Yu-gi-oh!: The Wanderer [Grande Finale]

Agro

Hopefully this stays in the last post... in either case:
[color=#ff0000][size=8][b]LE NEW CHAPTER BUMP![/b][/size][/color]

[spoiler='Chapter 12']He’d done it ever since he was little. Who else would have thought that a child that seemed so respectful to adults would have such sinister intentions when competing against children his own age.

It’s because Isaac Richardson grew up as the second youngest in a family of four children. Hardly any attention could ever be given. His birthday was a day after his elder brother, so their family just ended up doing both birthdays on the same day. He resented the idea as early as he could remember.

One year they forgot to remember him when signing ‘happy birthday’. Boy did he take that well. But ever did he voice his opinion? Not for a long time after.

When his little sister was born, his mother noted his jealousy at the attention she was getting and told him a lesson he held in mind for the next ten years of his life: “There’s no need to be so jealous at someone else for getting attention. It’s childish.” Not surprising that it was that statement that guided most of his life. Nothing a child wants more than to not be childish.

So instead of voicing his concerns, he’d always held them in, and for this reason, all he could ever remember from his childhood was how little respect and attention he got compared to his siblings. Eventually he got sick of it and found the best way to put himself up above the roar: kicking the rest beneath it.

And that’s how he got into Duel Monsters. What easier way to take out your rage and put someone down than to beat someone in a trivial game? His parents said not to get jealous when you lose, but never said not to gloat when you win. And did he find some joy in gloating.

“If you duel as slowly as you set up, this duel may take a millennia.” Isaac tapped his finger on his crossed arm in impatience. “So are you going to start or what?”

“You know telling people to do something makes them less likely to.” Ryouta drew the card anyway, to a snicker from the opposing side.

“Oh, look what we have here. Better get things rolling, I activate [b]Air[/b] [b]Flow[/b]!” The liquid representing an air current that had been so dominant in his match against Everett flowed from the Spell Card and wrapped its way around the field.

[spoiler='Air Flow']Air Flow
Spell / Continuous
If the turn player does not draw a card during their Draw Phase or if the turn player's Draw Phase is skipped, that player must send the top 3 cards of their deck to the Graveyard. At the End Phase of each turn: The turn player must target 1 card they control; send it to the Graveyard. If a card is not sent to the Graveyard by this effect, that player discards their entire hand to the Graveyard. At the end of the fourth turn after this card's activation, add this card to the deck and Shuffle it. The effect of this card to return this card to the Deck cannot be negated. [/spoiler]

“Oh, the symbol of instability! Probably matches its user, doesn’t it?” Ryouta ignored the trash talk.

“I’ll then normal summon [b]Slipstream Warrior[/b], set two spell or trap cards and end my turn.” The stream overtook Ryouta’s side of the field and encapsulated the Warrior. “And of course, in the End Phase, I must send one card to the Graveyard, and so I send my Warrior. Your move.”

[spoiler='Slipstream Warrior']Slipstream Warrior
Level 4 / WIND
[ Beast-Warrior / Effect ]
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard by the effect of "Air Flow", skip your Opponent's next Draw Phase. If this effect is activated, your Opponent may draw 2 cards during their next Standby Phase.
ATK: 1700 / DEF: 1500[/spoiler]

“Of course!” Isaac took the top three cards of his deck- Dark Grepher, Pot of Avarice, and Foolish Burial- and placed them in the Graveyard then proceeding to draw two more, apparently knowledgeable about ‘Slipstream Warrior’s effect. “You know… I think I’d like to see what you’re made of. You know I didn’t go on that trip to the mainland so I haven’t actually seen you duel before. Maybe you’ll surprise me. I set three cards and a monster and pass.”

“Don’t forget ‘Air Flow’.” Ryouta cautioned.

“Of course. I will send my monster.” He motioned gingerly.

“I don’t think so.” Ryouta pulled out a card in his hand and revealed it. “I activated the effects of [b]Slipstream Berserker[/b].”

[spoiler='Slipstream Berserker']Slipstream Berserker
Level 5 / WIND
[ Beast-Warrior / Effect ]
When a card is selected to be sent from the field to the Graveyard by the effects of "Air Flow", you may Special Summon this card from your hand to banish the selected card instead.
ATK: 2200 / DEF: 1300[/spoiler]

“Oh good, I was hoping I’d get to see that today. I banish my monster and you Special Summon it, correct?”

Ryouta nodded, looking at the card that was banished. “[b]Infernity Archfiend?![/b] But that means!”

[spoiler='Infernity Archfiend']Infernity Archfiend
DARK / Level 4
[ Fiend / Effect ]
When you have no cards in your hand and draw this card, you can reveal it to Special Summon it. When this card is Special Summoned, if you have no cards in your hand, you can add 1 "Infernity" card from your Deck to your hand.
ATK / 1800 DEF / 1200[/spoiler]

“I believe I send my entire hand to the Graveyard now, correct?” Isaac grinned in maleficence. “Looks like you’ve done my job for me!”

Ryouta cringed as Isaac sent his hand- [b]Infernity Avenger[/b], [b]Infernity Mirage[/b], and [b]Dark Hole[/b]- to the Graveyard, knowing that without a hand, his monsters devastating effects would all become active. But still, he had his turn to play, and he had just started it out by Special Summoning a 2200 ATK beat-stick.

“I’ll draw!” Ryouta cringed; he’d just missed it. “I normal summon [b]Reborn Tengu[/b]!”

[spoiler='Reborn Tengu']Reborn Tengu
WIND / Level 4
[ Beast Warrior / Effect ]
When this card is removed from the field: Special Summon 1 "Reborn Tengu" from your Deck.
ATK / 1700 DEF / 600[/spoiler]

The twin-sword-carrying birdman leapt out onto the field. With 1700 ATK, he was 100 short of ending the duel then and there.

“I’ll attack with both of my monsters directly!” He called to his opponent as the monsters rushed forward.

Isaac did not move, apparently fine in taking the damage; even going so far as to be grinning after the monsters retreated.

“What’s with that look on your face?” Ryouta questioned him, confused.

“Trying to finish me out in a single blow, huh?” He chuckled. “It’ll take more than that.”

[i]Yeah, about 100 more[/i], Ryouta thought. “Anyway, I’ll send ‘Reborn Tengu’ to the Graveyard for the effect of ‘Air Flow’.”

“What were the words you used before? ‘I don’t think so?’” Isaac revealed his set card. “I activate [b]Safe Zone[/b], targeting your ‘Reborn Tengu’.”

[spoiler='Safe Zone']Safe Zone
Trap / Continuous
Activate by selecting 1 face-up Attack Position monster. That monster cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects, or be destroyed by battle. It cannot attack your opponent directly. When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster. When that monster is removed from the field, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

“F*ck.”

“With this card, your monster cannot be targeted by card effects, so it seems like your ‘Air Flow’ will resolve without sending a card.” Isaac smirked. “So I guess I’ve just returned the favor.”

Ryouta responded without comment, placing his remaining card, a [b]Maxx “C”[/b] in the Graveyard.

“Oh and just to make sure you don’t have anything else planned, I will activate my [b]Mystical Space Typhoon[/b] here, destroying the set card on my right!” Isaac chuckled as the gust of win revealed and released the set [b]Torrential Tribute[/b].

Ryouta set himself in a snide expression at the laugh. “You seem to be very upbeat for someone on their last 100 Life Points.”

“Well that’s because I’ve been in this situation many times already. Just because you have more field presence than I do now doesn’t mean you’ve won. After all, your deck is based around the wind, isn’t it? Ever changing? The chances of you maintaining that field presence is minimal enough to… laugh at.”

Isaac drew his card to begin his turn.

“And let me show you why! I normal summon [b]Tour Guide from the Underworld[/b]!”

[spoiler='Tour Guide from the Underworld']Tour Guide from the Underworld
DARK / Level 3
[ Fiend / Effect ]
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 Level 3 Fiend-Type monster from your hand or Deck. Its effects are negated, and it cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.
ATK / 1000 DEF / 600[/spoiler]

Ryouta didn’t look to scared of the loli tour guide. It was a card that had much more use in the US than it did in Japan, he’d heard enough about it to know what it was, but not enough to know what it might do.

“With her effect, I’m allowed to Special Summon one Level three or lower Fiend-Type monster from my Deck or hand. So I’ll Special Summon [b]Infernity Necromancer[/b]!”

Ryouta tried to think it through. He could use ‘Infernity Necromancer’ to Special Summon the Avenger in his graveyard, but then again the Tour Guide didn’t allow for it’s passenger to be used as Synchro material… wait a second. Ryouta remembered what his brother had told him about this card.

‘Tour Guide’ was infamous in the US, not for Synchro spamming, but for… “No way he has…”

“I overlay both of my monsters!” Issac’s eyes lit up at the same time Ryouta’s fell into despair. “From the depths of the unchanging oceans, I Xyz Summon [b]Leviair the Sea Dragon[/b]!”

[spoiler='Leviair the Sea Dragon']Leviair the Sea Dragon
WIND / Rank 3
[ Sea Serpent / Xyz / Effect ]
2 Level 3 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 banished Level 4 or lower monster; Special Summon that target to your side of the field.
ATK / 1800 DEF / 1600[/spoiler]

The sea serpent arose from its card’s hologram, carrying with it its own liquids- these actually being a liquid apparently, its two overlay units floating in space around it.

“So what now?”

“Now I activate my monsters ability, by detaching one of its Xyz Materials, I can Special Summon one of my banished monsters!”

“Oh sh*t!” Ryouta muttered as the dragon motioned its head and one of its overlay units sped off towards Isaac’s banished pile, then returning and reforming itself into ‘Infernity Archfiend’.

“Now, because you were so kind to eliminate my hand, I activate the effect of my Archfiend, allowing me to add [b]Infernity Launcher[/b], from my Deck to my hand!” He did so, then activated. “Now by using the ability of my Launcher, I can send it to the Grave in order to Special Summon two Infernity monsters from the Grave. So I Special Summon ‘Infernity Necromancer’ and ‘Infernity Avenger’!”

[spoiler='Infernity Launcher']Infernity Launcher
Spell / Continuous
Once per turn, you can send 1 "Infernity" monster from your hand to the Graveyard. If there are no cards in your hand, you can send this card to the Graveyard to select up to 2 "Infernity" monster(s) in your Graveyard and Special Summon them.[/spoiler]

His grin was starting to get on Ryoutas nerves, in more than one way. “You done yet?”

“Not just yet. See now I have three monsters equaling a total of eight levels between them… and it just so happens that ‘Infernity Avenger’ is a tuner monster!”

“Well that’s just awesome…”

“From the depths of hell, I Synchro Summon the one and only almighty [b]Void Ogre Dragon[/b]!”

[spoiler='Void Ogre Dragon']Void Ogre Dragon
DARK / Level 8
[ Dragon / Synchro / Effect ]
1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, when your opponent activates a Spell or Trap Card and you have no cards in your hand: You can negate the activation of that card and destroy it.
ATK / 3000 DEF / 3000[/spoiler]

A dark smog appeared covering the field, moving in a spiral pattern, and from the center arose the crimson beast.

“Well isn’t this just dandy?” Ryouta really wanted to laugh. If he hadn’t gotten so good at poker, he probably would have too.

“Now, it seems that I overpower you.”

Ryouta cringed.

“’Void Ogre Dragon’, attack his Berserker!” The dragon spiraled in flight around its master before charging straight for Ryouta.

“Sorry to inform you, Isaac, but I activate my set trap card! [b]Mirror Force[/b]!”

[spoiler='Mirror Force']Mirror Force
Trap
When an opponent's monster declares an attack: Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

“Sorry to inform me? It appears you don’t know my dragon’s ability!” The Dragon’s claws became cloaked in shadows, and as the mirror shield appeared, it lunged forward and broke straight through, destroying the shield and Ryouta’s monster. “You see as long as there are no cards in my hand, once per turn, my dragon can negate one of your Spell or Trap cards.”

[i]Damnit, Ryouta. Stop skipping class with Leland[/i].

“Now I activate my set trap card [b]Royal Decree[/b]. With this on the field, my Safe Zone no longer affects your Tengu, meaning my Leviair can destroy it! Go my beast!” Without fear of any responses, the serpent smashed through the birdman, dropping Ryouta’s life points down to 3100.

[spoiler='Royal Decree']Royal Decree
Trap / Continuous
Negate the effects of all other Trap Cards on the field.[/spoiler]

Ryouta searched his Deck. “Because my Tengu left the field, I can summon another one from my Deck.”

Isaac laughed. “Not like it matters. Your monster is about as pathetic as you’ve proven to be. But I guess that’s only to be expected, coming from a guy that gets his dueling lessons from some no good older brother.”

“Excuse me?” Ryouta had been doing his best to ignore Isaac’s comments up until then, but this one crossed the line. “My brother’s a better duelist than you’ll ever be, don’t you dare badmouth him!”

“Pft, that loser? My brother beat him when they attended school here, and my brother is a total loser. What can you possibly learn from a sibling, they’re just there to hold you down anyway.”

“Hold down? What are you talking about? Siblings are supposed to support each other!”

Isaac scoffed. “What would give you such a stupid idea? Look at your deck! Your brother probably helped you make it, didn’t he?”

Ryouta couldn’t say no to that… “So?”

“So, it’s too fluid to maintain any structure! What help is a brother who can’t build any consistency into a deck?” Isaac chuckled, seeing the look of frustration on Ryouta’s face. “Anyway, I send my ‘Royal Decree’ to the Graveyard for your ‘Air Flow’s effect, now please return it to your Deck and start your turn so I can win this duel already?”

Ryouta, though wanting to be as defiant as possible with him, did as told. Letting out a long sigh, he put two fingers on the deck and pulled out what would surely be his final card.

“Hey Issac.” Ryouta’s opponent looked on with a curious, but an assuredly calm stare. “You know my brother got me cards to put in this deck. He may not have a lot of money to do it, so he may not have been able to get this deck everything it needs, but don’t you ever dare insult him!”

Isaac smiled grimly, “Sounds like a final plea. Too bad I won’t quiet myself when I tell the truth. Why don’t you just end this duel and you show me what these pathetic cards are that your brother gave you?”

“How about I show you now?” Ryouta played down his last card. “I Normal Summon ‘Slipstream Warrior’.”

“That’s it? You know you’ve already played that card, right?” He cackled. “Maybe you’re just delirious?”

“Isaac, shut up for once and listen.” He did, though the look on his face was that of annoyance, not nervousness. “Did you know that you’re not the only student who owns an Xyz monster? And it just so happens that both of my monsters are level 4!”

“No, it can’t be!” And there was the nervous tone that Ryouta was looking for.

“I overlay my ‘Reborn Tengu’ with my ‘Slipstream Warrior’!” Ryouta raised his hand into the air as a barrier of clouds circled overhead, from the center a ray of light shot down and a figure began to descend. “I Xyz Summon [b]Mirici the Skylord[/b]!”

[spoiler='Mirici the Skylord']Marici the Skylord
WIND / Rank 4
[ Fairy / Xyz / Effect ]
2 Level 4 WIND monsters
During either player's turn: You can detach 1 of this card's Xyz Materials; negate the Effects of "Air Flow" until the End Phase. Once per turn: You can banish 1 WIND monster in your Graveyard; Destroy 1 face-up card on the Field and Increase this cards ATK by 500. If there are no materials attached to this card, you cannot activate this effect. (The ATK increase remains.)
ATK / 1400 DEF / 2100[/spoiler]

The creature looked like an angel out of an old fairy tale, clothed in ancient roman robes and wearing blue-tinted armor.

“So what now? That thing’s ATK is still only 1400. It can’t overpower either of my monsters!”

“How wrong you are. See I activate my monster’s ability! By banishing a WIND Attribute monster in my Graveyard, I can destroy one face-up card you control and increase my monster’s ATK by 500!” Ryouta removed one of the Tengu’s from his Graveyard and showed it to Isaac. “Say goodbye to your Dragon!”

Mirici lifted his sword and the winds began to pick up, encircling the sword and howled as it came crashing down on the ground, spinning ever faster as they rushed towards the dragon and enveloped it, slicing it into pieces.

“And now Mirici has more attack than your Leviair. And coincidentally… just enough to take you out.”

“Oh, no!” Isaac stumbled back a step.

“Take this as a final lesson, Richardson.” Mirici lunged at Leviair. “[i]Never[/i] insult my brother!”

The sword came down on the dragon and sliced it clean through, finally dropping Isaac’s life points to zero.

“I lost…” Isaac mumbled in amazement.

“Yeah, you did, you no good, son of a b*tch. Now give me your entry card to prove I beat you.” Ryouta started walking towards him, only to stop as another security club member entered the foray from the side.

The newcomer walked up to Isaac. “What are you moping around for, we got work to do. I got the bag already so we…”

The last few words were lost on Ryouta as he heard ‘bag’. Looking down he saw that the bag he’d been storing the entry cards in was gone, and that bag was currently fleeing the scene with the two duelists in which he had just been facing.

“Hey, get back here, you thieves!”[/spoiler]

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw Reborn Tengu... I remember the days when its effect still activated even if it was detached as Xyz Material in the TCG. It's a shame it'll be semi'd next format. And then Infernities... well, not exactly what I expected but still interesting to see it matched up against Air Flow. Although that Isaac guy did make some severe misplays with them (unless he didn't have Hundred Eyes Dragon in his Extra) as bringing out HED could've allowed him to combo with Mirage in grave and later Necro/Archfiend to get 2 additional cards, namely Infernity Barrier/Spark. If he had been playing DW... oh boy.

Are you planning on using a lot more TCG/OCG decks? It seems like they seemed quite OP'd in a match-up against the custom cards you're using so far. Isaac's comment about how Ryouta's deck seemed kinda like a random mash of cards without much synergy kind of sums up my opinion. Comboing with Air Flow is really hard/inconsistent if you're playing against solid tier 2+ decks that can spam like crazy and pull off OTKs (especially since duels are only 4000 LP). Slipstream Warrior's average stats and vanilla-like effect, which is really a +1 for opp and -1 temporary field advantage, doesn't help either. Berserker's likely to be a dead draw half the time and not even in hand the other half, but being a fanfic, I guess bending the rules of probability isn't that big of a deal. Besides that, the duel was solid.

Although I personally prefer longer chapters that can get the plot moving faster, I think the pace of your chapters and plot progression is appropriate for stories that don't seem to be looser with plot and focus more on the duels themselves. Are you planning on keeping the length about the same the whole way through?

The length of each chapter is about 7-8 pages on Word. 10 sometimes, so even then, I wouldn't necessarily call it 'short'.

Also, I didn't use Hundred-Eyes dragon since this one tends to stick a little more to the real plotline. In other words, Hundred-Eyes is a Dark Synchro and he would not have it.

I actually thought it was really well done. Of course, you build up a ton of anticipation with the amount of time you take between posting chapters, so that's actually saying a bit. It looks like the plot's actually going somewhere, which is nice as well. You seem to be taking a similar approach as I have with Hidden Legacy in spending a bunch of time building up questions, and then slowly work towards answers. (At least it looks like that.)

Another solid chapter.

That said, Ryouta's Deck is confusing; I didn't understand why Isaac milled twice during the same turn, when 'Air Flow' would seem to imply he'd only have to do it once.

[quote name='ɢαlαхy' timestamp='1330382616' post='5844783']
That said, Ryouta's Deck is confusing; I didn't understand why Isaac milled twice during the same turn, when 'Air Flow' would seem to imply he'd only have to do it once.
[/quote]He did not. He milled 3 cards once at the start of his turn, and then at the end phase, because he didn't send a card for air flow, he had to send his whole hand to the graveyard. Or did I miss something?

[quote name='Aggro' timestamp='1330387621' post='5845030']
He did not. He milled 3 cards once at the start of his turn, and then at the end phase, because he didn't send a card for air flow, he had to send his whole hand to the graveyard. Or did I miss something?
[/quote]

Oh, okay. You're right then. Do they both mill, then, because a monster wasn't sent? I was a little bit confused on that.

[quote name='Aggro' timestamp='1330387621' post='5845030']
He did not. He milled 3 cards once at the start of his turn, and then at the end phase, because he didn't send a card for air flow, he had to send his whole hand to the graveyard. Or did I miss something?
[/quote]

Oh, okay. You're right then. Do they both mill, then, because a monster wasn't sent? I was a little bit confused on that.

[quote name='ɢαlαхy' timestamp='1330392450' post='5845299']
[/quote]No, only the turn player.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1330393731' post='5845361']
Alright, just finished Chapter 12. It was a good one, but left me wondering where Everett was, what he was doing, etc. Still, this does improve my liking for Ryouta and his deck.
[/quote]>People ask to see others duel
> When I have others duel Everett HAS to be around.

.-.

Everett's in the next chapter, whether he duels or not, I haven't decided. But he will in one of the next two, so will Ryouta once again. Or maybe Lele, I haven't quite decided on that yet.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an awesome fic.

I think some people have a point with the slight cliche, seeing as the main character is a prodigy duelist, who decides to go to Slifer red, and then beats virtually everyone. But personally, i couldn't care if you brought in a british villian, possessed by an evil duel spirit. keep writing and i look forward to the next chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ɢαlαхy' timestamp='1330436824' post='5846000']
Either way, I'm sure it'll be great. I'll be back in in three weeks to find out. :D
[/quote]HEY! IT'S BEEN FIVE WEEKS! Shut your mouth next time.

Using a little bit of a new format with this one. Instead of extra spaces splitting scenes I'll be using lines such as [hr] in those spaces. Tell me what you think of it or if there's something I should do to make it better.

[spoiler='Chapter 13']“Are you joking? You lost to him and tried to steal his key cards anyway?”

“Uh, I’m sorry. I, um, guess I didn’t think it through well enough.”

Isaac looked at the floor, knowing that he couldn’t blame the mishap on the real culprit: no one telling him that you couldn’t simply take the key cards. No one had really informed him of the rules; he didn’t think they’d be that restricting anyway.

So in a way, it was kind of his fault. The rules, at least on a technical side, were that each key card was linked to the duel disk of the person carrying them. If someone won, the key cards that were connected to the opponent would then reconnect with the new winner. Through this method, no one could simply take the key cards, as they would not be connected to them

“So do you want me to give them back?” Isaac regretted the words the second the left his lips, and a fist to his stomach seconded that notion. Then again, was he really to blame, it was one of the two boys standing over him that had actually taken the bag, so really it wasn’t all his idea, right?

Isaac tried his breath to inhale if for nothing more than to just keep breathing. He’d tried to say that before but then they’d started beating on him. Staring at the floorboards, he realized how much s*** he might be in.

Being in the Security Club had given himself a false sense of security, of power. But with one slip-up, you could be found the next day lying unconscious in a pool of your own… whatever bodily fluid they thought was a fitting punishment. He could only wonder what they were planning with him.

“Hey now. There’s no need to cause such harm to him now.”

The two security club members who were leaning over the crumpled body of Isaac quickly recoiled from the boy as Teodoro walked up to him.

“No, we should be congratulating him, shouldn’t we?” Teo smirked as he knelt in front of the boy. “He’s given you lot a wonderful opportunity, hasn’t he?”

The two other boys looked at each other before returning their gaze to Teo. “How so…?”

“This young man has taken the key cards of a person close to Everett Aalto. Now consider this: if we have his key cards, he won’t be able to compete unless he gets them. Meaning…”

The two boys kept quiet, exchanging glances with each other, surprisingly dimwitted enough not to understand what Teodoro was suggesting to them. “Um… meaning what…?

Teodoro sighed. “Meaning he’ll have to come to us.”

“Oh, I see, that’s brilliant!” The taller of the two exclaimed, in a tone, though, that hinted at a bit of doubt.

“Of course the idea would also be to get Aalto to come as well, in order to defeat him.” Teodoro stood tall and walked over to the nearest window. “Shane, you are president of the security club, are you not?”

The raven-haired boy who had been the one that had been the [i]actual [/i]one to have taken Ryouta’s bag gulped. “Um. Yes, sir.”

Teodoro looked back towards him, the sunlight that lingered through the partially shuttered windows emphasizing the maniacal grin cast across his face. “Here’s what you’re going to do.”
[hr]
Ryouta had found himself physically immobile and panting as he leaned up against the side of one of the trees that dotted the path leading up to Duel Academy’s main building.

He couldn’t remember how long he’d been sprinting. He couldn’t remember how long he’d been sprinting after he’d lost Isaac’s trail. Hell, he couldn’t even remember when he’d lost his trail in the first place.

He could feel his knuckles almost splinter as he slammed his fist against the wood. Without those key cards, he wouldn’t be allowed to even duel. Ryouta’s head was fighting with itself to focus on the task at hand rather than the consequences of failure.

The tournament rules stated that the cards will be connected to a GPS that each player must have with them at all times and those cards must be kept within close proximity to the GPS if one wanted to duel to win more.

In other words, as long as that Isaac kid and the other guy he never got a good enough look at had his key cards, he wouldn’t be able to win more. Nor could turn any in to advance to the next round. Well, then again, he [i]did[/i] only have…

Ryouta lifted up the GPS. Along with being a GPS, the little device around his wrist also showed how many key cards he had left to win as well as well as a little light, now glowing red, showing if his key cards were within range. (From the Instructions Manual: If key card proximity light is red, it signifies that that the key cards are not within range. Once in range, the device will give off a beep an the light will turn blue.)

Ryouta sighed. He must have won two cards from Isaac, because the GPS showed that he only needed one more card to advance.

Ryo was stopped short, only a moment away, from just bashing his head into the trunk of the tree when his personal PDA buzzed with an incoming message.

Turning around and settling himself on the ground leaning against the tree solemnly, he opened his messages and looked at the sender.

The box read “Shane Hols, President of the Security Club.”

Ryouta knocked his head back against the tree. He knew that to get his key cards back he’d need to duel him, but Shane had a reputation for being… well, somewhere between a****** and dumbass and Ryouta really didn’t feel like opening the message.

After a minute though, logic won whatever struggle Ryouta made with himself and he opened the message. Ryouta tilted his head like a confused canine when he saw the recipients of the message.

Though he had expected himself to receive it, apparently it’d also been sent out to Leland and Everett.

Ryouta scratched the back of his head. Apparently the security club was trying to get to Everett through messing with him. Either that or they were just being really nice and notifying those closest to Ryouta to help him get his stuff back fast- oh, who was he kidding, they were trying to get to Rhett.

“[i]Dear Ryouta Ito and Co.,[/i]

[i] It’s come to our attention that we are in possession of a number of key cards of one Ryouta Ito. Now although we would be delighted to assist you in getting them back we’d like to make it clear that due to certain circumstance- those being that we are in a tournament where these cards are at stake- we ask simply for a friendly duel after being such good Samaritans.[/i]

[i] Sincerely,[/i]

[i] Security Club President, Shane Hols.[/i]”

Ryouta let his arms go limp, resting on his knees and letting his head fall forward in melancholy. So now they were going to make him duel to get the cards back? Just. Great.

Ryouta sighed as he tried to pull himself up. Well, hopefully he’d be able to get down to the security club’s main office in the Obelisk Blue dorm, duel, and hopefully leave with his cards without getting the other guys involved, especially-.

“Hey, Ryo! There you are, I was looking all over for you.”

“Everett…”

Everett slowed down his pace as he finally reached Ryouta, a concerned look resting on his face. “Are you alright? I just got that message from the security club, what happened?”

Ryouta sighed as his plans left to find a drain to wash themselves down, deciding it was best to get to the point. “Sorry for dragging you into this, Everett. One of the security club members stole my key cards. Now they’re asking for me to duel for them.”

“Huh.” Everett folded his arms. “Who was it that took it?”

Ryouta stared disappointedly at Everett, both knowing full well that Everett wouldn’t know anyone even if Ryouta told him.

“Fair enough. Where’s the security club located?”

Ryouta turned away and started walking down the road in the opposite direction he had been previously running.

“The first floor hallway in the Obelisk Blue dorm.” Ryouta almost twitched as he quickened his pace. “Hopefully we won’t run into too much trouble from the blues.”
[hr]
Isaac sat silently in the dark and empty room.

After Teodoro had relayed the plan to them, he’d led Shane and the other boy, Davis- the security officer in charge of the surveillance systems around the school- out of the room to finish the discussion outside.

Isaac didn’t know why he’d bother, the walls in this part of the building were paper thin as it was; there was really no point to doing it at all.

Still, he could understand why he had done so. Whatever caring and likable attitude Teodoro had shown inside the room died the second the door shut behind him. All that talk about them being grateful was bullshit.

“When you get the key cards from Aalto and Ryouta, make sure that Richardson won’t make the same mistake twice. Lengthen the lesson the longer it takes to get those key cards back.”

It would take an idiot to not understand what it was Teodoro was telling them to do. Then again, maybe Isaac was an idiot. After all, the door was still unlocked. Hell, this was the only room in the building that had a lock that didn’t work.

He could leave any time he wanted too, but he’d been sitting there for what had to have been at least fifteen, maybe twenty minutes. Isaac chuckled to himself. What the hell was he doing?

And still, there he sat.
[hr]
“They’re taking too long.”

“Will you stop your bitching?”

“I don’t like to be kept waiting.”

“We’re basically holding ransom, what did you expect?”’’

Shane and Davis sat on the front steps of the Obelisk blue dorms. Shane ran his fingers through his hair smoothly, chuckling at Davis’s comment.

“Now, now. It’s not ransom, we’re being real good citizens, returning lost property. Just asking for a duel isn’t too much to ask In return, is it?”

Davis stood up and leaned himself against one of the stone columns that lined the entrance.

“And like any good citizen, we’re going to make it so that they can’t get their key cards back whether they win or lose.”

“Details!” Shane exclaimed as he stood up. “And wouldn’t you know it? Our guests have arrived.

Shane’s smirk quickly eroded into a hastily configured smile as Ryouta walked up to the short set of stairs, Everett close behind.

“Ah, glad to see you could make it alright!”

“Cut the crap, blue. Where are my key cards?”

“Hey now. No need to be so hostile, we’re not asking for much. We just happened to find your bag and-.”

“Shut up, you piece of s***. We both know you stole it, drop the act and give me my key cards.”

Shane sighed. “I thought we made it clear to you that you’d be able to get your key cards back if you win them.”

Ryouta cracked his knuckles. “That’s nice, but I find force to be a lot faster and more efficient so no thanks I’d rather go with that.”

“Now, now, Ryouta. There’s no need for force.” Shane’s grin returned to his face. “And may I remind you where you are. Now unless you want me to get the rest of the security club out here, I suggest you agree to our terms.”

Ryouta cringed. “And those are?”

“We will give you your cards back whether you win or lose, we just want to duel you. Consider it a test of your abilities!”

Ryouta folded his arms, knowing they wouldn’t stop there. “And?”

“And? Well there’s nothing more I can think of, can you, Davis?”

“No, sir. None that I can think of.”

“Hmm, good. Yes, that should be everythi- oh!” Shane turned his attention to Everett, as if he hadn’t noticed his presence the entire time. “Well you’ve brought your friend along! Why don’t we do a tag duel!”

“Took them goddam long enough.” Ryouta muttered under his breath before looking back at Everett. “So?”

“Who me?” Everett pointed at himself as if he didn’t understand the question, not getting an answer from Ryouta past a disappointed glare. He smiled, “I thought you’d never ask.”

“It’s only been like a second since they asked, though.”

“That’s nice, Ryouta.” Everett stepped up besides him. “By the way, do our decks have any synergy whatsoever…?”

“…we’re totally boned, aren’t we?”

“Meh, kinda.”

Shane’s smirk grew more sinister as all four duelists took their places.

“So let’s go over the ground rules of how to do a tag duel again, shall we?” Shane didn’t wait for anyone to answer. “I will start, followed by Ryouta, then Davis, then Everett before going back to me. Players will only share a field, Graveyard and Life Points, and both will be the same size as if this were a one on one match. They do not share hands. During the Opponent’s turn, teams will only have the hand of the last person to go. Any more questions? I don’t think there’s much else I need to go over. Especially for you two, no?”

Shane took Everett and Ryouta’s silence as confirmation.

“Well, then. If there aren’t any questions.” The shadow cast by Shane’s smirk dissipated under the lights of the hologram’s activation. “I suppose we shall begin.”

“Game on.”[/spoiler]

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1333983712' post='5907515']
Well, this should get interesting. Still, five weeks... Isn't that slightly long for a chapter without a duel?
[/quote]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/procrastination?s=t

Archived