Yu-Gi-Oh! - Dead Zone [FINISHED]

Vector Nightmare

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1302388189' post='5126131']
Eh. No matter how hard you try, it is almost impossible - and unreasonable - to make a set deck for a character and say "This guy will use these cards for the rest of the story" and stick to it. It would require extremely careful writing to not fall into a situation where you just need a combo to be used for the plot to go on (and the duel to have any meaning), and you cannot often do that if you restrict yourself with such boundaries. Thus, in favor of the fanfic actually being not bland and boring, you'll often have to use cards that are outright questionable as to why the character would have it. I've mostly side-stepped this in Dead Zone, I'd like to think, by generally relying on at least semi-consistent stuff, so feel free to look through for some structure ideas. Except for ZONE's deck, which is kinda chaotic at the moment.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had this problem when I started. I set out all the characters decks of 45 cards. And as I've said before, they were split 25:20, which is verrrrrrrrry bad. Kinda rectifying it, although Hikari still looks like 24:9:12 split at the minute.

[quote]
Spell Textbook was moreso related to main character hax draw power rather than the card itself being situational. I'd say that a situational card is something you can only use effectively under a certain set of conditions, which just happen to occur in the duel and you just happen to have that card right then even if you never had it before (example: most of Yusei's cards post-season 1). Spell Textbook is a card that would be useful under a lot of circumstances, provided you had the luck to draw the card you needed (read: it would not require an extremely convoluted scenario to not be an utterly useless dead draw). So yeah. But there are many other examples of situational cards Yugi had in his deck, and Jaden went overboard as well, but come on... I swear, during the ZONE duel, Yusei was just literally making up cards on the spot.
[/quote]

Cough... Clustering Wishes... Cough

Oh yeah, PM'ing you in a second.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, after a short pause, Arc 4 is finally starting! And what better way to celebrate our journey into the gradual finale of the story, than a double chapter! That's right, this time, you get both chapters 37 and 38. No big surprises for the deck that appears here, perhaps, but it's hopefully good.

[spoiler=Chapter 37]
[center][b][u]Chapter 37:[/b] Fear from the Dark[/u][/center]

The Arc Cradle was in turmoil. Many duelists had arrived at this place. On one hand, Duel International's attack was being concluded in the central room of the fortress. On the other hand, Ivory, Bando Takechi and Jinrei Yenma, who had arrived from the Zero Zone, joined shortly by Ryusaki Sugita, were quickly heading towards another specific point. And Christina Neville also homed in on that spot.

Sanjou Kiishiro was beside himself with fury. This person, this monster in front of him, was responsible for involving his own mother into this twisted nightmare. Kiishiro had been resolved to see this to the end - but now that his own family was involved...

"Draw." He said, acid dripping from his voice. He would beat the answers out of this one, whatever he had to do.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

"I activate One for One, sending Spore in my hand to the Graveyard, to Special Summon the Level 1 monster, Grow-Up Bulb, from my deck." He exchanged his cards quickly, not caring if Ebony was following or not. The small plant appeared in front of him. "Then, I Normal Summon Koa Kimeiru Gravirose!" A tall female creature, armed with twin thorn-coated whips, a scarlet flower blooming atop her head came into being next to the Tuner monster.

[spoiler=One for One][b]One for One[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Send 1 Monster Card from your hand to the Graveyard. Special Summon 1 Level 1 monster from your hand or Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spore][b]Spore[/b]
WIND / Plant / Tuner
Level 1
400/800
If this card is in your Graveyard, you can remove from play 1 other Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, and increase its Level by the Level of the monster removed from play to activate this effect. Each player can only use the effect of "Spore" once per Duel.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Grow-Up Bulb][b]Grow-Up Bulb[/b]
EARTH / Plant / Tuner
Level 1
100/100
You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard and Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. Each player can only use the effect of "Grow-Up Bulb" once per Duel.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Koa Kimeiru Gravirose][b]Koa Kimeiru Gravirose[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 4
1900/1300
During each of your End Phases, destroy this card unless you send 1 "Iron Core of Koa'ki Meiru" from your hand to the Graveyard or reveal 1 Plant-Type monster in your hand. During each of your Standby Phases, you can send 1 Level 3 or lower monster from your Deck to your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Now I tune my Level 4, Koa Kimeiru Gravirose, to my Level 1, Grow-Up Bulb!" He declared. The two monsters split into a single circle, four glowing stars filing through its center. "Synchro Summon! Come, Scar Warrior!" The bandage-wrapped soldier with the blades attached to his arms was born from the convergence.

[spoiler=Scar Warrior][b]Scar Warrior[/b]
EARTH / Warrior / Synchro
Level 5
2100/1000
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
While this card is face-up on the field your opponent cannot select other Warrior-Type monsters as attack targets. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed.[/spoiler]

"I'll end my turn with a face-down card." Kiishiro scowled. "Turn end."

"Then I will begin." Kiishiro could not help but admire the elegance of Ebony's motions. They were graceful and collected, betraying a confidence that could not be shaken. Her emerald eyes caught a hint of his emotions, and she smiled at him, a cruel smirk. "I will start off by setting three cards face-down." Kiishiro started - three face-down cards, right off the bat? "Then, I activate a Magic card called Dragged Down into the Grave. This allows each of us to check the opponent's hand, select one card in it and discard it, and then draw once."

Kiishiro frowned. What a peculiar card to use - but it certainly placed him at a disadvantage. He flipped his hand around, which contained Gigaplant and Spiritual Operation. Smirking, Ebony indicated the Spell card, which Kiishiro grudgingly discarded. Then Ebony turned around the cards in her hand, and suddenly Kiishiro realized the importance of that card. The two cards in Ebony's hand were Weapon God of the Dark World - Goldd and War God of the Dark World - Siilva. Two very dangerous Level 5 monsters, whose own effects would allow them to be Special Summoned instantly, should they be discarded.

[spoiler=Dragged Down into the Grave][b]Dragged Down into the Grave[/b]
SPELL / Normal
You and your opponent look at each other's hands, select 1 card from each other's hands and discard them to the Graveyard, and each draw 1 card.[/spoiler]

"I... I chose Goldd." Kiishiro said. It did not matter, as both monsters had exactly the same stats, and the same effect if they were discarded by their own user's card effect. Ebony smiled unpleasantly, and as soon as she placed the monster in her discard slot, she replaced it on the field. As the name implied, the demon that appeared was coated in golden armor, wielding a giant battle axe.

[spoiler=Weapon God of the Dark World - Goldd][b]Weapon God of the Dark World - Goldd[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 5
2300/1400
If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by a card effect, Special Summon it. If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect, you can select up to 2 cards your opponent controls and destroy them.[/spoiler]

"Now we each get to draw once." Ebony added a card to her hand. Kiishiro mimicked her, eyes tranfixed on her monster. True, Scar Warrior would not be destroyed by battle one time, and he would not take much damage, but...

"I also activate my face-down Spell card, Dark World Dealings." Ebony continued. "This lets us both draw once, and then select one card from our hands and discard it." Kiishiro cursed inwardly - that was trouble. Ebony added a card to her hand, and then tossed away that which Kiishiro already knew was Siilva. Similar to Goldd, another demon appeared, clad fully in black and silver, and sporting a blade attached to its arm. Kiishiro plucked a card out of his deck and discarded Gigaplant.

[spoiler=Dark World Dealings][b]Dark World Dealings[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Each player draws 1 card. Then each player discards 1 card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=War God of the Dark World - Siilva][b]War God of the Dark World - Siilva[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 5
2300/1400
If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by a card effect, Special Summon it. If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect, your opponent selects 2 cards in their hand and returns them to the bottom of their Deck in any order.[/spoiler]

"If you are thinking that I will use my monsters to destroy your Scar Warrior, that level is too short-sighted. I Normal Summon the Tuner monster, Dark Resonator." A small-sized fiendish creature, armed with a fork and a rod, appeared between the two demons. "And now I tune my Level 5, Weapon God of the Dark World - Goldd, to my Level 3, Dark Resonator." Raw darkness devoured Kiishiro's field of vision, as the two monsters united their powers to form a new one. "Synchro Summon - Dark End Dragon." A dragonic creature, its body pure black, a vicious demonic face engraved upon its chest, burst out from the shadows.

[spoiler=Dark Resonator][b]Dark Resonator[/b]
DARK / Fiend / Tuner
Level 3
1300/300
Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed. (Damage calculation is applied normally.)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dark End Dragon][b]Dark End Dragon[/b]
DARK / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
2600/2100
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner DARK monsters
Once per turn, you can have this card lose 500 ATK and DEF, and send 1 monster your opponent controls to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Dark End Dragon's effect activates, reducing its own attack and defense by 500 points, in order to instantly send a monster you control to the Graveyard. I'll get rid of Scar Warrior now." With numb fingers, Kiishiro moved the card to his discard slot.

"This will be enough to finish you off." Ebony decided. "Dark End Dragon, direct attack!"

"I activate Call of the Living Dead!" Kiishiro retaliated. "Scar Warrior is revived." Ebony crossed her arms, as if disappointed.

[spoiler=Call of the Living Dead][b]Call of the Living Dead[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When this card is removed from the field, destroy the monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

"Dark End Dragon attacks anyway." Kiishiro was baffled at first, until he realized what Ebony was trying to do. The black dragon unleashed a fiery sphere of energy, whereas Scar Warrior rushed towards it, slashing it with its blades. However, though their attack was equal, only the dragon was obliterated by the impact. But -

"Now Scar Warrior's effect is used up." Ebony said. "Siilva, attack!" The demon sliced through the target with its blades with little difficulty, dealing the first blow in the duel.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 3800[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

"You took damage, but I did not." Ebony said. "You have no monsters left, but I do. Excluding Siilva, we even have the same number of cards left on our hands and field. Can you see the difference between us now? It's not too late to back out of this."

"I won't back out!" Kiishiro snarled. "Draw! Until you tell me what you did to my mother, unless you bring her back safely to the real world, I will beat you down! I call Evil Thorn to the field, then use its effect to release it and call two more Evil Thorns from my deck, while dealing 300 points of damage to you at the same time!" The sinister plant appeared, only to vanish in a wisp of black smoke, replaced by two identical copies of itself.

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 3700[/i][/center]

"Then I return one of my Evil Thorns to the hand." He continued. "This lets me summon Evil Angel - Rose Sorcerer!" A dark angelic creature, ghostly white skin, black wings similar to those of a demonic butterfly, and a whip of thorns in hand appeared.

[spoiler=Evil Angel - Rose Sorcerer][b]Evil Angel - Rose Sorcerer[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 7
2400/1300
You can return 1 face-up Plant-Type monster you control to the hand, except "Fallen Angel of Roses", and Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is Special Summoned this way, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.[/spoiler]

"Now I activate the effect of Grow-Up Bulb in the Graveyard." Kiishiro stated. "I can pick up the top card of my deck, and send it to the Graveyard, then Special Summon Grow-Up Bulb. He picked out one card, and showed it to the opponent. "Dandylion's effect activates. When it is sent to the Graveyard, two tokens are Special Summoned!" Now Kiishiro's field consisted of a full five monsters. It was time to put them to use.

"I tune my Level 1 token, and my Level 7, Evil Angel - Rose Sorcerer, to my Level 1, Grow-Up Bulb." He declared, observing as his monsters transformed into eight stars crossing a single circle of light. "Synchro Summon! Appear, Mist Wurm!" The great flying serpent of the Mist Valley appeared from a thundercloud. "Mist Wurm's effect returns all three cards you control to the hand!" The high-level Synchro monster released a cloud of thick white fog at Ebony's field, vanquishing both Siilva and her two reverse cards.

[spoiler=Mist Wurm][b]Mist Wurm[/b]
WIND / Thunder / Synchro
Level 9
2500/1500
1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, return up to 3 cards your opponent controls to the hand.[/spoiler]

"Now that that's over with, I remove Koa Kimeiru Gravirose from play to Special Summon Spore from my Graveyard. This means that Spore gains extra Level as Koa Kimeiru Gravirose, making it a Level 5 monster. And I will tune my Level 1 token to my, now Level 5, Spore! Synchro Summon! Hell Bramble!" The proud queen of thorns appeared on Kiishiro's side, brandishing her arms, which ended into two giant carnivorous plants, towards Ebony.

[spoiler=Hell Bramble][b]Hell Bramble[/b]
LIGHT / Plant / Synchro
Level 6
2200/1800
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Plant-Type monsters
Each player must pay 1000 Life Points to Normal or Special Summon a non-Plant-Type monster from their hand.[/spoiler]

"Is that all you have?" Ebony challenged, staring at the two Synchro monsters with indifference despite her side of the field being empty.

"This is more than enough." Kiishiro gritted his teeth. "Battle! Hell Bramble, direct attack!"

"I would not run a demon deck without this one." A card flicked between her right hand's fingers. "Battle Fader!"

[spoiler=Battle Fader][b]Battle Fader[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 1
0/0
When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, you can Special Summon this card from your hand and end the Battle Phase. If this card is Special Summoned with this effect, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.[/spoiler]

"I anticipated that much." Kiishiro said. "Hell Bramble's effect activates, taking down a thousand of your Life Points." Ebony did not even flinch as she was struck by a barrage of roses.

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 2700[/i][/center]

"I'll end my turn with that." He said crisply.

"Then it's back to me." Ebony drew a card from her deck. "Tell me, Kiishiro. How can you stand up to me and fight now? Have you forgotten your failures already? Have you forgotten your defeat? This world is a cruel place, boy. The loser, if he's lucky enough to survive, should just lie down and play dead. I have no interest in devouring broken weaklings. As you are now, despite your fervor, you are nothing. Your mother, with her resolve to protect you, was a much worthier opponent."

"Shut up!" Kiishiro shouted. "She had nothing to do with this! I will make you suffer for whatever you did to her, and make you undo whatever you've done to her!"

"I fear that will be impossible for you." Ebony sighed. "Battle Fader is sacrificed to call forth Wicked Emperor Gaius!" A black monstrosity appeared in place of the smaller pendulum-like creature, charging a dark crimson energy bolt in its arms. Kiishiro clenched his teeth - that thing had to appear now...

"You still take a thousand damage due to summoning a monster from your hand that is not a Plant!" He said.

[spoiler=Wicked Emperor Gaius][b]Wicked Emperor Gaius[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 6
2400/1000
When this card is Tribute Summoned, remove from play 1 card on the field. If it was a DARK Monster Card, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.[/spoiler]

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 1700[/i][/center]

"That level of damage is irrelevant." Ebony shrugged. "The effect of Gaius removes from play Mist Wurm." A dark aura warped around the giant serpent, and it gave out a mournful cry before it was absorbed into a different plane of existance. "And now Gaius, attack Hell Bramble." The emperor of darkness shot its fist forth, launching the energy attack it had been charging. Kiishiro's monster was obliterated, and his field was empty again.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 3600[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 1700[/i][/center]

"I will continue with two reverse cards. Turn end." Kiishiro glared at her. At the very least, he could surmise those face-downs were nothing that could stop him from summoning his monsters, otherwise there was no reason not to use them when Mist Wurm was summoned. They were probably meant to stop him if he attacked, or something helpful to her strategy. He had one Evil Thorn on the field and one in his hand, as well as Botanity Girl. None of these were particularly useful here. He had to rely on his next draw. "My turn!" Well, his deck had pulled through for him.

"I activate Fragrance Storm, destroying my remaining Evil Thorn in order to draw a card." He did so, flipping the card he had picked up outwards. "Since the card drawn is Lord Poison, a Plant monster, I can draw one more card." He had not gotten a massive advantage, but he had improved the situation. "I set a monster, and one reverse card. Turn end."

[spoiler=Fragrance Storm][b]Fragrance Storm[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Destroy 1 face-up Plant-Type monster on the field and draw 1 card. If that card is a Plant-Type monster, you can reveal it to your opponent and draw 1 more card.[/spoiler]

"My turn." Ebony said. "If your idea of a strategy is to trick me into destroying Lord Poison for you, think again. I activate Demon Deck Devastation Virus, by sacrificing the Dark monster, Wicked Emperor Gaius, which has over 2000 points of attack. Now I can verify all cards on your field, hand, and cards you draw, and destroy amongst them any monster that does not have more than 1500 points of attack." Kiishiro grunted, as his reverse monster was revealed.

[spoiler=Deck Devastation Virus][b]Deck Devastation Virus[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Tribute 1 DARK monster with 2000 or more ATK. Check your opponent's hand, all monsters your opponent controls, and all cards they draw (until the end of your opponent's 3rd turn after this card's activation), and destroy all monsters with 1500 or less ATK.[/spoiler]

"I see." Ebony said, watching Botanity Girl disperse into a dark cloud. "You thought through at least this much..."

[spoiler=Botanity Girl][b]Botanity Girl[/b]
WATER / Plant
Level 3
1300/1100
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can add 1 Plant-Type monster with 1000 or less DEF from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

"Botanity Girl's effect activates, letting me add a Plant monster with low defense to my hand." He gritted his teeth as both Evil Thorn and Lord Poison in his hand were sent to the Graveyard worthlessly, skimming his deck for a fitting creature. "My selected monster is Petit Tomabo, and since it was added to my hand by an effect rather than drawn, it is immune to your Trap card."

[spoiler=Petit Tomabo][b]Petit Tomabo[/b]
DARK / Plant / Tuner
Level 2
700/400
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon up to 2 "Tomabo" monsters from your Deck. The monster(s) Special Summoned by this effect cannot be used as Synchro Material Monsters this turn.[/spoiler]

"So you managed to salvage your chances a little bit - but it will ultimately be in vain." Ebony said. "My second reverse card, Hand Obliteration, forces us to discard all cards in our hands and draw an equal number. And you understand, right? When Siilva is discarded, it is Special Summoned. And when Hunter of the Dark World - Broww is discarded, I can draw one card." Silently, both replaced their hands. Kiishiro flipped his card around without further comment, indicating that it wasn't a valid target for Ebony's virus.

[spoiler=Hand Obliteration][b]Hand Obliteration[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Each player discards their hand and draws the same number of cards they discarded.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Hunter of the Dark World - Broww][b]Hunter of the Dark World - Broww[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 3
1400/800
If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by a card effect, draw 1 card from your Deck. If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect, draw 1 more card from your Deck.[/spoiler]

"It's about time I settled this. I activate Jar of Avarice, returning Broww, Goldd, Dark End Dragon, Gaius, and Dark Resonator to my deck, in order to draw twice." She exchanged her cards. "Then I activate the Magic card, Call Resonator, which brings Dark Resonator back to my hand. And now I will summon it." The fiendish Tuner reappeared.

[spoiler=Jar of Avarice][b]Jar of Avarice[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Select 5 Monster Cards in your Graveyard. Return those cards to the Deck, then draw 2 cards.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Call Resonator][b]Call Resonator[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Add 1 "Resonator" monster from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

"I tune my Level 5, Demon monster, War God of the Dark World - Siilva, to my Level 3, Dark monster, Dark Resonator." Ebony commanded. Kiishiro started - between them, the two Dark monsters had enough power to finish him off - so why was she tuning them into something that could not possibly have that much power? "It is time you took a solid glance at reality, Sanjou Kiishiro. Synchro Summon! Descend, One-Hundred Eye Dragon!"

[spoiler=One-Hundred Eye Dragon][b]One-Hundred Eye Dragon[/b]
DARK / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
3000/2500
1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Fiend-Type monsters
Once per turn, you can activate this card's effect by removing from play 1 Level 6 or lower DARK Effect Monster from your Graveyard. Until the End Phase, treat this card's name as that monster's name and this card gains the same effects as that monster while face-up on the field. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, add 1 "Earthbound God" monster from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro thought he might scream. A gigantic black dragon, standing on its hind legs, materialized on the field. Its brutal structure was certainly imposing - but the most frightening thing about it was the massive number of eyes, eyes with purple irises, embedded into almost every inch of its skin. The hundred eyes rolled around at high speed, before simultaneously converging on Kiishiro. He thought he might go insane from the massive pressure. He could literally feel the darkness wrapping around him, oppressing him. He shied away from their gaze, unconsciously taking a few steps backwards, wilting under the weight of the multi-eyed glare.

"You cannot hide your weakness, Kiishiro. Not from this monster." Ebony's voice seemed somehow far away. "Now gaze into the truth, and fall."

---

"This is bad." Ivory must have said the same thing over a dozen times this past hour, and with each repetition, it grew even more ominous. "Ebony has summoned something that should not have been called here. Her control over this area is constantly rising. If she permeats too much of this place with her power, we won't be able to do anything to stop her."

"How is Kiishiro faring?" Yenma asked anxiously. According to Ivory, they should have reached their location long ago, but the lucid structure of the Arc Cradle as well as Ebony's power distorting reality around her made it extremely difficult to close in safely.

"I cannot tell." Ivory shook her head, sighing. "Technically, he should not stand a chance. I cannot imagine Ebony holding back, either. Not unless there is some very important reason. Even him still being alive right now is nothing short of a miracle." Takechi and Sugita remained silent, staring firmly ahead. All three of them had felt the nauseating after-effects of the battle between Kiishiro and Ebony. Since the initial, intense pain, Yenma's mark had not reacted again, making him think that Kiishiro had not yet summoned Black Rose Dragon. Was it because he didn't need to, or because he couldn't?

---

[i]Flicker[/i]

Kiishiro awoke with a start. He was in a dark, damp basement, poorly lit by several torches hanging on the stone walls. A table was positioned in front of him, a ring of keys on top of it. And beyond that table was a door of iron bars. A prison, then, and it did not take long for Kiishiro to realize that someone was held captive there.

"Mom!" He screamed. Sanjou Kotomi stirred weakly, looking up at him with glazed, sunken eyes. All color had drained from her skin. Only a rag covered her body, her hair was disheveled, and she looked much thinner. Kiishiro felt a stab of pain in his heart. 'Help me' those bloodless lips whispered soundlessly. "Hang on! I'll get you out of there!" He stretched his hand towards the keys, but another hand was there first. Kiishiro glanced up angrily.

Gawain was standing in front of him, holding up the keys to the cell. "Hand these over!" Kiishiro demanded, but Gawain only shook his head.

"Only if you can defeat me." He picked out a deck of cards from his pocket.

"Stop this nonsense." Kiishiro growled. "I've got no time for games! I have to save her!"

"It's not a game, and it's not nonsense." Gawain explained calmly. Kiishiro cast a desperate glance at his mother - was it just his imagination, or was she looking weaker and weaker by the second? "You cannot save others unless you are strong. You have pledged yourself to protect this world, therefore, you must match that resolve with power. If you cannot prove your power, you have no right to save anyone."

"I have no time for a duel right now!" Kiishiro snapped.

"We will play a simpler game." Gawain began shuffling the deck. "This deck contains only monster cards. We will each draw a card, and whoever gets the higher attack monster wins."

"And what's that going to prove?" Kiishiro insisted angrily. "You are betting the outcome of a match on who gets the luckiest draw?"

"It has nothing to do with luck." Gawain said sternly. "You should understand by now that here, you have to rely on your mind, your heart, and your soul to draw to you the power you need. If you have the resolve, you will get the card you need."

"Fine." Kiishiro skimmed the deck with his finger, briefly 'feeling' the aura of each card. He focused his resolve on his mother, who was dying helpless in that crammed cell. He drew a card out forcefully.

"Cruel Angel - Queen of Rose." He stated. 2400 points of attack was a fairly good call.

"Then I will draw." Sugita presented the deck to Kiishiro, who shuffled it briefly. But Sugita simply placed his hand on top of the deck, picked out the top card and flipped it over to Kiishiro, without even looking at it.

"Black Feather - Abroholos the Megaquake." He said, as Kiishiro stared in disbelief. 2600 points of attack. "You lose again." The keys in his hand slowly shifted to dust, falling between his fingers. Kiishiro fell on his knees. [i]You lose again.[/i]

[i]Flicker[/i]

The ancient altar was towering over a world ablaze. Kiishiro was standing on top of it, near a sacrificial stone, looking at the stormy black skies overhead. A massive creature was floating in these heavens, unleashing a rain of fiery death onto the land underneath. Unconsciously, Kiishiro stretched out his arm towards it. "Stop!" He yelled desperately, pleading for the annihilation to end. The mark blazed on his arm, and the monster turned towards him, illuminated by a bolt of thunder.

It was his own Black Rose Dragon.

The dragon cast an indifferent glance at him, before skydiving further downwards, letting loose another burst of burning petals. A whole city exploded into flames. Suddenly, someone moved behind him.

"You cannot control great power without matching it with your own strength." Dryad said to him, her words filled with sorrow and disappointment. "If you cannot reign it in, sooner or later, it will break loose, and the result - " She waved her hand, indicating the burning world underneath. "You lose again."

[i]Flicker[/i]

He was in the Arc Cradle. Along with ZONE, they stood near the edge of the upper layer. But unlike before, there was not a sea of clouds under them. There was only a black emptiness, and in the faraway bottom of that void, a white vortex of energy raged, silver streaks cackling around it.

"I entrusted you with this." ZONE said suddenly. Kiishiro snapped his head around - but the machine in which ZONE was always locked in was fading away, disappearing as if it was just an illusion. "But you were too weak. Where was your resolve, Thunderbolt Knight? Where was the anchor that you based your power on?" The vortex suddenly jumped into life, reaching upwards. Kiishiro screamed as the torrent of energy completely enveloped the flying fortress.

You lose again.

[i]FlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlickerFlicker[/i]

"Kiishiro!!"

His eyes snapped open. He was still standing, not having moved an inch since he fell into that trance. The voice had come from his left - he blinked in astonishment. Yenma was there, as well as that Gawain person, and another red-haired duelist he did not know, along with... Ivory? Where had they all come from? He turned his attention to the other side of the room. A girl was standing there, with richly colored brown eyes, looking at him intently. She did not speak, but she was unconsciously holding her lower left arm, where Kiishiro knew that another mark like his and Yenma's was engraved.

He turned his attention to Ebony, who seemed rather amused at the sudden appearance of the group. She raised her arm, and the great dragon roared, its attack rising to 6000.

"One-Hundred Eye Dragon can select a Level 6 or lower Dark monster in my Graveyard, once per turn, and, by removing it from play, acquire its effects for the rest of the turn." She explained. "My target is Plague Wolf, which means One-Hundred Eye Dragon's attack is doubled. This is the end."

[spoiler=Plague Wolf][b]Plague Wolf[/b]
DARK / Zombie
Level 3
1000/1000
Once per turn, you can change this card's ATK to twice its original ATK. If you do, destroy it during the End Phase.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro shook his head. He realized it now - the mistake he had been making for so long. When he had joined ZONE in his battle, he had thought he was fighting for the sake of the world.

That was wrong. There was no way a small person like him could be a hero for the entire world. A warrior needed a source to draw his strength from. He should have known that, without such a cradle to base his resolve on, he would be crushed by the responsibility. His very idea of a noble hero was laughable. He needed to draw strength from the small things. The world was too large a place to save by himself. But as long as there were things around him that he could see, that he could protect - even when he lost, he could still stand up and keep fighting.

"Bring it!" He yelled. "I activate the Trap card, Dimensional Imprisonment! This removes the attacking monster from play!" The terrifying multi-eyed beast dissolved in a mass of black particles.

[spoiler=Dimensional Imprisonment][b]Dimensional Imprisonment[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when your opponent declares an attack. Remove from play the attacking monster.[/spoiler]

"So you think you've found the strength to oppose me, just with that?" Ebony shook her head. "Your naivete knows no bounds."

"I am determined now." Kiishiro said angrily. "I will defeat you, and release my mother. No matter what it takes."

"Well, try your hardest." Ebony laughed, a soft, clear sound. "I place two cards face-down. Turn end."

"Then watch out!" Kiishiro placed his hand on top of his deck, feeling the pulse of the cards lying within. Even against these overwhelming odds, he could still continue to fight. "The true battle is only just starting!"

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Chapter 38]
[center][b][u]Chapter 38:[/b] Despair from the Dark[/u][/center]

[i]It looks like he has finally found it. The truth he had been looking for...[/i] Kiishiro's emotions, that had been building up to a fervent rage accompanied by a creeping terror, had now calmed down. ZONE could no longer sense the rising resonance of the boy's feelings clashing with the world around him. There was still anger, but it was focused, guided now.

"You can leave now, if you wish." ZONE addressed Yuko, who was staring dumbfounded at the spot Sarunoki Moboro had been standing. "But, you saw for yourself what kind of people you had been working for. If you wish to join the fight against them, I will welcome your aid. But know that the path ahead is a dangerous one." The young girl did not respond. Her shock was understandable, given what had just happened. But they had a short time, now.

A short time.

---

At the moment Sarunoki Moboro fell, seven people felt the aftermath of his demise. Five of these seven were located in the <Aria Tower>, holding an important meeting.

"I knew we should not have trusted him with this." Nakahara Inoue said disgustedly. "He went ahead and not only used <God Mode>, but even lost the duel against that ZONE! This whole thing was completely useless!"

"Not useless." Dunkan corrected her. "We have gained a lot of valuable information from this, despite the necessary sacrifices. Have you finished the charts regarding the Arc Cradle's structure?"

"They are here." Inoue flicked her fingers, and a conglomerate of screens materialized in front of the group, showing various information.

"Also, that Ross has not come back yet." Jacqueline said, fiddling with her fingers nervously. "The Zero Zone... what do you think happened there?" Unlike the Arc Cradle, where they could gather information based on the signals they received since Moboro activated the transcendent <God Mode>, they were clueless as to what had transpired in the Outer Sphere, and would remain so until Ross returned to contact them.

"And what about Sannosouke? It isn't like him to miss these meetings." Inoue added.

"He contacted me with some information regarding Eizan." Dunkan said. "It's about time we removed that thorn from our side. We're on the critical stage now - we cannot make any more mistakes."

"The portal's capacity is reaching its peak." Inoue nodded in agreement. "In sixty hours, at most, the first breach willbe made. All irregularities must be ceased by that time. There's no stopping or delaying it now."

"Is that enough time for you, miss Deveraux?" Dunkan asked. His tone was polite, but there was a certain meaning in these words. It would have to be enough time.

"By tomorrow afternoon, I hope, I will have settled things." She did not bother trying to hide her nervousness.

"You have been quiet for a while now." Inoue said suddenly, addressing Abraham Lee, who was situated next to Lynette. "Is something the matter?"

"Ah... no." Lee started. "Nothing in particular. I just... pray things work out."

"We all do." Dunkan said crisply. "We now have a very solid idea of what might happen if they don't. And none of us wants that. All we can do is try our hardest to avoid any misshaps."

"Theoretically." Lynette said in her pleasant voice, breaking the silence that had fallen. "Should we all be removed, what would happen? Is there a way to close the hole, to stop what we have set in motion?" Everyone shifted uncomfortably. Such a scenario would mean that they would all be defeated and incapacitated - generally, killed - before the Nexus could fully envelop reality.

"It is too late now." Dunkan said. "If we die, and the Pylons are destabilized - the Nexus, which is drawing precariously close to the Outer Sphere now, will grow out of control and swallow everything. Those who oppose us will realize this sooner or later, but before it is too late, we must settle this." He did not say that the mysterious leader of the Arc Cradle might have some means to stop the disaster, if it came to that. What was important, was that the plan succeeded. A world wrapped by the Nexus would be under the complete control of those who had access to the Pylons, to the epicenter of the connection. Everything in this reality, in other realities as well, would become their domain as if they were Gods. Or, everything could be simply erased.

"Moving on, in regards to the recent turbulence in the Duel Field Blossom Garden, it seems that someone could have warped there from the Zero Zone..."

Dunkan's associates paid close attention. Lee tried to, but his mind kept wandering off. There was one thing he had not shared with the others, one factor that was too important to overlook, but he could never allow Dunkan to discover. The girl he had left in front of that hospital nine years ago had just reappeared in the virtual world. They could not know, yet... Dunkan had a point. It was too late to go back now. This was an issue he should resolve personally.

---

[i]Be careful.[/i] Dryad urged, talking inside Christina's head. [i]This woman wields power older, more potent than anything I've felt.[/i] Christina did not have to be told that. She could [i]sense[/i] the wrongness around her and the boy she had identified as Sanjou Kiishiro, a dreadful, haunting shroud that had appeared along with One-Hundred Eye Dragon.

[i]Flash.[/i]

[i]... when I take battle damage, if I control no cards, I can Special Summon Messenger of Hades - Gors from my hand." HER eyes widened as a demonic warrior appeared, garbed in black and crimson.[/i]

"What... was this?" She muttered, clutching her head. A blinding headache, and a memory of... what? She could not pinpoint it. But...

[i]You don't have time to be distracted now![/i] Dryad said desperately. [i]That boy is done for! He's lost the will to fight, you must be ready to - [/i]

But, Dryad's ominous prediction was incorrect. Kiishiro's eyes snapped into focus, and the fear in his face was replaced by determination. Christina felt warmth emanating from the red scar on her arm. She could not explain it, but she felt that - she could rely on this person.

---

"Ah, sister. I thought you might be coming." Ebony smirked as soon as her turn was done, glancing at Ivory, while earning an astonished glance from Kiishiro. "But, you are too late. I'm just about to settle this. Perhaps if you had come alone, you might have made it here earlier."

"Can't you stop this?" Yenma asked, frustrated. He seemed hesitant to get closer, even though that terrible dragon had vanished. Ivory shook her head.

"She has this area under her complete control." She said. "We cannot interfere with this duel." Her eyes turned ice cold as she regarded her sister. "After that..." One glance at the field was enough to tell her the situation. Sanjou Kiishiro, the boy she had met what seemed like a lifetime ago, was left with only one card in his hand. Though he was well ahead in Life Points, and Ebony had no monsters to defend her, her virus was set to destroy any monster under a certain threshold of attack that Kiishiro might draw. It could go either way... it could, but Ivory had a terrible feeling about this. Her sister was ruthless, brutal. Kiishiro's only chance was to bet on the miraculous power of his dragon monster.

Despite the urgency of the situation, though, Ivory's mind was not entirely focused on the duel. The fifth person who had arrived to observe did not escape her attention, and neither did the spirit that was accompanying her. That girl was the third to appear with a sign on her arm, the blessing of the Crimson Dragon. And Elemental Master Dryad was a guardian of the elements, for a long time residing in the forgotten <Fairy Ring>. Their arrival was no coincidence - but she could not get close enough to talk, as the area which Ebony had permeated with her power blocked the way. As much as it frustrated her, the only thing they could do was stand back and wait.

---

"Draw!" Kiishiro said. He could not afford to be thrown off. Ivory's explanations would have to wait, as would the reason for why everyone had suddenly appeared. He glanced at his card. [i]Good timing[/i]. "Emissaries of Harmony is a Trap card, so it won't get destroyed. I will place one card on the field face-down, then activate Raise Dead to bring back Gigaplant from my Graveyard. Also, Gigaplant's effect activates, allowing me to summon it again. Now it can revive one Plant monster from the Graveyard, once per turn - my choice is Dandylion, in defense mode."

[spoiler=Raise Dead][b]Raise Dead[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Special Summon 1 monster from either player's Graveyard to your side of the field.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Gigaplant][b]Gigaplant[/b]
EARTH / Plant / Dual
Level 6
2400/1200
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
• Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 Insect-Type or Plant-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dandylion][b]Dandylion[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 3
300/300
When this card is sent to the Graveyard, Special Summon 2 "Fluff Tokens" (Plant-Type/WIND/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. These Tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon during the turn they are Special Summoned.[/spoiler]

"Now, Gigaplant attacks directly!" Kiishiro commanded.

"Still struggling?" Ebony said. "Trap, activate. Guard Block fully negates the damage from a single attack, and lets me draw one card."

[spoiler=Guard Block][b]Guard Block[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only during damage calculation during your opponent's turn. The Battle Damage you would receive becomes 0. Draw 1 card.[/spoiler]

"Turn end." Kiishiro said bitterly. It was a decent opportunity, but...

"Draw." Ebony said. "I set a monster. That is all."

Depending on the identity of the concealed monster, an attack could certainly backfire. But with the cards available to him, Kiishiro had little choice. "Draw!" Lonefire Blossom. "Thanks to Deck Devastation Virus, I have to send this card to the Graveyard." [i]But, there is still a way.[/i] "Then Gigaplant's effect activates once more, reviving Lonefire Blossom!" With this, his forces were set.

[spoiler=Lonefire Blossom][b]Lonefire Blossom[/b]
FIRE / Plant
Level 3
500/1400
Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 face-up Plant-Type monster to Special Summon 1 Plant-Type monster from your Deck.[/spoiler]

"Lonefire Blossom's effect activates, releasing Dandylion to call out a second one. And Dandylion's effect summons two tokens - but I activate the effect of the second Lonefire Blossom, releasing one of these tokens to Special Summon Camellia Princess Tytannial from my deck!" A full field coupled with two of his strongest non-Synchro monsters - Kiishiro felt confident that both his offensive and defensive ability were adequate.

[spoiler=Camellia Princess Tytannial][b]Camellia Princess Tytannial[/b]
WIND / Plant
Level 8
2800/2600
You can Tribute 1 face-up Plant-Type monster you control to negate the activation of a Spell, Trap, or Effect Monster's effect that targets a card(s) on the field and destroy it.[/spoiler]

"Battle! Gigaplant, attack her face-down monster!" He ordered.

"I'll let that attack go through." Ebony said calmly. "But, my concealed monster is Metamorpot. We must both discard every card in our hands, and redraw five cards." She smiled unpleasantly. "You may have no cards in your hand, but my two Vanguard of the Dark World - Beiige share the same effect as Goldd and Siilva, and can be Special Summoned when discarded." Kiishiro grunted as two demonic warriors wielding long pikes appeared on the field, kneeling in defense position.

[spoiler=Metamorpot][b]Metamorpot[/b]
EARTH / Rock
Level 2
700/600
FLIP: Both players discard their hands, then draw 5 cards.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Vanguard of the Dark World - Beiige][b]Vanguard of the Dark World - Beiige[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1600/1300
If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by a card effect, Special Summon this card to your side of the field.[/spoiler]

"At least I can draw five cards as well." Kiishiro replenished his hand, but Ebony laughed.

"You don't really believe it's that simple? My Virus still takes effect, forcing you to send to the Graveyard every card you just drew, if it is a monster with weak attack power." Kiishiro picked out Killer Tomato and Battla Fader and placed them in his discard slot."

"At the very least, Tytannial will still destroy one of your Vanguards." The princess of flowers quickly obliterated the defensive monster. "I'll set another card face-down. Turn end."

"My turn." Ebony said. She smiled as she glanced at her card. "By discarding one card from my hand, I activate Lightning Vortex. This magic card destroys all your monsters that are face-up on the field." Kiishiro did not even have time to be surprised, as bolts of electricity struck both Lonefire Blossoms, his token, Gigaplant and Tytannial, instantly erasing his advantage.

[spoiler=Lightning Vortex][b]Lightning Vortex[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Discard 1 card. Destroy all face-up monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"And then I summon Mad King of the Dark World - Brron." This monster looked nothing like the traditional concept of a king - it was a muscular, purple-skinned wretch whose head seemed to be leaning to the sides independently from its neck, chains binding its arms and legs. It cackled loudly, causing Kiishiro to recoil in disgust.

[spoiler=Mad King of the Dark World - Brron][b]Mad King of the Dark World - Brron[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1800/400
When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points, you can select 1 card in your hand and discard it to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Your Life is 3600." Ebony stated. "You can let this attack pass, or you can activate Emissaries of Harmony. But if you do take the damage, you'll be left with only 200 points. Beiige switches to attack mode. Battle. Vanguard of the Dark World - Beiige, direct attack!"

[i]But, Brron's effect will allow her to discard a monster. And if she discards a monster that can be Special Summoned, I'll be forced to activate my Trap card anyway.[/i] "I activate Emissaries of Harmony!" He declared, and an invisible barrier blocked the spearman's strike.

[spoiler=Emissaries of Harmony][b]Emissaries of Harmony[/b]
TRAP / Normal
You take no Battle Damage this turn. Your monsters cannot be destroyed by battle this turn.[/spoiler]

"Very well." Ebony said. "I will place a face-down card. Turn end."

"My turn." Kiishiro anxiously withdrew a card from his deck. "Spell card!" He exclaimed gratefully flipping Carved Seal of the Rose. "I use it immediately, removing Killer Tomato in my Graveyard from play, to get control of Mad King of the Dark World - Brron!"

[spoiler=Carved Seal of the Rose][b]Carved Seal of the Rose[/b]
SPELL / Equip
Remove from play 1 Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard and equip this card to a monster your opponent controls. Gain control of the equipped monster. During your End Phase, give control of the equipped monster to your opponent. During your Standby Phase, gain control of the equipped monster.[/spoiler]

"Oh?" Ebony barely cast a glance at Brron, on whose body a mark akin to a black rose appeared, and he switched sides.

"I also summon Botanical Lion, which gains 300 points for every Plant on my field, including itself!" The flower-maned beast's attack points rose to 1900. "This is enough to finish you off! Battle! Brron, attack Beiige!"

[spoiler=Botanical Lion][b]Botanical Lion[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 4
1600/2000
This card gains 300 ATK for each Plant-Type monster you control. Control of this face-up card cannot switch.[/spoiler]

"Sorry to disappoint you, but I activate Cyclone from the field." Ebony interjected. "Carved Seal of the Rose is destroyed - and control of Brron returns to me."

[spoiler=Cyclone][b]Cyclone[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
Select 1 Spell or Trap Card on the field. Destroy it.[/spoiler]

"Even so..." Kiishiro gritted his teeth. He could do more damage by attacking Beiige. But Ebony could benefit from Brron's effect more, should she have a plan for it. "Botanical Lion attacks Brron!" The difference in Life Points grew to 2000, but it would not matter unless Kiishiro could pull himself out of the unfavorable situation. "Turn end."

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 3600[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 1600[/i][/center]

"Then allow me." Ebony said. "First of all, I remove from play the Demon monsters, Mad King of the Dark World - Brron, Vanguard of the Dark World - Beiige, and War God of the Dark World - Siilva, to Special Summon Dark Necrofear!" An atrocious blue-skinned female demon, cradling the shattered remains of a doll that looked too uncomfortably like a child's corpse, appeared on the field.

[spoiler=Dark Necrofear][b]Dark Necrofear[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 8
2200/2800
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing from play 3 Fiend-Type monsters in your Graveyard. If this card is destroyed by battle, or by your opponent's card effect while it is a Monster Card, equip it to a monster your opponent controls during the End Phase of this turn. Take control of the equipped monster.[/spoiler]

"Then, I return a card in my hand to the top of my deck, to Special Summon Zombie Carrier from my Graveyard. I tune my Level 4, Vanguard of the Dark World - Beiige, to my Level 2, Zombie Carrier, to Synchro Summon Chain Dragon." The earthbound dragon creature came into view, roaring ferociously.

[spoiler=Zombie Carrier][b]Zombie Carrier[/b]
DARK / Zombie / Tuner
Level 2
400/200
You can return 1 card from your hand to the top of the Deck to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If you do, remove this card from play when it is removed from the field.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Chain Dragon][b]Chain Dragon[/b]
EARTH / Dragon / Synchro
Level 6
2500/1300
You can remove from play all "Iron Chain" monsters from your Graveyard to have this card gain 200 ATK for each card removed, until the End Phase. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, send the top 3 cards of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"For the finale, I think I'll simply set my last card." Ebony said, apparently entertained. "Battle! Chain Dragon, destroy Botanical Lion!" With nothing to defend himself, Kiishiro could only watch as his monster was annihilated. "With this, you have to send the top three cards to the Graveyard." Ebony instructed. Kiishiro did so, glancing at each card before throwing it at his discard pile.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 3000[/i]

"Then, Dark Necrofear - direct attack." Kiishiro braced himself - but he still felt every inch of his body paralyzed by horrendous pain as the malicious monster cast a shockwave of dark energy at him.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 800[/i]

"So, how does it feel?" Ebony asked. Kiishiro stared at his chest, which still felt a throbbing pain, hardly believing his eyes. The <Sin Cloak> was torn apart where the attack had struck, and a burn scar was carved onto his skin, oozing blood. "I can wound you, make you bleed, make you suffer. I can kill you in ways so painful that they'd make the most brutal tortures of your world seem like a caress. Do you realize what you are up against?"

"..." Kiishiro gathered his thoughts, still clutching his injured chest. "Was this... how you..." The rest of his murmur was too soft-spoken to hear.

"I'm sorry?" Ebony asked mockingly. Kiishiro clenched his fist.

"I asked if this was how you fought against my mother?!" He howled. "Was this the kind of pain you made her suffer?! Draw! Jar of Avarice activates, returning Spore, Grow-Up Bulb, Botanity Girl, Petit Tomabo and Koa Kimeiru Gravirose to my deck - then, I can draw twice! I activate the Field Spell, Black Garden!" The area around them transformed to a field of thorns.

[spoiler=Jar of Avarice][b]Jar of Avarice[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Select 5 Monster Cards in your Graveyard. Return those cards to the Deck, then draw 2 cards.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Black Garden][b]Black Garden[/b]
SPELL / Field
When a monster is Normal or Special Summoned, except by the effect of "Black Garden", halve its ATK and Special Summon 1 "Rose Token" (Plant-Type/DARK/Level 2/ATK 800/DEF 800) to its controller's opponent's side of the field, in Attack Position. You can destroy this card and all face-up Plant-Type monsters on the field and Special Summon 1 monster with ATK equal to the total ATK of those monsters from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Now that that's out of the way, I call out Debris Dragon!" The silver metallic dragon burst forth from a gust of wind. "Debris Dragon's effect revives Dandylion in my Graveyard! Of course, this means that due to the effect of Black Garden, their attack power is halved, and two Rose Tokens are Special Summoned to your side of the field."

[spoiler=Debris Dragon][b]Debris Dragon[/b]
WIND / Dragon / Tuner
Level 4
1000/2000
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 monster with 500 or less ATK from your Graveyard in Attack Position. That monster's effect(s) is negated. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster, except for the Synchro Summon of a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster. The other Synchro Material Monster(s) cannot be Level 4.[/spoiler]

"And what is the point in that?" Ebony asked carelessly.

"I tune my Level 3, Dandylion, to my Level 4, Debris Dragon!" A glorious, terrible light filled the field. There was no longer any holding back. "Come to me, Ancient Fairy Dragon!" The magnificent guardian dragon of the fairyland burst forth into a column of white light, her wings folded in front of her defensively.

[spoiler=Ancient Fairy Dragon][b]Ancient Fairy Dragon[/b]
LIGHT / Dragon / Synchro
Level 7
2100/3000
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Monsters
Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect. Once per turn, you can destroy a Field Spell Card. If you do, gain 1000 Life Points, and you can add 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

---

Christina shivered as the dragon that had, supposedly, protected her when she was about to die and erased her memories appeared before her. Until that point, she had not really believed that a monster card had done any of that, despite Dryad's claims.

She believed now.

The creature exuded majesty from every fiber of her being. Its very presence was a warm, comforting sight. In the instant she appeared, Christina's mark radiated with a bright red light, but it was a pleasant sensation, unlike the previous pain. She almost felt the dragon speak in her mind. [i]I will protect you.[/i]

"Thanks to the summoning of this monster, you gain a third Rose token." Kiishiro said. Christina looked at the field - Ebony's side was full of monsters now. Startled, she tried to remember why she knew that only five monsters could be summoned on each side of the field. "Ancient Fairy Dragon's effect activates. By destroying Black Garden, I regain a thousand Life Points, and add another Field Spell from my deck to my hand." Kiishiro snatched another Black Garden from his deck, demonstrating it to his opponent.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 1800[/i]

"No matter how many Life Points you gather, it will make no difference." She said dismissively, eyeing Ancient Fairy Dragon with disgust. Christina could feel the creature's hostility towards her. She was something dangerous, something black. A natural disaster, a dreaded force that could not be stopped, only avoided - if that. The very ground, the very air, even in this mechanical fortress, was groaning, complaining against her intrusion.

"We'll see about that." Kiishiro said defiantly. "Since Dandylion was sent to the Graveyard, two tokens are also summoned to my side. Ancient Fairy Dragon's second effect - by forfeiting my Battle Phase, I can bring out a Level 4 or lower monster from my hand. Dark Verger, in defense mode!"

[spoiler=Dark Verger][b]Dark Verger[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 2
0/1000
When a Plant-Type Tuner monster is Normal Summoned to your side of the field, you can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard in Attack Position.[/spoiler]

[i]That boy has thought his strategy out well, but he is still taking a risk.[/i] Dryad muttered in her head. [i]He gave Ebony those tokens so that she cannot Special Summon monsters without getting rid of them first, to avoid something nasty coming up. He knows he will lose his other monsters, but bets on Ancient Fairy Dragon surviving. I suspect his reverse card might be enough to make a comeback from there.[/i]

"I suppose it's my turn?" Ebony asked, though she did not wait to draw her card. "If you think you've somehow protected yourself, you are sadly mistaken. I sacrifice these two tokens, to Advance Summon Devil of the Dark World - Reign." Christina brought her hands to her mouth as a massive, disgusting warrior, its black armor emblazoned with elaborate designs, wielding a massive halberd appeared in front of Ebony. But the monster's attack was 2500, which was not enough to tackle Ancient Fairy Dragon. She breathed a soft sigh of relief.

[spoiler=Devil of the Dark World - Reign][b]Devil of the Dark World - Reign[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 7
2500/1800
If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, Special Summon this card. If this card is Special Summoned this way, destroy all monsters OR all Spell and Trap Cards your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"Battle begins." Ebony commanded. "My last Rose token will destroy one of your tokens." Obediently, the small plant hurled a flurry of spikes at the fluffy sphere, obliterating it. "And then Dark Necrofear will destroy the other token." The horrid fiendish creature lashed out with her energy strike, obliterating the second of the tokens. "Reign, erase Dark Verger. And now... Chain Dragon, attack Ancient Fairy Dragon."

"Huh? But Ancient Fairy's attack is higher!" Christina exclaimed. But, Kiishiro's eyes were transfixed on the reverse cards on Ebony's side. Chain Dragon unleashed a set of spiked chains, but before they could be wrapped around the proud fairy dragon's body, she repelled them with a ring of light that surrounded her and struck back. Ebony watched her Life Points fall with indifference.

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 1100[/i][/center]

"Since Chain Dragon attacked a monster, but did not destroy it, this allows me to activate Synchro Halo." She explained. "With this, not only is this Synchro monster allowed to battle again, but its attack power is doubled." Chain Dragon was wrapped in a golden light akin to that produced by Ancient Fairy's counterblast, and, after its attack power rose to an astonishing 5000 points, struck out with its chains again. This time, Kiishiro's dragon was powerless to resist it, and cried out in despair before being obliterated.

[spoiler=Synchro Halo][b]Synchro Halo[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only during your Battle Phase. Select 1 Synchro Monster you control that attacked an opponent's monster this turn, but did not destroy it by battle. Double its ATK until the End Phase. It can attack once again during the same Battle Phase.[/spoiler]

Christina brought her hand to her heart, which throbbed uneasily. The pulse in her mark had subsided to a faint beat. What was this overwhelming sadness?

[i]At least her attacks are over.[/i] Dryad sighed. [i]Kiishiro's gamble did not work out, but he can still - [/i]

"Trap, activate." Ebony went on. "Dark Dimension Release brings back one of my removed from play Dark monsters. And the one I choose is - " She smiled cruelly. "One-Hundred Eye Dragon!"

[spoiler=Dark Dimension Release][b]Dark Dimension Release[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 of your removed from play DARK monsters, and Special Summon it. When this card is removed from the field, destroy and remove from play that monster. When that monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

"Not that thing again!" Christina heard one of the boys standing on the other side of the battlefield shout in dismay. He was leaning close to the invisible boundary of the makeshift arena, as if trying to support Kiishiro. The monster with the hundred eyes reappeared, roaring out in uncontained rage.

"This should be enough to finish you off." Ebony's voice was ice-cold. "One-Hundred Eye Dragon! Direct attack!"

"Trap, activate!" Kiishiro yelled desperately. "Lost Star Descent! I revive Scar Warrior in defense mode, but, its defense is reduced to zero, and its effect negated." So he had been planning to bring back one of his Synchro monsters with this card in order to bring out another one, most likely his own dragon, next turn. But now he was forced to use it as a last-ditch defense.

[spoiler=Lost Star Descent][b]Lost Star Descent[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Select 1 Synchro Monster in your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Defense Position. Its effect is negated, its Level is reduced by 1 and its DEF becomes 0. Its battle position cannot be changed.[/spoiler]

"Hmpfh. One-Hundred Eye Dragon, obliterate that pest." One hundred eyes focused on Kiishiro's warrior, and an equal number of dark light rays screened in on it, wiping it out instantly. "Turn end."

Kiishiro sighed, looking dejected. He placed his hand on his deck. Christina knew it as well as both duelists did - this would be his final turn.

"Draw!" He exclaimed. Christina had to admit, she grudgingly admired this boy. No matter how desperate the situation had been - and Christina could tell he was facing a frighteningly overwhelming opponent - he didn't give up. She couldn't help but wonder where he drew that resolve from. For her, who had lived her life as a person without a past, with only relatively recent memories in her head - she could not understand the ties that Kiishiro might have, that connected him to that precious thing he struggled to protect.

"I summon... Copy Plant." He said. Christina blinked - Copy Plant was a very weak monster - and with no other monsters, having a Tuner on the field was... She caught herself. Just where exactly did all this knowledge come from? This world of dueling felt foreign to her, but at the same time... so unbelievably familiar?

"Dark Verger's effect activates, Special Summoning itself from the Graveyard when a Plant Tuner monster is Normal Summoned." Kiishiro said. "Copy Plant's effect activates, equalizing its Level to Dark Verger. And now I tune my Level 2, Dark Verger, to my, now Level 2, Copy Plant. Synchro Summon! Arms Aid!" A mechanical gauntlet, armed to make it look like a weapon, appeared on his field.

[spoiler=Copy Plant][b]Copy Plant[/b]
WIND / Plant / Tuner
Level 1
0/0
Once per turn, you can select 1 face-up Plant-Type monster on the field to have this card's Level become equal to the selected monster's Level, until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Arms Aid][b]Arms Aid[/b]
LIGHT / Machine / Synchro
Level 4
1800/1200
Once per turn, you can equip this card to a monster OR unequip it to Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position. While equipped to a monster by this effect, that monster gains 1000 ATK. When the equipped monster destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monster's ATK.[/spoiler]

"Battle. Arms Aid, attack that Rose token." Kiishiro said, sounding... resigned. The gauntlet rushed towards the opponent's side, slashing down at the small creature with its claws. Ebony's Life Points dropped to a mere hundred. But...

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 100[/i][/center]

"Is that all you can do?" She asked. Kiishiro just stared at her spitefully. She nodded, as if she had expected nothing else. "Draw. It is a shame. I would have spared you, had you simply seen sense. Reign, destroy Arms Aid." The armored fighter did not waste a moment in obeying that command.

[center][i][b]Thuderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 1100[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 100[/i][/center]

"And now I will finish this." Ebony raised her arm. "One-Hundred Eye Dragon - direct attack." The creature reared its head, preparing to mount another one of its devastating strikes. Christina closed her eyes. Was this it? Was there no miracle that could save Kiishiro now?

---

Left with no choice but to subject himself to his fate, Kiishiro hung his head. He had failed, for the second time in a single day. He had failed, when he had believed he had finally found his own strength. What foolish nonsense. He was still weak, too weak. He could not accomplish anything. At a time of dire need, he had failed to protect even his own mother. He had exceeded the level of weakness that could be allowed to him.

However, at that time -

"Ngh. Looks like she still has some influence over me." Ebony was looking at him strangely, a hand placed over her face. What he could see from her eyes was looking at him in a peculiar manner. "Regardless, I will - "

"Now!!"

Kiishiro jerked his head sideways. The silver-haired girl that had once approached him, leaving a few cryptic words with him before departing, lunged at Ebony, who had declared herself her sister. The black clad woman's focus faded as she turned around to face her attacker. In that instant -

"Blackfeather Dragon!!" Yenma commanded. Kiishiro caught sight of the dragonic creature's steel feathers turning pitch black, as it unleashed a spiralling flare of energy towards Ebony. Ivory quickly put up her hands, and a kind of white sphere formed around her, protecting her from the aftermath. A gigantic explosion followed, throwing everyone to the ground.

When the smoke cleared, Ebony had vanished.
[/spoiler]

I SEES A MISTAKE

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1302625517' post='5133237']
[center][b][u]Chapter 37:[/b] Fear from the Dark[/u][/center]

The Arc Cradle was in turmoil. Many duelists had arrived at this place. On one hand, Duel International's attack was being concluded in the central room of the fortress. On the other hand, Ivory, Bando Takechi and Jinrei Yenma, who had arrived from the Zero [size=6][b]Zonee[/b][/size], joined shortly by Ryusaki Sugita, were quickly heading towards another specific point. And Christina Neville also homed in on that spot.

[/quote]
But yeah, great chapter, like always. But, man, life is being tough for Kiishiro right now, isn't it?

[quote name='Luxray' timestamp='1302639996' post='5133715']I SEES A MISTAKE

But yeah, great chapter, like always. But, man, life is being tough for Kiishiro right now, isn't it?[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. And yeah, he'll have a hard time - but wait till you see what's in store for the others...

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1302638219' post='5133629']Isn't interrupting a duel in progress the greatest sin possible in Yu-Gi-Oh?[/quote]

That's card games on motorcycles.

[quote name='Kikoutei Penguin Infinity' timestamp='1302642416' post='5133822']I saw several.

SUCKS FOR YOU, THUNDERBOLT KNIGHT![/quote]

Point out what you find >_>. I'm posting without proofreading or spellchecking or anything.

Well, I'm back. I went away from the site for a while, but I decided I definitely wanted to get back into this, and I just finished reading Chapter 4. It's incredible how well you write, it really is. I actually started my new Fan-Fic yesterday - I thought Crossroads started poorly from the beginning, and this one had much more focus and I hope it plays out the way I want it to - and used your Fan-Fic as inspiration while writing it.

You're undoubtedly one of my favorite writers on this site, and the story is just so different and unique. It's great. I'll definitely continue reading. I liked the intrigue at the end there.

Also, when you get the chance, can you update my information in the Writer's Guild? I've got the new Fan-Fic now, there's a link to it there.

Hopefully you could take a look if you get the time.

[quote name='legolover09' timestamp='1302666947' post='5134711']
I just finished chapter 37 and I think Ebony has too many cards. She gets cards out of no where, it seems. Always being able to play face downs.
[/quote]

If you're saying that she uses more cards than she should have in her hand, that is incorrect. I carefully plan out the duels to always be consistent with what the players have in their hands / field etc. Unless I really slipped up and gave her a card more than she should, which I don't think I did, she should be fine.

If you're saying that she seems to be able to get whatever cards she needs... that's anime, and by extension fanfiction, for you. Believe me, this story would suck terribly if I made a fixed deck for everyone, then used a randomizer to come up with their draws. Also, given the context of the story and who she is, Ebony and Ivory should have no reason to be able to get almost exactly what they need.

Star, unfortunately the Guild died on me, so yeah. Welcome back, anyway. I'll take a look at your story when I have some time.

[quote name='legolover09' timestamp='1302741856' post='5136511']
Ah-ha. I found a yugioh duel mistake. As I decided to go through the duel to check Ebony's card count, I found something that might have thrown me off. She sets dark world dealings, and then activates the same turn. I am almost certain that that isnt' aloud.
[/quote]
That only applys to Quick Plays.

[quote name='Lexadin' timestamp='1302718367' post='5135620']Great chapters. Mhh, I think I start to see a pattern in Sanjou Kiishiro's losses.[/quote]

One loss tends to lead to another. The real challenge is to get out of the loop. Although Kiishiro was way out of his league there.

[quote name='legolover09' timestamp='1302748430' post='5136789']Well then, I stand corrected. That threw me off, and I apologize for my previous remark. Though I hope for the next chapter to come out soon.[/quote]

That's alright, it wasn't something too obvious (though I'm pretty sure I've done that again). I also hope to have the next 2 chapters finished some time soon, but I'm quite busy these days with real life.

[quote name='Star' timestamp='1302832460' post='5139339']Man, that stinks! I totally thought that Guild was a great concept!

Anyway, I appreciate it, and I'll definitely be continuing to read this.[/quote]

It was a great concept, but noone really posted or participated, so meh. It was good while it lasted, though.

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' timestamp='1302749433' post='5136808']You had me going there for a few seconds.[/quote]

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Erm, don't think you've noticed but people are joining and posting in the guild. Not ridiculously busy but there is some activity.

Really good duel to have so many monsters being summoned then being destroyed a second later. Thanks for indirectly introducing me to Dark Worlds, started using them in YVD now and enjoying doing so.

Ending well, given Ebony's all powerful and Kiishiro would have been killed if defeated, interruption was the only real solution. Was best possible ending anyway as now they have unfinished business.

Looking forward to next 2 chapters... aka Yuusuke's duel. :lol:

Also lol at the person who was thinking Ebony's drawing power was a bit convenient... have you ever watched a YGO cartoon?

Congratulations. You have a great fanfic going here. I've finished reading everything so far and I've enjoyed most of it. At first, I was shocked that the dueling took place in a virtual world. I like your originality and writing style. I also like how you use the OCG names and cards from the anime. Great job. I'm a fan.

Archived