[LOCK PLEASE] [The Final Episode] Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel: Episode 74/75: The Ultimate End Game

Synchronized

Other than the card effect mistake you mentioned in your post, there was one: Advanced Heraldry art requires you to Xyz immediately. There is no time for an additional summon.

...Oh, the story. Right.

Calion walked right into that one. You'd think someone with that ridiculous amount of power would be smart enough to see what was happening a bit earlier. But really, D.D. monsters aren't THAT overly threatening. I mean, unless the deck was stacked, or the Queen had known ahead of time that they would do massive damage, they aren't the best things to base a deck off of. Just saying.

And the Queen, like every other antagonist, decides that it would be more effective to set up a trap than to have her armies attack him, even though there's a clear advantage to a direct assault. Calion is powerful, but he isn't Superman.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are heating up in the Valley, I see. Calion's going straight for the Queen, who apparently has a trap of her own in place for when he arrives. They must have some intel on who he is and what he's doing, since the guard knew his name, so that'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Nice to see that you've powered down Calion a bit in this chapter, too. You have a bit of a power creep sometimes, with characters becoming more and more powerful as the story goes on, so this was a welcome change. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the duel, too. It was a bit short, but enjoyable.

Keeping our discussions in mind, the upcoming chapters should be very interesting, and I look forward to reading them.

We talked about this in detail but I just wanted to make it known that I'm definitely going to work on toning down the power creep, of course until the finale where I'm sure something will happen along those lines with the D-Stage, but that's to be expected, I'd say.  

The Queen's identity and her connections should be an interesting development, and I'm looking forward to the responses I get when that reveal is made.

Other than the card effect mistake you mentioned in your post, there was one: Advanced Heraldry art requires you to Xyz immediately. There is no time for an additional summon.

...Oh, the story. Right.

Calion walked right into that one. You'd think someone with that ridiculous amount of power would be smart enough to see what was happening a bit earlier. But really, D.D. monsters aren't THAT overly threatening. I mean, unless the deck was stacked, or the Queen had known ahead of time that they would do massive damage, they aren't the best things to base a deck off of. Just saying.

And the Queen, like every other antagonist, decides that it would be more effective to set up a trap than to have her armies attack him, even though there's a clear advantage to a direct assault. Calion is powerful, but he isn't Superman.

You're right about Advanced Heraldry Art, but that's the TCG effect.  The Anime effect didn't have that restriction, and since this is "Anime-based", I'll more often than not go with the Anime effect just because there's a little more leeway.

In a perfect world I'm sure that would be the case, but think about it - Calion's not really in the right state of mind; he's worried about saving everyone and his confidence is still shaken from the duel with Unos.  Perhaps if he was at full power in that respect things would be different.

There's certainly logic behind the Queen's motives, I can assure you that.

Everyone has already said the stuff I was going to say about the story, so I'll skip onto the duel instead.

First off, Unicorn does NOT have 1800 ATK. It has 1100, and any attempt to attack D.D. Wolf would have been useless. Didn't really matter in the end, but it can't really be corrected unless there was some justification. Second, Calion should have lost 1800 LP, not 1500, since Mr. Wolf gains 300 ATK for every D.D. monster on the field. Again, didn't matter that much, but mistakes rustle my jimmies somewhat in duels, so I won't go easy on you. The rest of the duel seems alright, I do like the D.D. archetype and wish there had been more support that didn't suck. Clever use of AHA, and since you gave justification that you were using its anime effect, I'll let that one slide.

Also, Leo's finally got his effect back! Glad he's got over his case of post-destruction jitters. I'm not letting go of that one, you know. 'Dramatic convenience' my bum. :P

Everyone has already said the stuff I was going to say about the story, so I'll skip onto the duel instead.

First off, Unicorn does NOT have 1800 ATK. It has 1100, and any attempt to attack D.D. Wolf would have been useless. Didn't really matter in the end, but it can't really be corrected unless there was some justification. Second, Calion should have lost 1800 LP, not 1500, since Mr. Wolf gains 300 ATK for every D.D. monster on the field. Again, didn't matter that much, but mistakes rustle my jimmies somewhat in duels, so I won't go easy on you. The rest of the duel seems alright, I do like the D.D. archetype and wish there had been more support that didn't suck. Clever use of AHA, and since you gave justification that you were using its anime effect, I'll let that one slide.

Also, Leo's finally got his effect back! Glad he's got over his case of post-destruction jitters. I'm not letting go of that one, you know. 'Dramatic convenience' my bum. :P

Does Unicorn really have 1100 ATK?  I swear it had 1800 once.  ._.

That wasn't done for the sake of the duel, that was done because I legitimately thought it was 1800.  Must've been an error on my part.  However, D.D. Wolf gains 300 for every D.D. monster when it's actually Summoned.  At the time it was Summoned, it was the only one on the field.  :P

I suppose the only real mistake I've made in terms of the duel was Unicorn, but I swear that wasn't intentional xD

Also yeah, Leo decided he was going a bit better.  :P

Hey dude/gal (not taking gender risks), i just started reading the fanfic and i'm really liking it so far. And would you mind if i borrow your lightray cards for an rp?

Um, Lightray cards already exist in real life. http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lightray This means you can definitely use it. Unless .Accel made up his own support cards, in which case it's his call. By the way, you can tell if his cards are real or not by checking the spoilers. If there's a spoiler after the card, he made it. If not, it's a real card.

Hey dude/gal (not taking gender risks), i just started reading the fanfic and i'm really liking it so far. And would you mind if i borrow your lightray cards for an rp?

Of course not, that's totally cool.

Somewhat surprised to see a new reader at this stage in the game.  Will you be continuing to follow the story?  Having someone else to leave feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's been a few days, but I've got a brand new episode, and I think it was worth the wait.  This one ended up at over 4,000 words, and I imagine the next one will be, too, since it's one of the biggest duels of the Series for reasons not yet revealed.  For those of you who aren't too keen on Dueling, the next few Chapters will definitely be geared in that direction, so bare with me.  We'll still see one more big fight before the Series ends.

Another thing, an important update, the Series' end date of Episode 85 is no longer existent.  In fact, it will probably end much sooner than that.  Due to some re-tooling and re-structuring, I've decided to just go with the flow a bit and not worry about a specific episode number for the end.  I don't want to have any filler as we finish the Series because I want everything to be impactful heading into Accel II.  Looking forward to the feedback on this one, guys.

And to see what errors Eon's gonna point out. :P

[spoiler=Episode 67: The Royal Palace, Part 2]

“Your Highness, it would appear that the intruder has made his way into the palace.”  Reporting the latest update, Shuniro was unsure how the Queen would respond to such news.  This was the first time he had spoken with her personally since the events had begun, but rumors were circulating amongst the palace that she actually wanted the intruder to make his way in.  “Please pardon the interruption, but the command is waiting on your orders, what step you wish to take next?”

The Queen’s eyes lit up with excitement, and her response was one of a child on Christmas morning, delightfully pleased.  “Just as I figured he would.  This is all coming along so excellently.  Shuniro, I wish to meet with him.  But before that, I believe one more test is fitting, wouldn’t you say?”

Episode 67: The Royal Palace, Part 2

Unsure of how to respond, the boy hesitated.  On the one hand, he didn’t understand the reasoning behind letting someone, especially someone powerful enough to defeat Ruskor and Lakos, roam the palace without any form of restriction.  On the other hand, the Queen looked to have things under control and he didn’t wish to inspire her anger.  He replied, to keep the peace.  “Of course, your Highness.  What did you have in mind?  Shall I report back to command?”

She shook her head; her face had come alive with joy.  Shuniro wondered why she was so into this guy, what his importance was.  Rumors were that he had come from the human world, but other than that not much was known.  Still, he managed to defeat two of the most powerful warriors in their army – he was obviously different from the others.  “I don’t think that will be necessary, not at all Shuniro.  Command annoys me, they think they have all the answers but I prefer not to play by the book.  It just...it makes things so boring.”

“Agreed ma’am,” he responded with a playful laugh, although his nerves were tense.  “Very boring indeed.”

“I’ve come to like you, Shuniro,” she smiled.  “We’re so similar in age, I feel like you understand me better than all of the elders, the ones who “oversee” things, you know?  They’re all so strict and uptight.  That’s not the way I want to rule.  So I’ve decided to give you the honor of being the intruder’s final test,” the Queen said.

Instantly Shuniro froze up; he wasn’t much of a fighter.  His dueling skills were up there with some of the best, but the thought of locking horns with the intruder wasn’t high on his to-do list.  Sadly, he didn’t have much of an option.  Incurring the Queen’s wrath would guarantee failure.  At least here, he had a chance of survival.  “I...” he took a deep breath.  “As you wish m’lady.”

“I’m so glad you’re on board, this will be excellent.  If he is able to defeat you, Shuniro, then I assure you, your sacrifice will not go in vein,” the happiness in her eyes was both stunning and sinister at the same time; to so-willingly allow a loyal servant to go into battle and expect him to understand that his life was very much at risk, while not seeing the moral issues with it, those were the kind of qualities that she possessed.  And she did not realize the error in them, not the slightest.  “Well then, what are you waiting for?”  She urged.  “He’s almost here, why not go meet him?”

Frozen in the moment, Shuniro looked up at the ceiling before bowing, and seeing himself out.  “Yes ma’am.”

---

Walking right into a trap, knowing you were doing so, that was crazy, wasn’t it?  The duel with Lakos had more than shown that the Queen was awaiting his arrival.  But he had no choice, no time to try and resolve a plan.  All of this, everything he had done up to this point was done on impulse, knowing that he had to return to Earth and finish the battle; they were all waiting on him.  If he lost his life when all was said and done, it would be okay.  But he could not afford to lose it yet, not here.

Despite everything that had happened between now and then, the battle had come full circle to its original starting point.  He still had not been able to find Rai Valiant, the reason for this entire battle.  But along the way he had gained invaluable knowledge, allies, and gently touched upon the ever-changing concept humans called ‘emotion’.  Nothing was as it seemed, nothing was written in stone.  That’s what he had learned. 

He found himself standing in the center of one of the most marvelous sights he’d ever laid eyes on.  At the end of this incredible hallway was a set of doors carved from solid gold, and standing about fifteen feet high.  They were, quite obviously the Queen’s chambers.  But that was just the beginning; the near twenty-foot hallway was lined with impeccably beautiful stone pillars, carved with intricate designs and painted with the finest materials.  It was truly a spectacle, and unlike anything he’d ever seen before.

While he had a feeling that before this day was over, this palace would end up torn apart one way or another, he took but a moment to admire its beauty.  The reality had set in – this battle was about to commence.

Before he could take another step, though, a figure stepped out from behind the pillar closest to the golden doors.  Calion was expecting another fiend-like creature similar to Raskor, or someone burly like Lakos, but what he saw was neither.  And it was quite surprising.   The figure was a young boy, he actually resembled Xiael in some ways.  He was short; no more than five and a half feet tall, and his brown hair was messy and disjumbled atop his head.

What’s worse is he didn’t even look sinister.  He wasn’t smiling – more like a scowl – but the look in his eyes was an innocent one, which was strange considering it was the first time Calion had encountered anyone along those lines since landing here.  At the same time, the duel disk on the boy’s arm made it clear he was not an ally, but an enemy.  Right off the bat, he had a weird feeling.  Something just didn’t feel right here.

Should he say something first?  Or should he wait?  The boy didn’t advance any further, simply stood in the middle of the red carpet leading towards the Queen’s chambers.  It turns out he didn’t have to say a thing – the boy had taken care of it.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you go any further,” he said, though his confidence suggested otherwise.  The words coming from the boy’s mouth didn’t match the facial expressions resting on his face.  “I’m sure this is no surprise to you, but the Queen knows of your arrival.  She’s anxious to meet you, but I have been ordered to prevent you from coming any further.  I’m aware that this may sound strange, but understand that I’m simply following orders.”  The boy nearly swallowed his tongue.

Calion could tell he was nervous; he couldn’t have been more than sixteen years old, and that was a bit of a stretch.  Why would the final challenge before the Queen be so drastically different than the others?  Either he was an extremely skilled duelist, or there was something more going on here.  Definitely avoiding a duel with the boy would be ideal, but unfortunately that wasn’t an option.  It pained him to think about, but if the only way to get to the Queen was to go through this duel, he might have no other choice.  Unless he could convince the boy otherwise.

“What is your name?” Calion asked.  “You’re different from the others here, I’m getting the feeling that you’re not out for blood.  So tell me, why are you here?”

Nervously, the boy swallowed before producing his answer.  “My name is Shuniro.  I am but a servant here, not in the slightest in a high ranking position.  I merely do what I’m asked.  Truthfully I don’t know why the Her Highness has asked me to take you on, but I have no other choice.”

“These people,” Calion said.  “I’m told that the Valley of Souls was once a place of peace.  That before the Queen and others arrived here, things weren’t like this.  It was a peaceful resting place.  If you’re a part of this, then tell me, why have you come here?  What is the purpose?”

Saddened, Shuniro shook his head.  “I do not have an answer for that.  My memory does not extend beyond two or three years ago.  I don’t even know how old I am, to tell you the truth.  I just woke up here one day, and I guess with the power push they have around here, it’s not hard to fall in line.  I’ve worked my way up, but no one seems to know about my past.  And those that do, if there are any, I imagine they wouldn’t share that information anyway.  Now please, I don’t wish to discuss this any further.  If you wish to confront the Queen, we have a duel ahead of us.”

He doesn’t remember anything?  What could that mean?  Were the others like that, too?  Ruskor definitely didn’t seem that way – you could tell he was evil just by the look in his eyes.  But this one, like he’d pointed out, was not like them at all.  The only explanation for the Queen’s presence was through a method of transportation other than death; they must have found another way to get here.  Which might have meant that some of the others came here through a similar method – he felt like he was grasping for an answer but nothing was coming to him.   It was obvious that Shuniro wasn’t going to change his mind.  But if they dueled and Calion was victorious...

“Before we do this, I’m going to ask you one time.  Will you not step aside and let me through?” Calion asked.  “Will you insist on forcing this fight at all costs, knowing full well what the result could bring?”

The two stood in silence for a moment, as Calion let the words sink in.  Shuniro nodded his head.  So it was, then.  “Then there’s no other option.  Let’s duel.”

With no words, Shuniro nodded his head and activated his duel disk.  Calion did the same, as the virtual reality link was established, scanning the palace hall.  There was no turning back now.  This boy was the only thing standing between Calion and the Queen.

“I’ll begin, ha!” Shuniro declared, drawing his starting hand.  “And I’ll start by summoning Steelswarm Cell (0) in Defense.”  The small black robotic bug materialized on the field, landing above a horizontal hologram which had appeared before it.  “I don’t really know what I’m up against, so it’s best to play it safe for now.  One card face-down and that should do it.”

Steelswarms, huh?  I’ve never heard of ‘em.  Definitely eerie looking little things.  “My move!” Calion drew his starting hand next.  “As impressive as your monster might be, I’ve got no choice but to one-up it!  Rise, Heraldic Beast Aberconway (1800)!”  The dragon, its crimson-red wings whisking through the air, took to the field in a blaze of glory.  “Now Aberconway, attack his Cell with Crimson Blaze!”

The molten flames were too much for Shuniro’s creature to withstand as it exploded into pixels.  His face-down card, he’d considered using it, but he’d be better suited to wait until things got a little more intense.  It had already become clear that his opponent was no pushover – again adding to the strangeness of the Queen wishing for him to be the one to duel.  Aggressive play wasn’t really his thing.

I’m still not a fan of this idea, but there’s nothing else I can do.  Suppressing his concerns, the ever-fading images of Sora and the others became the focus of his mind – at any cost, he had to save them.  “One card face-down, and I end my turn.”

“Good, I go,” he said.  “And I’ll begin with this, the Spell Card Infestation Gathering!”

[spoiler=Infestation Gathering]

Normal Spell Card

Activate only if you control no monsters.  Target 1 Level 4 or lower “Steelswarm” monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position.  It cannot be used as a Tribute Summon, except for the Tribute Summon of a “Lswarm” monster.  Destroy it during the End Phase.[/spoiler]

“With this, I’m able to bring Steelswarm Cell (0) back to the field, but only long enough so that I can offer it as a sacrifice to bring out a much stronger, more evolved version,” Shuniro explained.  “Now I’ll offer Steelswarm Cell to call forth, Steelswarm Moth (2400)!”  The strange markings on the small critter’s back began to glow as it expanded, its wingspan nearly tripling in size as it grew to a human height.  A venomous tail extended from its backside, the end of which was capable of releasing a deadly poison.

I’ve never been much of an insect guy.  Calion thought, a bit skived.

“The power comes from Steelswarm Moth’s special effect, which can only be activated if a ‘Steelswarm’ monster was offered as tribute!”  The humanoid insect raised its tail, a neon green poison collecting at the opening.  “Now by paying one thousand Life Points, I can target two cards on your side of the field and return them both to your hand!”

Shuniro’s LP: 3000

The boy shrugged off the pain from sacrificing Life Points, which were the same as his physical life-force in this world, because it would be worth it to appease the Queen.  Moth released the toxins, and Aberconway was forced to retreat, as both it and the Set card on Calion’s field materialized back in the Spirit’s hand.

“Damn,” Calion swore under his breath.  His field was wide-open and it didn’t take a genius to know that Moth’s attack was gonna sting like a bitch, no pun intended.  His Trap Card, ‘Dimensional Prison’, had he been able to use it, would’ve cleared the Moth from the field entirely, but back in his hand it was of no use, and he’d have to wait another turn in able to use it.  Still, he had to get that thing off the field somehow, because if Shuniro was able to Tribute Summon another monster – apparently the Deck’s main goal no less – he’d be totally screwed.

“Forgive me, but I have to do this,” he replied apologetically.  “Steelswarm Moth, strike his Life Points directly with Infestation Venom!”  A more concentrated version of the toxic fumes, the Moth attacked from its tail once more, only this time the attack was headed for Calion directly.  And he could do nothing to stop it.  The strike caught him head-on, some of the toxins entering his body and making it difficult for him to breathe.

Calion’s LP: 1600

Inside his body, it felt like the poison was already beginning to take effect, a stinging pain that seemed to grow worse by the second.  In that one attack, he’d lost over half his Life Points, and he couldn’t afford to take another one.  But the poison was a concern too – these duels were all too real.  Even if his Life Points didn’t run out, that didn’t mean his life force wouldn’t.  He had no idea what kind of toxins he was up against.  Damnit, I can barely breathe.  He hadn’t even noticed himself keeled over, just gasping for air as the attack continued to take its toll.

Shuniro showed no signs of emotion one way or another, almost as if he was trying to look away from the situation and not acknowledge what was unfortunate to him, too.  “With Moth’s attack finished, I’ll end.”

Fighting through the pain, Calion couldn’t afford to give up. He drew.  “Unfortunately for you, that face-down card isn’t going to have much of a chance to stick around.  I activate the Spell Card Mystical Space Typhoon!”  Whirling up a strong windstorm, Calion’s Spell Card took effect, targeting the only non-monster on Shuniro’s field. 

“I can’t let you do that, I’m afraid!  I activate the Spell Card Infestation Pandemic!”  Before the Typhoon made its mark, the card revealed itself, depicting a darker, more advanced version of the toxic virus the Moth had released, forming a veil of sorts around the futuristic creature.  “When Pandemic is in play, all Steelswarm monsters become invincible to the effects of any Spell or Trap Cards until the end phase of this turn, meaning any methods you were planning to use to take my monster out are rendered useless!”

If I let that monster stay there another turn, it’s going to be game over.  It’ll kill me before this virus does.  I’m not fond of exhausting resources like this so early on, but if I don’t there won’t be any resources left to exhaust.  “A smart play, but not one I didn’t see coming.  Thankfully, your monster isn’t protected from attacks, which means there’s still an outlet for me to take it out!  So rise once again, Heraldic Beast Aberconway (1800)!”  But he wasn’t done yet.  “Aberconway’s itching to get some payback, but he’s unable to do it alone.  “So I’ll bring out Amethyst Knight (1800) to assist him!”

Clad in emerald-lined armor, the vengeful knight appeared on the field alongside the dragon.  “Of course, Amethyst’s Knight’s special ability activates now, which allows me to send a second Heraldic Beast Aberconway from my Deck to the Graveyard. But we’ll worry about that later.”  Prepared to build the overlay network, it was time to premiere a new monster.  “There’s a first time for everything, and the logic holds true here, as I build the Overlay Network to Xyz Summon Gem-Knight Pearl (2600)!” 

Like a priceless statue come to life, the rock-based warrior appeared on the field, its body a combination of stone and minerals, but more important than that, it’s immensely high attack power.  “Looks like you weren’t expecting this.  Sure I didn’t want to have to use Gem-Knight Pearl just yet, but it’s the only option I have right now.  That’s a bad thing for you.  Pearl, take out his monster, go Oni-Gami Combo!”

Shuniro’s Life Points: 2800

I didn’t expect him to make a comeback so easily.  Shuniro said, though not discouraged.  Until now, he had managed to hold his own quite well.  As much as he detested having to partake in this duel, the Queen had entrusted him with this honor, and he was going to make her proud.  He had sworn to do so even at the cost of his life.  Still, Calion didn’t seem evil.  He wondered, what was the duelist’s reasoning for coming here?  And how had he gotten as far as he had?  Questions that he would probably never find out the answers to.

“That’s gonna do it,” Calion declared, setting a face-down card from his hand before passing the turn.

“So you’re very good, I’ll give you that,” he said, drawing a card.  “But you won’t be able to go any further; I can’t allow you to harm the Queen.  This is my sworn duty!  I draw!”  Excellent.  He’d drawn Steelswarm Girastag, a Level 7 monster but the one that would be the key to ending this duel.  By not exuberating confidence from the beginning, he had been able to assure that he played with a clear head and a focused strategy, something his opponent didn’t appear to do. 

“In order to achieve this goal, I’ll summon Steelswarm Gatekeeper (1500)!”  A black armor-clad creature vaguely resembling an armadillo appeared on the field, poised on all fours.  “Thanks to Gatekeeper’s effect, if a ‘Steelswarm’ monster will be Tribute Summoned during this turn, I’m allowed an additional Normal Summon or Set, so I’ll be using Gatekeeper for that exact purpose!  I offer Gatekeeper to call forth Steelswarm Girastag (2600)!”

While the others had been intimidating, they were nothing compared to the might of Girastag as the seven foot tall insectoid appeared on the field.  Sporting a tail similar to Moth’s, only larger, Girastag was also armed with a cannon made from the same metallic black material as the monster itself.  But the worst was yet to come.  “I’m sure you’re wondering why I would summon Girastag when it has the same attack points as your Gem-Knight Pearl, but just like Steelswarm Moth, if I summon Girastag using a ‘Steelswarm’ monster as a Tribute, it gets its own special ability!”

Calion grimaced.  He had seen this coming, but that didn’t make it any less difficult to endure.  Meanwhile, the poison was still working its way through his body, and things weren’t getting any easier.

“Now, Girastag is able to send a monster on your field to the Graveyard, and once it does, I gain one-thousand Life Points!”  Shuniro exclaimed as Girastag pointed its cannon at Pearl.  A bright white aura surrounded Shuniro, healing his wounds as his Life Points restored themselves at the same time.  If this went through, Calion was done for.  “Forgive me, but this is as far as you’ll go!  Steelswarm Girastag, end this duel now with Hyper Metal Cannon!”

Raising the cannon a second time, the monster fired a toxic blast packed with incredible amounts of force straight in Calion’s direction.  He felt himself shaking, the poison still going strong, as he watched the attack head straight for him.  Up until now his mind has been conflicted, feeling resentment towards the fact that he would have to take an innocent servant’s life in order to escape from here.   But as the duel had continued, Shuniro had become more and more determined to win, because as the boy said himself – he had sworn to.

At the same time, Calion had made a promise of his own.  A promise to save his friends, the few people he held closest to him.  And he couldn’t afford to let those people down.

“This duel isn’t over yet!”  He exclaimed, pressing the button on his duel disk to reveal his set card at the last second.  “Activate Trap Card, Xyz Overcharge!” Right before the blast struck, his Life Points increased by eight-hundred.  It helped a bit, but the full-force of Girastag’s attack nullified any of the healing.

Calion’s Life Points: 800

“What’s this?”  Shuniro asked once the smoke cleared, as Calion placed his right hand on the ground to stop himself from falling over, breathing heavily.

[spoiler=Xyz Overcharge]

Normal Trap Card

Activate only when an Xyz Monster you control is sent to the Graveyard.  Gain Life Points equal to that monster’s Rank x 200.  Then, if there were 2 or more Xyz Material attached to that card; you can Special Summon those monsters in face-up Defense Position.  They cannot declare an attack and their effects are negated.[/spoiler]

“I couldn’t...allow myself to lose...not yet...not when there’s still something I have to do...” as he spoke, Calion started to stand, and Shuniro noticed the two monsters which had resurfaced on his field, looking weaker than before, but still very much there.  “Thanks...to my Trap Card, what little life was left in Gem-Knight Pearl when you destroyed him is added to my Life Points, giving me just enough to stay alive.”

“It can’t be...” Shuniro said aloud, though indirectly.  “I should have won the duel with that last attack!”

“Sorry kid...I don’t want to have to...kill you...but unfortunately...as I’m sure you can attest to...the stakes are higher when you’re fighting for something precious to you.”  Before he’d said anything, Calion had already drawn a card, and the wind pressure inside the palace nearly tripled, tearing up bits of the red carpet which had looked so eloquent before the duel began.  “I can’t afford to lose!  Xyz Summon, both Heraldic Beast Aberconway and Amethyst Knight, join together to bring forth the master of storms, Lightning Chidori (1900)!”

To be continued...[/spoiler]

Alright, seems I'm getting a reputation as the Duel Fixer. Could be worse, I guess. Having blatant errors in duels irks me.

Two things; First off, I'm guessing Amethyst Knight has some kind of Special Summon ability, cause otherwise he and Abercornway were summoned in the same turn. Second, Gatekeeper's ability doesn't work that way, much as we all might want it to. He only allows an extra Normal Summon or Set after a Tribute Summon has been performed, and only if Gatekeeper is still on the field. But that's all for the Duel Fixing.

I must say, I love Gem-Knight Pearl. Don't ask me why, but he's my favourite Rank 4 after Number 8. So the whole Oni-Gami Combo made me laugh. You should have described it! I would have loved to have read about Pearl mushing a large insect with his multiple PAWNCHES.

As for the rest of the chapter, the Queen is even more delightfully evil than I thought, sending this boy (who is, as you wrote, close to her own age, whichever way you're playing it) to duel a guy who has shown to be able to beat even the strongest of soldiers. You'd think that she'd keep him for defense, or something. Oh well, and he seemed so agreeable too. I do hope he's going to be more complex than simple duel fodder.

So, first thing: You had a spelling/grammar error. Early on, the queen says 'even if you lose, your death won't be in vein.' Notice how it used 'vein', as in the body part with the Arteries. It should be 'vain'.

Anyway, for the story, I was rather surprised that the queen claimed that her servant was around her age, so I'm imagining some old, wiry kook. Then this kid comes out, meaning the queen is a teenager, or time travels differently around the Valley of Souls.

See, the test here is going to be Calion dueling this innocent little kid. He's going to hesitate on the final blow or something. That's the test.

Undoubtedly the biggest episode since the Series began, and my favorite that I've ever written.  Pay attention to the dialogue, don't skim this guys, I know it's long but it literally answers so many questions and brings everything full-circle.

Please, please if you read it leave feedback, I want to know what everyone thinks.  We're nearing the end of the Series.

[spoiler=Episode 68: The Clash of Storms]

“I couldn’t...allow myself to lose...not yet...not when there’s still something I have to do...” as he spoke, Calion started to stand, and Shuniro noticed the two monsters which had resurfaced on his field, looking weaker than before, but still very much there.  “Thanks...to my Trap Card, what little life was left in Gem-Knight Pearl when you destroyed him is added to my Life Points, giving me just enough to stay alive.”

“It can’t be...” Shuniro said aloud, though indirectly.  “I should have won the duel with that last attack!”

“Sorry kid...I don’t want to have to...kill you...but unfortunately...as I’m sure you can attest to...the stakes are higher when you’re fighting for something precious to you.”  Before he’d said anything, Calion had already drawn a card, and the wind pressure inside the palace nearly tripled, tearing up bits of the red carpet which had looked so eloquent before the duel began.  “I can’t afford to lose!  Xyz Summon, both Heraldic Beast Aberconway and Amethyst Knight, join together to bring forth the master of storms, Lightning Chidori (1900)!”

Episode 68: The Clash of Storms

Ripping the carpet to shreds, the windstorms around them grew far stronger, to the point where the breeze itself was becoming visible, like it was energy of some sort.  From the immense pressures, it began to materialize, first a pair of wings ever-growing in nature, and between them a beast, filled with rage and vaguely resembling a dragon.  Lightning Chidori.

It had been decided.  At this point, he couldn’t afford to waste any more time.  He had no choice but to go for it.  Too much depended on his victory and his escape.  Enough lives had been lost, enough people hurt, this battle had to end.  “Now Chidori, roar!  Once my beast hits the field, I can detach an overlay unit to target a card on your field, and when I do, Chidori blasts that card straight back to the top of your Deck!”

Shuniro didn’t have to say it; he only had one card on his field.  And Girastag was about to go bye-bye.

“It’s time to turn the tables!  Lightning Chidori, attack his Life Points directly with Emerald Storm Hurricane!”  Retreating from its dragon formation, the winds began to spiral around one another, intertwining to create a massive typhoon, and in one swift motion, shot across the field blasting into Shuniro directly.  But it didn’t end there, the force of the attack crashed straight into him, slamming him into one of the stone pillars that held up the great hallway.

Shuniro’s LP: 900

When the smoke cleared from Chidori’s attack, Calion saw his opponent in a crumbled heap against the pillar.  Upon impact, it had begun to crack, expanding upwards rather quickly.  He saw the whole thing unfold but couldn’t get himself to react in time to do anything about it.  And the pillar crashed down all at once, the giant pieces of stone and rubble landing on Shuniro directly.

There was no way anyone could survive that impact.  Calion was shaky just watching it happen.

The poison was still flowing strong – and after the attack had settled, he felt it kick in again.  Dropping to his knees, he grabbed his abdomen, as if that would somehow release or at least weaken the pain, but he couldn’t do a damn thing about it.  It was like the inside of his body was tightening by the second, stinging pain after stinging pain coursing through him.  Undoubtedly the worst pain he’d ever felt, made worse by his inner-conflict with the boy’s death.  That was a brutal way to die, and it hadn’t been his intent, but caught between a rock and a hard place he had no other choice.  So that’s it then...the duel is over.  Something was missing, though.  Had no one heard the crash?  Wouldn’t the Queen have alerted her forces to the scene?  Did no one care about this boy’s life?

---

It was just then that he’d noticed – the duel wasn’t over.  The duel disks were still linked.  But how?  Surely Shuniro hadn’t survived the fall.  The toxic aura returned once more, pure black in color.  It began to swirl around the pile, with a gravitational pull so strong that it literally ripped the rocks away and tossed them carelessly into the walls and other pillars – at this rate the building would collapse on itself.

But after clearing the rubble, the virus lowered itself downward onto Shuniro’s body, becoming one with it, leaving black markings everywhere from the boy’s head to his feet.  Through a force not his own, Shuniro’s body was pulled to a standing position, although it was clear now that the boy from earlier was no longer here – he was long gone.  Even his eyes were different – they were pure black as well.

Any of his wounds that might have been caused from the fall had closed up – he was completely healed.

What in the...what the hell is going on here?  Calion couldn’t believe the sight before his eyes – this wasn’t really happening, was it?  The boy’s power levels had multiplied tenfold, if not more.  This was no longer Shuniro.  But it was familiar.  He recognized it, this power, this evil, he’d seen it somewhere before.

---

“Wrong! Your arrogance may have gotten you far, but against this newfound power you stand no chance at all!” With Nikolai's words, Calion could feel a strange presence in the arena. Something was definitely off. “Now thanks to Bahamut Shark's special ability, I will Special Summon Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction (3000/RK3)!”

The stadium began to shake, the ground between them crackling and exploding as bits of lava flew out from beneath it. A presence that felt strong at first became much more so, as the towering creature that was the Acid Golem of Destruction, a stone behemoth with a heart of darkness, emerged from the depths, embodied with the same dark-red aura as its controller. With that monster's presence on the field, there was an eerie feeling in the air.

---

His duel – the Tournament Duel with Nikolai.  He felt this same presence before when the Acid Golem of Destruction had been summoned.  At the time he’d believed it to be Lucien’s doing, but through Lucien’s admission it was not – he had paid it no attention before, but now...

“Who...what are you...” Calion didn’t know what to say.  He was staring into the eyes of pure evil.  “S...Shuniro?”

Confirmation that Shuniro was no longer there was given with the reply; the boy’s light, caring-but-determined voice was a thing of the past; the new voice sounded like darkness itself, it was the only way to describe it.  “The boy you seek is no longer here.  But thanks to you, I am free at last.  Almost.  How good it feels to be alive once again.”

That voice...it IS the same one who took over Nikolai back in the duel.  Who is he...?  Calion, for the first time, felt fear.  Or at least, what he presumed was fear.  His entire body was shaking, and he was at a loss for words.  The confidence he’d maintained after his failure had been whisked away in a matter of seconds.

“I see, it would appear that for the first time in your life, you have no remarks,” he said.  “Allow me to introduce myself, I am the Spirit known as Allier.  I am sure you have many questions, and I would be willing to bet that even now as I speak your mind is still struggling to put together the pieces and figure out how this came to be.”

“You see, I am not a vengeful one,” Allier replied.  “I have spent several years trying to reclaim what is mine, but for some reason the humans are unwilling to cooperate with me.  The constant refusal has forced me to take more – drastic measures.”

“Reclaim what is yours?” A confused Calion responded.  “I don’t understand.  What does that have to do with this place?”

Allier smiled.  “Such a naïve fool, but that has always been your quality, Calion.  I suppose it cannot be helped.  There is a great deal you don’t know, and while I will very shortly be forced to kill you in order to complete my resurrection, I suppose it would be no harm to finally answer the questions that have long since plagued your mind.”

Complete his...resurrection?

“It’s time for a history lesson, so get comfortable.  Shuniro Asai was actually a spirit, once.  During my time in the Mid-World he served under me, over-seeing the day-to-day operations of our village.  He was as loyal as could be, and a valiant warrior at that.”  Allier said.  “His entire life was devoted to following orders and being the best soldier he could be.  Until one day, when an intruder broke into the village, demanding change.  He was a human, this intruder.  The thought still sickens me, but he believed that spirits and humans alike were good, and that there was a way for us to co-exist.  Such a silly gesture.”

Calion grimaced – he had once thought the same.  But now, his experiences had led him to believe otherwise.

“Many of the spirits rejected the gesture right off the bat, but a select few were willing to listen to what this fool had to say, Shuniro included.”  He spat on the ground in distaste.  “Days passed and it appeared that many of the others were starting to follow along.  I feared it would soon spread beyond the village itself.  So I used my power to wipe his memory clean, Shuniro’s, leaving him nothing but a warrior, who would question no orders.  Upon his change in demeanor, he tried to kill the human, but somehow the fool managed to escape.”

So it was Allier who wiped Shuniro’s memory...that’s why I could sense some good in him.  He didn’t remember anything further.  “Something’s missing from your story, why would Shuniro be here, then?  That would mean he had somehow been killed.”

“I was getting to that,” he snapped.  “It would appear that my powers were not as strong on Shuniro’s mind as I would have liked – the boy was able to regain some of his consciousness, and I believe that is why the human managed to escape.  At that point, I couldn’t risk it any further – I ordered Shuniro killed.”

“You had your own man killed?” Enraged, Calion wanted to charge at the spirit, but knew he couldn’t.  There was more to this story still.  “You bastard.”

“Just the response I’d expect from someone who doesn’t see the bigger picture.  You see not only did the human escape, he escaped with an item quite valuable to me...I believe you humans refer to it as the Spirital.”

Calion’s jaw dropped.  It couldn’t be.  The source of the Rakurai, where all the energy had been stored and the same item Lucien had been using to gather more energy...it had belonged to this guy?  That must have been the stolen item he was talking about.  “The Spirital...I don’t have such a thing.  I’ve heard of it, but you’re looking in the wrong place...”

“While your fear is evident, so much so that I can taste it,” he said.  “I cannot disagree with you.  I’m well aware of the Spirital’s location, in the hands of Lucien Grasciou, the Spirit currently trying to take control of the human world.”  He stopped talking for a moment, letting the words sink in.  “But Lucien Grasciou is a simple-minded being.  He is nothing but a representation of power – he does not carry it.  Lucien is a pawn in a much bigger plot, a plot I cannot allow to continue.”

“Hold on, if you’re out to stop Lucien, too, aren’t we theoretically on the same side?”  Calion asked.  “After all I’ve been trying to escape this world so I can kill Lucien myself.”

A few moments of silence were followed by a fit of laughter.  “Killing Lucien, I could have done that already.  He is not the real threat; I have allowed him to live so far because I have not wanted to invest the energy in doing so.  As long as the Spirital is in his possession there is no need for me to fear.  And so I manifested myself in Shuniro’s body after I killed him, so that I would be able to go to the human world and retrieve it for myself.  But in doing so, something happened that caused Shuniro to end up here – that was not the plan.”

“You killed him; you must’ve known that was going to happen!”  Calion yelled.  “Especially if you’re as powerful as you say, killing him would’ve had no other result!”

“I’m aware, but the methods of doing so would’ve given me control over his physical form – something I personally have not had for centuries,” Allier said.  “I do not have the capability to manifest in the human world – some spirits do but I have not been so lucky.  But now, having gained control over this body, once I defeat you in this duel and absorb your energy, I will be able to use the piece of the Spirital located here to travel to that world and reclaim what is rightfully mine.”

This guy was crazy.  Even if he did want to kill Lucien and what he was saying was true, if he was allowed into the human world, there’s no telling what kind of danger would stand for the rest of the world – who’s to say he would stop at Lucien in his quest for revenge?  “If Lucien is not the one to fear then tell me, who is?  What is this higher power you’re hinting at?  Who is the one you fear?”

The question sparked rage, as Allier drove his fist into one of the pillars, causing it to crumble instantly.  “I FEAR NO ONE!  Don’t you ever repeat those words again.  It is not a matter of fear, it is a matter of concern – but not for myself, for the Spirital.  You see the one behind this is a man I assume you’re quite familiar with – the human Hayate Ishira.”

---

That name.  He’d sworn to himself he’d never repeat it.  That name belonged to the one person he despised more than anyone else on this planet, or any other.  Even those he was up against now, none of them inspired the hatred that Hayate did.

Hayate Ishira...

While it was true Calion had been born in the Mid-World, it wasn’t long before he found himself on Earth, on this very island.  He was part of a group of three, training under the three warriors who made up the Hyakurai {one thousand thunder claps}.  Hayate Ishira, Hiyoru Tenkai, and Tiraiya Misamoto.  The first three humans with the ability to use Rakurai. 

Even they weren’t aware of how their powers came to be, but in order to improve them, they engaged in rigorous years of training.  After a certain point, they discovered that there were others with these mysterious abilities, and made it their goal to train a group of protégés to watch over the Rakurai as a whole and ensure it didn’t get out of hand.

Calion was a part of the second group.  The first group had consisted of three humans, and to this day he had no idea who they were.  But the others in his group were not really allies – they kept to themselves for the most part.  Hiyoru’s protégé, Kiosuke, had been the sloppiest of the group, his skills were lackluster at best.  And Calion was the only spirit, but it didn’t change the fact that they had begun to grow stronger together. 

One day, when the rogue villages attacked, Kiosuke came to Hiyoru’s aid, taking a shot that would’ve otherwise killed him.  Instead, Kiosuke died, but not before finally proving to his peers that he had finally mastered the skills necessary to be a great warrior.  Of course, Hiyoru’s state of mind was thrown off so badly that he went into hiding for years – in fact Calion had no idea if he’d ever resurfaced.

But with Hiyoru gone from the group, it was just he and Hayate, as wel as Tiraiya and her apprentice.  As expected, things got worse.  They began to drift apart, the original group was no longer the same.  Secretly, Hayate began conducting experiments on a number of humans and spirits alike, testing the power of the Rakurai and what he could do with it to make himself stronger.  Calion had discovered this unintentionally, and had said nothing to let his mentor know that he was aware of the situation.

Until one day, when Hayate proposed to him the idea that he could make him stronger – through what he called “advanced training”.  When Calion resisted, his mentor threatened to take more serious measures.  He agreed, but secretly decided to escape, frightened and disgusted of what the man he’d once put all of his trust into had become.

And after that he had never looked back.  But he knew, before even joining CLEAR, that Hayate’s experiments had continued.  In fact years later he met the spirit Kimora, who had been another victim of Hayate’s testing.  Kimora joined CLEAR and fought as a warrior, but she was killed in battle by Sora and Kenji when this whole thing began.  As sorry as he’d felt for her, he knew that it was too late to save her – she had been affected by Hayate’s power and her life would not have lasted much longer beyond that, anyway.

When CLEAR announced their intentions to grab Rai Valiant and harness the power of the Lightray cards, Calion had begun to doubt himself, unsure if he should allow someone – spirit or not – to be nothing more than a test subject just like all the others.  And secretly, though he had repressed the memories, that was his motivation for fighting all these battles.

For fighting at every cost because his life had been destroyed by the one person he’d once trusted.

---

“I swore to myself that I would never speak of him again,” Calion said, his words cold as ice.  Having to re-live that experience even in his mind had caused the fear to go away – and now he felt nothing but hatred.  “He’s been dead for almost ten years.”

“Tell me Calion, do you really believe that?” Allier asked, and up until the question had been posed, he did believe that.  But why would he say that?  Everyone in the Mid-World had been made aware of Hayate’s death...there was no way he could still be alive.

“Don’t try and fool me,” Calion replied.  “I know he’s dead.”

“Did you ever consider this then, Calion?  If Hayate Ishira is dead, why is he not living here, in the Valley of Souls?”  Allier let the question sink in, but the look in Calion’s eyes told him the point had stuck.  “In fact, when the word got around that he was killed; did anyone bother to question how?  Of course not.  It was but a mere ploy, a plan forged by Hayate himself.  I remember the exact moment; it was at the point of a duel between his latest subject Kimora and Hiyoru Tenkai’s student Kiryu.  Because Hayate had used the Spirital to inject power into her, a part of my spirit had been able to merge with her own, and when she was weak enough, I was able to take over.  But that brat defeated me.”

What...

“You see the Spirital and I are one in the same – because it was my own sacrifice that allowed it to be created!  While Rakai Anden may have discovered Rakurai in the history books, it was I who created it, and because it was stolen from me, he received the credit!”

“Wait a second, it was Rakai Anden who encountered Shuniro in the Mid-World and stole the Spirital?!”

Allier shook his head.  “Of course not, but I could see why you would think so.  The human who managed to reach the Mid-World and obtain the Spirital was the very man you killed, Calion – Allen Valiant.”

“No...it can’t be...” He remembered that duel like it was yesterday.

“Allen wanted to destroy the Spirital so the power couldn’t be used against him – because you see, Allen Valiant was Tiraiya’s first student.  He was part of the original three,” Allier said.  “He knew about Hayate’s testing, but before he was able to tell anyone, he was forced into hiding.  Having taken the Spirital he had become a target.  Not just from me, as I wished to reclaim it, but from Hayate who knew of its power and wanted to use it for himself.  So in truth, while you had distanced yourself from Hayate and returned to the Mid-World, CLEAR manipulated you into killing Allen Valiant and allowing them to obtain the Spirital.  All along Hayate had manipulated you and you were nothing but a pawn.”

Calion dropped to his knees, letting his hands fall to his side.  It couldn’t have been – he was the reason all of this had happened?  He was the reason Lucien had obtained the Spirital?  He had allowed himself to be manipulated into taking the life of the one person who might have understood him, who knew what he knew about Hayate?  Finally the story had come full circle.  But his mind couldn’t process it. He felt his eyes watering, but didn’t know if it was tears, or hatred, fear even.  All this time he believed he was fighting to right the wrongs, but he had already sealed their fate.

“It is time to reclaim what is mine, what was unjustly taken from me,” Allier said.  “And it is because of this that I allowed the tournament to go on as planned – we met once before, Calion.  In your duel with that brat Nikolai.  I had been able to overtake him, but somehow he forced me out of his mind.  I don’t have to worry about such a thing with Shuniro, for you see he is no longer alive.  Having to exist through one of the Number cards was such a pathetic ploy, even the rumored power of those cards holds no candle to my own.  And though you have experienced their might, you lack the strength to use a Number card of your own, which means your chance of defeating me is none!”

The Number cards...That’s right, it was the Acid Golem that had brought him into existence the first time.  Was it the Spirital’s power that created these cards?  Is that why he was able to harness it and bring himself into the human world to take over Nikolai?  If so, did that mean that somehow Calion himself could harness that same power?  “I wouldn’t underestimate my power, Allier.  This duel may be the ultimate battle, but I’m not going to give up, not with everything I’ve learned here.”

“It doesn’t matter whether or not you choose to give up!  For you see Calion, just like the others before you, your power stems directly from Hayate’s!  And I’m afraid that now, that power has run out!  Your Rakurai is artificial, it was injected into you just like all the others.  You too were a test subject, and your power is no more!  You are but a meaningless shell!  Of course you don’t remember this because Hayate used his power to wipe your prior memories, just as I did with Shuniro.  For a human he is very capable, I’ll give him that.  But since you are rendered powerless, once I kill you I’ll be sure to kill him, too.”

No...there’s no way... Calion had no idea what to say.  He couldn’t remember it but Allier was right – his power was gone.  There was no Rakurai left inside him.  He could no longer fight back.  The next attack would kill him.

Welp, you weren't kidding about the length. We have a lot of exposition and interesting reveals in this chapter, many of which are a long time coming. Hearing some backstory on the original three was nice, as well as expanding on Allen's role in the story. I know we've talked about this in the past, but Allen Valiant - and his son, Rai - have taken a bit of a backseat in the narrative so far, and I'm glad to see you're bringing them back in time for the big finish.

Unveiling the Big Bad at this stage of the story was a good move too, I reckon. We've had a few appearances from him already, but it's nice to finally have a name to the face. (Not that I'm a huge fan of the name, but hey, it's not a big deal.) Of course, there's the possible hint of an even bigger bad, with Calion's "Who do you fear?" line, which all in all makes for a very interesting lead-up to the finale.

On another note, I'm glad to see that my concerns about Shuniro were unfounded, and I see what you meant now. Glad how that worked out.

The only thing I wonder about right now is what role the queen will play for the rest of the story. I suspect that she will be crucial in getting Calion out of the Valley of Souls, and possibly get him out of the situation with Allier.

Definitely a very good chapter, one of the best in a while.

I always did hope that Lucien wasn't the Big Bad, because he seemed too... I don't know, stereotypical I guess. It would have been a story where he remains seemingly in control until he duels whoever is still alive at the end, and breaks down as he loses. Boring.

Now, you've gone and thrown a spanner in the metaphorical works in the form of two villains, those being Hayate and Allier. That's a good thing, cause it leaves me with more questions and you with more room to move about.

The exposition was good, a nice chunk of the story explained at once. Normally I object to such things, but honestly, the story had confused me somewhat before, and this cleared a lot of things up. Much appreciated, even if the whole let-me-tell-you-my-plan thing seemed a bit out of place halfway through a duel, especially as one of the characters was just KILLED and then possessed by an evil spirit/demon. Anyway, can't wait to see what he's gonna do for the rest of this duel, considering he might have a different deck, and he denounced the Numbers as being weak, which in my experience is not something to do lightly, unless you are backed by some serious firepower.

Awaiting the next installment with unchallenged anticipation.

Welp, you weren't kidding about the length. We have a lot of exposition and interesting reveals in this chapter, many of which are a long time coming. Hearing some backstory on the original three was nice, as well as expanding on Allen's role in the story. I know we've talked about this in the past, but Allen Valiant - and his son, Rai - have taken a bit of a backseat in the narrative so far, and I'm glad to see you're bringing them back in time for the big finish.

Definitely, and that's been the plan all along.  The exposition was something I had to be very careful with because I didn't want to just make it look like I was unloading information for the sake of convenience, if that makes any sense.  On top of that, though, Allen Valiant and Rai (who many people believed was the Main Character of the story from the moment he was mentioned) are obviously important to the plot but due to the fact that they don't play any significant roles in "getting there" I figured it wasn't really necessary to mention them until this point because it took focus away from what was happening at the time.

Unveiling the Big Bad at this stage of the story was a good move too, I reckon. We've had a few appearances from him already, but it's nice to finally have a name to the face. (Not that I'm a huge fan of the name, but hey, it's not a big deal.) Of course, there's the possible hint of an even bigger bad, with Calion's "Who do you fear?" line, which all in all makes for a very interesting lead-up to the finale.

That was definitely meant to drop hints (or was it?) and create some speculation among readers.  The name is something I was somewhat unsure on, but it sounded like it worked and once we learn more about Allier as a character maybe it'll start to grow on you.  Who knows?

On another note, I'm glad to see that my concerns about Shuniro were unfounded, and I see what you meant now. Glad how that worked out.

Like I said, I wanted to be careful going about it but that's been the plan for Shuniro since his introduction.  And I'm glad it worked, as well.

The only thing I wonder about right now is what role the queen will play for the rest of the story. I suspect that she will be crucial in getting Calion out of the Valley of Souls, and possibly get him out of the situation with Allier.

Definitely a very good chapter, one of the best in a while.

Thanks so much, means a lot!

I can't say what will happen to the Queen but that's really one of the only plot points left to address, other than Kiryu's involvement in the story and his resolution, and (obviously - because I don't consider this a spoiler) the Calion vs. Unos rematch.  From there, it'll be the big finale which will more than likely be a 3-part episode.

Congratulations! This actually makes sense!

Can I just clear something up, though- most of those first episodes, all the way in the beginning, were just there to establish background, right? I'll say this- it was confusing enough how there are still a bunch of stray episodes in the beginning that aren't directly part of the plot. And yes, I will confess, I did think that Rai Valiant was the main character when he was mentioned (it makes sense, right? His dad had just gotten killed, these cards left to him, and the way he was introduced...).

As for the chapter, it seemed long, but was the obviously the most important chapter so far. The only think I don't like about this is the placing. You still need to address Lucien, Unos, Hayate, and the Queen, as well as the rest of CLEAR. Sure, Allier just said that Lucien was nothing in the sight of himself, but that sort of makes everything after this showdown is irrelevant, except maybe destroying CLEAR. But of course, you can't very well destroy CLEAR in the amount of episodes remaining, but then you can't very well leave them completely unresolved for the transition to D-Accel II. Though knowing your writing skills, I think I can assume that it will be wrapped up efficiently.

don't forget I could rest these issues in any number of episodes that I want. there's a reason I've chosen the number of episodes that I have and that is because the story will continuing series 2. with that being said because series 2 is going to be much more focused on the general universe, most of the plot from the first series has to be resolved before it's over. I can guarantee that the plot with the Queen with Lucien and Unos will be resolved vefor OP we call it quits. in regards to your comments regarding the big bad, remember that he's trapped in the valley of souls and cannot escape unless he wins. so should we lose does that mean you'll never see him again? I can't answer that but I can promise you that the last couple of episodes are going to really bring the story together.

and what you said about thinking he was the main character, it was almost meant to be a satire on the way that most fanfiction stories introduce a character. above all else I really just wanted the story to stand out in be different and what that meant making things confusing at first I think it's developed into a really well done story.

at this point the main challenges going to be making the conclusion satisfying enough that you guys are willing to return for the second series

It's crazy how close to the finale we are.  Given the events of the episode, I decided to extend the Valley of Souls Arc by one episode, just so it concludes nicely.  Again, I feel like these last few Episodes have been some of my best work as a writer, so I look forward to seeing the responses.

NEW SEGMENT!

Point-Out-The-Duel-Flaws-Before-Eon-Does: Episode 1!

Just for the record, yes, I'm aware Evilswarm Kerykeion's effect is to banish an "Lswarm", add 1 from Graveyard to hand, and THEN you can gain an additional Normal Summon or Set.  In this particular instance, Allier did pay the proper cost, he just didn't add a monster to his hand because the story suggests that his power "destroyed" the Steelswarms.  Just clearing that up.

D-Accel II Update

It's looking more and more like Accel II is going to be a collab project between Umbra and myself, at least in some respects.  He's hands-down one of the best writers this site has ever seen, and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to work with him.  As I've mentioned before, Accel II will probably launch in mid-to-late April.  I don't want to wait too much time in between because people can lose interest and it's best to 'strike while the iron is hot', so-to-speak.

[spoiler=Episode 69: The Power of Heritage]

The Number cards...That’s right, it was the Acid Golem that had brought him into existence the first time.  Was it the Spirital’s power that created these cards?  Is that why he was able to harness it and bring himself into the human world to take over Nikolai?  If so, did that mean that somehow Calion himself could harness that same power?  “I wouldn’t underestimate my power, Allier.  This duel may be the ultimate battle, but I’m not going to give up, not with everything I’ve learned here.”

“It doesn’t matter whether or not you choose to give up!  For you see Calion, just like the others before you, your power stems directly from Hayate’s!  And I’m afraid that now, that power has run out!  Your Rakurai is artificial, it was injected into you just like all the others.  You too were a test subject, and your power is no more!  You are but a meaningless shell!  Of course you don’t remember this because Hayate used his power to wipe your prior memories, just as I did with Shuniro.  For a human he is very capable, I’ll give him that.  But since you are rendered powerless, once I kill you I’ll be sure to kill him, too.”

No...there’s no way... Calion had no idea what to say.  He couldn’t remember it but Allier was right – his power was gone.  There was no Rakurai left inside him.  He could no longer fight back.  The next attack would kill him.

Episode 69: The Power of Heritage

“It is time to get back to the duel,” Allier said, revealing a card from his hand despite it still being Calion’s turn.  “We have stalled long enough, and I feel comfortable killing you now that you’ve realized how much of the problem you’ve truly caused.  What better way to start than this, with the Spell Card Nightmare Infestation!”

“Hold on, it’s still my turn,” Calion said through shaky emotions.  He was losing it, but he still knew enough.  “You can’t activate a Spell Card during my turn, it’s completely against the rules!”

Allier returned the comment with a smile.  “Indeed under normal circumstances it is, but alas my boy this is not a normal circumstance.  You see the Spell Card Nightmare Infestation can be activated during either of our turns, so long as a “Swarm” monster has occupied the field at one point during it.  And once Nightmare Infestation takes effect, I’m allowed to shuffle my Deck and draw two brand new cards.”

[spoiler=Nightmare Infestation]

Quick-Play Spell Card

You can activate this card (from your hand) during either player’s turn, as long as you controlled an “Lswarm” monster before activation.  When you do: Shuffle your Deck; then draw 2 cards.  You can only activate 1 “Nightmare Infestation” per turn.[/spoiler]

Shuffling his Deck, Allier did just as the card required, adding two new cards to his hand.  Interestingly enough, they were just the ones he needed to begin the end of this duel.  “I have no need for the weak monsters used by Shuniro – it always was his greatest weakness.  His refusal to truly embrace the darkness prevented him from ever reaching his full potential.  But with my power, I’d never dream of doing otherwise.  It’s time for you to experience what true power is.”

So that’s why he did it...Calion had put it together all too late, Allier wasn’t using the same cards – somehow his powers had allowed him to implement his own cards into the equation, which meant Steelswarms were apparently no more.  I’m not going to be able to survive another attack.  At least not if it hits me directly.  But I can’t afford to lose, not when I know everything that I do now.  I will not allow Hayate Ishira the satisfaction of killing those close to me.  Even if I can no longer use the power of the Rakurai, I can still duel – and that’s more than enough.  “I’ll end my turn with two face-down cards.  Let’s see what you’re made of, Allier.”

“Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it!”  He drew a card, adding it to his hand and bringing his total hand count to 4.  That was more than enough.  “Witness my might; I call forth the warrior of eternal darkness, Evilswarm Kerykeion (1600)!”

The nightmarish warrior took to the field, wielding a twisted golden staff, vaguely resembling a strand of DNA.  In its right hand was another, although at the point of this one was a mirror, though it looked to be shattered.  The markings that covered Shuniro’s body were also present here.

Evilswarms...That must have been what Allier meant when he said his powers allowed him to bring forth all new cards – he was twisting and turning the Steelswarm monsters into soul-less creatures devoid of anything but hatred.  The combination of evil and fear was almost overwhelming.

“Now it’s time, you asked to see what I am made of, and you are seeing the very representation of that in front of your eyes!  Go, Evilswarm Kerykeion, and activate your special ability now!”  The tip of the warrior’s staff was charged as it drew in darkness, and for a moment Calion could see the vague resemblance of ‘Steelswarm Cell’, the first monster Shuniro had played.

“Kerykeion’s strength allows me to banish an ‘Lswarm’ monster from my Graveyard, and if I do so during this turn, I’m allowed to summon to the field an additional ‘Lswarm’ monster!  So come forth, Evilswarm Castor (1750)!”  The giant warlock clad in shredded robes and blackened armor appeared on the field alongside Kerykeion.

Suddenly, Calion could sense a far more sinister presence.

“Finally, after all this time, my power will be on full display!”  Allier roared, placing the two monsters on top of one another.  “I overlay Level 4 Evilswarm Kerykeion and Level 4 Evilswarm Castor to Xyz Summon, Evilswarm Ophion (2500)!”

The power level was too great – it blew Calion back, he couldn’t get himself to stand in time.  From a portal that opened at Allier’s feet, the hellish, griffin-esque creature arose, it’s steel-coated wings almost as sharp as the talons on its feet.  It let out a roar so vicarious that another one of the pillars began to crumble.

“I can see the fear in your eyes, Calion.  You know you are to blame for all of this, it is because of you that all of these lives have been lost.  I am not the evil here, you are.”  The words struck his mind directly – Allier was right.  This was all his fault.  Nikolai and Sora, both of them were gone because he had these broken ideals.  And even Shuniro.  It was his attack on Shuniro that allowed Allier to take over. 

“It’s all my fault...”  All along I allowed myself to be manipulated and used like a tool, and I had no control over it, I was oblivious to it all.  I convinced them all to trust me; they risked their lives for me, and for what?  Now I’m going to fail them all, all of those lives, all of those innocent people are now going to die because of me!

“Indeed it is,” Allier replied calmly.  “But you can fix it, you can redeem yourself.  Simply surrender this duel to me and offer your own life as payment for the sacrifices they made for you.  You bring nothing but pain and misery in your path; you will only get more of them killed.  Don’t worry, either.  I’ll kill Hayate, just as I’ll kill all the others who have associated with him.”

“I can’t...”  Calion tried to find the words.  “I can’t give up and abandon them, they’re still fighting...they all need me to pull through now more than ever.”

“So naïve, once again.”  Allier shook his head, smiling.  “Your friends are no more.  They’ve all been beaten by the one you called Unos -  your failure allowed him to live unharmed, and with his newfound powers, he was able to defeat them all of his own free will.”

No...it can’t be!  His eyes wide, Calion felt himself trembling.  It’s all because of me...they’re all...  He didn’t want to believe it, he couldn’t say it.  “I don’t deserve to live any longer.  I don’t want to be here.”  Raising his right hand, still shaky, he placed it on top of his Deck.  “For all of my failures...Allier, I...”

Among the sounds of disappointment and sadness, regret, even, he heard a feint buzzing sound.  What was it...?  Allier’s face was brimming with satisfaction, this duel...it was...

“Go, Hydro Tidal Stream!”

It was at the same time that the sound resonated with his ears that the stone structure comprising the palace wall was annihilated in seconds through a forceful attack.  At first it was fuzzy, but he saw it alright – perhaps the last person he’d expected to see.  Nikolai Marchev.  But he wasn’t alone – hundreds of people stood behind him, all the villagers from outside the Palace Gates...they had all gathered together.

And most incredibly, hovering by Nikolai’s side was a real-life, eight-foot tall version of his most powerful Xyz Monster, Bahamut Shark.  Somehow, he’d brought it to life; undoubtedly it was the Shark which had been able to break the walls down.  But why?  Why would they risk their lives to save him?  It was too late at this point.

“Cut me some slack,” the Russian boy said, his thick accent not so recognizable over all the commotion.  Allier’s eyes met his and the dark spirit returned a gaze of hatred.  He had come so close to getting Calion to surrender, and now this?  “I would’ve been here a bit sooner, but we didn’t know what was going on until just a little while ago.”

“I don’t understand!” An outraged Allier cried.  “How could you have gotten in here, how could you have gotten through the Gates unharmed!  The armies were stationed at every point!”

Nikolai shook his head, waving his hand as Bahamut Shark lowered itself.  “That one’s easy.  See, the Chaos Organization has been trying to take down the Queen for years, only to fail each and every time.  Come to find out it wasn’t her who was truly behind all of this, it was you.  But, in a stunning twist you may not have noticed, this entire palace is lined with cameras.  A year-long project that involved a few sacrifices of great warriors, but their sacrifice has not gone in vain, as this has finally paid off.”

“Damnit, damn you!  And to think I had him so close,” Allier chuckled.  “Calion, even with these weaklings here you must know you stand no chance.  Go ahead and surrender, continue as planned.”

“I...I don’t know what I should do...”

“Well, it looks like you’re the truly pathetic one after all, doesn’t it, Calion?”  Stunned, the spirit looked towards Nikolai, who’d stepped into the palace through all the rubble.  There was a strong passion in his eyes.  “When you and I dueled, you threw every insult in the book at me, because that’s just your style.  Little did I know that it wasn’t just arrogance – you’re really that good.  I was blind, my only goal was winning at any cost and because of that I didn’t realize what it meant to fight for something.  But see, you were different.  Underneath the bravado you were fighting for something extremely important to you – and it was because of your determination that I was able to break free of Allier’s grip and make sure the duel ended fairly.  You were the better man on that day, and the better duelist.  I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been here, and I hope when all is said and done I’ll have the opportunity to do that, but I guess it’s not going to happen, because apparently everyone’s sacrifices mean nothing to you!”

“It’s not that...” Calion said.  “Think about it, everything he’s said, it’s all true.  In my quest to find my purpose and right the wrongs, all I was doing was creating the problems in the first place.  It’s my fault they’re all dead, and now there’s nothing I can do about it.  Why go on if there’s no hope?”

He was half standing, but frozen in place as Nikolai walked towards him.  The two stood in silence for a moment, with Allier watching the proceedings with curiosity and anger.  In a flash, Nikolai slapped Calion right across the face, knocking him to the ground.  Calion’s shock was outdone only by that of Allier himself, who had no idea what to make of what he’d seen.

“The Calion I know wouldn’t need me to say this, but you’re listening to the wrong guy,” Nikolai said.   “He’s manipulating you, because he knows you’re in a weak state.  But I’ve got news for you; your friends are alive and well.”

They...what?!  Calion sat up, staring.

“Or source in the human world has confirmed it – there’s been a bit of a stalemate but all of them, Xiael, Calle, and the one known as Kiryu, they’ve all gotten together, they’re safe and sound – for now.”

“Kiryu...you mean the one who...”

Nikolai nodded his head.

“And, on top of that, Calle’s fight led him to tap into the power of D-Accel, whatever that is.  I’m told he achieved something called the D-Stage, merging with the spirit they call Tres.”

D-Accel?  That’s the...sounds like I’ve been missing a lot.

“What’s this?  Some kind of power?”  Allier asked aloud.

“Calion if you want to give up and die like the pathetic duelist you’re pretending to be then fine, but everyone is counting on you.  Stop wallowing in your self-pity and become the hero you’re destined to be!”

“Enough, no more of this!”  Allier screamed.  “I’ll kill the both of you right now!  Evilswarm Ophion, attack his Lightning Chidori with Darkstream Blast!”  The creature fired a blast headed directly for Nikolai.  And yet he stood strong, refusing to move out of the way.  Calion looked – he knew he had to stand.  Otherwise the attack would...

“This is the end for you!  Even if this isn’t the Life-Point ending attack, you won’t be able to survive, and that will be enough for me!”

The villagers were crying out, yelling for Nikolai to move out of the way, that it was a lost cause, and they should get to safety while they could – but the duelist refused.  Calion looked down...his Deck Box...it was glowing.  Inside was a card, blank, but he placed his hand on it, and suddenly...

However, when the darkness lifted, Allier was stunned by the revelation.  Calion stood, he’d pushed Nikolai out of the way and taken the full impact of the blast.  But instead of being killed instantly, he’d...grown stronger.  There was visible energy surrounding him now, growing exponentially.

Calion’s Life Points: 150

“What is this?!  This cannot be!  How are you still alive?!”  He continued to scream, his sentences jumbled and having no real meaning – the attack should have killed him.  His Rakurai had been depleted, all of it.  This was truly impossible.  “What is the meaning of this?!”

“That’s enough out of you, Allier.  I’ve heard more than enough of your incessant rambling,” he said.  “Hey Nikolai, I owe you one. Actually, consider us even for me saving your ass back there.”  Calion flashed a friendly smile – and strangely it didn’t seem out of place.  “Truthfully, I don’t know where this replenished energy is coming from, but what’s that old saying?  Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth?  It doesn’t matter really, because all you are is an illusion.  Here in the Valley of Souls, you’re not truly strong, you’re just able to pretend you are.  Whereas the bonds I’ve formed with those who matter to me are stronger than you could ever hope to comprehend!”

“This is all nonsense, all of it!”  Allier exclaimed.  “Just moments ago you were about to quit!”

“You’re right I was,” Calion said, shaking his head.  “And how stupid it was.  But now it really doesn’t matter, does it?  Because I’ve discovered the key to the answer I’ve been searching for since I got here.  I’ll be honest and say I don’t get this concept, but I’m going to use the strength I’ve been given to take you down!  I activate the Spell Card Advanced Heraldry Art!”  Two portals opened up at his feet, bringing forth both Heraldic Beast Aberconway he’d sent to his Graveyard earlier.  “With this, I’m able to build the Overlay Network, and Xyz Summon a monster instantly!  So check this out!”

“You’re bluffing, no monster Xyz or not is strong enough to take down my Ophion!”

“Hey Nikolai, you said something about badass?  Or did I just translate it that way?”  He looked to the boy, who was almost mesmerized by what was going on.  “Either way, if you felt like that before, I can’t wait to see what you think of this!  Xyz Summon Number 8: Heraldic King Genom-Heritage (2400)!”

Exploding onto the field, the monster began a sphere and unfolded, landing on the ground on four legs, with long blonde locks flowing outwards. Dressed in a weird, almost rainbow colored veil, the stallion took to the field. 

“It’s a Number Monster!” Both Allier and Nikolai exclaimed at the same time.

This cannot be, somehow he was able to tap into the power of the Number Monsters, those damned things!  They’ve cost me for the second time now!  Outraged, Allier held strong.  To think I had him so close, so close to surrendering.  I was so close to being able to reclaim the power that I’ve so long awaited, and now it’s all gone!

Sora...Kenji...Calle...Xiael...and all the others.  I’m sorry I strayed away from myself.  I’m sorry I failed.  But this time, that won’t be the case.  “Because no matter what I won’t give up!  Heraldic King, show me what makes the Numbers so strong!  Activate your ability, Genome Shuffle!”  Absorbing one of its own overlay units, the monster blasted Ophion with a beam of sorts, rendering it useless.  “With Heraldic King Genom-Heritage’s special effect, your Ophion’s attack points become 0, and its effects negated!  And then, Heritage gets attack points equal to yours!  It doesn’t take a genius to explain what happens next then, Allier!  It’s game over!  Go, Heraldic Shining Strike!”

Allier’s LP: 0

---

Breathing heavily, Calion fell to the ground.  His body had collapsed from exhaustion, but he’d won the duel.  Across the field, Allier had done the same.  The black marks had begun to fade from Shuniro’s body, suggesting the evil spirit was gone.

Nikolai smiled, rushing to Calion’s side as the people from outside began to pour into the palace, cheers galore.  The evil had finally been defeated – the Valley of Souls could be at peace once again.

And that just left Lucien and the others.

---

I can’t believe I’ve failed...this isn’t the first time those damn cards have cost me...I cannot allow it to end like this, all this time I’ve spent waiting, I will not let it go!

“...This is not over yet.”

I can't believe I've corrected you enough to warrant an entire section before the story. Well, maybe. I might have pointed out the Kerykeion thing, if I didn't think he'd added a card, but it's cool. You explained and that's enough for me. You said Ophion's ATK was 2500, but the math(s) is right so no marks dropped there. I might complain about the custom spell, but at this point I'm tired and don't really care enough to bother you about a device that you needed to restart the plays.

I love Evilswarm. They are a deck I'm planning on making (at least as soon as I can buy a box of Hidden Arsenal 7), so I know most of the effects. I feel that that's not the last we'll see of them, seeing as you used only 1 of the monsters, 1 of the Xyz, and none of those goddamn annoying Infestation cards. This is a good thing.

Oh, and the people are rejoicing, but isn't the Queen still in there?

PS: Crazy Russian slapping Calion made my day. :D

Dude, he only had 900 Life Points left. Wattpheasant could beat him. Seriously, it's not like Calion needed that Number. Heroic Champion Excalibur would have worked, as would other cards. I suppose I'm just trying to say that the villain's giving his cards too much credit. It's all, "There's no way you can beat my monster! ...Unless you summon Gem-Knight Pearl... or maybe played Fissure... or just avoided it all with Rapid Warrior or Magic Cylinder..."

Then Calion has to go out of his way with a card that doesn't actually exist?

I can't believe I've corrected you enough to warrant an entire section before the story. Well, maybe. I might have pointed out the Kerykeion thing, if I didn't think he'd added a card, but it's cool. You explained and that's enough for me. You said Ophion's ATK was 2500, but the math(s) is right so no marks dropped there. I might complain about the custom spell, but at this point I'm tired and don't really care enough to bother you about a device that you needed to restart the plays.

I know it's 2550, and I meant to have it at 2550.  Must've been a typo on my end.

I love Evilswarm. They are a deck I'm planning on making (at least as soon as I can buy a box of Hidden Arsenal 7), so I know most of the effects. I feel that that's not the last we'll see of them, seeing as you used only 1 of the monsters, 1 of the Xyz, and none of those goddamn annoying Infestation cards. This is a good thing.

Oh, and the people are rejoicing, but isn't the Queen still in there?

PS: Crazy Russian slapping Calion made my day. :D

The Queen is still there - that's going to be resolved in Episode 70.  There's six  Episodes left at this point.  Whether or not we'll see more Evilswarms - I can't promise anything one way or another but in Accel II it's a good possibility.

Dude, he only had 900 Life Points left. Wattpheasant could beat him. Seriously, it's not like Calion needed that Number. Heroic Champion Excalibur would have worked, as would other cards. I suppose I'm just trying to say that the villain's giving his cards too much credit. It's all, "There's no way you can beat my monster! ...Unless you summon Gem-Knight Pearl... or maybe played Fissure... or just avoided it all with Rapid Warrior or Magic Cylinder..."

Then Calion has to go out of his way with a card that doesn't actually exist?

Sure, I could've gone that route, but the same could be said for any story, or duel for that matter.  Calion needs the Number in order to be able to combat Unos' Number 9: Dyson Sphere; this was the way that he brought out it's power.  If not here, it would've been another way.  Besides, Kiryu uses Excalibur and Pearl would've only done like 50 damage to Ophion, at which point Allier still had a variety of plays left.

This was just a way to introduce Heraldic King.

And with that, we've got 5 episodes left until the Series conclusion.  Any questions? :P

[spoiler=Episode 70: The Final Clash - It's all on the Line!]Breathing heavily, Calion fell to the ground.  His body had collapsed from exhaustion, but he’d won the duel.  Across the field, Allier had done the same.  The black marks had begun to fade from Shuniro’s body, suggesting the evil spirit was gone.

Nikolai smiled, rushing to Calion’s side as the people from outside began to pour into the palace, cheers galore.  The evil had finally been defeated – the Valley of Souls could be at peace once again.

And that just left Lucien and the others.

---

I can’t believe I’ve failed...this isn’t the first time those damn cards have cost me...I cannot allow it to end like this, all this time I’ve spent waiting, I will not let it go!

“...This is not over yet.”

Episode 70: The Final Clash – It’s all on the Line!

“You better not die on me now,” Nikolai said, hurriedly rushing to Calion’s side as the spirit tried to stand, suffering from internal bleeding as a result of the poison which had only now ceased to pain him.  He’d dodged a bullet; if the duel had continued any longer, surely his body wouldn’t have been able to fight off the virus in time. “You did it, you’ve beaten him.”

As the young Russian duelist tried to reassure Calion, making sure he was actually all-there as his eyes suggested otherwise, the crowd of villagers standing outside the pile of rubble which had once been the palace walls rushed into the room with excitement, people screaming and clapping their hands, celebrating Calion’s efforts.  Young and old people alike cheered for the duelist, but Calion’s facial expression as he returned to reality was not one of celebration.

Nikolai was the first and only one to notice, and trying to keep the spirits of the people high, he quietly asked the spirit.  “What’s the matter?  You’ve won.  Allier’s gone, yet I can see in your eyes that your concern is not.”

Ignoring Nikolai’s comments, Calion stood up, brushing the dirt off his pants.  He inhaled, taking in a deep breath, his eyes focused on the golden doors at the end of the hall.  “It’s her.  The Queen.  She’s still alive, and she’s still in there – I can sense it.  Even if Allier was the reason behind the darkness that has spread throughout this world, she’s still the one in control of the Spirital, which is the only way to leave this place.  Unfortunately, I don’t have the strength left to even stand, never-mind do battle with a completely fresh enemy.”

He’s right.  In all the excitement, the fact that the Queen was still there had slipped Nikolai’s mind.  He’d become swept away by the joy and the happiness of the townspeople that he’d ignored a very real problem.  What are we going to do?  How do we get to the Spirital without letting the townspeople know they’re still in danger?  Damnit.

“At this point, what other option do I have?”  Calion asked.  “The key to getting back to Earth is less than twenty feet away from me.  I’m going to get the Spirital and return home.  With everyone.”

“You know that’s not possible,” Nikolai replied in a hushed tone, not wanting the others to hear.  “There’s no way that the Spirital can be used to do that.  Only you can leave here.”

Calion’s eyes were filled with tears, and Nikolai hadn’t noticed it at first.  All of them.  He’d have to leave all of them here, knowingly, and only he could escape.  Everything he had been fighting against, everything he had been fighting to protect – he had to allow the innocent people to suffer one last time. It was the only way, and he’d already come to terms with it, but not without growing to hate himself in the process.  “I’m aware.  I don’t deserve to leave here, truthfully I don’t.  But I will do what I have to do so that the sacrifice of those up to this point will not go to waste.  I will defeat Lucien, and Hayate, and save everyone.  I promise.”  A teardrop struck the floor, creating a tsunami of emotion.  So small no one could see it, but he knew it was there.

“You will not...be saving ANYONE!”  In a moment, Allier’s booming voice returned, with more emphasis then before.  As he called out, the villagers were overcome with fright, many of them running into one another trying to escape to the outside.   Meanwhile, Calion kept his cool and looked around the room – where was the voice coming from specifically?  Shuniro’s body was still face-down on the ground, and it had been nearly destroyed by the final attack so there wasn’t much reason to believe Allier would actually be able to use it as an outlet.  “I will not be killed by such a weak-minded soul!!”

The fragments that made up the virus which had covered Shuniro’s body began to collect themselves in a typhoon, coming together in the middle of the palace, with an incredible force that continued to destroy the already-weakening hallway structure.  In time, they had formed the outline of a human body, with no visible distinction outside of a pair of yellow eyes.  Was this Allier’s release form?  It had to be.  “Yes, you do not have the power to defeat me; I can’t believe you would be so naïve!”  He said amongst laughter.

“I may not have the strength left to kill you, but I do have the power to destroy the only means you have of escaping this world!” He exclaimed.  “And once the Spirital is destroyed, I can release its power and fully recover!  I don’t need you anymore; I’ll do it the unconventional way!”

“What are we gonna do?!”  Nikolai looked to Calion for answers, concerned for the worried townspeople.  “He’s gonna get to the Spirital before we can!”

But Calion had a thought.  The Number.  He reached around in his Deckbox, opening the flap and pulling it out.  But when he looked – it was merely a blank card.  ‘Heraldic King’ had disappeared.  What convenient timing.  Rolling his eyes, Calion reached around in his mind, calling out to the beast.  Come on, I know you’re somewhere.  I know you can hear this, Number 08, I call upon you!  Lend me your power!

Everything went black for a moment, and the beast appeared before him, but only in his head – the others could not see him.  Calion was surprised by how quickly the call had been answered, but the King did not move.

You’re here.  I’m not sure if you can speak, but you must have heard my calls through mind-speak. Calion waited for a response.

Of course I can speak, what kind of simple-minded creature do you take me for? The response was unexpected, as was the creature’s somewhat English accent.  It threw Calion off for a second, but he got it together.  He’d worry about the specifics later.  I heard your cries, and I have come to inform you that I cannot help you here.  Well, I shouldn’t say that.  I suppose I have the power to, but I lack the desire.  I’ve already saved you once, I don’t see the need to go ahead and do it again.

What the hell kind of joke was he playing?  This was a life or death situation, and this thing was just going to act like it was some sort of game?  What the hell are you talking about?  There’s lives on the line here!  If we don’t get the Spirital before Allier destroys it, everyone’s going to be killed!  You’re going to just sit here and allow that?  If that’s the case, then why did you help me in the first place?!  Why show up just to stand by idly and watch us all die?!

Listen, boy.  I’ve been there to save you more than once.  Do you remember your duel with Unos, the one back in the Human World?  And I’ve gone out of my way to save your friends as well.  In fact, I am the reason that Calle Anden is still alive and well.  So do not take my services for granted.  Those who wield the power of a Number must be able to prove their worth – and based on what I’ve seen, you might be nothing more than a fluke.

The duel with Unos?  Now he remembered.  That voice that had come to him just as he was about to give up and gave him the confidence to get back in the fight – that was Number 08?  Calle, too?  So the Number had already saved them three times.  But man if he couldn’t use its help here.  It was the only way to stop Allier.  I’m thankful for your help, for protecting my friends as well, but all of it, it will all go to waste now if I can’t save them.  I don’t have any Rakurai left, there’s nothing I can do – how do you expect me to match his power?

You’ve become so naïve, Allier was right about that.  When I first discovered your existence, you were so brash, so arrogant, and yet inside your heart you always knew to do the right thing.  Now, while your goals are ideal, you lack the strength to push yourself forward and do what you have to do.  You’re so quick to believe the worst because you doubt that you have the strength to change it.  Calion, while it’s true that you were once used as a test subject for Hayate’s means, the source of your power comes from within you, NOT from him.  Allier was not telling the whole truth – you DO have Rakurai inside of you.  Even in a place like this.  Maybe you’re weakened, indeed, but if you dig deep enough you can find that power and bring it to the surface.  It’s up to you to discover how to unlock it.  I’ve done all I wish to do.

But wait!  He was too late – the King had vanished.  And Allier had finally finished recollecting himself.  From his hands he fired blasts of dark energy at the golden doors, warping them until they were no longer recognizable – revealing the throne room.  But all of the lights were off – it was dark and the room was empty.  While it was dark in size, both Allier and Calion could sense that there wasn’t a single trace of life inside – the Queen, where had she gone?

“So the girl has retreated then?!  No matter, I will annihilate every ounce of this world if I must until I find her, and my precious item!  Unless, what’s this...”  Allier entered the room, noticing something the others hadn’t.  The Spirital – it was still there.  On a small marble table to the side of the Queen’s throne, the small sphere sat, untouched, the visible red energy swirling throughout it.

Calion and Nikolai could see it too.  They were too far away.  “This is the end!”  Allier annihilated it in one blast, but upon doing so, nothing but a smokescreen was released.  “This can’t be, it’s a fake!”

That’s when Calion had noticed it – disguised as one of the villagers, a young girl with crimson-red hair revealed a small item in her left hand.  She...it can’t be!  It’s the girl from the human world!  Scarlet, the one Xiael talked about!  She’s the...

The girl said nothing, but it didn’t take long for Allier to notice her presence.  “You’ve chosen to reveal yourself so carelessly!  What a fool!  I hope your little act of bravery was well worth it, because now I’m going to kill you!”

“Calion, catch!” Was all she said, hurling the small spherical orb in Calion’s direction.  He jumped up to catch it, barely doing so before it touched the ground. 

“Damnit, girl, you’ll pay for that!  You’ll all pay!”

“If you’re going to escape, do it now!” The Queen said, her voice demanding, but laced with sincerity.

Holding it tightly in his hands, if he was going to leave, he had to do it now...but Allier would kill her and Nikolai, and all the others.  There had to be another way to escape...if he had the true Rakurai inside of him, like Number 08 said, then...he had to take the risk!  He couldn’t allow Allier to kill them – not on his watch.  And right before everyone’s eyes, he smashed the spirital on the concrete.  All at once, a massive wave of energy exploded from it, illuminating everything in red.  And that’s when he jumped in.

---

He didn’t know what was going on, or where he was.  But he felt his body begin to heal, all of his internal organs being restored, his wounds closing, and the Rakurai inside of him returned to the way it had been before – only stronger.  It was flowing through him at crazy rates, he could barely contain it.  Along his arms, silver plated armor formed, as if from the Rakurai itself, resembling a pair of eagle’s wings, coated with blue on the ends.

The same plates covered his arms and his chest – it was like a suit of armor constructed from the Rakurai itself – it felt like steel but the ability to generate something like that out of thin air – that couldn’t have been possible.  Gloves, too, on his hands, with pointed spikes raised at each knuckle and emblazoned with the blue and silver design.  The sword at his waist, the Crimson Thunderblade, he found it in his hands, although its holster had changed color, becoming vibrant silver, and the ends extended to resemble the same wing-style that made up his armor. 

This must be...the power of D-Accel.

“What happened to him?!”  Nikolai said aloud, rhetorically.  Calion stood before them all now, the shock of him shattering the Spirital had soon been forgotten.  Allier’s eyes were filled with fear – breaking the Spirital shouldn’t have had this kind of effect.

“Scarlet, is it?  I don’t know the reasons behind all of this, but I know your actions were influenced by Allier, and that’s enough for me to be willing to forgive you, as I’m sure these people will too.”  Calion raised his sword.  “Allier, I thought the first time I beat you would’ve been enough, but I guess not, so if that’s the case, let’s see if the second time is the charm.  You see I destroyed the Spirital, which means your only method of existing in this world is no more.  But just for the sake of finishing you off, because I don’t know what you’ve got left in you, I’m gonna try out this new power.”

I don’t believe it, he couldn’t have achieved the power of D-Accel!  He’s a Spirit, only human-Spirit partnerships can reach that level!  What kind of person is he?!

“{D-Stage: Wings of the Fallen Eagle}!”  Holding his sword outright, it began to expand, taking on an almost crossbow like formation, the blade itself.  Illuminated by light, it fired, letting out a soaring roar as it flew across the room. Allier fired blast after blast trying to repel it, but the eagle-blade slashed right through it, eventually reaching its target.  And there was nowhere for the evil spirit to go. 

“No, you bastard!”  Allier cried out as he felt himself beginning to disintegrate.  “This cannot be!”

“Now leave this world for good!”

---

“Calion...you did it!” Nikolai exclaimed, prompting cheers once again.  Scarlet bowed her head in respect, ashamed of her prior actions.  He could tell there was good in her eyes.

He said nothing, simply stared at Scarlet as he lowered his sword.  “Looks like we’ve got some talking to do, huh?  But now’s not the time for that.  I’ve got to save the world first.  Then we’ll figure out a way to handle your careless decisions.” 

Nikolai could’ve sworn Calion flashed a smile as he said those words, trying to keep his composure.

“But the Spirital, it’s...it’s gone!”  Nikolai exclaimed.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got a way out.  While I’m in this state, my sword can open a portal between the two worlds.  It’s a very limited time-frame, but enough that I can make it there in time to fight the final fight.  But don’t worry, cause once I figure it out, I’m gonna come back, and Nikolai, we’re gonna duel.”

The Russian grinned, feeling a burning itch to have a chance to take his newfound rival down.  “I look forward to it.  But there’s something you should take with you,” he said.  Reaching in his pocket, he pulled out a card, and handed it to Calion face-down.  “I think it might come in handy.  And after everything we’ve gone through, you better not lose before I get the chance to beat you.  Now go, Calion.  We’ve got things under control here – get back to the human world and put an end to Lucien once and for all!”

Calion nodded.  And with that he was off.

Archived