[LOCK PLEASE] [The Final Episode] Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel: Episode 74/75: The Ultimate End Game

Synchronized

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1343075109' post='5986562']
Nooo. My poor poor mind. Oh, and i meant at any point. Has the start of the Sora duel been done at anytime?
[/quote]

Yeah, it should start in the episode. Sora opened with Valiant Knight, etc., and the duel goes from there. That's the only duel going on at that point.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1343158234' post='5987797']
Bumping this, just incase anyone else has any comments or anything, and to update that I'll be posting Episode 8 later tonight. It's a big episode, big reveal, and definitely one I'd recommend checking out.

The Arc will end @15, and we should be there relatively shortly.
[/quote]

Awesome. I shall review as soon as i notice its on. And well done for actually organising your fic. It must makes things much simpler.

I like to organize things by point, and then write up to that point. I find that I'm much better at writing when I don't try and plan things out beforehand, at least not too much. I have a general idea of where I want to go, but not planning [i]everything[/i] makes me somewhat surprised myself when I read it, which is always cool.

Of course, the entire premise of this Fic is to have a unique story that has so many twists and turns you can't keep your head on straight, so buckle down, cause we've got an interesting ride ahead of us. :D

[spoiler=Chapter 8: The Mystery Unravels, Part Two]

It was three years ago. I was rounding out my tenth year on the force, and with all the new recruits being brought in, we veterans were beginning to look more and more like afterthoughts. Why keep us on and employed when they could be putting that money towards younger men in much better shape and who were capable of keeping up with the increasing crime rates the city faced over the years. Being able to have all of these things made us far more disposable than we had been before. Neo Domino City was late to adopt a Police Department because up until the end of Turbo Dueling, there had been no need for anything more than Sector Security, and they did their job well. But with Turbo Dueling no longer relevant, far less tourists visit this once-famous city, and for that reason, criminals see no reason why they cannot do as they please.

Given the situation, I had garnered somewhat of a reputation for being especially harsh on the new recruits. And at the time, what other choice did I have? I felt threatened and my own job security was being selfishly put before the security of the city and the people who lived in it. I became ashamed of myself, finally reaching the realization that my ideals and goals when I signed up for this job had become so far from where they were meant to be that I felt like a shadow of the man I had once been. It became all about the money and not at all about what was right; I found it increasingly difficult to live with myself.

As a result of the depression I had fallen into, my performance began to slip. Things got worse, but I held on. While I was patrolling, there was a call and I was dispatched to a local card shop, where the owner was being held up at gunpoint by a group of thugs, the infamous Tyson Strong and his clique; I had the advantage of them not realizing I was there; when it came time for me to act, I found myself shaking, unable to even hold my weapon, never mind fire it. The betrayal of my own aspirations and beliefs made me feel weak; I couldn’t act on it. Thankfully, the owner complied and gave them the money with no one being harmed. I stayed away to the side and let them escape, afraid of what would happen if I tried to stand against them.

For an officer of the law, there is nothing more humiliating than being too much of a coward to protect the lives of the innocent. I was sure my mistake would cost me my job, as word got around quickly and it wasn’t long before my supervisor and the rest of the higher-ups had received the news. Of course, as you’d expect, the next morning at the station I was called in to meet with them. They asked me how I could let something like that happen and told me how much of an embarrassment I had been to the force as a whole. As you could probably guess, I knew they were right. Despite that I became overtaken by hatred. A jealousy towards those who were actually able to perform to the standards they were expected, while I was showing nothing but signs of weakness. I held in my rage, but they dismissed me from the force regardless, ordering I turn in my gun and my badge and to get my head on straight.

The next couple of weeks were no different; my depression worsened as I struggled to find ways to occupy my time, all the while struggling to hold on financially; I had some money saved up but nothing significant. Until one day, when everything changed in the matter of minutes. I was on a walk, just trying to get out of the house for a while and clear my head. I heard a scream from literally out of nowhere, and rushed toward the site. There, a young boy, no more than thirteen, maybe fourteen years old, was surrounded by the same gang. I don’t need to tell you that Tyson Strong’s gang had become quite notorious over the years, even though the members hardly stayed consistent. Somehow, they had always been able to avoid us, executing their heists and whatnot in a brutal fashion and knowing how to get away. That man, as much as I hate him, had one of the most brilliant minds I’ve ever seen.

I wasn’t exactly surprised to see them stooping so low as to threaten a young boy, but I knew I couldn’t just stand there and watch. They were slapping him around, bullying him, and the kid was scared out of his damn mind. Instinctively I reached for my gun, but found my holster was no longer there. That was when the realization that I had truly fallen from the man I had once been slapped me right in the face.

Smiling as they spotted me, Tyson and his crew knew there was no move I could make, especially not with the five-on-one odds that stood before me. As much as I’m ashamed to say it, he knew, just as I did, that while I probably could have made an effort, I [i]wouldn’t[/i]. This decision was not by choice, it was just somehow I could not get my body to move. What kind of man was I?

That’s when Lieutenant Raio showed up. At only nineteen years old, the young officer had demonstrated some of the most impressive capabilities I’d ever seen in someone, both physically and mentally. He knew Tyson’s group was armed and dangerous, and that he stood no chance going at it alone. Instead of charging in, weapons out, he offered they do whatever they needed to him, and let the boy go. A display of courage so inspiring, though not like an officer at all. He knew that if he called for assistance, there was a chance it could be too late. I always said that acting on instinct was more effective than acting with smarts. No risk, no reward. The best mentality for an officer to have? Probably not. But I’m not in this for the law; I’m in this for those innocent people who simply want to live their lives. They don’t deserve to suffer at the hands of evil.

I think I saw a little of myself in him that day; back when I was his age, I would more than likely have acted the same way. Of course Tyson knew he could have some “fun” with this, and agreed to the terms. I saw what was about to happen and I should have acted; I should have stepped in and tried to help them both, even if it meant injuring myself in the process. That wasn’t the officer in me speaking; that was the man.

One of Tyson’s men held onto the kid, while a few of the others jumped the Lieutenant. They beat him down without mercy, just for the “fun” of it. In one moment, something happened inside my head. I saw a look in that little boy’s eyes, hope. He looked at me like I was some kind of hero or something. To this day I have no idea how it happened, but there was an incredible amount of energy built up inside of me, to the point where it became visible along my right arm. It was like a sword without a handle; a blade constructed from nothing but the power and drive inside of me.

I rushed forward, and they fired shots, but I was able to deflect them all. In the span of a few moments, I took out two of his strongest men. Controlling the power wasn’t easy, but somehow it became like a second nature to me, defending those who meant something was worth all the pain. Only Tyson and right-hand man made it out of there alive.

That was the one and only time I felt and used that power. Sometimes I feel as though it’s still hidden inside of me, as though there’s some weird part I play in this story, but I don’t know.

Shortly after that, Raio told the story of my “heroic” action to the higher-ups and I was reinstated; they said they would give me a second chance. Of course, he left out the ending of the story, because, I’m not sure anyone really knew for sure what happened in that moment.

---

“So the point of that story was this,” Chris pressed the gun barrel tight against the back of the cloaked duelist’s neck. “The man who pulled me from the darkness is dead as a result of your actions, and I cannot forgive you for that.”

“How admirable of you,” the duelist replied. “Although not very officer like, I must say. Letting your anger cloud your judgment, foolish. After all, if you took the time to figure it out, you would realize that I have no connection to the events that took place at the headquarters this morning.”

“You’re not exactly in a place to be making judgment calls, you bastard.” Chris spit on the ground next to him, seething with rage but trying to keep himself in check. He couldn’t afford to make any rash decisions and get anyone hurt. “If you had nothing to do with it, then how do you know what happened there?!”

“For someone who knows all the answers, you don’t appear to know as much as you claim.” A numbing wind blew across the duel field, as both monsters were at a temporary standstill. Sora stood, listening to the conversation but not fully understanding what was going on. “You see, to me, this event has already happened. However, at the same time, it has not yet happened.”

“That doesn’t make any sense!” Chris scowled. “Quit it with this stupid bullshit!”

“Everything I speak is truth,” the duelist said calmly. “I possess the ability of the jikokusori, an ability derived from the same class that your own ability was derived from. Of course, you are far too weak to utilize yours, as is this host I am currently inhabiting, but now that I have allowed my full power to come forth, this host is nothing more than a temporary home.”

“What do you know about my abilities?” Chris asked, pressing the gun forward.

“I know you’re wasting your time with that measly weapon. In fact, if you were to fire it, you’d simply kill the body of the one I’m using to travel in this world. Would it be worth it to you, to “exact” your revenge by taking the life of an innocent human? Because believe me, I could care less, but it seems like such an act would counteract your goal.”

Chris felt his hand begin to shake; [i]There’s that pressure again. What the hell is this thing?[/i]

“Now then, you see the jikokusori is an ability that allows me to manipulate time. Granted, it only gives me a one hour window to work with, but that is far more than enough to overpower any human being. You see, the ability of the jikokusori allows me to move forward in time by a short span, while keeping any others in place. While I’m moving forward, a substitute spirit takes the places of any others around, acting [i]for[/i] whoever is under the effect of it in the most basic of mannerisms. Taking out Tyson and the other one was a joke due to the fact that the substitute spirits acting as them at the time could do nothing other than basic fighting. They didn’t have the mental strength to do anything. So in addition to this human’s ability to fight them with unbelievable strength, when the effect of the jikokusori connected their minds to everything that had just happened, it was more than enough to take them out.”

“So you can control and warp time at will?” Chris asked. “What is your goal here? Why are you using this boy as a pawn in your act?!”

“So many questions...ah,” the duelist responded. “I suppose it couldn’t hurt to answer them, because you pose no threat to me, anyway. Now that the duel has begun it must end. There is a lot more going on here than you understand, you see. You do not have the mind to comprehend that which lies in front of you. One year ago today, I was finally able to break through to this world with one mission; to find and capture a special card, one containing incredible power. I was to take that card and return to my world with it, where the power would then be extracted and used for whatever goal our Ruler so desired. In order to do so I had to get through a man by the name of Allen Valiant.”

[i][i]That name! I’ve heard it before.[/i][/i] The intensity of the moment had his mind in a bit of a chaotic state, but Chris remembered Allen Valiant quite effortlessly. One of the most well-known professional duelists the city had ever had.

“You see, though I may appear chaotic in nature, I prefer not to harm anyone, particularly humans. I believe that due to the powers people from our world have been given, it is not only an unfair fight, but there is nothing to gain from it at all. Unless it is absolutely necessary, I do not inflict harm on anyone.”

“That’s bullshit!” Chris wanted to fire, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to bring himself to do so. “Then why are you dueling him? It’s obvious you intend to kill or severely hurt him!”

“Heh,” the duelist said, “So quick to jump to conclusions. I’d like to believe Sora has already figured it out. Why would I save his life if my intention was to harm him in any way?”

“You said yourself the jikokusori can inflict extreme damage to humans,” Chris questioned, “And yet you showed no restrictions using it against him?”

“Let me ask you something. What other option would there have been? My power comes from an energy inside of me; physically I cannot fight, especially when the human subordinate is not strong to begin with. I knew with the energy this boy has, he would hardly be damaged by the effects of my ability at all. He wasn’t even rendered unconscious. It’s extremely rare to find someone with such strength who refuses to fight; most people would use that kind of power to push around and bully others; I have learned this human is anything but ordinary. I have already explained that I am here because I was instructed to do so; I have orders to follow and I will do so no matter what the cost. However I can assure you that the events that took place earlier this morning are not my doing and were more than likely caused by the same enemy I wish to take down.”

[i]He sounds as though he’s telling the truth. But if that’s true, then what I learned in that vision can’t possibly be true...[/i] “If all of this is true, then why, in what I saw, are you controlling the body of Rai Valiant, the son of that same man you wished to defeat? Rai has immense spirit power himself, but he is simply unable to unlock it.” Chris lowered the gun. There would be no violence here, and there was no point in continuing a bluff he could not follow through with.

The duelist went to respond, but something stopped him. He sighed, “While I understand the reasoning behind your theory, I must inform you, it is incorrect. The objective, that day one year ago, I was supposed to duel Allen and defeat him, then proceed to grab the card and take it back to my world. As I tried to do so, Allen proved to be far more powerful an opponent than anyone expected; he somehow managed to gain a power that had long since eluded him, and utilize it to stop me, for fear that his son would somehow be dragged into this fight. The defeat left me stranded in the Mid-World for a few days, until I was able to gain the power necessary to return here. You see, for a spirit to survive in this world takes far more energy than it does for any other being. By using a human subordinate, the energy needed is greatly reduced. Not to mention, no harm is inflicted to the human, as long as one is careful.”

Chris was puzzled. “So that’s not Rai you’re controlling?”

The duelist nodded. “In fact, I’m not controlling anyone. By utilizing a human subordinate, under the effects of the jikokusori they are left unharmed entirely, “frozen” in time until the spirit leaves the body. While my intention upon returning was to use Rai for this cause simply to obtain the card, I was unable to do so. For when I tried to make my move, I discovered that the boy was nowhere to be found; he’s been missing for almost a year, and not a single person knows of it because whoever is responsible for taking him has used some kind of ability to clear the memory of those who knew him.”

Even Sora was wide-eyed at that remark. He looked at Chris, and the two of them shared a weird exchange; something inside of them, they could both feel it at the same time, but only for a brief second.

“If your objective was to defeat me,” Sora asked, interjecting for the first time since the confrontation had begun, “then why did you save my life? Even with my strength, there was a similar power in that one, the one he called Rondo. I’m not sure I would have survived at all.”

“I don’t know,” came the reply, “maybe I felt like as much as I prefer not to associate with anyone, you were just too inspiring a person to allow to fall in such a way. I dislike humans in general, but there aren’t many like you. You lack greed, selfishness, ego, you simply act on emotion and instinct and you respect those around you. That kind of power might be a useful addition in the fight that lies ahead.”

Suddenly, the duelist jolted backwards. Chris nearly fell trying to move out of the way, and all three of them stared upwards at the sky, a weird light, not too different from the normal color of the sky, but somehow it carried a very strange feeling. “Sora Tenjioshi, I am afraid I must cut our duel short. I can assure you, I am not your friend, but I am not your enemy, either. This power I have seen in you, and in you as well, Kenji Christianson, has caused me to open my eyes to something I had not yet noticed. Eventually, we must all work together to save Rai Valiant, whether we choose to, or not.”

“I don’t understand,” Chris said, “why would you save him if your objective is to seize that card?”

“I have a very strange feeling that soon, my objectives will be different, at least for now. Besides, I don’t believe that card is where it once was. Whoever took Rai more than likely has the card as well, and that means we have a common enemy. I am not capable of feeling emotion, per se...” Chris and Sora heard nothing but the sound of the duelist’s footsteps as he began to walk away, back facing them.

“But I offer my sincerest apologies for the loss of your friend. As I too detest violence that is unnecessary, I will tell you this much. While it goes against my orders, I will do everything within my power to aid you in avenging that loss. By the way,” he looked back for a brief moment, revealing his face for the first time, “I’d suggest losing that uniform. We need you far more than the police force does now.”

“Wait,” Chris called out, as Sora watched on, somehow realizing everything he was hearing was truth, even if the source wasn’t the most reliable given the events of the duel prior. “Where are you going?”

“I have some things I must attend to. By the way, I’m not sure whether or not you figured it out, but the once CEO of CodEn Enterprises, Takumi Moreno, has died.” Chris and Sora exchanged a stunned glance. “Perhaps you’ll find some information there. Get to know each other, by the way. You’ll need it if you have any hope of returning to your normal lives and preventing the destruction of this world.”

“How do we contact you?” Sora asked.

“You don’t.” The duelist responded. “But I guarantee we will see each other again. The name’s Calion, by the way.”

[b]To be continued...[/spoiler][/b]

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1343171535' post='5988011']
[spoiler=Chapter 8: The Mystery Unravels, Part Two]

It was three years ago. I was rounding out my tenth year on the force, and with all the new recruits being brought in, we veterans were beginning to look more and more like afterthoughts. Why keep us on and employed when they could be putting that money towards younger men in much better shape and who were capable of keeping up with the increasing crime rates the city faced over the years. Being able to have all of these things made us far more disposable than we had been before. Neo Domino City was late to adopt a Police Department because up until the end of Turbo Dueling, there had been no need for anything more than Sector Security, and they did their job well. But with Turbo Dueling no longer relevant, far less tourists visit this once-famous city, and for that reason, criminals see no reason why they cannot do as they please.

Given the situation, I had garnered somewhat of a reputation for being especially harsh on the new recruits. And at the time, what other choice did I have? I felt threatened and my own job security was being selfishly put before the security of the city and the people who lived in it. I became ashamed of myself, finally reaching the realization that my ideals and goals when I signed up for this job had become so far from where they were meant to be that I felt like a shadow of the man I had once been. It became all about the money and not at all about what was right; I found it increasingly difficult to live with myself.

As a result of the depression I had fallen into, my performance began to slip. Things got worse, but I held on. While I was patrolling, there was a call and I was dispatched to a local card shop, where the owner was being held up at gunpoint by a group of thugs, the infamous Tyson Strong and his clique; I had the advantage of them not realizing I was there; when it came time for me to act, I found myself shaking, unable to even hold my weapon, never mind fire it. The betrayal of my own aspirations and beliefs made me feel weak; I couldn’t act on it. Thankfully, the owner complied and gave them the money with no one being harmed. I stayed away to the side and let them escape, afraid of what would happen if I tried to stand against them.

For an officer of the law, there is nothing more humiliating than being too much of a coward to protect the lives of the innocent. I was sure my mistake would cost me my job, as word got around quickly and it wasn’t long before my supervisor and the rest of the higher-ups had received the news. Of course, as you’d expect, the next morning at the station I was called in to meet with them. They asked me how I could let something like that happen and told me how much of an embarrassment I had been to the force as a whole. As you could probably guess, I knew they were right. Despite that I became overtaken by hatred. A jealousy towards those who were actually able to perform to the standards they were expected, while I was showing nothing but signs of weakness. I held in my rage, but they dismissed me from the force regardless, ordering I turn in my gun and my badge and to get my head on straight.

The next couple of weeks were no different; my depression worsened as I struggled to find ways to occupy my time, all the while struggling to hold on financially; I had some money saved up but nothing significant. Until one day, when everything changed in the matter of minutes. I was on a walk, just trying to get out of the house for a while and clear my head. I heard a scream from literally out of nowhere, and rushed toward the site. There, a young boy, no more than thirteen, maybe fourteen years old, was surrounded by the same gang. I don’t need to tell you that Tyson Strong’s gang had become quite notorious over the years, even though the members hardly stayed consistent. Somehow, they had always been able to avoid us, executing their heists and whatnot in a brutal fashion and knowing how to get away. That man, as much as I hate him, had one of the most brilliant minds I’ve ever seen.

I wasn’t exactly surprised to see them stooping so low as to threaten a young boy, but I knew I couldn’t just stand there and watch. They were slapping him around, bullying him, and the kid was scared out of his damn mind. Instinctively I reached for my gun, but found my holster was no longer there. That was when the realization that I had truly fallen from the man I had once been slapped me right in the face.

Smiling as they spotted me, Tyson and his crew knew there was no move I could make, especially not with the five-on-one odds that stood before me. As much as I’m ashamed to say it, he knew, just as I did, that while I probably could have made an effort, I [i]wouldn’t[/i]. This decision was not by choice, it was just somehow I could not get my body to move. What kind of man was I?

That’s when Lieutenant Raio showed up. At only nineteen years old, the young officer had demonstrated some of the most impressive capabilities I’d ever seen in someone, both physically and mentally. He knew Tyson’s group was armed and dangerous, and that he stood no chance going at it alone. Instead of charging in, weapons out, he offered they do whatever they needed to him, and let the boy go. A display of courage so inspiring, though not like an officer at all. He knew that if he called for assistance, there was a chance it could be too late. I always said that acting on instinct was more effective than acting with smarts. No risk, no reward. The best mentality for an officer to have? Probably not. But I’m not in this for the law; I’m in this for those innocent people who simply want to live their lives. They don’t deserve to suffer at the hands of evil.

I think I saw a little of myself in him that day; back when I was his age, I would more than likely have acted the same way. Of course Tyson knew he could have some “fun” with this, and agreed to the terms. I saw what was about to happen and I should have acted; I should have stepped in and tried to help them both, even if it meant injuring myself in the process. That wasn’t the officer in me speaking; that was the man.

One of Tyson’s men held onto the kid, while a few of the others jumped the Lieutenant. They beat him down without mercy, just for the “fun” of it. In one moment, something happened inside my head. I saw a look in that little boy’s eyes, hope. He looked at me like I was some kind of hero or something. To this day I have no idea how it happened, but there was an incredible amount of energy built up inside of me, to the point where it became visible along my right arm. It was like a sword without a handle; a blade constructed from nothing but the power and drive inside of me.

I rushed forward, and they fired shots, but I was able to deflect them all. In the span of a few moments, I took out two of his strongest men. Controlling the power wasn’t easy, but somehow it became like a second nature to me, defending those who meant something was worth all the pain. Only Tyson and right-hand man made it out of there alive.

That was the one and only time I felt and used that power. Sometimes I feel as though it’s still hidden inside of me, as though there’s some weird part I play in this story, but I don’t know.

Shortly after that, Raio told the story of my “heroic” action to the higher-ups and I was reinstated; they said they would give me a second chance. Of course, he left out the ending of the story, because, I’m not sure anyone really knew for sure what happened in that moment.

---

“So the point of that story was this,” Chris pressed the gun barrel tight against the back of the cloaked duelist’s neck. “The man who pulled me from the darkness is dead as a result of your actions, and I cannot forgive you for that.”

“How admirable of you,” the duelist replied. “Although not very officer like, I must say. Letting your anger cloud your judgment, foolish. After all, if you took the time to figure it out, you would realize that I have no connection to the events that took place at the headquarters this morning.”

“You’re not exactly in a place to be making judgment calls, you bastard.” Chris spit on the ground next to him, seething with rage but trying to keep himself in check. He couldn’t afford to make any rash decisions and get anyone hurt. “If you had nothing to do with it, then how do you know what happened there?!”

“For someone who knows all the answers, you don’t appear to know as much as you claim.” A numbing wind blew across the duel field, as both monsters were at a temporary standstill. Sora stood, listening to the conversation but not fully understanding what was going on. “You see, to me, this event has already happened. However, at the same time, it has not yet happened.”

“That doesn’t make any sense!” Chris scowled. “Quit it with this stupid bullshit!”

“Everything I speak is truth,” the duelist said calmly. “I possess the ability of the jikokusori, an ability derived from the same class that your own ability was derived from. Of course, you are far too weak to utilize yours, as is this host I am currently inhabiting, but now that I have allowed my full power to come forth, this host is nothing more than a temporary home.”

“What do you know about my abilities?” Chris asked, pressing the gun forward.

“I know you’re wasting your time with that measly weapon. In fact, if you were to fire it, you’d simply kill the body of the one I’m using to travel in this world. Would it be worth it to you, to “exact” your revenge by taking the life of an innocent human? Because believe me, I could care less, but it seems like such an act would counteract your goal.”

Chris felt his hand begin to shake; [i]There’s that pressure again. What the hell is this thing?[/i]

“Now then, you see the jikokusori is an ability that allows me to manipulate time. Granted, it only gives me a one hour window to work with, but that is far more than enough to overpower any human being. You see, the ability of the jikokusori allows me to move forward in time by a short span, while keeping any others in place. While I’m moving forward, a substitute spirit takes the places of any others around, acting [i]for[/i] whoever is under the effect of it in the most basic of mannerisms. Taking out Tyson and the other one was a joke due to the fact that the substitute spirits acting as them at the time could do nothing other than basic fighting. They didn’t have the mental strength to do anything. So in addition to this human’s ability to fight them with unbelievable strength, when the effect of the jikokusori connected their minds to everything that had just happened, it was more than enough to take them out.”

“So you can control and warp time at will?” Chris asked. “What is your goal here? Why are you using this boy as a pawn in your act?!”

“So many questions...ah,” the duelist responded. “I suppose it couldn’t hurt to answer them, because you pose no threat to me, anyway. Now that the duel has begun it must end. There is a lot more going on here than you understand, you see. You do not have the mind to comprehend that which lies in front of you. One year ago today, I was finally able to break through to this world with one mission; to find and capture a special card, one containing incredible power. I was to take that card and return to my world with it, where the power would then be extracted and used for whatever goal our Ruler so desired. In order to do so I had to get through a man by the name of Allen Valiant.”

[i][i]That name! I’ve heard it before.[/i][/i] The intensity of the moment had his mind in a bit of a chaotic state, but Chris remembered Allen Valiant quite effortlessly. One of the most well-known professional duelists the city had ever had.

“You see, though I may appear chaotic in nature, I prefer not to harm anyone, particularly humans. I believe that due to the powers people from our world have been given, it is not only an unfair fight, but there is nothing to gain from it at all. Unless it is absolutely necessary, I do not inflict harm on anyone.”

“That’s bullshit!” Chris wanted to fire, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to bring himself to do so. “Then why are you dueling him? It’s obvious you intend to kill or severely hurt him!”

“Heh,” the duelist said, “So quick to jump to conclusions. I’d like to believe Sora has already figured it out. Why would I save his life if my intention was to harm him in any way?”

“You said yourself the jikokusori can inflict extreme damage to humans,” Chris questioned, “And yet you showed no restrictions using it against him?”

“Let me ask you something. What other option would there have been? My power comes from an energy inside of me; physically I cannot fight, especially when the human subordinate is not strong to begin with. I knew with the energy this boy has, he would hardly be damaged by the effects of my ability at all. He wasn’t even rendered unconscious. It’s extremely rare to find someone with such strength who refuses to fight; most people would use that kind of power to push around and bully others; I have learned this human is anything but ordinary. I have already explained that I am here because I was instructed to do so; I have orders to follow and I will do so no matter what the cost. However I can assure you that the events that took place earlier this morning are not my doing and were more than likely caused by the same enemy I wish to take down.”

[i]He sounds as though he’s telling the truth. But if that’s true, then what I learned in that vision can’t possibly be true...[/i] “If all of this is true, then why, in what I saw, are you controlling the body of Rai Valiant, the son of that same man you wished to defeat? Rai has immense spirit power himself, but he is simply unable to unlock it.” Chris lowered the gun. There would be no violence here, and there was no point in continuing a bluff he could not follow through with.

The duelist went to respond, but something stopped him. He sighed, “While I understand the reasoning behind your theory, I must inform you, it is incorrect. The objective, that day one year ago, I was supposed to duel Allen and defeat him, then proceed to grab the card and take it back to my world. As I tried to do so, Allen proved to be far more powerful an opponent than anyone expected; he somehow managed to gain a power that had long since eluded him, and utilize it to stop me, for fear that his son would somehow be dragged into this fight. The defeat left me stranded in the Mid-World for a few days, until I was able to gain the power necessary to return here. You see, for a spirit to survive in this world takes far more energy than it does for any other being. By using a human subordinate, the energy needed is greatly reduced. Not to mention, no harm is inflicted to the human, as long as one is careful.”

Chris was puzzled. “So that’s not Rai you’re controlling?”

The duelist nodded. “In fact, I’m not controlling anyone. By utilizing a human subordinate, under the effects of the jikokusori they are left unharmed entirely, “frozen” in time until the spirit leaves the body. While my intention upon returning was to use Rai for this cause simply to obtain the card, I was unable to do so. For when I tried to make my move, I discovered that the boy was nowhere to be found; he’s been missing for almost a year, and not a single person knows of it because whoever is responsible for taking him has used some kind of ability to clear the memory of those who knew him.”

Even Sora was wide-eyed at that remark. He looked at Chris, and the two of them shared a weird exchange; something inside of them, they could both feel it at the same time, but only for a brief second.

“If your objective was to defeat me,” Sora asked, interjecting for the first time since the confrontation had begun, “then why did you save my life? Even with my strength, there was a similar power in that one, the one he called Rondo. I’m not sure I would have survived at all.”

“I don’t know,” came the reply, “maybe I felt like as much as I prefer not to associate with anyone, you were just too inspiring a person to allow to fall in such a way. I dislike humans in general, but there aren’t many like you. You lack greed, selfishness, ego, you simply act on emotion and instinct and you respect those around you. That kind of power might be a useful addition in the fight that lies ahead.”

Suddenly, the duelist jolted backwards. Chris nearly fell trying to move out of the way, and all three of them stared upwards at the sky, a weird light, not too different from the normal color of the sky, but somehow it carried a very strange feeling. “Sora Tenjioshi, I am afraid I must cut our duel short. I can assure you, I am not your friend, but I am not your enemy, either. This power I have seen in you, and in you as well, Kenji Christianson, has caused me to open my eyes to something I had not yet noticed. Eventually, we must all work together to save Rai Valiant, whether we choose to, or not.”

“I don’t understand,” Chris said, “why would you save him if your objective is to seize that card?”

“I have a very strange feeling that soon, my objectives will be different, at least for now. Besides, I don’t believe that card is where it once was. Whoever took Rai more than likely has the card as well, and that means we have a common enemy. I am not capable of feeling emotion, per se...” Chris and Sora heard nothing but the sound of the duelist’s footsteps as he began to walk away, back facing them.

“But I offer my sincerest apologies for the loss of your friend. As I too detest violence that is unnecessary, I will tell you this much. While it goes against my orders, I will do everything within my power to aid you in avenging that loss. By the way,” he looked back for a brief moment, revealing his face for the first time, “I’d suggest losing that uniform. We need you far more than the police force does now.”

“Wait,” Chris called out, as Sora watched on, somehow realizing everything he was hearing was truth, even if the source wasn’t the most reliable given the events of the duel prior. “Where are you going?”

“I have some things I must attend to. By the way, I’m not sure whether or not you figured it out, but the once CEO of CodEn Enterprises, Takumi Moreno, has died.” Chris and Sora exchanged a stunned glance. “Perhaps you’ll find some information there. Get to know each other, by the way. You’ll need it if you have any hope of returning to your normal lives and preventing the destruction of this world.”

“How do we contact you?” Sora asked.

“You don’t.” The duelist responded. “But I guarantee we will see each other again. The name’s Calion, by the way.”

[/quote]

The supernatural stuff has started... intresting.

And CONFUSING. For the first part i was very confuzed about the first person, and then we get lots of really awesome backstory. I think things are going to step up a lot. And... you really really like melting people minds.

and the end of the world is coming... Pretty much normal then.

All good, all what i'd expect. And, as always, looking forwards to the next chapter.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1343172102' post='5988019']
The supernatural stuff has started... intresting.

And CONFUSING. For the first part i was very confuzed about the first person, and then we get lots of really awesome backstory. I think things are going to step up a lot. And... you really really like melting people minds.

and the end of the world is coming... Pretty much normal then.

All good, all what i'd expect. And, as always, looking forwards to the next chapter.
[/quote]

This is the first Fan-Fiction I've wrote that actually focuses on confusion and mystery; normally I just put it all out there. Just to clarify for anyone who may not have understood:

[spoiler=Spoilers]
* The cloaked duelist is Calion, the same figure we see duel Allen Valiant in Episodes 2 and 3
* "Chris" is Kenji Christianson, the officer whose story is told at the beginning from his perspective, and Raio's friend
* The abrupt ending of multiple duels so far in the story [i]is[/i] a plot point and one that will be explained in due time[/spoiler]

I READ IT ALL.

Looks like stuff's just getting interesting, though there were a few irregularities in the first part of the second part of the... the part where Chris is talking about stuff at the start.

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1343173595' post='5988048']
I READ IT ALL.

Looks like stuff's just getting interesting, though there were a few irregularities in the first part of the second part of the... the part where Chris is talking about stuff at the start.
[/quote]

I'm impressed. Like what, may I ask?

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1343179157' post='5988114']
I'm impressed. Like what, may I ask?
[/quote]Just basic plotlines, I guess. Not sure how to explain it well enough.

There were a few times I just looked at what he said about how the police developed or other areas he covered and just thought: wow, that makes no sense. I'll have to look back for specific examples.

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1343182920' post='5988169']
Just basic plotlines, I guess. Not sure how to explain it well enough.

There were a few times I just looked at what he said about how the police developed or other areas he covered and just thought: wow, that makes no sense. I'll have to look back for specific examples.
[/quote]

Sure, I mean, I'd love to know where I made those kind of mistakes so if you see something like that feel free to point it out.

Thanks again for reading. ^^;

[b]Update[/b]

Chapter 9 should be posted tonight; I'm working on these Chapters in advance so by the time I get one finished, I'm already working on the next one. I'll probably take a break for a day or two after I finish the first arc to give everyone a chance to catch up and let the story sink in.

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1343225626' post='5988564']
[b]Update[/b]

Chapter 9 should be posted tonight; I'm working on these Chapters in advance so by the time I get one finished, I'm already working on the next one. I'll probably take a break for a day or two after I finish the first arc to give everyone a chance to catch up and let the story sink in.
[/quote]

Sounds good. You're putting them out at a huge rate. Something to keep me entertained. As always, looking forwards to reading it.

[spoiler=Chapter 9: A True Test of Strength]

Episode 9: A True Test of Strength

"So, tell me then, why is it you refuse to fight?"

The sun began to rise over the glimmering New Domino City, as the townspeople began their daily routines, whether it be heading to work, early morning duels, perhaps just a friendly cup of coffee. Whatever it was, they went about their business with no knoweldge of the events which had happened just hours ago. No knowledge of the destruction of CodEn's headquarters and the CEO's death.

Kenji Christianson couldn't help but wonder how long the officials would wait before releasing such information to the public. In an impressive display of effort, they had managed to restore the glass doors and the building's exterior so it would look as though nothing had happened. After all, if people knew of Takumi Moreno's death and the destruction of the building itself, as well as the murders of dozens of people inside, the stock markets would plummet; significant amounts of money would be lost and the city would go into a state of panic, no doubt about it.

Still, he couldn't understand the reasoning or the justification behind withholding the information, especially from the families of those who lost people in the incident. They had confirmed over forty people dead, if not more. Not a single person survived. Not the gunmen who were forced to shoot their colleagues and one another, and not the innocent people who had simply shown up to work that day. Whoever had been behind the event was not human - Calion had confirmed that much. While he was an enemy they would most likely have to prepare to face again some day, for now, they had to trust him, because it was the only information they had.

Sora and Kenji walked along the sidewalk, trying to blend in, to avoid drawing significant attention to themselves from curious townspeople. Kenji had decided to change into a more fitting outfit, ditching the police uniform as Calion suggested. Though there was a significant age difference between the two, what with Sora being eighteen and Kenji upwards of thirty-five, no one seemed to question the two of them walking together, they simply ignored it as the two continued to walk on, struggling to make conversation in order to familiarize themselves with one another.

"I'd rather not talk about it," Sora replied, casually. Kenji could sense a hint of anger in his voice, but he knew somehow that it wasn't directed at him; he had suspected there was reasoning behind it; no one just develops that kind of mentality with such amazing strength for no reason. While he was curious, he found it best not to push the envelope anymore.

"Fair enough," Kenji replied. "Just curious. After all, if everything he said was right, we might need to fight soon enough. We might need to rely on your fighting capabilities."

"..." Sora said nothing, though it sounded like he was going to mutter words before cutting himself off.

"What's that?" Kenji nearly walked into a passerby on the sidewalk as he tried to read the expression on Sora's face. Problem was, there was hardly one there. "Do you...do you think you can handle that? We don't know what kind of enemy we're up against here. But I know I refuse to allow any innocent people to get hurt."

"I will not fight unless provoked," Sora spoke with a stern tone; he would not be swayed. "However, if innocent people are at risk, and then are unable to defend themselves, then I will step in. After all, to get through me, they would more than likely have to hit me, at which point fighting back, though I dislike it, would be necessary."

"So what you're saying is," Kenji grinned, "I can count on you. Well that's good to know. I'm not really sure where we start with this. I've tried getting through to the station to get an update, but they're not taking any calls."

"I'm hesitant to trust them," Something about Sora's response grabbed Kenji's attention, but he couldn't put his finger on it. It was strange. "While I respect what they set out to do, my trust for law officials of any kind is very limited."

"So I guess that means you don't trust me either then?" Kenji asked, half-smiling.

"That is a different story," the boy said. "Whether or not I trust you does not matter, because you saved my life, and I owe you a debt that cannot be so easily repaid."

"Don't worry about it, really." Kenji said, although he had to admit the boy's words took him by surprise. There was something about him, and the more he spoke, the more evident it became. He truly was unlike anyone he'd ever met before. A combination of such discipline and physical strength, usually those two things didn't go hand in hand at all. "I lost a close friend; this enemy is just as much mine as it is yours, I suppose."

"I do not make enemies; I prefer to stay away from people in general." Sora explained, "It has never yielded good results for me. My fighting ability and the way I carry myself has brought me much criticism over the years. I find keeping to myself causes significantly less problems."

Kenji stopped in his tracks. "Wait then, why did you follow Calion's advice and accompany me? If you don't want to fight, then why try and pursue an enemy?"

Sora continued walking, causing Kenji to speed up in order to do the same. As he walked, Sora spoke once more. "I sensed something in that man, Rondo, the one who escaped before you arrived. His reluctance to fight at all despite being ordered to, and the energy I could sense inside of him...I feel as though he has abilities similar to my own, and if that is the case, I might be the only one who is to counter him should he play some part in all of this."

That gave Kenji an idea. "You said his name was Rondo?" Sora nodded. "Perhaps we've got a place to start now. Let's see what we can find out about this guy."

- - -

"Should we pursue them?" A female voice spoke, extremely flirtacious in demeanor. Her luscious brown hair fell to her shoulders, hardly standing out amidst the dark red leather outfit that covered the majority of her body. There was a duel disk on her arm, as well as that of her partner, that matched the color of the uniform.

"I suppose it would be fun, but let's wait a bit. I feel like killing them would be more fun if we allowed them to think they had an upper hand, don't you agree, Kisame?" The man standing next to her was about the same size, though more built. He was sporting an outfit similar to hers, appearing to be a uniform of some kind, most likely, except more designed for a man. His voice was deep, completing the intimidating aura he had about him.

"I'm not sure the boss would like that, Aruda." She brushed her hair back behind her ears and smirked as she watched the two men below walking along the sidewalk. How much fun it would be to simply catch them off guard and kill them. But no, they had to [i]duel[/i] them instead. How boring. The end result would be the same, no less, but she would've loved to get some blood on her hands.

"Oh, shut up." Aruda responded. "Once we defeat them, you can have your way with them; do whatever you'd like. But first, we must duel them; it is essential that we begin the energy collection process, and while it would be easier to simply kill them, all of that energy would go to waste."

"I suppose..." she said somberly. "I just hope that they still have a smidgeon of life left when the game is done, so I can kill them myself and enjoy the taste of their energy." She began to laugh manically, as the two men continued to walk...

- - -

[i]Retrieving data scan...[/i]

Kenji and Sora stared at the screen of his laptop as the extensive, police-exclusive program scanned the entire New Domino database, searching for any hints or relation to Rondo's name. It wasn't the most common of names, but plenty of people around the city had come up, none of which looked anything like the man Sora had seen. So far, they had no luck.

"Something's off about this," Kenji explained, "He was part of Tyson's gang. I've seen him before myself. Someone with that kind of notoriety should be extremely high up in our database. Why the hell are we not finding him?"

"Perhaps the technology is not up to date?" Sora asked. He was unfamiliar with these kinds of programs. "I'm not sure how it works. Haven't had much use with computers."

Kenji shook his head. "That's not possible. New Domino City is one of the most wealthy cities in the world. The last thing they'd do is slack when it comes to things like this." He sighed. "They always have the most up-to-date programs."

“Your up-to-date program might not be working out, it seems,” Sora replied, almost cynically due to his distrust for these kind of things. “But I fear there is a reason behind it. Let me ask you something; what happens if you try to search my name in the system?”

The officer looked at him confusedly. “You? Why?” [i]Wait a second, I get it now. If what he’s suggesting is correct, and his name won’t appear in the database, this could prove to be far more difficult than expected.[/i] Kenji pressed some buttons on the keyboard at a rapid pace; Sora found it hard to keep up, so he simply waited.

“Scanning Sora Tenjioshi...” Came the robotic voice as the laptop’s program scanned through thousands of citizens in a matter of seconds. “No results found.”

Both men exchanged shocked glances. That meant that...due to Sora’s abilities, he was somehow excluded from this system. But that was impossible. How many others were there, then? And if they weren’t recognized as existing, how in the hell would they find any of them?

“Just like I thought,” Sora said. “Whatever this power is, it makes us different from normal people. And somehow it excludes us from recognition. I suppose that might actually be a good thing, after all. Just as we can’t track the enemy, it would appear that the enemy cannot track us.”

Kenji slammed his fist onto the table, shaking the laptop as it nearly fell over. “What they did to Raio...I can never forgive that. I don’t care if it costs me my life, I will avenge him. When I had no hope left, he put his own life on the line to save me and do something that I should have been strong enough as a person to do myself. I cannot forgive myself for allowing him to lose his life because of my selfishness and fear.”

[i]I wonder if this is what it’s like...to have a reason to fight. Instead of simply fighting for the sake of it. To have someone who means so much to you that you would put everything on the line to save them. I had always sworn to myself that I would never fight unless I was provoked...after what happened that day, it is the only option I have. But this man is more than he looks to be on the outside. A hardened shell of a man who still has something to prove on the inside. Perhaps the time will come where I will be able to overcome the fear that has burdened me since that day and help him in his quest. Perhaps this entire thing will give me something to fight for once again...[/i] Sora drifted off into thought for a few moments, until Kenji snapped him back to reality.

“You know something,” Kenji said, turning his back, “I have no idea how or why we were thrust into this fight, but if the only way to stop it is to find the boy, Rai Valiant, the same one Calion spoke of, as well as that card which contains some ultimate power, then I am ready to do that, whatever it takes. Do you think you are ready to do the same?”

Sora said nothing.

“Because I fear once we commit to this, there will be no turning back.”

“And let you go at it alone?” Sora replied sarcastically. “I have long searched for a purpose, and if saving this kid can help to make the world a better place, then I am prepared to do it.”

“Fair enough.” Kenji smiled, though how genuine it was, was difficult to tell. “So it looks like we’re screwed together, then.”

Sora nodded.

---

Suddenly, a deep voice echoed throughout the building. “I think the assessment that you’re screwed is a rather accurate one.”

“Behind you,” Sora muttered, quiet enough for only Kenji to hear him as the officer looked around to find the source. The building they were in was used solely for research, so with the exception of the computer mainframe, it was a relatively empty area, one that had been used previously for underground dueling. Of course it hadn’t seen that kind of action in years, and being underground made it a perfect place to hide the database.

“You needn’t worry,” the voice said, “I have no reason to hide myself from the likes of you.”

“Who’s there?” Kenji demanded, “Be a man and show yourself!”

There was a bright flash, and a man appeared in front of them, sporting a black leather suit. He was a large figure, very frightening with a deep voice to boot. A duel disk sat on his arm, larger than most models; it had to be to fit that arm. The man’s brown hair was slicked back perfectly, creating a very contradicting look, but one that made him all the more worrisome.

“Be careful, I’m sensing similar energy in this one,” Sora looked to Kenji, who nodded. “Don’t make any rash decisions, Kenji.”

“He’s one of them.” Kenji focused his eyes on the man before them. “I don’t know how I know but I can just sense it. He played a part in that slaughter. I know he did!” His hands began to shake as he reached for the pistol at his side; the man was not fazed.

He laughed, “Is that your idea of a defense? Before you make any stupid decisions and end up hurting your friend here, I suggest you put your weapon away.” As he stepped backwards a few steps, Kenji took his hand off the holster. “Believe it or not, I’m actually here to duel you.”

“Duel me?” Kenji asked, stunned at the question. “I don’t have time for games right now! Tell me why I shouldn’t just kill you where you stand!”

“You see you could try, however baundodageki would be quick to ensure you do not succeed,” he said. “You are not the only ones with abilities; there are many of us and I can assure you there are plenty far more powerful than either of you, myself included. Call me Aruda.”

Kenji went to speak, but Sora did not give him the chance. “Why do you wish to duel? I do not understand your request, I would think there is much more at stake here than a duel, given the circumstances of yesterday’s attack.”

“Silly fools,” Aruda remarked, “You fail to understand the importance of Duel Monsters in the grand scheme of this project. I could have already killed you if I wanted to, but that would be meaningless because all of your energy would simply go to waste. However, if we were to duel, I could utilize that energy and we could collect it, which would be far more useful.”

“Our energy?!” Kenji was appalled. He wanted to strike, but knew that doing so could risk both of their lives if what this guy was saying about his abilities was true. “How is that possible?!”
“The baundodageki is a powerful ability.” Aruda laughed, a blaze of blue flame surrounding him. “You see, it has two powerful capabilities. The first is the ability to reflect any and all attacks, physical or energy based. The second is to absorb energy, allowing me to transfer and transmit it between myself and others. The more damage I inflict to you, the more energy I am able to absorb.”

“If the short duel I had with Calion is any indication, there are massive amounts of energy generated from duels like this.” Sora said; Kenji knew this already, but he nodded regardless. “Perhaps I should duel him; you can take this opportunity to escape, try and find more information. I’ll hold him off down here.”

[i]Not again...I won’t stand by and watch while someone gets hurt. More than enough people have suffered on my account.[/i] “No, I will face him. Down here, we’re safe from the outside world, if we duel, there will be no innocent bystanders at risk of being harmed. While I do, I need you to go and contact the City Director, inform him of what we’re facing here. Don’t worry about the Police, they won’t be able to do anything against these guys.”

“I’m not sure how I feel about that idea, leaving you here alone.” Sora had no idea what kind of power they were up against, and by abandoning him even if he didn’t plan to fight, they were at an even greater risk.

“Go! We can’t solve this problem all on our own, I haven’t dueled in a while but I’m not that bad, I’ll be able to hold him off for a while at least. Get going!”

Sora nodded hesitantly. “If you insist...”

He began walking towards the exit. “Where do you think [i]you’re[/i] going?” Aruda cut him off, releasing just a small amount of energy in his direction. Sora put up his arms to block it, but the force pushed him back into the wall, causing a small indent to form. The foundation that he’d hit crumbled to the ground.

“Sora, are you alright?!” Kenji called out, rushing over to his comrade.

“I’m fine,” Sora looked up at him, “It’ll take more than that to keep me down. Now, if you are going to duel him, do so. I will stay here. I can’t exactly move at the moment, but I will recover my strength and stay here to ensure you’re alright. That will have to wait until after the duel has finished.”

“It is in your friend’s best interest to stay here,” Aruda chuckled, activating his duel disk. “Now then, shall we duel?”

[i]You’re gonna pay...[/i] Kenji stood up and walked to the field, so he was standing on the opposite side of the unknown attacker. He felt the ground beneath him begin to shake as a veil of energy surrounded him, much more intense in pressure than Aruda’s own, which caught the man by surprise. The energy configured itself into the shape of a duel disk, albeit more diamond shaped, and wrapped itself around Kenji’s arm, materializing into a solid object.

“What is this power? The strength I’m reading here is off the charts!”

“It’s been a long time since I’ve felt this power...perhaps this is my own ability, though I’m not sure why or how I’ve been able to utilize it,” Kenji stared into the eyes of his opponent. “I know it won’t end well for you. No one else will be hurt on my accord! Let’s duel!”

I notice a theme of office worker genocide emerging in creative writing...

As always, both confusing, and entertaining, including more details. Who doesn't like details in stories that try and melt your face through thinking to much. I am going to have the reread this, i'm getting way to confused at the moment, and i need to remember who everyone is...

Off topic: Do you know anyone who'd be a decent Beta reader? My current one isn't going to be here for a while.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1343243776' post='5988797']
I notice a theme of office worker genocide emerging in creative writing...

As always, both confusing, and entertaining, including more details. Who doesn't like details in stories that try and melt your face through thinking to much. I am going to have the reread this, i'm getting way to confused at the moment, and i need to remember who everyone is...

Off topic: Do you know anyone who'd be a decent Beta reader? My current one isn't going to be here for a while.
[/quote]

What was so confusing in this one, if I may ask? I thought for the most part it was actually pretty clear of mind-fuckery.

I'm not sure, there's plenty of decent writers around here; I'd do it myself if I had the time, but you could try asking Agro or Serenade.

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1343244180' post='5988802']
What was so confusing in this one, if I may ask? I thought for the most part it was actually pretty clear of mind-fuckery.

I'm not sure, there's plenty of decent writers around here; I'd do it myself if I had the time, but you could try asking Agro or Serenade.
[/quote]

It's more the fact i have forgotten who everyone was... And why any of it was happening. So yeah, i definately need to reread. I have a terrible memory at times.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1343244710' post='5988811']
It's more the fact i have forgotten who everyone was... And why any of it was happening. So yeah, i definately need to reread. I have a terrible memory at times.
[/quote]

Don't we all? Anyway, once I get to the end of the arc, I'll cease writing for a few days (or at least posting) to give everyone a chance to catch up.

Caught up to the current chapter, and I must say, things are still very mindscrewy. Though 7 and 8 were supposed to clear things up, they still don't make much sense. I don't remember Sora from anywhere, so I don't know whether this is a new character, or when he was introduced. I forgot most of the characters and plots by this point, and as others stated, I'm gonna need a reread.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1343272534' post='5989074']
Caught up to the current chapter, and I must say, things are still very mindscrewy. Though 7 and 8 were supposed to clear things up, they still don't make much sense. I don't remember Sora from anywhere, so I don't know whether this is a new character, or when he was introduced. I forgot most of the characters and plots by this point, and as others stated, I'm gonna need a reread.
[/quote]

At this point, everything is meant to go straight forward. We know the characters, there's not going to be anymore mind tricks for a while; I've got to make some significant progress.

Where were you confused? Also, Sora is one of the main protagonists, Rai being the main of course, but we haven't even met him yet.

At this point, you start to forget where you were confused, and just remember that you were confused at some point. Anyway, I get a lot of it now, and if I encounter anything confusing, I'll eventually figure it out.

I'm glad that the weird part is over, and that we're in deep with the plot. I'm looking forward to the next six chapters.

Oh, I remeber one confusing part for me. So, there's a guy named Raio and a guy named Rai? (Or something similar to 'Raio'. Not sure exactly).

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1343326853' post='5989485']
At this point, you start to forget where you were confused, and just remember that you were confused at some point. Anyway, I get a lot of it now, and if I encounter anything confusing, I'll eventually figure it out.

I'm glad that the weird part is over, and that we're in deep with the plot. I'm looking forward to the next six chapters.

Oh, I remeber one confusing part for me. So, there's a guy named Raio and a guy named Rai? (Or something similar to 'Raio'. Not sure exactly).
[/quote]

Raio is the Lieutenant who was killed in Chapter 8. That's his last name; due to the nature of the police squad and the likes, that's what they called him, just like Kenji's last name earned him the nickname Chris with those who knew him. From here on out, he'll be referred to as Kenji, but Raio will continue to be referred to as such, at least until Rai (the main protagonist) re-enters the plot.

Like I said, the intent was to make a lot of it confusing, so the big reveal would have more substance behind it. Now, I'm focusing more on storytelling and actually advancing the plot.

I took a brief hiatus, but I'm back with Chapter 10. s***'s getting serious.

[spoiler=Chapter 10: The Invasion Begins]

Chapter 10: A Last-Ditch Effort! Gift from a Fallen Friend!

"You seem quite confident all of the sudden," Aruda remarked, standing across the field from his opponent, whose energy was more than visible as the red aura continued to surround him, generating more power and intensity with each passing second. It was quite a feat, unlike anything Aruda had seen in years. "What do you say we make this interesting? After all, I'm sure you've got important issues to attend to. Why not put a ten-turn limit on the game?"

"Not sure I even need that much time to defeat you," Kenji replied, blazing with a combination of rage and determination. "I won't forgive you, or anyone for that matter, for what you've done!" He could not wipe the image of Raio's last words from his mind. Over and over again it played in his head, reminding him of his purpose for fighting this battle in the first place. And then Sora, and the fact that he'd been hurt, too. There was no time to waste. "I'm a bit rusty, but I'm sure this power will be more than enough to defeat the likes of you!"

"Confident, are we?" Aruda chuckled, a sinister laugh. "Well then, I suppose we should get started, and since I issued the challenge, I believe I'll make the first move." He drew his card swiftly, adding it to his hand without looking at it. "Now, I'll place Sealmaster Meisei on the field in Defense Mode."

A light on the field gave way to the spellcaster, clad in red robes that covered the majority of his body. He placed his index and middle fingers together, kneeling down and creating a small shield to cover him.

[spoiler=Sealmaster Meisei]
***/DARK
Spellcaster / Effect
One of the few people who has a good command of Talismans. His history is a mystery.
1100/900[/spoiler]

"I shall next equip my Sealmaster with the Spell Card Mist Body. Two face-down cards, and that shall do it for me," Aruda replied. "That's turn one. Only nine to go."

[spoiler=Mist Body]
Equip Spell Card
The equipped monster cannot be destroyed by battle.[/spoiler]

"Thats what you think, but I wouldn't be so sure. I see no need for the duel to go that long," Kenji glanced over his hand quickly. [i]You put your life on the line for me, and now it's my turn to do the fighting. I won't let him get away with this![/i]

“Let’s see how well you handle this!” With great force behind his every move, Kenji slammed a monster card onto his duel disk. Aruda and Sora both felt the energy explode from the card as he placed it on the field. “Summon, Karakuri Muso mdl 818 "Haipa"!”
[spoiler=Karakuri Muso mdl 818 "Haipa"]
****/EARTH
Machine / Effect
If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Damage Step. When this card is targeted for an attack, change it to Defense Position.
2100/1100[/spoiler]

“The Karakuri are a series of wooden warriors designed for the purpose of combat,” Kenji stated, “The Karakuri army contains skilled creatures to handle any and all issues, with Haipa being the strongest of the group. I suppose I won’t waste much of your time, I’ll let Haipa show you that himself! Go, attack that Sealmaster with Wooden Slash!”

Aruda maintained self-confidence as the spellcaster in front of him waited for the strike, arms folded across his chest. Haipa raised its scythe high, forcing it down with ease, but something stopped it for a moment, a small barrier that appeared around the Sealmaster. “I’m afraid your efforts are useless. You see, I’ve equipped my monster with the Mist Body Spell Card, which makes him impervious to any and all attacks.” The enemy burst with laughter. “You are truly as pathetic as you seem.”

Kenji flashed a quick smile, just enough for Aruda to notice. “Am I? I’m more than familiar with Mist Body.”

“So you attacked knowing your efforts would be futile?” He cocked his head back for a moment, cracking his neck. “Not exactly dis-proving my words then, are you?”

“I told you it would take me less than ten turns to defeat you,” Kenji paused for a moment. “And that, that is a promise I intend to keep! Push forward, Haipa!”

“You fool it won’t matter!” Aruda spoke as the energy surrounding Kenji became one and the same with Haipa, and the warrior’s scythe penetrated the barrier, striking the caster directly. “But how!”

“Don’t get yourself all worked up now, your monster’s fine,” but thanks to the power of my Karakuri Amulet, Haipa can inflict damage to you equal to the difference in stats!” The force behind Meisei’s barrier began to implode outward, crashing into Aruda and blasting him backwards. Shaking it off wasn’t so easy—the impact had been greater than he expected.

[b]Aruda’s Life Points[/b]: 2500

[spoiler=Karakuri Amulet]
Quick-Play Spell Card
Target 1 “Karakuri” monster you control; it inflicts piercing Battle Damage. During each of your End Phases: Send 1 “Karakuri” monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. If you cannot, Set the targeted monster.[/spoiler]

“One lucky move will not be enough to defeat me,” Aruda snapped, wiping the blood from his face. [i]No matter how powerful you may be.[/i]

“Sora, are you doing alright?” Kenji asked, without looking at the younger man as he struggled to get to his feet. “Just hang in there, I’m not too worried about you, I know you’ll be good. I’ve got this.”

[i]Someone fighting for me…[/i] Sora’s mind flashed.

- - -

[i]“This punk again, I’ve had more than enough of your meddling! You shouldn’t have stepped in to help him to begin with; it wasn’t any business of yours! And now you’ll learn what real fear is, as you’re punished for trying to be a hero!” A somewhat dark figure stood, towering over Sora; only fourteen years old, what he’d been through, losing both of his parents at an extremely young age, had been quite a challenge to endure. “Get him, boys.”[/i]

[i]“Sor…Sora…get out of here, now!” Another fallen figure called out to him, this one laying on the ground at the feet of the much larger individual. He was bleeding from multiple points of his body, and fast. It wouldn’t be long before he bled out completely, and there was no way for anyone to save him. He knew his fate would not change; but the chance to save the young boy who had stepped in to defend him was still clearly there.[/i]

[i]“But Taoiren-san,” Sora called out, tears flowing from his eyes, “If I don’t do something, you—you’ll die!” He couldn’t bare to watch the man who had been his mentor, his protector for years, the one person who had taken him in and accepted him after his parents passed away; he couldn’t do it. Because living without him would be a pain far too great to endure. How was he to defend himself?[/i]

[i]“You probably should have listened to the old man and ran away while you had the chance, but since you’ve chosen to stay you’ll suffer the same fate he has,” the figure laughed. “I’ve got no conscience, killing you will be quite rewarding. Let’s not waste any time then, I’d like to kill you while Taioren is still alive to watch you die and see you pay for his mistakes!”[/i]

[i]Hands shaking, Sora stood nearly glued to the ground. He could probably run, but they would chase him and there was no way he would be able to outrun a bunch of thugs. Now that he had seen them and knew what they had done, they would be looking for him until they found him. The only option would be to stand and fight. Staring at the ground, he made a fist with his right hand. The leader stepped forward, and pulled out the same weapon he had used against Taoiren. It was a pistol, but this one was unlike others; it fired a beam of concentrated force, strong enough to literally penetrate the human body with ease. He braced himself as the men grabbed him, holding him in place. The leader raised the weapon, aiming it straight for the chest. “Now die!”[/i]

[i]Just like that, he fired. Before Sora even knew what hit him, Taoiren jumped in front of him, taking the entire brunt of the assault. How the old man had managed to muster up enough energy to move in his condition, after taking two shots from the weapon no less, no one knew. “TAOIREN-SAN!”[/i]

[i]Sora screamed out, dropping to his knees as he caught his mentor in his arms. “Pathetic, you truly don’t know when to die, do you?” The leader asked, laughing at the entire situation. [/i]

[i]Taoiren looked into Sora’s eyes, using what little life he had left, and spoke “Sora, do not worry about me, please, I beg this of you. You see, you are the most incredible young man I’ve ever had the honor to meet. You have so much kindness and moral, everything about you is an inspiration to others alike and dislike you. The care you show for others is a quality that very few people are lucky enough to have. Do not stay here; do not allow these people the satisfaction of taking that away from you. You see, the world may need to rely on you someday, and you have so much to offer. You are far more powerful than any of them could ever hope to be, and this, this is the reason they despise you so.”[/i]

[i]“It’s your fault, you know,” the leader said. “The reason he’s dying is because of you! If you had stayed out of this fight and not provoked issues, there would have been a much different conclusion. You have no one but yourself to blame for this!”[/i]

[i]Taoiren grabbed his hand. “Do not listen to his words, boy. You have shown immeasurable honor by stepping in to defend me, although I would have never wished for such a thing. Fighting for no reason is an act of senseless violence and one that should always be avoided. I have taught you that, no doubt. But fighting for a purpose, fighting for someone or something...that is a different story. Always remember that.” With a smile, Taoiren closed his eyes. “Goodbye, my friend.”[/i]

[i]“What an embarrassing old fool,” a joined laugh came from the group. “Prepare to join him!”[/i]

[i]“Don’t you ever…” Sora jolted his head upwards, locking eyes with the group leader. “…Talk about him like that!”[/i]

[i]“What the?” The leader aimed the gun, firing once more. “Die!”[/i]

[i]Sora stood up and, using the same fist on which he’d cried the tears of loss, ripped straight through the laser, breaking it all the way to the end. He blasted the group leader in the gut, sending him about twenty feet backwards, crashing into the unforgiving brick wall behind him, making an indent about twice his size. Coughing up blood, he fell to the ground. The rest of the group was quick to scatter, as Sora fell to one knee. Where had such power come from? Was it Taoiren’s death that had awakened it within him? [/i]

[i]“Who the hell are you…?” [/i]

[i]“My name…is Sora Tenjioshi.” Sora forced himself to stand. “I’m not sure where this power came from but I do know this much, I am making an oath on the life of my fallen mentor to use it for nothing but protecting people. As long as I have something to offer to the people of this world I will do everything within my power to keep them safe from the likes of you.”[/i]

- - -

“Kenji…” Sora muttered the words, “do us all a favor, and take care of him.”

“Good to see we’re finally on the same page,” Kenji nodded his head, turning his attention back to the duel. “Now will you stop being an idiot and recover? Don’t waste your strength trying to get to your feet. Take what little time we have now to save your strength because I can assure you we will need it in the future.”

“How touching, but if you don’t mind, we’re on a time limit here, and there’s already been two turns.” Aruda interrupted, drawing a card from his Deck, smiling at what he saw. “Now then, I believe I’m free to make my move, but not before you pay the cost that requires you to send a monster to your Graveyard, am I right?”

“You’re exactly right, and I’d be glad to do just that, by sending my Karakuri Strategist to the Graveyard.”

“Fantastic,” Grinning, Aruda placed a card into the Spell/Trap Zone on his field, as a strange colored barrier began to form around his kneeling magician. “So then, I begin with the Spell Card Talisman of Trap Sealing!”

[spoiler=Talisman of Trap Sealing]
Continuous Spell Card
The effects of all Trap Cards on the field (except a “Talisman” Trap Card) are negated. Neither player can activate Trap Cards. You must control a face-up “Sealmaster Meisei” to activate and resolve this effect.[/spoiler]

“This card contains quite a power,” Aruda explained, “For you see, my Sealmaster has the ability to command talismans of any kind, and this one in particular prevents the activation of any Trap Cards, meaning you’re unable to protect yourself from any forthcoming assaults! Of course, I can’t use Trap Cards either, but I won’t need them to defeat you.”

[i]What is he planning?[/i] Kenji wondered to himself, frustrated. [i]Actually defeating him isn’t really my concern. If what he said is correct, the longer the duel goes, the more energy he’ll begin to generate. That could be quite risky. I have to end the game before I give him the ability to absorb that much power. In his current state, should something happen to me, there’s no way Sora could handle this guy on his own.[/i]

“Now then, with one more face-down card, I believe I’ve prepared enough to pass the turn over to you.” Grinning, Aruda slid a card into his duel disk as a hologram of the same card appeared in front of him. With two face-downs on the field now, he was one step closer to setting up the ultimate finishing blow. “Let’s see what you can do.”

---
[i]Sora...[/i]

Sora Tenjoishi felt himself slipping into his own mind as a voice called out to him. He was subconsciously aware of the duel going on in front of him, as he struggled to move from his downed position against the concrete of the warehouse floor. “What is going on? Is someone there?”

[i]Sora...Tenjoishi...[/i]

The feint images he could see in front of him became a swirling mass, spinning and circling around until there was nothing but blackness in front of him. But not ordinary blackness; no, this one appeared to be coated or concealed within a light of some kind. It was a very strange feeling; equally as strange to try and describe to someone who could not be there to see it with their own eyes.

[i]Do you feel it...the impending danger...Sora...[/i]

It was still possible to sense Kenji’s presence, but beyond that, he wasn’t sure exactly where he had ended up. Physically, he was in control of his body, but he was no longer in the warehouse. Or was he? With no one in sight, it was impossible to tell where the voice was coming from.

[i]You know what you must do...[/i]

“What the hell is this?” Sora called out, hearing his own voice echo five times over throughout the never-ending darkness that surrounded him. “Answer me!”

[i]You have reached the first stage, but you have only just begun...there is much more to learn...put your mind to the test and you will find the answers you seek...[/i]

“Be a man and show yourself.”

Still nothing.

[i]Let us begin...[/i]

---

“Alright, enough playing around!” Kenji exclaimed. “I’m about to turn this duel in my favor really quick!” The visible energy around him began to amplify in pressure; Aruda could feel a noticeable difference as well. “If you want to wait to attack that’s all well and good, but don’t expect me to show the same courtesy!”

[i]Where is this sudden increase in his spiritual energy coming from?[/i] Aruda wondered to himself, finding it difficult to stand upright with the immense amount of pressure around him.

“Let’s do it! I Summon Karakuri Barrel mdl 96 “Shinkuro”!” The explosion of light that followed was so powerful that Aruda could not even see the barrel as it appeared. It wasn’t staying for long. “Now, I tune Karakuri Barrel with Haipa to Synchro Summon the Level 6, Naturia Barkion!”

[spoiler=Karakuri Barrel mdl 96 “Shinkuro”]
**/EARTH
Machine / Effect
Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. When this card is targeted for an attack, change it to Defense Position. This card must attack if able.
0/0[/spoiler]

As the two creatures shot into the sky, a mass amount of energy collided with the warehouse floor, nearly creating an opening as the windows around them shattered from the sheer force. The tail end of a green dragon, menacing in both size and composure, crashed straight into the floor, making room for the dragon to lower its head down onto the field. It shrieked as it did so, causing any remaining windows which had been intact to be so no longer.

[i]Somehow he’s managed to infuse his own energy into that creature! What the hell is this guy? [/i]Aruda stared up at the imposing creature; it was large, but he still had his strategy and it was nearly pieced together at this point. All he had to do was make this duel last two more turns and the monster’s strength and presence would be irrelevant.

“For all the people who were hurt...for all the people you and whoever it is you’re working for are intending to hurt...and most importantly, for Lieutenant Raio, who was never afraid to jump to the frontlines of the battle...” Kenji locked eyes with his opponent. “I promise you will not leave this duel alive!”

Intresting... Things have started devloping.

Nice to see some backstory. Always a good thing to have, on top of a mysterious voice. I am guessing its the voice of one of the random men whose voices you spent time lovingly describing.

How were Karakuri like for the duel? Did they give you many problems? As for the duel itself, it was pretty good. Aside from... the guys deck centring around the random Vannila. I think we will see more sealing thingy maybobs before the duel is over.

But yes, another good chapter.

Archived