Number Wall

Okay, so I clearly only make topics when I have epic stories attached to them...

NumberWall-NUMH-EN-ScR-1E.png

Continuous Trap

Activate only if you control a "Number" monster. "Number" monsters on the field cannot be destroyed by card effects, and cannot be destroyed by battle except with another "Number" monster. When a "Number" monster you control is destroyed, destroy this card.

[spoiler=Bad Story]

Since I decided to tech Number Wall into my Heraldic Rank-Up Deck, just for lulz, honestly, I was doing another test of the Heraldic Deck against my Galaxy Deck. It's honestly a horrible match-up in favor of the Heraldics, but that's not the point. Also, since I control both Decks, some moves are a bit stupider than they should be.

-Heraldics go first, setting Heraldic Beast Leo and Call of the Haunted. Has Number Wall in opening hand.

-Galaxies go second, Normal Summoning Galaxy Wizard, making it Level 8, using Galaxy Expedition to search Galaxy-Eyes, and overlaying both for Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon. I then remembered Tachyon can't use its effect if it's the only face-up monster on the Field, and attack the set Leo, which searches Heraldic Beast Basilisk. Sets Solemn Warning.

-Heraldics Normal Summon Basilisk, which gets Warning'd (stupidly, perhaps. Galaxy LP: 6000). Heraldics use Advanced Heraldry Art for Number 8, using Leo and Basilisk. Turns Tachyon to 0, becomes 3000, hits Tachyon. (Galaxy LP: 3000). Sets Number Wall.

-Galaxy SSes Photon Thrasher, Normal Summons Galaxy Knight, reviving Galaxy-Eyes. Uses Monster Reborn for Galaxy Wizard, makes it Level 8. Overlays for Neo Galaxy-Eyes, which negates Number 8 and Photon Thrasher. Galaxy-Eyes detaches to absorb Number 8's Overlay Units (Leo searches Heraldic Beast Eale), becoming a 5500 double attacker, and Photon Thrasher can attack. Neo Galaxy-Eyes attacks Number 8, and Number Wall is activated, protecting it from being destroyed, as Neo Galaxy is not a Number. (Heraldic LP: 4900). Neo Galaxy-Eyes attacks again, but Number 8 is still not killed by battle. (Heraldic LP: 1800). Photon Thrasher is weaker than Number 8, but it still has effect negated. Ends Turn.

-Heraldics play Twin-Headed Eagle, and activate Call of the Haunted, reviving Leo. SSes Eale from hand. Overlays all 3 for Number 69, which negates all face-up Xyz. Number 69 copies Number 8's effect, which it then uses to turn Neo Galaxy to 0, and gain its current ATK and effects. It detaches 1 to absorb Neo Galaxy's 2 remaining Overlay Units, becoming a 5500 double attacker for game.

All this because of Number Wall protecting Number 8 from dying in battle. Also possibly because I played stupidly, but story is still funny.

[/spoiler]

Anyway, dumb personal story aside, Number Wall is an interesting card. It's a mixture between Number Wall from the anime and the anime Number effects, in that it protects Numbers from dying in battle except by other Numbers, and it protects them from being destroyed by card effects (as Number Wall in the anime did). However, it extends this protection to ALL Numbers, not just yours, whereas the anime Number Wall only protected the controller's Numbers from being destroyed by effects, as IV still used Giant Killer to eat up Hope.

The "cannot be destroyed except by Numbers" also applies to the opponent, but that's logical.

Anyway, does this card have any use, other than in weird Number-spam Decks? Heraldics seem to manage with it decently, considering Rank 4 Numbers are extremely common and easy to drop, and because of the search power the Deck has, and preferred focus on Spells than Traps, Number Wall doesn't seem to dead-draw alarmingly often. Especially if last format, MST was rarely used, the card is prime bait for removal.

You could use Master Key Beetle to protect Number Wall, too, keeping it safe from effects, while simultaneously protecting itself from effects and battle except by Numbers.

For that matter, how many Numbers see play often, other than Number 16 and 11?

I have to ask you; does the same rule of number wall apply to Exodia, as in Exodia CAN'T destroy number monsters while number wall is in effect?

Is that a serious question?

Because Exodia never "destroys" anything. It just wins the game, regardless of any other factors such as monsters or LP.

"Also, since I control both Decks, some moves are a bit stupider than they should be."

I'm not the only one who does this? :o

I feel like there's gotta be some awesome stuff you can do with this card...I want to try and run it. In something. IDK what, really. (Besides Goldrat Turbo. Obviously.)

"Also, since I control both Decks, some moves are a bit stupider than they should be."

I'm not the only one who does this? :o

I feel like there's gotta be some awesome stuff you can do with this card...I want to try and run it. In something. IDK what, really. (Besides Goldrat Turbo. Obviously.)

I'm pretty sure a lot of people do that, actually. You have two Decks, but no second person. So...you do the moves for both Decks. It's just not as good a skill-building exercise than actual Dueling a second player, because you usually know what cards are facedown or available when in actual Duels, you'd have to be able to read the player before making big plays and so on.

For example, the Neo Galaxy-Eyes play against 2 Set cards is unbelievably stupid in an actual game, even if success would win the game.

I just find Number Wall fascinating. There's a bunch of solid Numbers that lose value based on stats, such as Number 44 (which is actually awesome), or cards that are just too vulnerable to destruction effects, like Number 39, Number 96, Number 92, or Number 22.

Number Wall literally is the same as the anime version, with the bonus of having the Number clause attached to it.
That, and a slightly silly drawback, though, to be fair, it IS rewarding the Opponent for destroying a Number in the appropriate way, in addition to forcing some player interaction.

Basically, in short, Number Wall is just solid card design in general. A little gimmicky, but still solid overall.

Number Wall literally is the same as the anime version, with the bonus of having the Number clause attached to it.
That, and a slightly silly drawback, though, to be fair, it IS rewarding the Opponent for destroying a Number in the appropriate way, in addition to forcing some player interaction.

Basically, in short, Number Wall is just solid card design in general. A little gimmicky, but still solid overall.

The main difference is that the RL version protects ALL Numbers, not just yours. (III made Machu Mech invulnerable to Giant Killer, and more subtly, Heaven's Strings. The same liberty was not given to Number 39, so we got to enjoy watching it struggle futilely against Giant Killer)

I could see this being ridiculously good if it didn't self-destruct when your Number is destroyed. Note the Number has to be "destroyed", not just removed from the Field. So non-destruction removal will not make this die.

It really is a solid, funny card. It's only useful in Decks that can really capitalize on churning out Numbers, though. Like Heraldic Beasts or something focused on Rank-Up Magic.

Archived