Cost vs Effect

In that specific scenario, Magic Jammer's discard is a cost, and Sillva needs to be discarded by an effect, so Sillva will not be Summoned.

It's usually pretty clear when reading a card whether something is a cost or an effect. For one, costs are usually stated first in the card, after activation requirements.

Thanks, and does anyone think they'll ever come up with a card to counter Obelisk's effect?

Activate only when your opponent summons or activates "obelisk teh tormentor"'s Effect

You win.

And i think saying its a cost would be a great idea. I was gonna make ice barrier dark worlds, but noooo. Brionac had to be a cost effect :(

I have doubts about that one.

Like I've said, it's usually very easy to tell just by where the lines are on the card, or how it's worded.

"Discard one card from your hand during Main Phase 1" is, in one sentence, both the cost and condition. You can't use the effect any other time during the Turn except Main Phase 1. Discarding the card is the cost needed to activate the effect. The Effect then follows.

Archived