[LOCK PLEASE] [The Final Episode] Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel: Episode 74/75: The Ultimate End Game

Synchronized

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1350677022' post='6048324']
Sorry for not commenting sooner dude.

[b]No worries, I understand that things come up and people don't always have the time to comment.[/b]

I had no internet for part of the week, and an essay to do last night.

So to make up I offer you virtual cake, and this review:

[b]Works for me.[/b]

Huh... evil little girl... Yay? I like it more than Blaze, who seems like the random duelists that Jaden and the like would get stuck fighting.

[b]Pretty much. Blaze was just a generic villain, whereas Alice is actually, well, meant to be taken seriously.[/b]

Classic Rekindling play, leaving Sora so very very very low on life points and nearing death...

[b]Had to include it.[/b]

And its like Zangetsu only possibly cooler for the next bit. And the spirit half thing is quite cool tbh. Its an intresting idea.

[b]I like it, too. There's so much I can do with it, too.[/b]

Just a Question though... Swordbreaker destroys before damage calculation for his effect. So how was the damage dealt? becuase effects that let you attack multiple monsters don't let you attack directly afterwards? I'm just curious about that.

[b]That was done with the effect of the Trap Card. Basically, it "cancelled out" Forbidden Mace, meaning those attacks didn't count towards the normal attack limit. Bending the rules a bit, I know, but it worked for the purpose of the story.[/b]

How was Blaze's chest not destroyed when Sora slammed his foot down on it? If it was strong enough to dent steel, it would shatter his bones and probably do a lot of obvious damage? Again, just wondering.

[b]A point of logic I probably should have paid more attention to, but it was meant to show that Sora wasn't actually going to just let him die, because it goes against his character.[/b]

Fairly good dude, my questions are just things I picked up on that didn't make full sense to me.

[b]Totally understandable. Greatly appreciate the review.[/b]

I am also wondering if its not to much effort having spoilers for customs used whenever they are used, just so people can understand whats happening better.

[b]You got it. I'll make an effort to do that from here on out.[/b]

It may just be me, but I think its a suggestions. feel free not to follow it, I was just wondering.
[/quote]

No problem dude. I'll definitely get that taken care of. So are you completely caught up?

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1350687339' post='6048453']
So now I see why it was vital to put Alice down there... but the problem I have is why she was scared, to an extent. Can't tell why, she just... was. If she planned it like that, I don't see why she was so nervous, though I do like how Kenji got kicked out of the duel, so Sora took his turn by default. It shows how he isn't totally invincible... but I did like the last play, using one of his first cards. Refreshing. But honestly, that was Arc 3? A bit short, if you ask me, but probably the same size as the so-called 'Short' arc. Though I am curious to see how all this ties in with the little... adventure... at Duel Academy.

One last though. Alice's last more was Ultimate Truth. Apparently, it killed her (why would she do that?), but as far as I can tell, Sora escaped in good condition. And, by the name, I sort of thought that it would be revealing something... I guess not. But for such a high-octane power, it got stopped by a pair of 1st Stage moves and some inner strength?
[/quote]

I know that one of the things I've done is make the Arcs somewhat short, but it's only because of how many characters and mini-stories there are inside the main story. Each "Arc", which really just makes it easier and more simple to label, has about ten episodes or so, but Arc 4 will have more than that.

Sora's determination played a big part in Alice's attack not doing as much damage as it could have, but it was basically meant to show that Calion is so much more powerful than Alice that even her strongest attack would not be enough to defeat him, which played into everything he had told her earlier.

You might be pleased to know that Houshou Island will actually be important in Arc 4.

Thanks again for the feedback!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this has been sitting forever, thought I ought to read it.

[b]Chapter 1:[/b] Bad. Very bad. Frankly it's bad enough it makes me think English isn't your first language. Any respect I had for the story was lost when he crashed because he wasn't paying full attention to the road. I suppose it's possible [i]if he'd never driven a motorcycle before[/i]. Like, in his whole life.

[b]Chapter 2:[/b] An error in your duels right from the start. That certainly bodes well...4000 - (1200+300)/2 = 3250, not 3400. And, for maximum hilarity, this would not only have caused him to lose the duel, but he saved himself with one of the worst card's I've seen in my entire life. Except wait...the effect that actually got applied wasn't the effect stated on the card. According to the card's effect, Terrance would only have lost 900 LP, but he lost 2700. P.S. I hope I'm not supposed to agree with the other duelist - the only reason I have for believing CodEn is evil is because you've told me they are. Their crimes are: attempting to provide an unlimited energy source. UnnamedDuelist, on the other hand, wants to ensure every single duel ends in serious injury or death. I know who I'm rooting for.

[b]Chapter 3:[/b] I like how Calion is such a funny villain. YGO has too many serious villains. He's like Dr. Crowler, but with DARKNESS.

[b]Chapter 4:[/b] Unfortunately, the real Light Laser doesn't get to do that unless the equipped monster is still on the field. And man, it's a good thing that in Calion's [i]five card hand[/i] there were no Level 4 or lower monsters, otherwise Allen's plan would have been completely ruined. Then, Allen attacks, and Calion doesn't activate Fiendish Chain to stop the attack - nope, he [i]waits until next turn[/i]. This is not Dueling 101. This is Remedial Dueling. And once again, this error changes the duel, because in this case Calion would have had LP left after Daedalus' attack. Except that wouldn't have happened...if Allen had ever bothered to set Lumenize.

[b]Chapter 5:[/b] Wait. Wait...they don't even know the name of the person transporting the Duel Runner? The only reason they couldn't know is if Takumi concealed it from them, which would mean that he would rather have them fail so he can punish them or whatever than retrieve the priceless technology that will make him god of the new world. This is ridiculous. And now for the duel - "you should have paid attention to my monster's special ability". Because there's a long history of reading what cards do in anime duels. And duels in this story. Except oh wait, there isn't. Also, that isn't Hammer Bounzer's effect. That other effect also isn't Hammer Bounzer's effect. It's not even like you're using the anime effects...Then you start calling Ori Takumi halfway through. That's a mistake.

[b]Chapter 6:[/b] Oh good God you have too many characters...

[b]Chapter 7:[/b] The opening to this chapter is appalling. It took me several paragraphs to realize Sora was not magically teleported into the chapter, but was in fact already present in the scene. Then you switched POV from Tyson to the cloaked man (who, despite obviously being one of the most important characters, has no name and no physical appearance other than wearing a cloak) [i]within the same paragraph[/i]. You've interested even more characters I care even less about (Christianson and Raio...and Sora, I suppose). Your duel had errors again, as per regulations - CloakedMan did not search the second time Blastfan was special summoned, Summoner Monk cannot be tributed, and Forbidden Tunic wouldn't have saved Sora anyway (although I suppose it would have reduced the damage).

Well, that's all for now. Be back later for more.

[quote name='Thunder Spark' timestamp='1350773860' post='6049279']
Wow, what a genuine surprise man. Thanks so much.

I fully admit the beginning of this story was so error filled but I'd like to think I've gotten a lot better as the story went along. I look forward to seeing your comments. :)
[/quote]
That gets a [i]thank you[/i]??? Who am I, Crab Helmet?

[b]Chapter 8:[/b] I took one look at this chapter. It's in first-person. Why? [i]Why[/i]? Then all in one moment I get a complete lapse of logic and believability, and in the same moment it turns out my least favorite character has magic powers, which means he's the main character. Why must I bear this fate?

Okay, at least there's half a reason for that first part to have been in first person. These last chapters, among other things, have emphasized how something like a third of your characters don't have names. And this current chapter made no sense. Are you sure there isn't a chapter missing? Is the current cloaked person the same cloaked person who talked to Ankoku a couple chapters ago? This cloaked person is Calion, so why doesn't he act like Calion (it's possible there's actually a reason for this, so I won't hold this one against you...yet)? Apparently Calion is controlling Rai Valiant's body - except actually he isn't controlling it, he's just...manipulating it involuntarily? And suddenly Sora and Christiansen know who Rai Valiant is and are talking about him like this is a major plot point? I'm so confused. I'm sorry...this is really [i]really [/i]awful.

[b]Chapter 9:[/b] I'm trying to figure out if the names of these powers are nonsense or if you think these jumbles of vowels and consonants are Japanese...for the sake of my sanity, I'll assume the former.

[b]Chapter 10:[/b] Read the first paragraph, and I'm going to make a prediction - this turn limit is a trick intended to allow no one to win and you to recycle your villain. Let's seem if I'm right. That flashback was bald and boring exposition - also this is the only time in the entire story a Japanese honorific has been used. Why?

[b]Chapter 11: [/b]That sure was a chapter...?

[b]Chapter 12:[/b] Oh right, it's a duel. And that means we're back to duel errors. Barkion can't do that. And then when Barkion could use its effect, to negate Talisman of Spell Sealing (and he could, he has five cards in his graveyard, if you include the two he apparently used to negate Trap Sealing). Wait a minute, wasn't the card that got negated also Talisman of Spell Sealing? Did Aruda activate a second one? No, apparently he had activated a Talisman of Trap Sealing before, and used it to negate Earth Ruler's Might, a spell card, the previous turn. Except Barkion negated and destroyed it. But nope, it's still on the field.

Phew...

[quote name='Dr. Cakey Arclight' timestamp='1350791945' post='6049517']
That gets a [i]thank you[/i]??? Who am I, Crab Helmet?

[b]Chapter 8:[/b] I took one look at this chapter. It's in first-person. Why? [i]Why[/i]? Then all in one moment I get a complete lapse of logic and believability, and in the same moment it turns out my least favorite character has magic powers, which means he's the main character. Why must I bear this fate?

[b]Originally, I had done things in a "mystery", revealing backwards. Not doing that now, but you're more than 20 chapters back from where I started, many months ago.[/b]

Okay, at least there's half a reason for that first part to have been in first person. These last chapters, among other things, have emphasized how something like a third of your characters don't have names. And this current chapter made no sense. Are you sure there isn't a chapter missing? Is the current cloaked person the same cloaked person who talked to Ankoku a couple chapters ago? This cloaked person is Calion, so why doesn't he act like Calion (it's possible there's actually a reason for this, so I won't hold this one against you...yet)? Apparently Calion is controlling Rai Valiant's body - except actually he isn't controlling it, he's just...manipulating it involuntarily? And suddenly Sora and Christiansen know who Rai Valiant is and are talking about him like this is a major plot point? I'm so confused. I'm sorry...this is really [i]really [/i]awful.

[b]Somehow, I thought that trying to make things confusing would deliver a much better reveal, but it didn't work as I had intended.[/b]

[b]Chapter 9:[/b] I'm trying to figure out if the names of these powers are nonsense or if you think these jumbles of vowels and consonants are Japanese...for the sake of my sanity, I'll assume the former.

[b]I'm not an expert in Japanese, but I do use genuine translations, I don't just type a bunch of letters on the keyboard. Either way though, I mean it's a made-up story, so I guess the names wouldn't matter anyway.[/b]

[b]Chapter 10:[/b] Read the first paragraph, and I'm going to make a prediction - this turn limit is a trick intended to allow no one to win and you to recycle your villain. Let's seem if I'm right. That flashback was bald and boring exposition - also this is the only time in the entire story a Japanese honorific has been used. Why?

[b]I'll be the first to say I'm still not good with backstory. I've gotten a bit better, but for the most part, I still struggle giving people a reason to care. It's something I'm still trying to work on.[/b]

[b]Chapter 11: [/b]That sure was a chapter...?

[b]Idk if that was sarcastic or not, based on the previous comments, so I'll leave this as-is.[/b]

[b]Chapter 12:[/b] Oh right, it's a duel. And that means we're back to duel errors. Barkion can't do that. And then when Barkion could use its effect, to negate Talisman of Spell Sealing (and he could, he has five cards in his graveyard, if you include the two he apparently used to negate Trap Sealing). Wait a minute, wasn't the card that got negated also Talisman of Spell Sealing? Did Aruda activate a second one? No, apparently he had activated a Talisman of Trap Sealing before, and used it to negate Earth Ruler's Might, a spell card, the previous turn. Except Barkion negated and destroyed it. But nope, it's still on the field.

Phew...
[/quote]

Your last paragraph confused me. In the anime-rules style of the show, I made it so Barkion could negate Traps that were already active. Let's face it, the anime bends the rules often and technically a trap is still "activating", but that's irrelevant. That duel was too poorly drawn out and it ended up lacking so much.

Like I said, the first story arc was very, very poorly done. I don't know why people have stuck with me this far but I'm actually content with where I'm at in the story and to have people like Umbra tell me it's getting good is definitely a confidence booster. Still, I'm interested to see if your comments improve (in the sense of whether or not you liked what you read) as you get further into the story.

Of course I appreciate the reviews. You're being honest and critical and that's the best way for me to learn and improve.

[quote name='Thunder Spark' timestamp='1350864729' post='6050232']
Your last paragraph confused me. In the anime-rules style of the show, I made it so Barkion could negate Traps that were already active. Let's face it, the anime bends the rules often and technically a trap is still "activating", but that's irrelevant. That duel was too poorly drawn out and it ended up lacking so much.

Like I said, the first story arc was very, very poorly done. I don't know why people have stuck with me this far but I'm actually content with where I'm at in the story and to have people like Umbra tell me it's getting good is definitely a confidence booster. Still, I'm interested to see if your comments improve (in the sense of whether or not you liked what you read) as you get further into the story.

Of course I appreciate the reviews. You're being honest and critical and that's the best way for me to learn and improve.
[/quote]
The anime actually doesn't bend the rules, really - with the advent of Zexal, the only differences now seem to be lower Life Points, no special Damage Step rules, and no Missing the Timing, which is fine because they're confusing and stupid. I get what you mean, but when you feel forced to change cards, that's a hint you should probably be using custom cards.

Also, you take criticism way too well.

[b]Chapter 13:[/b] OMGWTFLOL custom card? I was just talking about that...AND ANOTHER ONE OMGOMGOMG. AND ANOTHER ONE OMGOMGOMG. Well, this is my favorite chapter so far. And no duel errors...

[b]Chapter 14: [/b]That sure was a chapter...that's my comment when I can't quite think of any commentary for the chapter, I guess. Things are definitely getting better. [s]At the current rate, Chapter 50 might even be readable[/s] Kidding.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey Arclight' timestamp='1351037769' post='6052046']
The anime actually doesn't bend the rules, really - with the advent of Zexal, the only differences now seem to be lower Life Points, no special Damage Step rules, and no Missing the Timing, which is fine because they're confusing and stupid. I get what you mean, but when you feel forced to change cards, that's a hint you should probably be using custom cards.

Also, you take criticism way too well.

[b]Chapter 13:[/b] OMGWTFLOL custom card? I was just talking about that...AND ANOTHER ONE OMGOMGOMG. AND ANOTHER ONE OMGOMGOMG. Well, this is my favorite chapter so far. And no duel errors...

[b]Chapter 14: [/b]That sure was a chapter...that's my comment when I can't quite think of any commentary for the chapter, I guess. Things are definitely getting better. [s]At the current rate, Chapter 50 might even be readable[/s] Kidding.
[/quote]

It's my honest opinion that if you can't take criticism with open arms, you shouldn't be writing (or doing whatever it is you're doing, rather) at all. Such a thing is essential and there's always room to improve. [s]I ain't no Jack Witt, dawg.[/s]

Anyway, I'd like to think the story really starts to pick up with Episode 16, which is the start of the Houshou Island Arc, where we go back in time ten years for some back story that will be relevant later. I had to spend a lot of time filling in missed plot points because of how I tried to be "clever" at the beginning of the story.

I really do think it's like an entirely different story once you get past the first fifteen Chapters.

[spoiler=Episode 36: Cure for Defeat]

For what felt like the first time in forever, the park in downtown Neo Domino, Atlas Gardens, was bustling with people of all shapes and sizes, dueling, socializing, just getting together and hanging out; the dark cloud that had been hanging over Neo Domino, though people hadn’t actually realized it was there, had taken its leave with Alice’s defeat two weeks prior. Birds were singing, bees were buzzing, in the grandest sense of the word, things had finally returned to normal. Or at least, as normal as they could be for a city that had nearly been destroyed without realizing it.

Sure, things weren’t going to stay like this for long. Those involved in the fight were well aware of this. However, there was nothing wrong with taking a day or two just to relax and enjoy the peace, especially after everything that had happened. Kenji’s condition was far more stable than it had been, and the doctors informed Sora he would make a full recovery, miraculously. One of the doctors had remarked that someone in Kenji’s condition shouldn’t have been able to breathe at all, while questioning how he had ended up in such a state, but that was not an answer Sora could give. He just played dumb, “yes-ing” all of their questions while trying to have faith in his friend’s ability to recover.

Over the course of the past week, Sora had made an effort to visit with Kenji every day, while also honoring the doctor’s request to give him some time to rest, as well. He brought his friend up to speed with the events that followed the duel with Alice, and both of them were on the same page. Kenji had expressed his appreciation for Sora’s valiant efforts numerous times, but with each apology came a sign of disappointment. Not intentional, but Kenji had lead himself to believe that he was responsible for keeping the younger Sora safe, and again had failed.

Sora assured him it was alright; they were a team and in such a team, no one person had more responsibility than the other. Still, Kenji felt off.

---

Back in the park, a group of duelists had gathered around as an interesting spectacle was about to begin. A young boy by the name of Jared, who had to be no more than twelve years old, had been standing around with his friends looking for an opponent. With all of his playful ranting and rambling, people found him annoying, and no one would accept his challenge, if only because they had no desire to listen to him stand there and yell, looking like a complete fool.

As they had prepared to scatter, something grabbed their attention. Someone had decided to answer Jared’s challenge, and he certainly wasn’t a city regular. This guy was a wacko in the most clear-cut sense of the word. Atop his head sat a faux-hawk, bright yellow in color to the point of almost being an obscenity. More than a hint of arrogance in his voice, the teen introduced himself as “Silver”, and said he’d gladly accept Jared’s challenge, thus creating a scenario in which no one wanted to watch, but no one wanted to look away, either.

“So, you wanna face me?” Jared taunted. “You’ve got no idea what you’re in for, mister! My parents bought me a Deck full of the strongest and most powerful cards! You’re gonna get crushed!”

“Well isn’t that cute, your mommy built your Deck for you,” Silver cackled, drawing his starting hand. “Whatt’ya say we make this duel interesting, then? I say we play for keeps, my Deck against yours.”

Jared grinned at the idea. After he won and took all this guy’s cards, his friends would have no choice but to admit how cool he was, and that he was totally the best duelist in the group. “You’re on, but I’m not sure that’s the best idea for you, you’re about to get your butt kicked!” His friends cheered him on from the sidelines, and leading some of the people to peak interest at Silver’s cocky demeanor.

“I admire your enthusiasm kid,” Silver remarked, almost definitely in a mocking tone. “Tell ya what; to make it a bit more even, I’ll consider the duel to end in your favor if I don’t win by the end of my first turn.”

There was a collective response of shock from the bystanders. Jared found it amusing, laughing to himself. “Yeah right, like that’s gonna happen! Hey, you’re the one making the challenge, so you’re on. Can you guys believe this guy?” He looked back to his friends. “Looks like we’re gonna have some brand new cards to play with after this.”

“Duel!” They both exclaimed, activating their duel disks.

---

Jared's eyes flushed with excitement as he glanced over the cards he was holding. He knew the perfect starting play. "I doubt you'll get over this, come on, Giant Soldier of Stone (2000), in Defense Mode!" His friends cheered him on from the background as the earth in front of him began to crackle, a large, scraggly stone warrior emerging from beneath the soil. With two stone swords across its chest, Giant Soldier of Stone knelt down onto a horizontal card frame. "Next, I'll toss a card face-down! I bet you're not so tough now, are you? You think you can beat Jared Takemini in one turn? Messin' with the wrong guy!"

[i]Such an ignorant brat.[/i] "Yes, I suppose you've put me at quite a crossroads." Silver flashed a hidden smile. "But I'll give it my best shot, regardless." He drew with a quick swipe of his sixth card, grinning hellishly at the cards he held. Just what I needed. "I'll begin with this, Delta Warrior "X" (1000), in attack mode."

[spoiler=Delta Warrior "X"]
Level 4/LIGHT
Warrior / Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Delta Warrior "Y" from your Deck in face-up Attack Position. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of "Delta Warrior "Z"": You can Special Summon 1 "Delta Warrior "Y"" from your Deck. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster or an Xyz Material Monster, except for the Summon of a "Delta" monster.
1000/1000[/spoiler]

"But wait," Jared interrupted, drawing a blank. "There's nothing there!" And he wasn't alone, either. The crowd around him were surprised to see, or not see, for that matter, that despite Silver having summoned a monster, no hologram or vizualization of any kind had appeared before them.

"I'm afraid there is, boy." Silver cackled in response. "It's just that you're far too weak to be able to see it, you see? Moving on, I will use my monster's special ability, which allows me to Special Summon Delta Warrior "Y" from my Deck!" He shuffled through his Deck quickly and grabbed the card, placing it onto the duel disk. A horizontal card appeared in front of him, but again no monster materialized.

[spoiler=Delta Warrior "Y"]
Level 4/LIGHT
Warrior / Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Delta Warrior "Z"" from your Deck. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of "Delta Warrior "X"": You can Special Summon 1 "Delta Warrior "Z"" from your Deck.
1000/1000[/spoiler]

I don't get it, how come I can't see any of his monsters? Jared became increasingly confused - what sense did it make for the duel disk, the purpose of which was to 'bring the monsters to life', so to speak, to work like this? It was like the monsters themselves were invisible, but why?

"Finally, because Delta Warrior "Y" was Special Summoned, I can bring the third and final piece to the field, Delta Warrior "Z"!" The monster rose forth, or, something, though no one could see any noticeable differences. Silver smiled to himself, pleased with the people's reactions.

[spoiler=Delta Warrior "Z"]
Level 4/LIGHT
Warrior / Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Delta Warrior "X"" from your Deck. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of "Delta Warrior "Y": You can Special Summon 1 "Delta Warrior "X"" from your Deck. This card cannot be used as Synchro Material or Xyz Material except for the Summon of a "Delta" monster.
1000[/spoiler]

"Here's where the bet we made comes into fruition! With all three monsters, I shall build the Overlay Network to Xyz Summon, [url=http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/InvertRemix/monstecard.jpg]Delta Warrior "XYZ"[/url] (2000)!" A strong force of energy shot across the duel field as the three invisible monsters combined into one. With a crashing howl, the shredding claws of the vicious sphinx-like creature appeared on the field, its mane blowing in the wind behind it. The off-shade of purple that colored its body was a representation of the venom inside it, that which housed its special ability.

[i]I'm not worried, I've got this.[/i] Jared nodded his head to let his friends now he was still in this. His face down card, 'Negate Attack', would stop his Giant Soldier of Stone from being destroyed, and from there, he'd be able to really unleash his fury, and win a bunch of new cards at the same time.

The crowd gathered 'round the duel was full of mixed chatter, many of them frightened by the beast, which was very much visible contrary to the other monsters.

---

Sora felt his senses perk up quickly. Mistaking it would have been impossible, and it certainly snapped him out of his daydreaming state. Inside his head, he heard Kioshi call out to him.

"So I take it you've felt it, too?" The spirit asked.

"Instantly." Sora stood up, exiting the hospital's waiting room and stepping outside. "A major amount of Rakurai, released all at once, like it had been compressed before or something. I can pick up on these things within seconds, but this one was delayed. Not only that, but it shook my senses, too. This is a stronger force than we've faced before. What could it be?"

"I'm not sure," Kioshi said. "I can't get much of a reading on it, and since most of my information comes from absorbing what you see in the physical world, I'm helpless if you have no visualization. Kenji's going to have to continue to rest a while, perhaps we should try and find the source."

"I'm on it." Stay strong, Kenji. You'll be back on your feet before you know it. Sora looked back at the door for a moment, then took off down the street, following nothing but his senses.

---

"You still look quite confident," Silver remarked. "I don't like that, it's time to change things. I would not have made such a bet if I could not follow through on it, so allow me to explain my Delta Warrior's special ability. Any time your Life Points would increase, Delta Warrior makes it so you take that as damage, instead." He smirked.

"I guess it's a good thing you can't even think about breaking through my Stone Soldier!" Jared exclaimed, to cheers from his friends. Meanwhile, the crowd was very much intrigued, while some of them were frightened. There was an awfully eerie feel to this whole thing.

"I don't need to," he said. "Because you see, once per turn, I'm allowed to increase your Life Points by my Delta Warrior's attack points!"

"Wait a minute, why would you want to -" Jared stopped himself, putting two and two together rather slowly. Oh no!

"I'm glad to see you've finally caught on," the slimy duelist responded. "I've had to use but two cards to defeat you. The first was my Delta Warrior "X", and this is the second, Delta Blast Accel!"

[spoiler=Delta Blast Accel]
Normal Spell Card
Target 1 face-up "Delta" monster you control; double its ATK until the End Phase, but it cannot attack your opponent directly.[/spoiler]

[b]Delta Warrior "XYZ": 2000 * 2 = 4000[/b]

[i]"Did he really just pull off an OTK?"[/i]
[i]"No way, he's gonna win this turn!"[/i]
[i]"I can't believe what I'm seein..."[/i]

Just some of the responses from the crowd, now in awe as Silver commanded the entire field, leaving Jared at a loss for words.

"So then, prepare to lose!" Silver beckoned his monster into battle, as it stood up, forming a sphere of neon red energy in its right hand. "Go, Chaos Ray!"

Jared watched helplessly as the attack headed towards him, but as it got closer, he began to feel actual heat, like it was real or something, brightening as it neared him and causing him to literally sweat.

[b]Jared's Life Points: 0[/b]

---

He could hear the sounds of Silver's menacing laughter from across the field, but they were suddenly drowned out as the blast reached him. In a mere second, an arm reached out, pulling him out of the crossfire and hurling him to the left as he crashed into where his friends were standing. The blast struck the ground and exploded on impact, incinerating the 4x4 area of grass in which Jared had been standing, and then some.

After his fit of laughter calmed down, Silver looked across the way, expecting to see the shattered remains of the duelist he had just beaten. Instead stood a new figure, clad in a silver cloak that covered the majority of his face, and adjourned with dark blue along the front and sides. The blast had struck exactly where the figure was standing, but there wasn't a scratch on him.

[i]There's no way, he couldn't have seen the attack until it was within range, how could he have dodged it in time?[/i]

"Pleasure to meet you." Moving back the cloak, the figure revealed a matching duel disk on his right arm. "The name's Orii Ryusuke. You'll have to pardon me for interrupting your duel there, but I'm not an avid supporter of violence against children."

"What the..." Silver asked. "I don't know what you're talking about, we were dueling!"

"Do you really expect to fool me with such mediocre movements?" Orii asked, motioning to the ground around him. "I find it funny you had the nerve to call the boy out on being weak, when in reality you're not that much stronger. You utilize so much of your power concealing the Rakurai in your attacks that upon actually striking, they're nearly effortless to resist. I can see your movements, but even if I could not, they don't pack enough of a punch to be of any serious nature. Picking on someone weaker than you? Hmph, what a coward's tactic. Though I guess I'll make an exception and do the same." Orii replied, activating his duel disk. "What do you say to a duel? Same terms apply. If you can win before I take my second turn, the Deck is yours."

"I..." Silver wasn't sure how to respond - he hadn't been told he would be facing anyone of such a power level. [i]They said they only wanted me to collect some cards, not-[/i]

"Good, I'm glad you agree." Orii wasn't going to give him much of an option. "Let's duel!"

[b]To be continued...[/b][/spoiler]

Beginning of the Fourth Story Arc...

[spoiler=Don't read until after the Episode]

- Just to clear up any confusion, two weeks have passed since the conclusion of Alice's part of the Arc.

- Orii[i] is[/i] the same character from the beginning, the one that worked under Takumi Moreno and alongside Yoruki and the one that was told to join up with Kenji and Sora; how he got his powers and the like will be explained, obviously, but I wanted to leave a nice cliffhanger.[/spoiler]

Alright, new Arc, new characters... this should work. Is that Jared kid important, or just a fall guy to introduce Silver and/or Orii (apparently again, in Orii's case). For the Delta cards? Broken. Just plain ol' broken. They encourage spamming, and just having one forces an Xyz combo. And the Spell that boosts the ATK of a Delta monster? Just ASKING for OTKs. Though, if you look online, you should find a few OTK recipes out there, if you want to use them.

Finally got a new Chapter posted after I had a week or so to catch up and do some story planning. I'm actually very excited about the general direction of the story from here on out, and we'll be ending @ Chapter 75, meaning we're more than half way there. I'm hoping to pick up some more readers, and I'll definitely make an effort to re-cap important things as necessary in the story just to make sure people don't get lost.

The duels in the next few Chapters are definitely going to be something worth looking forward to, provided I can get the duel-writing where I'd like it to be. Appreciate any and all feedback here guys, if you read, it only takes a second to comment, so don't hesitate to do so!

[spoiler=Episode 37: Preparing for the Grand Showdown!]

"You'll have to forgive me, but I'm not interested in standing around and getting to know you," Orii had already drawn his sixth card, asserting himself to make the first move. "I'm already discouraged about having to face someone of your caliber as it is."

"Talking quite a big game, aren't you?" Silver asked. "I'm not sure why you're so confident; perhaps you didn't catch it, or maybe it's just short-term memory, but I've mastered the one-turn kill. I wouldn't have made such a wager if I wasn't sure I could follow through with it. Even if you do make the first move, it'll be the only one you have the opportunity to make."

"Then I had better make it count," Orii said, and the cloak covering his face struggled to remain there with the strong winds around them, created from the force of Silver's attack. "So, shall we begin? I'll throw a monster face-down in Defense Mode, and Set one. That'll do it."

Silver simply stared, not offering a response.

"One face-down card should do it," Orii passed the turn.

"Unlike you, I have no intention of wasting time, summon Anchor Knight (1500)!" A mechanical creature with two arms, comprised entirely of chain and connected to an anchor at the center, appeared on the field. "With Anchor Knight's effect, I can send three cards from my hand to the Graveyard, and if I do, you take a grand ol' seven-hundred points of damage for each one!"

Those three cards he's discarding, if my intuition is correct, that's exactly how he plans to set-up for his OTK finish! Orii readied himself. He had an out to this, but it would be chancy. There was no guarantee it would work. Still, Silver was predictable enough in his movements that such a thing was probably easy to counter. Or at least he hoped.

[spoiler=Anchor Knight]
****/WIND
Warrior / Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can discard up to 3 cards; inflict 700 damage to your opponent for each card discarded this way. The effect of "Anchor Knight" can only be used once per turn.
1500/1500[/spoiler]

"Now, by discarding Delta Warrior "X", "Y", and "Z", and you're about to be a sinking ship!" With Silver's 'taunting' words, Anchor Knight hurried to prove its namesake, releasing the chains and firing the anchor straight across the field as it crashed into the ground righht at Orii's feet. The shockwave surrounding it ruffled up the nearby area pretty good, but Orii came away unscathed, much to Silver's dismay.

[b]Orii's Life Points: 1900[/b]

[i]What is it with this guy?[/i] Silver swung his arm out in a fit of rage, nearly losing his duel disk in the process. [i] How is he able to avoid the Rakurai from my attacks? It's strange enough he was able to detect the way it works, but that he's able to counter it on top of that makes no sense. He didn't even move a muscle![/i]

"Bit frustrated there?" Orii asked, drawing more anger from his adversary. "I guess it's only fair to enlighten you, otherwise you'll continue to make yourself look the fool. My abilities are different than most, in that they're not structured in the normal 5 Stage order. While it's true there is Rakurai inside me, I'm able to use that power to control and materialize Rakurai in the air, bending and conforming it into whatever shapes and sizes I wish, at will."

"Something like that must take an immense amount of focus!" Silver exclaimed, unaware he was stating the obvious. "Surely someone as weak and fool-minded as you, especially because you decided to challenge me to a duel, would lack the mind-power necessary to control it as you say. You're bluffing."

With a smirk, Orii replied, "The funny part is, whether I'm bluffing or not does nothing to change the outcome of this duel. The terms we agreed to were simple; you win in one turn and you get my Deck. If not, I get yours. This isn't so much a duel as it is a test of strength, now is it?" Orii's eyes - about the only part of his body revealed due to the nature of the cloak, met Silver's briefly. "It's up to you, really, whether you want to take the risk then. Go ahead and do what you need to in order to finish this duel, if you think you can."

"Mocking me, are you?" Silver replied. "That won't be tolerated! Fine, as you wish! I activate the Spell Card Delta Recursion!" A horizontal hologram appeared before him, depicting one of the "Delta Warrior" monsters. "Delta Recursion can be activated if a 'Delta Warrior' monster was sent to the Graveyard during this turn. If so, I can Special Summon any and all 'Delta Warrior' monsters from my Graveyard to the field!" As he explained the card's effects, the multi-colored warriors from the previous duel with Jared reclaimed their positions on the field, prepared for another game-ending combination.

[i]Interesting. I figured he'd make a move like that; getting Delta Warrior 'XYZ' on the field is his win condition, but it appears the Deck is designed to allow more than one way to get the opponent's Life Points lowered first.[/i] Orii examined the field, nodding his head slightly. [i]What that means is, if he doesn't draw the Spell Card that would allow him to modify 'XYZ's attack points, he can use other means, such as Anchor Knight, to get the Life Points down low enough so Delta Warrior can put the finishing touches on the battle. It really is a sound strategy. Of course, it's all in the timing and I believe that's where he's going to slip up.[/i]

"Feelin' scared yet?" Silver exclaimed, commanding his monsters to combine. "You should be, because now I'll build the Overlay Network to Xyz Summon the monster that will end this duel, Delta Warrior 'XYZ'!"

Orii felt the full force of the purple chimera's rage as the creature was released from the card, screeching a roar that would make even the strongest of warriors fear for their lives. With vile venom spewing from its mouth, it stomped upon the field, finding a comfortable position and kneeling down, ready to strike at a moment's notice.

---

Meanwhile, Sora felt the effects as well. Before he could respond, Kioshi called out to him from within his mind. "There it is again! Only this time it feels even stronger; this energy, it is different than what we felt before!"

Sora nodded, though he wasn't sure why as no one was around to see him. "I agree, I can sense it too, it's certainly more powerful." He was running, at a rapid pace no less, towards the source of the power, and though they had lost the signal briefly, he could feel it even stronger than the first time, and was headed in that direction, worrying about Kenji all the while.

The duel itself was taking place about half-way across town from the medical facility where Kenji was being held, and though the exact whereabouts were unknown to Sora himself, he was on the right track, getting closer by the second. But what awaited them once they arrived?

---

Aside from having putrid breath, that thing's not a charmer. It's all or nothing now. Silver only had two cards in his hand, one of which, Orii had assumed, was entirely useless. The other one he expected to see played, specifically to take out the face-down card on his field. Doing so would theoretically allow Delta Warrior's attack to go through unscathed, thus ending the duel. But it wasn't going to work like that. At least that was the plan. So come on then, let's see where this goes.

"You don't look as scared as I expected," Silver said, snottily. "Then again, you're hiding the majority of your face so maybe I'm just not reading it too well. After all, I'd hide my face too if I was as much of an embarassment as you've proven to be. You know you'd think, especially after seeing the fate the boy met just moments before our duel began, that you would have taken advantage of the one turn you had to make a move, and use it to try and protect yourself better. Playing a weak monster in Defense Mode and just one face-down card? What did you hope to accomplish?"

The question rhetorical, Orii had no response. He just waited.

"No answer? Well then, too bad for you! Because now I activate the Spell Card Night Beam!" A neon-green bullseye appeared in the center of Orii's face-down card, Dimensional Prison. More than likely, an attack would not have been the game-plan, but that didn't make a difference. He hadn't set the card as anything more than a bluff to begin with. Before he could respond, a blast was fired directly at the bullseye, causing the card to reveal itself and explode into pixels. "Heh, how pathetic! I didn't even have to destroy that card - it wouldn't have saved you! Oh well, at least now I'll have an entirely clean victory!"

The crowd gathering around the two had nearly doubled in size - people were beginning to take Silver's presence very seriously and - on top of that - some of them were genuinely frightened by the Delta Warrior's presence. It may have been called a 'Warrior', but it depicted nothing more than a beast in actuality. A few of them had even felt the real flames from Silver's attack, but had convinced themselves it was nothing more than intense special effects. Regardless, they couldn't look away. Not at this stage in the game.

"It's time now," he said, a chilling cackle in his voice. "To end this duel. Delta Warrior 'XYZ', finish him, go Chaos Ray!" All at once, the creature opened its vile mouth, releasing another heat-infused blast, a fireball that encompassed nearly the entire duel field. With that, Silver began to walk towards his opponent, one slow footstep at a time as the crowd awaited the outcome. "You may have believed yourself to hold all the answers, but my Deck has never failed me, and this certainly won't be the first time it does. I hope you can feel the heat, let it consume you, understand the full extent of my power, all your words were for nothing! Even an unexpected challenger couldn't throw me off my game, I have done the unthinkable and created a truly [i]perfect[/i] Deck, one that does not understand the meaning of failure, much like myself!"

The fire cleared, leaving some remnants of smoke, but not much else, as Silver reached the other side of the field to collect his winnings, both Orii's Deck, and the little punk Jared's Deck as well. All in no time.

"Getting a little close for comfort, aren't you?" He hadn't expected to hear a word, so one could imagine the surprise when he nearly stumbled into Orii, still standing. The cloak had become nearly destroyed from the blast, but he still appeared in-tact, and with a check of the Life Point meter, Silver realized he had not yet won; somehow, Orii had held on with a mere one-hundred points.

Orii's Life Points: 100

"This, this isn't possible, it can't be!" Silver shouted in denial. "Your field was empty, how could you have done [i]anything[/i]!"

"You said it yourself, you're the perfect duelist, right?" Orii said, prompting a confused response. "So ask yourself this; would it made any sense, realistically, for me to have even issued this challenge if I had no way to avoid a first-turn defeat?"

"Wha--what do you mean?" He couldn't have allowed himself to be played for a fool, could he? Silver shook his head in frustration; something wasn't right.

"Unlike your first opponent, I had prior knowledge of what I was up against, and had I chosen to challenge you, it only makes sense that I would have done so under the impression that I could avoid your one-turn win." Having difficulty seeing, Orii pushed the cloak to the side, still covering the majority of his face but revealing the majority of his hair, bright blue in color, almost sky-esque, and spiked from back to front. "I accepted your challenge knowing full-well that I'd be able to survive."

Was this entire thing a bluff? Silver racked his mind for answers, but Orii's field was empty. Surely, if he had a counter, he would've had to play something. [i]Grr...I refuse to be played for a fool![/i]

"My Extra Deck contains a card known as [i]Shining Silver Blade[/i]. In concept, it's a rather situational card to use, if only because unless an opponent directly activates its abilities, I'm unable to bring it out," Orii explained, having gained the crowd's full attention. "However, your Delta Warrior 'XYZ' has done just that. If I don't control any cards on my field, and I would then take effect damage, I can reduce that damage so that regardless of the amount, I'm left with exactly one-hundred Life Points."

"That can't be!" In a state of denial, Silver exclaimed, the rage burning in his eyes. "You set me up from the beginning!"

"Indeed I did," Orii said. "Just as you set him up," he pointed to Jared, who was still recovering from a state of shock. "I don't believe in picking on a weaker opponent, but gving you a taste of your own medicine seemed quite fitting for the occasion."

"The duel's far from over," Silver shrieked. His face was becoming beat-red from anger. How dare this nobody try and show him up? He'd make him pay, he'd kill him where he stood, if only it hadn't gone against his orders. "You should consider yourself lucky that I'm feeling merciful today."

"Sure, the duel's not over yet, but I'm not sure why you'd want it to continue," Orii replied. "Per our bet, your Deck now belongs to me. However, even if you were to win this duel, my abilities will keep me safe. The only dangerous outcome is me beating you, in which case you'll have no way to protect yourself from the Rakurai. I see no reason to continue this game under those circumstances."

"You think you're going to make a mockery of me?! Look, I don't know who you are, but I don't need your pity; my One-Turn Kill is unstoppable!"

In an odd move that stunned the crowd, Orii placed his hand atop the Deck, signaling for his surrender as the Life Point meter dropped to 0. "You're pathetic. You've missed the entire point of this duel. People like you are the reason for all of this chaos, and I have made it my goal to stop it, no matter who I have to take down to get there. You will remember the name Orii Ryuuske."

In a flash, he adjusted the cloak so it was once again covering him and retracted the duel disk. Silver beckoned to him, but before anyone had even noticed, he was gone. [i]Teleportation...what the hell is this guy? What was the meaning behind all of that? Master Lucien will not be pleased.[/i]"

---

"This puts quite an interesting twist on things. In fact, I believe I will forgive Silver for his insolence, for now, and allow him to live. He could prove to be a valuable asset in the tournament. Besides, in surrender, he's technically still won, and surely it would be unjust to punish him for victory. Ryuuske Orii...however I have grown far more interested in. There is a looming darkness within his heart, caused from his confusion and despair. While it is true he may be on the enemy's side, I cannot help but view him as a valuable asset. Well then, let the festivities begin!"

A menacing laughter, repeated over and over...

---

It took only a moment, the span of time from restoring consciousness to actually opening his eyes, for Kenji to realize the man sitting across the room from him, staring out the window to the outside world, but very much aware of his presence.

The surprise of seeing Calion there, in the flesh, just two weeks after the events of Alice’s attempted takeover had passed, and things had become much calmer around the city was a real one, no doubt. But somehow, he had known this was going to happen. When he wasn’t sure, but somewhere in his mind a slight déjà vu of this encounter was very much existent.

“What is it, then?” His body still shaken, Kenji was unsure if he would be able to speak so easily, but the words came right out. Waiting for Calion to say the first words would have probably resulted in a lengthy standstill, solving nothing. “Why have you come here?”

“Remain calm,” Calion said, speaking in a somewhat different tone. He pressed his palm against the glass of the window, leaving a smudge mark in the form of a handprint. The trees outside were so beautiful; nature itself, such a thing to behold. Something they were not blessed with being able to witness in the Mid-World. “With Alice’s defeat, it was of essence that CLEAR take time to regroup, gather their forces and plan the next stage of attack. I had not expected it would be so sudden, but it appears that plan has been set in motion.”

Kenji was well aware that it wouldn’t be long before CLEAR’s next move, but this soon? It surprised even him. Calion, who had always been one step ahead, or so it seemed, being thrown off by this showed just how sudden it was. Was it a move of desperation? Or had this been the plan all along? “I’m assuming since you’ve come here instead of finding Sora first, that this has something to do with me that you’re not so sure he can handle, am I right?”

The Spirit nodded. “Figured you’d catch on quick. His name is Lucien. For lack of a better term, he’s the ‘head honcho’. He’s already sent out several of his subordinates to the human world.” He paused for a moment, turning to face Kenji, only to catch a glimpse of his reaction, before returning his gaze to the trees outside. “I’m not sure if you recall given your current state, but when you and I first met, I mentioned a man by the name of Orii Ryuuske.”

Shaking his head, Kenji frowned subtly. “I don’t recall much of anything right now, but go on.”

“I’m sure you will with due time,” Calion explained, going on. “Orii is one of you, so-to-speak. He possesses the power of the Rakurai and was one of the subordinates of Takumi Moreno, then-CEO of Code Enterprises, the company that ousted Kaiba Corporation and designed the D-Accel.”

Kenji nodded. He was starting to remember now. The explosion, all the employees killed, even Takumi himself. And the D-Accel was that chip... “I think it’s coming back to me now, at least all I was aware of. What does he have to do with this?”

“An acquaintance of mine, Yoruki, gave his life trying to protect what we’re fighting for here,” the Spirit said dryly. “I lack the emotion to feel regret for his actions, as I believe he did what had to have been done. With that said, I respect his sacrifice and understand why he did such. Takumi Moreno’s design, the D-Accel, was not his own. As I’ve explained before, he was merely a puppet for CLEAR to pull the strings. The D-Accel was their way of creating a widespread network in which the Rakurai would be able to spread across the world quickly, through Duel Monsters, allowing them to harvest the energy of the duelists with ease. That, the D-Accel, is the reason that every duel has become a near-death endeavor.”

“I believe Alice had mentioned something to that effect,” Kenji said, shrugging his shoulders. “I guess that explains why I almost died back there, huh?”

“Precisely,” Calion replied, nodding his head. “But at this point I’m just backtracking, repeating things we’ve already established. That is not why I am here. Lucien has arranged for a giant Duel Monsters Tournament to be held. It is his means of gathering up all of the Rakurai-infused duelists and fighters all at one time.”

“A D-Duel Monsters tournament?” Kenji asked, perplexed. If this guy was so powerful, why resort to dueling at this point? “I don’t understand, if he’s CLEAR’s leader, meaning he’s stronger than Alice no less, why is dueling necessary at this point? We’re all weak, couldn’t he just go in for the kill?”

Calion shook his head. “It doesn’t work that way. CLEAR’s goal is not total destruction, it is something else. What it is I’m not entirely aware, though I have my suspicions. Dueling allows them to gather the energy of the duelists, by taking all of the Rakurai out of them. In a sense, once you lose a duel at this point, your energy will be no more, your powers stripped away.”

That put a new spin on things. Kenji couldn’t process the idea of being without these powers now, especially after how far they had come. How would they be able to protect the city and even the others from CLEAR if they were powerless? Dueling would only get them so far. “What’s the plan, then? You came here because you need me to participate in the tournament?”

Turning around to face Kenji for the first time since his arrival, the Spirit lowered his head. “Unfortunately, it’s the exact opposite. I need you to stay here and continue to recover.”

“What?!” Kenji made no effort to hide the shock in his voice. “But there’s no way, no way I’m going to sit here and rest while people are out there fighting! Sora’s going to need my help!”

“Listen, stop thinking so irrationally,” Calion snapped, trying to calm him down. “You’re a key part of this battle. While our goal is to find Rai Valiant and bring him home, we know next to nothing about what use they have for him. I know very little, and for safety purposes I won’t bring that to light right now. You’re not anywhere near able to compete in this tournament. It will be entirely high-risk. You can’t afford a loss, because doing so would mean your power was no more. Do you want to sit by and watch idly while your friends are killed in battle because you rushed in without taking the time to be of any use to them?”

“I-” Kenji somberly shook his head.

“The tournament will take place on Houshou Island; it’s an island not too far away from here.” He said. “I have already informed Sora and Orii of this. It appears the two of them might face some struggles getting along, but none of us are in this because we’re best friends, regardless. Sora showed no resistance, wanting you to be able to fully recover. He offered to go at it alone but such a thing is foolish and no matter how impressive his emotional will may be, we cannot afford to take such risks.”

“I understand,” he nodded. As much as it killed him to say it, continuing to recover was the only way he’d actually be able to offer his help in the battle. Calion was right.

“Then I assume nothing else needs to be said.” Calion turned to face the window once more, before making his way to the exit. “I’ll see you there once you’ve fully recovered.”

“Hey, Calion,” Kenji called out. The Spirit’s hand was already turning the doorknob, but the odd timing had certainly caught his attention. He turned his head to face Kenji, who had sat up in the hospital cart. “Don’t go doing anything stupid and getting yourself killed out there. After all, I still have a score to settle with you.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

Alright, new chapter, new arc, new plotlines to uncover and new characters to meet. Let's get started.

The Orii / Silver duel was... rather disappointing. It was over way too quickly, and with Orii surrendering, the point doesn't really get across.

Calion does provide some nice exposition for the rest of the arc, but other that, not a lot happens in this chapter. It seems like it's just setup for the rest of the arc, which - while it's understandable - is not really that interesting.

I'm going to assume that the ominous laughing character is Lucien, in which case he could use some more development. Because right now, that's all he is, a Möbius-strip of a character that definitely deserves to be fleshed out.

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1352315035' post='6063202']
Alright, new chapter, new arc, new plotlines to uncover and new characters to meet. Let's get started.

[i]Agreed![/i]

The Orii / Silver duel was... rather disappointing. It was over way too quickly, and with Orii surrendering, the point doesn't really get across.

[i]I wanna say this is like a Catch-22 of sorts. I could have gone one of two ways here. Orii, who is obviously being built up as a relevant character, could be annihilated in one turn and have no credibility for the rest of the story because of how he lost after making such a big entrance, or he could win the duel quickly, thus showing a bunch of his cards and I was hoping to save the reveal of his Deck for the tournament to give more mystery to his character. Thus, the only 'safe' way to go was Orii proving that he COULD win the bet, without actually going through with the end of the duel. After all, Silver was not able to OTK him, but he also surrendered before his turn, so it's almost like a Draw, I guess. I'm not sure; it was very confusing to do correctly.[/i]

Calion does provide some nice exposition for the rest of the arc, but other that, not a lot happens in this chapter. It seems like it's just setup for the rest of the arc, which - while it's understandable - is not really that interesting.

[i]I actually greatly enjoyed that scene because I could envision it well in my head. The connection that Calion's character has with both Sora and Kenji makes for a really fun dynamic to write. We're 'time-skipping' a bit here, because I didn't see a need to show Calion's conversations with Sora and Orii respectively, it's almost better to leave readers to wonder exactly what was said.[/i]

I'm going to assume that the ominous laughing character is Lucien, in which case he could use some more development. Because right now, that's all he is, a Möbius-strip of a character that definitely deserves to be fleshed out.
[/quote]

Indeed, that was Lucien. Don't worry, we learn plenty about him in Chapter 38, which is almost half-way done, but it's all exposition (for the most part) so it won't be a long read at all, I hope.

I, personally, think you handle the duel perfectly, or really, REALLY well. As for the rest of the chapter, it was very relevant. But I am confused about Calion.

-So he starts out evil
-Then he betrays CLEAR
-He joins the good guys
-And, apparently, he's a spirit.

Woah. I just thought he was some REALLY crazy superhuman warrior. But now he's a spirit?

Then, wasn't there some spirit that showed up at the end of the first arc, during the dragged-out final duel? What happened to him?

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1352336872' post='6063518']
I, personally, think you handle the duel perfectly, or really, REALLY well. As for the rest of the chapter, it was very relevant. But I am confused about Calion...

[i]Thanks, I'm trying to improve my duel writing abilities but I can't promise the descriptions will be perfect. Kind of focusing on the actual duels themselves right now because otherwise they're all going to be terrible.[/i]

-So he starts out evil
-Then he betrays CLEAR
-He joins the good guys
-And, apparently, he's a spirit.

[i]I believe I had established that Calion is a Spirit quite some time ago. Remember in Chapter 31, the entire confrontation with Ankoku in the Mid-World? Those who live in the Mid-World are Spirits, not humans, created from the Rakurai. These Spirits were supposed to be fused with the humans, but only happened in one case, with Sora and Kioshi. Kioshi is the Spirit inside Sora's mind and part of the reason Sora is as strong as he is. CLEAR's entire purpose for being as hateful as they are is resentment towards the humans because they're stuck in a world that by all accounts, was only created by mistake.[/i]

Woah. I just thought he was some REALLY crazy superhuman warrior. But now he's a spirit?

[i]See above.[/i]

Then, wasn't there some spirit that showed up at the end of the first arc, during the dragged-out final duel? What happened to him?
[/quote]

A Spirit that showed up at the end of the first arc? I don't believe so. Kenji dueled Aruda (in a duel that was far too dragged out, I agree), and defeated him. From there, Kimora (also human) showed up and their fight was the one that ended the duel itself. Kimora, of course is explained in the entire Houshou Arc, like how she came to be the way she is, but we'll learn more about that going forward. I do realize now what you're talking about, though, the mentions of a 'new enemy' in the end of Chapter 15. That enemy was Alice, as we moved on to that arc later on. Continuing to try and clear everything up.

---

Anyway, brand new Chapter, and I love the way this came out. I think it flowed so well and I'm excited to keep writing, so as long as things keep going the way they are, this tournament Arc should pick up speed quickly.

[spoiler=Chapter 38: Illusions of Grandeur]

“You can feel the excitement at an all time high, at levels like it's never been before! Ladies, gentlemen, and others, are you ready for the biggest Duel Monsters Championship in history?!”

The Stadium looked to be crafted by non-human hands, chiseled in an almost perfect fashion, with an exterior of sleek, black marble, only the most expensive kind and a material exclusive to Houshou Island. The project had been under construction for about ten years, and with its completion and unveiling, it was the ONLY place to hold a tournament of such caliber as this.

“My name is Ryouga Ishikine, and I will be your Master of Ceremonies for this most prestigious event! Houshou Island's first ever Grand Tournament, and one unlike any we've ever seen before! I've called more tournaments than many of you have even probably witnessed, but I swear I've never in my life seen an atmosphere like this!”

Each individual seat had been carved from marble, with the richest leather money could buy. A bird's eye view into the arena from above would leave even the most difficult of people breathless – never before had an arena been constructed in this way, and it would be a long time before one would. Houshou had become somewhat of a tourist attraction, but had always lacked that compelling factor, something to drive people to go out of their way to see the sights. Beautiful beaches, sandy shores, restaurants as far as the eye could see, it was awesome and all, but there was nothing to really capture the attention of the nay-sayers.

“Professional Duelists and Amateur Duelists alike will come together for this Once-In-A-Lifetime Tournament, with a prize so grand we don't even have the full details on its whereabouts as of this moment! Each duelist competing in this event has been hand-picked and flown to Houshou completely free of charge by our luxuriously rich Tournament Organizer, Mister Lucien Grasciou!”

Lucien Grasciou was an unknown legend on Houshou Island, and his legacy did not extend beyond there. In fact, he had worked quite eloquently to keep his reputation as low as possible, despite his flourishing riches. This tournament was his Crown Jewel, something he had been planning for over ten years, since before the Stadium's development, and it was his goal to ensure it was an event like no other. So far, things had been working extremely easily. His private jets and underlings had scouted the entire globe, from America, to Sweden, to Asia, and everywhere in between. The winner would receive a grand prize like no other – the right to a duel with him, and should they win such a challenge, a prestigious item known as the Spirital. There had been rumblings about the item and what it was, but in truth, no one knew. It was valuable, that much was for sure, and he hadn't needed to explain any further to get people to agree to such requests. A gathering of duelists, only the best in the world, would surely make for the world's biggest tournament.

“Before we begin with the first round, and don't worry I know you guys are super anxious, there are some rules to address! In the spirit of appreciating nature, the entire basis on what makes Houshou Island so special, duelists have been instructed to build their Decks to focus on one of the four elements: WIND, WATER, FIRE, and EARTH! Monsters of the LIGHT and DARK variety are forbidden in the First Round of the Tournament, and anyone attempting to use them will be immediately disqualified!”
Lucien knew that a generic tournament, even on such a big stage, would not be enough. In order to have something truly memorable, something that even the greatest of the greats would feel the need to win, he had to modify the rules. As someone who truly appreciated nature and all the true beauty it has to offer, he settled on a design that would force duelists to use one of the four main Elemental Attributes. With the popularity of LIGHT and DARK monsters nowadays, duelists were to be forced out of the 'normal' zone and challenged to the ultimate potential to build a Deck that went against the usual. He was certainly looking forward to it. In fact, it was almost time for him to go out and speak.

He stood up and clicked off the monitor from which he was watching the festivities. “Would someone please fetch me a spritzer? I'm going to get ready. We haven't much time at this point.”

---

“In addition, once a duel has begun, under no circumstances will it be stopped! In the case of an emergency, exits are located in multiple points throughout the arena, all of which you can see on the PDA's located on the front and back of each seat! Meal orders can be placed simply with the press of a button, and we ask that you remain seated as much as possible to avoid unnecessary chaos!”

The Gathering Hall was loaded with hundreds of duelists, almost if not all of them rapidly shuffling through their Decks and attempting to make last minute changes. They had arrived just yesterday, but it was only this morning they were informed of the need to play a Deck consisting of the Elements. For some, that was no problem. Gary, an American duelist, had nearly perfected his Atlantean Deck and was looking forward to putting it on display for the world to see. Calle, a Swedish Duelist and former National Champion, had constructed a Psychic Deck, using all sorts of Psychic monsters that would pack quite a punch without any changes. But there were some who without a doubt were worried.

“Rounds will be constructed in Elimination Format, meaning once a duelist loses, he or she is no longer a part of the tournament, and a return flight home will be provided for each competitor! The pairings will be entirely random and viewable on one of the many screens throughout the arena! And now, without further adieu, I present to you, Mister Luciiiiiiiiiiennnnn Grasciou!!!!”

As the servants hurried to put the finishing touches on his attire, Lucien took a long look in the mirror, smiling a confident smile. All of his hard work and planning was finally to come to fruition – the Grand Tournament would go forth as planned, and everyone would realize just the kind of man he truly was. He could hear the crowd's ruckus screaming, the jeers and the excitement, as everyone was waiting for his introductory speech in order for the tournament to truly begin. To prevent bias, he had purposely avoided speaking with any of the competitors, outside of a few specifics, but there were reasons for that...more so 'insurance policies'.

“Are you ready, sir? Anything else I can do before you head out there?” One of the servants, a man whose name Lucien did not even know and probably never would, asked of him. He simply swatted the man away with his right hand, adjusting his own tie and giving himself one last smile of self-confidence before he walked through the arena curtains.

---

From the fans' perspective, the curtain was the only focal point. Everyone was watching, people gathered from all over the world, to finally see what the hype was all about. This tournament which had almost abruptly come about had promised to be the biggest tournament in Duel Monsters history, and it had plenty to live up to.

After a few moments, the man known as Lucien Grasciou stepped through the curtain, his sleek brown hair brushed to the side in an almost overly-luxurious fashion. He was wearing an expensive dress suit, silk tie and all, and it was obvious that the man was quite well off. The people exploded with cheers and excitement, and Grasciou took them all in, enjoying the presence of the common people. He made his way towards the stage where the MC handed him the microphone, allowing him the chance to speak in front of all of the fans who had been so courteous as to partake in his tournament spectacle.

“Welcome, one and all, to Houshou Island, the home of the Duel Monsters Grand Tournament!” The fans roared with excitement once more. “My name is Lucien Grasciou, and I am so honored to have all of you here as the most exquisite of guests! Let's be honest, you're all here to see the most intense duels you possibly can between the best of the best, and I have no intention of standing in your way. I have devised this tournament to be a true test of skill, as opposed to luck. Duelists will be playing with Decks, at least some of them, that they have just recently come to understand, if they've come to understand them at all. And as they do, they will be competing for not only the honored prize of being recognized of the world's Number One Duelist, but also an ancient artifact that has been a part of this island for generations! So if you're ready, and I know for sure that I am, let's get this show on the road!”

---

“This entire situation is very off-putting. While it's obvious there is something greater at work than just Lucien himself, I have a very uneasy feeling about the entire thing.” Sora had all but zoned out after listening to Grasciou's words, but Kioshi's words snapped him back to reality quickly. “And I'm a Spirit, I'm not supposed to have feelings.”

Sora shook his head, though that didn't make much of a difference. “This whole thing is happening so fast. Truthfully, I'm worried about Kenji. While I'm glad he's not here to risk getting hurt further, his mentality, everything we've gone through at this point, I just hope he doesn't do something foolish.”

“While I understand your angle, Sora,” Kioshi said, commanding the human's attention. “You can't focus on that now. The majority of this battle has been fought on impulse, not logic. We haven't had appropriate time to plan out anything, it's all been as-it-happens. This can't be any different, and you know it. Calion was once a member of CLEAR, he knows them better than anyone, and if even he sees Lucien as a threat, we can't afford to take this lightly. What matters now is this tournament. You're an excellent duelist, and I will do my best to guide you along the way. The stronger you get, the stronger our connection becomes. That will play a pivotal role in the upcoming fight.”

“You're right.” Sora stood up, watching the monitor as Lucien prepared to exit the stadium, allowing the pairings to begin to shuffle themselves around the screen. “I don't know why this is all happening, and there are still tons of things that don't make sense, but if I'm being asked to duel, then I'm going to duel with everything I've got.”

“Just remember,” Kioshi cautioned. “Losing is not an option. If you lose here, all of your powers will be gone, myself included. You've got your Deck set, we've got this. One duel at a time. Once we can secure our first round victory, we can attempt to figure out just what's going on around here, but for now, at least long enough to get the win, let's take this as nothing more than a tournament to test our skills. Think you can handle that?”

“I don't exactly have much of a choice, do I?” Sora asked.

That was the end of their conversation, at least for now. It became difficult to hear much of anything as the crowd of duelists gathered around the monitors to see who would be the first ones to go out in to the Stadium.

[i]Searching...[/i]
[i]PAIRINGS...[/i]
ROUND 1: Anden, Calle vs. Angelo, Marconi

“Would the two duelists scheduled for the first battle please make their way into the arena!”

Sora breathed a sigh of relief. Looked like he'd be watching the first match rather than participating in it.

---

The fans were not shy towards either duelist. Marconi entered first, sporting a polo shirt with dark colored jeans, and a hairstyle to match his short-tempered, Italian personality. One of Italy's finest duelists and a former Champion in his own right, he took his place on the East side of the Duel Arena.

His opponent, Swedish National Champion Calle Anden, followed suit, his get-up much different than the opponent's, with a sweater-vest that vaguely resembled a Christmas sweater, and one that must have been warm in this heat, no less. The two of them stood across from one another, waiting for the official word to begin.

“ARE WE READY?! The first two participants have taken center stage, and it appears they are just as anxious for this duel to begin as we are! On one side, we have Marconi Angelo, an Italian extraordinaire with a flare for dueling, and good food!” The camera zoomed in to give the crowd a good look. “Standing across from him, is the much more calm and collective, but oh-so-devastating, Calle Anden, one of Sweden’s most highly-renowned duelists with a mind for dueling, and for appreciating sophistication! HERE...WE...GO!”

Marconi was up first, his inner fire just roaring to go. He had been waiting for a tournament like this to showcase his skills on a grand stage for quite some time, and he planned to make the most of it. “There`a nothin’ I appreciate more than a good a`battle! Best of a’luck to you, my friend! Draw! It’s time to turn up the heat, and I do just that with Solar Flare Dragon (1500)!”

The flame-spewing dragon coiled upwards from the ground, appearing on the field and seething with fury. “Next, with`a two face-down cards, I shall end my turn!”

“Aye, take it you’ve finished up then, but not before your monster’s effect kicks in,” Calle nodded, acknowledging the effect that Marconi hadn’t bothered to mention. “I’ve got some extensive knowledge on this stuff, so perhaps I’ll suggest now that you don’t worry about the surprise factor, worry about skill. It’ll be the difference maker if you want to stand a chance.”

“Haha! So a`inspiring to see I’ve got an opponent who knows his stuff,” Marconi grinned, making a fist and striking it into the air as he commanded an attack. “Doesn’t mean it ain’t gonna hurt though! Solar Flare Dragon, attack with Blazing Flare!”

[b]Calle’s Life Points[/b]: 3500

Calle braced himself for the attack, as the dragon uncoiled, and with an oddly low key shriek, released a stream of fire from its mouth. The attack struck him right in the chest, but the heat was all too-real, and he found himself struggling to stay on his feet. This wasn’t the first time he’d experienced this, but it could only mean one thing. [i]Well, this puts a bit of a spin on things, doesn’t it? It looks like the rumors are true. Not only is this tournament meant to test our skills, but it’s meant to push our physical limits to the test as well. The Rakurai is hard at work.[/i]

“Impressive, wouldn’t you say? Now then, a`fire back with your best shot! Let’s heat this duel up!” Marconi said, and Calle complied with the request, drawing his sixth card.

He didn’t want to appear hurt, if only because it would draw unnecessary attention from the onlookers. If the spectators began to realize that they weren’t dueling with holograms, it would cause more than a few problems. Problems he couldn’t afford to let fall on him, because his only hope of finding the answers he was searching for came with achieving victory in this tournament.

“I’ll begin then, with Serene Psychic Witch (1200) in defense mode.” A young woman with long, flowing locks of pink hair appeared on the field, clad in a futuristic pink armor that covered her arms and legs. She knelt down as ordered. “From there, I’ll place two cards face-down.” Calle knew he couldn’t afford to let that dragon stay on the field for long, but truthfully nothing in his hand could take it down yet. If all went as he’d hoped, Serene Psychic Witch would be destroyed and he could search something to take it down. Just planning a few steps ahead, something he couldn’t tell whether or not his opponent was doing.

He too enjoyed the flare of a good duel, but passion alone was not enough to win a game. To believe such a thing would be fooling one’s self, and risking defeat. Under such circumstances, losing was [i]not[/i] an option. The time to prepare for this tournament had not been very long at all, but one of the advantages on his side was the experience; he didn’t have to make a single change to his Deck; everything had worked out well. “You’re up then.”

“AND BOTH DUELISTS HAVE TAKEN THEIR FIRST TURNS! Right now Marconi is in the lead, but that can be turned around quickly if he’s not careful! A strong power play like Solar Flare Dragon definitely turns on the pressure for Calle, who rebounded by playing defensively instead of trying to mount a counter-attack! Things are surely heating up, no pun intended!”

“I hope you’re a`ready, because I’m bringing the full fight!” Marconi slammed a monster onto his duel disk, the obvious passion for dueling in his eyes. “Because I’m summoning a second Solar Flare Dragon (1500)!” Coiled up next to the first one, a second, just as vicious dragon appeared on the field. “See if you can handle this! Solar Flare Dragon, destroy`a his Serene Psychic Witch with Blazing Flare!” The witch stood no chance, incinerated in a matter of seconds from the melting blast of Solar Flare’s attack. “And now, strike his Life Points directly, Blazing Flare!”

[b]Calle’s Life Points[/b]: 2000

The second attack struck Calle directly, and this time pretending the pain wasn’t there was all too difficult, taking the full brunt of the attack, despite placing his hands over his chest to try and reduce the impact. It nearly knocked all the wind out of him, melting away some of his clothes and leaving a few rough cuts on his body. Thankfully, many of the spectators were too involved in the duel itself and the action between the monsters to notice, but damn, was it painful.

Marconi could see it, too. The pain in his opponent’s eyes brought him joy, but not because he enjoyed the pain, because to him, this is what dueling was all about. All or nothing, pushing the opponent to their limits, and bringing out the inner fire. He was far from done, too. “Now then, I’ll be ending my turn, but not before you take another double dose of heat! Solar Flare Dragons, strike him with Twin Blazing Flare!”

[i]Aye, I was really hoping they’d be out of fire at this point.[/i] He joked to himself to try and keep the pain subdued, but there was no hiding it as another blast struck him, leaving him with a mere one thousand points. And knocking him to the dirt.

[b]Calle’s Life Points[/b]: 1000

He couldn’t figure out what was going on, but with each strike, it felt like his physical energy was being drained from inside him. The more Life Points he lost, the weaker he felt, and while admittedly he had plenty to learn about his abilities, he could barely feel their presence at this point. He’d faced against opponents in these type of scenarios before, but there was nothing past the physical pain and intensity. What was different about this? [i]I can barely muster up the strength to stand. Just figures he drew into another one of those bloody things.[/i]

“Things aren’t looking good for Calle here! In merely three turns, he’s lost nearly all of his Life Points, and he looks pretty roughed up, too! To make things worse, with both of those Solar Flare Dragons on the field, neither one can be targeted for an attack, meaning all Marconi needs to do is last one more turn, and Calle’s done for!”

The words sucked to hear, but they were completely accurate. He really did have to turn things around if he wanted any chance of winning. There was still the Psychic Witch’s effect, but the concern was growing. If he was losing energy by the second, did that mean that with defeat, all of the Rakurai inside him would be gone?

If so, this tournament was nothing more than a death trap.

I am personally offended by that duel, just to let you know. 10/10.

Jokes aside, I do have something to point out. You describe Lucien as an "unknown legend"; what does that mean? It seems like the words contradict each other.

Plot-wise, I'll have to say the same as always. It doesn't feel like a lot happened in this chapter. Other than the duel, we have Sora talking to Kioshi, and Lucien taking turns with the announcer to explain exactly how the tournament works. Very little actual progress.

Oh, yes. I'm TOTALLY gonna remember a single detail, and the chapter that it's in. And even if I DI forget, we're lucky that, just by being told the chapter number, the detail is coming back to me. Total sarcasm.

Well, I'm glad that this plot is kicking off, but are either of the duelists important, or is it just going on to make the point that the tournament was a death trap? Also, I like the new restriction on the deck building, but I feel as if it's... random. At LEAST tell me there'll be a new rule next round?

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1352412080' post='6064051']
I am personally offended by that duel, just to let you know. 10/10.

[i]Love you too buddy.[/i]

Jokes aside, I do have something to point out. You describe Lucien as an "unknown legend"; what does that mean? It seems like the words contradict each other.

[i]I went with 'unknown legend' to try and convey that he's been heard of, and people know he exists and is rich, but aside from that not much about him is known to the public. Bad wording on my part.[/i]

Plot-wise, I'll have to say the same as always. It doesn't feel like a lot happened in this chapter. Other than the duel, we have Sora talking to Kioshi, and Lucien taking turns with the announcer to explain exactly how the tournament works. Very little actual progress.
[/quote]

We talked about this in detail on Facebook and I'm hoping to be able to address some of these thing at the beginning of the next Chapter. Thanks for the feedback. :)

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1352423896' post='6064300']
Oh, yes. I'm TOTALLY gonna remember a single detail, and the chapter that it's in. And even if I DI forget, we're lucky that, just by being told the chapter number, the detail is coming back to me. Total sarcasm.

[i]No need for such sarcasm :([/i]

Well, I'm glad that this plot is kicking off, but are either of the duelists important, or is it just going on to make the point that the tournament was a death trap? Also, I like the new restriction on the deck building, but I feel as if it's... random. At LEAST tell me there'll be a new rule next round?
[/quote]

Yes-sir. There will be different rulings each round; there's a reason for this ruling, too. It's actually a major plot point so I don't want to give it away. Also, the winner is important, but I certainly won't say who. :P

Now it feels like we're getting somewhere. For the first Arc I felt as if it had basic cohesion, but there never really was mush in terms of motivation or storyline. I think you have done better with this Arc so far, even with only 3 chapters up.

I feel that It shouldn't be that difficult to beat Solar Flare Dragon, but I suppose the whole Attack negation lock and 4000 LP not getting along with Burn should make things a bit more interesting.

It'll be nice to see some cool decks, whether actually in the TCG or not. Looking forward to it.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1352548932' post='6065537']
Now it feels like we're getting somewhere. For the first Arc I felt as if it had basic cohesion, but there never really was mush in terms of motivation or storyline. I think you have done better with this Arc so far, even with only 3 chapters up.

I feel that It shouldn't be that difficult to beat Solar Flare Dragon, but I suppose the whole Attack negation lock and 4000 LP not getting along with Burn should make things a bit more interesting.

It'll be nice to see some cool decks, whether actually in the TCG or not. Looking forward to it.
[/quote]

The first Arc, as I've stated many times and will continue to do so, in my opinion, was terrible. There were so many flaws and I hadn't taken the time to really map out the story, so I was sort of writing on the fly and that's a terrible habit to get into, to not know where you want the story to go. I think from Houshou Arc onwards, to where we are now, things have really started to pick up, but Umbra's right, I do need to put even more attention towards furthering the plot.

One of the cool things about this story is the "universe" I've created in terms of the Rakurai, and CLEAR, and all that, leaves so many possibilities for stories to tell and that's really cool. Assuming everything goes well with the story, I've already got a few rough ideas for a sequel, and that's pretty cool, considering I didn't expect to get this far with it.

Believe it or not, at least in the earlier days of the TCG, Solar Flare Dragon packed quite a punch. That lock can be devastating (but now it's just a laughing stock) so I figured I'd try and translate that to the Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime universe where realistically, it's a perfect spot for a protagonist to try and get through, where all the odds really are against them.

Plus, figured I'd give the FIRE Decks some love with this tournament so it's pretty cool to be able to write with stuff I normally wouldn't considering the circumstances around the Grand Tournament's rulings.

Thanks for the comments, man. Hoping to get a new episode posted today at some point, with the conclusion of Calle and Marconi's duel.

Archived