Pendulum Summon (With Rules)

An introduction to Pendulum Summons and the use of Pendulum Monsters.

This is a powerful Summon method using the Pendulum Scale that Pendulum Monsters have to summon several monsters in one strike!

noxKvdW.jpg

Basically, they are monsters, however they can be placed in the Pendulum Zones and be activated as Spell Cards!
They have the Pendulum Scale necessary for Pendulum Summons!

wvvYbMo.jpg

UQvwkFN.jpg

These are the Pendulum Zones!
By placing Pendulum Monsters in each Pendulum Zone on the left and right, you are ready to go!

cMq1CJm.jpg

521RKLi.jpg

Once you have Pendulum Monsters on each Pendulum Zone, you are ready to go!

L7TN4KU.jpg
oOxpEwa.jpg
i7iw7S8.jpg
HXdj668.jpg

The ability to Special Summon a large number of monsters whose Level is between the Pendulum Scales is the appeal of Pendulum Summons!
Depending on the Pendulum Scales of the Pendulum Monsters that are activated, it becomes very easy to Summon monsters of higher level!

Q6oRiLH.jpg

~ Point 1 ~
Placing a Pendulum Monster in a Pendulum Zone is treated as activating a Spell Card!
Also, they must be placed face-up! (It is not possible to set them face-down)

=> Since they are treated as Spell Cards, they can be destroyed by cards like Mystical Space Typhoon

~ Point 2 ~

A Pendulum Monster activated in the Pendulum Zone is treated as a Spell Card, and not as a monster.

=> They are not destroyed by cards like Dark Hole.

~ Point 3 ~

Pendulum Summons are Special Summons that happen on a single timing (simultaneously)!

=> Pendulum Summons can be negated by Solemn Judgment, and the monsters that would have appeared at that time are all sent to the Graveyard.

Source: http://www.ygorganization.com/ocg-master-rules-3-summary/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason this is confusing is because they are not fully detailed.

First, does that mean you start the game with the scales in place? or that you have to draw into them and place them?

If you draw into them (which is more likely to be the case), then does that count as free fall from the hand or does it need Tributes or something like a monster would?

When it's face-up in the Extra Deck, does that mean your Extra Deck is sealed off or that your pendulum just becomes instantly available through some sort of Extra Deck Summon mechanic? and how would that be the case if they were initially Main Deck cards?

If you have 2 Pendulum scales on the sides already, why is the third one so special for the Monster Card Zone?

Well, this last one I think I do get it, but what bothers me is that it sounds like you can't exactly be in top-deck mode and pull out a Pendulum.

Also, will it be just Pendulum Spell/Monster variants? 

What excites me though, is that we might see Synchros and Xyzs in the same anime if the last question I asked were to have more future options....

What interests me is that there are scale numbers on both sides of the Pendulum Monster cards. Perhaps eventually there will be Pendulum Monsters with 2 scale numbers, and where you place them will matter since (theorized) the number which matches the colour of the Zone is applied for Pendulum Summons.

Also, poor YGOPro. They'll have a ton of work to do here.

EDIT: Ninja'd by seconds.... *shrugs*

A-anyway..... now that I know the matching color is the case, I have a much MUCH better understanding of what the ranges are.

Though, I still think giving them "X or lower" as the range is stupidly broad. Personally...

I would probably assume you can, since it's just the addition of two zones opposite of the Monster Card ones. (If you play w/out a mat though, then just have to set aside some more space on each side to accomodate for it)

As for the summoning concept, Sleepy already noted my concerns over it. Not enough confirmed data to explain how it works (a demo of how it works should help)

what about playmats? do the currently playmats can't be used in the future?

I'm sure from now on they'll be updated, and people will allow the old ones to be used.

It's not such a big field change, just prepare your sides.

Many playmats aren't even marked, and it's not like old Fusions became illegal when the Zone started being called Extra Deck. I'm sure it'll be something along those lines. Besides, Pendulum Monsters that go in those zones are very specific (the half-looking cards) so it's not like there'll be a lot of mixing up in there.

Ok ok, from what I gather on the details:

1] It matters which zone is used.

Red Pendulum Zone uses Red Arrow scale.

Blue Pendulum Zone uses Blue Arrow scale.

The relevant arrows will mark the range of the potential Pendulum Summon Level.

2] Pendulum Summon and Pendulum Monster is not the same.

Pendulum Summoned monsters can be anything.

Pendulum Monsters are these dual-colored cards, so when the explanation talks about destroyed Pendulum Monsters going to the Extra Deck face-up, it only talks about these dual-color cards. Which are basically new age Tuners, which you need to draw into and play from your hand.

3] From hand/Extra Deck.

It's evident Pendulum Cards are NOT Extra Deck cards on their own.

They can only get there through being sent from the field to the Graveyard.

It implies that THAT is not an optional choice. Dead Pendulum Monsters go there, and since it's face-up, I'll guess that face-up part of the Extra Deck is public knowledge. I'll also assume that THAT development doesn't care about the Extra Deck limit at all.

4]You have a choice on how to playing Pendulum Cards.

You can either place them on either Pendulum Zone, or treat them like any Effect Monsters (with the exception that they won't get to the Graveyard from the field).

After dying, rather than being part of the Graveyard, they are safely stored in the Extra Deck so that you can bring them out pretty much for free whenever you can. They won't get any fancy effects (at least the 2 Magicians won't) that they wouldn't get from being Summoned the normal way, but they are still more availability thanks to the Pendulum Mechanic. They'll be very VERY recurrent in the anime, getting wiped out and coming back fairly constantly without need of revival.

5] You can now safely make a Shapesnatch Deck that won't worry about Tributing for it because no Tributes are worthy of Shapesnatch. This will open up the doors for more high-Level Summons, and will make it so that the "Tribute Summon" mechanic will pretty much die out unless a card's absolutely revolve around it (like Monarchs, Tefnuit, etc).

EDIT:
6] Also, this is purely speculation but, Blue Arrow scale most likely marks the "minimum", while the Red Arrow a "maximum".

So the range wouldn't actually be as wide for a beginning set.

It basically means that the time guy needs to go to your right, while astrology guy to the left in order to make 1 - 8 possible. 

Having the pendulum be 8 to 1 doesn't make sense and you'd screw yourself. Though there must be a meaning behind they synchronizing their efforts into a closed Level 4 range.... maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it'll be a plot device out of Yuya making a huge mistake at the start of the series.

If he does though, I'm calling it now.

Which brings me to the question: Can one just take them out like we do with Field Spell Cards if we want to put another one?

4. You can special summon from hand or from your extra deck Pendulum monsters with the scale numbers in between!

I don't think this is correct. I just think you can Special Summon any monster, except only Pendulum monsters from your Extra Deck chances are. Makes sense, but this rule conflicts with a card we already have that isn't a Pendulum. (That one bad Dragon thing.)

Due to Xyz having Ranks instead of Levels, maybe when the scales are the same, you can Xyz Summon with them from what number their scale is

For example, when you have both of those Magicians in the Pendulum Zones, their number becomes 4, so then they might be able to Xyz Summon with those two monsters together for a Rank 4 summon

4. In this turn with this pendulum summon you can summon any number of monsters from your hand and face-up pendulum monsters from your extra deck that are of levels 2-7
and you can only do this one time, so you can’t summon something now, draw some, and then summon some more later
in the same turn

Org's rule four.

Which makes this a really degenerate mechanic if that's correct.

Archived