Yu-Gi-Oh! - Dead Zone [FINISHED]

Vector Nightmare

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314325430' post='5469315']
Yes this is back at last. Hooray.

To kick things off, the set up for the penultimate arc is revealed more or less straight away, with Yuusuke vs Jacqueline, Maya vs Maya(Sinclair), and finishing Ebony vs Ivory with Kiishiro possibly invloved too. I find pluses and minuses in this. There have been some big battles that have been in the offing for a while now and need to be resolved, before the final arc. Lee vs Inoue was hinted at, I dunno about leaving that hanging in thin air for too long unless that opens the final arc. Possibly a major problem is that Kiishiro has barely been seen this arc unless he makes a dramatic impact late on, and Yenma, Bando, Christina haven't really featured at all.[/quote]

Maya's and Yuusuke's plot threads had been progressing too slowly, and I feared that if I left them hanging any longer, the conclusion would lose most of its impact. That's why I decided to resolve their individual struggles in this arc, with them facing their arch-nemesis, so that they're ready for the final arc's events. As for Kiishiro, I figured he was getting quite a bit of spotlight already, so it was ok for him to lay low for this - but he'll definitely get the spotlight in the finale. And yeah, I know Yenma and Christina didn't make an appearance here, but I couldn't fit all of them. I was debating on having Yenma take Sugita's place here, but Sugita needed some exposition, and Yenma wouldn't be able to win in that situation, which would be problematic. Christina will get her piece of the pie in the next arc, and Takechi as well.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314325430' post='5469315']As for the first of our three duels, I'm really happy with how this turned out. Lockdown decks are difficult to navigate a hero out of a tough position of (captain obvious) which is why they don't seem to appear that often. Delighted that BLS is Yuusuke's boss, but now you realise that you must work CED in as well somehow. You know you want to.[/quote]

I'm glad you liked this duel. Considering it was a duel I wrote after a long period of not touching Yu-gi-oh at all, I'm satisfied it went down well. The problem isn't whether I want to or not, the thing is that I decided to not use Banned cards in the story, simply because they end up being 'easy' answer to a lot of difficult situations. Hero needs just one more card to make a reversal? Bam, Pot of Greed. Etc etc. A deck I'd really like to have someone use is the Yata-Garasu lockdown, and have him finish an opponent off by 40(!) direct attacks in a row while he can do nothing. But ah well.

What was most satisfying was the graceful way that Jacqueline left. As someone (might have been yourself) not all baddies have to be stomping great maniacs. Its funny how those with the purest intentions can sometimes do the most harm, but I really liked the way you handled her passing as someone who meant well, just made the wrong choices and couldn't escape. I'm genuinely sad for her passing, so well done sir.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314325430' post='5469315']As for Ms Rayleigh, that was weird (not badly written weird, I mean weird personality weird). As one plot line closes, another mystery opens... Hmmmm...[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. There's a lot to be discovered in the final arc.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314325430' post='5469315']As for the remaining members of DI and their decks; well the only six that haven't been used at all in this story are Dragunity, Gusto, X-Saber, Gishki, Gem-Knights and Vylon. I remember you saying I got one right last time I tried this and I'm adamant that was my prediction Lee will use Dragunity. Thingy is probably right about Rayleigh using Gusto, so that leaves Inoue... I've no idea, can't see any potential symbolism in the remaining ones except Vylon.[/quote]

Sorry to say that this time, you are wrong on all counts =/. X-Saber was slated for Sakakibara Danjuro (the Earth finalist of the Element Cycle), but I decided to go with a more flashy deck for him. Lee won't use Dragunity, Lynette won't use Gusta, and Inoue won't use Vairon. Also I'm loving how everyone assumes that Dunkan is necessarily the one without a DT deck.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314325430' post='5469315']All in all looking forward to everything thats in store. Starting with Maya's next (turbo, yes) duel.

PS: Use C.E.D!!!
[/quote]

Maya's duel won't be a Riding duel, but it will be one of the more unconventional duels you've read yet.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1314356597' post='5470007']
Maya's and Yuusuke's plot threads had been progressing too slowly, and I feared that if I left them hanging any longer, the conclusion would lose most of its impact. That's why I decided to resolve their individual struggles in this arc, with them facing their arch-nemesis, so that they're ready for the final arc's events. As for Kiishiro, I figured he was getting quite a bit of spotlight already, so it was ok for him to lay low for this - but he'll definitely get the spotlight in the finale. And yeah, I know Yenma and Christina didn't make an appearance here, but I couldn't fit all of them. I was debating on having Yenma take Sugita's place here, but Sugita needed some exposition, and Yenma wouldn't be able to win in that situation, which would be problematic. Christina will get her piece of the pie in the next arc, and Takechi as well.
[/quote]

I don't think they've been that slow, but you're the author. And you definately made the right call with Sugita.

[quote]
I'm glad you liked this duel. Considering it was a duel I wrote after a long period of not touching Yu-gi-oh at all, I'm satisfied it went down well. The problem isn't whether I want to or not, the thing is that I decided to not use Banned cards in the story, simply because they end up being 'easy' answer to a lot of difficult situations. Hero needs just one more card to make a reversal? Bam, Pot of Greed. Etc etc. A deck I'd really like to have someone use is the Yata-Garasu lockdown, and have him finish an opponent off by 40(!) direct attacks in a row while he can do nothing. But ah well.[/quote]

Well, yes I see your point. But I don't think making one exception with a monster such as CED would be the end of the world. Obviously spammable spells and traps like Pot, Charity, etc all the time would be naff. I know I've used a few too many but I only considered them for plot devices or because I had to. You rightly critisied my use of Mirage of Nightmares, although I stand by the inclusions of the other four (five including the one that appears in my final duel).

[quote]
Sorry to say that this time, you are wrong on all counts =/. X-Saber was slated for Sakakibara Danjuro (the Earth finalist of the Element Cycle), but I decided to go with a more flashy deck for him. Lee won't use Dragunity, Lynette won't use Gusta, and Inoue won't use Vairon. Also I'm loving how everyone assumes that Dunkan is necessarily the one without a DT deck.
[/quote]

Really? That means I was right the first time about Inoue or Lynette then. If I was right about Inoue then that's... actually really awesome for where I'm concerned, considering I could do with reading a duel involving that archtype.

[quote]
Maya's duel won't be a Riding duel, but it will be one of the more unconventional duels you've read yet.
[/quote]

Intriguing, I'd like to read something a bit different. Won't be as unconvential as my final duel though I bet (mwahahaha).

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314381957' post='5470504']I don't think they've been that slow, but you're the author. And you definately made the right call with Sugita.[/quote]

Well, suffice to say, Yuusuke's and Maya's plotlines aren't quite over with these battles, and I would not have liked to stuff them all in the final arc. And I really wanted the main part of this arc to take the focus off Kiishiro for a bit. As should be obvious, Kiishiro is in a pretty bad place right now, but I certainly didn't want to rehash the drama a lot, because it gets extremely boring after a while. That's why I gave the spotlight to the other characters, and let Kiishiro lurk in the background until the right time.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314381957' post='5470504']Well, yes I see your point. But I don't think making one exception with a monster such as CED would be the end of the world. Obviously spammable spells and traps like Pot, Charity, etc all the time would be naff. I know I've used a few too many but I only considered them for plot devices or because I had to. You rightly critisied my use of Mirage of Nightmares, although I stand by the inclusions of the other four (five including the one that appears in my final duel).[/quote]

I suppose I could use Chaos Emperor Dragon. Chaos Emperor Dragon is actually much stronger than Chaos Soldier, stronger than a [i]whole damn lot of things[/i] in fact, so it's not quite the same. If I reach a situation where it would be a nice addition, I could use him, I suppose, but I don't plan to force him in simply because I used his counterpart.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314381957' post='5470504']Really? That means I was right the first time about Inoue or Lynette then. If I was right about Inoue then that's... actually really awesome for where I'm concerned, considering I could do with reading a duel involving that archtype.[/quote]

Erm, which were your original guesses about them? I don't quite remember.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1314381957' post='5470504']Intriguing, I'd like to read something a bit different. Won't be as unconvential as my final duel though I bet (mwahahaha).[/quote]

Probably not, but then again, this [i]isn't[/i] my final duel. Who knows what I have in store for that one (not too much, actually).

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1314400897' post='5471211']

I suppose I could use Chaos Emperor Dragon. Chaos Emperor Dragon is actually much stronger than Chaos Soldier, stronger than a [i]whole damn lot of things[/i] in fact, so it's not quite the same. If I reach a situation where it would be a nice addition, I could use him, I suppose, but I don't plan to force him in simply because I used his counterpart.
[/quote]

I will give you 1 like per chapter and 100 points if you have death-t come back and use CED.

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1314400897' post='5471211']
Erm, which were your original guesses about them? I don't quite remember.
[/quote]

[spoiler=My Original Guesses]
Inoue - Gishki
Lee - Dragunity
Dunkan - Vairon

Lee - Not a duelist
[/spoiler]

Hoping I was right with Inoue, although I can't see why I would be,

Fantastic chapter, once again. Glad to see you're still in the game.

I wonder who will be the other signers, the ones in control of Stardust and Red Archfiend...It would be awesome if they were from DI. Like, have the Dragunity-playing one pull out the Vajyrana combo and bring out Stardust.

Speaking of which...here are my guesses.

Inoue Sato -- I agree with Bahamut, it's Gishki
Lee -- Err...Gem-Knights?
Rayleigh -- None (Chaos Emperor Dragon deck, perhaps, to just screw with everyone?)
Dunkan -- Vylon, or Dragunity.

Alright, after a bit of delay, the next chapter's here. This is a chapter that has annoyed me quite a bit. I tried to make it as good as possible, but it somehow kept slipping, and there was always something I wasn't satisfied with... so please, let me know if I did alright, or if I failed. I somehow feel that I didn't manage to convey exactly what I wanted very well, but that might just be me overworrying. Anyway... here goes.

[spoiler=Chapter 57]
[center][b][u]Chapter 57:[/b] Swing of Memories[/u][/center]

Maya faced off against Sinclair in the empty darkness. Between them, a large circle glowing a pale white, like a pool of molten silver, presumably forming the arena where the duel would take place, illuminated the area slightly, but not far enough to discern either walls or ceiling - if either existed.

"What is this place?" Maya asked uneasily. The Soul-Binding Pendant pulsed in her hand, but it was ice-cold to the touch.

"This is the edge of reality." Sinclair said. "In this place, pretense is rejected and only the truth can be allowed to exist. It is a place nor of this virtual reality, neither of the world outside it. Twenty five years ago, when a world was burned away by the Nexus, the aftermath was felt across the empty space throughout our dimension. Though Gregory Dunkan and his team had not begun delving into the practical applications of their theory yet, there were other people, with access to significant technology and knowledge. One such person was able to capture a small fragment of that ruined world, before it was reduced to nothingness, and salvage it by protecting it with a makeshift Outer Sphere. He allowed me to bridge that dimension to the virtual world, in order to bring you here."

"Miyataka Eizan." Maya growled. "Why would he do something like that?"

"Who knows?" Sinclair shrugged. "It doesn't matter. The people of this world worshipped deities of chaos, entities which could cross between dimensions. They used mystical rituals and grotesque technology to give birth to them and empower them, ultimately leading to their world being consumed by the Nexus. This place is part of a greater structure where their Gods were worshipped - but now it exists outside the scope of every world, and can thus observe events with flawless perspective. Here." She pointed at the crystal pool, which was now writhing, shapes appearing in its surface, a very realistic representation of depth giving the image a grotesque vividry. It depicted a massive building, which Maya assumed it was the very one they were standing in right now, in the shape of a pitch-black obelisk pointing to the burning sky. Meteors fell left and right, and swarms of people were filling the streets outside. Some were trying to gain entrance to the structure, but were halted by the impregnable metal gate. Others had simply fallen on their knees and prayed to an unanswering God. Most were dead or dying, either struck by the falling comets, or trampled by others as they tried to make their way close to the obelisk. The image whited out.

"Their priests sealed themselves in here, trying to escape the destruction. They thought they were the chosen ones, selected to survive." Sinclair said, no indication of her feelings in her tone. "This structure was reinforced enough to remain physically undamaged, and had gathered enough conceptual weight to withstand the energy of the Nexus for a short while, until it could be salvaged. Needless to say, the same did not apply to the humans within, who were burned like cinders once exposed to the void between realities."

"And, what are we going to do here?" Maya asked impatiently. "If you brought me here to fight, bring it on already."

"I was simply explaining to you the rules that will govern our battle." Sinclair said simply. "We are no longer in this virtual world, thus we cannot use the conventional means of dueling. However, we will follow the same structure." A massive ring with eight bright silver flames formed above their heads, concentric to the arena, but much larger. Each of the eight flames was burning brightly, casting some light onto the edges of the room. It was gigantic, the ceiling still invisible, but what could be assumed to be walls in the far distance were lined with giant statues of creatures the likes of which Maya had never seen before.

"These eight spheres will represent our Life Points, one for each thousand." Sinclair explained. "Whenever we take damage, the spheres will fade out of existence."

"Wait." Maya said. "You mean to say that... we will [i]share[/i] Life Points?"

"Of course." Sinclair answered, as if stating the obvious. "We are one and the same, after all, and this place realizes it. Regardless of who attacks and who is attacked, the damage will be deducted from the total. Also, once all spheres are extinguish - that is, when our Life Points hit zero - the Outer Sphere protecting this world will also disappear, and we will be incinerated by the Nexus."

"But that is madness!" Maya choked. "How can we fight each other like that? It'd be the same as trying to defeat ourselves."

"Precisely." Sinclair retorted, her expression stern. "It is a fate we cannot escape. I told you - if one dies, the other will disappear. But in death, we can be reunited. I cannot continue this half-life any longer. I am prepared to vanish, if that's what it takes."

Maya made as if to protest further, but then discerned something in Sinclair's eyes. Steely determination, a will that would not back down. A trait of herself, mirrored in what was a part of her. She could neither run nor hide from this. She had to follow through - the answer was surely out there somewhere, but as long as she denied herself, she would never find it.

"Understood." She said grimly. "Then, how will we fight? Surely Duel Disks and..."

"Such things are neither possible nor necessary here." Sinclair said. "This place is an altar of fallen spirits, which we will tame, and use to battle." She raised her hand, and within her palm lay a copy of the Soul-Binding Pendant that Maya held. "These things will do the trick. It is up to you to figure out how to use them. Now, I will take the lead."

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 8000[/i][/center]

In Maya's hand, five cards materialized, in the shape and form she was familiar with - but all were blank, pure white, much like the ones she had been given with Lorelei. By Sinclair's words, she was supposed to 'forge' them on the spot - except, she had no idea how to do that.

"Draw." Sinclair said. A sixth card appeared in her hand out of nowhere, which she held up above her head. It glowed with a deep blue light, and Maya could see shapes and colors appearing on it. "Permanent Magic card, Castle of the Gods - Valhalla. This room we stand in is hallowed ground where gods resided and were worshipped by mortals." The card in Sinclair's hand vanished, taking form in front of her. The pool between them shifted once again to show a marvellous golden castle, brilliant white sky above it - much unlike this dark, oppressive room they were standing in.

[spoiler=Castle of the Gods - Valhalla][b]Castle of the Gods - Valhalla[/b]
SPELL / Continuous
Once per turn, if you control no monsters, you can Special Summon 1 Fairy-Type monster from your hand.[/spoiler]

"Once per turn, I can summon an Angel via the effect of this card, if I have no monsters on the field." Sinclair smiled, another card taking form as she held it out. "This is what they worshipped - this is what they fell prey to. Ascend,
Fallen Angel Asmodeus!"

Maya covered her mouth in shock as, from within the seemingly endless depths of the liquid between them, a form began emerging, towering up to its full height. It was a white-clad angelic figure - but its chest was covered in black plates, its face concealed by a grotesque mask, and twin dark-feathered wings spread from its back.

[spoiler=Fallen Angel Asmodeus][b]Fallen Angel Asmodeus[/b]
DARK / Fairy
Level 8
3000/2500
This card cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck or Graveyard. Once per turn, you can send 1 Fairy-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. When this card you control is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, Special Summon 1 "Asmo Token" (Fairy-Type/DARK/Level 5/ATK 1800/DEF 1300) and 1 "Deus Token" (Fairy-Type/DARK/Level 3/ATK 1200/DEF 1200). An "Asmo Token" cannot be destroyed by card effects. A "Deus Token" cannot be destroyed by battle.[/spoiler]

"Asmodeus can, once per turn, send an Angel directly from the deck to the Graveyard." A card briefly appeared before Sinclair, and then dissolved into a black mist without Maya being able to see it. "And this is far from over." Sinclair warned. "Field magic, Tomb of The Dead Emperor!" This time, Maya was well-acquainted with the activated card, and this caused her much more horror than before, because she understood exactly what Sinclair intended to do.

[spoiler=Tomb of The Dead Emperor][b]Tomb of The Dead Emperor[/b]
SPELL / Field
Both players can Normal Summon or Set monsters without Tributing, by paying 1000 Life Points x the number of monsters needed for the Tribute Summon.[/spoiler]

"I give up two thousand Life Points." Sinclair said softly, as if with regret. Suddenly, both Sinclair's and Maya's own body seemed to shimmer, and Maya felt an agonizing stab of pain. She watched in horror as a gaseous sphere of white substance flowed from her body to the middle of the field, mirrored by a black mass originating from Sinclair. Two of the silver fireballs overhead flickered and dissipated, as the two conflicting forces met, melding into a new form.

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 6000[/i][/center]

"Light rose to balance the shadow." Sinclair continued her explanation, as the newborn creature took the form of an angel of light, encased in full silver armor and sporting crimson wings. "The two opposing forces were worshipped equally, because only from their unity could the power of chaos truly be tapped into. However, they failed to realize that light and dark were always one and the same. Chaos is truth. We cannot exist without duality. I summon Archangel Kristya!"

[spoiler=Archangel Kristya][b]Archangel Kristya[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 8
2800/2300
If you have exactly 4 Fairy-Type monsters in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When you do, add 1 Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard to your hand. Neither player can Special Summon monsters. If this face-up card would be sent from the field to the Graveyard, it returns to the top of the owner's Deck, instead.[/spoiler]

"With Archangel Kristya's effect, we cannot Special Summon any more monsters." Sinclair explained. "However, everything I need already exists on the field. Turn end."

Maya, still fazed from the appearance of the light and dark angels, paid little heed to the fact that another blank card that appeared in her hand. The first question that was tormenting her was how to win. If her Life Points were the same as the opponent's, one's loss would mean the defeat of the other, and in this situation, their demise. Sinclair had already claimed that she wasn't concerned by dying, so the only one who stood to lose something was Maya. And yet, Maya knew Sinclair hadn't brought her here to die. There was something, something that could be done, and perhaps through this duel, she could find the answer. But here, the second question kicked in. How to actually [i]play?[/i]

Certainly, she had observed Sinclair transform her blank cards into Spell cards, and also monsters. But as much as Maya prayed for one of her cards to turn into Black Hole, nothing happened. She thought about what Sinclair had said about these angels. If she was drawing them from the residual energy of this place... she raised a card uncertainly, praying for something, [i]anything[/i], to happen. The Soul-Binding Pendant tied around her neck pulsed weakly, but the card remained blank. Disheartened, Maya tried forcing other cards she was already familiar with to materialize, cards from her own deck. But everything she tried was exactly as fruitless as one would've thought under regular circumstances. She tried setting a card, in hopes that she could materialize a Trap card in her next turn - but she did not even have a clue about how to do that. The seconds passed, and she was growing increasingly desperate.

"I can't do this!" She moaned. She noticed cold sweat was running down her back - she was in the form of her virtual avatar here, and she had never experienced this before as Stiyel Crystal. Then again, she had never been in such a desperate situation before. One step away from death, and she could do [i]nothing[/i].

"What a fool you are." Sinclair shook her head. "You are trying to gaze beyond the horizon, and yet you can't even see what's right in front of your eyes." With a start, Maya realized the turn had already passed to Sinclair. [i]No![/i]

"Draw." Sinclair ignored her wordless plea. "I pay another two thousand Life Points." Maya groaned as another stab of pain followed this declaration, and twin energies converged into a third form. Two more fireballs shut down, and the room was now only half as bright as it used to be, despite the white and black lights projected by Kristya and Asmodeus respectively.

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 4000[/i][/center]

"Behold, the warrior queen of angels! Descend, Athena!" The flaring energy flew upwards, exploding into a massive pillar of light that connected the floor with the ceiling. When it subsided, a warrior-angel wielding a long spear and a shield, with rich silver hair and a beautiful white gown that came in stark contrast to her weaponry, came into view.

[spoiler=Athena][b]Athena[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 7
2600/800
Each time a Fairy-Type monster(s) is Summoned, inflict 600 damage to your opponent. Once per turn, you can send 1 face-up Fairy-Type monster you control, except "Athena", to the Graveyard to select 1 Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard, except "Athena", and Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

"The effect of Asmodeus activates, sending another angel from the deck to the Graveyard." Sinclair stated. "And now, for Athena's effect. By sending Kristya, which seals Special Summons, to the Graveyard, I can Special Summon any angel from my Graveyard! The monster I choose is this!" Kristya disappeared into a white hole, replaced by a pitch-black visage. The upper part of the construct was shaped like a jar, with two orange wings sprouting from its back. On the front of the black vase, a face could be seen, carved like a mask. Two hands protruded from the main body, which ended in a leaf-shaped base. "Fallen Angel Superbia!"

[spoiler=Fallen Angel Superbia][b]Fallen Angel Superbia[/b]
DARK / Fairy
Level 8
2900/2400
When this card is Special Summoned from your Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard, except "Darklord Superbia".[/spoiler]

"The effect of Athena triggers by the appearance of this monster, inflicting 600 damage to the opponent - to both of us." Athena raised her spear, pointing it at the sky - an arrow of light flew from its tip and struck the fifth fireball, which trembled and faded, losing half of its intensity.

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 3400[/i][/center]

"And now, the effect of Superbia activates. When she is revived, I can also revive another angel from the Graveyard, except Superbia herself. My target is the second monster sent there by Asmodeus - one you should be familiar with." She smiled. "Bathe this world in your holy light! The splendid VENUS!"

[spoiler=The splendid VENUS][b]The splendid VENUS[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 8
2800/2400
All non-Fairy-Type monsters lose 500 ATK and DEF. The activation and effects of your Spell and Trap Cards cannot be negated.[/spoiler]

Maya cursed. Not only these angel monsters, but one of the planet series? VENUS lives up to her epithet - otherworldly beauty clad in golden armor, four white wings spreading out behind her. Athena's effect triggered once more, fully taking down the fifth of the spheres, and causing the sixth one to waver.

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 2800[/i][/center]

"This is the second time you've faced one of these, isn't it?" Sinclair asked. The pool shifted to show the scene during the European tournament finals, her then opponent, Azgalor, summoning The tyrant NEPTUNE by releasing Cyber End Dragon and Hard Armdragon, a destructive combination. But even then, a lifetime ago, the situation had been reversible. She could still do something. Now... she didn't even know how to use her cards.

"This ends now." Sinclair whispered. "Asmodeus, direct attack!"

Closing her eyes, Maya allowed herself to sink into despair. She had come this far - and she would die, alone with herself, in the soon-to-be void between dimensions. If only things had been different - if only she knew how -

[i]Hold on.[/i]

Once again, she had been making a huge, terrible mistake. This was not what she should -

A dark, cackling streak of electrical energy flew forward from Asmodeus fingers, and just then -

"...oh. So you found it at last."

Between Maya and Sinclair's monsters, a small, black pendulum-like demon was floating, the high-frequency sound waves produced by it having dissolved Asmodeus' attacks.

[spoiler=Battle Fader][b]Battle Fader[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 1
0/0
When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, you can Special Summon this card from your hand and end the Battle Phase. If this card is Special Summoned with this effect, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.[/spoiler]

"Of course." Maya retorted with renewed confidence. "It was never about learning how to do it. It was about realizing that I knew it already." She watched as each of the five blank cards she now held was now slowly filled with substance. "We are one and the same, after all."

"And now that you've finally realized that, the true battle can begin." Sinclair nodded.

"Indeed." Maya smiled. "You are a part of me, and it was my own self that I discarded and rejected. But now I realize it - you are as necessary to me as I am to you. The part of me that is you - my pride, my willpower, my resolve to put the past behind me and move to the better future - those were what led to your existence, and now that we are apart, I realize I cannot be without these." A sixth card materialized in her hand. "It's time to counterattack."

[i]I will not lose to myself.[/i]

---

Gregory Dunkan grunted, slumping against the wall. He had not been able to observe Jacqueline's duel thanks to that accursed interference, but he had clearly sensed her demise. He did not care that she had died, but he did care that she had failed. One less tool to use, and he was already running short. Too short.

The alarm was subtle, almost inaudible, since it was to be picked up by the brain's subconscious functions rather than direct senses, which was possible in this virtual realm - yet it still struck Dunkan with the force of an earthquake. An intruder? At this time, and directly in the heart of this sanctuary? He stormed off, activating the full array of the Aria Tower's defensive mechanisms. But he had not managed to take one step off the portal room, when he came face-to-face with the invader.

There were several reasons why the existance of the single man before him was illogical. Aria Tower was inaccessible via direct routes - the only way to enter would be to warp to the area where it was located, and use the conventional entryway. Of course, Dunkan would have been notified long before the intruder even made it to the building in that case. Furthermore, the Machine Emperor monsters were stationed outside, ready to pick up on any enemy. Regardless of whether they could overpower or were defeated by the enemy, Dunkan would have known in case there was a battle, too. There simply hadn't been enough time to disable all these security measures since Dunkan last checked them - then the only way in would be to bypass them. This youthful man, with his piercing blue eyes and black hair that flowed richly onto his shoulders, clad in an adorned royal white cloak, had teleported directly inside the Aria Tower. The only one able to achieve such a feat that Dunkan had personally taken great care to prevent was his shadowy enemy, Miyataka Eizan. And while he attributed the name to the figure, somehow, he knew he was missing a key part.

Before he could say or do anything, though, the man that he supposed was Eizan raised his arms, as if to designate a surrender despite his haughty expression. "Peace." He called. "I am not here to battle, not just yet. Besides, you wouldn't want to waste all your trump cards trying to kill [i]me[/i]." What could be perceived as simple arrogance took a different meaning, as Dunkan observed how the outlines of the person before him did not quite mesh with the surrounding air, how there seemed to be a thin, vibrating veil between him and the atmosphere.

"A projection." He muttered. He had been so absorbed in trying to figure out how Miyataka Eizan had gotten into the Aria Tower, that he hadn't considered the simple possibility that he might not, actually, have gotten into the Aria Tower. Nevermind how difficult projecting an image in this space would have to be, it was certainly nothing compared to getting in physically.

At that moment, Lee and Nakahara burst into the corridor. They stopped dead in their tracks as soon as they took in the situation. Lee's face was a mask of anxiety - Nakahara's, a mask of pure terror. Dunkan barely spent a second to consider why she looked so terrified, or why they were still in the Tower while they were supposed to be out, hunting. His attention was currently fully devoted elsewhere.

"What do you want?" Dunkan demanded.

"For starters, I'm here to congratulate you." Eizan spread his arms, extending a smile that might have passed for genuinely warm, in different circumstances. "Despite the setbacks, your plan has been progressing superbly. Within the day - no, within hours, now - the Nexus should definitely be within your grasp."

"And yet you still think you can stop me." Dunkan said carefully. He knew he was dealing with a madman - a dangerous madman, more dangerous than any of the other obstacles.

"Oh, no, not at all." Eizan feigned surprise. "I am not trying to stop you. In fact, I very much hope you will succeed in your endeavor."

Dunkan narrowed his eyes. A trained liar, he could detect almost any deceit attempted towards him. However, there was no lie in those words. Only subverted truth. There was no doubt that Eizan wanted to oppose him. Therefore, the true meaning of his statement was that the real battle would only begin after the way to the Nexus had been fully paved. In that relatively small frame between the time of the control system's activation and the time that they would finally tap into the power of the Nexus, they would be at their most vulnerable. If Eizan did not care about reverting the portal - if such a thing was even remotely possible now - that would be the ideal time for him to strike. His words were as good as a declaration of war.

"Oh, and I also came here for a supplementary reason." The other added, almost an afterthought. "It was a bit of a shame that two of your group fell unsung, so to honor their memory, I brought you their final records." Two tiny black disks appeared in Dunkan's hands. "Now then. Farewell." With a mocking half-bow, the hologram of Miyataka Eizan vanished like mist.

"..." Without even glancing at them, Dunkan tossed the disks at Inoue. It was a miracle she managed to catch them, the way her whole body was trembling with terror. "Well, what are you waiting for?" He snapped. The woman gave a start and almost dropped the disks. "Analyze them! And you." He rounded on Lee, who had regained his composure, and was watching Nakahara's retreating form with curiosity. "Find out how he got in. Where he came from. And what he brought with him." There was no way Dunkan would believe that Eizan had come here just to give him those disks, whatever they contained. Surely some elaborate trap had been placed in the Aria Tower, and Dunkan would find it before it sprang under his feet.

Glaring at his departing subordinates, he thought it might be high time to clear out a few other issues as well.

---

Maya was cornered, and she knew it. Four monsters on the opponent's side, all high-end creatures of light and darkness. All she had to rely on was the doubtful strategy that materialized in her hand. Five of these cards were fully revealed, but the sixth card, that she had just drawn, remained a blank mystery. Maya was certain that this was the key she needed. But what could she -

Her eyes widened in realization. How could she not have seen this? The single possible way to 'win'. She raised the card overhead, and it began glowing fiercely, defying the darkness with the light of hope that ignited in Maya's heart.

"I give up two thousand more of our Life Points." She stated firmly. "To activate this Magic card." Two more of the spheres that hung overhead flickered and vanished, and the single one that was left was weakened. However, this should be the last of their Life Points to disappear, if Maya had her way.

[spoiler=Countdown to the End][b]Countdown to the End[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Pay 2000 Life Points. After 20 turns have passed (counting the turn you activate this card as the 1st turn), you win the Duel.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 800[/i][/center]

"Countdown to the End..." Sinclair muttered. "So, that is the answer you came up with. Very well." She smiled. "Don't think it will be as easy as holding out for twenty turns, though. The real test begins now."

Instead of responding, Maya examined the rest of her cards. She had what she needed to last for a few turns. "I summon Angel Saint Meltius." She declared. Wrapped in pure white feathers and surrounded by a golden halo, an armored angelic creature appeared on her field. "And then, I activate the Field Spell, Sanctuary of the Sky!" The macabre mausoleum gave way to an imposing marble hilltop acropolis, surrounded by a thick layer of clouds. "I set three cards face-down. Turn end."

[spoiler=Angel Saint Meltius][b]Angel Saint Meltius[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 4
1600/1200
Each time a Counter Trap Card is activated, gain 1000 Life Points, and if "The Sanctuary in the Sky" is face-up on the field, destroy 1 card your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sanctuary of the Sky][b]Sanctuary of the Sky[/b]
SPELL / Field
Battle Damage to the controller of a Fairy-Type monster from a battle involving that Fairy-Type monster becomes 0.[/spoiler]

A much brighter, much larger fireball than the one left to designate their Life Points ignited higher up above their heads,
forming the beginning of a much wider circle that Maya knew would eventually consist of twenty such spheres. At least, if her plan worked.

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 1[/i][/center]

"And so, the countdown begins." Sinclair sighed, looking upwards. Their forms illuminated by the flame, everything else coated in darkness - they truly looked too much alike despite their physical differences. "Let's see where the end of this journey will take us."

The pool rippled and the imagery depicted writhed and changed. The Soul-Binding Pendant burst ablaze in her hand, and she felt a violent jolt pulling her forward. In an instant, she was elsewhere.

[i]She was sitting a velvet couch, inside a spacious living room. She gasped. This was a place she recognized well. Thanks to her mother's profession, the whole family was travelling most of the time, and Maya's most common sleeping place was a hotel room. However, this was their home, deep in Ukraine. Their home... back when there was a 'they' to own a home, of course. That house had been sold years ago.

"What is that?" She heard herself say petulantly. Of course, her current self instantly realized the tall, bulky object her father had just carried into the room. It was a Duel Terminal booth - which meant that this vision occured roughly ten years ago, when her father had first introduced her to the virtual world.

Melodramatically, James Howland, her father, explained in as simple words as he could the concept of the virtual reality system, Duel Terminal. 7-year-old Maya grew reluctantly interested, and after some prodding from her father, decided to try it out.

Maya's heart clenched as she sat in front of the terminal, her fingers automatically moving on the keypad. Her father was hovering behind her. After a short while, Maya was smiling as she decided on name, appearance, and various other things for the avatar she was creating.[/i]

She blinked. She was back in the dark chamber, opposite to Sinclair. Her cheeks felt wet. That memory they had relived... a treasured memory from years long gone, a memory she could never go back to.

"That's right." Sinclair said, and Maya noticed her voice was trembling, too, as if she was about to cry. "Going back... is not easy. The past, the present, the future... can you rebuild your life, that now lies in ruins? This is the question you must answer. Draw."

"Counter Trap, open!" Maya had been caught by surprise, but she wasn't about to forget her purpose, or abandon her resolve. "Drastic Duster Drop activates when you draw cards, forcing you to discard one of them." The third card that had appeared in front of Sinclair vanished immediately.

[spoiler=Drastic Duster Drop][b]Drastic Duster Drop[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Activate only when your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand, including drawing a card(s). Your opponent discards 1 of those cards.[/spoiler]

"Furthermore, because Angel Saint Meltius is on the field, and a Counter Trap was activates, we regain a thousand Life Points." Surrounded by the holy light of the angel lord, Maya felt herself be revitalized, as another small sphere fully lit above her. "And since the Sanctuary of the Sky is also on the field, I can use Meltius' effect to destroy one of your cards - the one I target is Athena! Now your revival combo is shattered!"

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 1800[/i][/center]

"Impressive." Sinclair said as her monster disappeared in a burst of light. "Then, I'll use the effect of Asmodeus once more, sending one Angel monster from my deck to the Graveyard. And now, battle! Superbia, strike down Meltius!"

"Counter Trap, Negate Attack!" Maya declared. "Your Battle Phase ends instantly - and since Meltius and Sanctuary of the Sky are both on the field, we regain a thousand Life Points again, and Asmodeus is annihilated."

[spoiler=Negate Attack][b]Negate Attack[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Negate the attack and end the Battle Phase.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 2800[/i][/center]

"Very well." Sinclair nodded. "But, when Fallen Angel Asmodeus is destroyed, it leaves behind a legacy. The two wicked souls that comprise its existence linger on the field!" Two pitch-black gaseous wisps now hovered between Venus and Superbia, tracing circles against each other. "The Level 5, Asmo token, that is immune to destruction via card effects, and the Level 3, Deus token, that is immune to destruction by battle. And of course, I've only just begun. During the second Main Phase, I summon the Tuner monster, Chaos-End Master!" A small, white-winged angel appeared on the field, the fifth of Sinclair's monsters. Maya braced herself for what was certainly coming.

[spoiler=Chaos-End Master][b]Chaos-End Master[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy / Tuner
Level 3
1500/1000
If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Level 5 or higher monster with 1600 ATK or less from your Deck.[/spoiler]

"I tune the Level 5, Dark monster, Asmo token, to the Level 3, Chaos-End Master!" Sinclair announced. The two creatures were warped into the light of the pool, which shifted to depict a bottomless hole, through which a stairway formed by five black stars, crossing three circles, led upwards. A tremendous roar shook the room, and a form with which Maya was quite familiar appeared through the ground. "Synchro Summon! Dark End Dragon!"

[spoiler=Dark End Dragon][b]Dark End Dragon[/b]
DARK / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
2600/2100
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner DARK monsters
Once per turn, you can have this card lose 500 ATK and DEF, and send 1 monster your opponent controls to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Dark End Dragon's effect activates, reducing its attack and defense by 500 points, in order to send one of your monsters directly to the Graveyard." Maya winced as the tainted dragon unleashed a cataclysmic torrent filled with the energies of the void, twisting existence to completely erase Meltius from the field. "Turn end."

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 2[/i][/center]

Maya expected another surge of reminiscence to come, but nothing happened. She briefly wondered why, as a second fireball formed on the opposite side of the ring, near Sinclair. Regardless, even if she had managed to get rid of two of Sinclair's monsters, her situation had not improved much. She needed to find a solution, fast.

"Draw!" Another blank card appeared in her hand. Something sub-par wouldn't do. She focused, and the card began taking shape. "I release Battle Fader, to advance summon Wicked Emperor Gaius! The effect of Gaius removes The splendid VENUS from play!" The glorious angel was warped out of existence by a pitch-black ray from the dark overlord. With VENUS gone, the power of Gaius and Dark End Dragon was restored to normal.

[spoiler=Wicked Emperor Gaius][b]Wicked Emperor Gaius[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 6
2400/1000
When this card is Tribute Summoned, remove from play 1 card on the field. If it was a DARK Monster Card, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.[/spoiler]

"And now, battle!" Maya said decisively. This would cost some Life Points, but she had to take down Dark End Dragon. Gaius followed her orders obediently, sending forth a cackling sphere of black lightning, which consumed the opposing beast.

[center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 2500[/i][/center]

Maya sighed. The only monsters that remained before Sinclair were the Deus token, and Superbia. But that was not what she was worried about. With no more moves left, her turn was coming to an end, and with that...

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 3[/i][/center]

[i]The Duel Field, Blackstone Castle. She was standing atop the rail, opposite to a young man covered in a tattered brown cloak, clothing similar to that of a vagabond. She instantly knew this memory. Seven years ago, when she had claimed her first significant tournament victory, which had allowed her to participate in the national championship. She had allowed herself to be pushed far in this duel. Stormstrike, her opponent during this match, had XX-Saber Gatmuz, X-Saber Airbellum, and X-Saber Pashuul on the field. On his hand were two cards, but his Spell and Trap card zone was empty. Maya's monsters had all been destroyed during her last turn by a Holy Barrier - Mirror Force, and she was only left with two reverse cards, and one card in her hand. Her opponent was leading the score 1700 to Maya's 600. It seemed as if the match was truly one-sided - but Maya knew what was coming next.

"I release Pashuul to activate the effect of XX-Saber Gatmuz!" Stormstrike declared. Of course, there was no need to take the risk of facing a Battle Fader at this stage. The stocky armored swordsman disappeared, transforming into a ball of energy that was sucked into Gatmuz' blade. The leader of the X-Sabers, armored from head to toe in thick plate armor, raised his sword, which now glowed intensely, and pointed it towards Maya. A razor-sharp thin stream of light shot forth, striking the sole card in her hand. "Now you have nothing left in your hand to use!" He gloated.

"Maybe." Maya said expressionlessly. "But the card you so carelessly sent to the Graveyard is Demon Roar God Krus. And when she is discarded, I can revive another Demon Roar God monster, if its Level is 4 or lower. I revive Demon Roar God Grimro." The raven-haired succubus appeared before her.

"Tsk." Her opponent said. "Still, you won't hold out! Gatmuz attacks Grimro!"

"Trap, activate." Maya said coldly. "Hate Buster. When a devil monster on my field is attacked, this card destroys both the attacked and the attacking monster, and deals damage to you equal to your monster's power. Namely, you now take 3300 points of damage." Given no time to react, her opponent grunted as he was struck with the backlash of his failed attack, and his Life Points fell to zero.

"R - Ridiculous!" He yelled, staring at the field. "H - How can this be?! I lost - I lost, with this field?" He glared at her. "If only I hadn't used Gatmuz..." Maya had not seen a point in revealing her other Trap card, which was Phoenix Wing Wind Blast, a Trap that would have discarded Krus, triggering her effect anyway. The match had been as good as hers, but her opponent had sped the process up by using a discard effect against her deck. Still, he seemed oblivious to his mistake, glaring at her with outright hostility. Maya braced herself for the inevitable lash...[/i]

Both Maya and Sinclair staggered backwards as the vision dissipated. "Painful, isn't it?" Sinclair asked, bringing her hand to her heart. "Reliving these memories..."

"It has nothing to do with us any longer." Maya snapped, but she knew that wasn't quite true. That victory had led to her receiving Chaos Goddess from her father, the card that she felt was the key to her current situation. "Just go on." [i]I'll withstand this. I'll definitely find my path, no matter what.[/i]

"If you think that waiting for the Countdown to resolve will rectify things, you are mistaken." Sinclair said. There was no edge in her voice, only sadness. "Draw. I release the Deus token, to advance summon this! The greatest of the dark angels that rules over the black heavens, a creature as ancient as sin itself! Come, Fallen Angel Desire!"

Gold and crimson intertwined in this majestic, malevolent creature's wings and armor. Its arms were covered by huge bladed guards, meant for both attack and defense. It was humanoid in form and huge, much larger than Superbia.

[spoiler=Fallen Angel Desire][b]Fallen Angel Desire[/b]
DARK / Fairy
Level 10
3000/2800
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card can be Tribute Summoned by Tributing 1 Fairy-Type monster. Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can have this card lose 1000 ATK, and send 1 monster your opponent controls to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Desire attacks Gaius." Sinclair ordered without pause. Equally fast, Maya flipped open her reverse card.

"Gravity Bind will lock down all Level 4 or higher monsters, preventing them from attacking!" Bound by a super-gravity net, both Fallen Angels were dragged onto the ground, where they remained, kneeling under the suppressive effect.

[spoiler=Gravity Bind][b]Gravity Bind[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
All Level 4 or higher monsters on the field cannot attack.[/spoiler]

"A temporary reprieve, and an incomplete one." Sinclair said. "Desire has an effect. By reducing her attack by a thousand points, she can get rid of a monster you control." The fallen angel's wings extended, casting a cursed shadow across the arena that, upon coming in contact with Gaius, enlarged and animated, dragging the creature down into the abyss.

"And with that, my turn is done." She said. Once more, though a second sphere came into view near Sinclair's side, mirroring Maya's, nothing happened.

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 4[/i][/center]

Maya dragged a new card to her hand. It quickly took the shape of a card she was familiar with, but was of no use now. "I set a card." She said heavily. Turn end." They silently observed the fifth fireball ignite, aware of what was coming next.

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 5[/i][/center]

[i]Maya disconnected from the virtual world, slumping back against the armchair she was sitting on. For an instant, she thought it was extremely ironic to be experiencing a vision of her leaving the virtual reality, while still locked into it - but then she remembered she wasn't even truly inside the Duel Terminal system any more. The memory was not hard to place - she could sense her own exhileration and joy.

"You won!" Her mother exclaimed, hugging her tightly. Maya felt a powerful pang of sorrow. Katlyna Sienko was an international diplomat, and she rarely was at home once Maya had started going to school, but Maya had managed to get both her parents to stay long enough to observe the tournament finals. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Very well done, Maya!" Her father added with enthusiasm, helping her remove the D-Tacher and ruffling her hair. "Now, this calls for a feast!"

Her parents dragged her out of the room, laughing and chattering. Maya was almost driven to tears by the conflicting emotions - the happiness of that day filled her, and the despair at this memory that had been broken beyond repair stifled her.[/i]

The memory faded, and this time it took Maya several seconds to readjust to the present. This was one of her last happy memories with her parents. Soon afterwards, they had departed for that fated trip, from which they would never return.

"...draw." Sinclair muttered. "Nothing to be done. Turn end."

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 6[/i][/center]

Maya wished, for just one moment, that she would get a card that would make the duel end now. It went against everything she had attempted so far, but... she needed this to end. She didn't want to see, to hear, to [i]feel[/i]... even if it meant her death... her conflict, however, betrayed her, and the card in her hand remained blank. In this situation, she had no other choice.

"Turn... end." She whispered. The seventh fireball formed, and before the images in the pool shifted, Maya knew what she was about to experience. The most painful memory of all.

[center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 7[/i][/center]

[/spoiler]

What I find amusing is that, despite the fact that there are by now 6 different sets of predictions concerning Lee's, Dunkan's, Inoue's, and Lynette's decks, with at least some of them having hit something correctly, there's one common point that all but one have totally wrong =/.

Triple wow...

I can see why you might have been concerned about this, but you needn't have feared, this is an incredible chapter. Its well timed to stop the Ebony thing dragging on too much, and is just so atmospheric, and really really sad (in a good way I mean).

I know she's a main character and is unlikely to have it end here, but I am genuinely fearing for Maya's life and still think she could viably go out here. Stupid irrational thought I know, but it would be a beautiful way for her to go out if you did feel that way inclined and I wouldn't rage about it despite her being my favourite character.

I think I said Chapter 14 of the Dark Doorway was one of the best chapters I ever read of anything. This is very different so can't really compare, but because of the emotion in it, it is certainly very close if not level.

The whole Eizan thing kinda broke said mood. I know what happened was probably important and needed to be got in somewhere, and a break may have been necessary but... just in the middle of a really epically tragic scene to switch to "Hi, I'm your enemy. How you doing? Getting on well, everything fine? Good, I'm going to crush you by the way. Ta" was a bit... off... Maybe that could have been put off and used as a break in the final chapters, depending on how far events with DI and Eizan go along.

[quote name='機皇神龍アステリスク' timestamp='1315009033' post='5487705']I see what you mean about this being a very difficult chapter to get right, and it's solidly pulled off. There seems to me to be a big disconnect in the huge reaction she has to these memories, but I'll trust that it will make more sense.[/quote]

Well, she's in a fight for her existence, and reliving (not just seeing, but experiencing) memories from her past, when her parents were still alive. I guess you'll find out a bit more about the situation in the next chapter, but I wouldn't say her over-reaction-ness is unjustified even now.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1315075124' post='5489276']Triple wow...

I can see why you might have been concerned about this, but you needn't have feared, this is an incredible chapter. Its well timed to stop the Ebony thing dragging on too much, and is just so atmospheric, and really really sad (in a good way I mean).[/quote]

I'm very glad you liked it - I was worried because this chapter is quite heavy on the, hmm, 'new stuff', and introducing too many new things at this late stage was a precarious business.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1315075124' post='5489276']I know she's a main character and is unlikely to have it end here, but I am genuinely fearing for Maya's life and still think she could viably go out here. Stupid irrational thought I know, but it would be a beautiful way for her to go out if you did feel that way inclined and I wouldn't rage about it despite her being my favourite character.[/quote]

I think that may be owed partially to the fact that you don't know what she has to do to win. Usually it's basically: win the card game, and you're in the clear. But now it's pretty obvious that even Countdown isn't enough by itself to get her out of the situation. As for the actual outcome, well...

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1315075124' post='5489276']The whole Eizan thing kinda broke said mood. I know what happened was probably important and needed to be got in somewhere, and a break may have been necessary but... just in the middle of a really epically tragic scene to switch to "Hi, I'm your enemy. How you doing? Getting on well, everything fine? Good, I'm going to crush you by the way. Ta" was a bit... off... Maybe that could have been put off and used as a break in the final chapters, depending on how far events with DI and Eizan go along.[/quote]

That was intentionally placed there. Though this chapter was focused on Maya, because of the nature of her current situation, I didn't want it to feel too disconnected, and I certainly needed a break between the first segment and the next. I thought that a glimpse of Eizan - who is more connected to Maya's story than it might seem - and the others would be a fitting intermission. Well, I guess it didn't work that nicely, but at least now you know the basis for that decision.

I know I generally reply to most chapters with "Amazing job", and it's probably getting a little tiring now, but I'll have to do it one more time: great job. This is one of the best chapters I have ever read. You have managed to nail the thing so many YGO writers miss; you allow emotion and character development to flow even while you keep the dueling fast and gripping. Truly, well done, my good sir.

I still want to see Lee and Inoue go at it though.

Maybe it's been because I haven't read the chapters in a while, but I'm a bit confused about Maya's situation. I know that her parents died, so was she living with her grandfather or something? The only thing I can remember about this is one of your very first chapters, where Maya goes to her Duel Terminal chair in the junkyard (Is that correct?), so maybe she was living by herself or something, using her tournament winnings?

Eizan is getting more and more mysterious. The break was a little jarring, I have to admit, but now I want to see what happens with him more than ever.

I've just noticed one small thing that I don't think has been covered at all. It's not major but...

Base level Duel International employees, like Taihito and lower; their reaction and distress to what they must all surely realise by now is their companies doing hasn't really been covered. I mean woulkdn't DI need them to still be at work to keep the whole network... going? Or has Dunkan got that covered and I missed it?

I dunno, its nothing major, just something I thought of by chance whilst doing some stuff for future fic.

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1315148939' post='5491405']I know I generally reply to most chapters with "Amazing job", and it's probably getting a little tiring now, but I'll have to do it one more time: great job. This is one of the best chapters I have ever read. You have managed to nail the thing so many YGO writers miss; you allow emotion and character development to flow even while you keep the dueling fast and gripping. Truly, well done, my good sir.[/quote]

Thanks, that really means a lot to me. One of the common misconceptions about YGO is that card games don't mix with plot and character development, and you either have a duel going on, or the plot moves forward. My aim was to invert that - both the plot can progress, and characters can develop, while there still a duel running to keep the action going.

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1315148939' post='5491405']I still want to see Lee and Inoue go at it though.[/quote]

That wasn't likely in the first place, as neither of them is particularly fond of settling things by force, and given the stakes of a duel there, it wouldn't be a conclusion they'd favor.

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1315148939' post='5491405']Maybe it's been because I haven't read the chapters in a while, but I'm a bit confused about Maya's situation. I know that her parents died, so was she living with her grandfather or something? The only thing I can remember about this is one of your very first chapters, where Maya goes to her Duel Terminal chair in the junkyard (Is that correct?), so maybe she was living by herself or something, using her tournament winnings?[/quote]

After her parents died, Maya moved to Japan with her grandfather, but after a while she ran away from home and started living by herself, with a little help from Yuusuke and his family.

[quote name='Quiksilver' timestamp='1315148939' post='5491405']Eizan is getting more and more mysterious. The break was a little jarring, I have to admit, but now I want to see what happens with him more than ever.[/quote]

I just finished a segment of the next chapter that I realize would've probably been a better fit for that part rather than the Eizan part, which could've moved to the start of 58. Ah well.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1315155779' post='5491650']I've just noticed one small thing that I don't think has been covered at all. It's not major but...

Base level Duel International employees, like Taihito and lower; their reaction and distress to what they must all surely realise by now is their companies doing hasn't really been covered. I mean woulkdn't DI need them to still be at work to keep the whole network... going? Or has Dunkan got that covered and I missed it?

I dunno, its nothing major, just something I thought of by chance whilst doing some stuff for future fic.[/quote]

I think it's extremely unlikely anyone except those directly involved would guess that a virtual reality system is the cause for the global-level destruction that's going on outside. Besides, in most of the world electricity's out, and the only reason the system's still running is because Dunkan took provisions for it. And no, especially right now, there would be no need for external maintenance at all. Even if something breaks at this point, as long as it doesn't involve them and the portal to the Nexus, they wouldn't care, and they can take care of problems themselves, faster and more directly. So basically all of Duel International's employees that aren't involved in the scheme (and with some other exceptions) don't really have any work to do, and don't have any way to do their job even if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, 58 =/. This one was hard to write. It's also the longest chapter in the story so far. Had a lot to fit in here, and wanted to fit a lot more, too - but I had to cut it short some time. Please tell me what you think.

I know I've said this before, but... next ones shouldn't take this long. Really >.>

[spoiler=Chapter 58]
[center][center] [/center][/center]
[center][center][b][u]Chapter 58:[/u][/b][u] Baptism through Light and Darkness[/u]

[i]It was raining outside. Linda, the woman Maya's parents usually hired to take care of the house and their daughter while they were away, had just left. This shouldn't have been a problem - Maya could take care of herself fairly well already, and her parents should be returning in just a few hours. They should be... but even back then, Maya could not remove herself from the large glass sheet that overlooked their garden, turned into a liquid wall by the falling rain, trying in vain to suppress the anxiousness that she did not know how to explain.[/i]

[i]No, please, no.[/i]

[i]Tears wouldn't run from her eyes. Even when she saw Linda dashing back across the porch, a horrified expression marring her delicate features, when she finally confirmed that something was terribly, terribly wrong - even then, she had not cried. She wished she could cry now. But her body, her thoughts, her sensations - they were all trapped in that memory.[/i]

[i]"Miss Maya!" Linda exclaimed, almost walking into the closed door in her rush. "It's - it's terrible! Your parents - !!"[/i]

[i]Even as Linda managed to calm herself enough to explain the situation as gently as possible - really, how gently could one bring those news? - Maya did not cry. She wished she had cried, then. She mourned her parents later, of course. But the moment she learned of their death, she did not cry. She did not feel sorrow. She only felt a massive, irreparable void crack open in her heart. Though she often spent time alone, away from her parents - it was only then that she realized the true meaning of solitude.[/i]

[i]Maya could only watch, feel, as her body moved like a puppet. She did not remember what she had done after she had learned the news, and now she realized why. Taking a step back, she collapsed listlessly, Lina rushing to catch her before she fell. She slipped into unconsciousness, a cold, frightening void.[/i]

---

Maya and Sinclair slipped back into the surreal present. These memories they were both reliving were striking them like hammers, but they were affecting Maya, who had been slowly deteriorating in strength and willpower ever since Sinclair had been removed from her, much more badly. Sinclair herself, on the other hand, was driven by desperate determination. She wanted, she [i]needed[/i] to end this. "Draw." She said with a shaking voice. Nothing to get rid of Gravity Bind yet. With three cards in her hand, and both Fallen Angel Superbia and both Fallen Angel Desire on her field, she could not push for victory. She laid a card face-down and finished her turn.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 8[/i]

Maya's field was empty, barring the ticking Countdown and the restraining Gravity Bind, as well as one reverse card. However, she was obviously in no state to combat her. The last memory had drained all her will to fight. Another card appeared in her hand, but she didn't even react. Her turn ended, and Sinclair prepared herself for another dip into the past.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 9[/i]

[i]She was hunched over a Terminal screen. She was almost alone in the dark room. It was a bar that used to be an entertainment center, and had a relic of a terminal booth that noone ever used. It was late even for this place, and the few patrons, mostly poor folk with insufficient money to select a better place, were either staggering out, or snoring on the dirty tables. Somehow, Maya's parents had been acquaintances of the owner, so Maya often spent time here, since they had passed away.[/i]

[i]Two months had passed since that day. Maya would move to Japan, soon, to live with her relatives there. However, she couldn't bring herself to make her preparations. She spent most of the day locked in her room, browsing through the virtual world. Her popularity had skyrocketed since winning the national championship - now almost a year ago, a lifetime, it seemed - but she mostly restricted herself to private areas, ignoring any challenges or other approaches. It was easier to isolate herself here, than in the real world. Here, she had to contend with places like this. Away from lawyers and relatives, always there to offer compassion, but not understanding, never understanding. They all claimed they wanted to help her get over it - some might honestly mean that, too. But they did not understand. Maya didn't want to confront her life, didn't want to get over her parents' death. She just wanted to escape, to run away.[/i]

[i]Four objects had been placed on the terminal before her, each with its own significance. The first was her Duelist card, her identity in the virtual world. Stiyel Crystal. So many memories, so many painful memories. She loved her virtual persona - but right now she could not even think about her without a terrible hollow consuming her heart.[/i]

[i]Duel International had a few ground rules as far as terminal accounts were concerned. Only one account per person, matched by fingerprint identification. Though the system was generally fair, there were several ways to abuse it with more than one accounts available to you. Then, privacy. No personal details would be attached to your account, except in the company's strictly confidential files, which could in turn be used for account recovery should your Duelist Card be lost. It didn't matter who you were in the virtual world or what you did, your personal information would remain hidden unless a different contract was signed - for example, for advertising purposes. Even if Maya had won the European tournament, noone would know except those to whom she had personally disclosed her virtual identity.[/i]

[i]But, it wasn't enough. Maya wanted... a new beginning. To cut of the ties to the past, these ties that stung like vipers. The second item she had brought along - the Duel Monsters card, Chaos Goddess. Memories that had to be relinquished. And this brought her to the last two items. The first was another card - but this one was blank, depicting nothing. And the other...[/i]

[i]Shortly after she had won the national championship, she had received two letters. One informed her of a large sum of money that had been deposited to her account as a result of her accomplishment by Duel International. The second was unsigned, and contained something much different. This was the letter Maya was studying now again and again, trying to detect the true meaning hidden between the lines. That letter had also been accompanied by the card, and had revealed some astounding information.[/i]

[i]"Ah well. Doesn't hurt to try." She muttered. That letter held the promise of a new life. Maya scanned the card, unconsciously holding her breath. And, after a few seconds -[/i]

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Account Registration Complete.[/b][/i]
[i][b]Please Enter Account Information.[/b][/i]

[i]Maya paused for a few seconds. She knew she was walking on illegal grounds right now. Not just concerning Duel International's policy - the letter had explicitly stated that the creation of a second account required the use of a false identity. And yet... wasn't this what Maya wanted? A change. A chance to start anew. Something that would not constantly remind her of what she had been through, of what she would yet have to go through... her fingers hovered over the keys for a while, before she finally began typing, under the 'Name' field.[/i]

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i]Sinclair[/i]

"That is the truth you should have realized." Sinclair whispered. She wasn't even sure Maya could hear her. "You ran away. You tried to run from everything, hide from everything. But you cannot run any more. Draw." [i]Here.[/i]

"I summon Memory Crusher!" She declared. "With this, I'll erase it. All the pain... if we are united once more, it won't have to hurt." A winged demon with reptilian purple skin, flesh removed from its head, which resembled an exposed brain, materialized before her. This creature was of a low enough level to avoid Gravity Bind, and with its effect, could deal enough damage to finish the battle.

[spoiler=Memory Crusher][b]Memory Crusher[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 3
1000/600
If this card successfully attacks directly, inflict 100 damage to your opponent for each card in their Extra Deck.[/spoiler]

They had failed. It was beyond hope that they could reform properly in this world, anyway. What is broken can never be mended, not to its original shape. This was the only way. Maya was no longer in a position to fight. The memories that had been too much for her to handle - Sinclair was prepared to destroy that burden. "Memory Crusher, direct attack!"

For a moment, everything was quiet. The time turned to slow motion, and radiant dark energy pulsed around the demonic creature, ready to deal the last blow, to finish it all off...

"...just who the hell do you think you're talking to?"

These words, spoken quietly, were accompanied by a deafening noise and a gigantic blast of light that consumed everything. Sinclair felt the force of the shockwave push her backwards, and she struggled to maintain her footing. Bewildered, she glanced at Maya. She no longer looked hapless and downtrodden. She was glaring at Sinclair, her eyes ignited with fury, her whole body glowing like a sun in the middle of the darkness. Furthermore, all of Sinclair's monsters had vanished.

"Holy Barrier - Mirror Force." Maya announced coldly. "All your attacking monsters are eradicated."

"Why are you still fighting it?" Sinclair demanded. "You must have seen it yourself! There is no escape! No - "

"How dare you say that?" Maya screamed. "How dare you devalue all that we've been through, all that we've fought for! Realize this, Sinclair - I may have lost the part of me that is you, but the same also applies to you! Have you forgotten, forgotten that everything, everything can be overcome! Do not [i]dare[/i] to think I will forgive you if you give up!"

The tenth sphere formed over their heads. Now five fireballs were forming two quarters of a full circle, one hovering over Maya, the second over Sinclair. Maya pointed towards it with a steely expression. "As long as there's still something left, we can't give up! I will lose to anyone, but - I will never lose to myself!"

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 10[/i]

---

Yuusuke's eyes snapped open, and he literally bolted out of the bed. Where was he? The real world? No, he realized after a more careful glance. He was still inside the virtual reality, only now... the memories of his duel with Jacqueline, temporarily stowed away by his lapse into unconsciousness, flooded his brain. He caught his aching head. How had he ended up here, in his Duelist Home? After summoning Chaos Soldier, there was nothing -

"That card!" He exclaimed, quickly bringing up the appropriate panel. He breathed a deep sigh of relief upon noticing the chaotic swordsmaster, in a prominent place on top of his monster list. The monster given to him by Jacqueline herself, it held vast power that could be disastrous in the wrong hands. At least it was safe. But, who had found him and returned him? He rubbed his temples, trying to remember. There was noone around. Noone - except that woman, Lynette Rayleigh! After his victory, he would have been extremely vulnerable. That would have been the perfect opportunity to finish him off... had someone interfered? Instantly, he realized that whatever they had been trying to stop had not yet been terminated, as the unearthly melody of doom still pulsed across dimensions. It couldn't have been Ivory or Kiishiro who saved him. Could it have been Maya? He felt a throbbing fear darken his heart. No, Maya was still fighting. He could sense it. She was fighting... and it was a fight that she could not win. Nothing except a miracle could change that. A miracle... he brought his hands together, and prayed. Prayed for a miracle.

---

"My turn, draw!" Still in a daze, Maya glanced at her cards. They had taken form now. Excellent. "I'll show you, Sinclair, that we are much stronger than before! We can overcome everything, defeat everything, as long as we do not give up hope. I activate Magic Planter, sending Gravity Bind to the Graveyard in order to draw two cards, and lift the restriction on our Level 4 or higher monsters."

[spoiler=Magic Planter][b]Magic Planter[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Send 1 face-up Continuous Trap Card you control to the Graveyard. Draw 2 cards.[/spoiler]

"Next, One for One - I discard a monster to Special Summon a Level 1 monster from the deck!" She let one of her cards disappear in order to allow for a small, white-winged, blue-haired angel to materialize in front of her. "Effect Veiler!"

[spoiler=One for One][b]One for One[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Send 1 Monster Card from your hand to the Graveyard. Special Summon 1 Level 1 monster from your hand or Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Effect Veiler][b]Effect Veiler[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster / Tuner
Level 1
0/0
During your opponent's Main Phase, you can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard to select 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls. Negate the effect(s) of that monster until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"I remove from play the Hellway Patrol I just discarded to Special Summon Critter, and then Normal Summon Deathcaliber Knight!"

[spoiler=Hellway Patrol][b]Hellway Patrol[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1600/1200
When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the Level of the destroyed monster x 100. You can remove from play this card in your Graveyard to Special Summon 1 Fiend-Type monster with 2000 or less ATK from your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Critter][b]Critter[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 3
1000/600
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, add 1 monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Deathcaliber Knight][b]Deathcaliber Knight[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1900/1800
This card cannot be Special Summoned. When an Effect Monster's effect is activated, you must Tribute this card. Negate that effect's activation and destroy the monster.[/spoiler]

Sinclair was staring at the three monsters that had appeared before her, as if unable to comprehend the situation. Maya herself had difficulty adjusting to it. She did not know. She did not know what had dragged her out of that abyss of despair, and given her the will to fight, to strike back. Maybe it was reliving that memory, when she had created Sinclair - that she had finally realized just what she was fighting for here. No matter the reason, she would not hesitate any further.

"I tune the Level 4, Dark monster, Deathcaliber Knight, and the Level 3, Dark monster, Critter, to my Level 1, Light monster, Effect Veiler!" The battered undead knight and the three-eyed monster dissolved into molecules, that merged into a line of seven pitch-black stars, crossing through a single, shining golden circle. "Synchro Summon!" In the end, she saw it. She realized that, no matter how much these memories hurt, she should not run away from them. Because it was her own life, her own self, that was formed by them. "Descend, Chaos Goddess!"

[spoiler=Chaos Goddess][b]Chaos Goddess[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy / Synchro
Level 8
2500/1800
1 LIGHT Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner DARK monsters.
Once per turn, you can send 1 LIGHT monster from your hand to the Graveyard to select 1 Level 5 or higher DARK monster from your Graveyard. Special Summon that monster. It cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.[/spoiler]

The majestic angel queen of chaos slowly took form in this solitary plane of existence. She, too, was a part of Maya, as much as Sinclair was. Her very presence, the commanding force of black-and-white, cast a soothing aura onto the field. Maya would not be distracted, though.

"Critter's effect lets me retrieve a monster with low attack power from my deck, when it is sent to the Graveyard." She explained, and another card appeared in her hand. "And now..." The hesitation lasted only a fraction of a second. "Chaos Goddess, direct attack!"

"Eh?" Sinclair was clearly caught off-guard. "Trap, activate! Guard Block! One instance of battle damage is negated, and I can draw once!" She suddenly held a third card, just as the sphere of chaotic light that was beginning to form in the scepter of the Chaos Goddess dissipated.

[spoiler=Guard Block][b]Guard Block[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only during damage calculation during your opponent's turn. The Battle Damage you would receive becomes 0. Draw 1 card.[/spoiler]

"Oh?" Maya glanced at Sinclair inquisitively. "Why didn't you let that attack go through? You said that, if our Life Points reach zero, what you want will be accomplished." Sinclair looked at Maya for several, long moments. Then, she nodded imperceptibly.

"Very well. Show me your own path." She said. The exchange ended there, as another fireball appeared, and the world whited out.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 11[/i]

[i]This memory lay roughly a year after the previous one. Maya had finally abandoned Europe to move to Japan. But what the life she entered there was less than ideal. Her grandfather, Kirizaki Ryouga, who had brought her to stay at his manor, was a high-profile criminal, too powerful for action to be taken against him. He had treated her fairly well, considering, but shewas disgusted with the way he tried to include her to his schemes and exploit her status in the Duel Terminal. She had quickly fled the place, moving to a different, more isolated prefecture. She had begun attending school again. With her winnings from the tournament, her heritage, and her controlled lifestyle, she had the comfort of not needing an immediate job for a while, so she aimed to resume her studies.[/i]

[i]However, things were not as simple as that. As a foreigner, even though she was familiar with the Japanese language, she had to face a lot of discrimination and went through a lot of difficulty to adapt to her new environment. Still tormented by her grief, she was on the verge of depression. She began closing herself up even more, to the point where she barely spoke to other people. One such day, one month after school had started, she was returning to her apartment - immediately realizing that a rent would be an unprofitable long-term investment, she put down a large sum of money to purchase her own place. The blinding sun overhead seemed to mock her dark mood. At the very least, since she had slipped away from the main road, it had been relatively peaceful for that time of day.[/i]

[i]The silence was not to last, though. As she was about to take a turn further into another side road, she heard a voice call out behind her. "Maya! Kirizaki Maya!"[/i]

[i]She turned around tiredly, now facing a teenager with short, spiky black hair. He was quite taller than her, almost as tall as the average European, and his eyes were a rare, striking blue color. A couple of days earlier, there had been a minor rearrangement of the classes, and Maya vaguely recognized him as one of the students who had been allocated to her own class.[/i]

[i]"Can I help you?" She asked in a tone that suggested she was not willing to offer any help. However, he did not seem fazed. He smiled, and offered his hand.[/i]

[i]"My name's Aizawa Yuusuke." He said brightly. "Since you got out at this stop, I thought our homes might be close, but you walked quite a distance already. I had trouble catching up to you."[/i]

[i]Maya was almost going to say that she did not see why she should care, but something stopped her. Instead, she merely shrugged, not responding to the handshake. "My house is over there." She pointed vaguely in the general direction of her apartment, and began to walk away.[/i]

[i]"Hold on!" Yuusuke interrupted her. "You look like you just moved in recently, and you don't seem to have many friends at school. What I want to say, uh, is..." He realized his blunder as Maya locked a frosty glare at him. "Let's be friends." He extended his hand again.[/i]

[i]To this day, Maya did not know why she had caught his hand. She did not know what had led that gesture, a naive exchange between children, to evolve into such a strong friendship in a mere three years. However, it was what had made her smile again, what had taught her that, despite the adversity she faced, she could overcome it, overcome everything.[/i]

Silence reigned for a few moments after the scene faded away. Eleven balls of flame were now hanging overhead. The end was close now. What remained to be seen was how they could shape that end, if there was something to be done about it in the first place. Sinclair's field was empty, except for Valhalla, but she held three cards in her hand. Maya only had one, but Chaos Goddess also stood before her. The fight could go either way. But the outcome would be the same for both.

"Draw." Sinclair broke the silence first. "When I was separated from you, I learned something that you should understand as well. Conviction based on emotions towards others is worthless. Take a look around you. You are alone here, with only yourself to stand beside you, to stand against you. You should realize that your path is flawed. Your answer is wrong."

"We'll see about that." Maya challenged. "Come at me with all you have."

"I activate the effect of Castle of the Gods - Valhalla. Now that I control no monsters, I can Special Summon an angel monster from my hand. Come, Fallen Angel Edeh Arae!" Wings spread out like a soaring hawk, the armored, bulky horned gargoyle settled in front of Sinclair.

[spoiler=Fallen Angel Edeh Arae][b]Fallen Angel Edeh Arae[/b]
DARK / Fairy
Level 5
2300/2000
When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard, it gains the following effect:
• During battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster whose DEF is lower than the ATK of this card, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent.[/spoiler]

"Then, I activate Synchro Cancel." Maya watched in horror as, in the most anti-climactic way possible, Chaos Goddess dissolved in light. As the monster disappeared, she turned to look at her, sorrow carved in her serene features. However, the real shock had just begun. Inexplicably, on Sinclair's field, three forms materialized, which Maya instantly recognized as Effect Veiler, Deathcaliber Knight, and Critter.

[spoiler=Synchro Cancel][b]Synchro Cancel[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Select 1 face-up Synchro Monster. Return it to its owner's Extra Deck. Then, if all the monsters that were used for the Synchro Summon of that monster are in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon them.[/spoiler]

"H - how..." Maya mumbled. Synchro Cancel would reverse the process of a Synchro Summon, theoretically, but only if the material monsters were all in the Graveyard of the spell's user. This was...

"Does this surprise you?" Sinclair asked. "Our past, our future, they are all the same. What lies in our Graveyard, what awaits in our deck... they represent that. Just as we were once one, we will be so again, and the only thing that separates us is the present, right here and now. I tune the Level 4, Deathcaliber Knight, and the Level 3, Critter, to the Level 1, Effect Veiler! Synchro Summon!" Maya gasped as Chaos Goddess reformed, now on the opposing side of the field.

"Since Critter was sent from the field to the Graveyard, we can both activate its effect to add a card to our hand." One more card appeared in Sinclair's hand, and another one in Maya's. "I activate the effect of Chaos Goddess, discarding as a cost the Light monster, Honest." She smiled as the card briefly appeared between them, vanishing into a vortex of black light. "This lets me Special Summon a Level 6 or higher Dark monster from the Graveyard. Return, Superbia! And Superbia's effect also activates when she is revived, letting me also Special Summon Kristya! This will prevent you from escaping this fate by means of Battle Fader!"

Maya grimaced. Even without Kristya, she had not been able to conjure another Battle Fader to her hand. She glanced at the cards between her fingers. They felt so fragile, so inadequate now. Was she truly... this weak? She closed her eyes, bracing herself for the attack. But the strike never came.

"You've conveniently placed a timer on our showdown." Sinclair said, pointing upwards. "There is no need to rush. I need you to see exactly why you're wrong. I need you to understand why I discarded Honest right now. I set two cards. Turn end."

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 12[/i]

Maya trembled as the next card materialized in her hand. One step away from an obliterating defeat, and it was only because Sinclair had abandoned the chance to deliver a finishing blow that she was still -

Wait.

[i]Why[/i] hadn't Sinclair finished this? She had given a reasoning, but that was not enough. Maya knew there was something more. She narrowed her eyes, trying to think. Except... she did not have to. She did not have to work with her head to understand Sinclair's reasoning. All she had to do was think about herself. And once she decided that, the answer was obvious. Sinclair hadn't brought them here to die. Sinclair loathed to be defeated, just like Maya did. She would not succumb. So this last turn had been a 'message'. Her path was flawed. Sinclair had discarded Honest, which symbolized the bonds between Maya and Yuusuke. Did this mean that she could not rely on Yuusuke? On others? That she had to deal with everything herself.

[i]No.[/i] Instinctively, something told her that was a lie. She knew it, and because she knew it, Sinclair must have known it. Then, where was the error? Their past was the same, until their existences diverged. Their future would be the same, whatever that future might be. Then this left only the present. Somehow, the key lay there. But until she found it... she glanced at the card that had just appeared in her hand.

[spoiler=Creature Swap][b]Creature Swap[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Each player selects 1 monster they control and switches control of those monsters with each other. Those monsters cannot change their battle positions for the rest of this turn.[/spoiler]

"I set a monster, and activate Creature Swap. This causes us to select a monster on our respective sides of the field, and switch control between them. I choose my face-down monster."

"And I choose Edeh Arae." Sinclair of course picked the weakest of her four monsters, that could not defeat any of the others. But Maya had a different plan in mind.

"Very well." She said as the two creatures swapped places. "I will now use Fallen Angel Edeh Arae, to attack the face-down monster I just gave you." The gargoyle angel quickly swept across the field, slashing the reverse card down with a powerful blow.

"Metamorpot..." Sinclair muttered as the laughing jar broke to pieces before her, forcing each of them to draw five new cards.

[spoiler=Metamorpot][b]Metamorpot[/b]
EARTH / Rock
Level 2
700/600
FLIP: Both players discard their hands, then draw 5 cards.[/spoiler]

"I set three cards face-down." Maya said carefully. "Turn end." The thirteenth sphere came to life, and another memory began.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 13[/i]

[i]"I still don't get how you predicted that I had Honest in my hand." Yuusuke grumbled. "And what about your two Spells? You knew I was going to counter the first, so you saved Controller until after I had used Joker's effect!"[/i]

[i]Maya had been expecting this memory. This was less than two years ago, when they had dueled in the Sunlit Bay, and Yuusuke had given her Honest. The two were walking together along a quiet street. Maya remembered that day vividly. She could never accept that moment's like that should be discarded.[/i]

[i]"Your expression after using Jar of Avarice clearly betrayed that you had drawn something you could use to push for victory." Maya found herself explaining. Yuusuke had become a much better duelist since then, but his bluffing skills had not increased significantly. "Neither of your cards had been a Trap. I did not have any reverse cards set, so there was no reason to keep a potentially useful Trap in your hand at the time. You were confident that you could survive my turn. That meant that you had at least one way to counter Spell cards, and one way to counter monster effects, since I could have used either against you. Therefore, it was logical to assume you had drawn one monster, and one Spell card. I had Enemy Controller in my hand when Arcana Knight appeared, but I wanted to ensure its success, that is why I threatened you with destroying it first, forcing you to give up your card to protect it. And as for Honest - you have a particular expression when you get that card."[/i]

[i]That card...[/i]

And, just before she was jerked back to reality, Maya felt something click.

"I understand now." She said solemnly, looking Sinclair straight in the eyes.

"Then prove it." Sinclair smiled. "Draw! I activate Advance Draw, releasing Kristya to draw twice!" The great angel disappeared, and with her, the ability to Special Summon monsters again returned. "And now I discard a Light monster to trigger the effect of - "

[spoiler=Advance Draw][b]Advance Draw[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Tribute 1 face-up Level 8 or higher monster you control. Draw 2 cards.[/spoiler]

"Call of the Living Dead." Maya interrupted. "I can Special Summon a monster from my Graveyard. And, according to what you said..." The sacred angel reappeared on the field, this time under Maya's command.

[spoiler=Call of the Living Dead][b]Call of the Living Dead[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When this card is removed from the field, destroy the monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

"Cyclone!" Sinclair retaliated instantly.

[spoiler=Cyclone][b]Cyclone[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
Select 1 Spell or Trap Card on the field. Destroy it.[/spoiler]

"Dark Shrine Bribery."

[spoiler=Dark Shrine Bribery][b]Dark Shrine Bribery[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Negate the activation of an opponent's Spell or Trap Card and destroy it. Your opponent draws 1 card.[/spoiler]

Fazed from the quick exchange, the pair paused briefly. Maya still had Kristya and Edeh Arae on the field, backed by her last reverse card. Sinclair now held seven cards in her hand, and a reverse card left. There was also Chaos Goddess and Superbia on her field, but at the very least she could not Special Summon anything else. Not yet.

"Superbia attacks Kristya." Sinclair said slowly.

"Necro Gardna activates in my Graveyard, blocking the attack." Maya countered, as the ghastly warrior spectre that had been the sole card in her hand when Metamorpot's effect was triggered, materialized between the angels of darkness and light, halting their impending collision.

[spoiler=Necro Gardna][b]Necro Gardna[/b]
DARK / Warrior
Level 3
600/1300
Remove from play this card in your Graveyard to negate 1 attack this turn from a monster your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"Then Chaos Goddess attacks Edeh Arae!" Sinclair snapped. The goddess raised her scepter, and surging waves of white and black energy swept forward, cleansing the field of the demonic gargoyle.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 2300[/i]

"I... set three cards face-down. Turn end." Sinclair scowled. Yet another ball of fire formed above them, bringing the circle even closer to completion.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 14[/i]

"My turn." Maya said. It wouldn't be long now. Hopefully, it would be long enough. "I activate Extreme Cold Wave, then chain my reverse card, Forbidden Chalice, to negate Kristya's effect." Sinclair's eyes widened in surprise, as a sheet of frost covered all of her face-down cards, preventing her from activating anything for the rest of the turn.

[spoiler=Extreme Cold Wave][b]Extreme Cold Wave[/b]
SPELL / Normal
This card can only be activated at the start of your Main Phase 1. Until your next turn, you and your opponent cannot play or Set any Spell or Trap Cards.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Forbidden Chalice][b]Forbidden Chalice[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
One face-up monster on the field gains 400 ATK, but its effect is negated until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"Now I can Special Summon again. I remove from play Effect Veiler and Edeh Arae, to Special Summon Chaos Sorcerer from my hand!" The malefic sorcerer appeared on the field, twisting in his fingertips surges of light and darkness. "Chaos Sorcerer... its effect lets me remove one monster on the field from play. I choose... Chaos Goddess."

[spoiler=Chaos Sorcerer][b]Chaos Sorcerer[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 6
2300/2000
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster in your Graveyard from play. Once per turn, you can remove 1 face-up monster on the field from play. If you activate this effect, this card cannot attack during this turn.[/spoiler]

It was time to leave the past behind. If she was to win against herself, she could not be held down by anything. The goddess seemed to understand Maya's thoughts, as, even as she was disappearing in a huge sphere of chaotic energy, she graced her with a knowing smile. Sinclair remained quiet, hands crossed in front of her chest, awaiting Maya's next move.

"I Normal Summon Agent of Mystery - Earth!" Maya called out the last remaining card in her hand. There were still many things hidden from her, many mysteries to uncover. But no matter how dark the path ahead, there was always light at the end of the road. A sagely fairy with lustrous silver hair, covered in bright shades of green and blue, materialized on the field, a vision of the planet Earth behind it.

[spoiler=Agent of Mystery - Earth][b]Agent of Mystery - Earth[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy / Tuner
Level 2
1000/800
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can add 1 "Agent" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Agent of Mystery - Earth". While "Sanctuary of the Sky" is face-up on the field, you can add 1 "Master Hyperion" from your Deck to your hand instead.[/spoiler]

"Even though Sanctuary of the Sky is being negated, it's still there, and that means Agent of Mystery - Earth can add a specific card to my hand! This monster can be Special Summoned by removing from play any Agent monster on my field - so I will remove from play Earth, to Special Summon Master Hyperion!" The hapless fairy screamed as she was swallowed in a gigantic sphere of flame, the replica of the planet imploding into an apocalyptic blaze. From within, a giant statue in shades of crimson and gold, backed by the blazing sun, materialized.

[spoiler=Master Hyperion][b]Master Hyperion[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 8
2700/2100
You can Special Summon this card from your hand by removing from play 1 "Agent" monster in your hand, field, or Graveyard. Once per turn, you can remove from play 1 LIGHT Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard to select 1 card on the field, and destroy it. If "Sanctuary of the Sky" is face-up on the field, you can activate this effect up to twice per turn.[/spoiler]

"Hyperion's effect lets me, up to twice per turn now that Sanctuary of the Sky is in play, remove a Light Angel from the Graveyard to destroy a card on the field. I remove both Athena and The splendid VENUS from play, to destroy two of your face-down cards!" Mirror Force and Torrential Burial were blasted into particles, never being given a chance to be triggered.

"And now Kristya, attack Superbia!" This time, there was no interference in the battle. Superbia tried to fly out of the way of Kristya's sword with speed that belied her bulk, but the vindicator angel, empowered by the Forbidden Chalice, shot a ball of white flame that intercepted her opponent. Not missing the opportunity, she brought down her blade of judgment, and Superbia was destroyed instantly.

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Collective Life Points[/b]: 2000[/i]

"We've come this far." Maya said. "I'll return your words to you. I will not finish this now - I need you to understand where you are wrong. Turn end." As she said that, she wondered what memory they would relive next.

"Oh, it's not [i]your[/i] memory." Sinclair said, as though she had read her mind. "It's mine."

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 15[/i]

[i]The feeling that consumed Maya as she raced along the spiralling path was... numbness. Something was off. She wasn't being controlled, not exactly. But still... her mind that was processing her experiences was detached from her body, even moreso than during the other memories. However, that didn't stop her from understanding the situation. She was in a Riding Duel, and her opponent - no, her opponents - were riding directly behind and ahead of her. She turned her head to check the score panel, and her eyes widened in shock as she recognized one of the names attached to it. Thunderbolt Knight. She was facing Sanjou Kiishiro![/i]

[i]"Behold! I summon Debris Dragon!" It was now Kiishiro's turn. "Debris Dragon's effect activates, Special Summoning Dandylion from my Graveyard! And now I tune my Level 3 Dandylion to my Level 4 Debris Dragon!" Maya's breath caught. That same feeling she had had when she first met Kiishiro, that inexplicable revulsion - it was here now, stronger than ever. The two creatures converged into a line of three stars, crossing an array of four circles. "Synchro Summon! Appear, Black Rose Dragon!"A monster Maya had never seen before, a black-and-red dragon covered in rose petals, tentacles filled with sharp thorns protruding from its lower body, came into viewbefore her.[/i]

[i]Only now did she realize her own state. She had Sun Dragon Inti on the field, and 6000 Life Points. Life Points that were about to take a deep dive, as the other duelist that was riding behind her, who was apparently allied with Kiishiro against her, some Greyblade, activated Synchro Stream to give his own monster's power - another unknown dragon - to Black Rose.[/i]

[i]And then she realized what was repelling her. It was those two dragons, and at the same time, the connection they had to their wielders. It wasn't something she could explain, but somehow, as she took in the form of the floral beast that was about to drive its attack home, all she could feel was anger, sorrow, hatred... darkness.[/i]

"What... was the outcome of that fight?" Maya asked, a little dizzily.

"They won." Sinclair said crisply. "Using the power of the Crimson Dragon, they overwhelmed me." The Crimson Dragon. Ivory had mentioned something like that. But she couldn't ever trust something as vile as what she had felt, when looking at those creatures.

"They cannot be trusted, you feel that." Sinclair said abruptly. "This was why you always hated Sanjou Kiishiro. They wear the guise of protectors, but they are destroyers. In the end, they will betray us. They will bring ruin worse than what they prevent. But that is neither here nor now."

Maya shook her head. Sinclair was right. Whatever the case with Kiishiro and the others, and however Yuusuke might be involved with them - she could figure it out later. As long as there was a later. Sinclair drew her card.

"We're approaching the finale." She noted. "Let these last turns prove which side of us is stronger, for it is only with strength that we can push forward. I activate Spiritual Operation, taking control of Chaos Sorcerer and using it to remove Kristya from play!" Maya grimaced as her monster changed sides, and used its unholy power to remove yet another one of her creatures. But she knew there was more to come

[spoiler=Spiritual Operation][b]Spiritual Operation[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Take control of 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field until the End Phase. This monster cannot declare an attack or be Tributed.[/spoiler]

"With Kristya gone, I activate my face-down Miraculous Descent, returning a removed from play Angel monster to the field. Return to me, Chaos Goddess!" Bathed in sanctified light, the ruler of chaos returned to the arena. Maya's eyes lowered sorrowfully. The past, the present, the future - they all converged, here and now.

[spoiler=Miraculous Descent][b]Miraculous Descent[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 of your Fairy-Type monsters that is removed from play and Special Summon it. When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

"I activate the effect of Chaos Goddess again, discarding a Light monster to Special Summon Dark End Dragon!" The tainted black creature rose from a maelstrom of ashes, roaring with unsuppressed brutality. "Next, I Normal Summon Hell Security!" The small airborne devil also joined the field.

[spoiler=Hell Security][b]Hell Security[/b]
DARK / Fiend / Tuner
Level 1
100/600
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, Special Summon 1 Level 1 Fiend-Type monster from your Deck.[/spoiler]

"I tune the Level 6, Chaos Sorcerer, to the Level 1, Hell Security! Synchro Summon! Arcanite Magician!" Maya noticed that the world around them, the space they had been isolated in, was also reaching its limits. She could hear distant rumbling, as if the walls that were protecting them were collapsing into some endless abyss. The howling of a wind of death almost drowned their voices, a wind that would purge them out of existence instantly. Sinclair didn't seem to pay attention - her sole focus was Maya. But Maya herself found a lifeline in this.

[spoiler=Arcanite Magician][b]Arcanite Magician[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster / Synchro
Level 7
400/1800
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Spellcaster-Type monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, place 2 Spell Counters on it. This card gains 1000 ATK for each Spell Counter on it. You can remove 1 Spell Counter from a card you control to destroy 1 card your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"Dark End Dragon's effect sends Hyperion to the Graveyard." Sinclair snarled. The only thing that could be protecting them was the barrier of light around them. Maya was left utterly defenseless once more. Her field was completely empty, but...

"I won't hesitate this time." She warned, raising her hand. "It's over. My conviction was stronger. Chaos Goddess, attack directly!"

Maya closed her eyes. Certainly, there seemed to be nothing she could do to stop the swirling bolt of energy that was heading towards her. But the attack never struck home, for a pendulum-like creature materialized between her and Sinclair, ending the battle in a standstill.

"Why you - that's impossible!" Sinclair yelled. "Battle Fader? How? You have no cards in your hand!"

"I don't?" Maya asked frostily. "From where I'm standing, that's not quite true." She pointed at the cards in Sinclair's hand, which were now down to two. "We're close now, Sinclair. This paradox cannot continue any longer. We're rejected by reality - we are becoming one once again."

"Th - this is..." Sinclair glanced around her. Wild lances of lighting streaked across the surface of a translucent dome that surrounded them and their monsters. Beyond that, nothing existed. Only a terrible, endless void. And in the faraway distance, a white vortex of energy -

"Watch." Sinclair's attention snapped back to Maya, who was walking swiftly towards her. Stepping on the silver pool, the liquid rippled, withstanding her weight, and the images dispersed into a kaleidoscope of colors. "I set the two cards in your hand." Sinclair's last cards vanished.

"It's too late." Sinclair mumbled, her turn finished. "We... can't escape any more."

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 16[/i]

"Can't we?" Maya raised the Soul-Binding Pendant, which was now glowing more fiercely than ever, pulsing as if alive. "I told you! I've found our path. Draw. I set a card, and end my turn. And now I activate all three reverse cards, Fire Clock of Destiny! This progresses the turn order forward by three turns!" The last four spheres of flame filled the circle completely, and reality rippled as its very boundaries were pushed to the limit. The barrier began cracking, giving way - a few moments more, and this remnant plane would be devoured by the infinite abyss. A spiralling kaleidoscope of images filled Maya's and Sinclair's minds. Visions of the past, the present, the future - everything they had lived through, together and apart, their whole lives compressed into those few seconds.

[spoiler=Fire Clock of Destiny][b]Fire Clock of Destiny[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Move the turn count forward by 1 turn. The turn in which this card is activated continues as normal.[/spoiler]

[/center][/center]
[center][center][i][b]Countdown to the End[/b]: 17->18->19->20[/i]

"Final turn." Maya whispered. They were in front of each other now, almost touching. "It was never about relying on Yuusuke too much, Sinclair. It was about not relying on him enough."

"I see." Sinclair muttered in response, smiling softly. "If that is your answer..." Her fingertips touched the pendant, whose luster magnified drastically. A huge blast rattled the dome from the inside, and everything was concealed in blinding light.

And once it cleared, where two women had been standing, there was only one.

---

Yuusuke clutched his heart. What was this sudden, agonizing pain? He fell on his knees, gasping for breath. Yet, even inside that bubble of agony, his mind acknowledged one thing. Maya needed him. She was reaching out to him. She was desperate. He didn't know how he knew, or how he knew what to do next. But he pulled himself up, and dragged Chaos Soldier from the top of his deck. He would not give up. He would not give up on her, and as long as he didn't do so, she had no right to give up either!

A single ray of sparkling white light shot out from the card. Narrow, but blessedly warm, it climbed to the ceiling, transcending reality, surpassing the constraints time and space.

---

Maya breathed a heavy sigh. It was done. She could barely stand upright, and the world around her had been reduced to a narrow space that could hardly fit her. She was doomed. She would be doomed, but...

[i]I will protect you.[/i]

These words were certainly her imagination. But as she glanced upwards, she saw Chaos Goddess flying up beyond the protective barrier. Her form instantly dissolved into light, but that light converged and solidified, reinforcing and expanding the barrier. With this, she had a little more time. She smiled gratefully at the fading shadow of her monster, and could've sworn she returned the smile.

There was only one thing left. To escape from this dimension, and return to the virtual world. Where she would settle things with Eizan. Eizan, and everyone else who had made her suffer so much.

In the distance, beyond the void, beyond even the horrible vortex of the Nexus, she caught glimpse of what she had hoped for. A lone stream of light, accelerating towards her. Now it was her turn. She raised the blank card she was holding overhead, just as Battle Fader, Dark End Dragon, and Arcanite Magician were swallowed up in three black holes, streaked with errant thunderbolts. The last time she had done this, it had been enough to almost tear reality asunder.

Now, she needed at least that much power.

"Come, THE DEVIL'S ERASER!!" The monstrous dragonic creature, gold and black armor shielding its scales, jagged edges protruding from its elongated body, appeared with the roar of thunder. Reality shattered as it was born, but it was a strong enough concept to withstand the cosmic void. Maya found herself riding on top of it, protected by its black aura from annihilation.

[spoiler=THE DEVIL'S ERASER][b]THE DEVIL'S ERASER[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 10
?/?
This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set except by Tributing 3 monsters. The ATK and DEF of this card are each equal to the number of cards your opponent controls x 1000. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, destroy all cards on the field. During your Main Phase, you can destroy this card.[/spoiler]

It was now or never.

The ERASER shot forth towards the light. The light sped towards the accelerating dragon. From a distance - though distance was an immaterial concept in this emptiness - it would seem as if two meteors, one black, one white, collided. At the moment of impact, a huge blast shot outwards, threatening to consume the void. Light and darkness merged, forming the primordial chaos, the origin of worlds. And though it disappeared quickly, swallowed up by the emptiness - it would forever remain glaring proof, that there was no boundary that could not be conquered, no limit that could not be surpassed.

[/spoiler]

[/center][/center]

Alright then, time to start posting in this thread.
Regarding the guesses:
Recounting everything, it will mean that:
Inoue doesn't use Gishkis
Dunkan doesn't use Vylons
(Simply for the fact that you said that one person had one guess correctly, and everything else was incorrect. Therefore, by logic, every guess that two or more people did the same are incorrect.)
Regarding the chapter:
Good execution. A little disappointed that:
[spoiler='SPOILER FOR CHAPTER']the thing with Maya just trailed off. I dunno, I guessed that this would happen when CTTE was played.[/spoiler]

You misunderstood that =/. I meant that there was one specific person, whose decktype everyone but one had guessed incorrectly. So your conclusions are based on flawed assumptions.

[spoiler=Response]Yeah, I'm not [i]totally [/i]satisfied with that part. However, I didn't want to like... make the whole thing seem even more drastic than it already was. If you prefer, the actual duel was more of a background plot element - the real battle was elsewhere. I also kinda wanted to pass the message that there's no real victory or defeat when fighting against yourself. Hence the conclusion.[/spoiler]

It's, uh, how should I explain it... you took a fact, then followed a logic to draw a conclusion from that fact. Your logic was correct, and if the fact was true, your conclusion would've been correct as well. So the problem isn't in the logic, it's in the assumption that a false fact is, in fact, true. Hence, a flawed assumption.

[quote]"...just who the hell do you think you're talking to?"[/quote]

[b]"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?"[/b]

-

There were two errors in this duel that I suppose I should point out:
1. Deathcaliber Knight cannot be Special Summoned.
2. Kristya returns to the top of the deck when sent to the Graveyard. This is mandatory, so it would return when released for Advance Draw. And now that I think about it, Athena requires you to send a Fairy to the graveyard, and Kristya cannot be sent to the graveyard. Hm...

They were stupid effects anyway.

Archived