Yu-Gi-Oh! - Dead Zone [FINISHED]

Vector Nightmare

Thanks, guys. Time for a little heads-up - Chapter 39 will take a while to be released. The reason is that I'm writing Chapters 39, 40 and 41 at the same time, and furthermore, as the third Machine Emperor is soon to come into the stage, I've grabbed the chance to start fully fleshing out all the Machine Emperor monsters - especially Grannel will receive quite a few changes before his official appearance, making him less... random compared to the anime version.

Also, calling 39 [s]Hope King Hope[/s] [s]Asspulling[/s] Aspiring Emperor Hope did cross my mind, but then I thought that it would only be worth it now that ZeXal is hot on release. After a while when there will be dozens of Numbers going around, it will no longer be a decent referencel or it will warrant the naming of other chapters after other, cooler Exceeds. So I'll keep my naming schedule as is.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well... for the first time since arc 1, this topic fell to the second page >_>. Regardless, Chapter 39 is here now, and hopefully it will be worth the wait. The next chapters shouldn't take as long.

[spoiler=Chapter 39]
[center][b][u]Chapter 39:[/b] Chaos Sorcerer[/u][/center]

"Are you ready? Remember, if things get too dangerous, just log out. With this, you should be able to disconnect." Hikari anxiously leaned over Yuusuke, who was seated in the chair in front of the Duel Terminal. He nodded firmly.

"You two be careful as well." He said darkly. "That sky... there is no telling what might happen, even here."

"Yuusuke." His father, who was working on some of the Terminal's settings next to him, said abruptly. "I've been able to set up a monitoring function on your avatar. As long as nothing unexpected happens, we should be able to keep track of you from here. Please, do not jump into more danger than you absolutely have to. We have no idea whether we can truly trust this woman, and after Moboro, I think just about anyone could be an enemy."

"We will deal with that when the time comes." Yuusuke replied. "For now - Jacqueline, no matter her intentions, helped me save you. She had the perfect opportunity to trap me there, but she didn't. At the very least, I do not believe her words this time to be lies. However, we will have to see for ourselves." Without another word, he clicked the Terminal's screen, and instantly warped into the virtual realm.

He stood atop a hill of swords, overlooking an endless battlefield. Riding lanes crisscrossed uneven ground riddled with obstacles. The sun was blazing mercilessly overhead. In the distance, huge mountains framed the horizon, a theoretical boundary if the motion lock system wasn't in place, allowing one to ride only through the designated paths. This was the <Battlegrounds of Asgard>, one of the most recent, and most visually impressive Riding Duel Fields. Next to him, the pure golden D-Wheel he had named <Exalted Cross> stood, patiently waiting for him to mount it.

No matter what, his next opponent would soon appear...

---

A lone man sat alone in a small room crammed from the floor to the ceiling in electronic machinery. Several computer terminals were hanging from the walls, while the central console was situated atop a table in the middle. He was currently sitting in front of the screen, putting in commands at a slow pace, while a deranged smile blossomed in his lips. With grizzled, unkempt grey hair, almost entirely bald, wrinkled skin and a lump on his back, he looked old, very old. And yet this man was one of the most brilliant virtual technology engineers in the world. He was the one who had been responsible for the original concept of the Ghosts and the formation of the Pylons. The one responsible for severing Sinclair from Stiyel Crystal once Klein tried to purge her account. The one responsible for the creation of the three artifacts that Maya had now held. He was also the one to have created <Lorelei's Prairie>. And many, many other things. His brilliance was unrivaled, yet so was his insanity. He knew he was crazy. He did not care. What he cared about was solely chaos.

"Are your preparations finished?" He asked in a broken voice, unused to speaking, addressing an unseen person through the computer.

"Yes." The soft voice of Jacqueline Deveraux responded softly. The hacker knew she was afraid. This was the first time he was speaking to her in person. He figured that fear might help increase her productivity. "He is... heading there now. I also provided Takizawa with the files you gave me. Discreetly, of course."

"Good." He nodded, though Jacqueline could not see him. "There's nothing left to do now but wait."

"Don't forget what you promised me." Jacqueline said desperately. "If you get back at Dunkan..."

"I will give you the keys to dissolve the portal, yes." He forestalled her. "I keep my word, Jacqueline Deveraux." He saw her shoulders relax visibly.

"Then, I'll be making my final preparations too." She said. The screen faded into blackness.

He leaned back on his chair. He had lied to Jacqueline - there was a lot more to be done, that she did not need to be made privy to. The chaos had just begun, and though Dunkan and the others might think they were concocting their own plots, and Jacqueline might be thinking she was ahead of them, in the end, everyone would only serve the lord of chaos. He turned his attention to another screen, which displayed Stiyel Crystal walk into a tinted blue gateway.

---

Maya held the <Saintess Mirror> in her hand as she walked through the portal which would lead her to the challenge related to her present. She did not know what the thing did, or what she would face where she was heading. But she had come this far. There was no backing down now.

She had a bad feeling as soon as she walked out into the open field. There was noone else there, but she was uneasy. She was not alone. She glanced around - but before she could give a name to this arena, suddenly, she was atop her D-Wheel. What was going to - ?

[i]Speed World 2, activate. Auto Pilot, engaged.[/i] The message beeped in Avalon's display, and before she knew it, she was rushing ahead at top speed, the D-Wheel on auto-drive.

[spoiler=Speed World 2][b]Speed World 2[/b]
SPELL / Field
If you activate a non-"Speed Spell" Spell Card, take 2000 damage. During each player's Standby Phase, place 1 Speed Counter on this card (max. 12). You can remove any number of Speed Counters from this card to activate an appropriate effect:
• 4: Inflict 800 damage to your opponent for each "Speed Spell" Spell Card in your hand.
• 7: Draw 1 card.
• 10: Select and destroy 1 card on the field.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Riding Duel - Acceleration![/b][/i][/center]

Maya was startled. She was riding on a duel lane alright, but there was no opponent. What was she supposed to do? And yet, as soon as she crossed the first corner, feeling a gust of wind directly behind her, a message appeared.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]???[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

"Who is there?" She called out. She received no response, yet the D-Wheel clearly indicated there was an opponent, and that it was her turn. What exactly was this challenge supposed to be, then? A fight against an invisible opponent?

"Draw." She said uncertainly. She had no choice either way, as, to her knowledge, being on auto-pilot, the D-Wheel would keep circumventing the field along the lane until the duel was finished. She had faced stranger things - now was not the time for contemplation. With this hand, she would wrap this duel up in no time. "I activate the effect of Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi in my hand, letting me discard a Demon Roar God monster from my hand, in order to Special Summon it!" An amphibian blue serpent flashed into existence next to Maya, as she placed another card on the Graveyard, which promptly ejected itself. "The monster discarded is Demon Roar God Beast Ganashia, which can be Special Summoned instantly! And then Nozuchi's own effect lets me immediately Special Summon Demon Roar God Raven from my hand!" The lone beast by her side was joined by a small creature with the head of an elephant, standing on its hind legs, and the black-winged fiendish monster.

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi][b]Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi[/b]
LIGHT / Beast
Level 2
1200/800
During your Main Phase, you can discard 1 "Demon Roar God" monster to Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Special Summoned this way, you can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower "Demon Roar God" monster from your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Beast Ganashia][b]Demon Roar God Beast Ganashia[/b]
LIGHT / Beast
Level 3
1600/1000
When this card is discarded to the Graveyard, Special Summon it. If this card was Summoned this way, it gains 200 ATK. In that case, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Raven][b]Demon Roar God Raven[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend / Tuner
Level 2
1300/1000
Once per turn, you can discard any number of cards from your hand and increase the Level of this card by the number of discarded cards, until the End Phase. This card also gains ATK equal to the number of discarded cards x 400, until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"Raven's effect activates, allowing me to send three cards from my hand to the Graveyard, which in turn raises Raven's Level by that number!" Raven flapped its wings, surrounded by an unearthly aura, as its power rose. "But, the two cards I discarded are the monsters, Demon Roar God Beast Cerburrel, and Demon Roar God Lurrie. Both of them are Special Summoned when discarded!" Maya continued ruthlessly, allowing a little winged devil and a three-headed puppy to fill the array of monsters on her field.

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Beast Cerburrel][b]Demon Roar God Beast Cerburrel[/b]
LIGHT / Beast / Tuner
Level 2
1000/400
When this card is discarded to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Lurrie][b]Demon Roar God Lurrie[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend
Level 1
200/400
When this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

"I set a card face-down." She continued. "Then I tune my Level 1, Demon Roar God Lurrie, to my, now Level 4, Demon Roar God Raven. Synchro Summon!" A surge of light flashed beside her, heralding the appearance of a taller, more imposing form of Raven, wrapped in golden pieces of armor. "Descend, Demon Roar God Reigion!"

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Reigion][b]Demon Roar God Reigion[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend / Synchro
Level 5
2300/1800
1 "Demon Roar God" Tuner Monster + 1 or more non-Tuner Monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, if you have 1 or less cards in your hand, you can draw until you have 2 cards in your hand.[/spoiler]

"Reigion's effect lets me draw until I have two cards in my hand." Maya said. "And my turn is far from over yet! I Tune my Level 5, Demon Roar God Reigion, and my Level 3, Demon Roar God Beast Ganashia, to my Level 2, Demon Roar God Beast Cerburrel!" It was ironic, perhaps, that Maya had not truly realized, or more appropriately had come to take for granted, the importance of Synchro Summon in the game, until she had been faced with that Machine Emperor. Skiel was an ideal representation of the obstacles formulated in front of her. It did not take a genius to figure out what they had used her for. Dueling was the driving force of this world, and the material necessary to tap into its true potential. That is why it had been important for them to gather competent duelists. And now they sought to crush her with an opposite force, so that the clash would generate the energy required for their schemes. But even if this enemy brought out the Machine Emperor, Maya was prepared. "Synchro Summon! Come to me, Demon Roar God Leviathan!" Using the low-levelled Reigion both for its effect, and as a stepping stone, the demon goddess came into existence, gliding through the sky without the slightest effort, yet easily keeping up with Maya's D-Wheel.

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Leviathan][b]Demon Roar God Leviathan[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend / Synchro
Level 10
3000/2000
1 "Demon Roar God" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monster.
When this card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can select up to 3 "Demon Roar God" monsters in your Graveyard. Add them to your hand.[/spoiler]

"Finally, I will also release Demon Roar God Nozuchi, to Advance Summon Demon Roar God Dianaira! Dianaira can be Summoned with just one release, if the sacrifice offered is a Demon Roar God monster!" A gigantic two-legged bull appeared on the other side of Avalon. "I'll set another reverse card. With this, my turn is over."

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Dianaira][b]Demon Roar God Dianaira[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend
Level 8
2800/100
You can Tribute 1 "Demon Roar God" monster to Tribute Summon this card in face-up Attack Position. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Normal Spell Card, its effect become "Your opponent selects and discards 1 card from their hand".[/spoiler]

---

Jacqueline overlooked the field from a nearby hilltop, sighing. This duel was a cruel arrangement, but it could not have been avoided. It was a scheme she had originally come up with herself, but ironically enough, it had seemed to fit in both Gregory Dunkan's and Miyataka Eizan's plans.

Miyataka Eizan. They had been searching for him for so long, until he had finally revealed himself to Jacqueline. She had kept the contact under wraps, of course. Basing her trust on this insane, yet brilliant man - Jacqueline decided on her own path. The Nexus was not the answer. More destruction, more chaos, would never be the answer. She would aid Eizan in eliminating Dunkan and the rest. Then, with Eizan's help, she would be able to close the portal and restore the world to its proper state. But for this young couple, it was over.

Aizawa Yuusuke. She had only known this boy as the first person to leap after the trail of Sanjou Kiishiro. What had happened in the <Blossom Garden> with either of these boys was a mystery to them, until much later. They only confirmed what had happened to Kiishiro after the Arc Cradle was uncovered. And she only confirmed what had happened to Yuusuke after Eizan told her.

Kirizaki Maya. She had been the champion in Europe, before she went to that Japan, fading into oblivion. She had jumped into the fray when Yuusuke was endangered. Her fight against Klein had been the source of many troubles for her and the others, as were her later actions.

Dunkan had said that, if Jacqueline could prepare three more cards, three more 'points', and direct the energy fueled through Aizawa Yuusuke's duel into them, a third Pylon could be constructed. It would not be as stable as the others, not as powerful, but it would make the operation much safer. To this end, Jacqueline would have to sacrifice either Yuusuke or Maya - or both. This was also a conclusion Dunkan approved of, and had not asked what means Jacqueline had used to set up this duel.

Eizan's purposes were more obscure. He was allegedly seeking revenge against Dunkan for stealing his inventions and discrediting him after he took advantage of the virtual world he had helped, in great part, create. But he had not told her why he wanted that fight arranged. As interesting as Jacqueline might find Maya, who was a world-class duelist, she was by far more intrigued by Yuusuke, the boy that had surpassed her expectations on not just one, but two occasions. If anything could complete the Pylon, it was this rising surge of energy that Yuusuke seemed to unleash in critical situations. On the other hand, Eizan was more focused on Maya. Jacqueline could not fathom his reasons. She could not even begin to understand a lot of things about the guy. But, crazy as he was, he had the means to help her. He had proven that much. This virtual reality was handled by him in ways that made their own control seem childish, insignificant.

Jacqueline had seen Dunkan's true face. He would not hesitate to sacrifice a thousand other worlds, if he was to rule this one. And this was exactly what would happen, should they surround this world with the Nexus. None of the others, for their own reasons, would stand up to him. Jacqueline was now the only one that could disrupt this plan.

Even if it meant sacrificing these children.

---

Yuusuke was sweating profusely. By the identity of those Demon Roar God monsters, he had probably grasped the identity of his invisible opponent. That European champion, Stiyel Crystal, who had attacked Maya, had used that same monster back then. And she seemed to be holding back even less against him. In already one turn, that person had completely emptied her hand, but instead filled her field with two overwhelming monsters, and already had two face-down cards set, no doubt meant to make up for that figurative disadvantage.

"Draw." He said a little unsteadily. He watched as both his and his opponent's Speed Counters rose - but only a few question marks stood for the name of the enemy. If not for the position of the two Demon Roar Gods, he would not have the slightest clue as to where that opponent was.

[center][i][b]???[/b] - SPC: 1[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

This hand cannot initiate a reversal. Yuusuke thought desperately. What [i]could[/i] initiate a reversal? "I summon Card Gunner in defense mode." The small tank appeared next to him, its armaments brought defensively in front of its body as it followed the path of Yuusuke's D-Wheel. He had found dueling while driving rather uncomfortable at first, but the fact that he was on auto-pilot eased him in. "I activate Card Gunner's effect, dropping the top three cards of my deck to the Graveyard." He glanced at the cards before discarding them. The visual aid that revealed whatever cards the opponent was playing was disabled, allowing Yuusuke only basic knowledge of the opponent's moves according to what they chose to reveal - and for that matter, what [i]could[/i] they reveal to a person who couldn't see or hear the,? Hopefully, the reverse was also true. "Then I set two cards. Turn end."

[spoiler=Card Gunner][b]Card Gunner[/b]
EARTH / Machine
Level 3
400/400
Once per turn, you can send up to 3 cards from the top of your Deck to the Graveyard. This card gains 500 ATK for each card sent to the Graveyard, until the End Phase. When this card you control is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, draw 1 card.[/spoiler]

---

"Draw." Maya observed the increase in Speed Counters. She was mildly surprised by the appearance of such a monster, as it did not seem such an overwhelming play as she had expected from Dunkan's lackies. Then she remembered Klein. She would not underestimate an opponent based on such fragile grounds.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]???[/b] - SPC: 2[/i][/center]

"I call Hellway Patrol to the field." The duo of demonic cyclists also sprang forth into existence. "And I'll put it to use immediately! Attack Card Gunner!" Her interface indicated the activation of Card Gunner's effect, adding a card to her unseen opponent's hand.

[spoiler=Hellway Patrol][b]Hellway Patrol[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1600/1200
When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the Level of the destroyed monster x 100. You can remove from play this card in your Graveyard to Special Summon 1 Fiend-Type monster with 2000 or less ATK from your hand.[/spoiler]

"Dianaira, direct attack!" No sooner had the bull started charging, than a ghostly image of an undead warrior appeared between it and its target, blocking it off.

[spoiler=Necro Gardna][b]Necro Gardna[/b]
DARK / Warrior
Level 3
600/1300
Remove from play this card in your Graveyard to negate 1 attack this turn from a monster your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"Very well, but I still have one more attack! Leviathan!" But as the great devil flapped her wings playfully, soaring towards the opponent whose location was only indicated by the two reverse cards on his field, one of those flipped open. "Dimensional Imprisonment? But, I won't fall for that. Trap, activate! Destruct Potion! With this, Leviathan is destroyed, but I regain Life Points equal to her attack power!" Her monster turned back at her, and Maya felt that the blindfolded eyes were chiding her - but then she smiled mischievously and vanished, dodging both the warphole that had appeared before her, and the explosion that burst underneath her feet. "And that's not all. When Demon Roar God Leviathan is destroyed, I can add up to three Demon Roar God monsters from my Graveyard to my hand. So I'll return Raven, Lurrie and Cerburrel. Turn end."

[spoiler=Dimensional Imprisonment][b]Dimensional Imprisonment[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when your opponent declares an attack. Remove from play the attacking monster.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Destruct Potion][b]Destruct Potion[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Select 1 monster you control. Destroy it, and gain Life Points equal to its ATK.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 7000[/i]

---

"My... turn." Yuusuke grunted. He had barely scraped by his opponent's relentless onslaught, and now she - assuming, of course, that Yuusuke had correctly identified her - had filled up both her Life Point counter and her hand with monsters again. He had barely managed to defeat Dread_T the other day, and only because he had been able to trick him into a mistake. What chance did he have against someone who had been the champion? Anyway, if this got too difficult, he could log out. Theoretically.

[center][i][b]???[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 3[/i][/center]

"I activate Call of the Living Dead, reviving Card Gunner in attack mode." He played his second reverse card, hoping for a lucky break. "Then, Card Gunner's effect activates again, sending the top three cards of my deck to the Graveyard. [i]Finally[/i]. "One of the cards discarded is Lightlord Beast Wolf, and when he is sent to the Graveyard like that, he is instantly Special Summoned! But he won't be around for long, because I release him to Advance Summon Lightlord Angel Cherubim!"

[spoiler=Lightlord Beast Wolf][b]Lightlord Beast Wolf[/b]
LIGHT / Beast
Level 4
2100/300
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. When this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lightlord Angel Cherubim][b]Lightlord Angel Cherubim[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 5
2300/200
When you Tribute Summon this card by Tributing a "Lightlord" monster, you can send the top 4 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard to destroy up to 2 cards your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"When Cherubim is advance summoned, if the release is a Lightlord monster, I can use her effect to send four cards from my deck to the Graveyard, in order to destroy up to two cards on your side of the field. The cards I choose are Demon Roar God Dianaira, and your reverse card!" The celestial angel raised her scepter, sending forth waves of destructive light across the battlefield, instantly vaporizing the much larger demonic bull. But as the enemy's reverse card flipped open, Yuusuke's eyes widened in shock. That was Torrential Burial, a perfect card to chain in this situation. It would empty both their fields, and prevent Yuusuke from mounting an effective attack. At any rate, it was much better to activate it than have it destroyed. So why wasn't it used? That was a mistake only an amateur would make. From the way this duel was handled so far, he could not believe he was dealing with a beginner.

[i]Just what the hell is going on here?[/i]

---

Maya's hands felt numb on the handles of her D-Wheel, even as the machine carried her at break-neck speeds across the desolate landscape. Even from that vague evidence, once the Lightlord monsters had appeared on the field, everything had clicked together. This was none of Dunkan's underlings she was facing. They had forced her into a fight with Yuusuke! Everything made sense now. The invisibility, the auto-pilot function, even the encounter on Lorelei's Prairie - it had all been a trick, a trap to get her into a fight she could not stop. What was Yuusuke doing here? She had no way of answering that, and it did not matter. [i]I must stop this.[/i]

There was a catch, of course. Unlike her, Yuusuke could not extrapolate the same conclusions based on her deck. In fact, if he had connected the monsters she used with the time she fought Sinclair, he might have already determined her as an enemy. Thanks to her shock, she had missed the chance to activate Torrential Burial. Which meant that her field was now open.

Yuusuke - she was certain it was him, now - seemed to have paused a little, due to the irregularity of Torrential Burial not being activated. But it was not long until he made up his mind. Obeying a wordless, to Maya's ears, command, Card Gunner pointed its weapons array at her Hellway Patrol, obliterating it with an artillery volley.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 6700[/i]

It [i]hurt[/i]. It was only three hundred Life Points, yet for every one removed, it felt as though a knife slashed at her skin. She screamed, and had it not been for the automatic control of her D-Wheel, she might have crashed. But of course Yuusuke wouldn't be able to see any of that, so Maya helplessly watched as Cherubim began her assault. She prepared herself, but it wasn't enough, nowhere near enough. Endless threads of light stabbed her, tearing out pain from the very core of her existence. This was a virtual reality that transcended reality. Agony seeped from every part of the world around her, invading her mind, flooding her sensations. The light subsided, but the pain did not. She glanced down. For an instant, just an instant, she did not see her body, but rather, a charred, wretched ruin. It was only a fraction of a second, yet it was enough to terrify her more than the pain had. Reality was distorting here, everywhere. What was an illusion in this virtual world could very well become the truth in the material world - and then it would be over.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 4400[/i]

Two reverse cards appeared on Yuusuke's side of the field, before the indicator flashed, signalling the beginning of her turn. She did not begrudge him, of course. She would have done the same - had tried to do the same. As long as he had no idea who she was, he had no reason to not try and win. But how could she let him know? More importantly, how could they stop this? Mechanically, more to buy time to think than anything else, she added a card to her hand. [i]Ah.[/i]

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 4[/i]
[i][b]???[/b] - SPC: 4[/i][/center]

She now held Honest, the card that had become the symbol of her ties to Yuusuke. She could not explain it, but as soon as she drew that card, the aftermath of the previous attack faded away to a slight pulse she could ignore. And at the same time, hope was renewed in her heart. She would find a way out of this predicament.

She took a careful look at the field. If she was attacked by Yuusuke during the next turn, and her Life Points reached zero, her life would end. With the monsters in her hand, she could at least get rid of Yuusuke's monsters. But that would also mean dealing damage to him. Inflicting the same pain to him that she had just experienced. That could not be allowed. Besides, attacking did not bring her closer to solving her problem. No, there was only one path that could be taken. Wordlessly, she placed the card vertically on her D-Wheel's panel. The white-feathered angel appeared before her, its earnest gaze reassuring. She would place her trust in this. "Turn end." She declared.

---

Yuusuke thought he was seeing things. He knew the cards in his opponent's hand, and he knew she had Hellway Patrol in her Graveyard. There was a vast amount of Synchro monsters she could summon with those materials, to rival and defeat his own monsters. But instead, she had only played a single card. Honest. And as much as Yuusuke tried to formulate a trail of thoughts that made sense - it was impossible. For that card to be played, at this moment - !!

He tried to disengage the auto-pilot mode. It was impossible - the moment he had entered this field, and the duel began, he had been locked in place. Why? Why go through the trouble of setting this up? If the opponent was a Ghost, or even a Cataphract - it made no sense to conceal their presence. The only explanation would be - the opponent's identity must not be discovered. But the concept was ludicrous. The person he was fighting could not be Maya - it made no sense. Maya did not have Demon Roar God monsters. Maya...

There was it again. That instant, that he had conveniently put away to the back of his head. When he had observed that duel between Maya and the European champion - that person had called him by name, a name she was very unlikely to know. And now the person who inexplicably knew him and had been dueling Maya, a person Yuusuke did not know, had summoned exactly the only card whose significance both he and Maya would recognize, but theoretically noone else, in a very obvious attempt to grab his attention. No, this was not a simple matter any more. He had to think carefully. His opponent was essentially inviting him to win. No, she had seemed to give up earlier, when she did not activate the Torrential Burial. The timing of that card's activation - that had been when Yuusuke had first summoned a Lightlord monster to the field. It couldn't be, if she was fighting under the same conditions as him, then could she have extrapolated that same conclusion - ?!

Yuusuke was so deeply in thought that he almost fell off his D-Wheel when a message beeped on his screen. Jacqueline's face appeared in the small display. "You must not get distracted." She said, fully serious. "It's a trap laid by Dunkan. Attack now and win." Yuusuke wavered. She might seem to be making sense, but... he glanced at Honest again. Wait, there was a way - !! Quickly scanning through the options of the D-Wheel's control system, he brought up the detailed panel of the card that had been used. Each card had a unique identifier - even if there were a thousand Honests out there, the single one that Yuusuke had given Maya so long ago could still be determined by that number. It took only a single glance to confirm it. Yuusuke sighed.

They had played him for a fool.

"Turn end!" He called out, loudly. If Maya was his opponent, then he could not continue to face her. With this, the 'connection' between them must have been established. Yuusuke had given Maya the signal that he had realized the meaning of her own message. Now all that was left was a way to stop this cruel fight.

---

"So they've figured it out. No helping it, I guess." Jacqueline sighed. There was nothing they could do to stop her scheme now. But to avoid any unnecessary complications, she had to... speed the process up. <Emerald Dream>, her D-Wheel, appeared before her, allowing her to gracefully climb on the sleek motorcycle. She stomped on the accelerators, blazing through the arena like a shining green bullet. At this speed, it was not too long since she caught up with Yuusuke and Maya. And in that instant, via an invisible command, the world phased around them, the laws of reality shifting. The rule she had established about visibility faded, and suddenly Yuusuke and Maya could see each other, as well as Jacqueline herself.

"You are - !!" Yuusuke exclaimed, as he saw a form he did not expect. However, his shock was doubled as Jacqueline closed in. "What are you doing here?" He yelled at her, even though from the tone of his voice, it was quite obvious that he had already realized the truth.

"Sorry, but I'll be butting in." Jacqueline said calmly. The duel rules automatically changed to Battle Royale mode, placing her turn right after Yuusuke's. In a way, this was preferrable. She'd be able to control the situation to any extent that was needed, without relying on volatile external factors.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 4400[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

Jacqueline switched on the appropriate feed, so that both Eizan and Dunkan would be alerted to this development. She had planned to have Yuusuke beat Maya, unknowingly, and suffer the revelation of the fact that he had killed his best friend, or failing that drive him to the brink of defeat and despair, and then use either surge of emotion as fuel for his resolve in order to take him on herself, causing the <Spires> that were placed all over the battlefield to absorb the released energy, powering up the basis of the new Pylon. But now she might be able to conclude this much faster, and much more efficiently, by properly directing the two children's fighting instincts. And as long as she did not use <God Mode>, she could easily escape if the situation turned to worse.

"My turn!" She proclaimed. Without fail, she would settle this now.

[/spoiler]

Originally, this was designed much differently, in fact, it was the Sherry duel that inspired me to make it like this. It was a good idea in the anime, but had one major flaw: Aki and Crow... just didn't click together, there wasn't anything interesting character-wise going between them, so basically the whole thing was quite bland. If it had been Rua and Ruka, or Aki and Yusei, it would've been better. That's why I ended up making it like this - because it was a decent idea that was badly executed, and I wanted to build on that. So yeah, rather than rip-off, I just call it... improvement. I can see where you're coming from, of course. I'll give the subject some more thought.

I know that you're capable of original thought. I've seen it countless times, both here and in Chronicles. What I saw today was not an original thought, but an almost exact mirroring of the Sherry duel. The only difference was the lack of Mask Tokens, which only lead to the secret being given away sooner, and the lack of a physical opponent. You could've done so much better than this.

Now, onto the rest of the chapter; I'm glad we're finally putting Eizan's name to a face, and that we get to meet him in the flesh, so to speak.

[spoiler=Speculation]
Is he Maya's father?
[/spoiler]

@Bahamut: Don't worry about it. When you watch it, you'll understand that it wasn't worth waiting for, anyway >_>

When I wrote this, I was fully aware that I was using the exact pattern as that triangle duel. As I said, I really liked the idea, and wanted to write a better implementation. But perhaps I overdid it - it did not help that I was going through a general period of writer's block, and had to pull from wherever I could to get things done. Definitely something to think about when / if I get to rewriting this. Well, I hope next chapter's conclusion redeems this part, a bit. As for Eizan, nah. I wouldn't take that road with him. His story is rather complex, and a lot of it will be revealed, openly or covertly, in this arc, building up on things we already know.

Start reading this about a week ago, and I think my brain just imploded from the awesomeness that is this fanfic. This story is how the 5Ds series after Season 1 should have been - the twist of revealing ZONE's identity was kind very lackluster and the ending was plain disappointing. Also, I mentioned this before in the pm, the recurrent motifs of the power of the mind and how beliefs can shape reality are very reminiscent of the game Planescape: Torment. I'm on Chapter 21 right now, but I'm hoping to catch up soon. Good luck with your next chapter!

Alright, I'll be honest with you guys. This chapter, and by extension a large part of the previous one, did not turn out anywhere near as good as I wanted them to. I originally had entirely different plans, but I don't know... maybe because I could only write them in small chunks over long periods of time, I messed up. They are honestly the part of Dead Zone that I'm most dissatisfied with right now, no less because they are an important part. But right now I, and the story, need to move on, so I'll be leaving them as is. If I rewrite this story, these two chapters are already on the top of the list for major overhauls.

[spoiler=Chapter 40]
[center][b][u]Chapter 40:[/b] Power Bond[/u][/center]

"What is on your mind, Lynette? Speak." Dunkan was alone with the fair-haired woman in the Aria Tower, since he had given leave to the others to depart. However, she had remained as silent as usual.

"Nothing you would find important, perhaps." Lynette shrugged. "Jacqueline is double-crossing you."

"Oh?" Dunkan corked an eyebrow. "How do you figure?"

"Call it female intuition." Lynette laughed quietly. "That woman will betray you."

"Jacqueline Deveraux is merely a tool to be used." Dunkan said crisply. "A tool that becomes dangerous must be broken - and I will not hesitate to break her, when I have to."

"Is that all?" Lynette asked. "I thought that, after coming this far, you harbored at least some affection for your allies."

"Not allies. Associates." Dunkan said coldly. "We all joined together to use the same means - but to different ends. As long as each one's goals are incompatible with the others, all we can do is compete to see who will reap the benefits of our collective effort."

"And you believe that will be you, yes?" It wasn't really a question. "But then, what is your aim? What do you intend to do with the Nexus?"

"Do you think that after keeping quiet about it for so long, I'd just reveal it to you now?" Dunkan said.

"What harm will it do?" Lynette said simply. "Everyone has a purpose. By keeping quiet about it, you only endorse suspicion. Betrayal."

"Will you betray me, then, if I don't tell you?" Dunkan did not wait for an answer. "Jacqueline Deveraux seeks to safeguard the worlds. Sannosouke Takizawa seeks to understand them. Sarunoki Moboro sought to fuse them. What do I seek? Since I am the unofficial leader, shouldn't my goals be grand enough to match that position? To rule everything. To destroy everything. Yes, those would be fitting ambitions for me. But I want no such thing."

"Then, what?" Dunkan sighed.

"How well-versed are you in physics, Lynette?" She shrugged indifferently. "There is a fundamental law that the universe works on. Through our work, I've seen every law violated. Gravity, space, time, the speed of light, even life itself are not absolute. Somewhere, there exists something to oppose them, to contradict them. Thus, they are not universal laws. They are, like everything, subject to chaos. But there is one thing that has not been denied, one law that governs even above chaos. That is, destruction."

"I'm not following you." Lynette said impatiently.

"We do not create." Dunkan said. "For everything that we make, we spend more to make it than we end up with. This is true for everything. The universe that surrounds this planet, the multiverse that surrounds all worlds - they slowly die out. They are being 'used up', shrinking, diminishing. And that is because nothing is ever created. No, everything once came into existence, and from that point on, it simply heads towards destruction. This is my purpose. I just want to create something. Prove that the fate of everything is not just an eternity of oblivion."

"If I was a theologist, I'd say that creation is the privilege of God." Lynette did not seem surprised by Dunkan's claims.

"Do you believe in God, then?" Dunkan asked. "In a God that created everything, then sealed off the right of creation from his world? My God is an ideal, Lynette, a state which I aim to reach. This state that will allow me to become a Creator - I will achieve it. Just subjugating this Nexus won't be enough. There must be a core, a center, somewhere in this multiverse. This is just the beginning. I will reach the heart of all things, and break this last unbreakable law."

"But your heart still wavers." Lynette observed. Dunkan hesitated before answering. This woman was way too perceptive, for all her aloof demeanor.

"What I saw that day... the 'thing' that connects the appearance of the red marks with Eizan's plot. It is only then that I realized its significance, but perhaps I should have seen it sooner. Project REVOLT, that is."

"REVOLT?" Lynette raised an eyebrow. "But how can that be? That story came up just about four years ago - if Lee is to be believed, the crimson marks have appeared as far back as nine years now."

"I fear that Project reaches far deeper than its instigators realized. Ylaidus might have seen through it, and that's why he blew the <Core> up. No, that affair is not over yet, and as long as Fergusson remains alive, he might still cause us trouble. But I will terminate him before he can do anything important." Dunkan sighed. "There are terrifying things in this universe, Lynette. There are things that even a God should fear, and its ironic how the most frightening of them are products of stupidity, achieved in full ignorance of their significance. Even now, I am afraid. But I will still press on."

"There were only four." Lynette said suddenly. Dunkan eyed her askance. "When you listed down Jacqueline and the others, you only mentioned four, including yourself. What about Inoue, Draco, Cornelius? Abraham? What about me?"

"You are as much a mystery to me as when we first met." Dunkan said. "That Nakahara girl, as well as Lee - people like them do not need to be mentioned in the context of ambition. Klein..." Dunkan muttered, for the first time a certain amount of spite entering his voice. "Whatever that bastard wanted, he can have it in hell. As for Ross... if he ever crawls back here, you can ask him yourself."

---

"My turn." Jacqueline said haughtily. Her Speed Counters rose to one, unlike Yuusuke's, who were already at six, along with...

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

"Just who are you..." He addressed the rider in front of him. But before she could respond, Jacqueline answered.

"Your guess was dead-on, alright. Your girl and this person here are one and the same, illegally using two different accounts to hide herself. You realize what this means, right? Your precious friend has been deceiving you for as long as you know her!"

"Is that true?" Yuusuke asked tentatively. "Is that really you, Maya?"

"Yes." Came the reply, simple and to the point. Just like the Maya he knew. But... exactly what did he know? If this was true, if she was this European champion... just what exactly...

"I'm sorry for lying to you." That person - Maya - said. "I just wanted - to get away from that past..."

"Very touching." Jacqueline said acidly. "But there is no time for sentimentality here. You are in my world, and I'm about to put an end to this." She held up a card between her fingers. Still dragged on by the autopilot, Yuusuke could only watched as she gracefully placed it on her D-Wheel's pad.

"I summon Naturia Mantis to the field in attack position!" Fazed as he was, Yuusuke was even more stunned at the appearance of a tiny green insectoid creature, big round eyes looking innocently towards him. Certainly, looks could be deceiving, but... [i]seriously?[/i]

[spoiler=Naturia Mantis][b]Naturia Mantis[/b]
EARTH / Insect
Level 4
1700/1500
When your opponent Normal Summons a monster, you can send 1 "Naturia" monster from your hand to the Graveyard to destroy that monster.[/spoiler]

"I designed these monsters myself." Jacqueline said, annoyed, even though Yuusuke had not voiced his thoughts. "If you underestimate them, prepare for the consequences. Naturia Mantis, attack Honest now!" The tiny creature sprinted forward past Yuusuke before he could retaliate, slashing at the angelic monster with its sickle-like front leg. Honest cried out before he was obliterated, a scream mirrored by Maya's as her Life Points dropped.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 3800[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]

"Is this..." Yuusuke muttered, eyes transfixed forward, to where Maya was trying to regain her balance after the strike.

"Yes." Jacqueline said behind him. "In this field, you will experience pain unlike anything you've ever felt, as your life is whittled down to nothing, and your screams will become the sacrifice to herald the appearance of a new God! How does it feel, Yuusuke? This is the same pain you dealt to her twice now. But that shouldn't be a problem for you. You've done worse, right? You've killed your friend, and you killed a person you did not know who stood up against you."

"What is she talking about, Yuusuke?" Maya yelled from ahead, panting heavily. "What have you done?" But, not allowing him the opportunity to answer, Jacqueline laughed again.

"I place two cards face-down, turn end."

"I'll make you pay for whatever you forced him to do. Draw!" Maya growled. Yuusuke unconsciously drew back. This was the Maya he knew, alright. But there was more to her. Or... less. Some 'part' of her was gone. Perhaps it was restraint - Maya always seemed to be holding something back, however Yuusuke might prod her. Perhaps it was something else. But what he felt from her now was clear - a vicious, murderous intent. It had not been too long since he had had such bloodthirst directed at him. Except, rather than fueled by madness, this one was driven by pure rage.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 7[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 7[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 2[/i][/center]

"I'll end this now! I summon Demon Roar God Raven in attack mode!" She called out the Tuner she had used before, but it was wrapped by a constricting plant.

"Sorry, but Naturia Mantis has an effect that allows me to discard a Naturia monster from my hand, in exchange for getting rid of your Normal Summoned monster." Jacqueline said, as Raven was obliterated.

"That doesn't matter. I activate Speed World 2's effect, removing seven Speed Counters in order to draw once." Her D-Wheel finally slowed down, allowing Yuusuke to catch up, driving almost beside her. From this close, he could make out her features far more clearly than he could when he last saw her in the duel against - if she was Maya, then who had the person in Sinclair's form been? Stiyel Crystal was beautiful, a regal grace. He had associated Sinclair's form with Maya, but he knew her for too long to not instantly notice the reflection of her in this avatar as well. Was it something the virtual reality system did? Or something else entirely?

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 0[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 7[/i]

"Hellway Patrol is removed from play in my Graveyard, allowing me to Special Summon Demon Roar God Kushano from my hand! And then I activate the effect of Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi, Special Summoning him by discarding Demon Roar God Lurrie, which is also Special Summoned. And now that Nozuchi was called out via its effect, I also Special Summon Krus!" Yuusuke watched in amazement as four monsters assembled on Maya's field, just like that.

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Kushano][b]Demon Roar God Kushano[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend / Tuner
Level 3
1500/800
You can discard 1 "Demon Roar God" monster to the Graveyard except "Demon Roar God Kushano" to add this card from your Graveyard to your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi][b]Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi[/b]
LIGHT / Beast
Level 2
1200/800
During your Main Phase, you can discard 1 "Demon Roar God" monster to Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Special Summoned this way, you can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower "Demon Roar God" monster from your hand.[/spoiler]

LIGHT / Fiend
Level 1
200/400
When this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Krus][b]Demon Roar God Krus[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend
Level 2
1000/800
When this card is discarded to the Graveyard, select 1 Level 4 or lower "Demon Roar" monster in your Graveyard, except this card, and Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

"And now I tune my Level 1, Demon Roar God Lurrie, my Level 2, Demon Roar God Krus, and my Level 2, Demon Roar God Beast Nozuchi, to my Level 3, Demon Roar God Kushano! Synchro Summon!" The sky beside her blazed, as another demonic winged creature appeared next to her. "Come forth, Demon Roar God Valkyrus!"

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Valkyrus][b]Demon Roar God Valkyrus[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend / Synchro
Level 8
2900/1700
1 "Demon Roar God" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn, you can discard 1 Fiend-Type monster to draw 1 card.[/spoiler]

"Valkyrus, attack Naturia Mantis!" Maya ordered, pointing her finger backwards.

"Trap, activate." Jacqueline said coldly. "Holy Barrier - Mirror Force activates, immediately destroying all of your attacking monsters. That includes, of course, monsters on both your sides of the field." Maya gasped - this move would cost both of them a lot. However -

"Counter Trap, open!" Yuusuke declared, decisively pressing forth. "Seven Tools of the Bandit will negate your Mirror Force and destroy it!"

[spoiler=Seven Tools of the Bandit][b]Seven Tools of the Bandit[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Pay 1000 Life Points. Negate the activation of a Trap Card and destroy it.[/spoiler]

"But that's going to cost you a thousand Life Points." Jacqueline said. "Do not think that you can escape the pain, simply by the technicality of the wording. It may not be direct damage, but you'll still feel every bit of that life drained away from you."

"I don't care about that, as long as we get to beat you!" Yuusuke said firmly. His anger had been numbed by his confusion, but now it was there - this woman had used him - and Maya - lied to him, deceived him, trapped him, and made him to cause such suffering to the one person he was supposed to be protecting. That anger seeped through his mind now - a thousand Life Points would be a small price to pay.

He soon regretted those words. The pain was not just physical, and was not just mental. It felt as if a thousand needles pierced his skin, barely deeply enough to draw blood. But instead of being removed, they submerged deeper and deeper, ever so slowly, until he thought he would faint from the excruciating pain. He watched the Life Point counter descend, and he could make out the individual changes in the single digit part of the count. But finally, it was over, and he sagged on his the front of his golden D-Wheel, breathing heavily.

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 3000[/i]

"Are you alright?" Maya asked anxiously, trying in vain to cut down her speed in order to catch up with him.

"Such valiant effort, yet it is for nothing." Jacqueline mocked. "I have a Trap card of my own - Dark Shrine Bribery will negate your card's effect, in exchange for letting you draw one card. Since the effect that would block my Mirror Force is no longer there, my card's effect activates." Helplessly, Yuusuke watched Valkyrus, Cherubim and Card Gunner be obliterated by a shining wave of silver-white force.

[spoiler=Dark Shrine Bribery][b]Dark Shrine Bribery[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Negate the activation of an opponent's Spell or Trap Card and destroy it. Your opponent draws 1 card.[/spoiler]

"It's not over yet." Yuusuke said angrily. "The effects of Card Gunner and Dark Shrine Bribery allow me to draw twice." He now held five cards in his hand. These were definitely enough to initiate a reversal.

"I'm sorry." Maya said nervously. "I... I shouldn't have attacked like that. I was..."

"It's alright." Yuusuke said. He had known Maya for a long time, but she was rarely upset. He understood. She had been angry, and she had made a mistake. Maya was not used to making mistakes. "We can still do this. Draw!"

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 1[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 3[/i][/center]

"I'll summon Lightlord Summoner Luminous in attack mode! And whether you use Mantis' effect or not, I activate her effect, discarding a card of my hand to revive Wolf from the Graveyard!"

[spoiler=Lightlord Summoner Luminous][b]Lightlord Summoner Luminous[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 3
1000/1000
Once per turn, you can discard 1 card to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Lightlord" monster from your Graveyard. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lightlord Beast Wolf][b]Lightlord Beast Wolf[/b]
LIGHT / Beast
Level 4
2100/300
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. When this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

"I attack with Wolf!" Yuusuke commanded. The attack went through unhindered, and Jacqueline grunted as she took the blow.

[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - LP: 3600[/i][/center]

"Why?!" Yuusuke demanded on her, whirling around to face her as well as he could. "If you were my enemy, why did you help me rescue my father? Why are you doing this to us?"

"There's no room to talk about enemies or allies, Yuusuke." Jacqueline said. "I gave you a chance - if you had just walked away after escaping the <Soul Chamber>, it would have been over. All my efforts, all my [i]life[/i] has been aimed at this point. I will use you, I will kill you if I have to, I will use and kill anyone, to do this."

Yuusuke shivered. There was a heat in her voice that he had never felt before. It was not despair, frustration, anger, determination... what was it? What was driving her now? He could not quite see through it. He glanced at Maya. He could not afford to be distracted by Jacqueline here. She was an enemy, an enemy that had to be beaten by any means necessary, in order to protect her. "I set two cards face-down. Turn end!"

"My turn." Jacqueline said.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 9[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 4[/i][/center]

"I summon Naturia Flightfly in attack mode!" A tiny bee with leaf-like feathers appeared on her field. "Thanks to her effect, the attack and defense power of all your monsters is reduced by 300!" Both Luminous and Wolf were enveloped in a toxic gas cloud, which reduced their stats. Yuusuke grunted - now that monster was strong enough to destroy Luminous. But, they still -

[spoiler=Naturia Flightfly][b]Naturia Flightfly[/b]
EARTH / Insect
Level 3
800/1500
All face-up monsters your opponent controls lose 300 ATK and DEF for each face-up "Naturia" monster you control. Once per turn, you can select 1 face-up monster your opponent controls with 0 DEF, and take control of it until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"Flightfly's secondary effect activates. Once per turn, I can gain control of a monster on your field, if it has no defense points. And thanks to Flightfly's effect, Wolf fills the quota. Yuusuke hardly had time to respond before his monster changed sides, its original attack restored in the process.

"And now, Lightlord Beast Wolf, attack her directly!" Jacqueline said savagely. Yuusuke snarled - this could not be allowed to happen.

"Trap, activate! Dark Dimension Release revives Necro Gardna from my Graveyard! And then I activate Torrential Burial, destroying all monsters on the field! Luminous, the revived Necro Gardna, Wolf and Flightfly were all annihilated in a massive aquatic wave.

[spoiler=Dark Dimension Release][b]Dark Dimension Release[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 of your removed from play DARK monsters, and Special Summon it. When this card is removed from the field, destroy and remove from play that monster. When that monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Torrential Burial][b]Torrential Burial[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when a monster is Summoned. Destroy all monsters on the field.[/spoiler]

"You would even destroy your own monsters to prevent me from harming your friend. Admirable, but it will make no difference." Jacqueline said. "I set three cards face-down. Turn end."

"Then I'll take it from here." Maya said gravely.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 10[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 5[/i][/center]

"I... I'll set a card face-down. Turn end." Yuusuke shook his head. Thanks to their earlier duel, Maya was left with very few options. He'd have to take over from here.

"My turn." He surveyed the field - his Speed Counters were reasonably high to get rid of one card, but what to use them on? It was best to test the waters, see how Jacqueline would react to his attacks.

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 11[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 6[/i][/center]

"I'll call out Lightlord Monk Eileen!" The dark-skinned priestess performed an acrobatic maneouver, leaping down next to him. "Eileen, direct attack!"

[spoiler=Lightlord Monk Eileen][b]Lightlord Monk Eileen[/b]
LIGHT / Warrior
Level 4
1600/1000
If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, return that monster to its owner's Deck before damage calculation. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"I'm afraid I can't allow that to go through. Trap, activate!" Jacqueline declared. "Call of the Living Dead will revive Naturia Butterfly, which was discarded earlier, from my Graveyard!" A rose-colored butterfly materialized in front of her, guarding her from Eileen's fierce kick.

[spoiler=Naturia Butterfly][b]Naturia Butterfly[/b]
EARTH / Insect / Tuner
Level 3
500/1200
Once per turn, when your opponent's monster declares an attack, you can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard and negate that attack.[/spoiler]

"A Tuner monster?" Yuusuke frowned. "But, five hundred attack points are a poor match for Eileen! Attack!"

"Naturia Butterfly's effect activates." Jacqueline interjected smoothly. "By sending the top card of my deck to the Graveyard, once per turn, I can negate an attack. Too bad." She smiled.

"Even so, I'll use this." Yuusuke growled. "During my second Main Phase, the effect of Speed World 2 activates, destroying one card on the field. I won't let you Synchro Summon! I target Naturia Butterfly!"

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 1[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 6[/i][/center]

"That level of strategy won't reach me. Sub-Space Matter Transfer Device! Until the End Phase, Butterfly is removed from the field!" A stream of golden light shot from the front of Yuusuke's D-Wheel, having dextrously spun around by itself to face Jacqueline, but the insect monster disappeared before it could be hit.

[spoiler=Sub-Space Matter Transfer Device][b]Sub-Space Matter Transfer Device[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Select 1 face-up monster you control and remove it from play until the End Phase of this turn.[/spoiler]

"I end my turn." Yuusuke said. "During the End Phase, Eileen's effect will drop the two uppermost cards from my deck." He did so, briefly scanning them before setting them away. At least this would enable him to do some damage during his next turn.

"Then it's back to me. And it's about time I wrapped this farce up." Jacqueline drew. As if to emphasize her ominous words, the ground itself roared, shaken by a tremendous quake.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 7[/i][/center]

"Can you feel it, Yuusuke, Maya?" She asked, waving with her free hand around her, enveloping the entire landscape with one broad motion. "This is the birth of a new era. In this world dominated by madness - you will become the seeds that will establish a new order! I activate Speed World 2's effect, removing all of my Speed Counters to draw one card."

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 0[/i][/center]

"What are you planning to do?" Yuusuke demanded. "Going through all this trouble to bring us here, to make us fight each other - are you really trying to end everything?"

"So what if I am?" Jacqueline demanded. Yuusuke thought she sounded angry. "I'm only doing what's necessary. Don't you remember what I told you? If I can bring you down... if only I can bring you two down..." Her voice shook, but it was not with fervor. Then the moment was gone, and she was composed again. "I summon Naturia Cliff!" A rectangular piece of rock, standing upright on comparatively tiny legs, its only discerning features the eyes that seemed to be attached to its front side, appeared next to the butterfly.

[spoiler=Naturia Cliff][b]Naturia Cliff[/b]
EARTH / Rock
Level 4
1500/1000
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Naturia" monster from your Deck to your side of the field in face-up Attack Position.[/spoiler]

"I'll activate another card effect - namely, the effect of Grow-Up Bulb in my Graveyard." Jacqueline stated. "I have to send another card from the top of my deck to the Graveyard, but I can return it to the field. And now I tune my Level 4, Earth monster, Naturia Cliff, to my Level 1, Earth monster, Grow-Up Bulb!" Yuusuke thought he was seeing a mirage. Deep green vines flew from the sides of Jacqueline's D-Wheel, constricting Naturia Cliff and Grow-Up Bulb. The two monsters groaned and writhed, as arm-thick thorns sprang from the restricting brambles, stabbing into their bodies, which dissolved into an aura of green light. Within that mist, a single dark brown ring, crossed by four stars, formed a tunnel which Jacqueline followed, speeding past Yuusuke. "Synchro Summon! Come to me, Naturia Beast!"

[spoiler=Grow-Up Bulb][b]Grow-Up Bulb[/b]
EARTH / Plant / Tuner
Level 1
100/100
You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard and Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. Each player can only use the effect of "Grow-Up Bulb" once per Duel.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Naturia Beast][b]Naturia Beast[/b]
EARTH / Beast / Synchro
Level 5
2200/1700
1 EARTH Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner EARTH monsters
While this card is face-up on the field, you can send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard to negate the activation of a Spell Card and destroy it.[/spoiler]

The creature that appeared had the shape of a tiger, but it was not quite an animal of the steppes. Its dark brown skin formed twisting shapes akin to the twists of a gnarled old tree trunk. Bramble-like spikes protruded directly over its front and rear legs, and thick green plumage seemed to be forming a mane around its neck.

"Your troubles are just beginning." Jacqueline said. "By activating the effect of Naturia Cliff, since it was sent to the Graveyrd, I can Special Summon a Level 4 or lower Naturia monster from my deck. I will bring out Naturia Rock." A large round stone, similar in appearance to Cliff, but slightly smaller, came into view.

[spoiler=Naturia Rock][b]Naturia Rock[/b]
EARTH / Rock
Level 3
1200/1200
When a Trap Card is activated, you can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard to Special Summon this card from your hand.[/spoiler]

"But you don't have to worry about it." She stated. "I tune my Level 3, Earth monster, Naturia Rock, to my Level 3, Earth monster, Naturia Butterfly."

"A second Synchro Summon?" Yuusuke asked incredulously, watching the same mirage occur directly in front of him. It seemed as if the very pulse of the earth was converging onto Jacqueline's D-Wheel, empowering it.

"That's right. Come out, Naturia Barkion!" On the other side of Jacqueline than the floral tiger, a wingless dragonic serpent, its scales seemingly crafted out of shed brown leaves, joined the fray. It spun around, facing Yuusuke.

[spoiler=Naturia Barkion][b]Naturia Barkion[/b]
EARTH / Dragon / Synchro
Level 6
2500/1800
1 EARTH Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner EARTH monsters
While this card is face-up on the field, you can remove from play 2 cards in your Graveyard to negate the activation of a Trap Card and destroy it.[/spoiler]

"You call this world a virtual reality." Jacqueline shouted, to be heard clearly above the noise of the engines and the roar of her new monster. "But there is nothing fake about this world! In fact, it is the very notion that this world is fake that is created via the Terminal system. When we created this world, we were already well aware that we were opening the door to a new dimension, achieving with technology what should have been outside the reach of human hands. But it's not enough, is it? It's never enough. We wanted more and more, and just like our own world, we abused and twisted this one. But the world around us is a living thing as well. And it is this very essence that rises up against you now!"

"You may talk big, but I was waiting for you to deploy your monsters." Yuusuke countered. "I activate Pitfall of Hades, destroying and removing from play Naturia Barkion!" A massive black hole opened underneath the vicious dragon - but Jacqueline merely smiled.

"Foolish boy. Naturia Barkion's effect can negate a Trap card, provided I simply remove from play two cards in my Graveyard." Yuusuke gasped as the effect disappeared, leaving the mighty dragon unharmed. "And now, Naturia Beast, attack Maya directly!" He clenched his teeth. There was nothing he could do about that... he could not stop both monsters' attacks. He could only watch as his friend suffered. Barkion rushed towards Maya, slamming its massive bulk against her. She screamed, her Life Points depleting rapidly.

"Barkion will now continue the attack!" Jacqueline ordered, and her monster uncoiled its serpentine body, lashing out to strike at Maya.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 1600[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - LP: 3600[/i][/center]

"Necro Gardna's effect activates in my Graveyard! By removing it from play, I can stop this one attack!" Yuusuke cried out. Barkion was stopped short by the illusory figure of the deceased warrior, protecting Maya from further harm. Yuusuke hung his head low bitterly. This was his fault. If he had not been so reckless, if he had been more careful -

"My turn ends." Jacqueline declared. "Show me how you will fare against the overwhelming power of nature."

---

"I... draw." Maya panted. The attack from Naturia Beast had been like a hammer blow. Her vision was blurry, and her hand shook uncontrollably on the handles of the D-Wheel. Now she was holding herself as much for support as out of habit, as she felt ready to collapse any minute now. Thankfully, Yuusuke had managed to prevent Jacqueline from erasing the rest of her Life Points. With Barkion there, her face-down card was useless. Her only chance rode on the card she would pick up now.

[center][i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]
[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

"...Project REVOLT."

"What did you say?" Jacqueline demanded, edging closer. She probably thought she hadn't right. That was because -

"Project REVOLT. This is what that guy was talking about." Maya placed her hand on Avalon's panel. A shining light burst forth, and a small, handheld mirror appeared in her hand. "For all your talk... you are only dancing to his tune, aren't you?" It had all clicked. The information Fergusson had guardedly given her... and the 'key' to the current events, the disappearance of Sanjou Kiishiro...

There was another 'path'.

"I would watch my mouth if I were you." Jacqueline hissed, speeding closer. Maya paid her no heed. She held up the <Saintess Mirror>, which was filled with a deep blue luster. Jacqueline tried to ram her D-Wheel into hers, but Maya had regained controls over Avalon. She edged sideways, swiftly avoiding the collision.

"What - how did you know - " Jacqueline stammered, regaining her balance.

"When you set up this match, you crossed the line, Jacqueline." Maya said coldly. "Like you said, this is a real world. Which means we are not at your mercy here. You have far less control than you'd like us to believe - perhaps far less than you yourselves believe. This <Saintess Mirror> will unveil all deception." The fabric of reality was being torn apart. This was the 'truth within the truth'. Fergusson, Sinclair, and Lorelei had all hinted to it. At this time, anything and everything was possible. Limitation was only a matter of perception.

"By removing from play the Demon monsters, Demon Roar God Valkyrus, Demon Roar God Reigion, and Demon Roar God Leviathan, I can Special Summon this monster from my hand. Awaken, Dark Necrofear!" A massive dark pulse swept the field. A new monster, a demonic woman whose body seemed artificially constructed, cradling the corpse of an infant, rose from the shadows in the ground, towering over Maya. That Jacqueline instantly understood the implications of its summon did not need to be said - the frightened look in her eyes was complete confirmation.

[spoiler=Dark Necrofear][b]Dark Necrofear[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 8
2200/2800
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing from play 3 Fiend-Type monsters in your Graveyard. If this card is destroyed by battle, or by your opponent's card effect while it is a Monster Card, equip it to a monster your opponent controls during the End Phase of this turn. Take control of the equipped monster.[/spoiler]

"Dark Necrofear, attack Naturia Beast." Maya commanded. The demon rose her hand, a black shockwave shooting forward, but at the same time, the opposing tiger rushed head-first into it, reaching the monster with its giant claws. Both creatures were obliterated in a massive explosion.

"Dark Necrofear's monster effect." Maya stated. "When she is destroyed by battle, I can take control of one of the opponent's monsters. My choice is Naturia Barkion!"

"N - no!" Jacqueline howled. A shadow wrapped around Barkion, and the dragon was bewitched by Dark Necrofear's curse, dragged forcefully to Maya's side of the field.

"It's up to you, Yuusuke." She said. Yuusuke nodded. Maya could feel the intensity in his eyes. He had become stronger, both in skill and resolve, in this past week. Maya was proud. The mirror in her hand felt warm. This was what she had been sent here for. If there was one power that could prevail in this chaos, that was the heart that believed in itself, a heart that believed in others. They could not lose.

"Draw!" Yuusuke said.

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 4[/i]

"It's over now, Jacqueline!" He declared. "I release Eileen to summon Lightlord Dragon Gragonis to the field!" Piercing rays of light shattered the clouds overhead, shedding a brilliant luster onto the field. Maya thought it was a glorious sight - descending from the heavens, the white-and-gold dragon roared, causing the very earth to tremble.

[spoiler=Lightlord Dragon Gragonis][b]Lightlord Dragon Gragonis[/b]
LIGHT / Dragon
Level 6
2000/1600
This card gains 300 ATK and DEF for each "Lightlord" monster with a different name in your Graveyard. During battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster whose DEF is lower than the ATK of this card, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Gragonis gets three hundred points for every Lightlord in my Graveyard." Yuusuke explained. "Rise, my warriors!" Garos, Wolf, Luminous, Cherubim, and Eileen all appeared as spectral images, threads of light flowing from their illusory bodies into the dragon, empowering it to 3500 points.

"Gragonis, attack directly!" Yuusuke commanded. The serpentine creature glided towards Jacqueline, opening its jaws to release a white-hot stream of golden flame. Maya was fairly certain the woman was not feeling damage the same way that they did, but she still screamed as she was bathed in that heavenly fire.

[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - LP: 100[/i][/center]

"It's not over yet!" She panted, emerging from the blast. "I... I won't give up!"

"No. It's all over." Yuusuke held out a card, and Jacqueline's eyes widened, her lips trembling with shock. "Speed World 2's effect activates! For every Speed Spell in my hand, namely, this Speed Spell - Summon Speeder, I can deal 800 points of damage to you." Unceremoniously, a flash of energy shot forth from Yuusuke's D-Wheel, striking down Jacqueline for the remainder of her Life Points.

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - SPC: 0[/i]

[i][b]Jacqueline Deveraux[/b] - LP: 0[/i][/center]

Three sets of tires screeched to a halt. Yuusuke virtually jumped of the golden vehicle, rushing towards Jacqueline, who appeared dazed by the sudden turn of events. He grabbed her from the collar of her uniform, forcefully knocking her into the ground. Maya did not try to stop him - she felt quite inclined to punch the woman into submission.

"You lost this, Jacqueline. Now speak up! What are you doing here, and what do we do to stop it?" Yuusuke demanded. But, pinned as she was to the ground, Jacqueline suddenly regained her composure. She flicked her hand, and Yuusuke was knocked back by an invisible force, smashing into the ground. Maya rushed to him, just as Jacqueline rose, needlessly dusting off her clothes.

"This was never a battle, Yuusuke." She said sweetly. "When the time comes for us to truly fight, I will show you things that you cannot even begin to understand right now. I won. Look around you." Maya did, and noticed that three pillars of black light had surged up from the bowels of the earth, climbing to unseen heights into the stormy sky.

"Thanks to you, Maya, this went surprisingly smoothly." Jacqueline said. "If you had any sense, you should both be running away just about now. The world outside won't be much safer, of course, but I think this one will be completely evaporated once the Nexus envelops it. But you can't, can you? You've set yourself to settle things, both with the world, and with yourselves. It is those foolish ideals that will bring you down."

"How can you say that?" Yuusuke asked, pushing himself up on unsteady feet. "You told me yourself, didn't you? About that day - "

"It doesn't matter any more." Jacqueline shook her head. "Nothing matters. You should consider this a trial, that you two passed, for now. But much more danger awaits you. You can avoid it by giving up now - after all, your efforts are completely meaningless."

"We won't just surrender!" Yuusuke said, looking uncertainly at Maya. She held his gaze, clenching his hand in hers. He nodded firmly. They had made their resolve, so long ago, and now they had renewed it.

"So be it." Jacqueline's body began fading into an emerald mist, dissipating until nothing could be seen of her but a pair of piercing black eyes. "You have taken but a small step in unraveling your fate, Maya. And as for you, Yuusuke... we will meet again, soon."

[/spoiler]

To compensate for the long wait, tomorrow, as well as the day after tomorrow, I'll be posting the two Extra Chapters that will be featured in this arc, which have been ready since the end of the previous one. These two are actually two parts of a whole, so they're meant to be read together.

Hmm, Jacqueline, being a wee bit mysterious now, aren't you? I wonder what's motivating her as well. For some reason, a part of me thinks it's love, but another part tells me that's ridiculous.

Nice speech at the beginning of the chapter, by the way. I quite enjoyed it. Though I still have to wonder about Lynette, and what her role is in all of this.

Also, I presume they found out about Abraham and the girl, that's why he said "If he crawls back here," or am I missing something?

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1304288843' post='5182677']
Jacqueline's motives were revealed, to a certain extent, in the previous chapter. And Dunkan was talking about Ross when he said that.

I love your signature. So funny.
[/quote]

Ah yes, now that I reread, I understand both of those. My bad.

And- thanks! I found the image and knew I had to use it.

So happy to read this. First of all, great chapter name (as always).

I'm glad you're balancing the way you are using 'The 9', introducing them one by one with their own agendas and sub plots, some (Moboro) getting the one battle, whereas some (Ross, Deveraux) are getting 2 or so. Liking Lynette Rayleigh, think Inoue and the other Japanese gentleman are left to come to the fore in a major way (I'm guessing Lee will in the next 6/7 chapters) As for Ross, interesting, a lose cannon in the works for Dunkan?

Am I being thick when I ask, have we met Yliadus yet, or is he yet to be introduced?

Love how you keep popping new ways of winning out.

Disaster despite victory, along with the "This isn't over!!!" always works.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1304362339' post='5184154']So happy to read this. First of all, great chapter name (as always).[/quote]

I actually struggled a bit with the name. I didn't want to use Power Bond originally because it had a rather limited scope, but in the end it worked out.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1304362339' post='5184154']I'm glad you're balancing the way you are using 'The 9', introducing them one by one with their own agendas and sub plots, some (Moboro) getting the one battle, whereas some (Ross, Deveraux) are getting 2 or so. Liking Lynette Rayleigh, think Inoue and the other Japanese gentleman are left to come to the fore in a major way (I'm guessing Lee will in the next 6/7 chapters) As for Ross, interesting, a lose cannon in the works for Dunkan?[/quote]

If you think you got the order figured out, chapter 41 might surprise you a little.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1304362339' post='5184154']Am I being thick when I ask, have we met Yliadus yet, or is he yet to be introduced?[/quote]

You haven't explicitly met him, though the most observant of you should be anticipating his appearance by now, and you will probably go "oh jeez, finally, [i]that [/i]guy popped up..." when I reveal more.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1304362339' post='5184154']Love how you keep popping new ways of winning out.[/quote]

Trying hard to keep it fresh.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1304362339' post='5184154']Disaster despite victory, along with the "This isn't over!!!" always works.[/quote]

However, both Yuusuke and Maya gained something from this experience.

These two extra chapter will shift the scene into a less dramatic, but equally intense fight. I could tell you what they are about, but I think I'll let you discover for yourselves. Enjoy.

[spoiler=Extra Chapter 3]
[center][b][u]Extra Chapter 3:[/b] Stardust Shimmer[/u][/center]

The <Starlight Reverie> was, perhaps, the most prestigious Duel Field in the virtual world. It was not normally accessible. It only opened on one specific occasion, and that was the championship finals that were held every five years. As such, it was constructed with extreme care. Pure gold marble stretched across the floor, while columns that were crafted out of translucent crystals framed the chamber. The dome, supported only by those columns overhead was polished black, reflecting the light of several massive chandeliers that hung from the ceiling. There were no walls, but where the floor ended, the black infinity of a starlit night stretched into unmeasurable distances.

Though the battle was broadcasted across the globe, only two people were allowed in this place, the contestants themselves. In the magnificent solitude of this isolated space, they would fight until the very end.

On one side, Kirizaki Maya, or rather, Stiyel Crystal, pure silver, silk-soft hair flowing behind her. Her crystal blue eyes were narrowed slightly, adjusting for the focused lighting. The <Esper Vision Dress> fit snugly around her lean figure, the black velvet reflecting the light at odd angles, causing peculiar shadows to appear on the golden floor underneath.

Opposing her, Azgalor, the second champion to have reached the final stage of the tournament, looked equally imposing. The clothing he had chosen for the occasion was the <Gem-Crafted Wizard's Robe>, a sparkling deep green cloak adorned with millions of small precious gems, wrapped around dark blue garbs. The hood was not drawn up, revealing an austere face with flaring black hair, and a pair of stern black eyes.

Maya summoned the <Rod of Dominion> and equipped her deck. Rather than a scepter, the fabled <Zodiac Abacus> materialized in front of her opponent. Like Maya's Rod, it was a device that enabled one to duel without the use of a Duel Disk. Such legendary items were given away as promotional gifts, or rewards for winning top-tier competitions. The Abacus was a translucent ring with twelve symbols around it, each of them standing for one of the card zones, including the field card, with the uppermost being a visual display of the remaining Life Points. In the center, displays could be seen for the deck, graveyard, as well as removed cards, while the cards the duelist was holding in their hand were floating symetrically around the device.

It was time to get started.

[center][i][b]Duel Commencing[/b][/i][/center]

The chamber shook with a powerful quake. Flames sprouted from the floor, licking the marble structures. They embraced the two duelists, but left them unharmed as they rushed to the sides of the arena, illuminating it brightly. A massive flaming arrow appeared above the pair, spinning around with ever-increasing speed, until finally, it settled pointing towards Azgalor.

"Duel!!" With a roar of thunder, the finals began.

[center][i][b]Azgalor[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

"It looks like fortune favors me, miss Crystal." Azgalor said seriously, observing the cards that appeared around the Zodiac Abacus. "I will begin by setting a monster in face-down defense position, then two reverse cards. Turn end."

"Draw." Maya forced a card to appear in front of her, alongside the other five. What deck was Azgalor using? The information was freely available, of course - but it was only updated until the final round of the tournament began. Since matches were kept under wraps, to be broadcast later, there was no way of finding out. She was walking in blindly. The same should apply to her opponent, of course, but Maya generally did not change her deck much. Azgalor, on the other side, had been observed to use at least five different decks. It was not going to be easy. But then, she had never expected it to be easy.

She was here to win, and that was it.

"I call to the field, Demon Roar God Ashenveil!" One of her cards flipped around, and a winged marauder, muscular body clad in dark purple clothes, a thick barbed tail flowing behind it, as a black vizor covered half its face, materialized between them, flexing its arms.

[spoiler=Demon Roar God Ashenveil][b]Demon Roar God Ashenveil[/b]
LIGHT / Fiend
Level 4
1600/1200
If this card battles with your opponent's monster, you can send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard during damage calculation to have this card gain 600 ATK during damage calculation only.[/spoiler]

"Battle." Maya ordered, pointing with her scepter at the concealed monster. Ashenveil roared vigorously, leaping up to its target. Azgalor did not speak, but one of the reverse cards beside the concealed monster, represented on the Abacus by a symbol that began glowing white, turned around, and Ashenveil was enveloped in the destructive clutches of Mirror Force.

[spoiler=Holy Barrier - Mirror Force][b]Holy Barrier - Mirror Force[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

[i]To be willing to play such a powerful card on Ashenveil - that monster must be important.[/i] Maya scowled - sadly, there was nothing she could do about it right now. "Two reverse cards. Turn end." But before she could finish her sentence, the second card her opponent had placed revealed itself. Two small flames were materialized on either side of the hidden monster, as the effect of Blazes of Demise, cleverly used during the opponent's End Phase to avoid the restriction, conjured the two tokens.

[spoiler=Blazes of Demise][b]Blazes of Demise[/b]
SPELL / Normal
If you activate this card, you cannot Summon other monsters this turn. Special Summon 2 "Doomsday Tokens" (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. These tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon, unless it is for a DARK monster.[/spoiler]

"It is my turn." Azgalor stated coolly. "Flip Summon, Illusion Summoner!" A middle-aged monk in characteristic Far Eastern orange garb, carrying a heavy tome, was revealed between the tokens. "Illusion Summoner's flip effect allows the release of one monster on my field." Azgalor pointed at one token, which dissipated in a swirl of flame. "Then, a Fusion monster can be Special Summoned, ignoring the prerequisites."

[spoiler=Illusion Summoner][b]Illusion Summoner[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 3
800/900
FLIP: Tribute 1 other monster to Special Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck. The Fusion Monster is destroyed at the end of the turn this effect is activated.[/spoiler]

Flashes of white lightning streaked across the faraway ceiling. A silver pillar exploded behind Azgalor. A beast's shape appeared within - but it was not a living thing, rather, a mechanical monstrosity of enormous proportions. Thought its body was uniform, akin to a giant metallic snake, it split twice starting from where the neck should be, diverging into three separate heads. Broad wings kept it afloat. This was the ultimate last monster of the Cyber Dragon origin, barring the Chimeratech counterparts. Cyber End Dragon. A monster with 4000 attack points, quite enough to finish her off in one blow.

[spoiler=Cyber End Dragon][b]Cyber End Dragon[/b]
LIGHT / Machine / Fusion
Level 10
4000/2800
"Cyber Dragon" + "Cyber Dragon" + "Cyber Dragon"
A Fusion Summon of this card can only be conducted with the above Fusion Material Monsters. During battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster whose DEF is lower than the ATK of this card, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent.[/spoiler]

"I'm not done yet, though." Azgalor said, flipping over two more cards in his 'hand'. "By discarding a Level 8 or higher monster, I can Special Summon Hard Armdragon to the field." One of the, perhaps, most disturbing creatures of the dragon tribe in the game, a beast crafted out of bones and dark crimson tissue, all the skin removed from it, its bulk staying afloat on skeletal wings, appeared next to its mechanical counterpart.

[spoiler=Hard Armdragon][b]Hard Armdragon[/b]
EARTH / Dragon
Level 4
1500/800
You can send 1 Level 8 or higher monster from your hand to the Graveyard and Special Summon this card. If you Tribute this card for the Tribute Summon of a Level 7 or higher monster, that monster cannot be destroyed by card effects.[/spoiler]

"What exactly are you trying to do..." Maya muttered under her breath, verifying the identity of the monster that had been sent to the Graveyard. That was Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, a seemingly unrelated creature. What was this guy's plan?

"I see you are surprised." Azgalor noted. "I suppose you cannot be blamed. When you focus this much on Synchro Summoning, you forget what power might lie in other aspects of this game... I release Cyber End Dragon and Hard Armdragon!" Both creatures disappeared in torrents of light, that from white and brown for the two beings of Light and Earth respectively, soon turned into a deep azure, condensing into a single point overhead, before raining down like a massive downpour. "Advance Summon! Descend, The tyrant NEPTUNE!!"

Maya shied backwards, eyes wide in horror. Azgalor was right - she would never had anticipated this move, and yet it did not make it any less destructive. An armored black alligator, standing on its hind legs, massive spikes protruding from its body, towered over Azgalor, easily overwhelming in size even Cyber End Dragon. In its hands was held a pitch-black scythe. Its eyes glowed with a sinister blaze, standing out from between the shadows its form had cast onto the field. Its very breath sent shivers up Maya's spine. The tyrant NEPTUNE, one of the monsters christened after the solar system's planets. Depending on what exactly was used to summon it, it could be a devastating force. And Azgalor had managed just about one of the best combinations possible.

[spoiler=The tyrant NEPTUNE][b]The tyrant NEPTUNE[/b]
WATER / Reptile
Level 10
0/0
This card cannot be Special Summoned. You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 monster. This card gains the total ATK and DEF of the monster Tributed for its Tribute Summon. When this card is Tribute Summoned, select 1 of the Tributed Effect Monsters in the Graveyard. Treat this card's name as that monster's name, and this card gains the same effects as that monster.[/spoiler]

"The tyrant NEPTUNE, when it is advance summoned, will gain the combined attack and defense power as the released monsters." Azgalor said. "Therefore, its scores are now 5500, and 3600. Then, NEPTUNE will inherit the name and effect of one of the released monsters - naturally, my target is Cyber End Dragon. Now NEPTUNE will inflict piercing damage. Finally, Hard Armdragon's effect - when it is released for the advance summon of a high-level monster, that monster gains immunity to all forms of effect destruction."

The difference was massive. Maya only had her two reverse cards. Azgalor had expended all his resources, barring a single card left in his hand, to summon one of the most frightening forces anyone could muster in the game.

"If you feel like surrendering, now is the appropriate time." Azgalor said. Maya set her jaw stubbornly - she would not be defeated like this. She had not come this far, just to walk away now. Even though, in reality, she was just a thirteen-year-old girl trying to make her parents proud - in here, she was the undefeated sorceress, Stiyel Crystal. She had her own pride to uphold. And she was not out of options just yet.

"Trap card, Call of the Living Dead." She announced, lifting her reverse card. "Demon Roar God Ashenveil is revived." The fiendish creature reappeared, staring defiantly at the monstrous tyrant.

[spoiler=Call of the Living Dead][b]Call of the Living Dead[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When this card is removed from the field, destroy the monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

"You wouldn't have Honest in your hand now, would you?" Azgalor asked airily. Maya only stared at him. A long moment of silence passed between them. Then, as though he had confirmed something, Maya's opponent nodded.

"Battle. The tyrant NEPTUNE, attack Demon Roar God Ashenveil!"

"I activate a card effect from my hand!" Maya said abruptly. "When I receive an attack, I can send one monster of the demon tribe from the field, as well as one more from my hand, to the Graveyard, in order to Special Summon this from my hand! Come, Darkness Neosphere!" Though she had not had Honest in her hand - how had Azgalor guessed? - this monster could protect her fairly well.

If one had to be fair, despite NEPTUNE's ominous appearance, Maya's monster was at least as frightening, at least as far as looks were concerned. Blossoming from a dark flower, a tall humanoid creature, taller than Maya herself, its body covered in thick, twisting brambles, like a spider's web focusing around two spots, on the left breast and right shoulder, where massive eyes were located, the black irises in constant motion. Its lower body seemed to merge into the ground, while its gigantic arms hung limply at its sides. As if to compensate for the eyes on its torso, the monster's face was covered by a blindfold. Rich purple hair flew from the top of its head, and twin wings, one pure white, the other black and twisted, emerged from its sides.

[spoiler=Darkness Neosphere][b]Darkness Neosphere[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 10
4000/4000
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by sending 1 Fiend-Type monster you control and 1 Fiend-Type monster from your hand to the Graveyard when your opponent's monster declares an attack. This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn, you can return all face-up Trap Cards you control to the hand.[/spoiler]

"Formidable as that monster is, it is still weaker than NEPTUNE." Azgalor said dismissively. "Tyrant NEPTUNE, attack Darkness Neosphere!"

"But, Darkness Neosphere cannot be destroyed by battle." Maya pointed out.

"Regardless, battle damage will be dealt." The scythe passed harmlessly through Neosphere's illusory body, leaving no sign of damage, but a stream of black energy struck Maya. She groaned by the force of the attack, as her Life Points fell to 2500.

[i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 2500[/i][/center]

"I will set one face-down card. Turn end."

"Draw." Maya said. Well, noone had claimed she had to [i]destroy[/i] that monster to get rid of it. "By removing from play the Dark monster, Hellway Patrol, which was discarded for the summoning of Darkness Neosphere, and the Light monster, Demon Roar God Ashenveil, in my Graveyard from play, to Special Summon Chaos Sorcerer. And I'll use its effect immediately, removing The tyrant NEPTUNE from play."

[spoiler=Hellway Patrol][b]Hellway Patrol[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1600/1200
When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the Level of the destroyed monster x 100. You can remove from play this card in your Graveyard to Special Summon 1 Fiend-Type monster with 2000 or less ATK from your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Chaos Sorcerer][b]Chaos Sorcerer[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 6
2300/2000
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster in your Graveyard from play. Once per turn, you can remove 1 face-up monster on the field from play. If you activate this effect, this card cannot attack during this turn.[/spoiler]

"I activate the Counter Trap, Horn of Ascension." Azgalor retorted calmly. "By releasing Illusion Summoner, both the summon and, naturally, the effect of your Chaos Sorcerer is negated." Maya gritted her teeth. Not only had she lost her monster, but Azgalor had cleverly removed the attack position Illusion Summoner from the field, protecting his Life Points. She could do nothing.

[spoiler=Horn of Ascension][b]Horn of Ascension[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field. Negate the Normal Summon / Flip Summon / Special Summon of a monster and destroy it.[/spoiler]

"At the very least, Darkness Neosphere will attack the leftover token." She said. The monster's head flipped around, as if disconnected from the neck. Thick hair parted to reveal a truly terrifying face, gnarled and rotting, that unleashed a piercing scream, annihilating the defensive token. "Then, Darkness Neosphere's effect activates, returning the face-up Call of the Living Dead to my hand. I set two cards face-down, turn end." She could only persevere for now.

"It is my turn." Azgalor said. "Battle. The tyrant NEPTUNE, attack Darkness Neosphere!" Maya gritted her teeth at the aftermath of the strike, her life points plunging further down. Just two attacks, and she was on the verge of defeat. She had to do something, fast.

[i][b]Stiyel Crystal[/b] - LP: 1000[/i][/center]

Azgalor seemed to be in deep thought for a moment. He glanced at the field, then at the single card atop the Abacus that represented his hand. "I'll set a monster." He said finally. "Turn end."

"Then I draw." Maya brought a card forth. She narrowed her eyes. This card wasn't much good at the moment. She did have the materials face-down to hold out one more turn, if it came to that. But, that reverse monster could lead up to another strategy.

"Battle. Darkness Neosphere, attack!" She announced. "Annihilate that reverse monster!" The concealed card flipped over, revealing a small black jar, in which a grinning face underneath a single wide eye could be seen. Maya gasped - Metamorpot was never a card she would have played in this situation!

[spoiler=Metamorpot][b]Metamorpot[/b]
EARTH / Rock
Level 2
700/600
FLIP: Both players discard their hands, then draw 5 cards.[/spoiler]

"You know the effect, I assume." Azgalor said. "We must each discard all cards in our hands, and draw five cards anew. I have nothing to discard, so I will simply draw five." The holograms of five cards appeared once more around the Zodiac Abacus.

"Then I'll discard this." Maya flipped over the single card in front of her. "But, when Demon Roar God Lurrie is discarded, it is instantly Special Summoned!" A small black winged devil appeared on the field. "Then I draw." She waved the Rod of Dominion, and five new cards came into view in front of her.

LIGHT / Fiend
Level 1
200/400

"Why did you play that?" Maya demanded. "You already had what you needed to beat me on the field. This only gave me more options!"

"But, I was running out of options as well." Azgalor admitted. "It was only a matter of turns before you found a way to get rid of my monster. Darkness Neosphere could instantly reduce my Life Points to zero. If you had something that could get rid of NEPTUNE, I would be through this turn. It was a necessary precaution."

"I hope you don't regret it, then." Maya scowled. "During the second Main Phase, I release Demon Roar God Lurrie, to advance Summon Wicked Emperor Gaius!" The giant armored creature's black form emerged from a pillar of dark light, its sinister red eyes glowing fiercely. "When Gaius is advance summoned, a card on the field is removed - and though it is invulnerable to destruction, The tyrant NEPTUNE can easily be taken care of by this effect!"

[spoiler=Wicked Emperor Gaius][b]Wicked Emperor Gaius[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 6
2400/1000
When this card is Tribute Summoned, remove from play 1 card on the field. If it was a DARK Monster Card, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.[/spoiler]

"Not if I activate this." Azgalor countered calmly. "From my hand, Effect Veiler. It can be discarded to negate the effects of a monster you control, until the End Phase. Therefore, Gaius is powerless now." Did this guy have a plan for [i]everything?[/i]

[spoiler=Effect Veiler][b]Effect Veiler[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster / Tuner
Level 1
0/0
During your opponent's Main Phase, you can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard to select 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls. Negate the effect(s) of that monster until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"Fine. Then I'll end my turn with a face-down card." Maya sighed.

"Draw." Her enemy announced. "Why would I play Metamorpot at that timing? Well, it helped me out quite a bit, too. I activate the permanent magic, Future Fusion. With this, a Fusion monster in my Extra Deck is targeted, and the Fusion Material monsters can be sent from my Deck to the Graveyard. Then, I can Fusion Summon that monster in two turns from now - but for the moment, I target the legendary monster, Five God Dragon, in my Graveyard. Five God Dragon requires five monsters of the Dragon clan to be merged together. Therefore, I send three Red-Eyes Wyverns, and two Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragons." Five cards appeared between them, being drawn to a converging light overhead. This was way too troublesome. If he did that -

[spoiler=Future Fusion][b]Future Fusion[/b]
SPELL / Continuous
Send, from your Deck to the Graveyard, Fusion Material Monsters that are listed on a Fusion Monster Card, and select that 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck. Special Summon a Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck with the same name as the selected Fusion Monster during your 2nd Standby Phase after this card's activation. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.) When this card is removed from the field, destroy the monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Red-Eyes Wyvern][b]Red-Eyes Wyvern[/b]
WIND / Dragon
Level 4
1800/1600
During your End Phase, if you did not Normal Summon or Set a monster this turn, you can remove from play this card from your Graveyard to Special Summon 1 "Red-Eyes" monster from your Graveyard, except "Red-Eyes B. Chick".[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon][b]Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon[/b]
DARK / Dragon
Level 10
2800/2400
You can remove from play 1 Dragon-Type monster you control to Special Summon this card. Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster, except "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon", from your hand or Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"But either way. I will attack Wicked Emperor Gaius with The tyrant NEPTUNE."

"Trap card, Guard Block." Maya countered. "An instance of battle damage is negated, and I can draw one card."

[spoiler=Guard Block][b]Guard Block[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only during damage calculation during your opponent's turn. The Battle Damage you would receive becomes 0. Draw 1 card.[/spoiler]

"Your monster is still destroyed, though." Azgalor pointed out. Indeed, Gaius was slashed in half by the tyrant's scythe. Maya shielded her face from the blast. "I set two cards face-down. At this time, my turn is over. During the End Phase, provided I did not Normal Summon or Set a monster, I can remove from play Red-Eyes Wyvern in my Graveyard to Special Summon Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon from my Graveyard. And I will do this three times, to bring forth all three of my dragons, all in Defense Position." The ferocious metallic behemoths were reborn in bursts of black flame, howling fiercely as they flew around the tyrant - still mere pets compared to the alligator's immense bulk.

Four monsters confronting her single one. This was a terrible scenario. Yet, Maya had faith in her deck. She would definitely persevere, and emerge victorious.

[/spoiler]

Archived