THIS is One Piece (done right) [18+ Card Set] CRITICISM WELCOME!

ShinobiFingers

Untitled.png?t=1390538855

Romance | Adventure | Inherited Will | Dreams | Ambition | Friendship | Freedom

[Updated January 13th 2016] 15+ card set (deleted a few since inception)

Hello friends, Pwnobi here bringing you a One Piece realistic card achetype based on the popular anime / manga series by the same name! I've been making cards and archtypes on this site for several years (2008) with very few of my ideas actually circulating the forums. I created this with close friend ZKaiser. Cards and their descriptions will be given, followed by thematic and gameplay reasoning, OCG discussion, and other tid-bits / explainations along the way. I plan to update this thread as I / we make updates to card effects / artwork (yes, I know I'm using some Pre and some Post time-skip pictures!), and release new cards. Please help me / us as we try to make this archtype a fun and realistic one for both its pilot and competitors (balance / art / OCG etc). We do play with this deck IRL at locals for fun (there are other players in our area that use YCM). With no more delays... !

P.S. Contains spoilers! Fans not up to date, who don't want to be spoiled, come back later! (:

[spoiler=Monsters][spoiler=Straw Hat Captain - Luffy]
JNWwh2Q.jpg

This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. When a face-up "Straw Hat" monster you control is targeted by a card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand and negate the effect. When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card other than "Straw Hat Captain - Luffy": Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy that target.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Swordsman - Zoro]

smhDX0K.jpg

When this card is Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Halve that target's ATK. When this card inflicts Battle Damage, at the end of the Battle Phase: You can return this card to the hand; Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand, other than "Straw Hat Swordsman – Zoro."

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Navigator - Nami]

RmXZUv6.jpg

When this card is Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card: Inflict 500 damage to your opponent, and if you do, increase your Life Points by the damage dealt. During either player's turn, while your opponent controls a monster with higher ATK than this face-up card: You can return this card you control to your hand; Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand, other than "Straw Hat Navigator – Nami."

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Sniper - Usopp]

3oLh8Qf.jpg

When this card is Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card: You can return this face-up card you control to your Deck. If you do, Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat Sniper - Sogeking" from your Extra Deck. You can only control 1 face-up "Straw Hat Sniper" monster.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Cook - Sanji]

o8nWE7y.jpg

During either player's turn: You can return this card you control to the hand and Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand, other than "Straw Hat Cook – Sanji." It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Straw Hat Cook - Sanji" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Doctor - Chopper]

uwlltZg.jpg

You can discard this card from your hand; Add 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. When this card is Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card: It's original ATK becomes 2400. During your Standby Phase: Return this face-up card you control to the hand; Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand, other than “Straw Hat Doctor – Chopper.”

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Historian - Robin]

Fz1g5fG.jpg

If this card is Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card: You can Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat Historian - Robin" from your Deck. Its effect is negated. When this card is Normal Summoned: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; It cannot activate its effects or attack while this card remains face-up on the field. When that target is removed from the field: Return this card you control to the hand: Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand other than "Straw Hat Historian - Robin."

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Shipwright - Franky]

pJOAeBL.jpg

When a face-up "Straw Hat" monster you control is targeted for an attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand and negate the attack. When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Straw Hat" card other than "Straw Hat Shipwright - Franky": Add 1 "Thousand Sunny" card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Musician - Brook]

QWLjxVl.jpg

You can discard this card and target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change it to face-down Defense Position. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can return this card to your hand; Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand, other than "Straw Hat Musician – Brook." You can only use this effect of "Straw Hat Musician - Brook" once per Duel.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Emergency Switch]

WUWtUxe.jpg

Return 1 face-up Straw Hat monster you control to the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your Deck. During the End Phase of this turn, return that face-up monster to the Deck.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Faithful Ship - Going Merry]

4W0gesl.jpg

Each time a "Straw Hat" monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned (except by the effect of this card): Place 1 Dream Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 2 Dream Counters from cards you control; Special Summon 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Thousand Sunny - Mini Merry II]

CtsWydr.jpg

When this card is activated: Place 2 Dream counters (Max:2) on this card. Each time you Normal Summon a "Straw Hat" monster: Place 1 Dream Counter on this card. You can remove 2 Dream counters from cards you control: Add 1 "Straw Hat" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Thousand Sunny - Mini Merry II" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Traps]

[spoiler=Thousand Sunny - Coup De Burst]

RV1xEB0.jpg

Return 1 "Straw Hat" monster you control to your hand; "Straw Hat" monsters you control cannot be targeted by attacks this turn. Then, target 1 monster your opponent controls; return that target to the hand.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Dream Ship - Thousand Sunny]

5puOWcu.jpg

2 Level 4 "Straw Hat" monsters
Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can change the battle position of this card. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; add 1 "Thousand Sunny" card from your Deck to your hand. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can special summon 1 "Straw Hat Shipwright - Franky" from your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Straw Hat Sniper - Sogeking]

6wvCbaM.jpg

Can only be Summoned by the effect of "Straw Hat Sniper - Usopp." When this card is Special Summoned: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls. You can only control 1 face-up "Straw Hat Sniper" monster.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Thematic Discussion]

As any trained One Piece fan can tell, we have embedded a lot of One Piece themes into our cards, trying to do the characters justice. Here I'll try to explain how we tried to manifest some tidbits of the characters into their cards. All of the Straw Hat monsters attack and defense points are 100 apart from each other, attack ranging from 2000 -> 1100 (Chopper representing 1400, his base at 400 and his boosted attack from his effect at 2400, averaging out to 1400), and defense from 1500 -> 900 (Luffy and Brook being exceptions, with 2000 and 0 respectively; Luffy because of his Devil's Fruit, and Brook because... he's already dead YOHOHO).

[spoiler=Monsters]Luffy - His effect to summon himself and blow up a face-up monster is derived from "Fuusen." He wouldn't hurt an enemy who didn't do anything wrong (face-down). Earth warrior pretty self explanatory.
Zoro - His halving effect is derived from his intimidation. Haki aside, characters throughout the series have often be intimidated by Zoro. Battle triggering his effect makes the most sense considering he is the only Straw Hat without a specific role, although he's obviously the Vice Captain / First Mate (;. Dark warrior makes sense given his "demonic" line of attacks.

Nami - Her life point damage / gaining effect derives from her love of thievery, hence the epithet "Cat Burglar Nami." The older picture makes sense with this effect, considering her epithet is likely to change to something more in line with her weather controlling ability. We tried to demonstrate this element of her character by making her a Water Spellcaster. 
Usopp - His effect to run away when he finds himself in battle and call for help is very in line with his character, even more-so with the Pre time-skip picture (my personal favorite picture). Wind warrior because he is a long range fighter dealing in projectiles (attacks traveling through the air). Earth might be a better attribute given the nature of "Pop Greens," however to show the diversity of the crew we're currently leaving him as is. 

Sanji - His effect to bounce himself with no condition (the only one in the archtype to do so) derives from his acquisition of Geppou, or "Sky Walk." Fire warrior because of Diable Jambe
Chopper - His effect to revive a fallen Straw Hat represents his role as the crew's doctor. Earth beast-warrior is perfect given the nature of his Devil's Fruit.

Robin - Her Fiendish-Chain-ish effect represents her signature move "Clutch." Her secondary effect to summon a copy of herself from the deck showcases her latest revealed ability to date, the power to clone herself. Dark plant because of her dark sense of humor / past and the fact that despite its application, her fruit is literally the flower-flower fruit.
Franky - His protection effect derives from the classic scene where he protected Robin from an array of bullets. His Thousand Sunny recruiting effect showcases his role as the shipwright. Earth machine is pretty self explanatory. 
Brook - His Book of Moon-ish effect derives from his almost hypnotic music-related abilities. Dark-Zombie represents his devil's fruit.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]

Emergency Switch - The picture is comic relief and makes sense given the nature of Usopp on the cover.
Going Merry - The second effect where it banishes itself to bounce a Straw Hat represents the ship's last efforts at Enies Lobby *tear
Mini Merry II - Carries a Straw Hat to where they need to be, with a DON; In this case, the hand (;

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Traps]Coup De Burst - Pretty self explanatory WE ARE OUTTA HERE.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Thousand Sunny - Recruiting effect / detach effect pretty self explanatory. Can't attack on summon because it takes awhile, these ain't hotwheels we're moving.
Sogeking - Effect to blow up any card representing that he's the SNIPER KING, he can hit you ANYWHERE (no matter what zone!). He doesn't have a return to the hand effect because his is a hero of justice, and he doesn't afraid of anything!

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Gameplay / Balance Discussion]

The skeleton for how this deck works is simple (skull-joke!). By fulfilling certain conditions, your monsters are able to return to your hand, and summon different monsters of the archtype. This enabled us as card designers to have fun creating a tool-box where we could showcase One Piece themes, while executing card effects to get out of various situations. Since the tools you can choose from at any given time are only from the hand, many of the monsters are also "hand traps." Here I'll explain why we took certain cards in the directions we did (in terms of gameplay). However, with a great tool-box comes a lot of potential for broken effects and overpowered combos. I'll also explain the measures we have in place to keep the deck competitive yet in grand line (okay I'm done with the puns, I promise).

[spoiler=Monsters]Luffy - With this deck having such a diverse and powerful tool-box, much of the monster line-up is sub-par in terms of attack. Luffy serves as one of the potential ways to deal damage within the deck. Destroying face-ups gives the deck outs to cards like Marshmallon, Spirit Reaper, etc. To compensate, he is unable to be normal summoned.
Zoro - The beatstick of the deck. The highest raw stats while still being level 4. To help compensate for this, his effect deals in lowering an enemy monster's attack points. In other words, when used by himself, he's just a 1900 beater (hardly unfair), when used within the archtype, he only adds on to this strength. Even if his base attack was lower, his effect would still enable him to run over most monsters by battle. In other words, Zoro serves as a card that helps the deck operate when on low economy, without being overpowered when you DO have your combo pieces.

Nami - Her bounce condition (when your opponent has a monster with higher attack than her) is one of the easiest to fulfill. She is useful in helping you trigger other Straw Hat effects in your current arsenal. To help compensate for this, her effect deals in life point manipulation, a generally agreed upon weak effect when not combined with any similar effects. However, she does serve as a unique card within the tool-box, and helps against burn-decks (making sense, considering she can control the weather). An effect like Nami's also allows players to create a different type of Straw Hat deck, such as a burn deck variant. Making the archtype less linear in terms of deck construction, which I think is nice.
Usopp - Usopp is the generic spot-destruction of the deck. Given how powerful spot-destruction is, he has many downsides. He has no way to bounce himself (if not already summoned by a Straw Hat, think... Gladiator Beast Secutor). Also, he has the lowest base stats making him somewhat of a potential dead draw. Finally, instead of returning to the hand, he returns to the deck.

Sanji - Sanji is the most useful monster in the deck (hence he is a secret rare). The fact that he has no condition to bounce himself makes him a real nuisance (no Bottomless Trap Hole, no Fiendish Chain, no Compulsory Evacuation Device, no Book of Moon (unless you're chaining to the activation of his effect), no Mirror Force, etc). From playtesting he is a potential problem-child and may need another hit with the nerf bat. Currently however, the monster he summons can't attack during the same turn it was summoned (preventing very high damage battle phase swaps).
Chopper - The "Warrior Returning Alive" of the deck. He helps the deck stay consistent by adding a method to search from the graveyard (useful since the deck has no recursion / graveyard summoning effects).

Robin - Another very strong monster of the deck. With no hand effect to speak of, she offers valuable effect negation on normal summon. However, she really shines with "when this card is Summoned by a Straw Hat card" effect. She is your basic 1 card makes 2 makes Xyz play (think Tour Guide, Crane Crane, etc). She doesn't have much in terms of drawbacks (besides only being able to pull from the deck), making her worthy of her secret rare status.
Franky - Offers the deck protection from attacks. It also gives the deck a way to get more monsters on the field in order to Xyz summon.
Brook - Allows you to put monsters face down (reminder: only during your turn, not quite a Book of Moon).

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]

Emergency Switch - Helps give the deck options, and helps clear your hand of potential dead draws (think Robin / Usopp / early game Chopper).
Going Merry - Gives the deck a potential way to swarm.
Mini Merry II - Gives the deck consistency.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Traps]Coup De Burst - Helps you manage your recources / options by putting a Straw Hat back to your hand (where you may want to use their hand trap effect). Also gives the deck an out to monsters unable to be dealt with by means of destruction. To help balance for the power of bouncing, you're going -1 if their card actually does return to their hand, and +-0 even if it was an extra deck monster.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Thousand Sunny - Main Xyz of the deck. Grants you advantage over time with its detaching effect. To help balance this, it has no effects to manipulate your opponent's board.
Sogeking - Ties in with Usopp, an extension of his strengths / weaknesses!

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Art Discussion]

Don't worry I won't discuss the art for every card. When making this archtype my main goal was to use as much art as possible from the source material (the manga / colorspreads). Aka, art drawn by Eiichiro Oda (the mangaka of One Piece) himself. Only Coup De Burst fell short of this. I gathered the pictures for all of the art on these cards myself (aka cut / pasted / re-sized etc). I know I used a mix of Pre and Post time-skip pictures (which I can see why some people may not prefer), but I really wanted to chose pictures that were very aesthetically pleasing to me. Also, I really wanted to use C O L O R S to help accent the cards.

[/spoiler]

I do duel with this deck IRL and will continue to perform testing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH if you read this far, and I would GREATLY appreciate your FEEDBACK and INPUT along with any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism you may have. Until then, happy sailing!~~

P.S.
[spoiler=My Custom One Piece Yu-Gi-Oh! Mat]

1074368_10152078958531562_1046871072_o.j

[/spoiler]

• 1 year later...

Changelog Bump: Changed/Updated art for Luffy, Going Merry, Franky, and Brook. Removed Black Rhino / Brachio Tank / Franky Shogun. Updated effects for Luffy / Sanji / Brook / Thousand Sunny (had been updated for awhile in my collection, forgot to make changes to post). Updated related sections for those cards (balance discussion etc). Technically this brings it down to a 15+ card set, but I believe I'm unable to change the post title. We may generate some more content.

I love this so much! I had a similar idea at an earlier date but never got round to it. Do you plan on expanding the archetype? Gear 2, 3 and 4 maybe? Or perhaps other characters from OP?

I understand why you made Robin a Plant-type but personally I would have made her a Spellcaster.

I also would have made Frankie a bit more DEF heavy.

As for the card effects (all of them), I can't offer constructive criticism because they are of a very high quality already.

Changelog Bump: Changed/Updated art for Luffy, Going Merry, Franky, and Brook. Removed Black Rhino / Brachio Tank / Franky Shogun. Updated effects for Luffy / Sanji / Brook / Thousand Sunny (had been updated for awhile in my collection, forgot to make changes to post). Updated related sections for those cards (balance discussion etc). Technically this brings it down to a 15+ card set, but I believe I'm unable to change the post title. We may generate some more content.

Just so you know, the bump rule only extends for 2 months for the thread creator.

You can remake the thread though at any time, but I have to lock this b/c it's over a year.

Sorry about that.

Archived