Protector of the Players (Trading Card Game)

Zazubat

1373541674-logo-potp-net.png

Image credit goes to Wira'

This is the discussion page for my TCG "Protector of the Players", as well as rules and every card to date.

Here you can discuss the game, discuss what should be changed, suggestions and so on. Below you can find all the rules, and all the current cards are in the card list at the bottom.

If you wish to make your own cards, I would be more than happy to see them. To not spam this thread with cards, I suggest that you post them in Other TCGs. If you choose to do so, use the title "[POP]" so I can easily find them as I would be happy to view your cards, also, as a bonus, anybody whose card I like will get a rep/like as well. Also, if you are intending for new rules/mechanics, be sure to ask me first if those are what I intend to have or not.

Rules and preparations for the start of the duel:

1. Deck must contain 45-60 cards.

2. Shuffling is required before start.

3. Find out who starts the game.

4. Both players put the top 5 cards of their deck face down on the Field.

5. Both players draw 5 cards.

Draw Phase:

At the Draw Phase, you simply draw 1 card. No further rules so far.

Hold Phase:

The Hold Phase is divided into 2 sections. The First Section and the Second Section. In the First Section effects that end here will do so. You choose yourself when to end these, unless the card states otherwise. The turn player is always the first player to perform actions. Then the second player when ALL of their actions they wish to do is done. The second section is where you preform optional effects.

Main Phase 1:

At the Main Phase 1, you are allowed to play cards to the Field. This includes: Monsters, One Time Use Ability Cards, Infinity Ability Cards and Infinity Trap Ability Cards. You are allowed to play 1 monster to the Field a turn. You can also play it during your Main Phase 2. You play monsters in either Attacking State or Defending State. You do so by putting it with the picture-side face up. Attacking State is vertically with the name pointing at your opponent. Defending State is turning the card 90 degrees to the left so it is horizontal. One Time Use Ability Cards are first put on the Field, then, after you have used the effect stated on the card, you put it in the Cemetery. The Cemetery acts like the Graveyard from Yu-Gi-Oh, and monsters go here as well after being destroyed. Infinity Ability Cards and Infinity Trap Ability Cards stay on the Field forever until they are either destroyed, their effects don’t allow them on the Field anymore, or removed otherwise. Trap Ability Cards must be first placed face down, but you cannot do this before Main Phase 2. Main Phase 2 has other things to mention to it as well, but we’ll get to those when we do. Also, only Trap Ability Cards can be face down, no other cards can, except if they are turned face down by other effects. This includes monsters as well.

Attack Phase:

At the Attack Phase, you are allowed to attack. Either on other monsters, or if there’re no monsters, on 1 of the opponent’s Protector Cards. Both players have 5, though more can be added as well. Only monsters in Attacking State can attack. If a monster attacks a monster in Attacking State or Defending State, when that card is destroyed, it is sent to the Cemetery. If the monster has the same Attacking Stats as the opponent’s monster’s Attacking Stats or Defending Stats, both will be destroyed and sent to the Cemetery. If you attack a Protector Card, that card will be put in a special zone called the Protector Zone, but more about that later. You cannot attack on the first turn, and only each monster is only allowed 1 attack per turn, unless stated otherwise.

Main Phase 2:

You can do the same things here as in Main Phase 1, but here you can also place Trap Ability Cards to the Field, and you can make a monster which you own on the Field into a Protector Card. You can only do this on the second turn it has been on the Field though. You also cannot put Token monsters as Protector Cards. You can only put 1 per turn, and when you do, you need to shuffle the Protector Cards on the Field so you don’t know which you put down. More to be said about Protector Cards later though.

End Phase:

Here you simply end your turn, nothing more about this right now.

Monsters:

Monsters have Attacking Stats and Defending Stats. This is represented by the 2 numbers at the bottom of the card, ranging from 0 to 10.000. Monsters also have Ranks. These go from 1-5 (maybe even higher at some point). Read more about Ranks below. You are allowed as many monsters on the Field at once as you wish. There’s also no need to order the cards right. You are only allowed to play 1 monster per turn, but there is something called an extra play. This is basically Special Summons from Yu-Gi-Oh, and you can have as many as you wish for per turn, as long as you got the cards for it. Monsters that were played as an extra play may not change their State until your next turn. Lastly, most monsters have Families. Almost all monsters have these, even some Token Monsters. Monsters are allowed multiple Families, and a common trait is that it includes a part of their name in it. An example would be “Burning Magician” which is a Magician Family monster, but NOT a Burning Family monster.

Ranks:

All monsters have Ranks. This includes Tokens as well. Ranks go from 1-5. During either of your Main Phases, you are allowed to play 1 monster and only 1 monster per turn (unless you are allowed to play an extra monster by an effect). Monsters at Rank 1 can always be played without what is called offering. Rank 2s can be played by offering ANY monster, either it be Rank 1 or Rank 5. Rank 3 and above require a Rank 1 lower than it for it to be played, so that would be a Rank 2. BUT, you can also play it by playing two Rank 1s, OR by offering any Rank higher than itself (that being Rank 3) or higher. That is the same case for Rank 4 as well, you need to offer a Rank 3, or two Rank 2s, or three Rank 1s. You can also use multiple of different Ranks. Say we want a Rank 5. I have a Rank 1 and a Rank 3 to offer. That adds up to 4. As before, you must offer one monster with a Rank 1 lower than it or higher, so you want to add up the Ranks. 1+3=4. So you can use those. Its not always needed to have the exact Rank, offering more than you need is not a bad thing if you can bring out the big guys, just make sure that you Ranks add up to at least 1 below that card's Rank, or higher, then you're good to go.

At first, how to play monsters with Ranks may confuse you a little, so I hope I explained it well enough. If you are still confused, I would be happy to try to re-explain it for you.

Another way I could try to explain it is with monsters. Say we have the monster "Tiny Offering: Monkey", which is a Rank 1 monster, we own on the Field. I have "Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey", which is a Rank 2 monster, in my hand. I can now offer that monster, and by doing so, it is sent to the Cemetery. Also, "Tiny Offering: Monkey's" effect will activate at this point, so I get to draw a card. I now have a Rank 2 monster on the Field. Let's skip ahead to my next turn. I have "Ultimate Offering: Max the Monkeys! Monkey Monkey Monkey!", which is a Rank 3 monster, in my hand. If I had played another "Tiny Offering: Monkey" from my hand during my last turn, I could have used those two monsters as offerings for this card (both are Rank 1. 1+1=2). But, I have a Rank 2 monster on the Field. I offer that monster, since its Rank is 2 and this card's Rank is 3, I can now play this guy from my hand. "Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey's" effect also activates at this point, so I draw 2 cards.

Ability Cards (and other stuff I don’t know where else to fit):

As said before, there’re 4 kinds. One Time Use, Infinity, Trap, Infinity Trap. I have gone over these already, so read the Main Phase 1 for all you need to know. I suppose I could mention here how you are allowed to have 4 of each card in your deck, you have unlimited hand and Field, dice and such are also a part of the game.  Also, about draws, if 1 is to make a draw, if it is by somehow making it so both players end up with 6 or more in the Death Zone at once, find a way to randomly choose a winner. Also, if both players have no more cards left in their deck, the game doesn’t end until nobody can make a move of any kind (also, if there’re any loops, the player performing the loop must stop) and then both must compare who has the most cards in the Death Zone, and the person who has the most lose the game, if it’s equal, then it’s a draw. If you know that you cannot play a card, then you are not allowed to play it. This doesn't include cards that look through your deck (since some cards might be Protector Cards), though if you have no Protector Cards left, you are not allowed to look through your deck. If you don't find any proper card, then the card simply fails its effect, and is sent to the Cemetery or where it might go/stay after using the effect.

Cemetery:

As said, this works like the Graveyard from Yu-Gi-Oh. After monsters are destroyed and cards are destroyed or sent to the Cemetery from the hand, deck etc. it is not possible to play them, unless cards state you can.

Expelled Zone:

Cards can also be Expelled. Cards which are Expelled are first face up, but during YOUR (the owner of the Expelled card) next Hold Phase, all cards which are still face up (known as “not fully Expelled”) are turned face down and cannot be used for the rest of the duel. There’re no cards, and the intention for there to be no cards which in any way would return or turn these face up again, and are meant to eliminate cards with might be powerful completely from the game after a certain use.

Protector Cards:

So, you are probably still wondering, what are these Protector Cards? You know that when you attack, you lose 1 of these, but what happens then? First, you put these cards in what is known as the Protector Zone. Here, you can at any point during your Main Phase (or if the card states it can be used at other points) use their alternate effect by putting it in the Death Zone. Yes, I said alternate, as ALL cards have 1 effect which is never applied until they are in the Protector Zone. The Death Zone, is as it is named, your form of life. When you have 6 or more cards in here, you lose the game. As said before, you can earn more cards by making Protector Cards, but it might end up backfiring since you might end up losing too many cards you cannot use anymore. Also, when your opponent attacks while you have no Protector Cards left, you put 1 (or more if a card says so) in the Death Zone from the Protector Zone.

Rules in regards to responding to effects:

When both you can your opponent wishes to respond with a card to an effect, you must follow these rules:

1.The player who first activated the effect may not respond to it, your opponent must have a chance first, then you get your chance.

2.The opponent cannot respond to anything before "you are allowed", but at any point where they could, they can now respond. Then if that effect isn't related and wouldn't make the effect fail, you continue with the rest of the effect.

Example: Let's take “Fat Kid's" Protector Effect. It states this:

"By sending 1 Fat Family monster from your hand to the Cemetery and by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to look through your deck and by showing 1 Fat Family monster to your opponent, you are allowed to put that card in your hand. Shuffle your deck after this effect's use."

Let's say your opponent activates a Trap Ability Card that states that you cannot look through your deck, then you if you have no cards that can respond to that, you must stop before the first "you are allowed". Let's say they don't have one right now, so you continue up to the next "you are allowed", and again they are allowed to activate a card here if they wish, either related or not, so let's say they activate a card that sends a random card from your deck to the Cemetery. In this case, you must put that card back in the deck so it can be random, then if that card isn't sent to the Cemetery, you continue, otherwise, you don't add and you stop from there on (there isn't more anyway, but if there was, you cannot continue).

3. If your opponent then activated a card, then you can now activate cards in response to that card, and again, it doesn’t need to be related, but you do need to have a point that states "you are allowed", or in case there isn't any, then that probably means it doesn't activate beyond when it is played, so you are allowed to activate cards in response right after a cost has been made (if any). This can be seen on "Live To Tell The Tale's" Normal Effect, which states:

“By picking up and showing to your opponent 1 monster you own on the Field, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle this turn by a monster in the opposite State as that card.”

Here, you can see that there is no "you are allowed". In this case, you respond to the whole card instead, and the effect is not applied until your cards are done being applied, related or not.

If the card says "must", then that also follows the same rules as "allowed", but the player may not choose to not preform it, and they must also do it in the order of which it states (this is also the case of optional, you may not jump around in the effects as you please).

If multiple of your effects effects activate at the same time (or wish to activate at the same time), then you must choose which order to activate them in. Say we have "Tiny Offering: Monkey" and "Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey". Both must activate at the same time. You choose to have "Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey" resolve first. Your opponent chooses not to do anything, and so you draw 2 cards. Your other card may not activate in response to this effect, it must activate separately. What if your opponent had a card that activates at this time as well? Let's "Tiny Offering: Monkey" again, and "You Forgot Something!". You offer your monster, and at this time, since it is your turn, your monster must activate its effect first. When it has resolved, your opponent's card activates, and you send a card to the Cemetery. If you have multiple effects, and your opponent also has multiple effects, then yours must all resolve before your opponent's cards does. You must do mandatory first. Then, your opponent must do their mandatory after that, then your optional, then your opponent's optional.

Defending:

Defending is a certain ability some monsters have (or an Ability Card that gives a monster the effect to Defend). When another monster you own on the Field is being attacked, depending on what the card says, it can Defend if it is in Defending State. This is not an effect that can be responded to, and you simpy Defend with that monster instead of the other monster. When you do this, all your opponent's monster that have not attacked yet may attack that monster. However, unlike at other times if your opponent's monster had 1500 Attacking Stats, and your had 2000 Defending Stats, normally, your opponent's monster would be destroyed from this. However, this is not the case. You simply subtract the amount instead. So its Defending Stats become 500 instead. Then your opponnet may attack with another monsters that have not attacked. If they do not deplete the Defending Stats completely, or your opponnet chooses not to attack with anymore of their monsters, you may choose 1 of those monsters that attack and destroy it (this is considered being destroyed by battle). If your opponnet does manage to make it 0 or less, that monster is destroyed, and ALL those monsters may attack again. Also, if that monster is somehow destroyed by an effect, then they do not get their attacks back. Same goes if its turned face down or removed otherwise. If your Defending monster is not destroyed, afterwards, its Defending Stats return to the same it had before Defending, and you may be able to Defend again if the card allows you to.

Card Examples:

Below is an example of how a monster and ability card could look. First, there's the name on the top, then comes what kind of card it is below it, to the right of it, is what Family it is, then to the right of that is the Rank of the card. Then, there's image. Then, two effects, a Normal Effect, and below it, a Protector Effect in a box for itself. Then below that are 2 boxes, one for Attacking Stats (Written AS for short on the card) and one for Defending Stats (Written DS for short on the card) with the values of that card. For Ability Cards, there is no Family or Rank on them, they have a different color then monsters, and they have no AS or DS, and the box is larger. The quotation marks are not intended to be on the actual cards, and the cards will all not have the same font for name, Card Type/Family/Rank, effect and Stats, nor will they be in bold for that matter.

Armored Guardian

Monster/Guardian Family/Rank 3

(Image)

Normal Effect:

"Is this card played to the Field without failure? Then, you are allowed to destroy 1 Protector Card your opponent owns on the Field. This monster cannot be removed from the Field by your opponent's effects that affect this specific monster only."

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to search through your Deck, and by showing 1 "Armored Guardian" to your opponent, you are allowed to put that card in your hand, also you are allowed to play "Armored Guardian" from your hand with 1 less offering than required until your next Hold Phase."

3000 Attacking Stats/3000 Defending Stats

“Live To Tell The Tale”

One Time Use Ability Card

(Image)

Normal Effect:

“By picking up and showing to your opponent 1 monster you own on the Field, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle this turn by a monster in the opposite State as that card.”

Protector Effect:
"During either player's Attack Phase, by putting this card in the Death Zone, monsters cannot be destroyed by battle until the next Hold Phase."

[spoiler=Card List. Currently 26 Cards. Last updated 26.07.13 with the card(s) "You Forgot Something!"]

[spoiler=Cards from the “Fat” Family (Currently 8 Cards in this Family. Last updated 16.07.13 with the card "Fat Grandma"]

Monsters

“Fat Baby”

Monster/Fat Family/Rank 1

Normal Effect:

“Is this card played to the Field without failure? Then, you are allowed to put 1 Fat Coin on this card or on a Fat Family monster you own on the Field. Is your opponent using an effect of a Protector Card? Then by removing 1 Fat Coin from this card, you are allowed to negate that effect. You are only allowed to use this effect of this specific card once a turn. Is this card made a Protector Card from the Field when it had a Fat Coin on it? Then, you are allowed to move all Fat Coins from this card to a Fat Family monster you own on the Field.”

Protector Effect:

“By putting this card in your Death Zone, you are allowed to put 1 Fat Coin on all Fat Family monsters you control, also they gain 500 in Attacking Stats for each Fat Coin on them until your next Hold Phase.”

Attacking Stats 1500/Defending Stats 1000

“Fat Kid”

Monster/Fat Family/Rank 1

Normal Effect:

“Do you control another Fat Family monster not named “Fat Kid”? Then by sending 1 Fat Family monster from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to put 1 Fat Coin on each Fat Family monster you own on the Field, also if you own a monster on the Field with the same name as the monster you sent, you are allowed to draw 1 card”

Protector Effect:

"By sending 1 Fat Family monster from your hand to the Cemetery and by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to look through your deck and by showing 1 Fat Family monster to your opponent, you are allowed to put that card in your hand. Shuffle your deck after this effect's use."

1800 Attacking Stats/1000 Defending Stat

“Fat Mama”

Monster/Fat Family/Rank 2

Normal Effect:

“By destroying 1 Fat Family monster with a Fat Coin on it or by destroying 1 of your Protector Cards and putting it in the Protector Zone, this card you own on the Field is allowed to attack 1 more time on a Protector Card during the next Attack Phase if it attacked a Protector Card in that Attack Phase. You are only allowed to use this effect of this specific card once a turn.”

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone and by picking up and showing 1 Fat Family monster with a Fat Coin you own on the Field to your opponent, that monster is allowed to attack 1 more time on a Protector Card during the next Attack Phase if it attacked a Protector Card in that Attack Phase. You cannot use this effect if that monster is already affected by the Normal Effect of "Fat Mama". You are only allowed to this effect of "Fat Mama" once a turn.

2500 Attacking Stats/2000 Defending Stats

"Fat Grandma"

Monster/Fat Family/Rank 2

Normal Effect:

"Is this card played to the Field without failure? Then, you can activate 1 of these these effects: 1. By removing 2 Fat Coins from monsters you own on the Field, you are allowed to play an extra "Fat Grandma" from your hand without offering, but it cannot activate its effects. 2. By sending Fat Family monsters you own on the Field to the Cemetery, you are allowed to send half the amount of cards send from your opponent's hand to the Cemetery + 1 more for each card you sent that had a Fat Coin on it. If you use this effect, you must not have attacked prior to this effect, and you are not allowed to attack for the rest of the turn, except for monsters your opponent owns on the Field in Defending State.

Protector Effect:
"By putting this card in the Death Zone and by picking up and showing 1 Fat Family monster in your Cemetery, you are allowed to shuffle that card into the deck. During your next Draw Phase after this card was put in the Death Zone, if there are not multiple "Fat Grandma" in your Death Zone, instead of drawing from your deck as you would have done normally, by turning this card face down and by looking through you deck and showing your opponent 1 Fat Family monster, you are allowed to put that card in your hand."

2000 Attacking Stats/1900 Defending Stats

“Fat Dad”

Monster/Fat Family/Rank 3

Normal Effect:

"By removing 4 Fat Coins monsters you own on the Field, you are allowed to destroy all monsters your opponent owns on the Field. If you use this effect, you must not have attacked prior to this effect, and you are not allowed to attack for the rest of the turn."

Protector Effect:

“Is this card destroyed as a Protector Card by battle? Then, you are allowed to add the following text to this card until your next Hold Phase: You can also use the effect of this specific card that states: “By putting this card in the Death Zone…” at any point during either player’s turn, except the Hold Phase.” By putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to draw 1 card, then, you are allowed to put 1 Fat Coin on 1 Fat Family monster you own on the Field.”

3200 Attacking Stats/2700 Defending Stats

Ability Cards

“Fat Frenzy”

Normal Effect:

“By picking up and showing 1 Fat Family monster you own on the Field to your opponent, that monster gains 1000 in Attacking Stats and if it destroys a monster your opponent owns on the Field, you are allowed to put 1 Fat Coin on it until your next Hold Phase”

Protector Effect:

“Is this card destroyed as a Protector Card by battle? Then, you are allowed to add the following text to this specific card until the Hold Phase of your next turn: “You can also use the effect of that states “By putting this card in the Death Zone…” during the Attack Phase.” By putting this card in the Death Zone and by picking up and showing 1 Fat Family monster you own on the Field to your opponent that monster gains 1500 in Attacking Stats and if it destroys a monster your opponent owns on the Field, you are allowed to put 1 Fat Coin on it until the start of your next Hold Phase.”

“Fat Removal”

Normal Effect:

“By removing 2 or more Fat Coins from Fat Family monsters you own on the Field, you are allowed to play an extra Fat Family monster from your hand whose Rank is equal to the number of Fat Coins removed by offering 1 Fat Family monster instead of the normal amount required.”

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone and by offering 1 monster you own on the Field, you are allowed to play an extra Fat Family monster from your hand, also if the monster you offered had Fat Coins on it, you are allowed to play that extra Fat Family monster Rank 2 or higher Fat Family monster with less offerings equal to the number of Fat Coins that was on that card (if 1 or below, no offering is required to play that monster)."

“Fat Chance”

Trap Ability Card

Normal Effect:

“Is your opponent attacking while they own 1 Ability Card on the Field and you control a Fat Family monster? Then you are allowed to negate that attack and end the Attack Phase, then, you are allowed to reset that monster's Attacking Stats to their original value if that monster's Attacking Stats have been changed.”

Protector Effect:

"Is your opponent attacking a Fat Family monster you own on the Field? Then by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to negate that attack and end the Attack Phase, then, you are allowed to reset them to their original value if that monster's Attacking Stats have been changed."

Rulings to “Fat Chance”:

1. If a card has an effect which continuously increases that card’s Attacking Stats, then it will be reset to the original value written on the card, but it will immediately go to what value that is. An example of this would be “Technical Magician” which increases it’s Attacking Stats by 300, but since that is a continuous effect, it will gain that regardless of what “Fat Chance” does to it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Cards from the “Magician” Family. Currently 6 Cards in this Family. Last updated 16.07.13 with the card "Returning Rock Magician"]

“Burning Magician”

Monster/Magician Family/Rank 1

Normal Effect:

“Is this card played to the Field in Defending State without failure? Then, you are allowed to look through your deck and by showing 1 Ability Card with “Magician” in its name, you are allowed to put that card in your hand, but you cannot play it this turn. Shuffle your deck after using this effect”

Protector Effect:

“Is this card destroyed as a Protector Card by battle? Then, you are allowed to skip the following text until your next Hold Phase: “The next time it becomes your opponent’s Attack Phase”. By putting this card in the Death Zone, the next time it becomes your opponent’s Attack Phase, when your opponent’s monster destroys a Protector Card you control, you are allowed to put all monsters your opponent owns on the Field in Defend State. That monster can also not change itself to Attack State, and your opponent cannot change that monster's State with cards.”

Attacking Stats 1600/Defending Stats 1600

“Technician Magician”

Monster/Magician Family/Rank 1

Normal Effect:

"This card gains 300 in Attacking Stats for each Magician Family in both players’ Death Zone and Excelled Zone. Are you attacking an opponent’s monster with this card? Then by sending 1 monster from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to have this card gain Attacking Stats equal to half of that monster’s Attacking Stats until your opponent’s next Hold Phase.”

Protector Effect:

“Was a Magician Family monster you owned on the Field destroyed by battle and is it your Hold Phase? By putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to pick up 1 Magician Family monster you owned on the Field that was destroyed by battle the last turn and remained in the Cemetery, and play this extra Token monster named Magician Token (Magician Family & Rank of the same Rank as the Expelled monster & Attacking Stats equal to the Attacking Stats and Defending Stats of the Expelled monster).”

Attacking Stats 1700/Defending Stats 1500

"Returning Rock Magician"

Monster/Magician Family/Rank 2

Normal Effect:

"Is this card played to the Field without offering? Then, this card must gain 500 Defending Stats. Was this card send from the hand to the Cemetery? Then, you are allowed to draw 1 card, and by sending that card to the Cemetery, you are allowed to play this from the Cemetery in Defending State. You are only allowed to play 1 "Returning Rock Magician" this way per turn. Is your opponent attacking another Magician Family monster you own on the Field? Then, this card Defends for that card. Is card Defending? Then, this card gains 100 Defending Stats each time a monster your opponent owns attacks until the end of Defending.

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone, you can activate 1 of these effects: 1. Play 1 "Returning Rock Magician" from your Cemetery as an Extra Play. 2. By putting 1 "Magician Family" monster from your hand in the Expelled Zone, you are allowed to play 1 Magician Family monster from your Cemetery as an extra play in Defending Stat, except "Returning Rock Magician", also it gains this effect: "Is your opponent attacking another Magician Family monster you own on the Field? Then, this card card Defend for that card.

2000/2300

Ability Cards

“Rising Magician Sun”

Infinity Ability Card

Normal Effect:

“Do you have a Magician Family monster on the Field you own? Then, you are allowed to play this card. Did 1 Magician Family monster you own on the Field destroy 1 monster your opponent owns on the Field or 1 of their Protector Cards by battle? Then, you are allowed to draw 1 card and by sending that card you drew to the Cemetery, you are allowed to send 1 card from your opponent’s hand to the Cemetery at random. You can own 1 “Rising Magician Sun” on the Field.”

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to have a Magician Family monster you own on the field gain this effect: "Did this card destroy an opponent’s monster or Protector Card by battle? Then, you are allowed to draw 1 card and by sending that card you drew to the Cemetery, you are allowed to send 1 card from your opponent's hand to the Cemetery at random." That monster cannot be affected by this effect again while it is face up on the Field."

“Magician Draw Trick”

Normal Effect:

“Do you control a Magician Family monster? By picking up and showing 1 Magician Family monster in your Cemetery, you can put it to the Expelled Zone, and draw 1 card, and by sending that card to the Cemetery, you are allowed to send 1 card from your opponent’s hand to the Cemetery at random.”

Protector Effect:
"Do a player have an Expelled Magician Family monster? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to draw 1 card for each Expelled Magician Family monster in both player's Expelled Zone.

“Magician’s Wand”

Normal Effect:

By picking up and showing 1 of your Expelled Magician Family monster and sending 1 Magician Family monster from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to play that shown card as an extra play. You are only allowed to play 1 “Magician’s Wand” per turn.”

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone and by picking up and showing 1 Expelled Magician Family monster, you are allowed to shuffle it into the Deck, then, by sending 1 Magician Family monster from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to play a Magician Family monster from your hand as an extra play.

Rulings to "Magician's Wand":

1. You cannot send a Magician Family monster to the Cemetery if you do not have Magician Family monster in your hand to be played at that time.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Cards from the "Monkey" Family. Currently 4 Cards in this Family. Last updated 26.07.13 with the card "A Banana a Day Keeps The Monkey Away")]

"Tiny Offering: Monkey"

Monster/Monkey Family/Rank 1

Normal Effect:

"Is this card offered? Then, you must draw 1 card. Once a turn, this card in Defending State cannot be destroyed by battle while you own another Monkey Family monster on the Field in Defending State. Is this card destroyed by battle? Then, you must send 1 card from your hand to the Cemetery."

Protector Effect:

"Did you offer a monster? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to draw 1 card."

500 Attacking Stats/1500 Defending Stats

"Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey"

Monster/Monkey Family/Rank 2
Normal Effect:

"Is this card offered? Then, you must draw 2 cards. This card in Defending State cannot be destroyed by battle while you own another "Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey" on the Field. If this card was attacked while you controlled another "Medium Offerng: Monkey Monkey" but was not destroyed, during your next Hold Phase, you must send 1 card from your hand to the Cemetery."

Protector Effect:

"Did you offer a Monkey Family monster? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to draw 2 cards. You are only allowed to this effect of "Medium Offering: Monkey Monkey" once a turn."

1200 Attacking Stats/2200 Defending Stats

"Ultimate Offering: Max the Monkeys! Monkey Monkey Monkey!"

Monster/Monkey Family/Rank 3
Normal Effect:

"Is this card offered? Then, you must draw 3 cards, then you must send 1 card from your hand to the Cemetery. Did this card destroy an opponent's monster by battle? Then, your opponent cannot destroy Monkey Family monsters by battle you own on the Field until your next Hold Phase."

Protector Effect:

"Would a Monkey Family monster you own on the Field be destroyed by battle? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone, that monster is not destroyed, and it cannot be destroyed by battle until your next Hold Phase."

2600 Attacking Stats/2000 Defending Stats

"A Banana a Day Keeps The Monkey Away"

Infinity Ability Card

Normal Effect:

"You do not have to send cards from the hand to the Cemetery for Monkey Family monsters. Is this card destroyed while you owned it on the Field? Then, you must send 1 card from your hand to the Cemetery."

Protector Effect:
"Would a card(s) be send from your hand to the Cemetery? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone, that card(s) is not sent."

Rulings:

1. This card's Protector Effect doesn't work for cards that activate by sending the cards to the Cemetery, such as "Ramsheep's" Normal Effect. This is because at the time you would use this card, you have already send the card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Miscellaneous Cards. Currently 8 Cards in this Family. Last updated 26.07.13 with the card "You Forgot Something!"]

"Ramsheep"

Monster/Sheep Family/Rank 1

Normal Effect:

"Did this card destroy an opponent's monster by battle? Then by sending 1 monster from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to destroy 1 Protector Card your opponent owns on the Field."

Protector Effect:

"Is this card destroyed as a Protector Card by your opponent's effect? Then by putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to destroy 1 Protector Card your opponent controls."

1700 Attacking Stats/400 Defending Stats

Armored Guardian

Monster/Guardian Family/Rank 3

Normal Effect:

"Is this card played to the Field without failure? Then you are allowed to destroy 1 Protector Card your opponent owns on the Field. This monster cannot be removed from the Field by your opponent's effects that affect this specific monster only."

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to search through your Deck, and by showing 1 "Armored Guardian" to your opponent, you are allowed to put that card in your hand, also you are allowed to play "Armored Guardian" from your hand with 1 less offering than required until your next Hold Phase."

3000 Attacking Stats/3000 Defending Stats

Rulings:
1. If an effect affects multiple monsters, with one of them being "Armored Guardian", then "Armored Guardian" will not be removed from the Field, if it were to, but the rest of the effect is able to resolve properly.

2. If an effect affects both a monster and an Ability Card, Protector card etc., then it is able to affect "Armored Guardian" as well, since the card says "This specific monster only", where "monster only" is the important part. If it had "card only", then if the effect affected both a monster and an Ability Card, "Armored Guardian" would be removed from the Field.

“Live To Tell The Tale”

Normal Effect:

Protector Effect:
"During either player's Attack Phase, by putting this card in the Death Zone, monsters cannot be destroyed by battle until the next Hold Phase."

"Resurrection of the Protectors"

Normal Effect:

"By picking up and showing 1 of your face up Protector Cards in your Death Zone, you are allowed to put it in your Protector Zone."

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in your Death Zone and sending 1 card from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to put all face up Protector Cards in your Death Zone in your Protector Zone until your next Hold Phase.

Shadows of the Protectors

Infinity Ability Card

Normal Effect:
"While you own this card on the Field, all cards in your Protector Zone are turned face down, and any new Protector Cards put in the Protector Zone are turned face down. Your opponent may not see these, and you must show your opponent when using that card's Protector Effect."

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone, all cards in your Protector Zone are turned face down, and any new Protector Cards put in the Protector Zone are turned face down. Your opponent may not see these, and you must show your opponent when using that card's Protector Effect until your second Hold Phase after putting this card in the Death Zone."

Rulings:
1. For this card's Protector Effect, if you put more in the Death Zone before it has expired, it will NOT stack, but make it last until your second Hold Phase after that card's use.

2. If multiple of the Protector Effect are used, the other card is still considered to be in effect, and at the Hold Phase, you choose which of them expires first

3. Cards in the Protector Zone are turned face up immediately as you choose to stop during the second Hold Phase.

"You Forgot Something!"

Infinity Ability Card

Normal Effect:

"Is a monster(s) offered? Then, the player who offered the monster must send 1 card from their hand to the Cemetery for each monster offered. This card is destroyed during your third Hold Phase after being played to the Field."

Protector Effect:

"Is a monster offered? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone, your opponent must send 1 random card from hand to the Cemetery, also, they cannot use that card or its effects or cards by the same name until their next Hold Phase."

Rulings:

1. If you cannot send a card, you may still offer the monster, you simply do not send a card at that point,

2. This card does not trigger its effect if you have no cards in your hand when you offer a monster.

3. You cannot play the Protector Effect if your opponent has no cards in their hand.

4. You can activate both effects when either player offers a monster, either to play a monster, or for an effect.

"Error"

Trap Ability Card

Normal Effect:

“Is this card sent from the hand to the Cemetery? Then, you are allowed to destroy 1 Ability Card your opponent owns on the Field. Is this card played from the Field? Then by sending 1 card from your hand to the Cemetery, you are allowed to destroy 1 Ability Card your opponent owns."

Protector Effect:

"By putting this card in the Death Zone, you are allowed to look through you deck, and by showing 1 "Error" to your opponent, you are allowed to add that card to your hand."

“Blast Drawer”

Infinity Trap Ability Card

Normal Effect:

“Is a Protector Card you own on the Field destroyed by battle? Then, you are allowed to draw 1 card. This card is sent from the Field to the Cemetery during your next Hold Phase.”

Protector Effect:
"Is a Protector Card you own on the Field destroyed by battle or by a card effect (not including this if destroyed as a Protector Card)? Then, by putting this card in the Death Zone you are allowed to draw 1 card until the next Hold Phase. You are only allowed to use this effect of "Blast Drawer" once until the effect stops lasting."

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

This isn't really a club though, but a game.

If you want to make a club where people can come together and sign up to play/discuss the game, that's fine. There are a few clubs that work like that.

I give you 24 hours to edit this, ask for a move into a different section or whatever.

This isn't really a club though, but a game.

If you want to make a club where people can come together and sign up to play/discuss the game, that's fine. There are a few clubs that work like that.

I give you 24 hours to edit this, ask for a move into a different section or whatever.

Well, where should it be then?

I'll edit this to be a discussion page instead, and I'll make another topic in another place, still don't know where to post it.

Oh it's a custom game? I would have suggested Custom Cards or the Sets sub-section otherwise. Sorry, my bad then.^^

Alright, my suggestion would be to keep the game description and mechanics (or put them back on) into the first post, but specify what you're looking to do here (recruit people, discuss the game, play). Basically like you did now.

Oh it's a custom game? I would have suggested Custom Cards or the Sets sub-section otherwise. Sorry, my bad then.^^

Alright, my suggestion would be to keep the game description and mechanics (or put them back on) into the first post, but specify what you're looking to do here (recruit people, discuss the game, play). Basically like you did now.

My intention was to include it all in one, though that might get too messy. I dunno. I'm gonna change it so it isn't so bloody long anymore anyway, so it could probably fit in here without being too much of a problem.

Dear god, that is a might amount of text. I tried to scan through the pretend duel and made it about halfway. However, it sounds pretty interesting, and I can't say I've seen anything particularly similar, so kudos on coming up with an interesting and creative concept. Hopefully, I can red this over a few times, and make it through all of this xD Just too much to take in at once.

I made a minor change. Classes are now called Family instead. Reason? I liked it better. I also put what I expect to be the Dark Magician or Blaster Blade (I think that's the one, I don't play the game, but I have heard it's name a few time before) of this TCG. It's name is "Armored Guardian" and can be found as the monster example instead of "Ramsheep" or in the Card List. I also updated the Card List to feature spoilers for each Family, and 1 for miscellaneous cards.

I have changed a few things. First, I added that extra played monsters may not change their State until your next turn, and I added something in regards to responding to effects about how mandatory effects work (spoiler, they work pretty much the same, but you should read it anyway). I also added a new concept called Defending. So read that as well. And 2 new monsters have been added ("Fat Grandma" & "Returning Rock Magician") and with that I change the Card List a little bit again, so now monsters always go first, then Ability Cards, with OTU being first, than Infinity, then Trap, then Trap Infinity.

So, your game is YGO with Duel Masters/Pokemon (the Protector and Death Zone is similar to both of those games End Game scenarios) with Cardfight Vanguard?

That's not a good or a bad thing as everything bleeds into each other eventually and one doesn't get into this sort of thing by only playing ONE game less he lack experience and depth to continue.

Before I delve any further, I will ask you to clarify your Summoning Mechanic more.  It's not actually very clear or intuitive (something every game, regardless of genre or medium, needs).  In most games, there's a cost, so it doesn't need to be explained beyond that.  It's intuitively understood that you just have to read the card and pay its cost,  so everyone understands to at least do that.  In other games where they try to be different, they have to establish a pattern of how to perform actions that start easy and build from it.

In your game, however, it isn't explained very well.  I get you use the Ranks to establish the payment and there are 5 Ranks and you have to offer Previous Ranks to Summon Higher ones, but it isn't clear how MUCH you offer or what is allowed.

Example:  Rank 1 are summoned immediately.  Rank 2 ask for a single Rank 1.  Rank 3's ask for a Single Rank 2 or 2 Rank 1's.  Already, you've lost your pattern and thus have to either explain to explain how to summon the other Ranks, or change the cost to establish a better pattern or a better system that can be intuitively understood by your players.

Example:  Rank 4's:  I assume you offer a single Rank 3.  I maybe assume you offer two Rank 2's for a 4.  Can you offer 3 Rank 1's?  What about Rank 5's?  Can you offer four Rank 1's for a one Rank 5?  It's jarring to make a player think that way and it's not even explained what you cannot do.  Only a little bit of what you can.  How many lower Rank monsters can you offer toward a higher Rank?  You say "and so on." like you established a pattern, but you actually haven't.  Just trying to help you fix a bigger problem less you run into other ones later.  Maybe simplify it or flesh it out?  Can't just leave it hanging in the middle.  Maybe have the player add the Ranks together (ala Synchros in YGO)?  Maybe explain that Ranks need 1 more monster to summon than the previous Ranks (though you run into that counter-intuition problem that way)

I keep saying "intuitively" because it's a highly important teaching method for anything.  You have to get your "whoever" (student, player, associate) to a point he can do the work and thinking process for himself less you have to explain everything to him from scratch.  Incidentally, I don't have this problem at all with my own game as I'm going with a very different system that is still similar to a few more tried-and-true ones (maybe it counts as similar to Duel Masters with a twist on an original concept I made myself).  So for players, the only thing I have to explain is HOW to pay cost in general.  After that, a player will perform actions without mine needing to lead them any further at all and he/she feels they have accomplished something on their own. 

Honestly, just trying to help.  I have enough work on my game to do as it is, but I know I'm long past that problem (though I keep a notebook of problems to address as I think of them).

*post*

I appreciate your comments. I honestly didn't think that Ranks were gonna be the problem here, but anyway, you pretty much hit the nail right now, the way you explained it is how it works. I'll make a section on how Ranks work so it's easier to understand.

EDIT: I have added a section called Ranks right under the monster section. I hope this is clear enough, and if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them as best as I can.

"If you play a Rank 2, you must offer 1 monster. It doesn't matter which Rank it is for Rank 2, you simply need to offer 1 monster. If you play a Rank 3, you must offer 2 Rank 1s OR you must offer 1 Rank 2 or higher. If you play a Rank 4, you must offer 3 Rank 1s, 2 Rank 2s, or 1 Rank 3 or higher. If you play a Rank 5 you must offer 4 Rank 1s, 3 Rank 2s, 2 Rank 3s or 1 Rank 4 or higher. You may offer more than you need to as well. If you want to go for a Rank 5, you could either offer 2 Rank 1s and 1 Rank 2 OR 1 Rank 3 and 1 Rank 1. Rank 1s count as 1 offer, Rank 2s as 2, Rank 3s as 3, Rank 4s as 4 and lastly Rank 5 as 5."

Yeah, no, sorry, I think you need to rework this rather badly or re-write the rules to be understood better.  Now you have two systems that don't fit with each other and both seem rather arbitrary and forcing the player to remember a rule rather than perform something as he would have already thought made sense.

You honestly need to ask yourself an important question:  "Did I establish a pattern for the player to grasp quickly and feel he is actually playing the game on his/her own -OR- did I just make up something for them to be forced to memorize?"

Do YOU yourself know this pattern or are you just memorizing what should be offered and can do it any time in any situation during any match?  I honestly don't feel that way.  I'm trying to determine a pattern that can be summed up as THE RULE and I can't and that's a problem if an experienced gamer can't do that, let alone Joe Blow Newbie.

Mark Goldwater of Wizards of the Coast said that "if a player doesn't understand why he lost, he won't ever play again."  If you listen to Podcast (remember, you can get them on any device, Android, iOS, or Window Phone or anything else because they are just MP3's), I VERY VERY STRONGLY suggest listening to The "Magic the Gathering Drive To Work" Podcast by Mark Goldwater.  If you don't know who he is somehow, he's THE HEAD DESIGNER for Magic the Gathering under Wizards of the Coast.  For 30 minutes a week on his way to work (to Wizards HQ in Seattle, Washington), he will talk about Magic, card games in general, game design in general, player base, player expectations, the history of WOTC, and other topics... IN DETAIL.  He talks about problems, things they did to solve them, things that didn't work, things people didn't like even if it did.  THE WORKS.  This guy has been with Wizards since the genesis of Magic (though he wasn't working in Magic until later) and he definitely knows his stuff by now given Magic is still the most influential game in the world next to Chess and Pokemon.

It's amazing and I only started listening to it a few months ago, but it has brought me an understanding I hadn't had before about game design (though in some cases, I already did things EXACTLY like other designers, including at Wizards) and DEFINITELY fueled some changes and ideas for my own game even more than my own personal experience ever did (and I was happy to know that in some cases, I was actually making decisions that Magic has also made).

You really need to work on making the game "flow" better. The player needs to feel like he did more than just memorize a bunch of rules he gets screwed up on because he didn't remember them EXACTLY.  I'm trying to figure out the COMPLETE discernible pattern necessary to explain to a complete newbie how to do it.  The "sells pitch" if you will.  If you can't do that, it needs to be reworked.  It can't just be "memorize these amounts per each Rank".  If I was playing this, I'd rather not even bother trying to use Lower Ranks to summon something under it's only 1 rank lower because the rest is too much of a bother. 

Magic and YGO (I just keep using them for the most well known examples) honestly use very simple mechanics to summon their BASIC stuff (the advanced stuff is advanced for a reason).

YGO:

- Summon it from your hand for free if under 5

- 5 or 6 = give up a monster for it

- 7 or higher = give up two monsters. 

-- DONE.

Those 3 things are all you really need to tell someone to play it. Summed up quickly. Now imagine adding in "Level 5 = do this BUT not if it's this, but do this if it's this...  Level 6 is this, this and this, but not this.  Now for 7 is this this and this but not this that you did for 6..."

Magic is actually even easier to explain because there's only TWO things to know about playing cards in Magic:

- How to read THE cost in the corner of the card

- How to PAY that cost in the corner of the card.

- DONE

"This card has a Red symbol and a gray symbol with a 1 on it.  So I use a Red Land I have and another land I have to pay for it."  "This card has a Blue symbol and a Green Symbol in the corner, so I use a Blue Land and a Green Land to pay for it."

I'm telling you because I believe you wish to be serious about this, I know I do, I'm only trying to help.

*post*

It's kinda late, so I'll make this short:

While I understand that you might want to make it easy to understand, that doesn't mean that other TCGs don't have it's fair share of confusing mechanics and rules. I have both tried to make it make it easy to understand, and give a complex explanation of it. What exactly do you wish for me to do? I cannot simply change how it works at this point, as that would mess up the game I have tried to make, and it is also how I want it to work. Maybe you could show how you would want to say what I cannot say clearly enough for you? I can understand it fine, and that is what is making it hard for me to understand how you don't get it.

I tried to make a flowchart of how it works, but as said, it's late, and I am not really that learning how to do it was kinda weird. Maybe I'll post it some day, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to remake the Rank section again. I have also put up something in regards to multiple effects happening at the same time in the rules in regards to responding to effects section. I have added a new Family as well, called the Monkey Family. They are meant to help demostrate the idea behind offering and Ranks.

• 1 year later...

maybe designate 5 select protector cards? that would make scorekeeping easier. or maybe a 10 or so card deck for your protector cards? that would be a bit more random. make it so the effects are more target based. so a monkey deck might have a card that says : add one monkey family card to your hand. just my  ideas.

Archived