[Finished]Spellcaster and Warrior Contest [Complete/Please Lock]

Xi-3

For this contest, each Contestant will create and submit two cards. One will be a Spellcaster-type in the classical tradition, and the other will be an attending Warrior-type to undertake the melee aspects of a battle for the Spellcaster. I will ask for two volunteers to act as Judges with their own criteria. I would like between 6 and 10 Contestants, yet recognize that since I am relatively new at this I might not get all the Contestants I want -- in which case, the contest starts with the number of Contestants as have applied after 1 week.

Within each submission, I would like to see a Spellcaster of each Attribute before they start repeating, that way we see more variety. Contestants will be permitted to request an Attribute on a first-come, first-serve basis. Assuming we get enough contestants the Attributes become repeatable once they have all been chosen once. The Warrior can be of the same, or a different, Attribute. Beast-Warriors are permitted.

I will judge cards evenly (25%) based on:
1. Creativity in naming and picture choice,
2. Balance, and
3. the Cogency of the Description field (ie: does it make sense).
4. Just as critical is whether or not the cards work well together, thus Complimentary Effects are essential to the workings of this contest.

If you are up to the challenge please donate 25 points to my account. I will take a mere 5 points as an 'administrative fee,' while the rest goes into a pot to be divided amongst either First Place or First, Second, and Third depending on how many Competitors we get. If we do not get a minimum of 3 Competitors by the end of 1week (from time of 1st post) I will return all Points.

I believe that covers all the necessary details. Will you accept the challenge?

[spoiler=Contestants]
1. Remei11 - DARK/DARK
2. KuraiOokami - EARTH/EARTH
3. No. 32. Terror-Byte - LIGHT/LIGHT
[/spoiler]

UPDATE: The deadline for card submissions has passed. I have completed the card evaluations and awarded points. I have decided to set a 5-day limit for any feedback, comments, and similar you might have for me as a result of the contest and my evaluations. On Sunday, June 3 I will ask the Moderators to lock this topic, and I will start a new contest.

Welcome, and sounds like a plan: I'd have to return the points if we couldn't gather at least 2 other Competitors. Playing smart, that's what I like. What Attribute/s would you like for your Spellcaster and Warrior?

Thank you both for joining, Aviv: D's Knight and No. 34 Terror-Byte. We now have the barest minimum number of Contestants to proceed. Please do go ahead and donate the points for your entry fee. I would like to ask that you include 'Contest Entry Fee' in the 'reason' field.

We still have 3 available spots until we get into the butter zone I set initially, so I will continue to welcome all comers. At this point DARK, FIRE, and LIGHT-types have been taken. EARTH, WIND, WATER, and (if you can find sufficient reason for it) DIVINE are still available before we can rotate through the Attributes again. Are you up for it?

EDIT: Status Update - I have received the Entry Fee from Remei11 and No. 34 Terror-Byte. Standing by for Aviv: D's Knight's fee. In the meantime, there are only 2 days left for new entrants. On Tuesday the 15th, entry will be closed by 3:54 EST (a week after the original post). We will then begin the period for submission and judging, and since I have not received any requests to be a judge from others, it looks like that's my part alone for the contest. Remember: it is your decision whether or not you wish to take part in the contest. Good luck.

Entry to new Contestants is now closed.
Starting now I will be accepting card submission from our three Contestants. Aviv D's Knight, you have 1 week to submit your card together with your entry fee. Cards are due May 22nd at 4:00 EST, with possible extension due to exams to the 29th at 4:00 EST.
Good luck.

Ok mine are ready. I based them around some random Counter names I made up XD

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/iz57ib.png[/IMG]

Chaos Mancer Erikus
Level 4 DARK Spellcaster-Type Monster
ATK: 800
DEF: 2200

LORE: This card cannot be destroyed by battle. When a card(s) on your side of the field would be destroyed, you can add 1 Forge Counter (maximum 10) to negate the card's activation and destroy it. During your Standby Phase, pay 200 Life Points for each Forge Counter on this card.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2ezs2et.png[/IMG]

Arctic Lord Deathblaze:
Level 10 DARK Warrior-Type Monster.
ATK:?
DEF:0

LORE: This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned from your hand by controlling 1 "Chaos Mancer Erikus" with 5 or more Forge counters. When this card is Special Summoned, remove all Forge counters from a face-up "Chaos Mancer Erikus" you control. This card's original ATK is equal to the number of Forge counters removed by this effect x 900

I have decided to make use of the extension option, so card submissions are due on May 29th. Please be sure you are attacking the correct version for both cards that you wish to submit as your entry.

Actually, considering Aviv: D's Knight's lack of response even in delivering the entry fee, if you would be willing to sub in for him I wouldn't mind accepting your entry. Mind you, there're only 2 days left for submissions so if you plan on participating you'll have to do so on this much shorter time-frame than the others. Time for Submission ends May 29th at 4:00 EST. I will render a judgement on all submitted cards even if I don't get submissions from the minimum of 3 Contestants I had.

Spellcaster:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/w3Mtb.jpg[/img]

This monster can be Normal Summoned without Tributes if you have 3 or more LIGHT monsters in your graveyard. Once per turn you can target 1 LIGHT monster on your side of the field and send it to the graveyard. Inflict effect damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of the targeted monster. If this monster would be destroyed by card effect, you can discard 1 LIGHT monster to negate the effect and destroy the card. When this card is removed off the field, you receive damage equal to 100x the number of LIGHT monsters in your graveyard.

Warrior:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/NHsto.jpg[/img]

If this card is removed from the field and sent to the graveyard, Special Summon it to your side of the field during your next Stand By phase. This card's ATK is equal to 200x the number of LIGHT monsters in your graveyard. Once per turn you can discard 1 LIGHT monster from your hand to target one monster on your opponents side of the field. Unless your opponent can reveal a monster from their hand with an ATK higher than this cards ATK, the targeted monster is destroyed.

Okay, I'll give it a shot.
Points sent.

Warrior:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/K0PLN.jpg[/img]

Lore: If Rose Of The Red Stone is face on your side of the field you may summon this card without tributing. Once per turn you may cut the ATK of this creature in half and attack your opponents life points directly.

Spellcaster:

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/createcardy.jpg/"][img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8472/createcardy.jpg[/img][/url]

Lore: This card can not be destroyed as a result of battle. During each of your stand by phases increase the ATK and DEF of all Warrior type monsters on your side of the field. If Chain Gunner is face up on your side of the field this card is unaffected be the effect of trap cards.

Alright, then. I'm willing to continue waiting until tomorrow to see if Aviv pops in. Either way, we have 3 Contestants and everything looks good for the Judging stage. Inevitably I will interpret effects the way I read the words. I will include what I think they should be according to the shorthand grammar I use (lets call it Xi's Grammar), and what I think the OCG is likely to be if I have spotted any grammatical mistakes. I will evaluate the cards on their own merits, and how they work together. If you plan on making any final changes, I will accept them until 4:00PM tomorrow. Until then I will not render any sort of evaluation. See you all tomorrow.

Disclaimer: All evaluations and scores are to be taken as my opinion, and opinion alone. I invite any more experienced member to correct me on any technical details, as I, too, am learning.

[spoiler=Evaluating Remei11's Entry]
First off, you fulfilled the primary condition of 1 Spellcaster and 1 Warrior, both with the DARK attribute you requested. Now, the specifics.

[b]"Chaosmancer Erikus"[/b]
OCG: "This card cannot be destroyed by battle. When a card(s) on your side of the field would be destroyed by a Monster, Spell, or Trap Card's effect, negate the activation of its effect and destroy the card. Add 1 Counter to this card (max 10). During each Standby Phase pay 200 Life Points for each Counter on this card."
XCG: "This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn if a card(s) you control would be destroyed by a card's effect, negate it and destroy the card. Add 1 Counter to this card (max 5). Pay 200 Life Points for each Counter on this card during your Standby Phase."
[b]1. Creativity in Naming & Picture Choice:[/b] They are certainly creative names, which I would never have generated. I believe your term 'Chaos Mancer' is based on 'Necromancer,' in which case you could easily have made it a single word, as well. I admit I enjoy a certain reference to "Chaos Command Magician," one of my favourite official cards of all time, even if they have complimentary attributes. The picture is clearly of a Spellcaster-type, yet entirely too dark to determine any further detail about Erikus himself. These are my personal preference, however, so I would not dock more than 5 points. [20/25]
[b]2.[/b] [b]Balance:[/b] I would probably increase his ATK and decrease his DEF, although this is not strictly necessary. As he is I see him being used purely in Defense Position. The number of maximum Counters you assigned is incredibly high at 10. I have seen 5 (Silent Magician) and 3 (Skilled Dark Magician), but never 10. Of course, this could start a new trend however I do not think it is entirely realistic to expect this effect to succeed past the first time, when your opponent does not know about it. After that, s/he will do her/his best to avoid triggering that effect. Thus, while the Counters have the potential to be powerful I do not see "Erikus" ever gaining the full 10. On top of that, he is completely vulnerable to non-lethal effects. Maybe you were trying to keep him balanced this way. On a practical level, this makes him incredibly difficult to keep on the field. I would go so far as to say he is imbalanced in your opponent's favour, because if s/he can force Erikus into Attack Position you could suffer a great deal of damage to your Life Points. I can appreciate what you're trying to do through his effect, yet I would not add him to any of my decks. Even if you got your 10 Counters it would only be at great cost to your Life Points each Standby Phase. I believe that effect should be removed.[5/25]
[b]3. Cogency:[/b] It didn't make a whole lot of sense. At first I thought the effect related to destruction in battle, then I saw the word 'activation' and it sold me on it relating to cards' effects. Since you did not say which, I thought all of them. I am highly suspicious of complete immunity/protection, though. I would recommend one of two limits, and I have applied one of them. The first involves a cool-down period, with the result that the effect can only be used every 1, 2, or 3 turns. The second option is to choose 1 of Monster, Spell, or Trap Card effects and say he is immune to "all [card type] effects." This would make it more balanced as well, but the main issue with balance, I have already discussed. [15/25]
[b]4. Complimentary Effect:[/b] Presumably the protection from destruction operates toward Monster, Spell, and Trap Cards you control. They are not specific to your Warrior card, but can apply to it. Because of the LP cost I also looked forward to seeing what your Counters would do in relation to the Warrior. At this point I cannot truly score within this criteria. [TBD][15/25]

[b]Arctic Lord Deathblaze[/b]
[b]OCG:[/b] "This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned if you control 1 "Chaosmancer Erikus" with 5 or more Counters. Remove all Counters from "Chaosmancer Erikus." This card's ATK is 900x the number of Counters removed by this effect."
[b]XCG:[/b] "This card can only be Special Summoned by removing 5+ Counters from 1 "Chaosmancer Erikus" you control. This card's ATK is 900x the number of Counters removed by this effect."
[b]1. Creative Name & Picture:[/b] Definitely unexpected that a Warrior-type would also be a 'Lord,' and what's more an 'Arctic' called 'Deathblaze.' Perhaps it's a reflection that things can get so cold that it feels like it's burning. I like that the picture is bright enough to see all the details this time, and he does carry a certain menace. [25/25]
[b]2. Balance:[/b] It depends on the number of Counters used. Ten would give "Deathblaze" 9000 ATK, which is way overpowered for his Level. The 5 required to summon him gives him 4500 ATK, the same as Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon. At the same time he hasn't got any DEF, so an effect that switches him to Defense Position would leave him weak enough for Silent Magician to take out straight from summoning. So again, assuming the condition for summoning can even be met the balance is against the controller. Not as much, but still. [10/25]
[b]3. Cogency:[/b] The effect does make sense, at least. It's in interaction with "Erikus" that "Deathblaze" seems to fall down. I'll touch on that next. [25/25]
[b]4. Complimentary Effect:[/b] Rather than being complimentary "Deathblaze" depends on "Erikus" in order to even be summoned. Assuming he can be summoned, for the reason I discussed under "Erikus's" area, "Deathblaze's" effect does not allow for him to protect "Erikus," which is a central part of this contest's assignment. I was expecting a strength boost, a covering fire effect, or maybe healing. I think "Deathblaze" should have some strength all his own, and that he is nearly impossible to summon. He certainly should not depend entirely on "Erikus" to be summoned, in my opinion. I'm sorry to say I would not include these two in my Deck due to their being either incredibly difficult to maintain on the field, or incredibly difficult to summon. [15/25]

[b]Conclusion:[/b] While you did produce 1 Spellcaster and 1 Warrior I do not think they fulfill the goal of this contest, to create these two monsters to be able to cooperate effectively together. You did give them effects I would never have dreamed of, so that's pretty creative, yet they are so incredibly difficult to use that I doubt you could really use their abilities to full effect.

If I have interpreted their effects incorrectly, please do feel free to inform me. At this point, I would appreciate your input if it would allow me to understand your entry better. As they stand, your overall score is 65%.
[/spoiler]

I will evaluate the other two entries at a later time.

Archived