YuGiOh! Accel: Wings of Darkness [Chapter 109: The Battle Lines, Part Two]

Well definitely an interesting ending. I find the 'Dive! Dive! Dive!' to be somewhat ridiculous, but you can't have a good story without a few cliches. As for the chapter as a whole, I enjoyed it more than I have any other truly. The battle obviously left something more to be desired, but I believe that was intentional seeing as the combatants are apparently very inexperienced. Finally we see a weakness in Skylar, making him somewhat more likable. 

I like these creatures from Erebos that you are bringing in, I imagine they were in the first fic, but regardless they are described well and have an interesting physiology. If there are to be more of these, I will be one happy camper reader. As I said before, I am a fan of mythology, and of course the creatures are the best part in mythology :D. The way these beast-headed warriors are described, I can't help but think of Egyptian mythology and the jackal headed god Anubis.

I am eager to see a duel with these beast-headed monsters. I'm getting a sense that they are intelligent enough to coordinate battle and to duel, but are they as smart as a human? And do they resemble in one sort of creature? 

Looks like we are going to be seeing some major action next chapter(I hope). Can't wait :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite liked this chapter, it gave the series a fair amount of suspense that hadn't been seen to much it the previous chapters. For a second when Skylar's arrow disappeared I thought it was Damien, who is someone I really want to see fight. 

Can't wait for the next chapter. Like Renegade I'm interested to see how these aliens from Erebos play in. One thing I could say though is better description, though it was okay, it left their looks fairly ambiguous. 

Well definitely an interesting ending. I find the 'Dive! Dive! Dive!' to be somewhat ridiculous, but you can't have a good story without a few cliches. As for the chapter as a whole, I enjoyed it more than I have any other truly. The battle obviously left something more to be desired, but I believe that was intentional seeing as the combatants are apparently very inexperienced. Finally we see a weakness in Skylar, making him somewhat more likable. 

I like these creatures from Erebos that you are bringing in, I imagine they were in the first fic, but regardless they are described well and have an interesting physiology. If there are to be more of these, I will be one happy camper reader. As I said before, I am a fan of mythology, and of course the creatures are the best part in mythology :D. The way these beast-headed warriors are described, I can't help but think of Egyptian mythology and the jackal headed god Anubis.

Some of the creatures, such as the laytr, which is a bird/phoenix-like creature, was introduced in the first series.  The vaych are making their first appearance here.  There's no direct mythology to them, really, but as long as people are looking forward to it and find it enjoyable then no complaints here!

I am eager to see a duel with these beast-headed monsters. I'm getting a sense that they are intelligent enough to coordinate battle and to duel, but are they as smart as a human? And do they resemble in one sort of creature? 

Looks like we are going to be seeing some major action next chapter(I hope). Can't wait :D

There's definitely going to be some significant action in the next couple of Chapters, especially more than we've seen thus far.

I quite liked this chapter, it gave the series a fair amount of suspense that hadn't been seen to much it the previous chapters. For a second when Skylar's arrow disappeared I thought it was Damien, who is someone I really want to see fight. 

Can't wait for the next chapter. Like Renegade I'm interested to see how these aliens from Erebos play in. One thing I could say though is better description, though it was okay, it left their looks fairly ambiguous. 

The description was actually done ambiguously on purpose, I believe.  We didn't really want to give too much away

I'm glad everyone liked the Chapter and don't forget, the new one premieres Tuesday!

Honestly, I didn't expect Skylar to be cut down to size so soon. He fired what, two attacks? At that point, he'd run out of energy completely, which I suspect will be something he needs to work on. Andrea seems a little hot-headed, as she's been trying to be the ONLY ONE to pass the test. I'm pretty sure the only full solution was to have everybody work together, but seeing as that didn't happen, Calle deciding to stop the fight was the second best choice.

I am sensing an impending problem, though; Skylar, being the one with the strongest moves of all the trainees, is completely out of firepower, and these guys are under attack. I'm doubting that two weeks from this point is all the time Calle has to prepare these guys, because the Four Star Siege looks like its closing in on the place.

...but...it...is...Wednesday....:'(

Unfortunately, due to the extensive length and detail of the Episode, we decided to wait until Friday to release this one.  We wanted to make sure it was really well done and we both were kind've busy. But it'll be worth the wait!

Unfortunately, due to the extensive length and detail of the Episode, we decided to wait until Friday to release this one.  We wanted to make sure it was really well done and we both were kind've busy. But it'll be worth the wait!

More editing, I presume? 

So we're back after taking a week off.  I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend and I'm glad to say we're right back on track with all of this!  Just a note, this episode is shorter than usual because the next one will be longer than usual, so there's the balance (if that makes any sense).  Looking forward to reader responses!

[spoiler=Episode 6: Backs to the Wall]

Episode 6: Backs to the Wall

Calle tensed up. Something was wrong, they could all feel it. Damien could sense it clearly, the hairs on his arms standing up. Even Skylar seemed uneasy, looking from side to side. There was nothing there, the day seemed as bright and clear as it had just before. Even so, something was different, as if there was some weight on their shoulders trying to drag them down. Their new teacher turned to face the mountain. None of them had seen him pick up the shortsword or even reach for it, and yet he was firmly grasping it now. 
”Something's coming. Be ready.”

With a sound of thunder and shattering glass, the sky above them darkened as a dozen shapes appeared out of nowhere. Monstrous birds, their feathers shifting of brown and blue, and each of them as big as a car. On the back of each beast was another creature, although it looked nothing like anything they had ever seen before; a human with the head of an animal, their mouths open in wide grins. Alistair gasped.
”The birds! They're blotting out the sun!”
Skylar smiled, readying himself for another attack.
”Then we'll have to fight in the shade.”

To their surprise, Calle shook his head.
”You're no match for them now, there's too many. They'll overwhelm you and kill you before you have a chance to attack.”
”You want us to just sit here and die, then? Is that it?!”
It was Andrea who had spoken, her face flushed with anger. Again, Calle shook his head.
”Get inside. Find Beatrice. Together, you can–”

That was when the dragon swooped down. They only saw it for half a second before it disappeared, but the image etched itself onto their eyes and would not let go. The slender creature opened its wide jaws, impossibly wide it seemed, and snapped shut around Calle. Even Skylar's mouth fell open as the dragon took off, their new teacher trapped within its mouth, but only for half a second. He noticed the new threat right before the others, the man who had jumped off the dragon's back just as it swept down.

He was a giant of man, seven feet tall if not more. His long, black cloak gave little away of his features, other than his face. His head was shaved and his face free of wrinkles, his eyes a pair of deep-set pits of blue. A scar ran across his left eye down along the side of his cheek, and Skylar thought he could see stitches on his neck, just where the hood ended. This man was a formidable enemy, a true challenge. Finally something on my level.

”Seishin kyota.”
The arrow materialized itself in his hand, which had started to shiver. My power is too great for my body to handle, he thought to himself. Let's see how it fares against you, stranger. With a crackle of thunder, he released the arrow straight at his new opponent, coming straight towards him at a speed of several hundred miles per hour. Skylar could see it already; the arrow would send him flying, onto the arena or even into the ocean below. Every bone in his body would shatter, crippling him. They would see that he was a force to fear, much stronger than any of them.

Just before the arrow hit, the black-cloaked man smiled. 
”You're going to have to do better than that, child.”
And just like that, the arrow was gone, as if it had never existed. No explosion, no breaking, nothing at all. As the others finally caught up, Skylar could only stare in disbelief. Gone. Somewhere, seemingly from far away, he heard Alistair shout.
”We have to get inside! Get away!”
Skylar felt his arm tug at him, and simply followed. Powerful man.

Terrance watched the children flee back into the facility. They could lead him to the woman no doubt, but it was imperative that he reached her first. The aelithis had most likely finished off their teacher by now, which gave them an even greater advantage. He turned to face the vaych, which had landed on the grass behind him.

The brightest of the group – which was not much of an accomplishment, but they served their purpose – had been outfitted with duel disks and proper decks. They had a special task, one he dared not trust with the mere footsoldiers. He summoned them to his side, and they stood at attention.
”Listen now, vaych. I will take care of the woman who rules this place. The four of you will bring me her disciples – alive. Unharmed, if you can.”
One of them, the wolf-head he had spoken to on the cliff, grunted. They had hoped for a fight, Terrance could see that.
”Once you have the children, return them to me. As for the rest of this place...”
He smiled.
”Burn it to the ground.”

---

The vaych were disgusting, slimy creatures with faces more disfigured than something out of a horror movie.  There were dozens of them, some smaller than others, and a select few much larger than the rest.  Some of them stood on the soil, while others sat atop some kind of griffin, a winged creature dark blue in color with razor sharp fangs and a tattered wingspan.  Somehow, they got the impression that the look was not them being ‘roughed up’ – it was their nature.  The beast men stood in unison, awaiting commands from the larger ones that were spread throughout the army.

With stained yellow teeth and many of them wielding clubs, they looked back and forth at one another, grumbling words in what sounded like another language.  Whatever it was, it sure as hell wasn’t anything they could understand.  The few, presumably Captains, stood out from the others with gold-plated headgear on their foreheads.  Marked with a weird symbol, their bright, royal appearance signified their power over the lesser soldiers.  And to make matters even more surreal, the Captains were armed with duel disks.  All four of them.

“Uhhh, guys...I’m not really diggin’ the looks of things,” Alistair said, the four of them standing side by side, the army rapidly approaching.

“They’re hideous!” Andrea shrieked.  “What’s the point of standing around?! Let’s attack them before they attack us!” She tried to kick off the dirt, but Skylar grabbed her arm and held her back.  What the?

“The point in standing around is trying not to get ourselves killed,” he snapped.  “Your recklessness is going to get us all killed, so just stay put.  We have no idea what we’re up against here.  I don’t know what these things are.” They were human in figure, but their faces, at least what he could make out of them, resembled some kind of wolf.  They’re not from this world; that much is certain.

Damien was the next to speak.  “We’re outnumbered at least ten to one, if not more.  There’s no ‘reasonable’ battle tactic,” he said.  “There are two options.  Either we try to fight them and risk getting ourselves totally annihilated, or we get the hell out of here.”

“Well it doesn’t look like they’re about to give us the chance to decide!” Alistair shouted as the Captains mumbled words, ordering the vaych back into battle.

Skylar stepped forward.  There was no sense in retreating.  The technique may not have worked against the human, but these creatures were nothing more than incompetent beasts.  The others looked at him like deer in headlights.  What was he thinking? “I’ll take them out.” He pressed his palm outwards, extending his right thumb and index finger. “Seishin kyota.

He could feel the Rakurai flowing throughout his body.  He closed his eyes tight, channeling it, drawing it to the surface.  Pinpoint precision...

Until his whole body shook at once, like some kind of shocking pain inside of him.  He lost his stance entirely, dropping to one knee and reaching for his abdomen, where the majority of the pain had stung.  It’s this pain...again! Only this time it’s...much worse. 

The others turned to face him.  They hadn’t exactly felt sorry for his pain, but in this particular situation, he was their best hope.  And he’d collapsed just like that.

“You alright mate?!” Alistair asked, the beasts getting closer by the second.

“I...don’t know what’s wrong with me!” He exclaimed as the vaych continued their advances.  The four of them, they were becoming surrounded.

The facility split off into two branches – one leading towards the main headquarters and Beatrice’s chambers, while the other lead to the weapon and training halls.  The only way they’d stand a chance would be to lure the enemy into two different directions.  All at once, they’d be crushed in no time.  Damien stepped up.

“We have to move, now!” He said, grabbing his sister’s arm.  She wanted to push him away, but in this situation there wasn’t much else to do, much to her chagrin.  “Alistair, get Skylar and move! We have to split up their forces!”

There wasn’t time to think on the idea; in a flash, he grabbed the boy’s arm and hoisted him up onto his shoulder, taking off down the hallway.  Skylar, too weak to resist, cursed himself for being unable to defend them.  It was pathetic.

Following close behind, the vaych and their captains split off into equal groups, with two captains leading each unit.  They could not allow the humans to escape; Terrance wanted them alive, and failure to meet his jurisdiction would be most unpleasant.

Again I couldn’t maintain my power.  What is it, why am I all of a sudden so weak?  Skylar asked himself, continuing to run at a steady pace.  Alistair had put him down after they’d ducked around a corner, at least delaying the inevitable battle.  He was breathing heavy, fighting through the pain in his chest, having had the wind knocked out of him.  The Rakurai is there, I can feel it...but my body isn’t strong enough.  I don’t get it!

---

They were surrounded.  The vaych had, under the orders of their Captains, formed a circle around them.  While they had been able to maintain a good distance for a while, Skylar’s injuries made it hard for him to keep moving at maximum speeds.  Eventually, he had to slow down or risk further damage.  And like the savage beasts they were, the creatures had surrounded them with no hesitation.

But rather than pounce in for the kill, the lesser soldiers had cleared the way for their two Captains to step through.  Much larger than the others, they had pressed the button to activate their respective duel disks, suggesting with a mess of jumbled noises that they intended to duel.  In the panic, Skylar hadn’t even taken the time to consider that an option, but now with his injuries as intense as they were, it might have been the only way he could stand a chance.

Alistair was trying to keep his cool, but underneath it all they were just kids, and this was all so new.  As the vaych continued to step forward, he and Skylar found themselves back to back.

“You may not like the sound of it, mate,” Alistair said, panic-yet-determination in his voice.  “But unless we can remain on the same page here, we’re about to become dinner for a bunch of cave trolls.”

“Just stay out of my way,” he said, both of them activating their duel disks at once.

Alistair grinned as his duel disk activated, emitting a burst of light that caused the vaych to shield their eyes as his nearly untapped Rakurai surrounded him.  Skylar’s did the same, but to a much lesser extent, as he was able to maintain a slightly better grip on the energy around him.

In my first duel, the one with Andrea, I gave it my all, but I couldn’t fight at full power, and neither did she.  Alistair thought to himself.  But this time around, these things aren’t here to play a friendly game.  So it’s time to show them what Alistair Maelstrom is all about!

To be continued...[/spoiler]

DO NOT READ until you've read the chapter, because it contains spoilers. My entire review is directed to specific aspects and plot twists. So don't read until you've seen the chapter (that's happened to me before: I accidentally see a review before I read the chapter, and BOOM. I know that Sora's about to die [reference to first series])

It's always good to see a plot thickening. In this case, their leader got killed off/eaten/captured by the enemy, leaving these four rookies on their own on an island under attack. So all they have are the Beatrice person and themselves. It's looking good.

Of course, the enemies are always going to have duel disks. Because using guns wouldn't be easier (or tranquilizers, if they want these kids alive). I'm hoping there's some reason the villains would rather duel, where there's some chance of loss, than fight, where they're pretty much guaranteed a win.

The main plight of any yugioh related fic, is coming up with an idea for why the enemy would rather duel than shoot( or as objects said, tranquilize) so I am hoping that you covered that base, because that is the biggest thing in the story that you need to cover at the moment. I liked this last chapter, although obviously it was going to be used as just a setup for the next one. I am eager to see the duel next chapter, and hoping that Damien will get some action time soon enough. 

Alright, so one very good thing I noticed right of the bat, was that you had a lot more imagery than usually in here, so it helped create a setting much better. I don't really have any complaints about the chapter, and would rather review it with the next chapter, to see how well it flows, which so far is fine, though it might be a bit rushed.

Good plot twist with Calle (?)dying(?), and it leaves the kids alone. I also liked the description that allowed us to get inside Skylar's head, his weakness makes him seem more like a person, and less like a perfect robot. 

New episode! We're trying to get these done at a more consistent pace, but quality > quantity every day of the week.  Either way, I like this one! New episode Friday!

[spoiler=Episode 7: Out of the Frying Pan]

Episode 7: Out of the Frying Pan

Damien had always been able to find his way through the facility complex. Not only were there maps placed near the staircases and entrances, but each building followed a very consistent pattern that only took him a few weeks to memorize entirely. Sometimes, when he was not too busy with assignments from Beatrice and other tests, he would spend days just walking about the facility. He would visualize the complex in his head, pick a spot somewhere else and try to find the shortest way there.

Over the months that had gone by since then, he had been given ample opportunity to practice this skill, but he had always given himself enough time to find the way. Now, he was practically hurling himself down the hallways and corridors, with Andrea just ahead of him. She had always been the quick one, his sister, and she was in significantly better shape than him. The wall at the end of the corridor was of reinforced glass, showing the bay beneath. The path split in two here, going left and right.

He stopped to take a breath. Those... things weren't far behind, but he couldn't run for much longer. Outside and far, far above, he thought he could see a silvery shape in the skies, shaking from to side to side. Seems like there's more to the man than you'd think. At the split, just ahead of him, Andrea had stopped as well. She spun around, and from the look in her eyes, she was not pleased. She grabbed him by the collar. ”What do you think you're doing?! We have to keep moving! Those monsters could be here any moment!” Breathing deeply, he could only shake his head. ”I can't... I can't run. I'm too tired.” She let him go, and started to pace back and forth. ”It's always going to be like this with you, isn't it? You could never take of yourself. I had to save you, again and again.” She paused. ”You couldn't save anyone.”

Damien sighed. ”What do you want me to do, sister? Do you want me to apologize again? Do you want me to feel even sorrier than I already do? It isn't going... going to make anything better. I can't undo what happened.”

She shook her head. ”No, no you can't. You had your chance, and you threw it away.”

There was a crash somewhere behind them. They twitched, almost in unison, and turned around. The hallway was filling up with smoke and ash, enough to fog up the path, and something emerged. It was one of the beastmen, though this one was a cut above the rest in terms of how utterly horrible it looked. At some point it might have had the head of a rat, a particularly foul beast in itself, but something had warped the creature even further. The left side of its face and neck, going as far down as the shoulder, was writhing and vibrating with every step it took, as if it had a life of its own. A duel disk was strapped to its arm, looking completely out of place. As it laid its eyes on Andrea and Damien, it smiled. ”There you are, little children. Lord Terrance wants a word with you.” Its voice was quivering and breaking, like the sound of an old oak in a storm, weighing from side to side.

Andrea froze, and looked at Damien.

”What do we do now, brother? What's the next step of your master plan?” He nodded ahead, and got off the wall. ”We're going left.”

The ratman – or Vancer, as he called himself – watched as the children fled ahead. He knew they were gaining on him with every second he waited, but he enjoyed it that way. Lord Terrance had said to bring the children to him alive, but he didn't say when. Vancer enjoyed a good hunt just as much as anyone else, perhaps even more, and these children would make the perfect prey. Turning on the strange machinery Lord Terrance had given him, the card-blade he had strapped to his lower arm, he took off.

---

His power level is exponentially greater than mine, but he has no control over it.  How is this even remotely possible?  I can barely keep my own power contained with the amounts of energy he’s releasing!  Skylar forced himself to stand, battling through the pain as he and Alistair stood back to back, facing their respective enemies.  The vaych Captains had lowered their hoods, revealing grizzly faces, with greenish yellow eyes that very closely resembled that of a wolf.  While both of them had similar markings, Alistair’s opponent has a slight blue mark on his helmet, whereas the other’s was red.  It was really their only distinguishing factor.

“Let us begin, the time for talk is over, we must carry out our mission!” The blue-emblazoned Captain, introducing himself as Olgarth, took the initiative, drawing a card rather roughly with his rough, beast-like hands. 

Well, that answers the question about whether or not they’re capable of speaking English.  Alistair noted.  Aye, doesn’t make them any less repulsive though.

“I am Olgarth, elite vaych Captain and superior commander in battle,” he said.  “A name you shall never forget, as long as you live.  This, if it were up to me would have already been over with.  However,” he rolled his eyes.  “The orders that have been bestowed upon us involve draining you of your power and bringing you back to our Master in one piece.  Consider yourselves lucky.”

“But...the humans would make such a tasty meal!” The other Captain, Aligarth, chimed in.  His personality was far more vile, and he did not like the thought of letting such delicious pray escape.  “I say we eat them, who cares what the Master says!”

“Aligarth, get yourself in check,” Olgarth responded with an aggressive tone.  The second vaych was quick to get himself under control.  “You see, Aligarth like the rest of the vaych, does not care much for morality.  However, the rewards for our mission are quite great, and therefore we shall do what we’re asked, despite the fact that it may not be our normal way.”

Who would’ve thought the giant beastman would be the voice of reason?  Alistair joked to himself, but underneath he was worried.  Itching to duel, but at the same time fearful of these savage creatures.  It didn’t take a genius to understand that given the order, they would be killed in moments. 

He looked back at Skylar, who didn’t turn his head; simply kept it focused on the vile, nearly uncontrollable being standing across from him.

“Thanks mate for the explanation, but I’m not sure what else there is to say,” Alistair said.  “So let’s get our duel on! Ha!” He drew a card from his Deck, smiling as he revealed it. “Just what I’m talkin’ about to kick things off! The monster I drew was Mayhem Beast Pyro-Lance (1400), and when I draw this here guy, I can send him straight to the Graveyard in order to draw another card!”

Olgarth, the less barbaric of the two, kept his eyes on his opponent, analyzing and assessing his movements.  Even though they were far superior, there was no doubting the human’s exponentially untapped power.

“We don’t have the time to stand around and play games, so I’m gonna make this duel short and sweet!  Since there’s no monsters out on my field, I can Special Summon Mayhem Beast – Bolt Tiger (1700)!”  In a flash of static, the white and silver saber tooth tiger sprawled out onto the field, standing on all fours, ready to tear into the enemy.

[spoiler=Mayhem Beast Pyro-Lance]

LV4/FIRE

Beast / Effect

If you draw this card: Send it to the Graveyard and draw 1 card.  When a “Mayhem Beast” monster you control is destroyed: You can Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard).  If you do: Banish it when it leaves the field.  You can only control 1 “Mayhem Beast” Pyro-Lance.  This card cannot be used for an Xyz Summon, except for the Xyz Summon of a “Mayhem Beast” monster.  If you control a “Mayhem Beast” monster other than this card: This card gains 800 ATK.

1400/1100[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Mayhem Beast Bolt-Tiger]

LV4/LIGHT

Beast / Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand).  While you control a “Mayhem Beast” monster, you cannot Summon or Set a monster(s), except a “Mayhem Beast” monster(s).  Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 “Mayhem Beast” monster to target 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy that target.  If you Normal Summoned a monster(s) this turn, you cannot activate this effect.

1700/1000[/spoiler]

“Next, from my hand, I’ll equip Bolt-Tiger with the monster card Mech Blaster – Delta (400)!” The tiger roared with energy as a small photon cannon materialized atop its right shoulder, glistening in the brightness of the sun.  “And thanks to this here weapons upgrade, Bolt-Tiger gains a whopping four-hundred attack points!”

[spoiler=Mech Blaster – Delta]

LV2/EARTH

Machine / Effect

You can equip this card (from your hand) to a “Mayhem Beast” monster you control.  A monster equipped with this card gains 400 ATK.  If the equipped monster destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: Inflict 800 damage to your opponent.  If the equipped monster would be destroyed, you can destroy this card instead.

400/100[/spoiler]

(Bolt Tiger = 1700 + 400 = 2100)

“I think one face-down card should do it for now,” he said, placing the card in his duel disk so that a vertical hologram of the card back appeared in front of him.  He wasn’t intimidated by Olgarth, but there was no doubt in his mind that this was going to be an all-out brawl of a duel, and one they couldn’t afford to lose.

“Draw,” he said, his furry hands grasping the card and whisking it into his hand.  “You see, there are two kinds of vaych Duelists.  There are those who, much like our nature, play the game of duel monsters with zero sense of skill, with brute force and power to run down the opponent with pure strength alone.” He explained.  “And then there are those of us who put aside our rambunctious nature and focus on methodically picking apart our opponent with strategy.  Very much comparable to a hunter who stalks and sizes up his prey before jumping on it.  We are beasts by nature, but that does not mean we lack intelligence.”

You could say that about this guy, maybe. Alistair thought.  He turned to Aligarth.  But I’m not so sure about his friend over there.

“As I’m sure goes without saying, Aligarth is not one of those vaych.  Admittedly, I’m surprised he can even maintain the mental composure to understand the game, never mind anything further.  Your friend here is a skill-based duelist, whereas you are not.  Therefore it only makes sense that you’re both paired up against opponents with contrasting styles.”  Both Alistair and Skylar turned to face one another momentarily.  “You shall fall to me because you will lack the skill necessary to outplay my devastating styles.”

“Well, the way I see it then, we’ve got two choices,” Alistair said, grinning.  “Either you can keep tellin’ me about how I stand no chance, or you can let your dueling do the talkin’.”

“Very well,” Olgarth replied, staring a hole through Alistair.  He was quite unpleased with the interruption, but perhaps it was best.  They shouldn’t keep Lord Terrance waiting any longer. “Then I’ll begin.  And I’ll do so by activating Force of the Stone Talisman.”

At his feet appeared a round stone, carved with the markings of an ancient Japanese symbol.  There was nothing particularly special about it, though the symbol appeared to represent that of a dark being.

[spoiler=Force of the Stone Talisman]

Continuous Spell Card

Once per turn, during your opponent’s Standby Phase, your opponent must select 1 card from your hand at random and send it to the Graveyard.  Card(s) sent to the Graveyard this way are treated as being sent to the Graveyard by your opponent’s card effect.[/spoiler]

“As long as this magic card is in play, the power of the Stone Talisman forces you to send a card from my hand to the Graveyard, once during each of your turns,” he said, drawing a perplexed look from Alistair.  Why would he want to throw away his own cards?  “The confusion on your face does not surprise me – in fact I welcome it.  It’s exactly what I expected.  For now, I’ll allow it to remain.  I set one card and end my turn.” He smiled a beastly smile.  “This is where things get interesting.”

---

On the flip side, Skylar had no desire to listen to his opponent ramble, and with his vicious nature, his opponent had no desire to ramble either.  They were getting straight to the action, with Aligarth barely able to contain himself from charging at the human and tearing him to pieces.

“Why don’t you do the honors?” Skylar beckoned.  “And I’d rather we keep the speech to a minimum.”

“Begin I shall, hehe!” He drew, licking his lips in the process.  What a tasty meal his opponent would make.  “I may be unable to dig into you, but my creature has no such restrictions! And as such, I summon Giant Orc (2200) in attack mode!” The pale grey and muscle-bound orc materialized on the field, wielding a large club carved from the hardest of bone.  It looked just as remorseless, if not more so, than Aligarth himself.  “Next, I’ll set one card down.”

“And I take it that means you’re done, so I’ll draw!” Skylar declared.  He wasn’t about to stand around and play a friendly game.  Go for the kill from the start – that was the plan.  He hated the thought of having to work with Alistair or any of the others, but truthfully, if it wasn’t for Alistair he wouldn’t be alive right now.  This was a moral obligation he had to get out of the way.  “Now, let’s do this! I’m about to turn your orc into an ancient relic! Rise White Knight Lancer (1700)!”

Clad in a celestial white and golden armor, the lance-wielding warrior settled onto the field, showing might despite facing a stronger opponent.  “On his own, White Knight Lancer may not have the strength to take down your oversized cave troll, but that all changes when I activate the Spell Card White Glow!”

An aura of white energy circulated the warrior, increasing in intensity as it did so.  “Thanks to my spell, White Knight Lancer gains eight-hundred attack points!”

(White Knight Lancer = 1700 + 800 = 2500)

[spoiler=White Night Lancer]

LV3/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

If you control another “White Knight” monster: This card inflicts piercing Battle Damage.  When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 “White Knight” monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position.  Its DEF becomes 0.

1700/1600[/spoiler]

[spoiler=White Glow]

Normal Spell Card

Target 1 “White Knight” monster you control; it gains 800 ATK.  During the turn this card is activated, the targeted monster cannot be targeted by the effect(s) of Trap Cards your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

“Go, White Knight Lancer, take out his Giant Orc with Slipstream Piercer!” Empowered with its new energy, the lancer rocketed across the field, driving its spear right into the orc’s mid-section.  With a shrieking shriek, the creature was no more.

4000 | 3600

The attack extended to Aligarth himself, too, noticeably shaken by its power.  But the beast thrived off that, the feeling of blood being drawn meant the fight was just getting started.  “Wonderful, this feeling! The prey believes it stands a chance!”

“Heh,” Skylar quipped, placing two cards face-down.  “Stands a chance doesn’t even begin to describe it.  You’d be lucky to last another turn.”

---

Aye, Skylar’s off to a pretty solid start.  Of course, if what this guy says is true, that orc was only the beginning of the power cards in his Deck. Alistair was confident in their chances, but at the same time, he hadn’t stopped to think about the pairings until now.  If they had purposely been set up this way, did that mean their opponents’ Decks would perfectly counter their own?

It didn’t matter now.  He couldn’t afford to dwell on it.  “My draw! Ha!” He exclaimed.

“Indeed it is, but first things first, let’s not forget the effect of my Force of the Stone Talisman,” Olgarth interrupted, holding out the cards in his hand so that Alistair could choose one of them to send to the Graveyard.  “Choose wisely.”

There’s definitely a method to his madness, Alistair struggled to decide.  There were three cards in the beastman’s hand, and if he wanted them in the Graveyard, that meant the odds were in Olgarth’s favor.  His hands were shaky.  They couldn’t afford to waste time.  Damien and Andrea had been chased off by these…things too.  And Damien wasn’t the best duelist, which was an undeniable fact.  Plus, that dragon thing had run off with Calle...If Skylar and I can manage to put our differences aside long enough to rescue the others, I say we’ve got a bloody good chance at doin’ this.  “Alright then mate, I’ll choose! The center card!”

Olgarth replied with a smile.  “What an excellent decision,” he said, smirking as he placed the card into the Graveyard. “All I needed was for you to choose that one card, and now you’ve opened the path for the rest of my moves to proceed.” He laughed.  How easy it had been.  There was a reason Lord Terrance had hired him, placing him above the other captains, his superior intellect was a rare quality in the vaych ensemble.  “Because now this duel – and life as you know it – is about to take a turn for the worse.”

---

---

The calm darkness of the Erebos night sky brought forth a relaxing Zen.  All was quiet as the blue-haired man stared out the window, his hands pressed against the glass, his eyes scanning back and forth across the premises without making a sound.  It was beautiful, the eerie darkness.  Everything felt so empty, yet so full of darkness at the same time.  Not knowing what lie ahead in the dark abyss brought and almost cheery sense of enthusiasm along with it.  The abyss was the enemy, in a metaphorical sense at least, and the most skilled of enemies knew best never to let their secrets be revealed until the time was right.  They were skilled masters of illusion, only letting out bits and pieces to keep the enemies going, while still maintaining a firm grip on their overall ideals.

He had been deep in this thought, only becoming distracted when the door creaked open behind him.  Of course, the girl had chosen now to come in and interrupt his blissful calm.  So typical; there was no way to catch just a moment of peace around here.  Things were running smoothly back on Earth, it was clear Terrance had a firm hand on the situation.  So it was best now to just sit and let things unfold.  What on Earth could she possibly need to bother him with?

“Funny, I was just beginning to think it was too relaxing around here,” came the conniving response.  The girl blew him off, walking forward and standing next to him at the window.  She was careful not to look at him directly, but to at the same time move her face enough that she’d gather his attention.  “Tell me, what ever can I do for you? Since I’m going to wager a guess that you didn’t come to visit because you missed me.”

“Always such a pleasant company,” she replied mockingly, brushing her bangs out of her face.  “Staring out the window again, are you?”  He’s so strange.  It’s like no matter what you say to him, you can’t break his stance.  “Anyway, I came here because-”

“Quiet,” he interrupted, fixated on the scene outside.  “You’re about to miss the good part.”

Huh? She wondered, turning back to face the window.  What was he getting all excited about?

The talchir, with its golden brown fur and canine-like composition, had become disgruntled as it searched the grounds for his prey, the same creature it had been hunting moments earlier.  The closest thing to a feline Erebos could boast, the talchir was a bloodthirsty hunter, inhabiting the various forests that spanned the world’s platform, hunting anything and everything it could get its hands on.  That included humans.  It would show no hesitation to tear even a spirit to shreds, absolutely vile in nature.

Yet the laoer it had been hunting, a small green lizard with the ability to blend into nearby scenery simply by touching it, had done its best to scurry from hiding place to hiding place, unable to truly conceal its scent despite being able to cloak itself almost completely.  It could sense the talchir growing tired, angered with the cat-and-mouse chase it had been dragged upon.  But the laoer itself was not entirely defenseless, either.  Small in size, it was a common prey for the hunters around these areas. 

And so in order to protect itself, its claws were lined with a poisonous venom exclusive to Erebos, a deadly poison to which there was no known cure.  It would take but one drop to infiltrate the bloodstream and render the body useless.  It would then take only seconds after that to end the attacker’s life.  The talchir continued to search the grounds, with the man keeping his eyes fixated on the marvelous scene. 

Even watching from the window far away and safe from harm, he could see the laoer clearly, despite its disguise.  Once it struck, he found himself giddy with delight.  Latching onto a nearby plant and ripping it from the dirt, the talchir grimaced; still it could not find what it was searching for.  But as it thrust the plant aside, the laoer struck, driving its claws into its predator’s neck, killing it almost instantly.  It was a vicious scene, but creepy at the same time as there was no way to see it clearly, to see how it had played out. 

The girl didn’t know what to say, but she could sense the amusement in the man’s eyes.

“It’s magnificent, isn’t it?” He asked.  “The masterful art of illusion.  It is all around us, in every capacity, but only when it is truly mastered can it be put to use so effectively.  Amazing how such a small creature that no one sees as a threat can kill one of the most dangerous creatures known to exist with nothing more than a scratch.”  He smiled a strangely-friendly smile.  “No one suspects the laoer to be a threat, therefore they pay no attention to it, while it is the one in control the entire time.”  The man giggled.  “And when it strikes, it’s far too late for anyone to see it coming.”

Finally got around to do some reading. Loved the chapter. Slightly disappointed that Damien hasn't had his time to shine as a warrior yet, but I am sure it will come in due time. The duels going have just started, so there really isn't much to judge them by. However, I am assuming that the meticulous beastmancreaturething, is using Dark Worlds...or a custom archetype. 

The last scene is interesting indeed, and loved the symbolism behind it. Definitely eager to see more of that. 

<p>Sorry for not commenting recently.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I've been reading, I've just been in my exam period, so I've not been able to post a lot here at least.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Anyhow the latest chapter:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>[spoiler='Stuff']Hmm... the opposing characters seem interesting. I mean, you've got pure flat Aggro, which I'm worried will turn out a bit boring frankly. I mean, he uses Giant Orc xD The other one I get the feeling that it would've worked better if the card let him choose what gets discarded. Simply because then his stratagy would seen a tad less luck based, which may make it all feel a bit flat. (Despite not knowing it yet)<br />
<br />
I disagree though with the classing you gave Skylar and Alistair. Even if there characterization fits that, White Knights are a really aggro based deck from what little they had, which means unless you changed how they worked drastically, it doesn't work well for me. I'd prefer Damien to have gone there even if it's just from the deck standpoint. Plus, I get the feeling that would've been a great test for him as a character. Plus seperating out the brother and Sister might have worked a bit better in terms of Character development for me. Because well... you know how Brothers are Sisters are meant to act, so unless the relationship is different, it's not going to really show much we couldn't expect, where as with someone like Skylar, you could have him trying to get over what Skylar thought of him (You might be doing this latter in the story, and it might be a bit early for it I'd admit, but it feels a bit more interesting to me)<br />
<br />
I did love the hunting scene at the end though. It was really cool, and really well written.[/spoiler]</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Just a thought, have you guys thought about writing two or three chapters ahead? So you can get things out regularly if you wanted that.</p>

If we had the time to write ahead, we would, and there probably will be a fair bit of that during the summer. I'm still caught up with finals until the end of next week, and will probably be doing things with the family and such after that,  but we will definitely try our best to get the chapters out at a more rapid pace in the future.

If we had the time to write ahead, we would, and there probably will be a fair bit of that during the summer. I'm still caught up with finals until the end of next week, and will probably be doing things with the family and such after that,  but we will definitely try our best to get the chapters out at a more rapid pace in the future.

Fair enough. I get that completely (Just finished my exams this week, so had to put other stuff on hold for that)

Well, as Neo himself said, Quality over Quanitity everytime. There's no rush.

Umbra answered the question already, but like I said now that we're both getting into Summer, we'll hopefully have more time to get things planned out and moving along smoothly.  Despite the fact that we do plan things out in advance, my best writing (like the ending scene of 7) comes like a 'spur of the moment' thing and sometimes the best work I do creatively is on the fly.

That being said, there was a reason that we chose the pairings we did - with Skylar/Alistair and Damien/Andrea respectively.  It's a rather relevant plot point, so I won't give it away, but just continue reading and it'll make sense; at least I hope, because it's a really cool part of the story.  One of the things I like about this more than the first series (although there are plenty of things about the first that I enjoyed too) is how well everything is connected throughout the story arcs, while also being completely different at the same time.

We'll definitely see some more action scenes after the Introduction Arc wraps up, as well as take some time away from Four Star Siege to focus on some other plot aspects.  Either way, I appreciate you guys taking the time to comment and I'm looking forward to seeing more feedback! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been quite a while, but finally, we've got a new episode.  Now that we've got things sorted out, Episodes should be released on a more regular basis, with the next one premiering on Sunday.

[spoiler=Episode 8: The Resolve of a Fr--Comrade?!]

Episode 8: The Resolve of a Fr--Comrade?!

“And lucky for me, you’ve chosen just the card I needed you to in order to begin your annihilation,” Olgarth replied, placing the card Alistair had selected into the Graveyard.  “For you see, this card is my Minoan Bullhammer.  And his strongest peak is while he’s resting in the Grave.”

Minoan Bullhammer? Never heard of it before.  But if it's any bit like the wildebeasts we got back home, I'll take it down no problem! Alistair grinned, adjusting the tip of his hat.  "Sorry to say mate, but it'll take more than that to intimidate me."

"Ah, such a positive outlook," he replied.  "Just as I'd hoped.  Since I can't outright kill you, crushing your hopes will make this victory all the more satisfying."

Alistair gritted his teeth.  "Tell me then, what makes this bull of yours such a big deal?  I reckon since it's in the Graveyard already there's not much it can do to harm me."

"That's where you're wrong," said Olgarth with a smile.  "You see, Minoan Bullhammer works perfectly in unison with my Force of the Stone Talisman relic.   During each of your turns, you have to send a card in my hand to the Graveyard.  And as long as Bullhammer resides in the Graveyard, each time you force me to discard a card, I get to draw a brand new one."

I suppose that's an irritance, but I don't see how it's much of a problem. He reasoned with himself.  At best, he's just keeping his hand refreshed.  No sweat.  "Well alright then, go ahead and draw, because now it's my turn to kick up the intensity!"  His monster roared with fury, anxiously awaiting the chance to attack the enemy.

[spoiler=Minoan Bullhammer]

LV4/EARTH

Beast / Effect

While this card is in your Graveyard: If a card(s) is sent from your hand to the Graveyard by the effect of an opponent's card; draw 1 card for each card sent this way.

1650/1000[/spoiler]

"You made the mistake of leaving yourself wide open, so I don't even have to summon another monster, I can simply attack!  Go, Bolt Tiger, strike his Life Points directly with Static Blaster!" Leaping into the air, the mechanical feline fired a blast of lightning from the cannon on its back, striking Olgarth directly.  The beastman's fur ruffled, but he showed no signs of concern.

1900 | 4000

In fact, once the smoke cleared, he simply laughed, his gritted yellow teeth a disparaging sight.  "So much energy in you, I must admit it's remarkable to see a human be able to maintain such a high power level," he said.  Even if you're unable to control it. "But alas, it won't matter.  I took that attack willingly, so I'd be able to activate my Trap Card, Magnetic Stone Relic!"

[spoiler=Magnetic Stone Relic]

Normal Trap Card

Activate only after taking Battle Damage from an opponent's monster.  Your opponent selects 1 card from your hand and sends it to the Graveyard at random.  This is treated as being sent to the Graveyard by an opponent's card effect.  Then, if it was a monster card, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the monster's Level x 200.[/spoiler]

As the small sliver of magnetic material rose up from the dirt, charged bits of electricity began to surround it, and Olgarth's hand at the same time.  "Now my Trap's effect kicks in, forcing you to choose another card at random from my hand and send it to the Graveyard," confidence in his voice, Olgarth held his hand out proudly.  "But beware, if the card you choose is a monster card, there are some dire consequences."

Another one?  I'm startin' to get the feeling his whole Deck is focused on forcing me to make some less than awesome choices. Alistair held steady.  There were two cards in Olgarth's hand currently, meaning one of them had to be a monster.  It was likely the other wasn't, which means he had a fifty percent chance.  Even then, he had wanted Minoan Bullhammer to hit the Graveyard, so it was possible that no matter which choice he made, the outcome would be less than positive.

"Go on then, make your choice.  Left or right."

He'd have no choice but to wing it.  "I'll take the one on the left!"  He said, as Olgarth happily placed it into the Graveyard.  Doing so, the magnetic stone remained on the field, as a large red statue, carved in the shape of an elephant rose from the dirt next to it.

"An excellent choice once again," he said sharply. Depicted in ancient Egyptian garments, with a flick of Olgarth's hand, the statue came to life, waving its trunk back and forth in the air as it doubled in size, charging straight at Alistair.  Helpless, the boy was knocked off his feet and sent plummeting into the ground.  All of the pain hit him at once, but he knew it wasn't over yet.

1900 | 2000

"How I love seeing you worthless humans riving in pain," Olgarth chuckled.  "You see, the card you chose was my Elephant Statue of Disaster.  While normally a calm, ancient relic just like the others, when you send him to the Graveyard, he comes to life, and strikes you for two-thousand points of damage!" The beastman laughed uproariously.  "But that's not the worst of it, don't forget Magnetic Stone Relic's second effect! Since you sent a monster card from my hand to the Graveyard, you take damage equal to its Level times two hundred points!"

The slowly-charging static released, striking an already grounded Alistair as he cried out in pain.  Skylar turned around to look at him, rolling his eyes.  Pathetic.

1900 | 1200

"He..." Alistair forced himself to stand, using his knees as a balancer.  "He took out nearly all of my Life Points in one turn, and it was because of my choices that it happened." Damn. The pain was real, every ounce of it.  He could feel the bruises and energy draining from his body with each passing second; taking all of it at once definitely didn't help matters.

"Now do you understand what I meant when I said these pairings were done on purpose?" Olgarth asked, drawing a card from his Deck as the effect of Minoan Bullhammer came into play.  This was too easy.  The boy relied too much on power plays to take the time to think about what might lie ahead.  At this point, Lord Terrance would no doubt be making the finishing moves.  And in just one turn, he himself would bring this duel to a close.

And surely Aligarth would follow suit.

---

I'm sure he's gonna fire off on all cylinders, but I'm ready for it. Skylar held strong, with just two cards in his hand compared to Aligarth's five.  But it didn't matter; this guy was all power play.  White Knights surely took some skill to play, but if he was looking for a power versus power collision, that's what he would get.

"My my, what a strong duelist you are," Aligarth replied excitedly.  "No matter, because it's my turn again, and I plan to dig into to you! Reveal Trap Card, Bone Break!" Depicting an ancient fossil, the beastman's Trap Card revealed itself, a circular portal opening at his feet.  "With this, I can banish a monster from my Graveyard in order to Special Summon a different monster straight from my Deck! So I'll rid the Grave of Giant Orc, in order to call forth Bone Crusher (1600)!"

[spoiler=Bone Break]

Normal Trap Card

Banish 1 Level 4 or lower Fiend-Type monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Level 4 Fiend or Zombie-Type monster from your Deck with a DEF less than or equal to the ATK of the banished monster.  You can only activate 1 "Bone Break" per turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bone Crusher]

LV4/EARTH

Zombie / Effect

When this card is Special Summoned: Target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy that target.  During the End Phase of the turn this card was Special Summoned: destroy it.

1600/200[/spoiler]

A mid-sized skeleton with craggled bones and pieces of rock mixed within rose from the soil, wielding a hammer carved from bone itself, with a stone point at the end.  On its head sat a viking helmet, lined with fur, accurately depicting its brutal, restraint-less nature.  "When Bone Crusher rises, you pay the consequences! See, his ability activates, allowing me to destroy one of your Spell or Trap Cards! And I'll choose the one to the left!"

Leaping into the air, the creature thrust its hammer down upon the left-aligned Trap, exploding it into pixels.  Reinforce Truth, the Trap Card, would've allowed Skylar to add a defense to his field alongside his Lancer if need-be, but that part of his strategy was no longer viable.  Still, there was no reason for concern.  Bone Crusher's sixteen-hundred attack points couldn't touch White Knight Lancer.

"You look too calm for my liking," Aligarth cackled.  "I like to see my prey squirm before I go in for the kill! Don't think your White Knight Lancer is safe from harm!  I activate the Spell Card Pike Bone!"  Skylar grimaced as the hammer in the skeleton's hands began to morph, losing it's stone tip and taking on a razor sharp edge.  Holding it, the Bone Crusher appeared more confident as well, seething at the mouth to unleash its fury.

[spoiler=Pike Bone]

Equip Spell Card

Equip only to a Level 4 or lower Fiend or Zombie-Type monster.  It gains 1000 ATK.  If the equipped monster destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy that target.  The equipped monster cannot be destroyed by card effects.[/spoiler]

(Bone Crusher: 1600 + 1000 = 2600)

Damnit, that thing just got a hell of a lot stronger! He thought worriedly.

"That's more like it, hehehehe!" Aligarth laughed creepily, the lust for blood in his eyes.  "Now, Bone Crusher, wipe out his Lancer with Revenge Breaker!" The creature was more than happy to oblige, driving the bone straight through the Lancer's chest as the valiant warrior cried out in pain, pain that Skylar felt, too.

3900 | 3600

But that wasn't the worst of it.  "Now that my attack has gone through, Pike Bone's effect kicks in, wiping out your other face-down card as well!" 

Skylar nearly lost his balance - these attacks were stronger than the others.  Whatever these creatures were, they had a much greater sense of spirit energy and utilized it in much different ways.  On top of that, his body was already weakened from his attempts to use seishin kyota earlier.  In other words, things weren't looking good.  He couldn't let on to anyone, Alistair included, about his current condition, but to maintain a confident stance going forward was not going to be easy.  He'd lost his entire field in one swipe, and what was in his hand wasn't going to be much better.

"Oh where oh where did your confidence go?" Aligarth bellowed.

Skylar grabbed his midsection as the pain grew worse.

---

Alistair looked behind him in a flash, noticing it before Skylar had a chance to pull his hand away.  It was clear - he wasn't in good shape.  Damn, I can't do a thing to help him, either.  This ain't the same Skylar I saw dueling Damien.  His health is rough, especially since his body hasn't had a chance to recover from the amount of energy he's exhausted already.  There was concern in his eyes.

Olgarth spoke.  "I wouldn't worry too much about your friend, because you've got a duel here to focus on, and if you haven't noticed, your running awful low on Life Points," he smiled.

He's right.  Besides, Skylar wouldn't have shown any concern for him.  They were fighting together, but essentially on their own.  Still, he couldn't help but worry about the boy's condition.  Despite his rough outward appearance, something about Skylar was a mystery, something that made him think the entire show he put on on the outside was just a cover-up.  "You better not be fading out on me already over there," he said.

Skylar raised an eyebrow, not turning his head entirely but caught off guard by the words.  "Don't worry about me, I'd be more worried about yourself.  I'm fine." He lied, turning his attention back to the duel.  In actuality, he wasn't fine at all.

---

Up to this point, he's been able to damage me without so much as summoning a monster.  As long as that Minoan Bullhammer is in his Graveyard, he can continue to trigger whatever effects in his hand he wants without having to worry about the backlash. No matter what move he made, Alistair faced the risk of hitting a card in Olgarth's hand that would hurt him even more, and with only twelve-hundred Life Points already, that didn't leave much.  Each time he hit a card, Minoan Bullhammer would refresh Olgarth's hand regardless, meaning he was running out of options. 

"I end my turn," he said begrudgingly.

"Just as I assumed," the wise Olgarth replied.  Everything was working just as he'd anticipated.  There wasn't much left to do now.  "Brilliant, I drew exactly the card I was hoping for," he said placing a card into his duel disk.  Alistair shivered at the words.  "Now watch as I activate the Spell Card Destruction Ruins!" A card depicting a fallen historic city appeared in front of him, as holograms of Olgarth's hand appeared once more. 

"Oh come on, don't tell me it's another one of those cards," Alistair replied.

Olgarth smiled.  "You should be used to it by now.  Though I advise you to pick wisely."  Explaining the effect, he continued "You see Destruction Ruins is a very unique card.  "It forces you to choose a random card in my hand to discard and send to the Graveyard.  But then, if I so choose, I can send another card of my choosing to the Graveyard as well, on the occasion that your choice is less than stellar.  But both cards are treated as being sent to the Graveyard by you, meaning no matter what card you pick, your fate is sealed!"

“So your advice to pick wisely was just a mocking quip?” Alistair asked, his eyes burning with focus.  “If it doesn’t matter then, I guess I’ll just take the one to the far left.  You do whatever it is you gotta do.”

Why all of the sudden is this boy’s tone shifting?  At first he felt fear, then confidence, but all of the sudden I’m sensing a mixture of the two.  Olgarth wondered if it had anything to do with seeing the other one in such a weakening condition.  Aligarth had that duel under control, but the untapped power of his own opponent was still disheartening.  While it didn’t appear that the two were friends by any means judging by what little he knew about human interaction, it seemed as though the more he saw the other one suffer, the greater his inner power became.  I ought to be careful to end this soon, just to be safe.

“Indeed it was,” Olgarth said.  “This duel is in the palm of my hand, and now is as good a time as ever to finally bring it to a close.  You were a spirited opponent, but truthfully my unbreakable combinations secured the results from the beginning.  As a mere human, you lack the knowledge necessary to counter such a feat.  Simply bringing forth power play after power play will not win you a duel of this caliber.”

“Listen, I love the thrill of a good duel, but it’s clear that’s not what this is about,” Alistair replied, cold.  “Now I’m telling you this for the first and the last time – no matter what it takes, I’m going to win this duel.  Frankly, there’s no other choice.  So just make your move – show me the card I’ve chosen.”

“As you wish,” Olgarth grinned, placing not one, but two cards into the Graveyard, as the first one revealed itself, depicting an ocean blue statue carved out of stone, this one an elephant as well, though much more graceful in nature.  “The card you chose was my Elephant Statue of Blessing (1500).”

[spoiler=Elephant Statue of Blessing]

LV3/EARTH

Rock / Effect

When this card is sent from your hand to the Graveyard by an opponent’s card effect: You gain 2000 Life Points.

1500/0[/spoiler]

3900 | 1200

“What great feeling this renewed life brings,” Olgarth said with a smile as the monster’s effect rejuvenated his body entirely.  “I must thank you for that; I’m feeling even better than before!” He laughed, knowing Alistair’s condition was far from his own.  “And I can’t think of a better way to reward you than by revealing the card I chose to discard! The Spell Card Payback!!,” he screamed.

In an instant, Alistair’s entire field was wiped out, before he even had a chance to respond.

[spoiler=Payback!!]

Normal Spell Card

If this card is sent from your hand or your field to the Graveyard by an opponent’s card effect: Target up to 3 cards your opponent controls; destroy those targets.[/spoiler]

Bolt Tiger! He’s gone! What had happened?  The Spell Card had activated and resolved so quick that he didn’t even get to process it.  But damn, Olgarth was happy.  His face was all smiles as his fur stood up on all sides, pleased with his handiwork.

“It’s all in the control,” Olgarth said.  “Now then, since I believe my turn is done, I’ll end with this, Stone Grotto Lizard (100) in Defense Mode!”

Curling up into a ball as it stumbled onto the field, the pale green amphibian huddled itself between a pile of stones.

[spoiler=Stone Grotto Lizard]

LV4/EARTH

Rock / Effect

When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: Your opponent selects 1 card from your hand; send that card to the Graveyard.  This is treated as being sent to the Graveyard by an opponent’s card effect. Then, Special Summon this card to your field in face-up Defense Position.

800/100[/spoiler]

Alistair cringed, placing his hand atop his Deck as he prepared to draw.  Again, after doing so he’d be forced to choose another card with Stone Talisman, meaning another one of Olgarth’s effects would be able to go off.  And he didn’t exactly have much left in terms of Life Points, either.  It all comes down to this draw.  He thinks I can’t break through strategy with power and determination alone...I’ll show him what being a duelist is all about! Here goes everything!

Skylar looked back, still holding his chest.  What’s he got that silly look on his face for?  He’s backed into a corner.  Does he really think he stands a chance against this guy?  Typical, a duelist like him knows nothing about a real strategy. 

Whisking his arm back into the winds, he drew his card, holding it outwards for a moment before turning it to his face.  It wasn’t what he was expecting, but he’d work with it.  “Looks like my perseverance paid off after all,” he said quietly.

“What was that?” Olgarth snapped.

“Nothing, don’t you worry about it,” he smiled.  “After all, since I’ve drawn now the effect of your Stone Talisman comes into play, doesn’t it?”

“Indeed it does, and I must say you seem to be more cheery about this than I would expect, given the last time this occurred it resulted in you taking a significant amount of Life Points damage.  Who’s to say the same thing won’t happen again?  In your case, you can’t afford it.”

“I’ve had more than enough of your puzzles and games, it’s time to bring this duel to an end one way or another.  It’s either gonna end here because of a choice, or I’ll call your bluff and realize that your strategy is nothing more than a method of delay!”

Olgarth couldn’t believe his ears. “What did you say?!”

“That’s right, I’ve come to a conclusion.  You may have an ideal defense system here, but all of your plays are entirely reliant on my choices and the luck of the draw.  So far, you’ve been able to test your luck quite well.  But I’ve got a way to see how strong it really is!  So I’ll hit the middle card!”

Growling, the beastman placed the card into the Graveyard.  Dark World Dealings, it would do nothing for him right now.  The boy hadn’t chosen a card that would let him make any plays right now.  It didn’t matter; surely Stone Grotto Lizard would take care of that.

I can do this.  I know I can.  It’s now or never, either I buckle at the fear of luck, or I give it my all and then some and power through it.  He looked at the card he’d drawn, keeping it separate from the rest.  Then, he turned to face Skylar.

“Listen, you may not like me – you and I have our differences and I’m willing to accept that that isn’t going to change,” he said, stern.  “But the fact is there are lives at stake here, and whether you choose to admit it to me or not, your condition is worsening by the second.  I can see it in your eyes.”

Huh? Skylar’s eyes widened, through no intent of his own.

“I can win,” Alistair said.  “You need to do the same.  Don’t let someone as pathetic as I am emerge victorious while this guy crushes you, you understand?  Cause as far as I’m concerned, you and I still have a score to settle, and I need you alive for that.”

Skylar met his eyes, and then looked down to the ground.  Truthfully he didn’t care about the others, but something inside him couldn’t bear to let these worthless creatures rip them of their lives. “I could never live with myself knowing that I couldn’t beat the girl, but these...things could.  I have multiple scores to settle and for that reason and that reason alone, I will win.  Just stay out of my way.”

Yet he wondered how Alistair could possibly turn things around on his end.  And more importantly, how he could turn things around over here.  His body wasn’t going to hold up much longer in this state.

“It’s as good as an agreement as I’m gonna get, so I’ll take it.” Alistair nodded, fully turning his attention to Olgarth.  The beastman was growing impatient.  “Now for you.  Don’t you worry; I didn’t talk a big game just to keep you waiting.  You said when this duel started that this pairing was done intentionally because it puts me at a disadvantage.”

Olgarth smiled, but the smile quickly vanished.

“Whoever it is that gave you these orders overlooked one thing,” he said.  “My vow to win won’t be broken just because the odds suggest it.  In reality, I never for a second stopped believing in my resolve!”

---

As the sunlight faded away through the few windows of the facility, Skylar looked up towards the sky, through no intention of his own.  His condition grew worse by the second – even standing was beginning to hurt.  He didn’t understand why using his abilities would bring forth these kinds of effects, and at that moment began to wonder if his refusal to accept Calle’s help and training was a mistake.

At the end of that fight between he and Andrea, his Seishin kyota had failed him completely, but he didn’t feel weak using it.  All the while, even after he fired it, Calle had remained completely still, not choosing to intervene despite the fact that the girl’s life was at risk.  Was it that he didn’t care?  Of course not.

He clenched his fists.  I don’t give a damn about any of them, I don’t...I can’t.  But damnit, how could Calle be so strong, such a skilled warrior while still showing emotions, while still putting the others before him?  Why not use his talents to actually go places instead of wasting his time training with them?  It didn’t make sense – that’s not what being a strong fighter was about.  And yet Calle could tell before he’d even fired his attack that it would fail him.

You couldn’t have great power and be a great person at the same time.  He used to think it was possible – it used to be his dream.  As a young boy, he wanted nothing more than to become a hero, someone people would appreciate, someone people would look up to, a bold, brave warrior who was feared and respected across the world.  But that day...that one day had changed everything.  His entire life had changed in an instant and because of his mistakes he would never go back to the person he once was, no matter what.  He couldn’t.  He couldn’t be weak ever again!

“Aye, maybe you missed what I was saying earlier,” Alistair said, snapping him out of his daze.  “I can tell by the look in your eyes that there’s more to you than I can see on the surface.  Whatever it is, right now it doesn’t matter.  Whatever drives you to act the way you do and live your life the way you live it is entirely irrelevant if you go and get yourself killed.”

“Shut up! I didn’t ask for your opinions, I told you I can handle myself! You don’t know what it’s like to—”

“I’ve been through a lot more than you or I would like to think about,” he said, shifting his eyes towards the ground. Skylar froze in place as the look on Alistair’s face changed drastically.  “We’ve all got our past but what good is it if we die right here and now?  So much of this is new to all of us – I’m not about to throw it all away.”

“You know what kid,” Skylar remarked.  “You must just be right on this one.”  I hate to say it, but I’ll never be able to get stronger if I lose.  And losing to this guy...even Damien could beat this guy.  And I destroyed him.  So that means...”Aligarth, you’re through.”

“Strong words from someone on the verge of dying, don’t you think?!” The beastman laughed uproariously.  Who did this human think he was to make such comments?  His field was empty, he was about to go for the final kill in just a turn.

“It’s over!” Skylar exclaimed drawing a card as a burst of light exploded from his body, surrounding him with a white veil.  “Because now that your turn is done, the effect of White Knight Lancer comes into play, allowing me to Special Summon any White Knight monster from my Deck to the field in Defense Position, with the drawback being that it’s defense becomes zero!”

His energy is becoming visible...what kind of sorcery is this?

This power...I don’t know where it’s coming from! Had Alistair’s words had that much of an effect on him? Or was his power finally awakening?  Whatever it was, he knew he wouldn’t have it for long.  And while he had it, he had to bring an end to this duel.  “And so I bring out White Knight Replicator (0)!”

[spoiler=White Knight Replicator]

LV4/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 “White Knight” monster from your Deck to your hand, except “White Knight Replicator”.  If this card is used as Xyz Material for the Xyz Summon of a “White Knight” monster: You can treat it as 2 materials.

1700/1400[/spoiler]

“It’s all over!  I wasn’t planning on making such a drastic play but he’s right – I’ve got no other choice! I can’t lose to the likes of you! Now, I build the Overlay Network using White Knight Replicator as not one, but two Xyz Units!” He exclaimed, as the white-armored warrior leapt into the sky in a burst of light.  “With this, I call forth the unstoppable force, White Knight Guardian (2000)!”

Striking the field with great force, the light continued to pour out by the bucketful, causing the beastman to place their grizzly hands over their eyes, the darkness inside of them repulsed by the very essence of light.  Alistair’s surging energy and Skylar’s renewed sense of power were coming together at the same time in a such a weird display of energy that no one could explain it.  Upon the field, clad in a silver-white armor and wielding a three-bladed sword in the shape of a cyclone, the powerful Xyz Monster made his presence felt.

[spoiler=White Knight Guardian]

RK4/LIGHT

Warrior / Effect

2 Level 4 “White Knight” monsters

When this card battles a monster: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the original ATK of that monster (before Damage Calculation).  If this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.

2000/2000[/spoiler]

Unable to look away from the mighty warrior across the field, Olgarth and Alistair both turned their attention to the majestic knight.  The beastman couldn’t believe his eyes.  “After taking those attacks from Aligarth’s Bone Crusher, how is it possible he has the strength left to summon a creature of this level?!”

“If I have to die to see this through to the end, then so be it,” Skylar commanded Aligarth’s attention, leaving the reckless beast with a stunned look.  “But it won’t be at your hands – this duel won’t be the last of me.  Someone as pathetic and clueless as you stands no chance in beating me!”

“You talk like you’re tough, but in reality you can’t even stand,” Aligarth bellowed with laughter.  “Even with a shiny new monster, your fate is sealed!”

“The time for talk is over, it’s time to end this! White Knight Guardian, attack his Bone Crusher with Crest of the Paladin’s Siege!”

“You pitiful human, you’ve gone crazy!” Aligarth exclaimed, as the knight raised its tri-bladed sword into the air, and glowing in a blaze of illuminant light, hurled it across the field.  “My Bone Crusher is too strong to fall to your ways!”

Skylar flashed a rare smile.  “Who says your Bone Crusher was my target?” 

As Aligarth looked up, the beastman realized that the Guardian’s sword was not targeting Bone Crusher at all – rather headed straight towards him.  “What sorcery is this?!”

“It’s simple, what White Knight Guardian lacks in attack points, he makes up for with his special ability! One that comes into play when he declares an attack! Before our battle even gets underway, you take damage equal to Bone Crusher’s attack points!”

3900 | 1000

Like a boomerang, the blade sliced through Aligarth’s chest at three points, then swung back across the field where White Guardian grasped it firmly with his right hand.  Covered in blood, Aligarth no-sold the efforts.  “What does it matter?! Now our battle will commence and your monster will be no more! And once that happens, you’ll be out of monsters, and I’ll finish you off for good next turn like the useless human you are!”

With the bone spear in hand, Aligarth’s monster viciously attacked; Skylar said nothing as his knight was pierced, his armor cracking on all sides as he exploded into a blast of light.

3300 | 1000

“Damn, this ain’t good!” Alistair shouted.  “His monster is...”

“Yes, it would appear that this duel – as well as your friend’s final efforts – are all but over.”  He smiled, one that quickly turned to a look of shock as the remaining bits of armor from White Guardian’s exterior blended together to form a small sphere in the center of the field.  With one quick motion, it blasted outwards, the light growing stronger and heading straight in Aligarth’s direction.

“What is this?!  The light, it’s too bright! I can’t...!”

“What you’re witnessing is White Knight Guardian’s second effect,” Skylar said.  “At any point when he’s destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, the person responsible for its destruction takes one thousand points of damage.”  Dropping to one knee, Skylar maintained a satisfied grin.

“This cannot be!” The madness of it all, the thought – he’d been beaten by a human? The same human he could’ve torn to shreds in a real fight, but instead had been relegated to a duel, and now...the light was about to swallow him whole.

3300 | 0

Winner: Skylar

“He did it!”

Alistair’s excitement didn’t last long, as Skylar’s victory may have been in the books, but the boy’s life was another story.  As Aligarth was wiped away by the final blast, Skylar collapsed to the ground, his body beyond the point of exhaustion.

He wanted to run over to help, but Olgarth reminded him otherwise.  They still had a duel to finish.  “I wouldn’t turn your back on the enemy now, boy.” There was a noticeable increase in the angered tone of Olgarth’s words.  Aligarth had fallen, and now he was the only option they had left.  Lord Terrance would not be pleased if they did not achieve victory.  

“Besides, it looks like your friend is dead, so what does his victory matter anyway?” He said.  “Aligarth was an annoyance no less, so as far as I’m concerned the both of them dying is a win-win situation,” he laughed.

Shaken up, Alistair drove his fist into the wall to the right, with such great force that a crack formed, splitting it in all four directions.  Olgarth went silent, off-put by his incredible strength.

“I told you already,” Alistair replied, his knuckles bloody from the unforgiving concrete.  “He’s not my friend.  Hell, I can’t stand the guy.  But if you think I’m going to stand here and allow you to talk about him like that, to talk about a comrade who put his life on the line alongside mine, no matter the reasons, you’ve got another thing coming, mate.” From all sides, Alistair’s body began to produce a visible energy, a luminous green coat of Rakurai, able to be seen clear as day.  With it, the walls around him began to crack further, including the floor beneath, as his power levels expanded even more.

“Your comrade fell in battle and you have the nerve to praise it?!  I don’t know anything about the vaych way of life, but if that’s the way you treat an ally, then I hold no regrets about destroying you and ridding this world of a soul-less creature like you! It’s time to end this duel once and for all!  HAAAAAA—I’M DONE PLAYING AROUND!”

With his arms stretched outwards, the energy released even more, blasting a hole in the ceiling above them.

What is this power? He’s getting stronger when he should be at his weakest! Olgarth wondered worriedly.  His energy is so powerful that I can see it, and just by standing he’s completely torn apart the facility! This can’t be a normal human...

“Get ready Olgarth of the vaych, because you’re through!”

Alright I'll be reviewing both Chapters at once. 

Chapter 7

So I'll start with my favorite thing about the chapter, which is the end. First not only do I like the writing, but this is the first real insight we've gotten on the enemy. Plus it gives a look into Erebos and what kind of world it is. I'm a bit curious about something though, Damien is supposed to be combat oriented, so I'm a little puzzled why he would get winded before Andrea. Also how long have the kids been there, because you make it sound like they've been there for a while, but the beginning makes me think they've only been there for a few days. Not much to say about the duel, it was nice, but I think it really shines in the next chapter. 

Chapter 8

My favorite part about this chapter has to be the tension that's built up at the very end. Like I said the duel really shines in this chapter, because we get more characterization out of the boys. This really gets me excited to see the next chapter, and hopefully, Andrea and Damien's duel. 

Alright I'll be reviewing both Chapters at once. 

Chapter 7

So I'll start with my favorite thing about the chapter, which is the end. First not only do I like the writing, but this is the first real insight we've gotten on the enemy. Plus it gives a look into Erebos and what kind of world it is. I'm a bit curious about something though, Damien is supposed to be combat oriented, so I'm a little puzzled why he would get winded before Andrea. Also how long have the kids been there, because you make it sound like they've been there for a while, but the beginning makes me think they've only been there for a few days. Not much to say about the duel, it was nice, but I think it really shines in the next chapter. 

I'm so glad to hear people say they liked the end of Chapter 7.  That wasn't something we came up with in planning - I sort of did it on the fly, and I'm glad because it came out really well.  It was just a small detail.  Damien is in no way combat oriented in that sense - he's a tactical genius and a skilled fighter, but that doesn't mean his conditioning is better.  He has the mind to be a great fighter, and he is strong, but there's a drawback in that he gets worn out easily.  And yes, that will be relevant later.  We weren't like "set" on a number, but the kids have been there for like 4-5 months before Calle's arrival, give or take.  A specific (exact) number isn't really all that important.

Chapter 8

My favorite part about this chapter has to be the tension that's built up at the very end. Like I said the duel really shines in this chapter, because we get more characterization out of the boys. This really gets me excited to see the next chapter, and hopefully, Andrea and Damien's duel. 

The tension was something I worked hard on - at the same time, it took way too long to get this Chapter done because of Writer's Block and real life, so it's nice that I was finally able to finish it and get that part of it done well.  Now that we're past the little road block, Chapters will be coming at a much more solid pace.  Thanks for the comments, too Lisol! :)

Where is everybody else? :c

Still hardly any comments, but here's another Episode.

[spoiler=Episode 9: The Proud Hunter]

Episode 9: The Proud Hunter

He was only slightly ahead of her when it happened, but it was more than enough. They had been running ever since the Ratman had come for them, getting closer and closer to Beatrice with each step. The hallway they were in now were relatively untouched by the chaos so far; the offices were evacuated, with the scientists most likely having fled into the safe rooms somewhere far below. Damien shivered. Trapped down there, like rats in a cage. If the beastmen came for them, they wouldn't be safe.

Not that their fate was any more certain. The ratman seemed content with running after them, for the time being. He had kept his distance, no more than a few steps behind. If he was trying to wear them out, he was certainly succeeding; even Andrea was getting tired, falling behind while Damien lead the way. He was just about to turn a corner when the ratman made his move.

He was quick, hasty and efficient. With the duel disk strapped to his left arm, he revealed a different contraption on the right. Before Damien could get a closer look at it, there was a twang and a flash of silver. Behind him, Andrea screamed out in pain.

He turned around to face them, only to see her clutching her leg, looking like she was about to fall over at any time. There was no blood as far as he could see, which was good, but her leg seemed very stiff. A needle was sticking out of it, glimmering in the hallway light. She let out another scream, and turned to the ratman.

”You bastard!”, she barked at him. ”What have you done to me!” The ratman smiled, coming closer to them. ”Nothing permanent, I assure you. It's going to get worse and worse for a time, but it will not kill you. By the time I bring you back to Lord Terrance, you'll be unconscious.” Terrance, Damien noted. ”As much as I... enjoyed hunting you, there are certain measures that have to be taken. You are much too close to the master for comfort. If he sees you before I catch you... that would be very unpleasant for me. In other words... this is where it ends for you.”

He raised his right arm, and pointed it toward Damien. The device looked like some sort of crossbow, armed with a broad silver needle. The ratman nodded. ”Now, child, there are two ways we can do this. You can either come with me quietly, or...” He tapped his right hand. ”... I let this one loose on you. It won't hurt as much as the one she got, but it'll knock you out good nonetheless. My orders were to bring you back alive and unharmed, and that's what I'm here to do. However...”

The duel disk on his arm came alive, as if by its own accord. The ratman smiled as he raised his left arm. ”I am not as terrible as I might look. I'm going to give you a chance to run away, boy. To keep the hunt going, so to say. Defeat me, and I will let you go. I will return to Lord Terrance and tell him that you managed to escape. Then, I will take a pack of my brothers, the most ferocious I can find, and the hunt will begin anew.”

Damien took a step forward. ”And if you win?” The ratman's smile widened, and nodded at the silver needle. ”If I win, the hunt ends. This one goes off, and you come with me. Lord Terrance wants you both,

and that order still stands.”

Something ticked in Damien's mind, something the ratman had said. Both. ”What happens to her? What are you going to do to my sister?” His opponent raised an eyebrow. His eyes only left Damien's for a second, falling on Andrea. ”Your sister, is she? Two of you, in the same family. No wonder Lord Terrance takes such an interest in you.” He shrugged. ”Nonetheless, her hunt is done. No matter if you win or lose, I will take her with me when I go. These are my terms, boy. What do you say?”

I don't know. Damien could see that Andrea was fading; whatever poison the ratman had put in his weapon slowly clawing its way through her system. She was trying to get to her feet, propping herself up against the wall, but her leg would barely support her weight. She wouldn't be able to run. Every muscle in his body, every fiber of his being told him to run, to get to Beatrice and end this, but he couldn't bring himself to it. I won't run away. I can't let it happen, not again. I can't let them take her.

Then, he looked into her eyes, and they told him everything he needed to know. Despite her poison, despite barely being able to stand, there was no less of her spirit in there than before. The pure force in her eyes that so many mistook for anger, for fury, but what he knew was nothing but unfettered drive and ambition, was there. His sister was a fighter, she always was, and she would go down fighting. Go, brother, those eyes told him. I'll take care of this rat bastard.

What happened next, happened very quickly. Damien spun around and made a sprint towards the next door, which would take him to Beatrice's quarters. Behind him, the ratman shook his head, and tapped his weapon. There was another twang, and a silver needle was released from its holster. It traveled through the air as quickly as a bullet, its tip dripping with poison... and stopped mid-air. It hung there, like a fly trapped in a web. For a split second, just before he turned the corner and they left his sight, Damien thought he could see something bursting out from his sister's arm, grabbing hold of the needle and throwing it away.

“Well well, you can stand,” Vancer remarked.  “Quite impressive indeed.  For such a scrawny little human girl, I’m surprised you had the strength left in you to even remove the needle from your leg.”  He flashed a smile, a friendly smile, but in the least friendly of ways.

“It’s no matter,” he said.  “I had the expectation that one of you would attempt to run away.  Surprised it was the boy, you would think as your brother he would’ve stuck around to try and protect you; I guess he didn’t have any interest in my offer.”

Andrea shot him a look, a bloodthirsty stare in her eyes.  Rather than fear it, Vancer simply laughed once more.

“It’s always fun when the prey tries to put up a fight,” the Ratman said.  “So tell me, how shall we do this? I received orders to bring you to the Master alive.  I don’t expect your body will hold up long enough for a duel, as it’s only a matter of time until the poison spreads throughout your whole body, rendering it useless, but if you wish, we can certainly try.” He loved a good hunt, and the girl in her condition made the prime target.

As she looked up at him from a kneeling position, he heard the clank of the needle hit the floor.  Perhaps she’d begun to lose consciousness already.

With her eyes fixated on Vancer’s forehead and nothing else, Andrea kicked off the tile floor at her feet, rocketing across the hallway to the vaych’s location, at speeds even he couldn’t keep up with, blasting him square in the face with her right fist.  In an explosion of pressure all at once, she sent him back a solid ten feet, crashing into the brick wall at the end of the facility’s hallway.

At the same time the twisted beastman hit the stone, cracking it in all sorts of directions, Andrea’s feet touched down on the tile, as she keeled over, panting extremely heavily.

How could she...Vancer gasped for air.  How could she have...enough movement in her body to explode like that...? He coughed a couple of times, breathing in an out as the fragments of stone broken from the smash into the wall fell down around him. 

She looked up at him; her face was scratched up pretty badly, and her crimson-red hair had almost fallen out of its ponytail holding, but she somehow maintained a look of confidence while saying no words at all.

She shouldn’t be able to move at all, but she took off so fast, there was no time for me to react! The poison should have begun to spread throughout her body much faster than it had, and even by looking at her, he could tell that she was weary, but that one shot was ten times more than she should’ve been able to muster up at this point.

“So come on...” Andrea said, trying to catch her breath while she locked eyes with the beastman.  “You said you liked a good fight, didn’t you?” She ran the back of her hand across her mouth, and then brushed her hair out of her eyes, returning to a standing position.  She didn’t have much time – she could feel the poison spreading faster and faster.

She thought of her brother. I’ll never forgive you for what you did.  Never.  But if anyone has the ability to stop this...you’re much more suited for the job than I am.  I swore I’d never count on you for anything again, and that’s not going to change, but this is like the one exception.  So damnit, you better stop them.  I’m not putting my life on the line for nothing.

There was an awkward lull, a silence between the two of them for a moment.  Then, Vancer pulled himself from the indent in the wall and placed his feet on the ground, laughing a somewhat somber laugh.  “So is that it, then? I admit, truthfully I do, that was truly impressive.  I’ve no problem complimenting the strength of an enemy, especially not when someone who looks like they could be snapped in half with no effort at all is able to not only withstand the deadly poison, but hit me with the force you did just now.”

He’s still standing.  She felt her body shaking; the poison was spreading even faster than before, and her attack had used up nearly all of the strength she had left.  Just like her fight with Skylar, her first punch had carried a ton of momentum behind it, she’d been able to catch him off guard.  But now what? Now she was out of options, and whereas Skylar wasn’t going to kill her, this guy would show no hesitation to do whatever was necessary to achieve his goals.  It’s like I barely scratched him.  Damn, I can’t seem to move.

“It would appear the poison is finally taking effect,” he said, taking a deep breath, exhaling it slowly.  Finally, things had calmed down to a pace he could...appreciate.  Slowly but surely, he made his way back to the girl.  She wanted to move, to run away as fast as she could – he could see it in her eyes, the fear.  It wasn’t just fear, but anger as well.  Hatred.  Hatred of the fact that she had become a trapped animal in a cage, and would be forced to face the consequences that awaited her. 

At this point, he could leave her here to wither in pain and chase after the boy – at that point, he would probably be nearing the Master’s location; that was a dangerous risk.  But it didn’t matter, he was winded anyhow. 

“Don’t worry; I’ll handle you in just a bit.  I have some errands to run,” he smiled, and as he’d reached the point where she was kneeling, drove his knee straight into her chest.  Helpless and unable to move in order to defend herself, she gasped, coughing up blood, as the drops spattered all across the floor on the tile in front of her, nothing but symbols of her weakness.  She collapsed to the ground, and Vancer smiled once again, the grin becoming an almost-permanent fixture upon his face.

“It’s okay dear, the poison won’t kill you,” Vancer growled.  “As I said, Lord Terrance ordered that I bring the both of you to him alive, same as the others.  All four of you are to be captured.  The rest of your friends are going through similar experiences now, I’d imagine.  Against the likes of Olgarth and Aligarth, they don’t stand a chance.”

“Shut up,” she spat at him, missing him entirely and only succeeding in drenching the previously-white tile floor with more blood.  “You won’t win, as much as I detest him, I know Calle’s going to save us all, he’ll stop you – he’s much stronger than any of you could hope to be.”

“Oh, Calle Anden?” The thought amused him. “Your words amuse me, child.  Your precious teacher was the first to die.  He was not ordered to be brought back alive, but simply disposed of,” Vancer said.  We’re aware he’s strong, and this is why while the vaych were assigned to reign in the children, Lord Terrance sent an aeithelis to dispose of him.  The dragon is unlike anything the human world is capable of producing, and I’d propose that it’s enjoyed quite a delicious meal.  It’s a shame, that...thing gets to eat its target, whereas we’re forced to pass up such a delicacy.  A young girl like you, I can only imagine how fantastic you would taste.” He licked his lips.

“You’re sick,” she said in disgust.

“No no dear,” he shook his head.  “I’m simply a hunter, such is the vaych way of life.  The others, like Olgarth and Aligarth, they are far more vicious than I am.  I prefer a fun game of chase, they’ll eat you whole.  You should consider yourself lucky that Lord Terrance has chosen to spare your lives, because I assure you, once you’re taken to Erebos, you won’t have the luxury of self-protection any longer.  Now then,” he said, preparing to walk past her, “It’s time I put an end to this, why don’t you get some rest?”

Was it true? Had Calle already been killed?  The others, too, Alistair?  Skylar?  Not that she cared about him, but still...they were elite duelists, they were stronger fighters than she was, too.  And yet these things...these things had torn everyone apart?  If Calle hadn’t been able to survive, a warrior of his level, what was the point in the rest of them even trying?

She felt tears stream down her face, dripping one by one onto the tile alongside her blood, her weakness.  And Damien, her own brother.  She would never truly accept him after what he’d done all those years ago, but at the same time, she knew that her father would’ve never forgiven her if she allowed him to die.  ‘Two rights don’t make a wrong’, he’d always say.  A silly, over-used saying, what was she doing thinking of something like that right now, at this point? 

Quickly, her body was beginning to fade, everything was blurry.  Once she closed her eyes, she would have been defeated.

---

“Come on dad, why can’t I go?  Please, please come on! I never get to go!” She tugged on the back of his shirt, drawing a loving smile from the man’s face.  He knelt down and scooped her up, holding her against his shoulder.  She was crying, but as he pressed his lips against her forehead, she opened her eyes and giggled, a playful little smile.

“I’m sorry honey, but someone needs to stay home and look after things, right princess?” He said.  “We won’t be gone long, I promise.”

“I never get to go,” she cried.  “All I want to do is be big and strong just like you, just like big brother, why don’t you trust me daddy?!”

He closed his eyes as his lips curled up into a smile, running his hand through her hair in a playful fashion.  “Sweetheart, Andrea, you know that’s not true at all.  I can tell just by looking at you, you’re going to be stronger than I ever could, someday.  Even Damien, too.  But shh, don’t tell him I said that.”

“Aww come on, you’re just saying that,” she said.

He shook his head.  “I know you may think that, but I’m being completely honest with you.  Right now you’re like my little princess; you’re the guardian of our home, of our castle.  You may be young now, but without you, the fabric that holds all of us together wouldn’t exist.  You’re more special to me than you could ever imagine, and to your brother, too.  Sure he’d never admit it, but I can see it in his eyes – you mean the world to him.”

“Do you think mommy would’ve felt the same way?” She asked, tearing up with a smile. 

He felt a tear coming from his eyes as he walked her into the house, stopping to look at a picture frame sitting on the table near the entryway.  If only you could see how much they’ve grown.

“Your mother loved you and your brother more than anything else in the entire world, and that will never change, Andrea.  Even if she’s not here physically, she’ll always live on right here,” he said, pointing to her heart with his index finger.  She grabbed his finger with both of her tiny hands and the widest smile crossed her face.  “One day, I’ll be as strong as she was, too!  I swear it!   I’ll make her proud!”

“I know you will, baby,” he knelt down and kissed her forehead.  “Come on Damien, let’s go!”

That was the last time she’d ever seen her father.  The same night, the same ride he’d refused to let her go on as though it were some miraculous act, he and Damien were involved in a car crash that took her father’s life and rendered the opposing driver completely paralyzed from the waist down.  Damien had managed to survive, but watching his father die before his eyes would have lasting effects on him that nothing could shake.

Yet she resented him for it, why couldn’t he have saved him? How could he have been so heartless, after losing their mother, to allow their father to die right in front of him, all the while doing nothing to stop it?  He couldn’t save him.  He couldn’t save anyone.

But she could.  She had to.  She couldn’t afford to give up on them now, she’d made a promise to her parents, that she would become stronger than them some day – she’d become stronger than Damien, too.  She’d be the strongest warrior.  No matter what.

---

“You—you’re not going anywhere,” she reached out with her right arm, before she even knew it, grabbing the Ratman’s grizzly legs and tightening her grip so strong that she heard him cry out in pain. Her body was acting on its own, like she had no control over it, she felt herself beginning to heat up on the inside, everything had become blurry, but the poison was somehow repelling. “I won’t let you break my promise!”

He tried to pry his way free, but she held her grip for dear life.  Getting to one knee, she thrust her arm backwards, throwing him by his leg and sending him flying back towards that crack that he’d already opened in the facility wall.

What the hell is going on here?!  The human is still functioning?! I can’t stop myself, she’s got too much strength, but this can’t be! The poison should have taken full effect, she even had internal bleeding, what is this?!

Andrea smiled, making a fist with her right hand.  I can feel my power growing, my body is fighting off the poison!  What is this?! She looked down at her hand, the warmth – it was surrounded by fire, her entire fist.  It was like the flames were coming from inside of her.  Is this...is this what I think it is? But how?!

She stared down at the ground, wiping the dried tears from her face.  She thrust her fist into the stone wall, one on each side, and in doing so, both hands became surrounded by the flame.  “Like a match grows in intensity when it’s run against the right surface, I imagine my resolve will do the same!  You’ve humiliated me and degraded me, but none of that matters, because I won’t let you beat me, I swear it!  Haaaaaaaa!” She took off running, her fists plowing through the stone on both sides as the flames grew stronger.  Vancer stood at the end of the hallway, half in the crevice that his own body had created from crashing into the wall.  Now he was the trapped prey. 

“This is what you get, you rat bastard!  This is what you get for threatening to break my promise!  {1st Stage: Fist Infernal}!”  As she reached the end of the hallway, she pulled her fists from the stone, bringing them together as one joined flame.  She kept her eyes locked on him, leaving him nowhere to run.

“Your orders may have been to bring me back alive, but I don’t have orders, and for that reason, I’m afraid I can’t offer you the same consequence!”

That’s a Stage Technique! Someone of her caliber can’t possibly be able to use a move like that, she’s a mere child! What is this?! He shrieked.  It’s like her entire insides have been replaced by fire, her blood coated with it, it’s renewed her strength entirely with an indistinguishable flame!  And this flame has forced the poison out of her body, the temperatures are too strong for it to maintain its efforts!  Damnit, I played too long! I should’ve just gone for the kill from the get-go! This is one hunt that I won’t walk away from with satisfaction.

“This is for everything you said!” She shouted.  “I could care less about the physical pain, but when you try to break me down from the inside, well that I just can’t tolerate!  Now die!” She thrust both of her fists into his chest, the flames exploding upwards and forcing him through the wall hundreds of feet back.  “Fist Infernal Double Fury!”

“Damn you, dying at the hands of a human!” He shouted, his last words as the combination of flames and stone consumed him whole.

She collapsed to the ground, breathing heavily once again.  Only this time, the flames had extinguished the poison.  She’d done her part, now it was up to her brother to put a stop to this.  I’m the weakest of us all, and if I can defeat him, then there’s no excuse why the rest of you can’t make it out of this alive.  Don’t go and fail.

Archived