Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

[font=georgia,serif]Alright, I've just finished reading Chapter 1.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]I'm not the best reader, per se, because it's difficult for something to actually hold my attention for a long period of time, especially a much longer Chapter like this one was, but I made my way through the whole thing.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Few points to make first?[/font]
[list]
[*][font=georgia,serif]Your sense of description is unlike anything I've ever seen in a Fan-Fiction, with the exception of perhaps Umbra's LotT Chapter 15, but that's one exception. It was very, very well written.[/font]
[*][font=georgia,serif]I don't know what 24 is personally, but I do like how you've managed to get a few different plots going at once; that looks like it could be interesting, as long as you can keep up with it.[/font]
[*][font=georgia,serif]The duel was good. One of the things I struggle with personally is descriptions during duels, and it's to the point now where I won't go into it as much as I do plot, etc., because it just looks bad when I do it. You didn't struggle there, and the descriptions were really well done.[/font]
[*][font=georgia,serif]This is different from any YCM Fan-Fic I've seen in premise, as well, which means you have something unique and (if you can continue it) should be something that definitely stands out. (Of course, with your status, it's likely to stand out anyway, but I digress.)[/font]
[/list]
[font=georgia,serif]Okay, so here comes the critical part. It really struggled to hold my attention, and like Aggro said, I felt as though I wanted to stop reading at one point. That's nothing against your skills personally, but there was something about it that really seemed to stall for a while in the middle. I'm not sure what it was, but there was a sense of dragging. Personally, I write my Chapters at 2,100 words per Chapter, but that's just because I know that most people don't like to read a lot in a short period of time, so you're more likely to get readers that way.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]However, I realize that some people do it very differently, and there's no question as to your writing skills and how enjoyable it can be. I do think, though, that if you had split Chapter 1 up into two separate Chapters to allow some of the events to sink in, it might have been much easier to read and not feel like it was a project, as opposed to something I was reading for entertainment. Maybe it was just because it was in the introduction Chapter, and I could be totally wrong, which I guess I'll find out once I get to Chapter 2.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]I do like the characters, but I'm waiting for that one to really stand out, because as of Chapter 1, there's no clear-cut protagonist yet, which is good - as long as you don't hold out on introducing one or developing one[i] (Jin would be my guess) [/i][/font][font=georgia,serif]for too long.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Nice work.[/font]

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='- Sharpshooter -' timestamp='1328637031' post='5802595']
[font=georgia,serif]Alright, I've just finished reading Chapter 1.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]I'm not the best reader, per se, because it's difficult for something to actually hold my attention for a long period of time, especially a much longer Chapter like this one was, but I made my way through the whole thing.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Few points to make first?[/font][list]
[*][font=georgia,serif]Your sense of description is unlike anything I've ever seen in a Fan-Fiction, with the exception of perhaps Umbra's LotT Chapter 15, but that's one exception. It was very, very well written.[/font]
[*][font=georgia,serif]I don't know what 24 is personally, but I do like how you've managed to get a few different plots going at once; that looks like it could be interesting, as long as you can keep up with it.[/font]
[*][font=georgia,serif]The duel was good. One of the things I struggle with personally is descriptions during duels, and it's to the point now where I won't go into it as much as I do plot, etc., because it just looks bad when I do it. You didn't struggle there, and the descriptions were really well done.[/font]
[*][font=georgia,serif]This is different from any YCM Fan-Fic I've seen in premise, as well, which means you have something unique and (if you can continue it) should be something that definitely stands out. (Of course, with your status, it's likely to stand out anyway, but I digress.)[/font]
[/list]
[font=georgia,serif]Okay, so here comes the critical part. It really struggled to hold my attention, and like Aggro said, I felt as though I wanted to stop reading at one point. That's nothing against your skills personally, but there was something about it that really seemed to stall for a while in the middle. I'm not sure what it was, but there was a sense of dragging. Personally, I write my Chapters at 2,100 words per Chapter, but that's just because I know that most people don't like to read a lot in a short period of time, so you're more likely to get readers that way.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]However, I realize that some people do it very differently, and there's no question as to your writing skills and how enjoyable it can be. I do think, though, that if you had split Chapter 1 up into two separate Chapters to allow some of the events to sink in, it might have been much easier to read and not feel like it was a project, as opposed to something I was reading for entertainment. Maybe it was just because it was in the introduction Chapter, and I could be totally wrong, which I guess I'll find out once I get to Chapter 2.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]I do like the characters, but I'm waiting for that one to really stand out, because as of Chapter 1, there's no clear-cut protagonist yet, which is good - as long as you don't hold out on introducing one or developing one[i] (Jin would be my guess) [/i][/font][font=georgia,serif]for too long.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Nice work.[/font]
[/quote]

Thank you for the incredibly detailed review (feels guilty he hasn't caught up with Legacy yet :()

Hmmm... where about's in the middle? Any scene in particular? Starting to accept now that it was too long a chapter and some it should have been cut down on in terms of little unneccessary bits like Pika said. Just wanted to deal with everything concerning Clarissa's takeover done by that chapter.

Hmm... Jin will come into this steadily. I wanted to introduce him so he wouldn't come completely out of nowhere later. The other mains (you'll meet most of them when you read Chapter 2) will take most of the action to begin with, although I'm keeping it spread out this time.

PS: To all, I know it's early, but anyone got any suggestions of what they'd like background info on in terms of an extra chapter? That's kind of what I want to get down this week.

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328717372' post='5804438']
PS: To all, I know it's early, but anyone got any suggestions of what they'd like background info on in terms of an extra chapter? That's kind of what I want to get down this week.
[/quote]

Maybe something fleshing out the main characters some, like Daiki or Yudai. Daiki could be a story of how he became a police officer or when he decided to become one, Yudai can be a story on how he was before he met Sakura or maybe the story that led to their eventual union.

oright the chapter
It was good, I'm looking forward to more Yudai/Sakura because I'm a sucker for romance.
As for Daiki, I have a feeling he's the Firefly and someone's impersonating him. Or he at least knows the Firefly IRL.

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1328717372' post='5804438']
Thank you for the incredibly detailed review (feels guilty he hasn't caught up with Legacy yet :()

Hmmm... where about's in the middle? Any scene in particular? Starting to accept now that it was too long a chapter and some it should have been cut down on in terms of little unneccessary bits like Pika said. Just wanted to deal with everything concerning Clarissa's takeover done by that chapter.

Hmm... Jin will come into this steadily. I wanted to introduce him so he wouldn't come completely out of nowhere later. The other mains (you'll meet most of them when you read Chapter 2) will take most of the action to begin with, although I'm keeping it spread out this time.

[/quote]

[font=georgia,serif]Of course, you're one of the few people I've got no problem doing a full-on review for. Plus, this is a story I'd definitely like to keep up with so as not to get behind and have to read a bunch of Chapters at once. (Btw, I'm going on a straight-on path updating Legacy almost every two days with new Episodes, because this Season needs to be completed :P).[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]I don't think it was just one specific occurrence, you know? I'd say the infiltration process, some of it could have been glossed over a bit without so much detail (not that detail is bad, just that maybe some of it the reader could have figured out on their own, and would've in turn saved you a bunch of space).[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Like I said in that PM, I'm going to make an effort to read and review Chapter 2 this afternoon.[/font]

Aw, not that many comments on that last chapter compared to the others. :(

Well I had better make this one more epic. ;)

Chapter 4 sees stuff get serious now, focusing on a certain... young... innocent... couple, who are diving head first into another world of trouble.

Oh, and the small matter of Numbers debuting. And some cool monsters I haven't seen in fics on here yet. And Numbers.

[spoiler=Chapter 2:2]

Jin waved goodbye to the lady who he had helped carry her shopping to her car as she drove away. She had been a kind old dear, and had even tipped him for his efforts. It was only a few yen, but every coin could build up into a nice little stash for him to spend. Smiling to himself, he turned to return inside.

He almost walked straight into the taller, dumpier kid behind him, the sight of whom immediately made him curse mentally. He knew Jaku Shibo from his class at school, one of his regular tormentors.

“Oh isn’t that sweet, runty little Jin? That old lady must have been feeling especially pitiful today to waste her change on someone like you. Well it looks far from enough to get you dinner for you and your mother tonight, not that she needs the food!” Shibo laughed at his own joke as Jin stood there, silently fuming. “Better that you just hand it over to me now, rather than have me beat you up for it.”

[i]“I think you should leave the premises young man, before I call the police and they take you home.”[/i]

The two children turned to see one of the store supervisors, Mr Kashiwa, standing in the doorway. He was glaring furiously at Shibo, who simply shrugged and walked away. “Whatever. See you later runt.”

Rooted to the spot, caught somewhere between furious anger and crying, Jin watched him go until Mr Kashiwa ushered him back inside the store and into the back of the bakery area, where he could help out and be spared on looking gazes of customers until he regained calm. He was saying words that Jin could not hear, as one prevailing thought blocked out everything else.

[i]‘I hate this.’[/i]

...10:30:59...

“Why am I not surprised?”

“Surprised about what?”

“That the surprise you have for me just [i]happens[/i] to be waiting in your bedroom?”

Yudai blushed. Yes, he guessed that did look a bit suspicious and could be taken the wrong way, but there was really nothing he could do about that, not without a lot of needless heavy lifting and irritating his parents. Following him up the stairs, Sakura smiled playfully, just to reassure him that her comment was in no way distrustful or a put down. Still every step towards it made Yudai a bit more nervous. He hoped she would like what was waiting for her as much as he did. Entering the bedroom, Sakura’s eyes eagerly searched around for her surprise.

“Nothing looks different or like a surprise. Have you hidden it somewhere?”

Yudai blushed nervously again, sitting on the desk across the room from her. “No, it’s... actually right in front of you.”
Sakura followed his nod to the machine that was next to him. A Real Duel Ltd duelling terminal, Yudai’s own model that she had seen him use many times before, used with him and watched him duel in the world of the VDS many times before. The machine was designed to be very classical in its appearance, like the arcade machines of old; in that it had a wide black screen that sunk deep into the tall stand and a control panel that was mainly used for starting up as well as browsing and editing modes. Where it differed where the four plug in slots spread out at each end of the control panel, and away from the terminal itself, Sakura knew there were four small round devices placed in each corner of the room. In an arcade, these devices would be on pillars standing at the corners of a small raised floor that indicated the playing space for that machine. These devices helped project the sight and sound of the surrounding virtual reality environments that were so fantastic and varied. Still, Sakura didn’t see anything different about this, and was confused by Yudai pulling up two chairs, and switching on the machine. A welcome screen appeared and he started navigating through it.

“I don’t understand. What is it we are doing?”

“Well...” Yudai hesitated as a dreadful awkwardness overcame him with Sakura’s confusion. “What I was kind of thinking was... I know you watch all my major duels and support me in them..., but maybe if I created a profile and a deck for you, you could join in too, and we could play together like...” His voice trailed off. Actually, saying this to her now made it sound suddenly lame, not how he’d imagined it being, especially given her now underwhelmed look.

“Well... yes, I do watch you and support you, because I know how much you love the game and how much inspiration you get from seeing me beside you when you’re fighting, but I’ve never really wanted to get involved in it much myself. I have nothing against it, it’s just... I don’t think it’s for me, you understand?” Yudai’s face fell slightly, prompting her to stroke his face reassuringly. “Besides, I’m sure you wouldn’t get much of a thrill duelling an amateur like me, Mister Champion.”

Yudai grinned, his eyes flicking just for a moment at one of the trophies over her shoulder; a large golden cup with a lid and handles. The plaque on the large mahogany base read ‘East Asian Duel Monsters Grand Champion, 2058, Morita Yudai’.

“I would find no greater honour than teaching you, and introducing you to such a fantastic world” he replied. Sakura still looked unsure, even as he held her hand. “Please, just give it a try. If we have a go and you still think that it’s not for you then I’ll drop it, I promise.”

She was not thrilled with the idea, but she could see what Yudai was trying to accomplish with what in his head was a great idea. He wanted them to share in something that he was passionate about, as a couple, she could get that. He must have worked hard to set this up for her, and then worked himself up to suggest it. Maybe she should just have a go, for him. It couldn’t hurt just to try. “And I doubt I could find a greater teacher. Okay, I’ll try.”

Her reassuring smile heartened him in an instant. “Thank you. Maybe once you experience what I have done, you’ll understand the rush it gives me and you might like it too.” Sakura gave him a look that he interpreted as ‘don’t push your luck’, but it was a start. Taking his D-Gazer from a drawer along with a couple of leads, he plugged one end into the terminal and the other into his eyepiece, before doing the same with the D-Gazer Sakura produced from her bag. Making sure she was sat comfortably, Yudai selected the ‘Enter VDS World’ option, set the area to random and pressed enter, before diving into his own chair beside her. She grabbed his hand, as the bedroom slowly pulled away, and they were submerged into the virtual reality surrounding them in its place.

...10:32:35...

Rolling out of the parking lot and into the open street, Daiki barely registered the traffic passing in front of him. His head was a blur right now. In just a little over the last half an hour, he had first experienced one of the strangest things he had ever witnessed, something he still had no idea about what had happened. Then just now, he had received this message from Shigeo. One that he was so amazed by, something he had never expected to come, as well as a few other feelings that conflicted with each other. He hoped he hadn’t acted too suspiciously in front of the general. Shigeo would definitely hold nothing back if he had the chance to secure the arrest of a wanted criminal, and the Firefly was pretty high on the list of most wanted at the office.

Managing to shake himself out of his daze long enough to catch a gap in the traffic, Daiki set off through the streets. The rendezvous point was in area of the VDS, to which he could log onto from pretty much anywhere. But with well over an hour until the appointed meeting time, he might as well drive home and log on from there. That would give him some time.

Time to think.

...10:32:51...

Sakura blinked a few times as the sensation of the virtual world appearing before her eyes, building in her mind from the signals being sent to it via the now invisible terminal and the four surrounding projectors. Yudai’s bedroom had disappeared, to be replaced by endless blue skies and a great sun. She was still sitting on the chair, but it had vanished with the room, instead she found herself sat on stone steps that, as she looked down them, disappeared into a blanket of clouds below her. She knew this area; the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary_in_the_Sky"]Sanctuary of the Sky[/url] was somewhere she had watched Yudai duel before. All the areas in the VDS system were designed on field magic cards that existed in the game, and were all linked together in a massive world. In theory, they could walk down those steps to a new area, and if they kept going would walk through several completely contrasting areas, although that was needless as warping directly from area to area was how most got around. It was simply a possibility in this advanced system. Now aware of her surroundings, she looked up at the magnificent sight she knew was waiting for her, the divine stone temple that stood at the peak of the mountain.

A little way up the stone steps was Yudai, smiling down on her as he posed theatrically. He had changed a little too. His shirt and jeans had been replaced with a garb of purest white; a smart tunic with a gold belt and gauntlets, smart trousers with long white boots, and a cloak that swayed a little in the simulated wind. On his arm was a white D-Disk with more dashes of gold.

“You look beautiful in that” he said with a nod.

Blushing, Sakura looked down at herself. Her outfit had changed to. She was wearing a female version of the same all-white outfit as Yudai, with a short-sleeved tunic and long silk-like gloves covering her arms up over the elbow, and a short skirt and knee-high short-heeled boots. On her left arm was a smaller version of the same D-Disk. Her blushing suddenly increased.

“Yudai! Could you have been anymore of a... immature boy giving me this?”

“I only customized it a little” he chuckled as he came down the steps to where she was now standing, taking her hand. Aside from his clothes, he appeared the same here as he always did. In the VDS world, players appeared exactly as they were in the real world, in terms of their face and figure. The company took the decision of not allowing players to change their actual appearance for two reasons: because the system had enough work to do generating the world without having to deal with the crazy alter ego appearances people would doubtless create, but also to avoid players using the world as escapism. There had been concerns that some might shun their real life and the person they were, in favour of their fantasy persona in this fantasy world, and being unable to change anything more than your clothes was taken as a step to eliminate this potential danger. A full wardrobe of costumes was available for players to buy and customize using their winnings, and many other accessories were available that gave duelists some limited individuality. Sakura couldn’t help but feel slightly embarrassed by her sudden change into this no doubt graceful but also somewhat enticing garb, but Yudai was honestly sincere.

“I’m serious; you look really beautiful in it” he repeated to assure her. “But if you want to change it, we can do so. Oh by the way, here is a deck I made for you.” From the pocket of his trousers, he took a small stack of cards, and put them in Sakura’s D-Disk for her. “These cards are like my own. I got them as a promotional gift for winning the championship, and they’re very rare around here, so I... thought you might like them. I hope you do. Most beginners start with a really substandard build, but I had a ton of points I could spend on getting it to a pretty competitive level.”

Sakura gave him an odd look as she was unsure how to respond to such a gift. “Thanks. I didn’t realise you could spend your points on another player like that.”

Yudai grinned sheepishly. “Well, technically I can’t. You’re not allowed to exchange points with other players too freely, as it would be manipulated to give groups of friends an unfair advantage. I was able to buy you the dress as a gift though, and I bought the cards on my account and traded them to yours. Even that’s a bit questionable, but I can always argue I was giving you limited cards I had in spare for things I didn’t have in my collection.”

“Well... okay. Just as long as you’re not going to get penalised for my sake.”

“Honestly, it wouldn’t matter to me even if they took my title away, if it was for doing something for you. C’mon, let’s go explore.” Taking her hand, Yudai began to charge up the stone stairs with boyish enthusiasm, pulling her along in tow. The sensation of running here was still odd to her. She knew full well that she was still sat in Yudai’s bedroom, yet every sense told her she was running up these steep steps. Even knowing that she was sat still, a part of her brain was completely under the illusion of laborious exercise, so much so that she discovered when they reached the top and she had to lean against a pillar to catch her breath, her breath had actually quickened slightly and she felt a little tired.

Yudai allowed her time to recover, bolting under the great marble arch that towered over them, looking around at the dozens of other people milling around the giant stage. There was probably many more around, but they would not appear to them when they were duelling with private settings. Indeed that was why people were disappearing into thin air as they stood before a challenger, or reappearing either with their hand raised in victory or face down on the stone exhausted by defeat. Yudai continued to cast around, searching for a suitable opponent.

“Hey you” he called out to some duelists who were standing around talking. “Any of you fancy a match against me and my girlfriend? She’s here for the first time as a duelist today.”

While Yudai was trying to find suitable opponents, Sakura continued to take in her new surroundings. Very close to where she was standing, two more duelists re-appeared to public view following a duel. They were both younger, dark-skinned boys in rich clothing, probably both players from India. Sakura watched the boy who was standing; he must have been the winner of their bout, who was staring at the other he had faced in complete terror, his chest heaving violently as he looked down at the still form lying near the pillar. He glanced up and caught sight of Sakura; his panic filled eyes locked with hers wide open with surprise. The fearful stare was held for a long second, before to her bewilderment he gave a yelp and disappeared. The other boy stirred slightly, heaving himself into a sitting position against a pillar next to her, and sat there in silence holding his arm. She was about saying something to him, but at that moment Yudai returned in a huff and distracted her.

“Bah, everyone here can see who I am. They can see my rank, my title, everything, and its making them run off. Mind you I can see their information on my D-Gazer too, and am trying to select weaker duelists for you to practise with. They might think I’m trying to bully them or something.”

In a way, Sakura felt glad. Maybe if they couldn’t find anyone who wanted to fight them, they could log out of the system and do something else. There were other things that she wanted to do with Yudai today. But still, seeing the disappointment on his face, hearing it in his voice, softened her a little. She shook him by the arm to try and raise him. “Hey, why don’t we look inside? Maybe they’ll be someone in the temple who we can face.”

Yudai liked that idea, and allowed her to lead him running into the depths of the great temple.

...10:36:16...

There was a knock at the door, to which Izura admitted the person to enter. The prime minister had stepped outside for a smoke, leaving her and Kenji in the office. Kenji was craving a cigarette himself, but the chance to chat to Izura (who very much disliked smoking) was not one to pass up. A young man entered, one who he didn’t recognise. The man gave Izura a curt bow, passed her a piece of folded paper, and promptly left. Much to Kenji’s surprise.

“The post chutes not working today or something?” he asked. Indeed, all paperwork was sent around the building via the postal centre by a series of tubes (and paper messages were a rare occurrence to begin with in a world of computers, with letters replaced by electronic recording devices that displayed and read out messages). Izura opened up the paper, and smiled.

“No, this is a personal message. My little girl is about to go into theatre.”

Kenji spluttered on his tea. “What? They’re delivering [i]that[/i] by paper post? What?”

“Oh no you misunderstand Fujita-san; it’s actually from my daughter.” Izura showed him the note, written in multiple coloured crayon and with a child’s drawings of the sun and two smiling people. “My daughter was born with major heart defects, and has spent much of her young life at a hospital near here. She has undergone all the major surgery to correct it now, and is having a minor operation just to clear things up today. I’m going to visit her when they’re done. Hopefully it should be her last one. She must have had quite a fuss about making sure this got to me personally.”

“Oh I see” Kenji replied a little weakly, not quite sure how to react to such information. “Well, I’m glad that’s she going to be all clear soon.”

Izura smiled kindly in thanks, making him flustered inside. Before either could say anything more the prime minister returned through the door, focusing them back on their work.

...10:37:22...

Inside the temple it was an empty coliseum, quite dark with only a large rectangular hole in the roof letting in the light, casting away the darkness from the centre of the room a little. Much to the pair’s surprise, there was nobody in here at all, not that they could see anyway. Sakura turned to Yudai and shrugged.

“Sorry, but I don’t think this is working out.”

“Yeah, maybe you’re right. Maybe we should log out and do something you want to do. Our usual coffee place right?”
Sakura’s nod made him sigh inwardly. This hadn’t turned out as he’d hoped, but if she wasn’t enjoying it then continuing would be folly. Depressed, he turned to leave with her.

The figure that suddenly appeared in his path made him jump back in surprise. From seemingly out of nowhere, this character had walked up right behind them completely without detection and was standing only a few feet away in the semi-darkness, which was enough alone to make him and Sakura jump without considering his appearance. The figure was tall, about the same height as Yudai, and was dressed head to toe in a bulky black cloak and a hood was draped over its head. Even still he could tell the figure was staring at them.

A rasping voice came from under the hood “You are the East Asian Champion, Morita Yudai. Correct?”

Yudai felt Sakura’s hand tighten around his arm a little bit as they stood under the gaze of this other player. “That’s what the profile showing up on your D-Gazer says isn’t it? But yes, I am Yudai. What is your name, and what business do you have with me?”

A strange noise came from under the hood, a sort of quiet mocking laugh contorted with rasping and heavy breathing. The player seemed quite excited by this confirmation. “Why... great champion, I carry no knowledge of a name other than the title that accompanies my profile, and even if I did it is of little concern. It is such an honour to meet such a skilled young man as yourself, you and your lovely companion.” Sakura actually stepped behind Yudai as the unknown player looked at her. “I see you are looking for someone to duel. Perhaps the champion would let me have the privilege?”

“Yudai, I don’t like this guy. Don’t do it” Sakura whispered into his ear. Quietly he agreed.

“Sorry, but we were just leaving. There are plenty of others out there, if you can stand the sunlight. Good day.” Yudai made to walk around the figure, but he simply stepped, no, slid... almost glided, back in front of his path. He was almost certain the figure was giving him the most inhumane grin.

“I am afraid you leaving this place is no longer possible. I am also not remotely interested in wasting my time with those lowly duelists. My mistress’s time is precious, and my mission must be fulfilled as swiftly as possible. I must seek out and fight only those worthy of having the power of the Numbers bestowed upon them, and obtain them to give to her. As the grand champion, you are certainly an ideal person to have been given such power. Now face me if you dare with your Numbers on the line, or else you are not worthy of your title.”

“Mistress? Mission? Numbers? What the bloody hell are you babbling on about?” The figure just quietly laughed at Yudai’s questions, that same rasping, almost inhumane cackle. A nerve twitched in his temple. “Answer me” he shouted, and with none forthcoming, he lost his temper. Without thinking he stepped forward at speed, and before the player could react delivered a swift strike, his fist connecting sweetly on the chin. The cloaked figure fell backwards, the hood flying of his head. Sakura gasped. Yudai mouthed something in mute horror.

The figure was not human. Where the face of a man should have been was instead the snarling face of something part man, part creature. Half of the face was covered by a mask that looked like it was carved out of stone, with cracks streaking across its cheek and jaw, both it and the half exposed skin jet black. Even its cropped hair, the small horns on its head, and its teeth; short and pointy, were the same consistent colour, making it look even more like a moving statue. The snarling (even though its mouth was fixed in one position) creature stood and in a swift motion threw off the cloak, to reveal a similarly black tunic of rags covering parts of its cold stony skin. Even its eyes were black, dead and unseeing. A D-Disk rested on its left arm. A pair of black feathery wings extended from its back, released by the removal of the cloak. A dark angel.

“Yudai. I thought you said players couldn’t create characters like that.”

“They can’t. This isn’t an ordinary player. Maybe a promotional character for something? Either way I really don’t think we should duel it.”

“You speak like you have a choice anymore!” The angel snarled at the pair of them as it stood, before in a blur of incredible speed it threw out its arm towards Yudai. From the D-Disk shot a streak of energy, like a rope or lasso of sorts, which before he could react shot into his own disk. Yudai struggled against the pull of it, but was powerless to throw it off before it vanished. “This D-Anchor ensures that our prey cannot escape this battle until one of us is defeated. And just to make things more interesting...”

The angel demon tipped back its head and, still without its stony mouth moving, let go an ear-piercing scream like a banshee, one that forced the two to cover their ears. Immediately the summons was answered, as through the gap in the roof descended a second stone angel on the feathered wings. Identical to his companion in every regard, the second creature released a second D-Anchor, which hit Sakura’s D-Disk before she could move.

“Yudai! Help!”

“Bastard! Let her go!”

“You two need all the help you can get now” said the second creature, mocking the furious glare Yudai was giving it. “In this tag duel, each player will duel as a separate entity; with an individual field, cemetery, and life point’s total. The match will end when both players of either team are eliminated. Now you will cower before us, as we take your Numbers and deliver you to your ultimate fate!”

[i]‘ARV established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

A green light flashed on the D-Disk of the original creature, indicating that a randomizer had allocated him the first turn. Somewhere over and behind its head, the ARV vision created a display screen that showed the name and life point totals of each player. For this duelist it bore the ominous title ‘Azrael’.

“I begin. Magic card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Photon_Veil"]Photon Veil[/url]" the creature declared. “This returns three light attribute monsters in my hand to my deck, in exchange for another three. However they must all have the same name. Then I set one monster in defence mode.” The reverse of a card appearing horizontally to Yudai and Sakura. “I also place one card face down. Turn end.”

A second green light appeared on Yudai’s D-Disk, forcing him to go first for their team. This did not sit well with him, as he studied his hand. [i]‘Usually I would go all out on the attack with this sort of hand and attempt to win this turn, but under tag rules only the last person to take their turn can attack. That’s now going to be Sakura. What I could try is weakening this guy’s defence. Then hopefully Sakura will be able to follow up with a direct attack. I just hope she can cope alright with these guys trying to put the frighteners on us. If they guess she’s new to this, they’ll be sure to go after her and really crank up the pressure. I can’t let that happen. I have to give her the confidence to fight these guys and win.’[/i]

“I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Summoner_Monk"]Summon Priest[/url] to the field” Yudai declared, shaking himself out of his concerns as the wizened monk appeared before him (Lv4, DEF 1600). “Then I activate his effect; discarding a magic card from my hand to special summon from my deck the tuner monster, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Prism"]Vairon Prism[/url]."

The creature that appeared before him was a machine of divine creation, its white and gold body emitting its own heavenly glow (Lv4, ATK 1500). The Vairon, produced as a series of monsters whose legend told of them descending from the heavens to bring absolute judgement to a warring world, were the cards Yudai had used to win his championship. Trying to set up a fast one turn kill using powerful upgrades was their main style of play, although that plan was stifled for now. Instead he would go another way. “Now I control a tuner monster, I can use it with my other monster to perform a Synchro summon, and summon a Synchro monster from my extra deck whose level equals the combined total of the monsters I use, like this.” Prism’s body dissolved into a series of stars and rings, which the monk disappeared through. “I tune Vairon Prism and Summon Priest to Synchro summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Epsilon"]Vairon Epsilon[/url]."

A huge mechanical angel like being appeared over his head (Lv8, ATK 2800). Sakura stared up at it in a mix of awe and fear. The two opposing creature’s expressions remained fixed. “Next I equip Epsilon with the equip magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Material"]Vairon Material[/url] which boosts its attack, but that’s really irrelevant because by using Epsilon’s effect to send it to the cemetery, one monster you control is destroyed.”

As the facedown card exploded in a blast of right, Yudai caught a brief glimpse of a small cylindrical creature before it disappeared. He recognised it, and it caused him to scowl. “When a Vairon magic card is sent to the cemetery, I can add another one to my hand. I choose and equip [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Segment"]Vairon Segment[/url]. This card stops Epsilon being targeted by traps and monsters effects. That’ll do for now.”

“My turn then” declared the second creature that had chained itself to Sakura with that strange ‘D-Anchor’ thing. On the display behind it, the name given to this creature was ‘Metatron’. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Reactor_RE"]Magic Reactor AID[/url] to the field.”

A snake like machine floated over the dark creatures head, with its blood crimson bodywork concealing an array of explosive devices (Lv3, ATK 1200). “Then I place one card face down. Turn end.”

[i]‘Alright then, that means it’s my turn. I can do this’[/i] Sakura breathed to herself. She drew without comment, furiously studying her cards. Her hand comprised of a few monsters, each resembling a noble warrior like creature in white armour, along with other cards she recognized as traps and magic. [i]‘Ok, the first creature has no monsters out, so I could attack him directly and do lots of damage. The other one has a weak monster out. If I attack it I’d do less damage, but it might prevent him from building up his strategy. Maybe... oh I don’t know. Well either way, I have to start by summoning.’[/i]

“I summon the monster called [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Dabaran"]Sacred Dabaran[/url] in attack” she called nervously, placing with great care the card on its appropriate place on the D-Disk. To her amazement a shower of stars appeared right before her eyes, and from the light emerged a warrior in the form of a mighty bull. Shaking its horned helmet, cape billowing behind it, razor ring weapon in hand, a member of the race known as the Sacred; a group of saviours from beyond the stars who each represented a sign of the zodiac (Lv3, ATK 1300). Yudai nodded approvingly.

“Good Sakura. Now activate its effect.”

“It’s effect?” Sakura blinked, reading the text on the card again. “Oh right, yes, I can do that. When Dabaran is normal summoned, I can then summon a level three Sacred monster from my hand. I have one called [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Sheratan"]Sacred Sheratan[/url], so I summon him.” A smaller warrior in armour based on a ram appeared beside the bull (Lv3, ATK 700).

[i]‘Wait a minute. Now I control two monsters that have the same level. This means I can overlay my two monsters to summon an Xyz monster.’[/i] Sakura looked to Yudai for an answer, who nodded vigorously that she was going the right way. Decided, Sakura was about to look through her extra deck for an appropriate monster she could summon, until she noticed another card. [i]‘Oh wait, there’s this card. It says when I Xyz summon a Sacred monster when it’s on the field, I can draw a card. I guess that’s helpful and I should play that first.’ [/i]

With growing confidence in her ability to do this, Sakura selected the card and placed it into a slot on the D-Disk blade. “I activate the permanent magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Sign_of_the_Sacred"]Star Sign of the Sacred[/url]. With this card on the field...”

“Magic Reactor’s effect activates” interrupted the angel Metatron before her, stunning her. Even more bewildering was the horrified look that had appeared on Yudai’s face. “Once a turn when a magic card is activated, it will destroy it. Then you take eight hundred points of damage!”

“Wait, what!?” Sakura could only watch as one of the explosive missiles dropped from the machine towards the image of her spell, blasting it to smithereens. As the flames of the destruction blazed in front of, Sakura could feel them burning into her skin, the force of the blast knocking her off her feet. Shocked at the realism, she found herself struggling for breath and clutching her arm (LP 3200).

Yudai was looking at her in complete horror. “Sakura, are you alright?”

“I... think so. I just wasn’t... expecting the damage to feel so strong.”

Yudai didn’t look convinced as she stood up again. “Ok, if you are sure. You’re doing fine; just make sure you concentrate on what your opponent is doing. You can’t play magic cards with that monster on the field, or you’ll take damage. Magic Reactor, see?”

Furious with herself, Sakura tried to regain her composure. [i]‘Alright, I made a mistake, but it’s alright as long as I don’t make any more. Now I was going to Xyz summon a monster next, I must try to summon the strongest monster I can and take out that monster before it causes more harm’[/i]. As it turned out there was only one monster she could summon, as the monsters before her dissolved into sparks of white light spiralling upwards and plunging into a vortex of stars. “I Xyz Summon, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Hyades"]Sacred Hyades[/url]." Seemingly a combination of Dabaran and another monster, the warrior appeared with twin swords in hand (Rk3, ATK 1900). “Now Hyades, attack Magic Reactor!”

Instantly Yudai’s face fell in alarm again. “Sakura, not that one!”

Too late. The shining warrior had already lunged towards its target, taking a mighty swing at the floating machine. The blade sliced through the metal body with seeming ease, the creature emitting a scraping screech so intense that it forced Sakura to cover her ears. There was an explosion, then nothing. Sakura glanced from the billows of smoke to Yudai, unable to understand the look of fear.

That was until the smoke cleared, and she could see the Magic Reactor floating before the wicked creature controlling it. Its face still hadn’t changed, but the air of smugness was apparent (LP: 3300)

“But... Hyades was stronger... why was it not destroyed?”

“Because I activated the trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fake_Explosion"]Fake Explosion[/url] the creature answered. “When you declare an attack, I can activate it to save any monsters targeted by that attack from destruction. Then after damage calculation, I can then summon from my hand [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Summon_Reacor_SK"]Summon Reactor AI[/url] To her despair, a large bomber style plane appeared beside the other machine (Lv5, ATK 2000). Ashamed of her second costly mistake, Sakura tried to look away from it and from Yudai, who was trying his best to keep her calm.

“Sakura, its fine. We can deal with it. Just calm down and set any traps you might have handy.”

Swallowing, Sakura gave her hand one last look. Indeed there were two trap cards, called [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Haunted"]Cry of the Living Dead[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_Force"]Holy Barrier - Mirror Force[/url]. They both seemed powerful, but she had already made so many mistakes, what if she did something wrong again? What if she set them both and they both got destroyed before she could use them they would be wasted. But she couldn’t just do nothing, that would be foolish. She looked at Mirror Force again. If one of the creatures bought out a monster stronger than her Hyades and attacked, it would destroy not only that monster, but everything else the duo had in attack, clearing the field for Yudai to strike. The chances of that were good, if they underestimated her. Leaving Cry of the Living Dead alone for now, she selected her trap.

“I place one card face down” she tried to sound as strong as she could, with little success. “Turn end.”

Azreal: LP 4000, Hand 3, Field of a face down
Yudai: LP 4000, Hand 3, Field of Vairon Epsilon equipped with Segment
Metatron: LP 4000, Hand 3, Field of Summon Reactor AI and Magic Reactor AID
Sakura: LP 3200, Hand 2, Field of Sacred Hyades and a face down

“My turn” Azreal declared with relish. “Now there is nothing to hold me back from the attack. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Batteryman_AAA"]Battery Man Single Four Type[/url]." A small creature made from batteries to resemble a human form appeared, a weak creature in attack, much to Sakura’s surprise and Yudai’s disturbance (Lv4, ATK 0). “When this monster is normal summoned, it will summon another copy of itself from my hand or cemetery, so now I’ll revive the monster destroyed by Vairon Epsilon last turn. Then I activate the permanent trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Offering"]Compensation of Blood[/url], paying five hundred of my life points to summon the third Battery Man Single Four Type from my hand.” (LP 3500)

“Now he controls three level four monsters” Yudai grimaced.

“That’s right.” The creature was shuddering slightly; its voice descending into a hysterical cackle, as a purple aura appeared around it. The movement became more violent as the three battery creatures disappeared, heralding the monster that the creature was about to summon. The couple held their breath as one by one the spark of the monsters essence flew into the dark vortex, each one causing a small explosion, the creatures watching it with mad relish as Azreal’s voice became even more maniacal. On the back of its hand appeared a pair of glowing symbols. Numbers. “Your Numbers will be ours, after we end your pathetic resistance with mine. I summon the divine engine of destruction, appearing in a blinding spectrum of light that will extinguish yours. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_16%3A_Ruler_of_Color_-_Shock_Ruler"]Number 16: Ruler of Colour - Shock Ruler[/url]!"

Rising out of the vortex, it first appeared a large purple cube. But that soon changed as it transformed into a strange beast. A bulky body made from violet plate like armour that spread out like a pair of wings. Fully out of its shell and floating unmoving by some mysterious power in the darkness of the temple, the creature’s stony face stared down emotionlessly at the young pair looking back in horror (Rk4, ATK 2300). On the underside of its body, the number 16 could just be seen, matching the symbols on Azreal’s hand.

“Yudai, what is that?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never seen anything like it, or heard of a Number before.”

“Well then allow me to explain for you with a practical demonstration” roared Azreal. “I activate the effect of Number 16. By detaching an overlay unit, I can declare a type of card, and prevent all cards of that type being activated until the next end phase. Naturally, I select trap cards. Now Shock Ruler, destroy the girl’s insignificant monster.”

Mirror Force sealed by the monsters power, Sakura was unable to protect herself. Yudai couldn’t protect her. He could only watch helplessly as the Number monster charged, tearing up the stone floor with the hard edge of its wings as it came. The Sacred warrior dived in front of her to shield her, but was little resistance against the force of the monster that slammed into it. The force of the impact knocked Sakura down for the second time (LP 2800). Only this time she was struggling to get back up.

“I place one card face down” the demonic duelist finished simply. “Your turn champion. Bring everything you have. Show us all of your power. Summon your Number, for all the hope that it might bring you.”

For the first time in all his time duelling, Yudai felt his hand shake as he reached to his deck. For the first time, he was genuinely afraid. For reasons he couldn’t explain, the presence of this unknown creature that was staring pitilessly down at them, submitted to the will of these two demon creatures, filled him with dread. Sakura was on the floor beside him struggling to move, gasping for his help.

[i]‘Sakura’s hurt. Really hurt. Something about this whole setup is making her more affected by taking damage here than I’ve ever known. Everything about this, something is really wrong. There’s more at stake in this duel than we realised, and Sakura is in no state to deal with it if they keep targeting her. If I don’t do something on my next turn to protect us, who knows what will happen to us...’[/i]

10:59:58... 10:59:59... 11:00:00...
[/spoiler]

So... comments...

[spoiler=PS]
If you wanted to know more about what the angels are based on, they are a cross between Necron from FFIX, and the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who, which I find to be the scariest things in existance (no joke, I hate those things). [/spoiler]

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1328900779' post='5808676']
Nice work.
[/quote]

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1328917341' post='5809300']
Why didn't Sakura use Sheratan's effect?

Other than that, seems awesome.
[/quote]

[quote name='IceDorago' timestamp='1328924485' post='5809609']
So, I just read 2:1 and 2:2. Nice reads as usual.
[/quote]

Short and sweet likes, thank you very much.

f***, if everyone likes this so much, I really have to get a wriggle on with writing the end of this arc don't I?

It's just the duel has been awful to write due to using cards that aren't released til next week, and trying to make sense of some stuff that happens.

I've finally caught up on my reading, because I've been doing...other things in my spare time...but all I can say that there is more cliche roaming about on the YGO Fan-Fiction. It's the typical "Hero saves Girl" plot, which really gets tiresome after a few reads. But still, good work. I really should pick back up onto my writing...

[quote name='~~Xiahou Dun~~' timestamp='1329182357' post='5815625']
So, Matt, you should like totally update this story and stuff.
[/quote]

But I thought this plot was all a bit cliche :rolleyes:

Nah, don't worry about it, will release the chapter and see what you think.

Currently trying to trudge through Chapter 12 and finish the arc, been such a pain in the ass this has, along with... other stuff. Hope to complete that chapter, the bios and the bonus chapter by Sunday, then see what shape I'm in to start writing the second arc. Hopefully get some motivation from [i]somewhere[/i] *hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink*.

[spoiler=Chapter 3:1]
[b]The following takes place between 11AM and 12PM.[/b]

Garvan stared at the various displays that hovered around the edges of his office. Each screen was home to all the information on each case he was working on. The one he should have been paying attention to right now was displaying the profile of the mafia boss Kamiishiro Ryo, who he was witnessing another interrogation of that afternoon. Waving his hand in the direction of the screen, it scrolled itself along to the extensive list of accusations against him, with various images and case details that popped up and enlarged as they appeared. Shaking his head, he flopped down in his chair and tried to clear his mind.

He was so wrapped up in his frustrations; the vibrating buzz of the D-Gazer on his desk nearly made him fall off his chair.

Cursing and clutching his chest, he donned the device and accepted the call. The number was one he didn’t recognise. “Garvan here.”

There was a pause as the speaker’s voice directly in his ear greeted him. “What the hell are you contacting me for? If I ever got the sudden desire to speak to you then you’d know...”

The speaker overrode him, delivering the rest of his message that was short and clear, before hanging up. Garvan was taken aback by the suddenness of it all. That [i]that[/i] slime should dare call him, at work, was one thing. But he sounded desperate to be heard, and to be met. He hadn’t said much, but what he had said was interesting... and disturbing.

Garvan grabbed his jacket as he left his office. “If Ryokan-sama wants me, I’m going out for a while” he told Yuri as he passed without giving her a chance to stop him. “I’ve got a sudden urge for a coffee.”

...11:01:20...

“Alright, I draw” Yudai declared with as much strength as he could muster, trying to hide his growing fear. Fear born from the unnerving appearance of the two creatures across the field, the dark angels, and their threats of completing a mission that seemed to involve the collection of some weird monsters called Numbers, and taking them from those who had them by force. Numbers like the monster that one of them had summoned; bearing the title of Ruler of Colour: Shock Ruler (ATK 2300). He had never seen nor heard of anything like it, but the impact its appearance in this duel had already had, along with the sheer ungodly aura surrounding it, increased his fears of some real danger. Not to mention the two reactor monsters the other fiend controlled; Summon Reactor AI (ATK 2000) and Magic Reactor AID (ATK 1200). They had assumed he, as the champion of East Asia, would have one of these Numbers as well, and they were targeting him for it because they were searching for them to give to some mistress, whoever that was. Both angels had mere dents in their life points, whereas his were still intact.

To his left, he watched Sakura staggering back to her feet. She had bore the brunt of the angels attacks so far, no doubt looking to eliminate her quickly and get two on one against the stronger player, and the toll even these early and relatively minor attacks had taken on her unnerved him (LP 2800). She had never experienced duelling in the VDS like he had, so she might be more susceptible to attack, but somehow he doubted it. Something genuinely wrong was going on, that much was becoming apparent, but the only thing he could about it right now was make sure they got through this match safely, and then out of the game before anything else could happen. To do that, he had to get past these two.

[i]‘Sakura’s struggling to cope with this duel, and they are looking to exploit it, not to mention capitalise on the mistakes she’s making.’[/i] He looked up above his head where his own, much more magnificent angel Vairon Epsilon was (ATK 2800). [i]‘Defeating that Number monster must be the key. To do that, I could use Epsilon to either run over it with an attack, or use its effect to destroy it. But he has a face down...’[/i]

Trying to tune out the sound of Sakura’s heavy breathing and the growls of impatience the angels were making, he recalled what the angel had said. The only thing he knew about the monster facing him. [i]‘He said that all traps were sealed until the end of my turn, so that includes his own. Therefore his face down is either a bluff, a trap he can’t and doesn’t intend to use until later, or a spell that could actually stop me, such as Shrink or My Body as Shield.’[/i] Giving his hand one last look, his eyes caught the drawn card. Maybe with that, combined with the other cards, he could formulate another plan. His course of action came to him quickly, and the solution gave him a forced half smile. It would cost him a few life points, as much as Sakura had taken, but would be worth it if it worked out. [i]‘Well, only one way to find out’[/i].

“I activate the effect of Vairon Epsilon once more. By sending the equipped Vairon Segment to the cemetery, I can destroy one monster on the field.”

“Poor” sniffed the angel called Azreal. “Instant magic, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/My_Body_as_a_Shield"]My Body as a Shield[/url]. By paying fifteen hundred life points, an effect that would destroy a monster I control is negated, and the card is destroyed. (LP 2000)”

“I figured as much” Yudai muttered as Epsilon vanished. “But now you’ve used up the one card protecting you, you are exposed to any attack I can muster. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Ohm"]Vairon Ohm[/url]." A tripod like machine with searchlights descended from on high (Lv4, ATK 1500). “When Ohm is summoned, I can remove the equip magic card Vairon Material from my cemetery, then add it to my hand next turn.”

“Summon Reactor’s effect activates” the other angel, Metatron, mechanically announced. “Once a turn when a monster is summoned, the player takes eight hundred points of damage.”

As soon as the air carrier’s missiles started exploding all around him, Yudai realised that Sakura had not just been overcame by the simulation of attacks and damage. The intensity of the explosions, the heat on the backs of his arms as he threw them up to cover his face, the surge of energy shooting through his mind, were all far more intense than when he had last played the previous day. Much more incredibly real than ever before. He did not fall though, and continued once the explosions subsided (LP 3200).

“Magic activate, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Reborn"]Raise Dead[/url], to bring Summon Priest back from my cemetery...”

“Magic Reactor activates, destroying the activated magic and inflict another volley of damage.”

Again more explosions, again more fierce pain. He could feel burning, his mind telling him that every part of his being was on fire, but still he stayed upright. [i]‘It’s just a simulation’[/i] he tried to reassure himself, despite his brain screaming at him that he was in real pain. Sakura was watching every attack with a horrified look, her hands clasped so tightly together over her mouth they had turned white. He opened his mouth to reassure her, but to his disbelief he felt himself sway on the spot instead, almost falling (LP 2400). An action that made her even more alarmed. Sakura had never seen him like this.

“Yudai. You’re hurt.”

“Don’t worry Sakura, I’m... fine.” His response did little to calm her. “Now if you are quite finished, I activate Summon Priest’s effect. By discarding a magic card, I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Hapt"]Vairon Hapt[/url] from my deck.” Another white and gold machine appeared beside the old man (Lv4, ATK 1800). “Now everything is set. I overlay level four Hapt, Ohm and Priest. Appear and deliver final judgment, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Disigma"]Vairon Disigma[/url]!"

“Yes, that’s Yudai’s best monster.” Sakura cheered as the Xyz monster descended. The final weapon of the Vairon. Their ultimate weapon. The one Yudai had defeated so many with before. Disigma appeared in the guise of a majestic gold and black behemoth; its many jewelled body covered in the strongest plate, its long arms covered in slashing spikes and ending in fierce claws. With its fearsome appearance came a shining ray of light. A light of hope for a turnaround in this duel, of fending off those savage demons (Rk4, ATK 2500).

“Disigma’s effect activates” Yudai continued. “By detaching an overlay unit, Disigma absorbs a monster you control and equips it to itself. Then if it battles a monster with the same attribute as the one it is equipped with, it can destroy it immediately. Disigma, take Summon Reactor AI.”

“Eh?” Sakura blinked, as the large bomber was first dragged away by, then absorbed into, the mighty body of the angel. “Yudai, why take that monster? Surely if you had taken that Shock Ruler thing instead, you could have attacked that opponent directly and eliminated him.”

“Ideally that was what I’d have done” Yudai replied, unsmiling. “However Summon Reactor has another effect. During a turn it’s used its first effect, it then gains the ability to negate one attack.” [i]‘Also, I don’t want to leave him with the pieces needed to summon his true form, but I shouldn’t cause Sakura more worry than I need to.’[/i] “Now Disigma, attack Shock Ruler.”

At the point of each spike on Disigma’s arms, a ball of bright energy started to appear. Small at first but growing at speed, before as one a laser beam of the purest light shot from each point and straight at the monster. The lasers exploded on contact with the beasts shell like hide, surrounding it in clouds of smoke and fire. Sakura jumped with delight at Yudai’s success. Even he allowed himself a small smile.

Maybe they could win this after all.

That blissful thought remained for a few seconds until the smoke cleared and the dust settled, and they could both see the aftermath of the destruction. That was to say, there was no destruction. The strange beast was still there, suspended eerily still in midair, staring pitifully down at them through its stone mask, completely unmoved as if nothing had ever happened. The only indication that any attack had taken place at all was the slight drop in Azreal’s life points (LP 1800).

Yudai just stood there, mouth hanging slightly open in disbelief. Sakura looked at the beast in terrified amazement, unable to understand. “Hey what happened there? That attack should have beaten it.”

“Naive little children” cackled the angel. “As a champion, you at least should know that a Number cannot be destroyed by the attack of a regular monster, and only be defeated by another Number.”

His announcement took a moment to sink in. “You mean... we can’t beat it...?” Yudai croaked.

“So... you really don’t know?”

The laughing stopped as the creature Azreal turned to look at his partner. He was standing with his arms folded, and although the expression on its half mask had not changed, its voice sounded more calm and thoughtful as it looked at the stunned pair. “If he did not know of the Numbers power, or indeed did not summon one by now, then maybe he truly does not possess a Number after all.”

“That’s what we’ve kept telling you” Sakura shouted at the demonic duelists. “We’re of no help to you or your stupid mission. Now let us go already.”

If the creature had the ability to raise an eyebrow, it may have probably done so then. “Let you go? Why would we do that? Our mission is clear; to search out and gather the Numbers, and crush anyone who stands against us. Our D-Anchors will not break until the duel ends, and if you do not possess a Number with which to strike down Shock Ruler, then it can only end one way. Now, I believe it is my turn.”

“Hang on; I’ve still got a card left to play.” Yudai managed to drag himself out of his stunned disbelief in time to salvage his turn. “I place a card face down. [i]Now[/i] it’s your turn.”

The duelist made a noise of irrelevant disinterest as it drew its card. “The time has come to bury you. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Trap_Reactor%E3%83%BBY_FI"]Trap Reactor RR[/url]." Another gun laden fighter took to the field (Lv3, ATK 800). “Then I play the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Control"]Spiritual Operation[/url], to return Summon Reactor to my field and reunite my three reactors.”

Sakura glanced at Yudai in panic. “What now? What’s coming?”

“The engine of your final destruction” Metatron answered for him. “I send Summon Reactor AI, Trap Reactor RR, and Magic Reactor AID to the cemetery to summon my ultimate machine. A scourge of the skies capable of destroying all that stands before it.” As Metatron spoke, the three flying machines converged and melded together; gears turning and metal twisting into shape to combine with the other parts. Two clawed arms shot out from under the giant war machine’s winged armour. Several missile launchers and gun barrels armed themselves below the propellers. The final piece, the head, slowly rose over the top, eyes flashing red as the beast came to life. “Behold, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Flying_Fortress_SKY_FIRE"]Giant Bomber AIRRAID[/url]!"

"Sakura, if you can activate something, now would be a good time.”

There was something in Yudai’s voice that Sakura had never heard before as he asked, almost begged for help. His confidence, his calming aura of belief that any obstacle could be overcome, had faded and been suppressed by a sense of desperation. Hearing him sound like that was ten times more frightening the massive arms carrier now under the command of the possessed angel. Sakura glanced at her face down; the devastating and now unsealed Mirror...

“AIRRAID’s effect activates” declared the angel. “By discarding one card, I can destroy any card on the field I choose. Target; the girl’s face down.”

...Force. No sooner had Sakura realised the one card that could save them than it exploded in her face. Leaving her field completely empty.

“Now AIRRAID, take down the girl permanently with a direct attack!”

The seconds seemed like an eternity as the turrets of guns and missiles all turned, one by one, to point at Sakura’s trembling form. Every sense was overcome by a sense of numbness, leaving her unable to run or move at all from out of the way of the deadly weaponry. She knew now they certainly were deadly. She didn’t know why, she could just sense it. This attack, which she could do nothing to stop, was going to kill her. Sakura couldn’t even speak as in a display of overwhelming firepower, every gun on the warship fired.

Then each missile, bullet, and everything else aimed towards her swerved from its target and buried themselves into the open body of Vairon Disigma.

Stunned, Sakura and the dark duelists watched as the mighty archangel sank and disappeared in a cloud of heat and smoke. When it had cleared, Yudai could be seen standing where his monster had fallen; hunched and clutching his ribs, and breathing raggedly (LP 1900).

“My trap... [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Staunch_Defender"]Standing Before a Worthy Opponent[/url]... When an attack is declared... I can change it and all others attacks to one of the monsters I control.” Still clutching his ribs, where a small red stain was starting to appear under the burnt tunic, he hobbled forward, between Sakura and the two snarling angels. “Even if it means sacrificing my only monster... even if it means sacrificing myself...” Yudai stopped and spread his arms out in front of them. “I won’t let you hurt her.”

Neither Sakura nor the opposing duelists could speak for a moment. Yudai didn’t say anything more either, just glared at the two opponents with a mix of hatred and the unwavering resolution to protect. Recovering from its assumed surprise at what had happened; Metatron was the first to respond.

“Then we will just destroy you first. Turn end.”

Sakura didn’t realise it was her turn until they looked at her. Even then she couldn’t move. This couldn’t go on. It was hopeless. She and Yudai, just an innocent teenage couple, were trapped. This wasn’t what she had planned. Coming here wasn’t her idea. She wanted to go into the city. Have drinks, go shopping, and be with her loving boyfriend. But he wanted to bring her here instead. If she had been stronger in rejecting his idea; said she really didn’t want to go, and this wouldn’t be happening. If she hadn’t been so stupid and suggested coming inside the temple, maybe they wouldn’t have encountered these things and someone else would have instead. Someone who actually had one of those forsaken Number monsters they kept referring to, and might have stood a chance of beating them. But there was no escape. From those fiends, this death match, that war machine and the strange creature that was staring down at them so emptily. Or from the crushing inevitably that her turn was next and there was nothing she could do to protect her and Yudai. Even as she drew at last, adding another trap to her hand, she knew it was pointless.

“I place two cards face down.”

“AIRRAID’s second effect activates” Metatron simply stated. “Automatically destroying the card on the right, and dealing you another eight hundred points of damage.”

Sakura sank to her knees as the trap she’d drawn, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Luminize"]Photonize[/url], exploded. Even if AIRRAID hadn’t destroyed it with an effect that was unknown to her, she knew Shock Ruler would have sealed it off anyway. She already knew that she had failed. That in mere seconds either one of them was going to be attacked by the Number and would be eliminated from the duel. What else that meant; everything that had been said or happened made her assume the worst, and the thought strangled her words.

“Yudai... I’m sorry...” (LP 2000)

The young man standing with his arms spread out in front of her glanced back over his shoulder at her beaten form.

“No... This is my fault....... I’m supposed to protect you...”

“It’s my turn” Azreal interrupted.“I activate the effect of Number 16: Shock Ruler; detaching an overlay unit to seal all trap cards from activating until the next end phase.” Sakura’s remaining face down crackled with static.

“Sakura...”

Looking up, she could see he was looking at her more fully now. Tears were trickling down his face as he spoke, although his position never changed.

“Please Sakura... don’t give up. I know it seems impossible... but you must try to escape. Somehow. Don’t worry... about me. It’s my job to protect you... I’d do anything for you. I’m just sorry I didn’t listen to you and dragged you into this. But please, I...”

“Number 16, attack him directly!”

Yudai never finished his sentence. The plated creature charged him, striking him straight in the chest. The force threw his body through the empty space of the dark temple, flying over Sakura’s head, before crashing into a pillar and coming to land face down in a still heap (LP 0).

...11:15:17...

“Hey. I’ve been scheduled to make this delivery. I’ve got the right day, the right time, and here’s the order to prove it. I’ve driven all morning getting here, so don’t you tell me otherwise.”

The truck driver continued to berate the man at the check point station, who was still stubbornly refusing to let him in. The fact the guard was clearly of African descent and speaking very much in pigeon Japanese did not make the driver suspicious at all. In the last thirty years Japan had become much more of a multi-cultural society. Businesses like Real Duel Ltd who headhunted the best from across the world to work for them were a cause, but the prosperity of the nation and the way of life had attracted many to emigrate, like they did to Britain and America before.

“Sorry sir... you not on list for today...” the guard tried to explain. “We undergo major reprogramming. No outside sources today.”

The driver was so angry he leaned halfway out of his window and got right in the guards face. “Bah, you’re useless. I’m calling your boss...”

That would be the last thing the man would ever say, as his words were heard over the open D-Gazer link, the device hidden just inside the station window. He opened his mouth to speak again, before he felt his mind explode. The sensation lasted for just a second, before his still body slumped where he was hanging out of his truck, and he felt nothing more.

From one of the upper windows of the RDL Building, Hasif put down his sniper laser. Gadsby was standing next to him, holding a copy of the delivery schedule for the day. Soon there would be a surge of more vehicles wanting to seek entry to the complex, and would be similarly impossible to turn away.

“This facade has run its course. They must have an idea what’s going on by now. Have your men blockade the entrances and get back to the main building.”

...11:16:34...

Sakura stared at Yudai’s crumbled body for a long time. The two duelists disappeared from existence entirely. Shock Ruler and AIRRAID did not exist. The only thing in her world right now was lying some thirty metres away, in a collapsed pile of brokenness, covered in burns and fine outfit torn and bloody, lying completely still.

“...Yudai?”

No response.

“Yudai!”

Without thinking, ignoring every part of her body that was groaning with her own pains, Sakura started towards his body. Running towards him to make sure he was okay. He had to be okay. She got no more than a third of the distance before the D-Anchor chaining her to Metatron snapped into effect, yanking her backwards with such a forceful reaction opposite to her running that she fell far short of where he was lying. Overcome with rage and despair, she rounded on them.

“You monsters! How could you!?”

“We are not monsters” Azreal replied without a hint of remorse. “We are but humble servants. We obey our mistress without question, for her will is all we know. We have no other reason for existence. We have no emotion. As for you, your reason for existence is gone. You have no need to feel the fear and sorrow for any longer. It will end soon. You will join him again. One card face down. Turn end.”

Crying quietly, Sakura drew her last card. One that depicted a weak monster, the weakest she had seen yet. Coupled with the level five Sacred in her hand, she had no defence. No hope of a comeback. Helplessly she resigned herself to her fate.

“I... end my turn...”

Without any hesitation, the duelist Metatron wordlessly placed his clawed hand to the top of his deck. It was simply for formality’s sake as the card was irrelevant. AIRRAID was all that was needed to seal her fate.

[i]“Stop right there.”[/i]

The commanding voice that came out of nowhere made Sakura blink. It was a powerful voice; the way the command had been issued so directly, fearlessly, it would make anyone think twice about daring to disobey. Indeed, the dark angel in front of her had stopped its action and was now looking at someone over her shoulder, snarling at the voice’s owner who had dared to interrupt. She couldn’t help herself from turning her head, still weeping slightly, to look back at the person too.

Standing in the doorway of the temple was a man; that was without question. But while he stood there; with the light outside behind him and the darkness of the temple ahead and not to mention her tear obscured vision, it was difficult to make out anything but an outline until he began striding towards them. A thought trailed idly across Sakura’s dulled mind as he came closer, walking straight towards them, each footstep echoing around the walls of the temple. [i]‘How can he see us when we’re in private duel mode?’[/i]

The thought disappeared just as quickly so she paid little mind, she was far too confused and distressed right now, and the line of light entering through the central part of the roof started to creep up the man’s figure. First the pair of heavy boots and edge of a trailing black coat came into sight. Creeping up a pair of fine trousers topped by a belt with an ornate buckle, and the man’s gauntlet covered fists hanging on the inside of his open coat; the produced knucklebones cracking with the deftest movement. Still coming closer to where the amazed onlookers were either side of the beam of revealing light that was unmasking him from the gloom as he passed Yudai’s body. The two creatures began to make their strange harsh rasping sound as he stepped next to where Sakura was kneeling, and fully into the light.

Looking up at him made Sakura gulp in frightened awe. The man seemed in his mid to late twenties, and was not unhandsome to look at for the most part, with a long mane of the purest white hair sticking out in sharp spikes and deep green eyes. However the left side bore many savage cuts; stretching from the ear all down his neck and under his shirt. In one look it is possible to decipher things about a person, and in his look at her; that sort of indifferent unsmiling stare, she at once recognised strength and assurance bordering on arrogance, but that he’d seen something he didn’t like and wasn’t going to stand for it.

“What is your name?”

The question was so blunt it caught her off guard. She managed to mumble “Sakura...” in a weak voice. The mystery man paused for a second, still looking down at her. The stare made her uncomfortable, that she wanted nothing more for him to look away, made her feel small, and yet somehow she felt... safe.

“You are a novice player, correct?”

Sakura merely nodded in reply and dared no more. Giving his own acknowledgement, the man turned to face the two duelists across the field, completely ignoring the monsters on either side. His expression changed to a glare of utter distain. “Sakura is a novice player, far from equipped to face either of you one on one, let alone together. What business have you fiends picking on such an individual?”

Sakura feebly tried to point out that she hadn’t initially been alone, but was not heard. Instead one of the pair replied with venomous growl. “We have our reasons. What business is it to you? Who are you?”

“Are you going to help me?” Sakura dared ask. Her strength immediately failed as the powerful looking man looked down at her again for what felt like an age, as if he hadn’t decided yet. As if he was still considering if she was worth it.

“... My name is Murtagh, and yes, I think will help you. That is if these spineless bullies will let me.” Murtagh turned his attention to the large purple plated creature, as if it had only just popped into existence that very second. “I see you have a Number monster. That’s fair; to go against an inexperienced young girl with a beast that against normal monsters is unbeatable. You’re even more pathetic than I first thought.”

“My... boyfriend... They...” Sakura found herself mumbling again, even though Murtagh clearly wasn’t listening to her. She didn’t have it in her to finish the sentence anyway. [i]‘He knows about Numbers too?’[/i]

“Well if it’s Numbers you are after, then why don’t you try your filthy claws at someone who actually has a few of his own?” Murtagh reached into an inside pocket of coat and revealed to the angels a card hidden within it. The sight seemed to get a reaction from them, and prompted a whispered discussion. The reaction was excitable for sure, but from the looks of it they would not be baited as easily as Murtagh might have been hoping for. Decision made, Azreal announced their terms.

“Perhaps we could allow you in on our duel, if you are so desperately inclined to protect this girl. However we have already defeated her original partner, so you cannot directly take his place. What we propose is that you divide the girl’s life points between the pair of you. That is our only offer...”

Sakura couldn’t believe it. That was no deal at all; agreeing to start from such a position would be suicide. “No way, you can’t...”

“Done” Murtagh overrode her without a moment’s hesitation. At his word, a fresh D-Anchor shot from Azreal and attached itself around his wrist, which he allowed without any resistance, only moving to free his arms from the folds of the coat draped over him. A draining sensation overcame Sakura; slowly sapping her of the little strength she had left (LP 1000). Murtagh was experiencing the same thing, but remained unaffected. “Now Sakura, if you would kindly stand up.”

“I... don’t think I...”

“Stand up Sakura.” Murtagh didn’t shout, but made the order forcefully enough. “I can’t help you if you won’t help yourself. You have to fight, or we will both be lost. So stand.”
His glare nearly pulled her upright itself, the strength emanating from it seemed to transfer into her just giving her enough to shakily get back to her feet. As she rose, he nodded approvingly, taking an odd battle ready stance. His body started to tremble. “Good. Now then, I believe I am required to put on something more appropriate for duelling...” Murtagh’s eyes closed. “Let’s go... Dragon Soul!”

Sakura watched in wonder as the change overcame him, the like of which she had never seen before. This however was normal for Murtagh, as this was his own duel mode; an altered form he took when entering battle. His body was shaking more violently; every fibre straining with an overflow of energy passing through it. A huge D-Disk materialised in thin air and attached to his left gauntlet; an incredible design of bronze metal adorned with many gems that stretched up past his elbow, spikes producing between each card slot and a blade of silver between each, like the spines and leather of a wing. Suddenly; Murtagh’s eyes snapped open and revealed their own change. Both were now reptile like; the left blue with a thin white pupil, and the right red and black. With a barbaric beastlike roar, Murtagh snatched five cards from his deck. “Prepare yourselves demons! Duel!”

Azreal: LP 1800, Hand 1, Field of No 16: Shock Ruler, Compensation of Blood, a face down
Sakura: LP 1000, Hand 2, Field of a face down
Metatron: LP 3300, Hand 1, Field of Giant Bomber AIRRAID
Murtagh: LP 1000, Hand 5, Field empty

“It’s my turn” Metatron began from where he was before the interruption. “Whoever you are, you just made a huge mistake trying to save this insignificant child. No matter how powerful you think you are, you’re about to lose your Number and your life. Because it’s my turn and AIRRAID is lining you up for a direct attack before you can even take your turn.”

“Sakura, activate your trap card.”

She had barely taken in the opponent’s low plan to take out the new threat before it had a chance to develop when Murtagh spoke. He was looking at her with the same hard stare, but he was actually asking for her help. Obviously he didn’t realise how useless she was at this game. She couldn’t help. Her face down couldn’t protect him from the angel’s tactics. She shook her head to tell him as much, but he just maintained his stare. “Activate your trap; it’s all we have right now. You need to trust me on this.”

“O... Okay. Trap activate; Cry of the Living Dead. I target Hyades in my cemetery and summon it...”

“Pfft, what do you hope to accomplish with that?” taunted Azreal. “But in any case, you just sprung my own trap, yet again. A trap called [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Psychic_Shockwave"]Psychic Shockwave[/url]. I can only activate this card in response to a trap card, and by discarding a card I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Jinzo"]Android Psycho Shocker[/url] from my deck.” A creature that seemed human, although horribly mutated and melded with his cybernetic suit and mask, appeared beside the gleeful demon (Lv6, ATK 2400). “When Psycho Shocker is out, all traps are nullified. Don’t you see little girl, your efforts have accomplished nothing more than compounding your hopeless fate.”

“From my hand” Murtagh interrupted the demon mid-flow. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Phantom_Dragon"]Phantom Dragon[/url]!"

From out of nowhere the spectral form of a serpentine dragon appeared above him, coiling its long body around him like a barrier (LV8, DEF 2200). The amazed expression Sakura gave him produced a chuckle. “Thanks for setting me up for that. You see, it’s possible to activate effects of cards when in your hand, given the right timing.” She was sure she imagined it, but she swore he gave her the smallest wink.

“So you pulled some dodgy tag move for the sake of a weak barrier. Good for you” Metatron scowled. “It is meaningless. By discarding a card, I activate AIRRAID’s effect and destroy that dragon anyway.”

[i]‘Oh no. Everything we do just blows up in our faces. We can’t win’[/i] Sakura thought, looking helplessly at Murtagh. She thought he’d be surprised, or angry, but he wasn’t. He was still looking at her. [i]‘I wish he’d stop looking at me like that. How can someone as powerful as he is rely on me... wait a minute...’[/i] She looked at her hand. [i]‘It’s possible to activate effects of cards when in your hand, given the right timing...’[/i]

“From my hand, I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Effect_Veiler"]Effect Veiler[/url] By discarding this monster from my hand, I can cancel out the effect of a monster on the field for the rest of this turn.”

Metatron made an enraged noise. “Just stay down already. Or better yet, AIRRAID put that thing down.”

The dragon screeched as its spirit vanished in a hail of missile fire. The explosives continued to go off around Murtagh, but other than his hair and coat flapping about in the blast, he didn’t move an inch. Sakura felt even more helpless. “I’m sorry. I tried to protect your dragon but it still got destroyed.”

“Its fine” Murtagh replied. “All that matters is that, thanks to you, I survived his turn. Those clowns even forgot in their desperation to get me that you were wide open.” Indeed, the demons had just realised their mistake and were berating each other for the error. They were silenced as Murtagh reached to his deck. “Enough, now it is my turn.”

“I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_In"]Trade In[/url]; to discard a level eight monster from my hand, then draw two cards.” Again Murtagh drew, and a smirk befell him. “Next I activate the magic of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Forbidden_Chalice"]Forbidden Chalice[/url] which negates the effect of AIRRAID until the turn’s end. Meaning I can summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Divine_Dragon_Apocralyph"]God Dragon Apocolypse[/url]." A flaming dragon briefly appeared before him (Lv4, ATK 1000), but Murtagh was throwing cards around in a frenzy. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Gate"]Monster Gate[/url] activates; releasing God Dragon to pick up cards from the top of my deck until I find a monster that can be summoned and bring it to the field in its place.”

Sakura was struggling to keep up, but even she recognised the monster that appeared in the space vacated by the flaming dragon as a gigantic beast with pure white scales crashed onto the arena floor, roaring furiously, its sapphire eyes sparkling in the gloom. An original monster of the game born for destruction, the legendary [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Eyes_White_Dragon"]Blue Eyes White Dragon[/url] (Lv8, ATK 3000). “Finally I activate Raise Dead, to summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Darkstorm_Dragon"]Darkstorm Dragon[/url] from my cemetery.”

Suddenly the tables were turned. Murtagh was stood with his arms folded; Blue Eyes on his right and a huge black dragon on his left (Lv8, ATK 2700). “Darkstorm Dragon is what’s called a Gemini monster, which when it’s first summoned to the field it has no effect, and is treated as a normal monster. Exactly what I need to win this. I overlay level eight” As the two monsters turned to sparks and flew into the vortex, Murtagh had to shout over the noise. “Xyz summon, destroyer of all, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Thunder_End_Dragon"]Thunder End Dragon[/url]!"

From the vortex arose a massive electric blue and white dragon. Sparks of lightning coursed through its body; from the long spikes on its back and tail, through to its savage claws and channelling into its jaws (Rk8, ATK 3000). Murtagh roared a command inaudible over the dragon, and one of the overlay units disappeared into the dragon’s mouth. A stream of lightning shot forth, and in one devastating wave eradicated Psycho Shocker, AIRRAID and, to Sakura’s amazement, the Number monster that had tormented her fell all at once. There was a frenzied cry of attack, another burst of lightning, and the demon Azreal was thrown halfway across the temple before disappearing into a cloud of smoke (LP 0).

“I end my turn with a face down” Murtagh managed to regain some calm in the wake of his dragons trail of destruction. “Face it, you’ve lost. Run now if you can, or else you chose to be my dragon’s next meal.” The sole remaining angel drew his card, and gave Murtagh a dirty look.

“I would rather be food for your beast than return to my mistress failing my one function. Go ahead and finish me off. There will be more like me. As for you” Metatron pointed at Sakura. “You might have been saved this time, but you won’t last long here. Getting in the way of her will only result in more despair.”

“Yeah yeah we get it” Murtagh dismissed his rant with irrelevance. “You want to finish this Sakura?”

“...Okay, I’ll try. I draw, and activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Planter"]Magic Planter[/url] card. By sending Cry of the Living Dead to the cemetery, I can draw two cards.” The two cards she got were just what she needed. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Gredi"]Sacred Gredi[/url], and when I summon her, I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Pollux"]Sacred Pollux[/url] as well. Then I overlay my level four monsters, and Xyz summon.” Where once a white plated sorceress and knight stood, a powerful warrior of the stars carrying an enormous sword appeared in their place (Rk4, ATK 2400).

“When a Sacred monster battles, the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Beehive"]Sacred Beehive[/url] activates, and increases that monsters attack by one thousand. That’s just enough to defeat you. Beehive, finish it with a direct attack!”

The holy warrior’s sword slashed the creature right across the chest (LP 0). As the blade passed through it the dark angel screamed, before it too vanished into the darkness.

Released from the D-Anchor by the duel’s end, Sakura immediately turned and half ran, half staggered over to where Yudai was lying. He still hadn’t moved at all, his body limp as she shook him. She tried for a minute to rouse him before simply collapsing on his body, exhausted and weeping.

“I’m sorry about your loss.” Murtagh was standing beside her, pitifully looking down at the boy’s still form.

“He’s not lost” Sakura’s voice was strangled. “When I leave, he’ll be in his room waiting for me.”

“I’m afraid you are right. He will be waiting for you; however he will be in the same state there that he is in here.” Sakura shook her head, telling him it wasn’t true, but Murtagh’s expression didn’t change. “His mind was overloaded by the pressure inflicted on it by their Numbers. This might not be your real world, but while your mind is immersed here it is still vulnerable to the signals fed into it, especially the intense signals of being attacked. Sakura, you must listen to me. He is gone.”

The finality of his statement made her choke. Perhaps realising he’d said the wrong thing he crouched beside her. “I’m sorry, but listen to me. Your boyfriend is the victim, one of many by now, of a woman named Clarissa. She is the one the angels referred to as their mistress, and they are hunting Numbers to give to her. She is the one who has tampered with the VDS and has made the effect of duels as deadly as they are, and has also done something to disable user’s abilities to log themselves out. Now I have the power to bypass that, and can get you out if you wish to leave, or you can stay here...”

“I’d... like to go please...”

Murtagh nodded. “Ok. That’s fine. However either way, you won the duel. Therefore this now rightfully belongs to you. I would understand if you didn’t want to take it, but as the victor, it passes itself on to you now...” He stood, pulling her upright to, and placed in her hand a card. A little cry escaped her when she saw what it was. Number 16: Ruler of Colour: Shock Ruler. Repulsed, she pushed it away.

“No. No I don’t want it. Please... I just want to go home. I need to see Yudai.”
Murtagh understood. Without another word, he pocketed the card, placed his hands on Sakura’s shoulders, and the world around her faded away.

...10:29:17...

Blinking slowly as she readjusted to her return to the real world, a strange sensation for her who’d only done it a few times as the surroundings of the virtual world were sucked into blackness then replaced by the details of the bedroom she was sat in. Still trying to adjust to the change, it began to sink in that she was sweating slightly, and her heart was beating like it was frantically trying to escape her chest. As her thoughts returned to normal and everything that had just occurred fell back into place, her terror slowly creeping back into place at what was waiting for her, Sakura turned to look at the chair next to her.

Yudai was lying on the floor having slid off the chair, his eyes closed underneath his D-Gazer. Skaura felt his pulse. It was extremely weak.

"Yudai, please wake up. Yudai..."[/spoiler]

Chapter 3:2 will be up sometime on Friday. A chapter that gets a look at some of the other characters who we've only seen flashes of so far, as well as bringing Garvan and Daiki's plotlines back to focus.

So yeah, you know the drill guys and girls. Suspect I won't be short on comments on this one.

[spoiler=Note for Dworkin and whoever else to be read after chapter]
Yes, Murtagh is based on that Murtagh, as in the under exposed, under developed and generally ruined until right near the end dude from Inheritance. It also happens to be the name of my profile on WC11, for similar reasons.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1329258253' post='5816990']
Fantastically handled duel. And great chapter overall.
[/quote]

Ty for another confidence boosting little snippet.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1329262707' post='5817110']
Another nice chapter. But the duel had a couple problems...

1.Summon Reactor was equipped to Disigma as a Spell, so it can't be Mind Contolled.
2.Beehive can only use it's effect during the opponent's turn.
[/quote]

1) Damn. I wasn't sure and had it double checked by a few people, but no-one outright said you couldn't do it. Bugger!

Can always change it for Come Back! :D

...or maybe not.

2) Just doubled checked, works in either.

Thanks for reading.

Ack, I did not comment on this? My priorities must be slipping. Sorry, sorry. Anyway enough of that, on to comments. First off, nice little touch you had with the cloaked guys having the names of Biblical angels. It adds to the effect of their being harbingers of doom or whatnot. I like how the Decks worked out too, with Yudai having Vairon and his "successor" Sakura having the Sacreds, which fittingly are the Vairon's legacy. You also captured the indecisiveness of new player; somewhat familiar with how to play but making mistakes here and there due to lack of experience. Not a bit overdone, I think. The duel captured me straight from when I started reading, so no complaints on that department either. Didn't expect Shock Ruler to be the first Number to show his face, but it doesn't matter much anyways.

Then to Chapter 3:1. Yudai attacking a Number with non-Number, a good reminder that Numbers are much more troublesome in anime canon than irl. Felt a twinge of pity for Yudai; he'd just wanted to have a fun time with his GF and ends up having to throw his life on the line in a stake-it-all duel. I take it from the chapter's end that he's not dead, but still...ouch. Also, that bit with Azrael stating they are mere servants fit with the angel theme; angels having to obey their god, that sort of idea. Murtagh's entrance...EPIC. Can see why you'd go with that name and it seems you'd do him more justice than was due him in the Inheritance series. Apparently, he's a Numbers Hunter too. Cool line of work and fits his "wanderer" trait. Although I'm a little peeved by his Deck. Dragons, really? I sort of understand why, but I still don't like it for whatever the reason it is; can't really explain it myself, but...do not want. Interested to see why Murtagh has this ability to override the tampering Clarissa made; maybe because he knows the Word? [size=4][color=#000000][font=monospace,]8D Just kidding. [/font][/color] I do like the way you ended it though, with Sakura all broken-hearted and all. Not that I enjoy the characters suffering, but it was totally in tone with the events of the chapter and so made it a good end point. Pheew, i've written quite a bit, huh? Well, to finish it off, awesome work yet again, and as always, I look forward to the next chapter (who doesn't?) Well, that's my spiel. Peace out.[/size]

[quote name='Corona Ray' timestamp='1329274093' post='5817523']
Ack, I did not comment on this? My priorities must be slipping. Sorry, sorry. Anyway enough of that, on to comments. First off, nice little touch you had with the cloaked guys having the names of Biblical angels. It adds to the effect of their being harbingers of doom or whatnot. I like how the Decks worked out too, with Yudai having Vairon and his "successor" Sakura having the Sacreds, which fittingly are the Vairon's legacy. You also captured the indecisiveness of new player; somewhat familiar with how to play but making mistakes here and there due to lack of experience. Not a bit overdone, I think. The duel captured me straight from when I started reading, so no complaints on that department either. Didn't expect Shock Ruler to be the first Number to show his face, but it doesn't matter much anyways.[/quote]

Ty.

They are just the coolest names aren't they? The Weeping Angels that they are based genuinely scare the beejezus out of me, so glad they did okay as baddies.

Shock Ruler is one of my favourites, as you might remember from the end of Armageddon, so happy he got his (stony) face in early on.

[quote]
Then to Chapter 3:1. Yudai attacking a Number with non-Number, a good reminder that Numbers are much more troublesome in anime canon than irl. Felt a twinge of pity for Yudai; he'd just wanted to have a fun time with his GF and ends up having to throw his life on the line in a stake-it-all duel. I take it from the chapter's end that he's not dead, but still...ouch. Also, that bit with Azrael stating they are mere servants fit with the angel theme; angels having to obey their god, that sort of idea. Murtagh's entrance...EPIC. Can see why you'd go with that name and it seems you'd do him more justice than was due him in the Inheritance series. Apparently, he's a Numbers Hunter too. Cool line of work and fits his "wanderer" trait. Although I'm a little peeved by his Deck. Dragons, really? I sort of understand why, but I still don't like it for whatever the reason it is; can't really explain it myself, but...do not want. Interested to see why Murtagh has this ability to override the tampering Clarissa made; maybe because he knows the Word? [size=4][color=#000000][font=monospace,]8D Just kidding. [/font][/color] I do like the way you ended it though, with Sakura all broken-hearted and all. Not that I enjoy the characters suffering, but it was totally in tone with the events of the chapter and so made it a good end point. Pheew, i've written quite a bit, huh? Well, to finish it off, awesome work yet again, and as always, I look forward to the next chapter (who doesn't?) Well, that's my spiel. Peace out.[/size]
[/quote]

Well of course, they are going to be the cards of power for some time now, it would be somewhat disappointing not to use the canon. More will be explained regarding Yudai's condition and Sakura's future from 7 and pretty consistently from then. Giving them a break for 6.

Oh thank goodness, was fearing 'dues ex machina' label with that save. Glad he came across all cool, except for his deck. One of the goals of this is to use all the more recent decks and as soon as I saw SD22: Dragonic Legion released I was like 'lightbulb moment'. Dragons are my favourite things, ever. Although your reaction does cement a future idea I had for him, but thats a way off.

Yes, quite odd how he can do all that. I wonder who else might be able to, and indeed how Clarissa and co will react...

Lol

Thanks for the detailed feedback, chapter 6 will be up sometime Friday (now to get my head down and finish writing 12 that has been so awful to do).

The part with Thunder End was amazing. I think I'll like Murtagh, and while dragons were never my favorite deck, I don't really mind them and I don't see someone called Murtagh using anything besides one. I'm half expecting him to use Neo Galaxy Eyes just because it has red energy running within it.

As always, looking forward to more.

Just gonna post before reading the latest chapter. A great read overall and I was generally choking on my tea as soon as I heard Weeping Angel. They gave me nightmares. For a year. Silly me for watching the Blink episode like 10 times.

Some excellent description skills with good execution. A lot of the time, writers forget to balance their descriptions so reading is bland in places and overwhelming in others. It's a common mistake, and I'm glad you haven't made it.

Yudai seems like a generic character in a generic plot, but hopefully that'll change a little. I love this multi-protagonist thing going on, even if it's slightly hard to fully follow :P But that's just because I'm stupid.

[quote name='IceDorago' timestamp='1329306690' post='5818055']
The part with Thunder End was amazing. I think I'll like Murtagh, and while dragons were never my favorite deck, I don't really mind them and I don't see someone called Murtagh using anything besides one. I'm half expecting him to use Neo Galaxy Eyes just because it has red energy running within it.

As always, looking forward to more.
[/quote]

Nobody loves dragons :(

The vast majority of characters in this will be using archtypes, it is only really Daiki, Garvan and Murtagh as well a few others that are exceptions (lack of non-archtype related Xyz).

Loving the amount of Inheritance love though, wasn't expecting that many people to have read it.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1329353212' post='5819221']
Just gonna post before reading the latest chapter. A great read overall and I was generally choking on my tea as soon as I heard Weeping Angel. They gave me nightmares. For a year. Silly me for watching the Blink episode like 10 times.

Some excellent description skills with good execution. A lot of the time, writers forget to balance their descriptions so reading is bland in places and overwhelming in others. It's a common mistake, and I'm glad you haven't made it.

Yudai seems like a generic character in a generic plot, but hopefully that'll change a little. I love this multi-protagonist thing going on, even if it's slightly hard to fully follow :P But that's just because I'm stupid.
[/quote]

*Assumes you've read Chapter 5 now*

Lol. Why did you do such a stupid thing like that? I only watched it once. NEVER AGAIN!

Hope if you've read chapter 5 the thing with Yudai and Sakura is now less generic. I loved writing those chapters just because I couldn't see anyone guessing that would happen and them all thinking Yudai the Mary Sue to the rescue. I know it took a few people by surprise when they read it first time. Wonder where they'll go from here.

I also wonder if anyone's got the joke with it...

Anyway, Chapter 6 tomorrow.

Chapter 6 is now up.

[spoiler=Chapter 3:2]
“Well that’s... interesting...”

Clarissa perked up from the military gun cleaning she was doing on her rifle to see Wilhelm staring at the computer of a panicky looking technician. The man was sat gibbering away that ‘it wasn’t his fault’ but Wilhelm was ignoring him, staring gauntly at the laptop screen in front of him that was displaying the programme that was being operated by the technician. In the top corner, a small light was flashing red. Flashing red lights always meant something was wrong.

“What’s interesting?”

“Someone... got out...”

Wilhelm wasn’t one to mince words. Clarissa preferred that, as she didn’t have time to deal with that sort of thing. Nor did she have time, or tolerance, for any mistakes. Pulling the stuttering technician out of her way, ignoring his heavy fall to the floor, she took a look at the screen. Evos, who had been working on the company’s own computers, had also been alerted by Wilhelm’s statement and joined them as well. On the programme Wilhelm had designed, there was a little text box that had gave them the name, time and location of anyone who logged out of the system while the lock in was in place. Wilhelm had designed it to have such an alarm and record system in case they needed to log someone out themselves, or indeed just in case of some unforeseen occurrence like this...

“You run a check on the lock to make sure it’s still working properly?” the doctor asked.

“Obviously...” Wilhelm replied. “He’s checked and I’ve double checked... It’s metaphorically bulletproof, and not the cause of... this little worm wriggling free...”

“Can you bring up the profile of the person who got out?” Clarissa asked. Evos simply clicked on the name, and it bought up the player’s full profile. Real Duel Ltd kept full records on every player who used their system; including some sign up details, all their duel stats, the cards they possessed, and their entire duel and location history. The company boasted the most secure servers in the world in their own opinion, so no one felt insecure having their information on their system. Even a little picture of the face recognised by the VDS of a cute teenage girl appeared on the profile.

“Nakashima Sakura... any relation?” Clarissa asked. Evos nodded.

“Let’s see you then Miss Nakashima...” Wilhelm wheezed, opening up the duelist history. A half empty page caught them all by surprise, and for a minute nobody moved as they couldn’t quite believe what they were reading.

“Well that’s... really interesting...” Evos managed to say.

“No... That’s just impossible...” In his disbelief at the minimal text he had just read, Wilhelm momentarily lost his unerring calm. “Profile created... two days ago. Total duels... one. Total wins... one...” He bought up the girls last known location in the VDS, The Sanctuary in the Sky, and who she had faced. That one duel had been a tag duel against two players under the names of, under closer inspection, two Real Duel employees that were currently sat outside acting under their control. The entire play by play of her duel came up in front of them; how one of the duel drones had summoned a Number, how Sakura’s partner had been defeated, up until the tenth turn where Sakura did nothing. Then the next turn which was also somehow Sakura’s, where she had attacked the second drone directly with a Sacred Beehive that had appeared from nowhere, while the first one who had been commanding the Number had already been defeated. It didn’t make sense.

“An amateur player... two on one... against our drones... and a Number...! Would someone please explain to me... how that is supposed to happen...!”

Everyone was looking at him. Wilhelm hadn’t realised he had shouted, or that his fists had clenched to the point of the skin turning even paler than usual, and the effort of his outburst left him weak and struggling for breath. Evos calmly removed his glasses, gave them a polish, and replied.

“Well, the virus does not make our drones unbeatable Wilhelm. More aggressive, tenacious, and less likely to make mistakes in duels yes. But if the subject was a terrible duelist with a terrible deck to begin with and goes against a stronger duelist, then it is logical they will still lose, as has been the case...” he looked at another technician who was monitoring the progress of their army, who nervously mouthed something “... with twenty eight drones now. However that was not the situation here, and the fact this is the first loss suffered by a drone after they have summoned a Number interests me.”

“But it doesn’t worry you...” Wilhelm retorted.

“Worrying is a wasteful way to use my energy” he shrugged. “As is getting all worked up. Look at what it is doing to you right now. You are making your condition worse with all your shouting.”

“Boys, stop squabbling like children.” Clarissa stepped between them and spoke at last. “Wilhelm, go outside and calm down. I will come to you in a minute. That’s an order.” He was reluctant to go at first, but eventually succumbed to his sister’s hard stare and drove himself out of the office, giving everyone filthy looks as he passed that caused the technicians to flinch. When he was out of the door, Clarissa pulled her hands through her long hair, and continued with her orders.

“Ok, everyone back to work. Including you” she pointed at the technician who was still sat on the floor from where she had pulled him over. “Tell me the second anyone else gets out. You, find out which drones have gone out of commission. I’ll have Hasif bring down some replacements for them. Evos, you prepare to get those replacements prepared to go out, and then continue with your work. Do it now.”

Each person sprung into action at her command, while she pulled down her own D-Gazer to make her call to Hasif. Before she made the call, Evos managed to get her attention.

“We just lost a Number because of the ineptitude of those people outside, yet you don’t seem affected. Are you still sure you want to leave any Numbers they find under their control?”

“We’ve had this discussion Evos. I am not happy about it, especially now we seem to have lost one, but we need to leave our soldiers with Numbers for them to have a chance against duelists who have Numbers. It is a calculated gamble I admit, but it is one we have to take.”

“I understand. So... what do you think about this?” Clarissa frowned at his question.

“I think someone is meddling. I don’t know who, but when I find out, I will personally make them wish they had kept their nose out of my business.”

...11:35:06...

A buzzing ringtone erupted in Keylan’s left ear, alerting him to the incoming call. Frustrated to be distracted from his work for even the briefest second, he answered a little more forcefully than was advisable. Especially when considering the call was coming from Yuri, who did not take kindly to his harshly snapped ‘Yes?’

“Well, someone’s in a foul mood. Your hunt for the sender of that e-mail to Daiki may be going badly, but there is no cause for addressing your colleagues in that tone.”

“My apologies Ono-san” Keylan tried to sound as humble as he could, but his embarrassment prevailed. Yuri saw through him easily enough but mercifully decided against further reproach and got to her point.

“I’ve had a message forwarded to me that I would normally not waste my time with, but given said message I’ve decided to forward it to you. You won’t appreciate its also related to the VDS as you seem to be struggling enough with lines in that, but given your rudeness maybe you’d want the distraction.”

“I’ve just got nothing to work with other than a message from the system and a silly nickname” he tried hopelessly to justify himself. He had been trying to locate the sender of the message telling of national threats and strange goings on for the best part of the morning with no success, despite the resources available to him. The Firefly was proving an elusive foe and, apart from whispers and the message in front of him, a seemingly non-existent one. Getting another job from Yuri, one that she had already half-dismissed, was an even less appealing idea, and not something that would ease his frustration. “It’s like this person doesn’t even exist. Anyway, what’s the message?”

“The call centre AI has alerted its operators that it has starting getting a lot of calls about the same thing. There are people ringing in saying that people using the VDS are collapsing whilst playing, being discovered slumped in their seats or on the floor unconscious and weak. Most of the calls seem to be coming from arcades across the city, and from parents with young kids.”

“You mean kids too young to be playing the VDS?” Keylan replied. Indeed, due to safety concerns raised by the public, Real Duel Ltd had set a minimum age restriction of thirteen to their system. The company itself maintained there was no actual threat of the virtual reality having any detrimental effect on the development of the brain of children younger than that, but did appreciate parents concerns that it couldn’t be good for impressionable youngsters to be exposed to a fantasy world and did not complain that their image was actually enhanced by their actions to appease the public.

“It’s a possibility that some of the cases could be explained away by young players panicking at the sight of a mystic creature attacking them. That is fairly normal and one of the reasons for the age restriction. However there are many calls coming in about it, and don’t you think it’s a coincidence that there should be an increase in such concerns the same day as we receive that cryptic message from this Firefly?”

“I see your point. Well guess the obvious thing to do would be call the RDL building and see if they’ve heard anything about it.”

With that Keylan disconnected the call to Yuri, before bringing up Real Duel Ltd’s number on his D-Gazer with a simple command and dialled. The call was met with nothing but static. Confused, he tried a different number. More static.

Well that was really odd. But Keylan had one last thing he could do, one method of contact that would definitely not fail. Opening up his computer, Keylan opened an emergency line that went directly to the office of the main management. The network for such emergency lines could only be accessed by services like the top level of police, but it was never down. By opening this method of communication, it should bring him face to face with the president directly in his office if he was there. It might be rude, but if it got him in contact and some answers then that was all that mattered. The phone rang. Success.

It continued to ring for a long time...

...11:36:35...

“Phone call.”

Clarissa had been outside the offices tending to her brother when she heard a ringing sound coming through the open door of the president’s office above her. In a flash she darted back into the office her men were based in, where everyone had been alerted to her shout.

“Someone’s calling the president directly, must be on the emergency line.” Clarissa knew about the emergency network and was happy to leave it alone, as she intended to use it later. She had considered the possibility that someone could use it to contact them as the day went on and the authorities became aware that people using the system all over the country were collapsing, and had prepared for that eventuality. “Evos, you ready?”

The doctor was on his feet and came pounding up the spiral staircase after her. As a former employee of the company and the most fluent among them in Japanese, and the affect working here had made on his accent, he would be answering any calls they might receive. He could have transferred the call to their office, but Clarissa wanted him to take calls on this line in private.

“Can you scramble the picture at all?” she asked as he sat himself at the president’s computer.

“Only a little, but enough.”

“Good. Remember whoever it is you have to stall them for now. I will contact the fools of this countries government when I am ready to.” Evos nodded, and answered the call.

...11:36:54...

Keylan blinked at the distorted picture of a boardroom office in front of him, and the outline of somebody in front of him. Well at least he was through somehow. “Hello President Shinawatra. This is Deymura Keylan of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. Can you hear me?”

[i]“Hello, my name is Komura... I can just about hear you Mister Deymura. Go ahead...”[/i]

“Komura-san, why are you in the President’s office? Where is he?”

[i]“I’m afraid the president is currently dealing with some technical issues we are experiencing at the moment. You’re lucky I heard the phone go off up here at all. We’re a bit all hands to the pump at the moment here.”[/i]

“Right...”Keylan sensed something off about this Komura’s voice, maybe something in his accent. “About these
technical issues. We’ve been receiving reports about users of your virtual game system collapsing in play and being taken into hospital.”

[i]“We are aware of these reports. There are some minor issues that have come up and we’re attempting to correct them as quickly as possible. That and our communications centre are having their own problems with updating their AI’s which is why you’ve had a hard time contacting us. As for the people collapsing, I’m sure it’s just a reaction some people have to the impression of being attacked by giant creatures and each individual will wake up when they’re ready.”[/i]

“And you think it’s safe for people to keep playing while you’re fixing it? It must be a big problem if the president is dealing with it personally.”

[i]“We estimate it will be corrected in an hour or so. There’s no need to cause an unnecessary alarm for such a small glitch, I assure you no-one is in any life threatening danger. Now if you’ll excuse me Deymura-kun, I have matters that require my attention. Good day.”[/i]

The call ended before Keylan had a chance to respond. He was not pacified at all by what he had heard. Nothing could be as fine as this Komura character had said. He bought up a name search on his computer to check the guy out. He wasn’t helped by not getting a first name, but indeed there were two Komura’s employed by Real Duel Ltd, and one of them was a high ranking manager there. But still something unsettled him. Could these incidents of players collapsing, and his hard fight to get in contact with the company, just be innocent problems that the company happened to be experiencing at the same time and was working on fixing. Really, there was nothing to worry about? And it just so happened to be a coincidence that these things happened on the same day that this message appeared from the hacker Firefly, suggesting a threat to national security linked to Real Duel Ltd.

It was all far too coincidental. Something had to be up, something serious, and if Real Duel Ltd weren’t going to give him any straight answers, he would just go straight over them and inform those who could. He got the emergency line number for the office of the Prime Minister on his screen, and dialled.

...11:39:02...

As the prime ministers aide, publicist and many other titles, it was Izura who answered the call. Seeing the logo of the Metropolitan Police on screen took her aback, but still she sat herself down and answered. The logo was replaced by an image of a young man. “Good morning. You’ve reached the prime minister’s office, Maeda Izura speaking.”

[i]“Maeda-san, my name is Deymura Keylan. I work for the top ranking branch of this city’s police. I’m calling your office regarding a potentially serious threat regarding...”[/i] The young man broke off, as he really wasn’t sure what to say at all.

[i]“Well, I can’t say for certain what the problem is or how serious it might be to the country, it’s just speculation right now. But we’ve been getting some calls from across the country regarding problems with the VDS. There have been unusually high numbers of players having problems with it, and some users are collapsing in play. Also when I tried to contact Real Duel Ltd just now I had an almighty struggle to get through to them, and when I did their explanations were extremely vague.”[/i]

“I don’t see how these events can be determined as a potentially serious threat to whatever you were going to say.”
Keylan bit his lip. He was just theorising, maybe he was paranoid, but instinct told him he was on the trail of something. The government should at least be made aware, in case anything did happen. [i]“Well there’s that. But we’ve also received information from an... outside source... which leads us to believe something real is going on. We have an operative about to confirm the validity of the threat in the next fifteen minutes or so. I’m going to meet with the general now, but I just thought you should be aware of what’s going on. I’ll call you again if anything solid develops.”[/i]

“I see. Well thank you for keeping us informed Deymura-san. I will pass what you have told me onto the prime minister, however he is currently in a meeting and I’m reluctant to go barging in with what might be no more than hearsay. If your operative comes back with solid evidence that there is a potential threat to the nation, then call me back immediately and we can go from there.”

[i]“Yes Maeda-san. Thank you for your time.”[/i]

As Keylan hung up the phone, Izura had to pause to reflect on what she had just heard. Users of the VDS collapsing? Strange goings on at Real Duel Ltd?

[i]“You look distracted Izura.”[/i]

The address snapped her out of her thoughts. Standing by her desk was a tall broad shouldered man in a dark suit, with wavy blonde hair and a large jaw. He was the defence minister, and had just arrived to meet with the prime minister who was in the next room with Kenji.

“Oh hello Tanaka-san. Yes um...”

“Please Izura, its Rokuro. You don’t have to address me like that all the time.” Rokuro smiled at Izura’s face. “You look a little pale. What is it?”

Trapped, Izura told the defence minister about the call from the police; about how the agent who contacted her suspected something was going on at Real Duel Ltd and how they had received reports of duelists using the VDS collapsing. The man’s smile faded with every word, to be replaced by a worried frown.

“I see. You believe this threat to be real?”

“I don’t know yet. That’s why I’m waiting for the agent to get back to me once more solid information is gathered. It shouldn’t be too long.”

“Right. Well... thank you for letting me know. If there is any hint of a threat to national security, even if it is just a hint, then I should...”

Rokuro trailed off into an awkward silence that Izura made no attempt to break, both hoping that the phone would ring with more definite news.

...11:45:20...

Garvan stared at the person sat across from him with a mixture of disgust and disbelief. He had arrived at the allocated meeting place a few minutes ago; a dingy little cafe in the city backstreets, and having refused to order anything from the girl behind the counter he instead sat himself at a table at the very back across from the man who had called his office with a desperate need to see him. Well, man was a very loose term for this contact that was shaking so violently drops of the long cold coffee he was holding fell on Garvan’s interlocked fingers. There was little that was very manly about Scag.

Hayegawa Naru, more commonly known as Scag, was a young man who had been in and out of juvenile detention centres since the age of ten, mostly for drug and theft related offences. He was also a wannabe hacker and had been arrested for an unsuccessful attempt to hack into Real Duel Ltd’s database when he was thirteen. A small and wiry thin person with a nervous disposition who turned to the criminal world simply through being a social misfit, Garvan had met him several times before. Usually their meetings involved him tackling the scrawny addict to the floor and dragging him into custody. However he kept him out of prison because Scag had a knack for knowing things, or finding them out if you needed information. A lot of what he said was paranoid or drug high rambling, but the occasional gold nugget of information was more than worth those frustrating wastes of time. Garvan did not like to associate himself with, even less rely on, people like him, but sometimes it was for the sake of the bigger picture.

“This had better be good for you to ring my office directly” Garvan said, rubbing his hands on his trousers to dry them. “It would be a very bad idea for you to call me out here for no reason.”

“Y-y-yes sir, I know. But what I have to tell you, I think this is something big. Something huge.” Finally putting his undrunk coffee to one side, Scag only proceeded to wring his empty hands instead.

“You see, late last night I was rummaging around some abandoned warehouses in the north districts... trying to salvage stuff to fix and sell” he hastily added when he caught the inspectors expression. “At least I thought they were abandoned. But while I was in one of them a large group of black men, African from what I could gather, drove in a couple of large trucks and started unloading a ton of equipment. They looked serious guys, so I hightailed it out of there. I think I’m lucky I got away alright.”

If Scag was expecting sympathy, he got none. Garvan simply took out a notepad and pencil (usually he would use a standard voice recorder, but Scag refused to talk into them and put his voice on record) and started scribbling. “You are lucky; you’ve interested me. Did you see any of this equipment? Better yet can you remember which warehouse?”
The frail young man recoiled and shook his head, like he expected to be struck. “It was in the Gotanno area, on the north bank of the river. That’s as much as I can remember of the location. They seemed to be travelling light for a group of their size too. I couldn’t see what they were unloading at all either as stuff was crated up; it must have come with them from abroad. But I knew something was up, so I called a few people I know and asked if they’d had dealings with any Africans. To great personal risk I might add. But nobody could or wanted to tell me anything. It was like I was the only one who knew these guys even existed.”

Garvan stood to leave. It was a simple trick to use. By making the informant think he was not helping at all, or was making him feel like he was having his time wasted and thus more likely to stop overlooking his own misdemeanours, his tongue might loosen a bit. Indeed it worked, as sensing he was losing his customer, Scag started talking faster. “I knew such little solid information would be of little use to you. But then something else happened to me this morning. Something very strange...”

“I’m not interested in your...”

“No, I mean something else entirely.” Intrigued enough to sit down again, Garvan watched Scag glance around before continuing in a lower tone. “Just over an hour ago, as I was passing one of the arcades, I found a duel monsters card.”

Garvan immediately regretting sitting down. He knew Scag duelled, albeit that he had to use a badly patched up deck using cards he ‘found’. “I’m going to assume that’s your word for stole?”

“No, I found it” the informant scowled, although he was far from convincing. “Anyway, it was very strange. I passed this arcade and saw a group of children arguing. All of them were rounding on the one boy, who looked very scared, and they were supporting a girl by the shoulders, she looked half dead. They were yelling at him ‘What did you do to her?’, ‘What was that monster?’ and so forth, and threatening him until he ran off. I of course followed him, and as I did I saw him throw away a card. I picked it up, and as soon as I did...”

Scag shuddered slightly, and yet a giddy smile overcame him. “As soon as I touched it, I felt something pulse through me. It was incredible. Then I read the name of the card, and instead it bore a number. A Number monster. So I decided to call you.”

“Might I see it?” Scag burst into nervous laughter as soon as Garvan asked the question.

“Ha, like I bought it here with me. You’d take it away. No, it’s in a safe place now. But I tell you this, there is something weird about that Number monster. Something big is going to happen. Call it a horrible feeling, but the two things are connected. You are going to have your hands full.”

Scag continued to laugh to himself as Garvan stood and left. His own investigation would have to continue by going a more direct route to the heart of the matter that things kept coming back to. The VDS.

...11:55:34...

Daiki stared blankly into the terminal start up screen for a few long seconds. He had arrived home; a cosy bungalow in the southern suburbs of Tokyo, quite a while ago, and had since had nothing to do but wait until the appointed time to meet. The time had dragged horribly, but at least the wait was nearly over now. It had been such a long wait for this moment. With a resigned sigh he put on his D-Gazer on, sat himself down and entered the VDS, sinking into blackness before the virtual world took him in.

He had entered so many times before it didn’t take him long to adjust to his surroundings. Daiki’s appearance was the same here as it was in the real world; even down to choosing his favourite tan jacket and jean combination as his preferred clothing, the only change being the D-Disk that had appeared on his arm ready and waiting for any sign of combat. He didn’t care for an extravagant costume. He was also familiar with the area that he had arrived in and been instructed to meet in; an area called the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_City"]Dark City[/url]. A place of eternal night, the towering buildings surrounding the largely empty park square he was stood in were crooked and foreboding. The sinister aura of the place made it an unappealing battle arena for most VDS users, although there were always a few to who this was their idea of paradise, meaning a few dark figures were milling around the edges of the square, occasionally disappearing in pairs as battle commenced. A clock tower stood across the street, ticking down the time to the rendezvous.

He didn’t notice his breathing was in time with the clock, as it reached two minutes to twelve.

A screech of tyres and thunderous growl from behind spun him from his hypnotised state. From the darkness of the street now directly opposite him and the clock tower a single spotlight appeared, shining directly at him. Daiki averted his gaze slightly to the side, but did not raise an arm to shield his eyes. He didn’t move at all even as the motorbike appeared; a bulky crimson and grey model, tearing straight towards him at high speed. Still didn’t move as it blasted into the square at full throttle, unwavering in its path onto the centre square. Didn’t waver under the gaze of the visor staring right at him.

Ten metres before him, the bike hit an incline and launched into orbit. Only as the bike flew over his head did he turn and watch it sail over him and land with a heavy thud, sliding to a stop side on from him.

Without the headlight in his face, Daiki could open his eyes fully to see the rider facing him. Dressed entirely in tight fitting red and grey riding gear matching the bike, the masked rider was staring right at him.

Neither moved for a moment.

“It’s great to see you again... Natsumi.”

The rider’s hands left the controls of the biker and reached up to the lowering helmet, pulling it off. It came away easily, to reveal a hedgehog style of short spiky brown hair, with two barbed pigtails at the back. A severe expression spoiled her face; one that he remembered was once so full of charm. Her red eyes locked into his.

11:59:58... 11:59:59... 12:00:00...[/spoiler]

Archived