[LOCK PLEASE] [The Final Episode] Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel: Episode 74/75: The Ultimate End Game

Synchronized

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1346030960' post='6013667']
This hasn't really felt like a filler arc to me. It's felt just as part of the story. Kinda like bits in games where the character reveals the past, but not a filler ssince its still connected quite a bit.
[/quote]

Well, the way it's looking right now, there's no way I'm going to finish this story before Episode 50, and that's crazy, but the progress I've made so far is way beyond what I was expecting to, so that's a plus.

[spoiler=Episode 22: Corrupted by Darkness, Part One]

In a fit of rage, distraught by his own failure, Hayate dropped to his knees, reaching for something to grab onto as the energy from Hiyoru’s sword coursed throughout his body in the span of a second. Moving even the slightest amount was impossible with the significant amounts of damage his vital organs had taken from the attack.

“Master Hayate!” Kimora rushed to his aid, flustered. It was clear she had no idea how to react, but she knew she had to do something. “Are you alright?!”

“I’ll answer that question for you,” Hiyoru interjected. “Once my move takes effect, it literally slices through each and every one of his vital organs, killing him instantly. Of course, if someone like Hayate were to survive this technique, I wouldn’t be surprised. But to say it won’t render him relatively useless for a lengthy period of time is very accurate.”

“He’s right,” Hayate said, on all fours as he attempted to somehow subdue the pain from within. “Such a technique isn’t even close to strong enough to kill me, but the fact that I somehow allowed myself to be caught by such a move is going to be a pain in the ass. I’m not going to be able to do much of anything for a while, Kimora. You will have to take care of him.”

“As you wish, Master Hayate,” the girl nodded.

Hiyoru shook his head. “No offense to you, but I refuse to fight with a lady, no matter the circumstances.”

“If you underestimate me and treat me as though I’m not on your level, you will be sorry!” Kimora held her left arm outwards, as a stream of blue particles began to materialize around her until a holster appeared around her waist. From it, she unsheathed a long sword, about double the length of the blade created from Hiyoru’s 1st Stage. “For what you have done to Master Hayate, I will kill you, I swear this!”

“Have you not taught her the basic rules of battle?” Hiyoru shook his head once more. “To so carelessly draw your weapon without even taking a good chance to evaluate your enemy’s skills. It is reasons like this that I refuse to fight with you. But I commend your efforts; try and strike me, if you wish.”

“Do not insult my training; you will see just how strong I really am!” Kimora lashed out, swinging wildly with the blade, missing every time as Hiyoru simply dodged in the opposite direction. Her aim was terrible, and it appeared that she could barely control the weapon she was holding.

[i]She’s absolutely terrible with that weapon. It’s likely that even if I stood still and let her try to hit me, she’d miss.[/i] Hiyoru continued to dodge, careful not to let himself get confident, just in case it was a trick or strategy of some kind. He had considered the possibility that maybe she was just trying to throw him off, but such a thing was made impossible by the fact that she could hardly even hold it. [i]I could make just one strike and take her out completely, but I won’t strike her. Not when I know that somehow, he’s controlling her actions. She’s being influenced by Hayate and not necessarily acting on her own accord. It was bad enough I had to kill the other one; I won’t be forced to do the same thing twice.[/i]

“I don’t understand what is going on, how are you able to dodge all of my moves so effortlessly?” She asked, making Hiyoru wonder whether or not she realized how poorly her battle skills were. Whatever influences she was under in regards to Hayate would lead her to fight no matter what, that much she had made clear. But would she fight such a battle even if it meant she’d be killed? If so, why do so much for someone who was just using her? Hiyoru suppressed his anger. To see Hayate doing things like this, after everything that had happened...

“The fact of the matter is, you’re obviously very inexperienced when it comes to combat,” Hiyoru explained, continuing to dodge. “I can’t fight you knowing this, because I don’t believe it would be a fair fight.” She swung once more; Hiyoru decided to react. He leapt upwards, driving his right foot into the center of the sword and kicking it out of the girl’s hands completely. Kimora had no chance to react. She fell over from the impact of the attack.

“Who...what are you?” She asked. “I’ve never seen someone with such immaculate fighting ability. The way you are able to fight, it is beyond that of a human. Even the way you were able to take down Master Hayate...”

“I’m guessing Hayate has chosen to withhold such information from you, not that I should be surprised by such a thing,” Hiyoru said. “My name is Hiyoru Tsukishido. I am part of an organization known as the Hyakurai (hundred thunder claps). We are, or should I say were, an elite group of warriors whose sole purpose was to protect those that were affected by the Rakurai. Rakurai, literally “Thunderbolt”, is the source from which our energy is drawn. It is a source of power, the existence of which is unexplained, but several thousand warriors have gained powers from it. The Hyakurai were among the first to have discovered such power, and thus arrangements were made to “watch over” the younger ones who had yet to develop it.”

“Is that where your abilities come from?” She asked.

“It is. My powers and the powers of the other Hyakurai are far greater than those of the younger generation. Because of the immense amounts of energy we have built up inside, there is virtually no comparison between our powers.”

“That can’t be true...” Kimora said, refusing to believe his words. “You’re lying! Master Hayate has told me everything, and I know what you’re saying is untrue!”

“I don’t expect you to believe me,” Hiyoru said. “That wasn’t the point. I can sense that you have this power inside of you as well; Hayate’s goal is to awaken it, for whatever reason I’m not sure. See, Hyakurai disbanded many years ago, until the remaining three members were stationed here on this island.”

“Are you saying…?” Kimora cut herself off. Was Master Hayate a part of this?

“Yes. Believe it or not, Hayate and I used to be close friends,” Hiyoru sighed. “One day, something inside him changed, and things between us gradually fell apart. Eventually, he became obsessed with the powers of the Rakurai, and developed into this being you see in front of you now.”

“So the energy inside of me, and that of the others…it’s called the Rakurai?” Perhaps he was getting through to her after all. Finally beginning to understand the depth of the situation, it appeared the real Kimora was beginning to reveal herself. “Which is the source of all these abilities?”

“Exactly, and from what I’ve gathered, Hayate plans to use those of you who have these powers but have yet to develop them fully to create an ultimate fighting machine. Clearly you can see you’re just the next test subject in a line of pawns, right?”

The girl began to fight back tears, as she appeared to struggle with control of her own emotions. Everything she was hearing sounded true, but to believe Hayate to be such a cruel man, it just broke her heart. It couldn’t be, not the one who had done everything within his power to help her succeed as a duelist. She couldn’t abandon him now…the enemy was just trying to throw her off her game. That’s all it was. All this talk about unleashing some power, whether it was true or not; that’s not what really mattered. She looked back at Hayate, who could barely function, leaning against the remains of a tree from the earlier fight. “If you won’t fight me, then perhaps you will duel me. I will do whatever I must to fulfill Master Hayate’s wishes.”

[i]A duel?[/i] “I’m not exactly fond of the idea, but at least, a duel would not result in the loss of the lives of either of us. I must warn you though, agreeing to this duel is my official warning; I will not hold back. While I am not as skilled a duelist as I am a warrior, you should be aware that due to both of us possessing the power of the Rakurai, this duel will be handled with real life force.” [i]She’s prepared to fight to the death for him...I must defeat her and break whatever control he’s got her under. I can’t do that through violence, but with a duel, I might be able to do that. Wait, I don’t even have a damn duel dis[/i][i]k.[/i]

“A duel it is, then. It looks like we’ve got a field right here, so there shouldn’t be much need to go anywhere else,” she said. “Besides, that way I can keep an eye on Master Hayate. Now then, don’t you have a duel disk?”

“Thanks for your concern; you don’t have to worry about me. [i]{Hayai-Genkaku; Rapid Illusion}[/i].” Drawing in energy from the remains of life around him, a duel disk materialized around Hiyoru’s right arm. [i]To have to use my illusion technique and waste energy just to generate a damn duel disk...I just can’t catch a break today.[/i]

“Dueling me will prove to be such a mistake; you would have been better off killing me while you had the chance,” Kimora activated her duel disk, the normal white with outlines of black on the edges, as both players took a step back. “I was caught off guard once in my duel with Kiryu, and even though you are his mentor, I assure you, I will not allow myself to lose twice. Master Hayate has risked everything to get me to this point and no matter what, I can’t let him down.”

“Understood,” Hiyoru replied. “As long as you’re aware that, unfortunately, I have no choice but to win and can do nothing but hope you will be physically strong enough to survive the toll that this duel will take on you.”

“Let’s begin, then.”

---

“I’ll make the first move, and I’ll do so by calling out Spellbook Magician of Prophecy!” She exclaimed as a mid-sized human, clad in blue robes and holding an intricately designed book in his right hand, appeared on the field, causing a light to release from the book as he did so. “And thanks to my Magician’s effect, when he’s Normal Summoned, I can take a ‘Spellbook’ Spell Card from my Deck and add it to my hand.”

[spoiler=Spellbook Magician of Prophecy]
**/WATER
Spellcaster / Effect
When this card is Normal or Flip Summoned: You can add 1 “Spellbook” Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.
500/400[/spoiler]

[i]That’s right; she’s playing Hayate’s old Deck. I’m assuming since he’s taught her, the playing style should be very similar. Should make it easier.[/i] Hiyoru did his best to avoid showing emotion one way or another; whether or not Kimora was aware of his knowledge on the Deck could be the deciding factor in gaining the upper hand.

“So, I’ll add Spellbook of Secrets from my Deck to my hand,” she said, placing the card amongst the other five she was already holding. “Next, I’ll play one card face-down, and end my turn.”

“Alright then, I’m probably a bit rusty, but let’s see what I can do,” Hiyoru drew a card. [i]I’m guessing that the face-down is a ‘Spellbook’ Spell Card, but I can’t be too sure of which one. After all, one of Hayate’s ace plays was the ‘Spellbook of Wisdom’, which granted immunity to either Spells or Traps for a turn. Oh well, I’ll have to get rid of it regardless.[/i] “This seems like a reasonable choice. Activate, Charge of the Light Brigade.”

[spoiler=Charge of the Light Brigade]
Normal Spell Card
Send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard. Then, add 1 Level 4 or lower “Lightsworn” monster from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

“This Spell Card forces me to take three cards from the top of my Deck and place them in the Graveyard,” Hiyoru explained as he did just that. “But then, I can take a monster from my Deck and add it to my hand. Given that I’m not sure what your face-down is, I’d like to believe Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress is the best option.”

“Wow, to waste resources just on the off chance that the face-down could be an issue?” Kimora asked. “I guess you were right; dueling isn’t your strong point.”

“Oh really?” Hiyoru asked, not convinced. “A bit early to be acting confident, don’t you think? Anyway, I’m going to let that one slide, because now, I activate the Spell Card Solar Recharge, and with this, by sending the monster I just added to my hand to the Graveyard, I can draw two new cards, provided I send the top two cards of my Deck to the Graveyard after that.”

[spoiler=Solar Recharge]
Normal Spell Card
Discard 1 “Lightsworn” monster; draw 2 cards, then send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

“Now then, I guess we can begin the duel.”

“What do you mean by that?” Kimora rose her eyebrow, confused and somewhat irritated by the statement.

“I mean, I can actually do some damage. Sheesh, if another duel takes six chapters to write, I’m convinced the last couple of readers we have will storm away with rage.” Hiyoru smirked. “So, I can’t afford to waste any time. Now, the powers of light and darkness combine, banishing souls of good and evil to create the ultimate balance! Come forth, Lightpulsar Dragon!”

As the sorceress and a DARK creature vaguely resembling a puddle were swallowed by a light, symmetrical pillars of energy, one white and one black, appeared side by side, slowly compressing until they were the size of a pair of wings, expanding forth from a roaring dragon, white and blue in color, which descended down upon the field with great might. It roared, releasing a sound wave that caused Kimora to shield her face and her eyes from the pure force behind it.

“What the hell is that thing?!” She asked, rhetorically.

“I could explain, but it might be easier to just let my dragon do the talking.” He said. “Lightpulsar Dragon, attack with Twilight Nova!”

[b]To be continued...[/spoiler][/b]

So its Prophecy Vs Chaos Dragons... Hmmm.

At last we have a relatively definative explanation for the magic. Always a nice thing. I have to say, I found Hayate a bit disapointing. I understand his internal organs have suffered a lot of damage, but if he is strong enough jsut to fall to the ground in lots of pain, eh should be able to do soemthing back.

Though K sucking was a ncie touch, not to many super powered swordmasters is good. And break the 4th wall much?

As ever, it was pretty damn good, although... I think I can guess who wins.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1346181488' post='6014756']
So its Prophecy Vs Chaos Dragons... Hmmm.

[i]Pretty much...obviously due to Kimora's ongoing appearances in the series going forward, the Prophecies will be much more relevant later on, whereas Hiyoru will say his last goodbyes at Season's end, more than likely going to have Chaos Dragons go all out here.[/i]

At last we have a relatively definative explanation for the magic. Always a nice thing. I have to say, I found Hayate a bit disapointing. I understand his internal organs have suffered a lot of damage, but if he is strong enough jsut to fall to the ground in lots of pain, eh should be able to do soemthing back.

[i]The powers will make more sense (I feel like I say that a lot) once we get back to the main story, with Season 3; I've already started preparing it, just have to finish up this season, which should end rather smoothly with only a few episodes left. Hayate, however, while I can't say too much, is not done yet, per se. For the most part, he's finished for the Season, but I do intend for him to be a more important character down the home stretch.[/i]

Though K sucking was a ncie touch, not to many super powered swordmasters is good. And break the 4th wall much?

[i]Breaking the fourth wall? Whatever do you mean, good sir? ;][/i]

As ever, it was pretty damn good, although... I think I can guess who wins.
[/quote]

Thanks again man! I've gotta catch up on your story later tonight, as well!

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Episode 23: Corrupted by Darkness, Part Two - 1

“Don’t think you’ve got me that easily,” Kimora replied as the card behind her Spellbook Magician revealed itself. “I predicted you’d attack, and so I set this card, Magical Dimension. With it, by sending Spellbook Magician to the Graveyard, I can target a monster on your field and destroy it immediately.”

[spoiler=Magical Dimension]
Quick-Play Spell Card
Tribute 1 Spellcaster-Type monster to target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it, then Special Summon 1 Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand.[/spoiler]

Despite losing a powerful monster the same turn he’d brought it out, Hiyoru showed no signs of disappointment. The dragon, on the other hand, was helpless as it was encased by a spell-prison, causing it to explode. Soon after the smoke cleared, a new monster, a familiar sight from Kiryu’s first duel with Kimora, appeared on the field.

“Now then, since my Magical Dimension has resolved, I call Amores of Prophecy to the field, in defense mode.” Sporting more of a getup, and definitely a more intimidating figure, Kimora’s new monster took precedence on the field.

“So you’re done then?” Hiyoru asked, as a portal opened up at his feet, one which Kimora had not noticed until just now. She opened her eyes wide. “Good, I take it by the look on your face that you’re wondering what’s going on here. Since you destroyed my Lightpulsar Dragon, you’ve activated its special ability, one that allows me to revive a Dragon-Type monster from my Graveyard straight to the field!”

“That’s impossible,” she said. “You don’t have any monsters in your Graveyard!” But then she remembered. [i]Hold on a second...those two Spell Cards he used. I dismissed them as just a means to refresh his hand, but was he really doing it to set up his Graveyard for a bigger play? There’s no way I just walked into another trap. I can’t afford to keep playing like this![/i]

[i]Yes...let the rage consume you…[/i]

“What?” Kimora thought she heard something. She looked around, wondering aloud, but there was nothing there but the sight she had just seen seconds ago. “So you caught me off guard. It doesn’t matter; bring out whatever you want, I’ll be sure to take it down.”

“A welcome challenge,” Hiyoru placed a monster card onto his duel disk, as a monstrous dragon covered in a metallic substance, just its wings larger than Kimora’s new monster. “Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, come forth!”

[spoiler=Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon]
***********/DARK
Dragon / Effect
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 Dragon-Type monster you control. Once per turn, you can target 1 Dragon-Type monster in your hand or Graveyard; Special Summon that target.
2800/2400[/spoiler]

“It’s going to take more than that to defeat me,” Kimora exclaimed, maintaining her composure as she looked over her hand, attempting to find a potential out. She wouldn’t let him know it, but the dragon being as strong as it was definitely posed a problem. “I take it you’re finished since you’ve already attacked, so end your turn already.”

Hiyoru grinned; he wasn’t done just yet. “Not sure what the rush is; in fact, due to the damaging nature of such a duel I’d prefer not to hurry to the part where you’re inevitably hurt. However, if you’re not going to let up, I’ll just get going. Since Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon is on my field, I can activate its Special Ability.”

[i]That thing has an effect too?![/i]

“Part of the reason I was hesitant to accept this duel, is because with no ego or confidence intended, the two of us are on entirely different levels when it comes to this game.” Hiyoru said. “I no longer duel for fun, due to the nature of my Rakurai; the injury and harm that is almost always inflicted to an opponent is not worth the “game” that comes along with it. Have you ever stopped to consider why duelists like Hayate and myself are “Scouters” for the Pro Leagues as opposed to people dueling within them? Our abilities are too great; we put others at risk simply by dueling and it is for that reason we take refuge here, on this island, where we can train others without having to risk hurting innocent bystanders or duelists.”

“I’m not sure I understand the point of you telling me this,” she replied. “We’re already dueling; it’s too late to back out now.”

Hiyoru shook his head. “You’re right; you don’t understand. What I am trying to convey to you is that statistically, you have less than a two-percent chance of defeating me. I have mastered this game and the ways in which it works, to the point where I could more than likely win a duel without having to look at my cards at all. The problem is, while I need to keep you at bay, I’m not going to be able to win this duel, because I will not allow myself to go against what I am meant to protect.”

“Don’t treat me as though I need protecting, I am a perfectly capable duelist! I assure you if you don’t try your hardest to defeat me, you will meet an unpleasant fate!”

“Heh,” Hiyoru smirked.

“What’s so funny?”

“You just don’t get it,” Hiyoru replied, a stern look in his eyes. “Once you realize you can’t defeat me, you’ll have no option but to surrender, of course why would you want to continue a losing battle when you have no chance of striking my Life Points at all. That way, we avoid any physical harm to you, and at the same time hopefully show you that Hayate is using you to fight a battle that he stands no chance of winning unless he does the fighting himself.”

There was a brief silence among them for a moment, and Kimora turned her attention to Hayate. He was still leaning against the tree, barely moving, but his eyes were open as he watched the duel play out. Secretly, she was hoping for a sign of acknowledgement or something, but he offered nothing of the sort.

“I’ll demonstrate, as the effect of Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon allows me to Special Summon Lightpulsar Dragon back to the field!” Kimora cringed as the familiar sight of the somewhat smaller, though still quite fierce, creature was once again evident.

“Damnit,” she drove her foot into the dirt. “Regardless of which one I destroy, he’ll always end up with both monsters back on the field. It’s a lose-lose situation.”

“I think you’re good to go.”[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][i]The problem is, not only does he have a lock, he’s got two huge monsters on the field. It doesn’t matter what I do to take it down, because he’ll only bring them both back. Hm...[/i] “I’ll begin then, by sending Amores of Prophecy to the Graveyard in order to Summon Emperor of Prophecy!”[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]F[/font][/size][size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]rom the ground below, a golden light swallowed the Amores, causing a new, more empowered figure to take its place. This new warrior was clad in a unique garment, with golden armor covering it. Along with a golden staff, symbolizing its power and royalty.

[spoiler=Emperor of Prophecy]
*****/DARK
Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Spellbook" Spell Card from your Graveyard to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; take control of it until the End Phase. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.
2300/2000[/spoiler]

[i]s***, I was hoping I’d be able to avoid her bringing this out so soon. Figures that she’d have it...the similarities between the way her and Hayate duel are incredible.[/i] Hiyoru racked his mind for answers. In their conversation earlier, Hayate explained that in order for Kimora’s true power to be brought out, she would have to be brought to the limit in a duel. While Kiryu had defeated her, he had done it in such time that there was no time for that to happen. She didn’t actually fight back. That was the reason he wanted to avoid doing damage, if at all possible. Unfortunately, with this new monster, he wasn’t going to have much of a choice. Until he knew Kiryu’s whereabouts, he had to stay alive.

“I just panicked, there’s no reason to worry, for with my Emperor’s ability, by banishing Spellbook of Secrets from my Graveyard, I can take control of your Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon!” A purple aura surrounded the dragon, and despite its efforts to break free, it was pulled over to Kimora’s field. “Like you said earlier, let’s not waste time! Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, destroy his Lightpulsar Dragon with Inferno Metallic Blaze!”

A fireball with sweltering intensity, the dragon’s attack flew straight towards the smaller dragon; Hiyoru’s only defense, no less. “I really would have preferred to avoid this; damnit. Eh, whatever.” He placed a card from his hand into the Graveyard, and a winged angel appeared before the Lightpulsar Dragon. In a flash of light, the angel vanished, and that same light became a coating around the dragon. Folding its wings together to form a spiral, the dragon sliced through the fireball with ease, before hitting the giant metal dragon itself.

[b]Kimora’s Life Points:[/b] 1500

“What the hell just happened?!” In a fit of rage, Kimora flung her arm outwards, nearly losing the duel disk in the process. As the dragon struck her next, she was sent flying, landing a few steps in front of Hayate, who continued to show no emotion. “My…body…I can barely…”

Hiyoru was visibly shaken by the scene as the girl looked towards her mentor, who she was fighting for, only to be shown nothing. He showed no concern for her well-being, no appreciation for her willingness to fight for him, no matter what. There was a tear in her eye, which spoke more than just volumes. As it slowly streamed down the side of her cheek, nearly striking the dirt below, it felt like an explosion; a combination of abandonment and the desire for recognition.

“Master Hayate...” She called out to him. “What is this pain? It doesn’t feel like a physical pain...something inside me, it hurts so badly. It’s like it’s tugging at my heart and pulling me in five different directions at once. I feel like I can’t even stand up...is this failure?”

“...” Hayate simply stared, as though he was going to say something, but did not. “You must get back up and fight, or else you are truly not worth it.”

“But...” Tears continued to roll down her face. “Master Hayate!”

“Damn you, Hayate!” Hiyoru screamed. “Using these people as pawns when all they wish to do is fight for you! How can you be such a cold-hearted person, to stray away from what we were supposed to protect?! I can’t let this duel go on like this; I refuse to hurt her any further! Not when she has no idea what she’s fighting for!”

“Don’t you understand, Hiyoru?” Hayate looked up, maintaining the blank expression on his face, but speaking in a tone that was quite different. “This is how it has to be. The girl’s power...it’s far too great to not make full use of. She will be the one to finally accomplish the goal I’ve set, and together we will be stronger than anyone has ever imagined.”

“Not this time,” Hiyoru replied. In seconds, his body became surrounded by a veil of light green energy, moving at a rapid pace along his body.

“What are you...” Hayate asked in disbelief. “You can’t be planning on using such a technique here!”

“If this duel is allowed to continue this way,” Hiyoru explained, hesitating, “She will lose the last of her morality and I cannot allow that to happen.”

“Don’t you dare think about using something like that here!” Hayate began to stand-up, his eyes lined with desperation.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]"{2nd Stage: Reikon-chouin Shuukan; Soul-Sealing Prison}" The earth at their feet began to shake as Hiyoru pressed his palms together, causing the energy surrounding him to multiply at exponential rates, until he was barely visible from the force behind it. Cracking slowly, the ground they were standing on became isolated from the surrounding area, as the energy began to move, forming a circle around them. The pressure in the air was intense, and any remaining trees were quickly disposed of, being ripped straight out of the ground. Hayate had to form a shield around himself to prevent being blown away, but with his injuries, even that was difficult.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][i]I didn't expect that he would use such a technique out in the open, given the incredible strength behind it. Is he this serious about protecting the boy?...[/i] So much had happened between the three of them years ago, but even Hayate knew that Hiyoru had taken it harder than the rest of them. As the Guardians of those with the ability to use the Rakurai, it was their responsibilty to train and tutor their students to utilize and control such power.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]- - -[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]About seventeen years ago, when they first began this endeavor, joining the Hyakurai and being given the first students whom they were to work with and protect at all costs, the three of them had been given one apprentice each. These were the best of the best, picked with great time, caution, and consideration. Hiyoru's student was a man by the name of Kiosuke. A young prospect who had stood out amongst his peers, and in training, had already begun to utilize his powers quite well. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Hiyoru's somewhat calm, cool personality had always been a part of him, causing him to never show much interest in anything in order to get his students to focus on training and training alone. Showing interest or applause would only cause them to be distracted, and slip up, and something like that was not worth the risk. Kisouke's abilities stemmed from the element of fire; the ability to utilize and control various aspects of it. They trained day at night, but their personalities couldn't have been farther apart.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Kiosuke was friendly, outgoing, and in general just loved people and interacting with them. He never let his powers make him feel like an outcast, and he always swore he would use them solely to protect the people he loved. Yet, no matter how hard he trained to excel as a fighter, Hiyoru never showed him even the slighest ounce of approval. He claimed it didn't matter, and that he would continue to fight and hone his skills, but eventually, even the rest of the Hyakurai could tell that it was beginning to get to him. He started to slip up, and his skills became quite sloppy.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]No one could figure out whether or not Hiyoru knew the effects that his actions were having on his subordinate or if he really thought what he was doing for the best, but one day, things went downhill. The Hyakurai were attacked by a group of rogues from an outside village, right here on this island. Hiyoru was the first to go into battle, and was single-handedly able to take out eighty percent of the attackers. But eventually the numbers caught up to him, and he fell wounded from a technique no one had ever seen before. Even today, new abilities and techniques are being discovered and utilized, and with the Hyakurai no longer existent, it is impossible to break down and assess such things.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]It was then that Kiosuke came to his mentor's aid, catching everyone off guard. He tore through the invaders like nothing, surprising Hiyoru more than anyone else. It was then, in a time of weakness and despair, that he realized the effects his training and methods had instilled upon Kiosuke. Then and there he wanted to apologize, but knew such a thing was not possible. The leader of the rogue group had managed to fend-off Kiosuke's attacks, and when he tried to finish off Hiyoru, Kiosuke intervened to take the hit himself.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]He died instantly, but not without realizing that he had finally accomplished the goal of earning Hiyoru's recognition and fulfilling his promise to protect those he cared most about. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]It had never gone away. For years Hiyoru went into hiding, refusing to take on any newcomers for fear of allowing them to meet the same fate that Kiosuke had. It wasn't until just one year ago that he had agreed to take Kiryu under his wing, albeit hesitantly, due to persistance from the Pro Leagues. He thought that perhaps doing so would allow him to focus his attention on something different and since the Hyakurai and the associated powers were not involved, there was very little risk.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]This was, until it was revealed to him by a Hidden Messenger that Kiryu was being targeted just as well, and that he did in fact have these abilities. Hiyoru knew that if he could get Kiryu to the Pro Leagues and away from all of this before he realized that the power of the Rakurai was within him, he could save his life and save him the trouble of fighting. That was an oath he took to protect and save him, no matter what.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]- - -[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]"I've always viewed the Rakurai and the powers that come with it as nothing more than a burden," Hiyoru said. "If this power had never existed, far less lives would have been lost due to it. I might have been able to live a normal life, and I would have never had to face such hardships. But it's not about me anymore."[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Kimora looked around her; the visual of such power was overwhelming. She could barely move, but somehow things felt different inside the barrier. Hayate was on the outside while her and Hiyoru stood inside it. The duel disk on her arm had vanished, and she felt the pain inside her body ease up only slightly.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]"Reikon-chouin Shuukan takes every ounce of energy within the user's body and releases it outwards, leaving only for me to talk and breathe at a normal rate. Otherwise, everything you see around you is the energy normally stored inside my body. Maybe now you'll understand better what I said when I explained that we're on entirely different levels." He took a deep breath. "But, while the technique takes ninety-eight percent of my energy, it takes one-hundred percent of yours, and seals it away for seventy-two hours. It renders your body completely useless. You won't die, but this duel will not continue, as neither of us have the necessary strength to continue."[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]To be continued...[/b][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]NEXT TIME![/b]: With only two episodes remaining until the end of the Season, Hiyoru has managed to put an abrupt stop to the duel using nearly all of his power, to prevent Kimora from being killed by the force of his Rakurai. But, doing so leaves him completely powerless as well. Now that Hayate has had time to recover, does saving Kimora mean Hiyoru has given up his own life in the process? What will happen as Season 2 nears its close?![/font][/size]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Episode 24: I Will Protect You![/font][/size]

Oh Honest, one of the origional, and still one of the greatest Hand traps.

So K has done slightly better. Actually using a coherant strategy. Which I enjoy.

Umm, impending doom is always an enjoyable way to end a chapter. I can only assume and hope explosions are coming. Becuase fire is pretty....

And well, K survives... so that means this technique fails, or... she does some kinda Ninja move to escape. Look forward to reading the next one tomorrow. As ever, good man.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1346351354' post='6016121']
Oh Honest, one of the origional, and still one of the greatest Hand traps.

So K has done slightly better. Actually using a coherant strategy. Which I enjoy.

Umm, impending doom is always an enjoyable way to end a chapter. I can only assume and hope explosions are coming. Becuase fire is pretty....

And well, K survives... so that means this technique fails, or... she does some kinda Ninja move to escape. Look forward to reading the next one tomorrow. As ever, good man.
[/quote]

Actually, I posted that without the end, for some reason. There's another half-a-chapter that I meant to add to the end of that. It's all good now. :D

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1346356924' post='6016184']
O.O

NO EXPLOSIONS. Why? I thought for a minute when he was describing it that he was doing a Galbatorix.

umm... So yeah, I've done me comments. just saying... Explosions. Becuase fire is pretty. Also becuase they make everything dramatic. I'll be back tomorrow for the final part of the arc.
[/quote]

Much appreciated. Though I'm not sure the finale will be done today, it's very much likely that I'll have 24 finished, which will leave us one episode away from its resolution. It's been nice to have a break from the main story but at the same time, coming up with more ideas and how to continue it was really good; hoping we'll get more readers as the story goes along but extremely thankful for the ones we do have! :)

[spoiler=Episode 24: I Will Protect You!]

[i]As the finale draws near, Hiyoru’s full strength has been put to the test. Forced to stop a duel between himself and Kimora, Hayate Ishira’s new prospect duelist to avoid destroying the last of her humanity, Hiyoru was forced to use the {2nd Stage: Reikon-chouin Shuukan; Soul-Sealing Prison}, a technique which seals away the girl’s Rakurai energy. At the same time, it takes nearly all of Hiyoru’s own power to perform a technique, leaving him extremely vulnerable. To make things worse, it appears that Hayate has begun to recover; will he take advantage of this opportunity to strike and put an end to the battle once and for all, completely disregarding Kimora’s life?[/i]

---

[i]It’s been so long since I’ve had to use the 2nd Stage; I forgot how much that takes out of you.[/i] Hiyoru sighed. He was winded, but he was alive. Most of his energy had been drained, but he suspected that, if he needed it, he could still fight a little while longer. As expected, he had been hesitant to use it because of the condition he would put himself in, but if that duel had continued any longer...he preferred not to think about it, shifting his mind to the task at hand.

Hayate had made what appeared to be a full recovery, thanks to his accelerated regeneration. Hiyoru had the same ability, but it wasn’t something that kicked in right away. It took a while, especially after using a move like that; he estimated he wouldn’t have his full powers back for at least six hours, if not more. For Hayate to have been able to recover so quickly after an attack that would have killed a normal person was frightening. How much stronger had he really become?

Silence, as Kimora lay, breathing very slowly. Everything had closed in around her. She could still see and hear, but only barely. It was as though she was inside her own mind. Something was calling out to her. Maybe it was Hayate? No, it couldn’t have been. He was standing, silent, staring eerily at Hiyoru, who stood across from him, and not looking much better off than she was.

[i]Girl…let the darkness consume you...[/i]

[i]Wha—who’s there?[/i] She felt as though she was shaking – but physically she wasn’t. Hiyoru’s spell had pretty much shut down all of her bodily functions, except what was absolutely necessary. She was powerless. She had let Hayate down. Even though he had not answered her, she knew somehow, inside, he was proud. Wasn’t he?

[i]Allow the darkness to consume you and you will be restored...[/i]

[i]Go away; leave me alone, whatever you are! [/i]The impact of the battle may have finally been taking its toll; maybe she was going insane, hearing things...otherwise what was going on inside her head, why was she feeling so strange? It felt like something was trying to invade her mind, to break through her many walls and take over entirely. But she had to fight it; she couldn’t allow whatever it was to gain control.

---

“So what now, Hayate?” On one knee, Hiyoru was trying to catch his breath and remain calm, so as to speed up the energy regeneration process. “Is this the part where we fight, and you try and kill me because I’m wounded? If so, we might as well try and get it over with while I can still stand.”

Hayate chuckled a sinister laugh, taking a few steps forward ever so slowly. “Don’t be silly, that’s not my style. I told you, I cannot fight you here. She will be doing the fighting.”

[i]What?![/i] Hiyoru shot his eyes towards the girl, who was still on the ground within the seal, barely moving. He began to notice a kind of darkness about her, something different than before. She was still unconscious, but a constant spiral of black energy had slowly begun to surround her, working its way from the top to the bottom of her near-lifeless body. “What have you done to her?!”

“Me?” Hayate asked with a smile full of innocence. “I haven’t done a thing. In fact, I’ve stood by silently the entire time, staying out of the fight because I do not wish to do battle here. This was your doing, Hiyoru. As I said, she needed to be brought to her limits in order for her true power to be revealed. And what further way to bring an enemy to their limit then by rendering them powerless?”

“You tricked me!” Hiyoru said. “You bastard!”

“Tricked is an awful specific word. I made it very clear what would happen, and you chose to act accordingly,” Hayate said. “You claim to be about protecting these people, but you didn’t have the guts to do what was necessary to save her. You couldn’t finish the duel and take a chance; I knew you would act this way and that is why everything has gone exactly as I’ve planned.”

“Tell me, Hayate,” Hiyoru demanded, “Have you infused her with your own powers like the last one?”

“No...” he said. “This one is different. I have sealed darkness within her soul. Something much more powerful than you or I could ever hope to be. The darkness could not take over until her humanity was weak enough, and now that she has no will to fight it any longer, the process can begin!”

The girl began to stand, an absolutely blank expression in her eyes. They were entirely black, with the exception of the white around the edges. The dark spiral continued to encompass her, as though it was guiding her movements. “Finally, to be free! I have waited such a long time for this human to fall so that I may take hold, and now I have! The ultimate power is mine for the taking!”

It was no longer Kimora’s brash, arrogant, yet-still-inexperienced voice doing the talking. The voice was deep and bellowing, with an ominous backdrop. She really was no longer human.

“I will save her,” Hiyoru said. “Even at the cost of my life.”

“Save her?” Kimora asked. “Mere mortal, you cannot even begin to comprehend that which you see before you! It is too late to save her, for I have taken over! Allow me to demonstrate my power!” She fired a blast of energy from her right hand. It was massive in size, and Hiyoru’s efforts to jump out of the way were only half successful. It struck him right in the chest, tearing his shirt and causing several cuts.

“Hayate, damn you!” He tried to stand. “Don’t you understand the danger of unleashing such an evil? You used her, she wanted to fight for you and you used her for nothing more than this!”

“I’ve grown tired of this human,” she said. “Now die!” She fired another blast, this one even bigger than the last one. Hiyoru wouldn’t be able to move in time.

[i]s***...![/i]

---

With no time to spare, a figure landed in front of him. From his back hung a sky blue cloth, extending about halfway down. He realized who it was just at the blast made contact. [i]Kiryu...[/i]

Kiryu’s hand met the blast and it dissipated instantly.

“What is this? Have you come to die as well?!” Kimora, or whatever was controlling her, fired a series of blasts, three in a row, each one bigger than the previous. And just like the first, Kiryu’s immediate contact caused them to vanish instantly.

[i]He’s...it can’t be! That cloak! It’s...[/i] Hayate and Hiyoru both stared at the boy with bewildered eyes.

Kiryu turned his attention to his mentor, who was barely standing. “Hey Hiyoru...” Kimora fired another blast, but Kiryu stuck his hand out to block it without looking. “Next time you disappear into the woods without a trace, leave a note or something. Trying to find you was really annoying. And what are you on the ground for? At least have the decency to stand up when fighting such an enemy.”

“Kiryu...” It went against all aspects of his character, but Hiyoru couldn’t resist the urge to smile. Knowing Kiryu was alive... “You shouldn’t have come here; I don’t think you know what we’re up against here.” But he did stop all of those attacks without even trying, and I couldn’t block one. It looks like Tiraiya’s up to her old tricks again.

“Oh, shut up. Someone had to save your sorry ass,” He smirked. “Besides, after learning what’s really going on here I’m flattered to know you care so much.” Kiryu winked at his mentor, jokingly.

“Care?! I don’t care at all you stupid idiot!” Hiyoru shouted. “As far as I’m concerned the sooner you’re off this island the better!”

“Sure, I believe that,” Kiryu said. “Now you,” his expression changed drastically as he locked eyes with the girl. “I know a lot more about this story than I did when we last met. I know that Hiyoru was willing to give his life to protect both me and the girl. That alone is means to rid you from this world, for trying to take his life, but realistically, I just don’t like you. I’ve never really felt the need to challenge myself because no one has provided me with such requirements. But let me explain something to you. A new friend gave me this garment, known as the Houshou Cloak. When one wears it, they become completely invincible to any and all forms of Rakurai, meaning none of your attacks will have any effect on me. So we’re going to settle this matter the only way I know how.”

Kiryu shifted his right arm out from underneath the cloak to reveal a duel disk.

“Oh hey, Hiyoru, before I forget,” Kiryu looked back, “Tiraiya told me to tell you that you better come back alive. She said you’d know what she was talking about. Now then, whoever you are, shall we get on with it?”

“A duel?” Kimora asked. “I suppose I can bring about your imminent defeat whatever way you like, brat! Besides, such an encounter will allow me to truly achieve my full power! You may have been able to catch this brat off guard, but you won’t be so lucky this time, for she is no longer in control!”

---

[i]I never thought I’d be in this position again, having to rely on someone else to protect me. I suppose it’s only fitting that the next protégé I took on after him would be so different, only for things to end up the same. Kiosuke was such a different person, but inside, both him and Kiryu share so many similarities it’s not even funny. [/i]

[i]I was right, too. Kiryu hasn’t yet unlocked his powers. Tiraiya must have found him before I could and given him a rundown of the situation. I was hoping to avoid this but I guess I should be thankful he’s here, because otherwise I wouldn’t be. I can’t bare the thought of losing someone else because I wasn’t strong enough to handle the fight on my own.[/i]

[i]At least Houshou’s Cloak will protect him from any attacks, meaning that this battle will come down to a game of skill. Regardless of how the duel ends, Kiryu will survive because the cloak will make it so he takes no physical damage from the duel as well. Will he be strong enough to do what I couldn’t?[/i]

---

“So then, let’s get down to business, Kimora,” Kiryu said, drawing his starting hand. “Last time I just held back and didn’t make a single play, but this time I’m going to kick your ass right from the get-go! I Summon Rescue Rabbit in attack mode!”

The furry little creature from their previous duel sprung onto the field, giving Kimora a “thumbs up” in a mocking manner. “Check it! Rescue Rabbit, do your thing!” It leapt into the air, and two golden-armor clad warriors appeared in its place. “Just like the previous duel, I’m bringing out Noble Knight Artorigus!”

“He’s already managed to bring out that monster that won him the last game?” Hayate wondered aloud. “Is his determination to protect Hiyoru suddenly this strong?”

“I don’t need the Rakurai to beat you, because I know you’re not going to be able to out duel me!” He exclaimed. “It’s time to do this! I build the Overlay Network with both Noble Knights to Xyz Summon Heroic Champion – Excalibur!”

The golden-armored knights became spheres of light, and they fired upwards into the sky, illuminating the tip of Excalibur’s giant sword as the warrior lowered onto the field, standing at least ten feet, if not more. With burning determination in his eyes, Kiryu stared at Kimora. No, it wasn’t her. It wasn’t the girl he thought would provide him with a real challenge. It was a monster. But somewhere in there, Kimora was still alive. And he was going to save her.

“I don’t know what you are, and this entire situation is hardly making sense to me, but I’d like to think I’ve finally found an opponent worth dueling, and that alone is enough to make me want to push myself to the ultimate limits! I will save her, and I will protect Hiyoru with my life! This is a promise, the first promise I’ve ever made to anyone, and I will follow through on it no matter what it means!”

Ok. Numbers... -shot-

Hmm, so K is now evil? How lame. I hope that he actually saves her, since the generic possessed by some form of evil, and does evil things becuase the evil thing possessing them is evil is kinda dull. Still, I'm sure it works out in a nice way.

And again, my mind crosses to Ichigo saving Rukia. But, probably more awesome, becuase you aren't expecting it. Sadly, nothing like Ichigo kicking people wiht his bare hands... yet. O.o

Umm, so personally I found it a bit dull, but its setting things up nicely. and I suppose it does fully explain K. Please have her do good next duel. Please. Please. Pretty pretty please. kick warrior babbits babbit backside.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1346453322' post='6016915']
Everything clicks.

Now I understand a lot more about K, who I think is Kimora, Kimora's past and how she became the strange person she is, and more!

Anyway, good chapters, and good start to the duel, though I started skimming a lot (Probably missed something important...)
[/quote]

There were some people who weren't sure going into the back story was a good idea, but it was the best way to really help readers understand Kimora (and Kiryu to an extent, though he'll be more important later) without having three-four chapters of her just telling a story. Writing this has been a lot more difficult than writing the main seasons, but it has also given me a chance to refresh my skills.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1346454183' post='6016925']
Ok. Numbers... -shot-

Hmm, so K is now evil? How lame. I hope that he actually saves her, since the generic possessed by some form of evil, and does evil things becuase the evil thing possessing them is evil is kinda dull. Still, I'm sure it works out in a nice way.

And again, my mind crosses to Ichigo saving Rukia. But, probably more awesome, becuase you aren't expecting it. Sadly, nothing like Ichigo kicking people wiht his bare hands... yet. O.o

Umm, so personally I found it a bit dull, but its setting things up nicely. and I suppose it does fully explain K. Please have her do good next duel. Please. Please. Pretty pretty please. kick warrior babbits babbit backside.
[/quote]

I'm not sure why everyone seems to connect it to Bleach so often! :o I've used a few Bleach references for inspiration but for the most part, there aren't too many similarities.

The duel is the final episode of the Season/Arc and Season 3 will begin with Episode 26. From there we'll be going down the stretch for a while with some real story progression, so there's a lot to look forward to.

[spoiler=Episode 25 (Arc Finale): Return of the Duelist! Go, Excalibur!]
"Interesting, you appear to be the prospect Hiyoru has talked about in so many ways, yet you strike me as such a careless young boy." Kiryu shot up, surprised by the unadvertised appearance. A woman with blonde hair was standing in the doorway. She looked to be about Hiyoru's age, although she didn't blend in so well with the sword at her waist. It was sheathed, but from the looks of her she had plenty of knowledge on how to use it. Better not make her angry.

"Who are you...?" Kiryu asked, perplexed. As he waited for her to answer, he grabbed a shirt from his closet and placed it over his undershirt. Looked like the nap was going to have to wait a while.

"My name is Tiraiya Misamoto; I am a friend of your mentor, Hiyoru. Well, sort of." She looked disparaged by her own remarks. "At least, we used to be. But that's beside the point. I'm not sure whether or not I need to tell you this, but he's in danger."

"So what makes you think I care?" Kiryu asked. "It's not my fault he ran off. Besides, I'm pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot he'd probably be too busy training or doing something "more important"."

"Ignorant little punk too, aren't you?" An angered Kiryu whipped around to see a half-smirk on Tiraiya's face. "That's not important. Stop acting like you're not worried about him and let's go. There's not much time and I have to fill you in on everything."

"Ugh," Kiryu rolled his eyes. "All I wanted to do was take a damn nap."

---

"...And so, after everything he has faced, it took him more courage than most human beings will ever experience to take on the challenge of a new protege. But he knows that you have these abilities, as well. The Rakurai. And Hiyoru's goal is to help you get off this island as quickly as possible, and get far immersed in the Pro Leagues so that you're not forced to participate in a battle that could cost you your life. Despite the fact that he comes across as cold sometimes, he truly cares about you, and is fighting right now to protect you."

[i]Hiyoru... [/i] Kiryu felt his eyes begin to water for the first time. What was this emotion? He had never felt it before. He'd felt sadness, and loneliness, but this...this was something else. [i]You stupid idiot...why go out of your way to protect me? Damn you...[/i]

"With the right amount of training and skill, you can tap into your Rakurai," Tiraiya explained. "We'll be able to help him, but it's going to take some time."

"That's just stupid." Kiryu said flatly, catching the woman by surprise. "I don't see the sense in wasting time training to use these abilities now when I could be out there doing what I do best. If what you're saying is true, then the ultimate goal here is for me and Kimora to duel. So save the training for later. I'm gonna find Hiyoru, and I'm going to give Kimora the rematch that everyone's waiting to see. If what you're saying is true and she's really under Hayate's control, then I'll save her too. Maybe. If she can survive the duel."

"Something like that is crazy," Tiraiya said. "But in all honesty, that's what I expected. You'll need to take this." She handed him a cloak, just big enough to cover the upper half of his body. "It's the Houshou Cloak. The original Hyakurai, its leader, Senji Houshou, created it to protect villagers from battle, but it never really got past the production stage. Except for this one, which I've kept as a reminder of his sacrifice. It will protect whoever is wearing it from any Rakurai related attacks, meaning you can duel as you wish with complete invincibility to anything, even Hayate, could throw at you. Well, there you go. There's that purpose you kept talking about. Now you've got one."

---

[i]She's right. I do have a purpose now. And fighting with a purpose makes me ten times the duelist I was before![/i] "Kimora, it's your turn, let's see if you've got what it takes to pose a threat to me, or if I'll embarrass you again. I end with a face-down and you're good to go."

“How many times do I have to say it, Kimora is no longer here.” The girl said. “It is time we duel, activate Spell Card, Spellbook of Secrets.” She searched through her Deck for a card and placed it into her hand. “With this, I can search the Spellbook of Power card to my hand. Now let’s see, what should I do next? Ah, I know, Summon Strength of Prophecy (1700), in attack mode!”

A red-haired warrior wielding a large silver katana emerged on the field. “With this card in play, I can now activate the Spell Card Spellbook of Strength, and give my monster a one thousand point power boost! Now, Strength of Prophecy, attack his Heroic Champion – Excalibur with Power Cutter!”

The swordsman leapt into the air, with a temporary power boost behind him, looking to slice the Xyz Monster down to size. “Not quite, activate Trap Card, Heroic Retribution Sword!” Excalibur’s sword became emblazoned with two red flames, one on each end, forming a barrier of sorts as it did so. “With this, during this turn only, when your monster attacks my Heroic Champion, I’m allowed to equip him with this sword to go ahead and make it so any damage I would take from the battle, you take as well! On top of that, my monster is safe from battle, but I can’t say the same about yours. Because any monster that battles against the Heroic Retribution Sword is automatically destroyed!”

[b]Kiryu’s Life Points[/b]: 3300
[b]Kimora’s Life Points[/b]: 3300

“You got a lucky shot, but I must warn you, if you’re intending to physically damage me with such an attack, you’re only hurting the body.” Kimora laughed. “You see, I am a spirit and as such, I feel none of this girl’s pain. In fact, if you damage her enough, I might be able to run free entirely, so perhaps you should keep attacking! Eventually her body will be too weak for her to live even if she does regain her soul!”

“Are you really trying to hold a mind game with me?” Kiryu asked. “The difference between Hiyoru and myself is that at heart, I’m a duelist. What that means is once a duel begins, I’m going to finish it no matter what. If Kimora’s not tough enough to handle the pain that comes with a duel like this, then I guess she won’t survive, but something tells me she’s got more power than you think.”

[i]Is he really willing to kill her if that happens?![/i] Hayate was shocked by the development; of course, he hadn’t really expected any of this, and part of him was worried about his ability to control the creature inside of Kimora, so this duel continuing might actually be a good way to observe and understand how to control it.

“Anyway, I’m up,” he said. “Draw, and would you look at that, it’s Heroic Challenger – Spartan (1600/1000). I’ll summon him to the field in Defense Position.”

A relatively scrawny soldier appeared beside the menacing Excalibur, wielding a wooden spear in one hand, and a shield in the other. He knelt down, placing the shield in front of him to defend himself.

“From there, I think I’ll have Excalibur attack your Life Points directly with Illumination Slash!” Still preserving its Overlay Units, Excalibur leapt skywards and struck the girl with his sword. A powerful shot, she nearly fell over, and probably would have were it not for the powers controlling her being strong enough to keep her standing.

[b]Kimora’s Life Points[/b]: 1300

[i]He’s playing a much different game this time around.[/i] Hayate was concerned. [i]He’s not holding back in the slightest, despite the possibility of her life being on the line. I thought by his claims to save her, that would be something that would work to our advantage, by causing him to play very restrictively. If he continues to duel in such a fashion, there could be trouble. I need to find some way to make him feel threatened. With that cloak, I cannot do it by physically harming him, but maybe if I target Hiyoru...[/i]

“Argh,” Kimora grunted in frustration. “My move. I’ve had enough of this; I summon Spellbook Magician of Prophecy (500/400) to the field in Defense Mode.” The robed apprentice appeared on the field once more, holding a book that began to glow through his power. “You remember this from our last duel, don’t you? When Spellbook Magician is placed on the field, I can search for a Spellbook card from my Deck and add it to my hand, so come to me, Spellbook Library of the Crescent!”

[i]That’s a new one.[/i] Kiryu held tight. “So you’re actually going to take this seriously now? I’m impressed.”

“You haven’t even begun to see what I am capable of,” Kimora said, placing the newly searched card into her duel disk. “Now behold the ability of Spellbook Library of the Crescent!” As the card took effect, a backdrop vaguely resembling that of an ancient European library pixelated into place around them. One by one, books flew off the shelf, until there were three of them hovering in the air in between both Kimora and Kiryu himself. “This Spell Card allows me to choose a total of three Spellbooks from my Deck and reveal them to you. Then, you choose one and I get to add it to my hand. The others get shuffled back into the Deck. Unfortunately I can’t activate it this turn, but that won’t matter, because I’ve got plenty of defense in my Spellbook Magician.”

Kiryu examined the cards for a moment. There were three in total, ‘Spellbook of Wisdom’, ‘Spellbook of Life’, and ‘Spellbook of Secrets’. He was familiar with the third one, as Kimora had used it just last turn to grab another card. Choosing Secrets would basically allow her free reign over the entire Deck, because she could search for anything. ‘Spellbook of Life’ was a revival Spell Card, meaning she would be able to get a Spellcaster-Type monster back from her Graveyard, which could pose a problem. The last one, ‘Spellbook of Wisdom’, gave a monster protection from either Spells or Traps until the End Phase. Since he had no need to use either right now, that had to be the least harmful choice. “I’ll go with Spellbook of Wisdom.”

“A wise choice and really the only one you had.” Kimora placed the card, presumably the same one she had just taken to her hand, face-down on the field, followed by a second card in the same nature. “I’ll place two cards face-down and end my turn for now.”

“My draw.” Kiryu said. [i]So there’s two cards face-down. One of them is definitely Spellbook of Wisdom; I’m sure of it. I could tell by the way she placed it in her hand and shuffled it around, trying to confuse me. I’m not that stupid. From there though, there’s a second one, and I don’t know which is which. Whether or not it’s a bluff or something that could pose a problem to Excalibur, I’m going to have to take that shot. [/i]With the ‘Spellbook’ collection she was building in her Graveyard, wasting any more time wouldn’t make a lot of sense. Kiryu knew that attacking and not letting up would be the only way to keep Kimora – or whoever it was, at this point – from gaining the upper hand.

He sighed. “Alright then, now that I’ve figured out where I want to go from here, it’s time to get back to action! Heroic Champion – Excalibur, cut his magician to pieces! Illumination Slash!” Excalibur prepared to strike. If it was a Trap, he’d find out right now. Slashed it to bits. No response. [i]Interesting...I thought for sure she’d play something. What could she be setting up...[/i]
---

Hayate watched his former ally closely. Hiyoru was obviously at anything but one-hundred percent, but he was somewhat standing, watching the duel using the remains of a tree for support. Technically, Hayate could just strike him now and get it over with, but that would draw way too much attention and could risk affecting the duel. Since he was unsure of how the dark spirit would react to such an event, it was best to wait until he had an opportunity to strike.

[i]Soon, Hiyoru, this will all be over for you.[/i]

---
“Well, that attack got through uninterrupted, which I didn’t really expect, so I guess that’s a relief,” Kiryu said. “One face-down should do it for now. Feel free to start attacking at any time. After all, you can only put up a defense for so long until I’m able to break through it.”

“Building up a defense for the likes of you?” Kimora asked. “Why is it that you continue to underestimate me? I told you, the girl was weak, but now her body is nothing more than a shell of which I can utilize to begin to finalize my existence in this world. I will not make the same mistakes she has. Now then, I summon Charioteer of Prophecy (1800/1300)!”

The whinny of a white stallion echoed as a new warrior emerged on the field, riding a great horse, wielding a sword in his right hand that was clad with a weird ribbon, only to be removed upon attacking. “With this, I can then discard the Spellbook of Wisdom from my hand to select a Spellcaster in my Graveyard and add it to my hand, and I think I’ll choose my Spellbook Magician of Prophecy!”

[i]Hold on a second; she didn’t set Spellbook of Wisdom? [/i]Kiryu had to admit, he was somewhat confused. He had watched her hand movements almost perfectly. Why wouldn’t she have set it? It only made a sense; at least if he tried to use a Spell Card of some sort to remove the Spellbook Magician from the field, it could have been protected. He was missing something here.

“I can tell by the look on your face that you’re continuing to play with the mindset that you’re dueling the girl, and not an opponent who has far more experience,” she said, getting his attention. “I am not aiming to pull off some kind of big move with these cards – that is not my goal. I do not care about the Deck as a whole, for you see, to complete my transformation and truly materialize in this world; I must call upon this creature!”

[i]What the hell?[/i] Kiryu nearly lost his grip as the ground began to shake around him. He noticed almost instantly the dark spiral energy that had nearly consumed Kimora earlier; it was beginning to materialize again, coming from the ground at her feet, and bringing strong gusts of wind along with it, blowing the sand that had been created from Hiyoru’s attack right into their faces.

[i]Is this...he said his spirit will materialize through this creature?![/i] Hiyoru had no idea what they were facing here; he could barely stand, grasping the tree tighter to avoid falling from the shaking of the ground.

“Behold my might! I banish from the Graveyard ‘Spellbook of Secrets’, ‘Spellbook Library of the Crescent’, and ‘Spellbook of Wisdom’, to call forth Prophecy Destroyer (2500/1200)!” The monster that stood before them looked to be once human, but was certainly no such thing any longer. The dark spiral surrounded and consumed it, only it appeared to have control over these forces. Wings spanning three feet on either side shot out from it, red in color and covered from top to bottom with spikes around the edges. A razor-sharp tail extended from behind, wrapping around towards the front of its body, and matching the white horns on its head. It was unlike any creature Kiryu had ever seen.

“Kiryu, be careful, I don’t recognize this thing at all!” Hiyoru managed to get the words out, warning his protégé of the dangers he faced. “This is the same Deck Hayate himself plays, and the many times I’ve faced him, I’ve never seen such a card. I don’t know what it is.”

Even Hayate was a bit concerned. [i]I gave the girl a Deck exactly similar to my own, though I’ve never even seen such a card, nor heard of it to exist. Could it be the transition of spirit energy caused this creature to be created from out of darkness? [/i]The monster appeared to show no mercy, and Hayate stepped back, retreating up to the branches of the tree had had been watching under. [i]I think I might hold off on getting anywhere near this duel...such a monster was not my intention in the slightest![/i]

Kimora bellowed with laughter as the creature stood before her, its voice deeper and darker than ever, sending chills down Kiryu’s spine. “This is my true form, a being comprised of the darkness in the heart of this girl! You see, Hayate, as you’re thinking now, it was in fact your transition of energy that created me! Trying to infuse another being with such power, how else would you have expected her to handle it other than with hatred? She was not good enough for you, and so needing this power to truly prove herself to you, it made her resent herself more and more, until I was able to break through! And now, for your insolence, I think I’ll kill you first!”

At Kimora’s command, the demon turned sideways, hurling its deadly sword straight at Hayate, who could not even begin to move in time. It struck him straight in the chest, sending him plummeting to the ground below, before the sword returned itself to the demon’s hands.

“He just—Hayate!” Hiyoru called out, not so much out of consideration for his former ally, but the sight of someone – or something – killing Hayate so easily...

[i]Did that thing just...this is a duel, but if I’m seeing correctly, that thing just killed Hayate in plain sight. Is that the kind of power this being, whatever is controlling Kimora, holds?[/i] Kiryu felt his hands and arms shaking, but refused to think. He couldn’t allow himself to be overcome with fear. Not now, not when the duel had already gone on for quite some time. It was obvious now; if he wanted to save Hiyoru, Kimora, and himself at this point, he’d have to take that Prophecy Destroyer down. It was the only option.

“It is time to demonstrate my power for you personally,” Kimora said. “That cloak may be protecting you for now, but how long until it begins to wear off? Let’s find out. Prophecy Destroyer, attack his Heroic Champion – Excalibur with Nightmare Blast!” From its right arm, the creature fired a blast of dark energy, identical to the ones Kimora herself was now able to produce.

[i]Hang in there Excalibur, I’ve gotcha. [/i]“Don’t see that happening so easily, after all, Excalibur is how I plan to defeat you! From my hand I activate the Special Ability of my Heroic Challenger – Sword Shield,” Kiryu explained, placing the card in the Graveyard as the blast struck Excalibur, leaving it un-phased. “Sure, your attack goes through as planned, but with Sword Shield, not only does Excalibur survive, my Life Points remain intact as well.”

“I’m growing rather frustrated with you weaseling your way out of all of my attacks,” Kimora said. “It’s about time this duel comes to an end.”

“I couldn’t agree more!” Kiryu drew a card. “And that’s why I’m going to do just that! Heroic Challenger – Spartan, stand, change to attack mode! Here comes the Spell Card Heroic Chance!” The spear in the Spartan’s hand duplicated, now leaving one in each. “With this, Spartan’s attack points are doubled until the End Phase of this turn!”

[b]1600 x 2 = 3200[/b]

“Now, Spartan, take down his monster with Twin Spear Strike!” Obeying orders, the servant leapt upwards, throwing both spears across the field, parallel, as they headed straight for Kimora’s demonic creature.

“Did you think I would allow you to make such a move so easily?” Kimora asked. “Activate Spell Card, Spellbook of Destruction!” The spiral around Prophecy Destroyer began to intensify. “With this, Prophecy Destroyer’s attack points go from 2500 to 5000, until the End Phase of your next turn!”

[b]2500 x 2 = 5000[/b]

“I thought you might try something like that, which is why I threw down this face-down card!” Kiryu shouted as the card revealed itself. “Heroic Armor is a Trap Card that activates when a Heroic monster is on the field and my opponent tries to activate a Spell or Trap Card. What it does is take that Spell or Trap Card and negate its effects before shuffling it back into your Deck! That means my attack goes through!”

“Apparently you only noticed one of my two face-down cards,” Kimora replied, grinning. “You see, I’ve been planning this play since the beginning of the game, because it is exactly what I will need to defeat you! I activate the Trap Card Royal Decree!”

[i]No! It can’t be![/i] Kiryu was stunned.

[i]Royal Decree...if that’s the case, that means Kiryu’s Heroic Challenger – Spartan will be completely obliterated by that thing, leaving him with nothing but Excalibur. [/i]Hiyoru understood the consequences. [i]He won’t be able to use any Trap Cards to protect Excalibur and Prophecy Destroyer still has five-thousand attack points! This isn’t good, I’m not sure that cloak will be able to hold off both attacks![/i]

Prophecy Destroyer swatted away both spears, stabbing the Heroic Challenger right in the chest, causing him to explode into pixels. Strong forces blew towards Kiryu, but the cloak was able to reduce them to almost nothing.

[b]Kiryu’s Life Points[/b]: 1500

He had survived the attack unscathed, but the cloak began to disintegrate, swallowed by what looked like a light. “It’s beginning to break, why is this happening now?”

“Kiryu, Houshou Cloak isn’t invincible,” Hiyoru called out. “It’s an extremely powerful and useful item but it can only withstand so much spirit energy before it completely breaks down. It’s never been pushed to that limit before, but Houshou used to speak of such a thing being a very real possibility. That’s what we’re seeing now. Whatever is controlling her is just...too strong for the cloak to withstand much longer. Unfortunately, I think if you take another attack you’ll end up like...”

“You don’t have to say anything else,” Kiryu interrupted. He could tell Hiyoru’s words were hurting his mentor to even say, never mind process. “So it’s simple. I can’t take another attack. Then screw the stupid cloak.” He took what was remaining and threw it onto the ground, staring downwards instead of looking Kimora in the eyes.

“Kiryu what are you thinking?!” Hiyoru exclaimed, but his protégé ignored him.

“It appears you have accepted the fact that you stand no chance of victory, and you are ready to be the power that will grant my complete manifestation into this world!” Kimora began to laugh once more, but Kiryu locked eyes with her, stopping her dead in her tracks.

“You said I can’t activate any Trap Cards, right?” Kiryu asked. “Well that’s a good thing then, I suppose. Because I do have one card left in my hand, and I’m thinking if I’m gonna use it, I might as well do it now. I didn’t know what you were planning, but I assumed it was something that would try to lock my strategy down.” He continued. “Earlier you told me you weren’t playing like Kimora at all, and therein lies your problem. For if Kimora herself had been dueling me here, she would’ve used that Secret Village of the Spellcasters card in your hand, shutting down all of my Traps [i]and[/i] all of my Spells. Unfortunately for you, your only goal was to break free and utilize Rakurai, something I haven’t even tried to tap into yet. I’ve fought this entire duel on skills alone, and that, unfortunately, is just something you don’t have.”

“What did you say?!”

“Check it, the last Spell Card in my hand, Forbidden Lance!” Kiryu revealed the card, and the large sword in Prophecy Destroyer’s hands was replaced by a measly spear.

[b]5000 / 2 = 2500 – 800 = 1700[/b]

“Not only does Forbidden Lance make it so the monster it targets is completely unaffected by other Spells and Traps this turn, but it takes eight-hundred attack points at the same time. In essence, your Prophecy Destroyer went from powerhouse to irrelevance.”

“Even with that, you can only hit me for three-hundred points of damage,” Kimora said, enraged. “To act as though victory is possible...”

“Who said I was done? You haven’t wondered why I never used Excalibur’s overlay units? I told you Excalibur would be the card I used to defeat you, and I meant it.” Kimora was speechless as her jaw dropped, realizing what she had so blindly ignored. “With Excalibur’s overlay units gone, his attack points double until the end phase of your next turn. Of course, you won’t be having one.”

[b]2000 * 2 = 4000[/b]

“Now, destroy the darkness in her heart and end this duel, Shining Illumination Slash!” With a sword covered by light, Excalibur slashed the demon clean in half, and the voice that had taken over Kimora’s body cried out as the girl fell to the ground, unconscious.

“That’s it then.”

[b]Kimora’s Life Points[/b]: 0

---

“He did it,” Hiyoru said. “He actually won...”

Kiryu dropped to one knee, nearly out of breath. “Well, that was tiring.” He laughed out loud, a goofy smile on his face. “Probably the toughest duel I’ve ever had. Ya know something Hiyoru, if the girl herself had been playing, there’s a good possibility she would have won.”

Hiyoru said nothing, but nodded his head, smiling.

“I’m thinking maybe the Pro Leagues aren’t where I’m headed, at least not for now.”

“What do you mean?” Hiyoru was shocked to hear the words as they came out of Kiryu’s mouth. “I thought that was your goal, to get off this island and become a professional duelist?”

“I thought so too,” Kiryu said. “But after everything that’s happened, knowing I have these abilities, knowing that someday, whether I like it or not, I’ll be called on to fight, maybe it’d be better if I tried to learn some more about them, you know? And don’t worry, you don’t have to train me, either. I think it’s about time you get some time off, huh?”

“Oh, so you think you’re better than me?!”

“Who’s to say?” Kiryu smiled.

“I’ll tell you what! You little brat!” Hiyoru tried to stand, but fell over, and both of them started laughing.

---
Kimora lay on the ground, unconscious. She was alive, and she would more than likely make a full recovery, getting her powers back as well. Just as the sun began to set, a small force, no smaller than a quarter in size, a sphere of energy, dark black in color, lowered itself onto her sword, which lay a good fifty feet away from her body.

“This will not be the last time we meet.”

[b]Concluded – Arc 2[/spoiler][/b]

Well, here it is, the conclusion of Arc 2. While it was "shorter" in terms of Episodes, I think plot-wise it was a lot longer, but I did that so it would only be ten episodes long, as opposed to another 20 episodes which were easily summarized here.

I'm wondering if people will have questions about the Episode, but I'll wait until I've got a few comments to go into any detail. Looking forward to the responses!

I have only the time for a brief review.

Ok, the duel was much better, but... Really I think him drawing into Heroic Chance and smashing everything into Oblvion with 8000 would have been a much more dramatic way. But that's me. Lance was fine for the situation in hand.

I'm guessing K will be Possessed. Lots, and lots, and now has the ability to create cards out of her will? Or at least the creature possessing her. Hmmm, intresting, just don't over do it with God draws every second.

But I am impressed that K became good, not as good as I'd like, but good none the less. And for once, no bleach reference. Unless when i reread I get that impression.

Thanks for the reviews, guys! Season 3's first episode is about half-way done, but I've been going non-stop all day with work and school so I'm not sure I'll be posting that tonight; we'll have to see, I guess.

Season 3 gets back to the current time, but it's obvious we haven't seen the last of these characters, either.

[spoiler=Episode 26: Sweet or Sour, Part One]

[i]After exploring the background and past of Kimora, the enemy Kenji and Sora met and defeated when last we met, we resume to the present time, ten years following those events. It has been about a week since we left our heroes, and in that time they have managed to gain a very basic amount of information about their abilities, the Rakurai. The spiritual being within Sora’s mind, which remains nameless, has informed him of these powers and Sora has been able to bring Kenji up-to-date. As for any leads on where to go next or how to find Rai Valiant, the one this entire mission is about, there aren’t many leads. Not much is known about CLEAR and what it is they are attempting to do, except that they created the D-Accel, the “Pilot Chip”, as a means of harnessing energy. It was never intended to be used for Turbo Duels; that was just a means of getting it mass released, in order to absorb the energy of duelists and make every duel as though it was fought with Rakurai.[/i]

[i]That was their objective, but Takumi Moreno’s death and the fact that they never received the finalized V-Duel has put a stop to that, at least for now. Since then, Yoruki has also died, using his own Rakurai to stop the deaths that would have been caused with the destruction of the CodEn headquarters. While Takumi truly has died, the lives that appeared to be lost were nothing more than an illusion from the mysterious Calion’s jikokusori, or time warp ability. Yoruki’s last words were to his co-worker Orii Yuusuke, who it was revealed is actually one of the key pieces to saving the world and restoring things to normal. Yoruki informed his younger “apprentice” of sorts that his ability, Reikonryou, or soul charge, was something he must learn to master in order to join up with Kenji and Sora.[/i]

[i]At the previous Season’s conclusion, a mysterious group of unknown individuals ordered for someone to be sent to get the job done that Kimora could not. Whether or not this individual is more or less of a threat is unknown, but one thing is for sure, it’s time to jump right back into things with the new Season of Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel![/i]

---

“BREAKING NEWS! This update is being brought to you live, as we speak from Neo Domino City News as chaos appears to have broken out downtown among several pedestrians and store owners, with more than seven different shops being broken into last night, and not discreetly, either. Reports say the windows were effortlessly smashed, and no attempt was made to hide the break-ins. Even more confusing is that every single camera in each store has been disabled and destroyed, which leaves Security with no way to find out who is responsible for this disaster! Thousands of dollars’ worth the merchandise has been stolen and the townspeople are in a panic; we’ll go live to downtown Neo Domino where NDCN’s own Rachel Matthews is standing by, Rachel?”

Nearly every television in the city was tuned to NDNC, as cameras were focused on the beautiful face of young News Reporter Rachel Matthews, who stood in the center of a panic-stricken Shopping Center, with police cars everywhere for miles, screaming children and parents trying to keep them under control, and store owners throwing fits over what had happened to them.

“Thank you Dan, I’m standing here in the Neo Domino Square, and I’ve tried to get a word with a few of the store-owners, but many of them are too filed with panic and worry to really say much other than empty threats,” she went on, stepping to the side as a small child ran across the screen, his parents following suit. “I’ve never seen anything like this, the chaos in the center of the city, but with no cameras and no video footage, it’s nearly impossible for us to have any leads right now.”

“You’re the ones who are supposed to keep stuff like this from happening, why the hell weren’t you doing your job?!” The camera shifted off screen, staying live as a shop owner, probably in his early forties, was yelling in the face of a Security Official, who wasn’t really sure how to respond. “Instead all of us are out massive amounts of money, and we still have no idea what’s going on!”

“If someone can get away with all of this, who’s to say we’re safe, it’s obvious the Security isn’t doing its job!” Another voice yelled, as the cameraman tried to get a shot of that person, too. More people began to yell, and some of them began to charge the Security Forces, knocking the cameraman down in the process.

Worried Pedestrians and Shop Owners alike charged at the officials, demanding answers and trying to get out of the area, unsure of their own safety. With nearly the entire Police Force in town, it was almost impossible to call for backup, and keeping these people under control wasn’t as easy as it might look, nearly seventeen or so Officers in this part of town standing up against two-hundred angry, worried civilians.

“What the hell do we do?” One of the officers asked.

“I’m not really sure,” another replied. “We can’t just open fire, maybe fire a few shots into the air and see if it gets people’s attention!”

“It’s worth a shot,” the officer complied, holding his handgun into the sky and firing a few shots. Being somewhat out of the crowd, people had no idea where the shots were coming from, thus instilling more fear. “s***, it had the opposite effect, damnit, this is getting crazy!”

Suddenly, as though hours had passed when in reality it was seconds, everyone stopped moving, becoming one-hundred percent calm. The civilians began to turn their attention to a young girl, short with blonde hair and a plaid outfit, standing front and center in the crowd. No one said a word; they looked to her, waiting for her to say something.

“What the hell is this?” An officer asked.

“Everyone, this chaos is not necessary,” the girl spoke in such an innocent voice, and people were drawn to her every word. “I understand people are scared and worried, but this is not the way to handle it.”

“Who are you?” A random guy in the crowd called out. “And why should we listen to you? You’re just a little kid!”

“That may be true, but I’m very much aware of what’s going on here,” she smiled. There was a duel disk on her arm which not many people had noticed, but she couldn’t have been more than eleven or twelve years old. “The problem here isn’t one of you, or someone in the crowd, but the Police Officers. You see, they staged this entire event; they are responsible for the theft and destruction that has happened here. I saw everything with my own eyes.”

“No way.”
“That’s not possible.”
“Would they really do something like that?”

Were just some of the responses amidst the crowd. The Officers had no idea how to react. As the crowd awaited more words, there was a greenish glow in the girl’s eyes, something that all of them were fixated on. She smiled once more. “Show them what you think of them treating you as nothing more than test subjects of a social experiment, go.”

All at once the crowd began to turn around, facing the squadron of officers in front of them. Outnumbered heavily, they had no idea what to do; they couldn’t just shoot random civilians, but something was weird. The way the girl had been able to command the crowd so easily...what was it about her?

The time to think it through was slim to none as the crowd began to charge once more, although this was no longer random panic; it was organized chaos. The officers were the targets and they didn’t have much room to run.

“We’re about to meet an unfortunate fate, I don’t know what you want us to do here sir!”

---

“1st Stage, {Shippuuhishu; Hurricane Dagger}!” A red flash of light exploded throughout the area, from left to right, creating a barrier between the officers and the attacking crowd. Through the light, an oval shaped object struck the ground; it was obvious what caused the flash.

The first line of people were knocked off their feet at the force of Kenji Christianson’s attack as the smoke cleared to reveal both he and Sora standing guard in front of the officers. The people showed no sign of response, with the exception of the young girl giving the orders.

“So, I leave the force and this is how it ends up?” Kenji asked, turning to face his former team-mates. “You can’t even hold off a group of people? Sheesh, talk about needing a pay cut.”

“Is that Kenji?”
“It’s been quite a while.”

Sora tapped Kenji on his right shoulder. “I think I see the source of all this.” He pointed to the young girl, who stood in place, smiling. “There’s something weird about her eyes, it’s as if she’s controlling them.”

“You think it’s Rakurai?” Kenji asked, being careful not to speak too loud.

“Sure looks like it,” Sora said. “She’s got a duel disk, so she must be a duelist. Maybe she’s associated with CLEAR; Kimora said something about more people coming. But she seems way too young and innocent to be associated with something like that.”

“That’s probably what they’re going for,” Kenji replied, then turned his attention towards the officers. “Listen, I don’t have time to explain all of this right now, but you can leave this to us; focus on isolating the crowd and getting them into smaller groups, we’ll take care of the girl, she’s the one behind all of this.”

“You can’t possibly think about using the Rakurai here, in front of all these people?” Sora asked rhetorically.

“Of course not, but we’re going to have to do something, and it’s been a while since I’ve dueled.” Kenji pointed to the duel disk on his arm, retracting his Rakurai before too many people began to notice. Under the brainwashing, they probably wouldn’t remember anything anyway. “Hey there, you’re not fooling anyone with that childish look; I know there’s something going on here!”

A few people in the front of the crowd turned in the direction Kenji was yelling towards, but showed unchanged expressions. The girl was still there, but it was as if they couldn’t see her. Sora picked up on this quickly, leaving Kenji with no need to point out the obvious. “If she’s controlling them, they have to know she’s there, right? I mean, it was that look in her eyes that stopped them in their tracks.”

Sora shrugged. “I don’t like the thought that we’re facing against an enemy with such weird powers, but it looks that way. It’s as if we’re the only ones who can see her.”

“Kenji, who the hell are you talking to?” One of the officers asked, all but confirming their suspicion.

[i]So Sora and I are the only ones who can see the girl...how is that possible?[/i] It wasn’t out of the realm of possibility given everything they’d been through already, but she’d literally given a speech to the mass gathering of people, and they all responded accordingly. If they couldn’t see her and she was simply controlling them, why waste time with something like that?

“Enough standing around!” A man leading the group yelled out, anger on his face. “Move out of the way or you’ll suffer the same fate they’re going to!”

Begrudgingly, Kenji shook his head. “I’m afraid I can’t do that. I have no desire to fight you, but perhaps you’d fancy a duel?”

“You want to duel with me?” The man seemed shocked by the request, almost finding it funny. “What a foolish choice that would be.”

“Not particularly, no,” Kenji said. “But I’m looking for someone and if you’re not going to move manually, I’ll just have to beat it out of you.”

“Heh. You’ve picked a fight with the wrong guy,” the shopkeeper said, asserting himself as he drew his starting hand and ordered the people surrounding him to back away and give them some room. “Nothing against you personally, but if they staged this little act just to conduct a social experiment, thus ruining my shop and my business in the process, then I’ll have to go through you to get to them!”

“I can see it’s not worth the wasted breath to try and talk you out of it,” Kenji sighed. “So we’ll just do this.”

“Wise choice, now for the start!” He said. “Duel! And I can’t think of a better way to begin than summoning Madolche Mageliene in Defense Mode!” An odd, overly-cute witch-like girl appeared from the card. “With Mageliene’s special ability, once she’s summoned, I can add a Madolche monster from my Deck to my hand, and I think I’ll choose Madolche Buttlerusk.”

[i]Such weird looking cards. Are these really duel monsters?[/i] “For such a tough guy, I’m surprised to see such...cute monsters.” Kenji’s mocking tone was more than evident, and the Shopkeeper didn’t take well to it.

“Such a funny man, aren’t you?!” The crowd silenced as the Shopkeeper continued. “I’ve been selling dolls and antique collectibles for more years than you’ve been able to walk. How dare you disgrace my profession like that? These monsters are a representation of everything I’ve worked to build!”

“Sheesh, can’t take a joke?” Kenji asked. “Alright then, I’m guessing it’s my turn.” He drew a card. [i]Awesome. This should be relatively simple.[/i] “Let’s do it then! Since you control a monster, I’m allowed to special summon Cyber Dragon (2100/1600) from my hand without offering any Tributes!”

The snake-like dragon, comprised entirely of metal, let out a piercing shriek as it materialized on the field. “Up next, I’ll normal summon Karakuri Strategist mdl 248 "Nishipachi" (500/1600)!” A seated wooden man wearing an ancient robe appeared next to the dragon, keeping relatively calm. “Now then, since Nishipachi is a Tuner monster, I can combine it with Cyber Dragon to perform a Synchro Summon! So put your hands together for Karakuri Steel Shogun mdl 00X "Bureido" (2800/1700)!”

Wielding two monstrously large swords, a giant wooden structure, complete with facial features, rose upwards from the ground, nearly mimicking the height of the skyscrapers nearby. “And when Bureido hits the field, if his mere presence isn’t impressive enough, his special ability activates, allowing me to call forth another monster from my Deck! So please welcome Karakuri Ninja mdl 919 "Kuick" (1700/1500)!” A much more slender mechanical warrior appeared alongside the Shogun, wielding a pair of blades attached to its arms as weapons.

Sora watched on, noticing that Kenji certainly wasn’t holding back any plays. If this move went uninterrupted, he’d almost have game the first turn. [i]Without a doubt, I sensed Rakurai of some sort in this area. That girl, she’s gone now. I’m not sure if Kenji’s noticed it, but I can’t see her at all now. Still though, the Shopkeeper is under her control, and since he appears to be the most well-known, the others are following suit. What kind of power is that?[/i]

“Heading straight into battle without any sort of analyzing of the opponent,” Kenji said. “That’s how I’ve always done it. See, as an officer, the time for rationality was very rarely there. You go all out from the get-go to make sure the job gets done, simple as that! And while what happened to you sucks, unfortunately, I’ve got to win. Here goes! Kuick, attack his Mageliene with Razor Shred!” The ninja leapt into the air, placing its arms together and bringing them down in one swift motion.

[b]Shopkeeper’s Life Points[/b]: 3500

As the card exploded into pixels, it began to quickly materialize back into a card, appearing in the Shopkeeper’s hand. “Whoa, what’s going on? I just destroyed Mageliene; it should have gone to the Graveyard!”

“I told you, there are more to my monsters than meets the eye,” he said. “Whenever a Madolche monster would be sent to the Graveyard, I’m allowed to shuffle it back into my Deck for later use. You can’t ruin a great collectible, I always say.”

[i]So there’s really no way to actually destroy any of them? That means Kuick’s effect won’t work. [/i]Kenji sighed. He was going to have to do this the old-fashioned way. “That’s fine then, so you’ve stopped by monster’s effect from activating, but your field is wide open now, and this is gonna sting a little! But hold on, you’ll be good! Bureido, attack with Steel Pressurizer!”

The towering warrior held both swords outwards in a horizontal manner, slowly releasing a gravitational force downwards, until releasing it all in one blast, directed straight at the Shopkeeper, who took the full force of the attack.

[b]Shopkeeper’s Life Points[/b]: 700

He dropped to his knees, almost falling to the ground completely from the shock of the attack. Kenji couldn’t help but notice the man’s left arm had gone entirely limp as well.

“Kenji,” Sora called out. “It looks like things aren’t much different here; because the Rakurai is involved in the duel regardless of it being one-sided, the damage inflicted is still real!”

“I can’t—feel my arm.” The Shopkeeper stood, his duel disk closer to his hip now as he couldn’t bring himself to lift his arm up entirely. “That attack felt as though it were real instead of just a hologram! Is this some kind of staged trick too?!”

[i]There’s no way...the Rakurai can have this kind of effect on humans that aren’t infused with its power?[/i] Kenji had no idea what his actions would have led to; otherwise he wouldn’t have attacked from the get-go, or would’ve perhaps found another way around winning. [i]For a normal human to survive a duel of such high stakes...[/i] “It’s just like the duel with Aruda, except I’m the only one with the power right now, meaning his attacks should have no effect on me. If that’s the case, I don’t think I can just abandon my beliefs like that and continue with such high-stakes.”

“Kenji, as much as I hate to be the one saying this, I’m not sure we have much of a choice.”

“What?!” Kenji turned his head. “How could you even consider going through with something like this? He’s an innocent human being!”

“I understand, but think about it like this. He’s under her control already, meaning there’s no way of logically breaking through to him without defeating him. I’m guessing whoever this girl is, she has some sort of association with Kimora and the others, but beyond that I’m completely clueless. Regardless, if she’s controlling him, she obviously knew what she was doing and knew that we would come here. With that in mind, she’ll probably dispose of him in another manner if the duel were to end abruptly. And if you lose...”

“So she’s trapped us in a situation where we have no choice but to go against what’s right...”

“The best thing we can do at this point is try and end the duel as quickly as possible,” he said. “The shorter the duel, the less of a toll it will take on his body. And it’s likely that if you win, the control will be broken.”

[i]That’s if he can manage to survive...[/i]

And so here we are, with the first episode of Season 3! Like I said, getting right back into the Plot and finally starting to reveal some things, and find out exactly what's going on here. Should be a new logo shortly as well, but I'm working on it! Looking forward to the feedback!

Well, it was short, for one thing, though it was extremely well-paced. That weird, ominous girl was a great touch, though the shopkeeper is a pretty bad duelist. Of course, it's nice that the stakes are completely different every duel, as in saying that in this particular one, he has to totally wipe out the other guy quickly if he wants to keep the other guy alive. Anyway, great chapter as usual. It was very refreshing to see Sora and Kenji again, and the quick summary at the beginning was extremely helpful.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1347056430' post='6021013']
Well, it was short, for one thing, though it was extremely well-paced. That weird, ominous girl was a great touch, though the shopkeeper is a pretty bad duelist. Of course, it's nice that the stakes are completely different every duel, as in saying that in this particular one, he has to totally wipe out the other guy quickly if he wants to keep the other guy alive. Anyway, great chapter as usual. It was very refreshing to see Sora and Kenji again, and the quick summary at the beginning was extremely helpful.
[/quote]

Was it really short? It was like 3,100 words; it was actually longer than 90% of the Season 2 episodes. I was worried that people might say it was too long, actually.

It's cool to be back to writing with the Main Characters and stuff, and I feel completely refreshed after having some time to take it easy and write that back story arc.

Glad you liked it. Should be up and going with a new chapter over the weekend.

Archived