OCG Thread, Common Terms and Phrases & Other Useful Tips

Zazubat

[spoiler=Update List]
I have added some info about "possession", "use" and "declare" (5.6.13)
I have added some info about "Xyz Material" "decrease" and "increase" (8.6.13)
I have edited "move" to include more detail, and added info about "remove" and "target" (10.5.13)
I have edited decrease & control with more detail, and added some info about "(max.) & (min.)", "gain", "lose", "become" & "take" (11.5.13) 
I have added a new section about "1 VS a/an".(14.5.13)
I have added info about "switch", "change", "draw" and "conduct" (19.5.13)
I have added info about  “Summon”, "Xyz Material", "Xyz Monster", "Xyz Summon", "Synchro Material Monster", Synchro Monster" and Synchro Summon". I will add info about Fusion Monsters, Ritual Monsters etc. at a later date. They are mostly the same, and you normally write it pretty close to how the others are, with a few exceptions, such as that the monsters used for Ritual Summons are not a Material in any way, and stuff like that (21.5.13)
I have added info about "addition", "attach" and "attack". I have also put up a version without the word explanations (24.5.13)
I have added a new section called "Card Fixed", in which I fix cards that use old grammar, and custom cards as well (28.5.13)
I have fixed "King of the Skull Servants", "Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow", "Damage Condenser" and "Staunch Defender's" effects to meet proper OCG (30.5.13)
I have changed the location of the update list, and edited a bit here and there, and have added a section called "SET and PSCT, what to write and not write" which can be found under "Using 1 VS a/an properly" (3.6.13)
I have edited things so it looks nicer, changed a few things here and there, and added "DRAW", "Attack Position", "Defense Position" and "Battle Position"  and have put in a new section called "A little bit about battle positions" which can be found under "SET and PSCT, what to write and not write". Also, the "Word List, Explanations and Usage" is now halfway done, with 39/78 complete (7.6.13)
I have added a section called "The small x and how you should use it", which can be found under "A little bit about battle positions" (11.06.13)
I have added info about "player" and "opponent" (23.6.13)
I have added info about "turn", "Duel" and "Match" and have added added a little notice right under here called "Are you having a case of tl;dr?" (25.6.13)
I have added a section called "Which order was it again?" info about "damage", Deck", "destroy", "detach" and discard. (24.07.13)
[/spoiler]

Are you having a case of tl;dr?:
I'm sorry to hear that, since I put a lot of hard work into this. You can always take a look from time to time, there're no rules stating that you should read it all at once. Though, if you want to educate yourself, I highly suggest you read it all, both so you can learn a lot, but also to point out any mistakes I might have made :P

Rather want to read in Word?:
You can download the Word document here if you prefer reading in word (might be outdated: Last updated 24.7.13): http://www.mediafire.com/view/?jjioor6x0tyqz57

Introduction:
 Hello you all, I have made this thread because I see people who don’t know that what they’re writing is incorrect or that they don’t understand what they’re writing might mean something else than intended, and while you may use terms created after SET and PSCT, that it doesn’t make your card any better if you don’t know what you’re actually writing on the card.
 Note that this is NOT a card design tutorial, as that can be subjective, and that I don’t know every in and out of the game. If you need any help on that, there are other, more talented people on this site that can help you, such as Sleepy, Koko, Miror, Black and Evilfusion.
 I’m going to show as much of what I know as I can, though I might miss a few obvious points, so make sure to comment about them. I really want people to know that I cannot do the job here alone, that would take way too long, so if there's anything at all you're wondering about, please please do comment about it.
 Also note that the examples in this are not always a good design for your cards; make sure you create a card with the intention of balance as well as using proper wordings.
 As I said, I always want to point out that in case something is wrong, go ahead an inform me so I can fix it as fast as possible, as I am only human and can't make it perfect just by myself. Anyway, enough talking, let’s begin:

But first, what is OCG?:
OCG stands for Official Card Grammar, and is kind of a term this site has invented. While Konami makes changes from time to time, and that not every card may follow all the same rules, it's still important to learn what the basic words are, that way you never confuse people with your wording. It's not actually "Official", but rather a prefered way of writing your card, that many, including myself, will appreciate. When you see that your card gets an "OCG fix" that means that they are helping you by writing how the card should be worded. It's important that you use proper OCG, because your card might not be as balanced as you think it is if you do not use OCG properly, and when people make changes to your card that might change the timing, it's important to know proper OCG. Also, be careful that you don't confuse this with "Official Card Game" as those have the same abbreviations.

SET & PSCT:
The first thing you want to know about your cards is that old terms and wording is never a good idea. They are both confusing, and they might mean something else when not intending to. Stay away from using terms before SET (Simplified Effect Text) and PSCT (Problem-Solving Card Text). SET is quite easy to follow, but PSCT has a few important changes to follow. I’ll below walk you through the most important things to learn. You can also click here to go and learn more about SET and here to learn more about PSCT.

Colon and Semi-Colon Integration and When/If:
What Konami decided to do was to make card effect that go like this, “When this card destroys a monster by battle, you can send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard. This card gains 500 ATK,” not exist anymore. To many, this may seem pretty normal, though this can easily get confusing, as Continuous Effects, Condition Effects etc. are worded similarly. Your card text should be more like this, “When this card destroys a monster by battle: You can send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard; this card gains 500 ATK.” As you can see, instead of the comma, I put in a Colon. What this means is that it’s an effect that starts a Chain. It also indicates that what was before that Colon was a condition. “When/If X happens:” is typically how it’s set up. Note that what is after the Colon is important. There’re many different ways to word something, “When X happens: You can”, “When X happens: Y happens”, “If X happens: You can”, If X happens: Y happens,” “After X happens: You can” “After X happens: Y happens.”  What all these mean are in order of appearance: Is an optional effect, which misses the timing if it’s not the last thing to have happened. Mandatory effect that does not miss the timing (Mandatory Effects never do). Optional effect that does not miss the timing. Mandatory effect that does not miss the timing. Optional effect that does not miss the timing. Mandatory effect that does not miss the timing. Note that not all effects that start a Chain need a condition. Example: “You can target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.” typically try to stay away from effects like these when actually designing your cards. Effects like these also typically have a, “You can only activate/use this effect once per turn/duel etc.” at the end of the effect.

Inherent Summons (sometimes called Build-In Summon) VS Effect Summons:
It’s important that you know the difference. An Inherent Summon doesn’t create a Chain. This applies to Normal Summons, Special Summons that do not have a colon (or start a Chain), Synchro/Xyz and Contact Fusions. Inherent Summons can be negated by any effect that negates Summons, but are immune to effects that negate effects (as Inherent Summons are considered Conditions). Inherent Summons are almost always written like this “You can X this by (from your Y) by doing Z.” X being the form of Summon, Y being the place where you Summon it from, and Z being the way of Summoning/cost (if any), say by banishing a monster from the Graveyard. Some Inherent Summons are also written like this, “If you/your opponent A, you can B this card (from your C) by D.” A being a Condition (this does NOT start a Chain), B being the form of Summon, C being the place where you Summon it from, D being a form of cost (if any). Note that Inherent Summons only apply to the monster itself, meaning that you don’t write “You can Special Summon 1 monster (from your Graveyard) by banishing this card from your hand,” as that will always need to create a Chain. Those would be written like this instead “You can banish this card from your hand; Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard”. Effect Summons can both be for a monster itself, but can only be for other monsters as my example before showed. It’s worded the same way, “You can destroy 1 monster you control; Special Summon this card from your hand.” You cannot negate Effect Summons the same way as with Inherent Summons. As Effect Summons always starts a Chain, you cannot negate it with cards that negate the effect that “would” Summon a monster. You can however negate the card that Summons it, but not the actual Summon itself, except if it’s written similarly to this part in Solemn Warning’s effect, “monster effect is activated that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s)”. You can read more on Inherent Summons VS Effect Summons here.

Then/And/Also/And if you do:
Those are all different, and have different meanings. They are all to imply that you’re having 2 effects happen simultaneously, except then, which works differently. “Then” works in that you are required to have fulfilled A to make B (the “then” effect) happen. If you cannot do B, then you are still allowed to do A, but not the other way around. It’s important to note that if you know you cannot do A when you wish to activate, then you can’t even activate it all (except if it’s a mandatory effect). This does not apply if you are unable to do it at resolution however, in case another effect is activated that would prevent you from doing A. Here’s how it would look: “Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster; destroy that face-up target, then change this card to Defense Position.” As you can see, you need to be able to destroy a FACE-UP monster, so if that monster is flipped down doing resolution/moved to another place, then your monster is not switched to Defense Position, and you will not destroy that monster. This is also important because of timing. Say, you were to activate a card that can be activated when a monster is destroyed. That can’t happen anymore, since the last thing to happen was your monster changing to Defense Position. “And” means that you need to be able to do both, otherwise none happen. These are considered to happen simultaneously, and that means that any effect that would apply to either of those things happening can be activated without the fear of missing the timing. Example: “You can target 1 monster on the field; change that target into face-up Defense Position, and destroy 1 card your opponent controls, except that target.” If you cannot change to Defense Position, then you cannot destroy 1 monster and vice-versa. “And if you do” might trick you at first as it looks like it would mean the same as “and”, but it doesn’t. It actually means something different, “If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card to target 1 monster your opponent controls; banish that target, and if you do, draw 1 card.” If you are unable to do the last part at resolution then you are still allowed to do A, say your opponent activate a card as Chain Link 2 that prevents you from drawing cards, then you are still allowed to do A.  “Also” is the most flexible as it allows you to do as much as you can do, “When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; its effects are negated, also destroy 1 other monster they control.” If you can’t do A, you can still do B, and if you can’t do B, you can still do A. You can read more about all of this here.

About Quotes and a bit about Archetypes:
Using quotation marks is something you’re going to run into at some point, so let me teach you about them. You can use them on card names (Such as “Spirit Reaper”) or Archetypes (Such as “Gagaga”). They are also used when talking about Tokens, as those also have names. When you name something, you also give it a specific name and having that name cannot be negated, but it can wear off if its condition is not met anymore. Only cards which talk about an Archetype is an Archetype, if your Archetype is called “Robotics” but none of your effects say this, it’s not an Archetype yet, so make an effect that talks about Archetypes! Remember that when making cards, cards that have the same word in it, say, let’s use “Magician”, even if they’re not a part of your Archetype, they will now be considered as such, but as said, only if that Archetype has an effect that says it’s Archetype in it. Example: “When you Normal Summon a “Magician” monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.” Take a look at Evilswarm and Steelswarm, both are part of the “lswarm” archetype, because their name contains the word “lswarm” (Evilswarm & Steelswarm).

A little bit about targets:
When you write something with targets, it’s important that you always address your cards as targets; otherwise you might change your effect. Example: “Target 2 monsters your opponent controls; destroy those targets…” As the card says “those targets” it means that those targets still need to be the same targets at resolution. If the card didn’t refer to them as targets anymore, it wouldn’t matter if they were not the same targets anymore. If your card does not target, then you choose at resolution of the effect.

“You can activate this card’s effect”:
This is not seen a lot, but it means that there’s no cost to activate an effect, there may be a condition, though you don’t want to use this if there is a cost. An example of this is “Bull Blader” whose effect is: “When an attack is declared involving this card and an opponent's monster: You can activate this effect; during this battle involving this monster, neither player takes any battle damage, also destroy the opponent's monster after damage calculation.” There is no reason to actually use this, as the same results will happen if you don't put the semi-colon on, but you can if you want to. Here's an example of that would look: "When an attack is declared involving this card and an opponent's monster: During this battle involving this monster, neither player takes any battle damage, also destroy the opponent's monster after damage calculation.”

How effects (typically) are set up:
We’re getting nit-picky territory here, but there’re some important things to learn here. When setting up a card effect, Konami typically follow some set rules. Below, you will find an example of how most effects are set up. Only those in bold are what you should always have at that point in your effect before anything else, those with an underline mean that they must be after the previous effect (meaning that they could be anywhere, but at the start of an effect), those not in bold can be set up anywhere in your text, but from my research, this is typically how Konami wants to set it up:

Flip Effects/Summoning Conditions (Flip Effects always come first, remember to write it like this, "FLIP:” Does not include effects that say "Flipped face-up", only FLIP monsters.) Trigger Effects that happen when Summmoned, Continuous, Ignition/Quick (though Ignition is always first if there is a Quick effect also), Connection to effect (such as Lingering Effects seen on Tokens), Condition Effect, Trigger (some Trigger effects are also written first before Continuous Effects, either way is correct),  Condition(s) to effect and cards that give Lingering Effects (such as "You can only activate/use the effect of "Card Name" once per turn,” or Tokens Summoned by this effect are unaffected by other Spell Cards. Some Conditions might come before an effect as well),  How many you can control (some cards have it first as well as last), Effects that state multiple choices (indicated by having a colon at the end of the sentence and then starting a new line with bullet holes) Effects with the bullet hole character (Are always last on your card).

Setting up a Token Monster:
Token Monsters are monster that are never on the field, and they’re not an actual monster, but a fake monster made by another card. This can either be a Monster, Spell or Trap Card, but the rules are always the same. When you set up a Token effect, this is almost always how it goes, “Special Summon 2 “Name Tokens” (Type/Attribute/Level/ATK X/DEF X).” You might find that some have lines like “in Defense Position” or “To your opponent’s side of the field” after the stats, simply remove the period and put in whatever you feel needed here. Some Tokens have special Lingering Effect while they’re on the field. Regardless of if the card that Summoned it are still on the field (some might include “While this card is face-up on the field,” or something similar though). As stated above, when cards get Lingering Effects, they are always after an effect, so state this right after the part where they’re summoned.

Monster Types and Attributes:
It’s important that when you write with these that you do not get them mixed up. When writing an Attribute, make sure to capitalize every letter in the word. Example: “You can target 1 WIND monster…” It’s important that you do not say WIND Attribute monster, but only WIND. Though this doesn’t mean that Attribute is never used. Example: “The Attributes of all monsters on the field become DARK.” When using Monster Types, make sure to always write it like this: “When a Warrior-Type monster is destroyed and sent the Graveyard…” You always say "–Type." Always. Below is a list of all Attributes and Types.

[spoiler=Attributes and Types]
Types:
Aqua-Type
Beast-Type
Beast-Warrior-Type
Dinosaur-Type
Divine Beast-Type
Dragon-Type
Fairy-Type
Fiend-Type
Fish-Type
Insect-Type
Machine-Type
Plant-Type
Psychic-Type
Pyro-Type
Reptile-Type
Rock-Type
Sea Serpent-Type
Spellcaster-Type
Thunder-Type
Warrior-Type
Winged Beast-Type
Zombie-Type

Attributes:
DARK
DIVINE
EARTH
FIRE
LIGHT
WATER
WIND
[/spoiler]

Using 1 VS a/an properly:
There is an important diference when using 1 and when using a/an. When you want to indicate that you mean exactly 1 card, a specific card, like a face-up attack position Xyz Monster, you want to make sure don't mean "in general". Here's an example of a card that works while you only control 1 monster: "If you control 1 face-up monster: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls." If you wanted it just to be in general, you would want to write it like this: "If you control a face-up monster: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls". Now, you might wonder why I didn't also say "a" about the Spell/Trap Card, and that's because you specifically need to clarify that you're talking about 1 card, not multiple cards.
[hr]

SET and PSCT, what to write and not write:
This section will focus what you should write, and what you shouldn't. The ones to the left are wrong, the ones on the right are correct. These are taken from the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia, with minor changes. Those with ellipsis mean that what is after the ellipsis are the new wording.

SET (Simplified Effect Text):
Inflict X points of damage to your opponent's Life Pointt/Inflict X damage to your opponent.
Increase your Life Points by X points/Gain X Life Points.
Increase the ATK/DEF of this card by X points/This card gains X ATK/DEF.
Attack your opponent's Life Points directly/Attack your opponent directly.
A card with "X" in its card name.../A/An "X" card.
as a result of battle/by battle.
You can only activate this card if/when.../When/Activate only when/if
on your side of the field/you control
Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field/ Tribute 1 monster
Special Summon "X" to your side of the field/Special Summon

PSCT (Problem-Solving Card Text):
(Damage calculation is applied normally)/Does not exist anymore, do not use it.
(without damage calculation)/Does not exist anymore, do not use it.
(except during the Damage Step)/Has been added, include to effects which cannot be activated at that point in time if you wish for it not to. Most effects cannot do this regardless, however some might be able to, such as if a monster is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, then it would be able to trigger during the Damage Step. Add this line if you wish for it not to.
and if you do/Has been added, read more about it in the section titled "Then/And/Also/And if you do".
Battel Damage/battle damage, has been made lowercase.
remove from play/banish
removed from the field/leaves the field
during battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent/if this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent
select/target
selected as an attack target/targeted for an attack
attack once again/attack twice.../make a second attack
Effect Monster's effect/monster effect
still treated as a Trap Card/also still a Trap Card
Cannot be X Summoned unless/has been added.
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set/Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set
This card can only be X Summoned.../Must first be X Summoned...It's important to note that this is what is known as a semi-nomi. Semi-nomi means that they must first be Special Summoned, and then they can later be Special Summoned from the Graveyard to Banished Zone. If they return to the hand or Deck, then you need to perform the Special Summon again.
This card cannot be Special Summoned except.../Must be X Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. It's important to note that this is what is known as a nomi. Nomi means that they can ONLY be Summoned that way, and no other ways, not even in the Graveyard or the Banished Zone.
This monster can only be Ritual Summoned with the Ritual Spell Card X/You can Ritual Summon this card with X.
Hero/HERO. The HERO Archetype was a GX Archetype, but some cards included the phrase "hero", so it those cards were included as that Archetype as well, which was not the intention. Read more about this in the section called "About Quotes and Archetypes".

A little bit about battle positions:
When you wish to make an effect that Summons are monster in a specific position, you always want to make sure to write it like follows:
Attack Position: "Special Summon this card in face-up Attack Position."
Defense Position: "Special Summon this card in face-up Defense Position."
Face-down Defense Position: "Special Summon this card in face-down Defense Position."
Face-up Attack Position OR face-up Defense Position: "Special Summon this card."

Do you spot the difference? Well, the difference is that the last doesn't specify which position you are intended to Summon in. This means you can Summon it in either Attack Position or Defense Position. The other is that is says face-up. You don't say this in the last one, since Konami has decided to leave that out when you can do either Attack or Defense, but this does not include face-down though. While there are exception, there are less of a majority that don't spell it the way as above, so I suggest you use that. Also note that this doesn't refer to every time you use this, only on Summons. Unless you wish to refer to that you specifically mean face-up Defense Position, and not just Defense Position, use face-up instead of just Defense Position.

The small x and how you should use it:
Sometimes you see that a card may say "Equip only to an Xyz Monster. It gains ATK equal to its Rank x 200." (from "Xyz Unit") and sometimes you want to say "Equip only to an Xyz Monster. It gains 200 ATK for each *not Level/Rank (or what "That Wacky Magic!" and "Winged Kuriboh LV9" says)

If we take a look at Hazy Flame Basiltrice's effect, then you wouldn't write it like this: "This card gains ATK equal to number of Xyz Materials attached to it x 200." Instead, you would write it like this: "This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material attached to it."

If we look at "Bound Wand", it writes it like this: "Equip only to a Spellcaster-Type monster that has a Level. It gains ATK equal to its Level x 100." If you wrote it the wrong way, it would look like this: "Equip only to a Spellcaster-Type monster that has a Level. It gains 100 ATK for each of its Levels".

This of course also applies to Life Points as well, and not just Levels/Ranks. You normally wouldn't use the small x for things such as the amount of cards you control, as with "Geargarsenal" that states: "This card gains 200 ATK for each face-up "Geargia" monster you control."

Which order was it again?: It can be tough to know how to write your card. Many cards may have different ways of wording, some might use one, some might use another way. I always say that anything goes as long as it is post PSTC. In this section, I will teach you the word order of a thing things.

So, let's say we have this custom effect: "When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Xyz "Barbarian" Beast-Type LIGHT monster with 2000 or less ATK in face-up Attack Position on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position." As you can see, it's quite a lot of infomation we have here. Now, the way that most cards would say it is this: "When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 face-up Attack Position LIGHT "Barbarian" Beast-Type Xyz Monster with 2000 or less ATK on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position."

As you can see, the face-up part comes first, then position, than the Attribute, then the Archetype name, then the type, then the monster type, then the ATK/DEF stats. This can easily be confusing at first, but if you start reading a lot of cards, you will start to get it into your head. There's more I could easily add, which is why it makes it very confusing, though try to put it up in a way that makes the most sense.

Word List, Explanations and Usage:
Below is a list of pretty much every word used in card texts. They are written like how you would normally write them on a card, meaning that some are capitalized, and some are not. Anything in bold is usable as well, they’re simply the inflections of the words, but sometimes they might have another meaning, but it will all be explained if necessary. Unless I specify that they're capitalized, remember to write them lowercase, only the first example  on the left is how you ALWAYS write it (Examples being "control" and "Special Summon"). Of course, the word to the very left is a valid word as well as those in bold, and the words in bold are only be written once as it would be annoying on the eyes if they weren’t, in case you were wondering. EoU stands “Example of Usage", which are some examples, both my own, and some on real cards.

NOTE: I was going to finish the whole list and then put up this thread, but I kind of realized that it would take way too long, and because of that, I have decided to just update them from time to time instead. Right now there's only a few. If there’re any specific words you would like to know about right away, just comment and I'll add explanations as fast as I can. To keep yourself updated, check the update list, as the newest will always be added to that.

[spoiler=Word List, Explanations and Usage]
activate: Activate is used a lot, especially when talking about something that activates, or something that has been activated. Activating cards and activating effects is not the same thing. If your intention is to negate the activation of an effect, you must say “Activates a card effect”. If your intentions is to negate the activation of a card (as in flipped a Spell/Trap face-up or playing it from the hand) you must say “Activates a card.” EoU: “When your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card or monster/card effect... When a Spell/Trap Card or card/monster effect is activated... Before/After activating a card/this card/effect... You/Your opponent can/cannot activate this card/effect... Can (only) be activated..."

add: Adding is the act of adding cards from the Deck (Sangan), Graveyard (Salvage) or Banished Zone (Walking the Dragons) to your hand. When writing effects with adding, it’s important to note that you do not add cards from the field to your hand, instead, you return them to you hand (look further down for the explanation of “return”). Also note that adding is not considered drawing a card (but drawing is considered adding) EoU: “You can add 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your Deck to your hand. Add 1 Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard to your hand. Add 1 banished monster to your hand. When your opponent adds a card to their hand. Adding is only used on 3 cards, so use “add” or “adds” instead, though it is a valid term, so you can use it as well. Here’s what they look like on those 3 cards: (Drawing cards is also considered as "adding a card to the hand.") [Droll & Lock Bird] If you control a face-up Fairy-Type "Madolche" monster, you can Special Summon the monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position instead of adding it to your hand. [Madolche Ticket] Until your opponent's second End Phase, your opponent shows you all the cards that they draw before adding them to their hand. [Pikeru’s Second Sight].”

addition: Talks about gaining more of a thing, either it be an extra attack, an extra Normal Summons, etc. EoU: "From "Mahunder": Once per turn: You can Normal Summon 1 Level 4 LIGHT Thunder-Type monster from your hand, except "Mahunder", as an additional Normal Summon. From "Trident Dragon": When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can destroy up to 2 cards you control. If you do, for each card destroyed by this effect, this card gains 1 additional attack this turn. From "Fire Formation - Tensu": During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 Beast-Warrior-Type monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)"

adjacent: Adjacent refers to moving a card from 1 spot on the field to another, either to the left, or to the right. This is only used on a very few cards, and you typically always say "move 1 X you control to an adjacent unoccupied Y Zone" X being the type of card (Monster or Spell/Trap) and Y being which zone, either Monster Card Zone or Spell & Trap Card Zone. You might also have talk about columns, which are the 4 zones in a column (go figure) from your Spell & Trap Card Zone to your Monster Card Zone, to your opponent's Monster Card Zone, to your opponent's Spell Card Zone. EoU: "From “Senet Switch”, the main card to use this wording: Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can move 1 monster on your side of the field to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone."

ATK/DEF: ATK and DEF are always spelled uppercased like that, you never say ATK points or Attack Points (I see this sometimes, and it is wrong on so many levels). The same rules go for ATK and DEF when it comes to wording. ATK and DEF is used when talking about monster's ATK values on monster, each monster has one written in either numbers from 0 to 9999 (They never go above, except by card effects) or by a question mark (?). It's important to note that monsters without a number cannot be searched, and their ATK will always be 0, except for when their effect is in play. The ? determines their ATK value, also if that monsters effects are negated, it might lose it's ATK values, and in that case it will be reset to its original ATK, which would be 0 (but it's still considered to have question mark as an ATK value). ATK is of course also used when you attack (some cards might be able to attack with their DEF instead, but only if they say they can). When attacking, you compare the ATK to the opponent’s monster's ATK (or DEF if their monster is in Defense Position) and if yours is higher, you destroy the monster (except if it cannot be destroyed because of an effect). It's important to note that you cannot destroy monsters with 0 ATK; in that case neither monster will be destroyed after damage calculation. EoU: "The ATK and DEF of that target become 0. That target gain 500 AKT for each monster in your Graveyard. 1 monster your opponent controls loses 800 ATK and DEF. If you control a monster with 2000 ATK or higher… There's plenty more examples for this, but the main point here is that you write it somewhat like this, and you should generally get it right: X ATK, ATK by X, the ATK is higher/lower than X, where X is your ATK value.")

attach: Cards attached to Xyz Monsters are not actually on the field. Both monsters and Spell/Trap Cards can be attached, but not Tokens. EoU: "From "Xyz Agent": If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 "Utopia" Xyz Monster you control; attach this card from your Graveyard to it as an Xyz Material. From "Abyss Dweller": While this card has an Xyz Material attached that was originally WATER, all WATER monsters you control gain 500 ATK. From "Overlay Regen":
Target 1 face-up Xyz Monster on the field; attach this card to it as an Xyz Material."

attack: During the Battle Phase, you can attack with monsters. You can only attack once with all monsters, though they can get additional attacks. You can normally only attack while in Attack Position, though some cards allow you to attack in Defense Position as well. You always declare an attack, you do so by targeting the monster you want to attack. It's important to note that this is not the same as when an effect targets. Some cards MUST attack, such as the Karakuri archetype. EoU: "When this card attacks: You can change the battle position of 1 monster your opponent controls. From "Gentlooper": When an opponent's monster declares an attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. From "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack": Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. This card cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect. From "Swords of Blazing Light": If you control no monsters, monsters controlled by your opponent cannot declare attacks. If you control a monster OR your opponent has 5 or more cards in their hand, this card is destroyed. During the turn that a monster attacked: You can banish all monsters that didn't attack this turn.

Attack Position: Attack Position is when the card is on the field, and is placed vertical. When in this position, you are allowed to attack with the card, and the when you battle, you compare the card's ATK to the other card's ATK or DEF.  You can also change the card's battle position, unless you Summoned the card this turn (unless a card effect says you can). EoU: "Face-up Attack Position monsters cannot be destroyed by battle. Target 1 face-up Attack Position monster; negate its effects. You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; that targets gains 1000 ATK, then Special Summon 1 monster in face-up Attack Position from your Graveyard."

Attribute

banish

Battle Damage

battle position: When talking about battle positions, unlike Attack Position and Defense Position, this is not capitalized. Battle position is the position in which a monster is in, either Attack Position or Defense Position. Monsters can change their battle position during your Main Phase, but not the turn they are Summoned or have attacked, unless a card says it can. When you change the position of a monster, that may trigger some effects, and you may not be able to even do so if certain cards are on the field ("Swords of Concealing Light"). EoU: "Change the battle positions of all monsters on the field. When the battle position of a monster(s) changes: Negate those monsters' effects, then draw 1 card for each of those monsters."

become: Become and becomes are both used. This is used when talking about ATK/DEF becoming an exact amount, when talking about a Level/Rank becoming an exactly Level/Rank, when talking about a name becoming another name, when talking about a Type/Attribute coming another, changing to a specific Phase (Summon Breaker). Pretty much, it means that something in the game changes to something that it wasn't originally. EoU: "From "Summon Breaker": "During Main Phase 1, when the Turn Player Summons for the 3rd time this turn: It becomes the End Phase of this turn. From "Radius the Halfmoon Dragon": If your opponent controls a Xyz Monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you do, its Level becomes 8. From U Once per turn: You can activate this effect; this card's ATK becomes 0, and if it does, Special Summon 1 "Umbralis" monster with 0 ATK from your hand."

card

card effect

card type: A card type is either a Monster, Spell or Trap. This is not used on a lot of cards, however when referring to multiples choices for different card types, then it's useful to use this. A popular example is "Number 16: Shock Master", which states: "Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap); that type of card (if Spell or Trap) cannot activate its effects, until the end of your opponent's next turn." EOC: "From "Chow Len the Prohet": Once per turn: You can declare either Spell or Trap, and target 1 Set card in your opponent's Spell & Trap Card Zone; look at that target, and if it is the declared card type, that card cannot be activated this turn. From "Vampire Lord": When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: Declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap); your opponent sends 1 card of that type from their Deck to the Graveyard."

Chain

Chain Link

change: Change is used when talking about battle positions. You either say "Change that target to Attack/Defense Position", or you say "Change that target's battle position. EoU: "When 1 monster's battle position is changed: Destroy 1 monster on the field, except that monster. Once per turn: You can change 1 monster to Defense Position, then target 1 card; destroy it. "

coin

column

conduct: Used mostly when talking about conducting your Battle Phase, though there's also a few other things, such as conducting a Summon, as seen on "Summon Breaker". Almost all cards use the phrase "You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect." Which you also put after the effect that would cause this. EoU: "Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster you control; banish 1 monster your opponent controls. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect. From “Summon Breaker”: During Main Phase 1, if the turn player successfully conducts their third Summon of a monster(s) this turn: It becomes the End Phase.

Continuous Spell Card

Continuous Trap Card

control: When a player controls a card that means that it’s on the field. It’s important to note that control is not the same as having a card in possession, as possessing a card refers both the also your hand, Deck or Graveyard. Control is also used when you take control of a card you opponent controls, mostly monsters though. Another place control is used, is switch control, and is also legit, as seen on ”Creature Swap”. When you target something you control or your opponent controls, if you no longer control that card, you target will be lost. Not controlling ("controlling" is not used on a lot of cards, so stay away from using it) a card means that it has either left the field, which would trigger certain effects, or that you have no cards on your side of the field, either monsters or Spell and Trap Cards, which is important when you want to Summon cards like “Cyber Dragon”. Also, make sure that you control the card, and not your opponent, so if you card says “If this card you control is destroyed” then it won’t trigger its effect if your opponent controls it when it’s destroyed. There’s also return(s) control, as seen on “Owner’s Seal” and “Remove Brainwashing”, which basically means that you return the card back. On cards like “Mystic Box”, you give control of the card to your opponent, as you do not switch 1 monster with another, and you do not take it, then you give it instead. The controller of a card when it is destroyed, is the person who had it on their side of the field, NOT the person whose Deck it belongs to. An example of this would be "Giant Kozaky". EoU: “You can target 1 monster you control; banish it, then destroy 1 monster your opponent controls. If you control no monsters: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of that target. Control of this card cannot change. When a monster you control is destroyed by battle: Target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy that target. There’re plenty more uses for control then just these, but normally you want to specify what kind of card it is, either that or you simply say “card” if you’re talking about both monsters and Spell/Trap Cards.”

copy/copies

Counters

Counter Trap Card

damage: When you take damage, you either take it by battle or by an effect. Taking damage and paying Life Points are not the same thing, in which case, you do not want to say you take damage, rather that you payed Life Points. Damage can only be inflicted by your opponent, and you inflict damage to your opponent. Some effects may trigger if you do, and some may prevent you from taking a certain kind of damage, either it be effect damage or battle damage. Note that taking battle damage does not mean that if your opponent inflicted damage by a card effect during damage, your effects may trigger, only monsters battling (or damage from a direct attack) counts as battle damage. EOU: "When you would take effect damage, you can destroy 1 monster you control instead. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can draw 1 card. Inflict 500 damage to your opponent."

Deck: There are 3 different kinds of Decks. The first is Main Deck. This is where all your Normal/Effect, Spell and Trap Cards go. No Extra Deck monsters may be in here. The third is the Side Deck. This is not an official term used in the game, and should not be used unless you wish to make a new concept in the game. Cards that can be returned to the Deck (but doesn't say Main Deck) may also return to the Extra Deck (See "Pot of Avarice"). If a monster is returned to the hand, but it is an Extra Deck monster, it is returned to the Extra Deck instead. At no point may there be Extra Deck monsters in your Main Deck, or vice-versa, unless, again, you are making new concepts. Note that if a card only says "Deck", then you may not send, draw, or anything else from the Extra Deck. Cards that state that only mean the Main Deck. EOU: "Return 1 Xyz Monster from your Graveyard to your Extra Deck. This card cannnot be Special Summoned from the Deck. When this card is targeted by a card effect: Return it to the Extra Deck, and if you do, negate that effect. Send 1 monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then return 1 monster from your hand to your Deck. Shuffle 1 monster from your Graveyard into the Deck."

declare: This is mostly used when talking about "declaring an attack", but is also used when you want to declare a card name, card type, monster type, level, a number for an effect (such as a number on a die) etc. When your opponent declares an attack, if you choose to activate something in response to that declaration (this term's only used on 1 card, that being "Light End Dragon"), then you can only activate 1 card that states "when an opponent's monster declares an attack" or something like that. EoU: "Light End Dragon": At attack declaration, if this card battles another monster: You can have this card lose 500 ATK and DEF (permanently), and the monster this card is battling loses 1500 ATK and DEF until the End Phase. From "Gagaga Gardna": When your opponent's monster declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. From "Prohibition": Activate by declaring 1 card name. Cards with that name, and their effects, cannot be used. Cards already on the field are not affected (including face-down cards)."

decrease: A card doesn’t decrease it's ATK or DEF anymore, it loses it, however, "Galaxy Knight" says this: "This ATK decrease lasts until the End Phase.", but do not say "1 monster's ATK is decreased by 500", say "1 monster loses 500 ATK" instead. Don't use decrease anymore. However, you do use this when talking about increasing Levels, though reduce is more commonly used (some cards after PSCT used decrease as well) Decreases is not used on any card after PSCT, though you could use it if you wish. Decrease was also used when talking about decreasing Life Points. Instead, if it's for your opponent, say "inflict X damage to your opponent's Life Points" or if it's to yourself say "take X damage to your Life Points".

Defense Position: Defense Position is when the card is on the field, and is placed horizontally. When in this position, you are not allowed to attack with the card, except if a card says you can. When a monster attack this monster, or in case you have an effect that allows the card to attack in Defense Position attack, you compare the card's DEF, and if the DEF of the card is higher than the ATK (or DEF) then the card is not destroyed, and nether is the opponent's card. You also take no damage againts a Defense Position monster, and monsters. You can also change the card's battle position, unless you Summoned the card this turn (unless a card effect says you can). When you change the battle position of a Defense Position monster, you change it to face-up Attack Position. If the card is attacked, it remains in face-up Defense Position instead. EoU: "Target 1 face-up Defense Position monster; send it to the Graveyard. When this face-up Defense Position monster is attacked: Negate the attack, then change this card to Attack Position. Face-up Defense Position monster cannot be attacked. Special Summon 1 monster in face-up Defense Position from your Graveyard."

destroy: A monster who destroys another monster by battle is considered to have destroyed it by battle. Monsters can be destroyed 2 ways, either by battle or by a card effect (or a cost that destroys the card). Some effects may only trigger at certain points, so it's important to indicate how you destroy. Also not that you can destroy cards in the Deck and hand as well as the field, and Spells/Traps are of course no exception. Remember that your cards are not destroyed if they're sent to the Graveyard for a Tribute, Synchro Summon etc. unless it says that it destroys them when you do. This also means that if the card "sends" the card, it isn't considered to be destroyed. EOU: "You can target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can target 1 monster you control; it gains ATK equal to the destroyed monster's Level x 500. When this card is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can return 1 monster you control to the hand, and if you do, destroy 1 monster on the field.

detach: Detaching an Xyz Material is most likely the cost of the Xyz Monster to activate that card's effect(s). It may not always be the case though, as some cards like "Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction" detaches its Xyz Material as an effect instead. The same goes for Continuous Effects like "Maestroke the Symphony Djinn" whose second effect does not start a chain, and is a card effect rather than a cost. It's not always Xyz Monster who detach Xyz Materials, and certain effects may trigger when an Xyz Monster is detached. Also, Xyz Materials that are detached are not considered to be on the field, so they won't trigger unless they say that "sent to the Graveyard". EOU: "You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy 1 monster on the field. When an Xyz Material is detached from this card, this card gains 500 ATK. You can target 1 monster you control and 1 Xyz Monster your opponent controls with Xyz Material; detach all its Xyz Material, and if you do, send the first target to the Graveyard.

discard: Discarding is the act of sending a card from your hand to the Graveyard. It's important to note that you don't discard from the Deck, rather you send. Also, you can send cards from the hand to the Graveyard as well, but this is different than discarding. However, discarding and sending is the same thing. Discarding can either be done as a cost, or as an effect. Popular example of Archetypes that use this are Dark World and Fabled, the first of which needs the discarding to be an effect rather than a cost. You can discard even if Macro Cosmos is up, however, if the card says "Discard to the Graveyard" you cannot. EOU: "You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your hand. When a card is discarded: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. During either player's turn, when your opponnet would destroy a monster you control by battle, you can discard 1 card to the Graveyard instead."

draw: Drawing a card is the act of adding the top card from your Deck to your hand. Draw and DRAW is not the same thing, as DRAW is the act of both people losing at the same time. EoU: “You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; draw 1 card. Target 1 monster; destroy it and your opponent draws 2 cards. Your opponent cannot add cards from their Deck to their hand, except by drawing them.”

DRAW: DRAW is differnt from draw, in that this talks about when both players would lose. Only few cards actually use this, such as "Last Turn". Some cards create a DRAW, but doesn't say it does, such as "Self-Destruct Button". Normally don't make cards that support this, unless you're in AoC, but it is important to know that it exists. EoU: "From "Last Turn": This card can only be activated during your opponent's turn when your Life Points are 1000 or less. Select 1 monster on your side of the field and send all other cards on the field and in their respective owner's hands to their respective Graveyards. After that, your opponent selects and Special Summons 1 monster from their Deck in face-up Attack Position and attacks your selected monster. (Any Battle Damage from this battle is treated as 0.) The player whose monster remains alone on the field at the End Phase of this turn wins the Duel. Any other case results in a DRAW."

Duel: Duel isn't used very often. It is either used when talking about only being able to activate/use it once per Duel, or when talking about alt-wins, where it would normally say "you win the Duel". It is also used on cards which state that certain cards cannot be used for the rest of the Duel, such as "Armageddon Designator". EoU: "From "Tesuke Knight": When an opponent's monster declares an attack, while you have no cards in your hand and this card is in your Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, then end the Battle Phase. You can only use the effect of "Tasuke Knight" once per Duel. From "Exodia the Forbidden One": When you have "Right Leg of the Forbidden One", "Left Leg of the Forbidden One", "Right Arm of the Forbidden One", and "Left Arm of the Forbidden One", in addition to this card in your hand, you win the Duel."

during: During is used to explain at what point something happens/can happen. This is a list of possible Phases and Steps you can use during in. You also sometimes name that you can’t use an effect during some in some cases, such as “Wind-Up Factory”: Draw Phase, Standby Phase, Main Phase (1), Battle Phase (as a whole), start of the Battle Phase, declaring an attack (also applies to when/if), when a monster attacks (also applies to when/if), Damage Step (as a whole), at the start of the Damage Step (also applies to when/if), a monster is flipped face-up (also applies to when/if), before damage calculation (also applies to when/if), during damage calculation (also applies to when/if), after damage calculation (also applies to when/if), end of the Damage Step (also applies to when/if), Main Phase (2) End Phase, your turn, your opponent’s turn, next turn, X turn (X being number of turns).  EOC: “Once per turn, during your Main Phase 2: You can target 1 monster that was destroyed this turn; Special Summon it. During either player’s Damage Step, except during damage calculation: Target 1 monster on the field; it gains 500 ATK and DEF. During either player’s turn, except during the End Phase: You can return 1 monster you control to the hand to target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.”

Effect Damage

Effect Monster

Equip

Equip Card

Equip Spell Card

Extra Deck

face-down

face-up

field

Field Spell Card

flip

FLIP

Flip Effect Monster

Flip Summon

Fusion Material Monster

Fusion Monster

gain: Is used when talking about either gaining Life Points or gaining ATK/DEF. Some older cards say "increase" when talking about Life Points or ATK/DEF, and some older cards use "gain" when talking about Levels. Try to stay away from that, as you Gain Life Points, and increase Levels, not the other way around. A monster can gain as much ATK and DEF as you want, even going all the way over 5000 ATK, which is the maximum ATK for any card in the same without multipliers. EoU: You can gain 500 Life Points. Target 1 monster; it gains 500 ATK and DEF.

Gemini Monster

Graveyard

hand

increase: A card doesn’t increase it's ATK or DEF anymore, it gains it, and so with Life Points Don't use increase anymore. However, you do use this when talking about increasing Levels. Increases is not used on any card after PSCT, though you could use it if you wish. EoU: "From Starfish": Once per turn: You can increase the Level of each "Starfish" you currently control by 1. From Chronomaly Golden Yet": Once per turn: You can increase the Levels of all "Chronomaly" monsters you currently control by 1."

inflict

Level

Life Points

lose: The counterpart to gains. All the same rules apply, though you cannot go under 0 in ATK and DEF, so if an effect such as "Light and Darkness Dragon's" negate would put it under 0, then you cannot use that effect (If it's not required that it needs to lose EXACTLY that amount, then it will lose until it has 0, though for the case of LADD, you need to lose the exact amount). EoU: "Once per turn, when a monster you control would lose ATK: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; it gains the same amount. Target 1 monster you control; it loses 1000 ATK and DEF, and if it does, this card gains ATK equal to that target's original ATK."

Main Deck

Match: Match is only used on very few cards, and those cards are what are known as "Match Winners", what they do is that when you reduce your opponent's Life Points to 0, you win the entire match, regardless of if your win count is 0. These were only used for promotion, and you should therefor not design cards around this concept. Though, that doens't mean that is isn't a valid word, and you might be able to find a way to spin it around. EoU: "From "Victory Dragon": If this card attacks your opponent directly and reduces their Life Points to 0, you win the Match."

(max.) & (min.): This is always written in parentheses, and is always written like that. Additionally, there's also (min.) for minimum, though sometimes it's written (Minimum 1) and (min 1) without the period. Typically with those, you can also say "1 or more" instead, and that phrase is also used on more cards. It's common to see (max.) on cards talking about Counters, though there's also Xyz Monsters that say this, allowing the maximum Xyz Materials to be higher than number required to Summon it (See "Hazy Flame Basiltrice"). "Psychic Sword" also talks about ATK, and all Fortune Lady cards about Levels. EoU: "Once per turn: You can increase this card's Level by 1 (max. 12) and if you do, target 1 monster your opponent controls; that target's Level becomes the same as this card. As seen on an Xyz Monster: "2 Level 4 (max. 5) DARK monsters."

monster

Monster Card Zone

monster effect

move: Used when moving cards from a zone to another. It's also used when talking about moving Counters from 1 card to another (Only on "Pitch-Black Power Stone as far as I'm aware). It's also used on "Necrovalley", but only there as well. NEW: I have learned that it is used on the card "Pyro Clock of Destiny". "EoU: “From “Senet Switch”: Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can move 1 monster on your side of the field to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone. From "Necrovally": Negate any card effect that would move a card in the Graveyard, other than itself, to a different place. From "Pitch-Black Power Stone": During each of your turns you can move 1 Spell Counter from this card to another face-up card that you can place a Spell Counter on."

Normal Monster

Normal Spell Card

Normal Trap Card

opponent: You need to have an opponent to play Yu-Gi-Oh, that is quite obvious, and as such, many cards tend to use this term. The opponent is never you, and when your opponent has a card that is actually yours in their control, you become the opponnet of that card, even though you own the card. This means that if you destroyed a card that says "When this card is destroyed by your opponnet's card effect", then if the card returns to you, it's no longer considered to be destroyed by your opponent. This is important to note when you make cards that take control of certain other cards. EoU: "When your opponent declares an attack: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; negate the attack, and if you do, end the Battle Phase. Your opponent cannot target this card for an attack."

or: This is used to indicate that there’s the choice, meaning you can’t do both. Some effects have “and/or” meaning that you can do both or you can do 1 of them. EOC: “You can send this face-up card you control to your Graveyard to target 2 face-up monsters your opponent controls; banish up to 2 of those targets, or flip those targets into face-down Defense Position. You can send this card, or 1 Spell/Trap Card you control to the Graveyard; destroy 1 monster your opponent controls. If you control no cards: You can destroy this card, and/or 1 other monster you control; Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard”.

pay

piercing

place

player: There's always two players in 1 duel (4 for tag-team-duels). The cards you play, typically always refered to as the person performing the actions to be "you". Player is more used when talking about whose turn/phase a certain effect can be used in, or if both players are mentioned. The turn player is quite obviously the player who drew during the Draw Phase this turn, who chooses if they want to go to the Battle Phase etc. and the turn player always has priority to activate effects. Your opponent is typically always refered to as your opponent, not "the other player" or "player two" or something like that, so stay away form using those terms. A typical thing you will see on cards is this line "During either player's turn". This means that the effect is useable at all times, either when you are given priority by your opponent to make it Chain Link 1, or to respond in actions to other activations/effects. This is what is known as Quick-Effect (or with Spells/Traps "Quick-Like Effect). EoU: "Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 monster in the Graveyard; banish that target, also this card gains 100 ATK and DEF for each monster in the Graveyard. The turn player cannot attack. Both players can target 1 monster they control; those targets can attack directly."

possession: This is a fairly new term, which came after PSCT, and means that it isn't just on the field that it's effect will trigger, but also in the Hand, Deck or Graveyard (I am not so sure about Banished Zone, I can't find any reliable source that states this, but I assume it is as well). A card in your/your opponent's possession is used on Madolche a lot, which is the only archetype which features this, but there are also other cards that use this. EoU: "From "Madolche Hootcake": When this card in your possession is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard:"

Quick-Play Spell Card

Rank

return

reveal

remove: Remove was once used mostly to talk about remove from play, which is today known as "banish". Today, we only use remove to talk about removing Counters from cards. There are some cards that say "removed from the field", such as “Reborn Tengu”, though I have seen no examples of it on any PSCT card, correct me if I'm wrong below. EoU: " When this card is activated: You can remove 1 Spell Counter from 1 card you control; banish 1 monster in your Graveyard, then place Spell Counters on this card equal to the Level of the banished monster. Once per turn: You can remove any number of Spell Counters from this to target the same number of Spell Cards in your Graveyard; banish them, and if you do, destroy cards on the field equal to the number of Spell Cards removed. From "Snowdust Dragon": You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by removing 4 Ice Counters from anywhere on the field.".

Ritual Monster

Ritual Spell Card

Ritual Summon

send

Set

shuffle

six-sided die

Spell & Trap Card Zone

Spell Card

Spirit Monster

Summon: Summoning is the act of placing a monster on the field. There’re different kinds of Summoning, which are all explained in their respective sections. Summoning used in an effect talks about both the act of Normal Summoning, Special Summoning or something else. If you want to refer to only a specific kind of Summoning, make sure to use Normal, Tribute Special, Ritual, Fusion, Gemini, Synchro and Xyz. Normal, Tribute and Gemini are all considered to be Normal Summons, and you can only Normal Summon once per turn, unless a card states otherwise. Ritual, Fusion, Synchro and Xyz are all considered to be Special Summons, and therefore, if you cannot Special Summon, you cannot Ritual Summon, Xyz Summon etc. You can also Special Summon as many times as you want, unless a card says you cannot. EoU: “When you Summon 1 monster: Target 1monster Summoned from the hand; destroy it. Monsters Summoned from the hand cannot be destroyed by battle. When your opponent Summons a monster(s): Banish those monsters, and if you do, you cannot Summon monsters until your next turn.”

switch: Switch is used mostly when talking about switching control of cards. You also use it when talking about ATK/DEF and when talking about switching to another target. It's important that you switch with 2 different objects, either it be 2 different cards, or it be switching ATK to DEF. What this means, is that you would not say "Switch that target to Defense Position" as there is no second object, only itself. EoU: "From "Super Crashbug": Switch the ATK and DEF of all face-up Attack Position monsters on the field. From "Xyz Reversal": Target 2 Xyz Monsters (1 on each side of the field); switch control of both monsters. From "Evulutionary Bridge": When a monster you control is targeted for an attack: Target 1 "Evoltile" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target, then switch the attack target to that monster and conduct damage calculation.

Synchro Material (Monster): You say Synchro Material Monster in most cases, though there are some cards which only say Synchro Material. Use the last word though, as Fusion Monsters also say Fusion Material Monster(s). Synchro Material Monsters are both the Tuner and the non-Tuner monsters. Some cards may say that they can be used as a Synchro Material Monster even if they are a Tuner, but generally, Tuners can only be used as the part which states “1 Tuner” and other non-Tuners are after that, indicated by the plus symbol “+ 1 or more non-Tuner monsters”. You can always change if there should be 2 Tuners, or if it should be a specific non-Tuner monster, like an Archetype, a specific Attribute etc. EoU: “This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster. When this card is sent to the Graveyard as a Synchro Material Monster: Draw 1 card. You can use your opponent’s monsters as Synchro Material Monsters.”

Synchro Monster: A Synchro Monster is a monster that belongs in the Extra Deck. Synchro Monsters are monsters which require 2 monsters on the field to be Summoned. At least 1 Tuner (most can only use 1, but some say that they allow for more, or even NEED more)  and at least 1 non-Tuner monster (it’s more often the case that they will say “1or more” as it’s not always easy to get the exact Level with just 2 monsters). A Synchro Monster is always a Special Summon only monster, and if their Summon is negated, they cannot be Special Summon from the Graveyard or Banished Zone. Synchro Monsters also have their special upgrade called Accel Synchro Monsters. This is not an official term, and all they are, are monsters which require Tuner Synchro Monsters to be Synchro Summoned. Synchro Monsters can be used to Xyz Summon as well, and anything else as well. EoU: “Activate only when your opponent Synchro Summons a monster(s): Change those monsters to face-down Defense Position. Synchro Monsters cannot be destroyed by battle.”
Synchro Summon: Synchro Summoning is when you send 1 or more Tuners (is either written on the card, or is given the status of Tuner by a card) and 1 or more non-Tuner monsters (can be anything that doesn't say it's a Tuner, is an Xyz Monster or has a line that says "This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.") to the Graveyard. You do not need to be able to send them to the Graveyard to Synchro Summon, if a card like "Macro Cosmos" is in play you are still able to Synchro Summon. Synchro Summons are always considered to be Special Summon only monsters, and Synchro Monsters that are not first Synchro Summoned properly cannot be Special Summoned again. EoU: ”You can Synchro Summon using this card as a Synchro Material Monster. When you Synchro Summon using this card as a Synchro Material Monster: That monster gains 500 ATK and DEF. When your opponent Synchro Summons 1 monster: Banish it.”
take: Take is used when talking about taking control (read control for more info) or when taking Life Points away. When you "take Life Points" then that means that it's decreased by an amount, or that you cannot take Life Points, or that the Life Points you take is reduced/increased. EoU: "From "Number 11: Big Eye": Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of that target. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

target: Target has already been explained above, though I will talk in more detail here. Targets are cards on either the field, the Graveyard or the Banished Zone. You cannot target cards in your hand, Deck, or Extra Deck. You need to target a card, or have a cost, otherwise, you do not use the semi-colon. You do NOT target after the semi-colon in an effect, this is wrong, and impossible in the actual game. You also do not target/have a cost, and then proceed with a condition, a wrong example would be this: "Target 1 monster your opponent controls; if you control no monsters: Take control of that target". That is just something I do not want to see, so stay away from it. You always target when you equip a monster with an Equip Card, even if it doesn't say you do, example being "Blast Sphere". You also target something when you declare an attack, and the target will stay the same for the rest of that battle (unless a card changes the target/the target is lost). Targeted and targeting are both useable words. EoU: "From "Bujin Relic - Hetsuka": During either player's turn, when a "Bujin" monster(s) you control is targeted by a card effect: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; negate that effect. From "The Transmigration Prohecy": Target 2 cards in the Graveyard(s); shuffle those targets into the Deck(s). From "Dotegotengu": If this card in its owner's possession is sent to the Graveyard by an opponent's card effect: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand."

Token

Toon

Toon Monster

toss a coin

Trap Card

Tuner

Tuner Monster

turn: Turn is most commonly used in the sentence "During either player's turn", which means that it's a Quick-Effect (or Quick-Like Effect in the case of Spells/Traps), and on the sentence "Once per turn", though it it also used when talkinga about turn count, which is a concept seen on the card "Pyro Clock of Destiny". Your turn lasts until your opponent's next turn, which makes it different from cards that say "Until the End Phase", as cards like that mean that it ends at some point there, in which case if the effect of a monster is negated, it may be able to use an effect which activates during the End Phase. EoU: "Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 monster; negate that target's effects until the end of the next turn. From "Pyro Clock of Destiny": Move the turn count forward by 1 turn. This card gains 500 ATK during each of your Standby Phases for the next 3 of your turns."

Union

Union Monster

unoccupied: Can be found on most Senet like cards, and means that the zone most not have a card in it. On the other hand, there's also occupied which means that it MUST have a card in it. EoU: "From "Straight Flush": Activate only when all of your opponent's Spell & Trap Card Zones are occupied. Destroy all cards in your opponent's Spell & Trap Card Zones. From "Rampaging Rhynos": Once per turn, this card can move to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone. If this card attacks the monster in its same column, this card gains 500 ATK during the Damage Step."

use: Use and activate are important to know the difference of. When you "use" a card, then you don't get to "redo" it if you get negated, when you have done that, you're done. If you activate an effect, if it's negated, you will still get the chance to activate it again. Used is also used on cards when they cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster or something like that. Another example of "use" is on "Prohibition" which states that the card cannot be "used" at all. What this means is that you cannot Normal Summon it, Summon it by its own effects, it cannot activate its effects, in case of Spells and Traps, it cannot be activated, cannot change positions, used as a Material. EoU: "From "Garbage Lord": This card cannot be used as an Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon, except for the Xyz Summon of a DARK monster. From "Enthusiastic Beast Wolfberk": You can target 1 Level 4 FIRE Beast-Warrior-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it in face-up Defense Position, but its effects on the field are negated. The effect of "Enthusiastic Beastman Wolfberk" can only be used once per turn.

way: Way is almost always used in effects like this “Do X to do Y. If you Y this way Z”. X is not always needed (such as some Inherent Summons) but is a cost/condition. Y is the important part is what Z relies on for its fulfillment. Z could be “Special Summon” or it could be “send a card to the Graveyard”. Ways is also a valid word, and is typically worded like so: “can/cannot (be) X by other ways.” X being Special Summon in most cases. This is always used on nomi and semi-nomi cards. An example of a real card usage would be on Wyburstar the Ivory Dragon that states: “Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can only Special Summon "Wyburstar the Ivory Dragon" this way once per turn.” EoU: “From Moulinglacia the Elemental Lord” we have an example of how “by other ways” is used: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having exactly 5 WATER monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. From Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit we have an example of how “this way” is used: If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot attack during the turn it is Special Summoned this way. It’s important to note that it doesn’t need to be a “bad” thing that you have way, such as “Number 32: Shark Drake”: Once per turn, when this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon the destroyed monster to your opponent's side of the field in face-up Attack Position, but it loses 1000 ATK, and if you do Summon this way, this card can attack once again during this Battle Phase.”

when/if: Some of the most commonly used words, explaining at what point something can happen, and if something triggers if a condition is met. It’s important to note that when writing, that you will miss the timing if you use when… you can, but not if... you can. More about this can be read above, if you haven’t already. It’s not always that when and if are used the same, for instance, you don’t want to write “When you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand)”, but instead exchange when with if. EoU: “Once per turn, when you Normal Summon a monster: You can destroy 1 monster you control; the Normal Summoned monster gains ATK equal to half of the original ATK of the destroyed monster. If you would send a card to the Graveyard to activate a card effect, you can send this card to the Graveyard instead. When you destroy a monster by battle: Gain 500 Life Points.”

Xyz Material: A Xyz Material is the card(s) you put under a Xyz Monster when you Xyz Summon, this is called attaching a Xyz Material to a Xyz Material. You must put the requirement stated on the Xyz Monster under it, no more, no less (unless it says that you can do that). You detach Xyz Materials, either as a cost, or an effect (Such as Acid Golem). You can only use monsters as Xyz Materials, except for a few Spell/Trap Card which say they can, or say that another card can. Xyz Materials are only considered that while under the monster, if they go to the Grave, then they're just the same, also when they go to the Grave, they're not considered to have been on the field, so cards like "Sangan" won't activate. An interesting thing about how you word this compared to Fusion Material Monsters and Synchro Material Monsters, as that you never use the "monsters" at the end, and this is probably because there're cards other than monsters you can use. You do not want to say Xyz Material Monsters, but only Xyz Material. EoU: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card: Banish all monsters on the field. "From "Blade Armor Ninja": Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 "Ninja" monster you control; it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn. From "Bachi Bachi Bachi": An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card on the field as Xyz Material gains this effect.
● If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent."

Xyz Monster: A Xyz Monster is a monster that belongs in the Extra Deck. Xyz Monsters have Ranks, and unlike other monsters cannot be used for a Synchro Summon, and you cannot use any card that talks about levels with them. Xyz Monsters are Special Summon only monsters, so if they are negated, or if they are not Xyz Summoned properly, they cannot be Special Summoned again from the Graveyard or the Banished Zone. EoU: "Xyz Monsters cannot be destroyed by battle. When you Xyz Summon a Xyz Monster: You can banish 1 Xyz Monster your opponent controls."

Xyz Summon: An Xyz Summon is when you put monsters under a Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck and then place it on the field. You must put the requirement stated on the Xyz Monster under it, no more; no less (unless it says that you can do that). Almost all Xyz Summons are inherent. Only when you use another card to Xyz Summon, such as "Rank-Up Magic" Spell Cards, you start a chain. Xyz Summons are always considered to be Special Summons only, and Xyz Monsters that are not first Xyz Summoned properly cannot be Special Summoned again. EoU: "When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 monster you control; destroy it, then Special Summon 1 Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck. From "Splash Capture": When your opponent Xyz Summons: Banish 2 Fish-Type monsters from your Graveyard to target that face-up Xyz Monster; take control of that target. From "Heroic Challenger - Extra Sword": An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material gains this effect.
● When it is Xyz Summoned: It gains 1000 ATK."

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Without Explanations]
activate/activate/activates/activated/activating

add(s)/adding

addition/additional

adjacent

ATK/DEF

attach/attached

Attack/attacks/attacked

Attack Position

Attribute

banish

Battle Damage

battle position(s)

become(s)

card

card effect

card type

Chain

Chain Link

change/changed             

coin

column

conduct(s)

Continuous Spell Card

Continuous Trap Card

control(s)/take control/switch control/controlling/return(s) control

copy/copies

Counters

Counter Trap Card

damage

Deck

declare(s)/declaring/declaration

decrease(s)

Defense Position

destroy

detach

discard

draw(s)/drawing

DRAW

Duel

during

Effect Damage

Effect Monster

Equip

Equip Card

Equip Spell Card

Extra Deck

face-down

face-up

field

Field Spell Card

flip

FLIP

Flip Effect Monster

Flip Summon

Fusion Material Monster

Fusion Monster

gain(s)

Gemini Monster

Graveyard

hand

increase(s)

inflict

Level

Life Points

lose(s)

Main Deck

Match

(max.) & (min.)

monster

Monster Card Zone

monster effect

move

Normal Monster

Normal Spell Card

Normal Trap Card

opponent

or

pay

piercing

place

player

possession

Quick-Play Spell Card

Rank

return

reveal

remove/removed/removing

Ritual Monster

Ritual Spell Card

Ritual Summon

send

Set

shuffle

six-sided die

Spell & Trap Card Zone

Spell Card

Spirit Monster

Summon/Summoned/Summons/

switch

Synchro Material (Monster(s))

Synchro Monster

Synchro Summon(s)/Synchro Summoned

take:

target(s)/targeted/targeting

Token

Toon

Toon Monster

toss a coin

Trap Card

Tuner

Tuner Monster

turn(s)/turn count

Union

Union Monster

unoccupied/occupied

use/used
way(s)

when/if:

Xyz Material

Xyz Monster

Xyz Summon(s)/Xyz Summoned

[/spoiler]
[hr]
Card Fixes (AKA "How not to word your cards"):
Below you will find fixes of old cards and custom cards that you can submit to get fixed. It also explains what is fixed, and why it's fixed. It's quite handy to learn how not to write your cards, and how you should write them. If you have a card you need fixing, either PM me it, or post it down below. ORIGINAL means that they're real cards, and CUSTOM means they're fake custom cards.
[spoiler=Fixes of Cards]
White Magical Hat (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points, your opponent discards 1 card randomly from his/her hand.
Fixed:
When this card inflict Battle Damage to your opponent: Your opponent discards 1 random card from their hand.

The problems in this card is that 1, you don't need to say Life Points, that's redundant. The condition is "When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent" instead of the comma, there should be a colon. You switch the random to before card on newer cards. You say "their hand" instead of "his/her hand".

Endymion, the Master Magician (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
You can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard by removing 6 Spell Counters from a "Magical Citadel of Endymion" you control. When you do, add 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn, you can discard 1 Spell Card to destroy 1 card on the field.
Fixed:
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard) by removing 6 Spell Counters from 1 "Magical Citadal of Endymion" you control. When you do: Add 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn: You can discard 1 Spell Card; destroy 1 card on the field.

The problems in this card is that this is an inherent Special Summon, and normally to indicate that easily, you want to put parentheses around the part where it states where you Summon it from, in  this case, from the hand or Graveyard. It says "a" instead of "1" where a normally means that you can have multiple options based on X, where X is monsters, cards etc. The "When you do" part should have a colon. No colon after the "Once per turn" part, the "to" should be changed to a semi-colon as it is a cost.

Asceticsm of the Six Samurai (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
Select 1 face-up "Six Samurai" monster you control. Special Summon 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Deck with a different name but equal ATK to the selected monster. During the End Phase of this turn, destroy the selected monster.
Fixed:
Target 1 face-up "Six Samurai" monster you control; Special Summon 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Deck with a different name the same ATK as that target. During the End Phase of this turn, destroy that target.

"Select" should be "Target". The "." should be changed to a semi-colon, as this card targets. I have reworded the section talking about the ATK a bit, as newer cards, when talking about the same ATK as another monster, say "the same ATK". Again, it says "selected" instead of "target".

King of the Skull Servants (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
The original ATK of this card becomes the number of "King of the Skull Servants" and "Skull Servant" cards in your Graveyard x 1000. When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, by removing from play 1 other "King of the Skull Servants" or "Skull Servant" card in your Graveyard, Special Summon this card.
Fixed:
This card gains 1000 ATK for each "King of the Skull Servants" and "Skull Servant" cards in your Graveyard. When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can banish 1 other "King of the Skull Servants" or "Skull Servant" card in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card.

The first part is old, as you do not use the "X *amount*" anymore (except when talking about Levels/Ranks) It's written like how it is on Tragoedia instead. No colon after "When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard". "Remove from play" is old, you say "banish" now. No semi-colon to indicate a cost.

Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
When a "Blackwing" monster you control attacks or is attacked, you can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard during the Damage Step to have that monster gain 1400 ATK until the End Phase.
Fixed:
During the Damage Step, when a "Blackwing" monster you control battles: You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; that monster gains 1400 until the End Phase.

The main problem is the set-up. You want to have the condition first, in which the condition is that it must be during the Damage Step, and that it must be a Blackwing monster that battles. Also, while "attacks or is attacked" is still acceptable, using "battles" is short and sweeter, so I suggest you use that instead. There's no colon, and since it's a cost to send, the "to have" should be replaced with a semi-colon.

Staunch Defender (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
You can only activate this card when your opponent declares an attack. Select 1 face-up monster on your side of the field. During this turn, your opponent can only designate the selected monster as an attack target and your opponent must attack the selected monster with all face-up monsters on his/her side of the field.
Fixed:
When your opponent declares an attack: Target 1 face-up monster you control; during this Battle Phase, your opponent must target that target for an attack and must attack that target with all monsters they currently control, if able.

Shortened the effect by not saying "You can only activate this card", as it's not needed. No colon after that also. "Select" should be "Target". "on your side of the field" should be "you control". This card targets, so there must be a semi-colon after that. The last section is re-written completely. I have addeed Battle Phase instead of turn, since you can can only attack at that point, I gave it Bounzer Guard clause and Karakuri/Gravity Warrior/Savage Colusseum-like clause a well.

Damage Condenser (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
Activate only by discarding 1 card when you take Battle Damage. Special Summon, in Attack Position, 1 monster from your Deck with ATK equal to or less than the Battle Damage you took.
Fixed:
When you take Battle Damage: Discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck in Attack Position with ATK less than or equal to the Battle Damage you took.

Shortened the effect by not saying "Activate only by", and also put the condition in as well. It's a cost, so it needs a semi-colon. The last part has been reworded, so it looks more like how other cards are written.

Revival Gift (ORIGINAL)
Original Text:
Select 1 Tuner monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it. Its effects are negated. Special Summon 2 "Gift Fiend Tokens" (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 3/ATK 1500/DEF 1500) to your opponent's side of the field.
Fixed: Target 1 Tuner monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon it, but its effects are negated, also Special Summon 2 Gift Field Tokens" (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 3/1500/1500 to your opponnet's side of the field.

First, Select should be changed to Target, and there should be a semi-colon and such, but the biggest problem is that it doesn't use the word "also". This means that the player has no clue if they would still Special Summon the Tokens even if the monster in the Graveyard was removed from there. Only be reading the Rulings would you know, and that isn't a good way to write. Make you sure write it like that, otherwise, nobody will know how your card is actually suppose to work.

[/spoiler]
[hr]
You can help share this thread with others. Copy this link and share it with everyone:
http://tinyurl.com/OCGThread

You know, I can provide some assistance if you ever need a hand. And tbh, this will be a good resource. Though, I feel the greatest issue people have is with actual phrases (which the WC thread did, yet is now under reconstruction).

I could always use a hand, there's probably a few things here I got wrong, as well as things I could need help with. If you got a Skype, we can chat on there perhaps (my Skype name is Zaziuma btw).

[quote name="gangnam.gyle" post="6196185" timestamp="1368017648"]How do u guys make that picture thing ??[/quote] Picture thing? You have to desribe it better than that. I also am not sure what that has to do with this topic.

Stickied. Also, do me a favor and fix the formatting. Complete center focus is absolutely awful so I can't actually read the damn thing because it confuses me to do so.

I, on the other hand, like it that way. I suppose I can change it back.

Has been done.

If your gonna put what not to write, how about 'banished zone' seeing as its not in the text of any real card but people use it all the time.

TBH, people tend to use that so that others can understand what they are trying to say. That and it is the best way to word that particular phrase imo.

TBH, people tend to use that so that others can understand what they are trying to say. That and it is the best way to word that particular phrase imo.

That doesn't make it any better to use though. It's not extreamly hard to use properly. Anyway, I'll start to collect phrases people typically use and put them up from time to time.

Something I wish readers of this thread would do is to suggest any form of improvements. I do not consider myself the best at teaching or at making things like this, I merely tried to help people, and if nobody is commented on what needs an improvement or if there's things they do not understand, I cannot help them, and I cannot improve it. I encourage that if you're at least somewhat interested in helping out with the thread, that you post.

New section has been added called "SET and PSCT, what to write and not write". You can find it under "SET and PSCT, what to write and not write", along with a few changes here and there to make it look better. On another note, the "Word List, Explanations and Usage" list is halfway done. There's now 39 out of the 78, but there can easily come more. If it's ever going to get finished is hard to say, but hey, someday it will hopefully be done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm so so sorry about not updating this. I cannot blame anybody else than myself. I have been busy with a lot of other stuff, and I have focused on my TCG Protector of the Players instead. I have updated it with some new cool stuff, so check the update list (which is now in a spoiler so it doesn't take up as much space) for the update.

Archived