Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

[quote]Really? Are you that much of a die-hard perfectionist that that would be the only response you have to this entire fic?[/quote]
I would have assumed the fact that I only found one thing that was glaringly incorrect would have been a plus in the fics column. Though if you insist I write more...

My biggest complaint is the same complaint I have with all fics on this site except my own. It takes too long to get into the story. You call it building ambiance and setting the tone, I call it boring as hell.

The entire setup with the girl didn't seem to go anywhere or show anything, at least not right away. It's just some girl we don't care about killing herself. You designed the opening to be like a TV show, not like a written story, which actively works against the fic, not builds it up.

Overall, I don't need to hear about the history of Real Duel Limited. I don't care about how many times Fujita Kenji used a teleporter, I don't need to hear about how Toshima Halls was built and I don't care what kind of prime minster Hideo is.

Your descriptions do not flow naturally. Show, don't tell. Speaking directly to the audience as a narrator and saying "Prime Minister Hideo was a worrier." is a [i]terrible[/i] way to go at it. Like... it's the god damn basics of writing here. Show, don't tell. You could completely eliminate half the paragraphs in Hideo's office and it would be so much better.

Other minor complaints:

1) You sprinkle in a lot of UK/NZ idioms. The word carer over caregiver. The word lorry over truck. Using centre over center. Using the word ditherer to mean indecisive as opposed to mean agitated. I'm sure there's more but I quit before the halfway mark.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, just something that I noticed you doing. And because I'm noticing it, it's taking me completely out of the experience. So I guess it is a bad thing overall and I lied in the introductory sentence to this paragraph.

I'm not saying USE MY WORDS BECAUSE 'MERICUH! or something stupid like that, just it's distracting as hell. That may have been the point, I dunno. Write to your satisfaction, not the satisfaction of others. It's a minor complaint compared to the bigger one up there.

2) [quote]In the north Hokkaido will be slightly colder and more vulnerable to some light showers that might roll in from the Atlantic this evening.[/quote]
Don't you mean Pacific? The Atlantic is on the other side of the world. Unless you don't mean the Atlantic Ocean in which case, what are you refering to?

Again, minor complaint. I don't really care.

[quote]I assume you didn't read further.[/quote]
9:11:37 is where I quit reading. If it gets better, then way to put your worst foot forward and leave poor first impressions. If it gets worse or stays the same, I'm glad I quit when I did.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm, yeah. Same basic complaints/critiques as Pika. It was technically good (although your description bordered on overwhelming at times), but behind all the shininess it was rather... boring. I don't know. The whole "real time action omg!" concept and your writing style clash pretty neatly, especially at points where it was supposed to move along quickly as per the plot but got bogged down instead. Not to say that it was "bad" - this thing's certainly better than 90% of the average drivel. However, it just failed to catch my interest.

[quote name='Wraith' timestamp='1328137521' post='5794191']
HA I ONLY READ THE OPENING AND THE ENDING I SKIMMED THE DUEL >8D

Plus I realized that I hadn't read any bit of Armageddon...
[/quote]

Why would you do that? Seems an odd thing to do. :huh:

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1328146628' post='5794523']
I would have assumed the fact that I only found one thing that was glaringly incorrect would have been a plus in the fics column. Though if you insist I write more...

My biggest complaint is the same complaint I have with all fics on this site except my own. It takes too long to get into the story. You call it building ambiance and setting the tone, I call it boring as hell.

The entire setup with the girl didn't seem to go anywhere or show anything, at least not right away. It's just some girl we don't care about killing herself. You designed the opening to be like a TV show, not like a written story, which actively works against the fic, not builds it up.[/quote]

I see where you're coming from, but I think with all due respect that you're way too over the other end of the spectrum on your own here. Your whole view of stuff happening to which it isn't immediately clear why seems a bit... bizarre... It just makes me think "OMG we don't find out Harry Potter is a wizard in the first 10 sentences. This book sucks."

You even outright say 'all fics except my own', so... I just can't really care about your comments that much after reading that.

[quote]
Overall, I don't need to hear about the history of Real Duel Limited. I don't care about how many times Fujita Kenji used a teleporter, I don't need to hear about how Toshima Halls was built and I don't care what kind of prime minster Hideo is.

Your descriptions do not flow naturally. Show, don't tell. Speaking directly to the audience as a narrator and saying "Prime Minister Hideo was a worrier." is a [i]terrible[/i] way to go at it. Like... it's the god damn basics of writing here. Show, don't tell. You could completely eliminate half the paragraphs in Hideo's office and it would be so much better.[/quote]

Ok, I'll take that bit.

[quote]
1) You sprinkle in a lot of UK/NZ idioms. The word carer over caregiver. The word lorry over truck. Using centre over center. Using the word ditherer to mean indecisive as opposed to mean agitated. I'm sure there's more but I quit before the halfway mark.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, just something that I noticed you doing. And because I'm noticing it, it's taking me completely out of the experience. So I guess it is a bad thing overall and I lied in the introductory sentence to this paragraph.

I'm not saying USE MY WORDS BECAUSE 'MERICUH! or something stupid like that, just it's distracting as hell. That may have been the point, I dunno. Write to your satisfaction, not the satisfaction of others. It's a minor complaint compared to the bigger one up there.[/quote]

Well, yeah. I'm British. I'm going to write using British words that I've used for the most part of 22 years. Not really something I can help you with.

[quote]
2) Don't you mean Pacific? The Atlantic is on the other side of the world. Unless you don't mean the Atlantic Ocean in which case, what are you refering to?

Again, minor complaint. I don't really care.

9:11:37 is where I quit reading. If it gets better, then way to put your worst foot forward and leave poor first impressions. If it gets worse or stays the same, I'm glad I quit when I did.
[/quote]

*Facedesks for stupidity* Yes, I meant Pacific. <_<

Well, bit disappointed. Can see where you're coming from with some stuff, some it I downright disagree with. Total contrast in styles I guess. Shame but if you don't want to read anymore then fair enough. Good luck to you.

[quote name='Rinne' timestamp='1328148578' post='5794601']
Mmm, yeah. Same basic complaints/critiques as Pika. It was technically good (although your description bordered on overwhelming at times), but behind all the shininess it was rather... boring. I don't know. The whole "real time action omg!" concept and your writing style clash pretty neatly, especially at points where it was supposed to move along quickly as per the plot but got bogged down instead. Not to say that it was "bad" - this thing's certainly better than 90% of the average drivel. However, it just failed to catch my interest.
[/quote]

Again, disappointed, more so than I am with Pika's reaction. Taking your critisism more seriously about over-description dragging down attempted fast pace. Thank you for reading and for giving feedback.

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328151717' post='5794701']
Why would you do that? Seems an odd thing to do. :huh:
[/quote]Cause if I don't then I'll get bored of Yu-Gi-Oh! fics... like mine.

Also, I have something I'd like you to proofread, can I PM it too you?

Chapter 2 will be up in about 11-12 hours.

So yeah, if anyone wants to make any final comments about Chapter 1 then feel free. Although the level of response so far has been pretty damn incredible. Hope the following chapters meet expectations.

Must try and find time over weekend to finish the chapter I'm currently working on. But the Six Nations is starting... #Dilemma

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328248320' post='5796596']
Chapter 2 will be up in about 11-12 hours.[/quote]

**awesomesauce.jpg**

[quote]So yeah, if anyone wants to make any final comments about Chapter 1 then feel free. Although the level of response so far has been pretty damn incredible. Hope the following chapters meet expectations.[/quote]

I would do a full-length review, but I think you of all people know how much my last review sucked. I clearly had too much caffeine that day, but really, the description was just a bore to read through. It was like "how much longer am I going to have to scroll down?"

[quote]Must try and find time over weekend to finish the chapter I'm currently working on. But the Six Nations is starting... #Dilemma
[/quote]

And that would be a problem because?

Making writing your first priority, good sir. Write whenever you are the most alert (not high, not jittery, not ecstatic, not anything else but alert).

[quote name='~~Xiahou Dun~~' timestamp='1328248497' post='5796597']
**awesomesauce.jpg**

I would do a full-length review, but I think you of all people know how much my last review sucked. I clearly had too much caffeine that day, but really, the description was just a bore to read through. It was like "how much longer am I going to have to scroll down?"

And that would be a problem because?

Making writing your first priority, good sir. Write whenever you are the most alert (not high, not jittery, not ecstatic, not anything else but alert).
[/quote]

Yeah, but the Six Nations...

We still talking about Maigo Keishi here or this?

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328248655' post='5796599']
Yeah, but the Six Nations...[/quote]

/hasnoideawhathatisbutokay.

[quote]We still talking about Maigo Keishi here or this?
[/quote]

Magio Keishi. NOT THAT I'M BASHING IT OR ANYTHING but Kyubey did pretty much summarize all of my points. And I had to argue my case someday...

Six Nations: Annual rugby tournament between England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy and France.

Anyway, now the site is back up after a few hours of me sweating, Chapter 2 and a brief explanation. How 24 works in the TV series is there are 24 episodes for 24 consecutive hours of story. Since 24 chapters isn't enough for everything I have planned, this will be 48 chapters (fingers crossed); two each week making up that hour with everything going from scene to scene chronologically (hence why they're 1:1 and 1:2, so on)

Except for this one. As I wanted to do all the Real Duel/Clarissa bit in one chapter for the opening, and do all that follows in this chapter seperately rather than switching between the two coinsiding events. This [i]should[/i] be the only bit of time travel, just this once. Honest.

Ok, enough of that. Just read the chapter, and our first full duel. Hope you enjoy. :)

[spoiler=Chapter 1:2]
[b]Meanwhile...[/b]

Whilst all of this was happening at the RDL Building, on the other side of Tokyo, on the highway bridges built across the bay, a young man was idly racing his motorbike along the open roads criss-crossing the open water. Basking in the warm morning sun; the light that gave his top of the range Yamaha an impressive gleam to its blue and white finish, burning through his tanned leather jacket and stirring his spirit. Feeling the breeze of the wind rush over him, the gust of a lorry passing the other way; blowing his turned up collar into his neck and that would have made a wonderful mess of his dark hair if it hadn’t been for the helmet. Daydreaming a little as he cruised along the beautiful stretch of new road built to accommodate the cultural change of a city that was the entertainment capital of Asia. It was riding his bike like this that made him feel the most alive, the most free. And today he had the entire day free, just to drive. He wouldn’t run out of petrol, because petrol was an outdated quantity that had been replaced by the rapid advancement of hydro-electric power in Japan as a solution to both world shortages of natural resources and to global warming. He didn’t have anything else to distract him; no need to think or worry about anything. All he had was the endless open track, and a full day to exploit it. For Masuro Daiki, everything pointed to a good day.

That was until another motorbike appeared in his mirror.

A bright orange and white Honda model that was the main rival in the class to his own ride, the second rider dressed in a black riding jacket and smart trousers that were a stark contrast to Daiki’s casual jacket and jeans, pulled up to just behind him and started shadowing from a short distance behind. A few seconds later and a beeping started in his right ear. This indicated that there was an incoming call for him, as helmets had the same functions as D-Gazers built into them, and they could be accessed and used by voice control whilst driving. Giving the command to ignore the call, Daiki took a slipway to another road, only to be followed by the second biker, a little closer now, and get a second bout of the incoming call beeping. Sighing, he accepted it.

“You’re an easy man to find Dai.” The voice that spoke to him was gruff despite the attempt at light-hearted cheer, a thick central European accent that he knew well. DCI Garvan Zielinski. Garvan had come to Japan with his parents from Poland when he was very young, when his father got a job as an engineer for Real Duel Ltd. However he had chosen a very different path in life, and joined the Tokyo Metropolitan Police, at the same time that Daiki had six years ago.

“What do you want Garvan?”

“Oh, someone’s not happy to see me.” Daiki could almost sense the good-humoured smirk on his pursuers face. “Well I’m afraid you’re going to be even less happy in a minute. I need you to come down to the station with me. Something important has come up, and since you won’t answer our calls, the general’s got me to come and fetch you in to do something for him.”

Daiki’s heart sank. “Does ‘day off’ mean nothing to you? I know they have to wrestle you out of the building and make you take them, but the rest of us actually like to enjoy some time away from work.”

“Shigeo said it had to be you. Look I don’t like being the errand boy here either, I’ve got my own work to do other than chase you around here all day, so just come in with me and let’s get it over with.”

Daiki paused for a long moment. Today was his day off, he had booked it off. Not for any reason in particular, just to relax. There was no rule that forced him to go in once he was off, unless in the event of a national emergency. But Garvan had not indicated anything as such; just some menial request that apparently ‘had’ to be given to him. Most of his colleagues would take such a request to come in more seriously, but still... looking out at the road, feeling the wind and the sun...

With a rev of the engine, Daiki opened the taps and accelerated away, diving down another off road. He only gained a few metres gap, before to his amazement Garvan stuck with him. Presumably he had expected his reluctance.

“Come on man, stop being difficult. I thought you took your job more seriously than this.”

That hurt. “I do Garvan, during working hours. But I also know not to let it take over my whole life. I booked the day off, so Shigeo can find someone else for whatever he wants me to do.”

Garvan didn’t give any spoken reply. He and Daiki met at boot camp, and since then had gone through the training camps together, graduated into the force, and had both risen through the ranks to become respected detective chief inspectors in the force. Daiki knew he was extremely dedicated to his work, that he took great pride in his position, and when you could actually get him away from the office he was a solid person. A bit awkward socially sometimes, not one for the busy city life, but still a reliable friend. He also knew he was being stubborn too. Maybe he should go in, for Garvan’s sake.

Another beeping, a different one to before, interrupted his train of thought, as a message appeared across the top of his visor.

[i]‘Challenge to duel incoming. Accept or Decline?’[/i]

A playful smile overcame him. This was another reason he and Garvan got on so well. Because wherever they had gone in the force, they were the only two officers who played Duel Monsters to a level that could challenge the other. They had discovered each other’s interest in the game early on during a night at boot camp, had a few casual games, and their friendship had developed from there. Other colleagues did occasionally play the game, usually with their kids, but no-one took it as seriously as they did. Instead they were perfectly happy to watch their sometimes quite heated rivalry as the two battled to decide who the better duelist was.

“Accept” Daiki answered, as he dived down another, emptier slip road, and his bike immediately responded to the command. Inspired by the D-Wheels from the old anime, Real Duel Ltd did not build such machines, but for some expense could modify a regular motorbike to be used as vessels for high speed duels. Releasing a range of cards especially for these ‘riding duels’ that followed the same rules as the anime, combined with the existing D-Gazer technology built into helmets like Daiki and Garvan’s and even paying for the construction of ‘duel circuits’ about the city; the game took on a new, exciting dimension for those brave and well-off enough to access it (and for those who couldn’t, there was always the VDS). Just in front of him a small bar rose up from where it usually rested below the engine until it came level with the handlebars directly in front of him. Attached to the bar by the clamp, exactly like it would a regular arm, was his D-Disk. Once flat, the blade sprouted out of the central hub in both directions, where he could play his cards. His deck, the one he had used for as long as he could remember, sat in the central hub, allowing him to draw with his right hand whilst driving left handed. Somewhere behind him, Garvan’s Honda was going through the same process. As everything clicked into position, and his deck shuffled itself automatically, the pair entered the Tokyo Bay Duel Circuit, a loop of road exclusively reserved for riding duels.

[i]‘Riding Duel, acceleration. Speed World 2, initialized.’[/i]

His heart suddenly pumping, this was the freedom that Daiki often found himself chasing after, where he could get away from all his problems and stresses for a little while. Riding duels differed from regular duels due to the use of the permanent Field Magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_World_2"]Speed World 2[/url] which accumulated speed counters for both duelists, as well as activating its own unique effects upon their collection, and speed spells that similarly could only be activated by having enough speed counters. All the other rules applied as normal; each player would take it in turns to use their monsters and other support cards to reduce their opponent’s life points from four thousand to nought. How they did that was up to them and the strategy and style they preferred, there were thousands of ways to choose from.

“Alright then, I guess I’ll start us off” Daiki declared, accepting the six cards offered to him to make up his opening hand and first draw, whilst behind him Garvan took the top five, and placing them into an upright slot just in front of his deck that would hold them for him. “I summon. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Feedback_Warrior"]Howling Warrior[/url]!"

...09:15:07...

Something was buzzing. He could hear it faintly, but he wanted to ignore it. He was peacefully asleep, drifting through his dream world without a care.

The buzzing got louder, and with some reluctance the teenage boy yawned, sat up, and looked at his phone. A text from his girlfriend, what a perfect way to start the day. According to the message, she wanted to meet him in town for coffee and make plans for their free day together from there. An attractive idea, but he had a better one in mind. One that he had been planning for a while, and now seemed a good time to go ahead with it. Without hesitation, fuelled with excitement, he made the call.

[i]‘Hello?’[/i]

“Hey Sakura. I just got your message.”

There was a nervous laugh at the other end of the line as she detected the obvious drowsiness still plaguing his tone.[i] ‘Sorry Yudai, I hope I didn’t disturb your beauty sleep.’[/i]

“No its fine, I was oversleeping anyway. Listen, about meeting up in town. I was wondering if you could meet me here first? I have a surprise for you.”

[i]‘Hmm, a surprise?’[/i] A pause teased Yudai slightly, but he was confident of what the answer would be. [i]‘Sure. I can be ready and get to your house in about an hour. Is that okay?’[/i]

“Absolutely, that gives me enough time to finish preparing it for you. See you soon babe.”

There was another nervous laugh before the call ended. An hour then, that was plenty of time. Her surprise was already ready and waiting; Yudai just needed the time to sort himself out. Bolting into action he sprinted to the bathroom. He had been looking forward to today for some time, one he could share with Sakura, where they could spend the whole day together as a couple.

...09:17:15...

No matter how many times he summoned monsters like this, Daiki still got the same excitement out of the ARV that displayed the appearance of a monster beside him in ultimate realism. Exploding into life before him with a crackle of static electricity, a warrior garbed in full silver armour and dark cloak appeared, flying along beside him as he sped down the track (Lv3, ATK 800). By no means powerful in its own right, but one of his favourite cards, the warrior turned to face the waiting opponent.

“I place two cards face down” Daiki re-laid to Garvan into the intercom. The image of the backs of two cards appeared either side of him as he fed two cards into the D-Disk, their identities hidden. “Alright Garvan. Let’s see what you can do.”

“A bit more than that weak effort I can assure you” Garvan replied, as he drew his sixth card. It was then that Speed World 2’s effect activated, increasing each man’s speed counters by one (sp1). “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Chow_Len_the_Prophet"]Predicting Monk Cho-Len[/url]." A dark skinned monk in black ceremonial robes appeared beside him, the right side of his face covered by a mask (Lv4, ATK 1800).

“Now once per turn, I can select one of your face-down cards and predict if it’s a magic or a trap. Then if I’m right that card is sealed from use until the end of the turn. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that your weak monster is just bait and you’re trying to lure me into Mirror Force, just which card is it...” Garvan paused for a minute to decide, to make Daiki wait. “I predict the card on my left is a trap.”

The card appeared and pulled upright, revealing the devastating trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_Force"]Holy Barrier - Mirror Force[/url]. Daiki cursed that his play had been seen through, which prompted a laugh. “Sorry Dai, but I know you to well to fall for such a poor ruse. Cho-Len, blast his warrior away.”

The monk obliged with a blast of magic, striking Howling Warrior right in the chest plate. As the warrior vanished in an explosion of image pixels, a small shock flashed through Daiki to simulate the concept of damage being taken, not enough to hinder his driving in any way, just enough to let him know he’d taken a significant hit (LP 3000).

“I also place two cards face down” Garvan finished with a similar virtual display. "Your move.”

“Not so fast. I’m activating my other trap during the end phase, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Reinforce_Truth"]Truth Reinforce[/url]. This summons one level two warrior type monster straight from my deck. Come out and fight, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Key_Man_the_Key_Warrior"]Key Warrior Keyman[/url]." From the revealed card emerged a swordsman in bronze armour; his suit, helmet and shield all bearing imagery of various locks and keys, and even his sword resembling a giant golden key (Lv2 ATK 1000). It was only then Daiki went to draw. “Now bring it on.”

Daiki: LP 3000, Hand 3, Field of Key Warrior and a face down, Sp 1
Garvan: LP 4000, Hand 3, Field of Cho-Len and 2 face downs, Sp 1

“Time to heat this duel up. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Twin-Headed_Behemoth"]Dol Dora[/url] to the field.” A large dragon like creature descended on leathery wings, its twin heads snapping at each other (Lv3, ATK 1500).

“Trying to shore up your defences with Dol Dora already huh?” Garvan’s voice mocked in his ear. “Well that’s not going to work for you either. I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Hidden_Soldiers"]Hidden Soldiers[/url] trap card. When you summon a monster, I can activate this card to summon a level four or lower dark attribute monster from my hand. Appear, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Magician"]Gagaga Magician[/url]." A wizard in dark blue and maroon robes wrapped in chains appeared beside Garvan, arms folded (Lv4, ATK 1500).

“Who said I was going on the defence?” Daiki remarked. “Gagaga might be your key monster, but you should know better about my Keyman. During my main phase I can activate his effect; increasing his level from two to three. Meaning now I control two monsters with the same level.”

The silence on the line was deafening. “So now because I control two monsters with the same level, I can place them on each other on the field to summon an Xyz monster of a rank equivalent to their level. Like this. Overlay level three Key Warrior Keyman and Dol Dora.” The two monsters bodies turned into arcs of bronze and purple light, spiralling upwards before crashing into the swirling vortex that appeared between the two duelists, and a bloodthirsty roar heralded the new monster. “Xyz summon. I call on the rampant destroyer, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Grenosaurus"]Grenosaurus[/url]."

From the vortex rose a snarling T-Rex. Its hide blood red in colour, flames spurted from the beast’s fanged jaws as it started running beside its duelist (Rk3, ATK 2000). Circling its body were two little red comets. Daiki gave the command to attack Gagaga Magician and the raptor turned and charged, unleashing a stream of flame down on the helpless spellcaster. Garvan grunted as he took the damage (LP 3500).

“Now for Grenosaurus’ effect. When summoned to the field, an Xyz monster keeps the monsters used to summon it attached to it as overlay units. Then by detaching these overlay units I can activate its effect. So now I’ve destroyed your monster, I detach Keyman to slam you with another one thousand points of direct damage.” The monster that had kept charging past Garvan turned and opened its jaws (DRU 1), snapping at one of the little comets as it flew in and came hurtling back at the officer. A second stream of fire and a yell indicated the success of the attack (LP 2500).

“This isn’t funny Dai. I’m just following orders, and you are going to fall in line even if I have to drag you in.” Daiki couldn’t help himself but find this pretty amusing as he drove on, letting Garvan take his turn and their speed rise further. Just behind him, Garvan looked at his card approvingly. This would knock the smile of his face.

“I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Summoner_Monk"]Summon Priest[/url]." An old man in robes floated through the air beside him. You couldn’t summon monsters straight out in face up defence, but the monk’s own effect changed it immediately into a defence position (Lv4, DEF 1600).

“Ah great, now you’re going to activate Priests effect and summon another monster from your deck right?” Daiki scowled.

“I could do that. But I have a much better plan. I activate the trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Haunted"]Cry of the Living Dead[/url] This permanent trap card resurrects one monster from my cemetery. I of course choose Gagaga Magician.” The chain bound magician rose from a portal to the realm of the dead. “Now I control three monsters all of the same level and can make my own Xyz summon. I overlay level four; Cho-Len, Summon Priest, and Gagaga Magician.” The three monsters disappeared in the same visual display of colour to Daiki’s. “I Xyz summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tinplate_Archduke"]Tinplate Archduke[/url]."

A large round warrior made from metal crashed down to earth before Garvan, brandishing a thin rapier (Rk4, ATK 2200). Whereas Grenosaurus only had one overlay unit on it now, three orange comets represented three overlay units, and three uses of its effect. Daiki knew the metal monster was strong, stronger than his own, but he wasn’t yet worried. He still had Mirror Force protecting him.

“Next I activate the speed spell [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_High_Speed_Crash"]High Speed Crash[/url]. I can activate this card when I have two or more speed counters, in order to destroy my now redundant Cry of the Living Dead and one other card.” To Daiki’s alarm, the face down Mirror Force exploded. “Now you’re wide open. Archduke, strike him down.” The dinosaur roared in pain as the tin duke’s blade passed through it, just enough to do a little damage (LP 2800). Garvan seized the chance and pulled up alongside his opponent. “Turn end.”

“Back to me then” Daiki looked at his hand. One monster that was no match for Garvan’s mighty duke, two spells; one of which he wouldn’t have the speed counters to use until next turn, and now a trap. Well at least he could marshal come defence. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vengeful_Shinobi"]Evil Shinobi[/url] to the field.” A lithe ninja appeared with a somersault (Lv2, ATK 400).

“Next I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_Vision_Wind"]Vision Wind[/url] speed spell. This brings a level two or lower monster from my cemetery back to the field, but it is destroyed in the end phase. Key Warrior Keyman, welcome back my friend.” The bronze plated warrior did not acknowledge his remark as it rose, and Daiki had to ignore the sigh coming over the line from Garvan. “Now I overlay level two Shinobi and Keyman, to Xyz summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gachi_Gachi_Gantetsu"]Solid Frozen Gantetsu[/url]."

A golem with mottled grey muscles covered with minimal armour, the stone creature crouched between the two duelists, blocking Garvan’s path to Daiki (Rk2, DEF 1800).

“Is that all you can do Dai, hide behind that rock head?” came the mocking remark. “You’re not on your game today my friend. You know he can’t protect you for very long.”

“He can protect me for long enough” Daiki replied, trying to ignore the bead of sweat that was tingling on the end of his lashes. He didn’t sound as confident as he might have hoped. “As you well know, as long as I have Gantetsu on the field, he can avoid destruction by detaching his overlay units instead. I’ll also place another card face down. Turn end.”

“I’ll smash it to pieces eventually. My draw.” Garvan quickly glanced at his card, leaning effortlessly into the curve in the track as he did so. The card he’d drawn should help press on the advantage and seal victory, which he knew he needed to do quickly. Mostly due to completing his task of getting Daiki to come into work as quickly as possible, but also partly for winning before he had a chance to come back.

“I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Full_Elf"]Full Elf[/url] to the field.” A blonde elfin swordsman in light armour and a blue cape appeared beside the large tin warrior (Lv2, ATK 800). “Next I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_Zero_Reverse"]Zero Reverse[/url] speed spell. When I have five speed counters, this updated card summons a level four or lower monster from my cemetery in attack mode, with zero attack points. I choose Gagaga Magician.”

The second re-emergence of the wizard only increased Daiki’s reasons to sweat (Lv4, ATK 0). A lot of the speed spells taken from the old anime had been altered when produced for real duels, to make them more playable. For a card like Gagaga Magician, having no attack was no problem at all, as Garvan would be quick to point out. “Now I activate the effect of Gagaga Magician, and change its own level to two. So now I can overlay it with the level two Full Elf and Xyz summon. Appear [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shine_Elf"]Shine Elf[/url]."

The new monster appeared a promoted general to Full Elf. The rudimentary armour had been replaced by polished silver and gold gauntlets, the blue cape by a white cloak, the thin blade by a broadsword (Rk2, ATK 1600). “Next I activate the effect of Tinplate Archduke. By detaching an overlay unit (DRU 2), I can change the battle position of a monster. So your Gantetsu is now going into attack mode and is vulnerable to damage.”

“Now his second effect becomes a factor” came the reply in his ear, as the golem was forced to come out of its defensive stance. “All the monsters I control gain two hundred attack points for each overlay unit on Gantetsu, including itself (ATK 900).”

“So you’ll get one more turn out of this. Archduke, attack his monster.” A slash of the duke’s sword passed over the golem, throwing it backwards, but it remained steadfast (DRU 1, ATK 700). Feeling the shock of the damage simulator flash through him, Daiki watched his life points take another dip (LP 1700). And it wasn’t over yet, as the elf came charging in for the second attack. Again the golem lost ground, but just survived (DRU 0, ATK 500). Again the jolt of damage, and now there were red lights flashing at him (LP 600).

“You’re below the safety line Dai” Garvan reminded him, as if he needed to. “When the time is right, I can activate one of Speed World 2’s effects; removing four of my speed counters to deal damage equal to the number of speed spells in my hand times eight hundred. I have the speed, but currently no cards in my hand, so I end my turn there.”

...09:41:01...

Pulling a fresh T-shirt over his head, Yudai checked his appearance in the mirror once more, determined to perfect it. A student of eighteen, he was tall and naturally athletic, keeping in shape competing in various team sports. Gelling his mane of blonde hair upright added a few extra inches to that figure, something that made him smile to himself. Sakura always fussed over his long hair, much to his amusement.

Satisfied at long last, Yudai passed back through his bedroom. His hand drummed idly on the arcade like machine by his desk as he paused by it, making him wonder. Maybe he should just check... no, he was sure it would be fine. She would probably be here soon, and it would be rude if he was too engrossed in it to answer the door to her. There was no point worrying about it now. Still tapping the machine, he cast a critical eye over the rest of the room. It was presentable enough. Everything was cleaned and put away, all his sports kit was hidden, and even the small collection of trophies on top of his bookcase had been cleaned. There was always a nagging concern, even now, that something would go wrong. It was a silly feeling to have after so long, he should really be more confident with himself. That he didn’t need to keep impressing and trying to win her over. He had already done that. But still...

Mentally laughing at himself for his foolish insecurity, Yudai made his way out and downstairs to the lounge. Everything was ready, and he was sure she would like it. All he had to do now was wait.

...09:44:43...

The two police officers continued to pound around the circuit at speed, Garvan waiting impatiently for Daiki to begin his turn. Not that he had anywhere to go, and deep down Daiki knew it.

“Hey. Are you having another one of your spaced out moments, or trying to work out how you can squirm out of situation you’re in?” Garvan’s voice sounded in his ear.

“Just thinking” he simply replied. [i]‘He’s got me pinned down. With Tinplate Archduke on the field, any monsters I summon in defence mode will immediately get changed into attack, leaving me open for damage. It’s not going to be easy to go on the attack either, as he can use the same effect during my turn to put monsters in defence too. Plus now he has Shine Elf out, which can weaken the attack of monsters I summon further. To win this, the first thing I have to do is get rid of the duke.’[/i] Decided, he put his hand on his deck. “Alright, it’s my turn. Draw!”

Daiki: LP 600, Hand 1, Field of Solid Frozen Gantetsu and a face down, Sp 5
Garvan: LP 2500, Hand empty, Field of Tinplate Archduke and Shine Elf, Sp 5

[i]‘Alright.’[/i] “I activate my own High Speed Crash speed spell. I target Solid Frozen Gantetsu and Tinplate Archduke.” Behind his helmet visor Garvan blinked in shock as the golem charged and dived at the larger warrior, sending them both crashing hopelessly into the road in an exaggerated explosion.

“With that I end my turn.”

“Oh really? Well then, I guess this entire duel rests on my next draw then.” Garvan placed his hand on his deck, pausing just to aggravate Daiki. “If draw a speed spell, or even a monster, you’re finished. Then you’ll agree to come in to work with me, do whatever it is you’ve been requested to do, and we can both get on with our day, right?”

“Just draw already.” Smirking under his helmet at the reply, Garvan drew.

There was a pause for a moment, as the two duelists kept driving, Daiki waiting for the outcome, as Garvan slowly tipped his card. He looked at it for a moment, before shrugging.

“Probably irrelevant. Shine Elf, attack Daiki directly.”

The virtual broadsword struck him straight across the back, sending an enhanced shock for direct damage through him. Gasping, swaying slightly, Daiki frantically activated the one card he had left. “Trap card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Defense_Draw"]Guard Block[/url]. This reduces one instance of battle damage to zero. Then I get to draw a card.”

A frustrated scowl came back over the in-helmet mobile. “I place one card face down. Turn end.”

“Alright then, my turn.” Daiki smiled as he drew his card. Combined with the rest of his hand, he had a chance to turn this around. A lot still depended on Garvan’s face down, that could stop him, but he had to take this chance now. Besides, this game was a lot more fun when it went to this all or nothing ends. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Trident_Warrior"]Trident Warrior[/url] to the field.” A bearded man in turquoise armour appeared, brandishing a long trident (Lv4, ATK 1800). Garvan grunted with indifference.

“Poor. When you summon a monster, Shine Elf can detach an overlay unit to weaken that monsters attack by five hundred, keeping it as the strongest monster on the field.” (ATK 1300)

“Not for long, because when Trident Warrior is summoned, his own effect activates. This lets me summon a level three monster from my hand. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shine_Knight"]Shine Knight[/url] in defence mode.”

“Your point being?” Garvan asked as the luminous knight appeared in full glory.

“My point being that when Shine Knight is on the field in defence position, his level goes up from three to four.” The stunned silence told him Garvan had got it, as the two warriors disappeared and flew into the vortex. “Now, I overlay my level four Shine Knight and Trident Warrior. Xyz summon, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Kachi_Kochi_Dragon"]Kachi Kochi Dragon[/url]!"

The road exploded in front of Daiki, as a great dragon of the earth drove itself up from beneath them, its crystal body gleaming in the sunlight. The beast pulled itself only half free with its huge claws as Daiki passed, before snaking after him, forcing itself through the road and leaving a long chasm in its wake (Rk4, ATK 2100).

“Shine Elf’s effect activates once again, lowering your dragons attack by five hundred” Garvan managed to say whilst steering well clear of the gaps in the road. A blast of light from the elf’s sword struck the dragon (DRU 0), weakening just enough to put the two monsters on equal strength (ATK 1600). “What you got left?”

“Just enough. I activate the speed spell [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Spell_-_Silver_Contrails"]Silver Contrail[/url]. This increases the attack of a monster by a thousand until the end of the turn. Now Kachi Kochi, go forth and attack Shine Elf.” The dragon dived with a roar (ATK 2600), tunnelling under the road straight at the target. Daiki waited for the trap, but it didn’t come, as the dragon burst out of the ground and grabbed the helpless elf between its jaws. The creature gave a low yell as it disappeared, and Garvan grunted with the shock of the damage (LP 1500).

“Now to finish this. When Kachi Kochi Dragon destroys a monster in battle, I can detach an overlay unit, and have him attack once again.” The crystal dragon snapped at one of the comets passing it, before lining up Garvan’s bike. Daiki raised his fist in the air in victory and went to declare the finishing attack.

“Kachi Kochi Dragon, attack... huh?”

Something started glowing in front of him. Fiercely brilliant, Daiki had to shield his eyes whilst slamming on the brakes to stop. He could hear Garvan cursing in his ear, as well as the screeching of his brakes matching his own. Somewhere in the distance a dragon was roaring. Everything sounded so distant for a moment. Everything else was gone, all consumed in the light shining from somewhere just in front of him...

“I can’t see!”

“What’s going on?”

After what seemed like both an eternity and a heartbeat at the same time, the light faded and the two officers were able to see again. The two motorbikes pulled to a sudden stop one after the other, letting Daiki snatch off his helmet and look around for the source. Garvan was leaning over the front of his bike, panting slightly. Judging from that, Kachi Kochi Dragons attack had gone through and won the duel before they stopped. With the duels end and the ARV link disconnected; the dragon had vanished, the roads destroyed and torn apart before their eyes where instantly restored to normal, all traces of their battle erased. Everything around them was normal, looking out over the road, the sea and back at the city, everything seemed the same.

A second glow caught his eye. A soft white radiance that was coming from his extra deck, the slot of cards resting just between the handlebars reserved for his Xyz monsters, quietly giving off its strange light. Unable to think, enchanted by the light that erased everything else from his mind, Daiki slowly reached for the glow in front of him. Looking for something tangible, something that was giving of this alluring glow.

Behind Daiki, Garvan sat up, exhausted by the adrenaline surge that had now faded. In front of him, his own extra deck was giving off a strange glow as well. Glancing at Daiki, he watched him reach towards, and then pick up, a small object from his extra deck that was the source. Instinctively, he did the same thing, pulling out a card. It was undoubtedly a card, although for now it remained faceless, its identity hidden. There was something there, something he couldn’t see hidden behind the veil, as he stared transfixed at the card. A pulse slowly coursed through his body; a surge of incredible power, emanating from the cards he was holding.

“Garvan? You alright mate?”

Snapping out of his mesmerized stupor, Garvan looked up to see Daiki had rolled up next to him. A look of bewildered fear consumed him. “What the heck are these things? I don’t suppose this is why you’re calling me in is it?”

“No... no, this is all new to me as well Dai. I’m as baffled as you are.”

“Right. Well then.” Dai awkwardly stuttered, placing his own softly glowing card back in its place and closing down all the duelling systems on his bike, the deck slowly sliding back underneath the body and encased safely in a little compartment, one that mercifully contained the glow within it. Making sure no-one would be able to see or suspect anything as Garvan did the same thing. He struggled to speak.

“What do you want to do? Come to the station with me, or stay here and investigate whatever that was?”

Daiki paused as he considered his reply. “Ok... I don’t know what that was... but maybe I had better come in with you after all. It might have nothing to do with... whatever this is, but it might give us an explanation. Or at least it will give me a distraction if it’s something else. You good to go?”

The two men set off back along the circuit, taking the quickest route back to the main land and heading towards their head office in silence. The events of the last few minutes replayed over and over in Daiki’s mind as he followed Garvan through the streets. [i]‘Looks like my day won’t be so carefree after all.’[/i]
[/spoiler]

Comments appreciated as ever.

Once again, we have another great Chapter on our hands and upon our fingers as I type this response. However, contrary to the last chapter, I did notice a few grammatical structure problems, like fragments. Passive Voice wasn't as rampant as it was in the last chapter, but that can be overlooked. After all, I ended up taking like 12 years worth of English; I'm a natural at this stuff.

The duel sadly, did not seem to hook me in as much as other duels would. It just felt like your typical cliche "Hey, it's the Yu-Gi-Oh! Universe, so everything has to come down to a Duel eventually!". It's good to break away from that habit every once in a while.

Replies, replies.

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1328302344' post='5797062']
I just noticed. You're using OCG names again?
Great chapter.
[/quote]

Firstly, thank you for the rep.

OCG names: I didn't use OCG names in Armageddon, unless the card was an OCG exclusive at the time. Cards such as Crimson Hell Secure/Scarlet Security and Pot of Red Dragon/Pot of whatevertheTCGnameis come to mind, which is one of the reasons it will be OCG names this time, when its all the latest archtypes and such. Plus being set in Japan, and because 9/10 OCG names are better...

*Apologies in advance if I make the odd slip with these*

[quote name='~~Xiahou Dun~~' timestamp='1328303016' post='5797077']
Once again, we have another great Chapter on our hands and upon our fingers as I type this response. However, contrary to the last chapter, I did notice a few grammatical structure problems, like fragments. Passive Voice wasn't as rampant as it was in the last chapter, but that can be overlooked. After all, I ended up taking like 12 years worth of English; I'm a natural at this stuff.

The duel sadly, did not seem to hook me in as much as other duels would. It just felt like your typical cliche "Hey, it's the Yu-Gi-Oh! Universe, so everything has to come down to a Duel eventually!". It's good to break away from that habit every once in a while.
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed. I am trying to cut the fragments out, it must be frustrating for you to keep telling me but I swear I keep trying. :)

This duel is kinda of the only chance for a 'fun' duel, or duelling for the sake of enjoying it, as is part of Dai and Garvan's natures. Such luxuries will not come again. Good news however, the next duel is where it starts racking up the stakes.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1328314713' post='5797467']
I liked the duel because I love Shine Elf for no reason. And I'm gonna assume the last set was Xyz Reborn.

Another good chapter.
[/quote]

*Note to Konami: Please make more non-archtype Xyz. I'm rapidly running out of them to use.*

The above is what is really f***ing chapters 11 and 12 up like you wouldn't believe.

Glad you enjoyed. As for Xyz Reborn, very very close, as Garvan does have one. But no. You'll find out in Chapter 2:1.

[quote name='Dworkin' timestamp='1328321671' post='5797700']
Great chapter again Verz. Keep em comin.
[/quote]

Thanks. Will do :)

Good chapter, I got engrossed in the duel more easily than I did in Armageddon, so either I'm finally used to it or your writing's better.
One thing I noticed is you had Daiki explaining the Xyz process which was unnecessary. As Crab would say, this is a YGO fanfic and the targeted audience is obviously YGO fans that are most likely updated with the game, so no explanation is needed. Also it'd be unnatural for him to say that to Garvan, who would know that by now, but it's a minor complaint.
And I may have just missed it, but I don't know what Garvan looks like aside from his outfit.
But yeah, good stuff, that was an entertaining read.

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1328374952' post='5798686']
Good chapter, I got engrossed in the duel more easily than I did in Armageddon, so either I'm finally used to it or your writing's better.
One thing I noticed is you had Daiki explaining the Xyz process which was unnecessary. As Crab would say, this is a YGO fanfic and the targeted audience is obviously YGO fans that are most likely updated with the game, so no explanation is needed. Also it'd be unnatural for him to say that to Garvan, who would know that by now, but it's a minor complaint.
And I may have just missed it, but I don't know what Garvan looks like aside from his outfit.
But yeah, good stuff, that was an entertaining read.
[/quote]

Cool. Probably just a better organized and more straightforward duel. That and the more regular pinging of Xyz monsters which didn't happen sufficently as it should have in Armageddon, where the likes of Vajrayana, Gae Bulg, Catastor, Laevatien, etc should have got out more.

Yeah, I see your point. I have had others tell me to go the other way and explain things the first time they crop up.

Well, he had his helmet and riding gear on is mainly why I couldn't naturally put his description, whereas Daiki had his solo bit at the start. Everyone mentioned here appears again in the next chapter and gets explored a bit more.

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328383076' post='5798977']
Yeah, I see your point. I have had others tell me to go the other way and explain things the first time they crop up.
[b]It's a little weird, so I can understand differing perspectives. Mine might not even be right either. You'd get away with it in a book, but with a fanfic it's different, at least to me.[/b]
Well, he had his helmet and riding gear on is mainly why I couldn't naturally put his description, whereas Daiki had his solo bit at the start. Everyone mentioned here appears again in the next chapter and gets explored a bit more.
[b]Good point and good to hear.[/b]
[/quote]

Am I terrible person for forgetting that this was being released and only reading the chapters today?

Question about the Extra Decks. Will Synchros/Fusions get a decent amount of use (seeing as how Brionac was played in 1:1), or will this be mainly Xyz with only a couple uses of the other Extra Deck types? Because from what you've been saying, it sounds like Xyzs will really be the only things used. If so, it's somewhat a shame, since it's a lot like what the anime does, completely ignoring the fact that there are a lot of options out there but only the newest type are ever used.

Anyway, nice start, looking forward to more.

Hm, hm, another good chapter. We got to see some new characters (all from the main cast, unless I'm very much mistaken) and a full-length duel. The duel was a rather iffy sort of thing; even if this is the world of YGO, Daiki not wanting to interrupt his day off was not exactly something that it would be really worth Dueling over. Totally unnecessary, in my opinion. And since it emcompassed a majority of the chapter... The Duel itself was good though, the back and forth clash instead of a one-sided battle. Overall, this chapter left me with mostly positive feelings, so...guess I'll be a-waiting 1:3. (Which will have Numbers, right? Unless my deduction on those cards is off the mark.)

[quote name='IceDorago' timestamp='1328387142' post='5799140']
Am I terrible person for forgetting that this was being released and only reading the chapters today?

Question about the Extra Decks. Will Synchros/Fusions get a decent amount of use (seeing as how Brionac was played in 1:1), or will this be mainly Xyz with only a couple uses of the other Extra Deck types? Because from what you've been saying, it sounds like Xyzs will really be the only things used. If so, it's somewhat a shame, since it's a lot like what the anime does, completely ignoring the fact that there are a lot of options out there but only the newest type are ever used.

Anyway, nice start, looking forward to more.
[/quote]

Yes. Yes you are. Hang you head in shame sir.

Just kidding :D

Thank you for reading and glad you enjoyed it.

People will be sticking to their archtypes (who knows what will appear) and using all the cards at their disposal. If that means just Xyz (ie Wind-Ups, Holy Carved) then that's it. If the archtype involves Xyz and either Synchro/Fusion/Ritual/Advance summoned boss monsters, they will have them too. There will be the odd 'classic' deck amongst them though. However I don't want to go down the route of an Inzektor user suddenly pinging Trishula just because the effect would aid them in a jam or something.

(All this is causing great aggrovation for the last duel of the arc. <_<)

Just want to use the new mechanic and cards, plus with Numbers being the 'cards of power' and serving as the big boss a lot of the time, Xyz will be the predominant mechanic. But look at it this way, it means you'll get to see loads of new cards that you haven't seen used in fic before.

[quote name='Corona Ray' timestamp='1328405848' post='5799761']
Hm, hm, another good chapter. We got to see some new characters (all from the main cast, unless I'm very much mistaken) and a full-length duel. The duel was a rather iffy sort of thing; even if this is the world of YGO, Daiki not wanting to interrupt his day off was not exactly something that it would be really worth Dueling over. Totally unnecessary, in my opinion. And since it emcompassed a majority of the chapter... The Duel itself was good though, the back and forth clash instead of a one-sided battle. Overall, this chapter left me with mostly positive feelings, so...guess I'll be a-waiting 1:3. (Which will have Numbers, right? Unless my deduction on those cards is off the mark.)
[/quote]

Hmm. There was no official stipulation like that on the line, it was meant to be a playful duel than anything. :( Daiki just accepted it for fun, because they both enjoy dueling. Probably some of Garvan's lines obscured that. Bugger.

Tuesday will see Chapter 2:1 released (Part1 and Part2 each week representing the n'th hour of the story, until 24:2 at the end).

Of course Numbers will feature here. They are in the title of the fic. They're mentioned in the theme music! :)

I wonder who'll get what? And when? And how? And where? Okay... maybe not where. And which will be the first Number to appear?!?!

(Please don't all spam with guesses at the first Number to appear <_<)

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328419806' post='5800265']
Yes. Yes you are. Hang you head in shame sir.
[b]I hate you. :([/b]

Just kidding :D
[b]Oh, okay.[/b]

Thank you for reading and glad you enjoyed it.
[b]No problem.[/b]

People will be sticking to their archtypes (who knows what will appear) and using all the cards at their disposal. If that means just Xyz (ie Wind-Ups, Holy Carved) then that's it. If the archtype involves Xyz and either Synchro/Fusion/Ritual/Advance summoned boss monsters, they will have them too.
[b]That's what I was hoping for.[/b]

There will be the odd 'classic' deck amongst them though.
[b]FERAL IMP TURBO? :D[/b]

However I don't want to go down the route of an Inzektor user suddenly pinging Trishula just because the effect would aid them in a jam or something.
[b]Though you actually could do that easily since it's Trishula, but since it's a fanfic, I suppose it's better not to do that.[/b]

(All this is causing great aggrovation for the last duel of the arc. <_<)

Just want to use the new mechanic and cards, plus with Numbers being the 'cards of power' and serving as the big boss a lot of the time, Xyz will be the predominant mechanic. But look at it this way, it means you'll get to see loads of new cards that you haven't seen used in fic before.
[b]Actually, I've seen quite a few Xyz mechanics used in some fics over at FF.net, but since it's FF.net they get overshadowed by some custom Xzys, too. So, seeing it done without those will be quite nice.[/b]
[/quote]

I hate it when this site crashes. <_<

I get so unmotivated to write when its down (even though it is a massive distraction when its working).

Anyway, gonna post this now, slightly earlier than normal, as probably won't have much time later. Pieces are being moved into place on the battlefield, before it all starts to really kick off on Friday.

[spoiler=Chapter 2:1]
[b]The following takes place between 10AM and 11AM.[/b]

[i]“Have you found anything yet?”[/i]

Gadsby paused to consider before answering the call on his D-Gazer. He knew Clarissa wasn’t going to like the answer he was about to give, and there was no way of avoiding it. Standing in the empty nursery on the top floor of the building, having turned it and everywhere else they had looked upside down; he replied into the mic piece, “No ma’am. We’ve looked everywhere, there’s no-one here.”

Back in the operations centre, Clarissa ended the call without reply. She had suspected as much, but it was worth a try. Now as expected, things would have to be done the hard way. Now everyone would be made to suffer because of this company. Taking off her D-Gazer, she turned to see her brother driving himself into the boardroom the others had taken up to set as their base in, and followed him inside.

The hired computer technicians looked up for a moment as first Wilhelm, then Clarissa, entered the small boardroom. The doctor the president had referred to as Evos was standing over them watching proceedings as the men fired up their laptops and started opening various programmes of their own design. Another laptop was set up and left alone, which Wilhelm rolled up to as close as he could. There were some of Real Duel’s own computers against one wall, one of which Evos kept checking and typing into occasionally.

“How are we doing Hank?” Clarissa asked.

“It’s going smoothly so far. All the people logged on the computers out there are assembled in Real Duel’s online conference room. Twelve hundred people ready and waiting for our command...”

“How long until we can get them ready and operational for our use?”

The doctor polished his glasses as he checked another of the laptops. “We can transmit the control virus into the RDL staff whenever your brother is ready. But we need to get into the VDS servers first to shut down damage suppressors and the like before we can send them out for maximum impact. How long that would take depends on the security systems. We’re just waiting for you to give the order.”

“Good. Get it done” Clarissa’s order seemed to motivate the computer technicians to get a move on. Whilst they were frantically typing away at their work she turned to her brother, placing his laptop onto a fold-out shelf on his wheelchair. He didn’t move for a moment, just staring emptily at the screen like it wasn’t even there. Evos and the others couldn’t help but glance at him, waiting for him to react, before slowly he put his fingers to the keypad and started typing at alarming speed. All manner of screens were thrown at him; demanding passwords, codes, and all manner of security checks, before they vanished as the frail young man sailed through them with apparent ease. In less than a minute he leant back in his chair, smiling contently at the welcome screen bearing the company logo in front of him.

“Easy...” he wheezed, before leaning forward again and opening a few new programs. Clarissa leant in to look at the screen, watching his actions intently. “This is the company’s control matrix... the supposedly most securely guarded... control panel for operation settings of the VDS world...” he explained. “From here... I can have the ability to adjust the duelling world’s natural settings as we need... once everything else is in place... for me to do so...... How is the lock-in coming?”

A technician sitting across the table swallowed as Wilhelm’s miscoloured eyes flicked up to look at him. “It’s almost fully loaded sir.”

“Almost...?”

“I mean... give me a moment...” The man quailed under the siblings’ glares, hastily turning back to his computer. Verbal curses for it to hurry up were mumbled, before with a sigh of relief he was able to safely look at them again. “The lock-in program is installed. With it in place, users of the system won’t have the ability to log their selves out of it, and won’t be able to be logged out by an external source outside our control. Of course with users minds so deeply immersed into the virtual reality, if someone was to just pull off their D-Gazer whilst they were playing it would cause an incredible shock to them, resulting in severe brain damage, which people know not to do. In short, anyone who enters the VDS now will not be able to come out.”

Wilhelm rolled his eyes. “Thank you... for reminding us...” The technician buried his head back into his work, letting Wilhelm concentrate on his own. “Let’s see now... Virtual Duel settings...... Damage shock simulation control at default fifty percent... up to seventy five........ Damage simulation safety buffer... decrease from sixty to thirty percent... for now...... that is what you want right?”

“Yes, for now. We can make more radical changes later if we are forced to do so. I take it the changes will affect all duels that take place across the whole system, and not just those that our soldiers are involved in? I want to keep them veiled by a cover of mayhem and confusion for a little while so they can get a start on the task I have for them, whilst everyone is consumed by panic.”

Wilhelm nodded; an awkward motion for him. “That is easier for me, and...” His lopsided grimace of a smile returned “...I rather enjoy the idea of creating widespread panic.”

“How long will it take for the changes to take effect?”

“It’s a big system... It should take ten minutes or so for it all to fully adjust...... Anyone who is duelling when it does finish processing won’t have the alterations take place mid-duel, and will... only be subject to the increase in damage from their next match... but that’s no problem..... It’s not like they can escape now....”

“So we’re all set to send them out now?”

Wilhelm nodded, returning to his natural hunched stupor. Clarissa turned to Evos, who was sat at the company computer with a plug-in device in hand, waiting for the nod she gave him. Go ahead given, he started his task.

“Downloading virus data to RDL mainframe... complete. The drone profile data your brother and I created will spread to all of those computers in a few seconds, and into the minds of the people using them.”

With a satisfied nod, Clarissa left the room for a moment, walking back out on the platform overlooking the rows of people sat silently at the computers, where Wilhelm had completely defeated their leader minutes ago. His body had been taken away by one of Hasif’s men as per her instructions, to be disposed of by whatever means the man could manage. Probably down a disposal chute, that would be the most appropriate resting place for that man. Now all his employees were sat before her, about to fall under her command, to become her mindless soldiers with one order.

“Find them” she whispered to her unhearing drones. “And crush anyone who gets in your way...”

...10:08:23...

In the Real Duel Ltd network section that was exclusively for use of RDL staff, an area which resembled a large waiting room with a stage at one end, twelve hundred people were stood around anxiously waiting for Clarissa or Evos or for someone to tell them what they wanted. A few of them were chancing whispered exchanges, but most were silent. Amongst them were Bozu; shifting from foot to foot and looking around nervously, and Unmai; who was stood silently at the back, looking paler than normal, not talking to anyone.

Continuing to wait.

There was a ripple in the air above the stage, snapping everyone’s attention to the front. Complete silence filled the room.

The ripple happened again, and from it a dark cloud started to emerge. The white walls of the room darkened as the cloud reached the sides, spreading and corrupting everything it touched. The silence broke into screams of panic. Many tried to log out, only to their dismay find they were unable to escape and the smog was upon them. The cloud continued along the room, passing over the employees. As it did the people it enshrouded started to change. Clutching their heads and thrashing at the air as invisible things started to stab at their minds. Their bodies contorted, the black layer of some alien tar-like matter crawling and spreading over their skin, large bones starting to sprout grotesquely out of their backs. The corrupting substance reached and covered their faces; their horrified expressions becoming permanent masks, their eyes unseeing. The thrashing slowly ceased. The screaming slowly died.

...10:09:45...

The chime of the doorbell made Yudai jump off of the sofa he was lounged on with a start. Strange considering he’d been waiting for it for almost an hour, even though he knew she wouldn’t arrive until about now. The sound filled him with childish excitement even now, two years later, as he practically bounded through the house to the front door to let her in. Catching a last glimpse in the hallway mirror to check everything one last time (he looked good in his own opinion, hers was an entirely different matter), he pulled the door open and his face lit up.

“Hi Sakura. Glad you could come over.”

Smiling radiantly, a petite girl stepped through the doorway. Sakura was enviously pretty; with long brunette hair tied in a braided ponytail, alluring blue eyes, and a dainty figure that made any dress suit her; today’s choice being a casual look of comfortable white blouse, jean shorts and trainers. Dropping her bag, Sakura greeted Yudai with a hug and a quick kiss. The pair had been dating for two years; after he had asked her out after the grand soccer final at school. She had said later how embarrassing it was to be asked out by someone in footie kit covered in mud and sweat, but his exuberant mood at the time was infectious enough for her to say yes immediately, and the two had been the model couple at school ever since. Breaking from the embrace for a moment, Sakura waved at the expensive looking car parked at the bottom of the garden, which pulled away now she was safely inside. Her ride gone, the couple were able to enjoy a more private smooch.

“Your hair is still a mess” she said, disapprovingly running a hand through it. “It would look nice shorter.”

So much for his own thoughts then. “You’ve been telling me that for two years, I still haven’t listened yet.” She pouted theatrically at him, making him laugh. “Come on, do you want a drink?”

“Yes please, although I’m desperate to know what this big surprise is you’ve got for me” Sakura asked as she allowed Yudai to lead her towards the kitchen. The Morita’s house was a big place, as Yudai’s parents were both in highly paid jobs in the city.

“We’ll get there, just be patient.” Yudai grinned at another mock pout, serving Sakura her drink. “I haven’t seen you for a few days; I want to catch up with you first.”

Leaving their drinks ignored, the happy couple engaged in another exchange of kissing and holding.

...10:13:17...

“We going to tell anyone about those glowing cards that appeared?”

“Do you honestly expect anyone here to have an answer?” Garvan’s reply was what Daiki suspected. The two DCI’s had just arrived at the Metropolitan Police Building, a grand tower in Kasumigaseki district of downtown Tokyo, and were now in a lift to the upper floors. Now Garvan was standing next to him and had removed his riding jacket and helmet, it was clear that he was slightly taller and stockier than Daiki, with more of a hint of natural tan to his skin. He also took a lot more care in his appearance than Daiki did; wearing a smart shirt under his jacket to the others plain vest, and a neatly combed haircut to his messy tangle. A grimace currently marred his otherwise good-looking features.

“You can admit it you know? You’re obviously steaming because you lost.”

Garvan scowled at his colleague’s remark. “You just had to put me through all that effort chasing you down and trying to get you to come in. Making me pander to your silly fun, only to win by getting a lucky comeback on me, again. I hate it when you do that.”

Daiki didn’t reply. This wasn’t the first time Garvan had bemoaned a loss to him based on luck, and sometimes he couldn’t entirely blame him. He knew Garvan had got to where he was in duelling terms based on hark work and clever tactics, whereas he just seemed to have a sort of natural flair when it came to it. He couldn’t explain it, but he just had a habit of being able to get more out of his deck than should be possible for one of its structure. Daiki used a deck with an assortment of many different cards, mostly warrior types but some with little or no relation, that focused on quick combos to Xyz summon. People told him he should use different cards; cards with more synergy, that were more consistent. Then he would beat them. Besides he felt a connection with the cards he used, that they were special to him even if he didn’t know why, and didn’t wish to change. He knew Garvan felt the same way about his own cards from his enjoyment of duelling, although not to the same extreme.

“You misplayed Guard Block too, which annoys me” Garvan broke the pause. “Why not activate it the turn before? You’d have got a draw earlier and wouldn’t have the run the risk of being in the danger zone.”

“But then I’d have drawn and wasted Trident Warrior on defence, and would have probably lost” Daiki replied. There was an awkward pause as Garvan muttered something inaudible. “What was your face down anyway?”

"Gagaga Guard."

“I don’t get why you use that card. If you’ve got those two monsters on the field then they’re not going to hang around until your opponents turn. You’re a smart guy Garvan, much smarter than this job allows you to be. You could do anything you set your mind too, why this job?”

“It has uses” he grumbled as the lift doors slid open. “And yes, I am.”

Daiki shrugged, before following Garvan across the office floor they had arrived on. About thirty people worked up here, all as part of one team that they were part of, under the direct command of the superintendant general. Here they had the top technology, coupled with the top minds, available to the police force. The pairs own private offices were off somewhere to their left as they walked through the desks, heading towards the stairs at the back leading up to the office overlooking them.

“Hey Deymura-san.” Daiki’s greeting to a man in a smart blazer met only a mute wave, as Deymura Keylan did not look up from his computer. He was just like that, a bit too wrapped up in his work and quite unapproachable, but a very clever young man who had been able to quickly rise to this rank thanks to his abilities with computers. In front of him, a very matter-of-fact looking lady with her hair tied in a tight bob, oval glasses and wearing a smart business suit approached Garvan with a stack of papers.

“The prison sent these over to you to sign. You’re supposed to be going over there to observe them interviewing Kamishiiro this afternoon.

“Ah yes, thank you Ono-chan, I was looking for those.” The remark earned him a stern gaze.

“I’m not your secretary Zielinski-san. I have my own work to do other than file your paperwork while you’re tearing around the bay on that bike playing pointless card games. The general wanted him in nearly an hour ago.” Daiki stiffened as her stern gaze fell on him for a moment, before she strutted off.

“Yuri’s in a bad mood.”

“She’s always in a bad mood” Garvan snapped, hastily scribbling his signature on a few papers before dumping them on Keylan’s desk, much to his distain. “You see what you’ve got me into now?”

“I did no such thing.”

“Whatever. Let’s just get whatever he wants over with.” With that the two approached and ascended the back stairs, and waited for the superintendant general to call them in.

...10:17:17...

“Hey. What’s that?”

Something on the ground in front of Uchida Tei was glowing. A small object made up of pure light. Instinctively, hypnotised by the glow, the thirteen year old boy walked over the field to it and reached for it. He didn’t know what to think, he wasn’t thinking, just entranced by the strange object, but he was surprised he could pick up such a thing when he actually did so. As soon as he touched, a strange energy rippled from the object and through his body, shaking him from his trance.

“What in the world is this? A card?”

Tei looked around for anyone who could tell him what was going on. He had only starting using the VDS system a few weeks ago, and was still quite a novice player. But still he was enthusiastic, and everything about this place excited him. Currently he was exploring a vast exotic jungle area known as the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Naturia_Forest"]Naturia Forest[/url], a place that was packed with vibrant plants and wildlife. Unfortunately he couldn’t see anyone else around right now to ask what he had found. That didn’t necessarily mean there wasn’t people around, but when people duelled in the VDS, the vast majority chose to have private duels on their settings, meaning you had to be invited to watch their contests, and so they could concentrate on their opponent, the ARV would hide other people from your view. Although you could freely roam and interact with other people in the system, you could only do so with those not engaged in duelling. D-Gazers worked the same way in the real world, the exception being for Riding Duels for safety reasons that were obvious.

So for now at least, Tei was alone with his shining card shaped... thing. Except the shine was starting to fade. Blinking as the object changed, Tei was able to watch as the glowing aura of the object faded away, to finally unveil he was actually holding a card as he suspected. The background was black, indicating it was an Xyz monster, but something about it seemed different to the others he had. Something about the name, or the image maybe. Tei jumped on the spot, punching the air.

“Cool. I found a super special card all of my own...”

[i]‘A very special card indeed...’[/i]

Jumping out of his skin, Tei wiped round to see a figure had suddenly appeared behind him. A figure that he couldn’t quite make out, its body hidden by a dark cloak for the most part. A voice continued to emerge from somewhere deep within it. [i]‘That card is unlike any you have ever encountered before. It is something I’d very much like to possess. Perhaps you would like to duel for it?’[/i]

Confidence born from his find, along with sheer naivety, Tei activated the D-Disk on his left wrist. The VDS changed around him ever so slightly, forming an exclusive space for their contest. “You’re on. With my great new card, there’s no way I can lose.”

“Duel!”

...10:18:12...

Clarissa continued to lean unmoved on a rail on the edge of the raised platform, surveying her new minions. There was little to oversee. No-one was moving at all; just sat at the computers with a glazed look on their faces, their minds fully absorbed by the virtual world that their monitors and D-Gazers combined to generate and surround them with. Their hypnotised expressions were blank. Emotionless. Just what was needed for their task. Clarissa looked much the same, staring far into distance at some invisible scene before her, playing in the eye of her mind that was just beyond the reach of true reality. In this place, what was reality and what was fantasy, really?

“Ma’am?”

Clarissa was so far away with her thoughts she hadn’t noticed both Wilhelm and Evos emerge from the office and stop by her side, the doctor with an uncertain bow. His call dragged her back to attention in irritable fashion. “What?”

“The duel drones are fully operational and have been deployed across the VDS, and I’m pleased to inform you that we are seeing immediate results. They have thrown themselves right into battle, and the changes to the world are already taking their toll on the duelists unfortunate enough to stand against them. However there also many more potential targets than we expected there to be even at this early stage, all locked into the VDS. Even at this time in the morning, millions are online and their numbers can only go up.”

“Good” she replied curtly. “I don’t want anything to be realised yet, nothing that will alert the outside world to the danger and stop people from continuing to log in. The more people in the VDS, the more cover there will be for our soldiers to operate under, and the more leverage we will have later on. I can’t imagine we will have more than a few hours before we are exposed, but by then it will be too late.”

Evos shrugged, turning to look at the hundreds sat before him. “Aren’t humans easy to manipulate? With a little incentive or the right persuasion, you can make them do anything you want. They won’t care what they do if they get something from it for themselves, or are allowed to keep something. Humans truly are weak. Some may have a stronger body or mind compared to others of the kind, but...”

“Evos, why are both you and my brother out here when I specifically asked for the technicians to be never left alone at any time...?”

Grimacing uneasily from the reprimand, the doctor bowed curtly again and returned to their centre of operations. Once and only once when he was out of earshot, Clarissa crouched down to be on a level with her brother. “How are you holding up? The journey to Japan was strenuous for you.”

“No better... no worse...” he wheezed. “I could... ask you the same...?”

His miscoloured eyes bore into her brown ones. Taken aback by his question and stare, Clarissa paused for a moment, before drawing herself back to full height and looking back across the operations centre, at the people helplessly under her control, at the armed gunmen walking around the room.

“I don’t know what you mean. I have never felt better in so many years than I have today, and once I get what is mine, I will be even better.”

...10:22:12...

After a few minutes of waiting, one of the other high ranking officers emerged from the superintendants office that overlooked the rest of the room, giving them the go-ahead to go in. Daiki had been sat casually shuffling his deck, Garvan standing across from him with arms folded watching him in slight amazement. Keen to get to the bottom of whatever trivial matter he had been dragged in for and get it done, Daiki led the pair in as soon as he was allowed.

Sat at his desk was superintendant general Ryokan Shigeo. A broad shouldered man with a greying crew cut hairstyle and jutting jaw, the general was a fierce man, and a tough boss. One who would not take kindly to Daiki’s stubborn resistance to come in at his request. Indeed he did look ready to blow up at any second. The two officers stood across from the desk and greeted him. He’d didn’t get up.

“You took your sweet time” he growled. The two men shuffled awkwardly, Garvan muttering some poor excuse about difficulties. It was pointless trying to argue with him, so Daiki braved getting to the point.

“You wanted to see me sir?”

“Damn right Masuro. I wanted to see you over an hour ago, but you don’t answer your damn phone on your days off.” Scowling constantly, Shigeo reached into his desk and produced a remote that controlled a visual projection display that materialised in the air between them. Pulling up one of the screens by touch, the general opened a document on the screen for the pair to view. “This arrived in your inbox this morning, addressed as urgent, but since you weren’t in and we knew you wouldn’t look at your messages at home we opened it. Good job too, because it demands that you are to meet the sender at exactly twelve noon in an area of the VDS, known as Dark City or something or other, regarding a series of strange occurrences concerning the system and Real Duel Ltd, and important information on a threat to national security. You know anything about this?”

“No. We get dozens of these sent to us every week by kids and hackers and other idiots. Just because one is addressed to me, why should it be any different?”

“Indeed we do get a lot of hoaxes” Shigeo replied, waving the screen away. “But they’re easy to trace. However this one, the way it was sent, indicates the work of a professional hacker. They signed their name at the bottom too, which is what alerted us to the need to get you in to investigate. I assume you have heard of the Firefly?”

There was a long pause as the question sank in. As soon as it was asked, a dull numbing sensation overcame Daiki, strangling his ability to reply. The general was frowning at him, and Garvan had to kick him to stir a response.

“I... er... am aware of Firefly. One of Japan’s most wanted cyber criminals, who has evaded capture for over a year since Real Duel Ltd reported that their secure network had been breached by him, and several important files were stolen and deleted.”

Shigeo’s grey eyes were drilling into his skull, seemingly trying to pick out any more information that he might know, and did not relent even as he spoke. “Correct. Now we have been trying to decipher where this message originated from. Usually this would be easy, but Firefly is extremely elusive.”

“That would be why Keylan was in such a bad mood” Garvan sneered, before recoiling at the fierce look Shigeo shot him.

“Well since Keylan can’t find Firefly, we’ve got no choice but to treat this as a serious threat and play along. Masuro, I want you to rendezvous with Firefly at the appointed time and location. He might think he’s being clever organizing a meeting with us in the VDS, but once you establish contact, we might be able to get a trace on where he is logged in from so we can apprehend him.”

“Try anything and Firefly will know, and vanish. I can assure you of that” Daiki snapped more forcefully than he meant to. “Look, let me deal with it. I’ll meet him and report back to you with any information on this supposed threat, alright?”

“Well that was what I was hoping for. Report back to me the moment you get any solid lead on this thing. Garvan, you can return to your regular duties now.”

Leaving as quickly as they could, the two descended from the office and back through the rows of desks. Daiki was going for the lifts back down, until Garvan’s hand on his shoulder stopped him.

“Look, sorry about dragging you in like I did and not being straight with you. I would have told you if I’d have known what was happening.” He could tell that his awkward regret was not getting through, as Daiki had that distracted glaze in his eyes. As much as he tried to act all carefree, Garvan knew he was far from. He did have these moments where he seemed to drift away, and well as moments that were less tranquil. “You going to be alright?” he asked, snapping his colleague back into the world.

“Yeah... yeah of course. I appreciate your concern, but I’ll be fine. All I have to do is go to this meeting, see what Firefly has to say and go from there. I’ll be fine, really.”

“If you’re sure.” Garvan sounded less than convinced, but let him go. “Good luck with it.”

Daiki bade him a similar goodbye as he turned for the lift, whilst Garvan returned to his office.

...10:29:25...

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!”

The scream sent several bird-like creatures streaming out of the treetops. The cloaked figure was standing over the young boy lying still on the ground, a look of fear permanently fixed into his glassy eyes. A hand stretched out from under the cloak, reaching over Tei's D-Disk. As it did so, a small glowing object rose from the deck and floated upwards into the figures outstretched hand. Mission completed the figure vanished into thin air; to continue the quest he had been given. The one all-consuming goal which occupied his entire being. Leaving the small boy lying, frozen and still, alone in the forest.
[/spoiler]

Hope that everything in there went down alright.

Severely need a kick start with this. The first ten chapters are all pretty much nailed, but closing the arc has been such a pig because of the final duel of it. The first two of the second arc, which I've started plotting as a distraction, haven't gone well either.

Busy couple of days coming up, but will still be about to post Chapter 2:2 on Friday, when... [color=#ffffff]the Numbers finally debut...[/color]

Need I say it? Another great chapter. This one pulled me in a bit more, since we're hearing a lot more technical terms and seeing a bit more of this world you've cooked up for us. I have a feeling Daiki's little meeting won't be quite so easy as he believes (not that it would be a pleasant meeting over tea to begin with). Again, anticipating next chapter and hoping you'll manage to finish the arc.

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1328617095' post='5802322']
Again, wonderful job. Sorry for the lack of... um, criticism besides this. I do sense a bit of main character tease.
[/quote]

Thanks.

No worries, you're letting me know people are reading and enjoying it, that gives me some motivation to continue.

[quote name='Corona Ray' timestamp='1328618738' post='5802345']
Need I say it? Another great chapter. This one pulled me in a bit more, since we're hearing a lot more technical terms and seeing a bit more of this world you've cooked up for us. I have a feeling Daiki's little meeting won't be quite so easy as he believes (not that it would be a pleasant meeting over tea to begin with). Again, anticipating next chapter and hoping you'll manage to finish the arc.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not the most technically minded person when it comes to this sort of thing, that's why I've needed to talk to Saber a bit. It might sound simplistic to some, but on the flipside maybe not being overly technical is good? Who knows?

When is anything in YGO straightforward? :lol:

Er, hopefully should do in a timely manner. All I need to write is the duel. Once I write that I cvan write the aftermath of the duel, and everything that branches from there. I just can't write out of chronological order else I get lost. All I'm hoping to do this week is sort out these three duels and do some bio work, since I'll have little time to do anything else.

Archived