Haikyuu!

Agro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUdidxh3wio

Never heard of this manga before the Spring 2014 list came out, but for some reason I really wanna watch this.

And apparently, I want it enough to make this thread a month and a bit before the show comes out (April).

Sports anime, you guize. Sports anime.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I think this has it's execution on the ball.

Definitely a bit of comedy, but this time it is nowhere near the focus, as known by the fact that it isn't of the genre. Also it never completely took over a scene for the first episode, unlike some things that don't have the genre but still try to sprinkle it on occasionally. Hopefully it's like that most of the time.

It's really obvious that they do take the sport very, very seriously, and out of the 3 anime I've so far started this season, this just blew me away the most.

What were the other 2?

JoJo & Dragonar Academy. I love them both, but JoJo wasn't an especially strong start (although I expect it to grow), and I did already read the first volume of Dragonar, so it was kind of a case of seeing the same thing again, but I guess it was still awesome. 

Though just so you know, I'm pretty locked on what I'm watching. If you want, you can still recommend me something for later, but I no longer want to watch so much while still airing. 

Enjoyed the first episode. I kinda wished they brought in some of the darker art-style for the epic moments. Specifically for the spike.

[spoiler="Example from the Manga"]
Haikyu_mangazo_manipuladora_manga_anime_
[/spoiler]

They translated it basically as just as a sort of motion blur effect, but I wasn't all that enthralled with it. I thought they could have done better. Or maybe I just REALLY like those panels in the manga that do that.

Definitely a bit of comedy, but this time it is nowhere near the focus, as known by the fact that it isn't of the genre. Also it never completely took over a scene for the first episode, unlike some things that don't have the genre but still try to sprinkle it on occasionally. Hopefully it's like that most of the time.

The comedy, as long as they're sticking to the manga, is likely to be more in line with something like Hinata's stomach aches from the first episode, and simply normal character interactions just done really goddarn well. I think it should continue to impress.

The comedy, as long as they're sticking to the manga, is likely to be more in line with something like Hinata's stomach aches from the first episode, and simply normal character interactions just done really goddarn well. I think it should continue to impress.

Oh man, I'm experiencing some really grand character interaction with my rewatching of Tari Tari, so I can really see what you mean. Haikyuu is exactly like that. 

Watched the first episode. Curious, but that's pretty much it.

[spoiler=spoiler]Hinata's jump ability is indeed pretty badass to watch, but I'm really only wondering how he and the Tobio will get along as teammates. Personally, I would've preferred Tobio as Hinata's opponent throughout, which kinda takes away from the potential suspense, especially with the lack of new opponents to look forward to.[/spoiler]

Not a big sports-anime fan, nor of sports in general, but I'll continue watching this just to see where it goes.

Watched the first episode. Curious, but that's pretty much it.

[spoiler=spoiler]Hinata's jump ability is indeed pretty badass to watch, but I'm really only wondering how he and the Tobio will get along as teammates. Personally, I would've preferred Tobio as Hinata's opponent throughout, which kinda takes away from the potential suspense, especially with the lack of new opponents to look forward to.[/spoiler]

Not a big sports-anime fan, nor of sports in general, but I'll continue watching this just to see where it goes.

If the one-shot is anything to go by, which is actually pretty similar this time (but not especially so), they very much can have threatening new opponents.

[spoiler=Also,]They'll get along just awful at first and it will be awesome to watch.[/spoiler]

Oh wait, what's in that spoiler is painfully obvious. At least half of it.

I only have experience with Chihayafuru, which urged me to try a sports anime out while airing more than I would have. I generally don't care for sports at all though nor do I really mind them but sports stories in general I think have a bigger effect on me, which is easily a rarity. 

Second episode was fun.

[spoiler=thoughts]
My only fear is like a lot of anime, including sports anime, that not much actually gets done every episode. I mean, in this episode they met their teammates, got rejected and then they came back to start to practice. I'm kinda surprised that took up a whole episode. It's always a little bit of a problem with manga turned into anime that it's not always set up to have the peaks and cliffhangers of a 22 minute television show, but hopefully each episode will have a little more happen further down the line.

NEXT EPISODE THE BEST DUDE SHOWS UP SO IT'S OKAY[/spoiler]

Archived