Instant Chat

Smear

I've been mod on another forum where one of these was used, alot of members used it to flood, and vent. Or if there was only one mod on become verbally abusive to said mod. While instant responses are good there are a multitude of ways to conduct these outside the forum, and modding a chat box when you may need to go back into records may take alot of time. Plus dependant on the system used you would need to make sure members don't use usernames of other members then cause chaos, given you won't be able to tell easily between the two members.

I'm going to be honest here...the restrictions placed in chat are not that hard to come up with.

Verbally abusive? You can:
Take out swear words like Aix does

Stop even our highest members from posting in the box (Which does take time to look into the history of, I admit....however if someone was in question then you could Command F your way through the history, could you not?)

Stop people with a low amount of posts from posting in chat (I dunno, 500 posts? I'd like even 1000 to be required but that could just be me)

Extreme: Require enough mods on for the box to be open

I really don't think that there are enough people here that would just sit by and watch someone verbally abuse someone.

They'd advise the victim to leave, report the guy, etc.

Same usernames? While it may not be effective, you could (if you can) make it to where our original log in information is used in the chat, since that never changes.

For anyone wondering what a chatbox would be like here, go look at the DN public chat for five minutes.

Then come back and tell me this is a good idea.

There is a reason we mock DN people so much. We are honestly not similar to them at all.

We don't come screaming "does this card work" "mods please come" "hahha i am invincible"

We are far more mature in that department. But it's going to take some work from stopping people from mentioning body parts every five seconds. =D

This is a massive shitfest. 

Terrible arguments all across the board, from both sides.

The preconceived notion that we shouldn't implement something simply because it's failed on a site that has literally nothing to do with this forum is legitimately astonishing. As for the whole "chatrooms = forum cancer" with the logic that it promotes people not to post; isn't the status feed literally the same shit? 

Don't even know why we're even discussing the probability of someone using this as a platform to insult or target a Moderator because honestly, if they really wanted to they could just use use the messenger, make a thread, or use said status feed.  

Actual anti-support argument: If the forum's are for proper topic discussion and the status feed is for everything else, then where the fuck does the chatroom fit in? It doesn't. 

So yeah, no support. Mainly due to it being the exact same thing as the status bar, but also because I really couldn't give less of a fuck about this. 

Archived