Yu-Gi-Oh! End of Days [CH5: The Star Nexus Tournament Begins!]

Saiba Aisu

And now it's time to tackle the unpleasant stuff—the Duel. I will admit that many of Valerian's cards underwent last minute revisions and were tailored towards the match. I also admit that including such bland burn cards was a cop out of sorts, but only because I didn't see the point in creating custom spell cards with similar / identical effects.. What I was aiming for was a Water/Fire-based imagery, similar to Bastion Misawa from the anime—in other words, combining disparate elements for a striking effect. What I ended up with instead was a total disconnect. And from these comments, it's become increasingly clear that I need to completely rewrite that Duel and many of the respective effects.

If you needed to combine Water and Fire into a set that brings burn strategy into the game, steam would've been a nice theme for it. Also the cards shouldn't have had similar effects, anyway. Since you were going for a double-edged burn strategy, the cards used should be reflecting that, instead of one-sided burn cards. All of which are also pretty op, btw, in 4KLP format.

I would agree with your friend that cards should reflect personality. It was my goal to portray Valerian's aggressive trash-talking nature without going over the top, but again, I guess I failed in that respect.. I'll definitely dedicate some time to rethinking his Deck from top to bottom (even if it seems like a chore, ugh!!)

In regards to Deepsea Dragon, which everyone seems to hate, I would like to say that you forgot to include the Attribute-based restriction that prevents it from being completely splashable.

In regards to Drowned Ghoul and Revenge of the Serpent Lord… it's just like the anime, there is a certain suspension of reality that needs to be considered (at least in my mind). These cards are so powerful because they are used in a context where they are not overpowered… in other words, "all the relevant support" doesn't really apply, because the character won't be using it. However, I've recently debated the validity of this mentality, because after all, if a card exists then I suppose that the Duelist would do their best to obtain it… Mouse of Deep Water was changed for this match, just to provide an opportunity for Daisuke to inflict some damage. Originally, it didn't switch to DEF Mode and also counted as 2 tributes for a WATER monster…

I'll start working on the reworked version of Valerian's Deck right away. But I think you're exaggerating a bit—Deepsea Dragon isn't a staple in every Deck, because he can only be summoned with WATER monsters and his effect only activates by sending a WATER monster to the Graveyard

I was being sarcastic with my very last comment, to emphasize how ridiculously strong it is. But when you say there's a certain suspension of reality that needs to be considered... because they are used in a context where they are not overpowered... Drowned Ghoul is very much used in a context where it is overpowered. All the relevant support I mentioned appears right there in the duel. The fact that Valerian was plusing left and right with every move is a pretty clear indication of that. And you should've kept Mouse's 2-tribute-effect at least. Although it would still be weak.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Umbra]Alright, fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion, and if you feel that the story lacks any kind of interesting pull then I'll certainly do my best to change that. I'm just struggling to understand how you want me to give you a reason to care about the characters while also not revealing too much information about them (generally, I associate sympathy for characters with a traumatic past, big dream, that sort of thing).

I wanted to write the story in an anime style, where most of the main characters appear early on and get fleshed out as the story progresses. Not everyone wants information—just Alexander and Adrienne (because their seniority is threatened) and Hayden, because he's ambitious and naturally curious. The other participants—Raphael, Daisuke, Leon, Vera, and Caroline have yet to reveal their motivations.

I'd appreciate it if you stopped calling Adrienne "the cat." It's just a kind of unnecessarily caustic remark that doesn't serve much purpose, especially since I already clarified to you that the word "purr" was only used twice =/

I agree with you that Duel Academy has vast potential to introduce a whole series of power plays… however, it's also an academic environment, meaning that they have to have structure of some kind. Look at Harry Potter, for instance—sure, the four houses compete against each other, but within the context of established events, such as Quidditch, the House Cup, and the Triwizard Tournament. All of which introduce an element of organized competition.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by "three chapters in." At one point in your post, you say "only three chapters in and we have already met the main cast," meaning that it's still early days for the story, and I'm rushing the introduction of the cast. Next, you say "we are three chapters in, and so far I see the same old interactions," as if three chapters were an ample amount of time to work with.. I can't really decide how to best address this remark other than apologize for inability to write interesting characters (which has never been an issue with you before in my previous works), and try to make them more interesting as the story proceeds. Given that some of the characters have barely had a full twelve lines of speech, I think you're jumping the trigger on this one a bit…

In summation, I'm sitting down now for an aggressive re-write of the first three chapters, trying to take into consideration all the criticisms I've received. Even though things may get a bit heated, I still appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestions.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=~ Epic Hero - Saber ~]Steam..? I suppose, I didn't really think on it. I'm going to start rewriting the first three chapters now, giving special priority to the Duel.

I'm working on toning down Drowned Ghoul and toning up Mouse of Deep Water… still can't decide which way to best explore the Burn angle of Valerian's Deck…[/spoiler]

I'm not talking about "caring" in the sympathetic sense. Doing something like that, where the readers can feel sympathy for any character, hero or villain alike, is very difficult and certainly nothing I'd expect from a fanfic. What I am talking about, though, is interesting characters. Make me feel like these characters have a place in the story, that they are more than just Duelist #6 and Caped Villain #4. Don't drop their backstory on us, just their personality. Make them feel real, like they're actual people who have a reason to do what they're doing. You don't have to tell us that reason; they just need to have one.

That's the thing, though. This isn't anime. This is literature, which is a different beast entirely. Anime can introduce a whole bunch of similar characters because they have visual cues to tell them apart; different appearances, different voice actors, and so forth. With a book, we don't have that, so more emphasis must be laid on characterization and description of their personas. 

I'll stop calling her a cat when she stops making cat-noises. Purring isn't something that humans do, especially not while they're talking.

The academic structure is your setting; something to build from rather than build into. Imagine if Harry Potter had stuck adamantly to the tallying of points for different houses throughout all seven books, with characters regularly going back to the grand hall to check on the current stats. Imagine if we'd been told the current point-count at the start of every chapter. That does not make a good story. Rowling uses the houses (mainly Gryffindor and Slytherin) to create drama within her story. 

Three chapters in, I would expect a much smaller cast of more fleshed-out characters. I would've liked to see that you expanded much more on Daisuke and Leon before you tackle the rest of the cast, which three chapters should be plenty of time to do it in. Two well-presented characters trumps eight poor ones any day.

I must've gotten higher standards since the last time I read your writing. Over the past year I've practically been inhaling A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones, and I've read a hefty bit of Stephen King as well. I'm not saying you have to be on their level; very few people are. I have just come to expect more from literature lately, and so far, End of Days is not providing.

[spoiler=Umbra]So basically, you're saying that all of the characters I've introduced so far are boring and are merely serving a cliche placeholder role.. I'm sorry Umbra, I really wish I could serve up something you haven't seen before. It seems like your extreme familiarity with anime / literature in general makes it difficult to produce anything that you'll deem even remotely original or creative. I understand what you're saying about a "real personality" in the sense of someone that you could possibly meet in real life… but I honestly have no idea how to showcase that. There's no tried formula for it.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only writer to use an animal sound related word when describing a character's speech. Humans also don't chirp in excitement or eagerness, bark angrily, squawk, hoot with laughter, or squeak with nervousness.. and yet all of those are common words used by successful writers to evoke different kinds of imagery. But whatever, you seem to have sunk your claws (pun intended) into this particular example so I'm just going to drop it.

In regards to the academic setting, you've just proven my point..

Imagine if Harry Potter had stuck adamantly to the tallying of points for different houses throughout all seven books

That's it exactly... J.K. Rowling had seven books to introduce alternative plot elements to complement the tallying of points; I've had three chapters. And if you'll recall in Book 4, for the Triwizard Tournament, a huge portion of the book was dedicated to the points for each challenge, the speculation of the media, and the general scrutiny that was placed upon each participant. But again, it seems like an issue that you're pretty set upon.

I really don't know what to say.. if you feel like I've all done is produce eight poor characters (actually, it's 6 so far) then I recommend that you find some literature that is more pleasing to your tastes and expectations. I would hate for you to waste your time reading a story whose intrinsic qualities ultimately prevent it from providing what you enjoy. You've basically told me that nothing in my story is working: not the setting, not the story, and not the characters. If there really is no silver lining to this project for you, then maybe you should move on to something more worthy of your time. Don't worry, I would never dream of reproaching you for abandoning something you see no value in; to the contrary, I would respect you more for it.

I've read A Song of Ice and Fire and I watch Game of Thrones; I've also read a decent amount of Stephen King. While both are enjoyable, I personally wouldn't cite either as a particularly fine (or even original) example of writing. If I had an entire country set in a magical medieval universe plagued by war and filled with political and sexual intrigue to work with, I'm confident I could come up with something a bit better (in fact, I've done just that in the past, with the Crystal Shards RP that you participated in briefly). Instead, I'm limited to an elite school that focuses upon a children's card game, and must adhere to the age-appropriate guidelines of this forum. Sorry if that's not the epic rush you're looking for.

Thanks for all of your comments. I don't know if it seems that way, but I have taken each and every one into consideration. Regardless of whether or not you continue to read / support this project, I'll do my best to apply the critiques you've given me.[/spoiler]

Hey Renegade! Not to worry—I've merely been busy rewriting the prologue and the Duel in Chapters 2 and 3 to work more smoothly and provide better synergy for Valerian's Deck... I also had a close friend's bridal shower to go to, she's getting married next week...

Anyways, I'm all done so please let me know what you think of the rewritten portions (the Prologue and the Duel in Chapters 2 and 3)! Chapter 4 is coming up soon!!

I'll give everything a look through tomorrow and Friday. Last day of school is tomorrow, so I kinda want to get to bed at a decent time tonight so I can kick the last test of the year's ass. Glad to see that things are continuing :D

If the only comment you can produce about the entire story so far is that I changed an existing card to flow better with the story (and even currently existing counterparts like De-Fusion), then I'm good ^o^ That "warping" process also occurs pretty frequently in the manga... I could have achieved the same result by creating an entirely new card with the exact effect I needed, but why complicate things when slightly modifying an existing card works much better?

This is Yugiohcardmaker.net, a site dedicated to custom cards, rather than a faithful copy of the TCG/OCG.

Prologue

I liked the added part here. You added the hook that had been talked about, giving us a much better look into what the basis of the main plot will be. I assume they were talking about the Signer Dragons. From what I gathered these people are protagonists, but an air of mystery and darkness surrounds them. This prologue definitely makes the fic seem more mature than before, focusing more off of the Academy experience. Obviously not liking the questions that arise here, but it provides the hook needed to get my questions answered.

First part of the duel

I like the changes. The introduction of a possible Burn deck is good here, not such a big surprise next chapter. There is a lot more strategy and what not involved here, as well as looking at the duel from the duelist standpoint instead of the onlooker. Nice adjustments.

Now, I skimmed over the the third chapter, but haven't given it any in depth look at the moment. I will later, but my eyes are getting heavy. The last day of school was a busy one...although not academically challenging. Liking the fact that you are taking our suggestions and editing chapters. That shows that you are wanting to be a better writer. Can't wait for a new installment!

Prologue: If I found 1 problem with the prologue, it was that it didn't connect with the first two episodes, like (?) Umbra (?) said it should, but it was a nice addition all the same. It allows us to see, that there's more stuff going on than just at the Academy level with Shirayuri, and her mysterious friend. One thing that confused me was the Prologue is titled the eyes of the enemy, but the two people there seem like protagonists. Also I want to take a guess and say that they were in the Temple of Light. Overall it was a pleasant read, but it lacked the imagery that the other chapters had, which was a little disappointing. Other than that you might want to go to more experienced writers for the more nit-picky stuff.  

Chapter 1: Not to much changed here besides the duel, which flowed much better thanks to the fact you introduced the Burn part of Valerian's deck right away, and didn't start it off with draw power. I feel that you also added more tension here, but that could just be me. I can already see Leon becoming The Friend (a TV Trope were one character is the spirit, usually the main character's best friend, and doesn't get to much involved in the Big Bad Take Down). As a final word all I got to say is that mouse should start wearing some purple and a fedora, because he is a pimp.

Chapter 2: I didn't see to much of a change here as well, but you did improve the flow by not making Valerian's deck so hodge-podgy. Also you improved the already good tension of the Chapter by making pushing Daisuke in a corner much faster. I'm a little disappointed that you didn't re-work the library scene, but oh well. One complaint though, I feel that just Adrienne saying "its for a project" all s***y-like would not get them that sort of private information from the librarian, as he would probably have to be around her age, and if so, why would they hire him in the first place? As a last word, I suspect (and hope) we'll be seeing more of bunny-girl, and that she maybe the elusive Caroline Lace.

You May Ignore The Below Content If You So Choose

Suggestions: To start I would say introduce the villains soon to add some conflict besides student-student, so it doesn't become "another Academy Fic". Also I hope we can get to know the knewly named Raphael and Caroline soon. Lastly I would suggest getting into the tournament soon, just due to the fact that it might become to slice-of-life and slow if you don't. 

[spoiler=Chapter Four]===CHAPTER FOUR: A New Friend Appears! Tear-Stained Resolution / ターン 4:新しい友達が現れる!泣き濡れた決心===

"Caroline! Where is Caroline?"

A pretty copper-skinned girl with ringleted dark hair hurried across the Student Commons, turning heads as she called out for her friend.

"Has anyone seen her?" she demanded of passerby, her tone surprisingly forceful for her size. "Caroline!!"

One of the passing students pointed vaguely towards one of the many paths that connected to the complex, winding in the direction of the greenhouses and gardens. Clarissa took off without another word, her ringlets trailing behind her like a fishing lure.

Despite her frantic pace, Clarissa still managed to appreciate the tranquil beauty unfolding before her. On either side of the path, tall trees arched to form a cool dark green canopy overhead, providing a welcome respite from the glare of the setting sun. She began to slow her pace gradually until she was walking slowly, her head turning as she took in the silence and privacy that permeated the air.

She came to a halt when she reached the clearing, scanning the area for signs of her friend. In the last rays of the setting sun, the greenhouse seemed to shine with a dazzling emerald flame, its long shadow stretching towards her. There was a sudden flash of movement to her left in the furthest corner of the garden, where a girl was kneeling among a thick carpet of blossoms.

"Caroline! There you are!"

Caroline looked up at the sound of her friend's voice, one hand cupped gently around a wilting rose while the other doused it with water from a spray-bottle. Whereas Clarissa was fiery, short and upright like a poplar, she was tall and slender like a weeping willow, with creamy porcelain skin that shone to perfection. The curtain of long black hair framing a gentle face with sad blue eyes only heightened the resemblance: the silky tresses swayed as she rose, like drooping leaves in the breeze.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," Clarissa pouted, placing her hands at her hips in a manner that many boys found extremely attractive. "There's something I have to tell you!"

"I'm sorry, Clarissa," Caroline replied, so softly that she almost went unheard. "I didn't know. I just wanted to come down and work in the gardens for a bit, it always relaxes me…"

"Yeah, yeah," Clarissa said, waving her hand dismissively. "Whatever. Anyways, you have to come with me right now, you won't believe—"

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something as well," Caroline said slowly, her tone gentle but firm. She rose and pointed further into the shade of the trees, towards a solitary stone bench nestled alongside a wooden screen.

"It won't take long, will you come with me?"

Clarissa sighed and rolled her dark eyes in exasperation, recognizing the symptoms—clearly, Caroline was having one of her moments.

"Alright, alright, but make it fast, okay?"

The two girls sat down side by side on the bench. Now that she was closer, Clarissa could see that there was also a marble sculpture nearby, depicting an angel with a mournful smile. Shivering slightly despite the lack of cold, she continued to look around, her eyes tracing the path of the climbing roses on the wooden screen.

"This is my special place," Caroline said after a moment, leaning forwards and plucking a scarlet rose from the screen. "It's where I come when I want to be alone, when I have something I need to think about…"

She sighed and closed her eyes with a small smile, an almost perfect copy of the sculpture behind her.

"I'm sure you know by now about the Star Nexus Tournament," she continued, looking down at her hands with swanlike sadness, "and how I was selected to participate… Well, I've thought about it and I don't think—"

At this, Clarissa could no longer restrain herself. She got to her feet with a swift movement, her voice rising passionately.

"But that's what I've been trying to talk to you about!" she cried, her eyes flashing in vexation.

Caroline did not flinch at the unexpected outburst, but her fingers curled still more tightly around the rose's thorny stem. Suddenly she gave a soft cry of pain as the flower tumbled from her hands into the grass.

Clarissa's exclamations died upon her lips as Caroline raised a pale finger, spotted with a single bead of dark red blood. Both girls regarded the wound for a moment: Clarissa with a mixture of guilt and exasperation, while Caroline's blue gaze was intent, as if the drop of blood held the answer to all of the world's mysteries.

"You'll want to put something on that."

Clarissa yelped and turned in the direction of the sound, where a third girl was emerging from the deep shadow of the trees. Although she was not quite as tall as Caroline, the newcomer nevertheless towered over Clarissa, her bright green eyes filled with amusement and concern in equal amounts.

In comparison to the red- and white-skirted uniforms worn by the two girls, she was dressed for adventure. Several scratches marred her shapely legs, but if she felt any discomfort, she gave no indication. The girl came to a halt before the two Uria Reds, playing absentmindedly with a tress of dark green hair.

"Just who are you?" Clarissa demanded, attempting to draw the rags of her dignity around her after the unexpected intrusion. "And what do you think you're doing?"

With a single fluid movement, the newcomer took off her backpack and set it on the ground. She knelt and began to dig through it purposefully.

"My name is Vera Leigh," she answered brightly, handing Caroline a bandage wrapped around a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. The porcelain-skinned girl murmured her thanks and began treating the wound.

"And as for what I'm doing," she continued, sifting once more through her bag, "I'm conducting research, like always." She pointed with one hand vaguely into the trees, which seemed to extend a fair distance.

Clarissa frowned and crossed her arms, her eyes narrowing. "Research? Are you some kind of botanist or something?" she asked, still not entirely convinced of the girl's intentions.

Vera laughed and shook her head. "Not quite, I think I'll leave that to my father," she replied, withdrawing a small jar from her backpack. She held it up for Clarissa: within its confines, a bizarre purple insect buzzed furiously against the glass.

Clarissa yelped again and sprang backwards, almost tripping over the bench.

"I hate bugs!" she wailed, smoothing her skirts as if an army of insects were crawling over her.

"Suit yourself," Vera shrugged, taking the girl's reaction in stride as she stored the jar once more.

Caroline made a soothing sound and placed a hand on her friend's shoulder; at her touch, Clarissa sat down, still breathing hard. The swan-like girl stood, her blue gaze focused on Vera, who gave her a bright, vague smile.

"You're one of the students chosen to participate in the Star Nexus Tournament," Caroline said slowly.

"That's right," Vera replied distractedly in a cheerful tone, looking around the area as if in search of more insects to study. "And you're Caroline Lace. I'm a Hamon Yellow, which means that I have a bit more seniority than you, but we won't worry about that. It's a pleasure to meet you."

The two girls exchanged a brief handshake before turning back to Clarissa, who seemed to have regained control over herself, although her hair was still in disarray.

"If you two are done with introductions," she said sarcastically, "I'll just tell my story, shall I? Anyways, I was getting some drinks with this boy from third period… Everything was going fine until I overheard someone talking about one of the workrooms on the library's third floor. I went to go check it out and it was true—someone had been using all of those computers to research you, Caroline."

At this last remark, her friend flinched and turned pale, as if Clarissa had struck her across the face. "What did you say?" she asked softly, a terrible pain blossoming her eyes.

"Research," Clarissa repeatedly bluntly, "just your basic background check, I guess… Your age, class schedule, your school record, that sort of thing…"

Caroline gasped and fell to her knees, her shoulders rising and falling in silent sobs. Vera gave Clarissa a disappointed look and rolled her eyes, as if to say, How could you?

The copper-skinned girl crossed her arms haughtily before gesturing to Caroline, as if to say, Go on, you try!

"There, there," Vera said uncertainly, kneeling next to the weeping girl and patting her awkwardly on the head like a small dog. "I'm sure everything will be, uh—okay, yes, very good, and then—"

Caroline continued to weep silently, her dark fair falling to form a curtain around her face. Vera sighed and surrendered in the face of the other girl's mysterious sorrow. She exchanged a concerned glance with Clarissa and then shrugged, utterly nonplussed as to the cause of Caroline's tears.

===

Adrienne enjoyed walking through the hallways of Neo Duel Academy, only too aware of the heads that turned and the eyes that gazed in admiration and envy as she and Alexander passed. Had she been one of the serpents she was so fond of, she would have been practically hissing with pleasure.

Things are just as they should be, she thought to herself in satisfaction, a breathtaking smile appearing on her features; immediately, the boys in the vicinity were smitten, convinced that they were the source of her happiness.

Caroline Lace may have proven an annoyance at first, but thanks to Hayden's information, I'm confident we can deal with her

Although she was not cruel by nature like Alexander, Adrienne was nevertheless competitive and vain, and certainly not above resorting to harsh methods in order to protect her interests. As the Queen of Neo Duel Academy, she did not appreciate any developments that threatened her crown, and it was clear that selection of this year's tournament participants had disrupted the social hierarchy.

I don't know what kind of aspirations Caroline Lace or those other Uria Red dorks might have, she thought, but Alex and I will show them soon enough that it doesn't pay to rock the boat

Her body moved fluidly as she matched Alexander's pace, the two of them walking side by side. As always, she found herself inexplicably drawn towards him, an attraction which went beyond her appreciation for his talent as a Duelist and her appreciation of his cold masculine beauty.

"Hey there, Adrienne! Can a pretty girl like you spare a moment?"

The Greek girl blinked at the voice and slowed her pace, her reverie temporarily interrupted. She turned, blue-black hair falling over her shoulders, and watched as a young man approached, his unbuttoned Raviel Blue blazer flaring behind him.

"Yes, Raphael?" she asked, her impatience poorly concealed as he came to a halt before her. If Alexander had heard Raphael's request he paid it no mind, continuing to make his way down the hallway without her.

Raphael Manganelli flashed her a bright smile, his intense brown eyes flashing up and down her body appreciatively. He was tall and athletic with dark blond hair that was worn short and slightly spiked in the front. A single silver stud glinted at his ear, catching the light from overhead.

"I wanted to congratulate you on placing into the tournament," he replied in a low smooth voice, marked slightly like hers with an accent. "It's no surprise that you did, but I figured you'd appreciate the compliment."

His grin widened, although Adrienne said nothing.

"Anyways, seeing as we're both participants, why don't you and I have a little practice date at my apartment? We can compare notes, maybe share some drinks while we brainstorm ideas…"

Raphael's voice trailed off suggestively, indicating just what kind of ideas he had in mind.

Adrienne smiled slowly and leaned in closer, until her lips were only a few inches away from his. Raphael could smell the fresh scent of her body as well as her perfume, a pleasant dry fragrance that made him think of pomegranate and snakeskin. Naturally, he resisted the urge to drink in the smell.

"You're sweet," she replied, placing a soft hand against his cheek and caressing him softly, her dark eyes smoldering.

"You're also completely out of your league."

Adrienne's tone changed from seductive to blistering so quickly that Raphael blinked in surprise.

"In case you didn't notice," she contained in the same disdainful tone, "I scored better than you did on the exam. I'm not interested in practicing with the likes of you, so take your little offer somewhere else."

She stopped caressing his face and smiled again.

"Good luck at the tournament, Raphael. I look forward to seeing you play."

She gave him a gentle, almost playful slap with her hand before straightening and walking away.

Raphael suppressed a growl as held up a hand to his face, as if her touch had burned him. He glanced at her evenly as she hurried back towards Alexander, who had finally noticed her absence and was waiting with crossed arms.

"I hope we get to Duel against each other, Adrienne," he called, his voice carrying down the hallway after her. "I'm sure that losing to me will change your mind about my offer."

He flashed her one last cocky smile and turned back the way he had come, ignoring the hopeful glances he drew from girls as he passed.

"What was that all about?" Alexander asked, raising an eyebrow as Adrienne fell back into place at his side.

"It's nothing I can't handle," she replied smoothly, the same pleased expression from before on her face.

Alexander and I are the King and Queen of Neo Duel Academy and I'm not going to let anything change that.

===

Caroline cried for almost five minutes before she straightened and rose, drying her eyes slowly. Even after weeping, her skin still shone in the dusk like moonlight.

"Forgive me," she said at last, her voice surpassingly calm after the episode. "I just wasn't expecting something like that to happen."

"Don't worry about it," Vera replied easily, rolling a blade of grass between her teeth as she reclined on the bench, her long legs crossed at the ankle. "It happens to all of us sometimes."

Clarissa, sitting next to the Hamon Yellow, gave her an incredulous look—evidently, she wasn't overly pleased with the seating arrangements.

"I should be going soon," Vera said suddenly, rising and tossing the blade of grass aside. She stretched luxuriously for a moment before relaxing and gazing amiably at the two girls.

"It's been an interesting afternoon, Clarissa, Caroline," she remarked. "I'm not really quite sure what's going on, but am I correct in assuming that you'll be participating in the tournament?"

Clarissa's eyes widened as she transferred her gaze from Vera to Caroline, who had never looked more frail, and yet somehow, determined.

"Yes, I think so," Caroline replied, much more firmly than Clarissa had ever heard her speak. "These problems aren't going to be solved unless I confront them directly, right?"

Vera winked roguishly in the direction of the stupefied Clarissa before nodding her agreement and smiling lazily.

"That's right. I'll be going now, but don't be strangers next time you see me in the halls."

She gave the two girls a bright smile and a wave before moving past them in the direction of the Hamon Yellow Dormitory; within moments, she had disappeared past the trees into the shadowy dusk.

"Are you okay, Caroline?" Clarissa asked tentatively, eying her friend as if she were a different person.

"I'm fine, Clarissa," Caroline answered softly. "I was just thinking of how Vera reminds me of someone I used to know, a long time ago…"

She took a deep breath as an invisible wind blew by them, carrying withered rose petals in its wake and raising a fading, sweet scent.

Clarissa blinked and shivered again as she regarded the sculpted angel behind Caroline, whose smile seemed slightly wider, if that were possible. She recognized that smell—it was the scent of change.

===

AUTHOR'S Notes: 

I honestly think that this has been my favorite chapter to write so far, despite the fact that it's a bit shorter than the others. I'm glad I can finally provide a bit more characterization; now that most of the main characters have been introduced and developed, you can expect to see some action in the next chapter. I would like to thank Lee Hi and a fantastic remix of her song Rose for providing my background music while writing this chapter.

===

CHARACTER Profiles:

Caroline Lovelace

Hair Color: Black

Hairstyle: Long and straight, with some simple layers and bangs.

Eye Color: Blue

Height: 5"9

Weight: 120 lbs.

Favorite/Signature Card: Unknown

Deck: Unknown

Personality: Gentle, timid, and generally gloomy. Protective of others and will not hesitate to stand up for them—something that she seems incapable of doing when it comes to standing up for herself.

Dislikes: Arguments, cruelty.

Vera Leigh

Hair Color: Dark green

Hairstyle: Short and spiky in the back, with multiple layers of bangs and two long tresses in the front

Eye Color: Bright green

Height: 5"7

Weight: 105 lbs.

Personality: Bright and naturally inquisitive, she is fascinated by the world around her and always yearns for new experiences. A bit distracted at times, but reliable.

Dislikes: Complicated situations, uncomfortable clothing.

Raphael Manganelli

Hair Color: Dark blond

Hairstyle: Short, slightly spiked in the front

Eye Color: Dark blue

Height: 6"0

Weight: 175 lbs.

Personality: A womanizer, Raphael mainly concerns himself with winning the heart of every girl in the school. Underneath his vanity and aggression, however, is an honest and well-meaning attitude which surfaces from time to time.

Dislikes: Being rejected, eating junk food.

Clarissa Frayne

Hair Color: Dark brown

Hairstyle: Mid-length, worn in ringlets

Eye Color: Dark brown

Height: 5"4

Weight: 98 lbs.

Personality: Friendly most of the time, although she's also easily irritated. She's more than a little self-centered and enjoys gossip, but she means well.

Dislikes: Manipulative people, bad luck.[/spoiler]

I did quite enjoy this chapter. We got to see some new characters as well as deeper development into a few(okay, really one, but still) we have already met. Is it terrible to say that I like Adrienne. She seems like a person that I would root for in a TV show, snarky and mean. I think I'm in love(lol). The scene in the garden was a bit dramatic, but not necessarily bad. I just wasn't expecting Caroline to be so sensitive. It looks like she has a past to hide, interesting. 

I am not so sure I like Adrienne's infatuation with Alexander. I am getting the vibe that she likes him, but he doesn't return the same feelings. I always pictured that he would be chasing after her...or both chose to ignore their feelings. But, it really is a trivial thing. This Raphael guy seems likable, although I am loving the way that Adrienne rejected him. 

Nice chapter. Similar to the first, with the same elegant writing style and fluid story progression. Loving this!

Thanks for taking the time to post Renegade! I really appreciate it. I'm also glad you enjoyed the chapter, particularly the portion that dealt with Adrienne. I don't think it's terrible that you like her! Yeah, she's mean and full of herself, but she's actually one of my favorite characters and I'm really looking forward to her development throughout the story. Needless to say, this is only the beginning, and she's got a lot of growth to do.

Yeah, I can see how the garden scene might have come off over the top… But that was kind of the point. Caroline is a real sweetheart, but she's also a bit dramatic at times. She definitely has an interesting past (perhaps the most important of all the characters) so stay posted for more.

Your guess is right on the money. As of now, Adrienne is pretty interested in Alexander. She may not have developed deep romantic feelings, but she definitely thinks of him as the only guy "worthy" of her in looks and prestige. Alexander, on the other hand, doesn't really care/notice, he's too cold for such nonsense.

I am realizing more and more that I'm most comfortable with non-action writing. So whenever there's a Duel introduced, I struggle a bit haha.

Thanks for taking the time to post Renegade! I really appreciate it. I'm also glad you enjoyed the chapter, particularly the portion that dealt with Adrienne. I don't think it's terrible that you like her! Yeah, she's mean and full of herself, but she's actually one of my favorite characters and I'm really looking forward to her development throughout the story. Needless to say, this is only the beginning, and she's got a lot of growth to do.

Yeah, I can see how the garden scene might have come off over the top… But that was kind of the point. Caroline is a real sweetheart, but she's also a bit dramatic at times. She definitely has an interesting past (perhaps the most important of all the characters) so stay posted for more.

Your guess is right on the money. As of now, Adrienne is pretty interested in Alexander. She may not have developed deep romantic feelings, but she definitely thinks of him as the only guy "worthy" of her in looks and prestige. Alexander, on the other hand, doesn't really care/notice, he's too cold for such nonsense.

I am realizing more and more that I'm most comfortable with non-action writing. So whenever there's a Duel introduced, I struggle a bit haha.

I was coming to a similar conclusion about your writing, but I think duels are kinda difficult for anyone. They can turn out choppy if not done correctly, but yours haven't been too bad. I think it may just stem from the fact you are out of date on your Duel Monsters knowledge. I bet if you got some of the more experienced members to catch you up to speed it will be fine. Then again, we have only seen one duel, so I may just be judging a book by its cover. 

I have to say, my favorite part was at the end, with Caroline and Vera, it really made me like their characters, and I can already tell that I'll like Caroline. Adrienne's scene was very lulz-y and enjoyable, and it really shows off her "serpentine" attitude. I can see her attraction to Alexander being more of a "I want him just so I can say I had him" kind of thing. 

Also, if you've got some theme music, put it in I love to have a little BGM when I'm reading, and it adds to the mood. 

You mostly know my thoughts on this chapter so I won't make this long. A bit disappointed that we had no duel. Full character development chapters are fine, but this early it's good in my view to establish the major protagonists as duelists first.

Favorite characters so far leaning towards Vera and Clarissa. Daisuke and Leon just didn't do much to break away from the mold, even though Daisuke had a duel already. Alexander and Adrienne are generally... alright given the niche they fill in the story. I feel you might want to cut down on their exposition a bit - they already get major scenes when they're clearly going to be put in an antagonistic role initially at least. Hayden was kinda boring. As for Caroline, she isn't impressing me that much, though I think that was actually the point. Clarissa's pretty awesome, though. Gotta love super-perky characters.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll go ahead and address your comments separately.

[spoiler=Liselotte]I'm glad you liked Vera!! Caroline is still pretty bland to me at the moment, but I think her personality will grow soon enough… Vera is one of my favorites, just because she's such a breath of fresh air.

I'll try and keep in mind the comment about the BGM!! Thanks for taking the time to post, stay tuned for Chapter Five![/spoiler]

[spoiler=~ Epic Hero - Saber ~]Yes, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me beforehand. I thought about it long and hard, and decided that with the players I had available at the moment, a Duel wasn't the best way to proceed. If there was ever a character meant to play a sidekick role, it's Clarissa, so I haven't even thought of a Deck for her. It'd probably be something really bubblegum princess, anyways. I want to save Vera's Deck for the tournament, certainly. I also decided that in the meantime I'll go ahead and expand Daisuke and Leon a bit.

It seems like Vera is a popular one, just because she's a bit different I guess? You're pretty spot on though, the characters that people find the most bland/boring are the ones I struggle to write / am the least invested in emotionally.

Thanks for taking the time to post, Ixi![/spoiler]

[spoiler=Chapter Five]===CHAPTER FIVE: The Star Nexus Tournament Begins! / ターン 5:スター・ネクサス・トーナメント、スタート!===

In the days that followed the announcement of the Star Nexus Tournament, life at Neo Duel Academy seemed to adopt a surreal quality, passing in a distorted haze. Classes and meals blended into one another, and even sleep offered little respite from the tension of the waking world.

For better or worse, the selected students had been thrust forcefully into the eyes of the public and every detail of their lives had become general knowledge. As the week wore on, graffiti messages began to appear across the school, proclaiming their support or expressing their disgust for certain students from the most unlikely places.

For Alexander and Adrienne, the King and Queen of Raviel Blue, this was nothing new. On the contrary, they seemed to thrive on the attention, turning more heads than ever as they walked confidently through the hallways. On the other hand, for those who had never suffered public scrutiny, life began to resemble a nightmare.

===

"Ms. Lovelace?"

Caroline blinked slightly as her name was called and turned towards the front of the room, where Professor Elrondale was waiting expectantly with crossed arms. For a moment, a dull roar filled the room as the rain pounded heavily outside.

"Yes, Professor?"

Professor Elrondale sighed and adjusted her glasses, tossing her dark pink locks with an impatient motion. She gestured to the holographic display behind her, an intricate mass of colored arrows attempting to dissect the Spell Speed mechanics of a specific situation.

"I was wondering if you could explain the first three links in this chain," she responded pointedly, in a tone that suggested she was affronted by Caroline's failure to pay close attention.

"Oh! Yes, of course!"

A few muted chuckles broke out across the room as Caroline got to her feet; she blushed furiously but did her best to ignore them, concentrating solely upon the exercise.

"In this case, the first chain is the effect of Harpies' Hunting Ground…"

When she had finished her recital she sat back down gingerly, unsure of whether or not she had interpreted the situation correctly. To her relief, Professor Elrondale nodded curtly in approval before returning to her lecture.

"Well done, although you might also consider the following situations…"

The Professor's voice faded away once more as Caroline's eyes drifted to the gloomy gray sky outside. Her expression softened for a moment as she drank in the soothing sound of the pouring rain.

A muted beep broke her reverie, followed by the sound of a ringing bell. As the rest of the students began to rise and shuffle out of the room, she gazed down at her holopad, the tool that students used to record notes and interact in class. At the top right of the screen, the message icon was flashing faintly.

As she pressed it, the anonymous message expanded to its full size, displaying a surprisingly realistic sketch.

With an unpleasant lurch, Caroline recognized herself, kneeling in the middle of a jeering crowd, hunched over from the stones they were hurling at her. Across from her, a golden crown graced Adrienne's head, viciously beautiful and disdainful in her victory.

A caption scrawled across the bottom of the drawing, inked in large letters: GO HOME, ORPHAN.

Tears dropped one by one onto the surface of the holopad, blurring the cruel illustration. After a moment, she realized they were her own; with shaking hands, she wiped her eyes.

"Caroline…?"

Suddenly Clarissa was by her side, placing a hand on her shoulder with a concerned look. Her eyes drifted towards the screen and hardened, though she said nothing. There was no need for words.

"I'm s-sorry," Caroline said after a moment, trying to regain her composure. She smiled through her tears at her friend. "It's stupid of me to react this way, isn't it?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Clarissa snapped, though her tone was gentler than usual. "They're the stupid ones—Adrienne, Alexander, whoever sent this picture… because you're going to win this tournament, Caroline! I can feel it."

Caroline smiled again, although there was no true warmth to it—clearly, she was trying hard not to cry.

"You have to stay strong," Clarissa continued, returning to her usual bossiness. "Have you prepared your Deck for tomorrow? Let's meet up at the room after class, I know I'm not very good but I can help you practice…"

Caroline nodded her head automatically while Clarissa chattered away, suddenly overwhelmed by how grateful she was at having a friend.

===

As the sun set on the final day before the beginning of the Star Nexus Tournament, the pressure was almost palatable and emotions were running high on all sides. The students had long since divided themselves into distinct groups, each one supporting a different set of Duelists.

Everyone seemed eager to share their opinions: Daisuke and Leon watched bemusedly as complete strangers approached them—urging them to withdraw while they still had the chance—and smiled gratefully when a few of their classmates wished them luck.

"This is really happening, huh?" Daisuke asked a few hours later, leaning against the wall and gazing out the windows towards the night sky. He was clad in an overly large t-shirt and plaid pajama pants with dark socks.

"Of course it's happening," Leon replied nonchalantly. "And about time too!"

Daisuke chuckled as he watched Leon attempt to cross the room, tripping and cursing as he wove haphazardly between piles of clothing and stacks of textbooks.

The two boys shared a second floor room in one of the old buildings cramped into the Uria Red housing complex. It was sparsely furnished—two beds, a single dresser, a narrow closet, and a small fridge. Apparently, the Residence Life Association believed that these accommodations would encourage students to work harder in hopes of obtaining better housing options. Despite the fact that neither the air conditioning or heating ever seemed to work and the shower water was always cold, however, the two boys were fond of the room. It was the only place that they could really call home.

"What's the matter, Dai?" Leon asked, hurling himself forcefully onto the mattress, ignoring its squeal of protest. "Don't tell me you're getting cold feet now? Not after you beat that punk Valerian?"

Daisuke smiled and shook his head. "Nah, it's not that," he answered slowly, shifting on his windowsill perch. "I just can't believe that we're actually here—it almost seems too perfect, if you know what I mean…"

Leon yawned and wrapped himself in several blankets until he resembled a caterpillar swathed in a thick multi-colored cocoon.

"Don't worry about it, man," he replied sleepily, curling his tall frame into a ball and facing the wall. "What does it matter how we got here? Tomorrow is the big day, it's our chance to prove that Uria Red isn't worthless…"

Daisuke nodded his agreement; a moment later, Leon's soft snores filled the room, like waves sweeping in and out of the sea. He looked down silently at the cards in his hand, taking comfort in the fact that his Deck had never failed him yet.

A dazzling flash of movement from the corner of his eye caught his attention; looking back towards the sky, he watched in amazement as the largest shooting star he had ever seen arched across the heavens, it silvery brilliance putting the crescent moon to shame.

Daisuke closed his eyes and tightened his grip on his Deck, making a simple but fervent wish. He waited for a moment, his heart pounding, his mind bursting with the star's light and his ears filled with the sounds of Leon's nocturnal chorus. After a few seconds, he relaxed and stood up, moving about as quietly as possible as he brushed his teeth and prepared for bed.

There was a soft click and then the lights faded slowly, leaving the room in darkness.

===

Almost directly across the campus, deep within the elaborate complex that housed Raviel Blue students, Adrienne was also watching the shooting star. A cool wind picked up as she leaned forward against the railing of the balcony, but she paid it no mind. For once, her dark gaze was soft as she allowed her mind to drift, remember the last time she had seen a shooting star.

Make a wish, Adrienne, a male voice reminded her cheerfully, the sound ringing from the depths of the distant past.

I wish…! came the obedient reply, the childish voice high with excitement and expectation, as if somehow inherently entitled to everything that was wonderful in life.

Adrienne laughed softly in derision and stood from the rail, her blue-black hair rippling in the breeze.

"Wishes are for fools," she hissed, her eyes narrowing as she watched the shooting star disappear over the horizon. "And I don't have time for fools."

The wind began to blow in earnest brow, broken only by the harsh thud as Adrienne returned to her room, slamming the door shut behind her.

===

The air seemed charged with electric anticipation as the sun climbed to its zenith in the sky above Neo Domino City. The crowed streets of the futuristic metropolis were filled with even more pedestrians than usual as Duel Monsters fanatics flooded the city, eager to share in the excitement of the Star Nexus Tournament. Those who were fortunate enough to have purchased tickets had arrived at the stadium hours ago; for those who hadn't, they were left with little choice than to remain, crowding the streets and gazing at the massive holographic displays that flashed from the sides of buildings.

This city has gone crazy! Hayden thought, utterly disapproving as he watched the crowds surge across the streets, their loud cheers wafting ahead of them on the faint breeze.

As the most organized of individuals, Hayden disliked messiness instinctively, and there was no other word suitable for describing the current situation—messy. From somewhere behind him, he heard one of the other students whistle softly in appreciation.

The students were in a circular atrium at the south end of the stadium, scattered across the room in small groups, all of them waiting for the tournament to begin. Wide windows let in the sun and also provided a handy vantage point for observing the crowds below as they gathered, their voices slightly muted through the glass.

Hayden turned away from the window and decided to take the moment to study the other participants without interruption. His blue-gray gaze moved slowly to Daisuke and Leon, glued to windows across the room, sharing awestruck glances. He passed quickly over Vera Leigh, balanced precariously on her chair, a preoccupied expression on her face as she toyed absentmindedly with a dark green tress.

He had expected Caroline Lovelace to tuck herself away in some corner, and there she was—stunningly lovely, yet clearly uncomfortable by her surroundings. He was surprised to see that Raphael had joined her, his trademark cocky smile on his face as he leaned forward and whispered to her. Although Hayden was too far away to hear, he had a pretty good idea what Raphael had said—as he watched, Caroline shook her head, looking down at her lap with painful shyness and embarrassment.

So that just leaves

He looked towards the center table where Alexander and Adrienne were sitting, deep in animated conversation. Despite the pressure and excitement around them, they seemed cool and unruffled, as if utterly certain of their victory.

Although Alexander finally seemed to have opened up a bit, Hayden nevertheless felt goosebumps at the sight of him and the way his cold, shining eyes never seemed to change. Adrienne, on the other hand, must have somehow become aware of Hayden's gaze, for she turned suddenly in her seat and gave a slow smile and a sultry wink.

Hayden blushed furiously and adjusted his glasses automatically.

That just leaves the King and Queen, he concluded, determined more than ever to teach the arrogant pair a lesson for their treachery.

"Good morning, students. Your attention, please."

The students turned as Headmistress Shirayuri entered the room, accompanied by a middle-aged man with a bushy black mustache, dressed in an elaborate suit with coattails, practically bouncing on the balls of his feet in excitement.

"This is Yoshimura Ousuke," the headmistress said, introducing her companion with a graceful nod—as always, she seemed to exude elegance and serenity. "He'll serving as the master of ceremonies and announcer for the first rounds of the Star Nexus Tournament."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, ladies and gentlemen," Yoshimura said, bounding forward, "a real pleasure!"

He waved eagerly at all of them and then bowed deeply. Adrienne rolled her eyes but made no remark, clearly unimpressed by the display.

"It's time for the tournament to begin," Shirayuri continued, smiling faintly at Yoshimura's enthusiasm. "If you will please follow me."

She glided from the room, Yoshimura bouncing at her side, the students trailing behind them.

Headmistress Shirayuri led them through hallway after hallway, past countless closed doors, until it seemed like they were completely lost. Yet some mysterious instinct seemed to guiding her, for she never hesitated.

"Keiko-san," Yoshimura marveled, his dark eyes shining. "After all these years… you still know this place like the back of your hand! I'm impressed!"

"Don't be so quick with your praise," she replied with a smile. "I must have played a hundred matches here, it's no great accomplishment that I still remember how to get around."

She finally came to a halt before one of the closed doors and turned towards the students. Nearby, two tunnels branched off, marked by the inscriptions above each doorway: PLAYER ONE and PLAYER TWO.

"The other participants are waiting inside," she said. "As you may be aware, some of them are previous Academy students. However, alumni or not, all of them are professional Duelists—that means that they'll fight with all their power to secure victory, and I expect you to do the same."

Her gaze softened as she regarded the group and a slightly maternal expression appeared on her features.

"Remember who you are and what you represent," she added. "And take pride in your skills as a Duelist! I wish you all the best of luck."

She swept away while Yoshimura ushered them one by one into the room.

Although he wasn't the first one to enter the room, Hayden immediately scanned the area, taking in the sight of the professional Duelists that would soon become his opponents. Like the students of Neo Duel Academy, they seemed to be a diverse group—young and old, black and white, they appeared to come from all kinds of backgrounds.

"So these are the kids, huh?"

The voice came from the far end of the room, where a muscular woman was leaning against the wall, a playful smile on her face. She was tall with beautiful black skin and violet eyes, her braided hair held back in a ponytail under a rakishly tilted cap.

Hayden blinked as he recognized Sasha Alterre, a former Raviel Blue and one of the most popular players in the professional league. At her side was an elegant man with long dark hair clad in a gray suit with a maroon cravat, scribbling furiously into a sketchpad—Edgar de Boit, the gentleman Duelist.

"That depends who's asking," Alexander replied coolly, crossing his arms. "You seem awfully young to be calling us kids."

Sasha's smile widened while one of the older men burst in laughter, roaring at the boy's nerve. At his side, a heavy-browed youth scowled in disapproval.

"You'd better watch out, Sasha," the first man chuckled, pulling on his gray-streaked beard, "that one means business!"

General McLagger, Hayden thought, recognizing the man from some of the matches he had watched as a child many years ago. Out of retirement, perhaps?

He continued his examination of the room, although he wasn't able to identify any of the other Duelists.

In addition to the sullen youth, there was was a petite young woman with porcelain skin and a high-collared, short sleeved red dress in the Chinese style, embroidered in gold. She appeared to be ignoring the newcomers, and was deep in conversation with a jovial, flame-haired young man. To the side, a veil-shrouded figure waved in a friendly manner, although only her dark eyes were visible, dancing with amusement. Finally, in the far corner of the room, three men sat in stony silence. One of them was extremely muscular with pale blond hair, clad in a black trench coat, his eyes obscured behind a pair of deep blue glasses. The other two were even more mysterious than the veiled woman, for they wore black robes and hoods that completely obscured their faces.

An odd looking bunch, if there ever was one, Hayden thought dismissively, annoyed that his results had proven less than conclusive. Despite their eccentric attire, however, it was clear that winning this tournament wouldn't be easy.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Yoshimura said, clearing his throat rather pompously, "if you would please attend to me."

The master of ceremonies flourished his arms grandly, the holographic projectors that served as his cufflinks blinking into life. A square window appeared before the group, hovering in midair, displaying the names of the sixteen participants.

"If you have no objections," he continued, twiddling his mustache once more, "I will now begin the selection process. Randomizer, activate!"

With a mechanized beeping, the display came to life, the names flashing across its surface almost too quickly to be read. Hayden blinked, slightly dizzy from trying to keep up.

"And… STOP!!"

With a final beep, the randomizer came to a halt, tracing golden lines between the two Duelists that would participate in the first match.

LEON DREIDT vs. SASHA ALTERRE

The students turned as one towards Leon, who seemed rather paler than usual, if determined. His spiky dark hair bristled as he gazed across the room at Sasha, who stretched luxuriously like a cat.

"Looks like we're up," she said, flashing him a cocky smile in anticipation.

The two left the room together, although Daisuke managed to flash his friend a thumbs-up as they passed. Meanwhile, the remaining students seated themselves, only too aware of the eyes upon them.

This is certainly an interesting start, Hayden observed, watching the screens that dominated the walls of the room, displaying the sunlit stage at the heart of the stadium. He was determined to play close attention to all of the matches—it was never too early to start formulating strategies for future rounds.

Raphael, on the other hand, seemed to have reached a different conclusion.

"A Uria slacker against a former Raviel?" he yawned loudly, kicking his legs onto the table in front of him. "That's a no-brainer, wake me up when it's over, will you?"

Daisuke smiled at Raphael, although his brown eyes seemed to radiate intensity.

"Trust me," he said, "Leon's got a power that's entirely his own. He's going to fight for Uria Red with everything he's got… You won't want to miss a second of this."

===

Leon's steps seemed to echo unnaturally loudly as he walked down the tunnel towards the center of the stadium, his thoughts racing in anticipation of the battle that lay ahead. In spite of the confident attitude he displayed with Daisuke earlier, he was still much nervous than he would have cared to admit.

With a start, he came to the end of the tunnel, a smooth blank wall. He gazed at it in confusion for a moment, utterly nonplussed, before the floor beneath sprung into motion.

Leon muffled a yelp as the platform spiraled upwards at an alarming speed, raising him through the opening in the ceiling. When it came to a halt, he was standing at one end of the stage, while Sasha waved mockingly at him from the other.

The roars of the crowd engulfed him like a wave, echoing from all sides as hundreds of spectators cheered for their favorites, packed tightly in the stands. Leon straightened instinctively at the sound of crowd, feeling his blood surge in response. Although his nervousness hadn't vanished completely, he felt it being tempered by another feeling he knew very well—the burning desire to Duel.

"EVERYBODY, LISTEN~!!"

Magnified tenfold by the stadium's elaborate speaker system, Yoshimura's voice echoed throughout the arena, cutting over the low roar of the crowds.

"The first match of the Star Nexus Tournament will now begin!" he announced. "Leon Dreidt against Sasha Alterre! Duelists, take your positions!"

"I won't go easy on you just because you're a girl," Leon called to Sasha, sliding his Deck into his Duel Disk. "I'm playing for real!"

"That's mighty sweet of you, precious," Sasha crooned in reply, clearly unimpressed. "But don't do me any favors. You'll need all of your lessons if you want to play against me!!"

"DUEL!" they cried, as their Life Points soared to 4000.

===

AUTHOR'S Notes: Alright everyone, thanks for your patience! I'm sure some of you are getting a bit annoyed by the story's slow pace, but I tell you—good things come to those who wait! I wanted to take some time to describe the tense atmosphere at Neo Duel Academy and provide a bit more characterization for Caroline. But finally, it's time—the stage is set, in other words! I'm really happy to announce that the Star Nexus Tournament has begun, and from now on, we'll be seeing loads more action and fast-paced development, starting with a match between Leon and Sasha. I'm looking forward to the chance to narrate Leon exclusively and establish him as a character completely separate from Daisuke. Stay posted for the next chapter and please sound off in the comments below![/spoiler]

Archived