This is a story about a man named Stanley...

AcediaJC

So, this was just a random idea I had at 3 in the morning... I'm not sure why, but I was wondering whether the core concept of the mod/game "The Stanley Parable" could be effectively portrayed as a yugioh card or cards. Specifically, the idea of presenting choices, the consequences of those choices, and playing mind games with those choices. Originally my plan was to have several cards with two effects either you or your opponent would choose that would then chain into other cards with their own choice of effects to sort of create branching paths of spell effects (So choosing the first effect of spell A would allow you to play spell B, while the second effect of spell A would allow you to play spell C, etc). But instead (since that idea seemed like a lot of work) I just decided to ditch that idea and make just this one card based on the original train of thought: Choices, consequences, and mind games.

v4q6g0.png

STAN-427 The Stanley Parable

Search your deck for 1 Spell and 1 Trap card, and place them each face down on your side of the field. Choose one of the two cards and tell your opponent to select it (They may still select either card). If your opponent chooses the Trap, destroy one monster on their side of the field and return both cards to your deck. If your opponent chooses the Spell, send both cards to the graveyard and your opponent draws 1 card.

Sorry if the OCG is off or anything, wasn't quite sure how to translate the idea into official terminology and such. Basically the idea is you set down one spell and one trap, and suggest which one your opponent should choose between the two, but they can simply ignore that suggestion and pick either one of the cards, and depending on which one they ended up picking they'd either fall victim to a negative effect, or benefit from a positive effect. The point of suggesting which card your opponent should pick is essentially just to turn the card into a mind game. For instance you could suggest the Trap to lure them into picking it, or you could suggest the Spell to trick them into thinking you're trying to lure them into picking the Trap. Then from there it's just all your own personal psychological warfare, really. Keeping a poker face, making comments that might nudge your opponent towards picking or avoiding one card over the other, and just generally getting inside their head. No clue how well this particular effect works balance-wise, but I figure the idea behind it could make things interesting at least.

So, thoughts? I'm iffy about the actual effects triggered by the choice, so suggestions for more balanced/worthwhile effects are welcome. As well as any other suggestions for how to improve the idea, really.

Archived