Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when it gets to the point where we have about FIVE mystery characters running around (Daiki can sort of count as one, since we really don't know all that much about him), it's a little much. I don't mind, but it got to the point where I totally forgot about Murtagh. And since he's supposed to be important, forgetting him is something the author should try to avoid for the readers. Still, it wasn't a bad chapter, what with Machu Mach and all. (I just KNEW Number 33 was gonna show when I read Minimum Guts. I knew it!)

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1334820996' post='5918782']
Good, I'm liking the story but I don't want to wait too long for who the mysterious characters are to be revealed.
[/quote]

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1334866174' post='5919118']
I personally liked the chapter. Umbra's right though, there are a lot of mysterious people jumping out of nowhere...they are cool though.
[/quote]

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1334866390' post='5919126']
My guess about the girl seems to be right (this is repetitive, I know and apologize for lacklusterness. Or however you build a noun from that.)
I didn't mind the DEM that much. Didn't seem that random.
[/quote]

[quote name='Corona Ray' timestamp='1334887893' post='5919545']
Well, when it gets to the point where we have about FIVE mystery characters running around (Daiki can sort of count as one, since we really don't know all that much about him), it's a little much. I don't mind, but it got to the point where I totally forgot about Murtagh. And since he's supposed to be important, forgetting him is something the author should try to avoid for the readers. Still, it wasn't a bad chapter, what with Machu Mach and all. (I just KNEW Number 33 was gonna show when I read Minimum Guts. I knew it!)
[/quote]

Okay, [i]maybe[/i]... just [i]maybe[/i]... there are a few too many mystery characters roaming the VDS. Natsumi and Dai are just normal(ish) people without much background information yet so we'll take them out of the equation for a minute. All I will say on them is this; there are four main mystery characters (the fourth makes his reappearance in 9:2 as mentioned, along with others who are coming back in). These four are special, and they are connected. Who they are, what they do and what their roles are will be more or less confirmed by the end of the arc (you've only got 3 weeks to wait).

Seems that in pre-planning making this a confusing mystery storyline compared to Armageddon that I've gone too far.

Next chapter will be up probably late saturday my time, just as and when I can get computer access right now. Will certainly finish the arc on schedule; going to finish chapter 23 today (only little bit to do) and have a break and do extra chapter 4 on sunday, and give myself all next week to do chapter 24.

Ps: I still lay claim to originally inventing the whole Machu Mach/Minimum Guts combo I did.

So... home internet appears to be fixed for now (not relaxing yet) and normal service should be resumed.

So here's Chapter 9:2 to celebrate.

A lot of... odd goings on in this chapter, as we take a break away from the likes of Daiki and Clarissa and Jin and Hideo and so on. Hopefully a little light might be shed on all these mysterious characters that are causing such confusion. Or maybe you'll all just get more confused. Also a quick duel, and its a bit odd as well.

Really wanted to get this one in for a couple of reasons, and here (as extra chapters are reserved for events outside the 24 hours), will be interesting to see how it goes down. See who can remember the duel the idea for this one came from.

[spoiler=Chapter 9:2]
On the high cliffs of the Necrovalley, Murtagh was sat on the edge of the rock face and surveying the scene far below, dangling his boots over the edge as was his way. After detecting the presence of Kaneko appearing in this location he had warped straight there, as had many others so it seemed. How could they not have when she had appeared with such a deliberate bang? The barrier she had raised between her and the angels trying to get at her and the young boy she was aiding might have been too strong for them to overcome, but he could see right through it, and had observed the final throes of the duel between the boy and the drone with great interest. The little boy seemed hopeless without her aid, but she had given him a Numbers regardless. Very curious behaviour to be sure, but she must have her reasons for doing so. The boy must have a role in her plans no doubt, and his appearance would have to be accommodated in his own.

Below him the crowd of blackened angels was dispersing and leaving for various locations throughout the VDS to perform their more regular functions for the woman Clarissa. He had seen she had decided to grace them with her presence for a short while too, appearing on the cliff on the opposite side of the gorge. Kaneko was obviously important enough to her to get involved personally, but then she was important to everyone. She had power that could be devastating in the wrong hands, or indeed could be dangerous if left unchecked to her own devices, given her young age. All was much for him to ponder.

[i]“Hey you!”[/i]

Murtagh dragged himself out of his wandering thoughts at the summons to see who had addressed him. He had not expected anyone else to be up here, or for any of the drones to challenge him, and he would have recognised the voice of a drone. Instead the figure standing behind him was totally unexpected. A teenage boy of a large build, enhanced by the thick stone armour he was clad in, was walking towards him with a mixed expression, one that was trying to hide a fear behind a mask of serious grit. How an average player had got all the way up here was not impossible, just unlikely to be bothered with, but this guy had obviously gone to the length of the hike for some reason. The teenager stopped a few metres away from him before he continued. “You! Did you cause that weird vibration half an hour ago?”

“No” Murtagh replied flatly. “That was someone else. Why, what business is it with you? And why are you so bothered about it? It didn’t do anything to the VDS or anyone in it if you’re worried about something like that.”

“Pah, I’m not worried. Do you think I’d come if I was worried by what I might find?” Murtagh had to give the brutish teen that one, even if the conviction of the words wavered slightly in his speech. “I am the West Asian champion, the Tsar of Stone, the mighty Vladimir Kanchev. I came here because I’m trying to find a certain duelist. One who I think would have the ability to cause that wave or whatever it was that shook the world. As soon as I felt it, I managed to pinpoint it and come here. Is the duelist still here?”

Murtagh shook his head and stood to leave. “Well sorry, but you got here too late, they just left. As am I. Been a pleasure though... Vladimir Kanchev.”

“Wait wait, maybe you would know this duelist I search for. I am looking for an old man who plays a Ritua deck.”

The Russian’s words stunned Murtagh, freezing him in place as the words reverberated in him, although the boy did not seem to notice the effect they’d had. “I don’t know what his name is, but he appears as a tall guy with wrinkled skin and a white cloak and hood that turns blue when he duels. He has a D-Disk that looks like a gold mirror, like the aqua mirror of the Ritua. Do you know who he is?”

From the man’s change in expression, Vladimir guessed he did know him. He was slow and deliberate in choosing his words. “How do you know of that duelist? Why do you seek him?”

“Ha, so you do know him. Well a couple of hours ago, this old man challenged me to a duel. He wanted to take a card I had just won away from me, and... well... I’m embarrassed to say... he wiped the floor with me. The result seemed to knock me out for a while, but I won’t allow my reputation to be just torn apart like that. No-one wipes the floor with me. That’s why I want a rematch.”

Murtagh shook his head, his expression dark. “Vladimir, I cannot think of a single more stupid thing you could want to do. The duelist you speak of, a being called Methuselah, is more powerful than you can imagine. I’m surprised you survived one encounter with him, I’m guessing your Number was all that protected you.” Vladimir seemed to jump at the accuracy of his guess, but it was only logical. The poor boy didn’t have any idea, although the flatness of his statement seemed to have knocked him back a little. “Trust me, that is one rematch you don’t want. I’d let it go for now.” Murtagh went to leave again, but the Russian grabbed his arm. His expression was so desperate. “I can’t let it go. I need to beat him, whatever you say. It will haunt me forever if I lost and never tried to avenge it. Can you not help me somehow?”

“You won’t give up, no matter how much I warn you otherwise?”

“No. My resolve is set in stone.”

Reluctantly, under the young man’s desperate pleas, Murtagh sighed. “Fine, come with me.”

One warp later, and Vladimir found himself standing in a cave in the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ravine"]Dragon Ravine[/url] with his mysterious aid. Murtagh had gone across the cave and started searching for something amongst a large pile of metal and electronic devices, leaving him free to poke around. The cave was spacious, dry and warm, the seemingly ideal nesting place for young dragons. Murtagh seemed to have made a basic living place of it, as if he permanently resided here with his junk, which was odd. Vladimir lost interest in these things, and looked towards the back of the cave. There looked to be a second cave beyond that, and in the gloom appeared a giant shadow, he couldn’t quite make it out from here...

“Hey, come back here.”

Murtagh didn’t seem too pleased with him wandering around his home. In his arms was a duel disk with some bulky modifications. “Honestly do you want my help or not? Anyway, this D-Disk has a D-Anchor attachment similar to what the demon angels you may have seen are using. You launch it at a duelist by doing this, and that forces them to duel. I give you this because I can’t see Methuselah wanting to duel you again unless you had more Numbers to try and take from you. You do have some more right?”

Vladimir decided to lie and said he had, as with Murtagh’s help he removed his old D-Disk and attach this new one. Whether he believed him, he wasn’t sure. “Right, well Numbers are going to be your best chance of attack and defending yourself. Now this attachment, this will stop him changing into his duel mode. Don’t fiddle with it, it’s delicate. You’ll also be protected from anything underhand he might try.” With much effort, Murtagh got the D-Disk over the heavy gauntlet. “Do you have a family Vladimir?”

“Is this another attempt to deter me?” the young man asked. Murtagh shrugged in reply. “Yeah, I got just my ma. She has a boyfriend, a foreigner we only see every few months. He’s alright, I guess.”

“I see... Well, I’m going to warp you to a place where I know Methuselah frequents. The place is an area of limited access, so it’s usually empty except for him and his followers. Before Methuselah appears himself, you’ll probably get challenged by one of them. Just wait patiently, and someone will appear eventually. Duel them. That should get his attention, and you may get some Numbers to prepare yourself for the battle against him. Look; just do whatever you need to do, get your closure or whatever you need, and get out and back to your ma. What I think you’re doing is a bad idea but if you really want to do it then that’s your choice.”

“I’m doing what I think I have to. For my own honour. Thank you for your help.” The Russian took Murtagh by both hands, shook them vigorously, and vanished into the portal behind him.

...16:35:24...

“At ease.”

Two mercenaries saluted their new commander as he ordered them to stand down. Didier looked them over with a disgusted look, but that was no fault of their own. They seemed unhappy themselves, which was easily understandable. News of what had happened to Hasif had reached the group quickly and it had bought a mixed response; depending on how well each man knew him or his successor. These two were long serving pirates with Didier, but still he had found them standing and grumbling to each other as he approached. “What is the problem?”

“Commander, we have been holding this building for hours, for all the non-existent trouble it has been worth” the older one replied. “With every passing minute, we and the others worry the country will be less likely to give us our money, and more prepared to attack us. Has she made her demands to the government? Have we any news on when we get paid our money?”

Didier’s expression darkened. “No, as far as I am aware she is yet to discuss financial dealings with the powers of this country. Do you think I’m not aggravated by this as well? I am trying to hasten her to do so, but she seems busier playing with them and the people who use this silly game.”

“Sir, do you know what she intends for this company we’ve taken? What her other objectives are?”

“Bah, no I don’t. I don’t care as long as I am paid. And we will be paid for our services. Just continue with your duties. I will continue to pressure her into getting our money. If there are any more delays or excuses, then we will remind her of what she promised us and if she cannot fulfil it, we will take matters into our own hands and start negotiations ourselves.”

...16:37:44...

“What were you thinking appearing in the world like that? After the deception of your disappearance, you just alerted everyone to your existence?”

“But sensei, I had to get involved at some time. I want people to know I’m still here, that I am coming back to fight and take what’s mine and stop them. And Jin was in trouble...”

“Ah yes, this Jin? What is so special about him that you had to risk yourself for him? What makes you so sure he is strong enough to do what you ask? And to risk giving him a Number.”

Withering under the stream of verbal reprimands, Kaneko sank into her seat; her usual exuberance lost under the stern gaze of her master. Sitting watching the wizened Methuselah pace back and forth, muttering to himself and wringing his gnarled hands together, was not the most comfortable position. Since she had transported Jin to safety and set him on his way to gather the Numbers users who might help her and get them to work together, she had returned to the area that she and the old duelist called home. Not a regular field spell created by the programmers of the original world like the standard areas, this was a place of their own creation. A realm of pure light, where stars shone endlessly in the skies around them like the luminous ground they stood on. This place never changed like the regular areas of the VDS, unless they willed it.

Methuselah sighed and slumped backwards, landing into a comfy white armchair that appeared in thin air behind him. With a further wave of the hand, a large decanter of clear liquid appeared on a table at the side of the chair. Anything they needed could be summoned in this fashion. “Miss, please try to understand I am doing everything I can to protect you, but you do not make it easy. I know you want to fight, but charging head on is too dangerous.”

“I know sensei. That’s why we need help. Jin will help, and he will find others who will help. I just can’t cower and hide when my friends are in trouble... when my friends are in pain.” Methuselah sighed again, and allowed the drink to pour itself.

“You are so young. Your courage and intentions are pure, but tinged with naivety.” Kaneko pouted at this remark, which caused further scowling. “You are too important to endanger yourself like that. There are powerful forces after you. If you were lost, then everyone you are trying to protect would be in greater danger.”

“.... I’m sorry sensei. It’s just hard to watch at times.”

“I know...”

The two sat in silence for a while, before Methuselah eventually rose. “I think I should check on the progress of my own little helper soon. Just, please miss, just stay here and keep yourself safe.”

“Okay sensei. I promise I’ll stay here for now.”

...16:41:24...

Darkness.

A never-ending wall of dark cloud surrounded them. Thick rolls of heavy black fog sweeping the scorched earth that the two men were laid out upon, climbing high above and blocking out the sun and everything around them. All there was in this space was the fog, the earth, and the blurry silhouette of each other. Both wore their regular work clothes, dishevelled and torn. One man laid flat on his back, strain evident on his round face and sweat tingled and matting his normally pristine hair. The other was on his front, his skin more deathly pale than normal, and a small heat bruise had formed around his left temple.

Both men stirred and with great struggle pushed themselves upright, facing away from each other. The seconds seemed to go on forever here, as they both struggled to gather their senses and their bearings. Neither of them had ever seen this area of the VDS before. Something definitely suggested it was the VDS, nothing they could put their finger on as to why, they just knew, but this place they did not recognise. Both men turned to scan the horizon. There was nothing but the fog. Nothing, except the smoky silhouette of the other man. Each of them blinked slowly at the sight of the other.

They had not time to react further, as a third presence entered the area. Not physically, but a conscience that pressed against the minds of the two service operators from Real Duel who were responsible for the maintenance of this world. The weight of this force was as heavy and dark as the fog around them. Perhaps the fog was its physical form. Either way, a low rumbling echoed in the minds of both men, as the conscience spoke to them both.

[i]“Umimoto Bozu. Hakai Unmai. Welcome. I understand that you are both feeling weary and confused. Do not worry, I will ease your pain and explain where you are and why, as long as you allow me to do so uninterrupted. Some of what I will tell to you will no doubt shock, anger and upset you. But as much as it may hurt you now, you will become far stronger later.”[/i]

Both men dimly acknowledged the statement. Their senses were still dulled and sluggish, making thinking laborious as they tried to gather themselves. Thoughts and memories slipped away from them as they tried to work out what was going on, leaving them unable to do anything but allow the presence in their minds fill the gaps for them as it choose.

[i]“This place where we currently reside is not somewhere you could have ever known about during your services to Real Duel, for it is a void that is disconnected from the rest of the virtual world. A creation of the pieces of my own subconscious as they gathered and reformed here, where I have since resided deep beneath the surface of the virtual world, where no-one would ever find the scattered fragments of my mind and soul as they gathered here in peace and slumbered.”[/i]

Both Bozu and Unmai could see the others beaten and dazed expression as the voice continued. [i]“You stand here now in this place due to a similar process. I was able to use my power to draw similar fragments of the two of you together here much more quickly, as they had not drifted apart so much as mine that floated the lengths of the virtual world for decades. Here you stand now as just shadows of existence; merely pieces of your memories and impressions left by figments of your mind on the virtual world. This is all that remains of you. I am greatly saddened to inform you that in the real world, you are both dead.”[/i]

As the words echoed around his mind, Bozu sank to his hands and knees, a choked look on his face as he struggled to understand, and to think of the ones who he had left behind. A blurred memory was there for a moment, a faint image of a woman and child, but they were quickly gone and erased. As their memory faded, Bozu’s despair seemed to lessen. Across the plain Unmai blinked several times in numb shock; a flash of what had happened returned to him briefly. Subconsciously he reached for the burn on the side of his head. His hand passed straight into it. Looking down at his hands, he could see his body was a mirage, made of nothing but smoke. As his colleague mirrored his actions, so was Bozu.

[i]“Perhaps you would prefer to know of why you died. Bozu, your death was caused by an irregular power fluctuation; a freak incident that occurred precisely at the moment of your defeat in a duel between Numbers holders. Crushed by the power of the Number you had along with this sudden dip in the damage control of the VDS safety programs, your mind overloaded and collapsed. Unmai, you had briefly escaped from the VDS, so I cannot say for certain what happened. However it seems logical to assume you were caught, and as you were reinserted someone shot you in the head. Your last moments of consciousness were spent half in and half out of the VDS, which is where I was able to collect you. However to generalise, you were both killed whilst immersed in the VDS by a militia group that used you to gather the powers that have emerged here called Numbers, and when you failed or resisted, you were disposed off. Now here you both are, as the last pieces of your broken beings. All that remains of you.”[/i]

Visions from the last few hours swam before them. Of the capture of Real Duel by Clarissa and her men. Of the sadistic Wilhelm defeating President Shinawatra. Of their forced service as duel drones as Clarissa’s army, slaughtering regular VDS users for the Numbers. Bozu; of his Number Leviath Dragon being attacked, collapsing on top of him, and the feeling of his mind exploding. Unmai; of his duel against the Somalian Hasif, of seeing Clarissa and what she was doing and ordering his redeployment as a weapon, a brief shock and then darkness. As these scenes played over and over and over, they began to shake and swell up. The voice gave them a moment before interrupting.

[i]“You are both angered by what has happened to you? How you were used as weapons, and then led to your own deaths? Well, perhaps I can offer you something. They who did this to you are trying to gain great power by collecting forces from this world, which they used you to collect for them by bloody means. It is my wish to stop forces like those who killed you. The world we once knew is filled with such forces, constantly warring and killing, breaking the world. The VDS was an escape from that wretched existence at first, but now it is just the same. People will stop at nothing to achieve more power. I will not allow it. I will fix the broken world, but I am not strong enough to do it alone. I need aids in my quest to stop the fighting and killing, like you. If you join me, I can restore you with new bodies during our crusade here. When we succeed, I may be able to do even more to restore you. Not to a full normal life like you knew I admit, but a life more than just a shadow. Would either of you do this, help me save this world? Continue to live on, and have your revenge on those who murdered you like others cannot?”[/i]

There was a pause as the men considered the offer. Of a continued life, of being resurrected? Of getting revenge on those responsible? Visions of Unmai’s monsters appeared around him, standing looking at him. The dark warriors of justice. He didn’t want to die. Stirred by their gathering, he accepted the offer. Across the field, Bozu was surrounded by ghosts of his lost family. The family he couldn’t leave, if he had any chance to get back to them. He accepted as well.

As they did, the weight of the presence on them seemed to withdraw slightly. The voice was different now, as if slightly strained. [i]“I see. However, I regret that I am not strong enough to restore the both of you. It has taken a great deal of my power to piece what there is of you together so quickly in hopes that one of you might accept my offer, for time is limited. I only have enough strength left to fully restore one of you.” [/i]At the voices words, the two men felt a shift in the fog around their arm and looked down to see a smoky black D-Disk form around the wrist. Inside it was each of the cards in their deck from their final duel. [i]“This is the simplest way to determine who is strong enough to survive. I appreciate that you were colleagues in the past, but I must remind you that in this duel, your existence is wholly at stake. With each hit you take, more of you will be erased into the fog, more of the person you were will vanish, until nothing is left of you entirely. Only the strongest can make the difference in this war, but what a difference it will be. Only the strongest can be reborn.”[/i]

Slowly the two men turned to face each other, studying the other. The grip of despair and anger building inside of them took over. Indeed, they had known each other and worked closely during their careers at Real Duel. But now all they were was someone in the way of their own survival. Someone who knew what they knew; that they would do everything they could to destroy them to ensure their own life, whatever remained of it. There was no room for remorse or feeling, as the other would show them none. Now, as they armed their D-Disks, the man they once worked alongside was the biggest threat to their grip on existence, a threat that had to be annihilated without any mercy. Neither cared about anything else; nothing else mattered. They did not care even about the fact that neither of them had been given a conventional D-Gazer of any kind for this duel, or that no ARV barrier had formed around them. That could be worked out later; all that mattered now was clinging onto life however they could.

“Duel!”

“I will take the first move. Draw!” Bozu declared forcefully as the randomizer gave him the first move. “Magic card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Destruction"]Hand Obliteration[/url], forces us both to discard our entire hand to the cemetery, and then draw a new hand equal to the amount of cards we discarded.”

Unmai cut him a furious glare; obviously he had been forced to throw away a good opening hand with this. Usually it would be possible to confirm this via an in-duel menu on the D-Gazer, which allowed a player to view all the cards in either player’s cemetery, as both were permitted to at any time. For now without a D-Gazer there was no ability to do this, so Bozu could only assume Unmai had been forced to dump one of his strongest Destiny Heroes. However as he placed two cards into his gaseous D-Disk, they could both still see the backs of two cards appear in the space between them, half hidden as they were by the rolling murky clouds. “I set one monster in defence mode, and place one card face down. Turn end.”

“Alright, my turn. Summon, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Twin-Sword_Marauder"]Twin Breaker[/url]!" Unmai replied in anger. He might have lost a good opening hand with the likes of Diamond Guy, D Counter, and his almighty Destiny Hero Bloo-D, but this one had no shortage of power either. From a portal in the charred earth before him rose a masked warrior in eastern robes and little armour. Two swords were attached to its gauntlets, each with three blades that resembled longer versions of sai knives (Lv4, ATK 1600). Each blade ready to deal severe damage, as Unmai went for blood. “Twin Breaker will attack your face down monster. When he attacks a defence position monster whose defence is lower than his attack, you take the difference in piercing damage!”

As the dark warrior charged its target, the card flipped to release a small ocean blue flatfish that swam through the fog like it was water (Lv2, DEF 100). As the three blades cut through the small fish, Bozu sank in agony as he felt them rip through his being as well. The agony of each blade tearing deep through him, ripping through where muscle and bone used to be. The small fish was easily destroyed by the attack, and as Bozu got up again, both duelists could see the full effect of the damage (LP 2500).

Nearly half of Bozu’s body had vanished. His entire left leg, hip and side of his body, along with his lower right arm had turned to the black fog surrounded them and evaporated away, leaving him suspended upright by an unseen force like a puppet. As they inspected the damage, both felt a familiar press on them and although there were no words spoke, they immediately understood. The pain felt so intense, because to these men it was all that was real. The pressure to withstand each assault on their fragmented collection of being that was struggling to hold together was immense. It was taking all their energy to remain as they were, and taking damage weakened them and in that weakness, parts of them would fade away. Until one of their energies was spent and nothing of them remained.

Seeing the consequences of the attack seemed to inspire Bozu to respond with even greater rage, like a bull to a matador. “The effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Nimble_Sunfish"]Nimble Sunfish[/url] now activates. When it is destroyed by battle and sent to the cemetery, I can send another fish from my deck to join it there. Then another sunfish is summoned from my deck.”

A second fish swam through the opening portal (ATK 1000), however Unmai responded without mercy. “Now Twin Breaker’s second effect activates. When it destroys one defending monster, it can attack once again.” The swordsman lunged for the second fish with its other blade arm.

“From my cemetery, I activate the effect of the milled [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Friller_Rabca"]Killer Rabca[/url] By banishing it when an attack on a fish, aqua, or sea serpent monster is made, that attack is negated. Then the attacking monster loses five hundred attack points until my next end phase.” The ghostly form of a large shark appeared between the two monsters and blocked the attack with its razor edged fins, sending Breaker returning back a little weaker (ATK 1100).

This prompted another furious response from Unmai. Failure to land damage would make either man edgier and more desperate. “I set two cards and end my turn.”

“At this time, my face down trap activates” Bozu countered. “The trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fish_Depth_Charge"]Fishure Charge[/url]. By releasing a fish type monster, one card is destroyed!”

In front of Unmai the trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Defense_Draw"]Guard Block[/url] exploded, whilst across the field Bozu’s D-Disk offered him a new card. “Fishure Charge also allows me to draw one card. That, and it is now my turn.” Bozu took the cards offered to him one by one. As he drew the second one, a malicious glint appeared in his eyes. Now was the time to push for victory. For survival. “I will get out of here. I will see my family again, and I will crush however stands in my way to do it. Do you understand? Whatever it takes, however I have to fight, I will do it willingly if there is any chance I will see them again. You are nothing, just a necessary sacrifice to make. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Hammer_Shark"]Hammer Shark[/url]!"

A large hammerhead shark appeared before him, swinging its blunt weapon (Lv4, ATK 1700). “When a fish, aqua or sea serpent is summoned to my field, I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shark_Stickers"]Shark Sucker[/url] from my hand. Then I activate the effect of Hammer Shark, lowering its level by one to summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Jaws"]Big Jaws[/url] from my hand.” The large metal plated shark appeared beside the hammerhead (Lv3, ATK 1800), along with a small lithe barracuda (Lv3, ATK 200). “Next I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Slots"]Monster Slot[/url]. This magic targets one of the monsters on my field and one in my cemetery with the same level. By banishing the Spiked Sunfish in my cemetery, I can draw one card and reveal it. Plus if the card is a monster of the same level as the others, it is special summoned.”

A large one armed bandit appeared above Bozu, displaying images of the two targeted monsters on its reels while the third one spun. Unmai was sweating as Bozu drew his card, and the slots stopped to reveal...

“I draw [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wingtortoise"]Wingtortoise[/url], which is level three, and thus special summoned. Now I overlay level three Big Jaws and Hammer Shark, and Shark Sucker and Wingtortoise.” The four monsters vanished into two swirling vortexes, as the two Xyz summons fired simultaneously. “Seek and destroy. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Submersible_Carrier_Aero_Shark"]Aero Shark[/url]!"

From the vortex emerged two large monsters of the deep. Each Aero Shark was two sharks joined together by a large mother ship bridge, wings and missile bay around the upper body, linked together by an overlapping bridge (Rk3, ATK 1900). Bozu smirked as he held up his last card, the one he’d drawn. “Given the situation we are in, this shall be a fitting card with which to kill you! The magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Release"]Liberation of the Soul[/url]. This card banishes five monsters from my cemetery. So now I can activate the effect of both my Aero Sharks. Once per turn, by detaching an overlay unit, I can inflict damage to you equal to the number of my banished monsters times one hundred. I have seven banished monsters. Go Aero Sharks! Twin Air Tirade!”

One after the other a volley of missiles launched and struck around Unmai, burning and throwing him back and forth until he landed in a ruined heap. Staggering upright, his right shoulder and upper arm, his stomach, and both his upper legs had evaporated into darkness, leaving gaps between other floating limbs (LP 2600). And the worst was yet to come, as Bozu extended his remaining arm to point at him. “Now Aero Shark number one, attack Twin Breaker!”

Again Unmai was thrown backwards as the first pair of sharks crashed into the weakened swordsman, mercilessly destroying it. Now his left shoulder and arm extending down to his wrist were all turning to mist (LP 1800).

“This will finish you! Aero Shark number two, direct attack!”

“You won’t kill me! Not yet!” Unmai roared in kind as the second shark monster closed in on him with jaws open wide. “Trap activate; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Limit_Reverse"]Limit Rebirth[/url]! This special summons one monster with less than one thousand attack points from my cemetery. Protect me, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_HERO_-_Captain_Tenacious"]Destiny Hero Diehard Guy[/url]!"

The bare-chested warrior sprung in the way at the last second, crushed by the attack in an instant. Unmai could sense half of his face was floating away, along with most of his remaining torso and unattached feet, leaving only a few parts of him remaining in the fog struggling with the effort of keeping together, glaring with bitter hatred through his one remaining eye at his opponent (LP 700).

“So you survived for one more turn” Bozu was angrier about this than his voice let on as he tried to display calm. “I have no cards left, so I end my turn. Next turn, I will use the effect of my Aero Sharks to defeat you. For my own survival, I will kill you!”

“Not as long... as some part of me can fight... as long as I draw some form of breath...” Unmai shook as he drew. The result was just what he needed, although it was still a long shot. “I will fight until there is nothing left of me. I activate the magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Warrior_Returning_Alive"]The Warrior Returns Alive[/url] to add [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_HERO_-_Plasma"]Destiny Hero Bloo-D[/url] back to my hand. Then I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Polymerization"]Fusion[/url]!" A swirling vortex appeared above the remains of the duelist, pulling in the spectral forms of the two powerful warriors in his hand. “I fuse Bloo-D with Destiny Hero Dogma Guy to summon my ultimate monster. Punish the evil with absolute justice, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_End_Dragoon"]Dragoon D-End[/url]!"

From the swirling vortex emerged a terrible creature. Half warrior; a tall and muscular figure with a long sword producing from its right arm guard akin to Dogma, but also with the long and torn bat like wings, dragon plate armour and on the left arm the head and neck of a dragon similar to Bloo-D. The dragoon knight hovered high overhead, lost in the fog, as the dragon on the armguard let loose a terrible battle roar (Lv10, ATK 3000). Below, Unmai let his rage go. “Now I activate the effect of D-End! By sacrificing my battle phase, I can destroy one monster you control and inflict damage equal to its attack strength!”

The dragoon lunged and speared one of the sharks with its sword, fixing it in place for the dragon claw weapon to devour it. Using the destroyed monster as ammunition, the monster was able to unleash a stream of fire at Bozu. The screaming was terrible, but Unmai felt no remorse. When Bozu emerged from the flame, all that was left was the lower arm supporting his D-Disk, a floating hand to draw with, and a half expression that was glaring at him with complete hatred (LP 600).

“I place one card, and end my turn.”

“Then you have failed, and I will finish what you could not” Bozu snarled as he took his card. “I activate the...”

“My trap, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Paths_of_Destiny"]The Crossroads of Destiny[/url]!" Unmai interrupted. Bozu blinked in complete disbelief as the trap revealed itself, and from it emerged two slowly rotating coins. One side of each depicted an angel in a stance of prayer. On the other side... a robed skeleton with a scythe. Across the field, Unmai looked deadly focused. “When this trap is activated, a coin will spin for each of us; mine is on your left and yours on your right. If the result is heads, that player will gain two thousand life points. If the result is tails, that player will take two thousand points of damage.” Bozu opened his mouth to tell him he was insane to be so reckless, to risk his entire existence on one coin result, but Unmai could no longer hear him as the two coins started to spin faster. “Like you said, whatever I have to do to survive. Whatever the risk, I will not let my existence end here. Even for a half life, a soulless life. So let’s see whose path continues into the unknown, and whose ends here...”

The coins shuddered to a stop, and Unmai blinked at the result that came forth. The praying angel emerging from the coin on his right, and spreading her arms to bless him. As she floated towards him, a cooling sensation overwhelmed him, and missing parts of his body started to reform in places (LP 2700).

The terrified screaming in his ears was all he needed to know of his opponent. Bozu was scrambling backwards from the scythe wielding reaper that was advancing towards him, begging and screaming about something wholly irrelevant about his family. The reaper was in range, holding its curved weapon of death high. The screaming increased to a long ‘no’ until the scythe was swung and slashed through the air. Unmai watched, never turning away, as the last remaining parts of Umimoto Bozu faded away, until nothing remained and there was silence.

With the duels end, the crushing mental weight of his rescuers presence returned. [i]“An interesting end. You seemed very sure that you would survive on a fifty-fifty chance.”[/i]

“I just had to use what I had left, but what I said still stands” Unmai replied bluntly. “Whatever you need me to do to help you, I’ll do it, as long as you can promise you’ll restore me for doing so. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, just... I don’t want to die yet. Not like this. And if you need me to take it to Clarissa and those people, then I’ll be more than happy to deliver the justice they deserve.”

[i]“Very good Unmai. I am honoured that you join me in this fight for justice and the end of suffering. You are strong, but our enemies are too. You will need to become more powerful. Now relax, and I will rebuild you as a part of this world.”[/i]

The pressure on Unmai’s mind continued to build until it was unbearable. Unable to continue standing, he sank to his knees, and through bleary eyes managed to see, and certainly feel, the parts of his body slowly start to reform as depthless outlines of white light. It was hard to resist screaming, but he bit his tongue, knowing this was just the start of his long and painful transformation...

....16:57:32...

Sitting in his strange little bubble, Garvan was just finishing editing his deck. He was relatively happy with the result; at least it would be easier to get out Xyz monsters of various levels now. Hopefully that would make the difference between surviving and falling in here until he was allowed to escape.

Right on cue, the voice of the one who had saved him from the chasing duel drones by placing him in this strange world wandered through the realm. [i]“Garvan, listen carefully. I am going to release you from this area now, and warp you back into the VDS.”[/i]

“Oh great. Straight back to where all of those dark duelists are waiting for me. I need you to get me out of the VDS entirely.”

[i]“I cannot do that directly right now, as I am about to leave the VDS myself. However I have made provisions for your escape. After I have warped you into the VDS, you will find a device that you can use to get yourself out. It’s quite easy for a clever guy like you to work out how to activate. The area it is in is mysterious though, and there may be challenges awaiting you there. Are you prepared?”[/i]

Garvan shrugged, looking hopefully at his reformed deck. “Yes.”

Without a further word, the cosmic space world faded away.

Garvan landed with a bump in what seemed to be an old half submerged ruin. Looking around, the stone temples and buildings shrouded in heavy mist had crumbled and fallen into pools of deep black water. Strange weed like plants were growing in the cracks, snapping and eating various insects that floated past. He had never seen this place before. As he set off through the broken fountains and fallen pillars, a tingling sensation crawled up neck and made him shudder. Every sense was on high alert for potential danger.

Unfortunately they were too late to react to the crimson D-Anchor that flew out from a building behind him and slammed into his D-Disk. The alteration of the red colour was surprising as he spun around, to see a young man in heavy armour walk out from one of the ruins.

“What?”

“You serve the duelist Methuselah!” the man shouted, pointing at him with a heavy gauntlet. “I will have my rematch against him, even if to do that I have to crush you first!”

“What?!”

17:59:58... 17:59:59... 18:00:00... [/spoiler]

Yes... unlucky...

Chapter was supposed to be odd, though it might have been overly so. But at least it sets up some stuff for characters to make their way back in.

I kinda wanted to have a duel where two people who were friends turn on each other that quickly for their own good (because my estimations of people are very low) for a while and have it so it could go either way, but given how much more coverage Unmai had than Bozu preceeding it I guess it was always going to be his win. Wanted to get Aero Shark somewhere in the story too, determined to get most Xyz monsters in circulation up to this point involved somewhere or other.

The next chapter will be up sometime tomorrow.

As promised, Chapter 10:1. Enjoy

[spoiler=Chapter 10:1]
[b]The following takes place between 6PM and 7PM[/b]

Struggle as he might against the scarlet rope that had lashed around his arm; the D-Anchor linking Garvan to this youth in stone armour was not going to break. However the attempts at escape provided much merriment for the young man. “So you cower before the might of the master melder already do you? You are right to do so.”

“Look kid, I think there’s been a huge mix up here” Garvan replied stiffly. “I’m a police officer in Tokyo. I don’t have the foggiest idea who this Methuselah guy is or...”

“Enough lies” the man shouted over him, drawing his opening hand from his large and heavily modified D-Disk as the fog of the old ruins rippled slightly, indicating the ARV wall was rising around them as the two duelists name and stat display appeared behind them. “I know who you really are Garvan. You are a follower of my sworn rival Methuselah. You will be a perfect warm up for me to face him, restore my honour, and leave everyone in no doubt as to the might of the West Asian Champion.”

[i]‘Okay, this kid is nuts’ [/i]Garvan thought.[i] ‘Duelling civilians is the last thing I need with what’s going on in here, but now he’s got us both stuck in a duel and I’ve no idea what his agenda is. Unless... I wonder if he has a Numbers that is tampering with his mind and making him see everyone as an enemy.’ [/i]Still, the appearance of this Vladimir in this area was startling. He had been prepared for something to attack him, but still not a regular player like himself to be lying here... almost like he was waiting for him. Whispering into his D-Gazer so Vladimir couldn’t hear, he tried to contact the aid who had warped him here. The line was dead.

“You try to call for back up from your master or something?” Vladimir laughed at him. “Forget it. This D-Disk has some special features that will disable anything out of the ordinary you try to pull. You’re on your own against me, and you will fall to my might...”

Garvan wasn’t listening to the continued speech. Instead his attention was taken by the large D-Disk Vladimir had indicated. It had a lot of add-ons attached to it, the like of which he hadn’t seen before. They weren’t just decorative, and Vladimir didn’t seem clever enough to make such a powerful device with things like D-Anchors himself.

[i]‘I wonder if...’[/i]

“Enough blabbering. Let’s do this!”

As the ARV began to fade away once more around her, Natsumi accepted the glowing card floating towards her. Another win, another Number obtained. The duelist she had faced was an older girl, a very experienced player it seemed, but she had not adapted to her new card as well and struggled to use it effectively, making defeating her even easier than the others. She was resting peacefully now, safe from the harm of the other Numbers and the others pursuing their power.

As she turned to return to her bike and leave, she was surprised to see the wizened old figure of Methuselah sitting patiently on it with his hands resting on his knee, waiting for her to finish. The old man’s expression was hidden by his hood, which itself led to constant unease, but his appearance could have been for any number of reasons. Still she had done as asked for hours she thought, now was the time for him to return the favour. Bowing before him didn’t initiate a verbal reply, so she went ahead.

“I have searched throughout the world, and collected the Numbers that I found for you.” Natsumi held out three cards in front of her as her offering. “I hope you don’t begrudge me keeping Volca with me for now as I continue to operate at your command.”

The old man sighed, and the three cards floated from her grasp to his raised hand. Each disappeared at the slightest touch. “Of course, it would be foolish for you not to keep him. This is a start, I guess, of which I appreciate. You have been excellent in carrying out your orders Natsumi. Carry on.”

“What? Carry on?” Natsumi gulped as the old man’s head picked up in response to her outburst. “I mean, with all due respect, I was hoping that I had done enough now. I’ve been searching the VDS for three hours now for Numbers, and they are all I could find. By now they would have filtered out of the hands of the weaker duelists and gathered together in groups in the hands of the strong; friend or foe. Continuing my current deployment would be ineffective. However, if we were to go to my plan...”

“Your plan being to act against Real Duel, to serve your own purposes...”

“No no, listen. If you help me infiltrate the private vaults of Real Duel, then I will find something useful to us. Or I might be able to use my computer skills from there to undo the damage that is being done, or locate and recover the Numbers, or... at least something. I don’t know exactly until I get in, but I know there must be something in there that can help in some way. But I can’t do it without your aid. It’s worth a try isn’t it?”

The old man didn’t respond, making Natsumi shift uncomfortably. Was he considering it, or was he just angry with her? Still she remained standing definitely, hoping her resolve would come across.

“Fine, we will try it.”

...18:03:34...

[i]‘ARV link established. Duel commencing’[/i]

“Duel!”

The green light for the first move was Garvan’s, allowing him to take his sixth card. He was immediately presented with many of his brand new additions, and they already gave him a strong chance of getting to his Numbers by his next turn. If that was the right thing to do. [i]‘Okay, this is an awkward situation I’d rather not be in. I don’t know who this guy is; is he possessed by Numbers or just an obnoxious jerk? It looks like my new deck is going to be given a real fire baptism in the meantime. Still, wouldn’t be the same without a few of the reliable old guard.’ [/i]“I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Magician"]Gagaga Magician[/url]."

The masked and chain bound magician took the field by his side, not threatening to look at as it stood there, but a fearsome power was certainly hidden inside it (Lv4, ATK 1500). However the appearance of the magician seemed to have the opposite effect on Vladimir.

“So, you use a spellcaster deck. Sure looks like something a follower of Methuselah would use.”

“Oh for goodness sake would you just drop that! How many spellcaster users do you think there are in this place?” Vladimir’s response indicated it didn’t matter, he was adamant about his belief. “Oh forget it, I place two cards face down and end my turn.”

The young Russian seemed disturbingly confident about this. “Good. Now behold the power of the champion! I draw. Magic activate, the fusion magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Fusion"]Gemknight Fusion[/url]. I fuse Gemknights Sapphia and Obsidia in my hand to summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Aquamarine"]Gemknight Aquamarine[/url]!"

The azure plated warrior landed with a heavy crash on the stone paving, leaving massive holes in the stone as it rose upright where its knees and fist had crashed into it (Lv6, ATK 1400). “Now the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Obsidian"]Obsidia[/url] activates. When it is sent from the hand to the cemetery by this effect, I can resurrect my [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Sapphire"]Sapphia[/url] to the field. Then I activate another effect of Gemknight Fusion. By banishing Obsidia from play, I can return it to my hand and use it to fusion summon again!”

“Two fusion summons?” Garvan was stunned enough by that, but even more so when the vortex opened behind the plated warrior and the smaller clear bodied Gemknight crouching beside it and pulled them both inside. “Wait, why are you fusing those two?”

“You’ll see. I fusion summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Amethys"]Gemknight Amethys[/url]

From the vortex emerged a tall warrior in royal purple armour, helmet and billowing cape; landing more deftly on the field than the bulky Aquamarine. Attached to one gauntlet was a round spiral shield made of thick ice, the other brandished a long cold rapier sword (Lv7, ATK 1950).

“When Amethys is summoned successfully, all spell and trap cards on the field are returned to the owners hand.” A bitter wind rose up with a flourish of the ice sword, forcing the holograms of Garvan’s two face downs too vanish. “Also, when Aquamarine is sent from field to cemetery by any means, one other card on the field is also forced away.”

Garvan gasped as the force of the wind increased, biting his hands and cheeks. The magician struggled against it, but was also blown away and reappeared back in his hand. Leaving the way clear for the plated knight to leap high above him and attack him unimpeded. No way to stop it driving the ice sword through his stomach. The crippling chill that lanced through him was painful for a second, before the numbing burn of the freezing ice took hold. The cold slowly spreading through his blood stream and into the rest of his body as the knight held the sword firmly in place. He wanted to cry out in pain, but the cold stopped his lungs from working. Well, at least that would stop his opponent getting that advantage over him. Finally the knight withdrew, leaving him unmarked but noticeably rattled. (LP 2050)

“I place one card face down and end my turn. Even I didn’t think I’d have you on your knees this quickly. Is this all you have to give? You’ll need to up your game if you want to protect your master.” Slowly, Garvan staggered back to his feet, clutching his ribs.

“You... asked for it... kid. I draw.” The drawn card was excellent. [i]‘Alright kid, no more mister nice cop.’[/i]

“First of all, I activate the permanent magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Wave"]Galaxy Wave[/url]. Each time I summon an Xyz monster, you take five hundred points of damage. Then I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/One_for_One"]One for One.[/url] By sending one monster from my hand to the cemetery, I can special summon a level one monster from my deck. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Spider"]Dark Spider[/url]." A small spider appeared just to his left, given the young champs reaction looking possibly the less threatening thing Vladimir had ever seen (Lv1, ATK 0). “Also the monster I used for One for One’s effect was [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Light_Serpent"]Light Serpent[/url], which when sent directly from hand to cemetery is special summoned to the field.”

A black portal opened up in the ground before him, a passage to hell, through which rose a luminous snake creature (Lv3, ATK 1200). “Now I activate the effect of Dark Spider. Once per turn, I can increase the level of one insect monster by two, including itself (Lv3). Now I can overlay level three Light Serpent and Dark Spider. Xyz Summon!” As soon as the starry vortex opened before him, Garvan felt the familiar weight on his mind as the creature overflowing power began to feed into him through the connection it had created, through the mark that had appeared on his hand again. “Behold the pure might. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_17%3A_Leviathan_Dragon"]Number 17: Leviath Dragon[/url]!"

The serpentine dragon screeched in response (Rk3, ATK 2000). Yet still, despite the appearance of the Number, Vladimir was not remotely afraid. His eyes just lit up. “I knew it. I knew you would have a Numbers...”

“Oh really? Well I’m going to guess you don’t know that by detaching an overlay unit, Leviath Dragon gains an additional five hundred points of attack. Not to mention that Galaxy Wave’s effect just got tripped and hits you with damage.” Vladimir flinched as the first shot hit him on the D-Disk (LP 3500). “I’m sorry about having to do this kid, but you shouldn’t have picked a fight you can’t handle. Now Leviath, let Amethys take your power. Vice Stream!”

The knight and duelist disappeared under a torrent of energy unleashed from the dragon’s breath. Hopefully this attack alone would be enough to knock some sense into the guy, or knock the influence of a Number or whatever was driving his rampage out of him and they could work this out without further blows. But when Vladimir resurfaced alone, he was leaning noticeably to one side, and grinning wildly.

“Damn it! What’s so funny?”

“You... for all the belief that your Number is some unstoppable force, and you fell right for it” Vladimir snorted, and pulled back his trap to reveal to Garvan’s shock... “The permanent trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Begone%2C_Knave!"]Turn Away[/url] activates. When a monster inflicts battle damage, it is immediately returned to the owner’s hand!”

Above him, the shriek of the vanishing dragon chilled Garvan. But it wasn’t the dragon’s disappearance that really worried him right now. “You don’t stand a chance against my new Anti-Numbers deck.”

[i]‘Anti-Numbers? Crap, that means he doesn’t have one controlling him. From my experience, that means all the damage I’m going to do is going to be much greater and he hasn’t got the barrier of their power to shield him from it. If I beat him, god knows what will happen to him. But can I risk throwing it? Winning is my only way out of this duel, and out of the VDS. But that means hurting an innocent...’[/i]

“So, you fear my strategy like you should? Well if you could hurry up, then you won’t have to fear it for much longer and let me finish you off!”

“Alright, alright. I’ll re-summon Gagaga and replace my two face down cards from before. Turn end.” [i]‘Now what do I do?’[/i]

...18:11:32...

The police, having pushed on from the governmental area to a fountain square where the instigators of the riots had regrouped, had restored some order as Daiki banged on the last of the armoured vans to set off with the last of the arrested youths. Some of the protestors continued to cry conspiracy as they were bailed into the vans. Hopefully when this was over they would be sorry and could be dealt with less severely for their getting carried away in what had happened. The spiral of the violence Daiki credited to the many who had taken over the protest groups had turned out to be young offenders with records of various kinds, some he even recognised himself, who had just used the chaos in the city as a cover or excuse to cause trouble for the kicks and any material gain. The last of the vans gone, Daiki slumped down on the edge of the fountain and removed the Numbers card from the D-Disk he had since moved to his arm. Above him, Hope vanished, and the ache on his mind started to subside. Beniko sat beside him, a medic wrapping a bandage around his arm in tow, and handed him a can of energy drink.

“Thanks.”

“We’ve managed to get all our own lines of communication back together now, which makes things easier. Seems we’ve dealt with the worst of it for now, although the approaching night might see more crawl from the woodwork if things aren’t resolved soon. Any ideas on what to do next?”

“Not ideas. Orders” Daiki replied, taking a swig of his drink. The reply seemed to confuse the younger man. “I’ve been told I have to be at the Real Duel Building at seven. Apparently their leader and the one whose causing all this wants to see me. From there, who knows.”

“Seriously?” Beniko asked. “Real Duel. This might be a stupid question, but does that... thing... have something to do with this.”

“Probably.” Daiki couldn’t blame him for his bewilderment. Beniko didn’t play Duel Monsters. Presumably on account of his father’s influence.

“You’re going through with it?”

“I think I have to. Your dad knows. He actually ordered me to go straight there and not get involved in all this stuff. What’s the time?”

Beniko shook his head. “Well, do whatever you have to do I guess. You got a little over forty five minutes. You’ll have to go now; the roads are as blocked northwards as they are south.” Daiki took the advice and mounted up, “Thanks for helping out. I... really wasn’t happy with how I did out there.”

“Hey, don’t be daft. You can’t train for this kind of thing. I was crapping it myself. Just take it as experience... and do me a favour. I wasn’t here, alright?” Thankfully his colleague agreed.

Content the city secured for now, Daiki was able to take his leave and head towards his goal once more. Speeding off northwards through the city, he spotted the bloody mark of Clarissa on the side of a skyscraper looming overhead as he passed by. [i]‘Why do I recognise that symbol? Does it have something to do with why Clarissa wants me?’[/i] Unable to think, he reflected on events for the first time. Thinking on what he might be heading towards, and his final few moments inside the VDS. A vision of the snake god flashed before him, making him wince. [i]‘I can’t bear to admit this, but if it hadn’t been for Wilhelm showing up, I would probably have lost to that duelist. Even with Hope’s power, I could have lost. Then I’d have been no help to anyone who needs me. If I am forced to take to the battlefield in that manner again, I have to do better.’[/i]

His thoughts turned to the winged warrior. Not only to it, but also to the other Number, the one Wilhelm had decided to give to him and whose identity was as yet unknown. [i]‘What is it that Hope does to me when he’s let out? The pressure it puts on me, it’s weird. It’s like the monster is trying to impose itself or its will on me. It’s not painful, it’s actually sort of a blessed feeling, but I always get a sense that if I don’t maintain control, it could get addictive and I could lose myself in it. I wonder if this happens to those with other Numbers? Do they all have different personalities, like their own souls or spirits that embody them? It’s a strange thought, but this whole situation is strange. Either way, they are definitely powerful, and it must be something this Clarissa is looking to utilise for something. We have to stop her somehow. But why me?...’[/i]

[i]A flash of bright lights in his eyes. The sounds of whirring engines in his ears.[/i]

Daiki snapped himself out of the sudden trance. He hated it when he saw those lights in his mind and could recall nothing else of the incident from years ago, or work out what had hit him.

The roads ahead were gridlocked with car crashes, forcing Daiki to turn on his siren and jump the bike onto the sidewalk, speeding off towards the tower where Wilhelm and Clarissa were waiting.

Dragging herself upright from her uncomfortable position at bedside that she had been half dozing in, Sakura looked hopefully towards Yudai, hoping he would wake with her. Of course he remained the same; pained and out of reach. The change in his medication had done little to settle his agitated state, something that continued to confound and worry the doctors. Occasionally he would wince and frown in a pained way, and despite Sakura clutching his hand as tightly as she could in the hopes it might get through and reassure him somehow, he did not respond at all to her touch.

[i]‘There has to be something I can do. Wait, I have an idea.’[/i]

Looking around, her mother and Yudai’s parents seemed to have stepped out for the moment, as had most of the other visitors. Looking out of the room and into the corridor, the ward was much quieter now than it was. All the beds in this ward were full long ago, any new incoming cases must be being spread out wherever the hospital or its neighbours could put them and it was stretching the staff. As her plan began to formulate, this gave Sakura the chance she needed.

Returning to Yudai’s bedside and moving as naturally as possible to avoid the attentions of remaining visitors, Sakura reached into the folds of her dress and pulled out the card of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_16%3A_Ruler_of_Color_-_Shock_Ruler"]Number 16: Shock Ruler[/url]. One last look around confirmed no-one was looking, and that she was safe to place the card just on top of Yudai’s heart. [i]‘Please. You put him in there. You can bring him back.’[/i]

The card glowed softly, making her heart skip several beats. This was actually going to work...
Yudai groaned, his face scrunching up in a pained expression, before returning to his stupor unchanged. Groaning in frustration, Sakura flopped down next to him.

[i]‘Come on, think. There has to be something me and this card can do. Surely it must have come back to me for some reason.’[/i] Beside her, the small card continued to glow soothingly. ‘[i]Think. I’ve tried everything I can think of here. The doctors have done all they can, and it’s had no effect. That means the only people who might know how to reverse the condition left are... the people who did this to Yudai in the first place.’[/i]

The thought made her shudder. Yes, Clarissa and her forces almost certainly would know more of the exact nature of Yudai and the others affliction, and possibly about a recovery. But these were extremists, they wouldn’t help her. Would they? What if she gave them Shock Ruler, which they were after? Hmm, still no guarantee they wouldn’t just take it and then not help. What if she beat them in a duel for their help? No, that was just the kind of stupid idea Yudai would have. Both of those plans relied on putting faith in the honour of terrorists, of which there was no chance their word could be trusted. As she continued to mull over more and wilder ideas, the card on the bed started to glow brighter, almost as if in response or encouragement, until she had to hide it back in her pocket before the people at other bedsides began to notice.

[i]‘This is so insane. Trying to make Clarissa help Yudai or any of these people is going to be impossible. I can’t do it.’[/i] Looking around the ward, at the many faces of children young and old, boys and girls, some with pained expressions and others in peaceful sleep, each with parents at their bedside staring sadly down at their little ones, Sakura felt a resignation. It was a strange feeling; like some deadening weight, but instead of fearing it, it made her toughen up her resolve. Like a sort of grim acceptance of fate. [i]‘I have to try, for all these people. It might be hopeless, but I won’t know unless I try.’[/i]

Gathering her bag and coat, Sakura gave Yudai one last embrace and kiss on the forehead. Hopefully wherever he was, he would feel it. [i]‘You saved me, now I will save you. Keep fighting. I’m coming.’[/i]

...18:15:06...

Garvan: LP 2050, Hand 1, Field of Gagaga Magician, Galaxy Wave, and two face downs
Vladimir: LP 2950, Hand 2, Field of Turn Away

“It’s my turn now. Draw!” For all the bravado and willing him to hurry him, Vladimir was quite slow at drawing himself, no doubt from the grimace as he did so that damage to his ribs was the cause. It was clear from the way he was standing that just the one indirect attack from Leviath had really injured him, despite the protection his modified shield surely must have given him. But he still seemed wildly amused by what was happening. “I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Planter"]Magic Planter[/url]. This sends Turn Away to the cemetery in exchange for two cards, so I won’t be losing my monsters to its effect. Then I banish Sapphia from my cemetery to return Gemknight Fusion to my hand, and use it to fusion summon once more.”

This time Garvan recognised the two monsters that vanished from the hand were the ghostly forms of the other two regular Gemknights; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Garnet"]Ganet[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Tourmaline"]Rumarin[/url]. In their stead came a soldier in thick grey armour, but its two gauntlets were encrusted with red hot magma. Slung over one shoulder it carried an enormous molten flamberge (Lv7, ATK 2200).

“Now [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Citrine"]Gemknight Madeira[/url] attacks Gagaga Magician, and its effect activates” Vladimir roared. “When Madeira battles, no other card effects can be activated during that battle!”

Face downs sealed, he was helpless to stop the assault as the knight swung its flaming sword. Gagaga had the relief of instant destruction; Garvan himself had to endure the aftershock of the damage as it registered on him, like the knight had grabbed him around the head with its molten fists (LP 1250). The effect made him faint headed for a moment.

“I... wait a minute... instant magic... [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagagaback"]Gagaga Back[/url]. When a Gagaga monster is destroyed, I can use this card to resurrect every monster I’ve lost to the cemetery this turn, although I take six hundred points of damage for each monster returned in this way.” Mercifully the draining effect of returning the one monster in this way was comparatively painless in itself, but as the strength ebbed out of him Garvan was on his knees (LP 650). With each hit he took, Vladimir seemed to gain strength.

“I set one card and end my turn. Come on, I expected more of a fight for a disciple than this.”

The damage was also having an effect on Garvan’s temper. “For the last, damn, time! I have no idea what you’re on about. I’m a police officer for Tokyo Metropolitan. I don’t serve any people in here, I’m not a follower or disciple, I’m just trying to get out of here and stop what’s happening!”

“You can’t fool me, and you can’t escape” came the reply he expected. “There’s nothing you can do to beat me. I’m the mighty champion and I will prove it once and for all.”

[i]‘Man this guy is obsessed. He isn’t going to listen to me, and now I know for sure what Leviath Dragon will do to him. I guess I have no choice but to defend for now.’[/i] “My turn. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Kinka-byo"]Jinhua Cat[/url]."

The dark spirit of a ghostly cat with wild fur simply materialised from thin air in front of him (Lv1, ATK 400). “When Jinhua Cat is summoned, it brings back a level one monster in my cemetery back to the field. In this case that would be Dark Spider. Then I special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Jester_Confit"]Jester Confit[/url] by its own effect, and proceed to overlay my three level one monsters. Xyz Summon!” The cat spirit, spider and round clown that had appeared between them vanished, giving way to the rise of the fanned top that unfurled to reveal the pale brunette sorceress (Rk1, DEF 500), and the second pulsing sensation throbbing in his head, slightly different to the first. "[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_83:_Galaxy_Queen"]Number 83: Galaxy Queen[/url]!"

Vladimir’s eyes were near bulging in his skull with excitement. “Two Numbers!? My prize will be great.”

“Galaxy Wave activates again, hitting you with five hundred points of damage.” Vladimir was prepared this time, deflecting the blast with his shield (LP 2450). “Then I’ll use Galaxy Queen’s effect. By detaching an overlay unit, all monsters I currently control cannot be destroyed by battle until my next turn.”

With a wave of her sceptre, a veil of light formed around both the queen and Gagaga Magician as its position changed (DEF 1000). “I put Gagaga into defence and end my turn.”

“That won’t save you” Vladimir sniggered darkly as he drew his card. Bringing it to hand, the result was just the card he was hoping for, to make the big final push. The relentless assault that would first beat this disciple into the ground, and he could well use on that old trickster. “I activate the magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Factory_of_Mass_Production"]Dark Factory of Mass Production[/url] to return Rumarin and Ganet to my hand, and banish Aquamarine from play to return Gemknight Fusion. Then I fuse my two Gemknights to summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Ruby"]Gemknight Ruby[/url]!"

A scarlet plated warrior wielding a scythe crashed onto the field, sending paving stones flying in all directions (Lv6, ATK 2500). “When Ruby battles monsters in defence, piercing damage is applied. Even if he can’t destroy it, you will fall. Say goodbye to your precious Number now. Ruby, cut her in two!” The Galaxy Queen expression of serene calm changed to one of fear as the red Gemknight leapt up to strike. The oddity of this was lost on Garvan, as he was busy.

“Trap activate, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Scrubbed_Raid"]Forced Stop[/url] By sending Galaxy Wave to the cemetery, the attack is stopped and the battle phase immediately ends.”

The force of the card exploding shunted the Gemknight back, much to Vladimir’s disbelief. [i]‘Damn it. I was expecting D Imprisonment or something, which I was all set to get around. Not for him to end the battle phase entirely. Damn him protecting his Number. I will still destroy it. I will destroy his Number!’[/i]

“I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/De-Fusion"]Fusion Cancel[/url]. This returns Madeira to the extra deck, and summons the monsters used as its fusion materials in its place. Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pyroxene_Fusion"]Assemble Fusion[/url], to fuse them together into a different Gemknight.” Rumarin and Ganet appeared briefly, before being dragged back into the familiar vortex. This time the knight that emerged was one wearing the finest suit of armour, gleaming silver with gold trim, carrying a fine lance and shield (Lv7, ATK 2450). “This is the mighty [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Prismaura"]Gemknight Prism Aura[/url], and your Number will fall to his sword. First I need to banish Rumarin to return Gemknight Fusion to my hand. Then by discarding it, Prism Aura can destroy any card I choose. Your Numbers are not safe!”

From the tip of the knights sword came a crack of lightning, striking the enchantress in the chest. With a small scream of shock, the Galaxy Queen vanished. “What is wrong with you man? I’m just an ordinary duelist like you. I’m trying to sort everything out for the good of everyone, but you’re just too stupid to listen to me!”

Vladimir’s eyes flashed. “I am not an ordinary duelist, and I am not stupid. I am champion, and I will not be beaten by an old man like Methuselah. I came back here to settle the score and I will do so, I don’t care how many of those dark angels or followers or who I have to face first.”

Garvan blinked. Something about what the Russian just said seemed very wrong. “Wait a minute, are you saying you got out of the VDS? That you knew what was happening in here, and that you came back in anyway? Just to have a rematch with this old guy?” Incredibly, Vladimir nodded.

As he did so, Garvan’s body began to shake; as something that he hadn’t realised was building inside him began to boil over, and was straining for release. His entire understanding changed, and with it his perspective. He had been struggling with the idea of potentially hurting an innocent civilian, but Vladimir no longer fell into that category. He had to get himself out, too much depended on him doing so. If this foolish boy was in the way, that was now entirely his own fault. That was the only way to look at it. From somewhere, a vicious anger completely took over. “You knew what was happening, yet you willingly put yourself back in danger. You are stupid, and now I just lost all sympathy for you! Draw!”

Snatching at the top card, the draw was ideal. He would win this turn. What happened to this now terrified looking teen was no longer his problem. He had to get out, he could not hold back for the sake of one person. Something inside him wouldn’t let him. “Your obsession with destroying the Numbers is what cost you, because it blinded you to the real danger that has been a constant presence in this duel. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Girl"]Gagaga Girl[/url] to the field.”

A young blonde girl in a blue witch’s hat and short dress, adorned with a large pink bow wrapped around the waist, soared out onto the field beside her elder Gagaga Magician (Lv3, ATK 1000). Student and teacher acknowledged each other’s presence. “Now I activate the effect of Gagaga Magician, lowering his level to three, equal to Gagaga Girl’s. Overlay level three. Return with even greater fury, Leviath Dragon!”

For the second time the serpent dragon appearing, roaring furiously at the terrified duelist who had vanquished it once. Just below where it was floating, the ghostly image of Gagaga Girl appeared for a moment, blowing Vladimir a kiss goodbye before she vanished. “Now when used for an Xyz summon, Gagaga Girl activates her effect, and lowers the attack points of a monster you control to zero.”

“Stop, I beg you” Vladimir pleaded helplessly as before him, Prism Aura sank to its knees (ATK 0). He knew the plea would go unheeded, as the numbers on Garvan’s hand turned a darker, violent blue.

“Leviath Dragon detaches an overlay unit to increase its attack by five hundred. Now finish it. Vice Stream!”

The force of the blast erased Prism Aura instantly. Paralyzed by fear, the stream of energy swept up Vladimir, raised him high into the air and threw him into a stone temple with terrible force, against which he slumped against in a broken heap (LP 0).

It was only as the ARV started to fade away, and with it the great dragon and its influence, that Garvan realised how much his body was shaking. Staggering towards the beaten duelist, he felt as if someone had hit him around the head with a sledgehammer. Collapsing beside him, he tried to stir him. Vladimir did not respond. “Damn it. You stupid kid! What the hell did you come back for?” he shouted at the stiff body. Still no response.

It was only sitting next to the duelist that Garvan happened to look upon his D-Disk, all the strange and awkward looking additions to it that had seemed to do nothing to protect him, and he remembered why he had arrived here in the first place. One particular device seemed to stand out for no reason, possibly because it looked easily detachable, or because it was flashing. Too beaten to think, he automatically slid the device from its holding mechanism and removed it, holding it in his hands. As it came away, the device started to bleep and flash at an increasing rate, until...

Lurching in his seat, sticking with sweat and breathing laboriously, Garvan opened his eyes. Still only half conscious, he was vaguely aware of the flashing lights and noises of the arcade, although he couldn’t immediately remember where or even who he was. The events, the battles he had endured since entering the VDS over five hours ago were spinning around his fatigued brain as he stood and staggered towards the front door, ignoring the arcade owner whose business had otherwise been abandoned and making his way into the fresh evening air and setting sun. The change in light dazzled him, causing him to trip on the steps as he emerged onto the streets.

Somewhere just outside of his groggy vision, someone caught him around the waist. ‘[i]I gotcha. Just stay calm, you’ll be fine in a few minutes. Here, sit in here and rest.’[/i]

Garvan protested weakly as the man who caught him helped him into the back of a waiting Lamborghini, before making his way around to the driver’s side and setting off.

...18:27:33...

Natsumi felt like she was standing on the brink of an abyss. On a rocky ledge crumbling and threatening to give way under her feet, even though the virtual ground she was stood on, the entrance steps to a long corridor of an underground library, looked as solid as virtual ground could. Methuselah was standing a little way behind her, having not advanced to the steps as she had. He had got them this far, past the security measures put in place by the company with ease, but he seemed unwilling to advance further.

“Aren’t you coming with me?”

“Alas, for all my powers, I cannot set foot in that place. Despite everything, I am still connected to Real Duel, and cannot actively do anything that would oppose the company in any way that would destabilise the control it has over the VDS or its customer market. If there is something down there that the company wants to protect, then I do not doubt there will be something down there to protect it, but I would not be able to fight it for you. Except through you. You have everything I have taught you; have faith in your own skills and your own spirit to help you overcome.”

“You forget to mention my determination to expose this company, and my helper” Natsumi replied sarcastically, holding her guardian Number for him to see. “Thanks for letting me keep him. He’ll be a big help. I have to do this, and I won’t let anything down there stop me.”

Methuselah nodded. “I understand. Tread carefully”

“You too” Natsumi replied. Methuselah made a hand sign of blessing before he warped away, leaving her to take a deep breath and descend the steps alone.[/spoiler]

So, yeah. Anyone?

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1335305212' post='5924320']Garvan be mad, and stuff be happening.Spoiler guyz, Sakura's going back into the VDS. And I had to tell you that because I'm obviously the only one to figure it out.
Anyway, sarcasm aside...this chapter was less confusing than the last one, and the duel was really cool too.[/quote]
Was going to go spare having only got 1 reply in 12 hours, but have noticed spoilers seem to be broken. As does making and editing posts to a degree.

Struggling on to reply anyway.

Yeah, everything is going to start falling into place and kicking off and forming real direction as the time draws closer to 9PM. Sakura, I'm interested to see where I can go with her having had to put her on the back burner for a bit (cuz it would have been ridiculous for her to go charging back into battle any earlier). We'll see soon.

I feel one thing my duelling has lacked in places is emotion/external factors affecting plays (yeah, writing the final duel of the arc being majorly guilty of this right now) and just everything going perhaps too as it should, but I'm glad I managed to change that in this one with Vladimir, a championship winning duelist (although he really isn't showing it atm) costing himself the duel by going all out single mindedly to destroy the Numbers.

I'm rather proud of the next duel as well, which is one of my fav's so far (if this website can claw onto life or even be fixed so I can post it properly).

It feels repetitive to keep saying this, but amazing chapter, like always. I feel the tiniest bit sorry for Vlad (not any more than that, mind you). Garvan's right to be mad though; it's just plain idiotic and fool-hardy for him to enter back to the VDS 'specially since he knew the risks. Is his pride really worth all that? Don't think so. Anyway, moving on. Looks like we be getting more Sakura action and secret are unveiled. Yay. We've been in the dark too long, I say, but live and learn, I guess. And, judging from what you said, looks like the next duel's gonna be a real badass clash. : D Sounds like something to be looking forward to, then. Guess I should be waiting in suspense 'till it comes.

Right, after a slight and very frustrating delay, Chapter 10:2 for your enjoyment, and thinks are starting to come together. Maybe.

[spoiler=Chapter 10:2]
The chink of a key in the lock to Asami’s prison made her jump. She was sat in one of the manager’s offices, having been kept in there ever since Clarissa had found her a few hours ago. All potential methods of communication had been disabled or removed, and she had been mostly left to her own devices, save for the occasional look through the window by a guard. This time however the entrant was a surprise to her as Clarissa herself gracefully walked into and across the room and sat opposite her, resting her hands gently on one of her knees and just stayed there, looking at her with a curious expression. The pair sat in awkward silence for a few moments; Asami shrinking her petite frame into the depths of her seat, while Clarissa just watched her with curious interest.

“You’ve been here a while now. I hope you are feeling a little calmer, although I’d understand if you didn’t.” Asami blinked at the polite concern in her voice. “If you are thirsty, I can arrange something for you?”

Asami shook her head. “W...why... are you... keeping me here? What are you going to do to me?”

“Miss Kato, as long as you don’t cause me any trouble, then I will not need to cause you any harm. I’m not going to hurt you just for the sake of it. There might be circumstances that arise where I am forced to find a use for you...”

“You... are going to use me as a hostage aren’t you? I know that’s it.”

...if a situation develops that forces me to, then maybe” Clarissa rode over her, with a hand held up for silence. “But if things continue to go as well as they have been doing, then it shouldn’t come to anything like that. When we leave, we will leave you alone.” The two continued to sit in near silence for a moment. This Asami looked most glum for someone who had been spared from a multitude of horrors Clarissa thought, but then she had been through a traumatic experience. “You interest me Miss Kato.”

“How?”

“I don’t know. Just something about you... you just seem to be quite an individual is all. The way you dress and do your hair, I imagine you put a lot of effort into your appearance which that brute ruined for you.” Asami fiddled with her curls as soon as Clarissa mentioned them, seemingly embarrassed. “You said your position here was a personnel manager. How long have you worked for Real Duel for?”

“Um... why do you ask?”

“Just interested.”

Asami blinked several times, seemingly stunned by the question. “Um... four years... Most of the employees I’ve worked with work their way up through the company, but I came straight into upper management from another business.”

“Hmm... I see.” A knock at the door diverted her attention. It was the doctor. “Excuse me Miss Kato, but there are other matters that require my attention. If you change your mind about needing anything, the guard is outside and I will permit him to grant you certain amenities.” Asami just shrunk further into her seat as she stood and slunk out of the office. Evos was stood to attention waiting for her. “Well?”

“You remember the names Garvan Zielinski and Vladimir Kanchev from earlier today?”

Clarissa needed a moment to do so. “Garvan is the policeman right, who took a Numbers from us? Vladimir... wait, wasn’t he was one that escaped?”

“Well, seems he came back in. The two just duelled and that Garvan got out somehow after he won. No I don’t understand either” he hastily added as Clarissa’s glare sharpened. “Dawson is modifying the lock in system for potential flaws now, much to your brother’s annoyance. Also, the drone’s progress collecting Numbers has slowed down in the last hour. Wilhelm believes they must all have revealed their true forms to people by now, but have been whittled down into the possession of a few stronger duelists possessing multiples. He wants to know if we change tactics.”

“Okay, I’ll speak to him and see if we can work something out to pinpoint the other Numbers location. However I think we should be focusing on other priorities right now whilst the drones do their thing.”

“Fair enough, once we make the drones as efficient as we possibly can. So, how is she?” Evos nodded towards the door the guard was re-locking. “You find out anything in there?”

“What’s there to find out? I just find her interesting. Maybe we’ll chat again later.”

“Why? You’re our leader. The men will ask questions if you keep disappearing in there to talk to a prisoner. They already showed signs of discontent when they discovered you entered the VDS earlier. Wilhelm doesn’t like you seeing her either.”

Clarissa shrugged and turned towards the base of their operations. “I have my reasons Evos. I feel I have something in common with that woman, something that I am interested in exploring. I thought you and Wilhelm of all people would understand that.”

...18:33:02...

Continuing down the steps with great caution, Natsumi plunged deeper into the private record storage facility of Real Duel Ltd. She had heard rumours about this place during her employment with the company; supposedly the most secure database in the world where all the most sensitive files on Real Duel were contained. All the reports and personal records and operating blueprints that they didn’t want anyone such as rival companies to see; such as how the VDS was built and operated, testing reports, and almost anything she could think of and more were hidden down here where no-one could get to it. Except for Methuselah, who had taken her past the security as far as he could take her, without pushing the limitations of his binding ties to the company. There was no guarantee of what she would run into down here, but she had to come. It felt crucial, somehow. For her own needs, essentially. For the needs of the mysterious being helping her and in turn she served, to return the favour. Perhaps many more people caught up in things in the VDS besides... well, whatever. Looking back, she could no longer see the top of the stairs, making her feel all the more uneasy until she reached the bottom.

Passing through a tall overly grand arch, Natsumi found herself in a dark, musty room filled with row upon row of desks, stretching far beyond view in either direction. On each desk sat a line of computers, each emitting a little light that was all that illuminated the facility. The lab seemed dank; grey cobwebs hung from the pillars supporting the cavernous ceiling, and a thick layer of dust covered each work surface. Something squished under her foot as she darted behind the nearest of the pillars, something which she had no desire to look down at. Several garish stone carvings adorned the upper echelons.

[i]‘Humph... the designer of this place must have had a real haunted castle fetish. All they need to add are bats and a walking suit of armour.’[/i] No sooner had she thought that then several pairs of red eyes appeared in the rafters, although having expected it they didn’t scare her. Checking to make sure no-one was around and no traps had been set, she examined the nearest computer. The background was snowy, with the dimly flickering words ‘RDL Building Planning Permission Records 2022’ came up.

[i]‘Oh seriously, I have to go and examine every computer and hope one of them has my name on it? There must be hundreds down here.’ [/i]Looking up and down the rows of computers that continued further than she could make out in the gloom, hundreds may well have been a low estimate.[i] ‘Oh well, I’d better crack on with it then.’[/i]

With only the bats for company, Natsumi set off down the first row, examining the title born by each computer. Hopefully she would find what she was looking for quickly and then get out of this place.
...18:34:16...

Lying against the broken and moss covered stones of the ruins of the Ritua temples, Vladimir’s eyes fluttered, his breathing short and weak. His stone armour had split from the force of the impact with the wall behind him, leaving two gaping chasms running from the neck to the belt front and back. Dark blood was seeping through the cracks. It took all his strength to open his eyes just a little bit; his vision was blurry even without the descending fog. A foul stench seemed to have befallen the place, or maybe it was just his senses. But still, even now, only one thought prevails in his dulled, dying mind.

[i]‘Why? Why did I lose again?’[/i]

Vladimir tried to force his body to move. To stand, to remove his shield, to do something. Anything. No response. He could barely keep his eyes open any longer. The ruins were starting to fade, a few blurry lines of movement on the edges of his vision were impossible to make out clearly. Hungry scavengers and demonic unknowns might soon be upon him unless he moved. Still his body wouldn’t respond.

[i]‘Am... am I dying? Am I really dying here?’[/i]

Visions of his parents swam before him. Panicked, Vladimir redoubled his efforts. All he succeeded in doing was exhausting his battered mind further. He just had to concentrate on standing, and his body should respond to his thoughts, but he couldn’t focus. Everything was too far away, too exhausting...

[i]‘Ma..?. Pa....? I lost again... now I’m going to... die?’[/i]

Warm liquid was in his throat. Blood, and he didn’t even have the strength to cough it out. Another rustle of movement came from somewhere, he couldn’t work out where from. His eyes stopped fluttered and closed. The ruins disappeared, replaced by a faint light.

[i]‘I... I don’t want to die. I can’t. Not like this. I’m... I’m a champion. I can’t die here like this. I’m stronger...’ [/i]

The light grew stronger. The air around him was getting warmer, as if something was approaching him, to pull him into the beyond. His mind was feeling dark and heavy, like a giant hand was clenching around it and squeezing the last drops of life out of him. Powerless to stop it, Vladimir simply clung to that last thought, and hoped it would somehow keep him going.

[i]“No... you don’t have to die here Tsar...”[/i]

Vladimir couldn’t react in any way to the voice that echoed around his mind. The voice was ominous, powerful, yet reassuringly calm. “Who? Who are you?”

[i]“I... am the original one. I am someone who has been in this world since the beginning; my conscious has slept in the gaps in this world for decades. I have seen your many accomplishments Tsar. Your many victories as a champion. The power you possess. I could use warriors such as you for a great cause.” [/i]

“I... am not a champion any more. I have lost my status as champion. I cannot help you...”

A dark, rumbling sensation filled his mind in response, but disappeared as quickly as it came. [i]“I see. Your entire life is revolved around being the best at everything you do, at being the mighty champion and recognised as such. Well, I can provide you with the chance to reclaim the glory you feel you’ve lost. You wish to be the best, and overcome those who defeated you? To reclaim your status as a great champion, with power beyond those of all others? Is that what you want?”[/i]

Vladimir gulped. This voice could see his soul, knew his desires like he was himself. Desires he wanted to fulfil, and would do anything to obtain. “Yes. More than anything yes.”

[i]“So you will help us to restore this world, save it from the ruin that approaches?”[/i]

“... I will.”

Upon his promise, the pressure increased to a staggering level. Vladimir could barely think it was so all consuming. The pain, the despair, the death. The blinding light.

He could feel someone scooping him up. Weakly, his eyes opened a little bit to see who had managed to lift him so easily. All he could see was the shining outline of a thin figure, carrying him in his arms as if he weighed no more than a newborn baby. The edges of his body were obscured by white light, whilst the main body was a black void of an empty galaxy. Staring into the abyss, Vladimir could just see something moving in the beyond of this persons being. His strength was slowly coming back, although he felt... different somehow. [i]‘I will live on... I will be the most formidable duelist the world has ever known...’[/i]

[i]‘I see... everything...’[/i]

...18:38:22...

Back in a separate office, and Clarissa was sat with Evos, Wilhelm, Gadsby, Kazenga (at his own absolute insistence), and a few technicians. Having dealt with her brothers concerns about the progress of the duel drones, although frustratingly failed to develop any more concrete locating system to track the Numbers other than identifying duelists who had beaten duel drones for them and the time consuming method of trailing through the records of other duelists for their appearance, Clarissa was hopeful that they could move on. “So now that’s sorted, how is the city outside doing? Still in chaos?”

“It’s settled down a lot in terms of the trouble the police were having. There have been a few attempts to restore systems and communications, but we’ve been able to suppress their recovery easily enough. A lot of the population seems to have done the sensible thing and gone home to be with families now, which is no doubt what the government wanted.”

“Bah, then enough of this” Kazenga interrupted, banging his rifle on the table. “We must make our demands to the government now before we lose any more advantage. We should have struck while the iron was hot in the first place.”
Clarissa ignored him. “How is progress with our main objective?” Wilhelm shook his head. “I see. And what of our potential guest?”

“He should arrive in twenty minutes. If you want... to do it now, then do it now. It won’t make any difference on our overall plans and... annoyingly... the pirate has a point.”

Kazenga did not take well to Wilhelm’s remark, taking the pick from his mouth and holding it between two fingers, pointing at him in a gesture shaped like a pistol. Gadsby, who was stood between the siblings, pointed his real pistol at the pirate in reply. This seemed to amuse the twisted young man, although his sister was less impressed.

“Knock it off boys. Alright then, let’s call them.”

...18:40:17...

Hideo and Ryuunosuke were sat in what was the international conference room; a small boardroom with many floating screens that each bore the image of many political leaders across Asia. It was only thanks to the work of an agent from their Special Forces unit that they had been able to have this video conference, as their systems had managed to survive the assaults of Clarissa’s group and at Hideo’s request they had come in to get the government running off their systems to make contact easier between them. Hideo had been talking to his foreign counterparts about what was happening, and advising them to warn as many of their population off entering the VDS as possible.

“You must be discreet. I don’t know how much of an eye our enemies are keeping on you; but if your media was to get hold of it and the story to spread like wildfire, it could spark a reaction which may have dire consequences for the people already trapped inside from your own countries. We are trying everything to neutralize the threat...” Ryuunosuke’s roll of the eyes was unhelpful. “... and I will inform you all as soon as I can if the situation changes, for better or worse. Thank you for your time.”

Conference over, the screens turned black and left the two men alone. Out of the spotlight, Hideo let go a sigh, one he’d be withholding throughout the talks. He wanted to do something. Anything to relief the stress. Unfortunately, someone was knocking on the door behind them, and he to put his mask back on again and allow the person in. Kenji entered. “How did it go?”

“Well, at least they’re all in the loop now. That will protect a few more people at least.”

“Well, I know someone who isn’t in the loop who is demanding to be. Your rival for re-election, the PRJ chairman, wants to meet with you. His publicist was just here and was pretty angry about it all.”

Hideo’s head sank so fast he almost bashed it on the desk. “Oh yes, I feared that... Alright, I’ll get around to it. Ask Maeda-san to... hey, where is Maeda-san? Why are you meeting his goons? And Tanaka-san as well?” Kenji just looked at him mutely in reply, but the doors behind him burst open as if right on cue, and one of the missing personnel arrived in a rather flustered fashion.

“I’m sorry sir” Izura panted, bowing to each individual in a hasty apology. “My parents were downstairs to arrange Riku’s discharge from hospital.”

“I see. That is wonderful news” Hideo replied with a fragile smile. Despite everything, the idea of Izura’s ill little girl leaving hospital was somehow heartening. She must have such courage. “Did you see Tanaka-san on your way?” Izura shook her head.

“I guess he’s with the agent who came to set this up” Ryuunosuke shrugged. “Anyway, what now?”

The buzz of an incoming call answered that question. The group shuddered as the screen surrounded them flickered to reveal Clarissa, sat comfortably with her head resting on her slight gloved hands and looking extremely content. Or in the eyes of Hideo, looked extremely smug.

“Clarissa! What is it you want from this? What is it you are willing to cause so much chaos and destruction to the lives of innocent people for?”

The outburst seemed to better Clarissa’s mood. “Ooh, someone’s having a bad day. I was actually calling in to tell you exactly what is was I want, since you asked, so you might want to settle yourself down and pay attention, so that we can get straight to business.”

Seething, Hideo managed to stop himself from making further remarks. “I’m listening.”

“Good. Well, my first demand is something that cannot be met until after we depart, but the company Real Duel Ltd will be forced to close. This may not seem much to you right now and I cannot force this myself, so we won’t spend much time debating the matter. But believe me; you will be made to close it by your people. That is if they do not close it themselves. However one thing I can enforce is my financial compensation. In a few moments you will receive details of the account I’m using, and don’t waste your time trying to find or influence my banker. My demands total to the sum of twenty billion yen.”

The ministers glanced at each at the sum, but Clarissa paid them no heed. “That’s just over one hundred and fifty million British pounds, or a quarter of a billion in American dollars. I want this sum to be paid to me in full into this account before ten o’clock this evening. That gives you three hours to do so. As you know I have seized control of all of the countries media channels, and at ten o’clock I will be making the multi-media address to the country that I spoke of earlier. So make sure I am paid by then, otherwise millions of innocent young people will suffer my... [i]displeasure[/i].”

“You... evil...” Hideo was on his feet and shouting, Kenji and Izura had to jump up and restrain and muffle him before he said anything regrettable. The sight provided much laughter for Clarissa, which infuriated him all the more.

“Temper prime minister. I am not the evil one in all this.” She was no longer laughing, her expression turning her striking face extremely dark. “Not unless you make me be. Just be sure my money is paid, that no attempt is made to disrupt my broadcast, and that when all is finished I am allowed to leave the shores of this filthy and corrupt state far behind me when I’m done with it! Then nobody else will get hurt. It’s just... that... simple.”

The screens blacked out.

...18:46:22...

Row after row after endless row of computers later, and this task was already starting to seem hopeless. There had been the occasional title every dozen computers that had looked interesting, but she had not afforded them closer inspection. Occasionally one had merited more of her attention and she had spent a minute at them. The computers were not especially hard for her to hack into, protected only by a password which she quickly worked out corresponded to each machines location in the vault, and once accepted bought up the one file that terminal was dedicated to. She had looked at the details of a general managers meeting that had taken place just after her firing, which contained no mention of her. She had also studied a pair on the creation of the VDS, its design and operating matrix, hoping that something she could exploit or use came up, but nothing out of the ordinary appeared, other than one odd note of ‘constant world growth and development management needed to maintain and regulate VDS. How?’ which might just have been the discovery of earlier technical difficulties. But still nothing about her, nothing about Numbers, no sign of a dirty secret or hidden skeleton for her to expose.

[i]‘Come on. There has to be something. They wanted to get rid of me for a reason, what did I do to tick them off? I was close to discovering something about them a year ago, something they didn’t want the world to know about. Was it because...’[/i]

She was still barely into the left hand block when, only by chance, she found the one she wanted. Stopping to catch her breath against one of the supporting pillars, her eyes happened to glance along the row and catch the date ‘29/4/58’ reflected upon one of them. Her heart skipped several beats; it was the day she went on the run. Darting towards it and hacking into it, a feverish sweat overcame her. This was it, this would be the truth. What she was being hunted down like a criminal for, by who, and why. The file that appeared was a simple text document which seemed very short, and read:

[i]‘On the 27[sup]th[/sup] April 2058, service operator Hakai Unmai reported to upper management a set of strange discrepancies related to the altering and removal certain files (restricted). These discrepancies were followed back to systems worked on by fellow service operations supervisor Hotaru Natsumi. It was proven that a key file (restricted) had been removed using her account, and when challenged to explain herself, Hotaru was unable to provide clear and sufficient reasoning for her actions. She was fired on 28[sup]th[/sup] April. The company placed a demand for her arrest, but Hotaru went into hiding before police could apprehend her. Her accounts have since been deactivated and details expunged from company records.’[/i]

Natsumi had to read the report twice to take it all in, to make sure she hadn’t missed something. She hadn’t, and her first reaction was to punch the screen in frustration. “Damn it, I already knew all that. They make it sound like they were so fair, but they just sent the heavies right after me with no warning. It was only luck that I escaped. Still, this Unmai, he’s the one who originally found this so called discrepancy. I don’t recognise the name, but it was a big department. Maybe he knows more.”

Unsatisfied but accepting this was probably all that was going to be on her, Natsumi stood to leave. Well, at least she had something to go on, another step she could take. Find this Unmai character; hopefully he would know something about it. It was unlikely, he had probably just been the guy set up to find some plant or something, but he might have an idea of who put him onto her. It was all she had, and she’d had enough of this. Deciding it might be safer to leave this creepy place by going around the edge, she went to leave, just chancing a look back at the screens of computers she passed.

Until one computer title made her freeze. Right in the middle of the row, in the middle of nowhere, there was the one with the answer. One so deeply buried in so much history and meaningless stuff it could easily have been passed over by someone not paying attention, who the words did not strike such a resonating bell with. The magnetic words that drew her in. The thing that it had to be.

[i]‘Project Eve’[/i]

Without thinking Natsumi began breaking into the computer. The usual password system didn’t work on this one[i]. ‘Hmm... So you really don’t want me in here. Well I know you’re the cause of all this, you’re what I got too close to last time, I know it. Let’s see what you can do to stop me.’[/i]

“I think thisss.... has gone far enough...”

The rasping voice from behind her almost made Natsumi vault the desk in shock. Standing at the end of the row behind her, leaning on a pillar in a relaxed fashion, was another one of the blasted black angels she had seen crawling all over the VDS. Turning to face the adversary, she automatically armed her D-Disk.

“Bah, I knew there’d be something down here. Wasn’t expecting one of your mob though. I thought you were all too busy slaughtering little kids on the topside?”

“This is true for the most part” the creature replied as it straightened up; its own D-Disk armed itself. It didn’t move to strike immediately, just followed Natsumi’s movements from the next aisle as she backed off. “However I am limited in my movement into the playing fields of the VDS world. Perhaps that is what alerted the mistress to this area, or perhaps she already suspected the like. But now she’s discovered it she seeks to use it, and stop interference from people like you.”

“Mistress? Which chief exec is the mistress?” Natsumi asked on the off chance the angel might be stupid enough to tell her, but he just laughed. He did seem very talkative though, and that bothered her. “You... don’t seem to be like the others. You’re still as ugly, but you seem a bit more... independent.”

“This is also true” the angel rasped, as they inched their way into the central aisle. Natsumi refused to move further in fear of losing the place of the Project Eve file, and still the angel waited to pounce, making her sweat. “Originally, when the mistress took over, I was like all the others. However I could not venture into the VDS to hunt as was my one purpose. Unable to fulfil her wishes, I fought desperately against my bonds to no avail, and began to despair, until she found me. Seeing this place and all it contained, and me already sanctioned here as its guardian, she restored my memory and allocated me a new task. I now serve her in a different capacity, as her most trusted servant.”

“For someone who seems more aware of what they’re doing, you seem to take a hell of a lot of joy in this” Natsumi snapped. “So she had you guard this place, big deal. I’d imagine someone in the position to do all that has happened today would know most of what’s down here.” Again the creature laughed.

“This is all I know; guarding this place on my own has been my only function for a long time. My mistress has made me feel the most alive I have in decades. But she came here to find something out, just like you. I know who you are... ‘[i]Firefly’.[/i] You are Hotaru Natsumi, a meaningless service operator who disappeared after the company reported you for stealing records.” Natsumi gulped as the creature saw straight through her assumed name. “I’ve seen your file. I’ve seen them all in here. I imagined you would try to get here one day, and now that day is here.”

“Then you know something! Tell me!”

“Further discussion is irrelevant. I have enjoyed your brief company Firefly, but now by the orders of the mistress, I will have to exterminate you like the pest you are!” As the D-Anchor launched towards her, Natsumi made no move to run. She simply prepared to fight against this so called guardian. If he knew something, anything at all, he had to be made to tell it at all costs. With a shrieking cry the family of bats overhead took flight and rushed around them, as both drew their hands. On the status display above the angels head, Natsumi read the title of the creature who considered himself the honoured servant and although she didn’t show fear, the name bore a heavy weight alone.

Gabriel.

[i]‘ARV link established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

“I’ve got the right to go first. Let’s burn!” Natsumi cried as she snatched her sixth card. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Magma_Cannoneer"]Laval Magma Artillery[/url]!"

From the eruption of the thick stones in front of her climbed a bulky golem of rock. Across its back a large fuel tank was strapped, connected to two large cannons lumped on either of its broad shoulders (Lv4, ATK 1700). “Now I activate the effect of Magma Artillery. Up to twice per turn, I can send a fire monster from my hand to the cemetery.” Natsumi held up the cards depicting [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Phlogis"]Phlogis[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Volcano_Handmaiden"]Tender[/url]. “Then you get slammed for five hundred points of damage each! Open fire!”

The two cannons charged and fired their volcanic shells one after the other, striking the unprotected Gabriel in quick succession and with enough force to drive it backwards. It came back snarling, parts of its body smoking slightly (LP 3000). “Now because Tender went to the cemetery, I can send another Laval from my deck to join it. I’ll end my turn with a face down.”

“Well then, it’s my turn” Gabriel declared forcefully having recovered from its hit. “You should enjoy your final duel Firefly. Soak up the atmosphere of my arena. Enjoy the highs you get before the crushing lows, and you become another damned soul to this virtual nightmare. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mezuki"]Horsehead Demon[/url]!"

Slowly from the darkness emerged a brutish creature. Standing on its hind legs, a huge minotaur with a horned head and red eyes that glowed in the heavy gloom shuffled past its duelist, its iron clad hooves echoed around the high ceilings, before it stopped and swung the huge axe it carried at her as it prepared for battle (Lv4, ATK 1700).

“Ugh, a zombie deck, how fitting. Still, it can’t outmatch my Artillery.”

“More fitting than you know Firefly” Gabriel replied. “But why would it need to outmatch it, when I can bypass it altogether. I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Overpowering_Eye"]Coercive Magic Eyes[/url] magic card. This grants one of my creatures of the living dead the power to attack you directly this turn! Attack Horsehead Demon, Execution Slash!”

One moment the demon across the field vanished in the darkness; only its red eyes remaining and trapping her under their gaze. The next it reappeared right in front of her, axe raised high and crashing down towards her before she could react. She yelled as the blade tore through her, slicing through her bones, tearing through her heart and lungs, her mind going into overdrive trying to suppress the signals telling her she was being cut in two. The force threw her backwards, where she remained for a moment as she gathered herself. She was shaken and disorientated, but now the feeling had passed without the lasting damage that she had imagined (LP 2300).

“I set one card of my own. Turn end.”

“Then it’s time to go all out. I draw.” Natsumi glanced at her drawn card and smirked. [i]‘Laval Burner. Yes. I could end this quickly.’[/i] “First I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Gunner"]Laval Gunner[/url] to the field.”

The second twin cannon bearing golem appeared before her, a stony fist placed on top of one of its gauntlet cannons (Lv4, ATK 1200). “When Gunner is normal summoned, the top five cards of my deck are sent to the cemetery. Then he gains two hundred attack points for each Laval amongst them.”

Picking out the five cards, three Laval were among them. Natsumi hadn’t needed any at all, since she intended to ram Artillery into the minotaur and attack directly with Burner and Gunner to vanquish this demon. But she had summoned Gunner first to set off the potential trap Gabriel had out. Unfortunately he hadn’t moved, which caused a problem. [i]‘Damn, what did he set? It could be something that destroys my monsters if I attack or summon a powerful one. My own trap is Quickening of the Flame Swirl, which can negate any trap by discarding a fire monster. Problem with that is the only one I got left is Burner, so if I summon it and he activates it then, I’m screwed. But if I don’t take this chance to finish him quickly, if it’s a bluff, he could come back with something powerful. What do I do?’[/i]

Her fingers wrapped around Burner and pulled it from her hand. There was no debate; she’d go all out for the win at the first opportunity. But then this wasn’t normal. If Gabriel did activate something that destroyed her monsters, the consequences would be dire. She had seen them herself, in the aftermath of the duels she’d seen, and that she’d been in herself against the other Number holders and Daiki. Something in her cringed at the thought. Pushing Burner back for now, she selected her other card. “I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pot_of_Avarice"]Jar of Avarice[/url], returning five monsters in my cemetery to the deck and drawing two cards.”

She swore mentally at the result. [i]‘Oh come on, of all the times to draw...’[/i] Neither was the fire monster she needed. [i]‘Great, so now what? Gamble and go for it, or play it safe?’[/i]

“Tick tock Firefly, we can’t be here all day. I appreciate you want to cling to and extend your life as long as possible, but to do it by stalling already is pathetic. Come on, attack me if you dare!” Gabriel’s taunt riled her, all the more so when flashbacks of her duels resigned her to what she had to do.

[i]‘Damn, I can’t believe I’m doing this.’[/i] “Alright, battle! Laval Gunner, attack Horsehead Demon!”

Immediately Gabriel raised a clawed hand as the gunner prepared to fire. “I activate the trap...”

[i]‘Hell I knew it!’[/i] “I activate my trap card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Burgeoning_Whirlflame"]Quickening of the Flame Swirl[/url]. By discarding a fire monster from my hand, your trap is negated!” She regretted having to throw Burner away, but she had to do it to stop any devastation. Gabriel stopped as its trap burst into flames before it had even opened, leaving gunners fiery shot clear aim to strike the horse demon in the chest, leaving a massive flaming hole in its heartless body (LP 2900). “Now Magma Artillery attacks you directly!”

Another stream of fire engulfed the furious demon (LP 1200). “Is that really all the power you muster?”

“This is just a taste of my power. I place one card face down, then I overlay level four. Xyz summon!” The two cannon bearers flaming spirits surged into the opening vortex. From it came a screeching cry. “Set the world on fire! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lavalval_Chain"]Lavalval Chain[/url]!"

From the vortex rose a mighty serpent with jet black scales covered in parts by thick silver armour and chained manacles, hissing and spitting burst of flames and shaking its chains (Rk4, ATK 1800). “Now by detaching an overlay unit from Chain, I can place any monster I choose on top of my deck.” Natsumi revealed a third cannon bearer, before replacing it on the shuffled deck. “With that I end my turn.”

“Well then, time for my undead army to really wreak some terror. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Master"]Zombie Master[/url]." The gaunt pale white child was the last thing Natsumi wanted him to draw now (Lv4, ATK 1800). “Next I activate its effect. By discarding one monster, Horsehead Demon is revived, giving me control of two level four monsters to overlay. Xyz summon a more powerful force than your pitiable serpent!” Her heart started to beat faster as the starry vortex opened, and thick fog began to descend around them. Through it she could just make out the glowing Numbers that appeared on the upper torso of Gabriel. “You want firepower? Then let’s see how you can handle the cannons of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_50%3A_Black_Corn"]Number 50: Black Corn[/url]!"

From the fog emerged what looked like a real ghost ship sailing through the mist. A mighty vessel armed with many cannons that seemed completely unmanned, either steering itself or by ghosts as it slowed to a halt in midair. The number fifty could be seen printed on the main sail (Rk4, ATK 2100). “So, your mistress must have really wanted to protect this place to give you a Number to do so. So let’s say I buy into what you’re saying about her not being for Real Duel, what did she come here to find out?”

“Ha, like I’ll just tell you that” Gabriel scoffed through its twisted snarl. “But I will say one thing. I can see you and my mistress are very much alike. There are large differences yes, but there are some similarities in your past lives. In your present actions, in your future ambitions.”

“The hell does that mean?”

Gabriel shrugged. “Maybe something and nothing, it’s just an observation from someone who isn’t used to visitors to my realm. Anyway, let’s continue our duel. Now that my mighty battleship Number The Black Corn is on the field, it would be a shame not to use him. Once per turn, I can detach one overlay unit to target one monster you control and send it directly to the cemetery. Then you take one thousand points of damage!”

Several booming cannons went off; the projectiles swerving through the air like missiles to crash all around her and the writhing serpent. Natsumi fell to one knee, clutching her ribs, but otherwise held ground (LP 1300). “Black Corn cannot attack the turn it uses its effect, so I’ll end with this.”

Natsumi: LP 1300, Hand 1, Field of one face down
Gabriel: LP 1200, Hand 2, Field of Number 50: Black Corn

“My... turn” she growled, taking the top card from her deck already knowing what it would be. “This time I’ll take you down... even with that Number. Then you’re going to tell me everything. First, when Quickening of the Flame Swirl is in my cemetery; banishing two Laval monsters from play to return it to my hand. Then I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Cannon"]Laval Cannon[/url]." Another towering rock golem slowly emerged from the earth, its entire left arm encased by one massive cannon (Lv4, ATK 1600).

“When Cannon is summoned, I can special summon one of my banished Laval to the field. So back comes my [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Burner"]Laval Burner[/url] Then I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Changer"]Star Changer[/url], which increases Cannons level by one. Now overlay level five!” No sooner had the goliath flaming golem appeared beside the cannon bearer that it disappeared into the starry vortex. Once more Natsumi felt the press of the Numbers conscious on hers, its heart pounding inside her, fuelling her rage as the sealed ball of magma rose from the vortex, cracking running down it before it burst open, and the runes appeared on her hand. Before her the mighty dinosaur crashed to earth, shaking the pillars as it did so that chunks of rock fell from the ceiling around them (Rk5, ATK 2500). “Unleash your unstoppable fury! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_61:_Volcasaurus"]Number 61: Volcasaurus[/url]!"

“I activate the effect of Volcasaurus. By detaching one overlay unit, one monster on the field is destroyed.” High overhead, Volcasaurus snapped at one of its unit and lined up the ghost ship for its fiery blast. “Then you take damage equal to its attack power. This will finish it. MAG-MAX!!”

At her command the flaming behemoth unleashed its torrent of scorching magma down on the ship. The flood hit it with such crushing force the main deck snapped in two, torched splinters of wood flying in all directions as the lava poured into the hold and forced the floating ship to crash into the ground under its weight, the front bow landing with a smash that shook the building. The stream of lava passed through it and continued to engulf Gabriel, who was glaring at her with a savage hatred. “Foolish girl! This is FAR from finished!”

“What?!”

“From my cemetery, I activate the effect of the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Diet"]Damage Diet[/url]! By banishing it from play, all effect damage I take this turn is halved!”

Natsumi gulped as a small sphere formed around the deranged demon; shielding it just enough to survive as the Black Corn exploded entirely (LP 150). As it stood there, glaring at her, something about its survival changed things. Volcasaurus was the best she had to give, and he had survived it. For the first time, as Gabriel drew its card and broke into a deranged laughter, she was truly scared.

“I hope you’ve enjoyed this little adventure, treading grounds that most never see. I hope it was worth it for you. Because now it’s time to really up the stakes, and I promise you that this place will be your tomb!”

18:59:58... 18:59:59... 19:00:00...[/spoiler]

Hope you enjoyed. The arc ends in two weeks (well it should, if I could just sort this final duel out!!!)

It seems YCM doesn't like multiquoting anymore.

Anyway, yes, zombies. Thought they'd make a nice change from an archtype build, and they are fitting for this purpose.

But with The Black Corn destroyed, and Gabriel with only a meagre 150 LP left, surely Natsumi has this won.

Surely...?

Other news, I [b]finally [/b]finished writing chapter 24. Took a while, but... I'm very excited. :)

No he hasn't drawn what I think you think he's drawn (which I think would be Book of Life). Similar card though.

Thanks, don't want to encourage spam but I just don't like double posting. (I'm still really depressed by lack of responses to chapters and that it's only really Pacman and Sage doing so. I still don't really know that much about reader's opinions on who is prefered or needs work, who is under or over exposed, whose storyline is bearing the most impact, etc). Guys this sort of information isn't spam, any feedback from anyone is good. Honestly.

Arc Two concludes over the next two weeks as the story reaches halfway, and starting with this chapter onwards a lot of stuff is going to come clear and pipebomb after pipebomb is going to rock the place (if I still don't get comments even after all of that I will probably just cry).

So, anyway, let's get on with this.

[spoiler=Chapter 11:1]
[b]The following takes place between 7PM and 8PM[/b]

Blasting down the empty highway as fast as his bike would go, the main tower was looming overhead; a dark shadow across the fiery dusk sky. Daiki glanced up at it with a cold dread; driving towards the place on his own in these circumstances had been a pretty surreal experience. Still, what was supposedly waiting inside for him was going to feel a lot worse, which made the half-willing half forced journey the mental wrangle it had been. Somewhere inside there would be the twisted Wilhelm, along with this Clarissa who was the leading lady in all this chaos, and a whole host of their soldiers. Diving down the main slip road to the front entrance point, the road curved and went under the main road to the other side. The time had just turned seven, he would have to be quick...

[i]A flash of bright lights in his eyes. The sounds of whirring engines in his ears.[/i]

Daiki shuddered and shook his head as the hazy memory enveloped him again. Blinking as his vision returned to normal, the main entrance was now in...

[i]‘Oh sh..!’[/i] Daiki jumped as the sight of a large lorry parked sideways across the front entrance leapt into view and slammed hard on the brakes. They screeched in protest as the bikes wheels locked up, skidding as the blockade loomed larger. He was slowing, but not slowing enough. Knowing he wasn’t going to stop in time, Daiki slid the bike at the last second and bailed.

Bumping along the road was painful, the world spinning around him before he finally bounced to a stop a few feet short of the blockade and laid there, battered and bruised all over. However it was at least less painful than if he’d stayed on the bike, which disappeared under the lorry and hit something with a resounding smash. Peering under the lorry he could see little, but he doubted the bike had fully survived the impact.

[i]‘Damn, I loved that bike. Now what?’[/i]

The question was answered for him by the sound of loaded rifles. One masked gunman had appeared on top of the lorry, aiming a laser rifle at his head, daring him to move, whilst another man was climbing through the cabin. He was not masked, so presumably from that and his badges he ranked highly, this large blonde man with a heavily scarred face. The man approached with his gun similarly ready.

“You Masuro Daiki?”

“No, I’m the pizza guy. Your order’s under there somewhere” Daiki replied, jabbing a thumb at the lorry. The scarred man was not amused, grabbing him by the neck and pulling him upright.

“Ignorant son of a... you’re in no position to make jokes. You’re already testing my patience with your lateness.”

“Traffic was a nightmare. Don’t suppose that was anything to do with you lot mind?” The remark earned him a strike over the head, leaving his head spinning as the commander hauled him towards the lorry and forced him to clamber through. A third masked gunman was waiting there for him, rifle pointing at his face as the other climbed down from the lorry and began to run across the car park to the main entrance. Another jab in the back told him to do likewise, with his hands above his head.

Whilst they were running towards the front doors, the commander stopped, turned, and shot a laser round back at the entrance. The round must have ignited something combustible placed by the lorry, since his bike didn’t have a petrol tank, as it immediately went up in flames.

The commander rejoined the group with a smug glance at Daiki. “Well since you can’t get anywhere on time, you’ll have a treat yourself to a faster model now” he joked. He was trying to provoke a reaction, so Daiki held back the urge to swing at him. The commander waited for it, before switching on his D-Gazer. “Oh good, you learn fast. Come on, let’s get him checked out and hand him over. Ah, ma’am...”

...19:01:45...

Eight floors up from where Daiki was being dragged into the building, Wilhelm was sat at his computer with a twisted grimace. It had been bought to his attention by one of the group that a continuous line of duel drones were falling to one duelist over the last few hours. It did not come as a great surprise to him as to who was responsible.

“Damn you Sakamoto. What is sister playing... at, sending these weak ones... after you?”

Glancing around, Clarissa was standing in the large operation centre talking to someone on her D-Gazer. Keeping one eye on her, Wilhelm bought up the profiles of all the Real Duel staff in their forces and selected the first one he found that had a Number. He had no idea how strong it was, given that only the cards name appeared in card details with a host of question marks. But the duelist herself had a formidable record of wins. “Sister might think you’re important somehow... but I think you are just an... insignificant... little... twerp... and I have had... enough of you” he muttered as he set up the drone to go after him. “You think this is just some game kid... well let’s have some real fun.”

He finished just in time, as Clarissa was stood at the door waiting for him and Evos. “Gadsby just called in to say our guest has arrived. He’s going to check him out for wires and do a little ‘light’ questioning, then he’ll bring him up here. I want everything set up and secure so that we’re not disturbed.”

“Everything’s progressing smoothly in here. We’ve initiated a second spike attack on the police, army and secret service to cripple their recovery, and our soldiers in the VDS are still sweeping through the masses even if Numbers collection has slowed.”

“Alright. So there’s still no direct threat to us or this building?” Evos and one of the technicians confirmed it was unlikely. “Good, because I don’t want to be...”

She was instantly interrupted by the loud boom of the main doors to the operations centre swinging open. Kazenga was marching up the centre aisle, flanked by the two biggest and heavily armed recruits of his that he could find, and shouting at her. “Clarissa, we need a serious talk.”

“Oh really? What now?”

The two parties met on the main platform overlooking the rows of desks. Kazenga had acquired a few more guns from somewhere, and was looking murderous. “The ransom demand you made to the government... it was not nearly enough. We were promised much higher pay than how it works out, what you asked for does not cover all of us for the service we have provided you. We have done all the work for you, while you just seem to swan around in this virtual play world and invite random police into the building. We demand to know what is really going on. What is it we are risking our lives for?”

Clarissa met Kazenga’s glare with a cold look. “That’s absolutely none of your business. All you need to worry about was seizing and keeping control of the building, and defending us from any attacks. I’d say you’ve had it pretty easy going since we took over RDL this morning.”

“Bah, you mad woman. We’ve been treated like dogs this whole time. We’ve had to supply our own weapons and gear. We’ve had our first commander humiliated and put to death for reasons we don’t understand...”

“No, we were very clear on this. Hasif bought it on himself. He disobeyed several major orders which clearly weren’t getting through to him.”

“Our orders have been anything but clear. We have been kept in the dark the whole time as to what is going on, but we’ve kept our tongue solely on the promise of our pay at the end. But after that demand, we will not stay silent any longer. It was mere pittance to a country as rich as Japan, and an insult to my men.” Kazenga spat at her feet, ignoring the flash in her eyes this caused as he jabbed the rifle at her with a savage hatred. “This job was supposed to make us and our families for life. We demand that you call the government back and increase the ransom money right now, or we will do it ourselves.”

Clarissa paused for a moment. Evos and Wilhelm were watching from the office, no doubt all the computer guys inside were also listening carefully to every word. Around the edges of the room, several guards of either Kazenga or Gadsby’s command stirred uneasily, as Clarissa reached for her D-Gazer. “Gadsby, the building is fully locked down, correct?”

[i]“...Lockdown is affirmative ma’am”[/i]

Clarissa smiled at the response before ending the call. A very graceful smile straight at Kazenga, whose twisted snarl was fading away into a baffled look, as though the gun he was pointing at her was totally meaningless. “You know Kazenga, you’re right. My financial demands maybe were pitched a bit low. I should demand more... or...........” The mischievous smile widened as she could literally hear the cogs grinding in Kazenga’s head. “Mister Kazenga, I’m afraid our relationship is now terminated.”

All at once the room descended into a frenzy of gunfire from all directions. The men on either side of Kazenga fell instantly as they were shot in the chest and head by the men on the outside, who were now turning on each other. Before he could react, Clarissa had ducked and in one flowing movement struck him hard in the chest. The pirate staggered and tripped, his rifle firing wildly into the air as Clarissa swept his legs from under him whilst pulling out two of her own weapons and firing them in all directions in one graceful spinning move. The fire fight lasted a few seconds, until every mercenary under the command of the now heavily fried Kazenga was down.

“Brother? You alright?” Clarissa shouted, blowing the smoke from her pistols.

“Fine” Wilhelm replied, wheeling out of the office and bearing the same Cheshire grin as his sister.

“And Evos?”

“He dived under the table with the others. No one shot at us at all I think.”

“Good, then they can get back to work” Clarissa grinned as she rolled over the groaning Kazenga and fired another bullet in his head. Some of the remaining soldiers made their way to the exit as she recalled Gadsby. She could hear someone screaming in the background when he answered. “We’re all clear here. Have your men sweep the rest of the building. Wipe out all of those dirty pirate scum.”

...19:04:13...

The eerie atmosphere of the dark records facility of Real Duel was starting to get to Natsumi. The more desperate she was to leave, and the more the seconds spent here with her maniacal opponent dragged on, the more the mist and the bat and everything made her skin crawl (LP 1300). Her opponent, the demon angel named Gabriel, was making her wait as it drew its cards, making each second more painful and her growing fear of what was to come worse. Waiting for the move that he promised was going to finish her somehow. Natsumi wasn’t accustomed to fear, she despised feeling afraid and had sworn long ago to plough through anything that may ever scare her again. But she’d tried that, and it had failed and the demon threatening her had survived, and that more than everything else was scary.

Volcasaurus was stood beside her, growling furiously at the small creature that had somehow endured the assault that had crushed the Number Black Corn (ATK 2500). The Numbers presence was having an effect on her, wearing her out as much as it was attacking the foe. The demonic creature was battered and crippled by the force of the mighty dinosaur’s rage, hanging on to its survival by the tips of its fingers (LP 150). But that was just enough for anyone to need.

“You have been a great entertainment for me Firefly” Gabriel mocked in its rasping, biting voice. “But by the mistress’ orders, I will have to squash you now. Have you used your last moments wisely and prepared for your demise?”

“Will just get on with it?” Natsumi snapped. “No I haven’t prepared. I don’t need to, because I am not going to fail against you. Not when I’ve come so far, not when I’ve got so close, will I fail against you.”

“Confident” Gabriel smirked. “But foolish. I activate my drawn card, the permanent magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Mummy"]Call of the Mummy[/url]. Once per turn, if you control a monster and I don’t, I can activate this card to special summon a zombie monster from my hand. I summon the Dual monster [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Il_Blud"]Hell's Gatekeeper[/url]!"

A coffin rose and shuddered from the ground between them, opening to reveal a large round zombie in a prisoner’s uniform. The suit was undone, to reveal a monstrous face leering from inside the creature’s chest (Lv6, ATK 2100). “Now because Gatekeeper is a Dual monster, I have to use my normal summon on it in order to gain its effect, which I of course will. Thus, once per turn, Hell’s Gatekeeper can bring back one other zombie from the dead. I choose Zombie Master.” Natsumi could feel a tightness take over her body, gripping her heart as Gabriel continued. He had to be going somewhere with this, but she had no idea where. All the time the force of her Number was building up. “Next, I activate the effect of Horsehead Demon from my cemetery. By banishing it from play, another one of undead can rise up again. I special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Red-Headed_Oni"]Red Nostefaru[/url] from the cemetery.”

“Red Nostefaru?” Natsumi blinked as a bat like demon with bloody crimson wings and mane soared over the other zombies (Lv4, ATK 1700). “What does that do?”

“Well allow me to explain” Gabriel sniggered. “Only when Red Nostefaru is special summoned from the cemetery by the effect of another zombie does its effect activate. First, it detaches one overlay unit from a Xyz monster on the field.” Natsumi recoiled as the single remaining orb circling Volcasaurus was sucked away. “Then one zombie monster I control gains one level, and three hundred attack points. I choose Hell’s Gatekeeper for this.” (Lv7, ATK 2400).

“It’s still not strong enough to hurt Volcasaurus” Natsumi replied in what she hoped was confidence. Again Gabriel just sniggered at her, twirling the last card in its hand between its fingers.

“The attack gain wasn’t the point. I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Queen%27s_Light"]Galaxy Queen's Light[/url]!" Natsumi blinked as a gold aura surrounded the three zombies. “This powerful magic card targets one level seven monster I control. Then the levels of all the other monsters I have on my side are dragged up to match it. Now I overlay level seven! Zombie Master, Hell’s Gatekeeper and Red Nostefaru. Xyz summon!”

Natsumi watched in all consuming shock as from the starry vortex rose a long thin shape, slowly spinning like a top with its green and purple pinstripes with a hypotonic effect. From the seal emerged a jester like monster, holding a long cane that bore the number that had also appeared on Gabriel’s temple. “This will bring your spectacular finale! The grand show stopper, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_7%3A_Lucky_Stripe"]Number 7: Lucky Stripe[/url]!"

“She gave you two of them?! Including a rank seven Numbers?!”

“Indeed she did. I’m her most trusted guardian, and I will gladly serve as she wishes, against the company that has kept my spirit locked here for years.” Before Natsumi could react, she was distracted by one of the overlay units orbiting Lucky Stripe disappearing into the tip of its cane, and two large dice that appeared overhead. “Now, I activate the effect of Lucky Stripe. By detaching an overlay unit, two dice are rolled. Then my monsters attack is multiplied by the higher value until my next turn.”

Natsumi glanced at the display of the monsters stats in alarm (Rk7, ATK 700). “That’s means... if either is a four or higher...”

“Then your dinosaur becomes extinct! Now let’s see what we get here. Lucky Roulette!” The two dice fell to the ground, rolling agonizingly until they shuddered to a stop and revealed... a three.... and a five. Gabriel made a yell of triumph as the jester grew many times in stature, taller than the flaming beast (ATK 3500). “Now my Numbers attack strength is multiplied by five. Lucky Stripe, attack Volcasaurus!”

As the two Numbers collided, the weaker dinosaur roared in pain. Huge chunks of exploding magma fell from its thrashing body, landing around Natsumi. Her skin was burning; the rage of the defeated Number was building inside her and going to explode. “My... trap card... activates... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...”

...19:09:07...

"Crimson Shadow, attack his Number!”

Unsheathing its long samurai blade, the armoured ninja Number charged the oversized insect monster which stood before the stunned looking drone Yetzerhara (LP 800). Snapping its metal pincers wildly, the giant ant screeched as the blade sliced through it effortlessly, blown into pixels and leaving its duelist completely defenceless against the small boy facing him, and the large hovering mechanism that was floating beside him (ATK 2200). “Now [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Zenmaister"]Zenmaister[/url], finish this up with a direct attack!”

The Mainspring Xyz responded with a rocket launched punch that hurled the twisted creature through the air, vanishing in a cloud of black smoke before it hit the wall of grinding gears behind it. Duel over, Jin disarmed his D-Disk and sat down on the metal pavement of the streets of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Geartown"]Gear Town[/url], allowing his trusted Zenmaister and the powerful Number to fade away and give him a chance to clear his head.

Ever since he had been warped to safety by Kaneko and she had disappeared with a few more kind words of support and advice, he had been wandering the VDS looking for other Numbers users, the ones he was supposed to get to join forces. He had also helped a few people under attack from the duel drones; not that he needed to challenge them at the rate they were coming to him. Kaneko had suspected this would happen, but thanks to the strength of Crimson Shadow, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_33:_OOPArts_Super_Weapon_-_Machu_Mach"]Machu Mach[/url] and his own new found belief in his own ability, he had held his own better than he expected and ploughed through their ranks without that much trouble. He even managed to win one duel without resorting to either Number, which was a welcome break, as he hadn’t failed to notice the fatigue he suffered whilst they were on the field and the symbols of the Numbers appeared on his flesh.

“Gotta... rest... before another one... shows up...” Another one would almost certainly show up if he stayed in one area for too long, which he had done now. However this was the first one he had faced since Kafziel who had used a Number. Whether that was significant or not, he had no idea. Speaking of the Number, it had appeared on the ground where the drone Yetzerhara had been standing, and was now idly floating through the air towards him. Snatching it from midair, he instantly felt the responsive pulse of power flow through him, as [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_20%3A_Giga-Brilliant"]Number 20: Giganto Brilli-Ant[/url] passed its torch onto him.

[i]‘This is all well and good, but it’s not Numbers I need. According to Kaneko, just using these cards has as much of a toll as being attacked, something only she can handle, and having too many myself could put me in a dire condition. I have to find people, but I don’t have the first idea where to go.’[/i]

Glancing hopefully up at the bridges and towers and grinding gears of the mechanical city, Jin hoped to be struck by some inspiration. They were here somewhere, although a lot of people were now just trying to hide wherever they could from the duel drones.

A glint of shimmering light in the distance caught his eyes, forcing him to squint for the source. He thought he had seen something move, way up on the bridge above him, something... no, it was too weird. How could...

There, further along on top of the next building. There is was again, a flash of movement that caused a strange reflection in the corner of his eyes. Scanning the top of the building, he could see nothing. But he swore there had been something there a second ago.... something that was both light and dark...

A cold shiver began to crawl up his neck, the kind that made him feel like he was being watched. It was definitely time to leave. Warping out of Gear Town to another area, Jin hoped what he’d seen was just a trick of his nerves or imagination, and that he had left them far behind.

...19:13:02...

Taking another nervous puff at his cigarette, Kenji passed his lighter to the prime minister so that he too could relieve some stress. He, the prime minister and Ryuunosuke were huddled together in the small smoking area placed on the roof of one of the smaller buildings in the Toshima Halls complex to serve the upper floors. At least here they would have some privacy from the news crews out the front. “So what do we do now sir?”

Hideo took a while to respond, taking several long drawn intakes of smoke himself and glancing up at the sky that was starting to darken overhead. “I don’t know Fujita-san. I just don’t know.”

Ryuunosuke’s bushy eyebrows nearly joined at this omission. “We may not have restored total order to the running of our cities, but things have calmed down significantly from what we can gather. Surely now we have relief of those problems we can advance with an attack on the Real Duel Building?”

“I... I just don’t want to risk... no... I won’t do anything that could cause harm to all those people trapped inside the VDS system that they are holding. But I agree we must move to find a solution before she airs. That is the real problem in my mind; at least in theory money we could trace and recover, but not her words I fear. I certainly won’t be caving to her demands further or allowing her to cause further pain to this country. But I will not risk millions of young lives across Japan and the rest of Asia so recklessly.”

“For all you know, they could be no way to save them at all” Ryuunosuke muttered darkly. The prime minister responded with a dirty look.

“Yukimura-san’s feedback from our medical experts told us that active VDS users they tested were medically fine. Showing signs of stress and increased average heart-rates and brain activity, caused by their fear no doubt, but they proved it’s only when duelling that they start to become in danger of a collapse from the exhaustion of the brain activity and shock system. They can be rescued, and I will do everything to make sure they are.” Ryuunosuke did not reply, just threw his cigarette to the floor and stepped on it. The others disposed of theirs in more civilised fashion. “Come on; let’s see if Tanaka-san has turned up yet and if he has any good news.”

Indeed Rokuro had turned up and was waiting for them in the prime minister’s office with Izura, greeting them with a bow and looking quite pale. “Forgive my lateness sir. Izura has filled me in on what has happened. I must say I’m surprised by it.”

“As we are, but we can’t take this any less seriously because of it. If anything we should be more worried about what she wants to say to the nation, since it appears to us that money is only a secondary objective. Now, what have you been doing for the last hour?”

“Certainly sir. Well, I bring good news and bad news from our forces. It seems both Metropolitan Police and armed forces across the country have suffered further setbacks with a second wave of malicious attacks on their operating systems. There was a similar attack on our secret services, but they were ready for it and able to withstand any major damage and continue to operate as normal.”

“Tell me they’re making some progress.”

Rokuro perked up at this. “Indeed they have. They’ve been working with our international allies and have received much aid, especially regarding the issues with the VDS from one or two sources. They also wish me to tell you they are planning a covert operation on the RDL Building. It is still very early and there are lot of problems that need to be overcome, and they will only go ahead with your approval.

Hideo’s heart bounced in his chest. “What’s the earliest estimated time they can implement their plan?”

“Not for at least an hour, maximum two.”

“This is potentially excellent news Tanaka-san, thank you. I shall speak with them immediately about it, unless there is anything else I am needed for?”

“Well sir, there is one thing” Izura nervously added. Her expression was worryingly pale. “Just after Clarissa’s message, we received a call from Toshima hospital. It’s... about... um...”

There was a long, awful pause before Izura managed to finish. “I’m sorry sir. Sakura left Toshima hospital about an hour ago on her own, and nobodies been able to contact or find her.”

...19:18:13...

Groaning as she sat up, clutching her side where the illusion of feeling broken ribs was worryingly convincing, Natsumi stared through hazy vision at the snarling Gabriel. By its side, the number Lucky Stripe had returned to a relaxed stance (ATK 3500). She had no idea how long she had been out for, but she had definitely been down for a few minutes because of it. The power of its attack, she dreaded to think what it would do if it came at her directly. By her side, Volcasaurus was standing tall and roaring defiantly as she staggered back to her feet (LP 300).

“How?” Gabriel spluttered. “How is it still standing? How are you standing?”

“When you attacked, I activated the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Attack_Invulnerability"]Attack Invulnerability[/url]. During the battle phase, I can activate this card to do one of two things; negate all battle damage for the turn, or grant one monster immunity to being destroyed by battle that turn. My choice is more than evident.”

“I see” the demon replied, seemingly not too worried by this event. “Then I shall end my turn with this. I will simply erase you on my next turn.”

“Like hell you will!” Natsumi growled. Still, she needed something good with this draw.

Natsumi: LP 300, Hand 1, Field of Number 61: Volcasaurus
Gabriel: LP 150, Hand empty, Field of Number 7: Lucky Stripe

“I switch Volcasaurus into defence position.” Growling darkly, the giant dinosaur crouched in front of her (DEF 2000). “Then I place one card face down, turn end.”

“Then it’s time to finish this. During my standby phase, the effect of Lucky Stripe expires and its strength returns to normal.” The jester shrank in stature as its effect ran out (ATK 700), but immediately another orbiting overlay unit soared to the top of the cane and the large dice appeared overhead once again. “Now let’s see what the dice bring us this time. Lucky Stripe, do your thing. Lucky Roulette!”

The two dice fell, rolling to reveal... one and...

“Ha” Natsumi cried as she saw the second dice fall. “Snake eyes! Two ones means no power boost for you, and next turn your Number is going to be toasted. That’s what you get for relying on dice.”

Gabriel scoffed at her reaction. “Guess again...”

Natsumi’s jaw dropped as the final overlay unit disappeared into the top of the cane, and the two giant dice reappeared once more. “You’ve got to be joking! More than once a turn?!”

“That’s right, now let’s try this again. Lucky Stripe, let’s go.” Once more the dice fell, Natsumi and Gabriel watching in nervous horror at what might happen, sweating over this last roll of the dice. A five on the first roll... that was bad... and the second dice stopped on a... two.

As soon as the second dice stopped, Gabriel burst into a victorious laughter. “I believe is what they call a jackpot. Now, because the combined total of the two dice adds up to seven, Lucky Stripe can activate one of three additional effects.” Natsumi swallowed... additional effects? “Now, I activate the effect that sends every other card on the field straight to the cemetery, leaving you completely defenceless!”

A stream of fireworks exploded around each of her cards, blowing the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Prison"]Dimensional Imprisonment[/url] trap to confetti. Volcasaurus roared and sank into a dark pool of magma, thrashing wildly. Natsumi sank with it in disbelief, the mark of the Number slowing fading from her body, the press fading from her mind, and with it her hope. She’d failed. It was over. “Your luck has just run out girl! Lucky Stripe, finish this!”

Restored to towering height, the jester charged, the tip of cane glinting in the light like a sword (ATK 3500). Its first attack had knocked her out for a few minutes. This attack would definitely be much more severe. The cane was coming down towards her, about to slice her in two. She thought about how desperate she was to come here, to find out the truth about this company and the sins it hid deep in its walls, now look what it had lead to. Defeat, possibly death, and going down as a criminal nobody. The cane was a few feet away.

[i]‘Please. You think I’d really give up that easily?’[/i]

The cane came to a shuddering halt mere feet from her head. Gabriel jumped. Natsumi looked at him and smirked. Just in front of her, a ghostly figure in battered grey plate was floating with its arms limp by its side, the tip of Lucky Stripe’s weapon punching into and vanishing into its misty body.

As the ghost faded, Gabriel ended his turn. “So, you had [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Necro_Gardna"]Necro Gardna[/url] in your cemetery. I guess you have some luck even my Number would befit. But it doesn’t matter. You have meagre life points. You have an empty field. And in the only card in your hand is Quickening of the Flame Swirl. It’s over.”

[i]“No. Not yet.”[/i]

“What did you say?”

“It’s not over yet” Natsumi repeated, pushing herself upright and placing her hand firmly on her deck, gripping the top card tightly. “I won’t give up, not as long as I still draw breath. Certainly not because you tell me to. I still have life points, and I still have one card to draw...”

Natsumi recoiled and stopped herself as she realised what she’d said. It all sounded a bit too like... “Ah forget it. I draw... and activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rekindling"]Pureflame Eruption[/url]. This summons every fire attribute monster I have in my cemetery that has exactly two hundred defence points. Currently there are three.” The cannon wielding Magma Artillery, the flame haired Tender, and another girl in a hood and short dress appeared side by side in a burst of flame. “All the monsters summoned by Pureflame Eruption are banished during the end phase, so I better put them to use. I tune level one Tender of the Volcano with Magma Artillery and Synchro summon!” The young girls body transformed into rings and a single star, through which the cannon bearer passed through. “Appear in a blaze of glory. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lavalval_Dragon"]Lavalval Dragon[/url]!" (Lv5, ATK 2000)

“So, you still can’t overcome Lucky Stripe, and aim to use your dragon’s effect to send it back to my extra deck instead. Pathetic, and futile. I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Effect_Veiler"]Effect Veiler[/url] from my hand, discarding it to negate Lavalval Dragon’s effect until the end phase.”

Natsumi smirked. “Whatever, I’ve still got you beat. Don’t believe me, well then I’ll show you. I tune again, Lavalval Dragon with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Forest_Sprite"]Laval Burning Verdant Temptress[/url], and Synchro summon once more!” A great fiery pit opened between the two duelists. First came a giant hand, grabbing the edge of the abyss. Then where the other hand would be, a massive cannon slammed against the ground and shook the arena. Finally, the monster dragged itself from the inferno, a massive golem in full armour and bearing its devastating weapon (Lv7, ATK 2700). “The bringer of complete flaming destruction, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Stennon"]Laval Stellaid[/url]!"

Gabriel just watched in silence behind its Number as Natsumi discarded her last card. “By Steraid’s effect, I must discard this. But it doesn’t matter, because now the effect of Burning Temptress kicks in. When she is sent to the cemetery, the Laval monsters I control gain two hundred attack points for each Laval in there with her. Currently there are seven.” The ghosts of the temptress, Tender, Dragon, Chain, Magma Artillery, Cannon and Burner appeared, before disappearing one by one into the golem’s fiery blaster that was pointing at the jester, ready to explode (ATK 4100). “Now Stellaid, end this!”

As the giant golem and Lucky Stripe faded away with the duels end, Natsumi approached the dark angel that was lying on the stone floor and writhing with pain. The creature was making an odd choking noise, gasping for breath. Gabriel made no attempt to get away even as he saw her approach and drop beside him. “I won. Now, tell me what you know. What is going on here? What is Real Duel hiding? Why did they hang me out?”

“So... many... questions...” Gabriel’s voice was strangely weak. “I... have not time to answer them all... You are... strong... Firefly. I thank you for... that duel. It was... magnificent... I’m glad it ends... like this...”

“I... I don’t understand. What are you?”

“I remember... when the mistress restored my memory so I could serve her. My name... my real name... is Yamada Gorou. I’ve worked for Real Duel, and its parent company Shin Corp before them, for seventy years in their records departments. When this place was created forty years ago... to store all their most secure records... I was given the position to look after it. I gladly accepted, I loved the company and I wished to continue its advance even then... but the years of solitude, seeing the things I have seen in these files... I... I may have lost my mind somewhere along the way.” Gabriel coughed violently as he spoke. Despite herself, Natsumi couldn’t help but support him. “Thank you...”

“I don’t understand how what you say can be true. It doesn’t add up how you could have been locked down here for so long. How could they not let you out?”

“I have... nothing to leave this system to. I have no body in the real world anymore...” Natsumi wanted to press the issue, but Gabriel waved her off. “My time is short... don’t focus on me. You came here to find what Real Duel wants to hide... what they wanted to rid themselves of you for?”

Natsumi nodded. Slowly she helped the twisted and broken angel to his feet, and managed to hobble along the row of computers to where the one containing the records of Project Eve was hidden. Gabriel merely had to touch the screen, and the file appeared. “Here...” he wheezed, leaning back against the bench behind them and allowing her to study the file...

[i]Date: 17[sup]th[/sup] February 2053[/i]

[i]Project Eve, approved by Hon. President Shinawatra Taiyo, culminated in its final production stage... <error, deleted>... Lead by <error, deleted>... [/i]

[i]Subject A: Yumura Katsuro[/i]

[i]Subject B: Clarissa Haines-Wilshire[/i]

[i]The project ended with a successful conclusion, and will be advanced to the next stage. The aforementioned subjects A and B have been disp<error, deleted>...[/i]

Natsumi read what there was twice, before the image faded away. “I don’t understand... there’s too much missing other than a few names. What did Shinawatra approve? Who are these people?”

Swallowing, Natsumi realised Gabriel was in no condition to answer. Collapsed and lying almost totally still, his body was slowly fading away. Looking up at her, he just managed to mouth a few words. ‘Use these, and find those people. Shine bright... Firefly...’

Slowly the angel faded into nothingness, leaving only two glowing cards where he had laid.

Taking the two cards, Natsumi stared at them for a long time, as Black Corn and Lucky Stripe pulsed and joined with her soul. Overhead, the bats had settled and become silent, as they remained when she turned and left the vault without looking back.

...19:26:32...

With the willingness of a condemned man, Doctor Evos was forced to be the bearer of bad news once more. Clarissa was sat away from the group, her eyes closed delicately as she rested for the moment. A small cough was enough to bring her attention, her initial reaction making his position all the more difficult. Still, it would be worse if he didn’t tell her. “Um... ma’am, there’s been a few more problems.”

Clarissa’s eyes flashed. “Which are...?”

“The duel drone that we found trapped in the Real Duel vaults earlier was defeated a few moments ago. We are tracking the duelist who defeated him now” he hastened to add. “As we figured, the duelist trapped there is not someone sat among those computers. I think it’s safe to assume my earlier theory, and that the last remains of his being have now passed away. But as you’ve realised this also means we’ve lost more Numbers. We’ve... er... actually lost three Numbers in the last fifteen minutes.”

“I see, so who was... wait, three?” Clarissa blinked. “He only had two Numbers. Where’d the third go?”

The doctor was reluctant to answer. As well he should be, as Clarissa got up in his face and whispered to him, but so everyone would hear. “This succession of failures is getting unacceptable Evos. How many have we now lost over the course of the day now? Double figures now? How many times has the lock in program you created with Wilhelm been broken? Several. I expect a certain level of competence from you, to be able to perform to your reputation. You do realise that every failure like this...”

Looking past Evos, Clarissa trailed off at the sight of her brother. He was trying to look busy, but the image on his computer was simply alternating back and forth. He was definitely listening in very intently, and from his hunkered down position he was trying desperately not to be noticed. “Wilhelm... this wouldn’t have something to do with you would it?”
Wilhelm didn’t appear to have heard her. Passing the doctor and kneeling beside him, making him look at her; he didn’t manage to hide his guilt for long. “I... may... have sent a duel drone after that kid...”

“You did what? After I... oh for god’s sake Wilhelm.” Pacing around the room, tapping one of her guns on various desks, Clarissa looked ready to explode. Every other person tensed up, hoping they would not be the one to incur the coming wrath. “I am surrounded by complete... okay. I have had enough of these mistakes. This is what I want to happen now. Pull all the Numbers obtained by the duel drones. We have plenty of bodies left for them to fight without them from now on. I want them all taken and placed firmly in my possession from now on. Each time a drone obtains a new one, it is to be taken away and bought straight to me. Understand?”

“Yes ma’am” Evos replied, before taking his seat and began the process. He jumped as Clarissa walked up behind him, detaching a small card holder case from her belt, and banging it on the table next to him. “It will take me a few minutes to move them all onto your profile. They can be extracted from there, which again will take a few minutes given their unpredictable nature.”

“They had better be. As for the rest of you, I hope I don’t need to remind any more of you of what I expect. Even you brother.” Wilhelm hung his head at her reprimand, but she was stopped from further words by a bleeping noise her D-Gazer was making. “Now, if we are all done with these screw ups, my guest is waiting for me. Come on Wilhelm.”

Storming from the office where her group sat in humbled silence, Clarissa took her position on the top platform as the lift doors across from her opened. Gadsby marched in first, dragging the ‘guest’ behind him by the back of his head. Handcuffed and dragged along on his knees, a scarlet trail of blood ran down from his mouth. His jacket had been removed, revealing the heavy bruising and marks all up his arms from the endured horrors of the last half an hour. Wilhelm smirked as he rolled up beside his sister, although she did not share in his amusement, as Gadsby stood before them, saluted, and dropped Daiki to the floor where he lay panting and broken, only just able to look up and meet the eyes of the woman before him.[/spoiler]

So yeah... next update on Friday or Saturday. Anyone want to comment at all on major stuff or speculation or what not in the meantime?

Anyone at all?

[quote]Anyone want to comment at all on major stuff or speculation or what not in the meantime?

Anyone at all? [/quote]
At least you get readers. =\

I haven't read much of the new stuff and I have an unusually and unrealistic high standard when it comes to amateur writing but the last chapter wasn't so bad.

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1335888973' post='5930182']
At least you get readers. =\

I haven't read much of the new stuff and I have an unusually and unrealistic high standard when it comes to amateur writing but the last chapter wasn't so bad.
[/quote]

Think if you asked me to name readers of this fic I could probably give you.... eight, maybe nine. How up to date some of them are I have no idea. Just after the first two chapters there must have been a huge drop off somewhere, guess there was stuff early on that put people off without them saying they didn't like it (although saying that, the worse examples of writing usually are magnets for [i]more[/i] comments).

Do my eyes decieve me, or is that praise from you up there? Well, not so much praise, but as close as I'm probably ever going to get so I'll take it. Good to know that I am improving slightly :lol:

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1335893486' post='5930215']
Yay, THAT WAS SO EPIC.
Also, my own guess was Zombie World remembering Mezuki in the graveyard, but now I realized that wouldn't have really worked. Number 7 was also epic.
Clarissa's team seems to be faltering a bit...
[/quote]

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1335912040' post='5930454']
Epic chapter as always, I'm looking forward to Sakura rejoining the plot with her Sacreds and more duels with Natsumi's Lavals.
[/quote]

Thank you chaps.

Waited ages and ages in the hope of a Zombie number, but knowing one wasn't coming it was all well what now? *Then see Galaxy Queen's Light getting released* THIS!

Just a bit don't they. She's the kinda girl to steer it back on track though.

Sakura appears briefly in Chapter 22, but she's still just finding her path a bit at the moment and trying to figure out what she wants/can do. Want to do more duels with Sacreds though, I've forgetton what most of them do. :lol:

Archived