Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

Last time I commented Izura was still alive. Mind you, I have been reading and keeping up; I just have not had anything to say that I felt was worthwhile. Anyway, I do now.

The duel with Izura was nice to read. I was surprised she lost, considering she had some face-downs and resolved to kill him, and then unresolved to kill him at the last second. So yeah, I was like what? Then that bomb-shell revelation about her connection to Murtagh was really shocking. Actually, that final paragraph in that chapter was done really really really well.

I think the next noteworthy event is the political timeline is finally starting to come to light. While it was running parallel alongside the main plot, everything (including your other mini plots) is starting to come together with the main plot in a logical fashion; but I feel that you still have some surprises in store for us. That is some great writing.

The horseman may have some internal conflict. That is much unexpected and quite honestly, I have no idea where that will go. (On a side note, I was shocked when Murtagh used Number 92. I was so certain that he/she/it would be reserved for one of the horseman).

What else is there? Ah the duel between Clarissa and Evos; Daiki and Asami. As far as the duels were concerned, they were really good. I enjoyed every bit of it (though, did Daiki summon the wrong monster when he was trying to stall?). I even liked the bit of character development with Asami and Evos. I never really liked the two, but then again, I never really knew them either. I especially feel for Asami now, giving her situation (not her being dead; her not being able to have kids). While I really enjoyed that chapter, the next one I didn't like as much. It's hard to explain, because I can't point out real examples. The best I can say, for chapter 21:1, is that the writing did not feel gripping. While everything else you do: every paragraph, every sentence, every word, every detail, every duel; while ALL of your writing grabs my attention tightly and holds, that chapter didn't quite do that. Your writing, to me, is always a certain level of amazing and captivating; and that chapter (and the first half especially) didn't do that for me. It's not bad in any way. It's just was not gripping, especially considering how the chapter before it ended.

Kaneko vs. Jin was to be expected. I don't play wind-up, so I didn’t exactly get the misplay, but I'm glad that was included by that was bound to happen eventually. I mean the characters have been awake for about 21 hours straight with no food, barely any drink or rest, and a whole lot of physical, emotional, and psychological pain to deal with. But I have to say, Jin DOES deserve some kind of honor: not a lot of people can say they survived a duel with a god-like being.

Now to the present. Kaneko and Jin vs. Murtagh. It's pretty cool that he started off drawing two cards because that changes things up. Plus, he had some pretty sweet combos. Though I was really hoping he would pull some future fusion shenanigans but whatever. The duel was still really really good. I mentioned this earlier, but I am still surprised that he used Number 92. Considering how boss that monster is, I was so sure that it was going to be used by death or something (But I guess he will be using Destiny Leo, eh?). But the duel was done nice, and the long were not so tough to suffer through. Even the summoning of NGEPD was all I hoped for. I'm glad you didn't troll me . . . again. The little bit of humor in that chapter also brightened my day. I look forward to future chapters. (P.S: Feelings toward the Future. Most. Epic. Draw. EVER!)

[quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1351282544' post='6054435']
[spoiler= Also My Favorite Line(s) of the Week]

“Thanks” Kaneko breathed, wiping away the sweat. “An unorthodox escape, but I guess it means you really have got better. I owe you one for it.”

“How about you repay me by telling me how we stop that thing!” Jin gasped. “I mean, you created that? That thing’s part of your soul? What kind of... what the hell possessed you to create that?”

“I was having a really bad day alright? Besides he’s not so bad when he’s with me...”

“NOT SO BAD!? How could that... thing ever be considered not so bad!?” :D

[b]AND[/b]

“That’s... that’s insane! And what kind of amateur uses Burning Fighting Spirit in the first place!?”

“He does” Kaneko smiled. “He’s my amateur!" :D

[/spoiler]

[/quote]

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='guuu1234' timestamp='1351544921' post='6056658']
reviewing epicness reduced for sake of space
[/quote]

All comments are worthwhile. Seriously.

Thanks for the review sir. Glad I'm still throwing up some interesting and shocking stuff. Amazed by how stunned everyone was that Murtagh used Fake God Dragon, given his deck and mentality. Ah well. Destiny Leo is an interesting guess (there's not exactly many proverbial donkey tails left to pick from and stick in eh?)

No, Daiki just lied when he said he used Little Trooper to summon a second when he actually set Key Man, making Asami think he was stalling when he only had the one and was setting himself up. Can understand about that chapter not grabbing people by the neck and dragging them off on a wild ride, probably had an off day when I wrote it and my heart wasn't in it and that showed (immediately worries about final two chapters). The misplay was just going into Zenmaister had no benefit even before feeding Genome Heriter, given the combined play with Overwind it would have been more beneficial just to use Juggler. Feelings Towards the Future was a last minute thing, but I had to find an alternative to Monster Reborn, as otherwise she could have just "I use Monster Reborn on Heriter and use its effect for the win". Which would have been ugh. That's the main reason for the change to Crafty Pitfall destroying 3 monsters.

As for Murtagh, well you'll find out in a minute. The only way I could get things to work was him drawing two cards, but it kinda worked okay (and levelling handicap duels is something I've been getting used to). And yes, those lines were intentionally comic relief. :D

[quote name='Thunder Spark' timestamp='1351553606' post='6056818']
Ill have a review up in a bit, mate. Gotta catch.
[/quote]

Thanks man, good to hear you are still about.

First of all, today's update. Must say when I woke up today I was really low about doing it and considered not doing it at all considering how crummy the last few days have been and that I've only written one chapter in 3 and a half weeks. See the above rant, which was pretty much more a reaction to this potential diagnosis of tinnitus and general depression than anything and me lashing out (having somehow stopped myself in public, just). Yeah, so things aren't great here. Managed to pick up with some stuff this morning though which has made me a bit more motivated to update however (no doubt I'll be sent screaming back down by tomorrow, but let's make the most of a decent mood while it lasts). *end rant*

So yeah, Murtagh was beaten in spectacular (ahem) fashion. What does this mean? Is he dead? Did everyone else survive the palace exploding? What will happen next? Let's find out shall we. Word of advice first though: depending on how hardy you are, a box of tissues may be needed from the off...

[spoiler=Chapter 22:1][b]The following takes place between 6AM and 7AM.[/b]

Standing before the large block of twisted and broken metal wrapped in darkness, the giant armour plated incarnation of War studied the machine. This creation, now in their hands at the edge of the abyss, had bought all things to this point. It had fired the first shot, the signal to the beginning of the final judgement of the world still the same in whatever form it now took, and with that shot it had started a countdown not from a new birth as its creator intended, but down to its death.

Whereas the machine was silent and motionless now, held steadfast in position despite the damage from the rip between realities that opened from inside the machines very core was the Number plate. They were almost all there; the collection of cards that bestowed incredible power to their transformed users as they willed. In a blink he was standing before it, having only to simply step forward and be up there. A convenient little trick that came with being the embodiment of pain and anger that had been useful during his time, now he was accustomed to quite lazily moving in this fashion at a whim to stand up here. He had noticed over the minutes how a few more of them were absent than there should, but slowly they returned one by one to their respective sections; Number 92 the last to reappear in a dark glow into its slot in the bottom left. His gaze through his helm fixated on that card. An almighty dragon, the same Rank as his own Number, and a powerful beast that bore the title of god. That power, it would be his. Only he could wield it. Greedily War reached for it, to claim its power.

As soon as his gauntlet made contact the card turned black, before an almighty pulse of energy ran up through him like a million volt shock. Such a thing would have launched a mortal and killed them before they could take another heartbeat, but although he was no longer mortal the defence still did a job. War instantly withdrew his hand and shook it like he’d been stung, grumbling a stream of Russian profanities.

A harsh laughter from below and behind cut him off. Standing below the machine his brothers had appeared, watching him through their masks and helmets. The taller knight stood at the front, resting his gauntlets on his staff and laughing, whilst the other brothers in black armour and white cloak stood silently behind him. War grimaced as he studied the others, something that despite his helmet the fourth horseman picked up on. [i]“You thought it would be that easy War?”[/i]

“I don’t see why not. Why wouldn’t I try to take them when they’re all just sitting here?”

[i]“Because even now they are still connected to their original by bonds that cannot be broken, even when the distance of an entire reality separates them” the pale knight explained. “We may have their vessels, but their spirits still firmly belong to her, connected to her as they are a part of her, and she is a part of them as they were each born from her.” [/i]War was about to mention about some of their disappearances and returns, but he raised a hand for silence. [i]“I too have noticed their absence as proof of that bond. But no matter, she can recall them as she wills; recall them all for all the good they think it will do them. Doing so will only hasten their demise, and it’s not like we need them to bring the final judgement. Unless you think that the Number I gave you is not enough...”[/i]

“No... I mean, yes, I mean...” War floundered as his voice took a menacing hint of malevolence. “Bah, well I can think of one way of breaking that bond. That swirling thing out there would easily get rid of it and all the Numbers, and then there’d be no stopping the final judgement.”

[i]“There is no stopping the final judgement”[/i] the pale figure replied impassively. “[i]Nor will throwing the machine into the vortex hasten it. In fact it would actually do less so. There are things you do not know, that I would share with you now, but you especially will be happy to know the time for battle is almost upon us.”[/i] No sooner had he mentioned the word ‘battle’ that War had stepped off the machine and was standing right before him. The other two also physically stirred, as he made his final battle speech.

[i]“There is no doubt that those who seek to become gods of this world, and those who oppose them, will combine their powers against us. They will have to in order to save their world from the doom they believe we bring, but doing so shall only accelerate their fate. You have all seen the bloodlust, despair, and suffering of this world. My brothers, defend this place, by using the Numbers we possess. Let them come. Let them fight with all their strength. But in the end they will be delivered from their suffering. All will be delivered to the final judgement of the rapture, and the end of suffering bought in Death...”[/i]

Coughing as she staggered to her feet, Kaneko forced herself to stand and blearily look around. Not that she could see anything; the dust and sand thrown up by the explosion had created a screen so thick she had barely metres of vision, limiting her to stagger about blindly clutching at the heavy air for support. The explosion caused by the fight between the two mighty dragons had laid waste to the royal chamber. Great sections of the roof and far wall had been blown away or collapsed with the supporting pillars having gone down, which no doubt had not helped with the sandstorm that enveloped her.

“Hey!” She coughed as spluttered as she tried to call out. “Hello? Is anyone out there?”

Silence came back. Still she staggered haphazardly forward, groping for something. Anything. As she did her foot caught on a bump in the floor, tripping her. She didn’t stop herself from falling, allowing herself to come to her knees and cry to herself. [i]“Someone please help me...”[/i]

In the distance, a shadow began to emerge against the sandstorm. Wiping her eyes Kaneko could make out a silhouette growing in stature, slowly spreading a pair of wings as it grew and took more definite shape. Then a second figure by its side, doing the same thing, and slowly moving towards her. The shapes frightened her at first; not knowing what creatures they were, until they came closer and the screen began to lose some of its density she could see two recognisable faces beginning to emerge, as the two guardian’s aura began to penetrate the cloud of the dust around them.

“Adreus? Tiras?” she choked, confused by the presence of these cards. “What are you doing here?”

The two guardians said nothing, just slowly moving through the air towards her. Quickly Kaneko checked through her D-Disk and found their cards in her extra deck. She didn’t understand; both were still and silent in her hand, yet the two were maybe a dozen metres before her now. How could this be? She tried to think, and remember what sensei had told her when she received the two cards two years ago.

[i]“Sensei, what are these cards? They look super funny... but they seem nice.”[/i]

[i]“They are especially for you... from...”[/i] Frustrating; her memory still felt hazy from Murtagh’s meddling.

[i]“From... they are... they know where they are?”[/i] Kaneko hammered against her legs in annoyance that she couldn’t remember properly. She vaguely remembered feeling happy at the time, yet she didn’t think it was simply because sensei had given her a gift. It was more that they symbolised... something.

[i]“Yes, they are their friends. They had to go far away... they asked Adreus and Tiras to look after and guard you until... There are two copies of each... They will...”[/i]

“What is it!?” she shouted at the guardian angels. “Please tell me! What are you trying to tell me?”

The guardians stopped for a moment, floating in the air, yet still they remained mute. As she stared helplessly at them for answers, the fallen angel Adreus began to move forward again and smiled at her, a warm smile he reserved only for her, before his aura began to fade and he disappeared. Tiras lingered behind his dark brother but gave her a similar smile, before he too vanished. Panicked she sprang up.

“Wait! Don’t leave...”

She stopped as the sand screen lessened, and another shadow emerged beneath where Adreus had been. The smaller, thinner shadow wobbled and staggered forward, stooped at a haggard angle, before emerging from the billowing veil came a woman she recognised. That was the woman who had been collecting her Numbers earlier, who the duel drones called their mistress, and she had also seen very briefly in her Polar Star Radiance what seemed like an eternity ago. This tall, fearsome yet beautiful lady; her being here she didn’t understand, but now she seemed different from the one who had been trying to gain her power. That she had seen battling against Murtagh’s allies, alongside Jin; trying to rescue her. Who had called her... her little girl...?

The woman froze in her tracks as she caught sight of her, jaw dropping and eyes wide as they stared at her. Kaneko mirrored her actions exactly. The two just stood there staring at each other, completely alone in their own little world, both failing to speak, until Kaneko’s memory started to come back...

[i]“They are especially for you, a gift from your parents.”[/i]

[i]“From my parents? They are friends of my parents? Do they know where they are?”[/i]

[i]“Yes, they are their friends. They had to go far away for a while... on a journey. Don’t cry; they had to go, and they wanted to take you too. But they love you, so they asked Adreus and Tiras to look after and guard you until they returned. There are two copies of each card, these and those possessed by your parents. They will return to you one day, these cards symbolise that. Keep them safe.”[/i]

The memory ended, leaving her swaying on the spot as she took it in. The woman was still stood there, oblivious to her battle scars as she stared fixated at her, seemingly unable to find words. She couldn’t find them either. She felt... this was...? She was...?

“... mommy?”

The woman gasped, before slowly with tears welling up in her dark brown eyes she smiled and nodded. Finding the energy from somewhere to go forward one last time, Clarissa forced herself to move, arms outstretched, as the little girl who had finally recognised her positively sprinted forward with her little hands grabbing towards her, calling her name for all she was worth.

“Mommy? Mommy!”

“My baby.” Oh those words, she’d waited so long to say them to her. She could barely believe it was happening as Kaneko hurtled towards her across this destroyed palace, her bright blue eyes were also welling up, calling out for her mother. “It’s okay sweetie. I’m here. Mommy’s here.”

She was almost in reach now. The little girl was running blindly towards her, stumbling and tripping at the last second. Reacting with only the instinct a mother could and needing all her remaining strength to do so, Clarissa caught her mid-fall and scooped her up, hugging her tightly as the little girl tightly wrapped her arms around her shoulders, buried her face into her and started positively bawling.

“Mommy! I missed you!”

“I... I missed you too dear. So very much. I promise I won’t ever leave you again.”

Someone behind her groaned. The sand had completely settled now, unveiling the figure staggering towards them, one she suddenly felt so relieved to see, clutching his head and groaning. When Daiki looked up and saw Clarissa and Kaneko looking at him he stopped, gulped and blinked several times. She was there, looking right at him. It was all well and good for Clarissa who’d been planning for this moment for years however it might go down in the moment; he’d had barely hours for the most part of which he’d been pretty preoccupied. He had no idea what to say. Kaneko looked at him curiously for a moment, and asked. “Daddy?”

Clarissa smiled and nodded, allowing the little girl to reach out and clutch at him, wanting him to come over. Never in his life having felt so nervous he obliged, and as soon as he was in reach she twisted and squeezed him also around the shoulders with a surprisingly tight hug for such a little girl. Embarrassed he looked at Clarissa for help, but she just smiled at him. This left him even redder in the face.

“Erm... hi, er... Kaneko. I’m... er...”

“You’re not very good at this are you darling?” Clarissa chuckled. That, and the feeling Kaneko was also laughing between sobs made him feel even more embarrassed. “Go on. Just talk to her normally.”

“Right... sorry. I just can’t quite believe it is all. To be here with you, to have you holding me, it’s all a bit much.” The little girl lessened her steely grip so she could look at him again, smiling in that peculiar way at him. Something he had no explanation for compelled him to hold her, although he knew there was no way Clarissa was going to let her go right now. So he contended himself just to hold her hand and wipe the last of her tears away. “You’re so beautiful... more than I ever imagined.” Kaneko beamed and locked the hug back on him, shouting “Daddy! Daddy!” over and over in her exuberance. Looking past her Clarissa nodded, in a way that seemed to indicate that was a bit better. The gaze between them as they held their daughter was... odd, it felt somewhat different to before.

A short distance away from the reunited family, Sakura crawled coughing and hacking over to where Jin was slowly coming round and helped him sit up. He was sore and battered all over, but he managed to do so with minimal pain. Senses gathered he pointed out the group, and the two sat there silently watching them for a moment. They didn’t need to say anything. It was their moment after all. The relief in all of their faces, the love for the little girl despite their separation and denial of, was blessed. Even the parents, who kept glancing at each other with expressions that Sakura had once experienced seeing, even if they were keeping them in check, the scene made her feel relieved... yet somehow empty inside.

“They look so happy together now. I’m glad they got reunited” Jin whispered.

“Yeah, me too.” Satisfied they watched the happy scene, able to just forget about everything else for a few moments, until they were forced to face reality again. “So what about... oh no!”

Remembering and searching for a sign of danger, Sakura forced Jin to his feet and shouted to the others. Far across the chamber less dark with the roof removed, Murtagh was slowly regaining consciousness and pushing himself awkwardly off the ground, trying to shake off the effects of what had happened. Watching him as he regained awareness and hobbled around to face them, and in doing so revealing his horrifying new face. The scars on his cheek and neck that had been healed had now been reformed and multiplied tenfold; deep savage bleeds covered the entire left side of his face, which were amplified by his shocked, disbelieving expression from taking in the image of Kaneko awake and in her parent’s arms as he tried to comprehend his defeat. Entranced by his savage, twisted, thunderous glare as he refused to accept it, one that contrasted so much with the insane chuckling that followed.

“If I’m... going down..., the least... I can do........ is go down in a blaze of sour grapes!” he cackled. His whole body was starting to burn with godlike energy, but the group couldn’t move for fear. “And take you all down with me! Sorry to spoil your little reunion, but it’s time to say goodbye again... for good!”

With a savage roar, Murtagh released the energy in a wave of flame. Flames that engulfed everything, spreading across the ground and around the entire chamber in an all consuming inferno. Laughing manically at his underhanded victory and eliminating these pests this time, Murtagh basked in the heat of uncontrollable fire.

Until the heat faded, and he watched open mouthed as it all slowly died and petered out. To his utter disbelief Kaneko was sitting there in the arms of her stunned mother, palm open and pushed forward to create a barrier around the group, and the barrier was draining all the heat out of the fires and nullifying them until they all went out. The girl didn’t even break sweat in doing so as the barrier lowered, leaving them all completely unharmed. Failure did not compute well.

“Oh that’s just not fair now!” Murtagh moaned, flopping down into a cross legged position and starting to sulk. “Why can’t the bad guy win for a change?”

[i]“Come on Murtagh. Is our great ruler of all he surveys having a tantrum like a little brat?”[/i]

Expression unchanged by the remark Murtagh looked over his shoulder to see who had dared insult him, as two figures emerged from the stairwell at the back. Natsumi stepped out of the darkness, unwavering under his murderous look as she walked up to him and waited for him to finish. She gave the kids a curt nod, before turning to the little family holding Kaneko and did the same, keeping any surprise or indeed any emotions she had firmly hidden. Daiki didn’t react, so already beaten up and stunned by her weird behaviour, but his senses returned with a crack of knuckles, as Garvan came out and stood beside her.

Murtagh beat him to the question. “What have you been playing at Garvan? I thought I ordered you to find the guys who have taken those Number cards and threaten to destroy us.”

“You did, and I have done, with Natsumi’s help” he replied simply. He noticed both his boss and Daiki were giving him murderous expressions, but he didn’t relent or really react much. “We might not have much time, so I won’t waste it by asking what happened here when it’s fairly obvious. We teamed up to find the group who are causing the chaos, and we discovered through Natsumi’s intuition that the black holes are gateways to another dimension, where the group reside. It seems however that finding their stronghold was the easy part. Things are getting worse, and we need more help.”

“Don’t make that face at me Daiki” Natsumi snapped as he indeed turned to her for an explanation. “I did what needed to be done to sort this mess out. It’s not about whose on whose side anymore; it’s about us all working together to stop a greater threat that otherwise will kill us all. In this other reality is an abyss that is sucking in everything from this world and destroying it, and its getting more powerful. I don’t know how long it will take, but we could be looking at just a few hours until the whole world and everything in it plunges into that abyss.”

“Bah, so there’s a group of nut-bags living in there who rather than live under my rule would have everything end completely” Murtagh snapped. “And you thought I was sulking. So you went in there, whoopee do, but then what? Didn’t you go and fight any of this big bad group?”

“That’s why we came back” Garvan shrugged. “We saw three of the group. There appears to be four of them, as they have modelled themselves on the beings called the four horsemen of the apocalypse; Disease, War, Famine, and Death.”

“For those who don’t know, I’ve already duelled against two of them” Natsumi added. “War and Famine were once human, but they definitely aren’t anymore, they are now vicious duelists who kept going on about a higher purpose and were quite happy to try and kill me for it, and did my partner. I don’t know why or how, but they’ve become horseman bent on this destruction. But there’s something else too. When we went inside I quickly began to feel weak, whereas Garvan and the horsemen were unaffected. Now I can only think of one reason for that...” she trailed off, looking pointedly at Kaneko.

“You think my Numbers protect them?” Natsumi nodded as the prospect dawned on her. “I don’t know, maybe. I don’t understand how that’s possible...”

“Your Numbers protect their holders do they not?” Sakura asked. Kaneko nodded.

“Well yeah, they do. You see when I was small, I often felt scared and alone. So the Numbers were born from my thoughts and feelings; to keep me safe as well as be my friends. But to think that power extended to a whole different place you otherwise couldn’t live in... I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”

“But all the Numbers disappeared with the machine into one of those rip things” Daiki pointed out the empty space where the converter had been. “We don’t know what happened after that, and from what I understood of what Murtagh said, only you two and Garvan have your decks wired to its defence thing.”

“True, but you’re forgetting that the Numbers are part of me” Kaneko grinned. “They are my soul, I can feel them out there somewhere still, even faintly, and they will not pass themselves into another’s hands unless they prove themselves in combat. Even if we are separated by a whole reality, I can call them back.” Her smile faltered slightly despite her optimism. “I think.”

“Well either way we’re going to have to try it” Garvan shrugged. “As we said, things are getting worse world over, and it’s only a matter of time until everything is pulled into the abyss. Doesn’t matter whether you’re fighting for the old world or for Murtagh’s world” he added, pointedly looking at each group in turn as they looked uncooperative. “You can fight over what kind of world you both want later; let’s just make sure we still have one left to fight over first. Now are we all in?”

Frustratingly everyone hesitated at first, possibly more at the prospect of joining forces than anything. Murtagh eventually stood up and walked off, muttering something about “needing to hurt someone”. With a shrug Jin made the first step across, coupled with a reluctant groan from Sakura as she followed. However the other three remained as they were. Daiki just continued to focus his gaze on Garvan, but Clarissa just stared at them all, clutching Kaneko even tighter with a terrified look on her face.

“No.”

“The hell do you mean ‘no’?”

“You want me to give up my daughter and risk taking her to this place and fight these guys? Are you all crazy? I’m not taking her. Sorry but you’ll have to find another way on your own, we’re not going.”

“There is no other way!” Garvan insisted. “Nor do we have time to come up with one. She’s got to come, else we’re all doomed you included, don’t you under...”

“Garvan, maybe you should let me handle it.” Stunned mid rant as Natsumi pulled him by the shoulder, he fell back and let her take over. “I’m sorry Clarissa, I can see where you’re coming from, but we need you all to come with us. We don’t stand a chance without Kaneko’s powers, and if we fail... then...”

She tailed off, unwilling to mention the prospect, but still Clarissa didn’t budge. Helplessly she turned to Daiki for answers, but he didn’t seem to know either. However Kaneko tugged on her arm and offered hers. “Mommy, we should go too. They all came to help me when I needed it after all.”

“But sweetie, I can’t... I couldn’t bear...”

“Don’t worry; I know you and Daddy will protect me, and I can help you too. Please.”

Unable to resist the pleading look, Clarissa caved. Ignoring the dirty looks from Murtagh, she stepped forward and joined the rest of the group, before turning to Daiki to see if he’d follow. He’d already made his mind up to go with their decision either way, but he still threw Garvan a look. It was returned.

“Thank you everyone” Natsumi said. “Now before we go; Kaneko, if you wouldn’t mind...”

“Sure” the little girl beamed as she wriggled out of Clarissa’s arms. “Ninety six Numbers coming up.”

“Whoa whoa whoa!” Before Kaneko could move Murtagh frantically wove her off. “You can’t call them all back! Now we might have been able to call some pre-selected ones back across dimensions during that last duel and prove it can be done, but all this chaos started because the converter had four Numbers missing. What do you think will happen if it’s emptied of power entirely?”

“It’s your machine, you tell me” Kaneko shrugged, prompting a stream of curses.

“I don’t have the foggiest, especially since it’s presumably been in the possession of that group for an hour to tamper with now! But I’m telling you it’s not safe to pull them all from it!”

“Well what do you suggest then?” Natsumi asked. Murtagh grumbled and thought about it for a minute.

“Two Numbers each. That should give us enough balance in strength and time to beat them with the converter being a fifth down on power. Everyone pick two Numbers they’re used to and go with them.”

For some this was easier than others, as they each approached Kaneko, told her what they wanted, and after a moment the cards appeared in bundles of light in her hands. Murtagh went first; quickly deciding to go with Big Eye and Shark Drake. Garvan chose Leviath Dragon and Galaxy Queen, and Natsumi went for Black Corn and her trusty Volcasaurus, obviously relieved as Kaneko gave the flaming behemoth to her to have it back. Jin took longer to decide, before settling for Giganto and Crimson Shadow over the emotional attachment to Machu Mech. For the others it was a simpler choice. Clarissa and Daiki had only used two Numbers. As Daiki took them, he felt better for holding Hope again, but as for Black Mist, he hoped it wouldn’t come down to using it. Sakura also, muttering she’d rather have just one Number, took to being reunited with Shock Ruler without a further word. Finally Kaneko summoned two more cards; Genome Heriter and something called ‘Focus Force’, and pocketed them for herself.

“See, knew it would be all good. Now all we need is to find a black hole to pass through right?”

Murtagh didn’t wait. Without further hesitation he opened and stepped through a warp portal, scowling as he left it open for the others to follow. As he turned to follow, Garvan stopped as he felt Daiki bump into his shoulder. Standing toe to toe and staring at each other, the taller man remained impassive even as Daiki got right in his face, heads almost butting as everyone watched tentatively.

“This doesn’t make us allies. I haven’t forgotten what you did to me.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time if you had.” The cheap remark got a twitch. “Your point is?”

“When this over, I’m going to break your neck.”

“Okay, that’s enough of that” Natsumi grunted as she forced herself between them. “Save it for what we have to do. Oh, and one of you might want to update your allies as to what’s going on.”

Garvan just shrugged, before walking off through the portal and leaving Natsumi and Daiki to face each other. He was about to ask her what she was doing, but she cut him off with a slow shake of the head and walked off, leaving him baffled as the others followed one by one until it was just him with Kaneko. Giving the ruined Lightlord palace one last look, he took her by the hand and left for the perils ahead.

...06:10:22...

It wasn’t going to take them long to find a suitable portal. Not after all they were opening up world over; larger and more powerful and in greater numbers, causing violent distortions as they did. Mercilessly the rips tore into the world; ripping up small forests, draining the oceans in large swirling gulps, pulling the tallest towers of the rapidly falling cities from the top down in cyclones of debris. People and duel monsters alike unfortunate enough to get too close were not spared, as they too disappeared into the depths of the tears in between one world and the other. Never to return.

Watching another of the rips in the sky above pull hard at the New Sunshine 60 Tower in the south from the transformed command centre near the top of the hotel, Baron removed his D-Gazer and sighed. One threat had been nullified but to little avail, as due to complications they were not out of the woods yet. He almost jumped out of his skin as Piotr tapped him on the shoulder. “What did they say?”

“That things are about to get worse before they get better. The machine that Murtagh used to do all this is no longer in his possession. It’s been sucked into one of those portals by some other guy, and they’re all going in there to get it back and stop him before...”

“Before?”

Baron didn’t want to complete that sentence, and thanks to the interruption of the front doors flying open as Mai burst in, expression thunderous and quickly followed by the blustering PM, he wouldn’t have to. Piotr made his excuses to leave and continue his research just in time as she approached.

“Where is Sakura? I’ve searched this place high and low and I can’t find her!”

“My responsibilities are not restrained to just your daughter” Baron replied stiffly. “I can’t waste my time going around after her when she’s so insistent in getting involved.”

The room went deathly silent. Mai froze. Hideo quivered.

“It can’t be” she stuttered. “She wouldn’t. You couldn’t.”

“I did not order her to get involved. In fact everyone here witnessed me send her to the medical bay with that young lad, from which they chose to escape. But if that’s what they want to do, that’s up to them.” Mai shook her head, clutching Hideo fearfully as Baron turned his back on them. “It is my duty to protect the whole of Japan from any terrorist threat. I have to try and salvage this situation, and I will take any means necessary to do so. Have I made myself clear?”

Dreadfully so. With one last horrified choke Mai turned heel and bolted out of the room, bursting into tears. Hideo stood and watched her go for a moment, unsure what to do, but decided quickly enough. Approaching Baron as he stared out at the chaos in the skies, he said loud enough for everyone to hear. “Any means huh? Well if Sakura did get involved on her own free will, then that’s her decision to make which I have to support, even if I don’t like it. But if I [i]ever[/i] find out that you had [i]any[/i] influence on her...”

Baron didn’t react, but he knew he’d heard. Point made Hideo stormed off, pushing Keylan over on the way out, going in search of Mai to try and calm her down. Baron treating her so carelessly made him furious in a way he hadn’t felt in a long time. So furious he walked right past Tarao and Junichi Ageda without noticing, although Tarao noticed him with much interest.

...06:13:13...

Lightning forked across the swirling maelstrom of chaos above them, as the eight mismatched warriors stood at the foot of the ominous medieval stairs up to the castle, the daunting prospect of being the last defenders of humanities existence hanging over them. The flash of light threw up the forms of the parts and people of the world that were coming through the holes, each being slowly pulled and disappearing into the giant white swirl overhead. This castle was the only thing immune to its gravity, an effect that seemed to pass onto them having arrived on the rock. Or maybe it was their paranormal protectors at work, as it was also noted that none of them felt the symptoms Natsumi described of her first visit. Not that they made them all feel much safer. The imposing structure with its perfectly symmetrical outer walls and square towers looked enormous from here, yet the great oaken front doors hung slightly ajar.

Jin gulped as he watched another rip open and a stream of duel monsters of all shapes and sizes came flying through, some humanoid whilst others in the shapes of giant birds that he recognised as the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mist_Valley"]Mist Valley[/url] race, struggling in vain as they each disappearing into the swirl with a silent scream. “That’s going to happen to everything, isn’t it?”

“Not while I’m here” Murtagh replied. “Too bad, I never liked the Mist Valleys anyway.”

Sakura shuddered as she looked up at the swirl. “Um, so what happens if we lose?”

“Either the Numbers will return to the converter, or will be taken from your bodies by our enemies” he carelessly replied, beginning to ascend the steps. “Either way it will be the end of you, only question for you is how slow and how painful it will be. Why, you are chickening out already then?”

“Na-ah” Sakura shook her head and gave chase, the others following them into the castle of the abyss.

Stepping through the giant doors into the grand hall, the group were shocked to discover that as much as the outside was perfectly orderly and symmetrical; the inside was complete chaos. A labyrinth of stairs and passageways trailed off in all angles and directions, often up the walls or upside down like some mad artwork. There was no indication of which was the right way in any of them, all lead to completely differing dark places through various shapes of doors and tunnels in a head spinning fashion.

“Bah, so they are forcing us to split up with this small minded trickery!?” Murtagh shouted. His voice echoed around the awkward walls several times. “Cowards, show yourselves to your God!”

[i]“...................................Very well...”[/i]

Dark laughter echoed back through the tunnels, before a giant holographic image swam into existence above them, revealing their foes for the first time. Magnified up on the hazy images were the four keepers of the castle and harbingers of destruction. The crimson plated War kneeling at the front, shoulder plates rising and falling in amusement as he noticed Natsumi’s reaction. The black shrouded Famine on the right; bladed hat and half mask concealing his eyes but leaving a thin smirk visible on his colourless skin. To the left the hooded figure of the nameless white horseman, staring impassively down at them. At the back was another knight in colourless armour and helmet. The leader, Death.

[i]“You think yourself a God, Murtagh? Poor delinquent puppet, you could be no further from the truth.”[/i]

“Grr, I don’t know who you are, who you think you are, and I don’t care! Come down here and face me!”

This inevitably prompted only more chuckling from the pale horseman. [i]“You need to come down here. Come down, and join us, into the hell of the abyss itself!”[/i]

Amid a frenzied crescendo of screams, shouts and magnified laughter as the floor disappeared beneath them; the group plunged flailing for each other into darkness.

Groaning as he came to, Daiki shook his head and sat up. The castle had gone, somehow now all around him was an endless barren landscape stretching in all directions. The occasional tree punctuated the landscape, but they were all dead and rotten. Some of them were on fire, as source-less blazes illuminated an otherwise dark land, the sky above devoid of sun or stars, only thick clouds through which he may have fallen through. Thankfully he’d landed on something soft as he rubbed his back.

“Hmm, the weird and impossible is becoming annoyingly frequent today.”

“Get off me, you idiot!” The soft thing beneath him jerked, throwing him off. Not so thankfully, the thing he’d turned out to have landed on was Murtagh, who was less than impressed. “Damn, why I’d have to get stuck here in this illusory crap with you?”

“The feelings mutual” Daiki replied as he dusted himself off. “So you think is just an illusion then?”

“Obviously” he snorted. “It’s all just smoke and mirrors to try and scare us, but it doesn’t work on me.”

[i]“Oh, this is no illusion.”[/i]

Two shadows were approaching from the distance. Braced and ready for anything, they waited as the two figures approached, strolling over the dead lands. Famine smirked as he came into clearer view, carrying a bladed throwing weapon, and War behind him, a hammer slung over his giant shoulders.

“You’re in our domain now” Famine repeated in a cold, solemn voice. “But it is a domain of humanities creation. These fields once plentiful have been burnt to the ground by the fires of battle, leaving them desolate and uninhabitable. This is a true reflection of your world, old and new.”

“Enough of this” Murtagh snapped. “I don’t have time to deal with two underlings and your blabbering, nor will I lower myself to your level. I came here to fight Death, and Death alone! Where is he?”

“Heh, you think we’re just going to tell you?” Famine smiled. “He has no need to come out to face you. But if you don’t want to fight us, go right ahead and leave. Watch as your ruined world dies it slow and painful death as you search, you won’t find him.”

“Yeah we’ll see” Murtagh retorted as he turned to Daiki. “Well, good luck with these two jokers I guess.”

“What?” he bleated in amazement. “You’re leaving me with both of them?”

“Like I said; I’m only interested in fighting the head honcho, not his silly puppets” he sniffed, ignoring his incredulous look and War’s glaring. “You can deal with these guys, I’m going Death seeking. Goodbye.”

With one last swish of coat, Murtagh disappeared in a blaze of flame, leaving him standing disbelievingly at the mercy of the two horsemen. They didn’t seem to mind the development in the slightest, grinning and drawing their weapons as he backed off, with no kind of weapon to defend himself with as they advanced. [i]‘Ho boy, not good!’[/i]

[i]“Hey rocks for brains!”[/i] Daiki blinked as War growled and searched for the perpetrator, gripping the hammer tighter as they approached from behind him. There sprinting across the land with D-Disks already armed and ready were Garvan, and just behind him Natsumi. Famine grimaced as he saw her.

“Need a hand Dai?” she asked as they reached him.

“Like you’d ever listen to me if I said no” he replied, before turning stiffly to Garvan. “I’m not so sure about taking it from you though. Why would you want to help me?”

“Save your pride, it’s nothing personal” he replied coldly. “It’s for the bigger picture for preserving all existence and my own life, in case you’d forgotten about that minor detail. Besides, I’ve fought and beat this hammer happy fool before, so I figure you could do with my help” he added, meeting War’s glare.

“I also have my own score to settle with both of these guys, but you especially” Natsumi added, pointing at Famine. “You little lapdog, you took my whole life away from me!”

“You’re still cut up about that you foolish girl?” Famine sniffed. “So ignorant, you think you know suffering? You don’t know anything, but no matter. Allow me to put you out of your misery for good this time. If it’s a duel you want, then you will feel the full force of pain and suffering! War?”

With a bloody roar War raised his hammer, as did Famine with his weapon, and lightning forked from the clouds towards these two pylons. Both armaments started to change before their very eyes, the hammer into a long, crude stone D-Disk, and the blade in a moon curved sickle of a device. Alarmed Daiki watched as his own more traditional D-Disk materialised on his arm, just like it did in the cyber space of the VDS. Feeling a little safer with it, he set himself for battle with old allies either side, each taking up their D-Gazers. All around them the air began to shimmer with the heat haze of battle, a status display hanging over each duelist displaying their, despite the handicap, matching starting life points.

“Duel!”

“Wait a minute; you’re not taking any life point gain for being a man down?” Garvan asked, ignoring the green starting light he’d been given as everyone took five cards. “Nor hand? What sort of match is this?”

“Why a death match of course you fool” Famine sniggered as he refused any extra cards. “Like we need any advantages given to us; when we wield the might of war and starvation, along with our all powerful Numbers. Sure we need to have a little... structure... but other than that, we have all advantages.”

What he meant by ‘structure’ he had no idea, but he was probably hinting to some sort of handicap that would tilt things, and probably less than levelly. Still, it wasn’t like he could do much about that, other than beat them before they could make use of it. Studying his hand, only two monsters were present. But that was exactly what he wanted. “Alright, let’s go. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Summoner_Monk"]Summon Priest[/url]!”

The bearded monk floated past him, almost as real as he was (Lv4, DEF 1600). “Now I activate the effect of my Priest; discarding a magic card to summon another level four monster from my deck.” Dispatching the drawn [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Wave"]Galaxy Wave[/url], another Priest appeared beside the other. “Then I will do the same with my second Priest; to special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Magician"]Gagaga Magician[/url] from my deck. Then I overlay my three level four monsters!” The chain bound magician appeared briefly before following the two monks into the vortex beneath them. “Xyz summon! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemic_Magician"]Alchemic Magician[/url]!”

The two horsemen scoffed as a small green haired girl appeared before them, clutching a couple of potion mixing bottles (Rk4, ATK 1900). “If you’re going to underestimate my magician, then that’s fine by me. While she is on the field, she gains two hundred attack points for every magic card in my cemetery. Then I activate her effect. By detaching an overlay unit, and discarding a card from my hand, I can set any magic card in my deck on the field.” Drawn to his first card, a trap, he discarded it into the cemetery slot, and another card replaced it on the field. Hopefully it would be of use later. “Turn end.”

Across the field, the green light went go for War, who drew his sixth card with a gruff laugh. “You think you can defeat me again, and without a Numbers? Do you really think I am the same arrogant boy I was before? I will make you feel firsthand what I have become. First I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Armadillo"]Gem Armadillo[/url]!" A creature covered in amber plated drove itself out of the earth before him (Lv4, ATK 1700). “When Armadillo is summoned, I can add a Gemknight from my deck to my hand” he continued, revealing a black stone cut knight. “I chose [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Obsidian"]Obsidia[/url], and then activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Fusion"]Gemknight Fusion[/url], sending it to the cemetery with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Ganet"]Ganet[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Sapphia"]Sapphia[/url] to fusion summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Master_Dia"]Gemknight Master Diamond[/url]!"

“This again?” Natsumi muttered as the diamond cut knight rose from the earth, gem encrusted sabre in hand (Lv9, ATK 3100). “Careful, this is one of the monsters he used to summon his Number before.”

“Obsidia’s effect activates” War continued mercilessly. “When it is sent from hand to cemetery by the effect of Gemknight Fusion, it can special summon a normal monster from the beyond.”

Ganet was chosen to join the field (Lv4, ATK 1900); giving War huge field advantage and making them all sweat as he held clenched his fist. “Now this is where the structure my partner mentioned comes into effect. First, each side will be taking turns in rotation rather than individuals, meaning we will each have three turns to your two. Also, and this is the part I like, every player can attack during their first turn!” Daiki and Natsumi balked at the prospect, but War instead brandished his blunt D-Disk at the surprised Garvan. “However to prevent you three from using unseemly ganging up tactics, they can only attack the person who acted previously until we’ve all moved. So Master Diamond, crush Alchemic Magician!”

Taking its heavy sword in two hands for one big swing, the giant stone armour lunged forward.

“Instant magic, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Moon"]Book of Moon[/url]” Garvan countered, revealing his face down card. “Don’t tell me you weren’t expecting this after your big speech.” The giant fell far short of the magician girl as its card flipped face down on top of it, and with Book of Moon used, her power increased marginally (ATK 2100).

War shrugged it off. “Of course I expected it, especially in a magician deck. You duel the same as you did last time we met. I know all your strategies already. But now I am reborn as the all powerful War, you haven’t begun to see the surface of mine. I overlay level four Armadillo and Ganet, to Xyz summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Pearl"]Gemknight Pearl[/url]!” The silent giant towered over the field (Rk4, ATK 2600). “With that, I end my turn.”

“Then it’s my turn” Daiki declared. “Draw!” [i]‘Alright, so during my first turn under their rules, I can only attack War and not Famine who would be otherwise open. This gives me two monsters with huge stats to get through.’[/i] Studying his monster heavy hand, a path suddenly came to him. One almost like fate.

“By discarded a card from my hand, I can special summon from my hand, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tricky"]The Tricky[/url].” Ditching Trident Warrior from his hand, a jester like wizard in baggy robes floated through the portal above him (Lv5, ATK 2000). “Next by banishing the light monster [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Trident_Warrior"]Trident Warrior[/url] that I discarded, I can also special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_Ship"]Soul Convoy[/url], then overlay my level five monsters.” To all the others amazement a vortex opened high above him, for the angel to descend (Rk5, ATK 2600). “The bond that connects me and my daughter, protecting us both and obliterating darkness with its guiding light. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tiras%2C_Keeper_of_Genesis"]Protector of Precepts, Tiras[/url]!”

“Impressive” War remarked as he studied the angel. “But not quite enough to take down Pearl.”

“You’re right, sort of.” War balked as Daiki suddenly pointed towards his face down monster. “However it can overcome your Master Diamond. Tiras, attack the face down monster!”

The angel swept in, sword drawn, as Master Diamond remerged from its reversing card (DEF 2500) only to be felled by the holy blade plunging through the great gemstone heart of its armour. “Now at the end of the battle phase, Tiras’ effect activates. After its battled it can destroy another card on the field.” War cursed as a shaft of light pierced the giant Pearl and reduced it to rubble, leaving him defenceless. “I set another monster in defence mode. Then during my end phase, Tiras loses one of its overlay units.” Begrudgingly detaching the card, he turned to his silent partner. “Thanks for the setup.”

“It wasn’t intentional.”

“Enough, it’s my turn now” Famine drew coolly. “First I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_Draw"]Destiny Draw[/url]. By discarding a Destiny Hero in my hand, I can draw two new cards.” Throwing away the horned Diabolic Guy, Famine chuckled at the result. “If you were starting to think you might stand a chance after that trifling little success, then you are going to be agonizingly mistaken. I activate the effect of the monster [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Grinder_Golem"]Torch Golem[/url]. By giving up my normal summon for this turn, I can special summon this mechanical nightmare to your side of the field.” Daiki blinked as the ground in front of him exploded, as a massive steel golem with a spinning saw and pincers pulled itself up (Lv8, ATK 3000). “Then, two Torch tokens are summoned to my field.”

“From my hand, I chain the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Maxx_%22C%22"]Multiplying G[/url]” Daiki countered. “I can discard this card, then each time you special summon monsters this turn, I can draw one card.” He explained, drawing Raise Dead.

“You really think that’s going to stop me?” Famine sniggered. “I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Demon%27s_Sanctuary"]Devil Sanctuary[/url]; special summoning a devil statue token to my field. Then I release my three tokens” he cried, ignoring Daiki’s second draw as the three small illusory monsters sank into the abyss opening beneath them for a clawed demon to rise through (Lv8, ATK 1900). “I special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny%20_HERO_-_Plasma"]Destiny Hero Bloo-D[/url]!”

“Another draw for me then” Daiki retorted, sounding less confident than he’d hoped. Destiny Heroes were a surprise to see, but Bloo-D was fearsome, certainly more so than the pterodactyl he’d drawn.

“Whatever you drew, it’s likely irrelevant. Because when Bloo-D’s on the loose, the effects of all other monsters on the field are negated. Then I activate Bloo-D’s own effect. This snatches one monster on the field and absorbs it, then my precious creature gains half of its attack points!” Torch Golem was snared by cords of dark energy from the demon’s wings, pulling it in and absorbing it, as Bloo-D’s attack skyrocketed (ATK 3400). “Now let suffering consume you! Bury that angel forever in eternal darkness!”

At the exact same moment Tiras screamed in pain as Bloo-D sank its blade between its ribs, Daiki gasped as his whole body shuddered stiff. Unable to move, unable to speak, even breath, he felt like he’d just been stabbed, and judging from Natsumi’s horrified cry he could imagine the sight waiting for him when he looked down. As expected, a dark red stain was spreading from his ribs. Only when Bloo-D withdrew and Tiras sank into the earth before him he was freed to stagger forward clutching the wound.

“What...” His sentence went incomplete, as he spat out a substantial amount of blood (LP 3200).

“You thought this duel would be some casual jaunt?” War boomed. “Duelling here puts everything on the line, even your body and soul. All will perish along with your life points before you join the rest of your miserable kind in passing into oblivion.”

“But the same thing will happen to you” Natsumi blurted in panic. “Are you no longer human at all?”

“Finally she gets it” Famine replied. “We have already been relieved of physical pain and suffering. When we were given new life and reborn as what you see, we were freed. Now everyone else will be too; freed forever by the embrace of death.”

“Yeah, what happened to you guys?” Garvan asked War. “I last saw you, what, late afternoon yesterday in the VDS. What happened to you after our duel? What happened to turn you into... this?”

“Enough talk” Famine snapped. “I place one card face down, turn end. Let’s see what you’ve got [i]Firefly.[/i]”

Trying to block out her former co-workers taunting, the last thing on Natsumi’s mind was duelling as she focused on Daiki trying to stand up. “Daiki, you okay?”

“Yeah” he wheezed back in a less than convincing splutter of blood. “I’ll live.”

“O... okay, my turn then.” [i]‘You bastard, you took everything away from me. My career, my home, my friends. The hell am I letting you take away... wait what the hell am I thinking? Just focus and duel!’[/i] “I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Molten_Conduction_Field"]Sweltering Heat Transmission Field[/url]. This sends two Laval monsters in my deck to the cemetery. And because the monsters I’m sending are two copies of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Volcano_Handmaiden"]Tender of the Laval Volcano[/url], I get to send two more” she added, revealing the gunman and miller she was sending.

“Nice cemetery setup” Famine sniggered. “Too bad anything you summon from here can’t help you.”

“We’ll see. I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Reborn"]Raise Dead[/url]; to special summon the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Miller"]Laval Rotating Wheel[/url] that I just milled. Then I summon the tuner monster [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Forest_Sprite"]Laval Burning Temptress[/url].” A stone golem permanently strapped to a industrial wheel (Lv3, ATK 300) and small hooded maiden (Lv2, ATK 300) appeared side by side for a moment, before disappearing in a fiery ring and flash of stars. “Now I tune Burning Temptress with Rotating Wheel to Synchro summon. Appear, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Dual_Slasher"]Laval Twin Slayer[/url]!”

Somersaulting from the blaze, an athletically chiselled stone warrior of medium height crashed onto the earth, brandishing the two fixed blade arms as it unfurled itself (Lv5, ATK 3400). “Because Burning Temptress went to the cemetery, my Twin Slayer gains two hundred attack points for each of the five Laval monsters in there. Now Twin Slayer, attack Destiny Hero Bloo-D!”

“What!?” Everyone shouted at once as the stone slayer leapt towards the larger demon. “But they’ll both be destroyed!” Famine spluttered.

“It’s a small price to pay” Natsumi muttered darkly. “Now go Twin Slayer! Dual Flame Blitz!” Spinning like a top and generating fire from its blades in the process, the slayer crashed into the clawed demon.

“You maniac!” Famine snarled. “I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/D_-_Shield"]D Shield[/url] trap card. By targeting my attack position Hero, I can change it to defence and equip it with this card, which will make it immune to destruction in battle!” At the last second Bloo-D threw out a wing and deflected the spinning warrior to Natsumi’s frustration. “And thanks to Bloo-D’s effect, Twin Slayer’s piercing effect is not applied.”

“Damn it, I place one card face down and end my turn” she grumbled. As her turn passed, the effect of Burning Temptress wore off (ATK 2400).

“Then the action will pass back to me.” War declared. “I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Cup_of_Ace"]Cup of Ace[/url]. A coin is flipped, and one of us will draw two cards depending on the result.” The result was heads, and as War snatched his two cards, an extra glint of malice in his voice. “Now very player has had one turn to prepare themselves, the limitations are well and truly off. First I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Turtle"]Gem Turtle[/url], then by banishing two earth attribute monsters from my cemetery I special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gigastone_Omega"]Gigastone Omega[/url].” An emerald turtle (Lv4, ATK 0) and a giant stone dragon (Lv5, ATK 1000) appeared side by side to the sound of slow, menacing laughter. “Now...”

“Trap activate” Natsumi cried, making everyone jump as she revealed the devastating “[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Torrential_Tribute"]Torrential Burial[/url]! When a monster is summoned, I can activate this to destroy every monster on the field!”

The trap’s power unleashed, a tidal wave blasted across the field. Bloo-D and her own Twin Slayer were washed away, before sweeping up Alchemic Magician and the two rock monsters, even Daiki’s face down [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vengeful_Shinobi"]Evil Shinobi[/url] was not spared, all swept up in one wave of destruction. The effect left everyone’s field completely empty, with only Daiki having much hand left.

“You... you...” Garvan spluttered in indignation. “What the hell did you do that for?”

“Daiki, look at the two monsters that War just summoned” she replied instead pointedly looking at him. “Given that I’ve already faced War before; tell me what you see about them, the condition they meet.”

He didn’t know what she was going on about at first, but she must have addressed him rather than Garvan for a reason. Eventually he got there. “They are both rock monsters... with low attacks...”

“Exactly. And their levels add up to nine” Natsumi nodded grimly. “The card that he would have played next is one you recognise in Tannhauser Gate. With it, he could summon his Number... Dyson Sphere.”

The foreboding uttering of the name of this potential threat, nor her justification, sat with Garvan. “You... can’t possibly know that. You could have at least waited for it to be summoned and then...”

“No, I had to cut it off before it happened” Natsumi interrupted. “Dyson Sphere is a rank nine Number of terrifying might matched only by it size. From the cemetery it can be resurrected; I want it kept firmly in his extra deck at all costs. At all costs; I never want to see that thing ever again.”

Seeing her turning to him for support, Daiki could understand where she was coming from. Natsumi always duelled recklessly but she didn’t scare easily, for her to duel like this in such an effort to stop them from summoning the Numbers she already seen take the life of Field Captain Hunter Webb, he understood. His nod as such hopefully would make her feel better, and although Garvan continued to grumble, hopefully deep down he understood too. Meanwhile across the field, War was visibly seething.

“From... my... cemetery, Gemknight Fusion’s effect activates, banishing Obsidia to return it to my hand. Then [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Destruction"]Hand Obliteration[/url] destroys all cards in our hands, and replaces them with an equal amount of cards.” As Natsumi rightly predicted, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tannh%C3%A4user_Gate"]Tannhauser Gate[/url] was among the discarded cards, but as War drew his restored hand, the slow laughter ominously returned.

“There are exactly five earth monsters in my cemetery” he stated, as small images of Gigastone, Turtle, Armadillo, Pearl and Master Diamond appeared behind him. “In this situation, I can special summon the grand ruler of the earth. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Grandsoil_the_Elemental_Lord"]Earth Spirit God - Grand Soil[/url]!”

Crashing up from the earth, the god was enormous, covered in thick bronze armour (Lv8, ATK 2800). “When Grand Soil is special summoned, I can resurrect another monster in my cemetery. Master Diamond will do very nicely.” To everyone’s terror the giant stone swordsman was reborn; with one fell swoop War had enough attack points to obliterate any one of them there and then. However as the echoing boom of laughter increased, War didn’t seem to realise that as he took his final card. “I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Changer"]Star Changer[/url], to increase the level of Grand Soil to nine. And with that I overlay my monsters to call the unstoppable, ultimate weapon of war! The weapon that will obliterate you from your despised existence! Xyz summon!” The two hulking giant’s spirits surged upwards into the starry vortex opening against the dark clouds. Daiki and Garvan shuddered, the vortex was enormous! Looking at Natsumi in panic, she just stared paralyzed in fear as she looked up, as the almighty death star descended through the gap. The great satellite unfurled its metal wings, to reveal the laser cannon at its heart (Rk9, ATK 2800). Below it, War boomed with the savage joy of battle. “[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_9:_Dyson_Sphere"]Number 9: Canopy Star - Dyson Sphere[/url]!”

“That’s... that’s massive” Daiki stuttered. “No wonder you wanted to keep it away.”

“Yeah, and a lot of good I managed” Natsumi gloomily replied. “This is the monster that killed Hunter. Because if one of us summons a monster stronger than it is, it can attack them directly.”

Garvan swore to himself; a direct attacker was bad news, given he had lost his ‘Battle Fader’ to Hand Obliteration. Across the field, War continued to revel madly in delight at his Number. “That’s right little girl, now it’s time for you to pay for your continued impudence, as you are going to get acquainted with the might of Dyson Sphere first hand. Dyson Sphere, direct attack!”

“Natsumi, run!” His body taking over, Daiki was sprinting towards Natsumi who stood helplessly looking up at the great laser cannon charging overhead, before firing straight down towards her. The laser beam got to her first, the blast launched Daiki and Garvan spinning backwards as Natsumi disappeared in the beam, as the earth exploded all around her. Head spinning, filled with the hysterical laughter of War, the duo sat up to see their opponents bearing down on them with their almighty Number overhead, and only billows of thick black smoke where Natsumi had been. Garvan stared helplessly into the fog, whilst beside him, Daiki’s soul froze.

“Natsumi? NATSUMI!”[/spoiler]

Next chapter up Friday. Maybe Saturday depending on my week.

Comments? Good. Bad. Ugly. Long. Short. First time. Thirty first time. Any thoughts at all, because I'm kinda hoping this was an emotional chapter at start and finish here.

[spoiler=One thing that annoys me about this chapter]
I hate Grand Soil. Why you make me use s*** cards like Cup of Ace and Star Changer?

Such an occurance of a monster being a level lower than I needed is not going to be unique to this duel either <_<

Other than that, hope it was all enjoyable.[/spoiler]

If you ever need to rant, feel free to talk toe. I've got a pretty good idea what that all feels like.

And on to the chapter:
[spoiler='Spoilers... muhahahaha']
For starters, one error I notoiced that bugs me, in that you missed out a y on the line where Natsumi played Torrential. I have no idea why I brought it up, but it just stuck out to me.

Murtagh is becoming my favourite character. Despite his obvious setbacks. He was full of some great one-liners, and is actually be truthful to his character. Him just leaving Garvan and co to do his own thing was awesomness. The sad thing is he is pretty much going to fail.

Duel I shan't comment on other than the suspense and emotion in it. I mean, I knew the moves, but the way you wrote it made it seem amazing. Natsumi's inner conflict, all the tension between the various sides, and of course some other awesomeness's.

The choice of Numbers is quite intresting. I personally would have said that Jin would have kept Mach, since it was his first number. Oh, and now that Murtagh has brought Shark Drake with him, there is no doubt in my mind that Chaos Numbers shall appear, Murtagh using his but failing to defeat Death, and then Dai using C39 to deal the finishing blow. Thats my bet, and has been for a while. Well not beating death, but Chaos Numbers dealing the blow has been.

The Horsemen are getting much more intresting, Dai and Clarrisa falling in love is sweet, Kaneko is a cool child, and what is your sudden hatred of things that fly? I mean first the Mokey's and now the mist valley? Whats next Winged Kuriboh? -__- [/spoiler]

So yeah, great chapter man, easily the best for a while. And don't let it work you up to badly. The little things shouldn't eat at your mood.

[spoiler=It's a spoiler! MAGICAL!]
Wow, Kaneko actually acted like the little kid she is. That doesn't happen very often at all. Maybe they won't end up as a completely dysfunctional family...although, given that they consist of a guy who was memory wiped completely, a woman who's now essentially a terrorist, and a girl who was living inside a computer her whole life, that's a big "maybe".

As for the duel...it's good. Stuff is happening. No really much to say about that, honestly.

Yeah, this was a really good chapter. I guess we know what takes down Murtagh now...running out on your own to kill Death isn't really a very good idea.
[/spoiler]

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1351625474' post='6057379']
If you ever need to rant, feel free to talk toe. I've got a pretty good idea what that all feels like.

And on to the chapter:
[spoiler='Spoilers... muhahahaha']
For starters, one error I notoiced that bugs me, in that you missed out a y on the line where Natsumi played Torrential. I have no idea why I brought it up, but it just stuck out to me.

Murtagh is becoming my favourite character. Despite his obvious setbacks. He was full of some great one-liners, and is actually be truthful to his character. Him just leaving Garvan and co to do his own thing was awesomness. The sad thing is he is pretty much going to fail.

Duel I shan't comment on other than the suspense and emotion in it. I mean, I knew the moves, but the way you wrote it made it seem amazing. Natsumi's inner conflict, all the tension between the various sides, and of course some other awesomeness's.

The choice of Numbers is quite intresting. I personally would have said that Jin would have kept Mach, since it was his first number. Oh, and now that Murtagh has brought Shark Drake with him, there is no doubt in my mind that Chaos Numbers shall appear, Murtagh using his but failing to defeat Death, and then Dai using C39 to deal the finishing blow. Thats my bet, and has been for a while. Well not beating death, but Chaos Numbers dealing the blow has been.

The Horsemen are getting much more intresting, Dai and Clarrisa falling in love is sweet, Kaneko is a cool child, and what is your sudden hatred of things that fly? I mean first the Mokey's and now the mist valley? Whats next Winged Kuriboh? -__- [/spoiler]

So yeah, great chapter man, easily the best for a while. And don't let it work you up to badly. The little things shouldn't eat at your mood.
[/quote]

Cheers dude. And thanks again for your help choreographing this duel. It was pretty hard work that one. Glad it all came across well and everything and you enjoyed it despite knowing the plan.

Fixed the slight spelling miss.

Yeah, Jin did have the toughest choice, (well, aside from Murtagh's 2 out of 5) but over the course of the story Crimson Shadow has appeared more and is generally more useful, and Giganto is just a different rank (although he has already got Zenmine, Mellowmelody, etc that are rank 3). Machu Mech is kinda... situational. Such choices have to made I guess. [color=#ffffff]It doesn't really matter at this point tbh, I could have given him Goldrat and Freezerdon for all the difference it would make.[/color]
Interesting predictions. Obv not going to say right or wrong now, but interesting.

FINALLY someone mentions Clarissa and Dai's slowly growing feelings for each other, at last! I have been trying to drop hints throughout the third arc very occasionally and subtly and then just getting more frequent to here (trying to learn from my mistakes with Erin and Juruo yet keep it slow, given how much is going on for them). Was surprised no-one said they found the bit where they reunite at the end of the Asami/Evos duels nice when she's crying and he comforts her, and she fixes his arm (heh heh heh). Glad Kaneko's cool, can just picture her getting annoyed with them and yelling "ooh, will you two just kiss already?!" :D

If it makes you feel better, Mist Valley aren't going to be the only group who gets trashed in the abyss (Dragunity will be too)..... joking. All the Gen 1 and 2 archtypes from Duel Terminal are turning up at some point, watch out for them.

Thanks again. Just trying to get things done before the weekend. Just worry with so much going on if I don't get it done before then I never will :S

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1351649612' post='6057694']
[spoiler=It's a spoiler! MAGICAL!]
Wow, Kaneko actually acted like the little kid she is. That doesn't happen very often at all. Maybe they won't end up as a completely dysfunctional family...although, given that they consist of a guy who was memory wiped completely, a woman who's now essentially a terrorist, and a girl who was living inside a computer her whole life, that's a big "maybe".

As for the duel...it's good. Stuff is happening. No really much to say about that, honestly.

Yeah, this was a really good chapter. I guess we know what takes down Murtagh now...running out on your own to kill Death isn't really a very good idea.
[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Another comment on Dai x Clarissa and Kaneko living happily ever after. Yay.

Got five chapters left to destroy all these hopes and dreams! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Not if the horseman have anything to do with it. There's plenty of alarming and not good developments for our heroes and heroines yet, and not everyone will be getting a happy ending. In fact at the minute everyone's actually pretty much doomed to a... not so good ending.

Yeah, probably not the brightest idea. But if God Murtagh can't beat Death, then who can...?

Well, from what we've seen ao far, I'm guessing Sakura, who hasn't really playedmuch of a major part, may finally get her time in the spotlight. Also, since everyone seems to have been dumped into pairs until Murtagh ran off, I think Sakura and Clarissa will be a pair, and that Kaneko and Jin will be the other just cause those pairings seem like there's give an interesting plotline. In terms of the relationship between Clarissa and Daiki, I haven't really noticed it until people said about it, but it seems like some interesting stuff might happen with it. Finally, I'm predicting either an 8v1 against death to finish the chapter, or a 3v1 with Kaneko and Murtagh and possibly Daiki? dueling Death.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1351717223' post='6058213']
Well, from what we've seen ao far, I'm guessing Sakura, who hasn't really playedmuch of a major part, may finally get her time in the spotlight. Also, since everyone seems to have been dumped into pairs until Murtagh ran off, I think Sakura and Clarissa will be a pair, and that Kaneko and Jin will be the other just cause those pairings seem like there's give an interesting plotline. In terms of the relationship between Clarissa and Daiki, I haven't really noticed it until people said about it, but it seems like some interesting stuff might happen with it. Finally, I'm predicting either an 8v1 against death to finish the chapter, or a 3v1 with Kaneko and Murtagh and possibly Daiki? dueling Death.
[/quote]

Out of the 8 person group storming 'Death's Castle', Sakura and Garvan are definately the two who've had least character development so far, along with Natsumi. As to how and what they get, eh, wait until the chapters come out.

In terms of your predictions, some are on the money.

And some are WAAAAAAAAAY off. :D

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1351719835' post='6058253']
There's no way it'll be 8v1, that'd just be waaay too chaotic.
[/quote]

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1351720039' post='6058256']
If it was 8v1, then I don't think it would plan out neatly. Im thinking 3v1 at the most.
[/quote]

For a minute my first reaction was where the hell did you both get 8 vs 1 from? :blink: That would be insane. (And how would the one possibly stand a chance?)

Well I don't want to say much about the end stuff, but I'll tell you all one thing. It's not 8 vs 1.

[quote name='SailMasterCard' timestamp='1351772825' post='6058734']
Wow I worked my way through some of your earlier episodes and I must say, combining my favorite TV show concept with my favorite card game, is a definite win! I certainly am going to read up to the end. :)
[/quote]

This thread reached its 24th page! Huzzah!

And with a new reader, awesome. Glad you are enjoying and hope you continue to do so.

Feel free to comment at any stage of your reading. I will answer any questions you have (unless of course it's a spoiler, like if X will die or not or something)

Just one little error in the duel, in that [s]Plasma[/s] Bloo-d is Level 8, not 10. Sorry if that messes anything up.

Liking the duel so far, is it wrong that the Torrential Tribute reminds me of when Black Rose Dragon was summoned in that Battle Royale in Armageddon? Plus the fact that both players who cleared the field were beaten/appeared to be beaten the turn afterwards.

That comment about Jin's Numbers... I hope you're not implying what I think you're implying...

And no, Daiki, you cannot start a relationship with someone who 1) You've only known for less than 24 hours and 2) Had you beaten up and dueled you almost to the death in those less-than-24 hours. Regardless of the fact that she is the mother of your child. I don't care.

I kinda wanted to see more politics, but eh, you spin a good story on the other plot line, so I'll forgive you.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1351856019' post='6059313']
Just one little error in the duel, in that [s]Plasma[/s] Bloo-d is Level 8, not 10. Sorry if that messes anything up.

Liking the duel so far, is it wrong that the Torrential Tribute reminds me of when Black Rose Dragon was summoned in that Battle Royale in Armageddon? Plus the fact that both players who cleared the field were beaten/appeared to be beaten the turn afterwards.

That comment about Jin's Numbers... I hope you're not implying what I think you're implying...

And no, Daiki, you cannot start a relationship with someone who 1) You've only known for less than 24 hours and 2) Had you beaten up and dueled you almost to the death in those less-than-24 hours. Regardless of the fact that she is the mother of your child. I don't care.

I kinda wanted to see more politics, but eh, you spin a good story on the other plot line, so I'll forgive you.
[/quote]

Hmm, dunno how that happened. Fixed (doesn't affect anything).

Simdoggy is right, it was Judgement Dragon Hikari summoned. Back in the days when I was stupid when it came to duel planning in that I held JD back the entire fic for that moment, and in the process completely crapped on Black Rose as Hikari's symbolic protector not making an appearance. Thankfully I have learnt doing this story (I think).

Implying, or imploding? Don't worry about it too much, I don't think I'm impyling what I think you think I'm implying... I think... :wacko:

So, er, Dai and Clarissa would be a no for you huh? As for the politics story, it is still going, although it takes a break for this chapter. This bugger is long enough.

Yeah, new chapter time. Slightly worried by a slight drop off in comments that the increasing chapter lengths probably have something to do with (damn restrictive time frame. Funny how some half an hours are longer than others huh?). This is the longest chapter of the fic by some way, so you may want to make sure you have a spare half hour (I did put a break in there to help out though). Another thing I have to mention is that there are a few card effects that are a bit modified for tag duel use, in terms of who is classed as an opponent and who's a partner they can work on (at one point there are two cards used by Dai and Garvan that directly conflict, but Konami doesn't produce cards for tag duels).

Big thanks to Barty again with this, and once again enjoy hopefully some epic stuff and please comment.

[spoiler=Chapter 22:2]Standing in the shadow of the almighty Dyson Sphere as the billows of thick smoke rolled around them and their opponents, Daiki and Garvan watched in awful anxiety as the seconds dragged on with each slow heart throb, it began to clear and reveal the full extent of what had happened to Natsumi. Daiki felt numb, helpless as he prayed for her to somehow be alive. She had to still be alive. She couldn’t have been killed, not like this. But taking the direct attack of the death star’s laser cannon, there was no way she could have survived. Haunting premonitions of what might be about to be realised flew past his eyes in a blur as he thought of seeing her laying there, a cold dread crept over him that there might be nothing at all. It might have obliterated her entirely. No, that couldn’t be. It just couldn’t. [i]‘Natsumi...’[/i]

As the smoke finally cleared, a shallow growl rippled across the wastelands. There against the smoke, a dark shadow began to unfurl itself to reveal the bulk of a heavy dinosaur, standing over the girls figure, its red eyes flashing towards the horsemen. Volcasaurus growled at them again before it faded away into the ether. Where it had stood, Natsumi laid flattened, covered in burns and eyes closed.

“Natsumi!” Dropping down to his knees beside her, ignoring his own bloody flesh wound and his croaky voice, Daiki tried to shake her awake. A second passed, before with a cough and smoke filled splutter, Natsumi opened her eyes. The wave of relief that hit him as she looked blearily up at him was an amazing feeling, one that almost overwhelmed him. “Oh thank goodness, I thought... I... you...”

“I’m... alright. Please... don’t...” Natsumi coughed as she struggled to sit up. Dai tried to stop her and get her to lie down, but she refused bloody-mindedly, something that was strangely familiar to him. “No... Don’t you say a word... don’t tell me I can’t... I’m still fighting.”

“Yeah... I thought you might say that” Daiki mumbled as she pushed against him, her legs wobbling as she tried to stand before she fell again. “I won’t stop you. I’m just... glad you are still here to say it...”

“Save it alright.”

After her initial awakening she refused to look at him, or at the muted Garvan behind him, instead focusing her hateful glare at the horsemen. War and Famine’s expressions were masked for the most part, hiding any surprise on their part, although Famine’s mouth noticeably thinned and twisted at the edges. “So, you still refuse to die quietly. Why do you still insist on fighting hopelessly and prolonging your suffering? Now that we have the first of our Numbers out, you can’t possibly hope for anything else but a quick and painless delivering from your suffering. Why do you still cling to it?”

“Is this... where I’m supposed to give you the big heartfelt speech about the joys of life and stuff?” she grimaced. “Forget it, because what I’m fighting for is revenge for what you’ve done to me and others, and give you two nutcases the head smashing you deserve!”

“Charming” War shrugged. “Such a raged and vindictive spirit. One of many needing to be extinguished to ever find peace. But do not worry; Dyson Sphere will deliver you to it soon. I have no cards left to play, so I end my turn.”

“Peace? You want to talk about peace?” Garvan suddenly bellowed. It was his turn now, but his whole body was shaking as he rounded on the red horseman. “You, the embodiment of War and destroyer of life, want to talk about bringing people to peace?! What the hell are you on about?”

“Blinded fool” War retorted. “War is always followed by Peace. Peace is established by the rule of the victor over the conquered, and the dead are bought the ultimate peace to their souls, removed from the hell and suffering of battle forever. I am not just bringer of War, but ender of War. The ultimate being of War is also the ultimate bringer of peace, as I end all battles that mortals engage constantly in every day, and remove them from anger and turmoil and pain. Death is the ultimate peace.”

“You... you...” They watched Garvan struggle for another word for a moment, before giving up the attempt and drawing his card. “With this, you’re just going to be in nothing but little pieces! I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Spider"]Dark Spider[/url]!” A small green arachnid dropped onto the field in front of him (Lv1, ATK 0)

“Garvan’s still as bad at trash talk then” Natsumi grimaced as she sat up again. “What does he think to do with that though?” Indeed the horsemen looked similarly unimpressed as Garvan continued his play.

“Next I activate the equip magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagagarevenge"]Gagaga Revenge[/url]. I can use this to special summon Gagaga Magician from my cemetery. Then I use the effects of my two monsters to decrease my Magician’s level by one, and increase Dark Spider’s level by two. So now I can overlay my now level three monsters. Xyz summon!” The chain bound magician and small spider turned to sparks and spiralled together into the opening vortex, from which the great spherical, many horned seal rose from as once again the mark of the dragon appeared on Garvan’s hand.The snake like dragon broke from the seal, hissing and spitting as it did (Rk3, ATK 2300). “[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_17:_Leviathan_Dragon"]Number 17: Leviath Dragon[/url]!”

“Because a monster equipped with Gagaga Revenge was used as an overlay unit, my dragon gains three hundred attack points” Garvan continued. “Then Leviath Dragon’s effect activates! By detaching a unit, it gains a further five hundred!” Taking a wild snap at one of the orbiting comets, the dragon screeched again, its attack matched with the satellite exactly as Garvan became more and more frenzied (ATK 2800). “Now Leviath Dragon, your target is open! Attack Famine directly. Vice Stream!”

Ducking as the torrent of energy washed over him, Famine temporarily disappeared in the attack like Natsumi had. As the beam of energy ended, the trio blinked in disbelief as they saw he had incredibly remained standing, swaying albeit a little and clutching his side, but still on his feet and not as noticeably injured despite taking the same damage as she had (LP 1200). “Oh great, so the damage is rigged too?”

“Heh, not exactly” Famine chuckled hoarsely. “As I said before, we are not made from the same weak flesh and blood as you anymore. We no longer feel pain, only see it all around. Your dragon’s breath is nothing more than a light shower to me; although I thank you for it, because now I’ve taken damage I can special summon this monster from my hand. Descend evil spirit of nightmare, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Trageodia"]Trageodia[/url]!”

Garvan cursed his own stupidity as the great spider like demon appeared, bearing its sadistic fanged grin down on him (Lv10, ATK 600). [i]‘Damn it, should have expected that, although Gors would have been worse.’[/i] Looking at the last card in his hand, he grimaced. “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“Then it is my turn” Famine drew impassively, although as he tipped the card into vision, a glint appeared in the corner of his masks goggles. “From the cemetery, I activate the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_HERO_-_Malicious"]Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy[/url]. By banishing it from play, a second Diabolic is summoned from my deck.” The devil creature rose, sending shivers down the spines of those who still felt fear (Lv6, ATK 800). “Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Queen%27s_Light"]Galaxy Queen's Light[/url]. This targets a high level monster I control, and brings up the levels of my weaker monsters to match. So I overlay level ten Trageodia and Diabolic Guy, Xyz summon!” From the vortex above came harsh piercing winds, billowing all around them as the one eyed, battle ravaged black dragon descended in a maelstrom of chaos. “Hail judgement bringer, Number 75: Apocalypse Wyvern!”

“Crap, maybe Gors would have been better after all” Garvan muttered aloud. Natsumi and Daiki didn’t hear the odd remark, transfixed entirely by the immense attack points (Rk10, ATK 3500).

“Thirty five hundred...” Daiki stuttered, dreading realisation that he (LP 3200) and Natsumi (LP 1200) were both wide open to the inevitable attack, without even beginning to consider what powers a rank ten might possess.

“That’s right” Famine sniggered, as high above him the dragon took in a great breath, soulless black flame spurting through its jaws. “Don’t be scared now, your suffering is about to end. Apocalypse Wyvern, attack him directly!” With a harsh piercing screech, the wyvern released the stream of flame. His last act to push the screaming Natsumi out of the way, Daiki closed his eyes and waiting for the pain to come, and go forever.

“Trap activate!” Pulled sharply began into existence, he blinked as Garvan played the most surprising of cards. “[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Foolish_Revival"]Foolish Revival[/url]! This targets one monster in another cemetery, and special summons it to the field!” The flame was just metres from engulfing him before a gateway to the dead opened before him and a pterodactyl like creature swooped out (Lv4, DEF 1000), diving in front of him and squawking as it instead took the hit, certainly saving his life, and leaving him unhurt and simply astounded.

“Garvan... why?”

“Don’t get clingy on me Daiki” Garvan shrugged, refusing to look at him. “I’m adult enough to accept we stand a better chance of winning without you getting caramelised is all. Just don’t expect me to be able to do it every time you leave yourself open. Besides, what else am I supposed to use this card for?”

“Right, well, thanks” he muttered, turning back to the expressionless opponents. “Anyway, thanks to Garvan’s trap, the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Bird"]Speed Bird[/url] now activates. Because it was destroyed in battle, two level two monsters are summoned from my cemetery.” Evil Shinobi and Multiplying G appeared before him.

“Surprising” Famine said, veiling any frustration he might have felt. “You want to struggle on, go ahead and see what you can do with those two pathetic monsters. I end my turn with a face down.”

[i]‘Good question, what do I do?[/i]’ Daiki thought as he went for his next card. [i]‘They both have incredible monsters out, but they’ve both used up their entire hands to do so. Any field wiper would be critical now.’[/i] Had his deck provided? He tipped the card, and couldn’t quite believe his eyes as he saw the image of a little girl carrying a bell. [i]‘This... this is? You’re kidding me, I have to use... no...’[/i]

“Your expression suggests you did not draw well?” War chuckled. “Poor helpless little thing, your face reflects the fear and suffering in your heart that you and all humans cling so miserably to.”

As War’s mocking floated through him as he stared transfixed by the sight of the summoning girl, his fear was unquestionable. But his mocking turned the suffering to anger, and turned his resolve from shaky to stone. “You... think you know fear? Let me show you real fear. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Saambell_the_Summoner"]Summoner Sambel[/url]. Then I overlay my three level two monsters, Xyz summon!” The vortex swallowed the three monsters, Daiki gasped as the dark pulse reverberated through his core, something he’d hoped he’d never feel again. But for the sake of everyone, for Kaneko, he had to put his fears aside, and unleash them on the horseman as the dark blob seal sprouted claws and teeth and flaming eyes, trying to ignore the crippling pulse stabbing at his heart. “I summon... [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_96:_Dark_Mist"]Number 96: Black Mist[/url]!” (Rk2, ATK 100)

War and Famine looked at the evil Number for a moment, before War burst into laughter as Daiki buckled behind it, clutching his chest. “You weak pathetic person, look at you, you cannot even stand upright under the influence of that Number.”

“You won’t be standing when it’s finished” he growled back. “Black Mist, attack Dyson Sphere!”

“Daiki!” Natsumi and Garvan both shouted as the dark Numbers claws shot upwards towards the great satellite, whilst War just sneered at him. “Have you lost your mind in your suffering?”

“Not quite. When it attacks, Black Mist’s effect activates. By detaching an overlay unit, it absorbs half of the attack points for itself. Go Shadow Gain!” Struggling to stay upright from the hurricane of black tendrils he had unleashed, Daiki struggled for breath. But it was worth it as Black Mist absorbed the attack of Dyson Sphere (ATK 1400 / 1500). “Now put that machine on the scrap heap!”

“Dyson Sphere’s effect activates!” Daiki froze as War coolly, motionlessly interrupted. “Each time my war machine is attacked while it has overlay units, that attack is immediately negated.”

“What!?” He was joking right? Unfortunately not, as something reflected across the great wing panels and absorbed the tendrils, repelling Black Mist’s attack. This was disastrous. The thing could negate all attacks on it, no wonder he was comfortable to use all his resources on it. And according to Natsumi, he had just set him up for another effect. “Natsumi, you didn’t know this?”

“No” she replied, terror struck. “I’m sorry, I had no idea. We never got in a position to attack it.”

“Alright. It’s alright” he futilely tried to reassure them both, furious with himself for not noticing, through a combination of fatigue, lack of focus and too many knocks to the head, a card in hand that could have stopped that from happening had he known. “I set three cards. Turn end.”

“My turn” War drew. “Now thanks to you, I am able to use the effect of Dyson Sphere. By detaching an overlay unit, it can attack you directly this turn. So now you can feel the full fury of man’s undefeatable creation of death.” Once more the great laser cannon opened up and began to charge. Direct attack!”

“I activate the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Prison"]Dimensional Imprisonment[/url]” he countered desperately. “This banishes a...”

“My trap, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Decree"]Proclamation of the Royal Palace[/url]” Famine roared in reply. “This permanent trap negates the effects of all others on the field.”

Daiki gasped as Imprisonment opened and vanished without effect, leaving him unable to stop the laser fire shooting towards him. He heard a scream, a shout to move, then all was consumed by the crashing roar of the cannon fire engulfing him entirely. The pain was immense, all consuming, even if half of what Natsumi felt, this power surge was going to rip him in half. As it finally mercifully ended, he swayed, felt his mind and body relieved from all pain as he fell, and blacked out.

...06:36:22...

Wandering lost amongst the many twisting and turning passages of the castle, Clarissa continued to hurry along. There was no indication among the maze of identical corridors as to her position, how high or low or deep inside she was, or where any of the others were either. For all she knew she might have been dropped into an endless, exit-less maze, a daunting prospect she tried to dismiss as she continued to hurry along and cry out. “Kaneko? Kaneko! Where are you?”

“Jin? Daiki? Natsumi?” A voice behind her cried out for the others, as Sakura trailed after her, trying not to lose sight of her as she barrelled through the castle. When they had recovered from the fall they had found each other side by side, and although neither of them had been thrilled to be stuck with the other they had agreed at least to stick together, even if Clarissa insisted on running ahead and not waiting, until she came puffing and heaving to a corner and gave up to fatigue. “Clarissa... I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

“When I first heard about you, and when I came after you, I thought you were some kind of monster” Sakura answered, earning herself a filthy look. “But seeing you with your daughter, how passionately you kept pushing to find her and be with her, I can see now you are not what I imagined. I guess what happened to you would make anyone do something a bit crazy, but I know why now.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?” she snapped back. She was surprised that Sakura didn’t quail before her, not as much as she had done the last time they were alone together anyway. “Well... I guess we’ve both done some crazy stuff for the sake of people we care about. Just... um...”

“It’s okay, I shouldn’t have accused you of some of the stuff I did. I was angry and lost... and um, but I want to help you find Kaneko now. And the others. I hope they’re all safe somewhere. Um...”

There was a moment’s awkward silence leaving them both feeling rather weird.

“Erm... yeah, can we just carry on looking for them now?” Clarissa asked.

“Oh... yeah, I’ve said my piece.” Clarissa took point again and rushed off down another blind passage leaving Sakura trailing behind her, both women feeling slightly confused by their little heart to heart.

Elsewhere in a matching maze on the opposite side of the castle, Kaneko and Jin were quietly and cautiously picking their way along, trying to avoid any unwanted detection for the moment.

“This place is making my head spin” Kaneko pouted as they seemed to pass the same flaming torch for the fifth time. “I wish mommy and daddy were here. If that big meanie or his cronies dare to hurt them then I’ll...”

“They’ll be okay, try not to worry” Jin reassured her. Kaneko’s range of how she could go from a wise mature girl far beyond her years to a little fun loving kid to the scariest force was amazing and quite frightening to him. As they continued along, something he’d been meaning to ask continued to build up inside him, until eventually it spilled out.
“Kaneko, can I ask you something?”

“You just did” she grinned, amused further by his roll of the eyes. “Okay, you can ask.”

“Well, it’s a couple of things really” he admitted, feeling slightly small. “I just wanted to know why you did some of the stuff you did, like why did you release all the Numbers when you knew people were coming for them and you? Why did you... er, do what Murtagh said you did?” He felt tentative asking that one, feeling unable to say ‘jump off the top of RDL Tower?’ He had an inkling to both questions, but he needed to hear it from her, and there was one last question to which he had no idea. “And why... why did you choose me to get involved in all this? What marked me out for all this stuff?”

Kaneko blinked in surprise. “You... you wish I hadn’t asked you to be involved?”

“No no, not at all” he backtracked hastily, fearing waterworks might be coming. “I’m glad really, even if I am beat up. I just... I don’t understand... why me?”

“Hmmmm... okay, I’ll tell you” she replied in incredibly bouncy fashion. “See, me and sensei knew Murtagh and others were coming to try and get me, and we feared they would do something to force me out of the virtual world that I believed was my home, where I was powerful, and take me back to the other, your world, where I didn’t have powers. See I only spent a little time there before; I didn’t know much about it, and I thought it was just a parallel alternative to my world, sort of. So I had to stop that from happening, and prevent any chance of me just being taken away by Murtagh. The Numbers were scattered in the process, but it didn’t seem a bad thing, they wouldn’t all be safe with me.”

“Why though?” Jin asked. “Surely if you had them all, they wouldn’t have been able to do anything.”

Kaneko shook her head. “Keeping them all together in one place wouldn’t have been safe. If Murtagh had found a way to overcome me and sensei, which given all his support against just the two of us and no allies of our own was possible, he’d have had us all in one swoop. It was safer to break them up and scatter them. That way, other people would come into contact with them, and then they might help us. We were right, to a degree, but some people got...”

Jin watched her shudder as several terrible visions replayed before her. Probably best not to go there and make her relive what she’d seen again. “And er, about the third question?”

“Oh yeah that” Kaneko quickly chirped up again, smiling awkwardly and fidgeting with a guilty expression. “Jin, you know that millions of people used to come into my world right? So it must take something pretty special for any one of them to stand out occasionally you know?”

“I guess” he replied slowly. “So what made me stand out? I’m really nothing that special to be noticed, especially in terms of duelling. You could have picked someone a lot better than me.”

“No, I couldn’t have.” Kaneko suddenly blushed and shook her head as she realised what she’d said too late. “Well, what I mean is, you stood out to me partly because your duelling wasn’t so good.” This left Jin even more confused. “You kept coming here and duelling people, people who picked on you, and you kept losing and they kept making fun of you. And you always looked... kinda lonely. But you still kept coming back. You still kept trying to get better, trying to get stronger, and you kept coming here on your own to face those big bullies. I noticed you, and you reminded me of my loneliness a little bit.”

“But you had your mentors, and the Numbers, and Tiras and Adreus, and Galaxy Eyes” Jin mentioned.

“They’re all dear to me, but they’re not the same as knowing other people my age or otherwise. Sensei and others kept me sheltered, and also no-one was like me; I was really shy because of my powers. So I watched people duel from afar, and I kept seeing you. I wanted you to get stronger; I thought you could if you had a little help, because I could see your determination to make it, and your kindness. Besides, er... you do look kinda cute with that blue streak in your hair.”

Jin blushed furiously, ruffling his hair and prompting Kaneko to laugh and run off again without him. “Oh man, Clarissa already wants to kill me, now Dai will as well. Hey... hey wait up” he shouted as he realised she was going off without him. “I still don’t... man I don’t think I’m ever going to understand all this.”

Finally, in the darkest depths of the castle, the broken bits and pieces of various battle androids lay scattered across the grounds sparking and shattered all around the figure of God Murtagh. He stood motionlessly, eye twitching as a fresh wave of the bigger, faster designs of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Genex"]Genex[/url] army in the form of Axel and Locomotion, he assumed sucked into the abyss like the Mist Valley before them but saved by the horseman in exchange for his extermination, advanced towards him.

“I don’t have time for this. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Thunder_End_Dragon"]Thunder End Dragon[/url]. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gaia_Dragon2%C_the_Thunder_Charger"]Gaia Dragoon[/url]. Destroy!”

The two dragons made short work of the two robots, adding them to the scrapheap. As they fell, the Genex army’s broken remains were pulled away by some magnetic force, towards a clear swirling portal opening in the wall in front of him. Looking through it, the defeated Genex, failed in their mission, were taken into the giant swirl of death overhead, and vanished forever.

[i]‘Your master will be right behind you’[/i] Murtagh thought, before restarting the hunt.

Daiki hadn’t moved for a few minutes. Nothing had happened in his absence. Natsumi was just looking at him in a way that reflected his earlier concern for her, whilst Garvan was silently watching without comment. Across the field, the horsemen waited patiently for the inevitable they had assumed.

They weren’t wrong as with a heavy groan, Daiki sat up. The effort needed to force his broken frame upright was huge, having felt like he’d been crushed by the force of the Number’s cannon. His ribs definitely, already profusely bleeding, were bent and digging into organs now. Somewhere above him the hazy figure of Black Mist floated without acknowledging him. He wondered if its presence had protected him somehow, odd as the notion was given its nature and his history with it. With another splutter of blood he tried, and to Natsumi’s pain failed to stand (LP 1800).

“Alright, I admit, that hurt a lot” he spat out more blood towards the horseman. “Still here though.”

“For now” War replied stiffly. “But not for much longer. Soon you will hurt no more. I set a card and end my turn.”

“You don’t seem to get it do you?” It was impossible to tell, but War might have blinked as Daiki smiled savagely at him. “You think I’d still be sitting here if the hurt was as overwhelming as you’ve got in your head? Doesn’t it make you wonder why I’m still fighting against it?”

“I know what you’re going to say, but it is meaningless” War shouted back. “But you’re wrong. You think you’re fighting back because of some desire to live through pain and suffering in the empty hope that it will get better, that it will all be worth it somehow. That’s how you try to kid yourself as you struggle against crushing disappointment, unfulfilled ambitions, and constant despair. But you’re wrong!”

“So enlighten me” Daiki spluttered as Natsumi crouched beside him, still trying to stand herself. “So what’s the real reason I’m still fighting against you then?”

“Simple” Famine replied coldly. “It’s because you’re scared of Death.”

“Er, come again?” Garvan blinked. His ignorance amused the two horsemen.

“All of you mortals have an instilled fear driven into you about Death. It’s in most cultures all over the world in various forms and diversions. But one thing remains consistent, people fear Death. They fear the abyss as something terrifying, and they spend their lives fearing it and mourning the deaths of loved ones. But they do not need to. They are at peace from their suffering in life, as Death is the ultimate reliever of all worry and pain. Reliving all existence of its pain, we the horseman feared as the bringers of doom and despair but are truly bringers of a joyous relief; we are on a virtuous mission, bringing mercy to a sick and starving world that scrapes on its knees. All diseases cured, all wars ended, all the starving saved, and all the pain and suffering relieved forever. That is the true meaning of the final judgement that we are the heralds of.” There was stunned silence as Famine finished his speech, the only sounds the crackling of the fires in the distance and Daiki’s ragged breathing.

“Are, you, MENTAL?!”

Natsumi was on her feet, glaring with fire in her eyes at the two ‘peace bringers’ in front of her. “No sane person could say that! I don’t know what’s happened to you, and I don’t care anymore! You have no right to take away all those peoples lives, and then you dare have the gall to say it’s for their mercy?! Well let me tell you something, I have no fear of Death! I don’t fear either of you two! And I don’t fear anything in life! I will overcome everything, as will everyone else. I will keep going because it’s what I want to do, and so are all the people close to me who make my life worth living through your all consuming suffering. If that means I have to do the impossible and kill beings like you and even kill Death himself to do it, then that’s what I’ll do. Because I want my life back!”

“Yeah, good luck with that!” War scoffed.

“What does that mean?”

“Killing us. We have already been relieved” he explained as if to the most simple child. “You don’t just apply to become a horseman you know. We were on the verge of death, the last glimmers of our spirits flickering in the VDS, and we feared death too, once. But then he came to us and showed us not to be afraid, and made us into what you see so we could help everyone else not be afraid. We feel no more pain or fear like we did once, we already know the relief our rebirth has bought. And soon as the whole world is swallowed into the abyss, everyone will share in our relief and be free as we are.”

“Grr, you two are both psychos” Natsumi snarled, turning to her partners. “You two, you still with me on really getting rid of pain and suffering by sending these two packing into the abyss.” The two exchanged a terrified glance as she glared at them before complying. “Good, then it’s my turn!”

Garvan: LP 4000, Hand empty, Field of 17: Leviath Dragon
Daiki: LP 1800, Hand 1, Field of 96: Black Mist and two face downs
Natsumi: LP 1800, Hand 2, Field empty

War: LP 4000, Hand empty, Field of 9: Dyson Sphere and a face down
Famine: LP 1200, Hand empty, Field of 75: Apocalypse Wyvern and Proclamation of the Royal Palace

“I draw, and activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rekindling"]Pureflame_Eruption[/url]!” Natsumi smirked as she drew the powerful spell card. “This special summons as many fire attribute monsters from my cemetery that have exactly two hundred defence points as possible. Meaning I can go from no monsters to five!” Indeed, in a blaze of wild fire Twin Slayer, Burning Temptress, two Tenders of the Volcano and a milled [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Magma_Cannoneer"]Magma Artillery[/url] appeared (Lv4, ATK 1700). “Then I tune a Tender with Magma Artillery to Synchro summon. Appear in a blaze of fury, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lavalval_Dragon"]Lavalval Dragon[/url]!” The pitch black magma dragon screeched as it slithered overhead (Lv5, ATK 2000).

“Because Tender of the Volcano was sent to the cemetery, I can send another Laval in my deck to join it. The monster I chose is [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Lakeside_Lady"]Laval Lady of the Burning Lake[/url], which I now activate the effect of. By banishing it and Magma Artillery from play, I can destroy your set card!”

“Poor! I chain my set card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Forbidden_Garment"]Forbidden Garment[/url]!” War retorted. “This instant magic makes its target immune to destruction and from being targeted by other effects by lowering its attack for the rest of the turn. Naturally my target is Dyson Sphere!” The machine’s attack sank a little further (ATK 800).

[i]‘Damn, I would have finished them both had that worked’[/i] Natsumi thought. “Alright, then I’ll just have to set my dragon on yours instead. By returning two Lavals to my deck, your monster is sent packing!”

“You really expect that low level monster to take down the mighty Wyvern?” Famine grinned, a smile that sent chills through Natsumi’s burning heart. “The first of Number 75’s effects. While it has overlay units, it is immune to all the effects of monsters, magic and traps you use!” Something in the dragon’s red eye flashed, stunning the much smaller dragon and leaving her thwarted again.

“You’ll run out of defences eventually, but my offence will keep on coming. I overlay level five Twin Slayer and Dragon, Xyz summon!” The marks on her shoulder burned through the shoulder of her riding suit once more as the dripping lava egg rose, cracking to release the destructive juggernaut within with a mighty roar. “[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_61:_Volcasaurus"]Number 61: Volcasaurus[/url]!” (Rk5, ATK 2500).

“Next, the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Cyclone"]Space Cyclone[/url]. This detaches an overlay unit from an Xyz monster without targeting it.” Seeing Natsumi grinning maliciously at him, War stepped back and looked up to see the last comet orbiting the mighty frame of Dyson Sphere obliterated. “I’ve got you this time. Because your monsters effect only applies when it has overlay units. Go Volcasaurus, attack Dyson Sphere!” The great dinosaur roared before unleashing a savage torrent of lava, rapidly powering across the infinite distance up to the satellite far away. Finally it looked like it was about to reach, things were exploding in the heart of the spheres core and Natsumi’s heart swelled. Finally, finally she’d beaten it.

The explosions slowly ceased, and a cruel, deep sinking horror started to creep over her and into her heart as she looked up, up at the sphere that still refused to go away, two new comets orbiting its heart, and the slow heavy laughter started up again. “No way!? What happened this time?”

“Poor Natsumi, so close” War mocked, completely unharmed by the attack. “The last of Dyson Sphere’s effects. When it is targeted for an attack while it has no overlay units, I can target two monsters in my graveyard and reattach them. Thus it can negate your attack again. Face it, you’ve failed. You cannot beat either of our mighty Numbers.”

“This is... this is getting ridiculous” Natsumi gasped, sinking to her knees. [i]‘He’s right. I’ve thrown everything at them but I can’t beat them.’[/i]

“Natsumi!”

Dragged out of her thoughts, Natsumi turned to see Daiki manage to force himself onto his feet. “Don’t give up. If you stop fighting, then us two helpless buggers might as well pack it in as well. You’ve dragged us this far, too far to give up, let’s keep going at them together okay.” Behind him Garvan looked less than thrilled with the corny speech, but gave his silent nod of support nonetheless.

[i]‘He’s right. Damn it, I hate it when he’s right.’[/i] “Yeah, I can’t give up now. Not if it means placing everyone’s lives in the hands of you two.” Daiki smiled at her remark, which made her blush slightly. “Okay Snore and Gamin, this duel is getting really exciting now we all have aces out. I activate the magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Treasure"]Xyz Treasure[/url], allowing me to draw a card for every two Xyz monsters on the field.” She felt confident as she snatched the two cards, but as she looked at them, her confidence plummeted. [i]‘Two traps! Crap!’[/i]

“You can feel as ‘excited’ about this little game as you want” Famine grumbled. “You won’t for much longer when my turn starts.”

“Alright, alright, I set two cards and end my turn.” As her turn passed, the two remaining fire maidens summoned by Pureflame Eruption disappeared, as Famine took his card.

“I activate the effect of Apocalypse Wyvern” he said, his command heralding flashes of thunder and lightning as the horrific dragon overhead screamed and took a wild snap at its orbiting unit. “Now by doing this, my end bringing creature can attack every monster on the field once time each, in one great stream of devastation.” Everyone gasped, not least of all Daiki. Garvan and Natsumi would just about survive, life point wise anyway, but his wouldn’t unless Black Mist’s effect could save him. “And remember, no effects can touch my Wyvern. Your miserable existence ends here. Destroy them all!”

The battered dragon released a stream of black flame, sweeping across the field in one continuous powerful breath. Leviath Dragon screeched as it burned to death, Garvan grunted and buckled behind it as he tried futilely to shield himself (LP 3300). Volcasaurus bellowed, writhing in pain before it exploded, the force of the blast sending Natsumi first to her knees, then lay flat out of fight (LP 200). Finally turning on Black Mist, its effect irrelevant, its tar like body breaking apart and dissolving in the flame that was engulfing Daiki. This was the end unless...

“Face down, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Forbidden_Chalice"]Forbidden Chalice[/url].” A late addition to his deck since the emergence of the Numbers that had so far evaded him, now it was just and only just going to keep him in this. “This negates a monsters effect, but raises its attack by four hundred points.” Black Mist gained the boost just in time (ATK 1900), before it too perished in the flame and Daiki collapsed face down in the dirt, writhing and struggling to breathe (LP 200).

As the dragon receded its attack, Garvan emerged from his defensive stance, battered and burned, to find both his partners face down. Natsumi was coughing up blood and was blearily slipping in and out of consciousness, whilst Daiki was clearly clinging onto life by the fingertips now. Across the field, the menacing Numbers loomed high over their deranged saviours. Famine looked most unimpressed.

“I end my turn with a face down. Still you cling to your miserable lives like it’s something precious to hold onto when it would be easier, no, wiser to allow your suffering to end. You can’t stop it, there’s nothing you can do, and death is inevitable for all anyway. You can drag it out and try to postpone it all you want, but eventually everything must end. Everything has its time. Yours has arrived, and the world will rapidly follow you into the liberation of the end.” Garvan started to panic as his D-Disk indicated his freedom to draw. He had no cards left except this one, what reversal was possible? His life, it couldn’t be about to end like this. But there was nothing he could do to stop either monster doing it. And it was...

“Gar...van...” Daiki croaked.

“Dai.” His voice struggled to respond. “What do I do? I can’t beat either of them, or save any of us. I didn’t want for any of this to happen. I didn’t want for this sort of madness. Now if we lose, and so do the others, everything is doomed, and...” His voice trailed off. “And a part of it is my fault.”

“Garvan?” Dai blinked as the foggy blur of Garvan’s outline stood there head bowed and sullen. “What do you mean your fault? This isn’t your fault?”

“Yes it is. I’m in league with Murtagh after all. I helped him with his ambitions for this new world because, well what does it matter now? But I did, and all the time we just played into these guys hands. Instead of a new world of Murtagh’s rule, we’ve bought everyone here. It’s my fault.”

“It’s okay Garvan.” He couldn’t believe what he’d heard at first, but Daiki was still fighting to stay awake, and trying to reach out for him. “You’re right, what you did and why you did it doesn’t matter right now. What matters is we keep fighting, and we need you now to do something.”

“But... what can I do? I can’t beat either of those monsters.”

“You don’t need to” Daiki explained. Garvan looked at him for his meaning, but he could only manage to smile cryptically at him. “We need... we need you to clear their defences. We can’t find back as long as we’re locked down like this.”

“Defences?” Garvan asked, studying the field. “You mean Famine’s Royal Palace card?”

“Yes. With Royal Palace on the field, we’re stuck. We need you to clear the field of back row cards. You can do it Garvan... you’re our last... hope.” Daiki’s eyes closed, but Garvan was sure he had winked first, before whatever energy he was going on ran out and he collapsed.

[i]‘Last hope. Oh great, thanks for not putting the pressure on or any... wait a minute. Hope?’[/i] Stunning himself as he repeated the words in his head, Garvan drew his card without thinking. He knew what he needed, Cyclone. And for a horrible moment as he tipped the card, he thought he’d actually got it.

[i]‘Yea...no wait, this card!? Ah crap! This doesn’t help. I need to get rid of Royal Palace to free up whatever defence Daiki has lined up, not destroy it as well. I’ve failed.’[/i] The two horseman watched him sweat in silence, their gaze drilling into him. There was nothing he could do at all. Helplessly he set the card down and waited for the inevitable end. “I... I end my turn.”

“And your last ever” War smirked, going for his deck and taking a moment to gloat. “What a waste. Not even able to play a single card. No attempt at a fight at all. Or maybe you’ve accepted the unstoppable and saved yourself the pain. Well don’t worry, it will be over soon.” Laughing, War drew his card.

The pause made him stiff with sweat as War looked at the card, the gears in his warped mind could almost be heard as he sought a winning formula from it. There was a grumble, before he made his play. “Well, maybe not. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Block_Golem"]Block Golem[/url].” A small square creature made of building bricks appeared briefly, before it quickly vanished. “By releasing Block Golem, I can special summon two level four or lower rock monsters in my cemetery with their effects negated. The only applicable targets are Gem Armadillo and Turtle, which I will overlay. Xyz summon!” Garvan’s heart stopped as the two monsters disappeared, if the summoned monster had nineteen hundred or more attack, he was dead without question. To his amazement and relief, the monster was [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Daigusta_Emeral"]Daigusta Emerald[/url]; just short (Rk4, ATK 1800).

“Annoyingly, I never thought I’d ever need two copies of Pearl” War said, clarifying his reprieve. “Now since you’re the only one left standing who hasn’t taken the attack of Dyson Sphere yet, now it’s your turn. Time for you to feel the pain of the Numbers like you once inflicted on me. My monsters attack you directly.” This time it was Garvan’s turn to feel the agony of the war machines laser cannon, with the added hit from Emerald on his broken form rubbed in just for good measure (LP 100). Satisfied the match was over as his nemesis fell backwards, War felt a strange compulsion. Something he felt he’d forgotten about for some time. Raising his arms and jutting his head back, he struck his victory pose and looked down at the fallen Garvan.

[i]‘This is... what it feels like to be dying? This is... it’s every bit as awful as I imagined. He was right when he said people fear death, but then I already knew that.[/i]’ His vision was going dark as he rolled his head and saw the others. [i]‘Sorry guys. I let you down. You placed your hope in me despite everything, and I...’[/i] His vision swam back into focus, settling on Daiki’s set card for a moment. [i]‘Hey... wait a minute...’[/i]

“Ugh! I activate...”

War jumped out of his victory pose as the guy he was sure he had just killed off spoke. Beside him Famine, who had become distracted by berating his obnoxious partner, switched his gaze and became equally stunned as Garvan struggled to sit up, shakily reaching for the blade of his D-Disk. “I activate... [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Double_Cyclone"]Dual Cyclone[/url]. This destroys one magic or trap card you control, and one we control.” Famine’s trap card was blown away by the tornado that struck it, as was Daiki’s face down as it revealed itself.

“Bah, so what?” War snorted. “You’ve destroyed his card, but at the expense of your partner’s own defences.” However to his shock, Garvan began to snigger, and slowly shook his head.

“Sorry champ, but Dai never asked me to get rid of your trap. He asked me to clear the back row entirely” he grinned. “Actually, destroying his face down was the best thing I could have done for him.” Still he continued to snigger, even louder, but they soon realised that Daiki had now returned to them, as had Natsumi as well, and they were joining in on the elusive joke.

“Say what!?” War started. “What’s going on?”

“Thanks Garvan” Daiki chuckled. “For the setup and for the bluff. You could have saved yourself some pain if you hadn’t, but now we stand a chance.” Pushing himself off the ground, he turned to the two mystified horseman. “Oh yeah, here’s the thing. Garvan didn’t destroy a trap card. Or even a magic for that matter. What he actually destroyed was a monster that I was waiting for someone to set off.”

“A what?” Famine repeated. “You set a monster in your back row? How is that possible?”

“Because that monster is a master of concealment, known as the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Sentinel"]Silver Sniper[/url]” Daiki explained. “See I can set him undercover as a spell card, but the fun really starts when he’s destroyed. Because during the end phase of this turn he’ll be coming back to the field, and he’ll have a little surprise for Dyson Sphere.” Winking, Daiki mimicked a gunshot action with his hand. “Enjoy your big night light while he’s still up there, he’s not going to be for much longer.”

As the explanation of the trap went in War’s gauntlets clenched, so tightly that anything he’d have been holding would have been instantly crushed. “We’ll see. I activate the effect of Emerald. By detaching an overlay unit and returning three monsters to my deck, I can draw one card.” Now the tension was hanging over both sides as they waited for him to draw, before the all too familiar war laughter broke out for another encore and wiped the smiles of their faces.

“I activate the equip magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Metalsilver_Armor"]Metalsilver Armour[/url]. By equipping this card to Emerald, it forces it to be the target of all card effects. So now I’ll end my turn.” Daiki swore at the smug knight as his fur clad gunman rose from his cover, taking aim with his silver rifle and firing at the giant satellite, only for Emerald to intercept with a despairing dive. “Ahahaha, I commend your cunning. But all for naught again.”

“Damn it” Garvan swore. “Sorry Dai. I shouldn’t have hesitated.”

“It’s alright, if you hadn’t Sniper would have got wasted by Emerald anyway” Daiki replied. But thanks to the way things had gone and with his turn coming up with Silver Sniper in play, they had a chance, as long as he could draw something good. To take down these two it had to be something spectacularly good. Hand on deck and hoping and praying for all he was worth he thought about what he needed. [i]‘Not what I need, what Natsumi needs from me. What Clarissa and Kaneko need from me. What Jin and Sakura need, and all the people I know and care about back home. Even Garvan needs from me. All their futures, all their hopes are on this card. I can’t let them down.’[/i] “Alright I draw!” His arm swooped through the air, glinting in the fire light to reveal a magic card, one that made him smile. [i]‘Oh yes!’[/i]

“I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Warrior_Lady_of_the_Wasteland"]Warrior Lady of the Wasteland[/url], and overlay her with Silver Sniper. Xyz summon!” The fair haired swordswoman stood briefly beside the gunman, before sinking into the vortex and the great white and gold seal emerged. With it a new wave of strength pulsed through him, giving him power to stand tall again as Garvan and Natsumi looked to him, its power radiated through the runes on his arm as the winged swordsman unfurled himself. “[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_39:_Utopia"]Number 39: Aspiring Emperor Hope[/url]!” (Rk4, ATK 2500)

“Not good enough!” War barked, Famine grimacing behind him. “You impudent fool! Why won’t you just go and stay down quietly?”

“In your state of mind, I don’t think you’d understand. Although maybe this will help you. I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Armored_Xyz"]Armoured Xyz[/url] magic card. This targets a Xyz monster in the cemetery, and melds it with another one on the field. Natsumi” he had to shout over the wind that started fiercely billowing around the emperor as the card took effect. “You mind if I borrow Volca?”

“With pleasure” she grinned. Awestruck in wonder she and the others watched as the flaming colossus was pulled up out of the grave, then into the swordsman as their powers joined. Gold armour turned to spiked stone mail of red. The helmet curved into a savage shape akin to the monster. The wings set ablaze, and so too did the elongated sword that had turned into a full two handed claymore. The two horseman stared up in wonder at the sight of this... this... Hope Volcanic (Rk5, ATK 2500).

“Now it has been equipped with Volcasurus, Hope gains its attack and defence, and more importantly it’s effect!” Daiki roared. “Meaning that by detaching an overlay unit, it can destroy one monster on the field, and inflict damage to its owner equal to its original attack strength.” Hoisting the flaming claymore sword overhead, Hope Volcanic took off towards space. “Let’s see you get out of it this time! Go, use our combined wills and destroy Dyson Sphere! Ultimate Magma Max!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!” The despairing roar of the red horseman was drowned out by the deafening explosions far above, as Hope Volcanic swung and released a wave of intense golden flame that ripped straight through the machines core. Slowly the lights of the satellite went out one by one, great chunks of metal began to fall away, and the whole giant construct began to fall through the air, passing into the ether. War coughed and spluttered below it as the flaming debris landed all around him, sinking to one knee (LP 1200). “It’s not over! Your Hope gets the drawbacks of Volcasaurus too. It can’t attack directly after using its effect, and you can’t use it to defeat Apocalypse Wyvern either! It’s futile!”

He clung to that thought for just a second, until the smoke cleared for him to see the flame warrior once again, and the display of its attack points that Famine was already looking at in disbelief (ATK 4300). “What? But how did it gain all of those attack points?”

“Now look who needs putting out of their misery” Natsumi mocked, as she forced herself up. “When our monster activated its effect, I chained my trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Brutal_Potion"]Sadistic Potion[/url] to it. This trap equips to a monster. Then when a player takes effect damage; that monster gains one thousand attack points for the turn!”

“I too am responsible and united in this creature” Garvan added grimly. “I activate an effect from my cemetery; the effect of the card I discarded on the very first turn of this duel. By banishing the trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Skill_Successor"]Skill Successor[/url] from play during our turn, our monster can gain a further eight hundred attack points!” Shrugging at the stuttering War, Garvan managed to stand beside the two others, their powers truly combined into one mighty being.

“Guys, thanks, really” Daiki said solemnly. “Especially you Nat. I’m sorry I doubted you. And for everything else I’ve put you through.”

“It’s alright Daiki” she smiled. He smiled back, before she took control. “Now let’s end this! Hope Volcanic, attack Apocalypse Wyvern! Burning Hope Sword Slash!” Spinning the giant sword overhead, the swordsman charged into the outmatched dragon, driving the flaming blade right through its heart. The dragon screeched and writhed horribly, before it exploded in a blast of pure dark energy. Famine was knocked off his feet by the blast, landing in a heap on his back (LP 400).

“Now the final effect of Armoured Xyz activates” Garvan declared. “By sending the equipped monster to the cemetery, Hope returns to normal. Then it can initiate its own attack!” The two monsters split; Volca disappeared, leaving regular Hope free to attack once more. War was frozen in place, terrified of what was coming, as Garvan closed his eyes. “I’ve already beaten you once. Dai, you do the honours.”

“With pleasure. Hope, bring an end to this war. Hope Sword Slash!”

Scythed by the lunging slash, War was thrown through the air. His red stone armour shattered from the impact, crumbling into broken fragments as he flew screaming across the wasteland, before coming to a heavy landing a distance away (LP 0). Agonizingly the hand and head came shakily up; parts of the helmet had also shattered to reveal something just out of sight as he tried to get up. “I... lost again?”

The hand fell, the giant frame collapsed back, and all was still. The Tsar of Stone, The Master Melder, and the red horseman Vladimir Kanchev, would never move again.

“One down” Garvan remarked carelessly, focusing on the remaining horseman who was struggling to get up. He had a point if no sympathy, and the three had to recompose themselves after their first victory as Famine managed with a great effort and pained expression, the mask and hat gone to leave his face exposed. He actually still looked quite human, just the skin was sickeningly white along with the wild grey mane, and his eyes were pitch black, for all the pain they showed he was in. Famine grimaced, and waved them off and begged them to wait. “Oh yeah, you quit now you lost your big dragon?”

“You are... correct I guess” Famine gasped, struggling for breath. “I... don’t want to fight anymore.”

“Oh really!?” Natsumi snapped. “You were pretty keen a minute ago when it was our lives on the line, but now you’ve seen your partner you’re going to run! You think I’ll let you after what you’ve done?”

“I’d... understand if you didn’t let me go” he replied solemnly. His entire body language put them all off guard; his voice had changed along with his mindset, as if he had lost something. “I have to apologise, especially to you Hotaru-chan. I have done things to you... and the others... on orders I should have been strong enough to refuse. I have only realised it now, but when I became a horseman, it was the second time I sold my soul to a devil. First to Real Duel, when I was involved in framing you for getting to close to Project Eve, and kept my mouth shut, now to this madness I can open my eyes too now...”

“Famine... what are you talking about?” Daiki asked, having to calm the speechlessly furious Natsumi. “Please, tell us what happened to you. What’s going on here?”

Famine nodded, expression gloomy. “When Clarissa’s forces seized Real Duel, I became one of her army like the others, but escaped through the aid of an unknown identity. However Clarissa caught me, and as I was being forced back into the system, I was fatally shot by one of her men. Dying with my mind in cyber space, my fading consciousness scattering across the virtual world, the pieces were gathered and restored by this saviour once again, in exchange for joining his quest to save humanity. Scared of death and my soul filled with vengeance over it, I accepted, thus I was reborn a horseman, but I was restored as my master saw fit for his ends. Vladimir joined us in similar circumstances. If... we had known what he meant when he told us of our quest to save the world, by ending it entirely... I can only apologise.”

The ill looking horseman looked away from them, unable to forgive himself. Deep dents in his armour were punctuating his flesh, causing him difficulty breathing. “Unmai...” Natsumi gulped.

“It’s alright” he said. “I don’t care what happens to me now. All my life I’ve followed orders, no matter the consequence they bought to others, as men of power made it clear I would suffer if I didn’t, but would be comfortable if I did as I was told. I did what was easy, and watched in silence as innocent people like you suffered at the hands of Shinawatra, and now that fiend Death. I deserve the worse.”

“Unmai, stop beating yourself up.” The three boys were stunned that this was coming from Natsumi; usually so unforgiving. “You can change all that and help us. It’s not too late to undo all this and save the world with us. Please tell us, how do we stop this? Where can we find the big boss?”

Unmai looked shell-shocked by her offer, that she would ask his help or offer her forgiveness. “You’re right. I must atone for my mistake, and face him with you. It is not too late to do something. If...”

[spoiler=...]Famine froze mid-sentence, struck mute by some invisible force. He stood there for a second, body held in place, but his eyes had snapped wide open in a look of pure terror matched only by the entranced trio. To their horror, his body was slowly engulfed in an aura of purple flame, and it didn’t take much guessing to know what was happening. Able to move again Unmai clutched his head and staggered wildly; fighting some demon they couldn’t see and silently screaming for help. The fight was brutally one sided, and when he became still again, he looked up with an expression filled with hate.

[i]“That is quite enough of that.”[/i] Unmai’s voice had been replaced by another speaker, a dark and distorted baritone that send deep ripples of fear through them as they scrambled to battle stations. Forced by his masters will, the body took its card. [i]“This duel continues. Trap card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destruction_of_Destiny"]Destroy Destiny[/url]. This sends the top three cards of the deck to the grave, and I receive fatal damage if a magic or trap is sent.”[/i]

“You coward Death!” Daiki found himself shouting as the trap activated. “Trying to make Unmai kill himself before he can talk!” The possessor, as it surely was the pale armoured knight Death, laughed through Unmai, that sinister laughter they had heard when they entered the castle, before taking the three cards. All of them were tense as one by one the boss Dogma Guy, a spindly creature Daiki didn’t recognise, and a purple rock thing disappeared into the cemetery.

[i]“You’re half right at least. I did not expect Famine to turn against us, not after his audition to become a horseman. It is regrettable he should leave our noble quest like this, but I can still get some use out of him by taking down you three pests. Magic card, ‘Beginning of the End’. There are ten dark monsters in my cemetery now, and by banishing five of them, I can draw three new cards.”[/i] The ghostly images of the vigilantes Bloo-D, Dogma, the second Diabolic, and a ‘Diehard’ and ‘Diamond’ Guy presumably discarded by Hand Obliteration faded as Unmai drew three new cards. A broad sneer came over him as he did. [i]“Perfect. Because I still have five dark monsters in the cemetery, I can summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dark_Creator"]The Dark Creator[/url].”[/i]

Garvan swore as a gigantic demi-god in black armour rose from the dark abyss, stretching its wings and surveying the field (Lv8, ATK 2300). The deity was absolutely the worst thing to run into now, and it was rapidly going to get worse. [i]“This is only the beginning. Dark Creator’s effect. By banishing Trageodia, Torch Golem is reborn to my field. Then I activate the fusion magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Calling"]Dark Calling[/url]. By banishing [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Evil_HERO_Infernal_Prodigy"]Hell Brat[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dark_-_Hex-Sealed_Fusion"]Fusion Seal Magic - Darkness[/url], I can fusion summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Evil_HERO_Dark_Gaia"]Evil Hero Dark Gaia[/url]!”[/i] More monsters plunged rapidly into the void, and in their stead emerged the steel golem, blades spinning, and a winged demon clad in stone (Lv8, ATK 1300). The sudden arsenal made Daiki sweat. Their three attacks unhindered would destroy them all. Hope still had a unit to protect one of them, but only one, and goodness knows what Natsumi’s remaining face down was. Given the suspicious frown on Unmai or Death’s face, he was thinking the same thing. [i]“The final judgement will go through without interference. Instead, with this, you will be sent into the abyss by the ultimate power. I overlay three level eight monsters. Xyz summon!”[/i]

This time he swore, completely not realising the three monsters had identical levels as they turned to sparks and vanished. He and the others shuddered as for the third time, the starry vortex opened, clearing the path for a Number. “What the hell?” Natsumi shouted. “Where is this coming from?”

[i]“This... is my Number” [/i]Death sneered.[i] “Now you will kneel before it, as it sends you into complete oblivion. Show yourself divine king of judgement, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_88:_Gimmick_Puppet_-_Destiny_Leo"]Number 88: Gimmick Puppet Destiny Leo[/url]!”[/i]

The vortex exploded with power, before the top of a giant golden crest began to emerge. The crest appeared at the top of a throne, shuddering as it rose from the chasm, before the creature sat in it began to emerge, a steely lion with a golden mane and covered in majestic royal plate with a white toga and cloak, the number 88 emblazed on the right shoulder. The beast sat regally, its claws resting on the hilt of a mighty silver sword. The vortex closed as the king fully emerged, coming to rest silently, casting its eye down over its domain and the three people far below it (Rk8, ATK 3200).

...06:52:01...

At the exact moment Destiny Leo appeared on the other side of the void, the weakened gap between the worlds tore completely. Those who could still see the fragmented sky frayed by the rips watched as the seams burst, and like one cracked piece of glass the whole sky shattered and gave way to a starless grey sky filled with chaotic lightning and floating rocks. People screamed, screamed for all their lungs were worth, but none were heard for the almighty noise coming from above them. It was why they were screaming, as there far up there on the edge of the atmosphere was a large white swirl of energy that consumed the entire sky. The swirl of the abyss that wrapped itself around the world entirely.

Deep in the Amazon, one young trooper pointed up at the swirl as their units retreating vehicle came into a clearing, babbling incoherently in panic. His allies ignored him. He was not a soldier, he was a farm boy forced to take arms. He’d never held a gun in his life, now he was forced to fight these... these creatures chasing them through the jungle, thus had been babbling incoherently for the last four hours. Instead they and the other units stopped and readied themselves as the ground began to shake. Their pursuers quickly caught up, the two great [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Naturia_Beast"]lions[/url] of the jungle snarling and leaping for them as they opened fire, before the almighty [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Naturia_Landoise"]tortoise[/url], the reason for the shaking, crashed through the trees.

The poor young farm boy watched in terror at the fight around him, as friend and foe alike started to vanish. It happened swiftly; either a human or a beast would stop one by one, overcome with the terror he felt, before their bodies slowly started to lose form and turned to little stars, floating upwards to the heavens. His hands shook; he dropped the gun, and gasped as he saw his hands vanish before his eyes.

On the other side of the world, in the destroyed city of Kuala Lumpar, men were fighting the dragons that had ravaged their mighty towers in the streets. The two dragons, covered in [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragunity_Knight_-_Gae_Bulg"]silver[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragunity_Knight_-_Barcha"]emerald[/url] plate, roared as they were riddled with bullets, their bodies slowly turning to glowing stars. The men cheered, suddenly they were winning, until cheers turned to shrieks as they saw the same happening to each other as they began to rise off the ground. High above them the top of the ruined tower was breaking off, piece by piece, ascending with them into the swirl.

Into oblivion.

Unaware of all this, Garvan Natsumi and Daiki kneeled alright. They had to, the wave of pressure that hit them as the throne crashed to rest on the earth was incredible. The mere presence of the king put a huge weight on each of them, the pain was almost blinding. “What is that?” Natsumi shouted.

“Another Gimmick Puppet Number?” Daiki gasped. “Ugh, if I never see another doll it will be too soon.”

Death only answered with a victory laugh before proceeding with his turn. [i]“Behold the ultimate force of complete obliteration. Destiny Leo’s effect activates. Once per turn, by detaching an overlay unit, one destiny counter is placed upon it.”[/i] Dread filled them all as they watched one of the comets orbiting the lion king plunge into the hilt of the sword, waiting for the onslaught. The king’s gauntlets shifted slightly, but little more. [i]“I place one card face down, and end my turn.”[/i]

“Er, wut?” Garvan, who had been bought to his knees at this point, blinked as their opponents turn ended seemingly in the most anticlimactic way possible. “Am I missing something, or did nothing happen?”

“No, something must have happened” Natsumi grumbled, struggling to stand. “What are you planning Death? What is the point in this destruction?”

[i]“I’ve said my piece, as have my brothers[/i]” Death smirked.[i] “You don’t need to worry, it will be over soon.”[/i]

“Grr, not if I have anything to do with it.” As she drew, she knew he must be planning something. A way to dispense of them, with minimal risk given his low life points and remaining cards, and it involved this monster and its effect. She had to get rid of it. But thanks to Garvan she had the exact card she needed.

“I activate my trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Reborn"]Xyz Reborn[/url]. This special summons an Xyz monster from my cemetery. Rise again Volcasaurus!” Her ace rose again from the fiery pit, an insect compared to the size of Destiny Leo. “Then Xyz Reborn becomes an overlay unit for my monster, so now I can use its effect to destroy Destiny Leo and inflict fatal damage.” This would work, it had to. “This will finish it! Mag-max!”

“Face down instant magic, Forbidden Garment” Death responded. “As we already know, this prevents a monster from being destroyed by effects this turn by lowering its attack.”

“I expected as much” Natsumi grimaced, as even with the card Destiny Leo remained marginally out of reach of Volcasaurus’ attack (ATK 2600). That just left the card she had drawn. Beside her she could see Daiki and Garvan struggling to stay awake. She was struggling too. She had to end this, and end it now. “One face down. Turn end.” Across the field Death drew his card silently. No sooner had he done so, than she sprung.

“I activate my final card” she cried, revealing the explosive face down. Daiki and Garvan immediately recognised it, her last resort. Daiki began to protest desperately for her not to do it, but she ignored him. “I will stop you at any cost! I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dustflame_Blast"]Blazing Dust Explosion[/url]! By banishing all the remaining Laval in my cemetery, an equal amount of cards are destroyed! My targets are Destiny Leo, and my own Volcasaurus!” Natsumi sprang forward, driven by her spirit and those of Dragon and Twin Slayer behind her, lighting up her whole body with a fiery aura of its own. “This time I’ve got you! This time you will pay for turning those guys into twisted madmen like you!” The trap exploded, Daiki and Garvan shielded themselves as it sent a scattershot of blazing debris everywhere. Unmai though was unmoved.

“Foolish little girl, so reckless. I activate the final effect of Apocalypse Wyvern.” Natsumi baulked as the spectre of the dead dragon appeared before Destiny Leo. “By banishing it from play, it can pass on its effect for this turn to another monster, making it immune to your little outburst.”

“What?!” Natsumi fell to her knees as the ghost took the hit instead, leaving the steel lion intact. Beside her Volcasaurus screamed in despair, sinking into the flaming abyss once again. Her last attempt had failed. The light inside her went out, the aura surrounding her disappeared, as Unmai looked at his card.

[i]“I am tired of your constant defiance. Magic card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Misfortune"]Misfortune[/url]. This inflicts damage to an opponent equal to half the attack of a monster they control. Your pitiful hope will be crushed and turned against you now, but do not worry, all the despair will soon be stripped from you by the abyss. Goodbye girl.”[/i]

All three turned stiff as the card went off like a gunshot. Time stood still, the only sound any of them could hear was ringing, and feel their own pounding heartbeats. Daiki tried to move, but his body failed him. He and Garvan couldn’t move, only watch as Natsumi knelt there beside them. Slowly, a dark red stain was spreading across her chest and down her front. Natsumi choked slightly, closed her eyes, before slowly sinking to one side and collapsing on her back, completely still (LP 0).

“Natsumi!” Finally his body responded. Dropping beside her, shouting desperately, Natsumi failed to respond to anything he tried. His body felt numb, all his insides had tightly clenched as he held her against his body, begging her to wake up. “Please Nat. Please wake up.” Still she wouldn’t respond to him. He could feel Unmai’s dead eyes staring through him, and as he did his despair turned to anger. “You! How could you?!”

[i]“Very easily”[/i] Death responded, infuriating him further. “[i]Your reaction is an example of the suffering I am trying to save you and humanity from. The grieving of those who are lost, the fury, the loss and the hurt, she is free from it all now. Soon you will join her in eternal rest.”[/i]

“You’re a warped bastard” Garvan scowled. He still couldn’t find the strength to stand, only glare hatefully at him from his keeled position. “I’ve done some questionable stuff, but you thinking this mass genocide is for everyone’s good then you’re truly missing a few cards from your deck.”

[i]“I will take that as an insult”[/i] Death muttered darkly.[i] “I cannot attack during the turn I use Misfortune, but given Destiny Leo I have no intention of doing so anyway. I will instead activate his effect again, to place upon it the second destiny counter.” [/i]The lion king definitely took a more firm grip on the sword this time as the second comet disappeared into the hilt.[i] “Just one more. One more, and all your suffering will be gone forever.”[/i]

“What does that mean?” Garvan demanded, Daiki being in no position to say anything whilst he helplessly cradled Natsumi. “What is all this destiny counter stuff doing?”

[i]“I guess telling you makes no difference now” [/i]Unmai’s body shrugged.[i] “I cannot attack when I activate Destiny Leo’s effect, or control any spell or trap cards to do so. But you see they are a small sacrifice for such unstoppable power, for when my monster gains its third and final destiny counter, this duel will immediately end, and all of your souls with it.”[/i]

“An alternative win condition?” Garvan muttered. [i]‘Damn, that means if I don’t get rid of it this turn, then we’re all stuffed.’[/i] Taking his last card and breathing slowly, he tried to stay calm. [i]‘Well, no point thinking or regretting anything now. This is only for my life, and the fate of the world. Here goes nothing.’[/i]

Drawing the card, Garvan stared at the card what felt like a long time. Daiki knelt there staring at him, still clinging to Natsumi. Death waited patiently, daring Garvan to do something. Still he just knelt there, looking at the card he’d drawn. What the hell was it?

Daiki’s heart stopped as Garvan slowly dropped his arm to his side and bowed his head. “I end my turn.”

[i]“Very well” [/i]Death said solemnly, drawing his card for formalities sake. [i]“I activate the effect of Destiny Leo. Detaching its final overlay unit, this entire reality will be thrown into the abyss.” [/i]Clutching Natsumi tightly Daiki closed his eyes and waited for the inevitable. Well, maybe wherever they ended, he might see Natsumi again. He might have a chance to say he was sorry for everything he’d done again. He could do nothing but let Death’s voice consume his last moments. [i]“Prepare yourselves, soon you will feel no more pain, no more anger, no more... huh?”[/i]

Huh? What was the huh for? Confused, Daiki opened his eyes and looked up at Destiny Leo. The creature had the sword half raised, but for some reason had just... stopped. Turning to Garvan for an explanation, he was lying face down, chest heaving as he took deep breathes and struggled to keep going. Above him floated the spirit of a mystical young child, frowning at the lion before it disappeared.

Death was stunned for a moment, but regained his frustration quickly. [i]“[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Effect_Veiler"]Effect Veiler[/url]. Lucky. Well, since I can’t finish this entire charade this turn, I might as well finish you! Destiny Leo, direct attack!”[/i]

“Hope’s effect activates!” Daiki responded instinctively as the opposing Number sprung with surprising agility. He didn’t need to think about what he was doing, who he was protecting despite everything, but it didn’t require thinking. He had to protect him. “By detaching an overlay unit, this attack is negated!” Hope threw itself between Garvan and the swinging blade, deflecting it away to Death’s frustration.

[i]“Still you fight against me? So be it! I place one card face down and end my turn. With this your demise is absolutely confirmed no matter what you try to do! Turn end!”[/i]

“Garvan, wake up!” He was fading badly, still struggling from the earlier battering. “Come on. You can’t go down. You’re stronger than this, you’ve still got something left in you! Damn it man don’t die on me as well after I’ve protected you, after you’ve protected me! I couldn’t bear that! Wake up!”

Garvan managed to look up at him, just. He tried to speak, but words didn’t really come, stifled by an exhausted gurgling and a uttering of his name. All energy spent, Garvan’s eyes shut and he collapsed. As he did, Daiki lost it. “Natsumi, please, hold on for me a moment.” Laying her down he stood, and went berserk! “You’re going to pay for this! You don’t understand why I won’t lie down and go quietly along with your mad plan? It’s because I want to feel something good, and do so with the people I care about. You’ve stripped me of one of the people who I care about most, who has made me feel the best despite everything, and another man who although he is not who I once knew has also been there for me. You think these things aren’t worth living for compared to your misery and pain? You think I want to lose them and all the other people I care about? Who are you? What kind of monster are you!? Answer me!”

[i]“Humph, these emotions you speak of, they are trifling compared to the emotions you display”[/i] Death commented impassively. [i]“Those emotions are fleeting and shallow compared to suffering and death.”[/i]

He wasn’t going to be reasoned with. And right now Daiki didn’t want to reason. He wanted to hurt this fiend as much as he possibly could. Shaking and screaming murder and vengeance he swung wildly, snatching his card in passing. “To hell with you! I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blustering_Winds"]Unprecendented Wind[/url] magic card. This increases Hope’s attack by one thousand, putting it over Destiny Leo!”

[i]“Counter trap, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Solemn_Judgement"]Declaration of God[/url]!”[/i] Death sniped back. [i]“By paying half of my life points, your cards activation is negated.”[/i] Daiki choked as the magic card exploded without effect, and Death continued to laugh at him through his puppet (LP 200). [i]“And with that, your last hope is extinguished. All you can do now is end your turn and pass on into the abyss. It’s over!”[/i]

“It’s not over!” He had no possible way of justifying that. He had no cards left, except for the winged warrior who was weaker and now effect-less. It was over in every way. But it couldn’t be. He couldn’t accept it. He refused to accept it. He couldn’t let Garvan and Natsumi die here by this maniac’s hand. Not to mention he couldn’t let everyone else down. He stood there shaking, trying to find some way out, somehow. There had to be a way still. “I won’t give up. I won’t. I... I...” Images of Kaneko and Clarissa flew past his mind’s eye. Followed by Rokuro, and Hunter, Wilhelm, and all of Baron’s forces and the guys in the office, and everyone he’d seen perish in the VDS. Unmai before he was possessed. And Natsumi, lying there beside him. As he stood there, the mark of the Numbers reflected on him began to glower brighter, and dark purple, and gold light suddenly engulfed him. “I won’t give up Hope!”

What happened in the next few seconds was quite surprising for Death. Daiki would probably have been surprised too, had he not been so thoroughly and passionately enraged. As he shouted and the aura wrapped around him, a giant starlight swirl opened below the floating warrior Hope as it started to curl up and fold itself back into its seal. The seal sank into the vortex, the thing exploded again, and the two watched in disbelief and fury as it rose back up, but this time it was larger and dark grey in colour. The seal unfolded again, to reveal inside a reborn warrior in dark armour, carrying a whole arsenal of swords as he spread its wings and took flight. One overlay comet orbited it (Rk4, ATK 2500).

[i]“What is this?”[/i] Death spluttered. [i]“What did you do?”[/i]

“I... don’t know” Daiki gaped in amazement. Looking at the card on his D-Disk, it had transformed, now bearing a new name; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_C39:_Utopia_Ray"]Chaos Number 39: Aspiring Emperor Hope Ray[/url]. As Daiki read the description, he smiled in a mess of different emotions, mostly relief and joy. “This is... perfect. Alright Death, I don’t know who or what you are. But I’m going to come for you, and I’m going to stop you. And this new Hope of me and my friends is going to help me. I activate the effect of Hope Ray. By detaching its overlay unit, it gains five hundred attack points.” Seemingly unspectacular at first, Hope Ray drew a larger broadsword with two hands, the dark armour turning white as it did (ATK 3000). “And that’s not all, because your monster also loses one thousand attack points. Meaning this duel is over in our favour.”

Unmai’s dead eyes blinked as he recoiled in shock, looking up at the weakened monster (ATK 2200). “Now Hope Ray, finish this and destroy Destiny Leo and death with it! Hope Chaos Slash!”

The mighty warrior lunged, skilfully evading the counter swing from the gigantic lion before burying the sword deep in its chest. The voiceless beast staggered, slipping out of its throne and falling forwards, sending shockwaves as it crashed into the earth. Holding onto Natsumi Daiki managed to hold his ground, whilst Unmai’s body flew screaming through the air and landed heavily in a heap (LP 0).

Removing his D-Gazer as Hope Ray and Destiny Leo vanished, Daiki watched as three glowing shapes of Number cards abandoned their defeated masters. As they vanished, the lifeless bodies of War and Famine turned to stars and faded into nothingness. Daiki felt nothing watching them go, they had tried to kill them after all no matter what the circumstances, and it was maybe better for them. As their bodies faded away, a rumbling noise reverberated around the realm.

[i]“Your resistance is beginning to grate Masuro” [/i]the bodiless voice rumbled, brimming with fury.[i] “But soon you will accept your fate, whether you like it or not.”[/i]

Daiki didn’t comment as the voice passed away. He did feel something though; when two similar glows left Natsumi’s D-Disk and flew past him. “Oi, Volca, you get back here!”

“Ugh! Dai?”

“Natsumi?” All his bundle of emotions released as Natsumi coughed and opened her eyes, ever so slightly. “Thank goodness you’re alright.”

“Dai... I feel weak. I don’t have much time. I need to tell you about something.” She shook her head in reply to his automatic ‘don’t say that’ response. “Save it would ya? I need to tell you something, and I have to tell you now so just listen. It’s about Garvan.”

“Garvan?” Looking across to their begrudging ally, he was still passed out face down. “I don’t want to talk about Garvan. I want to talk about us.”

“I already know what you want to say, I don’t need to hear you just repeat yourself... sweet as you think it might be” Natsumi coughed, trying to keep her tough girl exterior despite everything. “Dai, I know you hate him for what he did to you, but don’t hate on him for joining Murtagh. It’s not that simple.”

“Please Nat, can we talk about something else?” Daiki pleaded. She was looking more and more ill by the second. “Come on; let’s get you out of here. I don’t want to lose you again.”

“Daiki, please let me finish, you need to know the truth. Hunter told me before he died, so that it wouldn’t be buried. Now I need to do the same, and you need to hear it.” Still he tried to pick her up, her body was getting so cold, but she managed to push him off again. “Dai, when Garvan joined Murtagh’s group... he did so under orders. He joined as a triple agent, for the secret service of Japan.”

“What?” Daiki froze, unable to take it in. “But... but that makes no sense. Why didn’t he say anything? Why didn’t Hunter say anything? If he really was working for the government, why didn’t he do something before things got so out of hand?”

“I don’t know. I asked him, but he wouldn’t tell me. Hunter didn’t know either. He told me when the secret service got news Murtagh was back in the country, they knew he’d try something, and wanted someone in his circle. Someone not in the service who Murtagh would discover and kill. Then Garvan came to them. He said he’d been approached by this guy with this plan, and they knew it was Murtagh. It was like the answer to all their problems. They cut a deal with him, but even after he’d got inside, they wouldn’t answer his calls to recapture him. They wanted to wait, so they get all his contacts and anyone else involved y’know. The man in charge of the sting told Garvan if he complained and tried to disrupt their movements they’d expose him and his work for Real Duel protecting you.”

“Someone... wait, someone knew about Real Duel?” Daiki asked. His anger was starting to swell again. “Who? Who was in charge?” Natsumi coughed, blood was coming up.

“The man in charge of the sting... was Murakami Baron.” Daiki froze as Baron’s name was dropped. “Garvan had to tell him, they wanted to know why Murtagh would have approached him. As for why he is still with Murtagh now, Hunter thought it might be because after so long, and without allies support, maybe he did start to buy into Murtagh’s ideas and go rogue. That or maybe on orders from Baron not to jeopardise the sting. Perhaps he had no opportunity to stop it, or was just trying to keep himself alive. Dai” Natsumi coughed, her eyes fluttered lightly as they started to lose their fire. “I want you to know, I’ve missed you, every day since I left. I was never able to forget, and I never regretted it despite what happened. When I first saw you today, for the first time in a year, I was happy. I couldn’t say it with everything going on, but I...”

Natsumi’s voice wavered, unable to finish, and faded as her eyes firmly shut, and despite all his crying and shaking she wouldn’t wake again. Mourning desperately, Daiki didn’t even register the barren dead lands begin to recede into the white light that was engulfing him, until Natsumi and Garvan disappeared and left him alone as he was transported to a destination he no longer cared about. [i]‘Natsumi...’[/i]

Steel hands gripping especially tightly around the crystal tip of his staff, Death watched the proceedings unfolding throughout his fortress carefully; focus on the illusory wastelands that were fading back into a dungeon like area. He was most displeased with what had transpired.

[i]“Pestilence.”[/i]

The cloaked and hooded figure of the white horseman emerged, bowing as he did so. [i]“War and Famine have fallen. These people are as resourceful as they are obstinate. But with our brothers passing, your time must come now. Are you prepared for battle?”[/i] The horseman nodded mutely, as the holographic like images in front of Death split into four, focusing on each group. [i]“Choose.”[/i]

There was no hesitation, as he pointed towards the bottom left screen. Something about his selection amused Death. [i]“I thought as much. You know it must be done, but by your own hand? Are you certain?”[/i]

“Yes my brother” Pestilence bowed again. “Thank you, I have wanted this battle ever since you choose me, but do not
worry. I will send all who oppose our goal into the abyss.” The figure took one more look at the screen as Death looked away, and his fist tightened. “Starting with her...”

06:59:58... 06:59:59... 07:00:00...[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Two hours left.

Wow, only two weeks left of this thing.

[spoiler=Cards]Finally after an arc the custom Number of Unmai is unleashed in full, hope it was worth the wait (hope somebody waited). Some of you might notice it's been designed specifically to mirror Dyson Sphere (negates attacks/effects, direct attack/multi attack)

[b]Number 75: Apocalypse Wyvern[/b]
[color=#4b0082][b]DARK[/b][/color]
Dragon/Xyz/Effect
2 Level 10 monsters
Cannot be destroyed by battle, except in battle with a 'Number' monster. While this card has Xyz Material; it is unaffected by the effects of monsters, spells and traps. During your Main Phase 1: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; during this turn this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. During either player's turn you can Target 1 monster you control and Banish this card from your Graveyard; the Target monster cannot be destroyed by card effects this turn.
ATK 3500 / DEF 2100[/spoiler]

[spoiler='The drill. You know it.']My suspicion about the identity of Pestilence is growing…
The finish of Jin and Kaneko vs Murtagh was just amazing and epic. Favorite line thus far. Except maybe War's Big No in this chapter.
Oh dear, the stakes are really climbing in every way possible.
Great work with the chapters.[/spoiler]

Jeez... That was amazing man.

Honestly, even though I will probably say this about every chapter from now on, but this in my opinion is the best chapter of the entire fic so far.

[spoiler='Guess whats in the box?']
To start things off, you are welcome about the duel help... And you still managed to suprise me witht he second half. I mean wow, Plus Destiny Leo still hasn't done properly . Galbatorix slightly, but in a great way.

I'm not sure about C39's appearance here. I mean, I was expecting it a tad later on. Even though this is really far through. I still thought it would be a tad later.
Natsumi's dead? :o Sad now... I mean, it was a really touching moment, and meanie for cutting off the three words I think she wanted to say. I couldn't help but luagh at Garvan being a triple agent though... I just got Flashbacks to Indiana Jones 4, and slightly Pirates of the Carrabean 3. Since I love the sheer complexity of moments like that.

Jin and Kaneko was sweet, particualrly the crush I'm guessing is forming there. Kinda makes sense, though the reasoning for Kaneko was a bit off for me. I think that there would probably be some other reason, given there being millions on there, but it was nice ti wasn't 'you have been destined to save the world since your grandfathers birth'.

Murtagh, a good cameo. Pretty much all I can say on him. Though, I still love the fact he kills an army pretty much Single hand.

The horsemen as every bit as twisted as they should have been. I mean, they talk a logical point, but its just so against human nature that it works. Vlad is dead, and Unami tried to help, before Glabatorix sydrome kicked in. Just done in a much better way. I mean Death rocked in that bit.

Pestilence seems to be my favourite rider so far. He is just bad ass enough. His silent demenaour, and I hope muchly that he is the RD guy from the start, As, who else would have a grudge against presumabley clarrisa (In before a list of many many people).

Have I said NATSUMI :'(
[/spoiler]

Well done dude. As ever I look forwards to the rapidly apporaching end,

[spoiler=I'll use spoilers this time]Rather epic battle there, though why did you have to kill of Natsumi. Garvin is becoming more interesting, and just the whole, Destiny Leo ends this .. huh? was rather amusing to witness. I'm getting suspicions about who pesilence is too, and if I'm right then there might be some more exposition on my favourite character from this series involved. A good story though, and two weeks till the end is pretty well perfect timing, since I've got just over two weeks till I'm going on holidays for a couple of weeks and probably won't be able to access this site, so I'll be able to see the end of the story before that happens. Also, War's final comment was just funny. Good Job.[/spoiler]

Comments, whoo.

[quote name='Tama the Chibi Sage' timestamp='1351887058' post='6059677']
[spoiler='The drill. You know it.']My suspicion about the identity of Pestilence is growing…
The finish of Jin and Kaneko vs Murtagh was just amazing and epic. Favorite line thus far. Except maybe War's Big No in this chapter.
Oh dear, the stakes are really climbing in every way possible.
Great work with the chapters.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Thank you for liking and commenting.

Glad the characters in that duel and Neo Galaxy Eyes factor managed to gloss over a multitude of technical errors. Again. Seriously the two most error strewn duels have been the two Kaneko vs Murtagh duels. You're avatars for goodness sake you should know the game inside out (not just bend card effects to suit with your power).

You can't do a bad guy without a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :D

It gets worse. Much worse.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1351889775' post='6059713']
Jeez... That was amazing man.

Honestly, even though I will probably say this about every chapter from now on, but this in my opinion is the best chapter of the entire fic so far.

[spoiler='Guess whats in the box?']
To start things off, you are welcome about the duel help... And you still managed to suprise me witht he second half. I mean wow, Plus Destiny Leo still hasn't done properly . Galbatorix slightly, but in a great way.

I'm not sure about C39's appearance here. I mean, I was expecting it a tad later on. Even though this is really far through. I still thought it would be a tad later.
Natsumi's dead? :o Sad now... I mean, it was a really touching moment, and meanie for cutting off the three words I think she wanted to say. I couldn't help but luagh at Garvan being a triple agent though... I just got Flashbacks to Indiana Jones 4, and slightly Pirates of the Carrabean 3. Since I love the sheer complexity of moments like that.

Jin and Kaneko was sweet, particualrly the crush I'm guessing is forming there. Kinda makes sense, though the reasoning for Kaneko was a bit off for me. I think that there would probably be some other reason, given there being millions on there, but it was nice ti wasn't 'you have been destined to save the world since your grandfathers birth'.

Murtagh, a good cameo. Pretty much all I can say on him. Though, I still love the fact he kills an army pretty much Single hand.

The horsemen as every bit as twisted as they should have been. I mean, they talk a logical point, but its just so against human nature that it works. Vlad is dead, and Unami tried to help, before Glabatorix sydrome kicked in. Just done in a much better way. I mean Death rocked in that bit.

Pestilence seems to be my favourite rider so far. He is just bad ass enough. His silent demenaour, and I hope muchly that he is the RD guy from the start, As, who else would have a grudge against presumabley clarrisa (In before a list of many many people).

Have I said NATSUMI :'(
[/spoiler]

Well done dude. As ever I look forwards to the rapidly apporaching end,
[/quote]

Yeah, I deliberately kept you in the dark about sudden Death puppetry bit/Destiny Leo stuff. Sorry :D

I can sort of see where you come from about Hope Ray. I think people have just been building it up as 'the big winning card of the final duel' for an arc now which may have been the reason.

People have an annoying habit of dying before getting their last words out. As for Garvan, his background is loosely based on the storyline of Ocelot's character in MGS3 as a triple agent who helps and fights Snake when it suits him. Slightly disappointed that after the last two chapters no-one is calling Baron out for being a jerk though (reaches for thicker brush).

Kaneko's explanation has always been a problem, despite having so long to work out a justifiable reason for her actions I never got anything more... satisfying. Think her reasons about scattering the Numbers is... plausible (just) but as for taking a shine to Jin... eh guess different people will respond differently. But yeah anything is better than the generic puke inducing 'it's your destiny'. As for Jin, remember young man, she is six. And her mother is a gun totting terrorist.

Good reaction for horsemen. Their logic is so sick yet delivered its infuriating. Prepare for Death to lay it on heavy when he shows his...er... helmet.

Yes you did. Thanks man, I am too.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1351907262' post='6059946']
[spoiler=I'll use spoilers this time]Rather epic battle there, though why did you have to kill of Natsumi. Garvin is becoming more interesting, and just the whole, Destiny Leo ends this .. huh? was rather amusing to witness. I'm getting suspicions about who pesilence is too, and if I'm right then there might be some more exposition on my favourite character from this series involved. A good story though, and two weeks till the end is pretty well perfect timing, since I've got just over two weeks till I'm going on holidays for a couple of weeks and probably won't be able to access this site, so I'll be able to see the end of the story before that happens. Also, War's final comment was just funny. Good Job.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Because I'm a jerk? Who has a history of killing off main characters?

Was just hoping for reaction's of "Oh hell no Death's going to kill them all there's nothing they can do" Effect Veiler "massive sigh of relief" :)

I'm rather enjoying that there are three different ideas as to Pestilence's identity.

Thanks.

I was doing so well...late again :(

[spoiler=But I'm here now! And I haz stuffs to say!]
Holy fricking frick frickmuffins, that was amazing. Hope Volcanic just sounds so badass...the duel as a whole was great...and the deaths were done well (Natsumi's dead :( No more firey Volca spam :() I don't have anything really insightful to say that hasn't already been said, except i need to say the words "that was awesome" again. Because it was.

Also, Apocalypse Wyvern is hilarious. Horray for near-invincibility!
[/spoiler]

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1351988453' post='6060591']
Remind me to read through all of this when I wake up in about eight hours.
[/quote]

See you got my message then and you are actually reading now.

Last time I remember you commenting was halfway through Arc 2. So...

*passes Umbra a full set of exploration gear and some husky dogs*

You're going to need these, it's going to be a long trek :D

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1351996759' post='6060676']
I was doing so well...late again :(

[spoiler=But I'm here now! And I haz stuffs to say!]
Holy fricking frick frickmuffins, that was amazing. Hope Volcanic just sounds so badass...the duel as a whole was great...and the deaths were done well (Natsumi's dead :( No more firey Volca spam :() I don't have anything really insightful to say that hasn't already been said, except i need to say the words "that was awesome" again. Because it was.

Also, Apocalypse Wyvern is hilarious. Horray for near-invincibility!
[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Thanks man. I figured people would mark out at the words Armoured Xyz as a 'winning' card, I admit I definately did when creating Hope Volcanic. And yeah, in the cold light of day Wyvern is pretty much broken to the same degree as anime Volca and other nerfed Numbers. The only thing that I had confirmed back when it first appeared was the effect immunity that mirrored Dyson's attack immunity, and I wanted to enjoy having a monster which people knew about but didn't know what it did (unlike if Unmai had Destiny Leo himself, which when it was first announced I thought would be his given how unbelieveably neatly it fitting into a [b]Destiny[/b] Hero deck. Konami be trolling). Plus practising with custom cards, just in case...

No comments about Daiki using Black Mist again is slightly disappointing for me that I didn't get a reaction for that, but it was a long chapter with a lot of stuff in so I understand that wasn't too impactful compared to everything else.

Thanks man, and... *steals a muffin* thank you for munchies. I need it. Was meant to go food shopping today but not in this rain :D

I think we're safe from the spoilers now, and what a chapter. I love long duels like this, and the tension was thick right here in Chez Eon. If this fic had pages I would surely be turning them quickly.

I must admit, for all that it is overused in Yugioh, I liked it when [s]Bommer[/s] Famine was possessed by [s]Chacu Challhua[/s] Death. It was expected as soon as he started to repent, but it's a good mile better than cutting off the duel, which as you probably know irritates me somewhat. The whole rest of the duel was very well done as well, and it takes me back to Armageddon again, with the Soul of Fire/Misfortune 1-card defeat.

I'm liking Number 75, and it shows you can make up good cards when you need to. Number C39 was sort of expected, but I thought it was the appropriate time for it. At least it's not shoehorned into the last duel, just to make it work.

PS: I would rather you didn't keep destroying the Genex, Murtagh. I for one quite like them. Go destroy some Madolce instead, fix yourself a nice slice of cake maybe?

PPS: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PPPS: Someone had to die. Glad you've knuckled down to it now, and are ready to deal killing blows to the good guys.

[b][i][spoiler=DEUS EX MACHINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA][/i][/b]
Sorry, but that had to be done. C39 literally appearing as a god out of nowhere has to be called out on. While it's kind of a staple when it comes to YGO (hell, back in 5D's it was even a narrative device with Savior Dragon) it's still bad writing.

I should let you know that I "caught up" by reading the character bios after Arc 3 and then blazed through Arc 4 as quickly as I could. As a result, some storylines feel a bit underplayed (the politician's storyline most of all) and not really relevant to everything else.

I've got some complaints about the main storyline, too. Maybe there was a lot of foreshadowing to this in Arc 3, but to me, the whole plot about the Four Horsemen and Death seems really, really contrived. It's like the characters were catching up to Murtagh before they were supposed to, so you had to invent some new villains to keep the story going. Also, with the whole monster-invasion plot combined with a mysterious super-villain that wants to bring two worlds together and kill everyone to form some sort of perfect society, everything starts to feel like an Armageddon rehash. You've done that story before. You don't need to do it again.

While the story might be lacking in places, the characters is where you really shine. The main cast are very well developed, and the interactions between them are marvelous. While they do have a fair bit of plot armor, I suppose that's fine. YGO stories tend to be an all-or-nothing situation when it comes to character failures (i.e. victory or death) but you've hit some sort of balance there. Your characters are a bit roughened up, but it gets annoying to see them walk away from what should have been certain death for the eighth time.

Overall, I have to say that I like it. There were a few "What?" moments as I read through, but nothing too detrimental to the story. The writing's well above par, as I'm sure you know, and I'm looking forward to see how it ends.
[/spoiler]

Archived