Plague of Pests

I have recently had the idea of creating a set of powerful cards based on the myth of Pandora's Box. I say based on because I mean that there will not be a slew of evils eschewing from the box and only a single benefit. In my pseudo-mythology, there will be balanced numbers on both sides. Eight "Pandoran" cards total, composed of 4 "Bastions" and 4 "Evils". These Pandoran cards require a new mechanic to summon them that is loosely based on Synchro Summoning and possess effects based on XYZ Monsters and their Summoning. The sub-type I've decided to call them is Neo-Synchro Monsters, since their summoning mechanic is most similar to that sub-type. An alternate name that I rejected is an Omni Monster, just a fun tidbit for everybody. Anyway, after I created the cards I had an idea for an RP revolving around them. So, naturally I picked my favorite and created a deck around it. This topic contains the new cards used in this deck. Based on the reaction to them, I might just try to initiate a topic in the Role Playing and/or Creative Writing forum. Thus, after the lengthy introduction, rate and critique to your heart's content.

[spoiler='Monsters']
[spoiler='Niterian (Essentially Larval Stage)']
Niterian Earwig
Insect/Effect/DARK/4/1600/1600
-Once per either player’s turn, you may reveal this card in your hand to negate the activation and/or effect of a Trap Card. If you do, send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, draw 1 card.

Niterian Horsefly
Insect/Effect/DARK/4/1300/1750
-Once per either player’s turn, you may reveal this card in your hand to negate the activation and/or effect of a Spell Card. If you do, send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, add 1 other card in your Graveyard to your hand.

Niterian Locust
Insect/Effect/DARK/4/1250/1200
-Once per either player’s turn, you may reveal this card in your hand when a Monster is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck to negate that Monster’s effects. If you do, send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, you may Special Summon 1 “Niteroid” Monster or “Niterus” Monster from your hand in face-up Defense Position.

Niterian Mosquito
Insect/Effect/DARK/4/1700/800
-Once per either player’s turn, you may reveal this card in your hand when a Monster attacks to reduce the attacking Monster’s original ATK by 500 points. If you do, send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, you may send 1 “Niterian” Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard to Special Summon this Monster.

Niterian Cockroach
Insect/Effect/DARK/4/1550/1400
-Once per either player’s turn, you may reveal this card in your hand when a Monster is Special Summoned to your opponent’s side of the field to inflict 1000 points of damage to your opponent. If you do, send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. Then, you may send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard to switch the battle position of the Special Summoned Monster.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Niteroid (Essentially Warrior-Class)']
Niteroid Dragonfly
Insect/Effect/DARK/6/2000/1700
-If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon this card. If this card is Special Summoned by its own effect, it cannot attack directly. When this card is destroyed, you may send 1 “Niterian” Monster from your Deck to your Graveyard to place this card on the bottom of your Deck.

Niteroid Yellowjacket
Insect/Effect/DARK/6/2100/1450
-If this card is sent form the Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon this card. If this card is Special Summoned by its own effect, you cannot conduct your next Battle Phase. When this card is destroyed, you may Special Summon 1 “Niterian” Monster in your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Niterus (Essentially the Elite Class)']
Niterus Scorpion
Insect/Effect/DARK/8/2400/2400
-If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of an Insect-type Monster, destroy all Set cards on your opponent’s side of the field. While this card is on the field or in your Graveyard, the effects of Monsters destroyed in battle by other Insect-type Monsters are negated.

Niterus Arcbeetle
Insect/Effect/DARK/8/2200/2800
-If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of an Insect-type Monster, you may add 1 card from your Deck to your hand. While this card is on the field or in your Graveyard, Level 6 or lower Insect-type Monsters are not destroyed the first time they would be destroyed per turn.

Niterus Mantis
Insect/Effect/DARK/8/2750/1750
-If this card is sent from the Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of an Insect-type Monster, you may Special Summon 1 “Niterian” Monster from your Graveyard. Once per turn, you may send this card from your side of the field to the bottom of your Deck to Special Summon 1 Insect-type Monster from your Deck or up to 2 “Niterian” Monsters from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Search/Support']
Entymancer
Spellcaster/Effect/LIGHT/2/600/0
-FLIP: If this Defense Position card was destroyed by battle, piercing damage is inflicted to this card’s controller. This card’s effect activates even if this face-down card is destroyed or banished by a card effect. Activate one of the following effects:
*Special Summon up to 2 Level 4 Insect-type Monsters from your hand.
*Special Summon 1 Insect-type Monster from your Graveyard.
*Add 1 Insect-type Monster from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Key to Pandoran Box']
**Amber Herald-Syringe Swarm**
Insect/Tuner/Effect/DARK/3/1050/850
-This card is a "Herald" Tuner Monster. This card may only be used to Synchro Summon a Monster that requires a "Herald" Tuner Monster. The other Synchro Material Monsters used with this Monster to Synchro Summon a Monster are banished from your hand or Deck. If a Monster destroys this card as a result of battle, its original ATK becomes 0. You may banish this card in your Graveyard to Special Summon 1 "Amber Herald-Syringe Swarm" from your hand or Deck.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells and Traps']
Entymological Necromancy
Continuous Spell Card
-Once per turn, you may Special Summon 1 “Niterian” or “Niteroid” Monster from your Graveyard. It may not attack this turn. If you do not Special Summon a Monster due to this card’s effect while this card is face-up on the field, send 1Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

Exchanging Plagues
Quick Play Spell Card
-Return 1 Insect-type Monster from your Graveyard to the bottom of your Deck. Then, activate 1 of the following effects:
*Send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard; draw 1 card.
*Special Summon 1 Insect-type Monster from your hand or Graveyard whose level is equal to or lower than the returned Monster.

Unleashing the Plague
Trap Card
-Inflict damage to your opponent’s Life Points equal to 200 points x the number of “Niterian”, “Niteroid”, or “Niterus” Monsters in your Graveyard. If the damage inflicted due to this card’s effect is 1000 points or less, you may send 1 Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard to draw 1 card.

Particular Plague
Continuous Trap Card
-When this card is activated and up to once per turn, you may discard 1 “Niterian”, “Niteroid”, or “Niterus” Monster from your hand and activate the appropriate effect from the following:
*Niterian: draw 1 card.
*Niteroid: return 1 Monster in your Graveyard to the bottom of your Deck to destroy 1 card on the field.
*Niterus: return 1 other Insect-type Monster in your Graveyard to the bottom of your Deck to Special Summon 1 Insect-type Monster from your Deck whose Level is equal to or lower than the returned Monster’s Level.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Extra Deck']
[spoiler='XYZs (Essentially Oligarchs of the Plague)']
Deus Niterian-King Cricket
Insect/XYZ/Effect/DARK/4*/2200/1200
2 Level 4 “Niterian” Monsters
-The XYZ Materials used to XYZ Summon this card may be from your hand. Once per turn, you may detach 1 XYZ Material from this card to inflict damage to your opponent equal to 200 x the number of cards in his/her hand. XYZ Materials detached from this card are added to your hand.

Clades Niteroid-Black Widow
Insect/XYZ/Effect/DARK/6*/2500/1800
2 Level 6 “Niteroid” Monsters
-When this card is XYZ Summoned, add 1 card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, you may detach 1 XYZ Material from this card to place 1 Monster in your Graveyard on the bottom of your Deck. XYZ Materials detached from this card are placed on the bottom of your Deck.

Perditrix Niterus-Death Worm
Insect/XYZ/Effect/DARK/8*/3000/2600
2 Level 8 “Niterus” Monsters
-The XYZ Materials used to XYZ Summon this card may be from your hand. If so, this card’s original ATK and DEF become 2400. When this card destroys a Monster as a result of battle, your opponent must discard 1 card from his/her hand. If your opponent is unable to do so, this card may attack once more this turn. Once per turn, you may detach 1 XYZ Material from this card to inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent. . XYZ Materials detached from this card are placed on the bottom of your Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Pandoran Box']
**Beelze Bug, The Plague**
Insect/Neo-Synchro/Effect/DARK/11/3400/1400
1 “Herald” Tuner Monster + 3 Level 8 Insect-type Monsters
-This card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects. When this card is Synchro Summoned, attach the Tuner Monster used to summon this card to this card as a Omni Material. While this card has an attached Omni Material, each time either player plays a card, inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent. You may detach an Omni Material from this card to allow this card to attack directly this turn.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Okay since I just happen to be in WC today.

Niterian: All herp derp broken! They just punish the opponent for playing cards and you do nothing but plus off of their attempts to play the game. First I thought it was just Earwig because nothing keeps any of them from targeting themselves in the deck so his effect really says: neg a trap, draw a card, thin deck. That alone was enough for me to cry fowl. The fact that all of them don't deal any minuses to the hand or field just super controlled milling and plussing off of said milling is bad design. Mosquito alone is just a continuous swarm loop.

Niteriod: You know despite how unbalanced and broken their lower evolved forms are I don't really have a problem with these spammable level 6's. They are fine the way they are.

Niterius: All broken! It took me a second to realize it though. At first I was instinctively thinking ban hammer on Locust the only searcher of Field Nuke, Super Seacher/Echanted Forest, and the swarm, but then I realized you could just troll face with DNA surgery and Armageddon knights just for the lulz and plus even more than you already were. So no to all of them as well.

Etymancer: I feel like being a flip effect slows the card down nicely. So I think it is fine as it is.

Key: The banlist has already taught us that self reviving tuners are not allowed in this game. Ergo I cannot approve of this.

S/T: Yeah I think 3 out of 4 of them are pretty broken but I see the train of thought and finally see the true problem.

Xyz: Well King cricket is essentially free isn't he unless someone kills him. I don't think that is fair. I guess the rest are okay though I am not a fan of Black widow just adding anything to the hand unrestricted. But if this set were to be balanced in anyway it would be a little arduous to get the two level 6's on the field at the same time.

Pandora: So I guess that is supposed to be herald and one level 8 right? Once again punishing your opponent for playing the game. Its almost like Chain material in that aspect. Though I guess its okay seeing as it has no form of protection.

The main problem with the set is that milling is no longer a bad thing especially controlled milling. Its why Foolish Burial is put at one and Future Fusion is banned. Its why Lightsworns are no longer an archetype they are an engine. Same goes with Card trooper. It great to take cards out of your deck and send them to the grave. You have control over what will happen, you get rid of potential dead draws, and with your set of cards you actually end up plussing off of them. In short your archetype here just fuels malice and punishes people for putting a card on the table. Because if they do herp derp insect chain links of doom.

[quote name='SunKistRebelution' timestamp='1351658001' post='6057773']
Thank you, exaenae. I am looking forward to it. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of the Neo-Synchro?
[/quote]
I don't really know, I think it's better off as just a Synchro.
As for the review: coming tomorrow, because I have stuffs to do.

Archived