Grimoire the Wicked Tome [Week 10/Card 1]

8cVtmYj.png

When your opponent activates a card effect: You can discard this card and 1 card in your hand that is the same type as your opponent's card (Monster, Spell, or Trap); negate the activation and destroy that card. The effects of cards with that name during the rest of this Duel are negated.[hr]Flavour Music - Trilobyte
An evil, wicked, vile book. An ancient tome sealed away long ago, the dangerous force that it holds can be crippling to any who dare oppose it. The price, indeed, costly, the power it yields is phenomenal!

I didn't expect to reach Week 10, to be frank. This card is a hand trap, obviously. Now, more importantly, I have 3 things I need from you all.

1 - What do you think about the card?
2 - Flavour Music suggestions?
3 - How many weeks should my challenge go on for?

Find something from Harry Potter, it looks like it would belong in that universe. I don't know, how many weeks you like, that's up to you.

Effect & Use: It's effect is both situational, but also very powerful. If you don't have the right cards in your hand, you're screwed, and Spells and Traps don't like the Graveyard (unless it's Breakthrough Skill or something) so you're gonna send things you might want to use to negate something. As a Level 5, it doens't fit in many decks, which I like, but that Means it isn't very playable. The 0 in both stats mean you can use Recurring Nightmare, so that's at least a way to use this, but that isn't usable in many Decks, so I doubt this could be played a lot of places. Maybe it's worth as a side deck option in a few decks that struggle with control.

Design: It at first looks very powerful, but really, you're going minus 2 with a Level 5 monster, that has 0 ATK and DEF and has nothing else to it. The "Cannot be used for the rest of the Duel" clause can also hurt yourself, so I don't really mind that at all, though you're most likely gonna use it on monsters the most, so unless you're mirrored, or you're using some of the same Extra Deck monsters, it can become powerful, almost locking your opponent's whole deck down. The fact that it negates it means you would be able to use another, but that doens't really matter all that much, since you cannot use it anyway, maybe let it not destory it as well, so your opponent can still use their monster.

Flavor & Image: It's pretty good. The image is crisp and clear, and the name goes well with the image. The effect may be that the book maybe uses its chains to bind the card and brings it to the Graveyard if it was used in the anime. Good flavor.

Overall: It might not be used everywhere, but what it does is plenty powerful, and hand traps are almost always powerful. Besides a few Rank 5 Decks, and the side deck option, this is balanced enough as it is, and doesn't change the game a whole lot, but provides an interesting choice, should you want it. I would sugget not making it destroy the card, as when it's usable, it's very powerful with that destroy. 7/10

OCG Fix: None, and for that you get Zazu's Zeal of Approval.

My Version:  
When your opponent activates a card effect: You can discard this card and 1 card in your hand that is the same type as your opponent's card (Monster, Spell, or Trap); negate the activation and effect. The effects of cards with that name during the rest of this Duel are negated. You cannot Special Summon monsters during the turn you activated this effect.

Balance/Playability

Well, since it can't help you on your turn all too much, it is rather weak. The fact it can negate monster/spells as a hand trap is nice, but I can't see too many times you'd negate a Trap with this. Also, I don't see as to why exactly a -1 deserves even further drawback. I guess it could work during a Pot of Duality turn, but even then, a -1 doesn't need such a draw back imo. I feel as though it hurts the playability of the card a lot, and it would just become looked over.

Flavour/Originality

Very much original. As for flavour, I don't see why a Tome would have such effects, but I guess I can imagine some sort of secret spell of sorts being hidden within the Tome. To sum it up, the flavour is somewhat there, but not really gushing.

Suggestions/Additional Comments

I don't feel like it needs the Special Summoning stopper, as a -2 from hand to negate/destroy is a hefty enough cost as is, especially when you rely on what that other card in hand is.

Archived