So, we found the Higgs Boson. How about a Particle-themed set to celebrate?

Mehmani

[spoiler=Baryon Neutron EN000][img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonNeutron000.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon Electron EN001]
[img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonElectron001.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon Positron EN002]
[IMG]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonPositron002edit.jpg[/IMG][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon Proton EN003]
[IMG]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonProton003edit.jpg[/IMG][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon - Up Quark EN004]
[img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonUpQuark004.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon - Strange Quark EN005]
[img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonStrangeQuark005.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon - Charm Quark EN006]
[img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonCharmQuark006.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon Atom EN007]
[img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/BaryonAtom007.jpg[/img]

[i]4 "Baryon" monsters[/i]
[i]Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards you control to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) The Fusion Summon of this card cannot be negated by card effects. If you pay Life Points during your End Phase: you can add 1 "Baryon" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.[/i]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Baryon Xi EN008 (sorry for using Yugico)]
[img]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q497/Kunnerian/Cards/baryonxi.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

The Higgs Boson was discovered on the same day I thought about cardmaking again, so I thought - why not? All of the names used are the real names of subatomic particles, also all baryons (with the exception of electron, which is a lepton). I ran out of pictures to use, but these are from Jazin Kay's archive. The archetype is intended to be a Tier 1/2, fully competitive one. It focuses around swarming as quickly as possible before getting out one of the big hitters to break down your opponent's field advantage and beat down with big ATK stats. The archetype does suffer from a lack of hand advantage as the quick summoning wears your hand down (hence Up and Electron, which aim to rectify this by stimulating draws and tutoring). This isn't a solely exclusive archetype, though - Up and Neutron were meant to be fairly splashable and workable as support cards in other decks, particularly Neutron (based on "Cell Sphere", which I posted two days ago).

Fire away. Well-written reviews will be liked.

Very cool. Was this set original gonna be your 'cell' archetype?

Anyway, onto the cards.

Baryon Neutron I believe you have already posted as a different card, so I won't spend any time on that.

Baryon Electron: Seems like a good searcher, as well as a good wall. Not much else to say.

Baryon Positron: This card seems a bit OP'ed to me. Perhaps make it say "If you control [b]another [/b]"Baryon" monster...". Because as it is now there are no limitations as to when it can use its effect(besides the obvious once per turn). I understand these are supposed to be all Level 2 monsters, but Positron has quite a bit of ATK points for a Level 2 monsters, as well as a pretty awesome effect. I would consider lowering its ATK points to make it more balanced.

Baryon Proton: This is kinda like the Ojama Red of the Baryon monsters. Anyway, I would say lower the ATK points. Once again, it has high ATK points, especially for an effect monster, and double especially for the fact that it is Level 2. I would definitely consider bringing its ATK down to 1500.

Up Quark: Seems like a reasonable card. I am torn between thinking that 1500 is too much or just enough. I guess wait to see what others think.

Strange Quark: Looks good, no complaints.

Charm Quark: I like it.

Baryon Xi: Very nice. Easy to summon with Proton. :)

As a whole, I would lower a lot of the Effect Monsters' ATK and perhaps add in some Spell/Trap Cards that protect them. I feel like I may be blinded by the fact that they are Level 2 with high ATK and I am not giving an accurate review, so I apologize for that. I see great potential for these cards, they just have a few quirks.

The ATK should be lowered, yes. 1300 for a Level 2 seems like a good number. With regards to S/T support, I am limited as I can't find suitable pictures. I'll change Positron's effect to "another "Baryon" monster".

EDIT: Fully updated.

[quote name='Neo Galaxy' timestamp='1342460742' post='5979976']
Going to post a full review within the hour.

I started to but then I ended up having to finish up a few things at work. I shall have it very shortly!
[/quote]

I'm very much looking forward to it! Be sure to take into account the changes in ATK and effect I made with Positron and Proton.

[u]Baryon Neutron[/u]

Let's see, I like this one. It's interesting (and keep in mind I'm going through this from the first card to the last without actually looking at them beforehand, so I'm not sure if it supports other cards in the set) and it looks as though there are some fun combos with it. Obviously, it's useful for something like Gachi or Dark Mist, but I'm wondering (based on the way you worded it) if it's possible you could use it for a non-Rank 2 Xyz Monster. If so, it's balanced given the once per Duel restriction, but also very useful as a tech in a lot of places, giving cards like Utopia and/or Volcasarus /Zenmaines more options.

Nice.

[u]Baryon Electron[/u]

It's nice to see a theme going with the images in the set. Obviously it's not the most important, but I'm high on images especially when it comes to unique cards/effects, so seeing that there's actually something going on with them is definitely bonus points in that respect. I think it's quite good because obviously (it doesn't say "other"), you can just banish 1 if you control this and get some nice consistency. I'm assuming because you seem like quite a talented and knowledgable card maker that you wouldn't design a card like this without a "Once per turn" restriction if you thought there was potential for abuse, so I'll give that a pass for now unless other cards come up that make this kinda crazy.

[u]Baryon Positron[/u]

Ah, I was expecting something along these lines soon enough. Though I think it would'e been better perhaps if you could Tribute itself to negate something, I can understand the logic behind doing it the way you did. It's very interesting and I know I'm reading too much into it, but I like the image representing a charge of energy, suggesting this one uses others to charge and negate, etc. Just a nice detail even if it wasn't something intentional. It's balanced and has decent enough ATK so that you actually have a chance for the effect to go off.

[u]Baryon Proton[/u]

Wow, Special Summon 3 monsters. It's not often you see something like that printed ona card and not immediately think it's way too good. However in this case, given what I've seen so far, it appears to be completely balanced. You're trading hand advantage for field advantage, which might not always pay off. Of course, it doesn't hurt the Deck either because of Electron which lets you restore some of your hand, meaning you're not left with no options should you run into a Torrential Tribute or something along those lines.

[u]Baryon - Up Quark[/u]

Uh-oh, I think this might be the first time I'm seeing a problem. The fact of the matter is you can use this card in anything to net instant +'s, which can be a problem. Decks like Monarchs can tech this (or even run multiples), Special Summon, net the plus, and then Tribute to bring out a Monarch and proceed to be in a much better position for very little cost. I'm not a fan of free draws, and the ability to just Special Summon it means it's more than likely going to be used as Tribute fodder of some kind. I'm not really sure how I'd suggest fixing it; perhaps make it so your opponent has to control a monster in order for you to do it? At least then, you can't just drop it first turn and set up all kinds of crazy plays. Even with the Life Point cost, I'm not sure it's balanced.

[u]Baryon - Strange Quark[/u]

That's impressive. I like it, and again, I like how you're somehow managing to make it so the cards' effects relate really well to the picture. It's actually really cool and makes the set seem so much better as a whole. Having 0 ATK means it's not going to be easy to abuse this, though it does combo really well with Proton to net all sorts of advantage. This is one of those cards that would have to actually be tested to see whether or not it is a problem. I'm tempted to say if it were printed it might be better of @1 as opposed to 3 due to the potential things you could pull off, but as is I'm going to say it's alright.

[u]Baryon - Charm Quark[/u]

Not too shabby. And again, you impress me with the picture synergy. That's really one of the highlights of this entire set, how well you managed to use effects that actually go with the pictures. The effect is good, too, though I'm not sure this one is actually practical at all. There would have to be a way to get it out to the field consistently (along with another monster) in order for it to have use. But the problem is, it can just be run over in battle, so unless you've got a way to prevent that, this doesn't seem worth bringing out.

[u]Baryon Atom[/u]

Definitely balanced. In fact, if it weren't for Proton, I don't think there would be much way to play it at all. Bringing it out, of course, is perhaps worth the investment due to the easy ways the set has of refreshing your hand and keeping advantage somewhat consistent so that you don't end up with no cards left should the plan fail. It's good, and the effect is fine, though I can't think of many situations in which it would be useful.

[u]Baryon Xi[/u]

I've got problems with this one. It's way too easy to Summon for an effect that is just crazy good. The fact of the matter is, you can chain this to all sorts of crazy stuff, and with 3200 ATK, if you manage to clear the field, the only things that can even chain to this are Divine Wrath and War Chariot. It's nearly impossible to get around if you can manage to bring it out. I think it'd be good as is, perhaps removing the Spell Speed 3 aspect of the effect and just make it so it's "During either player's turn". Then it's a Quick Effect, but not uncounterable, either.

Well, there's my feedback.

It's a very interesting set, albeit one that could be easily broken if a Rank 2 Xyz of any sort is printed that can make even better use of them than the ones that currently exist. Impressive, though. Very well done.

[quote name='ClayCarmine' timestamp='1342552461' post='5981161']
what would have been cool is if the proton, neutron, and electron were fusion monsters made using the quarks.
[/quote]

Not enough pictures, unfortunately. Although electrons are leptons, not baryons; I think they are made up of quarks that I haven't included in the set.

Archived