A Song Of Arcadia - [This Set is (an) Epic!] [51/??] (Keno vs. the Blackguards!)

Lord Smeagle

[center]

[spoiler=Good Rates]I'd like to clarify about what a "good rate" is. A "good rate" does not go like

[i]Cool cards bro 10/10[/i]

Nor does it even go like

[i]I worship the ground you walk on and these cards put mine to shame. These are the best cards evar. I want to have your babies.[/i]

Aside from being unnecessary, untrue, and creepy (respectively), these statements don't help me make my cards overall any better than they are. A good rate goes like

[i]Hey, these are cool. Card A would go really well in Deck X, and Card B is very anti-meta. Card C has a fun effect but is a little unbalanced, change this. Card D is completely broken. Card E is a good card but it's not very original or exciting. Oh, in Card F, "Attack Points" should read ATK. Card G doesn't really support the archetype.

X/10.[/i]

THIS, my friend, is a Good Rate. If you would give more rates like these, I and many other forum-goers would appreciate it and rep you.[/spoiler]

No, I'm not just tooting my own horn here. This set is actually going to be an epic - that is, [b]a lengthy narrative poem, ordinarily concerning a serious subject containing details of heroic deeds and events significant to a culture or nation - Yay Wikipedia![/b]

[i]

Come and listen to a song, an ode of quests and journeys long, a tale of armies ten thousand strong, a song of Arcadia.

[img]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/6728/85968q.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]When this card is summoned, except by its own effect, this card becomes a Field Spell Card, and all other monsters on the field are removed from play. Both players pick up the top 4 cards of their Deck. The owner of this card may summon any "Arcadia" monsters among them. Your opponent may summon any other monsters among them, ignoring summoning conditions. If all other "Arcadia" monsters summoned by this effect are removed from the field, activate 1 "Dark Times For Arcadia" from your Deck. If all non-"Arcadia" monsters summoned by this card's effect are removed from the field, activate 1 "Golden Age Of Arcadia" from your Deck and Special Summon this card.[/spoiler]

There was a knight of noble birth, her sword the swiftest on the earth, with Queen's own favor, and her mirth, a knight of Arcadia.

[img]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8148/85968l.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]This card gains 200 ATK for each Set card your opponent controls. If this card destroys a monster as a result of battle, draw 1 card for each Set card your opponent controls. If this card's attack is negated or fails to destroy a monster, your opponent may select and return a number of cards to the owner's hand equal to the number of Set cards they control.[/spoiler]

Her company on the journey: Hark! The archer, ne'er missed a mark, the arrow piercing through the dark on the edge of Arcadia...

[img]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1133/85968.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, you can declare a card type, then select 1 face-down Spell or Trap on the field, or 1 card in your opponent's hand, and send it to the Graveyard. If that card was the Type you declared, you can add 1 "Arcadia" monster from your Deck to your hand. If it was not the Type you declared, your opponent draws 1 card and "Arcadia" monsters cannot declare an attack this turn.[/spoiler]

The Queen, with wisdom and foresight, knew the brave and daring warriors might leave deeds for the royal scribe to write in the tomes of Arcadia.

[img]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1133/85968.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]When this card is destroyed, you may select 1 word longer than 4 letters in the name of the card that destroyed it. Then, Special Summon 1 "Arcadia" monster from your Deck. While you control that monster, "Arcadia" monsters are unaffected by the effects of cards that include the selected word in their card name.[/spoiler]

These three heroines journeyed far, beneath blazing sun and fortune's star, to the ancient halls of Rildegar on the edge of Arcadia...

From the golden palace where the High Queen Reigns
Over desolate hills to the frozen plains
To the tune of the Spellsinger's joyous strains
To the hallowed ground, to what still remains
Of Rildegar in Arcadia.

[img]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5921/85968gz.jpg[/img]

[spoiler='Lore']Your opponent cannot declare an attack until the 2nd Standby Phase after this card was activated. When a Level 3 or lower LIGHT Warrior-Type or Spellcaster-Type monster is summoned, Trap Cards cannot be activated. If the controller of this card activates an effect that destroys a monster or a Field Spell Card, destroy this card and take 1000 damage.[/spoiler]

When the bitter wind and the driving snow
Were absent, then their constant foe
Was the savage axe that the goblins throw!

[img]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8373/85968b.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]This card inflicts Piercing Damage. After this card attacks, change it to Defense Position. Then, select 1 other monster on the field and change it to Attack Position.[/spoiler]

And though Leira felled twenty warriors, though
Vermilia thirty with her bow
Wise Kelda had read enough to know
The pass that clever parties go
To avoid the hordes of Rildegar.

When through the snow they almost saw
Where icy plain met iron wall
At the entrance to that sacred hall
The earth, it trembled, and they all
Turned to the east, and heard the call
Of a beast unfathomed in the lands of Arcadia.

[img]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1521/85968j.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
The monster on the field with the highest ATK is unaffected by the effects of other Monster Cards. Once per turn, you can halve this card's ATK to Special Summon 1 Level 4 Beast-Type monster from your Deck.[/spoiler]

No fur so thick, no roar so fierce, an iron hide no sword could pierce, the beast that had lived a thousand years in Rildegar, unseen by Arcadia.

Never had a beast so great
Walked Arcadia (of late...)
But if it blocked the iron gate
of Rildegar, then its burning hate
Must be extinguished by the heroes of Arcadia.

Keen Vermilia took her aim
And lightning bolts were brought to shame
By the precision of her frame
Her iron arrows were to blame
To blind the beast, and leave it lame.

Then mighty Leira, free of dread
Leapt upon the creature's head
Steadied herself with feet of lead
And plunged her sword, beast stricken dead
A fountain sprayed the snow with red
And Leira too. But all she said
Was "Onward, for Arcadia!"

And now in Rildegar's frozen halls
At last disturbed by sharp footfalls
They find the sword to best them all,
A sword to bring back to Arcadia.

[img]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2194/85968r.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. When this card is activated, increase your Life Points by half the ATK of the equipped monster, then halve the equipped monster's ATK. Once per turn, the equipped monster cannot be destroyed by battle. The equipped monster can attack twice per turn. If the equipped monster destroys two monsters as a result of battle in one turn, send this card to the Graveyard and activate 1 "Zephestis's Sword - Zenith" from your Deck.[/spoiler]

Thus they found the object of their quest
But Kelda, not content to rest
Explored the fell behemoth's nest
With fervor burning in her breast
She would never idly sit by, lest
She miss the ancient histories of Arcadia

And in the furthest frozen room
She found a most exquisite tomb
She called her allies, both of whom
Then gathered round to hear their doom
From a voice that once shook all of Arcadia.

[img]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2541/85968o.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]This card is used to Ritual Summon "Ril Degas, Black King Of Arcadia". You must also tribute monsters from your hand or field whose Level equals 8 or higher. You can remove this card in your Graveyard from play to negate the effect of 1 monster on the field until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

Flawlessly preserved in time
By golden coffin and freezing rime
The frozen queen spoke words sublime
From beyond the grave; a somber chime
That stirred three hearts of Arcadia[/i]

[b]"One among you, who have slain the last King of Rildegar, will supply another. Two lands he rules. Two blades he wears. Two worlds he sunders."[/b] [i]Then silence.

Fateful prophecy spoken deep
Would wake a dragon from its sleep
To rule Arcadia.

The heroes returned, marching tall
Leaving behind that frozen hall
The sword of saviors in their thrall
But on their hearts, a deathly pall
For they knew not what might await them in Arcadia.

But when fair Arcadia's sun had melted rime
They found a grand, most joyous time

[img]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1253/85968g.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]Level 4 or lower LIGHT Warrior-Type and Spellcaster-Type monsters gain 600 ATK. If this card was activated by the effect of another "Arcadia" card, if a LIGHT Warrior-Type or Spellcaster-Type monster's effect can normally be activated once per turn, it can be activated twice per turn. Damage to either player's Life Points is halved.[/spoiler]

On gardens lush, on fields of green,
On all the land a golden sheen
Content that no great foul had been
Wrought on the land, they met the Queen
To show her that which they had seen
In the halls of Rildegar on the edge of Arcadia.

[img]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1133/85968.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]When this card is summoned, add 1 Level 3 or lower LIGHT Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, if you control no monsters with more than 2000 ATK, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT Warrior-Type or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand. Your opponent cannot activate Field Spell Cards. You can only control one "High Queen Primavera Of Arcadia."[/spoiler]

They told her of the battles won, of proud sword blazing like the sun, but of their words, not even one, was the prophecy they heard in Rildegar of Arcadia.

With this quest, the Queen was pleased
The sword in hand, her troubles eased
To each heroine she'd grant their boon
Even a prize so great as the moon
Vermilia, with [i]modest taste[/i]
Requested fine verdant estates
Kelda's prize was but to vex
Herself with royal secret texts
Leira herself could not decide
For her, the man she stood beside
Was more than anyone could want in Arcadia.

[img]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4442/85968dz.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]All Level 4 or lower LIGHT Warrior-Type or Spellcaster-Type monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each Level 4 or lower LIGHT Warrior-Type or Spellcaster-Type monster you control. If all monsters you control are Level 3 or lower, at the start of your Battle Phase, you can select face-up cards your opponent controls equal to the number of LIGHT monsters you control. Those cards' effects are negated until the end of the Battle Phase.[/spoiler]

Pure of soul and strong of heart, skilled both in love and fighting arts, noble Sorel could ne'er depart from Queen, or fair home of Arcadia. [b](Sorel is the Queen's bodyguard, and fearing an assassination attempt, couldn't accompany Leira. She understood, of course.)[/b]

Two blazing hearts now reunited
And then their love in turn requited
They had a brief and fevered rest
Before the Queen gave yet another quest
Together, Leira and her lover
Would investigate and then uncover
A plot to infiltrate the loyal legions of Arcadia.

[img]http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3591/85968e.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]If your opponent controls 2 or more face-down Spell or Trap Cards, you can give your opponent control of this card to Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Warrior or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand. Once per turn, if your opponent controls this card, you can select 1 Spell or Trap Card that your opponent controls and activate it. If that card's timing is incorrect, OR if that card would remove a card from the field, negate and destroy that card. If that card can target a monster, but does not remove it from the field, it must target this card. During this card's controller's End Phase, if that player controls no Set Spell or Trap Cards, control of this card switches to the opponent. This card cannot be Tributed or used as a Synchro Material Monster.[/spoiler]

They suspect the traitors that might be
Are rifling through the armory
Within the armory they find
A thief and killer of the foulest kind
She makes off with the sword of treasure
And then proceeds, just for good measure
To reveal her own soldiers in the ranks of Arcadia!

[img]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8198/85968d.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]When this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you may Special Summon 1 "Sellsword of Arcadia" from either player's Deck.[/spoiler]

While two heroes, sell-swords soon surround,
Their leader flees to seize the crown!
Sorel alone brings them to battle
Slaying sold souls and swords like cattle.
"Go," he shouted, "and save the Queen!"
"Your wits be sharp and your eyes keen."
Blessing bestowed, she made much haste
To the throne room, where she found a taste
Of the Sword of Zephestim's power, brought against Arcadia!

[img]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2194/85968r.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]If this card is equipped to a monster except by the effect of a "Zephestis's Sword" card, return it to its owner's Deck and draw 1 card. When this card is equipped to a monster, declare one Card Type (Monster, Spell, or Trap). The equipped monster is unaffected by your opponent's cards of that type. The equipped monster gains 200 ATK times its Level. If the equipped monster is LIGHT, whenever it inflicts Battle Damage, gain that amount in Life Points instead. If the equipped monster is DARK, it inflicts Piercing Damage. When you have gained 1500 Life Points by this card's effect, return it to the Deck and activate 1 "Zephestis's Sword - Sunset" from your Deck. When you have inflicted more than 2000 points of damage with the equipped monster, return this card to the Deck and activate 1 "Zephestis's Sword - Eclipse" from your Deck.[/spoiler]

The mercenary fights with skill;
The sword reflects her undying will!
Its power radiant, its steel most cold
Assails the Knight with strength untold.
But stepping deftly past her foe
Leira scores the fatal blow.
Sword and slayer clatter to the floor
The mercenary is no more.
Out of the shadows of the throne
Comes a man whose face of stone
Is obscured in the shadows of Arcadia.

[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8774/85968h.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]This card cannot be Special Summoned. You can only control 1 "Dark Saint of Arcadia." Once per turn, you may look at the top or the bottom card of your opponent's Deck. If it is a monster, turn it face-up and shuffle it into the Deck. It's name is treated as "Sellsword of Arcadia" while it is in the Deck. If it is a Trap Card, send it to the Graveyard, and this card cannot be destroyed this turn. If it is a Spell Card, add it to your opponent's hand. They must activate that card at the beginning of their Main Phase. If they cannot, they take 1000 damage.[/spoiler]

The room is dead but for "saint" and knight
The fallen protector, the bringer of blight
Seeing the fallen hero's might
What plans has he on this foul night...in Arcadia?

The shadowed figure steps through gore
Takes the great sword from the floor
Leira struggles, wounded deep
But cannot rouse from near-death's sleep
Then out of darkness flies a blade
Brave Sorel comes to Leira's aid!

[img]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2121/85968z.jpg[/img]

[spoiler=Lore]Special Summon a Level 4 or lower LIGHT monster from your hand. Reduce its ATK to 0, then reduce the ATK of 1 monster your opponent controls by that card's original ATK. The ATK of all monsters affected by this effect returns to normal during your next Standby Phase.[/spoiler]

As the cloaked man's sword is poised to fall
Sorel's blade pins him to the wall.
Leira struggles with all her might
To her feet, and struck the light
Of life from the eyes of the Dark Saint of Arcadia.

[/i]

[color="#4B0082"][font="Impact"][size="7"][url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/221775-a-song-of-arcadia-a-truly-epic-set-17-sorels-heroic-entrance/page__view__findpost__p__4706404"]PART II HERE![/url][/size][/font][/color]

More to come. Image Credit: Jazin Kay, Google, Pixiv, DeviantArt.[/center]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm digging the Spellsinger's effect. She's a sweeper and a setter all wrapped up in a nice little box with a Bow on it. And the Knight errant has the ability to be a Doomburner if he's correctly combined. Swords of concealing Light and him are like, best friends.

The Scribe has a nice crippling effect. It has the ability to decimate decks like Crush Card Virus if used right.

Very nice overall, 9/10

-gives puppy eyes seeking a review of mai stuff-

[quote name='Lord Smeagle' timestamp='1284359198' post='4623218']
Both repped. Comment for jeno.
[/quote]

thanks for both! I replied to your comment there

But yah, on a Side Note, does the Scribe have an effect on card's whose effect is 'This Card is treated like Kaibaman' and such mix effects/material monsters?

Well, Well, The title doesn't lie. In fact its pretty accurate.
o Very Nice Effects.
o OCG: Almost perfect.
I've been away from card-making for a long time but I think that you never use "may" in a card effect only "can". Not completely sure
Names flow very nicely.
Poetry goes perfectly with the set.

10/10
Excellent

Okay, let's start from the beginning, because as we all know, a good story starts right there :)

First, the cards:
Kudos for the "Spellsinger", it sets the tone for a story-driven Set of cards (something I try to achieve for quite a while now). It indeed feels like the beginning of a story, brought to us by an Effect Monster (and not a Vanilla, that would be too easy). Since I review them as they come, I didn't take a look at said Spell Cards yet, will come to them as I see them.

Working with set cards is a new thing (at least for me), but the draw effect could be a bit broken against Spell/Trap heavy decks, since your ATK goes up as well. The drawback is very nice though and remedies what I said before (again, I review them as I go through)... I guess a Knight shouldn't go down that easily imho, but it's still a nice and refreshing card.

I always loved sniping cards like the Arcadian Marksman, so why should this one be an exception? It's not as clever and original as the first two, but it get's the job done and supports the archetype... and it of course fits the picture, something I attach importance to as well.

The "Scribe" is insanely awesome. You're going new ways there, and that's always something I'm looking forward to. It's obvious to choose something involving names with that picture (made one myself, with mediocre success), but this one is unique, playable (my opinion) and overall well designed.

What I'm missing is a bond between those three... of course, they support each other by just being "Arcadia" cards, but a stronger connection between those three would've looked nice, though I know it's not easy to achieve. But you could also say that they all have their specialites: Monsters, Hand destruction, Effect control (or something like that)... however you put, they're a nice heroic team... and all female, another plus point right there :D

The "Hallowed Entrance" took me a bit to figure out. But it's a solid card, name and effect work perfectly together, and the drawback makes up for the save summoning and also makes sense in the context of the story.

The Goblin Hordes are your basic enemy, I guess the ATK is a bit high if you compare it with your heroes, but it get's the job done. Nothing to astonishing, but I guess they shouldn't be.

Same goes for the Behemoth, though I really like the first effect, rooted in it's beasty nature. Of course, most of the time this card will be the one who gains this effect, but maybe there is a card in this set that can teach this one what real fear is ;)

"Sunrise" does a solid job at being a legendary sword, but something is missing, which I guess we will see if the sun rises further. The conditions for that are quite unique, the overall effect fits, nothing more to say.

A Ritual card, now we're picking up the pace, don't we? Well, it's your basic Ritual Spell Card with a little twist, nothing to comment on, except maybe that the picture is pretty awesome and manages to still fit in the whole theme.

So that's the "Golden Age of Arcadia", huh? It sure looks and sounds like it. Activating an effect twice per turn would bring forth a broken combo outside of this set, I'm pretty sure, but that doesn't matter, because like the story has a beginning and an end, this Set begins and ends where the story does. Therefor, this card represents the Golden Age quite well.

And that's the Queen for you. Yeah, she sure does her job pretty well if you ask me, preventing the Golden Age from destruction and summoning new heroes to do her bidding. The rest is basic stuff, but it fits in the set (and the story). I hoped for a bit more uniqueness on the Queen, but I shouldn't complain, that doesn't make her a bad card.

Sorel has way too low DEF for a bodyguard :P But other than that, it's another not too astonishing, but solid card that does what it has to do. His (though judging from the picture I'd say it's definitely a "she") place in the story is a bit downplayed, but oh well, not everybody can be a hero after all ;) And he (she) finally set's up a new line of events, so I guess that makes up for it.

Sadly I can only read the effect of the last card because the picture is the same as Sorel's :(
But it has a complex, yet unique effect that involves set cards once more... a bit confusing as well, but I guess it will lighten up as soon as I have a picture and name (and type of card for that matter, but I guess it's a monster).

*phew*

Now for the set as a whole (the first story ark is completed after all):
Did you write that story/poem yourself? I suppose so, and if that's the case, you hereby earned a +Rep. Because that's not only a set of randomly selected cards, it's also a piece of art that only works when seen (and read) as a whole. The poem itself is already quite impressive, but in relation with the cards it get's just awesome. I can't believe I missed out on this one for so long... however, I hope the 3 (2/4/X) heroes continue their journey *clicks on Watch Topic and adds this thread to his signature* ;)

Just don't forget to fix that last picture :D

So long,

Spoon

Wow, I was not expecting such a detailed review! Thanks.

Last pic is fixed. Upon closer inspection, yes, I suppose the paladin was probably female. Hilariously, even though this pic is more likely a dude, the original picture was manlier! Since he doesn't look nearly so divinely-empowered anymore, I changed him to a "Guardian," and since he looked less aggressive, I lowered his ATK and raised his DEF.

D'you really think the poetry is good? I thought it was a bit cheesy in some places, myself.

[quote name='Lord Smeagle' timestamp='1285602467' post='4660770']
D'you really think the poetry is good? I thought it was a bit cheesy in some places, myself.[/quote]

Well, yeah... but I'm pretty bad at poems, I'm more the... searching for the correct word in english, search unsuccessful :(... "narrative" guy, so I can't really judge it, but what I can say is that it gives the Set a truly epic fealing. Yes, it's bended heavily sometimes, but it's selfmade, and it delivers the story in a way that fits. That's all, and that's all that this poem needs to be good in my opinion ;)

Archived