Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

Nice to see this has returned to its usual number of comments <_<

Oh well, they are pretty much gaurunteed next week, so I can wait.

Indeed it is Pacman, as you will see very immediately. Chapter 14 now up.

[spoiler=Chapter 7:2]
As soon as the bloody insignia appeared all across the cities of Japan, stage two of Clarissa’s operation began to take effect. In the streets where people were stood transfixed by the sight of the symbol looming down at them from every TV screen, the sound of screeching vehicles and metal smashing suddenly cut through them as cars began to collide around them, having been released by the traffic control systems that had gone haywire. Public transport was no safer for people, as every train across the country slowed and ground to a stop wherever it may have been, and airport terminals went into meltdown as their computers went down, every screen turning to the image of the blood coloured insignia.

At the police headquarters, Keylan froze as his computer went dead. Everything he was working on disappeared from the screen, replaced by the bloody mark. As were the computers used by Yuri, Shigeo, and every other operative in the building. Keylan tried everything to get back into his computer, but nothing responded. Beniko immediately tried to call the general on his office phone; there was no response on the line.

Sitting on a bench outside the front doors of Toshima Hospital, Sakura looked up having thought she saw the lights inside the hospital flicker for a moment. Inside the supermarket Jin was working in, the lights went out for a minute as power also failed momentarily. Automatic factory machines like those in the Gotanno warehouse where the strike unto had met a planned slaughter went similarly berserk. All across the city, various automated systems started to stop or stutter. All under the gaze of Clarissa’s bloody mark.

In one wave of spike attacks, every major computer based operational system in the city went haywire.

...15:31:52...

As quickly as they could, Hideo and Izura made their way from the press room back to the main office. Officials were still trying to usher out the frenzied press with little success, but they had managed to duck out and make their way back. Izura was frantically trying to get through to the others on her D-Gazer, whilst Hideo was storming off in front of her, furious with himself.

“What a fool I was, giving that woman a platform like that” he grumbled to himself. “I played straight into her hands.”

“Sir, calm down” Izura replied. “Who knows what she’d have done if you hadn’t done so. You’ve kept those people safe for a little longer, that’s what matters.”

“Maybe, but what about the rest of the country?” the prime minister grumbled. “What’s going on in the city? Have they had an effect on anything else?”
“I’m trying to get hold of the others sir, but I’m just getting a dead line. The D-Gazer network is controlled from the Real Duel Building itself along with all its other functions; it would be easy for them to shut them all down. Restricting communication will increase a state of mass panic.”

Hideo continued to mutter furiously to himself as they reached his office. Inside were the other ministers. Two of them were frantically at work, but the other two were standing waiting for his return with crossed arms and furious expressions.

“Well what do you suggest we do now to keep the population calm?” Ryuunosuke asked, his beard quivering as he shook with anger. Minori was stood next to him, looking equally disgusted. “The city is descending into a mass panic under the leer of her symbol, and it’s all...”

“My fault, I know” Hideo snapped. “But I did what I had to protect people, and what’s done now is done. So are you just going to stand there saying you told me so, or are you going to do something constructive in dealing with this?” Ryuunosuke continued to glower at him, but was otherwise silent and allowed Hideo to approach Kenji. “How bad is it out there?”

“Pretty bad sir. The entire D-Gazer communication system seems to have gone down and is making it difficult to find out what’s going on, but we’ve got reports of various operational AI systems that control the running of the city have all experienced similar problems since the interruption of your broadcast. Both public transport and traffic throughout seems to be descending into chaos. We haven’t determined how far reaching the problems are yet.”

“What about basic facilities?”

“They seem to have left power supplies alone for now. Everything that’s been affected is computer based; probably all bug work that attacking the systems. I doubt they’d hit power supplies whilst they want to keep the VDS operational.”

“Okay, thank you. Rokuro... Rokuro?”

The defence minister was standing away from the group, talking quietly into a mobile phone. Such a device was unusual now that D-Gazers had made them defunct, but some independent companies still produced them and were still used by those who, like Hideo, were not into the Duel Monsters craze. As the prime minister approached he snapped out of his trance and ended his call, but he could not hide his stressed expression. “Yes?”

“You have a mobile?”

“My D-Gazer is down like everyone else’s, so I thought I’d try this. She seems to have got satellite communication too. But the emergency line system is still open, thankfully.”

“Right. Any word from our defence forces or the police on their progress?”

“Oh, um... they’ve not made much progress yet. I’m afraid sir that they might have run into problems of their own. I’m trying to keep up to date with them and swap information.”

Before Hideo could respond, he was distracted by Izura who had appeared back in the room. Her face was extremely pale. “Sir. Incoming transmission from Real Duel in the boardroom.”

With Rokuro off the hook for now and the dirty looks of his other ministers following him as he went, the prime minister passed Izura as she shuffled weakly out of his way and closed the door behind him. Inside the main boardroom, a few holographic screens were already open, each with the self-satisfied face of Clarissa looking down at him.

[i]“So, I watched your conference. Very good, I’m glad we understand each other.”[/i]

“You used me!” Hideo snapped.

[i]“Of course I did”[/i] was the silky reply, infuriating him further. [i]“There is much at stake that affects everyone, every single person who has ever used the VDS or been associated with this filthy company. My message must reach all of these people. They will hear what I have to say to them, they will listen to me.”[/i]

“What do you want? What’s so important that you have to tell these people that you have to hold millions hostage and threaten the entire country?”

[i]“Ha ha, that’s simple. Because who would listen otherwise, if I turned up all civil with something to say? Who would believe me? Real Duel crushes everyone who speaks a bad word against them, but they deserve to be buried for what they’ve done, and the only one who can do it is me. After today, the VDS will be closed forever, and Real Duel will be shut down. People will want to know why, so I will tell them why, and they will understand. Once they listen to me, and not only will they understand why I have done this, they will sympathise and know that my cause was right, and seek to cleanse themselves of their obsession with this company and change themselves.[/i]

“You honestly think anyone would agree with what you’ve done!?” Hideo couldn’t stop himself from banging his fists on the boardroom table, causing the hologram projecting Clarissa from it to shake. “You honestly believe what you are doing is somehow right?”

Clarissa just smirked at his reaction. [i]“Yes, it is right. Drastic, yes. Harmful, yes. But ultimately right. I believe this is what some might call... for the greater good. You’ll see. Everyone will see when I am ready. Anyway, I must leave you now, for I have many other things to accomplish here in the next few hours before I make my address, and receive my compensation from you.”[/i]

“You called me just to gloat?”

[i]“No. I rang to tell you that we’ve both got more pressing issues to deal with right now. For example, rather than worry your little head about me, you might want to try and stop the havoc you’ve just created across your country. It’s about to get very ugly out there. Ciao.”[/i]

The call ended, and Hideo found himself staring at Clarissa’s insignia on every holographic screen around him.

...15:35:14...

Daiki followed Garvan as they drove in silence from the tombs and back up the side of the crater. Garvan had reasoned that was no need for them to stay in the catacombs now they had met and joined forces. However neither of them really had any idea of where to go. The VDS was just a sprawling world of these areas linked one after the other. The owning company had its own base areas, getting into which was probably the obvious way to go, but they could only be accessed by employees of the company. Garvan hoped he could find someone who could get them in there, but had been as successful in contacting such people as he had contacting Keylan and the others at headquarters.

“So what now?” Daiki finally asked as Garvan stopped at the top of the crater, having tried and failed again to contact one of his people.

“Well, it was probably a suicidal plan for us two to get into Real Duel’s areas anyway. I’m sure our best bet is to get out of the VDS entirely. Nothing keeping us here can be completely infallible, but how we get past it is beyond me.”

“Do you think those dark duelist things hold a key to an escape?”

“No, I’ve already beaten four of them, and all it’s got me is closer to is collapse. Hey, do you think if we just ask one of them politely they’ll tell us?”

“That’s not funny” Daiki muttered as Garvan shot him a forced grin. Reaching into the slot of the D-Disk on his runner, he pulled out his Number card depicting the winged swordsman. “What about these?”

Garvan took out his two Numbers cards, he looked more doubtful than anything. “Maybe.”

[i]“There is no escape!”[/i]

The two officers spun to see the speaker rise from the crater behind them. The dark angel rose up from the tombs below them, floating effortlessly with the lightest flap of its long wings until it was level with them, its D-Disk prominently resting below its folded arms. The creature looked blankly between them, at the cards in their hands.

“Sssss-o? You have Numb-erssss after all....” the creature rasped. As it looked down at them, a wave of loathing swept through Daiki.

“You! You’re the one I just saw in the tomb. The one who slaughtered those two kids!”

“Dai, you can’t possibly know that. They all look the same.”

“I’m telling you Garvan, that’s the same one. Of course it is. What have you done to those kids?”

The angel seemed unaffected by the question. “I fulfilled my duty of searching for Numbers and defeating those who have their power. Their fate is meaningless to me; I just do as I am commanded. As I will continue to do so by taking your friends Numbers” it continued, pointing at Garvan. As it did so, a small ripple of dark energy began to build in the palm of its other hand. “As for you, you have been a thorn in my mistress’ side for long enough, having defeated the others like me and taking their Numbers. But you will not be so lucky this time. This time you will meet your painful demise!”

At the demon angels cry it flung the black D-Anchor towards Garvan. Unable to respond in time he gulped and prepared himself for battle.

That was until Daiki lunged in front of him, and the anchor wrapped around his wrist instead.

What could be seen of the angel’s expression didn’t change as it sank to the earth beside them, but it seemed somehow surprised. It certainly tugged on the D-Anchor, which held tightly in place before it vanished. All it and Garvan could do was watch as Daiki dismounted his runner, unattached his D-Disk from it and attach it over where the anchor had been, before setting himself for battle.

“Mate, what’d you do that for?”

“I want to take on this one. Hopefully if I beat the hell out of it I can force a way out for us. Besides, you’re in no condition to fight. You need to keep yourself safe and work on a way out of here. If you stay another one will come after you.” Garvan opened his mouth to protest, but Daiki cut him off. “Just go, I’ll be fine.”

“Right. That I’ll do. You just worry about him.”

Dai nodded, before Garvan disappeared behind the wall of the alternate reality vision of private duel mode, leaving him in an isolated world with just the angel. Behinds its shoulder, where the dome like structure of the virtual arena formed, a panel appearing depicting the enemies life points and bearing its ominous title. Leviathan.

[i]‘ARV established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

A green light lit up on the D-Disk of the duelist Leviathan, giving it the go ahead for the first move. “I set a monster in defence mode.” The sudden lack of sledging was odd, but Daiki was more concerned that the aggressive looking duelist had started by marshalling the defences of a hidden monster instead. “Then I set a card face down, and end my turn.”

“Is that all?” Daiki had expected much more from this demonic creature, especially after what he had seen of this one. “I know you have a Number. Have you got no way of summoning it against me?” By now he had gathered the creature had no ability to change its expression, but the change of its voice unsettled him as it chuckled softly.

“Numbers are most certainly powerful forces. But there are other forces that even Numbers cannot stand against...”

“We’ll see.” Daiki gave his opening hand the once over. Against an enemy like this, in this situation his Number, Aspiring Emperor Hope, was definitely his best option. Out of the monsters at his disposal right now, he had Shine Knight, Keyman, Real Crusader, and now Speed Bird. No way to make an Xyz summon right now, Hope or otherwise. In that case he would just have to smash through the opponents defence with the strongest monster he could. “Summon. Come out, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Crusader"]Real Crusader[/url]."

Before him appeared a proud warrior, dressed in fine white and gold armour, landing on the dry and dusty earth in front of him with a heavy clank of metal plate (Lv4, ATK 1800). “Now attack his face down.”

From under the billows of its long cloak, the warrior drew a long two handed sword and charged towards the face down card. The demon duelist made no attempt to stop the attack, simply watched as Daiki did as the warrior leapt into the air and came plunging down with its sword towards the card as it flipped over, and released the glow of a portal opening for the monster within as it started to emerge and meet the warrior. ‘[i]What is it? What’s he set?’[/i]
The sword hit the body of the monster before it was out, and the creature it had pierced gave a dying cry. A tail flicked up into sight, before it sank back to the depths of the cemetery. The sight was enough for Daiki, and as the deadly, rattling hiss from the thrashing monster registered with him, he felt a sudden chill numbed his body as he realised what this duelist used. “No way... that wasn’t...”

He already knew it was.

[i]‘Other forces that even Numbers cannot stand against... Oh my god, I’m facing a Venom deck...’[/i]

...15:43:41...

Pacing the ward corridors for the umpteenth time, Mai approached the bedside where Yudai was still lying unconscious with his parents sat beside him. Mr and Mrs Morita had been sat there for some time now, neither having moved nor spoken much unless it was to one of the doctors for an update. They just sat there together with Mr Morita’s arm around his wife’s shoulder, two people who were usually so happy and full of energy now totally drained of life as they stared stonily down at their son’s lifeless body. Sakura had gone outside in need of some air, leaving Mai with the couple. She got on well with them, enough to occasionally meet Mrs Morita socially for they enjoyed similar tastes in theatre and cocktails. But today Mai just didn’t know what to say or do to help them. She guessed there wasn’t anything she could say, other than be here.

As she sat there in awkward silence, a young doctor approached the bedside.

“Is there any sign of an improvement doctor?” Yudai’s father asked.

“I’m afraid not. Actually I regret having to tell you... things seem to be worse with your son than with the others.” Mrs Morita gave a small cry and buried her head into her husband’s shoulder. “The others who have been bought here in this state are all quite stable, with low resting heart-rates and regular brain signals. However Yudai’s heart-rate is erratic at best and he displaying wild brain signals on our equipment. The activity rises and falls, but he seems to be struggling in a way the others aren’t. I cannot say as to why.”

“Is there anything you can do? Anything at all?”

“There’s really not a lot we can do until some of the coma victims wake up, which they will only do in their own time. We can try and give him something to ease him and calm his heart down, but only with your consent.”

Mr Morita didn’t hesitate to give the doctor his permission. “Yes, do whatever you can.”

The doctor acknowledged their approval and walked off, and Mai found herself having to help Mr Morita in sitting his wife down as she worked herself into a worse state. As she did, she glanced at Yudai’s still form. At the pained expression on his face, but that was mirrored by those in the other beds. He had been one of the earliest cases, but still why was his condition different? [i]‘What’s happening to you Yudai?’[/i]

Followed by the apprehensive Keylan and Yuri, Shigeo paced around the office work floor, his ham like fists clenching so tightly to strands of hair the knuckles were turning white. All around him were computer screens locked on Clarissa’s symbol, with all agents working furiously to try and recover them. “Can we get nothing back?”

“Nothing at all sir. Everything’s down.” Keylan’s reply prompted the general to take a swipe at the nearest computer. Shaking his now slowly turning red fist, Shigeo flopped into a seat. “What about the secret service? Did we get what we had to them? Have they been affected?”

“We exchanged all information with them before our systems went down” Yuri replied, carefully watching Shigeo in case he suddenly lashed out at any of the object on the desk and ready to duck if he did. “I don’t know if they have been affected, but no doubt Clarissa will have tried to bring them down as well. Their representative agent is here and trying to get in contact with them now.”

As the group continued on, a heavily armed Beniko came towards them, followed by five other men in battle and camo gear. “Sir, what do we do now? Do you still want us to go to the RDL Building?”

“Sir, if they go as things are, we might struggle to keep in contact with them” Keylan tried to offer his advice, but it was not appreciated. The general cast around the operations base around him, looking fit to burst as he decided on what he wanted to do.

“I don’t want you to go and scout. I want you to go and attack. Get every officer you can to suit up and go and get those terrorists by force.” Several men started protesting all at once, but Shigeo shouted them all down. “I don’t care what the prime ministers orders are; I’m not having this go on any longer.”

[i]“Stand down Superintendant.”[/i]

Shigeo turned to face the speaker, the agent from the secret service. A tall thin man with shaggy brown hair and stubble, definitely not Japanese, was folding up his laptop and seemed to be on his way out. His aura was of total calm, a complete contrast to Shigeo, and he regarded the general with a sorry look. “You think the best way to deal with a snake is to grab its head?”

“I think the best way is to cut off its head!”

The agent barely tried to suppress a laugh at his response. “True, but you have to go about it cautiously. No point doing that if you’re going to kill yourself, or others, in the process.”

With Shigeo gaping hopelessly at him, the agent slung his coat over his shoulder and turned to leave. “I’ve made contact with my colleagues. They’ve received everything they need from you, and they have been largely unaffected by the attack on them. We appreciate your support in this, but we don’t depend on it, and we will certainly not allow a bloated bull elephant like you to endanger it. If you make any move on the RDL Building without our go ahead, we will know, and you will be taken into custody and replaced by one of our guys. Either way, we’ll be in further touch superintendant. Good day.”

The agent saw himself out, leaving an astounded group in his wake.

...15:47:08...

Neither duelist had moved since Real Crusader had destroyed the face down monster. The dark angel Leviathan was waiting for Daiki to finish his turn, and Daiki was certainly in no rush to do that. Something the creature was happy to pick up on.

“I activate nothing in response to the destruction of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Venom_Snake"]Venom Snake[/url]" it said simply. “There is also nothing more for you to do other than place any other pathetic cards you have and accept what is going to happen to you. You know what you’re up against, so you’ll no doubt be trying to think of a way to counter my strategy. But think all you want, because you cannot hope to stop me with your weak little cards like that Real Crusader.”

[i]‘He’s half right about that’ [/i]Daiki thought.[i] ‘When a level five or higher monster is special summoned, Real Crusader automatically releases itself to destroy that monster. The way Venom decks are based and how they summon their boss monsters; that makes him possibly the best and worst card I could have on the field right now. That all depends on his face down card.’[/i]

Daiki tried, pointlessly, to read the creature’s expression. [i]‘He’s only got one plan in mind, and it doesn’t involve the Number he’s got, but the Venom’s top monster. Venominon is something Crusader will automatically deal with, but if that face down is that card, then I’ll be in real trouble when it does. He knows that and will look to exploit it. I have to stop that from happening, by any means necessary.’[/i]

“I place one card face down and end my turn. Bring it on!”

“Be careful what you wish for” Leviathan snarled as it drew its card. “You’ll regret getting it. Now my deck is out in the open, I’ll activate the field magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Venom_Swamp"]Venom Swamp[/url]!"

As the system registered the cards activation, the walls of the dome began to shimmer and alter. In the VDS, the areas of the world people played in were based on the field magic cards that existed in the game, and provided the backdrop to great duels simply as a visual experience. When a field magic was activated, the ARV would reflect the area around them to match the new location on a small scale, despite them still being in the area of the tombs. The complexity of taking little copies of different areas and temporarily reflecting them elsewhere many times a minute throughout the world would be enormous, but still none of the gruesome detail of the swamp growing rapidly around Daiki was lost. The once hard and dusty ground turned to thick dark tar beneath him, dragging him and his Real Crusader into their ankles. Where there had been endless desert, he was now surrounded by dense jungle. Heavy swamp mist pressed him further into the tar. It may have been his nerves, but Daiki could have sworn something was crawling up his leg.

The change seemed to suit Leviathan quite nicely. “Now we can truly begin. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Venom_Serpent"]Venom Serpent[/url] to the field.” From the bog emerged a two headed snake, hissing and bearing its poisonous fangs (Lv4, ATK 1000). “Then I’ll activate its effect, placing a venom counter on your monster.”

The serpent lunged with lightning speed towards the immobilized warrior, biting it on the sword arm. Unable to react, the crusader visibly sagged (ATK 1300). “Now Venom Swamp’s effect comes into play” Leviathan continued. “Every monster loses five hundred attack points for every venom counter placed on them. But since this isn’t enough to put my Serpent in a position to attack you, I’ll just place two more cards face down and end my turn, at which point another effect of Venom Swamp activates. This places another venom counter on all non-Venom monsters during each players end phase. Thus your monster becomes even weaker.”

[i]‘Ah great, more face down cards’ [/i]Daiki could feel sweat trickling down him as he watched Crusader take another deadly bite from a snake living in the swamp (ATK 800).[i] ‘Okay, I just have to stay calm and think this through. I know that in order to set himself up, he needs his face down cards to be three things. First he needs something to summon Venominon to the field. I would say that was the card he set first turn, and would be either Damage Condenser or Damage = Reptile. Then the second card he needs is something to destroy Venominon with, like Offering to the Snake Deity. Then thirdly and most crucially, when Venominon is destroyed, he needs the trap card Snake God Descends. I have to assume the worst, and that he has that hidden amongst them.’[/i]

Daiki gave the field another once over, before drawing his card. The image of a small girl holding a large bell only made his position more tortuous. [i]‘Course all of this depends on me tipping the first domino and letting him activate the first part of the chain, which I could do with this girl’s help.’[/i]

As he looked at the card, a pair of terrified eyes swam back into his vision. The eyes of the terrified little girl, which this Leviathan creature had butchered at the orders of its mistress. The image must have blurred his judgement. [i]‘I know what I have to do now. I have to take this guy down. Not by messing around second guessing and letting him manipulate me, but by going all out and finishing him as quickly as I can. Just like he did those kids.’[/i]

“You’ll pay for this! I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Saambell_the_Summoner"]Summoner Sambel[/url]."

From the portal emerged a small girl with auburn pigtails and a cute dress. In her arms she clung to a large brass bell, which must have weighed twice as much as her (Lv2, ATK 600). “Next I activate Sambel’s effect. One time only, she can call out the help of another monster in my hand whose level is equal to her own. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Key_Man_the_Key_Warrior"]Key Warrior Keyman[/url], and overlay him with Sambel. Xyz summon!”

The summoner girl and bronze plated warrior disappeared into the swirling vortex, allowing the mottled grey golem [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Solid_Frozen_Gantetsu"]Solid Frozen Gantetsu[/url] to rise in their stead (Rk2, ATK 900).

“Thanks to the effect of Gantetsu, every monster I control gains two hundred attack points for each of his overlay units. Right now, that puts Crusader back in its rightful place as the strongest thing on the field. Now cut that snakes head off!”

The warrior lunged and with one swipe decapitated both of the serpent’s heads. Leviathan took a step back as it felt the effect of the minor blow (LP 3800) but countered otherwise unfazed, revealing the first trap as Daiki had predicted. “After all that thought, you still took the bait! I activate the permanent trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_%3D_Reptile"]Damage = Reptile[/url]. When I take damage from a battle involving a reptile type monster, I can summon another one from my deck whose attack is less than that damage. I call on the ruler of snakes, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vennominon_the_King_of_Poisonous_Snakes"]Poison Snake King Venominon[/url]!"

From the swamp rose the sinister figure of the snake king. With royal purple and velvet robes draped over its slimy scales, its gold headdress dulled by the gloomy fog, the snake reared up to double Daiki’s height, hissing and spitting poison at him (Lv8, ATK 1000). “Venominon’s base attack points are zero, but then it gains five hundred for each reptile in my cemetery.”

“Irrelevant, because that’s right where it’s heading” Daiki roared. “The effect of Real Crusader activates when a high level monster is special summoned, sacrificing itself to destroy it!”

The warrior steeled itself, before taking one last flying lunge at the towering snake king. The giant snake snapped at him at the same moment, biting him in the midriff, but at the same time exposing itself for the warrior to plunge its sword into the creature’s neck behind the golden headwear. Both monsters screamed in agony, before sinking into the swamp.

As they fell away, Daiki could see Leviathan standing with his head bowed. He was overcome by a fit of laughter.

“Now, your fate is sealed! Venominon has been destroyed by a card effect, which means I can activate my trap, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rise_of_the_Snake_Deity"]Snake God Descends[/url]!" As predicted, the trap on the left pulled back, to reveal the key to the Venom’s most destructive weapon. “With this card, I can call on the power of an unstoppable god!”

“I activate my trap card!” This was what Daiki had waited for. "[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Tools_of_the_Bandit"]Seven Tools of the Bandit[/url]. At the cost of a thousand of my own life points, I can negate the activation of a trap and destroy it!” As the card opened and took effect, Daiki felt himself shudder and weaken slightly (LP 3000). “It’s a big price to pay, but it’s worth it to bring justice on you for hurting all the people you’ve attacked today.”

“Counter trap activate” Leviathan snapped, and Daiki froze as the other face down opened. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Bribe"]Dark Shrine Bribery[/url]! This negates your little trap at the expense of giving you a card. But now that Snake God Descends can continue unhindered, one card is no price at all. No one card can stop this.”

[i]‘Oh no...’[/i]

“Rise, Poison Snake God Venominaga!”

15:59:58... 15:59:59... 16:00:00...[/spoiler]

Hoping to get plenty of writing done next week, providing I can get over this damned flu at some point soon. Anyway, enjoy and feel free to leave a comment. No honestly, feel free.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I was going to comment on 7:1 separately, but then Game of Thrones finished downloading. Some seven-odd hours later, here I am.

It doesn't feel like we're making much progress with the story at the moment. On one hand, we have Daiki and Garvan cutting down another Angel - because something tells me Daiki will win this duel, could just be a gut feeling - and on the other hand, we have Clarissa preparing for her big reveal. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a mid-story chapter, but it feels like we're in a bit of a lull.

Just my two cents.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1333732505' post='5903873']
SPOILER:The demon guy is gonna draw Snake Rain and do things.

Yeah...hooray for mass panic! And bad guys summoning almost invincible monsters!

Yay!
[/quote]

Spoiler: Maybe... but you're definately right about one thing. Venominaga was chosen very, very early on for this role, as it is one of the ultimate 'oh s*** how does the hero overcome this?' monsters, and it makes a nice change (and an ironic one) to Numbers all the time. There is another reason it was chosen, but you'll have to wait until Tuesday to find out what it is... *shot for being a jerk*

I wonder how the hero will overcome this?

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1333740133' post='5904082']
To be fair, I was going to comment on 7:1 separately, but then Game of Thrones finished downloading. Some seven-odd hours later, here I am.

It doesn't feel like we're making much progress with the story at the moment. On one hand, we have Daiki and Garvan cutting down another Angel - because something tells me Daiki will win this duel, could just be a gut feeling - and on the other hand, we have Clarissa preparing for her big reveal. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a mid-story chapter, but it feels like we're in a bit of a lull.

Just my two cents.
[/quote]

Why have I still not watched Game of Thrones when it looks amazing? Because I don't watch TV. At all. Except for re-runs of Top Gear and QI and The Crystal Maze...

Back on topic.

Admitantly it is a bit of a transition period as Clarissa's terrorism goes widescale and the characters are still finding their way a little bit. Don't worry, it has all been mostly planned chapter for chapter so it should all work out (and I [i]shouldn't[/i] be cramming at the end...) Some pretty big stuff happens next week though...

I don't watch TV at all either, but after actually watching Game of Thrones I have arrived at the conclusion that you should still watch Game of Thrones, because it's amazing. I could even fetch you a download link, if you so desired.

Alright, looking forward to next week's chapter(s), then. Can't wait to see Vennominaga in action: it's definitely one of the best things to come out of GX, so it should be wonderful here.

Chapter 15...

Includes a few returning characters, and the conclusion of Daiki vs Venominaga...

[spoiler=Chapter 8:1]
[b]The following takes place between 4PM and 5PM.[/b]

“Do you see anything?”

About a mile south of the RDL Building on a slight rise, JFN reporter Haita Tamiko and her cameraman Lei Su Yeng were scooping out the place where they believed the source of this terrorist threat was coming from. They had listened to the prime minister’s broadcast and he of course had not confirmed the nature of the threat, but it didn’t take much to put two and two together. Tamiko was determined to discover the truth; it was her duty to the listeners, even if it might cost her her career.

“The entranceways have been barricaded” Lei replied, surveying the buildings complex through the sharpest zoom he could get. “I think I see people patrolling the insides as well.”

“Do you think there’s a way we can get any closer for a better shot?”

Lei did not reply verbally, instead just giving Tamiko an incredulous look. Well she couldn’t blame him. She couldn’t order him to do anything so dangerous. Slumping herself down on a rock, the reporter tried to organise her report in her head. A slight rustling behind her of some animal was distracting, but she focused on what she would say, what she could say to try and help people.

The rustling got loud enough for Lei to notice, and to completely put her off. The pair turned to...

“Freeze!”

Jumping out of their skin, the pair threw up their hands as a small group of men emerged from all around them, all pointing various firearms at them. The men were of frightening appearance, all dressed in covert uniform and faces painted.

“Step away from the camera and lay down!” the leader ordered.

Lei did as he was told, but Tamiko refused to budge. “Wait, I’m with JFN media as a reporter. I’m here to uncover and tell the truth of what’s going on to the people, you can’t silence me.”

The leader eased a little and was calmer in his reply, although he did keep his gun fixed on her. “Ma’am, I appreciate that you think you’re doing the right thing, but we have to, by any means that we have to. You are jeopardising a live operation and the millions of people you’re trying to protect with your presence here. Now step away from the camera.” The man reached into his pocket and revealed his ID, the badge of the secret service.

...16:01:00...

In the little area of the tombs that had been transformed into the putrid Venom Swamp, Daiki was having difficulty breathing. Not because of the dank mist that hung around the air. But because of the unstoppable creature that had risen from the murky depths and that he was now faced by. A huge snake for the lower half with a gorged main body as thick as a tree trunk at its widest part, but as his vision craned upwards the serpents body joined seamlessly to the waist and bust of a woman. Not a beautiful woman, but a medusa, with glowing eyes and fangs and long wild hair of twisting snakes. The woman’s slim shoulders deceptively had the strength to support its two arms, which instead of extending into graceful hands, thickened and grew into two heavy snake heads that were glaring menacingly at him. This was the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vennominaga_the_Deity_of_Poisonous_Snakes"]Poison Snake God Venominaga[/url].

Standing beside its ultimate creature was the dark angel that had summoned it, the creature called Leviathan (LP 3800). “You fool! You should have left your friend to the slaughter of my god snake instead of offering yourself. But now there is nothing that can happen except you becoming its latest prey. From the look on your face, you know that Venominaga is unaffected by all monster, magic and trap cards, meaning you cannot use any card effects to get rid of it. Also, its attack and defence are equal to the number of reptiles in my cemetery times five hundred. Currently there are three, but that won’t remain so for long. In short, you cannot beat it!” The snake god flexed its arms accordingly (Lv8, ATK 1500).

“Oh, you might have summoned it, but believe me I’ll find a way to beat it.” Currently, all Daiki had protecting him from the monster was Solid Frozen Gantetsu, still with all its overlay units intact (Rk2, ATK 900) and a large chunk of his own life points (LP 3000). Although Venominaga’s attack strength wasn’t too menacing a total right now, it could soon spiral out of hand, and if it did, if Daiki allowed it to become too powerful, victory could be impossible.

“Thanks to the effect of Dark Shrine Bribery, I can draw one card. I place it face down and end my turn.”

“At this time, the effect of Venom Swamp activates!” Leviathan declared. “During the end phase, all non-Venom monsters gain a venom counter, and lose five hundred attack points for each counter they have. Of course my monster is unaffected.”

Another snake leapt from the muck underneath the golem and bit it on the foot, causing its strength to lower (ATK 400). Daiki braced himself as Leviathan drew his card, and stretched a claw like finger out towards him. “Now Venominaga, attack his golem!”

At lightning speed, one of the snake heads lashed out like a coiled spring, jaws wide open and fangs bared. The head went straight through the body of Gantetsu, piercing straight through like it wasn’t even there. The golem remained in position, clutching the serpent body poking through its chest as the head continued on towards Daiki’s paralysed form, and the jaws clamped shut around his waist and the teeth sunk in.

Daiki half felt himself flop sideways as the poison immediately kicked in, the simulation of the fast acting toxin rushing through his blood into every part of his mind and body, numbing his thoughts and movements. It was just a simulated effect, right? It certainly didn’t feel like it as his legs buckled, although the head of the snake held him in place for a few moments more before releasing him and let him drop to his knees, shaking and not clearly able to see it retract back through Gantetsu to its original coiled position (LP 1900).

“Now another effect of Venominaga becomes a factor” Leviathan continued coldly as Daiki tried to clear his head. “When it inflicts damage to your life points, you become intoxicated by its poison, which is kept track of by the use of ‘hyper venom counters’.” Dumbly, Daiki looked behind him at the indicator of his status reflected by the wall of ARV. Below his life point total, a glowing symbol of a snake appeared. “When you have taken two more hits, and thus accumulated three hyper venom counters, then it will all be over. Irrespective of life points, your mind will collapse, as will your body in the real world.”

Daiki was barely listening to the hellish creature. He refused to give up. If he could just get out one of his strongest Xyz monsters, any of them, he could crush that snake yet. Clinging to that thought, he forced himself onto his feet. “I will not go down so easily. I will end your bloody campaign. Now Gantetsu might have been beaten by that battle, but he’s not out of this yet, as he can survive by detaching one of his overlay units.” (ATK 200)

“Next, because I took battle damage, I can activate the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Condenser"]Damage Condenser[/url]! By discarding a card, I can summon any monster from my deck whose attack is equal to or less than the damage I took. Come forth, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Warrior_Lady_of_the_Wasteland"]Warrior Lady of the Wasteland[/url]." A slim woman appeared from the portal beside him. She was without any real armour, instead garbed in a comparatively small green top and skirt with a ragged travelling cloak and battered hat that covered her long blonde locks. Obviously confident not to plate up like other warriors, she held a short sword in her heavily bandaged hand (Lv4, ATK 1100). With her on the field, all Daiki had to do was summon Speed Bird from his hand on his next turn.

However, her appearance did not seem to worry Leviathan at all. Instead quite the opposite. “You’re going to regret that choice. I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Venom_Shot"]Venom Shot[/url]! This sends another venom monster from my deck to the cemetery in order to place two venom counters on a monster.” Two snakes flew out of the swamp, the warrior lady cried as they bit her on each of her exposed thighs (ATK 100). “Of course now I have another snake in my cemetery, Venominaga gains another five hundred attack points. With that I’ll end my turn, so Venom Swamp kicks in again and places another counter on each monster.”

Again the snakes jumped and injected their poison. This time both of Daiki’s monsters faltered, and began to sway violently (ATK 0). “Oh and by the way, because both of your monsters attack points will become zero by this effect, Venom Swamp’s other effect activates and destroys them.”

Gantetsu, on account of its remaining overlay unit, was able to survive. However Daiki could only watch as the blonde swordswoman fell forward and collapsed into the swamp, only half able to fight another snake that wrapped itself around her waist before it pulled her into the depths. Her bandaged hand was the last part to disappear as the sword fell from it, and sank into the swamp without a trace. The sight was a horrible prospect.

“You understand this is what will happen to you” Leviathan solemnly continued as Daiki sank under the influence of the venom again. “Any other monster you could have summoned might have survived this turn. But everything you do is ultimately futile. As the paralysis takes grip of you and your mind shuts down under its influence, you will become lost. Take your turn, if you have anything left to give.”

...16:10:15...

“Er, Clarissa...?”

Clarissa perked up from her computer to look at the technician that had addressed her. He seemed most distressed by something on his computer screen. Passing around the table to look over his shoulder, she could see he was monitoring various areas of the VDS, what was happening in those sections, and any duels that were taking place. The technician indicated what he had seen.

“Wilhelm! Evos!”

“Yes?” her brother replied in a bored fashion, unwelcoming of the distraction, whilst the doctor perked up from his work with a bemused expression.

“Look at this!” The duo convened around her, but neither immediately seemed to realise why she was so angry for a moment. When it did sink in, an awkward silence overcame them both. “Look. Look what’s happening. You know what I wanted, and you both said this was not going to happen.”

Both men remained mute with embarrassment. “Well, it doesn’t matter right now. It clearly has happened, now we’ve got to fix it right now. How do we get him out?”

“Um... we can’t” Evos replied, even though he knew how the answer would go down. But if that was the truth, that was the truth. “Once it’s started, then we can’t really do anything.”

“Don’t give me that! Wilhelm, get him out. You can get him out.”

The little brother seemed stunned by the request. He was about to say something, but to his and everyone else’s amazement he was interrupted by Clarissa crouching down beside him and taking his hand in hers. Her expression was remained fiercely adamant, although somehow curious to him as she stared into his eyes. “Please brother, you have to do this... and not just for me...”

“...I’ll see what I can do.”

Racing into yet another new area of the VDS on his runner, Garvan continued to frantically make call after call on his D-Gazer, whilst knowing that somewhere not too far behind him more of the demonic angels would be hot on his wheels. Daiki might have felt he was doing him a favour by protecting him from that one back in the Tomb of the Dead Emperor, except that it now seemed that the group controlling this army had seemed to deem him a sufficient threat to send more forces after him at once. He had managed to lose them once or twice through quickly warping to areas at random, but only for a few minutes at a time.

[i]‘Come on, come on, pick up...’[/i]

Somewhere just above and behind him, a large portal was starting to open up. One wide enough for more than several of the accursed creatures to soar through and descend upon him. Garvan was already pushing his machine to the max; mercifully the barren land he was crossing was flat and empty of obstacles, but he was begging for more speed. Numbers or not, there was only so much of this that any one man could withstand.

[i]“What?”[/i]

The speaker answering directly in his ear all of a sudden made him jump. “Finally, I’ve been trying to get hold of you for ages.”

[i]“I know. I’ve been ignoring you. You know not to contact me; that I have enough to do right now.”[/i]

“I know that, but it’s urgent. I’ve got problems. There’s a ton of these solider duelists on my tail. I need you to get me away from them and out of the VDS.” Glancing back over his shoulder, the first of the dark angels were pulling through the portal, and were going to spot him.

[i]“Why are you in the VDS while this is happening?”[/i]

“I’m here because it’s in line with my duties. You know what I do” was the snappy reply. Garvan regretted it immediately, as the person on the other end of the line went silent... then cut off. At that same moment, the soldiers spotted him. Cursing, he changed location at random again, desperate to get away, finding himself suddenly hurtling through a large castle like structure, then once again into a Jurassic jungle. He hoped it would buy him some more time, but all too soon the large portal was opening high above him again, this time they would be coming straight for him.

Just before the gang of winged assassins emerged, another portal opened in front of the runner. This one was not of his creation, and unable to react, Garvan ploughed straight through it.

Blinking in surprise, Garvan found himself in a completely new world. His runner had gone, and he was sat in a small bubble like space. The bubble was see-through, outside he could she a blank empty space stretching endlessly in every direction, with swirling vortexes and portals to other worlds dotted around at random. He pushed against the side of his little space, and found himself cocooned in.

[i]“Well, there you are. And there you can stay until I decide to contact you.”[/i]

...16:12:11...

Somewhere deep in the heart of Moscow, a young man was lying on the floor of his bedroom and beginning to stir. Groaning and clutching his sore head, Vladimir sat up and tried to compose himself. His room was considerably sized, his mother worked hard and had been well looked after in the wake of his fathers death, but despite the size it was cramped and cluttered with all his weights, judo gear, clothes and general junk, and the top line spec of Real Duel Terminals that was right in front of him as he sat up. Rubbing his back (he seemed to have fallen back and landed on his chair awkwardly) Vladimir tried to think why he would be lying on his floor like this to begin with.

[i]‘I remember being in the canyon... and duelling against some weird old guy.’[/i] Fragments of the duel against the old man came and went, as Vladimir pieced together images of various monsters despite his throbbing head. He remembered a giant camera like machine, but he couldn’t remember the old man summoning that. Then he remembered the appearance of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Ray_Lancer"]Black Ray Lancer[/url], the camera monster being destroyed, and then the manta ray like creature lunging... towards... him...

[i]‘I... lost...?’[/i]

As soon as that possibility arrived, the full scene knitted itself together. It hadn’t made sense before then, but once he stumbled on that; the ridiculous notion that he’d actually lost, it all made sense.

The realisation did not go down well.

[i]‘I can’t believe I lost. I was beaten... no, humiliated... by that decrepit old man. I... I didn’t even make a scratch on him. He totally wiped the floor with me. How?’[/i] Once more the giant camera monster floated across his vision, and more memories of the event came back. How he acquired the card, a powerful new creature called a Number, from a strange demon like duelist. How the old man had challenged him because of it. How he felt, such power, when he’d summoned the powerful Number and then...

His massive fists slammed against the wooden chair he had been sitting on. The back pieces crumpled and cracked under the force.

[i]‘No...’[/i]

Ignoring that he had half destroyed chair as he up-righted it and reset himself, ignoring the list of missed calls on his D-Gazer, Vladimir reloaded the arcade terminal and prepared himself for the sinking feeling of re-entering the VDS.

[i]‘I am the West Asian champion, the mighty Tsar of Stone, Vladimir Kanchev. I will not be beaten by some old fool. Not like this. I am going to find him, and settle this.’[/i]

...16:12:33...

“Alright, I draw.” Sluggish as his brain might have been, Daiki managed to place his hand to his deck and pause there to gather himself. So far luck seemed to be firmly against him in this duel. Against this monster, he desperately needed that to change, and now.

Leviathan: LP 3800, Hand 1, Field of Venominaga, Venom Swamp, and Damage=Reptile
Daiki: LP 1900, Hand 2, Field of Solid Frozen Gantetsu

Slowly drawing the card, Daiki glanced at it with baited breath. Finally, as he looked at his card, something was going his way, and giving him a chance to turn the tide. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Bird"]Speed Bird[/url] from my hand.” A small pterodactyl creature appeared over his head (Lv4, ATK 1200).

“Then I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Reborn"]Raise Dead[/url]! This summons one monster back from the cemetery. I choose Real Crusader.” The noble swordsman rose up from the portal, a bit battered since his defeat, but just as devout as Daiki reached into his extra deck. “Now I overlay my two level four monsters. Xyz summon!”

Once more, the mark of the Number 39 appeared on his hand, and he felt the weight of the monsters power on his mind. It was less intense this time, although he somehow felt that if he didn’t concentrate, one slip of his willpower, then the earth might crumble beneath him and send him falling into a dark pit of madness. It was a chance he’d just have to take now. “I call on the shining radiance of the noble warrior. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_39%3A_Utopia"]Number 39: Aspiring Emperor - Hope[/url]! Attack Venominaga!”

The glorious swordsman had barely unfurled its wings from his sealed form before it lunged towards the snake god, swords drawn (Rk4, ATK 2500). The twin snake appendages shot out of meet it, but Hope evaded them with ease before slashing at the medusa’s head. There was a horrible hissing noise as the blade sank into the creature’s neck, before the medusa’s head slowly slid off, and the whole body crumbled and sank into the mire after it.

As the creature crashed into the bog, Leviathan snarled in pain as it took the simulated damage shock (LP 3300). “When Venominaga is destroyed by battle, I can activate its final effect. By removing one reptile from my cemetery, I can resurrect her once more!”

No sooner had the snake vanished than it was rising up again, the various parts of its body hissing furiously at Daiki and baying for his blood (ATK 1500). Daiki grimaced, he knew it would return, but at least he was on the right track. Just keep destroying it, keep slowly weakening it, and eventually it would succumb. “I switch Gantetsu into defence mode and end my turn.”

“Venom Swamp activates, placing a venom counter on your monsters. Not even your Number can escape from this!” As the white and gold plated warrior shuddered with the pain of the poison passing through it, Daiki felt a cold shiver run through him. The idea that even the mighty Hope could be harmed by this effect and seeing it happen unnerved him (ATK 2000). “Now it’s my turn. I activate the magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pot_of_Duality"]Pot of Greed and Modesty[/url] to pick up three cards, and then select one to add to my hand.” As Leviathan added the cards to hand, a cruel laugh came from it.

“I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Snake_Rain"]Snake Rain[/url]! By discarding one card, I can send four reptiles from my deck to my cemetery. With these monsters, plus the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Venom_Boa"]Venom Boa[/url] I’ve discarded, there are now eight reptiles in my cemetery for my god to feed on and gain the unstoppable power of four thousand attack points!”

For the first time, as the snake god shuddered and grew in stature, a strange feeling came over Daiki. Everything he had done in this duel seemed to have worked against him, every fortune seemed to fall in favour of this demon, and now the position would be near impossible to recover. There wasn’t any way he could see to get out of this. He was going to be defeated, and if that happened...

“You’re finished! Venominaga, attack his Number!”

“I activate Hope’s effect” Daiki responded just in time. “By detaching one overlay unit, this attack is negated.”

Using its steel like wings, Hope managed to block the attack of the snake before it could strike it. The area shook with the resonating force of the snake striking the metal, and Daiki was shocked to find he was so weak that the force made him stagger. “I’m not giving up. Not until it’s absolutely over.”

“I doubt you would, but it is over” Leviathan replied, watching Daiki struggle to stay upright. “Once again during my end phase, your Number gets a little weaker. Soon it will be drained of all its strength by this arena and will eventually succumb to it, not even the Numbers power can stop that. Or it will run out of overlay units. Whatever the case, your hope will run out, and you will fall like the others and I will take the Numbers...” The duelist paused for a moment. “...to the mistress.”

[i]‘I can do this, there must be a way’[/i] Daiki thought to himself, which by now in itself was a painful process. The one card left in his hand since the start was [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Jar_of_Avarice"]Jar of Avarice[/url], with it and his draw phase he could manage a comeback. Somehow, he could make a comeback. “I draw...”

[i]“...uuuuuuuhhhhh......”[/i]

Daiki stopped and shuddered as a long, sinister, wheezing noise crept through him. Turning to the source of the noise, Daiki was amazed to find he was staring at a frail, aged looking man, sat hunched forward in a mechanized wheelchair and glaring at him with miscoloured eyes. The man seemed oblivious to the giant snake god or the horrid surrounds, his attention was fixed entirely on him, and he had the creepiest smile on his face.

“So.... you’re Daiki....”

“Um... yes.” So battered by the effects of the duel, Daiki responded benignly, as if he was half drunk. “Who are you? How are you here?”

“My name... is Wilhelm.” The man seemed to have real problems breathing and speaking, as he slowly rolled towards where Daiki was standing in the swamp. “I can see you because I was able to change this duel to public view, so I’m free to get involved. But more about me later... I’m confused as to why you are duelling this drone. They’re not supposed to attack you...”

“It went to use its rope thing on my friend” Daiki mumbled. “But I jumped in the way. What do you mean; they’re not supposed to attack me?”

Wilhelm ignored him. “Oh... I see... well now that the D-Anchor is attached to you... it won’t break until the duel ends. However I think I can get you out of this. Dawson...” Wilhelm spoke into his D-Gazer, leaving Daiki even more confused. “Find the profile of this person and restore its memory.”

There was a pause as whoever this Dawson was did his work. Daiki watched and waited in silence, glancing between Wilhelm and the demon duelist standing like a statue by Venominaga. That was until a few moments passed, and Leviathan slowly reached to its head and shook itself, as if it was coming out of a trance.

“What the... where am... YOU!!” Daiki jumped as the creature caught sight of the man in the wheelchair, and instantly seemed to display a genuine emotion that it had been previously incapable of. Its voice had changed to a more human sound, possibly of a young woman. “You’re the one who killed President Shinawatra! You’re the one responsible for this!”

Then it clicked. “You’re part of the extremist group that’s seized Real Duel and is doing all this? That made this thing?”

Wilhelm’s smile grew wider. “Ooh, he’s worked it all out. Well, eventually. I’ll address you in a minute... but first of all I’ve got orders to follow and pull you out of this mess you’ve created for yourself. Honestly... even with a Number out... how did you manage to screw up this duel this badly...?”

“Bah” Daiki snapped, unwilling to answer. That this man who had suddenly appeared was responsible in part for all that was happening shocked him, and he loathed the idea of talking to him, let alone being rescued by him. “And why should you care about rescuing me?”

“Why should you care when I’m offering you a lifeline?”

“Enough talk” the ignored Leviathan screamed. “You killed President Shinawatra, now I’m going to make you pay.” With that a second D-Anchor launched from the creature and tethered itself to Wilhelm’s arm. If anything this reaction seemed to please him.

“Well then, looks like we’re partners in this Daiki. Stuck together... you and me... What do you say...?”

“I say I’m going to enjoy watching you get eaten alive by that snake, even if I am the dessert!”

The reply made Wilhelm laugh, which in turn made Daiki shudder. “I’m going to enjoy playing with you Daiki... I really am. Now then...” The extra mechanical arm of the wheelchair folded across Wilhelm’s lap, serving as his D-Disk as five cards offered themselves to him. “... let’s do this!”

Leviathan: LP 3300, Hand empty, Field of Venominaga, Venom Swamp, and Damage=Reptile
Wilhelm: LP 4000, Hand 5, Field empty
Daiki: LP 1900, Hand 1, Field of Number 39: Hope and Solid Frozen Gantetsu

“If Daiki doesn’t mind, I’ll take my turn now” Wilhelm declared, accepting the sixth card offered automatically to him. “I draw... and activate the permanent magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Future_Fusion"]Future Fusion[/url]. By using this card, I can send monsters listed as materials for a fusion monster I possess... from the deck to the cemetery. Then in two turns, if Future Fusion is still in play... I can summon that fusion monster. So I send nine machines to the cemetery... including three copies of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Cyber_Dragon"]Cyber Dragon[/url], for the summoning of Chimeratech Overdragon.” As Daiki watched Wilhelm feed the cards into the cemetery one after the other, the weird sadistic look he had unsettled him. Leviathan didn’t seem fazed despite her part restoration. She still had Venominaga at max strength, but still...”

“But why wait two turns... when I can summon it right now? I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Overload_Fusion"]Overload Fusion[/url]. By banishing all the monsters I just used for Future Fusion, I can fusion summon a machine type monster right now. I summon the devastating mechanical monstrosity, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Chimeratech_Overdragon"]Chimeratech Overdragon[/url]!"

From a large portal overhead, the monster pulled itself through and hovered eerily over them. Nine gleaming silver dragon heads, all attached to a chunky main body of reinforced steel at every angle they could be fitted on and ending in a long mace like tail. Daiki covered his ears as every head screeched in tandem, a horrible scraping metal noise that would surely be heard across the entire system. And whoever heard it would know to run as fast as they could in the other direction, as nothing they had would even come close to the juggernauts current power (Lv9, ATK 7200).

“Chimeratech Overdragon’s attack becomes equal to the number of monsters used to summon it multiplied by eight hundred” Wilhelm explained. “Plus it also can attack an equal number of times as well. So let’s start. Blast away head number one! Evolution Result Burst!”

One of the heads opened its silver maw and revealed a laser cannon inside, immediately firing its bright laser at the snake god. The laser lanced through it with a series of explosions, the force of which threw Leviathan backwards as Venominaga sank (LP 100).

“It’s not over... I can still revive Venominaga with her effect...” The snake god rose again, in defence and slightly weaker this time (DEF 3500). Wilhelm mercilessly continued.

“Head number two, Evolution Result Burst!”

A second blast of explosions, and Venominaga was annihilated again. Again Leviathan used its effect to remove a reptile from play and revive it, slightly weaker once more. Then the process would repeat for the third head. Then the fourth, fifth and the sixth. Each time the snake god came back a little bit weaker, a bit more mangled and covered in blood and gore, missing a few more large chunks of body or one of the snake heads that served as its weapons. Daiki watched the proceedings with a horrified fixation, the sheer malicious glee this was giving Wilhelm to inflict this much destruction and pain.

As the eighth head’s laser cut through the broken Venominaga, Leviathan sank to her knees. This time, with no more snakes left to sacrifice, the snake was gone for good. Wilhelm had stopped smiling now, and was looking at the broken duelist with a savage hatred.

“You want to know something... before I completely destroy you? I have... ten... machines in my deck... that I could have used for the creation of this dragon. I could have summoned it with enough firepower to beat you with the very first attack.” Daiki’s stomach clenched as he realised what Wilhelm was thinking, as Leviathan looked helplessly at him, begging him for mercy. There would be none forthcoming. “But you don’t deserve such kindness. Head number nine...” Slowly the last head opened its jaws. A small ball of electrical energy began to form, and Daiki could have sworn, just for a moment, that Leviathan had closed her eyes. “EVOLUTION RESULT BURST!!”

There was a long horrible noise of explosions, followed by deathly silence. The swamp slowly faded away, leaving Daiki and Wilhelm back in the outer borders of the Tomb of the Dead Emperor, and Leviathan was gone.

“You... you... just...”

“Why are you so miserable?” Wilhelm asked, turning to face the stunned looking man as his D-Disk disarmed, as if nothing at all had happened. “That drone was not going to hesitate to destroy you, and would have put you into a long coma like the others all over Japan. Why do you have these feelings for her?”

“She was only doing what you made her. What did you do to those people?”

The rush of anger dragged Daiki out of the slowing pull of the venom. He wanted to punch this cruel and sadistic man in the face; regardless of how pointless it would have been in this environment, and what Wilhelm might do in response. He was just sat there, with his twisted smirk as he laboured under his heavy breathing. Their respective conditions was probably all that stopped Daiki, for he had never seen anyone like this in the VDS. Even in victory, Wilhelm seemed exhausted.

“I did that... because actually she was doing something she was programmed not to do. The drones were supposed... to specifically leave you alone if they came across you, even if... they could see you had Numbers or you challenged them. That was there number one principle... that overrode all their other functions. Course if you jumped in the way of... its D-Anchor at the last second then it couldn’t be helped, since they don’t break... but that’s really not my problem...”

“Oh yeah. Well you just made a huge mistake, because I’m going to make it your problem...” Wilhelm just shrugged in reply, making Daiki’s blood boil. “What’s so special about me anyway?”

Wilhelm shrugged again, carelessly admiring his nails as if the matter was nothing significant at all. “Now settle down... it’s not my place to tell you that. Only my sister should do that... after all she ordered me to come in here and help you out. My sister Clarissa is the leader of our group by the way... and the one whose cause this is... and she would prefer you alive, for now at least...”

“Well then why doesn’t she come and speak to me right now then?”

“Heh, I don’t think so. If you want some answers, you have to come to us. I’m sure you know where the RDL Building is. Well the time is now almost half past four. At exactly seven, no earlier or later, be at the building and we’ll let you in. My sister is looking forward to meeting you... but as you can appreciate she is quite busy right now, and it’s going to take you a while to get across the city from where you might be.”

“Humph! It’s not going to take me that long. And how am I supposed to even log out of this system?”

“Are you always this dense?” Wilhelm asked smugly. “We’re in full control of the VDS, and we designed the lock in program. Of course we put procedures in place so we can log out anyone we choose should a need like this arise. You think I would have come in here otherwise? We’ll pull you out now... all you need to worry about is getting to the RDL building in time. Trust me... it will take longer than you think. Well... bye for now.”

The wheelchair turned and began to roll away across the desert. Daiki was speechless, and his body just didn’t seem to respond as Wilhelm looked ready to leave. However just before he did, something caught his eye. Floating through the air from his left, from where Leviathan had once stood, was a small glowing object. Wilhelm noticed it too, as the card floated in front of him. It was hidden from Daiki at this point, but he guessed it had settled in the man’s lap.

To Daiki’s surprise, Wilhelm turned and rolled back towards him, the still glowing card was in his hand. Once he reached him, he held out the card. “You already know we are collecting Numbers, but I think you should have this for now. It might help... in case you get yourself into any more scraps and what not. It wouldn’t do for you to die yet, my sister would be most displeased.” Daiki didn’t make any move to accept it, but Wilhelm was persistent and forced it into his hand as he stood locked in place, too mentally drained to move. Its identity remained hidden. “It will only reveal itself when the time is right. Each Number is different... and may respond differently to each duelists it passes through. Call it a hunch... but I think it more likely it will respond to you than me.”

As Wilhelm backed away, Daiki felt a pulling sensation overcome him. As if he was being dragged out of a deep pool of water by someone above him. The surrounding desert was starting to fade away, as was Wilhelm. Knowing this was his last chance to say something, Daiki called out. “And if I don’t come?”

Wilhelm paused to consider.

“You’ll come. You won’t be able to help yourself. And besides, if you didn’t... it could deeply upset my sister...” The frail man’s voice sounded so distant and dreamlike now as Daiki felt the world pull away, but still the laugh he broke into chilled him. “And who knows what she might do then. So, I guess I’ll see you later...”[/spoiler]

[spoiler=I know...]
I know. I know. I know, I know, I know, I know, I know. Chimeratech can't attack directly having destroyed other monsters. Card change for character development, which Wilhelm more than explained himself.[/spoiler]

Chapter 16 later on this week, featuring a new duel involving, finally, two proper Xyz generation decks.

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1334065587' post='5908922']
My earlier suspicion on who Clarissa is is becoming more possible. Hm...
Great chapters.
[/quote]

Anything is possible right now.

Thanks dude.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1334095976' post='5909303']
Well that was certainly unexpected...I was totally ready for Daiki to draw Soul Release.

Another awesome chapter. And Daiki is now the official CHOSEN ONE of this story I guess...
[/quote]

Would you believe it, Soul Release actually does appear before the end of the arc. :lol:

All men are chosen... some are more chosen than others... and more will be chosen for different things... soon... (is enjoying being a cryptic git)

Good lord...I've been missing out on quite a lot since I last took a look at this thread. So much has happened and the real shiz is getting underway. God (and you) knows how much depth Clarissa put into her master plan. I kinda disliked Daiki getting bailed out like that, but he probably would've lost if not for Wilhelm. Looking forward to seeing why Clarissa favors him so much. Great job with this as usual. I'll see if I can get in the time for a full review in the next few days.

Once again, I've missed a whole lot of chapters.

Well I'll go by them as I read them.

[b]Chapter 1:2[/b]
So this actually be card games on motorcycles. xD
And so the numbers appear.

Overal a nice chapter.

[b]Chapter 2:1[/b]
So thier evil plan is revealed.
I only presume the 'shining cards' are the Numbers and that the cloacked people are [s]Rare[/s] Number Hunters.
So far I quite like this one, it really sucks you in.

[b]Chapter 2:2[/b]
So the 'Number Hunters' look like Mecha/Stone Angels? Creepy.
Also Sakura, being an first time duelist, still does better then Yuma (ZeXal) after many duels.

[b]Chapter 3:1[/b]
Why does a DM Champion directly thinks that when a monster can't be destroyed by battle, that it is indestructable? That seems like something Yuma would think, but not a champion.
Interesting, when Azreal said that they wheren't monsters, but they simply did what they where commanded to do. It seemed like he made an suggestion that thier mistress is the one who's a monster. Is this intentional, or am I just overthinking it?

[b]Chapter 3:2[/b]
Not that much I can say about, beside it having no duels ;p
Nah, good chapter.

As it's getting late, I'll save the rest for another day.

[quote name='Corona Ray' timestamp='1334118922' post='5909779']
Good lord...I've been missing out on quite a lot since I last took a look at this thread. So much has happened and the real shiz is getting underway. God (and you) knows how much depth Clarissa put into her master plan. I kinda disliked Daiki getting bailed out like that, but he probably would've lost if not for Wilhelm. Looking forward to seeing why Clarissa favors him so much. Great job with this as usual. I'll see if I can get in the time for a full review in the next few days.
[/quote]

*Looks at post and sees its changed between first read and replying*

Nice to see you post again.

[spoiler=Response is in spoiler due to above post]
Yeah, Clarissa has put a lot of meticulous work into it (well you would, wouldn't you?) More than I've been able to work out the full details off, not being a cyber criminal mastermind, but enough to keep everyone in the loop and give you the gist of the major shiz going on.

Yeah, you're not the first to not be overawed with it. Tbh, this was all pencilled in VERY early, and Venom were selected mostly for their boss and to give Wilhelm another pop by being a sick and twisted git. That and I don't want the lead characters to bulldoze the drones, they are supposed to be as tough a fights as possible from the work go.

You will see soon.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Lexadin' timestamp='1334167978' post='5910342']
Once again, I've missed a whole lot of chapters.

Well I'll go by them as I read them.

[b]Chapter 1:2[/b]
So this actually be card games on motorcycles. xD
And so the numbers appear.

Overal a nice chapter.

[b]Chapter 2:1[/b]
So thier evil plan is revealed.
I only presume the 'shining cards' are the Numbers and that the cloacked people are [s]Rare[/s] Number Hunters.
So far I quite like this one, it really sucks you in.

[b]Chapter 2:2[/b]
So the 'Number Hunters' look like Mecha/Stone Angels? Creepy.
Also Sakura, being an first time duelist, still does better then Yuma (ZeXal) after many duels.

[b]Chapter 3:1[/b]
Why does a DM Champion directly thinks that when a monster can't be destroyed by battle, that it is indestructable? That seems like something Yuma would think, but not a champion.
Interesting, when Azreal said that they wheren't monsters, but they simply did what they where commanded to do. It seemed like he made an suggestion that thier mistress is the one who's a monster. Is this intentional, or am I just overthinking it?

[b]Chapter 3:2[/b]
Not that much I can say about, beside it having no duels ;p
Nah, good chapter.

As it's getting late, I'll save the rest for another day.
[/quote]

Lex is back. How are you man? Hope your exams went well.

Responding to a few points, I love the extra tactical edge and the whole nature of turbo duels, however the situation hasn't really risen to put them in as often as I thought in this, especially trying to share them out and stop making some characters do turbo duels too often compared to others.

Yes, Numbers do that until the time/situation is right for their identity to be revealed. It annoys me how Yuma switches from brilliant to awful seemingly in adjustment to his opponents relative level, but hope Sakura came across as a convincing "knows what to do having watched Yudai but doesn't know what to do having not played" if you know what I mean. With Yudai's remark, think that more just despairing realisation than anything.

[spoiler=Don't blink...][center][img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpg1hnlJey1qkwtnl.jpg[/img][/center][/spoiler]

There's not that many chapters that are duelless. Especially in arc two (for those who are ahead, Ch 7:1 is the only duel-less chapter of the arc, and[i] possibly[/i] the last of the entire story.)

Lex... Chapter 5:2... all I'm saying...

Thanks for commenting. :)

Ugh, struggling to finish the arc. Still writing, its just been very slow the last few days.

Need some motivation. *hint, hint*

Latest chapter is up, including the long anticipated debut of...

[spoiler=Chapter 8:2]
With a sensation similar to being pulled out of deep water by the scruff of the neck, Daiki lurched upright in his seat, taking deep intakes of breath and blinking furiously as his eyes readjusted to the surroundings of his home. His mind was sluggish, and his body was shaking, which was unnerving.

[i]‘Ugh, that was painful’[/i] he thought as he stood, wobbling slightly and trying to shake his mind into fully clearing from the battering it had just taken. At least he managed to stand without holding onto anything. [i]‘I thought it was just those Numbers card that could dish it out, but seems now that Wilhelm and his goons have really messed the VDS up.’[/i]

Just thinking about the twisted cripple in the wheelchair angered him. Nothing he had said or done made that much sense to him right now, which made his invitation to meet his boss, this Clarissa, all the more tempting as he no doubt intended. Why on earth did he matter to them? That was the confusing thing. Infuriated, Daiki removed his extra deck and looked over his cards. All his regular monsters were still there, along with the mighty Number 39: Hope, and they had now been joined by the card Wilhelm had given to him, its identity hidden by the same shimmering veil Hope had been. So it appeared if you acquired a Number in one world, real or virtual, it would appear to you in the other as well. How that could be possible was not an issue worth thinking about right now; but it reinforced how unnatural those cards were, and what they might be used for by people like Clarissa and Wilhelm. If they were going to give him half a chance to stop them, it was his duty to try to do something. If he had a chance...

[i]‘I wonder if Garvan’s managed to find a way out yet.’[/i] A quick call on his D-Gazer met with nothing but static confirmed that he hadn’t. Daiki felt a pang of regret about this, despite there being nothing he could do to help him. [i]‘I hope he’s okay.’[/i] His thoughts turned next to Natsumi. He knew she would still be in the VDS somewhere, hopefully she was also well and not doing something that would get her into more trouble.

His D-Gazer indicated many unanswered calls from work, so he would have to call them first and get an update on things, as much as they needed to know what had happened to him. At first he got similar bouts of static, which was odd. Failing again, he tried the emergency line which he had access to call them, and moving through his home, he eventually got hold of Yuri.

[i]‘Masuro-san, it’s about time[/i]’ she snapped, although a sense of worry could not be hidden from her frosty exterior. ‘[i]What happened to you? We couldn’t get hold of you or Zielinski-san.’[/i]

“I went into the VDS as instructed and couldn’t get back out. Stop me if this is news to you, but I found out about the extremist group that’s seized Real Duel and holding all the people trapped inside, and its sending an army out and attacking them. Garvan is still in there. I just escaped a minute ago.”

[i]‘How?’[/i]

“That’s the thing. One of the top members in the group appeared and got me out, some guy called Wilhelm. Now he wants me to get to the Real Duel Building at exactly seven o’clock and appear before their leader.”

There was a flurry of whispers across the line, before Yuri said she was putting on the superintendant on loudspeaker. A grunting cough pre-empted the general’s speech. ‘[i]Masuro, run that past me again. The terrorists holding Real Duel want you to go to them, and they’ll let you in. What the bloody hell is going on?’[/i]

“I wish I knew sir, but that’s what happened. I don’t understand it either. Now I have to get there at exactly seven, no earlier or later, and this Wilhelm said it would take me longer to get to the building than I would think. Would there be any reason for that?”

[i]‘One moment Masuro-san’[/i] Yuri interrupted. [i]‘If you open the video feed on your D-Gazer using this line, I can transmit pictures that were recently taken to it.’[/i]

Passing through his front door and towards his bike, Daiki did as instructed. Through one eye he could see his suburban neighbourhood, but through the other he could see pictures taken from areas of the city that he recognised. The camera darted around unsteadily from ground level, first to pictures of car crashes in the streets, then to the shops by the side where a small group of teenagers where smashing the windows in. On the other side of the road, a cleaning robot that patrolled the streets was upturned and on fire.

“What the? What started that?!”

[i]‘An hour ago, the prime minister addressed the public to confirm a terrorist threat as part of Clarissa’s demands[/i]’ Yuri continued. ‘[i]She used it as a signal to activate all kinds of malicious attacks on control and operation programmes across the city, and cause a public panic using her insignia.’[/i] Right on cue, the camera turned up to face one of the big screens on the side of a tower that depicted a blood red symbol, before the camera fell sideways and was at ground level and a pair of trainers walked sideways into shot. Presumably the group had attacked the cameraman.

“I recognise that symbol” Daiki murmured. “Can’t think why though.”

[i]‘You do? Well maybe that has something to do with why they want you. Anyway, these scenes are springing up all across the city’ [/i]Shigeo continued.[i] ‘Some of the trouble makers are conspiracy theorists protesting against the government and thinks they’re trying to manipulate them, the others are just thugs trying to make use of the chaos and our stretched forces for personal gain. We’re trying to get things under control in the city, but most communication systems and broadcasting methods have gone down. A lot of the city is gridlocked, AI’s are going berserk, and its chaos all across Japan.’[/i]

“Clarissa’s group did all that from the Real Duel Building?” Daiki exclaimed as he disconnected the feed and mounted his bike, waving carelessly at the elderly couple next door. “Right, what about the city? How do you want me to help?”

[i]‘You can help by hightailing it over to the RDL building. The government has made it clear we’re not to move on them, as they don’t want to endanger the people trapped in the VDS. I don’t agree with it, but for now we have to play along and try to bring them down without them realising it. You however have now provided us with a lead in. Focus on that. If you’re so important, we can’t risk you elsewhere.’[/i]

“I’ve got two and a half hours to get over there sir. I want to help in the city; I couldn’t sit around in good conscious by doing nothing.”

[i]‘Damn it Masuro, you aren’t superhuman. Beniko and the other field agents will deal with riots. You go to the Real Duel building, work out a plan of attack that could help us, and wait for further instructions. I also want you to give a visual profile of this Wilhelm to Ono-san. That’s an order!’[/i]

“Yes sir” Daiki grumbled as his bike revved into life; setting off in the north, the direction of the city, and the RDL Building beyond.

...16:32:25...

Sighing deeply, Wilhelm opened his eyes and stretched as he returned to his surroundings. He had used a separate room from the others for his excursions in the VDS, with only the company of Clarissa and one of the technicians called Dawson to aid him working the computer with which he had entered and now left the VDS by with him. Dawson was the oldest and most experienced of the group in Clarissa’s employ and one of the world’s most wanted hackers and cyber criminals, like the others who had all been employed by Clarissa for that reason. Rolling his neck slightly, Wilhelm turned to face her, sat beside him with a concerned look.

“He is out safely. Happy now?”

Clarissa’s expression did not change, but from the subtle way her shoulders dropped, Wilhelm could tell the news relieved her of a lot of tension. He knew his sister tried to mask her feelings from him, but he knew her too well.

“I am. Thank you Wilhelm.” Clarissa embraced her little brother first, before thanking and dismissing Dawson. He had managed his task well, and would be rewarded as such. Once and only once he was out of the room did Clarissa continue. “What happened? What did you tell him?”

“The reason the duel drone attacked him was his own doing... he jumped in the way of its anchor to save his friend. Nothing we could stop on our part” he shrugged. “He’s on his way here now... I’ve given him specific instructions not to come here until seven. That should keep him out of trouble... and give us plenty of time to carry on with what we need to. This pleases you?”

“Yes. I want to see him before any further decision. He has to be given the chance.”

“If that is the way you feel” Wilhelm muttered, before wheeling himself towards the door. “Evos has handled everything while I was busy?”

“Of course. We’ve been moving as planned and stopping any attempts at Japanese forces rebooting their systems. That should keep them busy while we work.”

“And the progress made in our work?”

“Satisfactory. Did you obtain a Number from that duel drone? Did he have any Numbers?”

Wilhelm paused at the question, debating his answer. “Yes, but I gave it to him. He now has... two, as far as I can tell. I figured it would stop him getting into anymore scraps until he gets here and returns them to us.”

He expected Clarissa to be angry, and she would possibly be justified to do so. However she seemed to accept his reasoning as she followed him out. “You are very sure he will come?”

“He will be here. You think you would be able to live not knowing what if? Not knowing why?”

“No, I guess not” she replied. “Pass on his profile information and photo to Gadsby, and tell him what to expect from him. After that I have a few more jobs for you to do.”

“Yes sister.”

As Clarissa walked off and back into their main office, Wilhelm stopped and looked across the operation centre for Gadsby. To his left, he could see two soldiers removing a young woman from her seat and carrying her stiffened form away. A lopsided smirk returned to his gaunt face, before he rolled off.

...16:35:46...

Back inside the VDS, and school boy Jaku Shibo was sitting on a large rock in the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Necrovalley"]Necrovalley[/url] area, waiting for his opponent. The bloody sun was beginning to set over the horizon, it always hung low in the sky out here, and threw great shadows over the dusty plains and darkened the canyon passes. Shibo had selected a meeting place that could be located relatively simply, a large rock at the entrance of one of these passes that lead to a royal tomb in the mountains, and had been waiting here for a little while.

[i]‘Jin should have finished work and got to the nearest arcade by now. If that runt was going to show, he would have done so by now.’[/i]

Waiting was getting very boring. Despite his considerable size Shibo was very competitive, playing baseball and rugby as well as duelling, and needed to be doing something to retain interest. Deciding that Jin wasn’t going to show up and making a mental note to make his cowardice public the first chance he got on their return to school, Shibo dropped from his perch and wandered off to find something else to do. It wasn’t as if there wasn’t anything to do in here, with this special challenge that he had seen the others fail in.

He didn’t have to wait very long to test himself. He had only taken a few steps towards the canyon pass and the temple beyond, when ‘the challenge’ flew out to meet him on long black wings. The dark angel creature that swooped down in front of him wielding a D-Disk was tall and menacing looking, but Shibo wasn’t worried. Usually the scarier someone’s custom avatar was, the weaker they were as a duelist and they had tried to make up for their inadequacies in their appearance. This must be it.

“So. You’re what all the big fuss is about?” he sneered as the dark angel landed, and mutely pointed towards him. “What do I win when I beat you?”

“You think this is a game child?” The angel’s intelligent response surprised Shibo; he had expected limited responses of threats and reading card effects from a mass production program. “I’ll tell you what you win. You get to walk free with your heart and mind still intact!”

“Impressive” Shibo replied, arming his own D-Disk. The winged duelist matched his actions, but then with one swing launched some sort of lasso at him which latched to his device. Again he was put off by the action for a moment, but still it was all part of the event. It didn’t mean much. “Well then, I guess I’ll find out more about this thing when I crush you.”

[i]‘ARV Link established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

...16:38:44...

“Please, I must get to Japan immediately. Is there nothing available?”

The old man had reached Krakow-Balice International airport, only to have his fears confirmed by the young, plastic looking, air headed woman attending to him. Every passing second made him more agitated, much to the poor girl’s distress.

“I’m sorry, but we have grounded all planes set for Japan for the time being due to an international protocol. There’s nothing I can do.

“Gotten Himmel!” The curse was German, but one of the old man’s many quirks was to swear in languages other than his natural Polish, this being one of his preferences. Still, he couldn’t afford to waste any more time here. Storming out of the airport and back to the taxi’s waiting outside, he flagged one down and jumped inside.

“To the Japanese embassy. Urgently man!”

Hideo followed his assistant Izura through the corridors of Toshima Halls to one of the meeting rooms for this defence meeting. Rokuro was already there and waiting, along with the other man who wanted to discuss their options against the terrorist threat. The prime minister couldn’t stop rolling his neck and wringing his wrists as they moved on to their meeting place. Their systems were still down and communication was still near impossible, as he tried desperately to get out a plea for calm out to the masses that they had realised were causing mayhem across the city. Hopefully Rokuro and his guest would have some solutions.

As the pair entered the room, they were greeted by an elderly man in an old fashioned army uniform adorned with medals. The defence minister was in the far corner of the room, seemingly still trying to get through a signal or message on his old mobile phone in desperation. The minister ignored him for now as the old serviceman moved to bow before him, and Izura introduced him.

“Sir, this is the chief of the army, Kazuko Taro.”

“A pleasure to meet you Prime Minister” Taro’s voice was stern as if it was anything but, although that was probably because he wanted to get down to business.

“Likewise Kazuko-san. So, my aids tell me that you want to discuss various means to go forward with ending the terrorist threat.”

Taro bowed again. “Yes sir that is what I want to discuss. Er, if your defence minister would like to also pay attention to this.”

“Tanaka-san, if you would.” Rokuro blinked at the summons as if he was elsewhere, but pocketed the phone and joined the others. “What was that about?”

“Keeping up to date with our services and their actions in any way I can sir.”

“Anyway, what are your proposals Kazuko-san?”

“Well it’s very simple sir. We know the terrorists location, and that is held up in a tower north of the city, that is away from any populated area and exposed. That makes a covert assault difficult, especially as the reports from our sources indicate heavy ground artillery has been moved in to defend them, but what I’m suggesting has no need for cover. With your permission sir, we can organize and initiate an aerial attack on the RDL building within the next thirty minutes. We could take out the whole group...”

“No.”

The army chief was surprised to be interrupted so forcefully. Rokuro had looked most panicked by the suggestion, but Hideo, the speaker, was giving him a disgusted look. “No way. I am not going to willingly sacrifice all the innocent people at that building, and risk those in the VDS to which anything could happen. We can pull through this without resorting to such methods.”

“But sir, I know it will incur casualties to this country, but by allowing the threat to continue and allowing the people to create chaos in the city, more damage and more losses will be felt by the greater majority of the population.”

“The prime minister is right” Rokuro shakily chipped in. “We have a duty of care to all our citizens and must work to keep as many from danger as we can. Any attack of that nature on the RDL Building could end the lives of millions across this country and Asia depending on what they’ve done to the system, and if the extremist group hadn’t committed its entire force to the building, we could suffer severe repercussions for our actions.”

“An air strike on the RDL Building would be mass genocide, and my office will not permit that” Hideo continued. “Now get out my office.”

The army chief stooped and backtracked quickly away as Izura ushered him out of the room. Hideo was shocked by what he had put forward, and his own rebuke had also shocked him. Rokuro put a hand on his shoulder, he was shaking. “You did the right thing.”

“By who?”

“Sir, if I might interrupt” Izura returned to the pair. “I have a call on the emergency line from the metropolitan police concerning an update on their agent’s progress. We can take the call here.”

The three took the call from Yuri, who gave them an update on Daiki’s re-emergence from the VDS, what had happened to him and his colleague therein, and his orders to go into the RDL Building from a high ranking member of the extremist group. The discussion was brief and mostly one way, although the minister did ask questions that were mostly the same as she and Shigeo asked to Daiki himself.

“Well that is interesting. Thank you for keeping us informed. Do you think your agent has any chance, any at all, of nullifying the terrorist threat?”

‘It’s hard to say what they want him to do, but we shouldn’t put too much faith in Masuro being able to have any effect on them by himself under these circumstances. He seems to think they don’t want to hurt him, not at the moment, but anything he can achieve to hinder their progress should be seen as nothing more than an unexpected bonus.’

“I see. Well thank you. If you find out anything more, let us know.” The prime minister ended the call and looked at his two colleagues. “It looks like we’ve just received some justification in holding fire. Hopefully this Masuro can do something.”

...16:47:12...

Panting heavily, Shibo dropped to his hands and knees and struggled to keep himself upright (LP 800). The hit he had just taken, the last of many, had been unbelievably painful; like something had slashed deep through his stomach and ripped open all of the organs and blood vessels therein. Across the field from him the dark angel was on its feet, unmoved and unflustered, as its monster returned to him (LP 3200). That strange monster, ever since it had appeared on the field he had felt the increase in the power of attacks, especially from it. He had never seen anything like it, or the effect it had made on the dark creature wielding its might. He had guessed this challenge was a promo for this, a new type of card, and would be his prize if he won. But now he wasn’t so sure.

“I set one card face down, and end my turn” it declared.

“I... draw...” The shakiness of his own voice unnerved him; each word seemed to strain him to get out. He was down to his last few cards, this draw had to turn things in his favour, or he would certainly lose. Images of the other duelists he had seen on television flashed across his mind. [i]‘I am better than them. I can still win.’[/i] Looking at his drawn card, Shibo’s strength returned.

“I activate the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Haunted"]Cry of the Living Dead[/url]. This special summons one monster in my cemetery. I choose [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Excavation_Construction_Heavy_Machinery%3A_Strong_Shovel"]Excavation Heavy Machinery Strong Shovel[/url]." The ground in front of him exploded, as a large red digger that had been destroyed last turn returned. “Now when Strong Shovel is special summoned from the cemetery, its level increases by one (Lv4, ATK 1800). Then I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Drilling_Construction_Heavy_Machinery:_Drill_Jumbo"]Drilling Heavy Machinery Drill Jumbo[/url] to the field!”

This next piece of machinery was a hulking twin drilling machine on large tank tracks, its two drill arms made it look horrendously unbalanced (Lv4, ATK 1800). The machine hit the ground with a heavy thud, between the digger and a heavy steam roller machine that he also controlled (Lv4, DEF 2100). “When Drill Jumbo is normal summoned, it upgrades the levels of all machine type monsters I control by one. So I can use my now level five monsters to Xyz summon. I overlay level five [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Grading_Construction_Heavy_Machinery:_Road_Roller"]Road Roller[/url], Strong Shovel, and Drill Jumbo. Lay the ground flat and crush the enemy, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Machinery_King_Doboku_Zaku"]Heavy Machinery King Daboku Zaku[/url]!"

Once more the hard earth was torn apart by two giant flywheel blades that extended from the long arms of the machine, spinning away at enough speed to shred through anything that got in the way and level it, and comfortably stronger than what the opponent had (Rk5, ATK 3200). At least it was until Shibo looked across at the dark creature facing him, and saw him pull back his face down to reveal...

“Daboku Zaku!?” The trap took hold, and the flywheels slowed, the whole machine just seemed to stutter and fail (ATK 1600). “Bah, I can still win. I activate the effect of Daboku Zaku. By detaching an overlay unit, this sends the top three cards of your deck to the cemetery. Then for each monster sent to the cemetery by this effect, a card you control is destroyed.”

Across the field, the dark creature shouted something to its monster. Shibo watched in disbelief as one of its overlay units vanished, just before the shredding blades of his Machine King hit it. The blades did nothing. With the monster still standing, it was lost. Despite the shredding of the trap card, it was hopeless. His monster was outmatched, and he had nothing else left to play. The sinking feeling of despair, failure and the price he would pay for it, paralyzed Shibo as he kneeled hopelessly before the demon and its mysterious monster, watching it begins turn and heartlessly declare the finishing blow.

“Now my mighty Number, destroy Daboku Zaku and erase this pathetic child!”

The giant destruction machine crumbled and fell, and from the mangled metalwork the monster surged forth, blade pulled back and ready to strike. As the blade sank into his flesh it felt like his body had been sliced in half. Shibo flew backwards through the air, propelled by the force of the finishing strike as it launched him into the lump of rock he had originally sat upon. He hit the rock at force, before crumpling in a still heap (LP 0).

Wandering into an arcade only five minutes from work, Jin quickly found the Duel Terminals. He had been later leaving work than usual because he had wanted to make sure everything was okay after the power surge and help if help were needed. Besides, the idea of what he was about to do was far from appealing. He really wasn’t confident he could win, he hadn’t beaten Shibo or anyone else from school at several attempts, but then the idea of going back to school on Monday and being branded a coward was much worse. As he wandered between the machines, the arcade was strangely muted, and there seemed a real lack of customers today. Well, people did have things to do besides duelling he guessed.

In one of terminals, Shibo was sat and already in play. He looked oddly strained as he sat there, completely unmoved and eyes unseeing as he was immersed into the virtual world projected around him. Perhaps he was duelling someone else while waiting for him. Given his expression he was possibly losing, and badly. Maybe he could exploit this. If he battled Shibo while he was weak of the back of a loss, his chances of winning would be greater, and he would leave him alone out of embarrassment. Or maybe he would just end up receiving a backlash. Well, best get this over with. Jin placed the little change he had into the machine, bought up his ID and password used for public terminals for those who didn’t have personal D-Gazers, and went to his profile. A message was waiting for him from Shibo, detailing the exact location inside the vast world and a link to transport him there. Jin accepted the challenge, before sliding the D-Gazer over his head and sinking into the virtual world around him.

Suddenly he was no longer in an arcade full of flashing lights and loud noises, but in the serene desert environment of the Necrovalley. Jin appeared as in did in real life in ‘reflective costume’ mode; he didn’t have points to spend on costumes. He was exactly where he was meant to be, beside a large rock in the shadow of the valley, but Shibo wasn’t there. This was also unusual, as even if he was duelling someone else while waiting, Shibo usually preferred to duel in public mode. He certainly did when humiliating him. Looking around, Jin also noticed how empty the VDS was. For a holiday week, even an empty space like this should have more people milling around.

Well, he guessed he would have to wait. Jin plucked out a few of his cards and gave the random handful a glance over, trying to think of a way to defeat Shibo and his Heavy Machinery cards with them. He had now long overcome his original fears about duelling that Shibo once inspired; despite every defeat his enthusiasm always returned in the end, and many damage shocks had made him used to it. He had also eventually managed to use the points attained by his occasional wins to buy one of the other basic starter decks offered by the game, plus a few singles he thought looked good. But it lacked the most powerful staple cards and when it came to the actual duel, they just seemed to fail on him.

[i]‘I like using you guys. You’re strong, I know it. I just wish I could use you better.’[/i]

A minute of shuffling later, and the air to his right started to ripple as the wall of the ARV of private duel mode began to dissipate. Wandering around the rock, Jin expected to see Shibo standing victorious over some other duelist. What he actually saw chilled him.

“Shibo!”

Shibo was lying against the rock, bleeding and barely conscious. Jin had never seen anyone bleed in this space, but the red dribble from his mouth was clear, as were the heavy bruise marks of internal injuries. He didn’t understand; how was this possible for Shibo to be in this state? Looking across at his opponent for answers, Jin gulped as he saw the demon angel duelist, standing tall and victorious with a savage expression on its face, barely acknowledging what was before it. “What happened? What did you do to him?”

“It is simple little boy. We fought, and I defeated him” the creature heartlessly replied. “That is all there is too it. He acted tough, but he was never likely to have a Numbers...”

“What? How can you be so careless? Can’t you see what you’ve done to him? You’ve beat him half to death just for the sake of winning a duel, and you don’t care about it at all! What kind of monster are you to do that?”

“I do not care” the demonic creature replied, arming its D-Disk as it spoke. “My only function is to defeat those who may carry Numbers, and gather them for my mistress. As it is my duty now to fight you!” Before Jin could react a black lasso had shot from the demons D-Disk and wrapped around his own. Struggle as he might, it wouldn’t break. “I doubt an obnoxious little boy like you will have a strong Numbers, but I must be sure. Things are often found in unexpected places, and the mistress would not be pleased if I let you go.”

Swallowing as the severity of what was happening started to build, Jin caught one last glance of Shibo before he vanished behind the wall of the ARV. He disliked him intensely, but there was no way he could not feel sorry for someone in that state. A state that if he didn’t do something, as they both accepted their opening hands; he would soon be joining him in.

[i]‘ARV link established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

“I have the first move” declared the creature that according to its stats displayed on the wall behind it was called Kafziel. So luck was already against him from the off. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Air_Armor_Ninja"]Armoured Ninja Air[/url]!"

A ninja in green robes somersaulted through the air before its duelist, landed deftly in a ready pose (Lv4, ATK 1400). “Then I equip Ninja Air with the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fuhma_Shuriken"]Wind Demon Shuriken[/url] equip magic. This increases the attack of the ninja monster it is equipped to by seven hundred points.” A large four bladed weapon appeared on the arm of the ninja (ATK 2100). “With that I end my turn. Let’s see what you can do, little boy!”

“Alright, here I go. Draw!” Well at least the thing hadn’t set any traps at all. Jin studied his hand to see a good balance of monsters and other cards. Ah, he had an immediate way of overcoming Ninja Air. His luck was in. Hopefully it would stay that way and he could get himself out of this mess. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Soldier"]Mainspring Soldier[/url]!"

From the portal that appeared before him sprung forth a small mechanical toy. Humanoid in shape, the soldier unfurled its body to reveal its exposed mechanics and gears, it arms ending in a pair of pincer weapons (Lv4, ATK 1800), and producing from its back and slowly turning in time with its movement was a large golden wind up key. These were Jin’s monsters, which despite all the teasing and bullying, he had stuck with since he was introduced to duel monsters at school, the box of toys called the Mainsprings.

“Next I activate the permanent magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Factory"]Mainspring Manufacture[/url]. Now once a turn, when the effect of a Mainspring is activated, I can add another one of my toys to my hand. Which I’ll be doing now by activating my Soldier’s effect. One time only, I can increase its level by one and its attack by four hundred, until the end of the turn. That puts it above your ninja!” The key in the toy spun faster, powering up the soldier (ATK 2200). “I use Mainspring Manufacture to add Mainspring Knight to my hand. Now Soldier, attack Armoured Ninja Air!”

In one super-powered punch, the small toy landed the first blow of the match, striking the much taller ninja through its guard and launching it. The success excited Jin, but his snarling opponent cut him off before he could enjoy it (LP 3900).

“You foolish boy, you played right into my trap!” Jin gulped, what trap? “Ninja’s are cautious and evasive, and don’t leap into battle carelessly like you just did. Now when Wind Demon Shuriken is sent to the cemetery, you take seven hundred points of damage!”

“Wait, what!? AHHH!!!” From out of nowhere the four bladed weapon came spinning through the air and passed straight through Jin’s stomach, and it did not feel like an illusion. Each blade felt real, sinking into his flesh and piercing the unprotected organs in his lower body. Jin fell to his knees clutching his body and gasping for oxygen (LP 3300). He had never felt an effect do that much damage before.

[i]‘It’s okay. It felt real, but it wasn’t. It’s just a mind thing.’[/i] The thought of Shibo said otherwise. [i]‘Damn, what’s going on in here? Whatever it is, it’s well above my head. I just have to escape and get out.’[/i]

“You think you can escape now?” Kafziel appeared to have read his mind in his expression. “There is no escape; from this world or from this duel. The only way you’re leaving is for the realm of your sleeping nightmares! A little boy cannot hope to change this fate. All you can decide on is whether you give up now, or grow a spine and fight back until your inevitable demise.”

“... I place one card face down. Turn end.”

“Then it’s time for the real fun to begin” Kafziel cried maniacally, as the wind-up toys strength returned to normal. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Upstart_Golden_Ninja"]Gold Ninja[/url]!"

A comparatively portly ninja with gold gauntlets and headband appeared in acrobatic fashion despite its bulk (Lv4, ATK 500). “Then I activate the effect of Gold Ninja. By discarding one trap card, I can special summon another ninja from my deck in defence mode. Appear [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ninja_Grandmaster_Hanzo"]Master Ninja Hanzo[/url]." This ninja was taller and lither, garbed fully in black and carrying a long sword (Lv4, DEF 1500).

[i]‘Oh no, two monsters with matching levels. He’s going to Xyz Summon’[/i] Jin thought.

“When Hanzo is special summoned, I can add another ninja to my hand” Kafziel revealed a ninja in brown robes to his hand, before pointing high into the dusky sky. “Now I overlay level four Gold Ninja and Master Hanzo. Xyz Summon!” The two monsters somersaulted into the vortex, their bodies dissolving as they went. “The assassin of the night, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_Armor_Ninja"]Armoured Ninja Blade Heart[/url]!"

This ninja was covered in royal purple plate from head to toe, and carried two long, deadly murasame swords. Seeing the edge of the blades shine in the dusky sun, Jin knew this was going to hurt a lot. But all he had to do was survive, then maybe he could do something (Rk4, ATK 2200).

“I activate the effect of Blade Heart. By detaching an overlay unit, one ninja monster I control can attack twice this turn! Now go Blade Heart, destroy his pathetic children’s toy!” With one crushing downward slice, the mechanical toy was cleaved completely in half. Jin winced slightly, but it would only be the start, as Kafziel’s voice became more deranged (LP 2900). “Now Blade Heart uses its second attack to strike you down directly!”

His nerve failed. Jin turned and ran from the ninja as it turned towards him, completely forgetting about the D-Anchor until it snapped into action, pulling him back forcefully enough to fall on his back and end up facing the sky. His eyes widened as the armoured ninja appeared out of the sun, swords pointed down at him and accelerating towards him.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!”

Jin screamed as the two blades came down through either side of his ribs. The agony was terrible, as he thrashed around, pinned by the two swords until the warrior saw fit to remove them and let him up (LP 700). Still he couldn’t get up immediately. He didn’t dare to look down at what injuries he might have gained from the attack. All he could do was lie there and whimper.

“Stop crying and get up kid! You wanted to duel; you will suffer the consequences of it!”

Sniffing and wincing, Jin managed to stand up, although he was very shaky. “Why are you hurting people like this? How can you get pleasure out of hurting people?” Kafziel did not reply, nor did his expression change. As Jin staggered back to his position, he tried to think of a way out. There had to be a way out. Then he remembered, [i]‘oh yeah, my trap card.’[/i]

“I activate my trap, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Heartfelt_Appeal"]Regretful Complaint[/url] When I take damage from a direct attack, this card takes the monster with the highest defence you control, and switches it to my side of the field until the end of my turn. So say goodbye to your ninja and prepare for a taste of your own medicine.”

Jin hoped that as the armoured ninja appeared on his side of the field that the corrupted duelist might become afraid or surprised by this. However he was crushingly disappointed as it just made a derisory scoff. “You do know you can’t attack with or use the effect of a monster taken by Regretful Complaint right? You can’t even use Blade Heart for your own Xyz summon.” Jin gulped at his mistake. “Now, since you control monsters and I don’t, I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Earth_Armor_Ninja"]Armoured Ninja Earth[/url] to the field.”

The already revealed ninja in brown robes landed deftly crouched before Kafziel (Lv5, ATK 1600). “Then I place two cards face down and end my turn. Make your next hopeless move kid.”

[i]‘It’s not hopeless. I have to keep trying’[/i] Jin thought to himself as he closed his eyes and drew. The card was not great help. [i]‘Come on, please help me. I’m going to die if you don’t.’ [/i]Where that thought had suddenly come from he had no idea, but it scared him. Everything about this scared the hell out of him. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Knight"]Mainspring Knight[/url]." A noble looking swordsman with white armour and shield, similar stature to the previous soldier, appeared before Jin (Lv4, ATK 1800). “Now attack that ninja.”

“You never learn child” Kafziel snarled. “I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_Ninjitsu_Art_of_Freezing"]Armoured Ninja Art Freeze Lock[/url]. This negates your attack and ends the battle phase!” Jin’s heart sank as his knight was stopped by a gust of icy wind and forced back. “Also once activated, this trap continues to remain in play and prevents any of your monsters from changing their battle position. A massive disadvantage for your weak toys. Face it child, you’ve already lost, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.”

[i]‘He’s right. I don’t have a prayer of winning this. I’m going to end up like Shibo.’[/i] Jin sank to his hands and knees, and felt a tear splash against the back of his hand. “I... I give...”

Before he could complete the sentence he choked, as the air around him seemed to become warmer...

In the chief executives boardroom of the RDL Building; Clarissa, Wilhelm, Evos and the other technicians were staring open mouthed at the computers monitoring the VDS as they all simultaneously changed to show an overhead map of one spot, a part of the Necrovalley, detecting a sudden surge of energy as one flashing golden light, growing and growing, taking over every other part of existence.

Deep in the caves of the Dragon Ravine, Murtagh pricked his ears and looked up from the large machine he was typing a series of commands into. He could feel a change in the air, a pulse of energy and light that could only mean one thing, and his breath began to quicken and his eyes flashed with excitement.

Throughout the VDS, in every single area of the world, at exactly the same time, every single player either duelling or roaming or hiding felt a pulse across the air around them. Natsumi, Vladimir, and millions of others all felt a sudden rush in the atmosphere. Every duel drone fighting or in flight pricked their senses up to the change in the air that they had been programmed into sensing when it happened. Even Garvan in his isolated sub-space where he was editing his deck looked up in surprise, as if he felt something somewhere had changed.

Between Jin and the duel drone, a growing ball of blinding light, a huge sphere of energy that was building up between them. Jin was terrified, he had no idea about Kafziel; he could barely see the duelist obscured the sphere of light. The intensity of the glow forced him to half close and shield his eyes just in time, as the ball of light exploded, and send a shockwave rippling across the world.

When Jin and Kafziel finally recovered, they could see the source of what had happened standing between them. At the heart of where the energy sphere had been, surrounded by a rain of golden stars it had released, was a small girl in a white dress. Long golden hair fell halfway down her back, seemingly giving off its own light. As the stars fell as she opened her eyes, the shiniest blue eyes Jin had ever seen, and she smiled at him.

16:59:58... 16:59:59... 17:00:00... [/spoiler]

Oh goodie, 18 hours on from posting one of the most significant events to happen in the VDS so far in this story and one comment. Highly motivating. <_<

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1334352138' post='5912657']
Random girl to the rescue =o

Jin is awesome, and the chapter is too. He needs more theoretical screen time...

Also, if you stop writing this, I will tip out your small intestines and strangle you with them. Is that good motivation?
[/quote]

She's... really not that random.

Well, for most of the day he's just been doing his job in the local shop, just having an ordinary, mundane day in his poor and unhappy life as a nobody (which is a lot of the point of Jin).

Well, I finally finished writing Chapter 22 last night. Was hoping to start 23 today... but I overslept, and am going to play rugby. It's just difficult getting this end of arc stuff absolutely right.

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1334403641' post='5913257']
Oh goodie, 18 hours on from posting one of the most significant events to happen in the VDS so far in this story and one comment. Highly motivating. <_<

She's... really not that random.

Well, for most of the day he's just been doing his job in the local shop, just having an ordinary, mundane day in his poor and unhappy life as a nobody (which is a lot of the point of Jin).

Well, I finally finished writing Chapter 22 last night. Was hoping to start 23 today... but I overslept, and am going to play rugby. It's just difficult getting this end of arc stuff absolutely right.
[/quote]Jin's point is to be totally normal and depressed? Well, I suppose he'll play card games too, but still, he's awesome because he's so randomly normal.

And at the moment she SEEMS kinda random. She obviously isn't, but still.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1334411495' post='5913365']
Jin's point is to be totally normal and depressed? Well, I suppose he'll play card games too, but still, he's awesome because he's so randomly normal.

And at the moment she SEEMS kinda random. She obviously isn't, but still.
[/quote]

Jin is the average kid (okay less than average given his background) thrown into a fantasy situation. The nobody who becomes a somebody. That sort of role.

But you've seen the girl before. Twice!

[quote name='Dragon Sage Ω' timestamp='1334415395' post='5913430']
I hate the rep problem so much.
Plot thickens...
Liked the chapter.
[/quote]

Me too... I'm stuck on 197 until its fixed. <_< 197!!

It is thickening nicely for the next few chapters, but fear not it getting too confusing. Ambitions, fellowships and battlelines get clearer towards the end of the arc.

Sakura?

Remember that lull I was talking about earlier? Forget that, you're back in high gear now, ready to go. You've picked up the pace really well and got the story going again. Like Pacmanexus said, Jin certainly feels a little bland right now, but I'm sure that'll be amended in a future chapter. I noticed the foreshadowing there, well placed.

Overall, it's a good chapter, and another cog being turned in the wheel.

Thank you for the rep.

Right, the asute among you might have noticed that I am a day late with the update. Even more asute people might have noticed I haven't been online for three days. This is because my computer has gone wrong again and isn't connecting to the Internet <_< Not sure whether its a problem with the router, the computer, the wires connecting them, or the 2012 security update I was installing and switched my router off for at the time.

Hopefully this will be remedied soon, but in the meantime I'm only able to access the Internet at work (well, given how busy April and May are, not at work) or by using dad's Internet. Which I don't want to be doing too often. Will keep my hand in trying to update this twice a week still; its just not going to be clockwork Tues/Fri updates for the duration.

Anyway, the story enters its ninth hour with the appearance of the mysterious little girl (who for some reason people think is Sakura. She's still at Yudai's bedside and hasn't suddenly lost ten years, last time I checked). Anyway, need to change the opening credits for this chapter. Cue Masterpiece!

Oh, and three Numbers debut in this chapter

[spoiler=Chapter 9:1]
[b]The following takes place between 5PM and 6PM[/b]

Shielding himself along with two other men behind an overturned car, Beniko sheathed his taser weapon in exchange for his regular gun, and waited for a pause in the fire. In the heart of the city, things were gradually getting worse despite the force hitting the city in attempts to restore law and order. Some of the looters were easy enough to stop, fleeing as soon as the knowledge of the enforcements presence became known. However the foolish political protestors were troublesome as they persisted with their conspiracy theories, and more so were the hardened criminals crawling out of the woodwork, for whom this chaos was paradise. Right now just such a man had him and his two allies pinned down from where he was shooting, trying to escape from a jewellery store he’d exploiting the shutdown of the high end stores security systems.

“Your orders sir?” one of the men asked hopefully, as the laser rounds continued to thud into their fast diminishing shield. The powerful shots were gradually cutting through the metal, and the two men were desperately seeking guidance from the elevated captain. Beniko gulped.

“Hold. Just hold.” So the group held with bated breath. There was a pause in the heavy thudding followed by a string of curses, as the gunman’s laser rifle charge ran down.

“Now!”

The group spun from their hiding place and charged the jewellery shop. The gunman had no chance to defend himself as the three agents advanced upon him, but that didn’t stop him trying to snatch another gun from his waist. There was a short volley of shots, and the man fell to the ground.

“Threat down here” Beniko relayed into his field issue D-Gazer to the other forces. Thank god their own communication system was back up. As he did so his eyes trailed down the street to where a pair of small children, boy and girl, were looking at him with a horrified expression. As soon as he saw them they screamed and ran. [i]‘Oh man, this is carnage. We’re trying to get things under control but if people think we’re being heavy handed then it will make things worse.’[/i]

... 17:02:01...

Jin stared dumbly at the little girl that had appeared in the space between him and the duelist trying to destroy him as she surveyed the world around her with great interest. The dark creature Kafziel, which seemed incapable of changing its expression despite the rather spectacular entrance of this girl, currently had Armoured Ninja Earth and a few traps on its field along with almost all its life points (LP 3900). Whereas he was losing badly, with only a meagre total of life points left (LP 700), and with Mainspring Knight on his field accompanied by the Armoured Ninja Blade Heart that would return to Kafziel at the end of the turn. All in all it was pretty one-sided. Jin was battered physically and mentally, and the appearance of the little girl that was now skipping towards him seemingly without a care in the world was just too much to take in. Even as she stopped before him and looked him over with her childish smile, he just knelt there completely bewildered.

“Hello” the girl said.

“Er... hi” Jin replied dimly.

“You must be Jinrei, right?”

“Er... yeah, right... well Jin really. How did you know that, might I ask?”

The little girl’s face somehow lit up further. “Hi Jin. My name is Kaneko. Pleased to meet you.” To his astonishment the little girl grabbed his hand and yanked him upright with surprising strength, swinging around him in a circle in a child like manner and completely ignoring the probably bewildered dark angel and its ninjas a few metres away, laughing and chanting his name as she spun around. “Yay, you’re finally here Jin. Oh, you took soooooooo long getting here. I was expecting you way earlier.”

“Well, I had work you see, and... wait what do you mean expecting me?”

“Oh, you’re silly Jin. Of course I was expecting you. I’ve been expecting you for ages. You see, I’m looking for some friends to help me with something. You would like to be my friend right?”

The young girls exuberance and inquisitive nature was so infectious, it was hard for Jin not to share in her dreamy sense of happiness, although his tired and battered mind curbed his enthusiasm. Besides, somehow given her entrance and the aura surrounding her, Jin got the feeling saying no might be a bad idea. “Well... yeah I guess... but I don’t know how I can help you. You seem... special. I’m not.”

The girl span around on the spot, laughing and beaming at him. “Oh don’t be silly Jin. You can be special if you want to be; you just need some confidence in yourself to see the potential I see in you.” The girl’s praise was embarrassing, a feeling that made Jin ruffle his mane of hair and which further amused her.

“If I might interrupt?” The young pair jumped at the harsh rasping sound of Kafziel’s voice. The angel seemed furious to be ignored. “Child! You are the avatar we have been searching for! Once I defeat this insignificant boy, you will come with me to the mistress!”

As if she was only just aware that the hellish creature was there, Kaneko jumped slightly. “Yikes! He looks scarily serious!”

“Yeah, and he’s a fierce duelist too. And unless I beat him, I can’t break this rope it’s attached to my arm.” Jin tugged on the D-Anchor slightly so that it appeared for Kaneko to see. “You should probably go and find someone else who can help you. I can’t break this, and I can’t beat this guy. I’d like to help you, but I don’t see how.”

Kaneko didn’t seem to be listening. She was studying the monsters on the field with a curious expression. Then she jumped up beside Jin and grabbed his arm, so that she could look at the cards in his hand. “I see. Those are some cool cards you have. If you like, I can help you beat this one.”

“What do you know about duel monsters?”

Kaneko shot him a funny smile. “Oh silly Jin. Trust me; I know everything about duel monsters. Now let me show you. Set that card face down, it should get you through the next turn, okay.” Despite her furious pointing Jin didn’t move at first, but Kaneko kept nudging him. “Come on, you can do it. Let’s show this guy what you’ve got.”

Looking into her large blue eyes, Jin didn’t know what to think. Doubt was still nagging him, fear was still immense, but he was so hopelessly outmatched if he didn’t change something and accept her help, he would definitely lose. This girl had appeared before him with a reason in mind; it would be foolish to turn her down. He had to trust her; she was the only chance he had. “Alright Kaneko, I trust you.” The girl cheered, and together the pair faced the snarling Kafziel, as Jin placed his card and the armour plated ninja returned to the other side of the field. “We place one card face down. Turn end.”

Kafziel: LP 3900, Hand 1, Field of Armoured Ninjas Blade Heart and Earth, Freeze Lock and a face down
Jin: LP 700, Hand 3, Field of Mainspring Soldier and a face down

“It’s my turn, draw!” Kafziel declared forcefully. As it tipped the card sideways, the result seemed to please it. “You think you are going to protect her from me? Now I will make you learn true suffering for your interference. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Flame_Armor_Ninja"]Armoured Ninja Flame[/url] to the field.”

Predictably, a ninja in flame red robes appeared in athletic fashion, sword drawn and ready to battle. “When this ninja is summoned, I can increase the level of one ninja on the field. I target Flame itself, increasing its level to five!”

“Here it comes Jin, get ready” Kaneko said. Jin was surprised, her voice and expression had changed to a steely tone. But she was calm despite the demonic creatures outward burst of deranged anger, and prepared himself none the less as he realised what the effect meant (Lv5, ATK 1700).

“Now I overlay level five Armoured Ninjas Flame and Earth! Xyz Summon!” The two ninjas sank into the vortex, and from it rose not a monster, not at first, but a large red shuriken weapon. The blade was spinning like crazy, unfurling itself to reveal the warrior within. On the left side of Kafziel’s chest, the symbols of the number twelve appeared and shone brightly. “End this. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_12:_Armored_Ninja_-_Crimson_Shadow"]Number 12: Armoured Ninja Crimson Shadow[/url]!"

...17:07:23...

Under new orders, Beniko and several other units were moving in on Toshima Halls. The various conspiracy theorists, protest groups and general troublemakers and hooligans were getting organised and marching on the government, and the police were planning to intercept them by bike and to cut them off; and prevent any more violence and disruption for those actually trying to diffuse the crisis for those people. Winding through the blocked roads of abandoned cars and angry citizens was comparatively slow going, and seemed even longer for those riding together towards the marchers.

They ran into them sooner than they imagined as Yuri directed them from headquarters. A few blocks away from the government building the convoy turned into the main street and almost straight into a wall of marchers, mostly teenage students from what he could guess, coming towards them with hastily made banners and flags. As soon as they saw the police appear the crowd became frenzied, and a stream of various missiles came flying towards them and forced the group take cover under shields.

“Hold the line. Taser weapons at ready, but don’t shoot unless you have to!” Beniko roared over the crowd. The troops lined up and formed a wall at his command, shields raised and electrically charged weapons bared, but still the marchers advanced, heavily outnumbering the police forces. Somewhere in the mob there was a frenzied cry to charge, and the protesters attacked the wall.

A few of the police forces were taken aback by the audacious recklessness of the charge, others were overly willing to get stuck into combat. Thus the line was held disappointingly badly as the first wave hit it. Although a lot of the first wave went down under the effects of the shock charged batons and tasers, the second wave were quick to back them up before the forces could re-gather themselves from the first assault. The sheer force shunted the police line back towards their line of vehicles, making fighting cramped for them, and it was the only thing holding the line.

“Baka’s! Come on you useless lot! How the hell are we on the back foot?” Beniko shouted down the line as he shunted off one masked young man who had attempted to spray something in his face. “Smoke grenades! Give us some back up here!”

Before he could give further commands, there was a glinting flash in the corner of his vision. Pushing past the stunned boy was another masked hoodlum with a deranged anger in his eyes. In his hand a long knife glinted in the setting sun, pulled back and driving towards a gap he had left exposed, the blade passing through the air towards his neck in slow motion.

There was a soft ‘pew’, the masked man shook and eyes glazed over, before he collapsed on the spot.

Stunned, Beniko scrambled back from the line and over the car bonnet behind him. Waiting for him there was another officer sat on his bike, stun gun in hand and staring into the melee with a simmering revulsion, yet seemingly the calmest person around. Raising his shield to protect them both from the latest barrage of missiles, the young officer regrouped with his colleague whilst the others began firing smoke grenades to disperse the crowd. “Masuro!? Thanks for that. This riot is way more vicious than we imagined it would be and our forces are stretched all over the city. I don’t know what to do to stop this.”

Daiki didn’t seem to listen. As he looked past him and into the fighting mob, his expression was becoming more and more strained, as if he was suffering a headache. That’s certainly how Daiki felt as the now familiar force started to creep through his mind.

“I have an idea” he replied, arming the D-Disk attached to his bike. “It’s a bit of a punt, but trust me.” Beniko looked anything but trusting as Daiki took a card from his extra deck and placed it on the blade of the D-Disk. “Show those who revel in chaos the might of your order, Aspiring Emperor Hope!”

The police were wearing their forces D-Gazers to communicate, which did not having ARV functions. None of the rioters were wearing D-Gazers. So it made the sight of the gold and white swordsman appearing in the smoke above them sudden and terrifying. One of the flag bearers in the crowd swore, and threw a bottle at the swordsman. To everyone’s disbelief, instead of passing straight through a projected image, the monster folded a wing in front of it, and the glass shattered and fell to earth.

Instantly the crowd began to scatter in all directions. The police took a moment to react, before realising they had the advantage and began to tackle any of the lead troublemakers that they could. Whilst they were busy with the arrests, Beniko removed his D-Gazer, blinked at the monster he could still see, and turned to Daiki. “How the hell are you doing that?”

“He’s the one doing it, not me” he replied. “I don’t know how, I’m just having a really weird day. We all are. Let’s just clear this lot out and restore some order for now, and we’ll work out the how and why later.” His words may have sounded strong, but inside the same question was going round and around. As was the prospect that he might soon have some answers.

“Now I overlay level five, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Laval_Burner"]Laval Burner[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lavalval_Dragon"]Lavalval Dragon[/url] Xyz Summon the raging Numbers!”

Back in the barren and corrupted dead lands of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mystic_Plasma_Zone"]Dark Zone[/url], and a vicious duel was taking place. One of the duelists fighting was a young man in beach wear and whose eyes were hidden by a pair of sunglasses (LP 1000). This would be a ridiculous look to have in a place where the sun was forever blocked by dark thunderclouds, but right now it hid the half crazed, half terrified look in his eyes caused by the influence of the Number monster he controlled or was controlling him; the mark of the numbers one and zero glowing on his neck . Across the field from him was Natsumi, smirking victoriously as her numbers appeared on her, as the flaming behemoth [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_61%3A_Volcasaurus"]Number 61: Volcasaurus[/url] appeared from its sealed form (Rk5, ATK 2500).

“Now I activate the effect of Volcasaurus! By detaching an overlay unit, it will destroy one monster on the field. Then you take damage equal to that monsters attack points! My target is [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_10%3A_Illumiknight"]Number 10: White Knight Illuminator[/url]. Mag-Max!!”

In one fiery breath, the dinosaur obliterated its target of a skeletal knight in white armour riding a nightmarish steed, and the beach wear duelist disappeared under the torrent of lava for a moment. When he resurfaced he was laid flat on his back, groaning weakly and barely conscious (LP 0). In his defeat, the prize for the victor rose from his D-Disk and floated towards Natsumi. Snatching it from midair with little regard for it, and certainly with none for the vanquished duelist, she turned to mount her bike and set off again, in search of more Numbers carriers.

...17:07:49...

“Number? Kaneko, what is that monster?” Jin asked as the ninja fully revealed itself. A warrior in a half bionic suit of silver and crimson, with a wild orange mane of hair and pair of green eyes the only features of the man encased by the armour, the ninja drew its sword as it landed beside the shorter Blade Heart, pointing it at the pair. The number twelve appeared on its left chest plate (Rk5, ATK 2400). Looking at Kaneko, she seemed to lose her aura of joy for a moment at the appearance of this monster and stared at it in frightened wonder.

“Crimson... what have they done to you?” she breathed in reply, and nothing more.

“I activate Blade Heart’s effect” Kafziel continued. “By detaching his last overlay unit, I can make Crimson Shadow attack twice this turn. Now take down his knight!”

With Kaneko paralyzed by the sight of this Number, Jin was on his own for the moment. “I activate the effect of Mainspring Knight. Once when it is face up on the field, I can negate an attack.” The swordsman ducked beneath its shield just in time to block the attack from the larger ninja, though it knocked it back several metres. “Then I activate the effect of Mainspring Manufacture to add...”

“Jin, if you have it, add Mainspring Magician to your hand.”

“Huh?” Kaneko was back from her temporary trance, and was giving him that ‘trust me’ look again. Well, okay, that wasn’t what he was going to do but she seemed sure of it. He revealed the added card to Kafziel, who seemed less than interested.

“Irrelevant. You can’t block this second attack!” Jumping high into the air above the little swordsman, the ninja held its sword high. Jin braced himself for the impact.

“Trap activate; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Half_Unbreak"]Half Unbreak[/url]!" Kaneko declared and threw out her small hand. To Jin’s shock, the card opened at her command. “This targets one monster we control. Then for the rest of the turn, that monster can’t be destroyed by battle, and all damage it takes in battle is halved.”

Jin winced and took a step back as the ninja sword sank into the shield of the toy warrior, but it held firm. He felt a stabbing sensation on his mind; even for such a minor blow it felt incredible. As if that Number monster was more powerful than normal (LP 400). Kafziel wasn’t done. “Now Blade Heart, follow it up with another attack.”

This time Jin was ready. “Half Unbreak is still in effect, and reduces the damage again.” Mercifully, this blow hurt a lot less (LP 200). Jin swayed, but remained standing. Kafziel ended his turn without further comment beyond a frustrated grumble, allowing Kaneko to rush up and support him.

“You still with me?”

“Just about. I’m sorry, I just froze there. What now?”

Kaneko’s expression was more serious now. The childishness of her nature had vanished for a moment, taking a back seat for now for a focused and powerful force. “Now we win. Don’t worry about it, its fine that you are scared. You have seen what the Numbers under the control of these duelists are capable of; it is natural to be scared. But you’re still fighting. Now draw your card and let’s see what we can do.”

“Alright, draw.” Jin glanced at the drawn card, and his heart skipped several beats. [i]‘Minimum Guts? Awesome! If I summon Magician, I can use this card to release it, and that will reduce the attack of one of his ninjas to zero. Then I can attack it with my knight for huge damage. Also, when that monster is destroyed, he’ll take damage to the original attack of that monster. So let’s see. Eighteen hundred points of battle damage plus over two thousand effect damage. Yes, we’re going to win.’ [/i]Jin glanced at Kaneko for confirmation, but she hadn’t seemed as excited as him. She was instead looking at the opponents cards with a curious expression. “Right, I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Magician"]Mainspring Magician[/url]."

A toy sorcerer clutching a stave between its pincers rose beside the battered knight (Lv4, ATK 600). “Now to win this.”

“Sorry to bring down your happy mood, but I’m afraid we can’t win this turn.” Jin almost collapsed at the bluntness of Kaneko’s statement. She giggled at him, before proceeding to explain in her extraordinary cheerfulness. “You see, Numbers monsters have a special power, and cannot be destroyed in battle with regular monsters.” Jin’s heart sank in disbelief at this hammer blow. But still, there was the other ninja to attack. “Furthermore, Crimson Shadow has an effect that, by detaching its overlay unit, prevents all ninja monsters from being destroyed that turn, by battle or effect. With that effect, we cannot win so easily.”

“You’re kidding me? But this was our best chance. Now what do we do?”

“Hmm...” Kaneko paused for a moment, thinking deeply as she studied the field again. “I want to try something. You have the Mainspring Xyz monsters right?” Jin nodded to confirm he had. “Excellent, then you should summon one right now.”

“Alright, I hope you know what you’re doing” Jin stuttered as he drew into his extra deck. “We overlay level four. Mainspring Knight and Magician. Xyz Summon!” The two monsters disappeared to be replaced by a much larger contraption, a large rocket propelled hovercraft like machine with a human based upper body. “Come on, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Zenmaister"]Mainspring Zenmaister[/url]!"

Kafziel countered immediately once again. “I activate the permanent trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_Ninjitsu_Art_of_Rust_Mist"]Armoured Ninja Art Rust Mist[/url] When I have a ninja on the field, the attack of all monsters you special summon is permanently halved. Your move was foolish boy. Don’t you get that I’m one step ahead of you and your puny toys every time?”

The Mainsprings body immediately began to rust and lose power, half sinking from its levitating position (Rk4, ATK 1650). Jin was about to shout something, but Kaneko interrupted him. “Don’t worry, its okay.” A curious smile overcame her. “This was just what I expected. Thanks to Rust Mist, the original attack stat of Zenmaister is cut, but it still gains a power boost for each of its overlay units after that. Place those two cards face down and end your turn.”

“You intend...? Well okay. Two face downs and turn end.”[i] ‘I hope Kaneko knows what she’s doing.’[/i]

“Time to finish this charade” Kafziel drew with confidence. “Do you really expect me to charge straight into two face down like some blind bull? I won’t fall for this trick. I activate the effect of Number 12. For the rest of the turn, all of my ninjas are safe from destruction by battle or card effects. Now my mighty Number, attack his Zenmaister!”

“Jin...”

“I’m on it” Jin replied as the ninja leapt above them. “I activate the set instant magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Limiter_Removal"]Limiter Release[/url]! This doubles the attack points of all machines I control until the end phase.”

Clanking and whirring back into life (ATK 3300), the recharged Zenmaister swatted the ninja away with blinding speed, throwing it back towards Kafziel. The ninja was unharmed, its duelist less so (LP 3000).

“Bah, I end my battle phase, and activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Foolish_Burial"]Foolish Burial[/url]. This sends a monster from my deck directly to the cemetery. I choose [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_Ninja_Aqua"]Armoured Ninja Aqua[/url] With that I end my turn, at which time all monsters affected by Limiter Release are destroyed.”

Jin collapsed as Zenmaister overloaded and fell apart, the machine facing him briefly before it sank into the earth. Jin couldn’t help but feel he had failed his best monster, after it heroically defended him from Kafziel. Nothing he was doing was having any effect, something the demon was quick to point out. “Useless, just like the others. Enjoy your last turn while it lasts little boy.”

“C’mon Jin, focus.” Kaneko was standing beside him, looking down at his beaten and miserable form with a little pity. “Don’t give up. We’ve come this far, we can see it all the way. Now stand up.”

“I can’t. It’s hopeless...”

“It’s your turn isn’t it?” Jin blinked as she smiled at him again. Did she not understand it was over? “Come on, we can win this. We have most of what we need. All we need is one more card on this draw and this whole duel changes. You’re my friend, I have faith in you. Just have faith in yourself and stand up.”

“Oh alright fine” Jin moaned, pulling himself upright. There was no dramatic pause or moment of harmony as he placed his hand to his deck; he already knew nothing he had was going to change this. He wanted it to be different, of course he did, but the writing was on the wall for everyone except this little girl. “Even if it only proves how much of a loser I am at this game then I’ll do it. I draw.”

Jin pulled at the card sharply and revealed it to her. “There. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Zenmailfunction"]Overwound Spring[/url]. You happy?”

Kaneko’s face lit up. “I am very happy. Use that card to revive Mainspring Magician, and then use your face down card in order to get around the downside to doing so.” Jin looked at her in bewilderment, but she did not elaborate on her plan. “Come on Jin, I will help you but it would be wrong of me to do everything for you. You can do it; you can unlock your own power, just be calm and prove it’s inside you. Not so much to me, but to yourself.”

There was a long silent stare between the two. The feelings in their eyes were total contrast; Jin’s dead and hopeless against Kaneko’s shining belief. It was if they were locked in some kind of mental combat by this staredown, each trying to submit the other to their will. Eventually, it was Jin who caved. “Alright, I’ll try. I activate the magic card Overwound Spring. This special summons the Mainspring Magician from my cemetery to the field, but its effects are negated. Then I activate my face down [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Zenmairch"]Spring Rewinding[/url] to return Magician to my hand, and special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Warrior"]Mainspring Warrior[/url] in its place.”

Where the magician once had been now appeared an amber plated figure similar to the earlier soldier, although this time stouter and tougher in defence, even before the crippling effect of Rust Mist took hold (Lv4, ATK 600). The spell casting figurine was not gone for long, as Jin normal summoned it straight back to the field. Kaneko remained pokerfaced, letting Jin blindly continue alone. “Next I activate the effect of Warrior. Once when it’s on the field, it can increase the level of any Mainspring by one until the turns end. I target itself (Lv5). This then triggers the effect of Mainspring Magician, special summoning another Mainspring from my deck. I choose...”

Jin slowly rifled through his deck. This was the test, choosing the right monster. He still didn’t know the plan, yet Kaneko was giving him no help, not until he proved himself. Only if he chose exactly the right card would he be safe. Sweat was rolling into his eyes as he continued through his deck, until the last card struck him. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Dog"]Mainspring Dog[/url]."

A mechanical pooch with metal jaws that opened and tail that wagged all in time with its legs and the turn of its key leapt onto the field from above Jin’s head, running around like an excited puppy before the three little toys stood together (Lv3, ATK 600). Kafziel remained quiet, watching suspiciously for any threat that might emerge. “I activate the effect of my dog, increasing its level by two until the end phase (Lv5).”

Well, that was all he had left to play. It was up to the little golden girl if he’d done enough. “Did... I do okay... Do I need to do anything else?”

Kaneko smiled and shook her head. “No, you did everything perfectly. There were multiple ways, but you arrived at the right place. Now take this.” With that she reached into one of the sleeves of her dress, and presented the boy with a card. The image was obscured by a faint aura of light similar to what Kaneko emitted. Jin could feel his breathing quicken at the very sight, at the very presence of this card. Across the field, Kafziel did not look different, but it seemed unsettled.

“Is this... a Number...?” Jin croaked. Kaneko silently nodded and pushed it towards him. As he reached out and wrapped his fingers around hers and the glowing object; he felt a pulse from the card shake his entire being; a ripple of mystery and a sense of deep, ancient power, calling to him from far beyond, and the glow faded away. “Wow... with this I can... we can win?” Kaneko nodded again and turned to face the frozen Kafziel, and the renewed teenage boy; the poor, scrawny, unpopular nobody did too.

“Kafziel! You wanted Numbers? You attacked ordinary people for them? Well let’s see how you deal with their might now. Overlay level five; Mainspring Warrior and Dog. Xyz Summon!” Jin’s entire body shook as the Number descended from the gigantic portal overhead, and the mystic runes appeared on his shoulder. The Number was enormous; an actual floating city, impossible but hanging high in the air above him, and had it not been for the ARV it would have been seen and admired and feared for miles around. “Behold the greatest weapon of the ancients! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_33:_OOPArts_Super_Weapon_-_Machu_Mach"]Number 33: OOPArts Super Weapon Machu Mach[/url]!" (Rk5, ATK 2400)

“You! You... Rust Mist is still active” Kafziel managed to splutter. “When you special summon a monster while I have a ninja out, its attack is halved (ATK 1200). I will obtain Numbers for the mistress... I will eliminate all in her way... I will find and capture the...”

“Magic activate; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Minimum_Guts"]Minimum Guts[/url]" Jin continued. “By releasing Mainspring Magician, the attack of Armoured Ninja Crimson Shadow is reduced to zero.” The flame haired ninja bowed and sank to one knee as the spell took hold (ATK 0). As it did, Jin felt a rush of power flow up through him.

“The effect of Machu Mach activates” Kaneko took over, pointing to the floating city that was whirring and aiming several cannons at the stunned demon duelist. “Once per turn, by detaching an overlay unit, you take damage equal to the difference in one monster’s original and current attack points. Infinity Cannon!”

Several cannons high above rained down on the helpless angel, throwing it a huge distance and forcing it to land heavily. It returned to its feet, wings broken, mask cracked and gibbering slightly, refusing to give up (LP 800). The infection wouldn’t let it go even now, but soon the children would free it.

“Then, Machu Maq gains attack equal to the damage dealt in this way.” Jin let words flow through him, saying things which he couldn’t know but through the Number did. Both children’s voices joined as one as they reached out in victory up to the fully charged citadel looming overhead and preparing its second cannon (ATK 3600). “Finish this! Attack Crimson Shadow! Flame of Brill!”

There was a second blast and both the ninja Number and its dark duelist flew through the air. Both disappeared before they hit the ground.

The two children’s reactions to victory were polar opposites. As the strengthening influence of the Number faded away back into its seal, Jin flopped down in exhaustion. Kaneko whereas jumped and spun around in victory. “Yeah, we beat him. I knew we could.”

“Yeah... yeah we did...” Jin breathed. Kaneko picked him up and spun him around again, this time it was a lot easier to join in with her celebrations despite his exhaustion. “Thanks for helping me. But you said I needed to unlock my own power...?”

Kaneko shrugged mischievously. “Well, you kinda did really, if you think about it. I just gave you what you needed; a Number and some confidence, you’re the one who put it into use. You need to be cheer up. Here, now watch what happens now.” Following the girls arm to where she was pointing, Jin watched as from where Kafziel had been, a glowing card was all that remained. By its own power the card rose up and floated towards him, into his automatically outstretched hand. The ninja Number 12: Crimson Shadow.

“How are you feeling now?”

“Relieved... Overawed... Bit sick.” Kaneko smiled as Jin listed off his battered emotions. He felt broken, and battered close to the surface, but looking deeper, he felt something much stronger. “But still, I know what I want to do. I can’t run away, not after you’ve saved me. I want to help you.”

Jin was almost tackled to the floor by the flying hug Kaneko embraced him in. For someone so little she packed a hell of a lot of strength. “So, what do you need me to do?”

“I’m going to be honest Jin. This world I live in, and the real world you are from, are both in danger. Many bad people are trying to gather Numbers for their plans, and we can’t let that happen. Me and my sensei are trying to stop them, but we need help. It will be hard, but if we’re united we can win. What I want you to do is keep travelling the VDS, and find others who carry Numbers. Others who can help us in our fight for this world and the safety of the people here. You will see them, what I need you to do is bring them together and unite them. The bad people will come after these people and pick them off if they become too dangerous and are unprepared. We have to join together under a banner of hope and freedom. You will have to fight more of those drones; they will be on your scent now you carry Crimson and Machu, but they will protect you.”

Jin swallowed. The task sounded enormous, and he had no idea how he would find and identify these people. But still, this girl was terrified of what was threatening them and desperate, and was putting her trust in him. But by taking her hands in his, he felt stronger. “...I understand. I will try.”

“Thank you. Now first things first, we need to get out of here. You might have noticed I’ve kept the ARV up for a long while after battle. That’s because there are some one hundred and thirty four duel drones waiting outside to pounce...” Jin almost broke away as he looked around wildly for their invisible enemies. Kaneko seemed perfectly calm and had to get him back to being so. “Don’t worry, they can’t get us, they’re not what worries me... Anyway warping is, for most people, disabled while still in a duel and behind the ARV. However, as you have guessed, I’m not most people.”

“Then who are you?”

Kaneko shook her head. The golden aura around her had increased, and was now enveloped him too and his body was disappearing in it. “Don’t worry about that right now. Just keep yourself safe, and make the others who will fight with us safe too. Unite them. I have to go elsewhere for now, but I have faith in you.”

With that the light burst and the two vanished.

At that moment the ARV wall dissipated, and exactly one hundred and thirty four duel drones that had amassed themselves in a crowd around the invisible barrier found themselves snatching at nothingness. Watching them from high above on opposite cliff faces, two other spectators stirred. One of them left the area immediately, the other sat casually where they were and continued to watch the drones mill around in confusion.

...17:22:15...

Blinking slowly as the semi darkened world of computers and offices returned around her, Clarissa pulled herself fully from her chair and removed her D-Gazer. As she stood, Evos took her place at the computer terminal in front of her and start fiddling away, whilst by her side Wilhelm was watching her intently. The new Somalian leader Didier Kazenga was also there behind him to bring her a report, looking most confused by the scene he had walked in on.

“You... were unsuccessful...”

“Yes brother, I was unsuccessful... for now.” Clarissa accepted the coffee offered to her by one of the other soldiers, unmoved by the others visible hunger for more information. Evos took a large gulp from his own drink whilst typing away and playing with various programs.

“She is strong to have maintained the wall around them and keep you and all those soldiers out” he stated, bringing up a new screen that was a program for private duel mode. “I didn’t think you would have a problem getting through it.”

“I didn’t expect it to be easy” she replied. “If I had got to her now it would have made progression faster and easier, but it was an unexpected chance that realistically not much could have been expected to yield much. That is why we must collect as many Numbers as possible. She will have to come to reclaim them eventually, she will have no choice. How many do we have now?”

“Progress is getting slower as the remaining Numbers are being held by stronger duelists. We have thirty five now, just over a third of their collective forces.” Clarissa was none committal in her reaction.

“What about the player... she was with?” Wilhelm asked. “This Jin kid? The duel play by play got messed up on record from when she appeared, so we don’t know how he turned it round, but I think we can... safely guess he has at least... some Numbers. You want our forces to go after him?”

“Yes, but not our strongest. I don’t know who he is or why he is so special, but she seems to have an interest in him at least. She might contact him again. Just keep him busy, make him fight and wear him down a bit, but not to breaking point just yet. Just keep an eye on him.” Wilhelm nodded his acceptance and rolled away, leaving Clarissa with the blank looking Kazenga. “What do you want?”

Kazenga’s face twisted into an ugly grimace. “It is nothing important ma’am.”

“Good. Then go away” she snapped, slumping into a chair as she watched the disgusted looking mercenary show himself out.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=About this...]
I do not intend for Jin and Kaneko's relationship to be completely like Yuma and Astral, despite evidence suggesting it here. It may still have been too much.
[/spoiler]

Right, so... see you all with the next update on Saturday night probably.

DEUS EX MACHINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not a fan of that, as you can probably tell. Not to mention, another mysterious person that obviously has good intentions but refuses to explain themselves or stick around for more than half a chapter? That's what, four now? Natsumi, Methuselah, the guy who's chilling out in the Dragon Ravine whose name I've forgotten, and now Kaneko. It's getting a bit repetitive, if you ask me.

Other than that, alright chapter I guess. Nothing too extraordinary.

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1334778822' post='5918080']
DEUS EX MACHINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not a fan of that, as you can probably tell. Not to mention, another mysterious person that obviously has good intentions but refuses to explain themselves or stick around for more than half a chapter? That's what, four now? Natsumi, Methuselah, the guy who's chilling out in the Dragon Ravine whose name I've forgotten, and now Kaneko. It's getting a bit repetitive, if you ask me.

Other than that, alright chapter I guess. Nothing too extraordinary.
[/quote]

*looks at thread to see number of replies since update*

*wonders why he's bothering with getting internet fixed*

Ah, now I see why Saber was giving it the I told you so line.

This makes the next chapter awkward as well... erm...

Methuselah and Murtagh crop up again in the next chapter, as do several other returning characters, and mysterious person number five... er... don't know what to say here to not say too much, um...

Well, I do know what to say actually, and that is most questions will be answered by the end of this arc tbh. i.e. over the next three weeks.

Archived