[Someone] Medallion Warriors, new style of Deck-playing! [Updating]

-Noel-

well, just have some idea of this set after seeing some appropriate images, maybe a while for next update, all CnC/love/rate/hate/fix are welcome :)

Monsters

[spoiler="Medallion Knight"]
L7MI7CE.jpg
Lore:
When this card is Normal Summoned: Add 1 "Medallion" Spell or Trap card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can shuffle this face-up card into the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Medallion" Warrior-Type monster from your hand or Deck, except "Medallion Knight". This card cannot attack the turn it is Special Summoned. If you control another monster, this card cannot activate its effects.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Medallion Assassin"]
RO2f7Y6.jpg
Lore:
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by "Medallion Knight" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can only Special Summon "Medallion Assassin" once per turn. This card is unaffected by the effects of your opponent's monsters. When this card declares an attack: You can change the battle position of the attack target. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can shuffle this face-up card into the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Medallion Knight" from your hand or Deck.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Medallion Hunter"]
SHlfXE5.jpg
Lore:
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by "Medallion Knight" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can only Special Summon "Medallion Hunter" once per turn. This card is unaffected by the effects of your opponent's Trap Cards. When this card attacks or is attacked: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy it, unless your opponent discard 1 card to negate this effect. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can shuffle this face-up card into the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Medallion Knight" from your hand or Deck.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Medallion Gardna"]
TpWtoes.jpg
Lore:
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by "Medallion Knight" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can only Special Summon "Medallion Gardna" once per turn. This card is unaffected by the effects of your opponent's Spell Cards. If this face-up card would be destroyed, you can discard 1 card instead. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can shuffle this face-up card into the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Medallion Knight" from your hand or Deck.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Medallion Thief']
GQpK27Q.jpg
Lore:
You can Tribute this card; add 1 "Medallion" card from your Deck to your hand. During your Main Phase, when "Medallion Knight" is Special Summoned by the effect of a monster: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Immediately after this card is Special Summoned this way, Xyz Summon 1 Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck using this card and that "Medallion Knight" only.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Medallion Ninja']

DEeLniE.jpg

Lore:

When a card or effect is activated, if the only monsters you control are face-up "Medallion" monsters: You can pay 1000 Life Points and send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; negate the activation and destroy it, then your opponent draws 1 card. During your Standby Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can send 1 face-up "Medallion" Spell Card you control to the Graveyard; add this card to your hand. Otherwise, banish this card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Leon, the Loyalty Knight']

psNZQtP.jpg

Lore:

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 face-up "Medallion" Spell Cards you control to the Graveyard; shuffle 2 "Medallion" cards from your hand into the Deck and draw 1 card, then add 1 "Medallion" card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. During either player's turn: You can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Medallion Knight" from your hand or Deck. It cannot activate its effects until the End Phase. If a face-up "Medallion Knight" you control would be destroyed, you can banish this card from your Graveyard instead.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Medallion Jester']
bYGVvg4.jpg
Lore:
2 Level 3 "Medallion" monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Medallion Knight" from your Deck or Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, the effects of all face-up Level 3 or lower monsters on the field are negated. All face-up "Medallion" Spell/Trap Cards you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by a card effect. This card gains 600 ATK for each Spell/Trap Card you control. If you control a monster other than "Medallion" monsters, this card's effects are negated. During either player's turn: You can return this face-up card to the Extra Deck; take 1 Level 4 or lower "Medallion" monster from your Deck, and either add it to your hand or Special Summon it, ignoring the Summoning conditions.
[/spoiler]
Spells

[spoiler="Medallion of Balance"]

2iNCra2.jpg
Lore:
When this card is activated: You can add 1 Warrior-Type "Medallion" monster from your Deck to your hand. While you control only 1 face-up Warrior-Type monster, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. Each time a "Medallion" monster is Summoned: Place 1 Medallion Counter on this card (max. 5). All face-up Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF for each Medallion Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 7 Medallion Counters from anywhere on your side of the field; draw 1 card. You cannot Summon or Set any monsters from your hand during the turn this effect is activated.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Medallion of Speed"]
YYkjKPG.jpg
Lore:
While you control only 1 face-up Warrior-Type monster, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. Each time a "Medallion" monster is Summoned: Place 1 Medallion Counter on this card (max. 5). While this card has a Medallion Counter on it, all face-up LIGHT Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 300 ATK. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can remove 5 Medallion Counters from anywhere on your side of the field to target 1 face-up "Medallion" monster you control and activate 1 of these effects;
● It is unaffected by other Spell effects this turn.
● It is unaffected by Trap effects this turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Medallion of Illusion"]
YiiyL0A.jpg
Lore:
While you control only 1 face-up Warrior-Type monster, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. Each time a "Medallion" monster is Summoned: Place 1 Medallion Counter on this card (max. 10). While this card has 3 or more Medallion Counters on it, Counter Trap Cards cannot be activated. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can remove 3 Medallion Counters from anywhere on your side of the field; Special Summon 1 "Medallion Illusion Token" (Insect-Type/WIND/Level 3/ATK 1000/DEF 1000) in Defense Position to your opponent's side of the field. This token cannot be Tributed or be used as a Synchro Material Monster. When a "Medallion Illusion Token" is destroyed, your opponent takes 400 damage.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Medallion of Gravity"]
Fz8Wl4t.jpg
Lore:
While you control only 1 face-up Warrior-Type monster, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. Each time a "Medallion" monster is Summoned: Place 1 Medallion Counter on this card (max. 5). While this card has a Medallion Counter on it, all face-up WATER Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can remove 7 Medallion Counters from anywhere on your side of the field and discard 1 card to target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand.
[/spoiler]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:

First off, it seems the monsters share a bit with the Gladiator Beasts, except they are not limited to the Battle Phase. Not to say there isnt anything wrong with that.

On that note, though, you should probably add that you cant shuffle them back during the Damage Step.

Really awesome ideas! :D

About the monsters:
Knight - Pretty good. But I think the last effect should read "You must control no other monsters to activate and resolve this effect." Maybe?
All of the others are good too except a few minor wordings, that i think would sound better, but not sure if they'd be correct.

Spells:
Balance - Good at adding attack (especially since the monsters have low ATK)
Speed - I like it. Possibly even change it so you would've have to remove all of them for it's "wisdom" effect. Or lower the max number.
Illusion - Seems kind of OP, needing only 1 counter to stop things such as Warning.

For most of these over all it is really hard to tell. I love the idea/concept of both the monsters and spells. But at the same time it is hard to see rather it is possible to spam Knight enough to get the Spells effects.

That looks like Optimus prime. The last one I mean. 

Anyways, Medaillon as in "heraldic beasts" right? Or am I mistaking? 

Cause, it really helps to know things like that XD

Medallion is the name of "Heraldry" in OCG such as High Medallion Art (OCG) = Advance Heraldry Art (TCG), but yea it's not so much mistaking there

Two things:

First off, it seems the monsters share a bit with the Gladiator Beasts, except they are not limited to the Battle Phase. Not to say there isnt anything wrong with that.

On that note, though, you should probably add that you cant shuffle them back during the Damage Step.

well my cards' text are written as "Once per turn. during either player's turn" which mean it's just a trigger effect which if i didnt specified it, it already cant activate during damage step (like most cards with this text such as Pleiades or Spark Dragon)

Really awesome ideas! :D

About the monsters:
Knight - Pretty good. But I think the last effect should read "You must control no other monsters to activate and resolve this effect." Maybe?
All of the others are good too except a few minor wordings, that i think would sound better, but not sure if they'd be correct.

Spells:
Balance - Good at adding attack (especially since the monsters have low ATK)
Speed - I like it. Possibly even change it so you would've have to remove all of them for it's "wisdom" effect. Or lower the max number.
Illusion - Seems kind of OP, needing only 1 counter to stop things such as Warning.

For most of these over all it is really hard to tell. I love the idea/concept of both the monsters and spells. But at the same time it is hard to see rather it is possible to spam Knight enough to get the Spells effects.

for Knight, i intentionally make it cant activate either search or shuffle effect, so if i use a lore like that i can still search, in addition if Skill Drain or fiendish chain is used, this part that not a condition will be negated, so i can shuffle this card back into the Deck (as cost) to ss a monster even i control another monster. and yea i have another idea about Speed but well about Illusion i have to accept that i think Counter Trap Cards are the biggest weak points of this deck yea but i deal with it too OP. so i will do sth

and thx for all comments  :lol:

done, Speed can hold 5 and require 5 per use, and Illusion need 3 or more to prevent Counter Trap from using

Medallion is the name of "Heraldry" in OCG such as High Medallion Art (OCG) = Advance Heraldry Art (TCG), but yea it's not so much mistaking there

well my cards' text are written as "Once per turn. during either player's turn" which mean it's just a trigger effect which if i didnt specified it, it already cant activate during damage step (like most cards with this text such as Pleiades or Spark Dragon)

for Knight, i intentionally make it cant activate either search or shuffle effect, so if i use a lore like that i can still search, in addition if Skill Drain or fiendish chain is used, this part that not a condition will be negated, so i can shuffle this card back into the Deck (as cost) to ss a monster even i control another monster. and yea i have another idea about Speed but well about Illusion i have to accept that i think Counter Trap Cards are the biggest weak points of this deck yea but i deal with it too OP. so i will do sth

and thx for all comments  :lol:

done, Speed can hold 5 and require 5 per use, and Illusion need 3 or more to prevent Counter Trap from using

Ah I understand why you Knight and others that way now. Good Reasoning. 

@Scary if i didnt know that, then illusion won't exist, yea i fully aware of that point

@Hikari-chan thx, and also i didnt make this card based on Gladiator Beast, it just my idea itself to make them only 1 monster to switch form or sth like that, yea but i will not object that their concept are similar to each other

I think on Assassin it should be "You can change the battle position of the attack target".

Anyways the cards work fine together and the art is great and the entire set matches, but seeing as there is no powerhouse/high level support and their attacks are a little low I cant see a deck built around just them, which would be a problem because for their effects to work you cant control other monsters. Also for each of the medallions effect that require removing counters, they seem to require too many for the effect that is activating.

I would try to make an xyz that has a very powerful effect focused on buffing these specific monsters, that way you can get away with it seeming op, because it supports such a few number of cards (maybe make it so even if its on the field the spells/medallion knights effect can still activate). Also because the entire deck seems to revolve around Medallion Knight maybe make a card that is treated as Medallion Knight or that can copy a monsters effect from your hand? that way its easier to pull this deck off.

Anyways, seeing as how Medallion Knights stats are low, and even the others stats are average (even though they must be Ss in a specific way) I see no problem with adding +300ATK and DEF to each card, that certainly would help them out and they would still not be op by any means.

(Oh and I know what you mean by wanting more feedback, I've had posts before with like 300 views and the only replies were my bumps, good luck!)

thx u very much, i think i can bear it if my thread have no replies, just a little complain *sniff* oh well thx for suggestion, yea the only reason i didn't continue this is i can't find an idea of another monsters since i already sealed my Knight's effect that way, but well it's worth to try your advice, also thx for a nice review :D

thief search effect are quite slow, to think that u lose ur normal summoned for just a search, but well when considering the whole series's speed, i think it's well-balanced, and Jester is interesting, so it allow ur cards to use their max potential even u control both jester and another Medallion monster (since with ur description about Knight's effect and if i didnt misunderstanding it, Knight's effect can still activated since Jester negated the "can't activate part" right? then when Knight is shuffle back to the Deck, it's not count as a face-up monster so its effect can still resolve, right? very nice idea, well those cards concept are nice idea from the start :)

I love the idea, but how about restricting them Medallion Knight to once per turn? Or perhaps stopping them from going back to the deck the turn they're special summoned? Because, as it stands, you can swing with Medallion, then use eff to go for Assassin, then back for Medallion, then Hunter, then Medallion... you see where I'm going with on that.

Considering base ATK, that combo would amount to...

1000+1900+1000+1600+1000+1300+1000=8800, if my math is right. That's ridiculous when it can all be stemmed from just a single card. Okay, opponent does nothing, passes back, I ROTA for Knight, that's GG.

All the monsters seem balanced, in my opinion.

On the Medallions, I like them, but why is Speed exclusive to Assassin, and why does Gravity need the Evacuation effect, or be Water exclusive, and such a high boost? That's just incentive to run DNA Transplant. How about one that gives blanket spell immunity, trap immunity, monster eff immunity, and so on so on, with one that allows for recursion? Splitting them up seem better, in my opinion. Or at the very least, let them remove counters from anywhere on the player's side of the board.

Due to complaints of the possibility of dead hands, even with ROTA, Balance (also, why does it say "Warrior-type"? Did you plan on making non-warriors?) and Thief, you would still clog. How about something like Gladiator Beast's Respite, but you return one, draw one. Obviously in the form of a Medallion continuous spell.

Maybe generic 5 counters, +100 atk/def, remove 2 counters, return 2 draw 2? Remove 5, return 2, draw 3? Just suggestion, I think it would help deal with the bad hands.

tldr, give them a GB's Respite, fix their shuffling back, generally, it's too strong, I recommend scaling back Jester's 700 boost to 500, and all monsters back by ~500 ATK points. After 10 SS's as it is, you've broken the power threshold doubly so, and with protection and destruction effects to boot. On Medallions, I seriously recommend reworking most of their effects. Possible to just have Balance count all counters on the field and give boost from that, and capping all of their counters at 5.

edit: Honestly feel that the XYZ shouldnt be able to return itself to the extra in that fashion (in my opinion). How about it tributing itself off as a cost? As new cards release, extra decks get smaller, this lets them run a much more flexible extra deck, than something like say, Ghostrick.

I mentioned Ghostrick, because decks like Ghostrick aren't allowed to play because Jester. A deck with an engine like that shouldn't have blanket wide negation, I suggest fixing it to l3's that you control. 

Get past banish decks, Skill Drain, all backrow ever (minus the counter traps nobody runs, not including Solemn Warning) , dodge Veilers, shuts down all L3 or lower decks, one card OTK that only requires a single copy of each Medallion Knight in the deck, can run Kaiser Colosseum better than Bujin...only "loses" to Gozen Match and Overworked (wait, not Overworked, because you can dodge literally every normal trap card in the game. Compulsory Escape Device, anyway?), because there isn't a seperate Earth Medallion for him.

Archived