Site Suggestions and what NOT to request - Read Before Posting - V2

Since there are various suggestions that get made over and over again, here are some things about which you should not make threads here. In general, such threads are unnecessary, as public interest in these topics is already recognized, but decisions have already been made regarding them.

1) Do not request the card maker to have a Dark Synchro or Xyz Monster function added.

2) Do not request post count to be disabled in the Introductions section.

3) Do not request anything related to the userlevel stars.

4) Do not request new boards to be created that cover a narrow topic.

5) Do not request to be made a moderator.

6) Do not request anything related to trading real-life cards on this site.

7) Do not request the deletion of inactive user accounts.

8) Do not request the card maker to use full-justification instead of left-alignment.

9) Do not request anything related to joke cards.

10) Do not request any form of online dueling feature to be added.

11) Do not request any form of chatroom or shoutbox to be added.

12) Do not request the card maker to have a Token Monster function added.

13) Do not request additional generators to be added to the card maker.

14) Do not request anything that is simply pointless.

These rules are here to avoid wasting everybody's time, since any topic made on these subjects will have about as much impact on the site as my vote in the next United States presidential election. And I'm not even an American citizen.

Failure to comply with these rules will result in your stupid, stupid topic being locked and a warn being slapped onto your forehead.

Details for each subject:

1) Do not request the card maker to have a Dark Synchro or Xyz Monster function added.

The Yu-Gi-Oh Card Maker is patterned off of the actual collectable and trading card games, and while Dark Synchro Monsters play a sizable role in the 5D's anime, they do not actually exist in the real game, and as such will not be added to the card maker. Once Dark Synchro Monsters are officially confirmed to be arriving in the real game, they will be added to the site; until then, they will not be added. Unless, of course YCMaker just feels like randomly adding them, but either way, threads about this are pointless.

Temporary amendment: As for Xyz Monsters, while they do exist in the real game, they have yet to be added to the TCG. Countless threads demanding Synchros to be added were made, and even then it took a while for the Synchro option to be added. Even when the Xyz Monsters are released in the TCG, refrain from making these topics. YCMaker will add them eventually, so just be patient. ~ Phantom Roxas

2) Do not request post count to be disabled in the Introductions section.

The Introductions section is often accused of being filled with people spamming copy-pasted messages in order to increase their post count. However, YCMaker has declared that he will not disable post count there, because it encourages people to welcome new users. Like it or not, your complaints will not reverse this policy.

(Besides, it's just post count. It's not like it matters. Grow up, people.)

3) Do not request anything related to the userlevel stars.

People tend to request things like adding a new seven-star userlevel for people other than YCMaker, adding Dark Synchro Stars to the userlevel system, and so on. Put simply, these changes are completely pointless, and given the reasonably low number of users who currently have six level stars, are unnecessary. Eventually, a new level may be added, but no topic made here is going to influence when this happens.

(The Dark Synchro Stars suggestion is particularly stupid. First of all, it's completely random. Second of all, it doesn't make sense; they represent negative levels, so why would they be above the positive levels? Third of all, since the card maker doesn't support Dark Synchro Monsters, using their Level Stars on the forum would be stupid. Sixth and lastly, the colours clash with this site's white background, so it would look ugly.)

4) Do not request new boards to be created that cover a narrow topic.

Some sites have lots and lots of boards - in some cases literally millions.

YCM has 33. And you can't even see them all. And you can't post in all the ones that you can see.

Because of this, every board must count. Therefore, any new board that would be added to YCM needs to cover a reasonably broad topic, or there is simply no point in making them. Video Games? Broad enough; we added it. Movie Reviews? Not broad. Not added.

Use discretion here, but as a rule of thumb, any board that would be less popular than Debates will not be created.

5) Do not request to be made a moderator.

If YCMaker opens a moderator application thread, feel free to apply there. Other than that, don't request to be made a moderator anywhere - including here. If more moderators are needed and you seem like a good candidate, you will be contacted.

6) Do not request anything related to trading real-life cards on this site.

Card Trade once existed, and it is gone now - for a very good reason.

YCM's staff has no control over what trades are conducted. As such, any system of card trade that could be implemented would inevitably lead to nothing but a long series of scams and broken deals.

If you want to trade cards, use something like eBay, or some other site that supports card trade. We don't. And won't. Ever.

7) Do not request the deletion of inactive user accounts.

I don't know why this was even suggested. I guess you people who enjoy reading through the member list during your free time get bothered by this when you're not preoccupied by your inability to associate with human beings. Or perhaps you were just concerned that our inactive members were using up too many of the available usernames, even though enough possible usernames exist to allow every person on earth to make a billion of them without ever using up more than the tiniest fraction of a single percent of the total number available - if you don't believe me, then you can run the numbers yourself, if you're actually smart enough to calculate them properly, which if you actually considered suggesting this, you aren't.

Deleting inactive accounts, on top of being completely and utterly pointless, would discourage people from returning to this site after absences, and would prevent them from saving their cards on this site via the card maker.

This will not happen.

8) Do not request the card maker to use full-justification instead of left-alignment.

If you do not know what this forbidden suggestion is even talking about, then let me explain: The difference between left-aligned text and full-justified text is that left-aligned text only lines up on the left-hand side, as with forum posts, whereas full-justified text lines up properly on both the left and the right sides, as with most books.

Real cards use full-justification, whereas the card maker uses left-alignment. This has been acknowledged as the least realistic aspect of the card maker; however, YCMaker has publicly stated that, though he would like to change this, it cannot be changed for programming reasons:

[justify]

I've wanted to do this for a while' date=' but there a few things that are holding me back. PHP has no built-in functionality that allows the justification of text, so I would have to program it myself. The Card Maker currently calculates the needed length of each line of text, and then renders it onto the card, line by line. In order to appropriately space out the text to be justified, the description would have to be rendered word by word, as opposed to line by line. This would dramatically increase the generating time, as well as put additional strain on the server. I've been looking for a solution to this for a while, but as of yet I haven't found one. If I ever do, though, I won't hesitate to implement it.

[/quote'][/justify]

As such, this may be corrected at some point in the future, but your requests won't make it happen any sooner, so don't make them.

Also, I full-justified the quote, just to provide an example of it if you still don't understand. Aren't I nice?

9) Do not request anything related to joke cards.

Currently, joke cards have one thread to themselves, in Games (where post count doesn't matter), and nothing more. Several people have asked that their territory be expanded.

The short answer is: No.

Joke cards, scientific experts have concluded, are never funny and contribute nothing of value to the site. They don't need a board to themselves, because such a board would be terrible; they don't even need their topic moved to somewhere where post count is enabled, as joke cards are so worthless that posting them is not an act deserving of even a single post count. And post count has no importance at all, so that's saying something.

10) Do not request any form of online dueling feature to be added.

For clarification, this means that you are not allowed to ask for a section of the site to be added wherein members are able to duel against one another using cards created by the card maker.

I could explain that such a feature would be very time-consuming to program. I could explain that it would consume bandwidth. I could explain that there would be no practical way to gauge the balance of the masses of created cards that would be used. I could explain that such a feature is entirely unnecessary.

I could explain all of that. Fortunately, however, a nifty little downloadable program called the Yu-Gi-Oh! Virtual Desktop (commonly known as YVD) is available that already allows users to do everything that such an online dueling feature could possibly allow them to do. Thus, absolutely nothing is lost by excluding such a feature; if you want to duel with your cards, download YVD and you're all set.

11) Do not request any form of chatroom or shoutbox to be added.

Such a feature has been repeatedly suggested and shot down in the past; they would increase page loading times, be filled with pointless spam, and generally provide nothing of value to the site for which the forums and private messages would not already suffice. If you want to chat in such a manner, go get AIM or MSN or some similar instant messenger and use that.

12) Do not request the card maker to have a Token Monster function added.

Such a feature is singularly unnecessary. Tokens, by their design, are supposed to be represented by coins or buttons or any other random marker that can be found, not by specially-designed cards; though some Tokens have indeed been printed as cards, they have not been made in the same manner as normal cards, and are not intended to be used in the same manner at all. Furthermore, Token Monsters would not serve any additional creative purpose in terms of card design, as the cards capable of generating Tokens already by necessity define all of their significant properties.

Whether you want Tokens added or not is irrelevant; the end result is that demand for them has been recognized and overruled, and that further harping on this topic will serve no purpose.

13) Do not request additional generators to be added to the card maker.

This "additional generators" can be anything: Pokemon card generators, Magic card generators, signature generators, or just about anything of that sort.

Observe the title of this website. Does it say "Pokemon Card Maker" at the top of every page? No? Good. Now shut up.

14) Do not request anything that is simply pointless.

Here's a quick litmus test to find out whether your suggestion falls under this: ask yourself how your suggestion would be at all beneficial to the site. If your answer essentially boils down to "it would be pretty cool", then it is simply pointless. As an example, just about anything related to subject #3 above falls under this.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoshIcy

If I may Crabs...

Joke Cards, I have explicitly said that if done properly (akin to the MTG Unabridged Series'), they would be allowed in AoC without complaint.

If I may Crabs...

Joke Cards' date=' I have explicitly said that if done properly (akin to the MTG Unabridged Series'), they would be allowed in AoC without complaint.

[/quote']

Such cases are unspeakably rare, and the few instances in which they would occur are exceptions to the rule. The Joke Cards posted in the Games thread can stay right there.

I would like to ask why you didn't just edit the original one and change the title to say "Updated"?

Because I wanted to clean out the replies, and this was easier than going back and deleting everything. Besides, I dislike deleting things.

Good' date=' an update on what not to request. I believe my thread still meets these requirements.

Lets just hope people read this before they post...

[/quote']

This is YCM; don't be stupid.

Also, I suggest you add something that relates to Rules (whether overall or section Rules) being changed/added. Ideas such as these should be PM'd to YCMaker/Falling Pizza (if overall forum Rules) or a specific Moderator of that section (if section Rules).

Good' date=' an update on what not to request. I believe my thread still meets these requirements.

Lets just hope people read this before they post...

[/quote']

This is YCM; don't be stupid.

Also, I suggest you add something that relates to Rules (whether overall or section Rules) being changed/added. Ideas such as these should be PM'd to YCMaker/Falling Pizza (if overall forum Rules) or a specific Moderator of that section (if section Rules).

What's wrong with open discussion of proposed rule changes? I see nothing inherently wrong with such discussion; such changes would be major enough that a simple private message to one person in power hardly seems adequate; and it isn't as if we can say that all possible rule changes have already been suggested and rejected.

There should be a rule against plug-ins.

Could you elaborate?

People make some requests that will ultimately lead to:

Everyone else: OMG, this is good! +1 support!

Sushi: Goddammit, enough with these plug-in suggestions.

And that's just an extreme paraphrase. It's repetitive, and people should at least consider looking up if their requests are even possible to implement before making a thread.

People make some requests that will ultimately lead to:

Everyone else: OMG' date=' this is good! +1 support!

Sushi: Goddammit, enough with these plug-in suggestions.

And that's just an extreme paraphrase. It's repetitive, and people should at least consider looking up if their requests are even possible to implement before making a thread.

[/quote']

I used to do exactly the same thing to get the replies "OH WELLZ SOME1 MIGHT MAEKS IT!111!!", so I gave up and let them suggest their bullshit that'll never be created.

Archived