Amour Archetype - What if I told You this Archetype Was All Hand Traps?

Delibirb

So I thought it would be an interesting idea to make an archetype of hand trap monsters. In theory they sort of reminded me of Valon's Deck of Armor from the Orichalcos arc, so I made these lovely ladies a Deck of Amour, or love. They are all 0/0 Level 1 FIRE Pyro-Types, that involve discarding themselves and revealing other Amours to collect on their effects.

I am unsure of the power and/or synergy/lack thereof at the moment, but it seems to be fairly balanced given these girls will be taking up massive amounts of deck space, and aren't particularly adept at protecting their owner all the time.

[spoiler='Xyzs']

[spoiler='Amour the Destiny']

9SBUeTC.jpg

3 Level 1 "Amour" monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: you can discard any number of "Amour" monsters (their effects do not activate) to target face-up monsters on the field equal to the number discarded; this card gains ATK equal to their combined Levels x 600. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, detach and banish 1 Xyz Material instead.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Number 78: Amour the Charity']

PhzBGMe.jpg

5 Level 1 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this monster using 1 face-up Rank 1 Xyz monster you control that has no Xyz Material as the Xyz Material. When this card battles, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and reveal 5 Level 1 monsters in your hand; destroy all cards your opponent controls, and this card gains 3000 ATK until the End Phase. During the End Phase this effect was used, shuffle your entire hand into your Deck, then draw 3 cards.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Monsters']

[spoiler='Kiss of Amour']

ex7nnvF.jpg

When your opponent delcares a direct attack, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; negate that attack, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to the attacking monster's DEF.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Heart of Amour']

qQbUEDv.jpg

During either player's turn, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; negate the activation of your opponent's Spell or Trap card and destroy it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Embrace of Amour']

nogFwOQ.jpg

During your Standby Phase, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; your opponent reveals their hand, and discards any monsters whose Level is less than the number of "Amour" monsters in your Graveyard. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Love of Amour']

SFjjGFp.jpg

When your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; banish the Special Summoned monster(s).

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Wrath of Amour']

miooVdR.jpg

During your Main Phase 1, you can discard this card and reveal 3 "Amour" monsters in your hand; destroy all cards your opponent controls, and inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each. You cannot Summon monsters or declare an attack during the turn you activate this effect.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Poem of Amour']

mbpgoSp.jpg

Up to twice per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, you can reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; it is not destroyed. You take no battle damage from battles involving this card. Once per turn, you can reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand to add 1 "Amour" monster from your Deck to your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Pout of Amour']

sLMmgFe.jpg

During your Main Phase 1, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; Special Summon 2 "Amour" monsters from your Graveyard in face-up Defense Position.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Revenge of Amour']

uVEPRdN.jpg

When your opponent destroys a monster by battle, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; Special Summon that destroyed monster, and its ATK becomes that of the monster that destroyed it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Guardian of Amour']

6FESt99.jpg

During either player's Battle Phase, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; this turn, any battle damage you would take is added to your Life Points instead.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Abuser of Amour']

68qqOf5.jpg

During either player's turn, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; inflict damage to your opponent equal to the number of "Amour" monsters in your Graveyard x 300.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Chance of Amour']

sn7Mozu.jpg

During your Standby Phase, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; this turn, if you would discard an "Amour" monster by its effect, you do not. You cannot activate the effect of "Chance of Amour" while "Chance of Amour" is in your Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Star-Crossed Amour']

RoFO31L.jpg

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning exactly 5 "Amour" monsters from your Graveyard to your Deck. This card gains 1000 ATK for each "Amour" monster in your Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Cold of Amour']

gQV3sy8.jpg

During your End Phase, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects, until your next End Phase.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Amour-Amouru-Ra, the Amour']

LVcsGc9.jpg

When this card is revealed by the effect of an "Amour" monster, Special Summon it to your opponent's side of the field in Attack Position. This card's battle position cannot change, except by a card effect. Once per turn, the controller of this card can negate the effect of an "Amour" monster and banish it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Tyrant of Amour']

XAz6skP.jpg

During your opponent's Standby Phase, you can discard this card and reveal 1 "Amour" monster in your hand; this turn, when your opponent Summons or Sets a card from their hand to the field, draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Tyrant of Amour" per turn.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Legend of Amour']

EXSLy1l.jpg

If this card is revealed by the effect of an "Amour" monster, you can discard this card; increase your maximum hand count during the End Phase to 8 for the rest of the Duel.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Union of Amour']

LdDoC0i.jpg

During your Main Phase 1, if you have no "Amour" monsters in your hand, you can discard this card; send all "Amour" monsters in your Deck to the Graveyard, and inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spell/Trap Cards']

[spoiler='Amorous Gathering']

uxs3lbr.jpg

Discard 1 "Amour" monster (its effect does not activate) to add 2 "Amour" cards from your Deck to your Hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Amorous Grasp']

6vQ4cOy.jpg

When your opponent declares a Direct Attack, Special Summon 1 "Amour" monster from your Graveyard; when it is destroyed, banish is instead of sending it to the Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Amorous Flair']

h68ulNS.jpg

When your opponent negates a monster effect, you can discard 1 "Amour" monster; it is not negated. Also, you can draw 2 cards.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Amorous Feint']

kwsqnOE.jpg

During either player's End Phase, if you discarded 3 or more "Amour" monsters this turn, you can add 2 "Amour" monsters from your Graveyard to your Hand.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Also, these cards will be used by a later character in my Yu-Gi-Oh! Common Fates fanfic. Go check it out. :D

They're awesome o_o

I love that your effects are a mix between really useful and slightly situational - just like real life archetypes. 

And the arts? I'd love if you gave me a link to them...they're great. 

OCG 10/10

Arts 10/10

Effects 9.5/10

Synergy 7/10

Coolness factor 10/10

Balance 10/10

Total = 9.4/10 -> "Your cards are really cool!".

They're awesome o_o

I love that your effects are a mix between really useful and slightly situational - just like real life archetypes. 

And the arts? I'd love if you gave me a link to them...they're great. 

OCG 10/10

Arts 10/10

Effects 9.5/10

Synergy 7/10

Coolness factor 10/10

Balance 10/10

Total = 9.4/10 -> "Your cards are really cool!".

Thanks for the great review! The art is by JazinKay (You can google him).

All right, so for the most part, I really like your idea here. A hand trap archetype is something I personally have wanted to try for awhile. 0 ATK and DEF make a solid reason to keep these in your hand as well balance out the powerful effects. I like that you have to discard one when activating the effect of another because it will prevent endless looping and sort of makes you pick and choose what you can negate. Now, with that said, I do have a few grievances to file over just a few cards.

Firstly, Wrath of Amour is one which I deem op'ed. Merely by revealing a few cards in your hand you get to destroy all cards front and back row that your opponent has, as well as burning him or her for 400 points a card? That seems unfair to me. Now, you do have to have a minimum of four of these monsters in your hand to activate this effect, but it still needs to be nerfed some due to the fact that that is a definite and real possibility with this archetype. My suggestion: either get rid of the burn effect or pick front or back row to be destroyed.

Secondly, Poem of Amour is a much lower priority fix. For the most part, this one is acceptable. My one issue is with the fact that it can add from the Deck or Graveyard. My suggestion: just pick one or the other. Otherwise, it has too huge a pool from which to choose.

Thirdly, Amorous Flair is trying to do too much. To elaborate, +2 on a card that negates your opponent's negation is, while held back as being situational, too much of an advantage when played. It doesn't even have the cost of discarding that the monsters do, which is what makes them fair IMO. My suggestion: maybe draw 1 card, instead.

Overall, though, I look forward to reading your fanfic. With cards like these and the mix with ocg cards, it should be interesting.

Rating: 8.5/10

All right, so for the most part, I really like your idea here. A hand trap archetype is something I personally have wanted to try for awhile. 0 ATK and DEF make a solid reason to keep these in your hand as well balance out the powerful effects. I like that you have to discard one when activating the effect of another because it will prevent endless looping and sort of makes you pick and choose what you can negate. Now, with that said, I do have a few grievances to file over just a few cards.

Firstly, Wrath of Amour is one which I deem op'ed. Merely by revealing a few cards in your hand you get to destroy all cards front and back row that your opponent has, as well as burning him or her for 400 points a card? That seems unfair to me. Now, you do have to have a minimum of four of these monsters in your hand to activate this effect, but it still needs to be nerfed some due to the fact that that is a definite and real possibility with this archetype. My suggestion: either get rid of the burn effect or pick front or back row to be destroyed.

Secondly, Poem of Amour is a much lower priority fix. For the most part, this one is acceptable. My one issue is with the fact that it can add from the Deck or Graveyard. My suggestion: just pick one or the other. Otherwise, it has too huge a pool from which to choose.

Thirdly, Amorous Flair is trying to do too much. To elaborate, +2 on a card that negates your opponent's negation is, while held back as being situational, too much of an advantage when played. It doesn't even have the cost of discarding that the monsters do, which is what makes them fair IMO. My suggestion: maybe draw 1 card, instead.

Overall, though, I look forward to reading your fanfic. With cards like these and the mix with ocg cards, it should be interesting.

Rating: 8.5/10

Thanks for your thoughts!

Wrath is most definitely a powerful card, but when I made her I personally found her to be very situational as although there can be lots of drawing, probably the only time you will have 3 Amours and her are first turn, when not much has happened. and as such the character in the fanfic runs only 1 of her. Though, if I find that others agree with this point, I will most definitely remove the burn. :)

I honestly dont know why I let Poem add from the Grave. XP Fixing now.

Flair is situational, but this archetype needs a +2, as the only card that does anything more than a +1 is Tyrant, who will probably only give you a +3 at most, and only if on the first turn usually. If it would be possible, perhaps have Flair discard instead of reveal?

• 1 month later...

Archived