[Sakura] Otegine, Judgment Dragon of the Ice Barrier

氷結界の裁き龍オテギネ

(Hyoukekkai no Sabakiryuu Otegine)

kNZrSHw.jpg

1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner WATER monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a Spell Card, Trap Card or monster effect is activated: You can banish 2 "Ice Barrier" monsters from your Graveyard; negate the effect, and if you do, banish it. If this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can reveal an "Ice Barrier" monster in your hand, then target 1 card on the field; shuffle that target into the Deck.

Changes

• Non-Tuner component is generic WATER
  • S/T lock effect is scrapped (First effect can still keep tabs on S/T usage but OPT and requires banishing)
  • Last effect only bounces 1 card to the Deck (original effect allowed unlimited reveal/bouncing).

[spoiler=Original version]

PcsXSPd.jpg

1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner "Ice Barrier" monsters
Once per turn, if your opponent would activate a Spell/Trap Card or a monster effect: You can banish 2 "Ice Barrier" monsters in your Graveyard; negate the effect of that card, and if you do, banish it. When this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step. If this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can reveal any amount of "Ice Barrier" monsters in your hand; target the same amount of cards on the field and return them to the Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Origin]

Like the other three that are named after legendary spears, this one is derived from Otegine, one of the legendary three spears of Japanese mythology.

[/spoiler]

First effect is essentially an OPT Judgment for Ice Barriers. Second one locks down any S/T response from your opponent.

Third is a upgraded version of Dance Princess that can send any cards back to the Deck. Though, this card has to destroy something and make sure it goes to the graveyard in lieu of having another Ice Barrier around.

This has no relation to Judgment Dragon in any shape or form.

IMG Credit: http://stuffpoint.com/dragons/image/120537/blue-ice-dragon-wallpaper/

Anyway, Cnc/fix OCG/love/hate, etc.

Make sure you abide by the Advanced Clause of this section.

The usual reps are available for members who offer constructive/helpful comments.

(Oh and if the Japanese naming for this card is incorrect, please correct me)

Fixed the effect wording to conform better with PSCT and existing card effects. In particular the last effect didn't make sense as worded; targeting occurs at activation, generally if "targets" are selected at resolution the effect does not target.

Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a Spell Card, Trap Card or monster effect is activated: You can banish 2 "Ice Barrier" monsters from your Graveyard; negate the effect, and if you do, banish it. If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step. If this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can reveal any number of "Ice Barrier" monsters in your hand, then target an equal number of cards on the field; shuffle those targets into the Deck.

Honestly it does too much. I wasn't sure if you meant the first effect to be Quick or not; by the original wording it seemed like you did so I fixed it accordingly. If it could only be activated during your turn it would be less imba. That combined with immunity until the Damage Step seems like overkill, it has too much built-in protection for such a big butt and free spins.

Granted you're probably only gonna get a couple of spins at most the turn you drop it, but that's still a pretty game-breaking swing, especially when this effectively prevents any counterplay and encourages the opponent to not do anything unless they have 2+ outs. I hesitate to go so far as to call it degenerate but it kind of fits as there's not much you can do when they drop this except pray that you have at least two outs on your next turn after they plus for days.

Also is Salvage a thing in Ice Barriers? If so the third effect is kind of busted beyond belief.

I'd ditch the Armades effect. Make the first effect Quick and require only one Ice Barrier to be banished as cost, but instead of outright negating everything make it able to negate any effect that would either destroy or target an Ice Barrier monster, but not both. Perhaps make it once per Chain or once per Phase, that'd be kind of interesting. I realize you're going for a built-in Solemn but there aren't many ways to really balance that without making it a very watered down effect. Then buff the third effect and make it non-targeting removal by moving "target" selection to resolution. If Salvage is a thing don't buff it.

The third effect is insane when you combine it with the second.

Basically what you've done here is make a monster that's too difficult to summon, because Ice Barriers can't really swarm the field without generic water support, so getting the proper mats out will be extremely hard for them, but give it a set of effects that are just too overwhelming. I suggest toning the card down a fair bit, and easing up the summoning requirements:

What I'd do:

• Make the non-Tuner mats WATER instead of Ice Barrier. It already uses Ice Barriers for its negate engine so it won't be abused outside it's intended deck.

• Get rid of the second effect. Together with the first, it feels needlessly oppressive. Your opponent should have the chance to do something.

• Heavily nerf the third effect. Make it a discard 1 IB, return 1 or reveal 1 IB, return 1 if you don't do the 4th bullet.

• Give it a new effect to replace the second. Possibly a Scrap Dragon-esque thing that revives a non-Synchro IB upon blowing up.

Salvage is used in Ice Barrier decks a bit [I use 1-2 to keep stuff in hand], so third does end up as broken (especially with a full hand). I'll just lower it to two cards (I originally planned on that much, but why I went against better judgment and made it unlimited, idk)

As for the Solemn effect, they can still summon a monster but that's about the extent of stuff outside negation range. I'll scrap the S/T lock altogether (you can still negate with first effect, but only once that turn).

Requirements will get lowered to being generic WATER (it's still hard enough to summon)

But thanks for the CnC; I'll apply the necessary fixes later today.

Archived