Machinery Over Matter|H.M. (Human Machine) Archetype - [21/?]

Delibirb

This is a set of machine monsters based on an alternative Steampunky-WWII Warfare. They focus on changing the names of their opponent's monsters, and gaining effects based on it.

First, some quick rulings:

[spoiler='Rulings']

• A monster whose name has been changed to an "H.M." monster is still treated as its printed name as well.
  • If multiple effects that change the name of a monster to different "H.M." names are applied to a monster, that monster is treated as being all of those names. They still count only as 1 "H.M." monster.

[/spoiler]

Now, the cards:

[spoiler='Xyzs']

z96kbF5.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Commander in Chief']3 Level 4 "H.M." monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to activate 1 of the following effects.
•Target 1 monster on the field; its name is treated as "H.M. Commanding Officer".
•Target 1 "H.M. Commanding Officer" your opponent controls; take control of that monster.

[/spoiler]

lftJ7u7.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Warhero']2 Level 3 "H.M." monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned, you can detach 1 Xyz Material to change the name of all monsters your opponent controls to "H.M. Footsoldier." All "H.M." monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each "H.M." monster you control. During your Standby Phase, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card. While this card has no Xyz Material, its original ATK is 0.

[/spoiler]

eDwP3OW.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Initial Subjects']5 Level 1 "H.M." monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned, destroy all other cards on the field. If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent, you take equal damage. This card loses 1000 ATK for each "H.M." monster on the field.

[/spoiler]

SahFYwD.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Last Resort Mainframe']2 Level 10 "H.M." monsters

This card's ATK is equal to the number of "H.M." monsters on the field x 1000, excluding this card. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all non-"H.M." monsters on the field, and inflict 1000 damage to your opponent for each.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Monsters']

Ehj8lbO.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. General Heinous']When your opponent Summons a monster, its name becomes "H.M. General Heinous". This card cannot be targeted for an attack by "H.M. General Heinous". If this card is targeted for an attack by a monster with 2700 or more ATK, the attacking monster's ATK becomes 2650.[/spoiler]

Cp1m6Z8.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Admiral Heinous']When your opponent Normal Summons a monster, its name is treated as "H.M. Admiral Heinous". This card cannot be destroyed by "H.M." Admiral Heinous" (Damage calculation is applied normally).[/spoiler]

79nZZN6.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Spec-ops']When this card is Flip Summoned, you can destroy 1 "H.M." monster on the field. Once per turn, you can change this card to face-down defense position.[/spoiler]

YU1Kajr.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Soldierone']Once per turn, you can target 1 monster on the field; its name is treated as "H.M. Footsoldier". If your opponent controls 3 "H.M. Footsoldier" monsters, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

dgdTlEj.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Protoprisoner']This card's name is treated as "H.M. General Heinous". This card gains 300 ATK and DEF for each face-up "H.M." monster on the field.[/spoiler]

7xdL9L0.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Scrapheap']This card loses 100 ATK and DEF for every "H.M." monster on the field. Once per turn, you can destroy 1 "H.M." monster you control; your opponent discards 1 card.[/spoiler]

pZskJ71.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Cannoneer']This card cannot attack directly. This card loses 300 ATK for each "H.M." monster on the field. Once per turn, when this card destroys an "H.M." monster by battle, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "H.M." monster from your Deck. If you do, end the Battle Phase.[/spoiler]

QS33A9b.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Tankiller']This card gains 200 ATK for each "H.M." monster your opponent controls. If this card destroys a non-"H.M." monster by battle, draw 2 cards.[/spoiler]

OCpRF2v.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Commandante']You can Tribute this card to change the name of all monsters your opponent controls to "H.M." Footsoldier".[/spoiler]

QrZFdH3.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Mastertracks']This card cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this face-up card was Normal or Flip Summoned, return it to its owner's hand. You can Normal Summon or Set this card without Tributes. When this card is Normal or Flip Summoned, target 1 "H.M." monster on the field; this monster's Level becomes that of the targeted monster. You can only control 1 "H.M. Mastertracks" (including face-down).[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells/Traps']

KpOeIlv.jpg

[spoiler='Data Download!']Equip only to an "H.M." monster. The equipped monster cannot be destroyed by battle by an "H.M." monster.[/spoiler]

P3AZkjz.jpg

[spoiler='Digi-Tactics']While this card remains face-up on the field, non-"H.M." monsters cannot declare an attack. Also, if an "H.M." monster destroys a monster by battle, the controller of the attacking monster draws 1 card.[/spoiler]

iTXo469.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Recruitment Gear']Target a non-"H.M." monster; its name is treated as "H.M. Footsoldier", until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

2xYdC9K.jpg

[spoiler='Organuke Ground - Zero']Face-up "H.M." monsters cannot be destroyed by battle (Damage calculation is still applied). Once per turn, you can discard 2 cards to Special Summon 1 "H.M." monster from your Deck; it cannot declare an attack this turn. Also, when it is targeted by a card effect, it is destroyed.[/spoiler]

caa4TvI.jpg

[spoiler='Covert Operations']When this card is activated, the Level of all "H.M." monsters on the field becomes the number of your Standby Phases this card was Set, until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

J9cazIL.jpg

[spoiler='H.M. Roguex']When this card is activated, Special Summon it in attack position as an Effect monster (EARTH/Machine-Type/Level 9/ATK 500/DEF2000). This card cannot be targeted for an attack. Also, if your opponent controls only "H.M." monsters, its ATK is doubled, and it can attack directly.[/spoiler]

RYOABfA.jpg

[spoiler='Remember Your Programming!']Activate only when an "H.M." monster you control is targeted by a card effect; negate the effect, and if it was a monster effect, that monster's name becomes "H.M. Footsoldier".[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Your thoughts/opinions/likes/dislikes?

[spoiler='Possible Deck Build']

Monsters: 15

1| H.M. General Heinous

2| H.M. Admiral Heinous

2| H.M. Cannoneer

1| H.M. Commandante

1| H.M. Protoprisoner

1| H.M. ScrapHeap

1| H.M. Soldierone

2| H.M. Spec-ops

2| H.M. Tankiller

2| H.M. Mastertracks

Spells: 14

3| Data Download!

3| Digi-Tactics

3| Organuke Ground - Zero

2| H.M. Recruitment Gear

1| Machine Duplication

2| Iron Call

Traps: 11

2| Covert Operations

2| H.M. Roguex

3| Remember Your Programming!

1| Bottomless Trap Hole

2| Threatening Roar

1| Dimensional Fissure

Total: 40

Extra: 15

3| H.M. Commander in Chief

2| H.M. Initial Subjects

2| H.M. War Hero

1| H.M. Last Resort Mainframe

3| Gear Gigant X

1| Wind-Up Zenmaines

2| Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack

1| Number 11: Big-Eye

[/spoiler]

I think the idea is great, the art is good, and the effects mostly seem balanced. Love it!

But there are some issues.

• A monster whose name has been changed to an "H.M." monster is still treated as its printed name as well.
  • If multiple effects that change the name of a monster to different "H.M." names are applied to a monster, that monster is treated as being all of those names. They still count only as 1 "H.M." monster.

This just defies game logic in some areas. Name changing, literally changes the name. It no longer has that name. Maybe the first part can stay in effect, maybe, but the second part needs to go. Tankiller needs his effect weakened, I believe. Although he is a Level 2 with weak attack. I don't know. The name changing was the only thing that bugged me.

I think the idea is great, the art is good, and the effects mostly seem balanced. Love it!

But there are some issues.

This just defies game logic in some areas. Name changing, literally changes the name. It no longer has that name. Maybe the first part can stay in effect, maybe, but the second part needs to go. Tankiller needs his effect weakened, I believe. Although he is a Level 2 with weak attack. I don't know. The name changing was the only thing that bugged me.

This archetype does mess with the name change mechanic, yes, and it will need fine-tuning.

The first ruling was so they werent too OP, because that would stop archetype-specific Xyz/synchros, mess with fusions, it would be fairly broken.

Actually I do see a way the second ruling can be changed. Something along the lines of "Only the last effect which changed the name of a monster applies." Originally this clause was to eliminate confusion if a name-change ffect was continuous, not targeting, but now looking back; they all target one way or another. The only situation that could be confusing is if you have both the Heinous's on the field, then which one would apply first; we could just make it such that you can pick, in such case.

EDIT: Also, main reason for Tankiller's draw effect being at 2 is because the only searcher for this deck is Cannoneer, and that's only Level 4 and lower, so this deck needs that little extra draw power this and Digi-Tactics provides.

Mastertracks needs some work. I would make it to where his level changes to be used for the Xyz Summon of an "H.M." monster only. So, maybe have him target an HM on the field (Even opponent's, if you wanted to) and make his level become that level. And you can't say that you can only control one facedown of him, it has to be face-up. In case you didn't know, if you could only control one of him, you couldn't flip summon another. 

Mastertracks needs some work. I would make it to where his level changes to be used for the Xyz Summon of an "H.M." monster only. So, maybe have him target an HM on the field (Even opponent's, if you wanted to) and make his level become that level. And you can't say that you can only control one facedown of him, it has to be face-up. In case you didn't know, if you could only control one of him, you couldn't flip summon another. 

-Ok, ill change it to only work for H.M. Monsters, and he has to target.

-There is at least 1 other card where you can control only 1 of them, face-down or face-up, though I cant remember what that is.

-The point is so you cant flip summon another. :P

Yes, and the game prevents it from happening for that reason. It doesn't specifically say it, but when it says "you can only control one face-up" you can't do anything that might change that. Same as with cards like Rivalry of Warlords.

You... what? You didnt argue for or against anything...

I'm sorry if I confused you, but you said:

-The point is so you cant flip summon another.  :P

So, my post was saying, a card can't say "you can only control one....including face-down." It just needs to say "You can only control one face-up" and both issues are resolved. My post was elaborating on the mechanic of face-ups and limitations. 

I'm sorry if I confused you, but you said:

-The point is so you cant flip summon another.  :P

So, my post was saying, a card can't say "you can only control one....including face-down." It just needs to say "You can only control one face-up" and both issues are resolved. My post was elaborating on the mechanic of face-ups and limitations. 

But a card can say that. As I said, at least one that does this exists, but I dont remember the name.

Simply epic. I love Machine archetypes and this looks godly. This needs to be a real archetype.

These cards should be real

Aw, thanks you guys. <3 I just hope the lack of other comments (save Tech's) means everyone else agrees and doesnt feel the need to reiterate it, and not that it actually is horrible and they are to ashamed to even begin to post. :P

Aw, thanks you guys. <3 I just hope the lack of other comments (save Tech's) means everyone else agrees and doesnt feel the need to reiterate it, and not that it actually is horrible and they are to ashamed to even begin to post. :P

I'm sure that's the case lol, in any case maybe you should join Konami, they need guys like you nowadays (points at loser who made Dragon Rulers) unlike that guy.

Updated with 3 new Xyzs for the H.M.s, who may or may not be overpowered.

HM Warhero is probably OK, if not UP.

HM Initial Subjects is a pretty scary card at first glance. R1 with 4000 ATK? What? Well, first, it requires 5 materials, and second, only 1 of them is a Level 1, so if you plan on getting this guy out, itll take a Covert Operations and a full field. And lets be honest, swarming with these guys is tough. NTM he gets weaker with every other HM on the field, and your opponent will probably still have some changed names lying around.

Reading HM Last Resort Mainfram, he appears even scarier. But dont worry, he is a R10, and as there are no Level 10 HMs, itll take a Covert Operations staying on the field for 10 of YOUR turns, for a total of 20, plus you'll need 2 monsters on the field THAT turn or you'll miss the chance to summon this big bad guy. But, you can get game with him, if you are ridiculously lucky.

Please let me know if my justifications for these two are really stupid. :)

Last Resort is OP, due to cards like Bad Reaction to Simochi. Galaxy Queen's Light, Star Changer, etc. can quickly change level 8's to level 10s. He needs a nerf. I think Warrior might deserve to gain ATK for every H.M. on the field just cuz. There are not even enough HM in the deck for the rank one, and his ATK might be far too high, and his effect too useless. Maybe toss out or modify to something like 2 Level 1's, and 2500 ATK, losing multiples of 500?

Overall, I think more monsters need to match in level, the diversity seems to make Xyz seem pointless at times.

Last Resort is OP, due to cards like Bad Reaction to Simochi. Galaxy Queen's Light, Star Changer, etc. can quickly change level 8's to level 10s. He needs a nerf. I think Warrior might deserve to gain ATK for every H.M. on the field just cuz. There are not even enough HM in the deck for the rank one, and his ATK might be far too high, and his effect too useless. Maybe toss out or modify to something like 2 Level 1's, and 2500 ATK, losing multiples of 500?

Overall, I think more monsters need to match in level, the diversity seems to make Xyz seem pointless at times.

Remember we have Covert Operations for the R1, but I can see now that Last Resort is abusable with those cards, yeah. Also, remember "Warhero" boosts all HM monsters ' ATKs, including his own.

Also, remember "Warhero" boosts all HM monsters ' ATKs, including his own.

But Solidarity does the same thing, but with a Spell Card. I think the 100 being a max 500 for everyone is weak in comparison, and is harder to use. Maybe, just maybe, the boost should be 200 for all you control OR 100 for every H.M. on the field. Last I have to say is that they are your cards, and you don't have to take my feedback seriously at all. So, if you think the 100 is fine, it is fine. XD

But Solidarity does the same thing, but with a Spell Card. I think the 100 being a max 500 for everyone is weak in comparison, and is harder to use. Maybe, just maybe, the boost should be 200 for all you control OR 100 for every H.M. on the field. Last I have to say is that they are your cards, and you don't have to take my feedback seriously at all. So, if you think the 100 is fine, it is fine. XD

Alright, if you dont mind I dont think I wont then, at least one Warhero and for the time being Subjects. :P

But I did alter Last Resort to be less of a game card.

• 9 months later...

I believe in love at first sight now that I've seen these. They're so anti-meta and original and I love it! The arts are also very Yugioh-esque which is a definite plus! Also I love General Heinous. Awesome card art, name and effect. Awesome all around actually! Lol

Archived