[Sakura] Fuyuko, Princess of the Ice Barrier

Flash Flyer - Sakura

xkKOaew.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more WATER non-Tuner monsters
While you control another face-up "Ice Barrier" monster, your opponent cannot activate card effects during the Battle Phase. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target 1 "Ice Barrier" monster in your Graveyard; add it to the hand.

(2nd revision)

You've probably seen this card from my last 1v1 against StealthyTyranitar, so not too much needs to be explained about this card.

Aside from the fact that this is a Level 9 Ice Barrier Synchro that can be used in place of Trish since it's banned. The WATER non-Tuner requirement ensures that not all Decks can run this (not including the fact this requires the use of Ice Barriers to use its effects, bar its second.)

IMG credit: http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33400000/anime-girl-snow-msyugioh123-33449018-1601-1121.jpg

As usual, rate/hate/fix OCG/CnC, etc.

Standard reps are available for those who contribute good feedback.

(If you voted on that thread, you can repeat the same comments over here if you wish)

OCG fix (C is capitalised when mentioning Spell/Trap Cards.)

Once per turn, if your opponent activates when a Spell/Trap Card is activated: You can reveal 2 "Ice Barrier" monsters with different names in your hand; negate the effect of that card, and if you do, banish it. When this card attacks: Spell/Trap Cards cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target 1 "Ice Barrier" monster in your Graveyard; return add it to your the hand.

Other than that, I can't see much wrong with this, the card is pretty is balanced. I could see Ice Barrier decks making use of this as a boss monster. 

Editing the OCG fixes.

But yeah, this card could serve as a nice boss monster (now that Trish is gone for being generic); 2900/2300 is a decent amount of power for Level 9 and it needs time to be summoned (unlike with its predecessor, who was generic and pretty much any Deck could spam it; this one needs WATER monsters)

Either way, thanks for reviewing.

First, maybe she would be better as a Level 10 so Ice Barriers will have an easier time Summoning her through Gantala/Tidal + Defender. Otherwise a Synchro 9 in Ice Barriers is somewhat difficult to pull of except by resorting to Level 2 Tuners. Then, as a Level 10, you will be able to raise her ATK to 3000~3100, which I don't think would become a problem.

Regardless, in the 1vs1 Contest Ain adressed this card's greatest issue: Basically it is an Ancient Gear Shi-En who can recycle an Ice Barrier every turn. If Shi En is enough of a problem, how a monster with those 3 effects combined would be? Granted, she is not as easy to Summon as Shi En, and she is intended to a aid a rather undersupported archetype, but still I think you should drop either the AG effect or the recycling one. Personally I would drop the recycling effect so she won't be able to generate an insane amount of advantage by negating an S/T and recycling a card (for a total of +2) every turn.

First, maybe she would be better as a Level 10 so Ice Barriers will have an easier time Summoning her through Gantala/Tidal + Defender. Otherwise a Synchro 9 in Ice Barriers is somewhat difficult to pull of except by resorting to Level 2 Tuners. Then, as a Level 10, you will be able to raise her ATK to 3000~3100, which I don't think would become a problem.

Regardless, in the 1vs1 Contest Ain adressed this card's greatest issue: Basically it is an Ancient Gear Shi-En who can recycle an Ice Barrier every turn. If Shi En is enough of a problem, how a monster with those 3 effects combined would be? Granted, she is not as easy to Summon as Shi En, and she is intended to a aid a rather undersupported archetype, but still I think you should drop either the AG effect or the recycling one. Personally I would drop the recycling effect so she won't be able to generate an insane amount of advantage by negating an S/T and recycling a card (for a total of +2) every turn.

While a Level 10 would be easier, I still think Sakura made the right choice of making this card a Level 9. That, and the fact that it aids an under-supported archetype justifies its ability to recycle. Plus, you must remember that the negation is limited to once per turn and it has to destroy a monster to recycle, it's not a guaranteed recycle each turn. Also, the ATK stats are perfect at 2900. Any higher it would just be meh. If an effect must be dropped, then I recommend only dropping the "When this card attacks: Spell/Trap Cards cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step." Otherwise, I really don't think the card is overpowered in any way.

The recycle was designed to keep hand advantage (which Ice Barriers need to keep when using Gungnir/other things which deplete cards in hand). But yes, it does require a monster to be destroyed (although with 2900 ATK, it will probably get that effect off). Perhaps if I limit that to Level 4 or lower Ice Barriers only; that way you won't get to return the Generals to hand for Triangle.

I can drop the Shi-en effect: Ice Barriers can still resort to Solemns and other cards to negate S/T and second effect still covers that to some degree in an implicit form (though it's limited to only her attack during BP). Otherwise, I can add another cost onto it, though as Strawberry mentioned, it's only one negate per turn [but that's essentially like Dark Bribe or whatever each turn, so point taken on it]

As for making this Level 10, it would make it easier to bring out (I'll admit, I can't always bring out Level 9s quickly in my Ice Barrier build; takes a bit of setup [Level 7 and 8s, I can drop relatively quickly]

I'll consider all of the comments you guys gave and update the first post later.

Thanks for the CnC though (reps given)

I can drop the Shi-en effect: Ice Barriers can still resort to Solemns and other cards to negate S/T and second effect still covers that to some degree in an implicit form (though it's limited to only her attack during BP). Otherwise, I can add another cost onto it, though as Strawberry mentioned, it's only one negate per turn [but that's essentially like Dark Bribe or whatever each turn, so point taken on it]

This is a better idea. From the 3 effects that one is arguably the most dangerous so the card should be fine after it is gone.

I was thinking that you could give the Princess an "upgraded" version of the AG effect in order to make up for the effect you are removing. How about something like this?

While you control another face-up "Ice Barrier" monster, your opponent cannot activate card or effects during the Battle Phase.

I would say this sticks with the theme of Ice Barriers by being both a protection effect, and requiring another Ice Barrier monster on the field to work (e.g. Defender, Cryomancer, etc.).  Also, this effect would be able to protect all monsters you control from BP effects (including annoying Honest-like monsters), and not only herself.

If you think that negating effects during the entire BP and/or protecting non-Ice Barriers would be too much, you can always water the effect down to:

If an "Ice Barrier" monster you control attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

[quote name="caezx" post="6306890" timestamp="1384635560"]Just fixing OCG   1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner WATER monsters While you control another face-up "[url=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=220&type=2&ext=181244043010&item=181244043010]Ice Barrier[/url]" monster, your opponent cannot activate card effects during the Battle Phase. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target 1 "[url=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=220&type=2&ext=181244043010&item=181244043010]Ice Barrier[/url]" monster in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.[/quote] It's no longer "to your hand", it's "to the hand".

Archived