Onslaught of the... Dustons? - My New Favorite Archetype and Deck Theory

Delibirb

Lets go ahead and start with the Deck List, then ill explain why each card is here and my success with this build. (Lets call this a sort of budget deck as well)

[spoiler='The Deck (Image)']2wdt151.png[/spoiler]

[spoiler='The Deck (List)']

Monsters:

x1 Darkness Neosphere

x1 Exodius the Ultimate Forbidden Lord

x1 Dark Necrofear

x1 Asura Priest

x1 Mystic Tomato

x2 Shining Angel

x2 Rai-Mei

x2 Griggle

x2 Yellow Duston

x2 Blue Duston*

x3 House Duston

x2 Green Duston

x2 Red Duston

x2 Goblin King

Spells:

x1 One for One

x2 Creature Swap

x2 Cup of Ace

x1 Magical Mallet

x1 Reload

x1 Ground Collapse

x1 Duston Mop*

x1 Darkworld Shackles

Traps:

x1 Dark Coffin

x1 Just Desserts

x1 Ojama Trio

x1 Rainbow Life

x1 Ceasefire

x1 Michizure

x1 Nightmare Wheel

Extra Deck:

x1 Number 56: Lion Heart

x1 Number 54: "Golden Rat or Whatever"

x1 Shyneet (Slacker) Magician

x1 "Fuzzball Chihuahua" (Baby Tiragon)

*These cards are not yet physically distributed

[/spoiler]

I started this deck when I was looking through my collection for possible additions/swaps for my then usual deck (Relinquished) before noticing my one and only Red Duston. Reading it it seemed like a ridiculous effect and I had no idea why you would play it, even if you did have Creature Swaps. But then I went on YGOPRO and found that Dustons are whole - but currently incomplete - archetype! Well now I have to build a deck around them.

Soon after I had completed and tested the deck for consistency - quickly finding OTKs and efficient methods of spammage - I went online to compare to other decks and found two things.

1: Dustons have quite a few cards that are practically staples with them. Goblin King and One for One are the two biggest. Darkness Neosphere was fairly common as was Stygian Security (Which I had in place of the Rai-Meis and Shining Angels before discovering how expensive they were :E). Also, some of the suggested cards were more harmful than the cards it was suggested they replace. A big one was knocking out Ojamas for Mystic Piper. What? Thats just ridiculous, not only are Ojamas great in here if for whatever reason I cant get my Dustons out quickly or a second time, but Mystic Piper ends up useless with all my other searches which are helpful in nearly all situations. However other good combos with Dustons include Ceasefire and Just Desserts, which I found out quickly in my tests. ;)

2: I had a number of cards that no other Duston Decks (That I discovered) had that actually worked fantastically well. The first random thing sticking out you likely noticed is Exodius. Why would I have an Exodius in a deck with not only no Exodia pieces, but no vanillas at all? Easy: Recycling. I found that this deck can consistently (But not always) throw out a "Duston Party" by turn 4 if not sooner. But then, I cant do it again. Nearly all of my Dustons are on the field slowly getting sent to my Graveyard. Exodius is a great card to have as an initial draw or top deck, to return all of my Dustons back where they belong.

Another odd ball was my Rainbow Life, which is here for the simple reason of not letting my opponent get an early LP advantage when they kill off my initial House Duston.

Nightmare Wheel was also unqiue in my deck and I have no idea why. I can pull of a (almost) OTK if I use this with Ceasefire, Just Desserts, and a full field of Dustons - Not to mention its protective capabilities if I dont have either of them or I draw it late game.

I have performed numerous tests online YGOPRO with my beautiful Dustons. Not only have I never to my memory had a dead draw (When I lost, it wasnt my fault, my opponent simply had the correct counters (Dark Hole and Torrential Tribute are bad counter for Dustons > :{D)) but people got genuinely worried when they found out their monster zone was the equivalent of worthless to them and nothing but helpful to me.

So what are your thoughts? What odd ball cards do you notice, and what kind of suggestions do you have for the ones pointed out here?

I can tell you tight away to throw Griggle, Cup of Ace, Michizure, and 80% sure on Rainbow Life.

Rainbow Life is only for super stall decks, and even then has a VERY small niche. You aren't going to get its effect off meaningfully very often and are better off just running something that will hamper the opponent most of the time, though I can see where it will save you from damage with Dustons and also get rid of useless ones in the hand.

Griggle is worthless, and just life gain. You only have 2 cards in your deck that do anything with it... if you're going to run SOMETHING based on swapping, make it Ameba, not griggle.

Cup of Ace is obvious. It's a card that is +1 or -3. The chances don't make it worth it.

Michizure is also outlcassed by a whole ton of better traps like Mirror Force, Dimensional Prison, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Bottomless Trap Hole, etc etc.

In addition, always, always, always fill out your Extra Deck. No matter what. Even though you can't use Dustons for Xyzs, you never know when it might come up that you can do something like that. Just having the chance increases your odds of winning, even if by .1%

I can tell you tight away to throw Griggle, Cup of Ace, Michizure, and 80% sure on Rainbow Life.

Rainbow Life is only for super stall decks, and even then has a VERY small niche. You aren't going to get its effect off meaningfully very often and are better off just running something that will hamper the opponent most of the time, though I can see where it will save you from damage with Dustons and also get rid of useless ones in the hand.

I can see this. For now ill keep it there, but if any cards need throwing out/replacing, this will be the first to go.

Griggle is worthless, and just life gain. You only have 2 cards in your deck that do anything with it... if you're going to run SOMETHING based on swapping, make it Ameba, not griggle.

Got it, will switch for Ameba. Personally I always liked Griggle better, but I suppose it makes sense as Griggle doesnt get me closer to winning like Ameba, just further from losing.

Cup of Ace is obvious. It's a card that is +1 or -3. The chances don't make it worth it.

Main reason for Cup of Ace was it was the closest to Pot of Greed I could find, even if it was only a 50/50. Any better card suggestions?

Michizure is also outlcassed by a whole ton of better traps like Mirror Force, Dimensional Prison, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Bottomless Trap Hole, etc etc.

Problem with those is I dont want the attack negated. I want it to go through and punishment to be dealt, as House must be destroyed.

In addition, always, always, always fill out your Extra Deck. No matter what. Even though you can't use Dustons for Xyzs, you never know when it might come up that you can do something like that. Just having the chance increases your odds of winning, even if by .1%

Got it. :)

you should include a side deck. Hieratics are still big in this format... especially since the new Blue-Eyes saga deck being released recently.

Maybe you could replace your Cup of ace with Cardcar D. sure it ends turn but it is a +1 to the hand and considering the rest of the deck, you shouldn't have a problem using it.

You side deck should include a counter engine. Bottomless, decree, warning, torrential... etc.... I went against a few dustons last night... and Heliopolis cleaned house on them with all the fodder they gave him. 

you should include a side deck. Hieratics are still big in this format... especially since the new Blue-Eyes saga deck being released recently.

Maybe you could replace your Cup of ace with Cardcar D. sure it ends turn but it is a +1 to the hand and considering the rest of the deck, you shouldn't have a problem using it.

You side deck should include a counter engine. Bottomless, decree, warning, torrential... etc.... I went against a few dustons last night... and Heliopolis cleaned house on them with all the fodder they gave him. 

The side displayed in the image I threw together when I first made the deck and havent actually changed. IRL I have torrential and such sided, and saved my bacons yesterday at my locals. :)

Archived