"Deminish" Archetype [3 cards]

Darj

So, months ago I made a thread for this guy in "Realistic Cards - Single Cards" section.

Today I decided to come up with a couple of cards to further support him and this is the result (I am posting it here in Written Section because I don't have pictures for the new 2 cards and I won't bother with looking for them).

I also changed the effect of the original Deminish a bit:

Deminish - Blade Sealed
Attribute: DARK
Type: Beast-Warrior/Effect
Level: 5
ATK: 2200
DEF: 1900
Effect: If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon 1 "Seal Blade Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 0). This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster you control. The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. You can Tribute 1 monster you control equipped with a "Seal Blade Token": Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Deminish - Blade Sealed" once per turn.

Deminish - Blade Keeper
Level: 4
ATK: 1700
DEF: 1400
Effect: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Seal Blade Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 0). This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster you control. The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. Once per turn, while you control a "Seal Blade Token" or another "Deminish" monster: You can increase this card's Level by 1.

Deminish - Blade Unleashed
Type: Machine/Xyz/Effect
ATK: 2500
DEF: 2200
Effect: 2 Level 5 DARK monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Seal Blade Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 0). This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster you control. The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. If this card would be destroyed while equipped with a "Seal Blade Token", the "Seal Blade Token" is destroyed instead. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Seal Blade Token" you control to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; equip that target to this card.

Storyline/concept of the archetype:

"Deminish - Blade Keeper"

Deminish, an skilled warrior, finds a mechanical blade capable of sealing living beings. Unaware of its cursed powers, he battles with the blade carelessly.

"Deminish - Blade Sealed"

Eventually, he is trapped by the blade, but rather then being sealed or controlled by it, an unusual bond is created between them. Each time Deminish is defeated, he is absorbed/sealed within the blade. If a monster dares to wield the blade, Deminish can take that monster's energy as tribute to release himself.

"Deminish - Blade Unleashed"

In the end, Deminish masters the blade and becomes one with it (hence the change to Machine-Type), gaining access to its sealing powers which he can now use against his opponents: The blade traps an opponent, and grants Deminish a fragment of their powers (effects) temporarily. As part-machine, Deminish also gains the ability of replicating blades of the same kind for combat.

I like the Archetype, but the latter effect of Deminish - Blade Unleashed... is very powerful.

Would be better if he did not acquire the effects of opponent monster ... more honest.

Or it could be:

"Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Seal Blade Token" you control to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy that monster, and if you do, this card gains that monster's effects until the End Phase. If you activate this effect, this card cannot attack this turn."

Yeah, I suspected the "steal an effect" effect would be too powerful. I could defend it by saying that it as powerful as the monster it copies but I know it is a bad argument as it can still steal game-changing effects.

Your suggestion is convincing, but it looks like it can still be heavily abused. For instance, it would be really unfair for the opponent to destroy his/her, let's say, Volcasaurus with Unleashed, and with the copied effect destroy another of his/her monsters, THEN Xyz Summon Gaia Dragon over Unleashed to bypass the attack restriction.

Instead, I was thinking it could copy the effects during the Battle Phase only, sticking with his concept of "using the powers of the blade for combat". That way it would gain battle effects from monsters such as Star Eater, Catastor, Ancient Gears, Crimson Blader, etc. but he wouldn't be able to use "Once per turn" effects; and the opponent would gain little to no benefits from overlaying Gaia Dragoon over him.

• 4 weeks later...

bump

I will fix a couple of mistakes in the OP and update the Xyz monster.

Also, I have been playing with the idea of giving an Union-like protection effect to the Tokens:

This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster on the field. The equipped monster gains 300 ATK and if it would be destroyed, the Token is destroyed instead.

What do you think? Would it be fine or would it be too much?

bump

Decided to drop the Union-like effect on the Tokens because then it could get ridiculous with Key Bettle: protect with Key Beetle a Token equipped to it for an easier Safe Zone + Key Beetle combo that can declare direct attacks.

I Did some updates:

Now "Deminish - Blade Unleashed" equips the targeted monster to it as a form of removal.

Increasing the level of "Deminish - Blade Keeper" is now optional for summoning both Rank 4 and 5 Xyzs.

Deminish - Blade Sealed

Level: 5
ATK: 2200
DEF: 1900
Effect: If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon 1 "Seal Blade Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 0). This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster you control, and the equipped monster gains 300 ATK. You can Tribute 1 monster on either side of the field equipped with a "Seal Blade Token": Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Deminish - Blade Sealed" once per turn.

Deminish - Blade Keeper
Level: 4
ATK: 1700
DEF: 1400
Effect: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Seal Blade Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 0). This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster on the field. The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. Once per turn, while you control a "Seal Blade Token" or another "Deminish" monster: You can increase this card's Level by 1.

Deminish - Blade Unleashed
Type: Machine/Xyz/Effect
ATK: 2500
DEF: 2200
Effect: 2 Level 5 DARK monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Seal Blade Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 0). This Token can be equipped to a DARK monster you control, and the equipped monster gains 300 ATK. While this card is equipped with a "Seal Blade Token", it cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Seal Blade Token" you control to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; equip that target to this card.

The monsters are amazing. They have Tenki, Armagedon Knight, Dark Grepher, and general DARK Support that makes them consistent. The concept is pretty nice, but I did fix some potent broken pieces (given our duels also). Made the tokens only able to equip to monsters you control. It prevents unfair abuse against DARK heavy decks, but I kept the "Tribute" clause for Sealed (for Creature Swap shenanigans). Keeper is amazing as is. Unleashed is all around a nice boss monster to have on the field. It has it's own protection clause, it fuels for it's own effects, has nice stats and the scariest part is the Vylon Dysigma clause it has on equipping monsters. It's an out to many of your opponent's plays and has a threshold on the field if you have the right support to back him up. That's why the last clause (gaining the effect of the equipped monsters) seems a little lack luster; both unneeded, winmoar, and just makes the care slightly more broke (I mean lol catastor steal, big eye steal, etc). Other than that, amazing concept and amazing cards.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, Tributing the opponent's DARK monster to Summon a 2200-ATK beater doesn't sound fair, especially after the archetype does just well without such ability.

I will also nerf the protection effect of Unleashed with the following:

While this card is equipped with a "Seal Blade Token", it cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects.

to:

If this card would be destroyed while equipped with a "Seal Blade Token", the "Seal Blade Token" is destroyed instead.

That way, the Xyz will only has as many "lives" as the Tokens equipped to it, instead of being indestructible to everything while it has a Token, which would be a pain for the opponent if he/she doesn't have any S/T removal to destroy the equipped Token.

Other changes:

- "Deminish - Blade Sealed" can now Special Summon itself from the hand by tributing an equipped DARK monster.

Archived