Should we replace swear words with other words instead of asterisks?

I remember thinking of adding words to the list, but in the end other than the main ones that are offensive everywhere (no examples) I couldn't really think of any.

I do remember thinking of replacing swear words with "funny" stuff. Replace the F-word with frog. "What the frog is going on here?!" "You're so frogging stupid!" Replacing the S-Word with Spit. "What a load of bullspit!" and the N-word with Ninja, among other generally unfunny things.

On an unrelated note, on some other site I modded I replaced insults and swears with the names of other users on that particular site. "You're such a YugiMoto1994!"

ON AN ACTUALLY RELATED NOTE!

My one main "problem?" with the swear list is that it's easy to bypass. Also, a bunch of swears are still available anyway. If I recall correctly, the word "nigga" and "niggas" goes up uncensored.

tl;dr - In my opinion, you should either go all the way with swear words, or just get rid of the list. Half measures are for lamers and meth cooks.

I remember thinking of adding words to the list, but in the end other than the main ones that are offensive everywhere (no examples) I couldn't really think of any.

I do remember thinking of replacing swear words with "funny" stuff. Replace the F-word with frog. "What the frog is going on here?!" "You're so frogging stupid!" Replacing the S-Word with Spit. "What a load of bullspit!" and the N-word with Ninja, among other generally unfunny things.

That's stupid, because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmuQ9iRHfOU

Ninja is already a replacement for "nigga."

Censors are stupid, anyways. People don't speak in asterisks when swearing. If I want to call someone a bitch-ass nigga, I don't say "B-asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-H-A-asterisk-S N-asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-A."

Yeah, it's supposed to be a kids site, but kids swear all the time. We ain't protecting them from anything they haven't already learned on the playground or at home, and the number of hostile new members who've lash back at criticism with an onslaught of asterisks and exclamation points over the years is proof of that.

You'll also probably end up with instances where a word will get censored when it's actually just part of an actual, non-offensive word.

As mentioned, the standard for what is offensive and should be attended to varies from person to person, or region to region. I personally tend to categorize some words as "casual" swears that usually aren't offensive in most contexts. Some people might object even to those terms. It'll eventually become an issue of "censor everything" to appease everyone who had their favorite curse word replaced with asterisks.

So I would probably consider expanding the list if the curse word is both commonly used in an offensive context, or has a significant taboo associated with it (N-word and F-word both fall easily into both criteria). 

You'll also probably end up with instances where a word will get censored when it's actually just part of an actual, non-offensive word.

Yeah but other than niggardly (which means a stingy, miserly person) or snigger (how people from the 1700s say snicker), is there really any word that you can think of that would do? Furthermore, isn't there an "exceptions" list as well?

Doesn't seem to work that way, except for fuck. (testing: buttf***)

For example, b****ing isn't censored.

Never personally found the point of censors because the intent is still there and, as Golden says, I'm sure kids already know the words.

EDIT: Owait, buttf*** isn't censored either. I'm manually censoring all of it here.

I agree and disagree at the same time. It definitely depends how you grew up.if something will offend you. I mean where i live everyone curses like sailors. Everything from Fuck to the C word. I think even censoring it doesn't make a big impact though because everyone knows what you're trying to say anyway. I think censoring words is just a comfort thing. But i definitely understand wanting some words censored. So i guess i support this.

Aix, I'm thinking there's the chance mods are unaffected by the filter, because Mugen also successfully posted uncensored words.

I guess I am bored enough to try to check the list for some of those words, though...the ones that probably should be filtered because they're obviously supposed to be.

If words offend you, either grow a pair or ignore them.

Honestly, I see no point. I think most people here are mature enough to not get their panties in a bunch when someone swears.

SPOILER: YCM is full of children. Sure, for people with over 1000 posts there are probably more 18+ year olds than younger, however the majority of users and new users outside of the "YCM-elite" are less than 18.

Just because they 'swear' all the time, doesn't mean this forum should expose it to them, especially if their parents possibly ban them when they see swearing here.

I barely swore as a child, neither did my sister. As I got older sure I swore in my room at my PC mainly, but never on forums because I felt it was not appropriate. Unless I was talking with friends over the net.

Archived