Writer's Guild! Onwards to the Land of Fantasy!

So, this will be a club for people who are interested in the fanfic section. This will be a place where you will flaunt your own work, and criticize and review the work of others. However, this is not like any other writer's club. There are a few standards that must be met here. I will personally decide whether you meet that criteria, but below will be a few little 'requirements' (by no means set in stone) for entry. Applying here has several benefits. Your work will get reviewed on a regular basis. You can ask for advice or help here and know that you will receive intelligent responses. And, if you're just looking for something interesting to read, you may just find what you need in our archives! I will break down the essence of this organization in the following spoilers:

[spoiler=Rules & Regulations]
1) Read!
2) Write!
3) Review!
4) Follow all YCM rules
5) This club / thread is for intelligent discussions. Discussions are allowed. Pointless spamming will be condemned.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=I want to join!]
Joining is very simple. All you have to do is present me with a piece of work that demonstrates a certain amount of basic writing capacity. That can be a story you are writing, a review of another person's story, or anything else. All you need to do is prove that you have some connection to the fabulous world of writing. Of course, you may not be accepted. We're sorry to break this down to you, but you may be outright terrible, in which case we will not be able to satisfy your needs. If you are rejected on those grounds, speak with Dr Cakey for further guidance. But, if you are an average person with an average ability to handle the written word, you are as good as in.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=I'm in, where is my free secks?]
Sadly, nowhere. We all endorse journeys into fantasy land, but finding [i]that[/i] here would require too much of a stretch of our imagination. What you will find for being here, though, is a consistent stream of reviews on a regular basis from our members, as well as plenty of chances to return the favor. Any writer worth his salt feeds on criticism - and here, you'll get plenty of that. As long as you are willing to work for it, of course. There will be plenty of other boons, but we'll discuss those later.
[/spoiler]

Now that we're done with the technicalities, I'll present to you the skeleton of our guild. It may seem humble now, but it will fill up as soon as more people start joining. And by more people, I mean you! Yes, you. Don't hide behind the Written Cards section! You know your true calling.

[spoiler=So who are all these awesome people that have joined?]
1) The Epic [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/11745-epic-hero-saber/"]~ Epic Hero - Saber ~[/url] { Author || Reviewer }
2) The Sky Emperor [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/138593-evilfusion/"]evilfusion[/url] { Author || Reviewer }
3) The Wise [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/108408-twig/"]Twig[/url] { Reviewer }
4) The Dragonfire, [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/258150-bahamut-zero/"]Matt Bahamut[/url] { Author || Reviewer }
5) Yesterday's Champion, [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/3059-star/"]Star[/url] { Author || Reviewer }
6) The Irregular [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/5839-umbra/"]Umbra[/url] { Author || Reviewer }
7) The Preferred Title [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/115072-darkplant/"]Darkplant[/url] {Author || Reviewer }
[/spoiler]

Now you may notice a cool title hanging behind Saber's username. Join now, and you'll get a free one for yourself! Your title will be a badge of pride to wear as you flaunt your way to the top of the YCM's writing branch. You will also notice two tags following. An Author is a person who is writing - currently - a story, and would really love it if you, yes, you, could throw a review his way. A Reviewer is a person who is looking for stories to read. We are not all writing all the time, of course, and you can certainly be here without writing a story at the time. In that case you will be ranked as simply a Reviewer. But, being an Author means that you pretty much want your stories to be read and criticized, and thus, you feel that reviewing is a good thing, and thus you want to do it yourself! Therefore, if you are an Author, you are automatically a Reviewer as well. More tags may crop up later, but for now, that's it.

[spoiler=Stories Archive]
1) [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/232937-yu-gi-oh-dead-zone/"]Yu-Gi-Oh! ~ Dead Zone[/url] (by ~ Epic Hero - Saber ~)
2) [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/227678-yu-gi-oh-5ds-spiritual-ruin-pg-13/"]Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds: Spiritual Ruin[/url] (by evilfusion)
3) [url=" http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/237610-yu-gi-oh-armageddon-pg13/"]Yu-Gi-Oh - Armageddon[/url] (by Bahamut ZERO)
4) [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/238955-yugioh-cross-roads-new-episode-5-running-out-of-time-part-two-posted/"]YuGiOh: Cross Roads[/url] (by Star)
5) [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/232922-legacy-of-the-tormentor-the-dark-doorway/"]Legacy of the Tormentor: The Dark Doorway[/url] (by Umbra)
6) [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/244050-the-beast-of-extrarius-dark-fantasy-a-rep-to-constructive-critisism/"]The Beast of Extarius[/url] (by Darkplant)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Reviews Archive]
*In here, we will link to reviews that we feel are exceptionally well done, so that our future, past and present members may use them as examples. This section will be expanded later with perhaps a thread dedicated to reviews etc*
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Campaigns]
*Every week (after we kick this thing into gear) I - or someone else - will start a new writing campaign. It can have a variety of themes. It can be a contest for character designs, a reviewing spree, a short story extravaganza, a collaboration story or whatever. There will always be something to do around here!*
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ranking System]
*To encourage active participation, I've not only started referring to myself in the plural form, but also set up a points system. You post a story? You earn points! You post a review? You earn points! You can win points via many things here, and depending on your points, you just may climb up a rank! But, this won't kick in for a bit, so I'll leave it at that for now.*
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Application]
WELL... might as well put this up for people who like things tight and official.

[s][b]Username[/b][/s]: NO THANKS, I CAN FIGURE THIS OUT FOR MYSELF.
[b]Your Excerpt[/b]: [put up a link to the sample mentioned earlier here]
[b]Your Favorite Color[/b]: [just for some color-coding shenanigans]
[b]Your Preferred Title[/b]: [must be unique. Also, doesn't mean you're going to get it! *wink*]
[b]Your Status[/b]: [Author or Reviewer. If you are an Author, you must put up a link to your active story]
[/spoiler]

So, there you have it. A few select people will be promptly and personally invited. If you're not one of them, just step up in and call in your friends! Never again feel disappointed about the lack of responses to your hard work! Never again feel unrewarded for a particularly extensive review! Never again have to sift through piles of trash just to find a quality piece to read! Join the Writer's Guild today, and earn free cookies!

[u][b]Challenges[/b][/u]:

[url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/241250-writers-guild-onwards-to-the-land-of-fantasy/page__view__findpost__p__5040939"]First Challenge[/url]

[b]Leaderboard[/b]:
[this will be a tally that will count each member's points across all challenges. PoA stands for Points of Awesome]

• The Dragonfire, Matt Bahamut [20 PoA]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your Excerpt: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/227678-yu-gi-oh-5ds-spiritual-ruin-pg-13/

Your Favorite Color: I'll go with "green"

Your Preferred Title: Um..."Master of Skiel" or something similar.

Your Status: Author. (http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/227678-yu-gi-oh-5ds-spiritual-ruin-pg-13/)

That's because I was preparing everything at the same time =/.

Now we just need to get a few more people in here. Then we can put up a schedule and force the quality of the Fanfic section to skyrocket.

In the meantime, if you have any suggestions or anything else, shoot it my way. I'll be reviewing your story tomorrow - it's been a while since I read it and I need to catch up - but I'd like to get a few things done here.

[spoiler=Your Excerpt:]
I don't seem to understand [put up a link to the sample mentioned earlier here]. If it is what I think it is, sadly, every story I've posted are old and rotten. So I'll just write an excerpt here!

In Rose's nightmares, there was always fire. The blinding flames were everywhere, and smoke was all that she could breath. Oddly, the fire didn't burn her, but it was still scorching hot. The door were just a few yards away, and she was running towards it, but everything seemed to be in slow motion, increasing the panic and the fear. Just when she would touch the door knob, the burning roof would collapse and fall on her. Rose would try to get up, but her body wouldn't respond. Then the rain starts pouring, and the flames shrink.

After that, she would look up to see herself across the field still carrying the bouquet of roses. She was even wearing the exact red dress. Her other self would drop the bouquet and make a mad dash towards her. She would try to get the debris off her. Rose would see her sweating face that had turned red. She would see her blond hair swaying side to side as she threw pieces of burned wood to other direction. And most of all, she would see her crying eyes. Then the other Rose would reach out with her hand to help her, but that's when she would wake up.

Rose didn't understand why she had dreams from the point of view of her sister. It would drive her insane. Every night, she relives the day she hated the most, and every night, that nightmare would remind her that she had failed to save her sister.

But she also used her nightmares as motivation. It showed her the reason why she was doing what she was doing in the first place, why she can't just cry on the graves forever, and why she has to change. Rose tried to speed up the transformation, but it was hard and brutal. The first time she killed a person, she burst into tears, but the nightmare was there to help her get back up. Now, she can kill without hesitation.

So does she feel hesitation when she looks at the house that she plans to turn into a murder scene? Rose decided that she was nervous because she was looking to torture her victim instead of just killing her, but in the inside, she knew that she was still not ready. She was scared that she was never going to be ready, so she practiced over and over again. After practicing for a couple days, she would confront the house again. Then she would feel that hesitation again.

Today, she didn't want to wait to be ready any longer. It was time. Rose walked towards the door to vengeance. It was the door that she would wish she never entered.

[i]I hope it wasn't too short. This is just a very rough draft of a snippet on a story I'm working on.[/i]
[/spoiler]

Your Favorite Color: Blue
Your Preferred Title: The Wise
Your Status: Author + Reviewer

Accepting Saber's invite.

Your Excerpt: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/237610-yu-gi-oh-armageddon-pg13/
Your Favorite Color: Black
Your Preferred Title: The Dragonfire, Matt Bahamut
Your Status: Author & Reviewer http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/237610-yu-gi-oh-armageddon-pg13/

Thank you for having me. :)

Added you both, of course. Welcome aboard.

Twig, what you posted is excellent, fairly above the minimum requirements. What I meant by that was that you will have to post or link to a piece of writing by you, that shows that you are not completely ignorant of how writing works. But also, I'm confused - here, "Authors" are those who are currently writing active stories (preferably on this site) and need feedback on them, so that, for example, if you receive a thorough review by a Guild member, you know that he also has a story that needs reviewing and that it would be a good idea to return the favor. If you do have such a story, please put up the link to it so I can place it in the archives, otherwise I'm going to sign you up as a Reviewer for now.

Question for debate:

Started writing the 2nd arc of Armageddon, and I find myself in a bizarre situation. I have everything, literally almost everything, that will happen in this arc, and most of the third/final arc in my head. I have even scripted four of the duels (which I'm just finding easier now I'm not trying to overload each minor deck with cards to show off their theme/strategy). However...

major motivational issues in trying to actually write the bugger. Largely possibly because of the writing seems to put the rest of life on hold. Goodness knows how I'll be when I start getting regular working hours again next week.

Must make the time to read Spiritual Ruins.

I've noticed from my long and epic experience (yeah, I have that) that the more you plan ahead and just make certain that you have every little detail about the ending set in stone, the harder it is to actually get there. This always happens to me so, with Dead Zone, I'm writing more on a whim, following my writer's impulse and ideas rather than a strict schedule. If you are having motivational issues, talking about your story and its future with someone else and hearing his opinions is always a good way to get you in the groove. If you don't want to publicize spoilers, I'm always available for private discussion (and yes, I am up-to-date with both of your stories, I just need to get some time in my hands before I can review them properly, and I'm also a bit caught up in continuing my own).

I used to plot things out ahead of time, and while sometimes that works, I have a habit of making things play out slightly different in execution, sometimes due to on-the-spot inspiration or a more in-character idea. This new change can often drastically affect my plans. It has gotten to a point where I rarely plan things out at all, and never more than a chapter or two.

In terms of Yugioh fics, planning out duels is a bad idea. In RPs and stories, knowing play-by-plays or hell, even the OUTCOME, can lead to getting stuck, the former more than the latter.

Hmm, I might have to take you up on that offer (yeah you asked for it :) )

I like planning things out so that I can go back and add hints that recur along the way and that get revealed later. (There are currently two or three getting dropped in Arc Two, one about Juruo and his nightmares taking new twists, and one about Hikari and her 'fragile' state.) Or simply add things that I think need expanding or explaining better.

Don't think I could do the playing it chapter by chapter writing style.

Well, that's the curious thing. It may have just been luck, but as time went on, things just started "clicking". Something that seemed casual or minor when first mentioned became extremely relevent, or it paved the way to very important character discoveries. It wasn't that I planned it, it's just that things worked out to the point where it LOOKED like I planned it.

It's going to sound cheesy, but this 'natural' feeling comes... naturally, when you enjoy what you are writing. If you yourself [i]like[/i] your story, it all connects into your mind, and you can just keep writing and writing and everything flows in perfectly. If you lose interest, or just write out of boredom, or just plain out don't care and see writing as a chore - then it will be reflected in your writing. The most important advice I can give a writer is to enjoy what he is writing, at all times. And if he finds his interest is fading, there are always these little gimmicks that can focus your attention back where it is needed.

[b]Excerpt[/b]: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/238955-yugioh-cross-roads-new-episode-5-running-out-of-time-part-two-posted/page__view__findpost__p__5036853

[b]Favorite Color[/b]: Blue

[b]Title[/b]: Today's Champion

[b]Status[/b]: Author / Reviewer

[[b]Story[/b]: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/238955-yugioh-cross-roads-new-episode-5-running-out-of-time-part-two-posted/]

@evilfusion: That's a topic that takes a lot of discussion. A very simple technique to use is to get yourself into your characters' heads. When you're stuck and don't really feel like writing anything, put yourself in your main character's shoes. Think, "what do I really NOT want to happen to me right now? What would I do if it did happen?" And once you have your answers, sit down and write it! It will make things easier, I promise. Torturing another person, even a fictional character, is always fun, isn't it?

Alright, welcome to the group Star. Now that we have five whole (!) members, it's time to get the party going!

For now, we'll have an easy task: kick up the activity of the Fanfic section!

[spoiler=Challenge 1]
• In this challenge, the purpose is to increase the activity of the fanfic section. And that's basically done by making posts. Not just any posts, though. We need intelligent, relevant post that will promote the good stories and set them apart from the bad.

• So, our goal is, for this week: any number of good stories must receive replies. This includes, of course, the four stories featured in our Archives. You can check the links in the first post. But we will not limit it to them. If you find another good story, feel free to comment on it, and post it up here for others to see!

• And, how does this work? It's simple. You will receive points based on the posts you make, in the following manner:

> 5 points for a short review (1 or 2 small paragraphs). Minimum length should still be over 3 sentences. Sometimes all the writer needs is a few succinct words of encouragement, and if you don't have the time to make a long post, this challenge is just for you!

> 12 points for a lengthy review (3 to 5 paragraphs). If you take your time and provide criticism on numerous aspects of the chapter, your rewards will be greater.

> 20 points for a full review (over 7 paragraphs, spanning multiple chapters of the story). Needless to say, the time and effort you take to write out a full-fledged review will be greatly appreciated.

> Bonus 5 points: You will receive a small boon if you 'link' your story and review to another author. If you post a review on someone's story, and he also posts a review on yours, you both will earn 5 bonus points! The only limitation is that you both should be members of the guild to do so. Therefore, it pays off to return favors!

• At the end of the week, we'll tally up each participant's points and announce a winner. The winner's story (if he has one) will be featured in all the participants' signatures for one week!

• You should understand that, while commenting on stories that are not so good and desperately need improvement is a good thing, this is not the point of this contest. This guild is made for promoting good stories. Bad stories already get a lot of attention because of Foe Fiction spin-offs, but we need to give the good ones a chance to shine.
[/spoiler]

So go on, guys! Start reviewing, and make sure you put up a link to your review in this thread so I can award you with the appropriate points! I will be giving examples later today.

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1298799931' post='5037978']
Twig, what you posted is excellent, fairly above the minimum requirements. What I meant by that was that you will have to post or link to a piece of writing by you, that shows that you are not completely ignorant of how writing works. But also, I'm confused - here, "Authors" are those who are currently writing active stories (preferably on this site) and need feedback on them, so that, for example, if you receive a thorough review by a Guild member, you know that he also has a story that needs reviewing and that it would be a good idea to return the favor. If you do have such a story, please put up the link to it so I can place it in the archives, otherwise I'm going to sign you up as a Reviewer for now.
[/quote]

Oh, I get it...

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1298847885' post='5039547']
It's going to sound cheesy, but this 'natural' feeling comes... naturally, when you enjoy what you are writing. If you yourself [i]like[/i] your story, it all connects into your mind, and you can just keep writing and writing and everything flows in perfectly. If you lose interest, or just write out of boredom, or just plain out don't care and see writing as a chore - then it will be reflected in your writing. The most important advice I can give a writer is to enjoy what he is writing, at all times. And if he finds his interest is fading, there are always these little gimmicks that can focus your attention back where it is needed.
[/quote]

I find that this is actually true. I was writing a plot for a story, and I found myself generating ideas quickly since I was enjoying it.

I'll get to reviewing. =D

Sound advice, will give those techniques I bash.

I do like writing, it is just difficult to find time sometimes (new job as a night porter at a 4 star hotel starting 7th March will REALLY cut into my YCM time for a few weeks until I get into the routine).

Aye aye skipper, will start reviewing immediately.

Review of Dead Zone http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/232937-yu-gi-oh-dead-zone/page__st__120__gopid__5041453

Excellent mister Bahamut, excellent. For your exemplary contribution to our cause, you have been proudly awarded with 20 Points of Awesome, the very first points to be handed out by the Writer's Guild. I encourage you all (myself included) to follow this precedence and pimp up every good story out there with an equally magnificent review!

EDIT: After this 'contest' is over, I'll be gathering the best reviews for our Reviews Archive. Just a heads-up that that section won't be updated constantly, but rather on regular intervals.

Hmm, an interesting notion/challenge. I looked at Dead Zone, having its link closest by, but was instantly intimidated by 25 chapters and the fact they seem to be scattered throughout the thread, making it extremely tedious to read. So I'll go back to that. It's not going anywhere.

It's worth mentioning that I have an extremely fickle attention span.

[url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/238955-yugioh-cross-roads-new-episode-5-running-out-of-time-part-two-posted/page__view__findpost__p__5045616"]I came[/url].

[url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/229254-growing-praise-and-adulation/page__view__findpost__p__5045707"]I saw[/url].

[url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/232922-legacy-of-the-tormentor-the-dark-doorway/page__view__findpost__p__5045602"]I reviewed[/url].

[url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/237610-yu-gi-oh-armageddon-pg13/page__view__findpost__p__5045790"]And then I conquered[/url].

Four reviews in a day. Now, only story I have left is yours, evilfusion, which I will get to later. For the moment, I strongly recommend Umbra's LoT: tDD, which is an awesome read of an unusual variety. Well worth your time, especially if you can take a look at the original.

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1299065598' post='5045581']
Well. No more than a couple of chapters would fit in the first post (word limit is 10000ish, right?) >_>. The index is there. I can't find another way to make it easier to read, other than posting it on ff.net or something. Though I will consider making a website for it, once it's finished.
[/quote]

No idea. I have 9 chapters in my first post, and each chapter is at least 2000, some more throught 3000, and I know one exceeds four.

I read one story. Going on to review it soon.

Archived