Require answering a yu-gi-oh triva question for new member registration

By that I mean something very simple eg "what is yugi's ace monster? [either TCG or OCG name]" like they do on neo ark cradle. The reason is that no spambot is ever going to guess "Black Magician" or "Dark Magician" but that is something that virtually any yu-gi-oh fan would know. I'm not trying to weed people out here, just spambots. It could be extended to ask "What is the name of the protagonist's ace monster? [Any series is fine]" so that newer fans can answer it too.

Lets face it, the status feed has gotten 3+ spambots in the last 2 days alone. Why not stop them before they even join so the mods can do other things with their time.

Because spambots are smarter, one person finds out the answer to the question they share out the information-it's not necessarily impossible to counter bots but adding more questions won't stop them... something that requires more manual labour however might work (i,e a bar to move across a sign up page that requires java/html5) 

Because spambots are smarter, one person finds out the answer to the question they share out the information-it's not necessarily impossible to counter bots but adding more questions won't stop them... something that requires more manual labour however might work (i,e a bar to move across a sign up page that requires java/html5) 

heh heh, I didn't know that.

Questions did seem to hold them most back until the Spam Monitoring Service expired, I ban upto 10 a day now up from 0.

Totally support a question, but not necessarily a YGO one, because that will exclude alot of members.

I support having a question, but a Yugioh one might keep a few actual members away b/c they never grew up with the original series or something.

But I can agree that the spambots are annoying as heck lately.

We could add a captcha code to it, but that requires some work to implement. (I don't remember if we currently have one, though)

You know, we could just could just change the sign-up question every once in a while. I'm going to go try that.

Yeah, I forgot we did. Though normal mods need to go add the permissions for it themselves. Added the question "What year did the War of 1812 start?"

Will change it again when we start seeing more spambots again.

No support for specifically Yugioh questions, but I do think that switching up the questions or something is a good idea.

Added the question "What year did the War of 1812 start?"

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT? THAT WILL TAKE HOURS OF RESEARCH!

Re: Question

"What year did the war of 1812 start" is too easy for a bot to decipher. I belive some may even have that copy and paste parts of the question into it. Granted the past question had that too.

Anything that has only 4 characters or less as a response wouldn't be good enough.

Alternative: Leave a link to an imgur picture of a word. Put the link up. Tell them to read the word.

Re: "What is Yugi's ace?"

"I dunno, I just saw the first episode! I'm gonna guess... Exodia?"
"Just finished episode two. He almost beat Pegasus with that Skull thing... uhh... Summon Skull? Wrong? Let's try Summoned Skull. Wrong again? Hmm..."
"Yugi cried hard when he lost Exodia. That's gotta be it..."
"Finished the fourth episode! He used that Skull thing again. That's gotta be it! No? Maybe I'm mishearing it. Summoner Skull?"
"Oh... Joey's dueling someone?"
"Okay... Giant Soldier of Stone? The Moon? Come on YCM, work with me!"
"Ugh... "Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #1? Maybe I mispelled something..."
"Mystical Elf? Mystic Horesman? Monster Reborn? Blue Eyes? Celtic Guardian? What is it!?"
"Oh look, Joey's dueling again..."
"Oh... it's the Dark Magician."

-Finished the Battle City Arc-

"It's probably Slifer! No? Okay fine, 'Slifer the Sky Dragon'. No again!? Maybe they're OCGfags. Osiris. No!? Saint Dragon - The God of Osiris. Still nothing!?"

But basically, If we had to do a "what's a guy's ace" card, ask for Kaiba's instead. His has always been Blue Eyes White Dragon, since the very beginning.

Re: "HURR! Honeypot!"

No one knows what you're talking about.

Re: Question

"What year did the war of 1812 start" is too easy for a bot to decipher. I belive some may even have that copy and paste parts of the question into it. Granted the past question had that too.

Anything that has only 4 characters or less as a response wouldn't be good enough.

Alternative: Leave a link to an imgur picture of a word. Put the link up. Tell them to read the word.

Re: "What is Yugi's ace?"

"I dunno, I just saw the first episode! I'm gonna guess... Exodia?"
"Just finished episode two. He almost beat Pegasus with that Skull thing... uhh... Summon Skull? Wrong? Let's try Summoned Skull. Wrong again? Hmm..."
"Yugi cried hard when he lost Exodia. That's gotta be it..."
"Finished the fourth episode! He used that Skull thing again. That's gotta be it! No? Maybe I'm mishearing it. Summoner Skull?"
"Oh... Joey's dueling someone?"
"Okay... Giant Soldier of Stone? The Moon? Come on YCM, work with me!"
"Ugh... "Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #1? Maybe I mispelled something..."
"Mystical Elf? Mystic Horesman? Monster Reborn? Blue Eyes? Celtic Guardian? What is it!?"
"Oh look, Joey's dueling again..."
"Oh... it's the Dark Magician."

-Finished the Battle City Arc-

"It's probably Slifer! No? Okay fine, 'Slifer the Sky Dragon'. No again!? Maybe they're OCGfags. Osiris. No!? Saint Dragon - The God of Osiris. Still nothing!?"

But basically, If we had to do a "what's a guy's ace" card, ask for Kaiba's instead. His has always been Blue Eyes White Dragon, since the very beginning.

Re: "HURR! Honeypot!"

No one knows what you're talking about.

I never thought of the Yugi's ace question that way, good point.

edit: sigged

are you A: unable to look it up for yourself, B: too bull-headed to think anyone knows what I'm talking about so it must not be a thing or C: some combination of the two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_%28computing%29

If you ever want to be taken seriously in anything, you should probably get into the habit of explaining shit. Which you still haven't done by the way,

If you ever want to be taken seriously in anything, you should probably get into the habit of explaining s***. Which you still haven't done by the way,

Geez, it's just a field invisible to humans that bots can see, so the creator knows if it's filled, the person filling it out is a bot.

Don't need to get smarmy with me.

Question:
Are you a bot?

The trick part is, the right answer should be yes, to get to the site.

But no, seriously, a simple math question could work.

That works, though the bot might get smart and just say yes to it.

The math idea sounds good, and I definitely would support it.

However, the questions should be something a 12 or 13-year old can solve it on their own w/out having to resort to a calculator; instead of the simple addition problems. In this case, that would probably be some form of long multiplication/division or intro to pre-algebraic stuff [x + 2 = 2x - 4, what is x or something along those lines]. 

Archived