Yu-gi-oh!: The Wanderer [Grande Finale]

Agro

I've just read your first two Chapters and they are quite fantastico, if my opinion is worth anything. I will continue to read your FF. I hope you continue it.

One thing though that I don't get:

“I’ll then set two cards and summon my ‘[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mystical_Space_Typhoon"]Mystical Space Typhoon[/url]’.” A little, green fur ball of a monkey leapt out of the hologram-projected card.

“In attack mode?” Everett stared at the stupid little 500 ATK lemur like it was a ‘Spirit Reaper’ someone targeted for ‘Rush Recklessly’.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='shelds9' timestamp='1327188323' post='5774814']
I've just read your first two Chapters and they are quite fantastico, if my opinion is worth anything. I will continue to read your FF. I hope you continue it.

One thing though that I don't get:

“I’ll then set two cards and summon my ‘[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mystical_Space_Typhoon"]Mystical Space Typhoon[/url]’.” A little, green fur ball of a monkey leapt out of the hologram-projected card.

“In attack mode?” Everett stared at the stupid little 500 ATK lemur like it was a ‘Spirit Reaper’ someone targeted for ‘Rush Recklessly’.
[/quote]Someone must be messing with me -_- People here are stupid. I'll have to fix that up. *sigh*

EDIT: Fixed -

[url="http://ycm.wikia.com/wiki/Slipstream_Lemur"]Slipstream Lemur[/url]

[quote name='- Sharpshooter -' timestamp='1327368170' post='5777950']
When can we expect Chapter 11?
[/quote]I'm close to finishing it, but it's been one of those chapters that jumps back and forth between characters. Personally I don't know how to feel about it because the time in between jumps feels like it should be longer :\ The day I can get past that, is the day the chapter will come out.

Hi Wraith, how are you doing?

Just finished reading the first 10 chapters and I loved it. I really like your writing and the characters.

Looking for chapter 11 and for seing other people dueling. I'm specially curious about Carina.

I also liked how you mix real life cards with fictional cards.

p.s. Sorry for any english mistakes, I'm Brazilian and don't speak english very well.

I've started reading this fanfic, and it has a nice everyday life feel to it, almost like Card Vanguard (apart from maybe the mysterious dueling injuries; I just started). I like how the duels combine real life and created cards. I try to do that too, but I get a little heavy on the CCG element. There was one part so far that irked me.

[quote]
“From my hand, I activate the quick-play spell: ‘[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shrink"][color="#1e4371"]Shrink[/color][/url]’, which will cut your monster’s ATK in half!” Some girls off to the side giggled as ‘Pelagic Wavemaster’ shrunk rather comically, its armor and clothing becoming far too large for it’s diminishing volume. “Now that his ATK is at only 1150, my ‘Colt’ can destroy him. Attack!”

The flaming black steed charged wildly at the half-pint spellcaster, and it would’ve gone through, if not for a trap.

“I activate ‘[url="http://ycm.wikia.com/wiki/Collapsing_Water_Pathway"][color="#1e4371"]Collapsing Water Pathway[/color][/url]’!” Leland pressed the button on his duel disk to activate his set trap, and from that card came waves of water, that formed two walls on the side of the field. “I can activate this card whenever my opponent attacks one of my ‘Pelagic’ monsters. With it, I can tribute my ‘Wavemaster’ to destroy all your attacking monsters and then both of us must discard every monster in our hand to the graveyard.[/quote]
This is from Chapter 2, during the middle of the duel between Everett and Leland. What bothered me was the fact that Everett didn't ask to enter the Damage Step before activating Shrink. If he had done that, Collapsing Water Pathway wouldn't be usable since only Speed Spell 2 cards that alter ATK/DEF, Quick Effects that negate, and Counter Traps can be activated during the Damage Step. I guess Everett isn't too well-versed in game mechanics yet.

Besides that, I'll reiterate what I said before about this fanfic being a nice contrast to the usual cliched save-the-world-with-a-children's-card-game-deal. If any supernatural elements are introduced later, I hope you pull it off tactly. Good luck with this fanfic.

First and foremost...

[color=#ff0000][size=8][b]CHAPTER 11 BUMP!!![/b][/size][/color]
[spoiler='Chapter 11'][b]Chapter 11[/b]

“Keep your head looking at the paper.”

Everett immediately did as told. Michael was very strict about these sorts of things. The first thing he’d told Rhett on the first day of actual lessons was that focus was the key in everything.

But lessons were hardly on Everett’s mind at the moment. It’d been two days since the ball and announcement that there would be a tournament, and the beginning of the open dueling portion of the tournament was going to begin today at 2:30.

Unfortunately for Everett, his cram lessons didn’t end until 3:30, so ever since the start of his lesson he’d been taking sneaking glances out the window to see if the festivities had started.

“I know you’re anxious to compete, Everett, so am I. But studies come first, and I’m getting paid to make sure you catch up so you can graduate.”

“I know.” Everett leaned back and looked at the current page of questions. “But this stuff isn’t really that tough.”

“Oh, stop whining or I’ll pull out theory of TeleD-.”

Michael was interrupted as the loudspeakers came on.

“Ladies and gentleman, the tournament has now begun. Please be mindful of students who are not partaking or are studying at this time, thank you.”

Michael clapped his hands together as the announcement faded away, “Oh, nice of them to remember us, that should help us along nicely.”

[i]BOOM! [/i]The sound could be heard across the campus, and looking outside, the origin was obvious.

“Who the hell?” Michael rushed over to the windows, looking out at the red flame that slowly fell in the afternoon air. “Who the hell’d shoot off a flare in the middle of?”

“Trying to lure people’s attention?”

Michael looked back at Everett. “Lure?”

“It’s an open duel phase, right? Anyone can duel anyone.” Everett tapped his pencil atop the desk. “If they need five wins and challenges can’t be denied, don’t you think someone’d try to get it all done first and foremost?”

“I guess that makes sense. But if they lose one, it’s over. Couldn’t something like that attract the best duelists rather than the worst ones?”

“Doubtful, I’d think the best duelists wouldn’t go after something silly like that. They’ll probably only be mediocre duelists looking for an easy win.”

“You really think people would fall for something as stupid as that?”

“Well, it got your attention, didn’t it? Bet someone goes and looks to see who fired it.”

Michael turned back to Everett, lowering his eyebrows in a disappointed look. “You seem like you’ve thought this through.”

Everett scratched the back of his head, “Oh, no. I don’t think I’d ever come up with something weird like that.”

“Huh,” Michael looked back over his shoulder at the now dying flare. “I wonder who did?”

Ryouta watched the fire of the flare finally die out and turned back to the contraption he was sitting over.

“How much longer?”

“Be patient, it’s not that easy to set these things up.”

“How hard is it? Just place it and light it.”

Sparks flew as the second flare lit up, causing Leland and Ryouta to jump for cover as it launched into the air.

“s***, Ryouta, watch it, that could’ve hit us.”

“Told you it wasn’t that easy.”

Leland ran his hand through his hair as he stood up, looking out at the tree lining.

“So, Ryo, want to make a bet on how long it’ll take for the first opponent to arrive?”

Ryouta was finishing checking the flare launcher for malfunctions. “That’d be pointless.”

“Why’s that?” Leland asked curiously.

Without answering Ryouta stood up and pointed over to the foliage to the left, where a slight movement betrayed the duelist trying to hide himself.

Leland grinned. “Come out, come out, wherever you are.”

“Alright, we’re done.”

Everett sighed. The session had gone a little bit longer than he’d expected and he hadn’t grown much of a nerve to argue with Michael about it.

Jadedly, he stood up and put his books together.

“Good luck in the tournament then, Everett. I hope to see you in the finals.”

Everett nodded, putting everything away in his bag and putting his duel disk onto his wrist.

“Wait, where are you going?” Everett questioned after he caught a glance of Michael, who was currently exiting the room on a rope hanging out the window.

“Take a look.” He answered motioning with his head towards the exit, where shadows of awaiting duelists bounced back and forth in the light that barely entered through the tinted glass that framed the door. “You might want to go this way if you don’t want to get mobbed.”

Everett stopped and looked back at the door one last time before briskly following.

“So,” Michael started as he set foot on the ground two floors below, “Where do you plan on starting?”

“Huh?”

Everett was trying to focus on climbing down, something he couldn’t maintain as he was attempting to respond, inevitably causing him to end up falling the last story and landing flat on his ass.

“Well, I was just planning on finding Leel.” Everett finally answered as he stood up achingly.

“Uh, him.” Michael set his duel disk on his back as the two started off away from the building. “By the way, how did you two even meet?”

“Me and Leel? Oh, well, I’ve known Leel since we were kids.”

“He always been such a troublemaker?”

“Troublemaker?” Everett thought about it as he scanned the surrounding terrain for any sign of an ambush. “You know, I don’t think I can even call him that.”

“Oh really?”

“No, I wouldn’t say he’s a troublemaker. I’d say he ran into trouble more than most people.” Michael and Everett exchanged an awkward glance. “I assume that’s still the same?”

“Yes, but I can’t say that it’s all attributed to luck. He’s very self-destructive. If only he had half the same sort of self control that his sister has.”

Everett sighed and adjusted his bag. “You know, I think he tries.”

“Does he now?”

“Well, have you ever met his father?”

Michael shook his head, no.

“Well, he’s one strict, tight old man. I can understand how he can get a little wild once in a while considering how much time he had to spend under his father’s thumb.”

“So what? Because his father was a stickler for the rules, he shouldn’t be punished for not following them? My father was the same way, doesn’t mean I’m gonna go wild.”

“Well, no, but let me ask: Do you have a mother?”

A spark of realization spread over Michael’s face.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know…”

“Don’t apologize, least of all to me.” Everett put his hands behind his head as the two came to a halt at a crossroads. “It’s just something you should think about when it comes to Leland.”

“I will.” Michael looked out over the road Everett was leaning towards, another flare falling low over the tree line. Chuckling, he finally looked back to Everett. “I assume that’s him?”

“Yeah, probably.” Everett laughed. “Well I guess I’ll see you around.”

“I suppose so.”

“How many more we need?” Leland questioned Ryouta who was setting up another flare.

“Two for you, and three or four for me.”

“Alright, almost there.” Leland held up a Nerf gun he’d been using to nail anyone who came by, pelting them till he could get close enough to challenge them. He looked over the surroundings over the tip of the barrel, swinging it back and forth. “C’mon out now.”

A slight rustle in the bushes caught his attention.

“Gotcha!” Leland chuckled as he heard the ‘bullet’ hit. “Now come on out, it’s time for you to duel.”

The figure stood up from his hiding spot, glaring at Leland. “What the hell was that?”

Leland gasped and stumbled back a few steps. “Silvie?!”

Sylvia picked up the bullet. “Who goes shooting people and then immediately goes and tries to force them to duel?”

“Um, well.” Leland tripped over himself and fell down onto the as Sylvia stepped up to him. “We needed to get some-.”

“I don’t care if you were trying to catch a snipe! You shot me with a Nerf gun.”

Leland put his hands up. “Hey, at least it was only a nerf g-.”

“Stop trying to make yourself seem so innocent. I don’t know why I even bother with you, I mean- will you cut that out, Ryouta!?”

Ryouta looked over to Sylvia just as another flare lit up the evening sky.

“My bad.” Ryouta rolled his hand in the air. “Continue.”

Sylvia glared again at Ryo before looking down at a freshly flattened, yet empty patch of grass.

“Leland, get back here!” She yelled after the boy who was already a few yards away from the clearing

“Not a chance!”

“Oh, you ass!” She called, chasing after him.

Ryouta chuckled as he set up the next flare. In the past twenty-four hours he’d made hundreds off of those two, but silence and work soon fell to curiosity as he heard a laugh join his.

“Huh, they really [i]do[/i] act like that all the time, huh?”

Ryouta quickly jumped, duel disk in hand, to face the newcomer. “Oh, it’s you.”

Everett smiled awkwardly. However long it’d been since their duel, and since they’d ‘made up’, interactions between the two were still a bit awkward. And while both understood that Ryouta was just trying to find a scapegoat for a duel that had been his brother’s first and since only chance at winning a title, Ryouta was a bit nervous around Everett, not all to sure whether he’d stirred up bad feelings between each other.

Everett wouldn’t have any of that. “So I assume you two have been at this since they started?”

“Yeah…” Ryouta tried to focus on the next flare, “I’ve already got 2 wins, Leland only needs like one more… I assume you haven’t started yet?”

“Naw, just got out.” Everett looked around at the foliage; there wasn’t anyone around. As he scanned his eyes drew to the duel disk Ryouta had set behind him as he worked. Innocently, he picked up the deck it carried to take a look. “I assume you’re still running with those Slipstream monsters?”

“Huh?” Ryouta, only willing to give up a small bit of attention, cocked his head to one side. “Wait…”

“Oh, wait a minute…” Everett stopped as he came on a part of the deck that looked unfamiliar to him. “Wow, Leland, this is like a whole other deck!”

“Give me that!” Ryouta jumped up, surprising Everett, and snatched the deck back.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I should have asked.”

“No, it’s fine…” Ryouta placed his deck back into the duel disk. “I’ve gotten a bit protective of some of the cards I have, my brother…” Ryouta paused, wondering whether or not to mention his brother again, given the context, “…he sent me them, they’re some really cool cards, a few of them are used by pros too.”

“Wow, that’s really cool.” Everett wondered which of the cards he’d seen were what Ryouta was referring to. “You’re brother was really something, amazing how he…”

Everett stopped himself before he said something that’d ruin their conversation. Though the more outgoing one of the two, Everett had been very cautious about what he’d talk about with Ryouta, especially that which concerned his brother. So as Leland went back to the flare, he decided a change of topic was in order.

“So has the flare worked well in luring duelists?”

“Well, it worked better at first.” Another flare shot into the sky. “But we haven’t gotten anyone for the last few, so maybe I should give up and look elsewhere.”

“Give up?” Everett chuckled. “Leland told me you weren’t the kind of guy to give up on a plan so easily!”

“Well, it’s less that… and more that I’m out of flares…”

Everett smiled, one that Ryouta couldn’t help but return, if only for a minute or so.

“Why don’t you go ahead and look around? Being in groups like this, Leland and I began to realize that you hardly run into anyone, and if you do, they’ll notice the numbers and stay away.”

Everett looked back from another scan of the area and contemplated what Ryouta’d suggested. “I guess that makes sense.”

Everett moved away as Leland started to pack up the supplies he’d brought with them.

“Oh, and Everett!”

“Yeah?”

“There’s a group on campus that acts kind of like hall monitors, well in this case, they’re more like a security club.” Ryouta looked up from his work, giving his full attention to Everett. “They all actually work under Teodoro Souza, even if he isn’t a part of their organization, since the senior members respect and fear him. We’ve run into a few already, and well, most were asking where you were.”

“Oh, really?”

Ryouta nodded, “Just wanted to let you know that they’re probably be gunning for you. So, you know, good luck and all.”

“I’ll keep it in mind.” Everett grinned. “Thanks Ryouta, I’ll see you in the finals then.”

Ryouta nodded as Everett walked off. [i]Finally some peace and quiet[/i], he thought to himself.

The cool air from the evening breeze slid over his hands as he began putting away the flare launcher. It was calming. So was the sound of the wind whistling on the leaves and rolling in the grass, but there was another sound… one of legs moving through the underbrush.

Nimbly, Ryouta launched himself to his feet, duel disk in hand to face the possible challenger.

“Another one of you? What, you looking for Everett too?”

The boy in the dark blue school uniform, signifying him as not only a member of Obelisk-Blue but also as a security club member brushed the blonde hair that must have been rustled in the bushes.

Ryouta scowled at the boy. Most of the Security Club’s members were like this. Too damn prim and proper. “I can tell you he’s not here.”

“Oh, please, I could have beaten him five minutes ago if I wanted to.”

And there was the obnoxious, sarcastic tone.

“I just wanted to warm up a bit, you know? I haven’t dueled any lowlife scum at all today! I thought maybe the underachieving, ITO Ryouta would be the perfect way to start.”

Ryouta smirked. The guy’s name was Isaac Richardson, one of a pair of twins that had gotten into Blue on their families reputation alone. Dueling skill: probably second rate. He wanted to beat the s*** outta him, and this tournament was offering him the perfect opportunity.

“So, wanna duel?”

Isaac grinned, “If that’s what you want to call a training exercise, then go ahead.”

Ryouta grew a grin to match Isaac’s. This was gonna be fun.[/spoiler]

[quote name='- Sharpshooter -' timestamp='1327368170' post='5777950']
When can we expect Chapter 11?
[/quote]Hey Staaaarrrrr... le new chapter bump :3
[quote name='Rokandre' timestamp='1327673537' post='5783637']
Hi Wraith, how are you doing?

Just finished reading the first 10 chapters and I loved it. I really like your writing and the characters.

Looking for chapter 11 and for seing other people dueling. I'm specially curious about Carina.

I also liked how you mix real life cards with fictional cards.

p.s. Sorry for any english mistakes, I'm Brazilian and don't speak english very well.
[/quote]You're English is actually phenomenal, thanks for reading. I'm sorry to say there's no duel in chapter 11, and that it's a somewhat short one. I've mainly used this one for character development. But rest assured (especially after you read chapter 11) that you'll see other people duel. Starting in chapter 12. As for the cards. I've been thinking back and forth about people's cards and whether I should or shouldn't use created ones. But luckily I decided to stick with it, so I won't have to make changes! So thanks for telling me that that was the right call! Please keep reading and comment when you can, it really is my main motivation... well that and getting a story out.
[quote name='AsianGuy1137' timestamp='1327782858' post='5785935']
I've started reading this fanfic, and it has a nice everyday life feel to it, almost like Card Vanguard (apart from maybe the mysterious dueling injuries; I just started). I like how the duels combine real life and created cards. I try to do that too, but I get a little heavy on the CCG element. There was one part so far that irked me.

This is from Chapter 2, during the middle of the duel between Everett and Leland. What bothered me was the fact that Everett didn't ask to enter the Damage Step before activating Shrink. If he had done that, Collapsing Water Pathway wouldn't be usable since only Speed Spell 2 cards that alter ATK/DEF, Quick Effects that negate, and Counter Traps can be activated during the Damage Step. I guess Everett isn't too well-versed in game mechanics yet.

Besides that, I'll reiterate what I said before about this fanfic being a nice contrast to the usual cliched save-the-world-with-a-children's-card-game-deal. If any supernatural elements are introduced later, I hope you pull it off tactly. Good luck with this fanfic.
[/quote]Yeah, I wrote that, maybe a little bit lackadaisically, keeping in mind that Everett was rusty and overall completely off for the majority of that duel, so it makes a bit more sense to see him make mistakes like that. That being said, Leland would probably have used Pathway anyway, seeing that Everett probably had something planned.

And I hope I will if they show up as well o: Thanks for reading!

Just read 11, and loved. I really liked the motivations you gave for Lel's behavior. His actually my favorite character so far.

I get very hooked in you writing style, so plz keep the good working.

And about the cards, I don't like fanfics that uses only real cards, you don't get any surprises. But when you mix them with created cards I think it gets fantastic.

Can't wait for 12 and to see some duel. I love tournaments stories.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Well, I know you're anxiously awaiting this, and I did have a few minutes before class, so I decided to sit down and read Chapter 11, which I thought was really good. For the sake of getting my points across, I've constructed a bulleted list with my thoughts on the episode, in no particular order:[/font]
[list]
[*][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ryouta's character might come across as appealing to some, but he's one of the few in the story I actually find boring. Maybe it's because his dialogue feels way too forced, like the character you're trying to drive home is [i]that[/i] character and I get it, but I feel like it comes across as trying too hard. If he wasn't so much so the stereotype that it's evident he is, he might be more enjoyable.[/font]
[*]Michael's an interesting one, though. We don't know too much about him yet, but I like him as a character and the fact that he's only included in smaller, simpler bits for now makes him much more interesting. I'm intrigued to see where you go with that, if you go anywhere at all.
[/list][list]
[*]Can't complain about tournaments, which are always nice. Though this definitely screams [i]Genex Tournament 2.0[/i], the first one was enjoyable in the actual GX Series to which this Fic has plenty of available comparisons, the original was good, and I have no doubt you can make this one interesting too, as long as you don't go ahead and make the duel drag as bad as Everett vs Ryouta [b]I[/b] did.
[*]I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't, because it goes against every rule of Fan Fiction writing and reading I've ever seen in my life, but Everett's character is awesome. Is he somewhat generic? Sure. But I don't care. When I'm reading it, I find his character's personality to be awesome, in the sense that he definitely cares about his friends, but he's also not into the silly antics that they are. It makes for a really fun dynamic that really animates the Chapters more. What I want to see, really, is Everett actually lose, because I think that a loss would allow plenty of character development that might be really interesting to follow.
[*]Still think the story's great, though. With 24, this, and hopefully Legacy picking back up on top of some other stories I'm sure are active as well, maybe we can get the Creative Writing section moving again. Looking forward to Chapter 12, see you in three years!
[/list]

• 3 weeks later...

Finished reading through 11, and now I'm finally getting around to commenting. This kept me hooked, I have to say. I also agree with pretty much everyone that the first few chapters weren't as good as some of the latter ones, but after a while, it was a good read. I seriously can't wait for Chapter 12, with the tournament and all, so I can see other people dueling.

That's great to hear! I've read through all the chapters. They're still short and simple, and the duels flow well while also maintaining that manga/anime intensity without using scrub decks. I like Everett's archetype. The mechanic seems pretty splashable with lightsworns. I'm also pretty pumped to find out what Ryouta's new cards are like.

If you don't mind me asking - how do you decide on what cards to use, and do you custom make your own cards?

I usually start out basing on where I want the duel to go. After that I think of how to get there and what cards, real or created, will get the duel to that point. I tend not to make a card as I'm writing, so that's why there's never really a perfect OPed card that works in the situation to perfection, I have to work around it and use it as if it's a CC that's been in the real game.

Yup guys, I've planned out the full duel and will finish the chapter today! 8D

[quote name='AsianGuy1137' timestamp='1330239462' post='5841515']
Oh noes! The day has passed for me. I r disappoint, but I also don't want to rush anyone. So um, in conclusion, ignore this post, good luck with the story, and have a nice day.
[/quote]I told you I'd finish it Saturday, not post it. Wait for it, I have editing and s*** to do too.

Archived