WRPGs and JRPGs

Let's get these out of the way, shall we?

tumblr_lpdor36uvA1r0k7gzo1_500.jpg

2uxztbs.jpg

About_RPGs.jpeg

So YCM, let's talk about RPGs.

Namely the two main classifications.

JRPGs where you play as some guy in an epic adventure and WRPGs where you play as some guy generally making your own epic adventure.  Though I personally prefer WRPGs when I'm at home, I none the less enjoy playing JRPGs on my DSi, DSIXL, and 3DS.  If you're wondering why the fuck I have so many DSes, it's because my family thought it was a great idea to hand me broken DSes.

There are many differences between the two.  Namely the tones.  Generally speaking, JRPGs are much more colorful and hopeful in tone. Not to mention it tend to focus on variants on turn based strategies.  While most WRPGs are more realistic and tend to be more grim.  In addition, they focus more on letting the players decide what to do and how they do it.  Combat wise, they give freedom of motion to players and allow them to do the awesome maneuvers.  

And let's not forget the stereotypes.

JRPGs are more railroaded and have cookie cutter characters while WRPGs have weak story which just serves as an excuse for players to shoot shit up.  And all that nonsense.

While I liked the earlier Final Fantasy, some of the Phantasy Star games, loving SMT Strange Journey and the Devil Survivor series, laughing and enjoying the SRW:OG:EF series, and not to mention being introduced to the Dragonquest series, I still find in my heart, that I cannot put them over and stop loving the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, D&D, Planescape, Bioshock, and DOWII series due to the fact I'm given so much more freedom and some of the stories are amazing.  While you're allowed to explore in the earlier games for FF, and given free reign in Dragonquest, SMT, and other series, it's just not as much freedom as in most other WRPGs.  

I know some of the points I've brought up may be wrong but this is merely what I understand and you can freely explain to me why I'm wrong.

The main problem is that there doesn't really exist any WRPGs, only games with RPG elements. If you want to define an RPG by a genre, it should stay in one, not split into something else, which is why the term Action RPG exists for things like Secret of Mana and what not. Fallout is a tactical shooter (from what I have seen) and 3 is a FPS, they just happen to have elements in them that are like an RPG. I do like both, though I find that many RPGs are just the same old, save the world from the bad guy, also this guy is a sad emo character, this chick is the love interest, though I'm stereotyping, and there's surely problems like that in WRPGs as well, but they're typically way more involved. It probably has to do with what RPGs are targeting, anime loving Japanese people, and WRPGs can be pretty much anything, I mean, you had the example of the Star Wars game, that's something that you would never see from Japan. That's another problem I have, there are no real western RPGs, at least not anything worth noting. There're indie games, sure, but almost all RPGs are made in the east, which I find pretty sad. That's just my two cents though, feel free to disagree.

I like how this blissfully ignores the fact Shin Megami Tensei exists, a JRPG series practicially built on Moral Choices.

But what about SMT and the Devil Survivor series which I mentioned?

While I agree, SMT does give an unusual amount of freedom compared to other JRPGs in regard to the story.  Plus don't you dare spoil the endings for Devil Survivor for me.

The main problem is that there doesn't really exist any WRPGs, only games with RPG elements. If you want to define an RPG by a genre, it should stay in one, not split into something else, which is why the term Action RPG exists for things like Secret of Mana and what not. Fallout is a tactical shooter (from what I have seen) and 3 is a FPS, they just happen to have elements in them that are like an RPG. I do like both, though I find that many RPGs are just the same old, save the world from the bad guy, also this guy is a sad emo character, this chick is the love interest, though I'm stereotyping, and there's surely problems like that in WRPGs as well, but they're typically way more involved. It probably has to do with what RPGs are targeting, anime loving Japanese people, and WRPGs can be pretty much anything, I mean, you had the example of the Star Wars game, that's something that you would never see from Japan. That's another problem I have, there are no real western RPGs, at least not anything worth noting. There're indie games, sure, but almost all RPGs are made in the east, which I find pretty sad. That's just my two cents though, feel free to disagree.

So Brutal Legend isn't an RPG?

The same with Mass Effect?

Also you've forgotten Baldur's Gate, Ultima, and mutha fucking the original Fallout series.

While I agree, SMT does give an unusual amount of freedom compared to other JRPGs in regard to the story.  Plus don't you dare spoil the endings for Devil Survivor for me.

<Devil Survivor

I was more talking about Nocturne/Lucifer's Call, Persona, Digital Devil Saga and Devil Summoner, but okay.

But what about SMT and the Devil Survivor series which I mentioned?

So Brutal Legend isn't an RPG?

The same with Mass Effect?

Also you've forgotten Baldur's Gate, Ultima, and mutha fucking the original Fallout series.

Brutal Legend, as with all of Double Fine's titles, is all kinds of things, but it surely isn't an RPG, it's more of like hack and slash with RTS and RPG elements.

Brutal Legend, as with all of Double Fine's titles, is all kinds of things, but it surely isn't an RPG, it's more of like hack and slash with RTS elements.

Okay, I'll give you that, but you can't deny that WRPGs had some pure RPGs.  Plus they were pretty damn good.... For their time.

Then again, I still wanna play Planescape and D&D.

Okay, I'll give you that, but you can't deny that WRPGs had some pure RPGs.  Plus they were pretty damn good.... For their time.

Then again, I still wanna play Planescape and D&D.

I say it again, there are exceptions, there are also exceptions of JRPGs that are like WRPGs, such as Demon Souls. I havn't played the other examples, but I know that Mass Effect is more like 3rd person shooter with RPG elements.

I actually remember a thing that Clan of the Gray Wolf made which he talked about how JRPGs wouldn't even exist without Ultima I think it was. It's interesting to think that we get the ideas from JRPGs, when in reality, it's actually more the other way around.

I say it again, there are exceptions, there are also exceptions of JRPGs that are like WRPGs, such as Demon Souls. I havn't played the other examples, but I know that Mass Effect is more like 3rd person shooter with RPG elements.

While I agree with you there, for some reason, I still believe Mass Effect 1 and 2 along with the "new" Fallout games to still be RPGs in some ways.  Hell, I've felt I've done more impressive things and had a much more fun and fulfilling journey in New Vegas then I've done with playing Dragon Quest 9.

And don't get me started on my feelings between Morrowind and the new FF games.

I believe that we can all agree, Square fucked up on the newer games.

While I agree with you there, for some reason, I still believe Mass Effect 1 and 2 along with the "new" Fallout games to still be RPGs in some ways.  Hell, I've felt I've done more impressive things and had a much more fun and fulfilling journey in New Vegas then I've done with playing Dragon Quest 9.

And don't get me started on my feelings between Morrowind and the new FF games.

I believe that we can all agree, Square fucked up on the newer games.

Well, you can feel how you feel like what an RPG is, but to me, it means that there's a turn based system, if there isn't and it's more action RPG like Secret of Mana or Terranigma, then it's still an RPG, just an action RPG, if it's more like a FPS, it will just have elements from it. And yes, Square has messed up a lot, no doubt about that.

If this is right, then Squeenix should try making WRPG-style Final Fantasy games.

Personally, I prefer SRPGs since there seems to be less cutscenes hindering the game, and the ones present are 3 minutes max.

SRPGs? What the heck is that?

I also want to say something in regard to my view on what an RPG is. The new Batman games. They have leveling up, choosing what to upgrade. So that's an RPG? It's shallow yes, but if we're going by what some say is an RPG, that would also be one like that.

I also want to talk MMOs when we're at it, that's something western devolopers are better at than the Japanese, at least IMO.

[quote name="Comrade Tentacruel" post="6204981" timestamp="1369069024"]jRPG's by far.   WRPG's are becoming more and more bland, just action games with a level up system and the ability to kill NPC's and/or choose which party member you bang. [/quote] So what's the new amazing thing JRPGs do? I don't disagree that most WRPGs have that problem, but really the other part is just as guilty.

So what's the new amazing thing JRPGs do? I don't disagree that most WRPGs have that problem, but really the other part is just as guilty.

Well, there are a ton of terrible JRPG's, but most of the bland repetitive moe trash never even makes it out of Japan, so I honestly don't know why people complain.

But to name a few,

Persona, Pokemon, Tales, Xenoblade, Ni No Kuni, Etrian Odyssey. 

Mother series is notable for its real-time HP/PP gauges, which allows one to make moves before they die/run out.  When Mother 4 is released (the fan-game that happens to be a JRPG despite the fan group being American), it would only expand this situation by having "Last Stand", which significantly strengthens a character, plus the ability to use PSI if your character is low on PSI (as long as the meter is rolling).  I find that to be quite an awesome situation to have.

Archived