[Nw+Rai] Incite

Night

[center][img]http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/Amirzmom/NwIncite.png[/img][/center]
[center]Another planning thread, I realized there was no better time to start this then now. Only thing is there are so many ways to go about this it's seemingly infinite. I also didn't even discuss this with Rai in detail yet, so that we can all influence the actual contents of this. So yeah, will we make it so that the early content is for beginners and then scales as we progress, or should we disregard that entirely and focus solely on each topic as if creating an encyclopedia? And as for the actual content what do you want to see addressed, obvious topics such as depth, flow, lighting, etc. are sure to be included however other more obscure things such as gradient mapping, clipping masks, pentooling, filter and mode explanations, style elaborations, etc. will be added depending on it's demand, which is why this thread will remain up even when we get the actual tutorial ready in order for members to easily request a topic tutorial.[/center]

[center]I can also see more expert oriented tutorials on vectoring and logo work from myself, digipainting from Alee perhaps, I could probably pester Yinny to get a proper render tutorial up and maybe Koko would be interested in doing a spriting session. Kaka could get some simple illustration work up as well, even Tormy can join in if he ever got his goddamn CI skills up.[/center]

[center]Basically, we'll be covering just about everything.[/center]

I literally lolwuted when I saw this in Recent Topics. My thoughts on working it out:

Split it into two or three volumes.

[b]Volume I: Basic Concepts[/b]
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection

[b]Volume II: Concepts in Detail[/b] [i](Basically tackle all of the slightly more advanced concepts here: typography, colour, G-mapping, layer modes etc. It also provides a place to review all of the beginner topics and look at them in more detail, and also for various exercises beginners can try out to put everything they've learnt into practise)[/i]
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection

[b]Volume III: Extra Concepts[/b] [i](This would be the fun bit. Various members can contribute their expertise here as a writer [but everyone should be able to write in the other sections too, if they want]; this is also where we can add whole tutorials for step-by-step sigs or basically any tutorial)[/i]
--> LPs
--> Logos
--> Spriting
--> Custom Images
--> Anime/Manga
--> etc.

[quote name='Serenade' timestamp='1352054933' post='6061087']
Was thinking, maybe it would look a tad better with the bird lowered down and clipping over the E dunno, it's worth a try possibly?
[/quote]

Tried that, when creating an external focal bound to text, it only really works if there is sufficient spacing between the letters, otherwise it ends up looking cramped.

[quote name='+Catman' timestamp='1352055883' post='6061096']
Logo's pretty sick.

As for content, style elaboration is definitely not obscure.
[/quote]

When is it not? ('that modesty).

obscure was the wrong word, minuscule in comparison to other topics perhaps? Think about it this way, when was the last time you saw an elaboration on specific styles in a tutorial?

[quote name=''Alee' timestamp='1352055972' post='6061097']
If you don't mind, I'll be able to give art lectures (as a whole, real fundementals, theories, practicals and implemantation of the work). I also do a lot of illustration work so I'd be better off doing art as a whole and not just DPs or LPs.
[/quote]

I definitely would not want to bind your insight merely to a specific topic, you definitely have more to bring than Rai and I on certain topics so I wouldn't want to rule that out. As far as I'm concerned you can take relatively any topic you'd like as long as you have the time for it.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1352056562' post='6061104']
I literally lolwuted when I saw this in Recent Topics. My thoughts on working it out:

Split it into two or three volumes.

[b]Volume I: Basic Concepts[/b]
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection

[b]Volume II: Concepts in Detail[/b] [i](Basically tackle all of the slightly more advanced concepts here: typography, colour, G-mapping, layer modes etc. It also provides a place to review all of the beginner topics and look at them in more detail, and also for various exercises beginners can try out to put everything they've learnt into practise)[/i]
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection
--> Base Topic
-----> Subsection
-----> Subsection

[b]Volume III: Extra Concepts[/b] [i](This would be the fun bit. Various members can contribute their expertise here as a writer [but everyone should be able to write in the other sections too, if they want]; this is also where we can add whole tutorials for step-by-step sigs or basically any tutorial)[/i]
--> LPs
--> Logos
--> Spriting
--> Custom Images
--> Anime/Manga
--> etc.
[/quote]

Makes sense, the only thing is I don't want to work on merely the basics for 3 months then move on to more advanced topics, members who already know the fundamentals won't be getting anything out of it. I'd prefer if there was something to learn for everyone at all times.

Perhaps we can keep this organizational guideline, and work on a topic relating to each volume as we progress. In theory we'd be completing each volume in the same pace, instead of completing one then moving on to the other.

[quote name=''Night' timestamp='1352057286' post='6061114']
Tried that, when creating an external focal bound to text, it only really works if there is sufficient spacing between the letters, otherwise it ends up looking cramped.
When is it not? ('that modesty).
obscure was the wrong word, minuscule in comparison to other topics perhaps? Think about it this way, when was the last time you saw an elaboration on specific styles in a tutorial?
I definitely would not want to bind your insight merely to a specific topic, you definitely have more to bring than Rai and I on certain topics so I wouldn't want to rule that out. As far as I'm concerned you can take relatively any topic you'd like as long as you have the time for it.
Makes sense, the only thing is I don't want to work on merely the basics for 3 months then move on to more advanced topics, members who already know the fundamentals won't be getting anything out of it. I'd prefer if there was something to learn for everyone at all times.
Perhaps we can keep this organizational guideline, and work on a topic relating to each volume as we progress. In theory we'd be completing each volume in the same pace, instead of completing one then moving on to the other.
[/quote]

I agree with that. Having the guidelines in place means we can just do what we want. Should we start by figuring out what topics; what volume?

[size=6]Volume I[/size]

[b]- Prologue: Starting out.[/b]

[u]-- What are the various forms of graphic design? [/u]
--- Explanation on tags
--- Explanation on large pieces
--- Explanation on logos
--- Explanation on custom images
--- Explanation on spriting / splicing
--- Commonly used programs associated with them

[u]-- Resources[/u]
--- Fractal explanation
--- C4D explanation
--- Font explanation
--- Brush explanation
--- Render / Stock explanation
--- Where to get resources

[b]- Flow I[/b]

[u]-- Basic principles of the flow concept[/u]
--- Examples and critics

[b]- Lighting I[/b]

[u]-- Basic principles of the lighting concept[/u]
--- Examples and critics

[b]- Depth I[/b]

[u]-- Basic principles of the depth concept[/u]
--- Examples and critics

[b]- Atmo I[/b]

[u]-- Basic principles of the depth concept[/u]
--- Examples and critics

[b]- Styles I[/b]

[u]-- Quick look into various art styles[/u]
--- Smudging
--- (There's more to put here but I realized most tag styles are visually understood rather than described).

Then there would be Flow II and such in the second volume where it's more about the conceptual aspect of it rather than the simple visual understanding of it.
As I did this I realized I'm terrible at making a table of contents, seeing as though you've done this before I'd prefer if you took the bulk of it.
There's clearly a plethora of missing things, but basic things are hard to categorize, so using this layout feel free to add anything you'd like.

I think this is a good place to start. I'll happily take all of the basic stuff, so you can do all of the Volume II stuff (write out a rough table of contents so I know too). I'll probably go over maybe one thing first and finish it by tomorrow, so we have a format to write it in.

[quote name='blacklustersoldier76' timestamp='1352485681' post='6064878']
protip
write s*** before you abghhfbhbfhbabhgf and stuff
[/quote]

We've already started through pm, I just don't want to post anything until we've got a good amount done.
I see no sense in opening the thread with a single topic completed and nothing else.

Well how about you just finish the thing and then post it as a whole, organized topic?
I know you, b****. You're gonna start this, write up a section or two, then abandon the project for a month before returning to continue it at which point no one will give a flying f*** about it. You're also gonna make yet another topic for this because I've been bitching in this one.

Archived