Hi there. This Archetype is a Koa'ki-like Archetype, as I like the idea behind using a single card in the hand for something, though I want to do it a bit different, and make it a bit more modern as well. Naming gimmick this time around? Well, look at them, it should be pretty obvious, some of the vowels in the word has a double dots over it. Why? Eh, I couldn't come up with anything better.

Spell Cards

[spoiler=Crÿstal]

Cryumlstal-1.png

You can only activate 1 “Crÿstal” per turn. Activate 1 or both of these effects (simultaneously):
    Add 1 “Time Freezer” monster to your hand, also add 1 “Crÿstal” from your Deck to your hand. If you activated both of this card’s effects, do not add 1 “Crÿstal” from your Deck to your hand.
   Double the Level of any number of “Time Freezer” monsters you control (max. 12), also they gain 500 ATK and DEF. If you activated both effects of this card’s effects, they do not gain ATK and DEF.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Icë Stäff]

IceumlStaumlff-1.png

Equip only to a “Time Freezer” monster. You can activate the effects of equipped monster whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” twice per turn. You can only use this effect of “Crÿstal Icë Stäff” once per turn. Once per turn: You can equip this equipped card to another “Time Freezer” monster you control. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, either by battle or by an opponent’s card effect, you can destroy this card instead.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lïght Stäff]

LiumlghtStaumlff-1.png

Equip only to a “Time Freezer” monster. You do not need to reveal a “Crÿstal” in your hand to activate that card’s effects. Once per turn: You can equip this equipped card to another “Time Freezer” monster you control. If this equipped card would be sent to the Graveyard, except by its own effect, you can equip it to another “Time Freezer” monster you control. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, either by battle or by an opponent’s card effect, you can destroy this card instead.

Rulings:
*If the equipped monster is used as an Xyz Material for a "Time Freezer" monster, you can equip this card to that card.

*If this card would be sent to the Graveyard because the monster has been Tributed/destroyed etc. before the resolution of an effect and there's no monster to equip this to when it is sent to the Graveyard it will not equip itself, so even if a monster would be Summoned that is an appropriate target, this card will not equip to it.

[/spoiler]

Main Deck Monsters

[spoiler=Mölly]

Moumllly-1.png

You can reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand to target 1 monster your opponnet controls; negate its effects and it cannot attack until your opponent’s next End Phase, and if you do, it cannot change its battle position. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 “Crÿstal” from your Graveyard to your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Kïra]

Kiumlra-1.png

You can reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand to target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponnet controls; destroy it, and if you do, negate its effects, also your opponent cannot activate cards with the same name until your opponent’s next End Phase. Your opponnet cannot activate that card in response to this effect’s activation. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn. If this card is equiped with an Equip Spell Card, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or by your opponent’s card effects.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Säräh]

Saumlraumlh.png

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 “Crÿstal” card from your Deck to your hand, then change this card to Defense Position. If this card is equipped with an Equip Spell Card: You can reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand to target 1 face-up monster your opponnet controls; destroy that target, and if you do, your opponent can draw 1 card. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn. If this card is equipped with an Equip Spell Card, it gains 500 DEF.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sofië]

Sofieuml-1.png

If this card is the only monster you control: You can reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand; Special Summon 1 “Time Freezer” monster from your hand, except “Time Freezer, Sofië”. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn. Equip Spell Cards you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponnet’s card effects. This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each “Crÿstal” card equipped to this card, and “Time Freezer” monster you control, except this card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Miä]

Miauml.png

When this card is Summoned: You can add 1 “Crystal” card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand to target 1 “Crystal” Equip Spell Card in your Graveyard; equip it to 1 “Time Freezer” monster you control, and if you do, Equip Spell Cards you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent’s card effects while you control that card. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn.

[/spoiler]

Extra Deck Monsters

[spoiler=Drägon]

Draumlgon-3.png

2 Level 8 “Time Freezer” WATER monsters
During either player’s Battle Phase, when a “Time Freezer” monster you controls battles an opponnet’s monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand; that monster gains 1000 ATK until the end of the Damage Step. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn. If this card is destroyed with Xyz Material and sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle up to 5 “Time Freezer” monsters and/or “Crÿstal” cards from your Graveyard into your Main Deck, then draw 1 card for each (max. 2)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bëast]

Beumlast-2.png

2 Level 8 “Time Freezer” WATER monsters
During either player’s turn, except during the Damage Step: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand to target any number of cards on the field; negate their effects until the End Phase, also, if you targeted any monsters, their battle positions cannot be changed, and their ATK and DEF become their original ATK and DEF. You can only use 1 “Time Freezer” effect whose card text lists revealing 1 “Crÿstal” from your hand per turn, and only once that turn. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from the Graveyard to target 1 “Crÿstal” card and 1 other “Time Freezer” monster in your Graveyard; add both to the hand. This effect of “Time Freezer, Bëast” can only be used once per turn.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Röck]

Roumlck.png

2 Level 4 “Time Freezer” WATER monsters
Your opponent cannot target other monsters for attack while you control another “Time Freezer” monster not name “Time Freezer, Röck”. You can reveal 1 “Crÿstal” in your hand and detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck; add any number of “Crÿstal” to your hand, also equip any number of “Crÿstal” Equip Spell Cards to monsters you control, and if you do, you can negate the same number of cards your opponent controls until your opponent’s next End Phase, and if any monsters were negated, they cannot change their battle position, then shuffle the rest into the Deck.

[/spoiler]

I have to compliment Crystal itself. The effects it have are outstanding, and the way you made it have two effects at once for each effect it has, but the use of both cancles out the secondary of each, is a really creative design and overall I was very pleased to see that.

The equip spell cards are really good, too, adding speed to the Deck and also providing more use for your turn.

The monsters are where I worry. The first monster does far too much for a Level 4. Either go with the recycle, or the search, but having both is just bad card design. The fact she also is a Fiendish Chain at SS1 on a stick is rather nasty to me, personally I would make the changing of positions lockdown permanent and the attack only last until your opponent's end phase (thus, stopping them for a turn). This would also go to make sure Defense Position monsters never attack, and could be interesting in a Stumbling/Eisbahn build.

The second monster is well done, I like a Night Shot with a futher prevention stuck on (its doubtful further prevention will be needed, but it is a nice tag on and adds flavour). Her last effect is really nice as well, making every card an infinite "Noble Arms of Destiny" for her and makes the player actually want to run the Equip Spells more (Light Staff wouldn't really be used as it is still a once per turn regardless, as this card does nothing to cancle the fact the card's text still states the revealing of a Crystal, thus making it only useful in the situations you have no Crystal, which don't seem like they'd be often).

The Extra Deck monster, Dragon, is only good when destroyed. It reminded me of Fabled Leviathan in that regard, but also has an ATK boost effect to compliment. I'm not sure exactly how balanced I'm willing to say drawing 3 is, but if you view it in a like view you would look at Fabled Leviathan, a 3 card to Summon card warrants a 3 card when destroyed effect. That being said, it is rather bad to give this both that effect and a personal "Gem-Merchant" built in, so perhaps make the increase only come about when battling a monster as opposed to any (meaning direct attacks).

*review*

Thanks for the review. I will make some of Mölly's effect go on another monster instead, and lower her attack a bit, and make the position lockdown like you requested, which also makes more sense for the flavor. I am also gonna change Drägon to only work for monsters, as I can see why that would be kinda cheap for directs. I think I'm gonna boost the equips by giving them Union-like protection effects as well, to make them more playable. Thanks for the review, be sure to come back when the rest of the Archetype is finished.

EDIT: Changed most cards, and added the rest of the cards as well.

It was a nice choice to move the search onto Sarah, as she is a very balanced approach and great target overall to move that effect to. Well done on her.

Sofie feels somewhat underwhelming, as while she can make an Xyz Play, that is as far as she goes. Otherwise, she is a sitting duck, boasting to protect your Equips but being too easy to take down herself, unless you grant a strong monster a "Magnetic" effect where all the attacks gravitate towards it, but I can't see that happening in the flavor pursued. Perhaps she could get an ATK Boost when equipped? Nothing huge, just maybe a 400 boost.

I don't like that you made Dragon 3100 ATK, I feel as though it should rest on 3000 ATK, especially for how good its effects are. The Defense Stat is really high as well, but that doesn't make or break the card, really.

I like Beast a lot, it is far more balanced in its death effect then Dragon and has a far more balanced detach effect (aside the fact he can chain to a monster to negate its effects, but that is less threatening then negating and destroying like Bounzer and Dolgga/Laggia do, and somewhat well deserved on a Rank 8 that needs a Spell Card to reach). I'm glad you didn't make it so they couldn't attack, as that would be pushing it.

Also, to throw it out there, the Union effects on the Spells do help the cards in their playability and I'm glad you did it. Plus, I kind of imagine (and likewise a lot of anime shows it) when a Spellcaster is on the brink and getting beaten, usually they get hit and use their staff to help take the blow, and thus the staff usually shatters vs. a strong opponent, so I can see it being flavorful as well.

It was a nice choice to move the search onto Sarah, as she is a very balanced approach and great target overall to move that effect to. Well done on her.

Sofie feels somewhat underwhelming, as while she can make an Xyz Play, that is as far as she goes. Otherwise, she is a sitting duck, boasting to protect your Equips but being too easy to take down herself, unless you grant a strong monster a "Magnetic" effect where all the attacks gravitate towards it, but I can't see that happening in the flavor pursued. Perhaps she could get an ATK Boost when equipped? Nothing huge, just maybe a 400 boost.

I don't like that you made Dragon 3100 ATK, I feel as though it should rest on 3000 ATK, especially for how good its effects are. The Defense Stat is really high as well, but that doesn't make or break the card, really.

I like Beast a lot, it is far more balanced in its death effect then Dragon and has a far more balanced detach effect (aside the fact he can chain to a monster to negate its effects, but that is less threatening then negating and destroying like Bounzer and Dolgga/Laggia do, and somewhat well deserved on a Rank 8 that needs a Spell Card to reach). I'm glad you didn't make it so they couldn't attack, as that would be pushing it.

Also, to throw it out there, the Union effects on the Spells do help the cards in their playability and I'm glad you did it. Plus, I kind of imagine (and likewise a lot of anime shows it) when a Spellcaster is on the brink and getting beaten, usually they get hit and use their staff to help take the blow, and thus the staff usually shatters vs. a strong opponent, so I can see it being flavorful as well.

I'll lower the ATK to 3000 on that Drägon and the DEF on Bëast (they're suppose to be opposites if you noticed the stats), I just felt like boosting it since I got rid of the direct attacking ability. And I might give it a boost when equipped as well, I'll think about it.

Oh, and a thing I would like to mention: You might have noticed that I gave the Xyz Monsters a WATER on them, when they wouldn't really need it since all are WATER anyway, well that's because of balance actually, since there's name changers in YGO, such as Phantom of Chaos. Just wanted to point that out.

EDIT: New versions up.

I didn't notice, but I don't believe it would've changed anything and made the game crazy if it didn't require WATER.

I notice the ATK/DEF reflection effect being presented, and liked it, that is why I didn't suggest to lower the DEF on Dragon to about 2400 as that would weaken Beast's ATK to far, and make players never not want to go into Dragon (though with a Draw 3 they will undoubtedly want Dragon).

I didn't notice, but I don't believe it would've changed anything and made the game crazy if it didn't require WATER.

I notice the ATK/DEF reflection effect being presented, and liked it, that is why I didn't suggest to lower the DEF on Dragon to about 2400 as that would weaken Beast's ATK to far, and make players never not want to go into Dragon (though with a Draw 3 they will undoubtedly want Dragon).

I'm still kinda on the edge if the 3-draw plus recycle is considered unbalanced or not. I feel like I should change it.

At most recycle to draw 2, in my opinion. Then, players of the archetype would decide whether or not they want a more aggressive push with a random card reward or a slightly less aggressive push with a more in control aspect, also granting your choice of the two cards you get as opposed to just saying "The Draw three makes me have to grab Dragon instead of Beast."

These are really cool so far... The level 4s should definitely keep their effects the same, especially when their stats aren't all too powerful without the boosts. Is it bad that I'm already thinking of ways to combat this archetype when they're not real cards?

Thanks for the thoughts, while not an extreamly informative review, I appreciate it anyway.

Archived