[LOCK PLEASE] [The Final Episode] Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel: Episode 74/75: The Ultimate End Game

Synchronized

OK, I get it, a Rank 9 is hard to pull off, but is anyone going to use something other than Tannhauser Gate to get it out? It's almost cliched now. No offense to the story.

Of course the old switcheroo shocked me, cause I hardly ever predict the end of duels, but don't you think that it seems that Calion would have been a bit stupid to count Unos out with, what, 4 cards left in his hand, even with a (practically) empty field? That said, props for winning the duel in style. Seriously. Dyson Sphere is by far the coolest monster the anime has ever churned out, but heck, that's my opinion, and looking at my picture and sig, I might be just a little biased.

Also, was Nikolai the voice in Calion's head the whole time? It seemed like the voice was someone else. Not sure who, just didn't sound like an angry Russian when I read it ;P

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I get it, a Rank 9 is hard to pull off, but is anyone going to use something other than Tannhauser Gate to get it out? It's almost cliched now. No offense to the story.

I'm not sure, but I pride myself in being the first person ever to use the idea of using Tannhauser Gate as a way of bringing out Dyson Sphere.  #YayforOriginality

Of course the old switcheroo shocked me, cause I hardly ever predict the end of duels, but don't you think that it seems that Calion would have been a bit stupid to count Unos out with, what, 4 cards left in his hand, even with a (practically) empty field? That said, props for winning the duel in style. Seriously. Dyson Sphere is by far the coolest monster the anime has ever churned out, but heck, that's my opinion, and looking at my picture and sig, I might be just a little biased.

Think about it, though.  Calion just got his confidence back and pulled off a huge move.  Realistically, if Unos had brought out any monster(s) other than Bear, there would've been no way to get around Disigma.  That being said, it was only logical that he was aware of Unos' play and had his own strategy to win next turn.  Given how powerful Numbers are portrayed to be here in the story, it only makes sense that once a Number was brought out, it was game over for Calion.

Also, was Nikolai the voice in Calion's head the whole time? It seemed like the voice was someone else. Not sure who, just didn't sound like an angry Russian when I read it ;P

No sir, not at all.  Although I can't reveal who that is and I enjoy watching people try and guess.  The person/Spirit (whichever it was) that spoke to Calle was the same one that spoke to Calion.

There goes Calion. For a moment there, I thought that the story was going to fall into the hands of the new characters and Kiryu, leaving nothing to say for the first arc. At all.

Luckily, the Valley of the Souls happens to have a magical machine that links the spirit world to Earth. ...Except only one person can use it. Realistically, though, don't you think somebody else would have done it first? I mean, if I was trapped in a dimension with a bunch of other near-dead people, I think I'd try to bust out ASAP. Chances are, somebody else there IS going to want to get out of there as badly as I would, not stopping to consider who's the most fit to go back and save everybody else. People don't usually think about those things. Actually, some people don't like to think at all.

There goes Calion. For a moment there, I thought that the story was going to fall into the hands of the new characters and Kiryu, leaving nothing to say for the first arc. At all.

Of course not, the story is about Calion, after all.  I had to build some suspense after all, and the Main Character can't win every duel.

Luckily, the Valley of the Souls happens to have a magical machine that links the spirit world to Earth. ...Except only one person can use it. Realistically, though, don't you think somebody else would have done it first? I mean, if I was trapped in a dimension with a bunch of other near-dead people, I think I'd try to bust out ASAP. Chances are, somebody else there IS going to want to get out of there as badly as I would, not stopping to consider who's the most fit to go back and save everybody else. People don't usually think about those things. Actually, some people don't like to think at all.

It's easier said than done, for reasons not yet explained.  In what might be a bit of a spoiler, the Valley of Souls has been taken over by an evil force, hence the reason the Spirits are unable to rest in peace.  Obviously, this force rules the place because it chooses to, but it's also not going to let anyone else escape.  That's the point of the structure/Gate, only the people in power can get in there, where the rest of the Spirits are trapped on the outside.

Of course not, the story is about Calion, after all.  I had to build some suspense after all, and the Main Character can't win every duel.

Wait, what? I thought it was about Sora and Kenji, then later decided it was just a general plot about taking down CLEAR and preserving the Rakurai, kind of like Star Wars focuses on a group of characters trying to bring balance to the force.

You have your Bleach references and I have my Star Wars ones.

Wait, what? I thought it was about Sora and Kenji, then later decided it was just a general plot about taking down CLEAR and preserving the Rakurai, kind of like Star Wars focuses on a group of characters trying to bring balance to the force.

You have your Bleach references and I have my Star Wars ones.

No, since the beginning of the series it's been about Calion.  It's just been the way I went about it; the 1st Series' characters are heavy influences on Calion's character, so the early focus was on them because you had to get to know them in order to understand the effect(s) they were going to have on Calion later in the series.  Of course those outside elements are important but they're not the main focus of the story.

Series II will see Calion as the main character, but obviously that's all I can say regarding that right now.

Also, Bleach references?  In my story?  Nah, bro.

So we're back with a new Episode, and this one took a few days longer than I would have liked, but that's alright.  I'm sure everyone had a chance to catch up and stuff, so I won't spend too much time re-capping that here.  Anyway, this Valley of Souls plot will probably only be 5-6 episodes.  So while I do apologize for the somewhat rushed pace, it's almost necessary because we do have to get through this mini-arc, but I don't have enough space to devote an entire Arc to it.

[spoiler=Episode 63: Foolish or Courageous?  Calion's Hasty Decision!]

Once upon a time, the Valley of Souls had been a peaceful resting place, filled with serenity and a calm existence, allowing those who had left the world of the living to rest quietly and peacefully.  Some of them, perhaps those that had been much stronger on Earth, had additional responsibilities handed to them here in the Valley.  As with any grouping, a Leader was needed to keep and maintain order, and the most pure of souls would be given that opportunity to watch over and command the Valley.

For millenia this existence had been a simple one, rulers would maintain peace and the inhabitants would go about their daily lives, or afterlives, doing whatever they pleased.  But recently, things had become increasingly difficult.  At first, it wasn't so bad.  There were signs of tampering with the natural order, affecting the way things were carried out on a daily basis, but for the most part they were swept under the rug, and people paid it no attention.  The calm and the peace still remained until that fateful day, about five years ago.

Where she had come from, nobody knew.  Obviously, it was fair to assume she had come from the world of the living, but something about her suggested otherwise.  Though only few had seen her and the majority of what was known was passed through rumor, it was said she carried an aura of darkness around with her, of true evil.  Effortlessly, she had slain thousands of souls and taken over the Gateway, the Valley of Souls' main city and the place where the ruler(s) would take residence.

She was not alone, either.  Several minions and other creatures had come along with her, showing no regard for the souls who inhabited this place.  Unlike on Earth, where when one dies they go to the Valley of Souls, if you die in the Valley of Souls, you are erased from existence.  You no longer are.  There is nowhere else to go.  And countless people had already experienced this.  She sealed herself away within the Gateway's walls, occasionally issuing an order but never directly - no one knew what she looked like or what her motives were.

The fact was, this place had become tainted by evil and darkness.  It was no longer the peaceful place it used to be.  Her minions would choose random people, humans or spirits it didn't matter, and torture them for the sake of it, whether it be via a duel or physical force, killing them with no second thoughts or regret.  And the people were forced to stand by and watch - there was no one who could match her power.  Until now.

Calion had listened to the entire story and given it a chance to sink in.  Although Nikolai was well aware, he hadn't been here when it all started.  He'd received his information from the rogue organization, Chaos, he had become a part of.  The few remaining warriors on the outsides of the Gates with any fighting ability at all had come together in an effort to protect those not-so fortunate.  Many of them had been killed in battle, but the leader, Shinjome had somehow managed to survive.  Back on Earth, his ability to manage Rakurai was exceptional, but the Valley of Souls placed severe limitations on everyone's power, through the forces of nature.

Just the way it was designed meant one's full potential  couldn't be realized here.  The particles of energy in the air that existed on Earth and in the Mid-World were few and far between here - simple as that.  Yet somehow, the queen and her subordinates were not hindered by such restrictions.  No one knew why, but as the days passed, the hope for restoring the place to its former ways grew smaller and smaller.

He was at a severe disadvantage, and time was not on their side.  In order to return to Earth and save everyone, he had to break through those Gates and defeat whatever was inside.  Fear was not the issue, although it was clear that some of the others were frightened.  The problem was, if he could only use minimal amounts of power, it would be hard to fight someone at full strength.  But he couldn't afford to hesitate now.  No matter what he had to do...Lucien and the others would be defeated.  They were counting on him.  He'd failed once, but failing again wasn't an option.

"We have to get in there, now.  There's no time to waste," Calion ordered, prompting Nikolai's attention.  "Tell me what I have to do in order to get that damn gate open."

Nikolai looked hesitant to respond, but finally did.  "It's not going to be easy.  In fact, there's no guarantee we can even do it.  The Gateway is heavily guarded by the strongest of her army, a bunch of beastly fiends that won't hesitate to kill at a moment's notice."

"Good, so we're not much different then," Calion smirked.  They weren't that far away at all; he could make out three or four creatures standing guard, but there were obviously more nearby, meaning they could plan a sneak attack as soon as he tried to get within a few feet.  "Question is, can I kill them all at once?"

The young Russian didn't look so sure.  "I know confidence is your thing, but if you don't take these guys seriously you're going to get us both killed," he responded.  "Your Rakurai won't work to its fullest extent here, you'll be lucky if you can use a 1st Stage technique.  This is going to take some planning whether you want to hear that or not."

"You're missing the point," Calion said, eyes tight.  "That's not an option."  He gripped his sword, prepared to unsheath it, but not wanting to do so recklessly.  Once he got to the entrance, he'd do it, and he'd kill every last one of those things.

"But Calion, you can't be so-"  Nikolai stopped himself; the Spirit was already gone.

---

At the Gate, things weren't so simple.  A muscle-bound warrior, his skin a shade of dark blue, stood wielding a shield and lance, and his emblem more than confirmed his position of leadership among the others.  The guards who stood by him were larger in size, but perhaps weaker in execution.  

He hadn't seen the Spirit's arrival, but almost immediately he had detected a change in the air; the power level had increased.  Raising his right arm and pointing towards the Gate, all the remaining guards gathered around forming an entire blockade around it.  There were about fifteen of them in total, looking almost identical.  Large, hairy, grotesque creatures with bone clubs.  About as intimidating as you could get, but clearly lacking in the intelligence department.

What could he do?  Jumping out in the open would put himself at an extreme disadvantage.  They'd swarm him in seconds and that numbers game wouldn't even give him enough time to withdraw his sword.  Even his strength felt shaky; what Nikolai had said about the air here, he was right - it wasn't filled with the same energy.  Rakurai was existent, but not much.

But his mind was filled with the images of those who were suffering now and had suffered still, all because he hadn't been able to protect them.  He couldn't afford to let anyone else die, he wouldn't.  And if that meant killing all of these bastards, then so be it.  He had to rescue everyone.  He made a vow.

His mind was drawn back to reality when the head guard called out.  "It is pointless to hide, peasant.  You know the law, the rules state that coming within one-hundred feet of the gate is grounds for instant execution.  Reveal yourself and I'll try to make your death quick and painless."

Concealed by the shadows, Calion looked to Nikolai, who was still within a safe distance away.  Nikolai hadn't followed, and he hadn't wanted him to, putting himself at risk like that.  The boy appeared concerned, but Calion wasn't going to let himself get shaken up by fear.  The guard speaking, it reminded him of Unos, his arrogant, painful personality.  Unos, when this is all said and done I swear I'll beat you, so I'll consider this a warm-up!

"I know where you are, and if you're choosing not to reveal yourself, then prepare to die by force!"  The guard commanded the others to attack, and with ruckous battle cries, they charged, clubs outward.

"{3rd Stage: Crimson Thunderblade}," Calion said, reaching for his sword as it flew out of the holster.  But nothing changed, it remained a steel weapon.  No, he didn't have the power to use it!  That couldn't be, not right here, he'd need it in order to kill these guys!  Damnit, Nikolai was right!  There's too much of a restriction on my body, I can't change the sword!

As the army approached him, his only option was to bring himself into the open, leaping over them and landing in front of the gate, only a few feet away from the lead guard.  His sword still extended, there was not much he could do to defend himself.  The guard saw him clearly, but made no motion as the servants regrouped, this time surrounding him at a leisurely pace.

"You're surrounded, you pathetic mortal," the guard said, stepping forward with his lance, the point of which was a twisted steel, almost resembling a drill-bit, prepared to strike him.  "There is nowhere to go, now die!"

He drove the lance into Calion's chest.  As it hit, he drove it forward more, hoping to hit a vital organ, only to find that the lance had never actually made contact.  In a flash, it all caught up to him as Calion leapt into the air, kicking off the edge of the spear and jumping over his head to the outside of the circle.  "What the hell just happened!  Explain yourself!"

"Heh,"  Calion replied, snarkily as he sheathed the sword.  "Just a brilliantly timed move is all."  Just before the attack had connected, he'd been able to perform Jikokusori, freezing time just long enough to dodge the attack.  By the time it caught up to him, the lead guard believed his attack had struck, when in reality it had not.  "What you just witnessed is a first hand experience, the ability of my jikokusori.  By using my own energy, I can freeze time within a certain radius.  Of course, given the limitations the Valley of Souls places on my Rakurai use, I didn't have much of a range, but I was able to let you get close enough that you had no way of connecting with the attack."

He appears different from the others, I have never seen him before.  The guard thought to himself.  With each new arrival in the Valley, they were handed down orders and information, as well as the means by which to keep track of that person and the ways to hold up against them.  Many of the new arrivals had no Rakurai at all, yet this one did.  Hm...  It won't matter, her highness has ensured that the limitations placed here will allow us to defeat any of these worthless peasants with ease.

"Clearly I should've listened to Nikolai's words, but I can't afford to wait," Calion said.  "As foolish as this is, I have to be able to take them all out.  I have to.  Come on, I need the Rakurai here!"

"Calion, get out of there!"  Nikolai called to him.  "You still have time to retreat, they'll more than likely follow but we can hide, don't get yourself killed!"

"I don't know who you are, but truthfully it doesn't matter," the lead guard said.  "My job is simply to protect these gates and ensure no one passes through.  So I shall fulfill my obligations and kill you!  Even if you made a grand entrance, it's of no matter, I'll kill you!  You don't have the power to use another attack.  Surely not with all of the pressure around you here."

Hold on a second...  Suddenly he had an idea.  It was risky, but maybe it would work.  The Rakurai was sealed in his body...the pressure made it impossible for him to release it, that was the way this world functioned.  But he had to break through this gate and get past these guys.  

"Now get him!" 

"If this doesn't work, I'll die," Calion said.  "But oh well, I've got no other shot!  Work with me here, come on!"  He withdrew his sword once more, turning it towards himself.  The guard laughed at first, but then his eyes widened as he watched Calion drive it straight into his own chest.  Blood shot out, but that wasn't all; an explosion of energy drastically changed the pressure in the air.  He felt the power surging through him!

"CALION!!"  Nikolai screamed in horror as he saw the sight, the guards approaching him with no time to move.  Their only hope, and he was going to die right before his eyes.

He wouldn't have this power for long, but stabbing himself had allowed an unearthly amount of Rakurai to be released into the air, which he could use to hit the 3rd Stage.  It was now or never.  "{3rd Stage: Crimson Thunderblade}"  The energy wrapped itself around his blade, and this time the steel changed as it should, the blade becoming a mixture of crimson red and black, comprised entirely of electrical energy.

Wait a minute, how did he do that?!  Nikolai was shocked at the sight, Calion still bleeding from the chest.  His sword illuminated the entire area, a near-blinding light.

"I knew the impatience would pay off!"  His speed nearly ten times stronger, he dashed off, slicing the heads off four of the guards in succession.  The lead guard retreated towards the gate, ordering the others to protect him.  In one swift motion, Calion sliced three of them clean in half, before doing the same to the others.

Nikolai couldn't believe his eyes.  He'd just killed them all in a matter of seconds.  Injuring himself, what kind of crazy tactic was that?  And to think, that much power was released from one cut?  How strong was this guy?  Great, now it's gonna be even harder to convince him we need to have a plan here.  He's so worried about saving those close to him that he's risking himself to try and break through.  But I know these parts, and even more than me, Shinjome knows exactly what kind of battle we're fighting.  He's been in Calion's shoes.  But his power...I'm not sure even Shinjome can surpass that.  It's a crazy move, cutting himself open just to release his Rakurai, but it's paying off.  The question is, how long can he hold up?  Surely he'll suffer internal bleeding.

Only he lead guard remained at this point.  His face, he was thrown aback by the sight of Calion so effortlessly cutting through his entire army of defense.  The decapitated heads of the trollish fiends laid around him, slain in such a fast way, they hadn't even been able to see it coming.  Surely this boy was no human.  Not with that kind of power.  But if he were a Spirit, there was no way he would so carelessly rush into battle, and risk himself in the process.  Especially knowing the cost one pays to die here.

“At first I felt merciful, but I can see that your naivety is just another one of your weaknesses,” the guard sputtered.  “Don’t fear, I will make your death painless.  You deserve that honor after the way in which you disposed of all these fiends.”

Calion was disgusted, hearing the man—thing talk about his subordinates like that.  Even if they weren’t human, or Spirits, and hell, even if they were evil, to have so much disregard for those fighting to protect him?  What nerve.  “You have no right to talk about them that way,” he said, adjusting his hand on the blade, gripping the handle.  The Rakurai had, for the most part, sealed his wound, but the pain was still there.  Somehow he had been able to stop the bleeding.

Admittedly it was a foolish move, but he no longer cared about his own well-being.  His life was only important long enough to escape from this place and restore things to the way they should be, to fix his mistakes.  What happened to him after that, well, it didn’t really matter all that much.  But he had to stay alive long enough to get out of here – otherwise the others were doomed to meet a similar, if not worse fate.  And that wasn’t an option.

“If I don’t do something, he’s going to die.  I can’t just stand here and let that happen.”  Before he could act, Nikolai felt a hand over his chest.  Shinjome.  The elder’s arm prevented him from moving forward, and though he spoke, the man did not look at him directly.  “Shinjome, what are you doing?  Let me go, I have to help him!”

“Don’t be a fool,” the elder replied.  “Look where it got your friend.  If we try to intervene in this fight now, we’re only going to get ourselves killed.  He’s rash, and he does not heed the advice of others.  If he’s killed here, he will have no one but himself to blame.  We cannot jeopardize the rest of the group by risking our lives to save him.”

Nikolai sighed.  Shinjome was right.  Damnit, why couldn’t Calion have just waited?  He understood the pressure was on but they could have devised a plan of attack instead of rushing right into the center of the storm.  Admittedly he had been able to take out the entire backup, but the lead guard, who went by the name Ruskor, was feared throughout the valley for his incredible strength.  There was a reason he was chosen to protect the gate; arguably his job was the most important.  But to stand here and watch him die, especially when his intentions are good?  That’s not the solution!

“Prepare yourself for the ultimate death!”  Ruskor exclaimed, hoisting his shield above his head.  With a steady release of energy, his lance and shield became one, forming a bow and arrow type structure, with which he could defend himself and fire at the same time.  With increased acceleration no less, the lance would carry an unmatchable velocity.  He was anticipating this.  To kill a strong, but mindless enemy. 

Calion did not show fear, but from the sidelines Nikolai’s eyes were filled with it.  Shinjome stared on, his aged eyes staring off into the distance, but watching the situation at the same time.  He had no trust for the outsiders, and this was the reason why.  The sooner Calion died, the sooner they would be able to defeat the evil.  And he was going to die thanks to his own insolence.

“Release!”  Ruskor raised the weapon, firing the lance at a high speed.

There was nowhere to run.

To be continued...[/spoiler]

And thus Calion's latest escapade begins, with the reckless spirit running directly into battle carelessly. But deep down, we all know Calion's gonna make it. Especially since you just said that D-Accel II sees him as the main character; he's obviously going to make an appearance, and even if he doesn't, he's got many more episodes to go before the series ends. He can't die this early on.

Or can he?

And thus Calion's latest escapade begins, with the reckless spirit running directly into battle carelessly. But deep down, we all know Calion's gonna make it. Especially since you just said that D-Accel II sees him as the main character; he's obviously going to make an appearance, and even if he doesn't, he's got many more episodes to go before the series ends. He can't die this early on.

Or can he?

What if I was lying and there is no D-Accel II?  What if I said that simply to convince you guys that he was going to survive and the story would have an epic conclusion?  What if he loses here completely?  Just saying.

Then again since D-Accel II has been confirmed and is already in pre-production, I suppose that's not likely.  But still.

The implications of seriesosity (that's definitely a word) aside, I do like your fighting chapters, but I'm certain this one is pretty short. Maybe it's because duels use less space to say more, I dunno. This chapter is literally:

Bit of backstory - Calion is at the gates - Calion is cornered - Calion attacks - Calion is about to get impaled with a lance. That's 5 things, and Calion being cornered barely counts. How did Calion even get in the position to have a lance fired at him anyway? It just feels a bit like getting small morsels every time, but never really being satisfied with a full meal. It just irks me. Heck, I swear that last chapter was literally 1 turn of a duel, then Calion being in the Valley of Souls. It just feels too short, and I would gladly wait 2 weeks for a full duel rather than see half in one chapter, then half in the next, but with only a week between them. Similar concept for the storytelling/fight parts as well.

Just a potential thought for D-Accel 2.

The implications of seriesosity (that's definitely a word) aside, I do like your fighting chapters, but I'm certain this one is pretty short. Maybe it's because duels use less space to say more, I dunno. This chapter is literally:

Bit of backstory - Calion is at the gates - Calion is cornered - Calion attacks - Calion is about to get impaled with a lance. That's 5 things, and Calion being cornered barely counts. How did Calion even get in the position to have a lance fired at him anyway? It just feels a bit like getting small morsels every time, but never really being satisfied with a full meal. It just irks me. Heck, I swear that last chapter was literally 1 turn of a duel, then Calion being in the Valley of Souls. It just feels too short, and I would gladly wait 2 weeks for a full duel rather than see half in one chapter, then half in the next, but with only a week between them. Similar concept for the storytelling/fight parts as well.

Just a potential thought for D-Accel 2.

Without giving anything away (especially as I'm not working on the planning for Accel II alone, it's going to be very different from this one in terms of structure.  We're still working out some details and whatnot, but a lot of things I did wrong with the First Series, I hope to avoid (or at least improve) with the second one.

The one thing I'm trying to explain though is that each Episode has about 3,000 words.  That's longer than most, but it's sort of like the goal I always strive for.  In particular, this Chapter has 3,200 words.  So when you say it's short, I feel like you're talking moreso about the actual content and story progression as opposed to the length.  As it pertains to the Valley of Souls Arc, which won't really be it's own individual arc although it's written as such, I have to cram about 20 episodes worth of material into six or so Chapters.  That's very difficult to do, but it also means the Chapters are going to be packed with progression, exposition, and everything in between.

The thing that made this first Chapter different is that without even realizing it, I passed the 3,000 word mark and sort of left myself at a point where if I kept writing, it would be too long and people would complain about not wanting to sit and read such a long Chapter.  The difficult part comes from being able to tell a lot with a little, so to speak.

Something I'm working on significantly moving forward.  Most of the time duels will be 1 Chapter, unless it's a big duel, then I usually have it go 2 Chapters.  The reason behind Calion/Unos' duel spanning 3 Chapters was that I wanted to establish what the Valley of Souls was and everything in-between in that span, meaning I had to stretch it out so I could use the rest of the Chapter to clean things up.

64, which is in progress now, does not involve Calion in any way.  It's not necessarily filler, but it's a break from that Arc while being on the same time-line as we catch up with the other events going on while Calion is stuck in the Valley.  With 65 we'll get back to that.  However, I can say that 64 does have a duel and the duel is completed in one Chapter.

So something to look forward to, I suppose.  But I fully agree with all your points and I'm working on improving that for future Chapters.

And so, we kick off Calion's adventure in the Valley of Souls. However, I don't see why you'd drag it out so needlessly; given what we discussed, you shouldn't need six chapters to do what you need to do.The Valley is becoming a much larger deal than I'd imagined, but I do like what you're doing with it. There's not a whole lot to go on just yet, what with the plotline just starting out, but so far it seems interesting.

I have to agree with Canopy Star on this one: I could see Calion losing the duel an episode earlier. Imagine this:

---

All he saw was a flash and that was the end.  The impact hit him so hard he couldn't even hear the sounds of the spirits rising up to consume his soul.

Calion's Life Points: 0

To Be Continued...

---

But then, looking back that one final turn was written lengthily, and would have made it considerably longer. If, that is, you actually took the same words used. Of course, that would screw up your entire story, and you'd have to lengthen 62, which would take out of 63, and at that point, it's just left in ruins.

And so, we kick off Calion's adventure in the Valley of Souls. However, I don't see why you'd drag it out so needlessly; given what we discussed, you shouldn't need six chapters to do what you need to do.The Valley is becoming a much larger deal than I'd imagined, but I do like what you're doing with it. There's not a whole lot to go on just yet, what with the plotline just starting out, but so far it seems interesting.

We talked about this in greater detail, but just so people don't think I'm ignoring your very valid points; if this part wasn't essential to the story (and its conclusion) I would definitely be able to do it in about three episodes/chapters.  However, given the importance and the fact that I somehow have to fit two duels into that period, it's definitely going to need all six chapters.  The next one, as I mentioned, is not part of this 'Arc', so 65-70 will be what encompasses Calion's journey before the final stretch.

I have to agree with Canopy Star on this one: I could see Calion losing the duel an episode earlier. Imagine this:

---

All he saw was a flash and that was the end.  The impact hit him so hard he couldn't even hear the sounds of the spirits rising up to consume his soul.

Calion's Life Points: 0

To Be Continued...

---

But then, looking back that one final turn was written lengthily, and would have made it considerably longer. If, that is, you actually took the same words used. Of course, that would screw up your entire story, and you'd have to lengthen 62, which would take out of 63, and at that point, it's just left in ruins.

I agree.  The final turn was written very lengthily because I wanted to convey the importance of the duel.  After all, aside from Kenji/Sora vs. Alice and maybe Kiryu vs. Dos, this was the biggest duel of the entire Series.  There were some other big ones, but duels are used only when necessary to boost the story and this was a huge one.  I wanted to make sure it got as much time as it needed.

Here's the next new one.  Now, before anyone says anything regarding length, it clocked in at 2,300 words.  Yes, this was done intentionally.  Why?  That way the duel can take part in one full episode without being broken up amongst a few.  Did I sacrifice length (a bit) for the sake of consistency and storytelling?  Yes.  Normally I won't do this, but still, the length isn't bad for an Episode at all and I think the quality was good.

For those of you wondering, the Nature HEROes were not created by me, they've become a bit of an infamous thing in a short amount of time thanks to a member who has no idea what the 'Jack Witt' clause is. Noteably, although they are cartoonish in nature, they fit the character quite well given that normally, when he's, well, himself, it's the kind of thing he would use.  You'll see.  Just read it.  And feedback.  And whatnot.

[spoiler=Episode 64: The Hidden Objective]

It was his first time out of the hospital in weeks.  While the doctors lacked the ability to come up with a sound explanation for his condition, his body had begun to heal itself, and eventually they deemed him worthy for release, nothing further they could do.

The outside air felt amazing, literally a breath of fresh air after being stuck inside for weeks, not able to do much at all.  He stretched his arms a bit, too, trying to work them and loosen up his muscles.  Obviously the Rakurai inside him had played a part in his body’s recovery, but he was weary of using it too soon; hopefully, there wouldn’t be a need to.  Things had been relatively calm around here.

But he’d developed a really, really bad feeling.  Something about Sora and Calion.  Something he couldn’t quite understand or visualize, but it was there.  A voice was calling to him, and without further words he knew he had a job to do.  Hopefully his body would be able to hold up until then.

Episode 64: The Hidden Objective

Elsewhere in the city, two duelists had gathered to play a friendly game, er, sorta.  Eighteen year old Mayuri Soshita had just gotten out of work, and received a call from some of his friends to meet up at the gaming center downtown to watch a featured duel that was going on, something regarding the Pro Leagues and the chance to be on TV.  He’d only made it about half-way down the street, less than a block from the workplace, when a somewhat-odd looking boy approached him, requesting a duel.

In truth, the boy was weird, definitely younger, with a messy ginger haircut and clothes that appeared to be tattered, but he was very persistent, and Mayuri had a few minutes to spare.  So he figured why not?  Whatever the Pro League challenge was might involve some dueling anyway, so it wasn’t the worst idea to freshen up beforehand.  Deep in the duel at this point, the boy whose name he had learned was simply ‘Jinsho’, was playing a Deck that almost too random to be real.

An archetype referred to as the ‘Nature HERO’, a design inspired by the now-famous Elemental HERO and Destiny HERO archetypes of days past, apparently well known in its own right, but Mayuri had never heard of it.  So either the kid was spewing lies or he was out of the loop.  Perhaps a little of both.  Regardless, as the duel went on, Mayuri had gained the upper hand.  With a Life Point statistic of 3300/1400 respectively, he had an extremely solid lead.

On Mayuri’s field a gorgeous wizard, clad in a bustling purple armour and wielding a staff capable of many magical feats, sat Magician’s Valkyria (1600).  Alongside the stunning beauty was another Spellcaster, except this one far fiercer.  Made famous by the legendary Yugi Moto, ‘Breaker the Magical Warrior’ stood guard over the young princess, thanks to his one active Trap Card, ‘Spell Armored Veil’, which made it so only Breaker himself could be the target of attacks.

Jinsho’s field was empty.  But it was his turn now.  And in order to turn things around, he’d have to get a pretty lucky draw.  But it didn’t matter; Mayuri had this duel won.  Nothing could break his Spellcaster Lock.

“Hm, just what I was hoping to turn around this rousing game,” Jinsho smirked, his voice reminiscent of a one Weevil Underwood, only with more of a cackle.  It was painful just to listen to.  “I activate the Spell Card Nature HERO Rolecall!”

[spoiler=Nature HERO Rolecall]

Normal Spell Card

You can Special Summon 1 “Nature HERO” monster from your hand.[/spoiler]

“With this, I can call forth the all powerful Nature HERO Shadowtroop (2800) from my hand!”  A vengeful warrior shrouded in darkness and carrying with him a sword that resembled his desire to deliver justice, Shadowtroop took refuge upon the field.  A powerful monster indeed, but not on the level of breaking the lock.

A trollish little laugh soon followed, as Jinsho placed another card from his hand onto the duel disk, this time calling out a second heroic warrior, sporting armor that ranged through a variety of colors.  “Up next, I’ll introduce this, Nature HERO Colortroop (700)!”

[spoiler=Nature HERO Colortroop]

LV3/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned: Draw 2 cards.

700/1100[/spoiler]

“Thanks to Colortroop, I’m not out of plays just yet,” he cackled, pushing the glasses covering his eyes up from the bridge of his nose.  He flashed an evil grin, and for a moment Mayuri felt something strange pass.  Adding two new cards, Jinsho continued.  “While it’s true that your lock carries a great presence, it’s nothing compared to the power my Nature HERO’s give me.”

“Give it up, you can’t hope to break through!” Mayuri retorted.

With a newfound darkness in his voice, Jinsho’s entire demeanor changed. “Don’t be naïve, your hope was crushed the moment you accepted my challenge!”  Darkness rising in the boy’s voice, he placed a card from his hand into his duel disk, and with it came a strange glow.  “For now, I activate the card known as Galaxy Queen’s Light!”

Galaxy Queen’s Light?  Mayuri repeated to himself.  He’d seen that card before.  He’s played a very simple game at this point, his monsters are weak and don’t pack much of a punch at all.  And his supporting cards follow suit.  But that card, it’s not anything like the others he’s used.  Galaxy Queen’s Light will allow him to make both of his monsters the same Level as his Shadowtroop, meaning he can perform an...Xyz Summon.  Standing his ground, confident about his unbreakable lock, Mayuri couldn’t help but notice the frightening feeling creeping up on him.

“It would appear you’re familiar with it, but just for the sake of simplicity, allow me to explain!”  Jinsho laughed aloud.  “Galaxy Queen’s Light allows me to manipulate the levels of all monsters I control so that they match the Level of my strongest monster, Nature HERO Shadowtroop!  That means Colortroop gets a boost as well!  (Colortroop = LV2 + ***** = LV7)

“And now you can overlay,” Mayuri stopped.  “But for what?”

“I’m so glad you asked, because I’ve been anxious to try out this brand new card!”  His voice grew deeper, and the energy radiating from him stronger as well as the two monsters rose into the sky, creating the Overlay Network.  “Tremble in fear at the might, Number 11: Big Eye (2600)!”

Whoa, what’s going on?!  Mayuri sprung backwards as the pavement they were standing on gave loose, cracks opening upwards on both sides.  From beneath the street a monstrous creature rose, a sleek metal structure with a pointed end, about the size of the skyscrapers on their sides.  Passerby’s scurried away with fear; large chunks of pavement flew onto the sidewalks from both sides as the monster got comfortable, revealing one eye on its front side which opened.  “What in the world is that thing?  This doesn’t look like a hologram!”

---

Yes...my power has begun to return.  Now, if he is the one I seek, we must destroy him!

---

Jinsho was weak, and although the voice spoke inside his head, he could not understand nor respond to it.  He had lost complete control over himself, taken over by who – or what – ever was behind the voice.  While his body was still very much there, the rest of him was a thing of the past.  He had no further grip on himself.  His tone changed as well, growing deeper once again.

“Look I...I’m done with this duel,” Mayuri said, stepping back as Jinsho’s evil stares met his own eyes.  He started to turn and walk away, but a force field prevented him from doing so. It was the Exceed.  Whatever power was coming from it was holding him in place, stopping him from doing anything at all.  “Who are you?  Tell me what’s going on here!”

“I could explain, or simply let my explanations do the talking, human,” he replied.  “Now back to our game,” he let the word roll off his tongue slowly, curling his lips slowly.  “Behold the might of Number 11, the ultimate controller!  I shall detach an Overlay Unit and in doing so, I’m able to take a monster on your field and gain control of it as my own!  So I believe I’ll be taking your Breaker the Magical Warrior!”

“Say what?!”  Mayuri asked, but it was too late as a hand shot out, wrapping itself around the caster and draining it of almost all of its life force.  Replacing it on Jinsho’s field, Breaker had become a shell of his former self.

“And now the conclusion!  For I activate the Spell Card Nature Destruction!”  A searing flame flew outwards from the opening in the pavement, annihilating both Valkyria and the Trap Card which remained.  The heat felt real, but as Mayuri tried to dodge it, he felt the force field holding him in place.  There really was nowhere to run.

[spoiler=Nature Destruction]

Normal Spell Card

If you control the same number of cards as your opponent: Target up to 2 cards your opponent controls; destroy those target(s).[/spoiler]

Yes...feel my power!

“And now, this duel will end!  First, Breaker will strike you directly, and then, Big Eye will finish you off!”  It happened just as he said, but it was Big Eye’s blast that knocked Mayuri off his feet and into a lamp-post.  The duel had ended, but the attack was entirely real.  Everything began to fade; he was falling in and out of consciousness.

Mayuri’s Life Points: 0

---

It has been a long time since I have been able to inhabit a human.  I despise these grotesque creatures, but I have finally found the one I’ve been searching for.

As the “hologram” of Big Eye vanished, Jinsho walked slow step by slow step over to Mayuri’s fallen body.  He reached out with his right hand, grabbing the boy by the throat through no action of his own.  Mayuri couldn’t respond, barely conscious.

His power...” Jinsho said.  “Is he not the one I seek?  This one is a mere mortal, there is no energy there at all.  Very well, I shall kill him then, just to get back in the hang of this!”  Lifting him by the throat, Jinsho gripped tightly, cutting off all circulation.  Mayuri used what little strength he had to kick away, but the “boy” was far too strong.

1st Stage: Shippuuishu; Hurricane Dagger!”  A barrage of crimson-red particles, each sharp as a blade, struck Jinsho’s arm all in unison, causing him to release his grip and drop Mayuri to the ground.  The pain was minimal, as the being controlling him had developed a heavy resistance to physical attacks, but it was enough to throw him off.

What is the meaning of this?”  Jinsho asked, turning his attention to this new presence.  A human stood before him, but this one unlike the other was quite strong, and much larger, too.  On the end of his right arm was a blade, though it was oval-shaped and not made of anything physical; no, it was completely Rakurai.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” he said.  “The name’s Kenji.  Kenji Christiansen.  But you can just refer to me as the last thing you saw before you were banished from this world.”

He was breathing heavily.  Having to time that attack perfectly was hard enough, but it was the first time in weeks he’d tapped into Rakurai at all.  Spending so much time in the hospital had thrown him out of shape.  Thankfully he’d made it just in time, but it was that Number monster that increased his sense of desperation.

Admittedly he knew nothing about it, but the feelings he got were the same, almost identical even to the ones from their duel with Alice way back, both Number 33 and Number 06, the latter being the reason for his hospitalization.  He had never heard of the Number cards before this entire thing began, and while he didn’t know how, he was certain they somehow tied in with CLEAR and the rest of this. 

His officer instincts made him worry about Mayuri, but there was nothing he could do about it right now.  The boy wasn’t out of breath completely; he’d saved him early enough.  But the shock would probably leave him in a critical condition.  But Kenji’s predicament was tough.  If he tried to do anything now, whatever this demon-thing was would swarm in and kill him before he had the chance to fight back.

He is not the one I seek either, but his power is great.” Jinsho said, licking his lips.  “Perhaps that will satisfy me, a hold-over until the true feast.  I’ll make quick work of this meddling human.

Kenji was troubled; his attack hadn’t done anything at all.  There were a few cuts, but they had sealed just as quickly as they’d been opened. If he tried to fight this thing, he’d probably end up right back where he started.  Any course of action was going to take a significant physical toll on his body given his recovering state, but there was no other choice.

His only chance right now was a duel.  Perhaps if he could draw out the Number monster, he could find out more about it, and what its relation was to everything else going on around them.  He should’ve figured he wouldn’t get any time to adjust to things before the battle picked up again.

Part of him wanted to sigh, but images of Sora and Calion flashed through his mind.  His friends were out there thousands of miles away fighting for their lives – and his.  There was no more time to rest.

Only time to fight.

Well, I'll say this much: Nature is Broken. Have you SEEN those cards you made? A free high-level monster, the only restriction being the fact that it has to be a Nature HERO, which isn't a problem, because they obviously have enough big cards (see: Paragraph 10). Also, Shadowtroop doesn't have a spoiler, leaving me oblivious to its other stats.

But finally, Kenji escapes leaves the hospital and re-joins the action. Thank the heavens that he didn't get thrown out of the story entirely.

Though I am confused, to the slightest degree; do we know this Jinzo Jinsho fellow, or did he just appear out of nowhere? And is he trying to after locksmith A, or Mr. Natureisbroken? The whole 'is he the one I seek' thing was confusing.

Anyway, it's good to see Kenji back in the game, sure to enduce awkward moments when he realized Sora is dead, and he will obviously, in some way, affect the plot.

Well, I'll say this much: Nature is Broken. Have you SEEN those cards you made? A free high-level monster, the only restriction being the fact that it has to be a Nature HERO, which isn't a problem, because they obviously have enough big cards (see: Paragraph 10). Also, Shadowtroop doesn't have a spoiler, leaving me oblivious to its other stats.

But finally, Kenji escapes leaves the hospital and re-joins the action. Thank the heavens that he didn't get thrown out of the story entirely.

Though I am confused, to the slightest degree; do we know this Jinzo Jinsho fellow, or did he just appear out of nowhere? And is he trying to after locksmith A, or Mr. Natureisbroken? The whole 'is he the one I seek' thing was confusing.

Anyway, it's good to see Kenji back in the game, sure to enduce awkward moments when he realized Sora is dead, and he will obviously, in some way, affect the plot.

The best hint I could give about the 'the one I seek', which is another voice, is to go back and read the Houshou Arc, from Kimora & Kiryu's duel.  It's a hint.  However, the Number monster took over Jinsho, so he's not the one doing the talking anymore.  It should make more sense once we get into it a bit more, but it'll be a few episodes before we get back to the Kenji story.

I understand the confusion but understand that Jinsho is just a random who is being controlled trying to find someone.

The Number monsters are real, therefore the duels themselves become real.

I'm back! I read your chapter, and armed with your reasoning about the length of your chapters, I am satisfied. You made it clear that it was going to be "filler", but reintroducing Kenji is great, and I hope to see him more often now that he has shaken off his brief case of Sudden Hero Hospitalisation Syndrome.

I agree with RFO though, Nature HEROs are broken, but not for the reason he stated; it's because of this:

Nature HERO Colortroop

LV3/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

700/1100

Can you not see the problem with this? OK, OK, it was for one duel, and the outcome was pretty much going to be what it was, so I can forgive it at the moment, but that abomination is never appearing again, you hear?

Also, Big Eye cannot attack when it steals things. Just to let you know.

I'm back! I read your chapter, and armed with your reasoning about the length of your chapters, I am satisfied. You made it clear that it was going to be "filler", but reintroducing Kenji is great, and I hope to see him more often now that he has shaken off his brief case of Sudden Hero Hospitalisation Syndrome.

I agree with RFO though, Nature HEROs are broken, but not for the reason he stated; it's because of this:

Nature HERO Colortroop

LV3/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

700/1100

Can you not see the problem with this? OK, OK, it was for one duel, and the outcome was pretty much going to be what it was, so I can forgive it at the moment, but that abomination is never appearing again, you hear?

Also, Big Eye cannot attack when it steals things. Just to let you know.

I'm well aware of Colortroop's broke-ness, which is why I posted the fair warning that the cards were not my creation and I was using them simply to capitalize on the 'popularity' surrounding the Nature HERO's.  I needed a character for a filler episode, and I figured I'd try and draw in some new readers at the same time.  Can't blame a guy for trying, right?  I don't know whether or not the Nature HERO's will ever appear again.  Honestly, I've got 20 Chapters left, so I don't think I'll actually be writing out Kenji's duel.  Whether or not that's somewhat of a spoiler is up to you to decide, but I'll more than likely include it as a flashback somehow then actually waste an entire Chapter on it.

Originally I planned to do things differently but with the structure and the space I have left for the last 20 Chapters, I just don't think there's a plausible way to do that, and I have to make sure all the important stuff gets included.  So yeah.

Note, I'm aware of Big Eye's actual effect however, I gave it a buff for Anime purposes.  You'll see that I do that sometimes and if it's not something entirely noticeable (outside of ignoring a drawback), I usually know that the effect isn't like that in the TCG and I'm changing it for the sake of the story.  I don't think it's significant enough that it draws the readers out of the story, and it makes duels end more realistically.

But yes, Colortroop is a very broken card.  We're in agreement.

So here's a new episode.  Eon, you should be content, because I tried to fit a lot more story into this one.  Hopefully it worked out well.  And with that, we can begin the official 19 episode countdown until the Series finale, which is crazy to think about.  But here you go, 65 in all its glory.

[spoiler=Episode 65: The Force of One]

“Prepare yourself for the ultimate death!”  Ruskor exclaimed, hoisting his shield above his head.  With a steady release of energy, his lance and shield became one, forming a bow and arrow type structure, with which he could defend himself and fire at the same time.  With increased acceleration no less, the lance would carry an unmatchable velocity.  He was anticipating this.  To kill a strong, but mindless enemy.

Calion did not show fear, but from the sidelines Nikolai’s eyes were filled with it.  Shinjome stared on, his aged eyes staring off into the distance, but watching the situation at the same time.  He had no trust for the outsiders, and this was the reason why.  The sooner Calion died, the sooner they would be able to defeat the evil.  And he was going to die thanks to his own insolence.

“Release!”  Ruskor raised the weapon, firing the lance at a high speed.

There was nowhere to run.

Episode 65: The Force of One

Nikolai couldn’t bear to watch.  As Shinjome lowered his arm, knowing the boy would not run to get involved now, the young Russian turned around to face the opposite direction, occasionally peering back to see what would happen.  After being trapped here in this desolate place, their only hope to actually return home and carry out their lives was about to be torn to pieces.  And he couldn’t do a thing.

The end of Ruskor’s lance was designed in such a way to ensure that once it struck an enemy, it would uncoil inside the body, striking multiple vital organs.  That’s why the end was a spiral, as opposed to just a sharp point.  Therefore not only was it fired at incredible acceleration because of the shield launcher, but once it struck even if you somehow survived the first hit it would tear you to pieces.  Ruskor was an intimidating figure, but as scary as he was, what he was capable of was more-so.  He was ruthless, and remorse was not a part of his vocabulary.  That made him the ideal choice for her highness.  No one would be getting in or out without absolute approval.

Since the first time he’d met Calion, something about him had really stood out; his confidence in himself, he truly believed he was better than everyone else, and whether or not it was true, by carrying himself like that and staying true to himself he was almost always one step ahead.  Whatever had happened to him in the world of the living had shaken his confidence to the point that when he got here, he was ready to just give up.  Now, because he was so jumbled, he wasn’t capable of thinking logically at all.  Nikolai understood the thought of wanting to save the others, and save everyone, but if some had to die to save millions…

There was no way Calion was going to be able to survive against this attack.  Even though the bleeding had ceased, he would be torn to pieces, and he didn’t have much time left in his 3rd Stage; the release of energy he’d generated by stabbing himself would only last for so long before it completely wore out.  And if he were to cut himself open again, he’d die from blood loss.  Nikolai’s doubt could not be stronger, but he was very obviously shaken.

It was because of this doubt that Calion’s next step of attack made him freeze in place.  With the lance in full force, the Spirit met the weapon head on with his own sword, point for point.  Even Ruskor appeared genuinely shocked by the move; there was no way Calion had enough energy left to match the acceleration of his lance, something like that was impossible.

What a fool.  Shinjome turned away, no desire to see the Spirit’s untimely fate.  Until he felt the clash, an incredible amount of spiritual pressure being released all at once.

“I can’t afford to lose!”  The jagged, volt-charged tip of Calion’s blade met the point of the lance head on, and the two forces of energy meeting at exactly the same time released a shockwave that nearly tore up the surrounding areas.  But he held tight, resisting the acceleration of the lance and pushing back with equal strength.

Shinjome was bewildered by the sight – it was a true impossibility.  He’d seen many poor souls be torn to shreds with that very weapon, the strength unmatchable.  Yet here, this fool, rushing into battle with no proper planning at all, was meeting it head-on, and not only matching its strength, but beginning to surpass it with an open wound no less.  “What kind of…”

“This can’t be, that should have torn through his measly sword in seconds!”  Ruskor exclaimed, outraged and shocked at the scene before him.  Before he could process any further, Calion’s eyes met his, and the burning desire, something he’d never seen before, it frightened him.  The Spirit, without taking his eyes away from the fixation, released it all in one swipe, driving his blade through the lance, straight down the middle.

Again the massive release of energy damaged the area around them, Shinjome and Nikolai just barely out of the range.  With nothing but his shield left, Ruskor found himself in quite a contradicting spot.

His strength, I do not understand it.  Shinjome noted, vaguely remembering another of the same manner.  Things had become so different here, life was too precious of a thing to risk, everything had to be done by the book and in the safest way possible if one even hoped to survive.  Where does this power come from?  He is a Spirit, not a human, and yet he has the drive like none I’ve ever seen.  This will to win, even when the battle is not in his favor, that is not a Spirit’s tactic.  And still somehow, he has not only been able to use a Stage Technique here, where such a thing is not only vastly forbidden but also near-physical impossibility, but he is still standing.

I noticed a hint of his power back when we dueled in the Tournament, but I never imagined it was anything like this.  Nikolai thought to himself.  Had he known the kind of person Calion was, he would’ve backed off from the get-go.  To think, he had actually wanted to fight him.  If that had been the case, he would’ve died a lot sooner.  So what now?  Does he finish him off…

“You’re done.”  Calion said, and before Ruskor had the chance to take it in, the Spirit’s sword was straight through his chest.  He didn’t even feel it; it had happened that quickly. 

“Damn you,” he exclaimed, feeling his body begin to disintegrate and become one with the air around them.  “Damn you!  I have been beaten by a mere mortal!  You will suffer for your defiance!”  And with that, he was gone.  He would plague this world no longer.

---

There was nothing left now, nothing to stop them from breaking through.  The weapons of the fallen guards lay around him, and Calion, sensing the area was safe, dropped to his knees, blood beginning to spew from the wound which had not fully closed.  Thinking quickly, he tore a piece of fabric from the guard’s vest, squeezing it tight and wrapping it around his side.  It was a makeshift bandage, but it would have to do.

“You fool,” Shinjome’s words pierced his ears.  The elder made his way to Calion’s location, Nikolai following in suit.  “You could’ve gotten us all killed, do you not understand the severity of your actions?  And to make matters worse, by killing him, you’ve left us with no way to actually enter the Gates.  You have doomed us all.”

Nikolai looked at Shinjome, confusion in his eyes.  Why was he acting like this?  After Calion had just defeated them all, even if it had been in a risky fashion, they were alive, and they hadn’t been hurt.  He considered speaking up, but ultimately decided it was best not to say anything.

Blood still dripping from the bandage, Calion stared at the ground, imagining memories from his childhood in the dirt below.  He didn’t remember much, really.  As a child he had been lonely, didn’t associate with others at all.  In fact, he didn’t even know his own age.  How old he was now, how old he was then, he’d never actually figured it out.  That information wasn’t really all that relevant now, but it crossed his mind anyway, so he wondered.

He couldn’t take his mind off the fear, worrying about Calle and Xiael, and everyone else still there on Earth.  Unos had beaten him, and that meant he would most likely pursue the others.  As strong as they were, they wouldn’t stand a chance against his Dyson Sphere.  To think, this guy had the nerve to call him out for trying to escape.  For trying to right the wrongs he’d committed.

Shinjome drove his foot into the dirt, drawing Calion’s attention.  “Have you nothing to say for yourself?  An outsider who feels as though he can be a leader?  You are nothing here, just as you were nothing back on Earth.  Otherwise, you would not have ended up here.  It appears you were wrong about him, Nikolai.”  The boy simply hung his head.

He wasn’t going to listen to this.  “Look, I didn’t ask to come here, and now that I’m here, I didn’t ask for anyone’s help.”  He looked up at Shinjome for a moment before returning his eyes to the dirt.  “Maybe you missed it when I explained the first time, but I don’t have time for your silly plans.  I don’t have time to draw up a battle strategy.  My fr...” He caught himself.  “People are going to die there, and I need to escape from this place so I can save them.  Even at the cost of my own life.”

“Don’t be a damned bastard,” he snapped.  “You can’t even hope to escape now.  Your little lightshow may have worked to defeat the guards on the outside, but the moments you step between those Gates, you’ll alert the Queen of your presence.  And she’ll order you killed on the spot.  Not to mention, killing Ruskor has made it so we have no way of opening the Gate.  Like I said, you’re the reason we’ve failed.  Your risky techniques and carelessness is going to get us all killed!”

“Shut up!”  Calion said, grasping his sword and ripping it from the soil.  He stood, taking a step forward.  A tear fell from the right side of his cheek.   He didn’t even notice it, but Nikolai did.  And as it dropped to the dirt, forming a small puddle, he felt a massive burst of energy rush past.  “You don’t know a damn thing old man!  I don’t care if you’re the all-knowing elder or not, you don’t know what I’ve done, you haven’t been where I am.  I’ve made mistakes my entire life, but now, when it matters most, I will rectify them!  The lives of everyone who means something to me and millions more are on the line and I won’t let them die on my accord!  Do you understand me?!”

His eyes began to water once more as he remembered seeing Sora for the last time, at the very end of his duel, right before he fell to the ground, giving his life to help their goal.  And for what?  Sora’s sacrifice wouldn’t be in vain, no matter what.  If it was the last thing he did, he would give his life to make sure it was worthwhile!  An innocent soul who cared about nothing but protecting others and held no value to his own life, that was someone...someone he could call...a friend.

Sora.

Nikolai noticed it first, but it didn’t take Shinjome long to catch up. Calion’s sword – it’s glow had returned.  The hardened steel had once again been replaced by static electricity, the swirling combination of crimson and black, only this time it was bigger than before.  As Calion’s energy increased, so did the size of the sword.  But that couldn’t be; he had used the last of his energy. 

“What is this, Shinjome?”  Nikolai asked, looking up at the elder.  “I thought...he was only able to release a slight amount of Rakurai as it is, he must’ve used all of it to win that battle, right?  He had to...”

“Incorrect,” Calion turned around to face him.  “Wounding myself was the only way to get Rakurai into the air so that I could harness its power.  Sure it hurt like hell, but it worked.  Maybe it was a bit reckless.  But of the power I released, I only used an 1/8th of it to kill him.  That means all of what’s left, I haven’t even tapped into.”

Wide-eyed, Nikolai had no response.  Could it be?  Could he truly be that strong?

Like his protégé, Shinjome had no words, either.  What was he planning?

“You’re only fooling yourself old man if you think the Queen, or whoever she is doesn’t know we’re here yet, so let’s make a grand entrance, shall we?!”  He plunged forward into the Gate, about twenty feet high and four feet wide, made of solid stone.  On the outside, the carving of an ancient dragon served as its only form of decoration.  He thrust the sword straight into the dragon’s mouth, releasing all of his energy at once.

“Incredible!  He broke through the stone!”  Nikolai was bewildered.

He couldn’t possibly think he could break down the Gate with sheer power, that’s asinine. The elder watched, unwilling to believe the sight before his eyes.

The pressure was intense – so much so that Shinjome had to stake his sword into the ground to remain in place.  Nikolai almost fell over, but he stopped himself using what little Rakurai he could.  And just like that, before their eyes, the unbreakable stone gate crumbled into four sections, in one massive release of Rakurai.  Cracks trailed down both sides of the wall, and for a moment everything was so bright they couldn’t see a damn thing.

“He did it, the Gate, he broke it down...” Nikolai said, stunned.  The young Russian had seen many things in his lifetime, but this was surreal, almost like it wasn’t really happening.  He could see the true shock in his mentor’s eyes as the elder stood with his eyes fixated.  Calion had dropped his sword, which had returned to its normal state, and he was breathing incredibly heavily.  But the Gate was no more.

---

“What the hell was that?” One of the men standing guard, an interesting enough appearance as his armor looked like something straight out of a medieval flick, jolted to his feet and elbow his partner in the gut at the same time as he heard the large explosion outside.  “Damnit, get up you idiot!”

His partner struggled to get himself together and stand, quickly reaching for his mace which sat on the table next to him.  They stumbled outside quickly to find many of the Royal Guards in a frenzy, all of them running towards the same point, crashing into one another in an attempt to get there first – the Gate.

In fairness, there wasn’t much of a Gate left.  But as the disjointed army reached their location, they found nothing but a pile of shattered rubble, stones and fragments that had once made up the Gate. The first one to reach the site nearly fell back as a piece of rock crashed into the ground at his feet, resembling the mouth of the dragon carving, all that remained of the Gate now.  And in its mouth was the indent of a sword.

That same guard took charge of the situation, thrusting his axe skyward.  “Listen up, I command you all to silence!  The Royal Palace has been intruded, do you hear me?!  Those pathetic mortals on the outside have somehow broken down our most sacred Gate!  We must find them, no matter what, before the Queen finds out what has happened!”

Taking stance, the men (and creatures for that matter) lined up and saluted, their barbaric roars shaking the very foundation of the Palace.

“Then let us go!  Kill them, any and all of them!  Show no hesitation!”  He lowered his axe and joined the army in a forward march.  They would destroy the entire city if they had to, in order to appease Her Highness.

---

Meanwhile, Calion had already made it in.  Not the Palace itself, but fighting through his nagging injuries he’d found a place to hide, at least for now.  Far off in the distance he could sense that the armies were now aware of his presence, but he’d bought some time.  After much hesitation, Nikolai and Shinjome had decided not to tag along.

Dismissing his actions as foolish, Shinjome ordered Nikolai to stand down, saying they would regroup with the rest of Chaos in the safety of the Outside Lands, leaving him to fight this battle alone.  Sensibly, it would’ve been wise to go with them – but he didn’t have the time for that.

Shinjome had warned him of one thing before their retreat.

I think you’re a fool.  And I think with your lack of sensible judgment you deserve to die.  But, if you want to live, you’ll need to remember this.  Inside the Gates, it is not possible to reach a Rakurai Stage, not even in the slightest.  While out here it’s simply the remains of the seal that prevents one from doing so, giving you limited use, inside the Gates, the Queen has used her powers to seal it completely.  Injuring yourself won’t make a difference – the second the Rakurai hits the air it is wiped away.  So if you wish to find the Spirital, you’ll need to rely on something other than combat skills.  Outside of that, I can offer you no more assistance.  I’m sure this will be the last time we meet.

...After all, you’re walking into your own death.”

OOH. Life and death battles, stupid amounts of power, and a confrontation with the Queen (whoever she is, have we met her already? Don't answer that), all in one chapter. Good thing you told us its the 19th chapter before the end, otherwise I'd accuse you of jumping the gun.

Just kidding.

This chapter is good, but it seems to be that time again where it has to be made EXPLICITLY CLEAR how powerful Calion is. I mean, couldn't the others have lent him some power, or something? Maybe not, but it seems a chapter barely goes by without someone being shocked about how powerful he is. Soon you're gonna run out of characters to surprise...

And thus the Calion vs the Valley of Mist Arc continues, with Calion not only showing off in front of the unbelievers, but breaking himself in while he was at it. What's more, you introduced an Antagonist for the arc, which is good. Very good.

I also noticed that you have a new chapter format. It's like on TV, a teaser, title sequence, rest of story. I like it.

OOH. Life and death battles, stupid amounts of power, and a confrontation with the Queen (whoever she is, have we met her already? Don't answer that), all in one chapter. Good thing you told us its the 19th chapter before the end, otherwise I'd accuse you of jumping the gun.

Just kidding.

I'll punch you. >_>

This chapter is good, but it seems to be that time again where it has to be made EXPLICITLY CLEAR how powerful Calion is. I mean, couldn't the others have lent him some power, or something? Maybe not, but it seems a chapter barely goes by without someone being shocked about how powerful he is. Soon you're gonna run out of characters to surprise...

I will say this, you're not wrong.  But Calion's incredible strength is leading to something, I promise.  There's a significant plot element that makes it essential to do it the way I've done it.  He's supposed to be powerful and defy logic, that's the point.  Why?  Well I can't say as that's a major plot point, but from here we're literally just concluding the story; there's not going to be anything new introduced from here on out as we resolve the rest of the plot.  So it'll unfold soon enough; I expect this story to be finished by early April, if all works out.

And thus the Calion vs the Valley of Mist Arc continues, with Calion not only showing off in front of the unbelievers, but breaking himself in while he was at it. What's more, you introduced an Antagonist for the arc, which is good. Very good.

I also noticed that you have a new chapter format. It's like on TV, a teaser, title sequence, rest of story. I like it.

I'm glad the new format went over well.  I think it just makes it a little better in terms of a hook, and I figured why not go with it?  Besides, it lets me recap without taking up episode space if I want to, too.  And the 'Antagonist' for the Arc is not even a major Antagonist in the long run, but, well I don't want to say much else.  

New episode coming very soon!

Brand new Episode here, much longer than usual because I wanted to play out the entire duel in one episode.

Just before anyone mentions it, I'm aware that Leo's effect technically wouldn't activate with Dimensional Fissure on the field.  Just one of those things I did for the sake of the story.  It wasn't really a significant change.

[spoiler=Episode 66: The Royal Palace, Part 1]

He’d been able to maneuver his way throughout the city relatively easily, but that wasn’t his concern.  While he’d made it in, he’d without a doubt alerted the defenses to his arrival.  Whoever this “Queen” was, it was the first time he’d ever heard of her, or it, or whatever, but he had a feeling in some way it connected to Lucien.  It had to, otherwise why would this have happened over the time period that he had been building up his tournament and preparing for his ultimate goal?

That wasn’t what worried him, though.  The matter was once he actually got there, how would he be able to fight?  Whether he liked it or not, he was going to have to rely on dueling to make it through here safely.  Breaking down the Gate had literally taken up all of his remaining energy. This wasn’t some mind trick, it was the real story.  He was out of usable Rakurai.  And unless a miracle happened, it was going to stay that way.  So dueling was his only out.

He’d been in hiding for a while now, a good hour or so, listening to the rambling and raucous of the crowds of people searching for him, or any intruders at all.  At least they didn’t know what he looked like.  That offered some benefits.  But it was at this point he decided it best to make his move.  Standing outside the Palace gates was a lone guard; he looked to be human, but from the distance he was at Calion couldn’t be sure.  He was armed with a spear in one hand and a duel disk in the other.  Admittedly convenient,  but again it tied in further with his speculation that Lucien was involved – somehow.

When the timing was right, he’d have to make a break for it.  If he could get to the Palace gates without being noticed, he could duel his way in.  Winning wouldn’t be much of an issue, right?  His persistence had gotten him this far, anyway.

Episode 66: The Royal Palace, Part 1

It was calm inside the Palace.  The Queen sat atop her throne, embellished with the finest jewels money could buy, and then some.  She had been adjourned with all sorts of expensive decorations and the fanciest clothing, treated like true royalty.  But it was not just in appearance that she brought power; Her Highness was a being like no other – she had been commanded to take over this place and rule it as her own, and in exchange, she would be given limitless power with which to do so.

Servants would answer her beck and call, and the entire population of the Valley of Souls was underneath her fingertips.  Life was good, and everything had been going exactly as planned.  All she had to do was continue to have her fun, enjoying the luxurious gifts and meals the servants would present to her on a daily basis.  They said being a Queen was easy, but they never said it would be this rewarding.

There was a knock at the door.

She knew before the man entered what he was going to say, and had already long-since prepared her response.  After waiting a moment, he creaked the door open, the bright glow of the Valley’s moon illuminating the dimly-lit throne room.  A slim figure walked in, the silence almost overwhelming as he heard nothing but the sounds of his own footsteps.  Surely, he was intimidated by the queen’s presence.

“Your highness, please forgive the interruption,” he spoke, bowing his head so as not to disrespect her.  “But I come bearing urgent news.  You see, about two hours ago an intruder broke into the city limits.  We have reason to believe it’s a single person, but it’s said he broke down the entire Gate on his own power.”  The man’s hands were shaking as he spoke, afraid of the repercussions that might await him.

“Do not fear,” she said much to his surprise.  “I’m already well aware of this.  Of course the armies did not want me to find out for fear of punishment, but I was well aware that this exact situation would be happening.  And I’m more than ready for it.”

“My lady, we believe to have located him, and armies are being sent in now to find and kill the target,” he said, a half-smile indicating at least some confidence in the effort of their decision.  “It should be a matter of time before things are back to normal.”

She shook her head, prompting a frown from the messenger.  “Such a thing is not necessary.  Call off the armies, tell them to retreat and leave the intruder alone.  If I’m to be correct, his goal is to infiltrate the main palace, and that should lead him straight to me.  Allow him to believe he has established the upper hand.”

“But ma’am,” he interjected.  She put her hand up, quickly silencing him.

“Do you dare go against orders?”  A stern, cunning tone carried her voice as she replied.  The man said nothing, simply trembling in fear as he shook his head.  “As I thought.  Now quickly, send an order.  Either he will make it here alive, or he’ll die trying.  Either way, the end result will be the same.  Now see yourself out, I have some preparation to do.”

---

Now was the time.  Hiding behind the walls of an abandoned hut, he waited for the armies to pass, scurrying along in a disorganized fashion.  He looked around and nodded his head.  With no regard for what might be following him, he took off towards the Palace.

It wasn’t long before he reached it, the stone bridge connecting the city to the Palace Gates.  The man standing guard was facing the opposite direction, but he would end up having to get his attention one way or another, so surprise wasn’t exactly his intention.  He didn’t have the time to waste.

With that in mind, as he stepped onto the bridge, he grasped his sword and flung it into the metal guardrail along the sides, purposely making noise to grab the guard’s attention.  He whipped around almost immediately, shocked to see an intruder standing that close; how could he have made it this far without being caught?

It didn’t matter, the guard smiled.  Grabbing this guy would give him the perfect opportunity to move up the totem pole and earn the Queen’s attention.

“You don’t seem all that happy to see me,” Calion said, drawing his duel disk.  The guard must’ve been intelligent, because he quickly put together the challenge without words being spoken.  “Allow me to introduce myself, the name’s Calion.  Now I need to get into this here Palace, and since I’m guessing you’re not going to just step aside and let me in, it looks like we’re going to have to duel.”

“It’s not often an intruder makes it farther than the Gates before they’re killed on the spot,” the guard replied.  He smiled, activating his duel disk and stepping back.  “That must mean you’re a strong one.  I look forward to ending your life then, Calion.  It gets quite boring standing guard when no mortals can survive here.”

Calion smiled, drawing his starting hand.  “You seem quite confident, reminds me of myself, really.  But if you’re really that strong, why don’t you have a higher ranking position?”  The guard scowled, not answering the rhetorical question.

“Think you’re funny kid, let’s see how funny it is when you’re out of Life Points!” He exclaimed.  “I’ll go first!  I activate the Spell Card Dimensional Fissure!”  As if out of thin air, the guard’s Spell Card ripped a hole in the air behind them, opening a portal to another dimension.  “As long as this card’s in play, any time a monster is sent to the Graveyard, my Dimensional Fissure absorbs it instead and takes it out of the game!”

Damnit, that’s not a good start.  Half my Deck is gonna need the Graveyard to function.  Calion swore under his breath, waiting to see the rest of the move.

“Next I’m summoning D.D. Wolf (1200) to the field in attack mode!”  The multi-colored canine materialized on the field, a strange crystal resting on its forehead.  “And he’s got a neat effect, see when D.D. Wolf is called to battle, he gains three-hundred attack points for each D.D. monster on the field, including himself!”  (D.D. Wolf = 1200 + 300 = 1500)

[spoiler=D.D. Wolf]

LV3/DARK

Beast / Tuner

When this card is Normal Summoned: It gains 300 ATK for each “D.D.” monster you control.  When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle: Banish that monster instead of sending it to the Graveyard.

1200/800[/spoiler]

“Then I’ll set one card and end my turn.”

“About time,” Calion exclaimed as he drew his sixth card.  That Dimensional Fissure was going to cause a heck of a lot problems.  But at least he could get Wolf off the field for starters.  “I’m gonna kick things off with Heraldic Beast Unicorn (1800)!”  A psybeam struck the field as the white stallion-like creature took its stance.  “Unicorn, attack his D.D. Wolf with Psychic Aura!”

“Don’t think so,” the guard replied.  “You’ve run right into my Trap Card, Dimensional Prison!”  Pressing the red button on the duel disk, the guard’s Trap revealed itself.  “With this, when your monster declares an attack, I can banish it immediately and my monster is safe from harm!”  Unicorn cried out as it was pulled into the vortex.

I walked right into that one.  Such a careless move.  Calion berated himself.  He was going to have to maintain focus here.  He didn’t have all day for this duel, either.  Soon the armies would catch up to him.  He had to make it quick.  But if he made such foolish mistakes like attacking into a Trap Card, he’d end up losing before he could even do it.  “Fine, I’ll set one card and end.”

“I’ve got to be honest,” the guard returned a malicious smile.  “Of all the intruders I’ve seen, you’ve chosen quite an interesting method.  I’m not sure how you made it this far, but you made no effort to conceal yourself to me.  Could it be you’re just that naïve or do you lack the strength to kill me physically?”

Calion contemplating answering with the truth but sidestepped the question.  “I’d rather leave you guessing.  Either way, a duel can accomplish the same goal without the attention a fight might bring.”  He had to say, though, that something was odd.  Why wouldn’t the guard have alerted others?  They were certainly looking for him earlier, and there must have been some sort of a communication system.  So why not capture him if that was the case?

“I’m not sure I believe you,” the guard retorted.  “But that’s fine.  The duel has already begun, so at this point I don’t need to draw attention to it.  I’ll kill you myself, I’m sure the riches will be great for stopping someone who’s made it this far.”  He grinned.

“But oh well, moving on.  It’s my draw!”  He drew his next card, eyeing it with satisfaction.  “Just what I was hoping for, I’ll summon out D.D. Gazer (1700)!”

[spoiler=D.D. Gazer]

LV4/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 “D.D.” monster you control.  When this card is Special Summoned: Add 1 “D.D.” monster from your Deck to your hand.

1700/900[/spoiler]

“Let’s see how well you like this, D.D. Wolf, attack his Life Points directly with Dimensional Fang!” Leaping skyward, the wolf vanished into the portal that had appeared on the guard’s field.  After a moment, it reappeared on the other side, slashing Calion directly across the shoulder as the Spirit resisted the urge to cry out in pain.

Calion’s LP: 2500

Shit that hurt, and bad.  He didn’t have to look; he could feel that the wolf’s attack had drawn blood.  This was real here.  If he lost, there was no other ‘Valley of Souls’ to go to.  He had to be more careful, but unfortunately his first play had already put him in a shitty spot, and Dimensional Fissure being on the field meant he had no access to the Graveyard, where the Heraldic Beasts would really thrive.

“You look rough, but don’t fade out on me yet, because I’m not done!  D.D. Gazer, strike him directly with Shatter Staff!”  With its moon-inspired design, the warrior’s staff fired a beam of energy at Calion.  If this hit, he’d be low.  But the damage would be even more intense. 

He had to respond in due fashion.  “I can’t let that happen, activate Trap Card Heraldry Charge!”  A Trap Card depicting a beast that had not yet been constructed revealed itself, just in time.  “With this, when you declare a direct attack, I’m able to negate that attack and Special Summon a Heraldic Beast Monster from my hand!  So I’ll bring out Heraldic Beast Aberconway (1800)!”  The crimson-red dragon appeared on the field, seething.

“Looks like you got lucky this time around, but I can tell the damage is already starting to take its toll,” he quipped.  “No one will be entering the Palace, especially not when Lakos the great is the choice of defense!”

Damnit, he’s right.  That attack hurt like hell, but I’m not gonna let it stop me.  I have to find a way to win this duel.  “Draw!”  Calion exclaimed, adding a card to his hand.  There weren’t too many options.  His best bet was to Xyz Summon, but the problem he faced was that once his monsters went to the Graveyard, he’d have no way of getting them back.  Sure he could take out a monster right now, preferably D.D. Wolf, but Lakos’ hand still had a whopping five cards.  That wasn’t a good thing.  But what other choice did he have?  “And I’ll summon Heraldic Beast Berners Falcon (1000)!”

The bird took flight, flapping its wings as it hovered in the air alongside the other monster.  “Since I have two Level 4 monsters on the field now, I can build the Overlay Network and use them to Xyz Summon, Diamond Dire Wolf (2000)!”  The crystal clad wolf took the field in decisive fashion, almost shaking the bridge with its might.  A piercing howl followed.  “Dire Wolf, take out his D.D. Wolf with Diamond Dire Slash!  Show him who the real alpha male is!”

Lakos’ LP: 3500

Minimal in damage, Lakos still felt some significant pain from the attack.  But he laughed it off.  That was a pathetic move, bringing out an Xyz Monster simply because he didn’t have the means to take out his monsters any other way.  Such a predicable strategy.

“I guess all I’ve got left to do is throw down a face-down and end my turn,” Calion sighed.

“Brilliant, just as I figured you’d do!  And now it’s my move,” Lakos slammed a monster card onto the duel disk as a tortoise with a crystal shell appeared on the field.  “And I summon Different Dimension Tortoise (700)!”

[spoiler=Different Dimension Tortoise]

LV3/WATER

Reptile / Effect

This card is also treated as a “D.D.” monster.  Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; banish 1 “D.D.” monster from your Deck.  During your End Phase: You can Tribute this card to target 1 banished “D.D.” monster, except “Different Dimension Tortoise”; Special Summon that target.

700/2000[/spoiler]

“I’m aware it doesn’t look like much, but Different Dimension Tortoise has an ability that makes it more than worth the while,” he explained, sending a Spell Card from his hand to the Graveyard.  Calion couldn’t quite see what it was.  “By discarding a card, I’m able to banish a monster from my Deck, and during the End Phase, I’ll be able to bring it back to the field!  So prepare yourself, D.D. Exploder!”

Calion felt a strange presence as the turtle’s effect took hold.  Looking over his hand, in truth, there weren’t many plays he could make at all.  If his opponent was somehow able to get over his Diamond Dire Wolf, he’d be out of options.  The Spell Card ‘Advanced Heraldry Art’ in his hand was his only hope, but without access to a Graveyard, it was absolutely useless.  He began to wonder...was Shinjome right?  Had he rushed into this?  Only trying to do what he had to in order to save his friends, but in doing so he might have jeopardized everyone.

“I can see you’re struggling with your confidence,” Lakos replied with a slight laugh.  “Let me try and make it easier, you see D.D. Exploder isn’t just a normal monster.  Once he’s brought out to the field, if you remove him in any way, his ability kicks in, destroying every card on the field at once!  Even if your Diamond Dire Wolf takes him down, you’ll lose everything in the process!”

“No...this can’t be,” Calion said, his fists trembling.  This was all a set-up.  He’d realized it now.  They wanted him to get to this point unharmed.  The armies purposely avoided him, knowing he’d walk straight into a duel that he had no chance of winning.  But how...how could they have known he was coming?  What kind of power was he up against here?  “I’ve walked right into a trap!”

Lakos laughed uproariously.  It was all coming together now.  “And to think it took you this long to realize it!  You believe you’re powerful, Calion.”  He said, laughing once more, as the Spirit’s shock was furthered by hearing the sound of his own name from the guard’s mouth.  “You ignored the advice of the only people on the outside who could’ve helped you and now you’ll die for your ignorance!”

Damnit, what could he do?  If he lost, it was all over.  And even if he decided not to attack with Dire Wolf, D.D. Exploder could just ram itself into the Xyz on his next turn.  Maybe...maybe he could make a defensive play instead.  Or at least try and take down the other one.  He had to.

“I end my turn, and that means D.D. Exploder will take the place of Different Dimension Tortoise!”  His doubt is strong, I will crush him and the Queen will be forced to recognize my value.

[spoiler=D.D. Exploder]

LV5/DARK

Machine / Effect

Cannot Special Summoned (from your hand or Graveyard).  When this face-up card you control is banished: Destroy all cards on the field.  Then, your opponent draws 2 cards.  You cannot declare an attack or Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn this effect is activated.

1800/300[/spoiler]

“Here goes,” Calion drew, not so sure of himself anymore.  Was this the end?  No...he couldn’t afford to doubt himself.  It was the same mistake that had cost him against Unos...and that had gotten him here.  He had to stay strong, no matter what.  Just like he’d proved to Shinjome that he could break down the Gate, he had to win this duel!

“Sweet, just what I needed!”  He slammed the card onto his duel disk, as a lion-warrior with a luscious golden mane that matched the armor protecting its body appeared on the field.  “Heraldic Beast Leo (2000)!”  Now was the time to kick into action.  “Here’s where I activate Diamond Dire Wolf’s special ability!  By detaching an Overlay Unit, I can target a monster on each side of the field and destroy that target!  On my own field, I’ll target Dire Wolf, and on yours...I’ll target D.D. Exploder.”

“What why?!”  Lakos locked eyes; why would he summon Leo before using the effect!  He was destroying himself in the process!

With a swipe of its razor sharp claws, Dire Wolf pulled both Exploder and itself into the portal, but not before Exploder blew itself up, destroying everything else on the field as both duelists shielded themselves from the aftermath.  “This worked out excellently, didn’t it?”

“I don’t get it, why you would summon Leo knowing it was going to be destroyed!”  Lakos asked.

Pressing the red button on his duel disk, Calion shuffled through his Deck and grabbed a card, adding it to his hand.  “Specifically because I needed to use Leo’s special ability.  And it was this effect that’s going to allow me to win the game, see.  When Heraldic Beast Leo is destroyed, I can add another Heraldic Beast monster from my Deck to my hand!”

The monster he’d chosen was Heraldic Beast Eale.  Time to pull off a combo he hadn’t in a while.  “As much as I may have been rash, as much as I may have made stupid decisions up to this point, I’ve done it all because I know it’s what I have to do.  And that’s why I have to win this duel!  So watch as I activate the Spell Card Advanced Heraldry Art!”

Since the Overlay Units attached to Diamond Dire Wolf go to the Graveyard instead of being banished by Dimensional Fissure, he did in fact have access to two monsters from his Graveyard – Aberconway and Berners Falcon.  But that alone wouldn’t win him the game.  The field was empty.  A second portal opened on the field as Aberconway and Berners Falcon reared their heads, ready for battle.  “Since I control two Heraldic Beast monsters now, I can Special Summon Heraldic Beast Eale (1000) from my hand as well!  And with 3 Level 4 monsters out, I can build the Overlay Network to Xyz Summon!”

No way, don’t tell me he’s got a play that can win him the game... Lakos trailed off in thought.

“From three comes one, the power of the ancient beasts brings forth a new monster!  Heraldic Beast Wind-Scythe (2400)!”  Clad in a metallic silver armor, the human-sized warrior materialized on the field, wielding a scythe made out of Leo’s armor, with the design of Aberconway’s wings on the top.  It stood tall, the emblem of the Heraldic crests glowing on its back. 

[spoiler=Heraldic Beast Wind-Scythe]

RK4/WIND

3 Level 4 “Heraldic Beast” monsters

Must be Special Summoned by Xyz Summon and cannot be Summoned by other ways.  Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and if you do; this card can attack twice during each Battle Phase this turn.  If this card would be destroyed: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from it instead.

2400/2000[/spoiler]

“I think the rest speaks for itself!  I won’t let you win!”  One of three units was absorbed into the warrior’s scythe.  “Because by using an overlay unit, Wind-Scythe can attack twice this turn!  I’m not sure how good your math is, but that’s more than enough to end it!  Go Air Blade Cutter!”

Lakos’ LP: 0

---

He didn’t like to have to do it, but there was no other choice.  Almost instantly as the attack struck, Lakos screeched in pain before vanishing entirely, leaving nothing but his Deck and duel disk on the bridge.

As for Calion, he was breathing heavy and his shoulder wasn’t in great shape, but he was fine.  He had won.  But it was close, and he’d almost allowed himself to fall into the same trap he did against Unos.  He could sense it, though.  The Spirital was inside the Palace, of which he’d now been able to gain entry.

It was a setup, they knew he was coming, but he had no other choice.

He had to go in and retrieve it.

Things are heating up in the Valley, I see. Calion's going straight for the Queen, who apparently has a trap of her own in place for when he arrives. They must have some intel on who he is and what he's doing, since the guard knew his name, so that'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Nice to see that you've powered down Calion a bit in this chapter, too. You have a bit of a power creep sometimes, with characters becoming more and more powerful as the story goes on, so this was a welcome change. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the duel, too. It was a bit short, but enjoyable.

Keeping our discussions in mind, the upcoming chapters should be very interesting, and I look forward to reading them.

Archived