YuGiOh! Accel: Wings of Darkness [Chapter 109: The Battle Lines, Part Two]

Chapter 112, coming up!

[spoiler=Chapter 112: Shining Arrow]

Chapter 112: Shining Arrow

“Word on the street is, one of you pathetic pests actually managed to beat Etheros.” The man jilted his head and chuckled insincerely. “Master may not have planned it this way, but I'd greatly prefer a one-on-one fight. I'm in no rush, so I can take my time killing you.”

There was only one enemy this time around, so it was clear he wasn't about to be majorly outnumbered. The man's hair was a turqouise blue, tied back in a ponytail behind his head. It draped over his long blue coat, which like the others before him was emblazoned with the Chimera mark. His voice was soft and sinister, but the first thing Skylar noticed was the massive difference in spiritual energy between this guy and the first one they'd encountered.

Interestingly enough, the guy hadn't made any effort to conceal himself, confronting Skylar directly. Normally, some would take that as intimidation, but Skylar saw it another way. An opponent he could fight on equal footing. This should be fun. Time was of the essence, but his opponent had no intention of letting him pass, so he would have no choice but to go all out.

“You may not be in a hurry, but I am,” Skylar replied. “And that means bad news for you.”

“Oh, is that so?” The man replied inquisitively, adjusting his glasses along his brow. “I admire your tenacity. Reminds me of myself back when I was a young, naive child. Anyhow, I'm anticipating our spectacle with eager spirits.”

“I'm curious to see if you still feel that way when this is all over.”

"Ah, such remarkable enthusiasm, I love it! I'll take my time defeating you, so as to show you the true and full power of Rosecrux, Chimera Night's most divine Admin!"

"Rosecrux? So that's your name," Skylar replied. "I must say it's catchy, but I can't shake the feeling that it would sound even better with an arrow through your chest."

"Tenacity or not, it's time for this battle to begin! Nothing will interfere with the completion of the Grand Design!" Rosecrux, his faded blue jacket blowing behind him in the wind, pressed one palm outwards and uttered two words. "Synthesis Burst."

A charged blast of neon green energy released from his hand, heading directly for Skylar. It whisked by the boy as he took to the skies to dodge it. But Rose's stance remained unchanged, as he simply swiped his hand to redirect the blast upwards into the air.

"It's a homing attack!" Skylar cried out, just barely managing to dodge it the second time. With increased acceleration, Rose continued his assault. If he kept trying to dodge it, eventually he would tire out and by that point, he would be helpless to defend himself.

Go ahead boy, waste all your energy, that would only make his job easier, he thought. Rosecrux's movements were so swift and so effortless, that even being able to outspeed the attack didn't seem to faze him. Skylar watched as the blast continued to redirect itself, showing no signs of losing power. It was obvious the man was just toying with him; there was no way this was even close to what he was really capable of. Likewise, there was a way to counter, but it would give away a vital strategy early on.

"Dodge all you like, we can play this game of cat and mouse all afternoon," Rose laughed aloud. "After all, you're the one running out of time, I've got all day."

"Cat and mouse? That's a strange way to phrase it. A statement like that makes it seem like you have the upper hand," Skylar replied, continuing to dodge and yet slowly moving closer to his opponent. Half-captured by the boy's words, Rose changed course once again, directing the blast towards Skylar using his spirit energy as a sense, without realizing Skylar leap over his head. Draw the circle, you control your own power. Skylar remembered the words Calle had shared with him, describing in detail how to effectively utilize his strongest attack. He was still new to it, but with each battle he began to figure out more and more of the limitless potential it carried. And so just as he hovered over his enemy's body, he drew a single circle behind him.

"This time I've got you!" Rose cried out as the blast finally made contact, hitting Skylar from behind.

---

There was no sugarcoating it—he had taken the attack full force. And it hurt like hell. But as he felt himself spiral helplessly towards the ground, he was sure to turn and flash a quick smile. Rose noticed it only briefly a midst his presumed victory, but he failed to notice the magic circle floating in the sky that Skylar had drawn right above him. And by the time he did, it was too late to move.

“What's this?!”

The entire time, was the boy just trying to get within range of an attack? Had he taken the attack head-on knowing full-well that it would allow him to hit an attack of his own? What an incredible foolish strategy. There was nothing graceful about it at all.

“Winged Thunderforce...” Skylar managed to mutter the words before crashing into the ground. The ground at Rose's feet began to shake from the sheer force of the magic as the circle expanded, bursting with luminous light. All at once, the power of Skylar's magic crashed down on him, striking his body with what felt like a million points of light all at the same time.

Shortly after Skylar's descent, Rose hit the ground as well, his body crumbling under the weight of the attack. It hurt like a bastard, he couldn't deny it, but there was nothing graceful about it. Such a shame. “Such a pathetic display of grace, acting in desperation like that. A true, valiant warrior would have taken the attack in stride rather than embark on a suicide mission.”

“For an attack so pathetic, it sure managed to work, and that's really all I could ask for,” Skylar spat back at him, trying to get back to a vertical base and fight through the pain. He was okay for now, but he wouldn't be able to take too many more attacks at that level and still be able to fight, and that was concerning.

I don't care if he criticizes it or not, I know for sure that attack did some damage. Skylar reassured himself, refusing to become caught in disarray from the enemy's attempts to bait him. “Here, it's time to get back up!” His fingers extended, he took a stance and fired. “Seishin kyota!”

The arrow took off like a rocket, but Rose was quick to jump to his feet and out of the way, causing Skylar's attack to crash into a nearby tree, leaving a pretty significant mark. Rose grinned, amused at the thought of such a simple attack actually making contact. “Please, tell me you didn't actually intend to hit me with that.”

“Of course not. That was simply a distraction to give me enough time to draw another circle.” Skylar shone with confidence as Rose felt the same magic presence he'd felt earlier. Right above his head, Skylar had drawn a second magic circle.

Impossible! He must have drawn it in that split second it took me to dodge his attack! Sorry kid, no way that same trick works twice! “You were a fool to give that away. Now allow me to dazzle you with real offense! Synethesis Burst!” From his palm, Rosecrux fired another homing attack, this time colliding with the blast released from Skylar's thunderforce.

A huge explosion rocked the air; neither of them could see for a few moments, but it was impossible to tell who's attack had prevailed. “Not quick enough!” Rose declared, and this time his blast made contact from below, striking Skylar directly the gut and thrusting him into the air. As soon as it made contact, it felt like all the air had been ripped from his body.

How did he...the boy grasped his chest as he tried to keep himself together, but he couldn't see a thing. Come on...I have to do...something!

Even as the smoke began to clear, two vines shot up from the ground, striking him before coiling him in their grasp.

He could hear the feint sounds of Rose's laughter as the vines tightened, squeezing the very life out of him. It was becoming harder and harder to breathe, and he could still barely make out what was going on.

“What's the matter? I'm sorry, what was that?” He put his hand over his hear, mocking Skylar. “I couldn't quite make out what you were saying! Oh, silly me. I didn't realize you were a bit...tied up!” He roared with laughter, using his hand to control the vines, toying with him by slightly releasing the grip only to tighten it once again as they held Skylar in the air.

“Damnit, I can't...move!” Skylar tried forcing his way free, but the vines were wrapped so tightly around him; it was no use.

“What you're experiencing first-hand is the absolute wonder of my Death Bloom magic,” Rose explained. “I have the ability to interact with and control the very nature around me, and bend it to my will. As long as natural elements are in play, the true extent of my power is limitless. I can create and absorb energy from anything!”

He had to do something, and fast. But the problem was he was completely unable to move, and with each passing second he became weaker and weaker.

“Don't worry, boy. I won't kill you with such violent and brutal tactics,” he said. “The vines are simply the holding pattern! For the real power of my Death Bloom magic is...” He shook his hands, drawing more power from the land around him. A third vine rose from the ground, but this one was pointed at the end, almost like a spear. As it rose, it began to spin around at its point, increasing in velocity by the second until it became more like a drill. But before he could see any further, his body collapsed, and his mind along with it.

---

Was this the end? Everything around him had disappeared, his body floating in an infinite space. He could still feel his arms and legs, but just barely. Even though it appeared the vines were gone, he couldn't move. A sea of darkness surrounded him, an empty void.

He had been beaten, crushed. For the first time since that fateful day, he had made friends, formed bonds, allowed himself to change the way he had been for so long...and in the moment where they needed him most, he failed. Just like the first time. The awful pain and memory of that day came rushing in like a stampede.

It was ten years ago; he had been just seven years old at the time, and had only just begun to learn about the extent of his abilities. He didn't have many friends, but she was the exception. The kids at school viewed him as an outcast because of his powers, and his lack of desire to interact with them only fueled their hatred. But Jessica was different. He never knew why or how their bond had formed; there was never a memory he could pinpoint—it had all felt like a blur. But even when everyone had turned their back on him, she was always there, and that made it okay.

They had become inseparable—they did everything together. She was so outgoing and friendly to everyone, always putting others above herself and doing anything she could to help someone smile. He never understood her value of friendship, or even how fortunate he had been to have it himself until it was too late.

Four years later and they had become closer than ever. Jessica's outgoing and loving personality had actually started to transfer to him, too. He became more open-minded, willing to accept people for who they were and in turn, people accepted him. He made friends, everything had changed and for the first time he was truly happy.

In addition, he had begun to learn to control his Rakurai. He spent countless hours training and learning, determined to become strong enough to protect not only her, but everyone around him. He didn't know from what, but he didn't care. He wanted the strength to protect those close to him.

Even thinking about it made his eyes water. In this state of acceptance, his last moments before drifting off...he could remember. The team of marauders attacked his village, destroying anything and stealing everything they could get their hands on. Most of the people had taken shelter, doing their best to escape. The attackers didn't seem to have any regard for them, but didn't both to pursue them either.

But that had been his moment—he couldn't bare to watch his home and the entire lives of everyone around him be destroyed. Without thinking, he stayed behind and tried to fight. Though his effort was there, it was for naught—he failed at controlling his powers, nothing more than a joke. He didn't have the strength to protect his friends—he was a failure. And just as he was about to die at the marauders' hands, she stepped in and took the blast full-force. The last words she ever said before she died were accompanied by a smile, “Thank you”.

He could never understand why she would thank him...what for? He had been a failure, he had let a great person die, a person who had so much more to live for than he did. It should have been him that day, she could have gone on to live a life of greatness and instead, she sacrificed herself only for him to die and let everyone down again. She was the reason that he kept fighting all this time, but it was no use anymore. He could never...

And then all at once, it hit him. His eyes opened to see the darkness swirling around him, but there was a light. No, not just one light. Millions of lights. Small lights illuminating the darkness. Lights that...felt like the presence of his friends. All of them, Calle, Alistair, Damien, even Andrea, he could feel all of them and they weren't even there.

My mistake...my mistake all this time...I always wanted to be better than everyone else, even now I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it...but everyone else...they fight together, even when they're not together. We're a team. We don't need to fight to be better than one another, we fight to make each other stronger. There is no one member of our team better than another because our strength lies in our team as a whole! How could I have been so stupid...

The lights inched closer to him, preparing to take him away. “I can't...I can't take the coward's way out. I can't give up. My friends need me...just like I need my friends!” You sacrificed yourself for me, and I'd gladly do the same for my friends...but right now I need to live on to fight alongside them. For them. And for you. “Thank you,” he said, feeling the tears stream down his face.

But as the lights reached him, rather than let himself by swallowed by their embrace, he grabbed one. And the second his hand made contact, all the points of light began to join together one by one. His body started to draw them in, absorbing them. “I'm sorry, but this can't be the end for me. Not yet. I won't let the light overtake me—I'll use it to protect those close to me!”

The energy rushed through his body like a bolt of lightning, completely refreshing his wounds and then some. There was so much power surging that he couldn't even begin to control it, shattering the darkness around him until the forest returned, and he found himself still within Rosecrux's trap.

“So you're still alive? For a moment there it appeared your body couldn't handle the pain,” Rose said smugly. “I was afraid I would be deprived of destroying you in a dazzling defeat! But no fear, because now you're alive and able to witness your final demise! Now die, Death Bloom!”

The drill powered towards him, but his mind had already been two steps ahead of his body.

“Seishin kyota,” he muttered the words, and that small white arrow, upon making contact with the drill, exploded into a massive blast of energy the likes of which he had never even imagined.

“My beautiful—what have you done?! This isn't possible, my Death Bloom seals away magic! Trapped within my vines, your magic should be completely and utterly useless!”

But Rose's cries were for naught, as his eyes discovered that Skylar had fired three additional arrows through the vines themselves, completely piercing them to shreds and freeing himself. When he landed on the ground, the Rakurai surrounding his body was completely an entirely visible, shaking the ground at his feet. I've never even felt such levels of power...this kid is some kind of monster!

“What happened to you?! This transformation?! This power?! Tell me!”

Skylar said nothing, but in his hands a new weapon formed. A crossbow, solid black with a green lining around the outside, matching his jacket. He could feel the power continuing to flow through him; this...was this the actual materialization of his feelings? “I've realized that I fought for all the wrong reasons. But now, you'll see what I'm truly capable of when the lives of my friends are at stake!”

“Let's not be unreasonable here, boy,” Rose remarked worriedly. “There's no need to go to such measures! I'm sure we can find some other way to resolve this!” Sweat poured from his forehead as he tried to negotiate his way out of his impending defeat. He was still trying to come to terms with the fact that the boy had completely overwhelmed his unstoppable magic. There was no way he could just allow himself to be defeated, Master would be furious. No, panicking for nothing. This brat would still be defeated at his hands, this glorious light show was nothing more than a false hope! “Synthesis Burst!”

He fired a homing blast from his palm, the same one that had weakened Skylar to begin with. “Try all you want, there's no escaping it! Your flash of hope will be brought down by my true brilliance!”

Skylar didn't move a muscle. His Rakurai continued to grow, the visible aura around him increasing exponentially. Rosecrux's face carried a horrified stare as his attack made contact, crashing into Skylar's body and having absolutely no effect whatsoever. No, this madness...what kind of sorcery is this?

“Your magic carries no conviction behind it. While you may be strong, stronger than me even, you don't believe in what you fight for. For a while there I wasn't believing either, and I nearly paid for it with my life. See, Rakurai works in mysterious ways, many of which we can't even begin to understand. But the stronger your emotion is, the stronger your will to win, the stronger you become!

“Utter nonsense, the beauty of magic is the--”

But Skylar wasn't listening any further. The physical energy around him that had become visible began to materialize within his weapon, taking on the form of a spiraled arrow. The sense of power he could feel was incredible, unlike anything he had ever felt before. No time to analyze it now; this time he was going to let his feelings fight for him. Besides, Alistair won. I just know it. So I can't let him show me up again. “This is your punishment for trying to hurt those close to me! And it's the same fate your Master will suffer! That's not a threat, but a promise! Shining Arrow!

The attack tore straight through Rosecrux's upper body, creating a huge hole in his abdomen, followed by an explosion of charged energy that sent him flying into a collapsed heap.

Skylar felt himself nearing collapse as well—he had used nearly all of his energy to win. But he had to keep going. He had a promise to keep.

To be continued...[/spoiler]

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived