Dwarves - the small masters of big Chains

Bleaknight

This is the Dwarf archetype, an archetype which is based on gaining effects through manipulation of Chains and their Chain Links - a pretty original concept. Not much else needs to be said, other than ALL FEEDBACK ACCEPTED!

[spoiler='Monsters']
dwarf%20soldier.jpg
As Chain Link 3 or higher: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Normal Summoned: Place 1 Dwarven Counter on it (max. 2). This card gains 300 ATK for each Dwarven Counter on it. Once per turn: You can remove 2 Dwarven Counters from this card to target 1 Set card on the field; destroy that target.
[spoiler='Comments']Basic beater with an added effect. Can be somewhat spammed - if you have 3 in your hand, you can Summon all 3 at once. Also has a handy effect negation effect.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20miner.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. If a Chain of 2 or more Links including a "Dwarf" card resolves, place 1 Dwarven Counter on this card. When a "Dwarf" monster is Summoned: Place 1 Dwarven Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 4 Dwarven Counters from this card; add 1 Level 4 or lower "Dwarf" monster from your Deck to the hand.
[spoiler='Comments']Simply put, it's a Dwarven Counter generator.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20worship.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned: Place 1 Dwarven Counter on it. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can remove 4 Dwarven Counters from your side of the field and target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it. If this effect was activated as Chain Link 3 or higher, banish it instead. If this effect was activated as Chain Link 4 or higher, also draw 1 card.
[spoiler='Comments']Plain basic destroyer and decent beatstick.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20lycanthrope.jpg
As Chain Link 3 or higher in a Chain that does not include "Dwarf Lycanthrope": You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can remove 2 Dwarven Counters from your side of the field; discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand. This effect is negated in a Chain of 3 or more Links.
[spoiler='Comments']A disruptor. Smart use of Chains to disrupt.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20dragonslayer.jpg
As Chain Link 3 or higher: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Other "Dwarf" monsters cannot be Summoned in the same Chain. When this card is Special Summoned this way: It gains 600 ATK x its Chain Link number. You can remove 3 Dwarven Counters from this card; it gains 1 additional attack this turn.
[spoiler='Comments']Plain, sheer ATK power.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20forger.jpg
As Chain Link 4 or higher: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Other "Dwarf" monsters cannot be Summoned in the same Chain. When you do: Distribute new Dwarven Counters among face-up "Dwarf" cards you control equal to this card's Chain Link (during the Chain). After a chain of 3 or more Links resolves: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; destroy it. You can only control 1 face-up "Dwarf Forger".
[spoiler='Comments']Spell/Trap removal, counter generator and beater.[/spoiler]

hellish%20dwarf.jpg
If a Chain of 2 or more Links occurred in your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. When this card is Normal Summoned: Place 1 Dwarven Counter on it. Once per turn: You can remove 3 Dwarven Counters from your side of the field; add 1 "The Dwarf Gate" or "Dwarf Caravan" from your Deck to your hand.
[spoiler='Comments']Somewhat easy-to-get beater who also searches for important cards.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20beheader.jpg
As Chain Link 4 or higher: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Other "Dwarf" monsters cannot be Summoned in the same Chain. Each Chain Link in a Chain is treated as being 1 Chain Link higher. Once per turn, as Chain Link 3 or higher: You can return 1 "Dwarf" card you control to the hand. You can only control 1 face-up "Dwarf Beheader".
[spoiler='Comments']A very versatile asset for prolonging Chains.[/spoiler]

battlescarred%20dwarf.jpg
You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 "Dwarf" monster. If you do: Distribute new Dwarven Counters among face-up cards you control equal to its Level. Once per turn, as Chain Link 2 or higher: You can Tribute "Dwarf" monsters whose combined Levels are 4 or more; Special Summon 1 "Dwarf" monster from your Deck whose Level is equal to or lower than those combined Levels plus this effect's Chain Link number, then place 2 Dwarven Counters on it.
[spoiler='Comments']
The archetype lacked Summoners, so this was made. It can generate lots of Dwarven Counters upon summon, and it placing 2 Dwarven Counters on the Summoned monster after it is summoned means that some effects like Dwarf Soldier's and Dwarf Lycanthrope's can be used right away without any other dwarven counter source, and the way it is worded, your opponent cannot activate cards in response to that monster's Summon as well.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20king%20of%20the%20fiery%20throne
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 1 "Dwarf" monster after a Chain of 4 or more Links occurred this turn. Each time a "Dwarf" card resolves in a Chain of 3 or more Links, you can immediately remove 2 Dwarven Counters from anywhere on the field to target and destroy 1 card on the field (during the Chain). If a "Dwarf" monster you control would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Dwarven Counters from it instead.
[spoiler='Comments']Boss. Heavy destruction effect (and your opponent can't even respond to it since it's mid-chain), also protects your monsters. Overall great.[/spoiler]

elder%20dwarf%20the%20brutal.jpg
During either player's turn: You can Tribute "Dwarf" monsters, except "Elder Dwarf, the Brutal", whose total Levels plus this card's Chain Link number equal 8 or higher; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. If you do, negate the effects of your opponent's cards activated as lower Chain Links in this Chain, also draw 1 card.
[spoiler='Comments']A revivable beater which can also help negate your opponent's cards and replenish your hand. You'll usually want to tribute Dwarf Tokens.[/spoiler]

elder%20dwarf%20the%20overseer.jpg
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned by its own effect. As Chain Link 5 or higher: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Negate the effects of all of your opponent's cards in a Chain of 4 or more Links.
[spoiler='Comments']Big Boss. May not be as destructive as Dwarf King, but hell, it negates cards so easily.[/spoiler]

elder%20dwarf%20warchief.jpg
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 1 "Dwarf" monster after 3 Chains occurred this turn. Your opponent's card effects that do not start a Chain are negated.
[spoiler='Comments']
Another big boss, a counterpart to "Elder Dwarf, the Overseer". Overseer negates effects that activate in a Chain of 4 or more Links, Warchief negates effects that do not activate and also hurts your opponent if they do not help you build a chain.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20elementalist.jpg

2 Level 4 "Dwarf" monsters
Cannot be destroyed during a turn in which a Chain of 3 or more Links has occurred. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; add 1 Level 4 or lower "Dwarf" monster from your Deck to your hand.
[spoiler='Comments']Searches Dwarf cards and has a protection effect which may help you stall a bit until you can get what you need to explode.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20huntsman.jpg
3 Level 4 "Dwarf" monsters
As Chain Link 4 or higher: You can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck. Only 1 "Dwarf Huntsman" can be Summoned this way per turn. Other "Dwarf" monsters cannot be Summoned in the same Chain. This card gains 400 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; add 1 "Dwarf" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 "Dwarf" card you control; attach it to this card as an Xyz Material.
[spoiler='Comments']Quite an innovative mechanic, no other card in the game Special Summons itself from the Extra Deck like this. Yet it isn't a big deal that it can Special Summoned without Xyz Materials because it'll just be a weak monster, except if it actually uses its effect to get some Materials. It can search Dwarf Spells/Traps which is just great. Kind of searches a searcher if you grab Eccentric Noble Dwarf via its effect.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20token.jpg
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells']
fortunate%20dwarf.jpg
When a Chain of 4 or more Links resolves, draw 1 card. During each of your End Phases, destroy this card unless a Chain of 2 or more Links occurred this turn. You can only use the effect of "Fortunate Dwarf" once per turn.
[spoiler='Comments']Plain themed draw power.[/spoiler]

eccentric%20noble%20dwarf.jpg
As Chain Link 2 or higher: Pay 500 Life Points; negate the activation of a number of "Dwarf" cards/effects in this Chain and return them to their original positions, then add 1 "Dwarf" monster from your Deck to your hand whose Level is equal to or lower than the total number of these cards' Chain Links + 3.
[spoiler='Comments]A strange searcher. You could negate a Chain Link 1 card to add Level 4 monsters, Chain Link 3 (or CL 1 + CL 2) cards for the Level 6, etc.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Traps']
the%20dwarf%20gate.jpg
As Chain Link 2 or higher: Target 1 "Dwarf" monster you control; place 1 Dwarven Counter on it, then Set this card. You can only activate "The Dwarf Gate" once per Chain. Your opponent's Counter Trap Cards cannot be activated in response to this card's activation.
[spoiler='Comments']The beauty of this card and "Dwarf Caravan" is that their effects are secondary. Their real purpose is prolonging Chains so you can activate effects.[/spoiler]

dwarf%20caravan.jpg
As Chain Link 2 or higher: Special Summon 1 "Dwarf Token" (Warrior-Type/EARTH/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0), then Set this card. This Token cannot be Tributed or used as a Synchro Material Monster, except for the Summon of a "Dwarf" monster. You can only activate "Dwarf Caravan" once per Chain. Your opponent's Counter Trap Cards cannot be activated in response to this card's activation.
[spoiler='Comments']Read above card's comments. This one is also for chain extension, and creates a token for Tributing to Summon some of the archetype's bosses.[/spoiler]

end%20of%20chain%21.jpg
As Chain link 3 or higher, when a Spell/Trap Card is activated, while you control a face-up "Dwarf" monster: If it was your opponents' Spell/Trap Card, negate its activation, and if you do, destroy it, also place 1 Dwarven Counter on a number of "Dwarf" monsters you control up to this card's Chain Link number.
[spoiler='Comments']Meant to be the last card in the chain whenever possible, to take advantage of its Chain Link.[/spoiler]

dwarf%27s%20lightning%20hammer.jpg
Target 1 "Dwarf" monster you control; equip this card to that target. It gains 400 ATK plus 100 additional ATK times the Chain Link number of this card. When that target destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: Add 1 "Dwarf" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to the hand, and if you do, place 1 Effect Counter on this card. Negate this effect while this card has 2 Effect Counters.
[spoiler='Comments']A themed Horn of the Phantom Beast, somewhat. Works good for Damage Step use since the equipped monster gains a minimum of 500 ATK (I added that minimum because making chain in damage step would be pretty difficult) and it also searches other "dwarf" spell/trap cards.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Again, all feedback greatly accepted!

I would post more but my head feels like crap due to surgery. So anyways I will, instead of being exact, give you the basic gist. I enjoyed the set, very original and very strong. A couple things, you should double check your OCG, noticed a few things that were confusing. Lastly, double check the rulings on chains, I think only counter traps can be stacked in a chain if your opponent uses a Spell Speed 2 card. Other than that gray set, I love it and keeP up the great work. 8.5/10

[quote name='Thranduil' timestamp='1357726132' post='6116060']
I would post more but my head feels like crap due to surgery. So anyways I will, instead of being exact, give you the basic gist. I enjoyed the set, very original and very strong. A couple things, you should double check your OCG, noticed a few things that were confusing. Lastly, double check the rulings on chains, I think only counter traps can be stacked in a chain if your opponent uses a Spell Speed 2 card. Other than that gray set, I love it and keeP up the great work. 8.5/10 [/quote]

I don't think I should "double check my OCG" because most of the cards' wordings are official, taken from existent cards. About the effect that special summons mid-chain that lots of cards in the archetype have, it's taken off the existent card "Winged Kuriboh LV9", for example. And no, you can chain Spell Speed 2 effects to Spell Speed 2 effects. You only can't chain SS2 effects to SS3 ones (counter trap cards). Thanks for the feedback, still! Hope you enjoyed the archetype, check out my other archetypes if you liked this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i started reading but stopped because something seems wrong about the first card. how do you summon all the 3 copies of hand like you suggested? when the card is summoned you get the eff as CL1, and then you need to chain another card which is CL2 to be able to summon another copie. after we clear that i'l read them all, cause from what i saw you have a lot of different effects based on the chain idea which is great and i actually haven't posted yet my similar deck which is a monster chain burn.

i started reading but stopped because something seems wrong about the first card. how do you summon all the 3 copies of hand like you suggested? when the card is summoned you get the eff as CL1, and then you need to chain another card which is CL2 to be able to summon another copie. after we clear that i'l read them all, cause from what i saw you have a lot of different effects based on the chain idea which is great and i actually haven't posted yet my similar deck which is a monster chain burn.

Uh... there's nothing wrong with it. You can chain the effects of 3 Dwarf Soldiers in a single chain and they will be Special Summoned in reverse order as normal, but none of them will get the effect because the effect only triggers upon a Normal Summon.

Still, if it triggered upon a Special Summon, since it is mandatory they'd all trigger in a seperate chain. That's chain mechanic rules.

how they will summon themselfs?... they work only as chain 3, and 1 dwarf can only make 1 CL. you need another link to activate the other two copies effects. 

which mandatory effect are you talking about?  

They work as Chain Link 3 or higher. You can use them as Chain Link 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on. So you can activate one's effect to SS itself as CL3, another's as CL4 and another's as CL5.

I'm talking about their mandatory effect upon Normal Summon.

BUT WHAT WILL BE THE CHAIN LINK 2.......

In the chain Dwarf Soldier summons itself?
Anything that can be chained... the Dwarves don't build chains alone, you must use a lot of chainable cards for support, like MST or something. That or their support cards "Dwarf's Gate" and "Dwarf Caravan" which are reusable chain builders.

BUT WHAT WILL BE THE CHAIN LINK 2.......

A Spell Speed 2 card that you or your opponent activates.

Also, hey Bleaknight. You basically already know my opinion on the archetype (Tantalus), but some of these cards I don't think I've ever seen you use like Dwarf Huntsman or Dwarf King. Are those new cards you created?

Also, hey Bleaknight. You basically already know my opinion on the archetype (Tantalus), but some of these cards I don't think I've ever seen you use like Dwarf Huntsman or Dwarf King. Are those new cards you created?

I keep forgetting about Huntsman because it's from the Extra Deck, and it is relatively new as well. Dwarf King is the oldest 'boss' for the archetype, yet I've only dueled with the dwarves a few times and its condition isn't the easiest so I think in the few duels I've played with them I've only gotten it out once.

I was gonna say that you need more cards that chain to run these cards to their fullest potential. A good thing though is that when they are summoned you can activate cards in response to their dwarf counter effs, as thats the most common way I can see you reaching a chain link of 2. I think a Continuous Spell that activates its eff in response to the activation of a Dwarf monster eff will help a lot too.

Like: [Dwarven Might]

Up to twice per turn, when the effect of a "Dwarf" monster is activated, you can target 1 "Dwarf" monster you control; that monster cannot be destroyed this turn(by battle or by card effects).

They don't have a hard time making chains, according to my testings, at least not when you have Dwarf Gate and Dwarf Caravan who are made for chain extension. Making effects cascade on each other takes away from the archetype's gameplay a little, that'd make them be like Wind-Ups.

that was obvious, i haven't read the all archtype when i said it so i didn't knew about the use of so many chainable cards, and that's why you didn't mention using any of them when you said "if you have 3 in your hand, you can Summon all 3 at once." cause you know how the deck works.

anyway, i read all the cards and i have to say im impressed with the use of the chain ability's, there are so many options here to make a chain and there a veraity of original effects that make use of it. there are too many to talk on each seperatly, which also why i wont mention the cards i think you had some text problem with them, but for example, you had a card that saying that if a chain link 3 resolves,  he can chain himself to that with destruction effect, but that card clashes with the game mechanics that no card can interupt ad resolving chain, and i don't think they ever made a card simillar to this just for that reason. 

how you played the deck? printed the cards?

anyway, i read all the cards and i have to say im impressed with the use of the chain ability's, there are so many options here to make a chain and there a veraity of original effects that make use of it. there are too many to talk on each seperatly, which also why i wont mention the cards i think you had some text problem with them, but for example, you had a card that saying that if a chain link 3 resolves,  he can chain himself to that with destruction effect, but that card clashes with the game mechanics that no card can interupt ad resolving chain, and i don't think they ever made a card simillar to this just for that reason. 

how you played the deck? printed the cards?

You're talking about Dwarf King of the Fiery Throne whose destruction effects occurs mid-Chain, correct?

If so, there are in fact a few cards whose effects resolve mid-Chain. I had to research on them a bit to make sure they work correctly and stuff, and I think Dwarf King does. And his effect is continuous, so it doesn't start a chain.

Here's an example of a card whose effect resolves mid-Chain:

BountifulArtemisTU06-EN-C-UE.jpg

Either that or he used Duel Portal.

Actually, I used a custom card YGO simulator known as JDS. There's a thread over at the Dueling Network forums dedicated to it.

Archived