YCS Toronto Report

I wake up really early, but somehow I end up running late. While signing up for my COSSY ID and having my father fill out my decklist, a friend walks up and gives me free sleeves after hearing that the ones I had were illegal. After the tournament is delayed by 35 minutes, it finally starts.

[spoiler=Decklist]
Morphtronic OTK (41)

Monsters (21)

2x Cyber Dragon
3x Cyber Valley
2x Morphtronic Boarden
3x Morphtronic Boomboxen
3x Morphtronic Celfon
3x Morphtronic Radion
3x Morphtronic Remoten
2x Morphtronic Scopen

Spells (13)

1x Dark Hole
1x Giant Trunade
3x Junk Box
1x Limiter Removal
2x Machine Duplication
1x Monster Reborn
2x Morphtronic Accelerator
1x One for One
1x Reasoning

Traps (7)

2x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Mirror Force
1x Return from the Different Dimension
1x Torrential Tribute
2x Trap Stun

Extra Deck (15)

1x Ancient Fairy Dragon
1x Ancient Sacred Wyvern
1x Armory Arm
1x Black Rose Dragon
1x Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1x Colossal Fighter
1x Flamvell Uruquizas
1x Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth
1x Goyo Guardian
1x Magical Android
1x Power Tool Dragon
2x Stardust Dragon
1x Thought Ruler Archfiend
1x XX-Saber Gottoms

Side Deck (15)

2x Compulsory Evacuation Device
1x Cyber Dragon
1x Disappear
1x Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
2x Legendary Jujitsu Master
2x Light-Imprisoning Mirror
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
2x Prohibition
2x Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
[/spoiler]

Round 1: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Brad (Norleras)

Game 1: I inflict 100 damage with Celfon early game. I then get obliterated with a few random DARKs like DAD and Grepher after a Cold Wave.

Game 2: I side in 2 Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror and a copy of Disappear. I topdeck the first mirror and set it, and he MSTs it when I activate it. I then proceed to topdeck the second one. He somehow gets rid of it and uses Phantom of Chaos to copy Norleras and nuke the field and hand. His draw is useless, but I draw what I need to swarm. At that point, I just throw strong Synchros at him until he loses.

Game 3: We both pull big swarms, but my Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror weakens him. Eventually, our moves could be summed up with “I steal Thought Ruler with Goyo, your move.” Eventually, I got bored, so as I started my turn, all I said was “I will not allow this tug of war to continue.” With some random dude being all astonished at the side, I use RftDD to pay 4000 for 2 Boomboxen and a Boarden and hit for game.

1-0

Round 2: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Cody (Lightsworn)

Game 1: Obliterated without a chance to fight back. I got Stardust and a Mirror Force out, but he summoned JD and used Trap Stun to negate Mirror Force. When I summon Celfon, he uses Effect Veiler to leave me with a 100 ATK monster in ATK mode with no backrow. He hits for game.

Game 2: I use Celfon and pull out Radion, then proceed to set Trap Stun. He plays CyDra and gets a 2000 ATK Fortress and runs over my Radion. I topdeck Bottomless, summon CyDra, and use Fortress + CyDra for my own Fortress and hit directly. He summons a second CyDra and does the same, but I activate Bottomless. His response? A ridiculously convoluted move that results in several strong LS monsters and JD. I did not draw any of the 6 or so cards I sided in.

After the match, about 6 people challenged the CFD spam we pulled. We both point out that CFD’s summon is not a Fusion Summon, but some people insist that we’re wrong.

EDIT: I later heard that this guy then proceeded to top. Also, a BKSS ruling made the CFD thing illegal, but it wouldn't have changed much.

1-1

Round 3: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Alexander (Frognarchs)

Before game 1, I get a minor deck error warning because the judges didn’t understand the concept of an arrow, and thought I had a Side Deck of 16 and an Extra Deck of 14. Apparently, an arrow pointing Gottoms toward the Extra Deck column isn’t enough. Regardless, the game starts.

Game 1: He exactly counters all of my moves.

Game 2: While I hold him back a bit with my Side Deck stuff, he manages to get several Monarchs. The turn before I’m prepared to push for game, he summons Vanity’s Fiend. I draw and give up, revealing my hand: 2 Accelerators, Junk Box, Monster Reborn, Limiter Removal, Giant Trunade. He immediately responds with “Holy s***.”

1-2

My father and brothers show up for the Dragon Duel, and I mention the warning to my father, which angers him almost as much as not being able to speak Spanish at the tournament grounds.

Round 4: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Juan (Gladiator Beasts)

Game 1: As expected, I lose. GBs were always my worst matchup. I can’t be bothered to remember what happened, but my notes say he had 900LP left when he won.

Game 2: I side in some stuff, ranting about how there’s always about 9 cards I want to side in, but I only ever find 3-5 spaces. He rams into a JuJu with Darius, I use the JuJu for Cyber Valley fodder, then I set another JuJu and he rams into it with Darius again. I then pull a brain fart here, activating Trap Stun and then activating RftDD about two second later, paying 4000 for nothing. I immediately go for Magical Android and beatstick him to death with that, Scopen and Radion.

Game 3: The thing with Darius and double JuJu happens again, except that the first JuJu is used to summon Gottoms. After going through a good portion of my Extra Deck and forgetting to activate Valley’s effect when he attacks with a powered-up Laquari, he goes down.

2-2

Round 5: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Corbin (Lightsworns)

Game 1: He summons Lyla and sets a face-down. I summon PTD and attack it, Honest defeats it. During my Main Phase 2, I revive the monsters I used for PTD and go to Colossal Fighter and set Mirror Force. He uses Lyla to destroy Mirror Force, tributes it for Celestia and destroys Colossal, and ends up with exactly 4 LS monsters in grave for JD, he hits for game.

Game 2: I did not draw any of the 6 or so cards I sided in, so he does essentially the same thing.

2-3

Between rounds, I meet up with my friend, like I do between all matches. He has the same record as me. At this point, I end up literally praying that I don’t lose for the remainder of the tournament so I can pull an epic win by going X-3 with Morphs. The record I have at this point is the same as I usually get for Pokémon, but I get byes in Pokémon.

Round 6: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Lucas (Disaster Dragon)

After everyone got paired and such, there was a 40-minute or so delay for deck checks during which everyone had to remain in their seats. And I got thirsty… In any case, everyone cheered when the matches were allowed to start. During that time, the people sitting around me realized that someone lost on the Xbox YGO game on purpose, to make everyone think of The Game.

Game 1: I open with triple Valley, which causes an astonished reaction from my opponent, especially when I point out that that was one of my worst opening moves that day. His Koa’ki Meiru Drago pisses me off, but I destroy it with Accelerator. He gets a few strong monsters out, but I respond with Colossal Fighter to clear out his field. I win a few turns later.

Game 2: I side in Prohibition, Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror and Disappear. The game centers around those and how he messes with it. I get rid of his attempts at FGD and activate Mirror when he’s about to get LADD to his hand with Sarc. He eventually gets double REDRUM and Stardust. I summon Colossal and crash into both of his REDRUMs and run over Stardust. I then Bottomless a few things, but he ends up attacking with Prime Material Dragon while I don’t know what to block with Prohibition.

Game 3: I swap the Prohibitions for Compulsories. I open with a failed Celfon. After protecting it, I attack for 100. I block his attempts at hitting me in the same way as in game 2, except I use Disappear on his Totem Dragon. He then starts joking around about how it “wasn’t nice” and how it “convenitantly has a Dragon on its art. Time is called during my turn a while later with the LP total being 8000 to 7900. We delay the next round with 5 extra turns of me dealing damage to him to get to 6100. When turn 5 of EOMP starts, I flip Mirror. If I had not, he would have used REDRUM to revive Drago and win by 300.

3-3

After the game, I end up having a hard time remembering what I sided out for my cards, but luckily a spectator points out the cards for me. My friend also tells me about an opponent who summoned Overdragon with Future Fusion without properly reading Overdragon first, thinking it only got rid of his monsters. Said opponent apparently did not run Overload.

Round 7: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Anton (Quickdraw)

Both me and the buy next to me get a game win. Then my opponent comes up 2 minutes before a Match Loss would be awarded with a take-out bag of food and says “I scoop and drop”.

We end up playing for fun. He gets mad at himself for giving up without playing when he say my Morphs, but I beat him in the casual match. He had epically sharpied Dandylions that made it look menacing.

4-3

At this point, about 10 people congratulate me on going X-3 with Morphs instead of going X-5 or so.

Round 8: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS James Eden (Blackwings w/Rai-Oh)

All three games end up almost the same. I swarm and he Book of Moons me when I’m about to Synchro, but dies to either a powered-up Boomboxen or an 8100 ATK ASW.

I lose game 1 and win the other two.

5-3

After that round, I ask a judge what happens if Radion is removed from the field while Boomboxen is also out and being boosted by Limiter Removal. Apparently, Boomboxen’s ATK stays at 4000.

Round 9: Joseph (Morphtronics) VS Owen (Fableds/Dark Worlds)

As I sit down, my opponent says that I win because he’s too lazy to drop or Side Deck stuff. I point out that he’ll likely change his mind after seeing what deck I’m using.

Game 1: He uses Dark World Lightning to destroy Mirror Force (he would go on to do this for the other two games as well). His beaters get Bottomlessed, mine don’t.

Game 2: He mass summons monsters and gets 2 of the Fabled LV8 Synchro, a Sillva and 2 DEF mode Lurries, saying that they’re cute. I had already used TT. Plus, as I mentioned before, he always uses Dark World Lightning on my Mirror Force. I go down to 100, Dark Hole him, then he summons Beiige on his turn and wins

Game 3: I My first decent move is triple Celfon and Boarden direct attacking for 800. In any case, it ends up being a battle of low ATK. I eventually pull some ridiculously long drawing move with Cyber Valley and RftDD, ending up with a strong ASW. When it eventually gets strong enough, he scoops.

6-3

More people congratulate me for going 6-3 with Morphs. I find my friend’s match and he states that he went 5-4 with his Fortune Ladies. Final results are posted. I get 70th, he gets 130th. Pleased with myself, I go home after a 13-hour day devoted to children’s card games.

My brothers and I pull and find [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/152164-look-at-what-i-pulled-official-card-pulling-topic/page__view__findpost__p__4601518"]these[/url].

Props:
Going X-3 with Morphs.
"I will not allow this tug of war to continue."
Having games which were mostly funny or awesome, my descriptions didn’t do them justice.
My baby bro pulled Solemn Warning.
Getting to use Summon Chants during Round 9 with my opponent’s only response being “I’m too sober for this”.
Paying 4000+ all but 1 time that I used RftDD, and winning because of it.
This is the best I have done in any TCG tournament ever.
People agreeing with me that the next Special Edition should contain Kristya and Duality.
The epic Dandylion.
Disappear worked.

Slops:
3 Judges together made an incorrect ruling on Prohibition, allowing me to stop Treeborn Frog.
The dumb warning.
The slip-ups against GBs.
I was one win short of topping, or at least tying in game record with the people who barely didn’t make the cut.
I did not draw any of my major plays at the proper time for them to be effective throughout the entire tournament.
Round 5, Game 1.
The end of Round 3, Game 2.
20 or so people asking me if I want to trade, but I left my binder at home.
Wanting to side in 9 cards, but only having space for 5.
Losing to LS. Twice.
Being unable to find the other 6/8 of the Level Eater my friend and I I found on the ground.
My friend fails. I never explained why, but take my word for it.
My deck wasn't featured. sad.gif

"A Fusion Material Monster is a monster written on the card of a Fusion Monster, and which is needed to Special Summon or Fusion Summon the monster from the Extra Deck. Because of this, you cannot send "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" from your field to the Graveyard to Special Summon another "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" from your Extra Deck, since you are still using "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" as a Fusion Material Monster."

[quote]but my notes say he had 900LP left when he won.[/quote]

You are allowed to make notes? Didn't konami ban this for some retarded reason?

O_o

[quote]"A Fusion Material Monster is a monster written on the card of a Fusion Monster, and which is needed to Special Summon or Fusion Summon the monster from the Extra Deck. Because of this, you cannot send "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" from your field to the Graveyard to Special Summon another "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" from your Extra Deck, since you are still using "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" as a Fusion Material Monster."[/quote]

Does not make any sense ...

Amyway, good job. Sucks that you didn't get a feature, though.

[quote name='GenzoTheHarpist' timestamp='1283669486' post='4601917']
Incidentally, you did better than I did at locals. And I was running GBs.
[/quote]

Really? O.o

[quote name='Byakk' timestamp='1283693356' post='4602236']
"A Fusion Material Monster is a monster written on the card of a Fusion Monster, and which is needed to Special Summon or Fusion Summon the monster from the Extra Deck. Because of this, you cannot send "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" from your field to the Graveyard to Special Summon another "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" from your Extra Deck, since you are still using "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" as a Fusion Material Monster."
[/quote]

Meh. Seeing as the only difference that would cause is me dealing 1900 less damage, and I lost that game anyways, it doesn't matter. Hate the BKSS though.

[quote name='Manjoume Thunder' timestamp='1283693800' post='4602247']
You are allowed to make notes? Didn't konami ban this for some retarded reason?

O_o
[/quote]

My bad. By "notes" I meant the LP count that I kept from the match.

[quote name='eviljudai' timestamp='1283739173' post='4604877']
congratulations sir. I want you to know that other prominent sites are making commentary about your deck and linking into YCM. You've represented everyone with pride.

I actually followed a link from a different site to get to your report. Just awesome. Very good report as well. :D
[/quote]

Where? :huh:

[quote name='eviljudai' timestamp='1283739173' post='4604877']
congratulations sir. I want you to know that other prominent sites are making commentary about your deck and linking into YCM. You've represented everyone with pride.

I actually followed a link from a different site to get to your report. Just awesome. Very good report as well. :D
[/quote]

Odd. Google gave me nothing.

[quote name='Manjoume Thunder' timestamp='1283756278' post='4605545']
^
You need to have a DGZ account to view the forum. ;)
[/quote]

Oh. That forum people mention off-hand that I'm never able to find...

That explains a lot. Google's bots wouldn't be able to see the forum... And thus I cannot find the forum itself with Google either.

Archived