Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

........... roughly 300 views of this topic since the last chapter.....

........... and one, eleven word comment..............

........... eleven words?

[spoiler=Chapter 15:2][i]‘Now what do I do?’[/i]

That question had been one of the few thoughts that kept returning to Sakura’s mind ever since she had been placed in this small holding cell just over an hour ago. The cell was not uncomfortable; just a small box with a bunk and not much else. The guard outside had rejected her every demand to let her out, but also for food or means to pass the time. She assumed in the hope that he wanted her to just go to sleep. She argued that how could she possibly sleep at a time like this, knowing what was happening and being unable to stop feeling worried about it without a distraction. Her reasoning, or whining, got him to relent and bring her a small meal and some books, but they would not allow what she really wanted.

[i]‘I can’t believe dad had these guys lock me up in here.’[/i] Well no, she could totally understand. Dad was of course doing what he felt he had to do to keep her safe, after her wandering off had giving him and mum the scare of their lives and which been exploited by Murtagh. [i]‘Because I wandered off, dad felt he was forced to let Izura go. It’s because I was so hopeless in that duel that... Maybe I should stay in here after all. I want to help, but so far everything I’ve done has caused more trouble than good.’[/i]

In the little bag by her side, a faint glow responded to her thinking. Picking out the cause automatically, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_16%3A_Shock_Master"]Number 16: Shock Ruler[/url] continued to emit its soft, mournful glow. [i]‘Oh don’t you start. You’ve been no more help than I have. What did you lead me here for if I was just going to be locked up?[/i]’ Still the strange fairy remained silent, its stony sorrowful face gazing out at her. Replacing the card in her bag, she looked around the cell again. As she did so she thought about what the others she had seen might be doing now, if they were successful in their mission. That Hunter guy seemed too laid back for the field commander of a major operation, but his boss Murakami Baron was very fierce. He scared her, but that probably endorsed his abilities in this kind of situation. She also trusted that scientist guy with his abilities and history. Minister Tanaka she knew quite well, he seemed a very cool and competent man, but she had no idea he duelled. Then was that cop who looked most angry about everything, that Jin kid who she thought she vaguely recognised from somewhere, and... Clarissa and her brother Wilhelm.

[i]‘Do they really expect Clarissa to help the team? I don’t understand how they can trust someone like that after all she’s done. She might be the mother of sorts to this Kaneko girl, but she’s still responsible for everything that happened today to all the people in the hospital, and she paved the way for Murtagh with her actions. How can they trust her, or let her off if she helps them? She should be made to pay somehow[/i]’[i].[/i] Feeling a renewed sense of direction and need to do something, Sakura searched the room again for means of escape.[i] ‘Come on, there has to be an air duct or vent of some kind I can crawl through. Hey, I know!’[/i]

Groaning theatrically, Sakura curled herself up and began to rock and moan in pain. “Oh, I feel sick.”

“You’ll have to do better than that miss.”

“Hey, you’re not even going to check on me? I could be really ill you know!” The guard on the other side of the steel door laughed heartily at her speedy recovery, before telling her he felt perfectly fine after having the same meal and to be quiet, before walking off. “Oh fine!” Sitting down in a huff, she tried to form a new plan. [i]‘How do I get out of here?’[/i]

Just as she lay back on the bed the room rocked and threw her off of it, as something outside boomed with incredible force. Shocked she tried to stagger up onto her knees, but another more forceful boom rocked her again, making her fall and cry out. Somewhere in a completely indefinable direction or distance, the dulled yet unmistakeable sound of explosions could be heard.

Inside the mission room far above the holding cells, the explosions were a lot more forceful and were becoming more constant. The whole room was shaking, the display screen that Piotr could be seen on flickering dimly with the lights as it threatened to go offline. Holding onto the central table for support, Baron tried to shout over the noise. “Red alert all forces! What the hell is going on?”

“Explosions on the south and east wings sir, originating from the parking lot” one of the agents shouted as he staggered towards the door, trying to bring up any surveillance cameras still working. He got one over the car park, just in time to see a missile zoom across the screen and explode into one of the trucks outside. “Sir, helicopters!”

Baron’s first response was just a stream of mangled curses. “Everyone stop what you’re doing and get on defending the base. Deymura, get the number and location of those choppers locked on. Ono-san, get the army to scramble air support. All field agents to get all the anti-air weaponry and combat them.” Everyone sprang to the appropriate commands, rushing out of the room to get to arms as the explosions finally started to subside a little. “Come on, come on! Deymura!”

“Got them sir. Two choppers two miles away to the south over the city and closing in fast. They must have used up their missiles and be preparing to engage with their other firepower. Kami’s sir!”

“Bah, coming over the city so that we wouldn’t fire back huh? Bet they weren’t expecting to find our base was so well built. Well they’re about to find we’re also well armed against anyone with a death wish to attack us. Get them!”

Back in the holding cells, Sakura had managed to stagger to her feet and was desperately hammering against the cell door. “Hey, let me out! You can’t leave me in here, not if you’re all going to evacuate!” She sort of knew that actually, since the holding bays were near central in the bases design and possibly part underground for security reasons, she was more than likely in the safest place to be. But another explosion quickly dispelled that thought in place of more desperate hammering. Still, she couldn’t hear her guard rushing to let her out. [i]‘He’s left me? He must have been ordered to go and fight whatever it is that’s attacking the base. This is bad. I have to get out of here somehow.’[/i]

Suddenly a wild idea flashed across her mind. Snatching at her bag again, she removed the card of Shock Ruler and held it against the lock of the door. “Please, if you can do anything at all, now would be good.”

The soft aura surrounding Shock Ruler intensified to a much fiercer glow, but this time Sakura did not shy away from it. Instead she held firm, heard the chink of the lock in the door as it broke and the cards glow subsided to nothing once again, allowing her to push through the door and try to remember her way back through the maze of cells she was bought through. The prisoners in the other cells were making a real din in their pleas to escape, but she paid them no heed as she found the exit.

Bursting into the main floor area, the place was chaos. Standard base operatives were heading for cover away from the high central ceiling above them, despite it looking very sturdy, whilst field agents armed with rocket and grenade launchers were running mostly in the opposite direction and out to her left, nobody paying her a second’s attention as she moved through the melee with them. She caught snatches of orders from the men “They’re using machine guns now, take good cover. Don’t let them retreat back over the city, we can’t allow them to lure us into bringing them down over civilians. You’ve all been drilled for this situation ladies, make sure your bits don’t shrink cuz it’s the real thing!”

[i]‘Are they fighting helicopters?’[/i] Sakura wondered as she followed a group of retreating individuals upstairs. [i]‘Why would that happen? Unless Murtagh... did Murtagh do this? He has access to helicopters, and people willing to attack this place when they’ll surely be killed? That’s the man who rescued me?’[/i] The enormity of what the country faced immediately trebled in her mind. Still, she trusted the base had been built well to withstand any such attack. The initial explosions had stopped for one. Running along the top balcony, she stopped and paused as she noticed Shock Ruler was glowing again, having come to another locked door. Making sure nobody was watching as she used her key, she snuck inside.

Inside, she found herself in a darkened room with rows of RDL Terminals lined up against either side. Each terminal screen was feeding its projection into the D-Gazer and mind of the user sat before it, each person sat motionless in their seat and gazing transfixed into the virtual world they were immersed in. No-one was guarding them; they must have scrambled to fight the helicopters. Making her way down the row, she noted each of the group she had met earlier. They all seemed fine and still, except for Jin and the officer sat in second and third seats, who looked much more strained. On the back of the officer’s hand as it clasped tightly around the chair arms, she could see the number 96 glowing darkly. [i]‘They must be duelling, and hard. So when you summon a Number in battle, its mark appears on you in real life as well? These cards are so alien, no wonder Murtagh is after them for something.’[/i]

Approaching the end of the row, Sakura’s heart stopped when she saw Clarissa. Sat with her eyes half closed and with a grim expression on her face, not responding to Sakura waving a hand over her face. Next to her was another seat, the last in the row, which was empty. Sakura stared at them both for a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity.

Sinking herself into the empty seat, she recalled how setting up entry into the VDS was done. The process was simple even for her, allowing her to slide her D-Gazer and lean back as the virtual world started to form around her, giving Clarissa one last look before she disappeared.

...23:33:02...

Sakura was right in her observation about the two boys engaging in duels. She did not imagine however that they were duelling against each other, and that the initial aim of a duel to help one man recover his identity and trust in the others had transformed into something much more volatile. Watched by the helpless Rokuro and Wilhelm, Jin was adrift on a piece of rock floating into the magma pool towards the despairing duelist and the wicked creature floating beside him. Trapped on his isolated little island, Jin gulped as he looked up at the Number. This demon with its blazing malicious eyes, razor teeth and claws, surrounded by an aura of darkness and hate, the number 96 printed on one of its horns. Swallowing he checked the ARV display for its power, and was surprised by what he saw (Rk2, ATK 100).

“It only has one hundred attack points?”

“Maybe for now, but not for long” Daiki muttered. He wasn’t angry or desperate anymore, he sounded drained of emotion other than a harsh coldness. “Wilhelm was right when he told me that Numbers only reveal themselves when they can respond to their duelist. Well now Black Mist responds to me very nicely. After everyone has manipulated, abused and abandoned me, and left me empty except for darkness and despair, Black Mist has revealed itself to me to protect me from it happening again, and to allow me to hurt those who robbed me of my identity. Black Mist takes my anger and despair and turns it against those who will try to use and hurt me, just like it will turn your monsters power against you.”

“I’m not trying to hurt you Dai, I’m trying to help you” Jin yelled back. “This can’t be you.”

“Yeah, you would say that. But this is me now. I will not be used or lied to again, and anyone who has hurt me or tries to do in the future will suffer. Black Mist, attack Giganto Brilli-Ant!”

“What?” Beside Jin, the giant ant creature snapped its pincers at the dark creature looming over it, by far the stronger monster going into this battle (Rk3, ATK 2100). “But it will just be destroyed!”

“Naive child, weren’t you listening? I just told you Black Mist’s effect, but I guess I’ll just have to give you full demonstration. Shadow Gain!” One of the overlay units shot into Black Mist’s cavernous mouth, before it unleashed a great breath and streams of tar-like substance from its body whipped around the field with the force of a hurricane. Jin had to fight to stand upright and not be blown off the rock into the magma below. Giganto also struggled against the dark force, battered as the unaffected Daiki’s calm voice rang out. “When Black Mist declares an attack, it can consume an overlay unit to cut the attack points of the monster it battles in half. Then Black Mist gains attack points equal to the same amount!”

As the whirlwind subsided, Giganto was left crippled by the effect (ATK 1050). While across the field Black Mist was now the stronger (ATK 1150). “Go Black Mist. Crush that bug and make Jin feel our rage!”

With blinding speed the razor claws shot forth and cut through Giganto, obliterating it. The blow was minor in terms of life points, but the brunt it bore on Jin as his Number vanished was absolute agony. The darkness of the creature was all consuming as Jin felt its claws slash through him through Giganto’s destruction, leaving him doubled over and struggling for breath (LP 3900). Black Mist’s arm retracted to normal length and back to its starting place, floating above Daiki as he coldly placed the final card in his hand. “This is just the beginning of what awaits you. I place one card face down. Turn end.”

Daiki: LP 4000, Hand empty, Field of 96: Black Mist and a face down
Jin: LP 3900, Hand 3, Field empty

Behind Jin, Rokuro was running towards the magma pool separating the battered Jin from them, with Wilhelm trundling as quickly as he could after him. The boy looked hurt from an attack that had done only one hundred damage. This couldn’t continue. He was about to take a running dive in when Wilhelm shouted out as much as his condition would let him. “Stop... what the hell are you thinking?”

“It’s not real magma, just the projected illusion of it. Murtagh might have been able to manipulate the VDS duel settings to make the damage duelists take from attacks more severe on their mind, but I doubt he could do anything about the places aesthetics features.”

“He wouldn’t need to! You mightn’t be swimming through lava for real, but try... telling your brain that when every sense is screaming that you must be in pain from the information being fed to it by the VDS. RDL is envied world over for having the most authentic virtual reality world, right down to every detail... With the safety systems offline, you have no protection from the information this ‘illusion’ is pressing upon you. You would start to panic, only increasing the strain. You’d cook inside your own head!”

Teetering on the edge of the lava pool, Rokuro looked like he was considering risking regardless. In the end he decided against it by switching on his D-Gazer and calling HQ. “Murakami. Murakami? Can you hear me? Doctor Zielinski?” No response came back. “No-one’s answering? I don’t know why, but right now we don’t have any backup. Jin’s on his own and he might have to fight just for his own survival.”

With the worried looks of Wilhelm and Rokuro upon him, Jin forced himself up. “Daiki, you’ve got to stop this thing. This anger is going to consume you.” Daiki just stared back at him with that cold, empty glare. Desperate he looked for advice. “Wilhelm... what do I do?”

“I’d say... each Number I’ve seen so far appears to have a pre-dominant trait or personality. Having been created by a lonely young girl... I think it is possible each one represents a different part of her; maybe as a wide range of emotions she might experience... in a physical form. Now they are away from her, the traits of each Numbers seem to affect those who possess them... and if the duelist is not careful, they will be suppressed by their own will. Clearly that Number has a strong will to subject on a man in a very dark and vulnerable place. It’s only my thoughts and I can’t say for certain... you might be fighting Daiki controlling Black Mist... But you might be fighting Black Mist controlling Daiki.”

How Wilhelm could say all that with a smile was quite confusing for Jin. “I see, I guess that makes some sense. So if I destroy Black Mist, Daiki will be out from its influence and be able to recover himself?”

Wilhelm shrugged. “Maybe... depends on if he wants to recover.”

Jin nodded his thanks and turned back to face Daiki, who had been watching in cold silence. [i]‘I have to rescue him, I promised Kaneko.’ [/i]“Alright, then let’s do this thing and start clearing that mist. I draw, and begin my turn by summoning [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Dog"]Mainspring Dog[/url] to the field.” The small mechanical pooch bounded onto the field, yapping playfully despite the face of the terrifying monster ahead of it (Lv3, ATK 1200). “Next when I normal summon one Mainspring, I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Shark"]Mainspring Shark[/url] as well.”

The toy shark splashed onto the rock (Lv4, ATK 1500). “Next I activate the effects of my two monsters. Dog can increase its level by two, and Shark can increase its level by one. This gives me two level five monsters to overlay for another Xyz summon.” The two toys flew into the vortex and the second seal emerged, the four pointed weapon hanging over the field as the second set of runes glowed on his skin. As they appeared he immediately understood what Wilhelm had meant by Numbers imposing their will on the ones summoning them. The instant increase in pressure on his body and mind, he had to double concentration to keep himself safe as the ninja number broke from its seal.“Emerge from the shadows with your blade shining bright. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_12:_Crimson_Shadow_Armor_Ninja"]Number 12: Armoured Ninja - Crimson Shadow[/url]!"

“You are determined to keep fighting huh?” Daiki muttered in a bitter tone as he regarded his new enemy, the athletic flame haired ninja brandishing its sleek sword at Black Mist (Rk5, ATK 2400).

“Damn right I am. I’m not breaking my promises, or giving up on a friend.”

Daiki recoiled at Jin’s outburst, shaking his head and holding it as the aching intensified. “Damn it kid, I’m not your friend! I don’t have any real friends, just people who pretended to be in order to lie and use me, or who were my friends thinking that I was someone else. People like Garvan and Natsumi.”

“Natsumi? You mean that girl who met us earlier? What is she to you?”

“It’s none of your business!” Daiki scowled. “But she used to work for Real Duel, while we knew each other. Obviously she must have been keeping tabs on me for them, just like Garvan did at work.”

“Hmm, I don’t know. I’ve only seen her once, but I thought she was pretty genuine.” Words alone were clearly not going to convince him as he recoiled again, not with Black Mist making him see the worst in everyone and thing. [i]‘Black Mist drains my monsters attack before it attacks, but at the minute it’s still weak. He must have set that face down to make sure it survives until his next turn when it can power up again. But my ninja can get round that.’[/i] “Crimson Shadow, cut through that Mist!”

Leaping forward with its sword shimmering in the glare of the volcanic field’s heat, Crimson Shadow leapt high into the smoky air before falling towards Black Mist, sword ready. Daiki clutched his head again, but recovered just in time with a devastating counter. “Black Mist’s effect activates once again!”

“What!?” Another overlay unit vanishing into the demon’s large mouth filled him with dread. “It does it when I attack you as well?”

“That’s right!” Daiki chuckled darkly. “Shadow Gain!” Once more the hurricane like breath whipped around the field as Black Mist used its dark energy to drain away half of the ninjas power away (ATK 2350 and 1200). Tables turned Crimson Shadow plummeted through the dark air helplessly towards the powered up Numbers waiting claws, about to fall on its own sword.

“Crimson Shadow’s effect activates!” Jin countered. “By detaching an overlay unit, it won’t be destroyed by battle or card effects this turn.” Crimson’s effect activated just in time as it was skewered by Black Mist’s razor claws, contorting violently and trying to hack itself free. The blade sank through its tar like arm, making it roar and throw him back across the burning earth, ending in a heap where Jin was on his knees and gasping in pain (LP 2750). Rokuro and Wilhelm were calling out words for a halt, but they feel on deaf ears as Black Mist just floated there, mocking Jin as the arm regenerated, leaving it unscathed.

“What’s the matter kid?” Daiki snapped with his ever increasing cold, dark tone. As Black Mist got stronger, so seemed its effect on him. “You want to give up on me now you know Black Mist can’t be beaten? Now that you have a taste of everything that makes me?”

“Ugh......no” he groaned. “I set two cards and end my turn.”

“Bah, still you won’t leave me alone? Then you will be erased. My draw!” Catching sight of the drawn card, Daiki smirked approvingly. “Excellent, but first things first. Black Mist attacks Crimson Shadow, and of course it activates its effect, consuming its last overlay unit to weaken Crimson Shadow some more!”

This time Jin did find himself pulled and thrown around by Black Mist’s draining effect, pulling him and Crimson Shadow towards the edge of the small platform. Small bits of rock broke away under them as they teetered on the edge, dissolving to nothing as they plunged into the fire. Across the field, Black Mist was just waiting to tear into him (ATK 2950 and 600) while below it, Daiki clenched a fist in anger. “This attack will finish you. Black Mist, destroy all who would try to hurt us!”

“Not this time! I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Prison"]Dimensional Imprisonment[/url] trap card!” Rokuro cheered as the devastating trap opened, Wilhelm was a bit more non-committal in his reaction. “This banishes your attacking monster from play.”

“Like I’m going to allow that happen” Daiki snapped. “I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Reflect"]Xyz Reflect[/url]. This negates a card effect that targets an Xyz monster and destroys it, then slams you for eight hundred points of damage!” Jin roared again as the trap blasted him, crushing his mind to the point of blurring his sight and hearing (LP 1950). “Now you can’t stop this.”

“Crimson Shadow’s effect activates again, saving itself from destruction this turn.” Crouching in front of him to protect him despite its weakened self, Crimson Shadow was once again ripped open by Black Mist’s claws tearing through it. Each slash ripped through Jin too, cutting deep through him, he could barely stand under the impact of each blow. “Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Defense_Draw"]Guard Block[/url]; which reduces the damage to zero and lets me draw a card.”

As Black Mist withdrew, Daiki looked stunned that Jin had survived. “So still you think you keep fighting? Why? It is only the protection of Crimson Shadow that is keeping you alive at this point. If he goes down, and Black Mist attacks you directly, you would not be able to cope with that. You would probably die. Why do you keep risking your existence to fight me?” Jin’s didn’t reply immediately. “Tell me why?”

As he knelt across the field, Jin said... something. His reply was too quiet to hear. But he was looking at him with an expression he couldn’t understand. He was on his knees and faced with an impossible situation, but he wasn’t despairing. He wasn’t afraid. Slowly he got to his feet, and repeated himself. “I don’t want to fight. I want to help Kaneko, and you and Clarissa. I want to protect you all, and reunite you. You struggle to know who you really are, but it doesn’t matter who you were before. You have to decide who you want to be. Do you want to be what you’ve become with that monster beside you? You despair over the past, but it can’t hurt you unless you let it. You have to let it go and look towards a future, a brighter future together with Kaneko where you can do what you want to do. That’s why I’m duelling, to help you come out of the darkness and show you you’re not all alone and not everything is a lie. You have people who love and respect you, please see them again.”

“I...” Daiki was stunned by Jin’s outburst. So were Rokuro and Wilhelm. Jin was standing there defiantly though. They watched Daiki as he stood there, unsure of what to do. Jin had got through to him at last.

Until another pulse ran his head, and the glow of Number 96 on his skin intensified. “Your words are meaningless! Everyone in this existence is out to get and use everyone around them! I won’t have any part of it! I place one card face down. With this card, it will confirm your end!”

“Damn it, Black Mist’s grip on him is too strong now. I’ll have to end this duel quickly, and hope that the consequences aren’t fatal. I draw!” [i]‘Yes!’[/i]

“This duel will end quickly. This very turn in fact” Daiki shouted, his voice no longer seemed his own. “I activate the trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Mania"]Battle Mania[/url]. During my enemy’s turn; this forces all monsters to attack. Crimson Shadow and anything else you summon will be forced to drive hopelessly into Black Mist!”

“We’ll just see about that! I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Warrior"]Mainspring Warrior[/url] to the field.” The small amber plated warrior whirred itself onto the field (Lv4, ATK 1200). “Then I use [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Reborn"]Raise Dead[/url] to summon Mainspring Soldier back from my cemetery, and activate both monsters effect to increase their levels to five. Xyz Summon!” The two boosted little soldiers leapt one after the other into the air, towards the massive vortex opening overhead. The spectators watched in awe as the giant floating city descended, floating against the blackened sky. “Appear, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_33:_OOPArts_Super_Weapon_-_Machu_Mach"]Number 33: OOPArts Super Weapon - Machu Mach[/url]!" (Rk5, ATK 2400)

“A third Number?” Daiki gasped.

“Yep, and this one’s got just the effect I need. By detaching an overlay unit, it targets a monster whose current attack points are different to its original attack points. Then it hits you for damage equal to the difference. Right now, there’s one monster with quite a big difference...Machu Mach; Infinity Cannon!”

Daiki barely had time to blink when the cannons of the floating city fired down on him and Black Mist, blasting him into the floor. When the cannon fire ceased he was lying on his back near to the edge of his platform, chest heaving and clutching his spinning head (LP 1150). [i]‘I have to do this, for Kaneko’s sake and Daiki’s.’[/i] “Now Machu Mach gains attack points equal to the damage done...”

Just able to look up at Machu Mach, Daiki could see it powering up as its cannons whirred, its attack now far outstripping the powerless Black Mist (ATK 5250). “Go ahead... finish it...” he croaked.

Barely conscious, the wait for the attack seemed to take forever. His head was still spinning, but still the dark pulse that made it ache so much wouldn’t go away. Still Black Mist would not relent. Not until it was obliterated by the cannons above. There was a long pause as he waited for the attack...

“Very well Daiki... I will finish it... Crimson Shadow, attack Black Mist...”

...23:44:01...

Blasting through the eternal downpour on the few muddy roads of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wetlands"]Wetlands[/url] marshes, Natsumi and Hunter continued their own search around the VDS. They had filled each other in on their experiences of the day and knowledge of what was happening, something that was mutual beneficial for them. Not that they trusted each other much. Hunter seemed to insist on riding his D-Runner, a sleek model with an insectoid sort of body and black and yellow in colour, slightly behind her and tailing after her. Other than discussing their mission to find and protect Kaneko they had barely spoken, just journeyed looking for signs of her presence.

Wiping her visor, Natsumi was starting to lose concentration. The rain, even virtual rain, was uncomfortable to sit and ride in. No wonder the Wetlands was always one of the emptiest VDS areas at the best of times, which might have made it a hiding place for someone. Still, there was no sign of reason to continue soaking. Bringing up her D-Gazer menu, she prepared to warp. No need to warn Hunter, he would react and follow her closely anyway.

As she tried to find the hottest and driest area she could, an incoming message distracted her.

“Hey Hunter, I’ve got a lead.”

“You have?” Hunter replied over the D-Gazer’s headset, sounding equally shivery and miserable.

“Yeah, a friend of mine has sent me a message. It’s weird though...” Indeed, the message contained only a few short, impersonal words, and a set of co-ordinates. “My guide in the VDS has asked me to come to the Rockfall Area. He hasn’t said why, but hopefully he’ll be able to give us a lead.” Without further orders to go ahead, the warp portal to the selected co-ordinates opened ahead of her to burst through, closely followed by her new partner.

The pair found themselves on the top of the blissfully dry gorge, overlooking the trenches from the grassy tops. Unable to immediately see her contact despite the exactness of his co-ordinates as she rolled to a stop, Natsumi hunted the horizon for him while Hunter watched her with a puzzled expression. “So who are we meeting?”

“A guy called Methuselah. I think the ‘we’ part might be why he hasn’t appeared yet. You might have to go for a bit.”
Hunter did not agree, in fact quite the opposite. “Wait, you didn’t tell me you knew Methuselah.”

“Why should I have? He doesn’t want me shouting out about him to everyone I meet for reasons I shouldn’t have to explain to you in your profession. I think bringing you has already blown this meeting.”

“Well you had better tell me now” Hunter demanded much more sternly. “This Methuselah is someone we’ve been trying to find in order to get to Kaneko. What is it you...”

“Shush!” Natsumi had suddenly stopped and was perfectly still as she made the demand, staring out as something across the gorge. Prepared for anything she might be suspicious of Hunter tried to see what she was looking at, alert to the world around them for any potential danger. There was something on the ground far in the distance, a shadow low on the horizon. For a minute they sat in silence, nervously waiting for someone to approach, for something to happen. The shadow remained motionless as they were, someone lying down to avoid being spotted maybe? An owl screeched in the distance making both of their hearts jump inside of them, but on the outside they remained statuesque and waited.

“Hell with this” Natsumi finally whispered. “I’m not going to be scared of some shadow!” As quietly as she could, she rolled the runner around to face the thing on the horizon and approached it. Still it didn’t move. As Hunter followed his certainty of a trap increased with every metre, bracing himself for the inevitable ambush. The shadow still didn’t move and it was only a few metres away when...

“Methuselah!”

Abandoning all caution as soon as she saw what was lying on the ground, Natsumi leapt off her runner and ran the final few metres to Methuselah’s body. The frail old man was lying on his back in the dirt, with his head snapped at the neck and on back to front. Collapsing beside him, Natsumi just knelt over his body in silence, looking hopelessly at his dishevelled and broken body. “How?”

An arm wrapping around her shoulder made her jump at first, until she realised it was Hunter crouching beside her. He must have seen some things in his life, but even the hardy captain looked appalled by what he was seeing. “This... is Methuselah?”

“Yeah... it is...” Words were difficult to come by. “When I was on the run... I wanted to get back at RDL and find out why they were after me. I created a new account to use to try and hack into their files here, but they still found me almost immediately. But as I was cornered, I was warped away and found myself facing this old guy. He rescued me, even though he was with RDL, because he needed help and thought I would be able. He made sure I was protected when I used the VDS, taught me how to navigate my way into areas inaccessible to others so I could find out what was going on. All he asked was that I help him in return when the time came... which was today. But I... I didn’t...”

A small beeping interrupted her. Without any prompt or command, a small display screen appeared above Methuselah’s body and opened to play what looked like a recorded video link. Natsumi swallowed as Methuselah, the living and haggard looking Methuselah appeared before her. The videoed avatar went to speak but stopped, as if he’d thought of something, before lowering his hood to reveal his bald head and wrinkled, tattooed face. Natsumi had never seen him do that ever before. His eyes were filled with such sadness in this video as he looked over the pair forlornly.

[i]“Natsumi. If you are watching this, it is because I am no longer able to tell you what I must do now in person. You will have received this video either because my account has been detected automatically as inactive for a set amount of time, or because my apprentice has sent it to you herself as I have asked of her. Why do I feel the need to make you this message and speak to you this way? It is because I fear that the time for battle is close, bought by a fierce and dangerous young man who I’ve been sure would return one day, who threatens to destroy us all and the world around us. No one at the company will listen to this old man now, so I have had to make preparations for this battle on my own, and accept that I will probably not survive it. I didn’t want to burden you with too much, but that might have meant I’ve kept you at too greater distance sometimes. So now I will tell you all.[/i]

[i]I apologise for not telling you sooner, but the reason RDL went after you was, as you may already suspect now, because you got too close to something called Project Eve. This was a plan to create a child through genetic engineering to serve as avatar of this world for their life, who would be my successor. They would spend almost their entire life here as an integral part of the running of the VDS, shaping it as the power of their imagination and spirit allowed. The company could not let you discover and expose them. I was the avatar for forty years and a teacher for several after that, and as such I am an integral part of the system too. So much so that my mind and soul became part of the virtual world, so attached to it that even after my body ceased in the real world, a part of me was able to remain in this world. I think I am not the only case of this. I remained on as a ghost of this world to teach my successor, a little girl called Kaneko. I have kept her hidden away, even from you, for fear of who is to come.[/i]

[i]Natsumi, the instigator of this war is a man by the name of Murtagh. He is my more former apprentice, and took over the care of this world a little over eight years ago. He became unstable and dangerous and had to be removed, which I came back from retirement to do personally. He swore revenge on me and the company, no doubt when he returns he will come after me and Kaneko, to kill me and use her. In his unstable mind he will see her as a usurper to his position, and want to use her against RDL in an act of justice to himself. How, I do not know, but I might have to face him, and can no longer be sure of victory again. So I must ask you by this message, now that I have passed from this world to by his hand. Protect Kaneko. If he gets hold of her, I fear there may be no limit to what he will try to do, and with her he could well succeed in anything. Her powers are unique, but at her young age she may lose control of them and could become as dangerous as Murtagh herself. I have told her in my absence she must hide in our home, a place inaccessible to anyone unless we invite them in. However there is a gate I have put in place for you or others who might protect her to use. It is hidden in the ‘Polar Star Radiance’ area. Make sure you approach carefully before standing before the silent gates and speaking your name. Kaneko will open it for you. Natsumi... thank you for everything you’ve done for me. I only hope I’ve been some assistance to you in your quest, and that you will do me this last favour. Please survive, you and Kaneko. I have lived a full life and am at peace now; you girls are young and have bright futures which Murtagh has no right to rob from you. Even when I’m gone, I will always watch over you both. ..... goodbye.”[/i]

Methuselah’s voice faded away as the video ended, and the screen disappeared. Hunter and Natsumi remained kneeling over the avatar’s body in stunned silence, digesting what they had seen.

“I won’t let you down Methuselah. I will do as you ask” Natsumi croaked, looking down at his body. Her fists were shaking as she knelt there. “And I promise that should I get the chance, I will avenge you and destroy Murtagh. And Garvan and everyone else standing with him.”

Standing and hiding her face from Hunter, she turned to her runner. “Alright, we know what to do now. Let’s go.”

“Agreed” Hunter added, standing and tipping his hat to the dead avatar. He didn’t move to his runner though. “However Natsumi, before we go, I think I’ve also got to tell you something. It might be a bit much after his piece, but I think now this has happened that I can trust you and you should know.” She looked at him curiously as he bowed his head again. “It’s about Murtagh, and Garvan...”

...23:51:38...

Blackness surrounded him. He vaguely felt like he was lying on his back, but his body didn’t respond to thoughts of movement. Nor did his mouth to speech. All he could do was lie there, in a weird sense of tiredness that was taking over him. It was oddly peaceful despite being surreal. He could hear voices faintly in the distance, disturbing the tranquillity.

[i]“Jin! Jin!”[/i]

[i]“In a minute. Just let me rest a minute. I’m too tired.”[/i]

[i]“Jin! Wake up Jin!”[/i]

[i]“Wake up? Um... alright, I’ll try...”[/i]

With one huge effort of will Jin blinked his eyes open, and found he was indeed lying on his back in the volcanic Burning Blood area, with the worried expressions of Rokuro, Wilhelm and Daiki looming over him. Pushing himself upright was a surprising struggle, every muscle begged for rest, but Rokuro helped him sit up. He’d been rescued from his floating island, which he didn’t remember, and all the monsters on the field at the end of the duel had gone too. Rubbing his head as the others continued to look over him with fearful expressions, he smiled weakly to try and ease their worries. “Hi guys. Was I asleep?”

“Unconscious more like, and you were so for several minutes” Rokuro replied. “You went straight down after that final attack bought your life points to zero. We feared with what is happening, it is probably only those Numbers that... what were you thinking?”

“The Numbers... protected me?” Indeed, a glowing light on the arm caught his attention. The mark of number 33 was glowing fainter there, until it disappeared with his return to consciousness. “Thanks Kaneko, and you Machu Mach” he breathed to himself before looking at Daiki. He was stood slightly away from the other two, looking at him with a horrified expression. The mark of 96 still remained on his hand, but was much fainter now.

“You threw the match and risked your life in the process? Why?”

“Don’t worry about it. I still had Machu Mach out, I was pretty sure it would protect me. Whereas I was worried that if I attacked you and destroyed Black Mist, you might not have been as protected, especially with you teetering on the edge of the magma like that.”

“Don’t give me that” Daiki blurted. He wasn’t angry; his voice was too desperately strained. “You didn’t do it to save my skin. You could have easily just stacked and walked away to do that. But you sacrificed yourself when anything could have happened, after everything I did to you. Why?”

“It’s... well when you put it like that I guess it’s silly really” Jin muttered, ruffling his hair. Well at least his body or mental projection of or whatever was starting to feel better now. “But... I really wanted to show you that I would do anything to help you and Kaneko. Words weren’t cutting it, and well, with you lying there still under the control of Black Mist, I wasn’t sure what victory would achieve either, other than the risk of Kaneko losing her father. I definitely didn’t want that to happen either. Black Mist might have been beaten for now, but would it achieve anything? Would defeat make you feel any better about yourself? I thought the best thing I could do was prove to you everything I said in the only way I could. I would do anything to help and protect my friends, and that includes you. I want you to be happy, and seeing you like you were, I wanted to do something to help you. Same with Kaneko... even though she seems happy all the time.” Thinking of Kaneko made him laugh to himself, much to the others bewilderment. “Ah don’t worry about me, I told you I’m fine. I knew Machu Mach would protect me, after all Kaneko gave it to me to protect me. She’s the one who needs us, not me.”

“You would sacrifice yourself... for someone you barely even know...?”

“Well, kinda I guess... And it’s not because Kaneko asked me to either, it’s because I wanted to. If you guys are all happy and safe, then that makes me happy. Told you it was kinda silly...” Jin’s voice trailed off again as the others looked at him. He wasn’t sure if they understood or not, but that was how he felt and at least he’d been honest to them all, and himself. Daiki turned his back and trailed off to himself for a moment, he didn’t look like he understood either.
“But...after everything that’s happened, how can I trust anyone?”

“You can trust us or you cannot” Rokuro told him sternly. “The first would be preferable because we are genuinely trying to help each other and we are concerned about the girl, but the nation’s safety is my number one priority. Sorry if that’s blunt but it has to be. You can keep in your little shell right now if it makes you feel safer, but the least you can do is come with us and stop Murtagh from doing whatever he wants with Kaneko, rather than sit on that rock all night feeling sorry for yourself.

“I... I guess that’s true.”

“Daiki.” Jin had managed to get himself to his feet and make his way over to him. “At the end of it, you can choose who you trust and who your friends are or not, on any reason you want. But you can’t choose your family. Right now Kaneko is your family and she’s in danger. She needs you.”

“Kaneko... my daughter needs... my help.” Daiki looked like he wanted to be sick as he paced back and forth shaking his head. Jin and Rokuro watched him nervously as he fought with himself, trying to convince himself on what to do. Eventually he came to a decision. He still looked very edgy and nervous, but a bit more resolute. “Okay. For now, I’ll fight until Kaneko is rescued and safe. I’ll at least do that.”

“Good to hear” Jin cheered. “It can’t have helped with that Black Mist in the back of your head too.”

Shakily removing the card from his deck, Daiki shook his head. “Black Mist bears no blame. It is what it was meant to be, a part of Kaneko in physical form. To blame it would be to blame her. I gave it strength with my state of mind and a window to pass through. A window I made no attempt to close.”

“You think you can keep it and not let it happen again?” Rokuro asked. He still looked deeply unhappy and stern, but Daiki nodded.

“No, I will carry it on, as a reminder so that it does not happen again. The idea of returning such a thing to Kaneko doesn’t exactly thrill me, but I guess I have to. It’s a part of her and she wouldn’t be complete without it. She is my daughter...” It was quite a thing for him to finally accept, but acknowledging Kaneko as such seemed to lift its own small weight. “I have to at least do my best for her. I don’t think you are as much of a threat to her as Murtagh, but I’m still... we’re just fighting together for now.”

“Well now... this has all turned out most favourably...” The group jumped as Wilhelm rolled between them. He didn’t look particularly emotional either way about Daiki and Jin’s recoveries, just irritated by all the talking. “Just remember we’re here to do just that... protect Kaneko. At least now we can all get back to focusing on that... and there are more of us left alive to do it... I suppose...” He looked up at Daiki with a grimace. “You know I’m still not your biggest fan... but I think sister will be glad to hear that you’re going to start manning up to your responsibility.”

“Harsh, but you have a point. I’ll have to talk to her when I see her. Like you said, you can’t choose your family. Hopefully she won’t hit me again.” He smirked when Wilhelm told him not to count on it, much to the younger brother’s annoyance before he rolled off. Rokuro sighed and watched him go.

“Yeah, that’s the company I get to partner with. I guess I better let Murakami know you’re back onside. We’ve been out of communication with him for a while for reasons I don’t yet know, so both sides could do with an update. Can’t promise he’ll be any less furious with you for now, but as long as you help get the job done then you should be fine. Maybe...”

“Um... Mister Tanaka.” Rokuro turned to see Jin address him in a rather embarrassed way. “Sorry I disobeyed your orders not to duel unless against Murtagh or his group. It won’t happen again.” Reaching into his D-Disk, he pulled out a couple of cards. “Um... you don’t have a Number do you? Well, I have three, so I’d like you to have one of mine to protect you with.”

Rokuro hesitated before answering. “Thanks, but no thanks. I can’t summon any of them in my deck. Besides, you need all the protection you can get if you’re going to pull stunts like that.” Jin insisted despite the others chuckling at him, but he was turned down firmly. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll be fine. You’ve got a good partner there Masuro, look after him. Keep in touch.”

With that, Rokuro and Wilhelm passed through to another area of the VDS that the minister opened and left the two still rather sore duelists to turn to their own path together. “Guess we should crack on too and look around together. It’ll be safer to go as a pair. Just... don’t do anything crazy again okay?”

“No problem Dai” Jin smiled. “Come on; let’s go before the earth blows up again.”

...23:54:08...

With a heavy grimace, Baron Murakami returned to the operations room and surveyed the task force as they returned to their assigned duties. The enemy helicopters that had attacked the building had been down and searched, but the men inside them had not survived. They had even discovered a bottle of liquid in the hands of one of the gunmen, the men had clearly been sent out prepared not to come back. The building was still largely intact having been built to withstand various attacks, although most of the vehicles parked outside had been destroyed and a lot of fires were being put out even now. Still, he had no time to deal with that sort of thing.

“Alright, are we all back now? Good. Ono-san, get an update on and re co-ordinate the search for Murtagh as necessary. Deymura, keep scanning the VDS for any suspicious activity. You over there, check up on our agent’s condition next door. Doctor Zielinski.” The doctor’s face appeared on the reopened display screen as another agent disappeared next door, looking up at the address from his work with an annoyed expression. “Keep on with... whatever it was you were doing. And someone get me in touch with Tanaka and Webb!”

Keylan passed him his D-Gazer and connected him to the VDS external call system and their frequency. Hunter was engaged, but Rokuro was trying to contact him anyway. They exchanged information of events briefly, including how Masuro was back on the team and partnered with Jin (Rokuro did not elaborate on how), and the helicopter attack. Just as the update was coming to a close, the agent who had gone to check on the people using the terminals were okay came back, with a look of terror on his face. Either it was because of what he had discovered to tell Baron, or what his reaction might be.

“Sir... I’ve just found, and I don’t know how it’s happened but... during the confusion of the attack, the prime ministers daughter escaped from our holding cells and went into the VDS next door. I’ve tried to log her out, but nothing is responding.”

Elsewhere, in the depths of the dark and claustrophobic jungle of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Closed_Forest"]Closed Forest[/url], Clarissa ended the communication with her brother with a smile, becoming perfectly still and closing her eyes as she found a desirable place, and waited. Her solitary travels across the VDS had yielded little until now as she waited for trouble to come her way, but it appeared that something interesting was finally going to happen. She could tell someone had been following her for a few minutes, and had indulged them in their little game of hide and seek until she got to this small and very rare clearing among the thick twisted trees; now all she had to do was wait for them to reveal themselves. She remained still as her pursuer approached, marching steadfastly out of the darkness behind her, and she could not suppress a smile to herself. How determined of her to make her way here despite everything, and brave too to come despite it and track her down. This hunt for Kaneko and Murtagh that had been unsuccessful so far could be shelved for just a little while, when this persistent child was going to keep tracking her every move until she dealt with her.

“So you finally got here. Somehow I knew you would...” Clarissa turned and smiled at the young girl standing behind her, dressed in a white roman tunic and gold armour, D-Disk armed and staring back at her with a fierce expression. “Sakura...”

23:59:58... 23:59:59... 00:00:00...[/spoiler]

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I freaking posted yesterday. I typed out a post, and click the post button. And of course it decided not to actually post. Yay. Anyway, I'm reading the latest chapter now. I'll say stuff after I finish it.

Yay, stuff! So...both of the last two chapters were good. But it does seem weird that Jin is willing to risk death to save people he barely knows...I know that was addressed, but it seems a little odd. It does make sense, though. IDK really if I feel like I need to bother ranting about. I just kind of am. Yay?

[color=#ffffff](More than 11 words! Success!)[/color]

Sorry about not posting yet. I've spent all week either not having Wifi or desperately trying to keep up with my YouTube subscriptions when I do.

The chapter was good. However, Jin seems a little bit...I dunno, Mary Sue-esque I guess. I mean, because a six-year-old (a godly, magical six-year-old, but still) tells him to help people, he decides to try to make Daiki normal again. But it seems like there's no reason whatsoever for Daiki to get even kind of over his life being basically in shambles, just because a random kid he met earlier that day played a card game with him. It is Yugioh, so card games have to be the solution...but it seems to me that realistically, Jin can't do much to help Daiki.

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1340465788' post='5961443']
D:
Epic chapter.
(The like system is glitching up once again).
[/quote]

Sorry if the 11 words remark came across as a slight at you dude, at least you do give me something in way of feedback :)

Thanks for doing so again and sorry for my ranting.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1340469759' post='5961444']
I freaking posted yesterday. I typed out a post, and click the post button. And of course it decided not to actually post. Yay. Anyway, I'm reading the latest chapter now. I'll say stuff after I finish it.

Yay, stuff! So...both of the last two chapters were good. But it does seem weird that Jin is willing to risk death to save people he barely knows...I know that was addressed, but it seems a little odd. It does make sense, though. IDK really if I feel like I need to bother ranting about. I just kind of am. Yay?

(More than 11 words! Success!)

Sorry about not posting yet. I've spent all week either not having Wifi or desperately trying to keep up with my YouTube subscriptions when I do.

The chapter was good. However, Jin seems a little bit...I dunno, Mary Sue-esque I guess. I mean, because a six-year-old (a godly, magical six-year-old, but still) tells him to help people, he decides to try to make Daiki normal again. But it seems like there's no reason whatsoever for Daiki to get even kind of over his life being basically in shambles, just because a random kid he met earlier that day played a card game with him. It is Yugioh, so card games have to be the solution...but it seems to me that realistically, Jin can't do much to help Daiki.
[/quote]

Again, you do comment most chapters. (I know what poor Internet is like). My point is you two aren't making up the entirity of 300 views though (do guest views count as views :huh:?)

You're right in your comments, and believe me it was a lot worse after the first draft. Thankfully Saber got me to redo it because it was unbelievable levels of Mary-sue Dueling solves everything. Daiki isn't totally over his baggage, he was in first draft but like you said that would be too wut? Right now he's just putting his issues on hold until Murtagh is dealt with and is helping in an 'alliance of need', possibly comparable to Natsumi. The rewrite probably wasn't done that totally well in getting that across.

I'm not very good at doing major protagonists falling into Yami mode. At least in Armageddon a similar thread ended in one of the duels of the story.

You're right about Jin's reasoning being terrible though, took many attempts to get to that point and was still sort of 'ugh, really?'

Still, Sakura and Clarissa confrontation to look forward to right? Right...? :)

Irrelevant Notes of Possible Interest: Originally Jin was suppossed to defeat Daiki the traditional way, but the opportunity for the throw just... happened, and appealed over 'defeat the evil thing and everything's okay'. There was also a few days during the immediate time after its anime release that Jin would have obtained and use Number 8: Genome Heriter to 'out Black Mist Black Mist'. But card change.

Since you want more reviews, I'll throw in my opinion as well.

I've read it all and have found it very enjoyable. The duels aren't drawn out, nor do they end in a few turns (apart from the exception in Chapter 1, but I feel it was justified). You seem to be doing a good job of getting the Numbers to fit into decks, and you have some decks that don't focus on Xyz. The progression of the story being as it is (the whole 30 mins a chapter business) put me off at first, but you work it well, because there's definitely enough going on, but not too much as to confuse me.

As for complaints, most are pretty minor, like Kaneko feeling just a bit too bright for a 6-year old, but that might have been the intent. Also the under-use of Synchros, which may just be for the time being, but we've had Fusions and Rituals already, and I'm not sure how many new decks we're going to see. I must commend you though, for saving what I think are some of the best Numbers till later, presumably for the antagonists.

All in all, keep up the good work, I'll be reading this pretty much whenever it updates.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1340502842' post='5961667']
Wow...the second half of my post was the post I made yesterday that somehow just got posted now.

Oh, YCM.
[/quote]

Lol :P

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1340561207' post='5961915']
Since you want more reviews, I'll throw in my opinion as well.

I've read it all and have found it very enjoyable. The duels aren't drawn out, nor do they end in a few turns (apart from the exception in Chapter 1, but I feel it was justified). You seem to be doing a good job of getting the Numbers to fit into decks, and you have some decks that don't focus on Xyz. The progression of the story being as it is (the whole 30 mins a chapter business) put me off at first, but you work it well, because there's definitely enough going on, but not too much as to confuse me.

As for complaints, most are pretty minor, like Kaneko feeling just a bit too bright for a 6-year old, but that might have been the intent. Also the under-use of Synchros, which may just be for the time being, but we've had Fusions and Rituals already, and I'm not sure how many new decks we're going to see. I must commend you though, for saving what I think are some of the best Numbers till later, presumably for the antagonists.

All in all, keep up the good work, I'll be reading this pretty much whenever it updates.
[/quote]

A new comment? From a new reader? With a mini-review?

[spoiler=Video I reserve for moments like this][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGHeQw49ws[/media][/spoiler]

Thanks for that, I really do appreciate any and all comments. Glad you're enjoying it; its been hard work but happy that a few people have stuck at it and its coming across well.

Compared to the duels in my previous fic they've improved a lot, in Armageddon they were really drawn out and everyone was having to use silly unreleased +1's all the time. With Synchro's, I probably should have got more in because I've put some staple Xyz in different decks (although mostly one monster is unique to one duelist) but haven't looked at them for some reason. Dunno why, just freshness I suppose. Synchro's, especially Natsumi's and a few others, will make a greater impact later. In terms of new decks, there are still five known characters who duel but haven't yet. I wonder who'll use what?

Regarding Numbers, we've seen.... what, eighteen of them now? It is nice when they just drop into place (for instance Machu Mach was released the week I wrote Jin vs Kafziel, and was exactly the card I needed and didn't have.) Obviously juggling the few remaining is becoming a real issue now. I've had to move a few around from their original slots, and there are still (not saying who) one or two major duelists who must have Numbers but currently haven't got one assigned to them. :( Working on it.

Thanks again for comment, new chapter should be out soon....

Some of those predictions I promised, then? (Provided any of the characters I guess on duel)
[spoiler='Spoilered because of semi-spoilers']Let's see here…
I have a feeling Asami might use Verz, mainly due to the contrast with Clarissa. Gimmick Puppet is another possibility.
Evos… either Photons or Evols. Evol goes well with his name, as well as thematically. Photon because, well, he's a scientist.
[/spoiler]

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1340746198' post='5962788']
Some of those predictions I promised, then? (Provided any of the characters I guess on duel)
[spoiler='Spoilered because of semi-spoilers']Let's see here…
I have a feeling Asami might use Verz, mainly due to the contrast with Clarissa. Gimmick Puppet is another possibility.
Evos… either Photons or Evols. Evol goes well with his name, as well as thematically. Photon because, well, he's a scientist.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Interesting. You've only made two predictions rather than five, but yes they both duel, as do everyone else whose been seen to wander around with a D-Disk up to this point. If you want to make more predictions feel free. But yes, Evos is an obvious one. He was meant to be as an indicater from the start the sort of decks that would be used (and because I literally couldn't think of a better name, but eh). I'll give you that one since he appears in duel action quite soon.

In the meantime (after a really long time of editing), lots of duel action as we kick off this week, as Sakura makes her (highly anticapted?) return. There is a slight card edit in here, but the situation was just too good...

[spoiler=Chapter 16:1][b]The following takes place between 12AM and 1AM.[/b]

The two girls stood staring intently at each other through the gloom of the small jungle clearing, without heed of the strange noises or watching eyes around them. The only things that existed right now were each other. The innocent young girl glaring up at her with such hatred. The leather clad woman smirking back at her with such contempt.

“So Miss Nakashima, we just keep running into each other” Clarissa drawled devilishly. “Somehow, I didn’t think I’d seen the last of you when your daddy had you locked away. You looked like such a good little girl too; certainly not the type to defy him. But something about you nagged me despite that. After all, if you could infiltrate the secret service building, I can’t imagine slipping out of its holding cells was too difficult for you. Not if you wanted something here so desperately, and had the tools to help you get it...” Her dark eyes flashed at the girls growing frustration. “Now I wonder what those things might be...”

“Looks can be deceiving” Sakura retorted. “I just got a lucky chance to come back. But now I’m here, and I’ve found you, I’m going to take full advantage of it. I want you to tell me something. What happened to my boyfriend, and all the other people that are in comas because of you? How do I help them recover?”

“Oh? Is that really all you came for?” Clarissa smiled more broadly. “Well then you’re going to disappointed, I don’t see how you can expect me to be able to know that. When someone falls into a coma, they can only recover in their own time.”

“I expect you to know because you’re the one who put them all in that state!” Sakura shouted back. “You’re the one who turned those poor people into those horrors, who had them attack all those people knowing what would happen. Wanting it to happen, and throwing the city into chaos to make your demands. It’s your fault Murtagh got the setup he did. How could you do this? Don’t you care at all about what you’ve done to all the families you’ve hurt; sitting at the bedsides of their children or siblings, watching them lie there and not knowing when they will wake up?”

“Of course I don’t care” Clarissa snapped. “After everything I’ve gone through, I’ve learnt not to care about anyone except me, Wilhelm, and my daughter Kaneko. You remember her right? She’s the reason I’ve done this. My demands were irrelevant, all I wanted was to rescue her and take her away from this. Why should I care about people like your boyfriend, especially when they ignorantly pump their money into the pockets of an organization like Real Duel? Just consider yourself lucky I did care enough to only tamper with the VDS a little to have my army’s victims fall unconscious for long enough to achieve my goal, Murtagh has been a lot less considerate. At least in a coma he’s safe from him and the virtual world of his creation, you don’t have to worry about him losing again now...”

“Don’t talk about Yudai like that! He only lost... and he... because he was trying to protect me...”

“Oh how sweet” Clarissa mocked as Sakura’s voice trailed off. “Look, now you know alright? Your boyfriend, this Yudai, he will recover eventually. Could be an hour or two, maybe a day or two, or he might already be awake and wondering why you aren’t by his bedside. Maybe you should run off and be with him again? This isn’t a safe place for someone like you to be. You have no place here, and I have more important things to do than deal with you.”

“Wait, I’m not finished with you.” Clarissa didn’t seem to agree with her on that as she turned to leave. She had to stop her somehow, but the only way she could think to do so was to do something she wouldn’t have considered rational a few hours ago. It was more something that Yudai would probably do. Desperately, she activated her D-Disk and took up an aggressive battle pose, looking much more impressive in her fine armour than she felt. “Duel me!”

Clarissa looked back at her with an amazed expression, making her feel uncomfortable but still she remained firm in her stance and gaze, not relenting, willing her into accepting. She had come all this way to find this woman, for answers which she had given. But she was just so smug, so careless, just seeing her there and listening to her made her mad. “You might be stronger than me, but I won’t just let you get away with what you’ve done and dismiss it so carelessly. I’ll even give you my Number card if you beat me. You want them right? So come on, fight me.” The pause went on; broken only by the cries and growls of the beasts of the forest. Finally Clarissa smiled, and Sakura prepared herself for battle.

“... no.”

“What...?” Now Sakura was stunned as Clarissa just stood there and shook her head. “Well... why not?”

“Because like I said, I have more important things to do than wipe the floor with amateurs like you” she answered with a confident smile. “Even as we speak my daughter is being hunted down by a maniac, and I need to find them. Besides, you don’t seem to understand the severity of what is going on in here, and what will happen to you when I crush you. Your Yudai’s mind collapsed after a minor overload. That was just a tiny jab compared to what will happen to you if you duelled me now. I don’t think killing the prime minister’s precious little daughter will do me any favours...”

Still laughing at her, Clarissa started to walk away from the girl, leaving her head bowed and shaking. She had rejected her just like that; like she was nothing and what she had put her through didn’t matter at all. Unable to bear it anymore, she let everything out.

“How can you be here? You’re not sorry at all for what you’ve done. Everything that’s happened today; Yudai, the RDL Building, all the fighting today, it’s all your fault! You should be locked away forever for what you’ve done, yet you are walking freely around here and try to justify your actions? You can’t be trusted. You might have tricked the others somehow, but I know you’re going to betray them and endanger everyone again! I know you are! Murtagh might be bad news, but you’re worse!”

She was red in the face from shouting. Her entire body was shaking with rage, and trying to recover breath into her lungs. Clarissa had stopped as she shouted and listened without interruption until she’d finished. She did not turn to face her, but when she spoke her voice was quivering in her own anger. “You... need to watch your mouth, you naive brat! You have no idea of anything. I am not walking freely; I have to work in alliance with your government to stop Murtagh. I detest the idea of being used like this, but as long as my daughter is safe, I’m mature enough to handle that. That is all that matters to me, but I will not and have never endangered lives of others on a whim just for my gain. Only those who had to pay for their sins have been willingly bloodied, everyone else I kept as safe as I possibly could. Murtagh meanwhile hunts and wants to use an innocent little girl for his ambition and destroys lives for fun. Don’t you [i]dare[/i] compare me to him! I suggest you leave now.”

Having had enough of this, Clarissa selected a new destination from her D-Gazer menu, barely seeing what she had picked, and walked towards the gateway that opened behind her. Desperate to stop her, Sakura took off and charged at her, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her away. “No! I won’t let you get away. You have to face me, you have to! You... you heartless coward...”

She didn’t see the back of Clarissa’s fist smash into the side of her head, but she certainly felt it as it knocked her down. The warp portal behind Clarissa vanished as she walked towards her, arming her D-Disk and lifting her up by the low neckline of her shirt. “You... need to be a taught a lesson... brat” she whispered. “You know nothing about me. But I can show you if you so desire it. Who I am... and just how far in over your pretty empty head you are.”

Struggling out her grasp, Sakura staggered backwards and gathered herself, activating her D-Gazer’s ARV link. Clarissa had let her go and did the same thing in a much more composed manner to her scramble, taking her stance as the twisted branches and shrubs rippled slightly as the ARV wall formed around them with their stats displayed either side. Both drew their opening hands, one in anger and one in serene confidence as their D-Gazer’s flashed.

[i]‘ARV link established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

“I’ll go first. Try to keep up newbie” Clarissa declared as she drew her sixth card. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Sting"]Inverz Sharp[/url] to the field.” A black wasp burst through the portal opened above her, jabbing its elongated stinger at her provokingly (Lv4, ATK 1850).

“Next I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Double_Summon"]Dual Summon[/url]. As I’m sure even the simplest new duelist would know; a player can only normal summon once during each of their turns. But by using this magic, I can do so one additional time. So I’m going to use it to join Sharp with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Caller"]Inverz Caller[/url]." Another dark insect like creature made Sakura shudder inside enough with its appearance alone, before she even noticed its stats (Lv4, ATK 1700). Clarissa found her look amusing. “Do you understand where I’m going with this girl?”

“Two monsters with the same level.... You’re going to Xyz summon right?” A horrible thought suddenly grabbed her by the heart. [i]‘Is she going to summon a Number?’[/i]

“Ooh, you learned quickly against my drones. Well since you’ve suggested it, I will overlay my level four monsters to Xyz summon!” As the two insects energies plunged into the vortex, Sakura was suddenly afraid. Something bad was coming; Clarissa was going to summon a Number on her first turn against her. She was going to use it to attack her just like her drones did, as another insect like creature rose and unfurled its wings from under the protection of the gold and black spike covered shell, unsheathing a thin rapier and buzzing loudly as it hit the forest floor. “Fear the swarm, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Roach"]Inverz Roach[/url]!"

Sakura gasped as he looked over the creature to make sure, convinced she hadn’t heard right. But there was no sign of a mark on it or Clarissa anywhere, just another Inverz like the others, a... regular monster? (Rk4, ATK 1900) “Wait, so you didn’t summon a Number?”

“Ha ha ha, like I need a Number to defeat you!” Clarissa laughed. [i]‘And believe me little girl, it will be better for the both of us if I don’t.’[/i] “Roach will be easily enough. I’ll end my turn with a face down.”

“Alright, here I come. Draw!” As she took her own card, Sakura knew she would have to get it together quickly and duel to her best to stand a chance. That cockroach looked weak, but Clarissa had summoned it because she believed it would beat her. It must have something up its sleeve. With this in mind, she looked at her card. [i]‘Photon Lead. This card lets me special summon a level four or lower light monster from my hand. In my hand are Priest of the Sun, which is level five, Sacred Kaust, and two copies of another monster called Daybreaker. I could special summon that and then... when Daybreaker is special summoned, its effect activates and summons another one from my hand...’[/i] Sudden realisation hit hard as the combination dawned on her. [i]‘Wait a minute, if I use these cards, I could summon Shock Ruler...’[/i]

Looking at the pack of cards that made up her extra deck, memories of the last time she had been on a duel field with her Number monster swam in front of her. Then she was fighting against it, but watching it charge Yudai over again; sending him flying over her into the Sky Sanctuary temple pillar, it looming over her as she wept, it was all still just as terrifying. The monster had been her possession for several hours since then, but the thought of actually summoning it in battle and using its power was not something she’d thought about, and now she could, it was a daunting and horrifying prospect. That she could was one thing, but whether she should was another. [i]‘The Numbers are strong, but they alter their duelist’s mindset. If I let Shock Ruler loose, what would happen? Would I become a mindless hunter like those angels? After what this thing did to Yudai... do I really want to control it in battle... oh god...’[/i]

“I’m waiting Sakura.” Blinking, she hadn’t noticed how long she had stood paralyzed looking at her hand, making Clarissa wait for her. “After all your big talk, suddenly you don’t seem so confident. What’s the matter, are you starting to realise how foolish you are? Is your little temper starting to give in to fear? If you’re afraid of something as harmless as Inverz Roach, then you know you shouldn’t be here.”

“I’ll show you! I...” Sakura picked out the magic card, but stopped at the last second. [i]‘Oh god what am I thinking? I can’t use Shock Ruler. Yeah it got me this far, but to use it in battle and make it attack someone; even against Clarissa, it might take me over. Letting its destructive power free, the same force that destroyed Yudai, I... can’t do it. I will stick with the Sacred.’[/i]

“Right, because you control monsters and I don’t, I’ll start by summoning [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Oracle_of_the_Sun"]Priest of the Sun[/url]." An Incan high chieftain in ceremonial dress and armed with staff appeared before her (Lv5, ATK 1000). Not that Clarissa was too bothered.

“Ha, going for a rank five like Pleiades are you? Or something else maybe.” Sakura gulped as Clarissa saw right through her, as the roach suddenly lunged towards the priest with its sword drawn. “Either way, like I’m going to let you get it. When a level five or high monster is special summoned, Inverz Roach’s effect activates! By detaching an overlay unit, it negates that monsters summon and destroys it!”

The priest fell backwards as it heart was skewered by the sword, disappearing in a million pixels before it hit the earth. Sakura couldn’t stop herself from ducking from the graphic and the force it projected, but still tried to remain calm. [i]‘Damn, I didn’t need to lose that monster. But at least I know Roach’s effect now. It’s still weak against regular monsters. I am not summoning Shock Ruler. I will beat her without its help.’[/i] “I normal summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Constellar_Kaust"]Sacred Kaust[/url] to the field!”

The archer of the Sacred star knights appeared next; a lithe warrior clad in fine white armour and cape and bearing a magnificent golden bow drawn and aimed at the cockroach (Lv4, ATK 1800). “Next I equip Kaust with the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fighting_Spirit"]Fighting Spirit[/url], which increases its attack points by three hundred for every monster you control, putting it over your bug (ATK 2100). Now squash it Kaust!”

Kaust fired, but to her horror Clarissa immediately countered again. “Hopeless. You think I wouldn’t allow for Roach’s lack of strength? I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Infestation_Tool"]Means of the Invasion[/url]. By sending an Inverz from my deck to the cemetery, I can have Roach gain eight hundred attack points!” Sakura gasped as Kaust’s shot deflected harmlessly off of the Roach’s hardened shell and it came charging for the counter (ATK 2700). Before Kaust could reload, Roach had cut through him. As it did, Sakura cried out as she felt pain engulf her mind, like the blade had run through her mind (LP 3400). Clarissa was unsympathetic to her pain.

“Your skills are even more pathetic than your childish ideals. You came all the way here to fight me, yet you think you can do so by holding something back. Are you trying to insult me?”

“When... by sending Fighting Spirit to the cemetery, Kaust survives this battle” Sakura mumbled weakly as she tried to recover, looking desperately at her remaining cards. Plans A and B had failed miserably, if she didn’t do something now... [i]‘I’ve got no traps to protect myself with. Roach would easily destroy Kaust next turn, and then I’d be open for a direct attack from something much bigger. I’d...’[/i] She cried as something pulsed in the back of her head, leading her to the only way out. [i]‘I... I’ve got no choice. I have to bring him out. If I don’t, Clarissa will.... oh god... this is it. Yudai, I’m so sorry... I have to...’[/i]

“I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Photon_Lead"]Photon Lead[/url]. This special summons a level four light monster from my hand.” A gallant looking knight who might easily have been mistaken for a Sacred on appearance in his white armour and red cape, hit the field and brandished its sword (Lv4, ATK 1700). “Then when one [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Daybreaker"]Daybreaker[/url] is special summoned, it can call on another one from my hand. Now I overlay my three level four monsters! Xyz summon!” Sakura gulped and clutched her heart as the violet cubic seal of the Number rose up, slowly opening to let out the awkward shaped fairy within it. All the time the pounding in her head was getting worse until the stone faced creatures fully formed, as the numbers appeared on her wrist and glowed brightly through her gauntlet. “I summon... Number 16...
[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_16%3A_Shock_Master"]Ruler of Colour: Shock Ruler[/url]!"

“So, you finally found the guts to summon your Number” Clarissa smirked as she watched Sakura keel over slightly, clutching and looking at her with a slightly out of focus look. “Or you just realised how desperately outmatched you are without it. Don’t worry, the stress your experiencing now takes a little getting used to, but in time you’ll learn to control it and stop it controlling you. Now do I take it from your silence that you’re going to end your turn here?” Sakura didn’t really respond, still struggling with the pressure Shock Ruler was putting on her. “Alright, I’ll take that as a go ahead. My draw!”

As she studied her hand and drawn card, but Clarissa’s dark eyes flashed with a wicked glint. “I’ve just thought of something that might be fun. You think you know me little girl? How about I show you... no, more than that... I’ll make you feel what it is like to be me. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tour_Guide_from_the_Underworld"]Tour Guide from Hell[/url]!"

The pink haired conductor appeared with a playful wink, disguising is devastating effect. (Lv3, ATK 1000). “She might look cute, but remember she is from hell and comes with a dark side. When Tour Guide is summoned she brings out a friend, or rather a fiend, from my deck that is level three.” Sakura watched a small roach creature with a [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Sentinel"]laser eye[/url] appear at the feet of the tour girl, before the two plunged into a starry vortex. Clarissa began to chuckle as the marks appeared on her hip, before a giant fist punched its way out in front of her. “Rise, the embodiment of my pain. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_30:_Acid_Golem_of_Destruction"]Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction[/url]!"

“Three thousand attack points!” Sakura gasped as the golem stooped against the tree line, leering down at her and the comparatively tiny Shock Ruler with dead eyes (Rk3, ATK 3000). “... I can’t stop that.”

“You’re worried about what will happen if Acid Golem attacks you, aren’t you?” Clarissa asked sweetly. “You understand what will happen if it unleashes its devastating attack on you, when you no longer have Shock Ruler to protect you? [i]‘Good, then you might gain some sense clueless girl.’[/i] “Because I now control two Xyz monsters, I can activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Gift"]Xyz Gift[/url]. By detaching two overlay units from Acid Golem, I can draw two new cards. Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mystic_Box"]Magical Box of Death[/url]!"

“Magic Box of Death?” Sakura asked, as both Numbers disappeared behind two large magicians boxes. To her astonishment, several swords appeared around each box and plunged into them, vanishing after a moment. As they did so, the pressure she had been under started to alleviate slightly... then cried out as it doubled in ferocity as a whole new sensation. To her horror, the Number 16 disappeared from her wrist, and was replaced by a new mark on her side. “What... the hell... have you done?” Clarissa didn’t answer for a start, just watching her with an amused look. On her hip, her Number mark had also gone.

“Magic Box of Death targets two monsters on the field. The monster you had is destroyed, but don’t worry, because you then get a stronger one to replace it with.” A terrible roar came from Sakura’s box before it burst open; to her horror revealing the giant appearing on her side of the field. “Since we’re getting acquainted, you should get to know my Acid Golem. I set one card face down and end my turn.”

“I don’t ... why would you give me your Number?” Speech was difficult; the pressure this behemoth put on her was so immense compared to Shock Ruler. Struggling to see clearly, she had to grope at her deck to draw, and as she did so, the golem turned to her with a deathly stare. “It hurts. It hurts so much.”

“During you standby phase, the effect of Acid Golem demands that it has an overlay unit detached from it.” Sakura could barely hear Clarissa as the golem advanced towards her with heavy footsteps, reaching down to her paralyzed form and wrapping its thick fingers around her. “If it just so happens there isn’t one to detach, you take two thousand points of damage! Now you will understand for yourself by feeling for just a moment what drives me on every second. Feel my pain!”

Sakura’s scream was drowned out by Acid Golem’s hellacious roar, as it released its poisonous vapour. The overwhelming force on her was all consuming. Crushing pain and total darkness. She passed out.

...00:10:13...

Watching a small radar screen through his D-Gazer do absolutely nothing... again, Wilhelm scowled and rolled across the bright and fruity scenery of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Chateau"]Madolche Château[/url]. A mansion built entirely from cakes and other confectionaries, his odd couple partner was standing on the other side of the inner courtyard using a similar program on his D-Gazer. Doctor Zielinski had managed at last to recover or obtain some of Kaneko’s DNA makeup, and created a scanning app for their D-Gazers that could hone in on anyone it sensed with a match within a wide range. Having received this and a few other things that could hopefully locate the girl, Wilhelm had felt a small sense of hope that one of them would work, but fifteen minutes of non-success had extinguished that. His mood was not helped by his dunderheaded partner deciding to use them here, purely on the logic that ‘all young girls like cake; she’s probably been there a lot in the past’. Hopefully, Rokuro would be feeling pretty stupid by now as he approached.

“Creamy puff... minister?”

Rokuro scowled and closed down his search app as Wilhelm offered him a nearby desert, pulling his long hair out of his face and blowing. “Cut out the sarcasm, it was a logical idea.”

“Yes, because when you’re being hunted down... by a maniac, the first thing on your mind... is stuffing yourself with chocolate éclairs” Wilhelm scoffed. “I don’t know why you assume she’d ever take fancy to this place. She’s not a normal little girl remember, she hasn’t had the same influences as others...”

“Bah, where do you suggest we go then?” Wilhelm was silent under his gaze for a moment. Frustrated, Rokuro stomped towards an exit. “I thought not, you don’t know her any better. And you’re her uncle...”

“Yes I am... but an uncle whose never met his niece before” the young man snapped. “Not like you I’d bet. You have quite a big cosy family don’t you, who you get to visit and spend time with whenever you want to. Every day when you come home from work you get to see your kids, don’t you minister?”

Rokuro stopped and leant against one of the candy cane archways leading through the chateau grounds, head bowed and solemn. “Wrong.... I have only a little family that I keep in contact with... if you could call it that. But I don’t see them... not as much as I want to.”

“Yeah... er... I didn’t ask that because I cared” Wilhelm muttered as he rolled up behind the defence minister. “Although... now we’re on the subject, I haven’t bothered you about your decision... to fight in the front lines of the VDS... for a while have I?”

“Not this again.”

“Oh yes this again” Wilhelm beamed. Immediately the minister walked off across the courtyard, but the cripple remained in pursuit. “So who did our duel drones comatose then? Son? Daughter? No, you’d be with them in hospital. Something more scandalous you want to cover up? Underage lover maybe? Come on, you must be hiding something dirty. You’re in government, it’s your job.”

“Keep bothering me about this and I’ll have Baron pull you and Clarissa out of this mission...”

“And then you’ll be neglecting your duty as defence minister by jeopardising the mission and putting the country in danger...” Rokuro scowled in annoyance, but still he didn’t look like giving answers any time soon. “You want to know... what I think we should do? I think we... should change tactics.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I rather doubt we’re going to find Kaneko in a regular area of the VDS accessible to all users. More likely she’s got her own place to hide, somewhere safe for her. Either we try and find that place... unlikely we’d succeed... or we go for the heart of the problem...” His smirk broadened as he looked towards the wheelchairs D-Arm, and Rokuro’s heavy D-Disk. “We go after Murtagh and his associates... and take them out. When she realises they are gone, Kaneko will come out. Maybe... even appear to us to... thank us for helping her. What do you say minister? Feel confident about your duel skills? You able to get your own hands dirty?” Rokuro studied his D-Disk with a hard expression; considering it.

[i]“Why search for your opponents, when they can come to you?”[/i]

Both men almost jumped in shock as a voice sounded out from the main archway behind them. Marching under the portcullis were two figures who they each recognised; a tall American man in a red jumper and smart trousers, looking at them with a belittling amusement, and a more petite woman in a thick biker jacket close behind him who looked more guarded. Both were armed with D-Disks.

“Evos...”

“Izura!”

“So, that was quite a Houdini act you pulled at the RDL Building Wilhelm” Evos continued, whilst Izura mutely nodded to her former associate. “I couldn’t quite believe it when I’d heard you were still alive. But then again, living past your life expectancy is something you seem to have a habit of doing. That will not be continuing.”

“I hope you’re brushed up on your game minister...” Wilhelm whispered. Rokuro gave him a small nod as he armed his D-Disk. Well, as long as he was halfway competent to hold his own, that would suffice enough. He could do the rest. “Alright... well this saves us the trouble of looking for you... Say your prayers Evos... and have a good look at your final burial grounds...”

Suddenly, Evos seemed to buckle under the simple threat as if he was no longer keen on the idea, his D-Disk disengaged as he backed away. “Well actually, when you say that, maybe I shouldn’t duel you.”

“Too late now” Rokuro scowled and advanced towards the retreating doctor. “Bring it on!” Still the doctor backed away; there was something about that look Rokuro didn’t like...

“I don’t think so” Evos shrugged, flicking his gaze to something past Rokuro’s shoulder. Instinctively spinning, the minister gulped as he saw another man and woman jump Wilhelm from behind and grab the startled cripple, the woman shooting him a pretty vicious smirk before a warp portal opened behind them and pulled them and the thrashing Wilhelm in. The look on Wilhelm’s face as he disappeared, the surprised fear, sent chills through him. Desperate he turned to fight the decoys, but found himself facing only a wall of sponge cake instead. All of them had gone; ambush and capture a complete success.

...00:14:35...

Passing through another random warp portal, Murtagh scanned the barren horizon of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mystic_Plasma_Zone"]Dark Zone[/url] with distain. Kaneko had long disappeared without a trace, having run and hid in whatever safe area that blasted Orion had created for her. How he would force his way into such a place he had no idea, but she wasn’t the objective of his search now. If he couldn’t force his way in, he could definitely force her out, as a lost looking child wandered across the dead lands ahead of him.

“Are you watching?” Murtagh smiled at the stormy sky above him, before running towards the young boy walking through the thunderstorm. “Hey kid! Duel me!”

Instinctively the boy turned and ran as soon as he realised this scary looking man with the dragon wing D-Disk was running towards him. Not that this was going to bother Murtagh, who in one sweeping movement launched his own D-Anchor from the wing which slammed into the boys disk. Raising the ARV wall around them, Murtagh laughed at the boys struggle. “Forget it kid. You can’t escape, unless... someone was to appear and rescue you” he shouted at the sky. “...like right now.”

Only the rain and the thunder replied to him, as the small boy continued to quiver before him. “All right then, just as long as you remember that you could have stopped me.”

In her starry realm unattached to the VDS fields, Kaneko sat curled up in a tight ball and rocking slightly, tears streaming down her face as she watched the display in front of her as the poor boy summoned a D.D Telepon in attack mode, followed by a face down. She already knew what was coming, but she couldn’t tear her eyes away. Nor could she intervene, not after her sensei’s sacrifice to keep her safe. She wasn’t strong enough to stop Murtagh and he wouldn’t spare the boy anyway. All she could do was watch as Murtagh destroyed the face down, before proceeding to bring out Eclipse Wyvern, God Dragon Apocalypse and Dragorado, and use them to summon his new tool, and her possessed friend. The look on the face of the poor boy when faced with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_32:_Shark_Drake"]Shark Drake[/url] would surely haunt her forever, as might the cries of pain when its dark breath obliterated his small monster.

“Now Shark Drake’s effect activates!” roared Murtagh maliciously. “By detaching an overlay unit, your pathetic monster is revived with its attack lowered by one thousand. Then Shark Drake can attack it again!” Once more Shark Drake obliterated the monster, with such force to send the duelist flying backwards a few dozen feet and land in a tangled heap. He did not move further. “You can see this Kaneko! I will make everyone suffer until you give yourself up! Do you want that? Come out already!”

Kaneko watched and listened to him rant and shout for a few more moments before he warped to another area, leaving her to cry where only the stars could hear her.

...00:16:22...

Clarissa: LP 4000, Hand 1, Field of Inverz Roach and a face down
Sakura: LP 1400, Hand 1, Field of Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction

Groaning in pain, Sakura struggled to sit up. Around her the already dark backdrop of Closed Forest came back into some vague focus, but what was clear to see was that accursed golem still looming over her. Pushing herself upright, she noticed Clarissa had selected a fallen log and was sat daintily on it with her arms and legs crossed, watching her with a wicked smile.

“I had considered just leaving you here, but then I would probably get into even more trouble with your daddy and his cronies” she explained as Sakura winced and fell backwards again. “I could do without them hassling me right now, and the same goes with you. Do you understand, now you’ve felt my pain for yourself? How much it hurts every moment, yet I keep going? You don’t have to keep carrying such pain though. You are free to give up and leave, now that you understand me and how you have no place here. Run away back to your family and your boyfriend, and leave the fighting to those who actually stand a chance of winning.”

“I...” Sakura needed a few breathes before she could speak. The initial wave of pressure Acid Golem had put on her had lessened a little now, having released its poisonous effect maybe, but it was still a heavy weight to carry. The feeling it put on, it was different to Shock Ruler. Her Number, just looking at it or holding it, made her feel sorrowful. This monster made her ache and suffer. “You... carry this pain all the time...? I... can’t stand it.”

“Of course you can’t” Clarissa smiled. “I can barely cope myself sometimes. But I take my anger and pain and make it spur me on, to achieve what I need to end pain. Meaning once I am reunited with my daughter who was taken away from me, I will be free and at peace again. You are a pampered little child whose life is perfect, of course you can’t cope with the hardship and pain when it comes your way.”

“My life isn’t perfect...” Sakura growled back. “Not after you robbed me of the biggest part in it!”

“Ha ha, such devotion, I hope your boyfriend appreciates your love for him. But if you think you can compare your short loss of him with mine of my daughter, you are even more naive than I thought. Now come on darling, stop being such an impetuous little horror and give up. There’s no shame in admitting defeat to me, certainly better than continuing to fight blindly and killing yourself in the process.”

“Bah, to hell with you! If you hadn’t noticed, I’ve got Acid Golem now who is far stronger than your monster. I can use your own Number to send you there, and make you pay...”

“Actually, you can’t” Clarissa simply stated, chuckling at Sakura’s bewildered look. “You think I would be so careless as to give you something that would help you? You see when it has no overlay units; Acid Golem cannot attack at all. Also, it prevents the special summon of any other monsters. I can get around all this pretty easily with my Inverz, but all you have is one heavy chain wrapped around you, locking you up and slowly draining away all your strength. You only have one other card left, you can’t possibly win.” Gulping, Sakura read the effect on Acid Golems card that appeared on her D-Disk panel and her heart sank. Everything Clarissa said was true. “It’s hopeless, just as much as you are. Now give up, little girl.”

[i]‘She’s right, there’s nothing I can do. Everything I’ve done has just blown up in my face. It cost Yudai who gave himself to protect me, and in my desperation to help him recover I’ve just screwed up more people like dad and the others here. Why did I think I could do this? Because I wanted to help Yudai, or was it because I wanted revenge against Clarissa? I don’t even know anymore, I’m not sure what are my feelings and thoughts and what are the influences of these cursed cards trying to control me. How can they all do this?’[/i] Looking up at the golem towering over her, trapping her and pulling her into the dark abyss, it just filled her with despair. There was only one thing she could do. [i]‘I’m sorry Yudai, I failed...’[/i]

Slowly, she went to place the card she had drawn back on top of her deck; the trigger for forfeiting the match. Clarissa sat there patiently waiting for her, smiling victoriously as she watched. [i]‘Good girl, you’ve learnt your lesson, now just give up and go without me having to hurt you.’ [/i]As she went to stack the card, Sakura caught its image only by chance, and it made her freeze and look at it again.

[i]‘Aurora Draw?’[/i] That image, of a supernatural veil of lights across the starry night sky, made something resonate somewhere. A memory from years ago, of a night on the outskirts of the city. [i]‘I went out to a party on the edge of town with Yudai, our first outing as a couple. It was an awkward night, but then when we left we saw an aurora like this created by the city lights, it looked so beautiful mixed with the stars. He told me it was the second most beautiful thing he’d ever seen... after me. I was embarrassed, but I remember being so touched by that. He was always so boisterous, so for him to say something serious like that with such feeling, it was like a whole different side of him. Is this card... a message?’[/i]

“I won’t give up. I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora_Draw"]Aurora Draw[/url] magic card.” Clarissa blinked in disbelief as Sakura stopped herself stacking millimetres from pushing the card back into her deck, before pulling it back and slotting it into the blade to play on. “Because I have no other cards in my hand, I can draw two more.” This was a start, but the two cards would have to be perfect. Studying them hard, Sakura looked for a way out. “Next I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Overlay_Regenerate"]Overlay Regenerate[/url] magic card, which becomes an overlay unit for Acid Golem. And you know what that means...”

“You’ve got to be kidding? There’s no way” Clarissa leapt up as the behemoth roared, reawakened and very, very angry. Behind it, Sakura was stood tall and reborn, mirroring the smirk she herself had lost.

“Oh yes way. With an overlay unit attached, Acid Golem’s chains have been cut away, and all of its crippling effects have gone away with them. All its restrictions on me are nullified. I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Reborn"]Raise Dead[/url] magic card; to special summon a monster from my cemetery. Come back, Shock Ruler!”

The forest floor exploded as the mighty fairy burst through the earth, its mark returning to Sakura’s wrist with its power restored. “Now Acid Golem is free to flatten that roach once and for all, and give you a taste of your own pain.” The roach was instantly crushed by the golem’s huge punch, leaving only a crater in the earth and Clarissa staggering backwards (LP 2900). “Now Shock Ruler, make her feel my pain! Direct attack!” The fairy charged, ripping up the earth with its wings and slamming its side into Clarissa. The force threw her backwards into a large tree with a resounding smash, leaving her lying against it in a crumpled heap (LP 600). “Now that you understand, you can give up if you want?”

Snarling and shaking, Clarissa managed to push herself to a very battered stance. Her pristine look and immaculate hair had gone, giving her a wild look as she stared back at Sakura with reinforced hatred. Snatching at her card, her eyes narrowed at the result.

“Playtime... is over...” Her voice quivered slightly as she spoke. “You don’t get it, you stupid... naive... brat! I will never give up to anyone, least of all you. I activate my trap card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Infestation_Ripples"]Invasive Ripple[/url]. By paying five hundred life points, this summons a level four or lower Inverz from my cemetery. I choose the monster I milled with Means of the Invasion, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Genome"]Inverz All Purpose Form[/url]. Clarissa shuddered as her life points dropped to the brink (LP 100), whilst in front of her a small black creature that looked like it was in a cocoon rose up (Lv2, ATK 1000). “Now I will release Inverz All Purpose Form and its effect becomes a factor. This means it can be used as two tributes for the advance summoning of an Inverz monster! Letting me call out one of my strongest monsters. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Caucastag"]Inverz Gasath[/url]!"

The cocoon like monster split into two in painful fashion, releasing a gas from which a portal opened for a more terrible creature. A giant scorpion with a jet black body covered in spiked armour, swinging its tail like a club as it hit the ground with a thud and hissed at Sakura. It was strong, but she might still have a chance (Lv8, ATK 2800). However Clarissa looked eerily sure of herself as she held her drawn card. “Gasath can’t activate its effect when summoned using All Purpose, but that’s fine. I prefer this way. Because I advance summoned, I can now special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Illusion_Snatch"]Illusion Snatch[/url]."

Sakura froze as a horrible skeletal creature rose up beside the scorpion (Lv8, ATK 2400). “When summoned this way, Illusion Snatch’s level becomes equal to the monster I advanced summoned. Now I can use them both to overlay level eight, and Xyz Summon!” This vortex erupted with such power that Sakura couldn’t help but back away, watching in horror at the coffin shaped seal that rose out of the vortex. Below it, Clarissa was stood with her long hair flying around from the energy thrown by the vortex, grinning maliciously as a second Number appeared on her chest, matching the number on the cloak of the giant mummified zombie coming out of the seal. “Suffer! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_22:_Fran_Ken"]Number 22: Fran Ken[/url]!"

So terrified by the sight and power of this huge creature, Sakura stumbled backwards as it started to advance towards her with a hand reaching out towards Acid Golem (Rk8, ATK 4500). “That thing has forty five hundred attack points!? That’s insane!”

“That’s how it is. Fran Ken, the reflection of the dark side of Kaneko’s immense power. Now to put it to use.” Fran Ken was on top of her, there was nowhere to escape. Sakura closed her eyes and screamed. A monster this powerful, who knew what it would do as Clarissa cried out “Game over, little...”

Suddenly she broke off. Trembling but unsure what had happened; Sakura opened her eyes a little and saw everything had stopped. Fran Ken, which had been advancing to the slightly taller golem, had frozen in its tracks. Behind it, Clarissa was stood very rigid, her deranged glee replaced with a look of sudden, complete terror. Her D-Gazer was ringing. [i]‘Incoming call, Rokuro...’[/i]

“They found us...” she whispered, looking at Sakura in panic. “If they pull me out because of this... because of fighting you... I will...” Still the D-Gazer rang.

“Don’t... say... a word. Hello?”

Whatever minister Rokuro said, it clearly wasn’t good. But Clarissa’s fear was ebbing away; maybe they hadn’t noticed what was going on. Instead, her expression changed to incredible anger. “What?! How could you let that happen? Why can’t you rescue him?” she suddenly demanded, making Sakura jump. The call was disconnected very quickly after that, but it didn’t take long for Clarissa to round on her.

“Well I hope you’re happy!” she demanded. “While I’ve been fighting you, Hideo’s friend’s ignorance has meant my brother has fallen into the clutches of Murtagh’s allies! All this time I’ve wasted on trying to show you how stupid you are, and trying not to kill you...”

“What? I don’t...”

“Understand? I’m sick of you not understanding! Well let me spell it out for you Sakura. I couldn’t let you wander around her and jeopardise everything, or turn your forces against me. I had to protect you, until I made you realise how you shouldn’t be here and left! By making you summon your Number, and giving you my own, it was the only way to ensure I defeated you and keep your protected through their power. Even Acid Golem wouldn’t have let you die. But because of you distracting me, my only family is now... just... damn it! You’re a jinx on everything, just stay out of this!”

With one last hateful stare Clarissa vanished into the portal to a cake filled land behind her. Fran Ken, Acid Golem and Shock Ruler all disappeared as the duel disconnected, leaving Sakura alone in the forest. Trembling slightly, she picked up Shock Rulers card from her D-Disk, fell to her knees and into despair.

...00:23:41...

The aurora in the night sky cast a magical radiance over the cold northern mountains of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nordic_Lights"]Polar Star Radiance[/url], as Natsumi and Hunter tore along the mountain trail. Following Methuselah’s guidance they had come to search for the gate that would lead them to Kaneko, but so far the task had been fraught with difficulty. They didn’t know if it was because this place was a link to Kaneko, but warping into this area was limited, forcing them to drive in from the next area. Their D-Gazer’s communication link also seemed to be scrambled, a little too authentically for Hunters liking as he tried to inform the others of their lead. Natsumi was less worried; she was thinking more about the last words Methuselah had left her with in his recorded message, and the details of the conversation Hunter had bought up afterwards.

“You ever seen a gate around this place before?” Natsumi didn’t realise at first that Hunter pulled alongside and addressed her as they entered another small gorge in the mountainside. “Your Methuselah never hinted about it before at all or where we might find it? Not even the smallest hint?”

“No... I’m not sure. I can’t think of anything.” she replied. “Sorry, my head’s a bit messed up now.”

“I’m sorry about that. I just thought you should know was all. I know we’ve screwed up and you must trust me and the others even less now, but.... Look out!”

Natsumi jumped as Hunter suddenly veered into her, shunting her sideways and almost into the rock face as something came flying through the air above them and landed in the rock with a thud. Where she had been driving a mere second ago, a large razor ring was sticking upright half dug into the earth, its razor blade glinting in the aurora lights.

“What the hell?!” The growling of engines from the path above answered for her. From either side the upper rock face, two D-Runners leapt into their vision across the night sky. Two heavy, bulky and ugly models they were, red and black respectively, with huge roaring engines to power their hulking frames. One of the runners was coming down and straight for them, its rider bellowing as he raised a massive war hammer overhead. Alarmed Natsumi shoved into Hunter and out of the way as runner and hammer came crashing down. She had no idea how she avoided them as they smashed into the earth, it all happened so quickly, she wasn’t sure how she could of unless the rider missed or was deflected by something. The rider, dressed in bulky blood red armour and helmet skidded to a turn behind them, ignoring the large craters made where he’d crashed. The other runner landed beside him just as heavily, its rider dressed in long black coat over his own dark suit of armour and masked by a scarf and old riding helmet, turning to effortlessly pull his throwing weapon from the ground.

“Not these fella’s again!” Natsumi blinked at Hunter. For someone in his line of work who must be used to combat and with his usual demeanour, he looked suddenly terrified.

“You know these guys? Who are they?”

“No idea. They attacked me and Jin a couple of hours ago.” The two stepped on the gas as the attackers set off after them, but their powerful engines allowed the heavy runners to catch up very quickly as they raced along the trail. “Were they... waiting for us?”

“Don’t know. Don’t really care” Natsumi replied as at her command her D-Disk rose, locked into position and loaded itself as the armoured hammer wielder tried to pull alongside on the narrow pathway, trying to make room to swing while his partner was lining up for a clear shot at Hunter’s head. Snatching the top card from her deck, she threw it onto the blade. “Whoever they are, we’ll just take them out. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval%27s_Magma_Artillery"]Laval Magma Artillery[/url], blast them into hell!”

The rider pulled back as the twin cannon carrying golem appeared in front of him, giving him both barrels in reply. The two fireballs struck his armour one after the other, but he passed on through the flames unharmed. Albeit provoked.

“So, you want to go a few rounds?” Something about his voice, the thick dulled accent he spoke in, noticeably affected Hunter as he looked back in disbelief. Looking to his partner who nodded in reply, the two attackers sheathed their weapons and armed their own D-Disk attachments on their runners. “Heh, foolish girl, I’m going to enjoy this. Prepare to be crushed.”

“Vladimir? Is that you?” Natsumi blinked as Hunter, whose own D-Disk was the last to rise and lock itself into position, looked back and addressed the armoured rider in panic. If he reacted at all, his helmet hid it, but he didn’t seem to. “Are you alright? What happened to you? What are you attacking me for?”

“Humph, Vladimir no longer exists” the armoured man replied darkly. “I am something far stronger now. I will crush you. Because you stand in my way!”

“So you do know... ah forget it!” Natsumi declared as she snatched her opening hand that was offered to her by her shuffled deck. Hunter (very reluctantly) and the two attackers did the same, as the aurora above them rippled and bought up the combatants status displays following overhead. “Let’s just fight!”

[i]‘Riding duel, acceleration! Permanent field magic, Speed World 2, initialised!’[/i]

“Duel!”

“Vladimir? What happened...? Rokuro! Rokuro! Damn it, still no signal.” The green light and automatically offered sixth card was ignored as Hunter continued to try and get hold of the others.

“Forget it” the armoured duelist shouted at him. “As long as we’re around, you won’t be able to leave, and your allies won’t be able to come in and save you. All you can do is fight, see what that gets you.”

“Alright, then that’s what I’ll have to do. I draw.” Hunter frowned as he took his sixth card. No Centibete or Hornet in hand did not offer a great start, and nor did the speed spell that he would need to amass a lot of speed counters to be able to use. This would take some manoeuvring, and given what he knew of Vladimir and guessed about his silent partner, that would not be easy. “Let’s go. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Inzektor_Dragonfly"]Inzecter Damsel[/url] to the field!”

The red suited bug warrior flew through the portal and carried on alongside its duelist, ignoring the chasing pack (Lv3, ATK 1000). “Next I use Damsel’s effect to equip it with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Inzektor_Ant"]Inzecter Ameise[/url] from my hand. This increases Damsel’s attack by two hundred, and if he would be destroyed, Ameise takes the hit instead (ATK 1200). Then I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“Then it is my move! Let the fires of War consume you!” The armoured duelist roared as he took his card. “During my standby phase, the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_World_2"]Speed World 2[/url] activates, giving all of us our first speed counter. Then I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Garnet"]Gemknight Ganet[/url] in attack mode.”

“So much for the Gemknight warriors supposed to being peaceful defenders” Natsumi grimaced as a similarly red plated warrior, unarmed but infused with the power of flame manipulation, appeared and flew after the duelist (Lv4, ATK 1900). “Hunter, who are these guys?”

“He is... Vladimir Kanchev, and the West Asian duel monsters champion” Hunter sighed. “Earlier in the day I was assigned by a friend to search the VDS for him and bring him out by our method, but had no luck in my search. Guess he actually found me and forced me out before. He is... he was...”

“What I once was is of no consequence” the man interrupted. “Once I was a most powerful duelist who sought glory and fame. Such pointlessness has been expunged from me in my rebirth. Those things led to my downfall in the past, but no longer. I will regain my status with my new power and my new focus, and I will do it for a greater purpose. There is no desire for peace in the hearts of my Gemknight’s now. Like all other races of this world, now there is only lust for War! I place two cards face down. Turn end.”

“You want a war? You got it! It’s my turn” Natsumi drew as the runners thundered one after the other through the mountains, their speed climbing up again[i]. ‘Okay, forget the back story. Let’s just take these guys down before they can get do us any damage, and ask the questions later. This Vladimir guy is clearly going to be strong. But if I can take out Ganet, then Hunter will have a free shot next turn. If he doesn’t get too attached to strike him that is.’[/i] “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Volcano_Handmaiden"]Tender of the Laval Volcano[/url] to the field.” The flame haired maiden joined the other monsters in flying beside her (Lv1, ATK 100).

“Next, because I have two speed counters, I can activate the speed spell [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_High_Speed_Crash"]High Speed Crash[/url]. This destroys one card on both mine and my opponent’s field. So I’ll have Tender take down Ganet.”

“Your pitiful attempt is nothing I didn’t expect. Trap activate, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pyroxene_Fusion"]Assemble Fusion[/url]" he countered effortlessly as the maiden found herself lunging into thin air and crashed, as Ganet was sucked backwards into a portal of spinning gemstones. “I fuse Ganet with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Lazuli"]Gemknight Lazuli[/url] in my hand to fusion summon a more powerful knight. Crush them, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Zirconia"]Gemknight Zirconia[/url]!"

A huge monster in round silver armour burst from the swirling vortex, its arms equipped with thick, rounded, rock pounding gauntlets. The power of it was immense (Lv8, ATK 2900). “Oh, and because Lazuli was sent to the cemetery by a card effect, I can add Ganet back to my hand. Too bad, so sad.”

[i]‘Crap, that’s more than anything I can get hold of right now. I hope Hunter and his Inzecter’s can and will deal with it.’[/i] “Alright, but because Tender was sent to the cemetery, I can send another Laval to join it from my deck. Then I activate ‘Angel Baton’; drawing two cards and then discarding one.” [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Gunner"]Laval Gunner[/url] was chucked so that she might make some kind of defence. A large familiar golem would have to do (Lv5, ATK 2100).

“When I have three different Laval monsters in the cemetery, I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Burner"]Laval Burner[/url] from my hand. I end my turn with a face down.” As she placed her trap card, the black coat and masked rider behind her who had been silent so far took his card.

“So, you are just like your reputation told, Hotaru Natsumi.” His cold, bitter voice gave her the chills even without him mentioning her name. He knew her? “I activate the speed spell [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_Overboost"]Overboost[/url]. This gives me a short term boost, increasing my speed counters by four before losing them at the turns end.”

“I activate my other trap, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Slip_Stream"]Slip Stream[/url]" Vladimir added. “When a player’s speed counters increase outside of the standby phase, I can activate this trap to gain the same amount.” The two heavy runners roared and shoved past them, making heavy contact as they went ahead (sp7). Natsumi and Hunter exchanged worried looks, before the dark duelist continued by holding another spell overhead.

“Now... let the Famine begin. I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_Speed_Fusion"]Speed Fusion[/url]. Now that I have in abundance of four speed counters, I can perform a fusion summon. I fuse [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_HERO_-_Dogma"]Destiny Hero Dogma Guy[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_HERO_-_Plasma"]Destiny Hero Bloo-D[/url] in my hand, to summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_End_Dragoon"]Dragoon D-End[/url]!"

Natsumi shuddered as the terrible dragon infused warrior floated ominously overhead on its giant wings, sword blade and giant dragon claw arm pointing at her (Lv10, ATK 3000). But the horrible and powerful creatures’ appearance, frightening as it was, was only half of her concern. “You are... you’re the guy who sold me out. Who reported fake planted evidence of me to RDL bosses? You’re Unmai?”

“So... you know about me now. I was indeed this once, but it is too late. That information is outdated. Now I am something else, and I hold a much higher purpose. I activate D-End’s effect. I can’t attack this turn, but this lets me destroy a monster. Then you take damage equal to its attack! Extinguish Burner!”

“I don’t think so. I activate the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Divine_Wrath"]Heaven's Penalty[/url]! By discarding a card, this negates the activation of a monsters effect, and then destroys it!” Dragoon D-End exploded as it was pierced by a shaft of light. “You should have checked your facts before you went running to the authorities. I don’t care that they used you to set me up, it’s because of your actions my life was taken away from me!”

“So clueless.” Unmai’s cold voice, so unaffected by the loss of D-End, made her shiver again. “But if you think a little trick like that is going to save you, then you’re in for a very long and painful suffering. I activate the effect of Speed World 2. By removing seven speed counters, I get to draw one card.” Hunter had to leap his runner out of the way as Unmai shot backwards. With him now at the back and Vladimir at the front, they were penned in. Judging from Vladimir’s laugh, just as the duo had hoped for. Still as sombre as ever Unmai took his extra card. “Now because I control no monsters again, and you still cling to yours, I can special summon the first of a new breed of hero to bring you to suffering. A shunned hero who will save this starved and wretched world. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Evil_HERO_Infernal_Prodigy"]Evil Hero Hell Brat[/url]!"

A fiendish creature pulled itself through the portal, laughing wickedly as it took after the others (Lv2, ATK 300). Not that it hung around for long, as its body lost structure and turned into a dark tar in a painful way. “Next, I can release Hell Brat on its own to advance summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Evil_HERO_Malicious_Edge"]Evil Hero Malicious Edge[/url]."

Natsumi and Hunter gulped as from the tar rose a warrior in tight cobalt armour, slight and more agile than the hulk Zirconia ahead of them, and armed with razor sharp claws (Lv7, ATK 2600). Yet another strong monster so fast, and that these two characters they thought they knew were working together like a team made it even worse. One working together to go out and destroy them both. Unmai... or rather as his display titled him... Famine, watched them shudder in silence, whilst his partner Vlad... War, his joyous battle laughter rang out across the Polar Star Radiance.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Kind of spoilers again']
Unexpected return of Unmai and Vladimir. Huh.
Also an interesting use of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
The return also reminded me a bit of the cataphracts from [i]Dead Zone.[/i] (I swear I'll stop drawing comparison to that fanfic soon).[/spoiler]
Great chapter overall. Really warming up to Wilhelm's character tbqh.
Okay, I'll throw in another prediction as well:
Rokuro will use Heroics.

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1340754246' post='5962847']
[spoiler='Kind of spoilers again']
Unexpected return of Unmai and Vladimir. Huh.
Also an interesting use of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
The return also reminded me a bit of the cataphracts from [i]Dead Zone.[/i] (I swear I'll stop drawing comparison to that fanfic soon).[/spoiler]
Great chapter overall. Really warming up to Wilhelm's character tbqh.
Okay, I'll throw in another prediction as well:
Rokuro will use Heroics.
[/quote]

[spoiler=Because talking in spoilers is cool]
Thanks for putting that bit in spoilers mate.

Yeah, two duels for the price of one today. Was hoping after the conclusion to Clarissa vs Sakura that little bombshell would catch a few people. :lol:

Points for being cultured and knowing it was the Horsemen. The funny thing is I knew there was going to be these four since.... January. But I only came up with the four horseman imagery thing when writing that chapter, and deciding that bad guys all in black was getting really f***ing boring. So yeah, was a moment of genius yet facedesking at the same time. I was kinda hoping people had just forgotten about them and be all "holy Mother of...!"[/spoiler]

Dead Zone references are cool, its an honour to attempt to hold a candle to that amazing story...

That's really good of you to say about Wilhelm and I thank you for doing so. There is a goal for him, and I'd love it if I achieved it. He gets a lot of focus next chapter, obviously. Cuz he's knee deep in trouble, obviously.

Ooooh, so close. Wrong, but so close.

Thanks for commenting.

Cake!

Also, props to someone else remembering [i]Dead Zone[/i]. It's certainly been a while, and I hope we get some word on it, unless I've missed something.

I was waiting to see Rokuro duel, and alongside Wilhelm that would have been pretty badass, but I suppose it wasn't meant to be...

Good to see you avoided showing off... [i]that[/i] Number. Best left alone until its got a more sensible effect, eh?

[spoiler=Since everyone else seems to be using them]Arashi with Verz, Evos obviously with Evol, not sure for Rokura. I think maybe Magical/Spellbook for Izumi, and Gimmick Puppet for Kaneko.[/spoiler]
Other than that, I'm liking Sakura's reappearance, and obvious influence from Shock Ruler, and I'm wondering where the other two apocalypse riders are, if those two are two of them. Anyway, how could anyone forget Dead Zone, it's one of the best Fan Fictions I've read on this site and I would like to see it continued, and I've only just caught up on the past few chapters, as my internet has been disliking yugioh card maker for about the last week or so. You still have my support Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 though, and I am enjoying it so far. I'm liking Hunter too at the moment, though he does seem a little like the stereotypical Australian at times, which is really not what most of us are like. An enjoyable story though, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1340791054' post='5963000']
Cake!

Also, props to someone else remembering [i]Dead Zone[/i]. It's certainly been a while, and I hope we get some word on it, unless I've missed something.

I was waiting to see Rokuro duel, and alongside Wilhelm that would have been pretty badass, but I suppose it wasn't meant to be...

Good to see you avoided showing off... [i]that[/i] Number. Best left alone until its got a more sensible effect, eh?
[/quote]

Cake? Where?

Heh heh heh, evil Bahamut with his false pops >: D

Was waiting for someone to mention the use of Fran Ken. As is becoming more apparent I'm really starting to run out of Numbers now (damn you Konami, make more!) but for a thirty second cameo where only a beatstick was needed, he fitted quite nicely along with his representation of Kaneko as the "unstoppable monostrous" side of her, and being used by Clarissa. Better to use it here than pretty much waste Giant Killer or Heavens Strings.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1340796535' post='5963017']
[spoiler=Since everyone else seems to be using them]Arashi with Verz, Evos obviously with Evol, not sure for Rokura. I think maybe Magical/Spellbook for Izumi, and Gimmick Puppet for Kaneko.[/spoiler]

Other than that, I'm liking Sakura's reappearance, and obvious influence from Shock Ruler, and I'm wondering where the other two apocalypse riders are, if those two are two of them. Anyway, how could anyone forget Dead Zone, it's one of the best Fan Fictions I've read on this site and I would like to see it continued, and I've only just caught up on the past few chapters, as my internet has been disliking yugioh card maker for about the last week or so. You still have my support Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 though, and I am enjoying it so far. I'm liking Hunter too at the moment, though he does seem a little like the stereotypical Australian at times, which is really not what most of us are like. An enjoyable story though, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
[/quote]

[spoiler=Response to guesses]
Kaneko with Gimmick Puppets 0_o That's a wild punt out wide field isn't it? Still might be right. Magical and Verz are logical guesses for the ladies, and yep Evols for Doctor Evos.[/spoiler]

As sort of fillerish as this duel was, it was one of my favourites this arc because of Sakura's will I won't I with Shock Ruler and the faff she made about it, and because of Clarissa's control and the maths adding up so well to get her to 100 LP. Especiallybecause the first version was so god-awful. Went to rewrite getting the Acid Golem thing in but had a problem "How do I summon Acid Golem, get it to Sakura, detach its units, and generate enough cards?"

*Remembers Xyz Gift exists* :D

My Internet comes and goes so know what thats like. Thanks for catching up. Sorry if I'm making Hunter a bit too over the top in his mannerisms, its more an attempt to show he's just a relaxed, happy go lucky character rather than a massively stereotypical Australain. The character design for Hunter actually came from Zexal in the form of Charlie McCoy, because I got pissed off with how that story (or more to the point, duel) ended.

And yes, we can all agree Dead Zone is awesome and it would be amazing to see it finished, but I'd rather see it ended right than ended right now.

[spoiler=Responses to Responses of Guesses]Gimmick Puppets was partially because I was running out of archetypes to guess, and seemed somewhat appropriate considering that she is the Avatar of that duel world, and has some control over it. I would have guessed that they were Rokuro's deck actually, except that you already specified that he didn't have any numbers, which all the bosses of the deck is, as they do kinda fit him too, him being a politician with some control the country.[/spoiler]
I also like the whole 100 lp remaining, but I was supprised to see Xyz Gift until I remembered that you also had Inverz Roach on the field, allowing Xyz Gift's use. I don't actually know what Charlie McCoy was like, I haven't exactly been keeping up with Zexal. I would prefer dead zone finished eventually, but not if it means sacrificing the high standard of writing it currently comes with.

So Hunter was based on Charlie? For some reason, I keep imagining him as that crocodile guy from GX...

[spoiler=I feel obligated to use a spoiler now...]
A lot of stuff happened in that chapter...geez. But it was cool stuff =D Sakura vs Clarissa was awesome, and that was about the best (and only) way to use Fran Ken without it being the most broken piece of bleep to ever exist. And after that...I actually HAD forgotten that Unmai existed...metaphorical wake-up slap. Woo.
[/spoiler]

Oh, and Kaneko will totally be a boss and use 60-card themeless highlander.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1340844643' post='5963254']
[spoiler=Responses to Responses of Guesses]Gimmick Puppets was partially because I was running out of archetypes to guess, and seemed somewhat appropriate considering that she is the Avatar of that duel world, and has some control over it. I would have guessed that they were Rokuro's deck actually, except that you already specified that he didn't have any numbers, which all the bosses of the deck is, as they do kinda fit him too, him being a politician with some control the country.[/spoiler]
I also like the whole 100 lp remaining, but I was supprised to see Xyz Gift until I remembered that you also had Inverz Roach on the field, allowing Xyz Gift's use. I don't actually know what Charlie McCoy was like, I haven't exactly been keeping up with Zexal. I would prefer dead zone finished eventually, but not if it means sacrificing the high standard of writing it currently comes with.
[/quote]

Engineering hands is something I'd like to think I've got better at in duels in this fic. In Armageddon was having to use crap like Akashic Record, Cup of Ace, Aurora Draw (at least I made a plot device of it this time) and so on three times a duel, and everyone had Jar of Avarice. I'd like to think I've been using cards that aren't +1's like Allure of Darkness for Clarissa, Wonder Wand for Garvan (a great little move I thought, in that it forced Scag to target Gagaga with Terabyte and use Gagaga Rush for the win) and Xyz Gift well here and made the duels better.

Improving the duels in Armageddon is one thing I really wish I could go back and do, rather than to much storyline wise.

You didn't miss much. The episodes (31-32) were going well after a month of dire filler but ended stupidly. Charlie actually became a record holder in having the highest Life Points in YGO anime history (100,000 LP). In a filler duel.

Cuz life points truly don't matter.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1340898060' post='5963457']
So Hunter was based on Charlie? For some reason, I keep imagining him as that crocodile guy from GX...

[spoiler=I feel obligated to use a spoiler now...]
A lot of stuff happened in that chapter...geez. But it was cool stuff =D Sakura vs Clarissa was awesome, and that was about the best (and only) way to use Fran Ken without it being the most broken piece of bleep to ever exist. And after that...I actually HAD forgotten that Unmai existed...metaphorical wake-up slap. Woo.
[/spoiler]

Oh, and Kaneko will totally be a boss and use 60-card themeless highlander.
[/quote]

You mean Jim Cook? Hmm... guess they have similarities (aside from nationality). I've only watched GX in fits and starts.

This chapter and 28 were much longer than I wanted, but had to get exposure on a few people who hadn't had any for a while like Murtagh and the gov. As well as two duels. Next three chapters are back to normal length, penultimate arc chapter is looking like a longy though (understandably).

At least we can all agree Acid Golem is probably a guy though right? :lol:

Right, thanks for the feedback on the last few chapters guys. Has been really good getting feedback and predictions. Of course I can't help being a comment *insert naughty word* and wanting more people to add their thoughts, but you guys who are commenting are awesome. I'M JUST AN ADDICT AND I NEED HELP!

*and breath*

Anyway, new chapter up a little earlier than usual because of my schedule, and how its going to physically destroy me. So comments to come back to about how my first ever tag turbo duel and other events covered in this chapter wopuld be loverly. Especially since... well... you'll see...

Like last time, some of the speed spells have been modified from the anime slightly. Also no hyperlinks today because my computer doesn't like wikia. And because I really need to go to bed now.

[spoiler=Chapter 16:2]Grumbling to himself and kicking a loose rock as he passed through, Murtagh strode into the back cave of his impromptu base still without the key part he needed. “How many of her precious users do I have to slaughter before she faces me? Damn Orion sure made her a coward with his training.” Hopefully progress here would better his mood, but from the rather worried looks Garvan and Izura were giving him as he passed by and approached the converter, they look braced for a tirade. Which meant things here hadn’t progressed, and in that case that would of course result in a deserved tirade.

“Evos! Asami!”

The addressed pair looked over the side at him from on top of the converter. The doctor’s expression was a very fragile confidence that he could immediately see right through, whereas Asami immediately climbed down to greet him in an overbearing way. “Darling... you’re back. Um... you had been out for so long, I wasn’t expecting you to return without... um...”

“Without the child, I know” he grumbled, pushing past her to go and join Evos. She held him back however, which was odd. “It’s been more difficult than I foresaw but I’m working on it alright. I just took a break to make sure you lot were doing your job, the easy part of the job, and it looks to me like you’re all sitting around doing nothing. Why isn’t it finished yet? I only left Evos two or three things to do.”

“Darling please, we’re working on it” Asami tried to caress his face and lure him away from the machine, a noticeable hint of panic was starting to creep into her voice. “We just need a little more time, just to make absolutely sure it works. We’re doing everything we can, just please be patient. Maybe we go get Kaneko together...”

“How do you expect you can make a difference in getting the child?” Murtagh shoved past Asami and towards the machine, ignoring her pleas to ‘please not to go up there’ before taking a huge leap up onto top plate. “I want to see just what everything we can involves, and what it is that is taking so...”

Murtagh’s power of speech disappeared as he landed on the platform and turned to face Evos, and to his disbelief the dead man in a wheelchair he was standing over, looking up from his hunched position for a moment to leer at him and grimace through his bloodied mouth. His appearance made him speechless and paralyzed for a moment, his only movement to blink to make sure he was seeing who he thought he was seeing and look back at the crippled young man, before he dropped back to the cave floor beside Asami and waved Izura and Garvan over. They obeyed reluctantly, heads hung and braced for the inevitable as Murtagh, initial shock gone, looked ready to explode.

“What... is going on here?”

“Darling, I know what it looks like” Asami tried to be as soothing as possible. “The converter has been a bit more... complex than expected, even for Hank. That’s why he suggested we get him when we... er found out he was still alive and returned to the VDS. But now we’ve got someone who can finish it for sure. He might be a weak little man, but Evos said he is a computer genius; he can finish it for us. That’s why we went out and captured him...”

“How... did that roach... survive?” Murtagh growled. “And Clarissa? And Masuro?” Garvan and Izura nodded solemnly, and flinched as a metal clang reverberated around the cavern as Murtagh struck the side of the machine. Desperately Asami tried again.

“I know darling I know, I don’t know how they escaped either. But let’s try to find the posi...”

“What positive!? How can there be a positive to them still being alive?”

“Well, think about this. Just think about it for a second. If their Numbers protected them from a building collapsing on them, we know we are definitely safe from those searching for us. There’s nothing they can do to us now even if they do find us, which means we have all the time we need to finish the converter so it works perfectly. Something he will make sure happens. Then your rise will be assured. No-one will be able to stop you, not even Clarissa or Masuro. I know things will be much easier when they are dead. And we will make sure that they are dead in the end.”

Murtagh scowled, but as the seconds past his rage subsided slightly. “And the others? We know who he is working with and what they are doing?” Garvan quickly nodded. “And they have no idea where we are; here or in the other world?” Again, that was correct. Measures had been put in place so that once captured, Wilhelm had been stripped of the ability to communicate, warp, or be logged out of the VDS by any means internally or externally. “And he can definitely make it work, and is going to finish it?”

“Yes, he can definitely do it. It’s just making him do it that has been a bit of a problem. Nothing seems to work on him. We can’t threaten him with Clarissa or anyone else’s safety, not even Kaneko’s. He just laughs everything off and says we’re going to kill or capture them anyway, we can’t hold anything over him. Um... do you think we can use him to get Kaneko?”

“No. She doesn’t know who her real parents are, let alone this guy. She hasn’t appeared yet, and she wouldn’t believe me if I told her I have her uncle hostage. Alright, so I’ll overlook Hank’s lack of ability and go along with his plan if it gets this done. But you’re telling me you haven’t even got him to work yet?”

Looking about at the sorry silent crew, he swore deeply. “Do I have to do everything around here? Alright I’ll convince him.”

Leaping back to the top plate, Evos had presumably heard every word and now left Wilhelm’s side to work on something, anything far out of Murtagh’s way. The young man was just sat there in his chair, unable to move away from the control panel he was faced with until Murtagh pulled him around and crouched before him. The blood on his lips was good, that the alterations made to the VDS had such an effect on the brain to do that. Forcing him to look at him, Murtagh regarded the young man’s hateful stare with amusement.

“You know what it is I want this thing to do right?” Wilhelm nodded as he took in deeps breathes. “Good. So you know how delicate it is, and can appreciate the possibilities of what might happen if it wasn’t working correctly when activated.” Another nod. “And you know how to make sure it fulfils its function so that it is working properly, and you are going to make sure it works properly. Aren’t you?”

Murtagh’s smile lessened as Wilhelm shook his head. “Dream on... I won’t help you! No matter what you do to me... no matter what you threaten me with.”

“Huh, we’ll see about that. You see... I don’t care. If you fix it or not that is. I’m going to activate it anyway.” Wilhelm’s astounded look made him smirk. “Not right now obviously, I want to do that from somewhere else, and I need your little niece to supply the power source for it. But once she has and I have all the Numbers, I’m going to use this for its purpose. If it works, I get what I want and become ruler of everything as is my right as the most powerful being alive. If it doesn’t work.....because it hasn’t been programmed properly....... well then, I can’t guarantee everyone’s safety if that happens. Everyone in the world might be affected in a very bad way. They all might just... I dunno... anything could happen to them. Anything at all...”

“No way...” Wilhelm spluttered. “You can’t be serious.”

“Try me” Murtagh replied with a hard stare. Wilhelm swallowed a few times as he tried to think of an argument. “Either I will rule the world, or there will be no world at all, and not a single damn will be given. I am going to use this machine as my ride to being the ultimate, but if it doesn’t work right when I do... then everyone in the world will suffer the consequences of its breakdown, whatever they be. Not just your sister, or Kaneko, it’s bigger than that. Everyone. The choice is entirely on you now, as to what you would rather happen. Can you bear to risk the entirety of humanity?” Wilhelm backed as far down into his wheelchair as possible as Murtagh leaned into him and whispered “Because I can.”

The sudden, strangled noise of the poor young man bursting into sobs made him smile as he withdrew, leaving Wilhelm broken as he sat back in his chair. “Alright... alright... I’ll do it.”

“Good boy. Now sit up and get on with it.” Responding to his click of fingers, Evos hurried over and repositioned Wilhelm so that he could get to work. He did so at a frantic pace, albeit still weeping. “You are not off the hook yet by the way doctor. Make sure he doesn’t try to pull a fast one, although I’m sure he won’t; now he knows the whole of humanity is depending on him.” Evos bowed with a nervy apology before he descended once more from the converter to leave them to it, still shaking his head and muttering as he rejoined the other three. “Right, now that’s sorted. But until they’ve finished and I work out how to lure Kaneko out of hiding, then I’m going to... going to... grr...”

Unable to think of what to do, Murtagh stomped off towards the exit. Nervously Asami followed and stopped him by rubbing his shoulders. “You’re still stressed babe, you’ll think of something. But you won’t think of anything if you don’t relax and calm down a bit.”

“Ugh... I guess you’re right.” Watching from beside the machine, having not dared to move or speak, Garvan could see Murtagh give Asami a strange look, making her quiver slightly as he looked up and down her in the dress she’d picked for him. “Alright, go get yourself ready. I’ll join you in a minute.”

By Garvan’s side, Izura bowed her head and walked off. Asami obediently disappeared, logging out from the VDS world, leaving Murtagh to approach him with the orders. “I’ll be back soon, once I’m not... stressed. Try and make sure I’m not coming back to any more incidents that might make me lose it.”

Forced to blast through a series of tight mountain passes in single file, Natsumi and Hunter followed on into the open tracks of Polar Star Radiance, the aurora lights changing from green and blue to reds and gold as they shone down upon them. At the front, the man Hunter recognised as once the West Asian champion Vladimir Kanchev, now under the guise of the bloody armoured War, was leading them all through the steep and dangerous roads; his powerful Gemknight flying over his head. Forcing them forward from the back of the pack the guy who had reported Natsumi to the authorities, the dark coated Unmai who now called himself Famine, was lining them up with his new Evil Hero monster.

“I place one card face down and end my turn, at which point the effect of Evil Hero Hell Brat activates” Famine declared as the hologram of a reverse card appeared briefly before him. “During the end phase of a turn he was released for an advance summon, I can draw one more card. Also at this time, the after-effect of Overboost changes my speed counters to one, gaining me a counter. Your move... and remember, we’ve all had one turn now.” The dark man may have smirked under his mask as he nipped at Hunter’s rear tires. “Now the battle can really begin, and your suffering with it.”

“I don’t think so mate” Hunter snapped as he darted away and went for his card. “My draw.”

Hunter: LP 4000, Speed 4, Hand 4, Field of Damsel equipped with Ameise and a face down
War: LP 4000, Speed 8, Hand 3, Field of Gemknight Zirconia
Natsumi: LP 4000, Speed 4, Hand 1, Field of Laval Burner
Famine: LP 4000, Speed 2, Hand 1, Field of Evil Hero Malicious Edge and a face down

[i]‘Nice. I got just the card I needed to get the swarm going’[/i] Hunter thought as he looked at his speed spell; one of many revamped for the new, popular riding duels. [i]‘I gotta be careful though. I can’t hurt Vladimir. He’s still in there; I have to get him to come to his senses. However that other guy, he’s fair game.’[/i] “I activate the ‘Explosion’ speed spell. By sending one card in my spell and trap card zone to the cemetery, the battle positions of all my opponent’s monsters are switched.” Zirconia and Malicious dutifully kneeled as Ameise disappeared (DEF 2500 and 1800 respectively).

“Now, because a monster equipped to Damsel has gone, I can activate his effect to summon another Inzecter from my deck. Come on, ‘Inzecter Hornet’.”

As the wasp suited warrior emerged from its portal (Lv3, ATK 500), War turned around in his seat to look back at his partner. “Famine, do it.”

“I got it. I activate the trap card ‘Chain Lost’!” Hunter choked as Famine opened the devastating trap. “When a monster with a thousand or less attack is special summoned, this banishes it from play. Not just that one, but all other copies in your deck are banished along with it.” Bound and pulled away by ghostly chains the key Inzecter disappeared, as Famine saluted his partner. “Heh, thanks for the tip.”

“...if you think I rely entirely on Hornet, you’re going to be sadly mistaken” Hunter replied. “I activate the effect of Damsel to equip it with ‘Inzecter Grasshopper’ from my hand. Then by sending Hopper to the cemetery, Damsel can attack directly this turn as well as tripping its effect again. This time I’m summoning ‘Gigamantis’ from my deck!” The twin bladed Inzecter burst through the air and into the fray alongside Damsel (Lv6, ATK 2400).

“Now only the monster that Grasshopper used its effect on can attack this turn, which is why I’m activating the ‘Variable Form’ trap card. Once per turn I can activate one of two effects. With it, I can equip Mantis onto Damsel, and boost its attack points to twenty four hundred, then give them all to you.” Now armed with the twin blades, Damsel turned to face Famine (ATK 2400). “Sting him!”

“Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!” Famine roared as Damsel’s twin blades slashed through him, forcing him to back off for a moment to clutch his chest (LP 1600). The pain quickly subsided, to be replaced by eerie laughter. “Heh heh heh. Enjoy your minor success while you can. It won’t last.”

“It’s my turn” War declared at the front. “I activate my own Speed Fusion. By fusing Zirconia with Ganet and ‘Sapphia’ in my hand, I can fusion summon the most powerful Gemknight! ‘Master Diamond’!” The three monsters disappeared into the swirling gem portal, allowing a knight in gleaming silver armour and carrying a gem encrusted great sword to emerge (Lv9, ATK 3300).

“Next I summon ‘Rescue Rabbit’ to the field.” The giant knight was joined rather oddly by a small rabbit with a hard hat and walkie-talkie hanging around its neck (Lv4, ATK 300). “By banishing Rescue Rabbit, I can summon two copies of a level four normal monster from my deck, namely ‘Gemknight Rumarin’. I overlay my two Rumarin’s to Xyz summon ‘Daigusta Emerald’, then I attack the girl!”

Natsumi screamed as with one swing of its sword, Master Diamond cleaved Burner in half (LP 2800). With her only defence gone, the way was free for the combined might of the knights and the Gusta, a green plated warrior with great feathery wings to sweep through for a direct attack (Rk4, ATK 1800). The force of the attack blurred her mind and vision as she cried out again, her runner veering dangerously off course and into the dirt as Hunter and Famine blasted past. Her leg smashed against a rock off the road, snapping her back to her senses and hauling the bike back onto the road, wincing and trying to ignore the throbbing pain (LP 1000).

“Vladimir, stop it!” Hunter shouted as Natsumi trailed after the group. “What’s wrong with you?”

“There is nothing wrong with me. It is all of you who are wrong! I activate the effects of Speed World 2, and Daigusta Emerald” War continued. “I can draw one card by lowering my speed counters by seven, and by detaching an overlay unit and returning three monsters in my cemetery to my deck, I can draw one more.” Master Diamond’s attack dipped slightly, but War’s restored hand was more worrying as he dropped back a place behind Hunter (ATK 3100). “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“My... turn... then...” The shakiness of her voice unsettled Natsumi. Such weakness was unacceptable, especially now. She couldn’t afford to be weak now. “Bah, this is one girl you’re going to regret trying to pick on. I summon ‘Flamvell Helldog’ in attack mode.” A fiendish hound born from magma appeared and ran beside her, spitting a little fire as it growled (Lv4, ATK 1900). Whether he had knowingly or not, Hunter had set her up perfectly. “Now Helldog, attack Malicious Edge!”

“War?” Famine asked as the hound came charging towards his kneeling warrior. “A little help?”

“Relax, I got ya” the armoured man casually drawled. “I activate the trap card ‘Windstorm of Etaqua’. This changes the battle position of all your monsters, so let’s see how you like it!”

[i]‘Damn it, so much for the Black Corn’ [/i]Natsumi grumbled as Helldog returned to her and knelt (DEF 200).[i] ‘Windstorm is such an unusual card to use in that situation though, unless...oh no, I get it.’[/i] “I activate the speed spell ‘Shift Down’. By lowering my speed counters by six, I can draw two new cards (sp0). I place both of them face down and end my turn.”

“Hey, War!” Famine pulled alongside his partner and drew his card, still managing to point an accusing finger at him in the process. “Don’t fall back into your old ways of arrogance. It’s what makes you a sloppy duelist.”

“I set you up didn’t I?” War snapped back.

“Bah! Just don’t let it go to your head. If you do anything in your pride and recklessness that jeopardises our order, then you’ll have him to answer to. He gave you a new life because you had potential despite your weaknesses. He can just as easily take it away again if you look likely to screw it up.” Natsumi and Hunter watched in amazement as War growled at his partner before accelerating off.

“What the hell was all that about? Who’s he?” Famine scowled and ignored her question.

“Bah! Now where were we? Oh yes. During my standby phase, I can banish a Destiny Hero from my cemetery to resurrect Dragoon D-End back to the field!” The riders gulped as the hellish creature rose up once again (ATK 3000). “I also change Evil Hero Malicious Edge back into attack mode. Now to battle! I’ll have Malicious Edge attack Helldog, and when he attacks a monster in defence, piercing damage is applied. Your interference ends here girl!”

“I don’t think so. I activate the trap card ‘Attack Invulnerability’. When my monster is attacked, I can use this to either prevent that monsters destruction, or reduce the battle damage to zero.” Helldog whimpered and exploded as the warrior slashed through it, but left her unharmed.

“I’ll get you this time! Dragoon D-End attacks you directly!”

“Oh no you won’t. I activate the effect of ‘Necro Gardna’ from my cemetery. I can banish it to stop your attack!” The ghoulish warrior materialised just in time to intercept the dragoon’s sword driving towards her a metre away, writhing horribly as the blade pierced and stuck in its ghostly form. “Unmai, tell me what is going on. What are you?

“So you survive again. But not for much longer” Famine continued relentlessly. “I place two cards face down and end my turn. I won’t tell you things you don’t need to know. All you need to know is that this duel, and your lives, will be over very, very soon.”

...00:42:23...

“You are sure that’s it?” Mai asked. “Is there nothing else you can tell me?”

The person on the other end of her phone denied any more information before hurriedly hanging up, leaving Mai to sigh and flop against the table she was sat at, scuffing her notes. Over the last hour or so most communications methods and other downed computer systems were slowly starting to be restored by the engineers working on them. This made it easier for her to try and find out what she was searching for, but it also meant that those unable to sleep in the climate of fear and unknown would start discussing what was happening and why, and give Ageda a platform to broadcast his slurs.

Her yawn was greeted by Hideo coming over to her with a cup of coffee in each hand. Across the room, Kenji was working at his fixed laptop. Accepting the drink gratefully, it didn’t do much to wake up her senses but she appreciated the gesture. “Decaf, you remembered.”

“We haven’t been divorced that long.”

That was true; it had only been a couple of years. Downing her coffee in a futile attempt to alert herself, Mai passed the prime minister her scraps of notes. “I’ve found a couple of suspect links to Tarao in his past, but nothing exactly concrete enough to scare him and make him call off his threat. Even if allegations made against him forced him to step down in an official capacity, he would just pull the strings of his puppet from afar. And make sure he took you down as a parting shot. Definitely nothing I have on him is like as serious as suggestions of being a traitor. I don’t know how to silence him.”

“Perhaps we are going about this the wrong way then” Kenji replied from across the room. “Maybe we should look for something on Junichi. Do you think Tarao would risk his son’s reputation going down in tatters? Without being able to lead the PRJ through pretty boy, do you think he’d continue?”

“Maybe, but it’s hopeless. Junichi’s clean” Hideo groaned.

“Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for his flashy smile as well Hideo?” Mai muttered, opening her own laptop and typing away with fervour. “We don’t know that for sure, there might be something on him. Maybe Kenji’s right. If we find something that costs Junichi all credibility and force him to stand down, Tarao will have to give up as well. Now what do we know about Junichi?”

“That he has a master’s degree in law from Tokyo University, as well as higher qualifications in politics” Hideo replied automatically, having researched his opponent with Izura methodically. “That he was the East Asian Duel Monsters champion nine years ago, and a regular in the finals of other nationals. He’s twenty eight, single, and he lives in a nice apartment in the harbour bought for him by daddy. The PRJ play on him as a fresh, young, dynamic man with ideas. Kind of like the impact I hoped for Kenji.”

“Well, I do have an idea now sir” Kenji replied, as he revealed his laptop to the others. On the screen was the website for... a detective agency? “Where about is Junichi’s apartment again?”

Riding through the dark jungle of the ‘Jurassic World’, Daiki rolled his eyes at the loud yawn his new partner had made behind him. Jin was sat just behind him and had tried to stifle it, but he couldn’t suppress the sound very well. “Tired?”

“No...” Jin tried to shake himself out of it, but remained a little bleary eyed. “Well, maybe a little. I’m not used to being up so late, but don’t worry about me. I want to help and I won’t let anyone down just because I’m tired.”

“It’s okay. There’s no telling when we might find Kaneko or Murtagh, so if you need to get your head down now while you can so that you’re alert for the battles when they come, that’s fine.” Jin nodded bluntly and rested his head against his back, snuggling his helmet into him. “One question though. Do you know why Kaneko picked you out as an ally? Why she helped you and gave you a Number?”

“No, not really” the youngster replied. “I only logged in quite late in the afternoon after work, long after better duelists than me had been defeated by the duel drones, but she said she had been waited for me especially. It was a little overwhelming, but I couldn’t turn her down. I guess she’ll explain later.”

“You work?” Daiki was surprised as he felt Jin nod in the small between his shoulders and mumble something. “...Do you have family Jin?”

“Just my mom. My dad walked out on her shortly after I was born and we’ve been scraping for a living ever since. There aren’t many poor families, but some still exist where I live. Mom works really hard to get me to school and fed, so I try to help out by working at the local shop during the holidays. It’s only a little, but one day I want to get us out of poverty. I want to become a duel champion. That way I can get us into a better house using the prize money, and stuff...”

“...she must be worried about you. Does she know where you are?”

“Hunter sent someone round to talk to her when I was bought into the base...”

Jin trailed off and starting snoring slightly, leaving Daiki to ponder as he continued onwards. Best to let him get some sleep now while he kept searching for something, rather than him make a potentially life threatening mistake out of fatigue later. Rumbling through the dark jungle as the trail turned another corner, Daiki jumped as a girl suddenly appeared out of the darkness in his headlights. Wildly panicking he was about to run over his daughter he slammed on the brakes and stopped just before her.

It wasn’t Kaneko. Standing in the middle of the track wringing her gauntlet covered hands and with a lost look on her face was someone who shouldn’t have been there. “Oh... sorry” Sakura muttered as it slowly dawned on her that Daiki and Jin were there. “I wasn’t concentrating on where I was going. Um... haven’t I met you before?”

“Yeah, at the secret service base. I’m... Masuro Daiki. This is Jin. We’re part of a team working for the secret service and government of Japan to protect the country from the threat of Murtagh who is planning something using this virtual world that could affect everyone. Why are you here? How are you here? I thought Murakami had you locked up.”

“Um... something happened at the secret service base. I don’t know what exactly; I think it was attacked by Murtagh’s allies. I got out in the confusion and found where you all were logged in, so here I am.”

“I see. I guess that’s why communications were down earlier.” Rokuro would probably know more, and he should definitely know about this. As stealthily as possible, Daiki called him on his D-Gazer and continued talking. “But you didn’t answer my question. Why are you here Sakura?”

“I came here because... because I want to help” Sakura stuttered. “I was attacked earlier by those dark angel things, and after the battle I got one of those Number things. It has led me up to this point. I...”

The warp portal opening behind in the darkness behind Sakura interrupted her. From it emerged the defence minister as Daiki intended, but to his surprise he was not followed by Wilhelm, but instead Clarissa came after him. She looked absolutely furious, and it only got worse when she saw Sakura and the girl looked back at her.

“You again?!”

“Thanks for calling me Masuro” Rokuro nodded. “Our communication with HQ has been patchy due to a helicopter assault on it an hour ago, but I was made aware Sakura had slipped through and into the VDS. I haven’t had a chance to look for her due to other... things, and Baron couldn’t log her out from their end because of the same damn Numbers effect like with you earlier. So now Sakura, I can only ask, would you please leave this place? It’s not safe, and your father doesn’t need the worry right now.”

“I’m not going!” Sakura retorted. “I want to help. I’m sure there must be something I can do somehow. Maybe not by duelling, but something. Certainly more than her over there can be trusted with.”

“Oh please, don’t you ever learn?” Clarissa snapped as Sakura glared at her. “Or do me and Acid Golem have to teach you another more painful lesson?”

“Excuse me?” Rokuro asked. “Is there something going on here I should know about?”

“Yeah, maybe I saw little Sakura a little while ago and told her that she had no place here. And maybe I proved it to her as well. Still, it’s not like you have any high ground on me right now minister. I made sure I kept her safe from harm in doing so, unlike you did with my brother...”

“Er, what?” Daiki asked as Rokuro shifted awkwardly. “Where is Wilhelm?”

“We... were jumped by Murtagh’s allies” Rokuro mumbled. “I didn’t call you straight away because there was no way I could do it without being spotted and they would have called Murtagh, I thought we could take them two on two. However it was a trap to abduct Wilhelm. They’ve done something to stop us logging him out or finding his location, but Dr Zielinski is doing all he can to try and find him. He is definitely still alive though...”

“For now” Clarissa snapped. “They abducted him because they need him for something. They’ll only keep him alive as long as he is useful to them. I have to rescue him somehow, and crush anyone who tries to stop me. I take it none of you are going to try to stop me.”

As she stared at each of them and dared them to argue, Rokuro and Sakura just bowed their heads and remained silent. She turned to Daiki last, who shook his head. “I agree. If we can find Wilhelm, we can find those holding him and defeat them. I’m ... I’m on your side now Clarissa, in everything.” Clarissa blinked as he bowed his head in embarrassment. “I’m sorry about my cowardice earlier. I’ve had my head kicked into shape a bit since, I’m ready to help you and do my responsibility as a father now.”

“Well... good” she replied carelessly, opening a warp portal behind her to another area of the VDS. “Saves me having to beat you into realisation myself. Now let’s go.”

“Hey, I’m coming to” Sakura leapt after Clarissa as she passed into the other area. “I still don’t trust you after everything. I’m not letting you out of my sight.” Rokuro and Daiki watched Sakura go with a baffled look, whilst on the backseat of the runner Jin continued to snore lightly.

“This group sure is a colourful bunch” Daiki muttered. “Speaking of which, you heard from Hunter and Natsumi recently?” Rokuro shook his head before they too followed after the girls.

...00:44:12...

“It’s my turn.” Hunter drew as the group of runners charged through a tunnel in the mountainside.

Hunter: LP 4000, Speed 8, Hand 3, Field of Damsel equipped with Giga Mantis, Variable Form
War: LP 4000, Speed 5, Hand 1, Field of Gemknight Master Diamond and Daigusta Emerald
Natsumi: LP 1000, Speed 2, Hand empty, Field of a face down
Famine: LP 1600, Speed 6, Hand empty, Field of Dragoon D-End, Malicious Edge and two face downs

“I activate the effect of Speed World 2.” It was desperate now, and ugly tactics were needed. But now ugly would do nicely. “By removing four of my speed counters, I can inflict damage to one player equal to the number of speed spells in my hand times eight hundred. My target is Famine.” Revealing ‘End of the Storm’ in his hand (sp4), Hunter’s engines fired right in the face of the chasing duelist, making him shriek horribly (LP 800). It had worked once; Famine was now on the brink. “Alright, same again then.”

“You think I’ll go down to this sort of cheap tactic?” Famine yelled. “I activate ‘Damage Polarizer’. This negates an effect that would deal damage. Then we both get to draw one card.”

“Bugger!” Hunter swore as his speed dropped to zero. Still, he hadn’t expected that too finish off this sort of opponent. “Alright then, I activate the effect of Variable Form. This lets me unequip Gigamantis and summon it back to the field. Then by releasing him, I can summon ‘Inzecter Gigaweevil’ from my hand.” An armoured bug carrying an axe appeared in the space vacated by Mantis (Lv6, ATK 0). “Then I activate the effect of Damsel, equipping it with Ameise to increase its level to six. Xyz summon!”

The two monsters spirits turned to comets of energy to join the gold plated beetle shooting from the vortex created for it. “I summon ‘Inzecter Exa-Beetle’, and use its effect to equip it with Mantis from my cemetery. This triggers both of their effects.” Armed and ready, Exa-Beetle buzzed as its power grew way above everything else on the field (Rk6, ATK 3600). “Now I activate the effect of Exa-Beetle...”

“You will activate nothing!” Famine cried behind him. There was something oddly cheery about his voice, even as his trap revealed. “’Demon Chain’ wraps itself around your little pest, preventing it from attacking or using its effect!”
Hunter scowled as his monster was again bound by heavy chains. Every move they made, these guys were ready to protect each other. “Bah, I place two cards face down and end my turn.”

“Then it’s my turn” War declared as he snatched his card. As he tipped it to see what he’d got something about his reaction, however masked he was, gave away his excitement. “Famine, I have it!”

“Then do it!” Famine chuckled. “Now then you deluded fools, allow us to demonstrate our full power. You see throughout this duel, we’ve been waiting for the opportunity to be right to use our true strength. Now that Exa-Beetle is on the field, if that really is the best you can do, that is the time.”

“I don’t understand” Natsumi gasped. “Why wait for us to summon a monster like Exa-Beetle?”

“Because Miss Firefly” Famine chuckled even more ominously, making her neck prickle. “We have left Hunter alone in this duel so far until he summoned a stronger monster...”

“...because that is exactly what we wanted him to do!” War cried. “I activate the other effect of Emerald. By detaching an overlay unit, I can special summon one effect-less monster from my cemetery. Return Zirconia.” The round warrior burst through the hell’s gate, flying alongside Master Diamond. “Then I activate the speed spell ‘Tune Up 123’. This increases the level of a monster I control by up to three. I increase Zirconia’s level by one.” Hunter and Natsumi shuddered as the spell took effect, and War reached into his extra deck and held his chosen card high. “Overlay level nine! Xyz summon!”

“A rank nine?! This is really bad!” Natsumi gulped as the two monsters turned to sparks and went suddenly upwards, into a huge vortex swirling just below the aurora. “What the hell?”

“Behold the magnificence of my ultimate weapon of war. The undefeatable, the all destroying, ‘Number 9: Canopy Star – Dyson Sphere’!”

Something above them exploded as a large sun of a seal sank from the vortex, floating high overhead and releasing waves of heat. Slowly the light of the aurora vanished as it was blocked out by the monstrous machine that came out of the seal. Craning their vision skywards, Natsumi and Hunter watched open mouthed as a massive satellite unfolded itself, the sun becoming a core at the heart of its body as several giant plates unfolded to cover the whole sky above them, its overlay units floating around the energy source of the colossus. Floating ominously, silently overhead in the sky, looking down at them like they were nothing (Rk9, ATK 2800).

“I activate the effect of Dyson Sphere” War continued coolly. “When an opponent controls a monster with higher attack than it has, I can detach an overlay unit from it. Then Dyson Sphere can attack that opponent directly.” The two duelists veered out wide onto the track away from Hunter as one of the satellites overlay units vanished into the sun, charging its laser as it locked onto its target. “Goodbye, meddler. War destroys you!”

“Hunter!” Natsumi yelled as Dyson Sphere fired, bathing the awestruck Hunter in a column of blinding light. Time seemed to slow and stop for a few seconds. Something in the laser exploded, and Hunter’s runner suddenly shot backwards, rolling and bouncing on its side somewhere back along the track.

“Hunter... why? How could you?”

“So... he didn’t have a Numbers to protect him” War answered coldly. “Well, don’t waste your tears girl. Unless you have Numbers protecting you, you will join him in hell now! Daigusta Emerald, take her down.” The green plated warrior swooped, bladed gauntlet ready to slash across her.

“Never! I activate ‘Cry of the Living Dead’! This special summons Laval Burner back to my field.” The stronger stone golem re-emerged at the last second, just in time to protect her (ATK 2100).

“Well, whatever” War shrugged. “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

Natsumi didn’t move at first, as the remaining duelists roared on through a long straight over the mountains. She just sat bent over her runner with her head bowed, struggling to speak. “You... you blasted him away like he was nothing. When he was searching to try and rescue you.” Ahead of her the armoured knight simply shrugged his spiked shoulders, his partner remaining equally silent. “You... you are going to be the ones who suffer for this! My draw!”

War: LP 4000, Speed 8, Hand empty, Field of Number 9: Dyson Sphere, Daigusta Emerald and face down
Natsumi: LP 1000, Speed 4, Hand 1, Field of a Laval Burner (Cry of the Living Dead)
Famine: LP 800, Speed 7, Hand 1, Field of Dragoon D-End, Malicious Edge and Demon Chain

“First of all, I activate the effect of ‘Laval Lady of the Burning Lake’ from my cemetery. By banishing it and Tender, I can destroy your face down card.” War’s face down exploded in a blaze of fire. “Next, because my life points are down to a thousand, I can special summon ‘The Boundless Dead’ from my hand.”

A shuffling mummy appeared on the field beside her. An unusual inclusion for a Laval deck, but not for her turbo deck and not for what she needed of it (Lv5, ATK 2000). “Now I overlay my level five monsters. Xyz Summon!” Once more the rage of her guardian began to run through her every fibre as the molten seal rose beside her, breaking to hatch the monster within. Free once again, ‘Volcasaurus’ roared up at the thing in the sky in defiance as it took to the field (Rk5, ATK 2500).

“Now I activate the effect of Number 61: Volcasaurus. By detaching an overlay unit, one monster on the field is destroyed. Then its duelist takes damage equal to the destroyed monsters attack points!” [i]‘At least I can take care of Famine, and hopefully survive War until my next turn and do something.’[/i] My target is Dragoon D-End! Volca, unleash your fiery wrath. Mag-Max!”

Famine spun his runner around and rode backwards to face the coming attack, as Volcasaurus craned its neck back to unleash its rage, throwing his last card away. “I don’t think so. I activate the ‘Effect Veiler’ in my hand. By sending it to the cemetery, your little lizard’s effect is negated this turn.”

“No!” Natsumi looked up at her ace as its fiery breath petered out, its roar dying with it. Her slim chances had absolutely gone. [i]‘There’s nothing I can do. I’ve lost...’[/i] “Volca... attack Emerald...”

With a hollow resignation, Natsumi did the only thing left open to her in one last act of defiance. Even the Numbers slashing attack seemed half hearted as though it sensed her pain, throwing Emerald into the dirt and causing War a slight grunt (LP 3300). Head bowed and slowing as the race moved onto a long bridge expanding over a river deep in the gorge between two peaks, Natsumi waited for the inevitable as Famine, still riding backwards, drew his card and nodded his quiet approval.

“Your suffering will end now, Natsumi” he said solemnly. “But... it is not enough to just defeat you with Dragoon D-End. It would not have the necessary impact, nor would not be fitting for you to be ended that way. That is why this must be done. I activate my own copy of the Tune Up 123 speed spell. This increases the level of Malicious Edge by three (Lv10). Then I overlay level ten.” Natsumi gulped as the two monsters were sucked into another vortex overhead for an even higher ranked Number. “This is the end. Come to me, ‘Number 75: Apocalypse Wyvern’!”

With a crash of thunder and lightning across the sky somewhere behind the massive Dyson Sphere, a set of dark wicked claws sank first from the vortex. A massive dragon descended on torn leathery wings, its massive body smothered with blood over its soulless black scales. One red eye opened, glaring down at her as it readied itself (Rk10, ATK 3500). Below it, its master raised his hand in victory. “Now Apocalypse Wyvern, finish it! Attack Volcasaurus!”

The dragon dutifully obeyed, taking in a deep breath of black flame as it flew down towards the helpless dinosaur. Natsumi rode beneath it, staying by its side and facing the terrible dragon. Until the end.

[i]“Move!”[/i]

Natsumi didn’t react until something slammed into her side at high speed, sending her lurching sideways and into the wall of the bridge as it pushed against her. Shocked enough to look away from Apocalypse Wyvern, Natsumi blinked as Hunter appeared beside her, battered and bruised and with a grim look on his face as he looked at her, seemingly oblivious to what was above him. Somewhere over his shoulder the still chained beetle flew on. “What?”

“You have to go!” Hunter said. He looked so calm it was unnerving, even if he couldn’t completely hide the fear in his voice. “I’ll take care of this. You find the others. Find Rokuro and tell him what happened.” Natsumi shook her head. Along the track Famine and War, even the Number, had all stopped in disbelief that this guy was back. “Don’t worry about me, just go.”

Still Natsumi refused. “Fine.”

Hunter pulled away from her to the other side of the bridge, revved his engine, then before she could react came charging back and crashed into her again. Her runner jolted up as she hit the wall again, she was losing her grip on the handles. With a little additional shove, she was clawing at thin air and falling through the night skies beneath the bridge towards the river thousands of metres below. The others and their monsters (except the ever ominous Dyson Sphere) disappeared into dots as they passed over the bridge back into the mountains, maybe with one last look down at her as she plummeted downwards.

“HELP!”

With a roar Volca appeared above her, diving after her and driving itself through the air towards her. It caught her in its claws and wrapped itself around her just in time, seconds before they hit the river with a deafening splash.

Back up on the mountain track, Hunter watched the dinosaur hit the water and disappear, continuing to look down at that spot even as the bridge ended and drove back into mountainous terrain. [i]‘Natsumi. In this short time I’ve known you; I hope I’ve helped you. More than I helped Rokuro or Vladimir. Take what I’ve told you and use it, and don’t hold it against me. I’m... sorry...’[/i] Apologies made, Hunter turned to face the two stunned looking attackers ahead of him and ride headlong into the challenge. [i]‘I still have a chance. One of my face downs is ‘Zekt Conversion’. If either of them attacks my Exa-Beetle with his Number, I can steal it for myself. It might work, but if it doesn’t... Then no regrets. Bring it on.’[/i]

Smiling in the face of death, Hunter readied himself. “Sorry fella’s. Just couldn’t help myself.”

Famine looked at him for a while, possibly amazed behind his mask, before slowly shaking his head. “Then you will pay the price for your meaningless heroics. I activate the effect of Number 75. Let’s see you survive this...”

Far below the mountains, the battered Volcasaurus finally resurfaced on its back and uncurled around a trembling Natsumi. The rapid current had already taken them out of sight of the bridge, but she could still see Dyson Sphere high in the skies... readying to fire. Her stomach clenched as she watched the laser fire down to earth, forcing her to shield her eyes. When she could look back, Dyson Sphere was slowly vanishing into the aurora, obscured by a trail of smoke as she drifted away. “Damn it! Hunter!”

Exhausted and drained, Wilhelm closed the panel in front of him and flopped against the side of his wheelchair, swallowing in great lumps of air. Noticing he had stopped, Garvan and Evos wandered over from where they were working on the dish and grabbed him by the neck. “What are you doing? Keep working.”

“But I’ve... finished... it...” Wilhelm gasped, watching their amazed reactions as they withdrew and leaving him to contemplate the consequences of what he had done.

00:59:58... 00:59:59... 01:00:00...[/spoiler]

And not a single damn was given.

[spoiler=Review contains spoilers] Can I have the link to wherever you got Number 75 from? It's just that I've never seen it before, and it's certainly not on the wiki...

Duel seems alright, but some cards like Giga-Weevil and The Boundless Dead seem a bit forced. The Speed Spells are completely fine, I usually accept them so long as they're not game breaking.

As for the result, its at that curious stage in the plot where I'm not sure whether people have died or not...
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Everyone loves spoilers!]
Hunter, why would you do that :( You were too cool to die :( *cries a little*

Anyway...this was an awesome chapter. The duel really was good. Although, Boundless Dead did seem a bit random. Oh, and I find it hilarious how the Inzektor and Laval players got owned by Gem-Knights and D-Heroes.

Also, if you kill off Wilhem, you will die painfully. K?
[/spoiler]

*creeps into forum expecting a torrent of abuse...*

Hmm, no abuse. Well, that's cool, I guess.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1340970771' post='5963785']
And not a single damn was given.

[spoiler=Review contains spoilers] Can I have the link to wherever you got Number 75 from? It's just that I've never seen it before, and it's certainly not on the wiki...

Duel seems alright, but some cards like Giga-Weevil and The Boundless Dead seem a bit forced. The Speed Spells are completely fine, I usually accept them so long as they're not game breaking.

As for the result, its at that curious stage in the plot where I'm not sure whether people have died or not...
[/spoiler][/quote]

Thanks for commenting.

[spoiler=Answers contains spoilers. Everybody catch up!]
Er, yeah, funny thing that. See, thing is... I er,

alright, I had to make one up! Yeah I know, I didn't want to either, but friggin Konami screwed me up :angry:

When I started writing this back in December, Giant Killer and Shark Drake had just been released, and we knew Focus Force and Thunderspark Dragon were on the way. So at the time we had twenty. So there I was thinking oh okay, well I'll probably need 30 over the fic so that's fine, especially since when it gets to the finals people will probably spam Numbers left right and center.

I did not forsee the production of new Numbers to slow to one a month over the last seven months, and for six out of the seven to be archtype commited (which is why I haven't put OOPArts, Gimmick Puppets and Heraldic Beasts in, because I haven't wanted to make it obvious who has what Numbers when they summon their first monster).

Giga-Weevil had to be summoned in place of Giga-Mantis so the latter could then equip to Exa-Beetle. Boundless Dead was unnatural, I tried to justify it as Natsumi put it in there "just specifically to summon Volca". The natural thing to do would have been Cannon > Tender > Laval Dragon. But Dragon's effect would have stuffed it and you couldn't justifiably ignore it for Twinslayer or something.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1340989583' post='5963844']
[spoiler=Everyone loves spoilers!]
Hunter, why would you do that :( You were too cool to die :( *cries a little*

Anyway...this was an awesome chapter. The duel really was good. Although, Boundless Dead did seem a bit random. Oh, and I find it hilarious how the Inzektor and Laval players got owned by Gem-Knights and D-Heroes.

Also, if you kill off Wilhem, you will die painfully. K?
[/spoiler][/quote]

Again thanks for commenting.

[spoiler=Yay, more spoilers]
It's especially hilarious as it was a Synchro and Xyz deck getting owned by two fusion decks... in a turbo duel. But turbo duel was kinda right for this one, I had to do for Natsumi at some point. Plus chases and getting her away.

If you're going to die, at least do so heroically.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1341064564' post='5964311']
Why must you kill off Hunter, just after I start to like the guy. I like Sakura's new role though, and am wondering how that will turn out between Sakura and Clarissa.
[/quote]

Because I'm a git?

But yep, death by card games is now in play. As for the rules regarding this, it will vary depending on who is dueling and the scenario, but there will be a basic level of consistency applied throughout that kinda wasn't done that well in Armageddon IMHO, hopefully, so don't worry about that. Just don't assume that 0 LP will automatically equal death. In fact don't assume anything. Don't guess at anything. :)

The relationship between them is going to be a long term thing, not just a flash in the pan rivalry to fill a chapter and forgotten about.

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1341146160' post='5964781']
[spoiler='HIPSTER']I think that was a wise decision, and I was almost gonna suggest it myself. Unknown effects are always interesting. Good chapter.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

That was the plan. I'm not happy with having to include custom Numbers, but given that I've now used 20 out of 27, another couple will appear before the arcs end, I was kinda stuffed. Especially as I felt they both had to summon one, and it would have been a bit weird had Vladimir used a Rank 9 and then Unmai a Rank 4 or something. :blink:

There was a longer version, where Hunter survives a turn to bring out Exa-Stag and have a go for a Number snatch, but it would have been draggin it out just for the sake of getting Exa-Stag in and ended a bit of a damp squib. But at least Vladimir got the finish as was advised by Saber, which was better in reflection even if it wasn't 'seen'.

Thanks.

Struggling to finish, but hopefully will by the end of this week, write the arc closer. On a First Aid course the next few days instead of work, so will have more time to hopefully get it done (and be awesome).

Archived