[Someone] Return of the Penguins! yea u heard that correctly [Updating]

-Noel-

it's been a while since i make a card set, so here we go! only 6 monsters and 1 Spell here since pics of this theme are a bit hard to find but i will try it, and well i said all i should say about this set here, so hope u like this :)

Monsters
[spoiler="Penguin Spirit"]
f27RxdL.jpg
Lore:
When this card is Normal Summoned, if you control no other face-up monsters: You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Penguin" monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position or face-down Defense Position. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Penguin" monster you control; until the End Phase, this card's Level becomes the current Level of that monster.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Penguin Squire']

2ZV42fi.jpg

Lore:

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Penguin" monster from your hand or Graveyard. You can target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand. When your opponent would Special Summon a monster: You can banish this card in your Graveyard; negate the Special Summon, and if you do, return it to the hand. You must control no face-up monsters to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only use 1 "Penguin Squire" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Major Penguin"]
fDg3uHb.jpg
Lore:
1 WATER Tuner + "Penguin Soldier"
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Arctic Dragon Lord"]
7TMVCd5.jpg
Lore:
1 WATER Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Penguin" monster
(This monster is always treated as a "Penguin" monster)
If this card battles an opponent's monster, it gains 300 ATK during damage calculation only. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 face-up "Penguin" monster you control; it is unaffected by other card effects until the End Phase. You must control a face-down card to activate and to resolve this effect.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Penguin Magician"]
n5AwTWh.jpg
Lore:
2 Level 2 "Penguin" monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card to target 2 cards on the field; return those targets to the hand. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation. You must control a face-down card to activate and to resolve this effect.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Penguin Archmage"]
xyJOSRc.jpg
2 Level 4 "Penguin" monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand. You must control a face-down card to activate and to resolve this effect. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 monster on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position. If you do, You can discard 1 card and target 1 face-down card on the field; return that target to the hand.

[/spoiler]

Spells

[spoiler='Penguin Burst']

vKtn9OR.jpg

Lore:

Target 1 Level 4 or lower "Penguin" monster you control; it gains 1500 ATK and is unaffected by the effects of Trap Cards, also it's Attribute becomes FIRE. Destroy it during the End Phase. During your Main Phase or your opponent's Battle Phase: You can banish this card in your Graveyard to target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. You must have a "Penguin" monster in your Graveyard and control no face-up cards to activate and to resolve this effect.

[/spoiler]

Pendragon doesn't fit.. like at all. Get rid of it. Its as if you don't know the meaning of "Pendragon". It is a term coined in the Arthurian Legends meaning "Dragon's Head". Why is it like this? Simple. 

The Arthurian Legends start out with Uther riding his horse with Merlin at his side. It was sunset, and Uther glanced over at it, and saw this absolute gorgeous dragon, with a flaming mane (it was actually a comet). This appearance stunned and bewildered him. Thus, he felt as if it had bestowed upon him a duty. So he changed his name from "Uther Ambrosius" to "Uther Pendragon".

Tell me, what exactly does a dragon have to do with Penguins? This is the only thing that doesn't fit. Everything else is just absolutely flawless.

Pendragon doesn't fit.. like at all. Get rid of it. Its as if you don't know the meaning of "Pendragon". It is a term coined in the Arthurian Legends meaning "Dragon's Head". Why is it like this? Simple. 

The Arthurian Legends start out with Uther riding his horse with Merlin at his side. It was sunset, and Uther glanced over at it, and saw this absolute gorgeous dragon, with a flaming mane (it was actually a comet). This appearance stunned and bewildered him. Thus, he felt as if it had bestowed upon him a duty. So he changed his name from "Uther Ambrosius" to "Uther Pendragon".

Tell me, what exactly does a dragon have to do with Penguins? This is the only thing that doesn't fit. Everything else is just absolutely flawless.

I just simply want some dragon boss monster that can get rid of 2800 beater and act like Felgrand, and it's coincidence for the name mix, well at first i only deciding about that's card name, then when i realized that name i continue making that kind of effects. (in other words, its effects come from that name) and yea i can just simply use Penguin Dragon from the start, but that sounds so normal for a boss monster ;)

...This is the only thing that doesn't fit. Everything else is just absolutely flawless.

I agree with the "flawless" bit the most here. While the name "Pendragon" bothers me a bit, for the same reasons as above, the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with it. Yu-Gi-Oh! has used some pretty odd naming conventions for cards before for less reason than this, that it sounds like a combination of penguin and dragon, so it's kind of like, I don't know, following Yu-Gi-Oh! tradition. Either way though, I like these cards, and I look forward to seeing more.

Pretty neat/nice over all. Just a few comments

Major Penguin - I like it, but I'm thinking maybe there should be some cost or stipulation in the effect. Not that I think it is bad/broken because it is a pretty weak synchro still. Also I'm sure you meant "Once per turn, during either player's turn:"

Archmage - I'm a little confused as to when to use the last effect. Did you mean as part of/right after the other effect? Or make it gain this effect for later use?

Here are some suggestions.

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 monster on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position, then you can discard 1 card and return 1 face-down card on the field to the hand.

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 monster on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position, and if you do, this card gains the following effect during this turn.

*You can discard 1 card and target 1 face-down card on the field; return that target to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Penguin Archmage" once per turn.

ty for a feedback, and yea looks like I'm so sleepy the time I made them, will fix Major as soon as possible, but for its balance, I think the fact that this must be tuned from some unique effect monster like Penguin Soldier, and as u mentioned, that pretty low stat made it balanced imo. and about Archmage, it should be the first one, so that u can return something that has "when this card leaves the field" w/o any hesitation, or maybe use it as only Book of Moon, also ". If you do:" is better than ", then" for an optional effect like this

tbh I didn't use this bcoz I like, but the new OCG system use this, also from your "then...and" will make both discard and return resolve at the same time and make you can return a card w/o targeting which too powerful imo, and even you use "then...to" that most fit this, it's already replaced by ". If you do:" for the new OCG of Konami

I know the way I had it in the first example doesn't target. That's the way it would need to be in that case. Although it would be a semi powerful effect the thing does take 2 specific monsters, so I wouldn't call it overpowered. And i'm not sure I have ever seen an example of what you're talking about.

Penguin Squire is overpowered in my opinion. A free bounce plus a summon negation. Not to mention its synergy with Lightsworns. You should at least add that restriction of controlling a face-down card, like you did with the other monsters.

Other than that, these cards are adorable! And awesome! Good job.

Penguin Squire is overpowered in my opinion. A free bounce plus a summon negation. Not to mention its synergy with Lightsworns. You should at least add that restriction of controlling a face-down card, like you did with the other monsters.

Other than that, these cards are adorable! And awesome! Good job.

well, I intentionally made it powerful but with Dragon Rulers clause from the start, but if u think that's so much, maybe I'll considering it after I got more criticism to that card

Archived